PDA

View Full Version : SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161

kpexpress
Sep 28, 2008, 9:20 AM
Tonight I snuck into the Padre Parkade to get some shots of the fog rolling in.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn60/kpexpress42/DSC05143.jpg

And happened to notice the roof of the old drunk tank has started to be dismantled.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn60/kpexpress42/DSC05154.jpg
Looks like some great progress in a rather stagnate development air (despite what's going on two blocks to the West).

kpexpress
Sep 28, 2008, 9:23 AM
I mean it shouldn't really be an issue. Pick the 1000000 year old shitty white bricks with barbed wire fencing and crumbling parking lots or a nice little waterfront development. Is it the best? No. Is it better than what's there? Yes. Can we get better? Not with the way this city is run, so sometimes you just need to take what you get.

:banana:

The parking lots between the developed city and the waterfront just kills me. Does that not bother everyone downtown (including the people who make key decisions as to what happens there)?

Fusey
Sep 28, 2008, 5:27 PM
^ That parking lot is the number one complaint I've heard from tourists coming off the cruise ships. That's some of the best real estate in the entire city and it confuses me to no end how a surface parking lot has been there all these years. Think about it from a tourists' viewpoint: as you come into the bay you see Point Loma (awesome), then Coronado (awesome), then a gigantic parking lot. Ugh...

malsponger
Sep 28, 2008, 6:58 PM
The water front has so much potential. If it were properly developed it would easily steal the show from the gaslamp primarily because you have direct water access. This is the biggest waste of space i've seen. However, people must realize the extent of this development would be in the billions of dollars so it's no easy task, even after all negotiations, permits, etc.. It would also need to be done right for high density and not just aesthetically. Factor in what downtown might need to accommodate in 20 years.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/wf2.jpg

bmfarley
Sep 28, 2008, 7:51 PM
Talk of the Navy Broadway complex is great. I look forward to its development; it'll be a huge improvement for the area.

That said, I am not aware of any plans to do something different than what has already been presented by the Navy and Manchester; only that additional public feedback is sought in accordance per direction from a judge.

Though, I would like to see some changes. Namely, that it be designed to be more accomodating for local nightlife rather than cater too much to tourist industry (or so it seems).

malsponger
Sep 28, 2008, 8:04 PM
Do you have a link to detailed renderings of the project?

bmfarley
Sep 28, 2008, 8:30 PM
Do you have a link to detailed renderings of the project?

Here are some great links for ya:

CCDC Navy Broadway Complex Project Page (http://www.ccdc.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/projects.navycomplex)

The beginning (pg 4 of 4 looks sweet):
2006 Proposal (http://www.ccdc.com/resources/resource_files/NBC_20060630_Proposal_Images.pdf)

The Latest?:
2007 Proposal: Plan View and Sweet Photo-Looking Plan View Images (http://www.ccdc.com/resources/resource_files/7-2-07_MasterPlan&Phase1Submittal.pdf)

2007 Proposal: Building Images (http://www.ccdc.com/resources/resource_files/NBC_Buildings_20070702.pdf)

kpexpress
Sep 28, 2008, 9:55 PM
Funny how on the CCDC's homepage it says, "Never underestimate the power of the waterfront."

Should say, "Never underestimate the power of the parking lot"

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn60/kpexpress42/waterfront.jpg

kpexpress
Sep 28, 2008, 10:14 PM
The water front has so much potential. If it were properly developed it would easily steal the show from the gaslamp primarily because you have direct water access. This is the biggest waste of space i've seen. However, people must realize the extent of this development would be in the billions of dollars so it's no easy task, even after all negotiations, permits, etc.. It would also need to be done right for high density and not just aesthetically. Factor in what downtown might need to accommodate in 20 years.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/wf2.jpg

And wouldn't it be great if we could get the Port Authority to ACTUALLY go through with building the Historic Harbor Design Proposal of Rob Quigley

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn60/kpexpress42/Harbor2.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn60/kpexpress42/harbor.jpg

I love this design cause it really lets the water "touch" the city grid and bring us all closer to the jewel of downtown. Look specifically at the changes that will occur to seaport village and the embarcedero parks.

What do you all think about this design?

malsponger
Sep 28, 2008, 10:40 PM
Here are some great links for ya:

CCDC Navy Broadway Complex Project Page (http://www.ccdc.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/projects.navycomplex)

The beginning (pg 4 of 4 looks sweet):
2006 Proposal (http://www.ccdc.com/resources/resource_files/NBC_20060630_Proposal_Images.pdf)

The Latest?:
2007 Proposal: Plan View and Sweet Photo-Looking Plan View Images (http://www.ccdc.com/resources/resource_files/7-2-07_MasterPlan&Phase1Submittal.pdf)

2007 Proposal: Building Images (http://www.ccdc.com/resources/resource_files/NBC_Buildings_20070702.pdf)

Thanks, great use of that space in my opinion. Now the question is if it will happen soon. That with Lane Field and Irvine Company building I think will be by far the best part of downtown. It will revolve around the train station so will be the most accessible too.

HurricaneHugo
Sep 29, 2008, 3:19 AM
Disagree on the Irvine Company building...

bmfarley
Sep 29, 2008, 5:45 AM
And wouldn't it be great if we could get the Port Authority to ACTUALLY go through with building the Historic Harbor Design Proposal of Rob Quigley

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn60/kpexpress42/harbor.jpg

I love this design cause it really lets the water "touch" the city grid and bring us all closer to the jewel of downtown. Look specifically at the changes that will occur to seaport village and the embarcedero parks.

What do you all think about this design?
Well, I always thought it looked silly and not functional. Is it really practical to think the marina dock would retract and expand to let boats in or out of that little harbor? Who manages such a thing? Would boater need to pay a toll? Or, is it a kiddy bay for would-be tike sailors? Or, are submarines the 'new' thing expected?

malsponger
Sep 29, 2008, 3:11 PM
Disagree on the Irvine Company building...

I agree that Irvine Company building is hideous but something there is better than a surface lot. Not to mention i'm sure from a pedestrian experience, the Irvine Company project will at least offer some fill.

HurricaneHugo
Sep 30, 2008, 8:31 AM
It covers our one iconic building...

kpexpress
Oct 1, 2008, 5:59 AM
it COMPLETELY covers up our only "not-a-box" iconic office building.

I never thought that I would ever say this, but if it IS just a box with a crown (like that has never been done) I would want it to be shorter than planned as to not cover up the crown of America Plaza.

Has anyone ever emailed the Irvine people questioning their plans for such a bland design for a lot that screams "new city icon"?

malsponger
Oct 1, 2008, 4:17 PM
The only problem is that if this city wants height, it's impossible not to cover things up. Though One America Plaza is a great beautiful building in my opinion, sit that next to the iconic buildings in other cities. At 500 feet, it might reach to it's first tier. With our height restriction we really limit ourselves and if this city wants desinity, there is little choice than to make all buildings around 500 ft, therefore covering others. It seems like it's already getting covered up with Electra, Bayside and Sapphire, then you know the Irvine Company lot behind One America Plaza is too prime to not put another 500 footer there. It would simply be a waste of space in my opinion if we did not use these lots most effectively as possible. I'd like to see a real downtown in San Diego one day, not just a bunch of high rise luxury condos. If we do not pack more meat in, in terms of commercial space, this won't happen. So, though i'd like to preserve the view of America Plaza, at only 500 ft, it's not likely that will hapen. Though I agree in putting something big in these places, the building planned is hideous, despite such talent working behind it. The last thing I want to see is another one of these:
http://www.emporis.com/images/6/2006/06/463742.jpg
http://www.emporis.com/images/6/2006/04/453392.jpg
In other news, I see that Vantage Pointe is just about topped off. The top fin is completely shaped and they might just be topping off the elevator shafts before the formwork comes off.

SDCAL
Oct 1, 2008, 5:45 PM
IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME THEY DID SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Horton Plaza
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20081001/images/horton280.jpg

$50 million project designed to make downtown center less of a fortress
By Jeanette Steele
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

October 1, 2008

Horton Plaza will no longer turn its back to the rest of downtown San Diego.
Owner Westfield Corp. plans a $50 million makeover at downtown's first big shopping center, built in the 1980s when south of Broadway meant tattoo parlors, pawn shops and adult bookstores.

Westfield
An artist's rendering of the proposed renovation of Horton Plaza shows the view from Broadway Circle to the mall's entrance.

NANCEE E. LEWIS / Union-Tribune
Horton Plaza's owner wants to renovate the mall, which faces a small public park that features a fountain.
Back then, the center was designed as a fortress, with blank walls facing First and Fourth avenues. It was meant to make shoppers feel safe inside with their money.

These days, after a downtown renaissance sparked in part by Horton Plaza, Westfield feels it's time to embrace the street.

Plans filed yesterday show glass storefronts facing outward. A modern-looking, white facade would replace the pastel stucco walls on Broadway and Fourth Avenue. The Australia-based owner wants to start early next year and finish in early 2010.

Westfield is parking a big chunk of capital in San Diego with this and other projects.

It is spending $900 million to recast Westfield UTC in La Jolla as a “walkable village” with housing, offices and more retail space. A plan for a similar makeover at Westfield Mission Valley was filed in August.

Senior Vice President Jonathan Bradhurst said the company likes to hold on to its properties and spruce them up when needed.

Westfield, billed as the largest retail developer in the world, considers San Diego a valuable piece of its $63 billion portfolio, which includes North County mall in Escondido, Plaza Camino Real in Carlsbad, Plaza Bonita in National City and Parkway mall in El Cajon.

Despite the turmoil on Wall Street, Bradhurst said Westfield has $7 billion in funding available for its global pipeline of construction projects.

Horton Plaza timeline

1972: Horton Plaza redevelopment project approved.

1974: Ernest W. Hahn Inc. signs exclusive negotiating agreement.

1978: Proposition 13 tax-cutting measure passes, requiring renegotiation of agreement; Hahn plans to buy land for $1 million and build and operate parking structure.

1980: Hahn company sold to Trizec Ltd. of Canada.

1982: Financing completed, construction begins.

1985: Project opens with 51 stores on Aug. 9; United Artists seven-screen cinema opens in December.

1989: Lyceum Theaters open.

1992: City Council approves construction of Horton Fourth Avenue, a housing and retail project that will cover up the Horton Plaza parking garage.

1998: Westfield America buys Horton Plaza and other San Diego County shopping centers.

1998: Horton Plaza gets a makeover, including a paint job and other refurbishing.

2001: Planet Hollywood closes.

2005: Horton Plaza celebrates its 20th anniversary.

2008: Westfield announces $50 million exterior renovation.

Online: For more renderings of the proposed renovation of Horton Plaza, go to uniontrib.com/more/horton

“We are very conservative and when the market's hot, some would say we're too conservative. But when the market turns upside down, we tend to look pretty clever,” he said.

“What that means is we're able to just look and make the right decisions, and not perhaps be so swayed by the current volatility.”

San Diego real estate consultant Gary London said Westfield probably doesn't have a choice about this makeover if it wants to keep up with the times.

“I bet what they are really saying is in order to remain competitive, they need to spend the money. It's not really a question of do they have the money,” London said.

In its day, Horton Plaza was touted as a breakthrough blueprint for an urban mall. In recent years, it has suffered the departure of major tenants such as Planet Hollywood and Mervyns. The Broadway frontage that once boasted a Robinsons-May now has no street-level occupant.

Despite businesses flourishing around it, Horton Plaza seems to be suffering from a now-dated design.

“At the moment . . . it ain't pretty,” Bradhurst said. “My vision is this has got to be Main and Main in the center of San Diego. This is Fifth Avenue. This is (Chicago's) Michigan Avenue.”

The Horton Plaza makeover has been rumored for a year or more. Bradhurst said the company spent the time talking to customers about what they want. With downtown's population increasing by 13,000 people since 2000, there are more residents to serve in addition to the traditional tourist base.

The feedback: People want an easier-to-use mall, more restaurant options and places to buy housewares and electronics.

Westfield also knows that the shopping center's maze-like ramps need to go. Bradhurst compared them to the moving staircases in a recent Harry Potter movie. But that renovation won't come until later, he said. The famous fruit-and-vegetable-themed parking garage will not be touched.

The new plan is for medium-sized tenants, not department stores, facing Broadway, Fourth and Broadway Circle. Bradhurst wouldn't name names, but said it's not the “shopping cart” crowd.

AdvertisementAnother developer has proposed big-box shopping on the eastern edge of downtown with a home-improvement store and a Target-like store. Bradhurst said that project won't be a direct competitor.
Westfield is biting off a smaller chunk at Horton Plaza, instead of going for the mixed-use “village” concept it chose for the other San Diego malls.

Bradhurst isn't ignoring that possibility, but said the demand would have to be obvious.

Westfield is not asking for public funding, officials said. But this project might spur the city's downtown redevelopment agency to revamp a small public park in front of Horton Plaza on Broadway.

Today, the park's highlight is a colorful tiled fountain. Despite its prominent location, the park doesn't get much use by downtown workers or tourists because of an entrenched homeless population.

The city ripped out the grass there at one point to make it less attractive for homeless encampments, said David Allsbrook, assistant vice president at Centre City Development Corp. But it didn't really work.

“Once we know what Westfield's doing, we will probably want to do something to that park,” Allsbrook said. “Maybe spruce up the fountain.”

Mariobrotha
Oct 1, 2008, 5:47 PM
Here's the plan:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d105/fozcat84/Horton.jpg

Me likes.

malsponger
Oct 1, 2008, 6:06 PM
This is direly needed. Talk about a great location and concept for a mall, yet, it's a pity it is the way it is. There is so much potential for that place if it wasn't so ugly and the layout wasn't so funky. I guess the only thing that will be holding it back will be the some of the lease holders that make it an inferior mall (in terms of public image) to Fashion Valley or UTC.

CoastersBolts
Oct 1, 2008, 7:58 PM
I almost jumped for joy when I saw that article about Horton Plaza in the U-T this morning. Something really needs to be done with the "public park with a fountain" where Planet Hollywood used to be. Being used as a homeless cesspool in the middle of downtown is really unattractive.

The picture of the Reed Elsevier building brings about a question I have about it. Was that building at one point renovated extensively? I ask because in Robert Cameron's coffee table picture book "Above San Diego", there is a building in that location that looks to be about the same size as the building currently standing. However, the picture shows the building as white, ugly, and having a big blue Union Bank sign on two sides.

I'd post a picture of what I'm talking about, but the book is up at my parents house.

Derek
Oct 2, 2008, 2:40 AM
Good news for Horton Plaza! Westfield seems to actually go through with thier projects, so we might actually see this one happen! :ack:

Marina_Guy
Oct 2, 2008, 4:47 AM
Good news for Horton Plaza! Westfield seems to actually go through with thier projects, so we might actually see this one happen! :ack:

What no comments on the design... I am pleased that HP will be getting some sort of a makeover. And if it has a home furnishing bent that is good too. It is badly needed.

But come on... this is the best design they can do? This looks like the building in South Coast Plaza. It does not appear to have any relationship to the existing mall (maybe a good thing or?) It looks like a corporate architect did it. Looks like there could be a parking lot in front of it. This is an urban area.

This building does not embrace the Park. That park has been around for over 100+ years. Couldn't the architecture reflect any of the history? if you look closely none of the space appears to touch the park. In fact, it looks like they have a larger staircase than is what is there now. How about putting a coffee shop on the ground level or a really good restaurant with outdoor seating that would clearly energize the park? Looks like all the public spaces/restaurants are terraced above the street level...

I am happy that Westfield is finally doing something with Horton Plaza...but they could do much better. I guess these days you should be happy with what they give you... but....

HurricaneHugo
Oct 2, 2008, 7:25 AM
yea that's true they can do better, and hopefully this isn't the final design, but it's a step forward!

btw, whatever happened to the office tower on the northeast side and the hotel on the south side?

im sure both projects are dead...

IconRPCV
Oct 2, 2008, 6:07 PM
Well how about some good news. Over in the east village the site for the new Tomas Jefferson Lae School is being preped for demolition, and the site for the Harbor Drive pedestrian bridge is getting preped as well.

sandiegodweller
Oct 3, 2008, 2:58 AM
Developer rushes to finalize loan before land sale

Simplon hopes to fend off creditor, keep downtown site

By Mike Freeman
STAFF WRITER

October 2, 2008

Developers of a proposed 39-story hotel/condo tower just outside Petco Park are scrambling to finalize a heavy-handed bridge loan before Monday, when the full-block site downtown is scheduled for sale at a foreclosure auction.

San Diego-based Simplon Ballpark LLC received bankruptcy court approval yesterday to pursue the $33 million loan for Cosmopolitan Square. The sleek high-rise is planned at J Street and Seventh, Eighth and Island avenues in the East Village.

While approving the additional debt, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge James Meyers did not postpone Monday's scheduled foreclosure.

Over the past seven months, Meyers has delayed foreclosure several times as Simplon toiled unsuccessfully to refinance to project. The company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization in March.

Simplon needs to complete the new loan before Monday to fend off its largest creditor, SDG-Left Field. SDG says it is owed more than $20 million. Other creditors say they are owed an additional $19 million.

Tom Nelson, Simplon's bankruptcy lawyer, was optimistic that the loan would fund – despite the current crisis roiling the credit markets.
“We believe there is a very high probability we'll be able to pull this off and get the loan finalized by Friday,” Nelson said.

Simplon has been working on details of the loan with National Investors Mortgage of Valley Center for about three weeks. The 11th-hour scramble by Simplon to refinance the project highlights the struggles developers are having in San Diego and across the country in getting money given today's tight credit markets.

With credit so tight, the terms of the proposed bridge loan are severe. They include 12 percent in upfront points and fees to lenders, which would be financed from the loan proceeds.

The one-year loan also carries a 15 percent annual interest rate and personal guarantees from developers should they default.

SDG-Left Field is controlled by Steve Black of Cisterra Development, a major San Diego office building company. Its projects include DiamondView Tower, an 15-story high-rise just outside of Petco Park.

Real estate experts speculate that Black is more interested in acquiring the prime downtown site through foreclosure than getting his loan paid off.

Jeffry Davis, a lawyer for SDG-Left Field, declined to comment.

Simplon developed the Radisson Bay View, a 334-room hotel in San Diego, as well as a Radisson Hotel in National City and a housing project in Rancho Santa Fe.

In 2005, Simplon paid $25.5 million for the full block site. It got land-use approval for a $140 million, 334-unit condominium project, which included a new city fire station.

As the housing market tumbled, Simplon shifted gears. It now proposes a 210-room hotel under the upscale Mondrian brand name, as well as 113 “very high-end” condos, according to court records.

Simplon fell behind on debt used to buy the block. With SDG-Left Field threatening foreclosure, Simplon filed for bankruptcy to buy time.

For months, Simplon had been working with Providence Funding of South Bend, Ind., on a proposed loan that would pay off SDG-Left Field.

The deal fell apart about three weeks ago. Providence contends the deal died because Simplon failed to provide requested documents during the underwriting process.

Nelson, Simplon's lawyer, said Providence's requests for documents were “extraordinary and unwarranted.”

Even if the National Investors Mortgage bridge loan funds, Simplon has work to do over the next year. It's negotiating a construction loan from ailing Corus Bank of Chicago. It also must finalize negotiations with Morgans Hotel Group, the operator of Mondrian Hotels.

kpexpress
Oct 3, 2008, 5:19 AM
Did anyone see the debates at Stingaree?

bmfarley
Oct 3, 2008, 6:26 AM
Developer rushes to finalize loan before land sale

Simplon hopes to fend off creditor, keep downtown site

Sounds like a Hail Mary Pass. Reminds me of McCain's effort to postpone his campaign to rush back to DC to work on the rescue!

I'd like to see the project move forward, but it seems foolish for any lender to get involved in this project.... with the housing market way day and such. Unless they anticipate a bailout from the Feds!

kpexpress
Oct 4, 2008, 1:10 AM
While getting on the 5 this afternoon I saw that they started putting the crane up on the corner of 11 ave and B street. This is great news! I can't wait for this area to become more manhattanized.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn60/kpexpress42/photo.jpg

laguna
Oct 4, 2008, 1:33 AM
Sounds like a Hail Mary Pass. Reminds me of McCain's effort to postpone his campaign to rush back to DC to work on the rescue!

I'd like to see the project move forward, but it seems foolish for any lender to get involved in this project.... with the housing market way day and such. Unless they anticipate a bailout from the Feds!

Maybe Obama could ask Tony Resko to help with the project before he goes to jail, the same way he helped Obama get his house in Chicago.

bmfarley
Oct 4, 2008, 3:03 AM
Maybe Obama could ask Tony Resko to help with the project before he goes to jail, the same way he helped Obama get his house in Chicago.Huh?

malsponger
Oct 4, 2008, 4:30 AM
Too bad about Cosmo Square. I have to say that woulda been one of my favorite buildings downtown. I absolutely love the design. Hopefully someone will pick back up where Simplon left off since everything was approved and could be picked up at a premium.

keg92101
Oct 4, 2008, 10:09 PM
Too bad about Cosmo Square. I have to say that woulda been one of my favorite buildings downtown. I absolutely love the design. Hopefully someone will pick back up where Simplon left off since everything was approved and could be picked up at a premium.

I would actually like to see Cisterra get their hands on it. Something tells me that there is a market for more larger floor plate office in that area, with DVT now at 100%. Of course, this would be a few years off, untill the credit market comes back, but I'm all for another office tower over a condo hotel, even if it does mean that we lose cosmo square.

Marina_Guy
Oct 5, 2008, 1:35 AM
I would actually like to see Cisterra get their hands on it. Something tells me that there is a market for more larger floor plate office in that area, with DVT now at 100%. Of course, this would be a few years off, untill the credit market comes back, but I'm all for another office tower over a condo hotel, even if it does mean that we lose cosmo square.

Agree. We need more jobs downtown... Why doesn't the Downtown Partnership start courting Cardinal Health... Move those professional jobs downtown... How about Qualcomm, can't they move some jobs downtown too? There is room in the towers... and more can be built...

====
Cardinal says it will spin off tech business, base it in S.D.

By Terri Somers

September 30, 2008

Bringing a glint of sunshine to an otherwise gloomy day for the economy, Cardinal Health announced yesterday that it will spin off its medical technology business as a separate company based in San Diego.

Cardinal, the country's No. 2 drug-distribution company, said the new publicly traded company may create up to 1,000 additional jobs in the next several years. Most of those jobs, in professional positions such as finance, human resources and information technology, will be based in San Diego, it said.

The move will create a medical-equipment company focused on research and development of new devices, Chief Executive R. Kerry Clark told analysts.

“This is good news and we need some of that right now,” said Alan Gin, an economist at the University of San Diego. “Even in this economic downturn, research and development jobs, especially in the biotech sector, have been a bright spot.”

Cardinal Vice Chairman David Schlotterbeck, 61, will become chief executive of the new public company, which has not yet been named. Schlotterbeck was formerly chief executive of Alaris Medical Systems, a San Diego medical-device company that was acquired by Cardinal for $2 billion in 2004.

Alaris' technology includes infusion pumps, which are small computers that control the flow of intravenous drugs to help prevent mistakes that can lead to overdosing.

The new company will also include the technology of Pyxis, a San Diego medical-technology company that developed computerized prescription drug dispensing systems and was acquired by Cardinal for $920 million in 1996. Ventilators and infection-prevention products will also become part of the new company.

Of Dublin, Ohio-based Cardinal's estimated 50,000 employees worldwide, about 10,000 will work for the newly created company, including 2,000 already in San Diego. The spinoff is expected to be completed by the middle of next year. It will have revenue of more than $4 billion, the company said.

When it comes to income, the products sold by the spinoff are among the fastest growing in the world, Schlotterbeck said.

“We will be the largest pure play medical-technology company that is focused on medical management and infection prevention in the world,” Schlotterbeck said. “I'm just very excited about having the opportunity to do this.”

With the Pyxis acquisition, Cardinal started a phase of expansion in which it targeted promising products that could be sold to its existing customers. But integrating the acquired companies was difficult, said George Barrett, who has headed Cardinal's health care supply line services and will become Cardinal's CEO after the spinoff.

Cardinal has also recently struggled with declining revenue growth in its wholesale drug business due to increased pricing power of large U.S. drugstore chains.

Analysts said the spinoff should help attract a higher stock valuation for the new company.

“The clinical-technology side is really the crown jewel,” said Jeff Jonas, portfolio manager at Gabelli Health and Wellness Trust Mutual Fund. “So that would presumably get a much higher multiple in the market as a stand-alone company.”

He predicted the two entities would have a combined valuation of $60 a share. Cardinal shares closed down $1.16 yesterday at $48.54.

Cardinal did not specify how stock in the new company will be allocated to its shareholders.

Biotechnology continues to weather the financial storm because technologies like those that came out of Alaris and Pyxis help the health care system save money, said Joseph Panetta, who heads Biocom, the industry trade group in Southern California. Interest in these technologies will continue to grow as budgets tighten, Panetta said.

San Diego's biotechnology cluster is well positioned to benefit from this growth, as evidenced by Cardinal's announcement and the news last week that pharmaceutical powerhouse Eli Lilly would open an office here to house SGX Pharmaceuticals and AME, two local companies that it acquired, Panetta said.

It helps that San Diego has a thriving cluster of biotechnology companies and research institutes, because it provides a pool of trained employees, Gin said.

Some of the logistics that make San Diego difficult for other industries, such as manufacturing, don't affect biotech so dramatically, he said. The products of research and development don't have to be shipped by sea or land, for instance; they can be transported over the Internet, he said.

SDCAL
Oct 5, 2008, 9:47 AM
Maybe Obama could ask Tony Resko to help with the project before he goes to jail, the same way he helped Obama get his house in Chicago.

development in San Diego, please stay on topic, take your right-wing BS back to Orange County where it belongs

staplesla
Oct 6, 2008, 6:31 PM
The design for San Diego's downtown waterfront makeover is in, and it incorporates jacaranda trees, towering date palms, whimsical light poles and sea gull-inspired restroom art.

The city and the San Diego Unified Port District recently green-lighted a concept for the $28.5 million first phase of what's known as the North Embarcadero Visionary Plan.

Rows of 35-foot medjool date palms will line Broadway. Between them will be light poles reminiscent of dancing figures. Four groves of purple-flowered jacaranda trees will flank the base of Broadway.

Taken as a whole, the design is supposed to make a grand statement at the foot of Broadway, where downtown meets San Diego Bay.

“It's creating a major new corridor,” said Centre City Development Corp. Chairman Fred Maas, a member of the special authority formed to oversee the project. “The introduction of public art and the trees, jacarandas and palms – it's all going to make a significant contribution.”

One person who has seen the concept is not terribly impressed. “I'm underwhelmed with what we've seen so far,” said Don Wood, a longtime activist on bay issues. “I didn't see anything in there that told me this was San Diego, this was the waterfront.”
One attention-grabber in the plans is the dramatic restroom and shade pavilions designed by Los Angeles artist Pae White, who won a $125,000 contract to provide designs for the project's first phase.

White's idea was influenced by the popular 1970 novel “Jonathan Livingston Seagull” by Richard Bach. A slide from White's recent presentation asks, “Can a bathroom be a poem?”

Her drawings show a jumble of words covering the restroom building and the pavilion roofs. Some would be translucent, so light can reflect through and project letters below. The words chosen would be inspired by Bach's book about a sea gull who wanted to be special.

San Diego's bayfront spruce-up plan has been a long time in the making.

The basic idea of widening the pedestrian promenade along the water was approved in 2005. It sat on a shelf before it was jump-started in 2007.

Harbor Drive is slated to become narrower to make way for a promenade that would gain flowers, grass and more places to sit. The idea is to shift most traffic one block east to Pacific Highway.

The whole project encompasses a mile and a half of Harbor Drive from Laurel to G streets. Price tag: at least $228 million, to be shared by the city and the Port District.

The first phase is from Navy Pier to B Street Pier and includes about a block of West Broadway. The city's downtown redevelopment agency will provide about $18.6 million, and the port will pay $10 million.

Officials hope to start moving dirt next fall.

Separately, the Port District is poised to build a $28 million cruise-ship terminal on the Broadway Pier. The proposal is controversial, as it was originally billed as a temporary measure but morphed into a permanent structure that critics said would wreck views down Broadway.

The latest design is fronted by a piece of public art made from acrylic and glass panels in sea-foam green. Artistic lighting will cast reflections that look like dancing water. About $10 million of the cost will be covered by a loan from Carnival cruise line. The port is looking for a donor who would get naming rights.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20081006-9999-1m6design.html

SDCAL
Oct 6, 2008, 7:23 PM
http://photos.signonsandiego.com/albums/081002northembarcardero/BroadwayatHarbor.jpg

http://photos.signonsandiego.com/albums/081002northembarcardero/restroom.jpg

http://photos.signonsandiego.com/albums/081002northembarcardero/Jacarandagrove.jpg

http://photos.signonsandiego.com/albums/081002northembarcardero/NEVP1.jpg

http://photos.signonsandiego.com/albums/081002northembarcardero/Broadway_Pier_terminal.jpg

http://photos.signonsandiego.com/albums/081002northembarcardero/kiosk.jpg

http://photos.signonsandiego.com/albums/081002northembarcardero/overview_001.jpg

http://photos.signonsandiego.com/albums/081002northembarcardero/overview.jpg

I actually like the bathroom design, with the text-art concept, pretty creative for a restroom

I also like the palms and trees to add a park-like feel, but the terminal building looks very bland and ugly :/

staplesla
Oct 6, 2008, 8:55 PM
SAN DIEGO – The third and final meeting considering environmental aspects of the implementation of the City of San Diego’s development agreement with the Navy for the Broadway Complex is set for Tuesday, Oct. 7 at 10 a.m. in Building 12 at the Complex.

“This is the final meeting in a series of three gatherings where the public can weigh in with their thoughts and comments about environmental aspects of the Navy Broadway Complex redevelopment. Comments may be submitted in writing by email, letter, or on the website through Oct. 18,” said Capt. Matt Brown, a spokesperson for Navy Region Southwest.

The final meeting will follow the same format as the previous meetings including a two hour open house with information on various aspects of the current 2008 draft environmental analysis, followed by a two hour period where the public may make statements.

“Because so few people have had the opportunity to visit the Navy Broadway Complex in the past this meeting is an excellent way to get a better understanding of the site and the conditions that currently exist on this piece of federal property. We’re hoping people will take advantage of this meeting to come out and see a bit of the complex,” said Brown.

Parking is available adjacent to the meeting site at the Navy Complex with additional parking available on Pacific Hwy.

http://www.navycompass.com/content/view/845/322/

spoonman
Oct 7, 2008, 5:08 AM
I think I just threw up a little in my mouth...the Jacarandas look great but those metal twirly looking things in the road median are aweful...why bother putting anything at all:dead:

Yes, yes...it inspires that nautical sense...stupid bastards...I'm tired of paying for crap

SDCAL
Oct 7, 2008, 5:43 AM
Does anyone have any info on Lane Field?

CCDC just updated on Oct 2nd saying the project will START construction in 2011!?!?!?!?!

I thought this was one that was ready to go and was supposed to ground break this year.

Guess we get even more "quality" time with the lovely parking lots on our bay

HurricaneHugo
Oct 7, 2008, 8:35 AM

I hate the Irvine Tower even more than Lane Field.

dl3000
Oct 7, 2008, 8:45 AM
Yeah that thing is massive bulk. The architecture of the waterfront looks like it will easily show its age in the future. Certainly not timeless which is what i was hoping for.

sandiegodweller
Oct 7, 2008, 2:57 PM

You have a few years to protest for a change. It won't be built for awhile.

The Irvine Co. lays off 100 workers

ASSOCIATED PRESS

5:38 p.m. September 19, 2008

NEWPORT BEACH – The Irvine Co. has laid off 100 employees, blaming a weak economy and declining land sales.
The Newport Beach-based land developer announced the layoffs on Friday, its first cutbacks in 16 years.

John Christensen, a company vice president, calls the decision “painful.” However, the company noted that cutbacks were needed because of “dormant land sales to homebuilders.”

The Irvine Co. has more than 3,000 employees and is Orange County's largest landowner.

Information from: The Orange County Register, www.ocregister.com

staplesla
Oct 7, 2008, 5:03 PM
Does anyone have any info on Lane Field?

CCDC just updated on Oct 2nd saying the project will START construction in 2011!?!?!?!?!

I thought this was one that was ready to go and was supposed to ground break this year.

Guess we get even more "quality" time with the lovely parking lots on our bay

From what I hear there was concern as the credit line was lowered. Things have been pushed back hopefully for things in the market to improve.

Fusey
Oct 7, 2008, 6:20 PM
Hopefully during this downtime some of the pet peeves people have been discussing here will be addressed.

And spoonman is right; those twirly things have got to go. They don't provide any shade nor do they look the least bit creative.

staplesla
Oct 7, 2008, 10:47 PM
Hopefully during this downtime some of the pet peeves people have been discussing here will be addressed.

And spoonman is right; those twirly things have got to go. They don't provide any shade nor do they look the least bit creative.

The twirly things are light posts. They aren't meant to lend shade. Though I don't like them either and think the whole design is a joke.

staplesla
Oct 8, 2008, 4:23 AM
Anyone hear anything about the Cosmopolitan? Simplon was required to come up with the money by yesterday or face foreclosure. Just curious if anyone heard anything.

kpexpress
Oct 8, 2008, 10:24 AM

For some reason I think that the building that will be built on the Irvine lot needs to be very slender and tall as not to take away (or in this case, cover up) our sculptor-like America Plaza. I think it would add some verticality similar to Electra.

Or what about something NOT-SQUARE (we have too many of those) how about something round...
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2407/2386652228_5bec7aca55_o.jpg

How about something with some curves?
http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/4582/flamenco2vp3.jpg

Twists?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2213/2478721480_c06c168f4e_o.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn224/ersatzzeal/e2.jpg

Or just something completely different that what is in our skyline now..
http://www.eikongraphia.com/wordpress/wp-content/vue%20tour%20nuit%20desktop.jpg
Or a scaled down something similar to...
http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2007/08/12/ba_transbay024_skidmore.jpg

bmfarley
Oct 8, 2008, 3:36 PM
^^^ What really sells those buildings as being iconic... in addition to their shapes... is that they are TALLLLLL. Which one is the shortest... and how tall is it? And, unfortunately, 500 feet above the mean high tide is the tallest structures can go in downtown San Diego before the FAA begins adding additional restrictions onto aircraft flying into Lindbergh.

latinfreak
Oct 8, 2008, 6:35 PM
^^^ What really sells those buildings as being iconic... in addition to their shapes... is that they are TALLLLLL. Which one is the shortest... and how tall is it? And, unfortunately, 500 feet above the mean high tide is the tallest structures can go in downtown San Diego before the FAA begins adding additional restrictions onto aircraft flying into Lindbergh. not always, the Torre Agbar in Barcelona (the "round" one) is only 473.75 ft in height... i think architects just need to get that height restriction mindblock out of their heads and try to be more creative... :cheers:

Marina_Guy
Oct 8, 2008, 7:09 PM
not always, the Torre Agbar in Barcelona (the "round" one) is only 473.75 ft in height... i think architects just need to get that height restriction mindblock out of their heads and try to be more creative... :cheers:

Agree. The community does not engage the architect to try harder. Those building are excellent examples of creativity and energy. We have too many conservative types in this town.

I love the new light posts for North Embarcadero. They are different and lively.

Remember in order to bring change, we all must engage and push people for better. Show up at these public meetings and make your views known...if you don't you are just complainers.

sandiegodweller
Oct 9, 2008, 10:59 PM
Anyone hear anything about the Cosmopolitan? Simplon was required to come up with the money by yesterday or face foreclosure. Just curious if anyone heard anything.

All parties agreed to give Simplon until tomorrow (Friday) to get the financing. I can't imagine that happened when the stock market was crashing all week.

Ironically, Cisterra doesn't really want the property back now. They would much rather be paid off on their note.

staplesla
Oct 10, 2008, 1:33 AM
FYI:

Harbor Drive Pedestrian Bridge groundbreaking ceremony.

Date: Thursday, Oct. 23

Time: 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.

Location: The foot of Park Boulevard at Harbor Drive, opposite PETCO Park

RSVP: E-mail events@ccdc.com

Designed to be one of the world’s largest self-anchored pedestrian suspension bridges, the iconic structure will:
• Realize the 100-year vision linking Balboa Park to San Diego Bay
• Reopen Harbor Drive at Park Boulevard
• Provide safe pedestrian crossing over Harbor Drive and train and trolley tracks
• Add public open space.

The project is a collaboration of local, state, regional and federal agencies including Centre City Development Corporation working on behalf of the City of San Diego and its Redevelopment Agency, California Department of Transportation, California Transportation Commission, SANDAG, JMI Realty, Federal Highway Administration and the Unified Port of San Diego.

Fusey
Oct 10, 2008, 10:11 PM
Did the Setai resume construction? I came across this (http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/2008/10/9/82437/1686/hotels/Hotel_Opening_Rates_Setai_San_Diego_Opening_at_300_a_Night) tonight:

We cruised on over to the Setai San Diego's website and saw that rooms were available starting December 17th for $300 a night.

bmfarley
Oct 11, 2008, 3:48 AM
Did the Setai resume construction? I came across this (http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/2008/10/9/82437/1686/hotels/Hotel_Opening_Rates_Setai_San_Diego_Opening_at_300_a_Night) tonight:I didn't know they stopped construction.... 've always seen something going on there.

Fusey
Oct 11, 2008, 3:56 PM
Really? Every time I walked by there from March to July I never saw anyone besides a security guard.

bmfarley
Oct 11, 2008, 10:30 PM
Really? Every time I walked by there from March to July I never saw anyone besides a security guard.

Maybe I just did not notice?

Fusey
Oct 11, 2008, 10:34 PM
Some forumers mentioned it a couple of months ago:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=3735540&highlight=setai#post3735540

Anyways, it's great news Setai is opening up. Hopefully it helps lead to more revitalization in that neighborhood.

sandiegodweller
Oct 15, 2008, 3:14 AM
Land Leased for 500,000-SF San Diego Convention Center Addition
Oct 14, 2008

The 2.6 million-square-foot San Diego Convention Center is preparing for a growth spurt. The board of the facility's management and operating entity, the San Diego Convention Center Corp., recently voted to plunk down $1 million to acquire a one-year lease option on 8.5 acres of land across from the existing center for an expansion project that could encompass as much as 500,000 square feet of new exhibit space along the waterfront. The San Diego Convention Center was originally developed in 1989 at a cost of $164 million, and in 2001, underwent a $216 million expansion. According to the SDCCC, expanding the property is essential, as the city loses a year's worth of business annually due to space availability. Officials will work out the detail of the project over the coming year, but tentative plans also leave open the possibility for a convention-oriented hotel.

SDCAL
Oct 15, 2008, 6:03 PM
http://www.lankfordandassociates.com/pics/project_pics/lanefield_image1.jpg

CCDC updated the project with a ground breaking date of 'spring 2009'

Hopefully it will get off the ground :frog:

Fusey
Oct 15, 2008, 9:02 PM
Can we bet on that in Vegas? :haha:

sandiegodweller
Oct 15, 2008, 10:06 PM
Setai San Diego Announces Executive Team
Team Will Lead Opening of Luxury Downtown San Diego Hotel Later This Year
Last update: 3:49 p.m. EDT Oct. 7, 2008

SAN DIEGO, Oct 07, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Setai San Diego, a premier 184-room luxury hotel located in downtown San Diego, has announced the executive team to oversee the opening and operations of the $150 million property. As previously announced, Craig Waterman will lead the team as general manager. Joining him is Director of Sales and Marketing Tohnia Miller, Hotel Manager Steve Gomez, Spa Director Michelle Frye and Executive Chef Anthony Calamari. Setai San Diego will open in late 2008 and includes a 5,500 square-foot spa, 20,000 square-feet of event space, a restaurant, pool deck and lounge, and the most exclusive three-story penthouse on the West Coast.
Waterman, a 22-year veteran of the luxury hotel industry, will oversee all daily operations for the entire property and ensure the needs of every guest are anticipated and met. Most recently, he served as general manager at the Four-Diamond Water Color Inn & Resort in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida. Previously, he was general manager at the famous Miami Shore Club.
Collaborating closely with Waterman is Tohnia Miller, director of sales and marketing. In her role, Miller manages all sales and marketing initiatives and oversees group business reservations for the 20,000 square-feet of event space. Setai San Diego's meeting space includes the Grand Setai Ballroom, seven conference rooms, a private screening room and a recording studio. Miller served as general manager of the Mosiac Hotel in Beverly Hills and was responsible for overseeing all sales and marketing efforts. She brings over 20 years in the hospitality industry.
Steve Gomez, Setai San Diego's hotel manager will oversee the daily management of the hotel. He will work closely with hotel staff to ensure exceptional customer service. Prior to joining the Setai San Diego team, Gomez was assistant general manager at the prestigious Rancho Bernardo Inn. Before that he was director of room operations at the Pebble Beach Resort in Monterey, California.
As spa director, Michelle Frye worked hand in hand with the spa team to develop unique services for SPA SETAI. Treatments have been created with Indian, Japanese and Southeast Asian influences. Frye has served eight years in the spa field and 17 years in the hospitality industry. Previously, she was spa director at the Pacific Waters Spa at the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort and Spa. Frye also served as assistant spa director at the Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa.
With 12 years of culinary experience, Anthony Calamari brings his training in French and Californian cuisine to the hotel's food and beverage program. After earning his culinary degree at Tante Maria's Cooking School, Calamari traveled abroad to Europe where he cultivated his unique style and flavor. Most recently he was the Executive Chef at Cielo Restaurant at the Ventana Inn & Spa, Big Sur, California, which was included in Conde Nast Traveler's "Hot List" 2006.
Rounding out the executive team are Director of Finance Joe Harvey and Director of Human Resources Mike Nowland.
The Setai San Diego will offer ultra-chic, world-class amenities, sophisticated design and a luxurious destination for discerning travelers. For further information on Setai San Diego please visit www.setaisandiego.com or call 619.513.3000.
SOURCE: Setai San Diego
Bailey Gardiner for Setai San Diego
Carrie Shields, 619-295-8232 ext. 108

Copyright Business Wire 2008

staplesla
Oct 16, 2008, 5:07 AM
10News San Diego:
If you have been following the North Broadway Complex story, you will find this latest court filing of interest. Attorney Corey Briggs is amending an earlier filing he made. A court hearing on this amended complaint is scheduled for October 27.
If you open up this document (http://www.10news.com/download/2008/1016/17725621.pdf), you will see how two of the additional claims relate directly to the story the 10News I-Team broke.
The claims refer to the fault in the proposed development area that has never been addressed by CCDC nor the developer. As the I-Team found, there is an active fault cutting into the property from the bay.

http://www.10news.com/news/17725627/detail.html

bmfarley
Oct 16, 2008, 7:50 PM
10News San Diego:
If you have been following the North Broadway Complex story, you will find this latest court filing of interest. Attorney Corey Briggs is amending an earlier filing he made. A court hearing on this amended complaint is scheduled for October 27.
If you open up this document (http://www.10news.com/download/2008/1016/17725621.pdf), you will see how two of the additional claims relate directly to the story the 10News I-Team broke.
The claims refer to the fault in the proposed development area that has never been addressed by CCDC nor the developer. As the I-Team found, there is an active fault cutting into the property from the bay.

http://www.10news.com/news/17725627/detail.html
I think the precense of a fault is being over-inflated. If one is there, build a stronger building. It's not unheard of... the UC Berkeley plans to rebuild their stadium atop one. At teh end of the day, it should not stop the project.

Fusey
Oct 17, 2008, 8:48 PM
Can't say I'm surprised by this:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20081016-9999-1m16fountain.html
Dancing Waters fountain's well might run dry

Maintenance, water costs cause merchants to ponder feature's future
By Jeanette Steele

October 16, 2008

DOWNTOWN SAN DIEGO – The Dancing Waters fountain, a fan favorite near the foot of Fifth Avenue, might be approaching the end of its act.

The water feature delights passers-by at a plaza known as Gaslamp Square Park, one of the first things that visitors see as they leave the San Diego Convention Center and head into the Gaslamp District.

But the downtown merchants who help maintain the fountain are questioning its future.

They say it's become a maintenance black hole that costs downtown property owners nearly $40,000 a year, is a danger to children and uses 1,000 gallons of water a day during an epic drought – about three times the typical daily water use at a single-family home.

Frustrated downtown merchants would like the city to consider a makeover for the entire plaza. They'd like something in the same spirit, but not so troubled.

“It is time to do something,” Jimmy Parker, Gaslamp Quarter Association executive director, said at a recent committee meeting of his organization.

The city owns the park and would have the final say. But it might be hard to continue to do nothing about the problems there.

A steel barricade surrounds the fountain because it is considered unsafe. Loose paving stones have the tendency to pinch fingers and toes of children who play there. Several years ago, the downtown maintenance district paid out more than $20,000 on an injury claim.

The fountain, installed in 1995, is unusual because the average visitor might think there's nothing more than everyday pavement in the plaza.

But, suddenly, more than 40 jets of water shoot up in a dramatic flourish. The streams reach as high as 30 feet before falling back to the plaza floor, where a drain system collects the water that doesn't evaporate or blow away.

“People have just come to love it,” said Gary Smith, president of the San Diego Downtown Residents Group. “Does that mean we are wedded to the current one? No.”

The fountain has taken a beating, and now $150,000 in maintenance is needed. Officials estimate that kind of investment might be required every five years, in part because water inevitably erodes parts. In 2007, the fountain only worked 137 days.

Concrete bollards were installed around the outside to discourage future harm from vehicles. In 1996 and 1997, forklifts dismantling the outdoor music festival Street Scene damaged the fountain's innards. An insurance policy paid for repairs.

Another troublesome point is using precious water during a drought.

Already, the downtown maintenance district that operates the fountain is poised to significantly cut back its hours. Now the fountain runs from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., but soon it will only “dance” from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 4 to 6 p.m.

If San Diego resorts to mandatory water cutbacks in the future, downtown officials say they will turn off the fountain entirely.

It's a conundrum for downtown merchants and residents.

“Everyone likes the idea of a water feature,” said Marsha Sewell, a downtown interior designer who serves on the Gaslamp Quarter Association's land-use committee. “But not one that evaporates, and one that's more environmentally friendly and safe.”

sandiegodweller
Oct 18, 2008, 4:19 PM
High-rise proposal near Petco goes bust

By Mike Freeman
October 18, 2008

The developers of Cosmopolitan Square, a proposed 39-story hotel/condo project overlooking Petco Park, failed in a last-minute bid to find new financing and lost the full-block site to foreclosure.

At an auction Thursday, senior lender SDG-Left Field took control of the undeveloped downtown block at J Street and Seventh, Eighth and Island avenues to satisfy $20.6 million in debt and penalties.

Although home foreclosures have surged locally in the past two years, it remains unusual for a commercial project to fall into foreclosure. But some real estate experts are watching to see how much of a strain the credit crisis puts on commercial real estate owners – particularly those who bought buildings at sky-high prices during the boom.

In 2005, San Diego-based Simplon Ballpark LLC bought the Cosmopolitan Square site for $25.5 million. Initially, it got land-use approval for a 334-unit condo tower.

As the housing market crumbled, Simplon pivoted to propose an upscale Mondrian Hotel for two-thirds of the high-rise, with the remainder being very high-end condos. The project also included a new city fire station.

Armed with appraisals estimating the property value at more than $65 million, Simplon racked up nearly $40 million in debt. But the company fell behind on loan payments and filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization in March to avoid foreclosure.

Simplon also filed for bankruptcy on two other partial blocks it owned downtown – one at State and Ash streets in Little Italy and another at 17th and G streets. The State and Ash site was lost to foreclosure in July. The 17th and G bankruptcy is ongoing.
Simplon officials did not return a phone call and an e-mail seeking comment.

The company, which previously developed Radisson hotels in San Diego and National City, worked for months with a handful of lenders in hopes of securing a bridge loan that would pay off SDG-Left Field and other loan holders.

The bankruptcy has been messy, particularly in the past two weeks. As negotiations with potential lenders dragged on, a bankruptcy court judge gave Simplon until Oct. 6 to secure a loan or face foreclosure. SDG-Left Field agreed to delay the auction until Oct. 11, when one lender looked like it might fund a $33 million bridge loan.

When that deal fell apart, a junior debtor on the project filed for bankruptcy in hopes of preventing SDG-Left Field from foreclosing. The junior debtor is an entity linked to Scripps Investment and Loan in La Jolla. It originally lent Simplon $13.5 million and is likely owed more with unpaid interest and penalties.

On Wednesday, a bankruptcy court judge said SDG-Left Field could go ahead with foreclosure despite the Scripps entity bankruptcy.

SDG-Left Field is controlled by Steve Black of Cisterra Development, a major office developer in San Diego. Cisterra recently built DiamondView Tower, a 15-story high-rise a few blocks from the Cosmopolitan Square site.

Cisterra sold DiamondView to a German real estate company recently for $161 million.

Last year, SDG-Left Field bought the original $15 million senior debt on the Cosmopolitan Square property from Liberty Bankers Insurance of Oklahoma. David Dick, an attorney for SDG-Left Field, declined to say how much Liberty was paid for the note.

The site is not for sale today, Dick said.

“It is a very well-located piece of real estate,” he said. “While we were ready and willing to be paid off . . . we are very happy to own it. It's a great piece of real estate.”

Even though Cisterra is primarily an office developer, it's too early to say whether it will seek city permission to change the use from the current hotel/condo approvals. Dick acknowledged that an office building also would be difficult to move forward in today's credit market.

Mike Freeman: (760) 476-8209; mike.freeman@uniontrib.com

Derek
Oct 19, 2008, 9:10 AM
Woot!!

malsponger
Oct 19, 2008, 6:08 PM
I sure hope whatever goes up instead is something big and dense that fully utilizes the lot. These large lots need to be fully taken advantage of looking well into the future and I think the CCDC needs to regulate on that.

Fusey
Oct 19, 2008, 8:39 PM
Speaking of large lots does anyone know who owns the land on the lot between 8th & 9th north of C? I looked at the CCDC's website and couldn't find any projects listed there. With Vantage Pointe getting ready for completion and 1050 B Street's crane up and running it seems like that area will be getting busier and busier over the next few years.

HurricaneHugo
Oct 20, 2008, 8:09 AM
16th & Market is looking pretty good :)

bmfarley
Oct 20, 2008, 7:53 PM
Speaking of large lots does anyone know who owns the land on the lot between 8th & 9th north of C? I looked at the CCDC's website and couldn't find any projects listed there. With Vantage Pointe getting ready for completion and 1050 B Street's crane up and running it seems like that area will be getting busier and busier over the next few years.I recall that the downtown community plan depicts a park on that block; occupying about one-half the lot on the C Street side.

Derek
Oct 21, 2008, 5:40 AM
16th & Market is looking pretty good :)

Pics? :)

HurricaneHugo
Oct 21, 2008, 8:57 AM
I was driving at the time...but I do have this pic of Vantage Point in the skyline. :)

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v357/243/45/3317344/n3317344_40241770_818.jpg

and another of the El Prado Bridge
http://photos-h.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v357/243/45/3317344/n3317344_40241775_2632.jpg

:)

HurricaneHugo
Oct 21, 2008, 9:15 AM
Also, do you guys know of any orphanages in San Diego?

My organization wants to hold a holiday drive collecting toys, clothes, food, money, etc and donate it to an orphanage here in San Diego. Usually we go to one in TJ but this time they want to go to one in the city. But I can't find one...

keg92101
Oct 22, 2008, 4:25 PM
Too bad for cosmo square.

It will be great to get another office tower in the hood thought

staplesla
Oct 24, 2008, 12:42 AM
CCDC BOARD GRANTS CONCEPT DESIGN APPROVAL FOR NAVY BROADWAY COMPLEX PARK (Columbia/Marina)

The Board approved the concept design for Navy Broadway Complex (NBC) Park, which will be located on the western half of the block bounded by Broadway, Harbor Drive , Pacific Highway and the extension of E Street. The 1.9 acre park site adjoins the proposed Manchester Pacific Gateway, LLC development as part of the overall Navy Broadway Complex development. In developing the concept design, CCDC and the design team incorporated feedback from both the community outreach process specific to the park and community workshops facilitated as part of the larger Navy Broadway Complex project, the subject of an agreement between the City of San Diego and the United States Navy. The NBC Park design was incorporated into the Superseding Master Plan for the Navy Broadway Complex and found to be consistent with the Development Agreement in July 2007. Minor modifications to the NBC Park design, as found in the Superseding Master Plan, are proposed to conform to the recently modified North Embarcadero Visionary Plan. In addition, the park will implement a number of the recommendations of the Downtown Community Plan and result in additional open space for downtown. (Vote 4-0 with Directors Brown and Shaw excused and Director LeSar not present for vote.) To read the complete staff report here is the report.

http://www.ccdc.com/events/resources/Item%206%20-%20NBC.pdf

Fusey
Oct 24, 2008, 3:08 PM
Well, at least here's some good news.

Footbridge to Petco Park under construction
By Jeanette Steele
3:16 p.m. October 23, 2008

Construction crews are boring the first holes for a landmark $26.8 million downtown San Diego footbridge, in part so that Padres fans can cross safely to their cars from nearby Petco Park.

At a groundbreaking ceremony Thursday, Mayor Jerry Sanders lauded the start of the sometimes-controversial Harbor Drive project while defending its cost and importance. The project's price has ballooned from an estimated $12.8 million in 2005 at a time of tight city budgets and new revenue shortfalls.

The southwest side of the bridge connects to a 2,000-spot parking garage and a Hilton hotel that will open in December.

But the northeast side will now lead only to an empty parking lot instead of the luxury Marriott hotel once envisioned – though property owner JMI Realty, Padres owner John Moores' development company, is looking for a new hotelier after Marriott dropped out.

Sanders said the city's $11.1 million contribution was worthwhile because San Diego needed a bridge if it wanted to reopen the Park Boulevard pedestrian crossing that was closed for the ballpark. Also, the money is coming from downtown redevelopment taxes, which can't be used elsewhere in San Diego.

“The project had to move forward,” Sanders said after the ceremony. “And the fact that the community wanted an iconic structure, and we worked with them, I think it makes it a good use of money.”

Here's how the funding breaks down:

* $11.1 million from the city's downtown redevelopment district

* $6 million from a grant tied to a 2006 transportation state bond

* $4.9 million from Moores' company

* $2.8 million from the Federal Highway Administration

* $2 million from a state transportation program

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/images/081023bridge123.jpg
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20081023-1516-bn23bridge.html

CoastersBolts
Oct 24, 2008, 9:23 PM
When will the bridge be completed? Sometime during baseball season next year, I hope.

bmfarley
Oct 24, 2008, 10:58 PM
The bridge is a wonderful investment in downtown. I am looking forward to seeing in progress over the next few months. Hooray for decision makers and others that made it happen.

staplesla
Oct 25, 2008, 2:24 AM
When will the bridge be completed? Sometime during baseball season next year, I hope.

Winter 2009

Derek
Oct 25, 2008, 7:00 AM
Woot!

kpexpress
Oct 30, 2008, 10:54 PM
Ace Hardware is coming to Downtown!!! Spring 2009

Derek
Oct 30, 2008, 11:16 PM
Woot!

HurricaneHugo
Oct 31, 2008, 4:10 AM
Ace Hardware is coming to Downtown!!! Spring 2009

too bad the san diego hardware store went under :(

staplesla
Oct 31, 2008, 7:08 PM
Does anyone on here think we could do better with the San Diego Coronado Bay Bridge? I know they are working on spending millions to have creative uplighting to better show it off.

I just think we could have a better signature bridge that could have a bigger impact on the downtown skyline.

I like Santiago Calatrava's designs and think they'd fit in well with the Bay. Here are some pics of some of his current designs. Just curious what you guys and gals thought.

New Bridge under construction in downtown Dallas
http://www.alstaplesassociates.com/images/bridgedallas.jpg

Calatrava bridge in Italy
http://www.alstaplesassociates.com/images/bridgeitaly.jpg

Calatrava bridge in Israel
http://www.alstaplesassociates.com/images/calatravaisreal.jpg

bmfarley
Oct 31, 2008, 11:15 PM
I found this on the CCDC website for a design review committee meeting coming up on November 5th.

FOSTER WEST – Centre City Development Permit 2008-08 for an 8-story (85 feet) mixed-use building consisting of 118 apartment units, 12,400 square feet of ground-floor retail space, and three levels of subterranean parking (129 spaces). The 20,000 square-foot project site is located along the north side of G Street between 11th Avenue and Park Boulevard – East Village Redevelopment District.

HurricaneHugo
Nov 2, 2008, 3:04 AM
The Coronado bridge is fine, I don't think they could have done better with the location

All those calatrava bridges seem to be overkill for their intended purposes...

tdavis
Nov 2, 2008, 8:22 AM
I actually agree with Staplesla. The Coronado bridge is boring and does nothing for the bay. It's a shame with such great signature bridges such as the Golden Gate in San Fran, Williamsburg in NYC, and the Harbour Bridge in Sydney, Australia that they couldn't have built something better here.

ShekelPop
Nov 4, 2008, 1:07 AM
since there's not much else to talk about, I thought I'd chime in as well regarding the Coronado Bridge. I have to disagree with those who wish the bridge had more to it. I think that from most vantage points, anything more than the nice sleek simple curve that it is would obstruct a perfectly decent view of both the sky and the coast in the distance. so many of these cities are looking for Calatrava to give them wings, but they really dont have much else going for them. The bay and the ocean are the the real attractions, and my take is that we're lucky that we don't need a bridge to liven things up.

Fusey
Nov 5, 2008, 2:58 PM
Voters soundly reject Marine Terminal deck
By Ronald W. Powell
2:10 a.m. November 5, 2008

SAN DIEGO – A plan to build a 40-foot-tall deck over a downtown marine cargo terminal was headed for defeat early Wednesday by a wide margin.
Proposition B would have amended the San Diego Unified Port District's master plan to allow construction of the platform over the port's 96-acre 10th Avenue Marine Terminal.

The initiative was paid for by two developers who ran a low-budget campaign to convince voters in the Port District's five cities – San Diego, National City, Chula Vista, Imperial Beach and Coronado – that the deck could support a sports arena, a hotel, an aquarium or other uses, including a football stadium for the Chargers.

The team stayed on the sidelines during the campaign, but its executives said they would explore the deck plan if voters approved it.

An endorsement of Proposition B by voters also would have given developers Frank Gallagher and Richard Chase the opportunity to build on the terminal itself, as long as maritime uses remained the priority.

The proposal drew a solid wall of opposition from the Port District, the county's congressional delegation, the secretary of the Navy, environmentalists, waterfront businesses, the State Lands Commission and the city councils of the Port District's five member cities.

Port Commissioner Stephen Cushman said the results show the opposition against the initiative was “the likes of which this community has never seen.”

“It shows that the voters saw through a deceptive and a very bad proposition,” he said.

With structural engineers saying the deck could cost as much as $800 million, opponents argued that the developers had no intention of building it. They argued that Proposition B was a thinly veiled “land grab” of public property for development on the bayfront terminal.

Gallagher blamed the loss on his opponents' advertising campaign, which showed military ships loading at the terminal and how important the port was to their mission.

“They had this advertising that made me look like I am Osama bin Laden,” he said. “We're in a military town and that didn't play well.”
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/politics/20081105-0210-bn05deck.html

keg92101
Nov 5, 2008, 3:39 PM
Now that this has passed, what does it mean for California? What are the routes, and what is the 1st leg to be built?

mongoXZ
Nov 5, 2008, 4:26 PM
It means 160,000 construction related jobs & 450,000 permanent jobs. Jobs are good! Right?

The first leg would be LA---SJ----SF I believe. Here's a vid:
GZ_pz_-sSYQ

bmfarley
Nov 5, 2008, 6:21 PM
The California High Speed Rail project will be the states largest ever public works effort. Because of its size and complexity, it will advance in phases. The first phase will be linking San Francisco and Los Angeles with an initial construction effort in the Central Valley (to get train system testing section up and running asap).

Phases to San Diego and Sacramento will follow. An adopted preferred alignment is already in the books, but may be revisited. Actually, it seems it has too! The San Diego station is at Santa Fe Depot and the alignment enters downtown as an aerial structure. That decision was made before all the towers went up immediately adjacent to the existing rail corridor. And, I am very doubful neighbors would appreciate an aerial structure right out their windows. Maybe put it underground, like in San Francisco? But, imo, it should come downtown because that is where people are destined.

keg92101
Nov 5, 2008, 8:02 PM
The California High Speed Rail project will be the states largest ever public works effort. Because of its size and complexity, it will advance in phases. The first phase will be linking San Francisco and Los Angeles with an initial construction effort in the Central Valley (to get train system testing section up and running asap).

Phases to San Diego and Sacramento will follow. An adopted preferred alignment is already in the books, but may be revisited. Actually, it seems it has too! The San Diego station is at Santa Fe Depot and the alignment enters downtown as an aerial structure. That decision was made before all the towers went up immediately adjacent to the existing rail corridor. And, I am very doubful neighbors would appreciate an aerial structure right out their windows. Maybe put it underground, like in San Francisco? But, imo, it should come downtown because that is where people are destined.

I agree, and perhaps incorporate it into the Lindburgh Metro Station that Sanders introduced this past year. I think that there is the room to put it there, and any impact on industrial properties is far easier to mitigate than residential high rises.

staplesla
Nov 5, 2008, 9:47 PM

The San Diego line is actually going to be underground now downtown. My husband is the civil engineer working on the line. The funds will also allow for the trolley tracks to be tunneled with HSR in parts to free up most of the delays on the roads.

Also, people on here are stating SF to LA will be the first line. This isn't actually true. They aren't sure yet. This was one of the reasons for the change from Proposition1 (SF to LA line) to Proposition 1A. Proposition 1A allows for the first financially feasible line to be built. My husband says that the SD through Riverside back down to LA line will be cheaper and may actually get built first. Regardless though of what is in the news, they are still only in preliminary design and a lot will probably change.

bmfarley
Nov 6, 2008, 2:41 AM
The San Diego line is actually going to be underground now downtown. My husband is the civil engineer working on the line. The funds will also allow for the trolley tracks to be tunneled with HSR in parts to free up most of the delays on the roads.

Also, people on here are stating SF to LA will be the first line. This isn't actually true. They aren't sure yet. This was one of the reasons for the change from Proposition1 (SF to LA line) to Proposition 1A. Proposition 1A allows for the first financially feasible line to be built. My husband says that the SD through Riverside back down to LA line will be cheaper and may actually get built first. Regardless though of what is in the news, they are still only in preliminary design and a lot will probably change.

Good stuff. That news is welcome and it's great to hear that formal effort is being made to get this rolling. It's increasingly difficult to follow HSR in local news, since they don't have any writers at all and rely almost entirely on the UP and AP (okay, that was a joke), but, any idea when this will be discussed publicly? There are several local agencies thaat would weigh in; City, MTS and SANDAG.

Also, I am familiar with the changes in the proposition. It permits use of funds to be allowed to be used on any portion of the network; depending on project readiness and that the SF to LA segement is not jeopardized. My read is that SF to LA will move forward first. I also note, although your husbands work is noteworthy, engineering and planning efforts are further along in the SF to LA section.

staplesla
Nov 6, 2008, 5:31 AM
Trust me I know, he's the project manager and I have to hear about it all the time. lol. He's up north right now doing something on the Merced line. I'll ask him next week about a timeline, etc.

ShekelPop
Nov 6, 2008, 6:01 AM
Great info on HSR! Thanks a lot Staples and everyone else. Although I didn't support the proposition, I'm anxious to find out what will happen in southern california as a result. Linking LA/OC/SD first would be tremendous for the region.

SDCAL
Nov 6, 2008, 9:53 AM
StaplesLA, thanks for the inside info

I almost voted no on 1A because of SD not being in the first phase and not even guaranteed at all in the vague wording, but it makes me feel more confident knowing there is avtual engineering plans being worked on

glad I ended up voting for it ;)

HurricaneHugo
Nov 7, 2008, 9:23 AM
its not coming to san diego...

HurricaneHugo
Nov 7, 2008, 9:26 AM
And prop B was badly described.

The description on the ballot didn't mentioned anything about a chargers stadium or other possible uses. Most people didn't know what it was about.

Either way, it won't hurt the Chargers as they didn't even endorse it and its not like it would have gotten anything done (too unrealistic).

Now, no longer having Aguirre as city attorney, helps out A LOT.