PDA

View Full Version : SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161

dales5050
Feb 26, 2014, 1:09 AM
Most of the merchants and people working at restaurants downtown that I've heard from all say that business suffers on game days. I don't really think the people going to the games spend all that much money elsewhere, and with all those spectators taking up parking and adding to traffic, everyone else tends to stay away on those days. Adding a second stadium event would probably only increase this effect of game day sales losses for downtown businesses.

I am not sure the Padres are a good measuring tool. Couple of reasons...

1 - The team sucks and thus the fans suck and are fair weather fans. What I have been told is Padres fans suck. One bartender told me that they staff 6 bartenders for after a game. By the 7th if the Padres are down, they send 2 home. If the Padres lose, they send home another 2.

If you have ever been downtown when Boston, LA or St. Louis is in town..it's a different story. Charger fans are different. I also think things would change if the Padres were better.

2 - The times of Padres games are bad. 7pm is much different than 1pm. I think the game times for the Padres is what makes traffic so bad. That said,
I don't see the traffic as being as big of an issue as people make it out to be honestly. Traffic is always going to be there for anything worth going to. It's just a reality. I think the product is more of a problem than traffic.

3 - Last and most important, I think the biggest reason why a lot of places don't see a boost from games is how they are setup. Places that cater to sports fans (cheap beer/food) are slammed. Places that cater to the club scene ($15 drinks) or tourists (cheesy) are not.

I think a football stadium would force a 'Second Gaslamp' if you will..where bars would be less pretentious and thus more profitable.

SDfan
Feb 26, 2014, 2:31 AM
I haven't seen any reasons for a downtown stadium that are all that convincing. It's either "build it because nothing else will be built" (development for the sake of development is not smart development, take a look at Mission Valley for that case study), "build it because it will boost the downtown economy" (downtown has been doing just fine this past decade without football), or "build it because we need to keep the Chargers," (okay, but weigh the scales, large sports complex downtown or actual neighborhood growth?). And the sad thing is, there is a viable alternative to downtown (ie, Mission Valley).

I know there is a lot of land left downtown, but I'm actually thinking long term (more than 50 years). As my generation (millennials) push for more urban housing and amenities in the coming decades, and as less and less space becomes available for development in other neighborhoods (either physically or by regulation, and fun side note, my neighborhood is fighting to downzone, YES DOWNZONE the area... way to go Golden Hill/South Park) there won't be a whole lot of land for high-density housing left in our region.

Yes, there is a lot of space now, but go to the top of the new library and look out over the East Village. It's not that big. It's actually quite small. And yes, there are numerous low-rise/mid-rise structures that could be demolished, but with how San Diego operates in terms of historical preservation/NIMBYism I don't realistically think it's going to be a piece of cake tearing things down.

A football stadium, even if designed well, is a waste of space in an urban environment like downtown San Diego. Yes, Petco has been lovely, it was a catalyst (debatable as that is) and it's aesthetically pleasing. But we don't need a repeat. The East Village can hum along quite nicely. It has been, and continues to be.

In terms of traffic and parking, whatever. Central city areas are always congested. However, building more parking garages would be a waste of space and counter to pro-transit efforts. If a downtown stadium were to be approved I would at least stipulate that no new parking structures be built to accommodate Charger fans. Take the train bolts.

Is a stadium more glorious and flashy than organic urban growth. Yeah. Is it better? Meh. The voters will decide (maybe).

I'm predicting the Los Angeles Chargers or Southern California Chargers before the EV gets a stadium.

SDfan
Feb 26, 2014, 2:36 AM
Here are three new hotels proposed in East Village by the company that developed the Residence Inn in the Gaslamp.
Courtyard: 2015 Completion. Already Approved
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7325/12780436463_b0b4021ea1.jpg
Fairfield Inn: 2016 Completion. Just filed with CivicSD
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3696/12780435893_ac52e1f2f5.jpg
Hampton Inn: 2017 Completion. This one I just found on their website.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7377/12780749054_b694d1ffdf.jpg
Here is a link to their website. http://www.jstreethospitality.com

Awesome infill. Thank you for posting.

Erip
Feb 26, 2014, 8:26 AM
This page has some amazing pictures of San Diego as it's grown over the years. Fun too look at, downtown has really grown. Hope ya'll enjoy. Voiceofsandiego mentioned this page yesterday: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vintage-San-Diego/181625028554101?ref=ts&fref=ts

tyleraf
Feb 26, 2014, 10:28 PM
Good news, Lankford and Associates does have an operator for Lane Field, but the lady that I was in contact with said she couldn't say who it was yet.

tyleraf
Feb 27, 2014, 12:46 AM
Uptown Streetcar Open House this Saturday at St Paul's Cathedral. Hopefully this happens as it will be great for downtown and the surrounding communities.https://www.facebook.com/sdhistoricstreetcarproject/posts/747944015239079:0

spoonman
Feb 27, 2014, 4:46 AM
Uptown Streetcar Open House this Saturday at St Paul's Cathedral. Hopefully this happens as it will be great for downtown and the surrounding communities.https://www.facebook.com/sdhistoricstreetcarproject/posts/747944015239079:0

I hope that the design is compatible with the current Trolley, and not a throwback for tourists. I will not be in town, but anyone interested would be wise to attend.

aerogt3
Feb 27, 2014, 7:41 AM
"build it because we need to keep the Chargers," (okay, but weigh the scales, large sports complex downtown or actual neighborhood growth?).

There is no neighborhood growth happening that far outside core DT. There are a few decades of empty lots to be developed before people even think about building out there.

I know there is a lot of land left downtown, but I'm actually thinking long term (more than 50 years).

By that time, the stadium would be replaced if it really were taking needed land. Right now (and for quite some time into the future), that land isn't going to be needed or used. The only thing the market will bear is a stadium, or nothing.

Erip
Feb 27, 2014, 7:58 AM
Ballpark Village approved: www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/feb/26/ballpark-village-project/

SDfan
Feb 28, 2014, 1:04 AM
There is no neighborhood growth happening that far outside core DT. There are a few decades of empty lots to be developed before people even think about building out there.

So projects like Ballpark Village and 15th and Island (over 900 apartments in that project alone) are either not happening (one just approved and the other at least 7 stories above ground last I saw) or aren't within the geographic confines of your area (one right next door, the other just a few blocks north)

By that time, the stadium would be replaced if it really were taking needed land. Right now (and for quite some time into the future), that land isn't going to be needed or used. The only thing the market will bear is a stadium, or nothing.

I doubt any location after a downtown stadium would be built could be allowed. There is barely any available land for a stadium now, let alone 50-60 years from today in a region already constrained geographically.

And the Chargers, not the market, are saying stadium. As far as I can see from development patterns in the east village now (and by all of the cranes in the sky), the market is just fine without a stadium in the neighborhood. It just simply isn't needed. If it was the Chargers would break ground yesterday. So it's not stadium or nothing. You're over simplifying the situation. And it's not even approved yet! It's just a pipe dream for now. :rolleyes:

Mehhhh.

SDfan
Feb 28, 2014, 1:07 AM

I want to go to this just to count how many people complain about how this is going to take away parking spaces and bring homeless people to Hillcrest.

spoonman
Feb 28, 2014, 5:33 AM
I want to go to this just to count how many people complain about how this is going to take away parking spaces and bring homeless people to Hillcrest.

I believe this project is the first step in getting the train into the uptown neighborhoods. As I have said, I hope the design is truly functional and compatible with out current system.

Here is a study that was done on the project. The Zoo station is within brisk walking distance from Park & Upas in North Park.

http://www.sdmts.com/documents/City-Park-Streetcar-Full-Study.pdf

Prahaboheme
Feb 28, 2014, 6:45 PM
I read through the feasibility study and this does look like a fantastic opportunity to finally connect the Uptown neighborhoods to downtown. However, there doesn't seem to be any mention of a "Phase II" to Uptown in this plan (I may have missed it).

I guess I am just curious as to why the initial phase of the project wouldn't reach Unviersity / Park (and then Phase II could reach El Cajon / Park and possibly further east along El Cajon into North Park / City Heights).

This streetcar line seems to serve mainly tourists who are trying to access the zoo, whereas if this were extended just another mile north into Uptown, the ridership numbers would like double/triple due to the inbound use of residents going to downtown / East Village.

dales5050
Feb 28, 2014, 7:39 PM
I haven't seen any reasons for a downtown stadium that are all that convincing. It's either "build it because nothing else will be built" (development for the sake of development is not smart development, take a look at Mission Valley for that case study), "build it because it will boost the downtown economy" (downtown has been doing just fine this past decade without football), or "build it because we need to keep the Chargers," (okay, but weigh the scales, large sports complex downtown or actual neighborhood growth?). And the sad thing is, there is a viable alternative to downtown (ie, Mission Valley).

For me personally, I think clustering sports stadiums near each other makes the most sense. That is why I think DT is the only logical conclusion.

Regarding other points...

I see San Diego differently that most major cities. Unlike places like Chicago or New York..I don't see San Diego ever having a TRUE core. I think the development around UTC has pretty much set the trajectory of San Diego being a city of multiple hubs if you will.

I just don't San Diego is ever going to get a true 'all roads lead to Rome' public transit network and thus should not focus on the 'all roads lead to Rome' downtown. Instead, focus on creating 5-6 hub centers for the area that would resemble a much smaller downtown of mid-size cities.

That said, I think the Sports Arena and current Qualcomm sites are PRIME locations for additional hubs. They would be smaller than the UTC hub but still could be very dense hubs.

Each could have their own focus/flavor/personality. Mass transit could focus on just connecting the hubs, rather than trying to connect everything.

Going beyond that, you then take the neighborhoods and follow the formula of North Park and make each resemble 'Villages' if you will.

It's out there but to me this makes sense.

Streamliner
Feb 28, 2014, 10:25 PM
From what I read on the issue, it was the drive through that was controversial/problematic, not the restaurant per se. Kind of like how residents in North Park were opposed to the Jack N the Box drivethru, this instance had many of the same arguments.

Residents a mere 173 feet away didn't want to listen to the drive thru squack box until 1:30 a.m., or the car stereos, etc. The area for the proposed In n Out was zoned for community neighborhood land use only, and local residents, like most people want a more liveable, walkable, bikeable neighborhood, and a late night drive thru was not that. I think some of the opponents in the area would have been ok if In n Out had been willing to forego the drive thru.

In-N-Out Drive thrus are particuarly popular, so the lines can make a bit of a traffic mess as well if not designed properly. Encinitas is building an In-N-Out and this was a minor issue there as well.

Ballpark Village approved: http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/...llage-project/

Good to hear. Some interesting tidbits in the article, such as that the financiers wanted less parking. Also, I like how they will "frame" the Library dome within the site, preserving the views. I didn't notice that before.

http://media.utsandiego.com/img/photos/2014/02/26/ballpk_village-back_entrance-2.14_t730.bmp?b0f0cf804b45a2830ba759010b8a41b9b1684c1a

http://media.utsandiego.com/img/photos/2014/02/26/ballpk_village-plaza_entrance_-_2.14_t730.bmp?b0f0cf804b45a2830ba759010b8a41b9b1684c1a

SDfan
Feb 28, 2014, 10:37 PM
For me personally, I think clustering sports stadiums near each other makes the most sense. That is why I think DT is the only logical conclusion.

Regarding other points...

I see San Diego differently that most major cities. Unlike places like Chicago or New York..I don't see San Diego ever having a TRUE core. I think the development around UTC has pretty much set the trajectory of San Diego being a city of multiple hubs if you will.

I just don't San Diego is ever going to get a true 'all roads lead to Rome' public transit network and thus should not focus on the 'all roads lead to Rome' downtown. Instead, focus on creating 5-6 hub centers for the area that would resemble a much smaller downtown of mid-size cities.

That said, I think the Sports Arena and current Qualcomm sites are PRIME locations for additional hubs. They would be smaller than the UTC hub but still could be very dense hubs.

Each could have their own focus/flavor/personality. Mass transit could focus on just connecting the hubs, rather than trying to connect everything.

Going beyond that, you then take the neighborhoods and follow the formula of North Park and make each resemble 'Villages' if you will.

It's out there but to me this makes sense.

I like the idea of what you're presenting, but there are certain political realities in San Diego that make them unlikely.

San Diegans are resistant to increasing densities where it hasn't existed already. And in even in those areas where greater densities exists, adding more development is very difficult. This is because of years of municipal negligence in planning and infrastructure, and allowing development occur with only short term goals in mind (ie, development for sake of development).

For instance. The Midway area is west of I-5, has a strict 30' height limit. Any developer interested in building would either need to be extremely creative and conciliatory to this ordinance, or push for a voter referendum to get an exception to the law - an initiative unlikely to pass in NIMBY San Diego. Developing a new "hub" out in Midway is extremely unlikely.

Meanwhile, in Mission Valley things are just as difficult. First, a good portion of the property would have to go to public space, ie. parks, plazas, etc. Next, much of Mission Valley has been developed in a haphazard way, creating odd traffic patterns, road connections, transit options, and an array of different types of development with limited public services and spaces (schools, fire stations, parks, etc.). Many who live in Mission Valley today, and those who frequent it's sporadic strip malls or work in the random office complexes strewn about the valley floor, would not take kindly to a large, urban "hub" where an infrequently used stadium now sits. In fact, there was a similar proposal -stadium, office, hotel, residential, park- that got shot down by civic leaders for being "too dense" for the area.

So, while I would love there to be more than just two urban oasis in San Diego City proper, I doubt either the sports arena or the qualcomm site would become options.

All the more reason to keep downtown open and available for dense, urban development because it's not going to happen anywhere else, and yes, that includes UTC, which has it's own set of limitations and NIMBYism as well.

dales5050
Feb 28, 2014, 11:27 PM
I like the idea of what you're presenting, but there are certain political realities in San Diego that make them unlikely.

San Diegans are resistant to increasing densities where it hasn't existed already. And in even in those areas where greater densities exists, adding more development is very difficult. This is because of years of municipal negligence in planning and infrastructure, and allowing development occur with only short term goals in mind (ie, development for sake of development).

For instance. The Midway area is west of I-5, has a strict 30' height limit. Any developer interested in building would either need to be extremely creative and conciliatory to this ordinance, or push for a voter referendum to get an exception to the law - an initiative unlikely to pass in NIMBY San Diego. Developing a new "hub" out in Midway is extremely unlikely.

Meanwhile, in Mission Valley things are just as difficult. First, a good portion of the property would have to go to public space, ie. parks, plazas, etc. Next, much of Mission Valley has been developed in a haphazard way, creating odd traffic patterns, road connections, transit options, and an array of different types of development with limited public services and spaces (schools, fire stations, parks, etc.). Many who live in Mission Valley today, and those who frequent it's sporadic strip malls or work in the random office complexes strewn about the valley floor, would not take kindly to a large, urban "hub" where an infrequently used stadium now sits. In fact, there was a similar proposal -stadium, office, hotel, residential, park- that got shot down by civic leaders for being "too dense" for the area.

So, while I would love there to be more than just two urban oasis in San Diego City proper, I doubt either the sports arena or the qualcomm site would become options.

All the more reason to keep downtown open and available for dense, urban development because it's not going to happen anywhere else, and yes, that includes UTC, which has it's own set of limitations and NIMBYism as well.

All great points. Give me a second while I pour your piss out of my cheerios. :)

Regarding NIMBYism, I think (well hope), that will change over time. With the projected growth in population for San Diego over the next 20-40 years...density is going to have to happen.

By then, a lot of the 'old school' who still cling to SD being a sleepy Navy town from the 60s will be gone. My hope is the next generation embrace smart growth. But I think it's going to take some serious leadership as well.

If these people would wake up and realize that height restrictions actually hurt them in the long run...SD can grow not at the expense of neighborhoods. Just imagine if someone in the 70s and 80s told folks in Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach and the like that by preventing dense development all you're going to do is force short apartments. Think of how many streets are 'damaged' for homeowners because other owners have added a cheap apartment complex in the back where a lawn used to be 40 years ago.

Prahaboheme
Feb 28, 2014, 11:50 PM
In-N-Out Drive thrus are particuarly popular, so the lines can make a bit of a traffic mess as well if not designed properly. Encinitas is building an In-N-Out and this was a minor issue there as well.

Good to hear. Some interesting tidbits in the article, such as that the financiers wanted less parking. Also, I like how they will "frame" the Library dome within the site, preserving the views. I didn't notice that before.

http://media.utsandiego.com/img/photos/2014/02/26/ballpk_village-back_entrance-2.14_t730.bmp?b0f0cf804b45a2830ba759010b8a41b9b1684c1a

http://media.utsandiego.com/img/photos/2014/02/26/ballpk_village-plaza_entrance_-_2.14_t730.bmp?b0f0cf804b45a2830ba759010b8a41b9b1684c1a

I think we have a winner in Ballpark Village. The renderings show a quality, pedestrian-oriented development with a focus on aesthetic details. It is designed as a place "to go" with points of interest.

This could easily have become just another condo tower and pedestal, a mid-rise megablock.

tyleraf
Mar 1, 2014, 2:21 AM
North Embarcadero Visionary Plan Update from the Port. I'm glad to see it coming together. http://www.portofsandiego.org/north-embarcadero/3480-nevp-phase-i-construction-update-february-2014.html

spoonman
Mar 1, 2014, 6:42 AM
All great points. Give me a second while I pour your piss out of my cheerios. :)

By then, a lot of the 'old school' who still cling to SD being a sleepy Navy town from the 60s will be gone. My hope is the next generation embrace smart growth. But I think it's going to take some serious leadership as well.

I can't agree with this enough.

spoonman
Mar 1, 2014, 6:43 AM
I think we have a winner in Ballpark Village. The renderings show a quality, pedestrian-oriented development with a focus on aesthetic details. It is designed as a place "to go" with points of interest.

This could easily have become just another condo tower and pedestal, a mid-rise megablock.

This project is exciting. Very much an LA Live vibe, which will help o activate that portion of the EV

SDfan
Mar 1, 2014, 6:54 AM

I don't mean to piss on anyone's parade, I just don't like unrealistic ideas. No offense.

Regarding NIMBYism, I think (well hope), that will change over time. With the projected growth in population for San Diego over the next 20-40 years...density is going to have to happen.

I hope this happens. Hope. But we are running the risk of becoming Santa Barbara or San Louis Obispo with our current culture. That is, stagnate. Density doesn't have to happen. We would just like it to. We may end up with ridiculous living costs instead of real, progressive development. :/

Hopefully.

Prahaboheme
Mar 1, 2014, 4:54 PM
I don't mean to piss on anyone's parade, I just don't like unrealistic ideas. No offense.

I hope this happens. Hope. But we are running the risk of becoming Santa Barbara or San Louis Obispo with our current culture. That is, stagnate. Density doesn't have to happen. We would just like it to. We may end up with ridiculous living costs instead of real, progressive development. :/

Hopefully.

I'm not sure I see the parallels with Santa Barbara / San Louis Obispo.

The truth of the matter is the the market dictates density as much as the "culture" of the city will. There is still an endless amount of infill opportunity in San Diego and until that does become scarce, it will be unlikely that the "higher buildings" folks win the battle at city hall. To counter the argument and in despite of unreasonable high limits in the county, the city continues to rebound strongly with development proposals and groundbreaking.

If there is an area of stagnation, it is mass transit expansion. San Diego should be California's most aggressive trolley expansion city due to the relatively compact nature of the urban area and yet it is a far "third" when we compare the "big 3".

Northparkwizard
Mar 1, 2014, 6:59 PM

The truth of the matter is the the market dictates density as much as the "culture" of the city will. There is still an endless amount of infill opportunity in San Diego and until that does become scarce, it will be unlikely that the "higher buildings" folks win the battle at city hall. To counter the argument and in despite of unreasonable high limits in the county, the city continues to rebound strongly with development proposals and groundbreaking.

If there is an area of stagnation, it is mass transit expansion. San Diego should be California's most aggressive trolley expansion city due to the relatively compact nature of the urban area and yet it is a far "third" when we compare the "big 3".

^ What he said.

The irony of much of the comments here is the NIMBY/anti-growth sentiment, from a "skyscraper page". The market dictates the majority of what is being proposed and built around the city, with a few spec exceptions. No one would risk 10's/100's of million dollars on anything less than a sure thing and lenders(banks) nowadays aren't in the business of losing money on development projects that do not make financial sense.

That's the disconnect between community planning groups(basically this forum) and the real world. Risk. Nobody builds a project unless they think it can succeed and that's a great thing for private developers. However using the same methodology at city hall just doesn't work. Being a big city and acting like one are two distinctly different things, until San Diego leadership and the development service department puts his/her big boy/girl pants on we're going to continue to be small minded about transportation(trolley expansion, protected bike lanes, street cars), large civic projects(EV stadium, new city hall), and height limits(Wilshire Grand). That's a shame.

staplesla
Mar 1, 2014, 7:49 PM
At the County Administration Center's 75th anniversary last year, Supervisor Greg Cox said the new park going around it would "set the whole building off in a much more attractive setting." That was last July. A lot has happened on site since, as the $46.5 million park has begun to take shape ahead of its expected opening this May.

http://www.sddt.com/news/article.cfm?SourceCode=20140227crl&_t=New+county+waterfront+park+near+completion

SDfan
Mar 2, 2014, 4:07 AM
^ What he said.

The irony of much of the comments here is the NIMBY/anti-growth sentiment, from a "skyscraper page". The market dictates the majority of what is being proposed and built around the city, with a few spec exceptions. No one would risk 10's/100's of million dollars on anything less than a sure thing and lenders(banks) nowadays aren't in the business of losing money on development projects that do not make financial sense.

I'm not a NIMBY, nor have any growth-sentiment. I'm merely stating the facts on the ground. The market does dictate what is in demand, but the community dictates what can actually be built. San Francisco would be booming with high-rise development on it's tiny, unit-needy peninsula, but it's not. Not because of a lack of market force, but because the communities in the city aren't having it.

No one would risk their money if a project didn't pencil out financially, nor would they risk their money if their was no chance for their development to be approved or be profitable with regulatory hurtles.

And I'm not talking about high-rise development. I'm talking about basic 3-6 story, mid-level, ground floor retail projects. Real, workable, development.

I do agree, better leadership is needed. I think the new planning director, Fulton, will be a positive force for good.

SDfan
Mar 2, 2014, 4:19 AM

"Endless" is really a different word than what most developers and realtors are saying right now. In fact, if you read articles about these things you notice these common themes:

1. A lack of large land areas for single family home communities (not too sad about this personally, less suburban style development the better)

2. Limited land availability in urban neighborhoods to pursue infill developments

3. Regulatory and NIMBY hurdles in developing infill projects

Essentially, there isn't much land, and for developers, with what does exist there are significant issues that can hinder any infill project, namely incomplete community plan updates, community opposition, archaic regulation, the actual cost of the land, possible historical or preservation issues, environmental concerns, and unclear direction from city planning and development services.

The market is a force, but the community can knock out a project with a simple stroke of a pen or ballot box regardless of demand.

As for mass transit, I couldn't agree with you more. We are so far behind. I hope the Cleveland National Forest group is able to get SANDAG to adjust it's 40 year plan's priorities in court. Our environment and future development depend on a more robust mass transit system.

SDCAL
Mar 2, 2014, 7:59 AM
This project is exciting. Very much an LA Live vibe, which will help o activate that portion of the EV

I wish. LA live is a 2.5 billion dollar endeavor with a Ritz Carleton and JW Marriott and better architecture. I know I sound like the negative nelly on here but I think this ballpark village project is mediocre at best. I really don't see it being anywhere near LA Live. I know the parking lots suck, but pretending that putting anything on them turns them into world-class entertainment districts is unrealistic.

dales5050
Mar 2, 2014, 4:29 PM

No offense taken at all. :)

Nerv
Mar 2, 2014, 9:51 PM
LA Live feels artificial to me.

Cities should assist with a vibe, not create it.

I don't like using Los Angeles as a model for future downtown San Diego either.

Let LA be LA and San Diego something else.

I prefer the more organic feel I see in places like Chicago, New York, or even parts of San Francisco. I lived in Los Angeles long enough to not want it here.

bobbyv
Mar 2, 2014, 10:48 PM
LA Live feels artificial to me.

Cities should assist with a vibe, not create it.

I don't like using Los Angeles as a model for future downtown San Diego either.

Let LA be LA and San Diego something else.

I prefer the more organic feel I see in places like Chicago, New York, or even parts of San Francisco. I lived in Los Angeles long enough to not want it here.

Are you talking about LA downtown core to SD downtown core? Because if you are LA's is much more, lively, gritty , dense, older stock, and yes organic than San Diego could ever dream of, you actually think LA live is representative of the rest of downtown:???:

Crackertastik
Mar 2, 2014, 11:53 PM
Are you talking about LA downtown core to SD downtown core? Because if you are LA's is much more, lively, gritty , dense, older stock, and yes organic than San Diego could ever dream of, you actually think LA live is representative of the rest of downtown:???:

I sort of agree.

La Live is no more artificial than time square or Chinatown in DC. I think contemporary entertainment districts lean toward that feel. San Diego's entertainment district, the gas lamp quarter, is much more "real" feeling than la live. But still caters to that kitschy feel by utility. The rest of downtown la feels more organic than the rest of downtown San Diego. But that is as much a bad thing as a good thing. I hate when people use grit and unkempt conditions and lack of uniformity as a quality unconditionally. It can be amazing and ideal when it is coupled with diverse use, reduced dead space and scary sections, and is safe. Otherwise it's just unfinished. I'll take current San Diego over current la because currently Los Angeles lacks a lot of I mentioned. But in 5-10 years I think the comment easily flips. It'll have the utility of downtown San Diego in a more organic setting.

Bertrice
Mar 3, 2014, 12:10 AM
What ever Organic means describing inorganic matter like buildings. LA 's downtown can't hold a candle to san diego or SF. maybe oakland.
LA 's best parts are still Hollywood hills, santa monica, venice , hancock park etc. its just a spread out nightmare as you can get.

SDCAL
Mar 3, 2014, 12:31 AM
LA Live is definitely higher-end with luxury brand hotels. Not all of DTLA is ike that, you have everything from skid row, the nations largest concentration of homeless people, to LA Live and everything in between.

I guess I should clarify my comment above regarding not agreeing with the comparison of the BPV plan to LA Live.

I am not saying the BPV plan needs to be that higher-end to be good, not at all. I just don't like the plan period. Maybe I'll be proven wrong if/when it gets off the ground, sometimes you just don't know how something is going to work at street level until its here.

The project I am most excited about to see get off the ground is the IDEA District first phase. Does anyone know the status of that and when it might break ground?

That particular area of downtown has an immense amount of potential to become really great. My hope is for more low-key, arts-minded creative zone (something with a vibe similar to North Park with non-chain creative venues but with a more dense/Industiral/downtown urban feel) that is an alternative to the more frat-like atmosphere of the gaslamp and immediate ballpark area. This is one reason I am against the chargers stadium being built right next to petco park. We need variety. I want EV to be distinct and not just an extension of the gaslamp/ballpark area.

SDCAL
Mar 3, 2014, 12:41 AM
What ever Organic means describing inorganic matter like buildings. LA 's downtown can't hold a candle to san diego or SF. maybe oakland.
LA 's best parts are still Hollywood hills, santa monica, venice , hancock park etc. its just a spread out nightmare as you can get.

Agree somewhat, but things are improving in downtown Los Angeles. I think there is potential and agree with what another person said about there being more history and more stock of historic industrial buildings. But they will never have something that we have no matter how hard they try - a downtown right on the water.

Of course the counter-argument to that is what good is having a downtown right on the water when our waterfront is an under-utilized joke.

The completion of north embarcadero phase I, Lane Field, and hopefully sometime navy broadway complex can't come soon enough ;)

bobbyv
Mar 3, 2014, 1:05 AM

Sorry its the other way around, DTLA is much much more urban, bigger, more pedestrian activity and "big city" than San Diego will ever be, SD reminds me of a bigger Santa Monica, SD has no answer for DTLA, whenever I'm in SD it feels sleepy and cookie cutter to be quite honest, LA is in another league, SD needs to look up to Denver before it is ever mentioned in the same breathe as LA.

spoonman
Mar 3, 2014, 3:33 AM
Sorry its the other way around, DTLA is much much more urban, bigger, more pedestrian activity and "big city" than San Diego will ever be, SD reminds me of a bigger Santa Monica, SD has no answer for DTLA, whenever I'm in SD it feels sleepy and cookie cutter to be quite honest, LA is in another league, SD needs to look up to Denver before it is ever mentioned in the same breathe as LA.

Hmmm...even though there are way fewer people living in DTLA. ok troll. LA Live is all you have and it is a manufactured environment.

tyleraf
Mar 3, 2014, 5:35 AM
Lane Field North will be a Springhill Suites and Residence Inn combo. Here's hoping for a Ritz Carlton for Lane Field South. Here is the a article. http://www.sddt.com/news/article.cfm?SourceCode=20140228cze&_t=Hotels+marina+on+port+panels+docket+Tuesday#.UxQT4ZK9KK0

Derek
Mar 3, 2014, 5:40 AM
Ritz Carlton with the current NBC as it's neighbor would be an embarrassment to say the least. I can't believe nothing has happened with the NBC yet.

SDfan
Mar 3, 2014, 5:49 AM
Good news Lane Field. I don't know if a Ritz would go in though.

SDfan
Mar 4, 2014, 1:15 AM
Anyone know anything about this?

Mixed-use Condo Project Planned on Bankers Hill Land Acquired for $5.3 Million
http://sdbj.com/news/2014/mar/03/mixed-use-condo-project-planned-bankers-hill-land-/

supertallchaser
Mar 4, 2014, 2:04 AM
i wish San Diego would take off its height restriction :/

tyleraf
Mar 4, 2014, 3:40 AM
I agree. I hope one day that we will get a supertall. Also, it's great that Bankers Hill will be getting some new condos. Hopefully it is a sign of more to come.

spoonman
Mar 4, 2014, 4:27 AM
Anyone know anything about this?

This was to be part of a two tower project. It was to contain a 13 story and 15 story tower. The tower in your post above is the 13 story tower, which looks to have been scaled down to 8. (I'm concluding that based only on the rendering) That said, it is still proposed to have the same number of units (45).

The second tower (15 floors, which is supposed to go in the St Paul's block) may still be developed. I do not know. According to St Paul's and other websites, there are to be 110 units total for the 2 towers. The 8/13 story tower is supposed to contain 45, which would allow for 65 in the 15 story tower. Given the limited space, I can't see them going much lower than 12 floors on the 2nd tower and still be able to squeeze in 65 units.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2011/nov/05/stringers-st-pauls-cathedral-project-move-/

http://www.tuckersadler.com/img/st-pauls_view-1.jpg

http://www.stpaulcathedral.org/chapter-master-plan

dales5050
Mar 4, 2014, 5:27 PM
Hmmm...even though there are way fewer people living in DTLA. ok troll. LA Live is all you have and it is a manufactured environment.

My 2 cents on the issue.

DT San Diego is much much farther along than DT LA at the moment. More people. More things to do. More everything.

That said, I think DT LA is positioned better over the next 25-50 years to become a true Urban core. LA is much much farther along in regards to mass transit and I don't think San Diego will ever catch up. It's not locked like DT on all 4 sides. I also think LA has more historic buildings than San Diego...by far.

Going to be interesting to watch both cities grow.

Nerv
Mar 5, 2014, 2:43 AM
Sorry to anyone who took my "organic" remark as some sort of pissing contest between city downtowns.

My family was in Los Angeles before San Diego. I have family in Los Angeles, OC, San Francisco and everywhere in between so there's no hating on my part to sister cities.

I lived in New York as well and been to all 50 of our states in the US and in many parts of Europe.

So when I say organic I'm talking about a natural home grown feel that you pick up on when you visit. Very urban, very natural. I don't know how else to put it into words. East coast in my opinion is much more rich in it than the west coast. New York or Boston or Philly or Chicago or whatever to me have a way more a natural organic feel in their downtowns. It's like a urban stew that's spent the last 100 years cooking.

I lived in Los Angeles and go there enough that even though there are some really great "organic" urban places in the city, LA Live just ain't one of them for me. It would be the same as me taking someone from out of town to Seaport Village in San Diego. I'm certainly not hating on it but I wouldn't really call it a organic kind of section of downtown.

Cities in creating really great spots should mostly just make efforts to get them started but let them grow out on their own. To much city control leads to the fake, tourist vibe for visitors. Cities should only step in when they are needed.

To me the jury is still out on downtown San Diego since it is still pretty young and has a lot of growth and maturity left to go in it.

My point is I'd rather San Diego try and mirror some of the better east coast downtowns or even use parts of San Francisco as good examples.

Love or hate (which I don't) downtown LA is anyone's choice but it's very fair to say that New York or San Francisco are far more famous downtowns than LA will ever have. If you're going to copy, copy from the best.

tyleraf
Mar 5, 2014, 6:49 AM
Good news for Lane Field! I can't wait to see this finally rise alongside the new courthouse and Pch and Broadway. http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/mar/04/bayfront-hotels-approved-lane-field-harbor-island/

Nerv
Mar 5, 2014, 3:14 PM
Good news for Lane Field! I can't wait to see this finally rise alongside the new courthouse and Pch and Broadway. http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/mar/04/bayfront-hotels-approved-lane-field-harbor-island/

Wow. I saw this on 10 news and didn't even know it was the same project.
http://www.10news.com/news/port-authority-board-gives-ok-for-proposed-luxury-hotel-to-be-built-on-harbor-island-03042014?autoplay=true

So it went from a 24 story project in that UT article to a tiny 4 story project we see a rendering of on the 10 news story and they are still fighting it? Lol

Let's just tear down the state and plant flowers everywhere....:D

Oops! After seeing who it was who opposes the project (unite here, a local union of hotel workers,etc.) I see they probably have their own interests which have nothing to do with being anti development or saving our bay front...

Dale
Mar 5, 2014, 3:58 PM

Good God! When I first visited SD in 1989 there were active plans for Lane Field then.

Guess what else was a hot topic in 1989 ? You guessed it, building a new airport.

Crackertastik
Mar 5, 2014, 4:22 PM
Good God! When I first visited SD in 1989 there were active plans for Lane Field then.

Guess what else was a hot topic in 1989 ? You guessed it, building a new airport.

Anyone know the status of the Navy Broadway Complex? Manchester still has rights? Was there litigation involved? I think the development of that site and the 2nd phase of Lane Field are two very important milestones for San Diego. Completing the rehab of the waterfront both built, and open space.

An update from someone in the know would be great. Thanks!

LosAngelesDreamin
Mar 5, 2014, 5:01 PM

I dont think thats lane field. Lane field is proposed to be off broadway in front of the cruise ship terminal. This hotel project on harbor island isn't IN downtown at all.

Sorry that was supposed to be towards nerv

Nerv
Mar 5, 2014, 7:03 PM
Yeah, my bad. It was TWO different hotels that got the green flag. Harbor island and lane field.

It's still a joke over the fighting on a 4 story project though.

Adding to tyleraf's remark then great news something is finally going on lane field. I actually remember the Padres looking at it at one time for Petco's location (to small). Hopefully a better rendering comes to light than the one posted since it's kind of hard to get a feel for it right now.

TimCity2000
Mar 5, 2014, 10:42 PM
just came back from a weekend in your fair city.

wow! completely blown away. had a great time (despite the rain). enjoyed seeing all the construction / renovation going on around town.

LA/OCman
Mar 6, 2014, 12:01 AM

Having lived in LA and SD, I think you are wrong on your numbers. LA has more residents Downtown. The center of Downtown LA is approaching 55,000 and will hit over 61,000 in a couple of years. Downtown SD has 35,000.

http://www.welcometosandiego.com/san-diego-downtown-property-future-development/

The big difference is the number of people who work in Downtown LA…numbers around 400,000 plus vs. SD (75,000). I looked at buying in Downtown SD but I wanted a historic building for a loft (Mills Act benefits) and San Diego has very few of those so I bought in LA. Both Downtowns are doing amazing things. Since they are connected by rail, we should root for both to be very successful.

Bertrice
Mar 6, 2014, 12:13 AM
Some pics of the waterpark and nevp. as well as little italy

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7418/12963814135_f2536e3d6e_z.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2239/12963814625_0d5f831e01_z.jpg
Palm trees going in

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2481/12964233924_6727fde9ca_z.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2604/12963945413_aa20924dd7.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2485/12964230314_23d71a614e_z.jpg

Bertrice
Mar 6, 2014, 12:16 AM
And the former China Camp
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7455/12964252034_b19a08b6a1_z.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2501/12963823085_81b01aa196_z.jpg
LI parking garage
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7404/12964249394_76accc10d0_z.jpg
Kettner exchange?
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7456/12964250584_b92873a4b6_z.jpg

tyleraf
Mar 6, 2014, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the update Bertrice! The Embarcadero is finally starting to come together. I can't wait to make it down there to see it myself.

Erip
Mar 6, 2014, 4:20 AM
And the former China Camp

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7369/12959017733_0a98990780_b.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2822/12958867755_597031c199_b.jpg

LI parking garage
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2893/12958862555_6fd994f834_b.jpg

Kettner exchange?
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7405/12959302734_6cd3e19e94_b.jpg

Aw, these photos aren't loading on my end? Anyone else have this issue or just me?

tyleraf
Mar 6, 2014, 6:05 AM
Yea they seem to be missing now.

Nerv
Mar 6, 2014, 8:38 AM
Having lived in LA and SD, I think you are wrong on your numbers. LA has more residents Downtown. The center of Downtown LA is approaching 55,000 and will hit over 61,000 in a couple of years. Downtown SD has 35,000.

http://www.welcometosandiego.com/san-diego-downtown-property-future-development/

The big difference is the number of people who work in Downtown LA…numbers around 400,000 plus vs. SD (75,000). I looked at buying in Downtown SD but I wanted a historic building for a loft (Mills Act benefits) and San Diego has very few of those so I bought in LA. Both Downtowns are doing amazing things. Since they are connected by rail, we should root for both to be very successful.

I'm not sure about 2013 numbers since I haven't seen them released yet but the 2012 numbers had downtown Los Angeles just over 52,000 and downtown San Diego past 38,000. That link you provided is accurate but not exact with its "over 35,000" residents. So it was a bit closer in 2012 with a roughly 14,000 gap. I believe San Francisco is the city in California between the three (SD,LA,SF) that is moving faster with its population increases for now. Both San Diego and Los Angeles need to get closer to the 100,000 mark to get a noticeable population for a downtown. Neither city impresses me with numbers of people in its downtown district outside of narrow parts or during certain events.

Bertrice
Mar 6, 2014, 3:33 PM
sorry issues with flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7312/12963814845_e002bde913_z.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7348/12963964253_e76da0b4a6_z.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7418/12963814135_f2536e3d6e_z.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2194/12964239554_8116828792_z.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2081/12963952773_27bf4dc70e_z.jpg

dales5050
Mar 6, 2014, 5:59 PM
Oops! After seeing who it was who opposes the project (unite here, a local union of hotel workers,etc.) I see they probably have their own interests which have nothing to do with being anti development or saving our bay front...

Really wish the news would call that out.

If Brigette Browning, who is the President of UniteHere that's connected to the AFL-CIO is going to get up there and present herself as just a 'concerned citizen' while calling out developers. The news should at least add that commentary.

I have no problem with Civic Groups or Union leadership expressing their opinions or trying to lobby...that's all fair game. I DO have issue with people like this pretending to be ordinary citizens or 'news' groups not identifying them as such.

Nerv
Mar 6, 2014, 8:29 PM
I am well aware of the amount of nimby attitude this city (and countless others in California) have but really if you start digging into some of the people who oppose various projects they are not of the nimby or concerned citizen groups. They are unions or lawyers looking for a name or buck or political groups with their own agendas or simply parties who have their own financial interests in going against it.

Yes, there are a lot of "concerned citizens" who want to stop all construction and plant flowers everywhere but a lot of these groups with their own interests are the problem with projects getting done and they often are the ones to stir up the hornets nest of "concerned citizens". It's also in the best interest of certain groups outside of our city to oppose projects like our convention center expansion or a Chargers stadium if they feel they may benefit from the city failing to keep a sports team or major convention (hint hint)....

It's pretty dirty at times behind the scenes with this stuff.

SDCAL
Mar 7, 2014, 7:18 PM

If this breaks ground next month that would be amazing.

What's the rationale in splitting it into two hotels? And it sounds like both will be Marriott run?

Probably not Ritz caliber, but I would love to see SD get a JW Marriott and this prime bay front locale seems like a good place for one ;)

Prahaboheme
Mar 7, 2014, 8:15 PM
The two-hotel model is something Marriott has been doing now for quite some time.

Northparkwizard
Mar 7, 2014, 8:24 PM
There's something brewing on Date St. in little Italy, anyone have a rendering of these proposed mixed use buildings?

http://www.civicsd.com/images/stories/downloads/meetings-and-events/event-calendar/2014/Notice_of_Design_Review_Meetings_-_Fenton_India_Date_3.6.14.pdf

spoonman
Mar 7, 2014, 9:50 PM
There's something brewing on Date St. in little Italy, anyone have a rendering of these proposed mixed use buildings?

http://www.civicsd.com/images/stories/downloads/meetings-and-events/event-calendar/2014/Notice_of_Design_Review_Meetings_-_Fenton_India_Date_3.6.14.pdf

Looks like this is part of the proposal to create a plaza by closing off 1 block of Date St.

SDCAL
Mar 7, 2014, 9:55 PM
The two-hotel model is something Marriott has been doing now for quite some time.

I know. I asked what the rationale is behind it.

wadams92101
Mar 7, 2014, 11:31 PM
Does anyone know what's going on with the One America Plaza rebar "sculptural garden," i.e., the long unfinished lid over the underground parking (at one time slated to be the site of the new central library) next to the trolley station? There's some construction activity going on there.

tyleraf
Mar 8, 2014, 12:05 AM
I have no idea but I hope it is prep for a building to finally go up there. I'm going downtown probably on Sunday so I'll check it out.

tyleraf
Mar 8, 2014, 5:21 AM

Here you go.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2374/13003612464_d0fee14b3e.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7444/13003227905_ed15b7ca4b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7440/13003227735_9e81f4f991.jpg
Also, here is a new render of the Fairfield Inn that will go in at the edge of East Village by the Andaz.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7425/13003366263_3cab902ebc.jpg

OneMetropolis
Mar 8, 2014, 7:44 AM
when will that plaza near horton and NBC bulding start seeing construction?

SDCAL
Mar 8, 2014, 7:54 PM
I really like both the date street plan and the Fairfield inn (not too keen on the brand Fairfield inn, but love the design and compact infill in that parcel. Looks very sleek).

The public courtyard cut-off from from car traffic in the date street project reminds me a lot of urban courtyards I saw while in Italy. Nice to see two good designs here.

tyleraf
Mar 8, 2014, 10:25 PM
Anthony's is getting a new look to match the NEVP.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3780/13018965955_1861e95b17.jpg
http://www.businesswire.com/multimedia/home/20140306005268/en/#.UxuXUpK9KSN

tyleraf
Mar 9, 2014, 12:33 AM
Make sure you guys take the Port's survey on what you would like to see in their new master plan.

tyleraf
Mar 9, 2014, 4:38 AM
One La Jolla Center has a webcam. http://earthcam.com/clients/irvinecompany/onelajollacenter/?cam=mpr1

Kenchiku desu
Mar 10, 2014, 1:49 AM
Multiple hotels on one property or near to one another simply serve different niches and thereby serve a wider market without diluting the "experience" of the pricier hotel. They also can share some costs to have an economy of scale and can refer customers to one another.

Derek
Mar 10, 2014, 1:55 AM
Anthony's is getting a new look to match the NEVP.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3780/13018965955_1861e95b17.jpg
http://www.businesswire.com/multimedia/home/20140306005268/en/#.UxuXUpK9KSN

Now that is a solid upgrade...to say the least.

tyleraf
Mar 10, 2014, 3:05 AM
Yea I totally agree. The Embarcadero is going to be very nice in a few years. I hope we get the America's cup so we can show it off.

tyleraf
Mar 10, 2014, 4:53 AM
Quick photo update from today. Sorry about the low quality photos.
15th and Island
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3499/13050648015_c2419231e9.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3765/13050651525_beff0d2bc0.jpg
Park and G
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7324/13050984854_2596f22648.jpg
Blue Sky is finally fenced off and excavators are there.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3002/13050813863_e62597c95b.jpg
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2157/13050992024_a18c6761ac.jpg
Cranes over East Village.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3232/13050817673_41fd3e80ca.jpg

Crackertastik
Mar 10, 2014, 5:41 AM
Multiple hotels on one property or near to one another simply serve different niches and thereby serve a wider market without diluting the "experience" of the pricier hotel. They also can share some costs to have an economy of scale and can refer customers to one another.

Exactly this. The brands ideally will be of two different market classes, and ideally only one step in class difference for cross sale options. The complexing if under same management can save 1-5% in margins which is nice by sharing staff and spreading fixed costs.

It is a very popular trend in hotel development nowadays...for good reason.

Chapelo
Mar 12, 2014, 2:10 AM
One La Jolla Center has a webcam. http://earthcam.com/clients/irvinecompany/onelajollacenter/?cam=mpr1

You can see the webcam atop the tower on the left, at the pinnacle.

http://i.imgur.com/hD3DhJRl.jpg?1 (http://imgur.com/hD3DhJR)

Massive concrete pour today. Doesn't look like much in these pictures, but there were concrete trucks arriving one after the other for most of the day.

http://i.imgur.com/fGL786kl.jpg?1 (http://imgur.com/fGL786k)

http://i.imgur.com/iQzghudl.jpg?1 (http://imgur.com/iQzghud)

tyleraf
Mar 12, 2014, 1:48 PM
The new county courthouse broke ground Monday. http://fox5sandiego.com/2014/03/10/construction-underway-on-new-san-diego-co-superior-court/ Also, it looks like the US open is coming back in 2021!

Bertrice
Mar 14, 2014, 3:38 AM
I not sure why they are re paving Hornblend st but I can think of alot more roads that need this. :shrug:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3671/13139863464_09fb82f9c3_z.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2546/13139870354_45432a2b90_z.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7348/13139704533_409d51d034_z.jpg

tyleraf
Mar 14, 2014, 5:05 AM
This could be interesting. http://www.kpbs.org/news/2014/mar/13/tactical-urbanism-converting-vacant-lot-downtown-s/

Streamliner
Mar 14, 2014, 5:52 PM
Has anybody else noticed that the First National Bank Center building has a (new?) lighting scheme? I didn't get a picture, but there is a white border around each of the "steps" at the top. I saw it last night when driving home from the airport. It looks very nice.

I'm referring to this building:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/35/FirstNationalBankCenter1SanDiegoApr09.jpg/337px-FirstNationalBankCenter1SanDiegoApr09.jpg
Source: Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_National_Bank_Center_(San_Diego,_California))

tyleraf
Mar 14, 2014, 7:27 PM
That's cool. The First National Bank Center just recently was purchased by a new owner and they have been renovating it.

Prahaboheme
Mar 16, 2014, 6:38 PM
Thanks for posting this. I'm excited to see this sign preserved and hopefully restored to another part of the city. Additionally, great to see this block developed into a higher density building. A win-win.

I believe this is still the current rendering:

http://sandiego.urbdezine.com/files/2012/05/FatCityLofts2.jpg

http://sandiego.urbdezine.com/files/2012/05/FatCityLofts4.jpg

Drove by the site and noticed that the entire original building has been demolished. I thought the plan was to preserve the Fat City facade and incorporate it into the new development. Disappointing...

tyleraf
Mar 16, 2014, 7:00 PM
Prahaboheme: they saved the sign but they are building a new building that will look the same as the old one. Also while I was downtown today I saw that demolition has begun on the old brake depot and construction fences are all around the Blue Sky site. Also fences are up around the New Courthouse site as well so I would guess that ground breaking should be happening soon.

tyleraf
Mar 19, 2014, 11:55 PM
Work is full steam ahead at Blue Sky. Here is an article with some recent pics. Note:the render is outdated though. http://sandiego.urbdezine.com/2014/03/19/blue-sky-breaks-brown-ground/

tyleraf
Mar 20, 2014, 11:24 PM
BIG concrete pour at Sempra headquarters this Saturday!
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7308/13297443473_4fb2f988c3.jpg

tyleraf
Mar 22, 2014, 1:13 AM
Downtown is getting a new farmers market starting Sunday at old police headquarters.http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/mar/21/farmers-market-downtown-police-headquarters/

tyleraf
Mar 22, 2014, 8:14 PM
Big Downtown photo update
Fat City Hotel:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7259/13335249415_c5f424981f.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3714/13335395933_271ea8f382.jpg
County Administration Building Park:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3727/13335230065_4e56f19fd1.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7083/13335416543_dd1296ea3c.jpg
North Embarcadero Visionary Plan:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3695/13335420353_3f42fa5a9b.jpg
Also, Lane Field looks like it is getting closer to construction but I didn't get any photos.
9th and Broadway:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7452/13335424983_01bf7ae6ce.jpg
Blue Sky: The Brake Depot is history!
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7267/13335412253_ef1b457b4b.jpg
Sempra: Huge concrete pour today!
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7361/13335652804_8cdc4cc947.jpg
Urbana:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7388/13335392173_1255048c65.jpg
15th and Market:
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2812/13335235175_96c539398c.jpg
15th and Island:
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2806/13335274165_317a914e90.jpg
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2853/13335400043_7eda039aa4.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3668/13335630634_101f4a7131.jpg

SDfan
Mar 22, 2014, 9:55 PM
Thank you for the update, Tyleraf.

Bertrice
Mar 23, 2014, 4:53 PM
Mission Beach residents complaining about a new project that will create congestion. lol
http://www.sdnews.com/pages/full_story/push?article-Tough+questions+on+planned+condo+project%20&id=24791585&instance=stories

Northparkwizard
Mar 25, 2014, 1:20 AM
Great Waterfront Park update video just got posted showing trees arriving, Geofoam being placed, and the fountains beginning to take shape. Link. (http://youtu.be/G6KQ0x3Ljkk)

tyleraf
Mar 25, 2014, 5:18 AM
I'm glad to see the progress on the CAC park. I can't wait until it is complete!

Prahaboheme
Mar 25, 2014, 6:12 PM
Some North Park Infill:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3772/13391185415_697de1e6cb.jpg
The North Parker - possibly the best infill development around. The ground floor looks incredibly engaging; this is going to have a major impact on this little section of town. It is still a shame though that across the street is a Jack in the Box.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7008/13391553424_640cf291a1.jpg
Old Post Office redevelopment --

Sempra headquarters:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7040/13391023905_31a04ff62e.jpg

A few other East Village infill updates:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7163/13391166903_c85d84f9af.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2844/13391182383_bebe958abd.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7117/13391067495_8fa2539381.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7178/13391089865_bd2c671af4.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3704/13391236913_58e50f5a2d.jpg
Community College progress

SDfan
Mar 25, 2014, 9:14 PM
Some nice infill there. I like the projects in North Park. I just hope their can be more progressive developments like these in the future. I've been reading a lot of planning committee notes and community newspaper articles on the topic lately from the urban neighborhoods and, sadly, these groups are hell bent on saran wrapping their communities in oppressive height restrictions, excessive parking requirements, and pro-car, pro-down zoning, anti-bicycle policies. These people are making affordability worse, and creating exclusive communities for their own interests. In 20 years these neighborhoods are going to become retirement communities for who were either lucky enough to buy in when the market was only slightly less affordable or those who are wealthy enough on their own (fewer, and fewer among us). As a millennial, this is depressing, but these people will reap what they sow when disinvestment and economic stagnation claim their communities.

mello
Mar 26, 2014, 5:28 AM
Some nice infill there.

Excellent point SDfan, I completely agree that these planning groups could totally screw the future or "Greater Uptown". But aren't developers chomping at the bit to get in there and they have powerful interests. I swear I have been down in Chula Vista a lot lately and I know it isn't hip and happening but it has great coastal weather and really is not that far from downtown at all and there is so much land there that is either totally underused or vacant.

Palomar, Main street exits especially. I think there is big potential there, if developers and people open their mind and some height is allowed to take advantage of views. And there are actually a lot of cool older nabes in the heart of Chula Vista that have good bones.