PDA

View Full Version : SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161

HurricaneHugo
Feb 5, 2008, 9:45 AM
La Jolla Commons

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/HurricaneH/IMAGE_006.jpg?t=1202204595
(notice my bumper falling off)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/HurricaneH/IMAGE_008.jpg?t=1202204657

Nearly crashed into the car in front of me here.:D

I love my new camera-phone.:D

bmfarley
Feb 5, 2008, 3:37 PM
I'd really rather see a major civic project get off the ground before another stadium what about the new main LIBRARY
For me the issue or concern involves city pride. I find it difficult to imagine a a real American city, a national city, a city of significance....without an NFL team (or at least a top notch, upper echelon college team, like LA's USC). Other than LA, is there any top notch city without an NFL team? Or without 2 other pro teams involving baseball or basketball?

Do you consider these top tier cities: Portland, Orlando, Las Vegas, Austin, San Antonio, Albequerque, Memphis, Louisville? I don't. I feel San Diego would fall into this class if the Chargers are lost.... and I don't think that is a good thing on many levels. Tourism.... jobs... and SD being sought for top notch thinking class professional services (consulting) would diminish... and other negative things.

Other than than... Fox News Christy Russo is hot!

Prediction for today... Obama will get more of California's democratic delegates than Clinton.

mello
Feb 5, 2008, 8:19 PM
Like Ben Stiller said in Starsky and Hutch: "DO IT" :cheers:

That would put this city on the farking map. Could you imagine the views from an elevated stadium right on the water. It would be an engineering marvel and world reknowned!! I say floating airport and deck over terminal with a stadium. This city needs some exciting projects some new energy. Hell we are heading in to a serious recession we need something to look forward to.

Derek
Feb 5, 2008, 10:16 PM
Yay for not having money. :banana:

SDCAL
Feb 6, 2008, 8:44 AM
That can wait.

New Chargers stadium please!

no, it can't wait, have you seen the current downtown library ?

We already have the baseball stadium downtown, I would like variety - sports, arts, culture, apparently you favor heavily on sports, but that alone doesn't make a great city

we are woefully lagging in civic development

SDCAL
Feb 6, 2008, 8:53 AM
For me the issue or concern involves city pride. I find it difficult to imagine a a real American city, a national city, a city of significance....without an NFL team (or at least a top notch, upper echelon college team, like LA's USC). Other than LA, is there any top notch city without an NFL team? Or without 2 other pro teams involving baseball or basketball?

Do you consider these top tier cities: Portland, Orlando, Las Vegas, Austin, San Antonio, Albequerque, Memphis, Louisville? I don't. I feel San Diego would fall into this class if the Chargers are lost.... and I don't think that is a good thing on many levels. Tourism.... jobs... and SD being sought for top notch thinking class professional services (consulting) would diminish... and other negative things.

Other than than... Fox News Christy Russo is hot!

Prediction for today... Obama will get more of California's democratic delegates than Clinton.

I'm not sure I follow the logic. Some of the cities you mention have no pro-sports, we have baseball downtown. Some have metro populations half or less the size of San Diego. San Diego is not a world-class city, either by the way, not on the level of SF, LA, NY and we have major league baseball and football. Most people WOULD list San Diego with the cities you mentioned, even with the Chargers and Padres. In fact, Las Vegas is much more recognized globally than we are. I've travelled the world and very few people in remote areas have heard of San Diego, I always have to reference LA or SF. In the larger scope of things, pro-sports has very little to do with how "top=tier" a city is. There are many things that would make SD world-class that have nothing to do with sports.

and, Clinton killed Obama in California ;)

IconRPCV
Feb 6, 2008, 4:01 PM
I want the library and a new Charger stadium. I think that the stadium is a more pressing need however. A city that has tourism as one of its main components needs to have nationally televised games showing however beautiful our city and weather is during the cold winter months.

bmfarley
Feb 6, 2008, 4:12 PM
I'm not sure I follow the logic. Some of the cities you mention have no pro-sports, we have baseball downtown. Some have metro populations half or less the size of San Diego. San Diego is not a world-class city, either by the way, not on the level of SF, LA, NY and we have major league baseball and football. Most people WOULD list San Diego with the cities you mentioned, even with the Chargers and Padres. In fact, Las Vegas is much more recognized globally than we are. I've travelled the world and very few people in remote areas have heard of San Diego, I always have to reference LA or SF. In the larger scope of things, pro-sports has very little to do with how "top=tier" a city is. There are many things that would make SD world-class that have nothing to do with sports.

and, Clinton killed Obama in California ;)
I don't go to Charger games nor do I follow them very closely. However, I want the Chargers to remain in San Diego so the city can retain the NFL status symbol and sense of identity that comes with them. Without the Chargers, and unless there are other pro sports teams here, San Diego loses status and identity (also the economic stimulus that comes with them. But I'll put that aside for now).

To some, that sense of identity or status is not real or it's false or lacks merit. I'd disagree. I believe it plays a role in how people feel or how happy they are. Whether it's true or accurate or not... if people were surveyed on how happy they were, or were better off than they were the year before, a large number of people would respond based on how well the Chargers did the past season.

Oh, I personally am undecided about either Obama or Clinton.. It was just a prediction. Yeah, it looks like I was very wrong. Maybe not in total voter counts... but maybe more wrong with delegates won in this state. I haven't read the paper yet or visited CNN or the LA Times. Note... I didn't list the Tribune.

Derek
Feb 7, 2008, 3:01 AM
I don't know what I would do if the Chargers weren't here. :(

mello
Feb 7, 2008, 3:50 AM
There is no way people in this country would put San Diego in the same echelon of metro area as Louisville, Memphis, Alberquerque, San Antonio, and Austin.

Now Las Vegas and Orlando have much more recognition, I would still bet though if you asked the average American which metro area is significantly the largest out of Orlando, SD, or LV they would say San Diego.

Orlando has one sports team and Disney World. We all know what LV has and movies/TV shows are set there quite often. I believe that in the past 10 years San Diego has really been able to seperate itself from LA and carve out a nice niche on the West Coast. In a way it is kind of looked at as the Miami of the west coast (I said in a way).

So I think this metro area does have a decent identity and of course in remote areas over seas no one will have heard of it LOL, that doesn't matter. You think someone yak hurding in Mongolia knows about any cities besides the top 10 metro areas in the world??:haha:

Derek
Feb 7, 2008, 4:20 AM
From wikipedia:

Chula Vista
Chula Vista officials are discussing multiple sites where the Chargers can build a stadium. Two privately owned sites on the city's east side and two near the waterfront.

One Chula Vista site is located near State Route 125, southwest of the Chula Vista Olympic Training Center. The site has the land that a stadium would require, as well as transportation options for reaching such a venue. However there are concerns about the site’s distance from main transit lines.
One site rests on Chula Vista’s bayfront which is currently occupied by the South Bay Power Plant.
Another site rests in a vacant B.F. Goodrich site adjacent to the property that's already been designated for the Chula Vista Bayfront, a $750 million convention center and hotel complex. The project is set to break ground next year.
Another Chula Vista option falls on private property, owned by residential homebuilder, HomeFed Corp, which owns 3,000 acres (12 km²) in the Otay Ranch area, has conducted talks with the Chargers.[10]
Possible Name Change The Thursday January 17, 2008 issue of the San Diego Union Tribune stated that a name change to the "Chula Vista Chargers" has not been ruled out yet.

Are you shitting me? The Chula Vista Chargers? That's worse than the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

SantaCruzGuy
Feb 7, 2008, 4:45 AM
:previous: ... San Diego Chargers of Chulavista.... :boogy:

bmfarley
Feb 7, 2008, 5:48 AM
^^^
So, I take it that no one has any strong thoughts on the 10th Avenue Marine Terminal as a possible stadium idea?

Derek
Feb 7, 2008, 6:50 AM
I think it would be neat actually. It's just too bad that it won't happen.

HurricaneHugo
Feb 7, 2008, 9:19 AM
^^^
So, I take it that no one has any strong thoughts on the 10th Avenue Marine Terminal as a possible stadium idea?

It'd be amazing but lets be realistic.

And there's no way they change the name to the Chula Vista Chargers.

bmfarley
Feb 7, 2008, 3:55 PM
I am not pimping it. I imagined there would have been more discussion of it.

IconRPCV
Feb 7, 2008, 4:03 PM
The terminal idea would be beyond cool but there is no chance of it happening. I predict that at the last moment the county will get involved and the stadium will end up at the Qualcomm site, not in Chula Vista. I still don't understand why Oceanside backed out I felt their site would have been a perfect fit.

keg92101
Feb 7, 2008, 6:29 PM
The terminal idea would be beyond cool but there is no chance of it happening. I predict that at the last moment the county will get involved and the stadium will end up at the Qualcomm site, not in Chula Vista. I still don't understand why Oceanside backed out I felt their site would have been a perfect fit.

I'm not sure how to read into this one. The developer was not asking to approve, but just giving information. The port seemed nervous, as the article stated they are looking into whether or not a voter approved issue could over rule objection by the commission. The other aspect is the political one. If the voters overwhelmingly support a stadium at that site, and the port sides with a small majority of the "working waterfront", there would be hell to pay. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out. I've always been in favor of shutting down that terminal, as it runs a $10-$11 million dollar deficit every year, and gets a subsidy to break even. Its funny, tax payers scream at public investments in stadiums, which the city receives back a healthy return, but doesn't blink at subsidies to provide jobs like the 10th Ave terminal.

CoastersBolts
Feb 7, 2008, 8:30 PM
If you all are interested, read this blog which is updated about twice a week, about the Chargers search for a new stadium in San Diego County. It's called San Diego Stadium Watch and will be a combination of both articles from the various news sources as well as the blogger's commentary and interviews he conducts with the parties involved.
San Diego Stadium Watch (http://sdstadiumwatch.blogspot.com/)

SDCAL
Feb 8, 2008, 6:42 AM
There is no way people in this country would put San Diego in the same echelon of metro area as Louisville, Memphis, Alberquerque, San Antonio, and Austin.

Now Las Vegas and Orlando have much more recognition, I would still bet though if you asked the average American which metro area is significantly the largest out of Orlando, SD, or LV they would say San Diego.

Orlando has one sports team and Disney World. We all know what LV has and movies/TV shows are set there quite often. I believe that in the past 10 years San Diego has really been able to seperate itself from LA and carve out a nice niche on the West Coast. In a way it is kind of looked at as the Miami of the west coast (I said in a way).

So I think this metro area does have a decent identity and of course in remote areas over seas no one will have heard of it LOL, that doesn't matter. You think someone yak hurding in Mongolia knows about any cities besides the top 10 metro areas in the world??:haha:

Well, international recognition is one indicator of how "world-class" a city is, and it's not remote areas I'm talking about - Have you been overseas and told people your from San Diego?? San Diego does not have widespread recognition in large overseas urban areas in Asia and even Europe. Over and over and over from Rome to Delhi to Bangkok, residents of these major cities who have never been to the US had never heard of San Diego, whereas they had heard of LA, SF and LV

Yes, we have recognition nationally, but even that is skewed. I was in Florida during the wildfires, and when I expressed my concern half the people I talked to had no idea San Diego was even effected at first because all the media attention was on Malibu even though those fires were smaller

I don't argue San Diego is in the process of "carving a niche on the West Coast", but it's not there yet no matter how much we want it to be

IconRPCV
Feb 8, 2008, 5:48 PM
Well, international recognition is one indicator of how "world-class" a city is, and it's not remote areas I'm talking about - Have you been overseas and told people your from San Diego?? San Diego does not have widespread recognition in large overseas urban areas in Asia and even Europe. Over and over and over from Rome to Delhi to Bangkok, residents of these major cities who have never been to the US had never heard of San Diego, whereas they had heard of LA, SF and LV

Yes, we have recognition nationally, but even that is skewed. I was in Florida during the wildfires, and when I expressed my concern half the people I talked to had no idea San Diego was even effected at first because all the media attention was on Malibu even though those fires were smaller

I don't argue San Diego is in the process of "carving a niche on the West Coast", but it's not there yet no matter how much we want it to be

I disagree, I have traveled extensively over seas and even in the more remote parts of South America people knew that San Diego was in California, and many associated it as a beach and surf destination. Yes we are overshadowed by L.A., who cares?

SDCAL
Feb 9, 2008, 4:29 AM
^^ Who cares that we are overshadowed by LA? Usually, people interested in San Diego becoming a world class city are.

The conservative anti-progress NYMBYS who want Sd to remain a sleepy military town forever are the ones who generally "don't care about SD being overshadowed by LA", in fact they like it

HurricaneHugo
Feb 9, 2008, 5:18 AM
When I was in France a lot of people knew about the San Diego Zoo which was strange?

"San Diego? La ville avec le zoologie tres grande?"

LAsam
Feb 9, 2008, 5:22 AM
When I was in France a lot of people knew about the San Diego Zoo which was strange?

"San Diego? La ville avec le zoologie tres grande?"

Well, it is one hell of a zoo.

Derek
Feb 9, 2008, 6:29 AM
I haven't been to the zoo in so long.

dl3000
Feb 9, 2008, 7:42 AM
Whenever I discussed San Diego with French people they knew it was in California but they had no concept of it's size or anything, they just new it was some city down south that they heard about on their visits to SF or LA. One guy though had his son on a foreign exchange program to UCSD.

bmfarley
Feb 9, 2008, 7:31 PM
Well, I never intended that an NFL team in San Diego had anything to do with the city be known around the world. The intent was to convey that San Diego without the Chargers would relegate the city to the national consciousness similar to Memphis, Austin, San Antonio, Portland, or Sacramento.

The point is... no one would miss San Diego if it did not exist. And, businesses both directly related (tourism, some retail sales) and indirectly related (busnisses services, consulting) would be negatively affected.

bmfarley
Feb 11, 2008, 2:59 AM
Some pretty pictures...

This is the proposed Staybridge Suites at the SR163 entrance/exit to downtown. It's going b4 the CCDC Desig Review Committee on the 12th. I can't imagine staying there with the morning rush hour cranking up.... and approaching that stop at Ash from a high rate of speed!

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/farleybrandon/SD%20Bldg%20Pics/163.jpg

Bosa's Ketter & Ash project got CCDC Bord approval a couple of weeks ago. This is the only pic I know of... not certain if the design was sunstantially adjusted.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/farleybrandon/SD%20Bldg%20Pics/KettnerandAsh.jpg

HurricaneHugo
Feb 11, 2008, 8:48 AM
anybody got pics of sapphire/breeza going up?

sandiegodweller
Feb 12, 2008, 3:24 PM
Eye-catching span may get 2nd look

Bridge proposal's price tag balloons
By Jeanette Steele
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

February 12, 2008

SAN DIEGO – When a pedestrian bridge between Petco Park and the Convention Center was envisioned four years ago, officials agreed to make it look grand, an iconic entryway into downtown.
Now that the original $12.8 million price tag has grown to as high as $30 million, they may rethink that.

Does the city return to the drawing board and push for a more ordinary span? Or does it soldier ahead with the proposed eye-catching suspension bridge by San Diego architecture firm Safdie Rabines, trying to rein in costs as best it can?

Those are questions that the Centre City Development Corp., downtown's redevelopment agency, will consider tomorrow.

Two recent bids – one for $23 million and one for $30 million – were rejected by the city over procedural issues, so the agency would have to go out for another round of bidding, anyway.

CCDC Chairman Fred Maas said that starting over won't save the agency money. It has already spent $2.3 million. And $4.8 million in state and federal grants, which have deadlines in June and September, are tied to the current design.

“I said, 'Let's go back and take a look at the utilitarian designs that were presented to us,' ” Maas said. “But the net to the agency was going to be about the same” if the grants were lost.

One critic of redevelopment thinks it's crazy to spend so much on a footbridge.

“I see this as a city with a beer budget and a champagne appetite,” said Mel Shapiro, who has long accused the city of allowing the downtown agency to spend on frills instead of paying back old loans to the cash-strapped city treasury.

At stake are tax dollars – which the downtown redevelopment agency says it can no longer afford to dispense like a cash machine – and public access to San Diego Bay.

The bridge would offer a path to the waterfront for the East Village, downtown's fastest-growing residential neighborhood. At present, the only downtown crossing points along the southern half of Harbor Drive are at Fifth Avenue and at Market Street.

It could also help downtown's parking crunch by making the Port of San Diego's new 2,000-space parking garage more user-friendly for people headed to Petco Park and East Village businesses.

Maas said the agency hopes to find more state or federal funding to help with the extra cost.

Some downtown residents want the redevelopment agency to forge ahead with the iconic blueprint, which uses a stylized central post attached to steel cables.

“If we go back to redesign, we waste a lot of time,” said Sandra Simmons, a longtime downtown resident who is host of an online community for her neighbors. “The cost of construction isn't going to be cheaper tomorrow.”

Gary Smith, president of the 300-member San Diego Downtown Residents Group, said his board of directors likes the idea of an iconic visual statement along Harbor Drive.

Other cities have built not-too-shabby bridges for less, and other states have gotten a lot more for $30 million.

Lake Hodges, near Escondido, is getting a 990-foot pedestrian and bicycle bridge for $10 million. The money is coming from federal, state and local governments. Construction will be finished in March 2009.

Solana Beach built two 120-foot pedestrian bridges over railroad tracks in the past year. The price tags were $2.1 million and $1.34 million. However, those bridges aren't as tall as the proposed downtown span because the tracks in Solana Beach are below street level.

Elsewhere in the nation, $30 million bought a glass-bottomed Skywalk, completed in 2006, that overlooks the Grand Canyon, offering a bird's-eye view of the canyon bottom. And a two-mile Discovery Bridge is being built over the Missouri River between South Dakota and Nebraska at a cost of about $24 million.

Maas said news of the Lake Hodges bridge made him want to take another look at the downtown project.

“We better go find out what they did in that bridge, and why that bridge doesn't work for us,” he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeanette Steele: (619) 293-1030; jen.steele@uniontrib.com

SDCAL
Feb 13, 2008, 4:16 AM
^^^ the article comes with a vote, here are the results so-far

Results
With costs for a landmark pedestrian bridge between Petco Park and the convention center reaching $30 million, what should the city do?
1) Build something more mundane, for much less money.

28.6% (190)
2) Press on with the iconic bridge, it's worth the investment and too much has been invested already.

43.7% (290)
3) Can't people just use a crosswalk there?

27.7% (184)

If you want to vote, go to http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20080212-9999-1m12bridge.html

I can't believe 28% of the people want to just leave the intersection a cross-walk!!!

here is a rendering from the article

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080212/images/bridge430.jpg

bmfarley
Feb 13, 2008, 4:42 AM
^^^ the article comes with a vote, here are the results so-far

Results
With costs for a landmark pedestrian bridge between Petco Park and the convention center reaching $30 million, what should the city do?
1) Build something more mundane, for much less money.

28.6% (190)
2) Press on with the iconic bridge, it's worth the investment and too much has been invested already.

43.7% (290)
3) Can't people just use a crosswalk there?

27.7% (184)

If you want to vote, go to http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20080212-9999-1m12bridge.html

I can't believe 28% of the people want to just leave the intersection a cross-walk!!!

here is a rendering from the article

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080212/images/bridge430.jpg
One... there is no intersection across tracks to Park Blvd.

Survey is flawed from the get-go. A coss-walk is not an option. If Park is going to be opened to Harbor it must come with a Ped bridge. No Ped bridge... no street... and ergo... no crosswalk.

A better option would have been to replace crosswalk with street underpass... but gee... that's gonna cost 100m or more.

I have no knowledge of this project other than what I've read online here, or the Trib site, or the CCDC site.

IconRPCV
Feb 13, 2008, 4:53 AM
I want something that will allow me to walk the to the bay from the east village where I live. As it stands now I have to walk over to 5th ave in the Gaslamp and then walk up over the convention center just to get to the bay, that is insane. I would prefer the grand design, but at this point I just want something.

sandiego_urban
Feb 13, 2008, 6:07 AM
^^I totally agree with you. While I hope the iconic version gets built, it's more important just to get some sort of span built so that East Village can be reconnected to the Bay. Perhaps they should look into making it wider like a a deck span with grass maybe? Just an idea.

I'm not digging the idea of putting a crosswalk there, though. Crossing Harbor Drive and the trolley tracks might be a little frustrating.

bushman61988
Feb 13, 2008, 6:26 AM
^^I totally agree with you. While I hope the iconic version gets built, it's more important just to get some sort of span built so that East Village can be reconnected to the Bay. Perhaps they should look into making it wider like a a deck span with grass maybe? Just an idea.

I'm not digging the idea of putting a crosswalk there, though. Crossing Harbor Drive and the trolley tracks might be a little frustrating.

I believe in the article, it read that a crosswalk is NOT an option, PERIOD. They shut down the Park Blvd. crosswalk when Petco was opened b/c of the Gridlock hell that would occur after gamedays when fans would try to leave..can u imagine the thousands of pedestrians, thousands of cars, AND trains tryin to get through??...It ain't gonna happen.

The only real option is to build a bridge, and either you bite the bullet, build the beautiful, iconic bridge that millions in grants and planning was already put into, or forget all that hard work and start ALL over again from scratch w/ an average, dull, not-so-hot bridge...

Of course, average, dull, and Not-So-Hot is perfect for San Diego! In fact, that pretty much is San Diego when it comes to civic projects. Lets face it, the last really DARING, Exciting, Iconic Architectural Jewel that San Diego built was probably the Balboa Park Buildings 1915-1916...

C'mon CCDC! Build this bridge, even if it is a little pricey! It will last a lifetime!

IconRPCV
Feb 13, 2008, 4:07 PM
I think PETCO Park is pretty iconic.

ucsbgaucho
Feb 13, 2008, 7:29 PM
Port pursues bright idea for bridge

CORONADO – The San Diego-Coronado Bridge soon may be bathed in light after the Port of San Diego approved plans yesterday to pursue an artistic illumination of the majestic structure.

The Port Commission voted for its Public Art Committee to partner with state transportation officials to light the 2.12-mile bridge from underneath.

Commissioner Sylvia Rios interrupted a presentation by Catherine Sass, the port's public art director.

Before the presentation was even finished, Rios wanted to make a motion to authorize the proposal, which also included a $50,000 design budget. The vote was unanimous.

Gaidi Finnie, a member of the art committee, said he was surprised but gratified at the swift decision. Finnie said the project has received widespread support from a number of local, state, military and federal officials.

“I feel I was pushing for this for so long,” Finnie said. “I was relentless. It is such a great project.”

Public opinion on both sides of the bridge appears to favor the project. Maria Lemus of Barrio Logan, whose Evans Street home of 20 years has a view of the bridge, said yesterday she had never heard of the idea but liked it.

“It looks beautiful right now,” Lemus said. “I think it would look very nice with lights.”

Bill Speer, who lives on Glorietta Bay Boulevard in Coronado, said he and his wife, Marsi Steirer, are supporters of the bridge lighting.

“We wouldn't have been if it had been proposed with standard lighting,” said Speer, whose 28 solar roof panels help him offset half his electric costs. “I think it's a great idea to the extent that they use energy-efficient lighting.”

Robert Mosher, architect of the San Diego-Coronado Bridge, attended the meeting prepared to speak in favor of the project.

“It could be a real nighttime asset,” said Mosher, adding that he would love to see the “graceful pylons” under the bridge illuminated.

Finnie said he is not sure what to expect from artists, but it may look nothing like a rendering created by a local architect for his presentations. The rendering shows the bridge bathed in blue light.

Built with 20,000 tons of steel and 94,000 cubic yards of concrete, the bridge opened Aug. 3, 1969. Many have marveled at the dramatic curve of the bridge, which spans the San Diego Bay.

Finnie said two recent examples of bridge lighting are the Sundial Bridge in Redding and the Vincent Thomas Bridge at the Port of Los Angeles. The Sundial Bridge is lighted at night by 210 lights. The Vincent Thomas Bridge uses cost-efficient light-emitting diodes, or LEDs, and a solar photovoltaic system.

Sass said the district hopes to secure arts or lighting grants as the main source of funding for the installation, maintenance and electrical costs.

Finnie said the committee's first step is to seek artist proposals for the lighting plan, which they emphasized must be energy efficient.

“The intent is to get as efficient a design as possible, where cost is not the deciding factor whether to do it or not,” Sass said.

The art committee next will prepare guidelines for the lighting project. Committee members will begin contacting artists for proposals. They will narrow the list to a few artists, who then will be paid about $15,000 each to create models.

Derek
Feb 14, 2008, 3:36 AM
I'd rather see the $30+ million going towards the new library actually.

SDCAL
Feb 14, 2008, 8:28 AM
I'd rather see the $30+ million going towards the new library actually.

I agree with you, I really wish the library would break ground !

SDCAL
Feb 14, 2008, 8:28 AM
looks like the bridge will move forward, no thanks to the Hilton :)

Hilton won't chip in on downtown footbridge

By Jeanette Steele
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

5:38 p.m. February 13, 2008

DOWNTOWN SAN DIEGO – Downtown San Diego will get its iconic footbridge, redevelopment officials said Wednesday, and outside groups or governments might help shoulder the cost that has ballooned to as much as $30 million.
But Hilton won't be among them.

Advertisement The hotel company, which is building a 1,200-room hotel at one end of the proposed Harbor Drive pedestrian bridge, is “counting on” the footpath, spokesman Kip Howard told the agency's board Wednesday.
But when the Centre City Development Corp.'s chairman asked if Hilton, which spent $350 million on the hotel, could share the cost, Howard said, “We feel we have done our fair share.”

Agency Chairman Fred Maas responded, “I'm sure you do.”

The agency will forge ahead on the eye-catching design, which will stretch from Petco Park to the Convention Center. It will open a path over Harbor Drive from the ballpark and East Village to the new Hilton and a 2,000-space Port of San Diego parking garage.

The agency revisited some plainer bridge designs, but officials said choosing one of them would jeopardize state and federal grants and delay the project. Agency President Nancy Graham said she's working with the San Diego Association of Governments to seek more money from the state.

The agency already has a $2 million state grant and is getting $2.8 million from the Federal Highway Administration. JMI Realty, the real estate company of Padres owner John Moores, will contribute $4.9 million.

The bridge's cost has grown from a 2005 estimate of $12.8 million.

Graham said the agency will seek new bidders, since the only two bids submitted in a recent round – one at $23 million and one at $30 million – were rejected for procedural flaws

HurricaneHugo
Feb 14, 2008, 10:16 AM
anybody got pics of sapphire/breeza going up?

Screw you guys then.

SDDTProspector
Feb 14, 2008, 6:57 PM
Here is an interesting link to follow, it addres some of the major contruction developments in SD county. Will have to keep an eye on this link for changes.

http://www.onlinecpi.org/article.php?list=type&type=133

As rumors go, I have one about ball park village.

It still a go.... Right now bids are going out for the construction and it looking to get finilized with the next 6 months. Contruction may start by the end of the year?

Its still huge 2x 500 ft towers and 1 350-400ft tower. 1650+ rooms and 100+ condos. Alot more retail space than previously envisioned and talks for trying to focus the public area as a main attraction for public gatherings..... think times square but much smaller scale. lots of steet level activity.......

I have some friends that work in the concrete industry and try and pry info from them all the time.... Work is slow now but some project will make it through.....

Coastal SD
Feb 14, 2008, 7:10 PM
If Ballpark Village begins construction, that might be the catalyst to push other projects forward that are currently on the fence. Good news that more retail is being considered for the Ballpark Village site. Should be a no-brainer for the developers to be in discussion with ESPN SportsZone for a location there directly across from Petco...

sandiego_urban
Feb 14, 2008, 8:00 PM
Thanks for the great link, SDDTPropector! Some good stuff in there :tup:

Should be a no-brainer for the developers to be in discussion with ESPN SportsZone for a location there directly across from Petco...
There's already going to be a Fox SportsGrill at the new Hilton across the street, which is another reason why they need to get that pedestrian bridge built!

Lastly, I think it would be cool to light up the Coronado Bridge at night.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/downtown%20development%203/sdscene_5large.jpg

sandiego_urban
Feb 14, 2008, 8:27 PM
With news of the Mayor wanting to delay the expansion of the airport terminals at their current location, don't we deserve to see what his grander plans are? That is, to relocate the terminals along the 5 Freeway.

Here our first look at some conceptual renderings. What do you think?

View from the South showing entrances into long-term parking for 20,000 cars and rental car returns along Kettner Blvd., the airport loops and south exits, and the use of the Pacific Highway flyover of Interstate 5 for ingress and egress.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/Misc/07160-Lindbergh20Intermodal20Fac-3.jpg

View from the North showing new Washington Street offramp into the terminal loops, the trolleys and trains exiting the station, and a new MCRD gate
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/Misc/07160-Lindbergh20Intermodal20Facili.jpg

Close-up showing short-term parking for 2,000 cars, the skybridges, a drop-off loop to the right, and train and trolley loop to the left.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/Misc/07160-Lindbergh20Intermodal20Fac-2.jpg

Cutaway revealing Pacific Highway passing under the short-term parking, with the Transportation Center on the left, the airport terminals on the right.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/Misc/07160-Lindbergh20Intermodal20Fac-1.jpg

Aerial showing draft plan to create a Washington Street offramp into the airport loops and Hancock and Kettner streets going behind the intermodal center.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/Misc/NORTH20AERIAL.jpg

Click here for more renderings and info: http://www.caivp.net/files/waterfront/Lindbergh%20ITC%20Handout%20Final%20Small%20File.pdf

Derek
Feb 14, 2008, 11:26 PM
I like it a lot actually. So there would be terminals on both sides of the runway I'm assuming?

Derek
Feb 14, 2008, 11:27 PM
Screw you guys then.

Sorry.:(

I'll try to get a few this weekend.:tup:

CoastersBolts
Feb 15, 2008, 12:48 AM
I say, why not just build an entirely new airport?

Oh, wait, we've already tried that.

HurricaneHugo
Feb 15, 2008, 5:18 AM
This expansion would be good for like 5 years...

Anyways, did anybody see just how LOW the snowlevel is?

I heard something like 2,500ft...

I was at UCSD today and almost crashed my bus (im a shuttle driver) when I saw the snow on top of the mountains to the direct north-north east of ucsd that can't be taller than 3k feet....I took a pic but I need to be home in order to upload it (still at school studying!)

SDCAL
Feb 15, 2008, 6:38 AM
it seems like a complete waste to do that much work to Lindbergh, not addressing the short, one-runway problem. Thos are pretty drastic changes for a temporary band-aid fix

BUILD A NEW AIRPORT!!!!

sandiego_urban
Feb 15, 2008, 8:16 AM
^^That's exactly what I was thinking. If they were to ever go forward with moving the terminals, we can pretty much count on the airport never being moved. I do like the idea of the trolley and train stopping there, though.

Anyways, did anybody see just how LOW the snowlevel is?

I heard something like 2,500ft...

I was at UCSD today and almost crashed my bus (im a shuttle driver) when I saw the snow on top of the mountains to the direct north-north east of ucsd that can't be taller than 3k feet....I took a pic but I need to be home in order to upload it (still at school studying!)
Today's storm was crazy and came as a total surprise even to the forecasters. 2,500 feet? Try 600 feet! They had measurable snow in Ramona and flakes being reported in Escondido and El Cajon.

Check out Valley Center, near Escondido today
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/Misc/080214palomar.jpg

IconRPCV
Feb 15, 2008, 5:50 PM
Tha airport expansion looks really cool, too bad it is in the wrong place. We need to move the airport out of the center city so we can have more than one runway and get some overseas flights, otherwise why even bother.

staplesla
Feb 15, 2008, 11:05 PM
A lot of thought obviously went into these new drawings and it looks great. However, I don't understand why a city like San Diego which is a tourist destination for not only Americans but international tourists as well, would put all of this money into a new terminal for a one-runway airport. This is small minded thinking. If you look closely at the first picture too you'll see there is no room for expansion as the gates butt up against the runway.

I just moved here from Dallas and the DFW airport with 7 runways and Love Field with 3 have an economic impact of 11 billion and 125,000 jobs on the area. Imagine the impact that a well thought out airport in San Diego County with larger capacity could have on the region.

Derek
Feb 16, 2008, 6:55 AM
NIMBYs

PadreHomer
Feb 17, 2008, 8:19 PM
Still the same runway, still the same curfew, Miramar makes total sense to everyone but most of the citizens of the city I guess.

SD_Phil
Feb 17, 2008, 9:34 PM
I was at UCSD today and almost crashed my bus (im a shuttle driver)

Which route?

I take Arriba to get to campus!

Derek
Feb 17, 2008, 10:00 PM
Still the same runway, still the same curfew, Miramar makes total sense to everyone but most of the citizens of the city I guess.

The government doesn't want to give it up either.

HurricaneHugo
Feb 17, 2008, 10:24 PM
Which route?

I take Arriba to get to campus!

I'm a n00b driver so I get stuck with Loop and Torrey Pines.

I've done Arriba from time to time though, driving a bus with 70+ people is fun!

visionary
Feb 19, 2008, 12:27 AM
Anybody know anything about this project?

http://www.mc-architects.com/Millenium_Hotel.html

bmfarley
Feb 19, 2008, 1:11 AM

From that website:
MILLENIUM TOWER
San Diego, California

Client: Capital Ventures, Ltd.
Site Area: 10 Acres
Building Area: 1.6 Million SF; 40 stories
Rooms: 1,300
Cost: $300 Million
Completion: NA

The design theme centers on the architectonics of the site’s maritime setting to produce a structure which reflects the image of both a sail and a lighthouse. The curved tower embraces a five story atrium that contains an array of retail shops and restaurants, and overlooks the marina. This voluminous space activates the terminus of the south embarcadero promenade.

The signature element of this development is the lighthouse – a circular tower clad in stainless steel and fretted glass. Atop this structure is a bar and lounge with magnificent views of downtown, the Pacific Ocean and the Coronado Islands.

So, what is considered the 'South Embarcadero Promenade?" Belw are my 3 guesses.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/farleybrandon/SD%20Bldg%20Pics/SouthEmbarcadero2.jpg

bmfarley
Feb 19, 2008, 1:23 AM
I cruised downtown today and snapped some pictures of Bayside, Breeza and Saphire. And one of Vantage Point.

Bayside

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/farleybrandon/SD%20Bldg%20Pics/DSCF2944.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/farleybrandon/SD%20Bldg%20Pics/DSCF2946.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/farleybrandon/SD%20Bldg%20Pics/DSCF2954.jpg

Breeza

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/farleybrandon/SD%20Bldg%20Pics/DSCF2949.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/farleybrandon/SD%20Bldg%20Pics/DSCF2982.jpg

Saphire

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/farleybrandon/SD%20Bldg%20Pics/DSCF2956.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/farleybrandon/SD%20Bldg%20Pics/DSCF2955.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/farleybrandon/SD%20Bldg%20Pics/DSCF2977.jpg

Vantage Point

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/farleybrandon/SD%20Bldg%20Pics/DSCF2974.jpg

northbay
Feb 19, 2008, 1:32 AM
wow, these are making a lot of progress

thanks for the construction update finally ;)

HurricaneHugo
Feb 19, 2008, 1:41 AM

Seen in a couple of times before, not exactly sure if it will actually be built.

Urban Sky
Feb 19, 2008, 4:35 AM
hey san diego urban - thanks for the airport renderings. too bad its still for our lame one-runway airport. they need to just move it. for the current location, i couldnt think of a better design then the one above but its never going to solve all the other problems.

HurricaneHugo
Feb 19, 2008, 8:33 AM
What the hell??!

We're having a city election soon?

I just noticed a bunch of vote for steve francis for mayor (or something like that) driving home today

ShekelPop
Feb 19, 2008, 6:05 PM
Seen in a couple of times before, not exactly sure if it will actually be built.

I remember looking at that concept once before, I seem to recall that this hotel would have been located where the proposed Spinnaker hotel is supposed to be constructed.

Urban Sky
Feb 20, 2008, 4:37 PM
What the hell??!

We're having a city election soon?

I just noticed a bunch of vote for steve francis for mayor (or something like that) driving home today

We are??? I havent seen anything

CoastersBolts
Feb 20, 2008, 9:02 PM
^Yes, we are. Mayor, city attorney, and most of the city council are up for grabs. Councilmember Brian Maeinschein (R) and Council President Scott Peters (D) are among the challengers to Mike Aguirre for the city attorney's race and Mayor Sanders will be up against Steve Francis in the mayor's race. The election is in June for all positions and the top two in each will match up in a run off election in November.

SDCAL
Feb 20, 2008, 9:58 PM
I remember looking at that concept once before, I seem to recall that this hotel would have been located where the proposed Spinnaker hotel is supposed to be constructed.

I like it better than the Spinnaker proposal ;)

keg92101
Feb 21, 2008, 5:12 AM
I like it better than the Spinnaker proposal ;)

There's going to be a public input meeting on the redevelopment of the Civic Centre tomorrow. Anyone planning on going? I am hoping that Hines is going to win the deal. They are in partnership with Pelli Clarke, who has done some amazing buildings, including SF's new Trans-Bay terminal.

bushman61988
Feb 21, 2008, 5:38 AM
There's going to be a public input meeting on the redevelopment of the Civic Centre tomorrow. Anyone planning on going? I am hoping that Hines is going to win the deal. They are in partnership with Pelli Clarke, who has done some amazing buildings, including SF's new Trans-Bay terminal.

I'm not sure, but I was VERY disappointed when I read the following story on the Union Tribune:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080220/news_1m20civic.html

"Neither developer is marketing itself as the one that will bring an iconic City Hall complex to San Diego.

“This is an opportunity for San Diego to take its rightful place at the table of top 10 cities, but my solution for that would not be architecture,” Cody said.

The solution would be a more user-friendly civic center that fixes one of the city's financial problems, he said.

The architect chosen by Hines, Twardowski said, would build “a great office building first, that functions very well and that matches the budget, and then they are excellent at melding that with beautiful architecture.” "

EXCUSE ME??? The solution IS NOT ARCHITECTURE?? What kind of development group is this?! You guys are designing a F****** Civic Center for one of the largest cities in the United States and you don't care about Architecture?!?!

Why am I so surprised...this is just perfect for San Diego...another ugly-ass civic center that will be outdated in another 10 years.

This town has no sense of style or vision whatsoever.

keg92101
Feb 21, 2008, 5:57 AM
I'm not sure, but I was VERY disappointed when I read the following story on the Union Tribune:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080220/news_1m20civic.html

"Neither developer is marketing itself as the one that will bring an iconic City Hall complex to San Diego.

“This is an opportunity for San Diego to take its rightful place at the table of top 10 cities, but my solution for that would not be architecture,” Cody said.

The solution would be a more user-friendly civic center that fixes one of the city's financial problems, he said.

The architect chosen by Hines, Twardowski said, would build “a great office building first, that functions very well and that matches the budget, and then they are excellent at melding that with beautiful architecture.” "

EXCUSE ME??? The solution IS NOT ARCHITECTURE?? What kind of development group is this?! You guys are designing a F****** Civic Center for one of the largest cities in the United States and you don't care about Architecture?!?!

Why am I so surprised...this is just perfect for San Diego...another ugly-ass civic center that will be outdated in another 10 years.

This town has no sense of style or vision whatsoever.

You missed it the whole point. Cody from Portland's firm won't be chosen because they don't plan on doing a 1st class facility. The fact that Hines has chosen Pelli Clarke, and has a long standing history of architectural iconic developments is why they will be selected. Hines/PC will design a great city office tower, and then blend everything to compiment that. Keep the faith. If CCDC is in charge of the selection, it will be Hines.

You also have to understand, that the city is terified of earmarking funds for this project, due to an outcry of the suburbs crying for the city to fix their streets! The future of SD is in the city proper: South of 8, west of 15.

HurricaneHugo
Feb 21, 2008, 9:15 AM
Damnit, i'm just east of the 15. :(

dl3000
Feb 21, 2008, 11:15 AM
Wait so how is the city paying for this? Honestly, knowing the financial state and whatnot, I was expecting to see a new airport before a new civic center since airports getting funding from all over but I guess its easier to build an urban complex than an airport. Funny how that works.

keg92101
Feb 21, 2008, 5:34 PM
Wait so how is the city paying for this? Honestly, knowing the financial state and whatnot, I was expecting to see a new airport before a new civic center since airports getting funding from all over but I guess its easier to build an urban complex than an airport. Funny how that works.

It will be a public/private investment. The city will only invest in the project if it equals or is less than what they currently pay for office space + expenses.

staplesla
Feb 21, 2008, 8:09 PM
Hey guys, Jim Madaffer, city council member, sent me the following email:

"Could you please tell me where you might suggest we build a DFW type airport in San Diego County ? 35 years of studies have failed miserably to identify a site, voters have twice rejected Miramar and I doubt more land is available today than there was back then.

Thanks,

Jim
Jim@SanDiego.gov"

I've replied with what I believe would be a good location.

I'm curious though where you all could envision a new airport.

Jobohimself
Feb 21, 2008, 10:02 PM
What about all that vacant land off SR 56?

It doesn't look like SD will have a proper Financial District, at least in my lifetime...

Derek
Feb 21, 2008, 10:17 PM
All those people off the 56 would have the biggest shit fit you've ever seen.

CoastersBolts
Feb 21, 2008, 11:21 PM
^^ A San Diego City Councilmember actually replied to you?! I've written letters many, many times (and yes, they've all been courteous, nice, and respectful) and never once have I been written back. Madaffer probably feels he has nothing to lose at this point since his term is up.

dl3000
Feb 21, 2008, 11:42 PM
Yeah ONLY place you can build a DFW is the desert, period. Now if you want to talk maybe an LAX or something like sky harbor then I still can't get over Miramar because nobody would want to travel to campo or camp pendleton and otay has a mountain in the way. Maybe if they made a deal with mexico on sharing airspace or something they could turn the runways in otay so that the approach would be from the south but thats too many strings to pull.

mello
Feb 22, 2008, 1:05 AM
Too bad the semi large valley that Ramona sits in is kind of filled with low density "ranches" and acre lot homes. That valley is actually quite large. I know that it is surrounded by some steep hills and a freeway would probably have to be tunneled to the hills on the west side of Ramona.

I would say that maybe back in the 70's or early 80's an airport could have been weasled in there without having to buy out or displace tons of people but obviously now it won't work.

The valley that Warner Springs is in is even bigger but the terrain to the West of it is simply too rugged to get a wide freeway to. It really isn't that far East it just takes a long time to get there because the 76 is so windy.

I think the South Western portion of Camp Pendelton could fit in a LAX sized airport in acreage. But my vote is definitely still for Miramar.

Or fuck that wildlife refuge between Imperial Beach and the Border, who needs nature!! They could get parellel 10,000 foot runways in there for sure:yes:

staplesla
Feb 22, 2008, 2:03 AM
^^ A San Diego City Councilmember actually replied to you?! I've written letters many, many times (and yes, they've all been courteous, nice, and respectful) and never once have I been written back. Madaffer probably feels he has nothing to lose at this point since his term is up.

I actually received a bunch of responses from various members. All agreed that a different location would be better, but seem frustrated that no one can agree on one.

hi123
Feb 22, 2008, 2:11 AM
It looks like Vantage point will look much better then in the renderings! There is much more glass then the on the model!

hi123
Feb 22, 2008, 5:12 AM
I recently came across this photo on flickr of the del cornado with many building under construction in the background:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2376/2251164329_dde7d57ce0_o.jpg

Any info or renderings of these projects? They don't seem to be mentioned of the first post.

bmfarley
Feb 22, 2008, 5:40 AM
Any info or renderings of these projects? They don't seem to be mentioned of the first post.
^^^ Those appear to be the Navy barracks under construction in Southeast San Diego. I believe each of the 3 towers is 16 to 24 floors.

SDCAL
Feb 22, 2008, 5:51 AM
Normally, I have little sympathy for politicians, but in the case of moving the airport I do. They are not fools, they know that Lindbergh's time will be up in the next couple of decades, but what to do when the public is too stupid to peer into the future and see the disaster looming ahead

When these stories ran in the UT, there were tons of comments like:

"I fly a few times a year and it's never crowded"

or

"Lindbergh is so convinient, I don't want it to move"

The average citizen is not concerned with FAA statistics that Lindbergh will reach capacity in 15-20 years. Most don't even realize Sd is the worlds 2nd busiest single runway airport, or that our 1 runway is too short to accomodate large planes.

They simply know that right now, in their own little worlds, Lindbergh fits.

The politicans MUST do a better job of informing the public as to what the FAA is saying, and what the disadvantages will be if Lindbergh is not moved. We will see back-ups in flights, more expenisve tickets, and longer waits as passenger traffic keeps increasing

And, with the current plans of a band-aid fix that DOESN'T address the runway problems but does address the issues of more gates and transportation improvements at Lindbergh, the public will more than ever be suckered into thinking Lindbergh is fine for a long-term option

They will see all the new improvements and think, WOW, see this airport is great where it's at

Any talk of a new aiprot during the years of construction to improve Lindbergh will be ridiculed by people saying "new airport?????? we are spending millions to improve Lindbergh!!!!

I say the politicans need to step and and say, look San Diego - we are NOT sinking ANY money into Lindbergh. It's a money-pit and will reach capacity in the coming 1-2 decades even WITH the proposed improvements. Call on citizens to accept a new alternative

Politicians also need to realize that wherever the new airport location is, people will be pissed. It's a fact of life, NIMBYs, you have to suck it up and proceed anyway else nothing will get accomplished

It is so frustrating because I think a large international airport would bring more money, tourism, business, cluture and development to our city yet I see the situation literally festering well past 2030 :(

mello
Feb 22, 2008, 6:13 AM
^^^ Post of the year my friend. I echo your sentiments exactly. I really like the point you made about people ridiculing discussion of a new airport site while the construction is going on at Lindbergh. Oh well, if this metro area doesn't step up then this town will begin hemoraging jobs and really stagnate. What a shame.

You would think this kind of thing would happen in Jacksonville or Memphis not a vibrant West Coast city. But wow it has been happening here for decades.

sandiego_urban
Feb 22, 2008, 6:36 AM
Vantage Point

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/farleybrandon/SD%20Bldg%20Pics/DSCF2974.jpg

It looks like Vantage point will look much better then in the renderings! There is much more glass then the on the model!
I totally agree! It doesn't look as brown (even the glass) as I thought it would be - yet.

Hey guys, Jim Madaffer, city council member, sent me the following email:

"Could you please tell me where you might suggest we build a DFW type airport in San Diego County ? 35 years of studies have failed miserably to identify a site, voters have twice rejected Miramar and I doubt more land is available today than there was back then.

Thanks,

Jim
Jim@SanDiego.gov"

I've replied with what I believe would be a good location.

I'm curious though where you all could envision a new airport.
Wow, I'm also impressed that Madaffer responded back to you.

Unlike Dallas, San Diego has man-made and natural restrictions that prevent the city from spreading out in all directions, not to mention all of the canyons and hills throughout the metro area. I'm curious, where did you suggest to him would be a good place for a new airport?

Cody from Portland's firm won't be chosen because they don't plan on doing a 1st class facility. The fact that Hines has chosen Pelli Clarke, and has a long standing history of architectural iconic developments is why they will be selected.
You can see what the two finalists submitted to CCDC here: http://www.ccdc.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/projects.civiccenter. Just click on the zip files under "Developer Selection".

Because Hines is using Pelli as the main architect, they get my vote! :tup:

bmfarley
Feb 22, 2008, 6:55 AM
Normally, I have little sympathy for politicians, but in the case of moving the airport I do. They are not fools, they know that Lindbergh's time will be up in the next couple of decades, but what to do when the public is too stupid to peer into the future and see the disaster looming ahead

or

The average citizen is not concerned with FAA statistics that Lindbergh will reach capacity in 15-20 years. Most don't even realize Sd is the worlds 2nd busiest single runway airport, or that our 1 runway is too short to accomodate large planes.

The politicans MUST do a better job of informing the public as to what the FAA is saying, and what the disadvantages will be if Lindbergh is not moved. We will see back-ups in flights, more expenisve tickets, and longer waits as passenger traffic keeps increasing

And, with the current plans of a band-aid fix that DOESN'T address the runway problems but does address the issues of more gates and transportation improvements at Lindbergh, the public will more than ever be suckered into thinking Lindbergh is fine for a long-term option

They will see all the new improvements and think, WOW, see this airport is great where it's at

Any talk of a new aiprot during the years of construction to improve Lindbergh will be ridiculed by people saying "new airport?????? we are spending millions to improve Lindbergh!!!!

I say the politicans need to step and and say, look San Diego - we are NOT sinking ANY money into Lindbergh. It's a money-pit and will reach capacity in the coming 1-2 decades even WITH the proposed improvements. Call on citizens to accept a new alternative

Politicians also need to realize that wherever the new airport location is, people will be pissed. It's a fact of life, NIMBYs, you have to suck it up and proceed anyway else nothing will get accomplished

It is so frustrating because I think a large international airport would bring more money, tourism, business, cluture and development to our city yet I see the situation literally festering well past 2030 :(

Well, I have the perspective that the public needs proof before getting behind something bold.

Lindbergh is just an example. And here, it must expereince 1) miserable delays, 2) constant head banging reports of lost commercial activity, and maybe 3) local defense department heads complaining about delays and possible relocations.... before the public is compelled to act.

Again, Lindbergh is just an example. There are probably a multitude of other problems that need to be addressed with a real solution... yet the public will not budge until failure of that system actually occurrs.

In my opinion... this region is not pro-active. It's re-active.

Jobohimself
Feb 22, 2008, 7:29 AM
All those people off the 56 would have the biggest shit fit you've ever seen.

I would LOVE to see that. Both the shit fits and the new airport. Hell, it's better than more sprawl...:yuck:

dl3000
Feb 22, 2008, 7:31 AM
That along with the fact that the most prime airport building land is spoken for by the government and will not give it up for another what is it 10 years per BRAC?

SEsdCALconnect
Feb 22, 2008, 3:22 PM
I recently came across this photo on flickr of the del cornado with many building under construction in the background:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2376/2251164329_dde7d57ce0_o.jpg

Nice view of my part of town...those towers make up Pacific Beacon at the 32nd St. Naval Station

http://pacificbeacon.com/

This was mentioned a few pages ago as a matter of fact and they are looking pretty good...next up, new high-rises in National City!

Derek
Feb 22, 2008, 6:16 PM
Or fuck that wildlife refuge between Imperial Beach and the Border, who needs nature!! They could get parellel 10,000 foot runways in there for sure:yes:

:yes:

staplesla
Feb 22, 2008, 8:33 PM

or

I think it is time that many of us start writing the city council and more importantly the media outlets. Until all the facts are reported by the media the mindset of most in San Diego won't change. I don't think we should spend money (especially considering the SD financial problems) on new terminals that do not resolve the major issues in the longrun.

City Council email addresses - http://www.sandiego.gov/citycouncil
San Diego Tribune - letters@uniontrib.com, jeff.rose@uniontrib.com
News8 - news8@kfmb.com
Fox6 - newstips@fox6.com
News10 - webstaff@10news.com
NBC - http://www.nbcsandiego.com/contactus/index.html

Urban Sky
Feb 22, 2008, 8:47 PM
I think it is time that many of us start writing the city council and more importantly the media outlets. Until all the facts are reported by the media the mindset of most in San Diego won't change. I don't think we should spend money (especially considering the SD financial problems) on new terminals that do not resolve the major issues in the longrun.

City Council email addresses - http://www.sandiego.gov/citycouncil
San Diego Tribune - letters@uniontrib.com, jeff.rose@uniontrib.com
News8 - news8@kfmb.com
Fox6 - newstips@fox6.com
News10 - webstaff@10news.com
NBC - http://www.nbcsandiego.com/contactus/index.html

Writing to the local government is not going to get anything accomplished. You still have to convince the voting public and then talk the federal government into giving up the land around Miramar. That is the only area that makes any sense.

staplesla
Feb 22, 2008, 8:56 PM
Writing to the local government is not going to get anything accomplished. You still have to convince the voting public and then talk the federal government into giving up the land around Miramar. That is the only area that makes any sense.

That's why I suggested contacting media outlets. Unless people raise a fuss, no one will care or report on anything. If the media outlets were being inundated with emails they'd see there is a story there and hopefully dig deeper.

SDCAL
Feb 23, 2008, 3:37 AM

It's better than doing nothing.

Someone on this board got a response back from a city council member who seemed interested in finding a solution, if the politicians get enough mail they could start treating the problem with more urgency

I share your skepticism that it won't accomplish much, but it is worth a try!! I am going to write to them,
thanks straplesa for providing the email addresses!!!!

HurricaneHugo
Feb 23, 2008, 11:49 PM
That's why I suggested contacting media outlets. Unless people raise a fuss, no one will care or report on anything. If the media outlets were being inundated with emails they'd see there is a story there and hopefully dig deeper.

yeah the media needs to portray that cat that if san diego doesnt get a new airport soon it will be loosing millions of dollars due to their current one-runway airport

HurricaneHugo
Feb 26, 2008, 4:16 AM
While studying, I randomly came about a book called

Mid-Coast Corridor
San Diego, California
Locally preferred alternative report

by the San Diego Metropolitan Transit Development Board

It was written in 1995, and it's interesting since it outlines several projects, like a Nobel Drive Coaster Rail Station, a Gilman Coaster Rail Station, the Sorrento Valley Commuter Rail Station, the Mid-Coast LRT alignment, and an HOV Lanes project (stretching from the 5/805 split down to the 8).

I didn't know about the Gilman and Nobel Drive coaster stations or the HOV lanes project.

Any ideas if any of these projects will actually be built?

staplesla
Feb 26, 2008, 4:49 AM
While studying, I randomly came about a book called

Mid-Coast Corridor
San Diego, California
Locally preferred alternative report

by the San Diego Metropolitan Transit Development Board

It was written in 1995, and it's interesting since it outlines several projects, like a Nobel Drive Coaster Rail Station, a Gilman Coaster Rail Station, the Sorrento Valley Commuter Rail Station, the Mid-Coast LRT alignment, and an HOV Lanes project (stretching from the 5/805 split down to the 8).

I didn't know about the Gilman and Nobel Drive coaster stations or the HOV lanes project.

Any ideas if any of these projects will actually be built?

According to the website 2014 is the target date.

http://www.keepsandiegomoving.com/mid-coast.html