PDA

View Full Version : SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161

dl3000
Jan 19, 2010, 6:45 AM
:previous: So typical. All the hype, than a loss. And the most famed cliché to follow it "there's always next year,"

Exactly what I told people at the end of the game. The whole thing almost word for word. I definitely was nervous about this game.

HurricaneHugo
Jan 19, 2010, 8:34 AM
I couldn't even move from my seat until they kicked me out... :(

kpexpress
Jan 20, 2010, 12:48 AM
Speaking of SD stadium, to my surprise the topic is not included on tomorrow's CCAC agenda. Mostly CUP's and medijuana.

gttx
Jan 20, 2010, 7:01 PM
So here is a question for all of you San Diego skyscraper enthusiasts:

What do you think of the East Village? Is there hope for this area of downtown? If so, what do you envision going in there to help catalyze future growth?

eburress
Jan 20, 2010, 9:58 PM

What do you think of the East Village? Is there hope for this area of downtown? If so, what do you envision going in there to help catalyze future growth?

Yes. A new football stadium!!!

HurricaneHugo
Jan 21, 2010, 6:50 AM

Chargers Stadium. :D

kpexpress
Jan 21, 2010, 7:30 PM

East Village Green, Library, affordable housing, expansion of education (city college, NSAD, etc.), and families families families - this area is in need of families more so than any other place in the entire city.

kpexpress
Jan 21, 2010, 7:37 PM
Last night at the CCAC meeting, the committee voted unanimously to start the process (should take 12-18 months) to raise the cap on how much CCDC could collect in tax increment to eliminate urban blight and redevelop downtown from now til 2043. The cap sits now at around 2.8 billion, and could increase up to 7 billion according to Frank Alessi of CCDC. Many of us had concerns about what this extra money was for, although talk of a stadium did occur, the reason the committee voted unanimously was with the current money and cap in place there wouldn't be enough money to do all that is needed to see the downtown community plan come to fruition (stadium aside).

I think however that this is laying the groundwork for a backdoor deal between the mayor's office, CCDC, and the Chargers to funnel more money their way to see a stadium be built. Although I am not a huge fan (still on the fence in fact) of having a stadium built in the east village, it would take a lot of money (way more than the cap and budget has) to develop the bus depot site. Although not specified in the community plan that the bus depot should be a football stadium, in fact the plan calls for everything but a massive stadium, the bus depot will be redeveloped and moved elsewhere in the city hopefully before the end of our lifetime(s).

Fusey
Jan 22, 2010, 1:15 AM
Is there hope for this area of downtown?

Deporting the hobos at Father Joe's to their home states would be a great start.

eburress
Jan 22, 2010, 7:03 AM
Deporting the hobos at Father Joe's to their home states would be a great start.

Hobos = stranded Jets fans?

S.DviaPhilly
Jan 23, 2010, 10:06 PM
Found this on another thread. These are two retired san diegans trying to help out

LaPlayaHeritage

Smile Ballot Question for the November 2, 2010 Public Vote
Proposition – New downtown Chargers stadium and redevelopment of the City-owned Mission Valley site. January 23, 2010, by Katheryn Rhodes and Conrad Hartsell MD, rhodes@laplayaheritage.com 619-523-4350.

Ballot Question for November 2, 2010 Public Vote: Shall the People of the City of San Diego prepare land in the East Village area of downtown San Diego for a new multi-purpose Chargers NFL Stadium/Convention and Event Center and Build the Permanent Homeless Shelter using CCDC Redevelopment Funds; create a intergovernmental structure with the County of San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) to finance construction of the Regional asset; and Redevelop the City-owned 166-acre Mission Valley site into a 75-acre River Front park, a Fire Station, and housing specifically for college students, staff, and faculty; Veterans; and seniors displaced from the closing of mobile home parks?

Preparation of public land in the East Village to be financed using City of San Diego taxpayers’ CCDC Redevelopment Funds:
· Relocate the MTS Maintenance Yard to other City of San Diego vehicle facilities yards.
· Buy 2.5 acres of private land needed for the project footprint.
· Remove the contaminated soils created by the City of San Diego from under the proposed site.
· Construct the Basement Level for a new multi-purpose structure.
· Incorporate adaptive reuse of the Historically Designated Wonder Bread building into the new design and require all archaeological artifacts recovered to be properly cared for at the San Diego Archaeological Center at San Pasqual.
· Incorporate public restrooms and drinking fountains accessible from the street for public use.
· Resolve the Homeless problem in downtown San Diego, by in part, building the Permanent Homeless Shelter before a stadium is occupied.

Create a Intergovernmental structure with the County of San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) to finance the public’s cost of building the Stadium/Convention and Event Center structure, in cooperation with the Chargers organization and the NFL.
· Chargers have pledge $200 million and the NFL has pledge $100 million for construction of a new NFL Stadium.
· The balance of construction costs for the new building would come from the County of San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) who have access to State and Federal Stimulus Fund for regional assets.

Redevelop the City-owned 166-acre Mission Valley site.
· Create a Redevelopment Project Area.
· Create a 75-acre public park along the San Diego River and build a new Mission Valley Fire Station on the 82-acres of City of San Diego Water Department owned land.
· Sell a portion of the 84 acres of developable land to San Diego State University (SDSU) for student, staff, and faculty housing with proceeds from the sale of the public land used to finance the 75-acre public park, fire station, and affordable housing for seniors and Veterans.
· Set aside a portion of the 84 acres of developable land for the creation of Veterans Housing for returning Veterans, disabled Veterans, and Veterans attending college on the GI Bill.
· Construct very low affordable housing for seniors displaced by the closing of mobile home parks on a portion of the 84 acres of developable land.

New revenue streams for the City of San Diego taxpayers would be created by the Redevelopment of publically owned City of San Diego land including:
· The 166-acre Mission Valley Site with a 75-acre park, a new Fire Station, and housing.
· The 67-acre Sports Arena property in the Midway area for mixed-use and affordable housing when the lease expires in 2017.
· A new planned hotel on the 76-acre site of the De Anza Mobile Home Park in Mission Bay.

HurricaneHugo
Jan 24, 2010, 12:07 AM
But What About The Walkability Of The Neighborhood???!!!

Poor Bums Are Going To Have To Walk All Around The Stadium Cuz They Could Just Cut Through The Mts Yard!

Derek
Jan 24, 2010, 4:22 AM
All talk, no action. ;)

kpexpress
Jan 24, 2010, 7:36 AM
why don't they build the homeless shelter in the mixed use redeveloped area in Mission Valley?

Fusey
Jan 24, 2010, 4:23 PM
^ Donna Frye would complain about the height. :haha:

Fusey
Jan 24, 2010, 7:57 PM
All right, looks like something is actually getting built downtown despite the recession. Too bad it's the new cruise ship terminal, which, if I recall correctly, received negative comments from most of the regulars in this thread.

From the Union-Tribune:

http://media.signonsandiego.com/img/photos/2010/01/23/biz2_t600.jpg?42b0fb247f69dabe2ae440581a34634cbc5420f3
http://www.signonsandiego.com/photos/2010/jan/23/102449/

bmfarley
Jan 24, 2010, 8:45 PM
Found this on another thread. These are two retired san diegans trying to help out

LaPlayaHeritage

Smile Ballot Question for the November 2, 2010 Public Vote
Proposition – New downtown Chargers stadium and redevelopment of the City-owned Mission Valley site. January 23, 2010, by Katheryn Rhodes and Conrad Hartsell MD, rhodes@laplayaheritage.com 619-523-4350.

Ballot Question for November 2, 2010 Public Vote: Shall the People of the City of San Diego prepare land in the East Village area of downtown San Diego for a new multi-purpose Chargers NFL Stadium/Convention and Event Center and Build the Permanent Homeless Shelter using CCDC Redevelopment Funds; create a intergovernmental structure with the County of San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) to finance construction of the Regional asset; and Redevelop the City-owned 166-acre Mission Valley site into a 75-acre River Front park, a Fire Station, and housing specifically for college students, staff, and faculty; Veterans; and seniors displaced from the closing of mobile home parks?

Preparation of public land in the East Village to be financed using City of San Diego taxpayers’ CCDC Redevelopment Funds:
· Relocate the MTS Maintenance Yard to other City of San Diego vehicle facilities yards.
· Buy 2.5 acres of private land needed for the project footprint.
· Remove the contaminated soils created by the City of San Diego from under the proposed site.
· Construct the Basement Level for a new multi-purpose structure.
· Incorporate adaptive reuse of the Historically Designated Wonder Bread building into the new design and require all archaeological artifacts recovered to be properly cared for at the San Diego Archaeological Center at San Pasqual.
· Incorporate public restrooms and drinking fountains accessible from the street for public use.
· Resolve the Homeless problem in downtown San Diego, by in part, building the Permanent Homeless Shelter before a stadium is occupied.

Create a Intergovernmental structure with the County of San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) to finance the public’s cost of building the Stadium/Convention and Event Center structure, in cooperation with the Chargers organization and the NFL.
· Chargers have pledge $200 million and the NFL has pledge $100 million for construction of a new NFL Stadium.
· The balance of construction costs for the new building would come from the County of San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) who have access to State and Federal Stimulus Fund for regional assets.

Redevelop the City-owned 166-acre Mission Valley site.
· Create a Redevelopment Project Area.
· Create a 75-acre public park along the San Diego River and build a new Mission Valley Fire Station on the 82-acres of City of San Diego Water Department owned land.
· Sell a portion of the 84 acres of developable land to San Diego State University (SDSU) for student, staff, and faculty housing with proceeds from the sale of the public land used to finance the 75-acre public park, fire station, and affordable housing for seniors and Veterans.
· Set aside a portion of the 84 acres of developable land for the creation of Veterans Housing for returning Veterans, disabled Veterans, and Veterans attending college on the GI Bill.
· Construct very low affordable housing for seniors displaced by the closing of mobile home parks on a portion of the 84 acres of developable land.

New revenue streams for the City of San Diego taxpayers would be created by the Redevelopment of publically owned City of San Diego land including:
· The 166-acre Mission Valley Site with a 75-acre park, a new Fire Station, and housing.
· The 67-acre Sports Arena property in the Midway area for mixed-use and affordable housing when the lease expires in 2017.
· A new planned hotel on the 76-acre site of the De Anza Mobile Home Park in Mission Bay.

That is interesting; however, I note a few things....
1) Multiple items are included in this single ballot measure? Stadium, low-income housing, public bathrooms, homeless housing/shelter, Mission Valley site re-use.... where does it end? Seems like too much on one ballot... I encourage splitting them up.

2) Regardless of a ballot measure outcome, cooperation is needed from the transit agency - they are essentially a state agency and and have their own mission.

Derek
Jan 24, 2010, 11:56 PM
Why must they feel the need to send things to the ballot? Just fucking do shit and get it done!! :)

HurricaneHugo
Jan 27, 2010, 5:25 AM
CCDC Board Meeting, tomorrow Wednesday, January 27, 2010 at 9:00 am, 401 B Street, Suite 400, downtown San Diego.

http://www.ccdc.com/events/resources/Agenda30.pdf

Agenda Item 12. Evolution Media Capital, LLC. Informational Item regarding the financial feasibility of reusing the MTS site for a stadium

eburress
Jan 27, 2010, 6:07 PM
Why must they feel the need to send things to the ballot? Just fucking do shit and get it done!! :)

I completely agree. No good can come from asking San Diegans what they think. If ANYTHING is ever going to get done in this town, it will be in spite of its residents' opinions.

kpexpress
Jan 27, 2010, 7:18 PM
@dillonliam is providing amazing live updates via twitter on the stadium talks in CCDC right now

Fusey
Jan 28, 2010, 1:32 AM
If the downtown stadium ends up on the ballot stadium proponents better use this shot in the campaign ads:

http://media.signonsandiego.com/img/photos/2010/01/17/kc_jets303354x037__t290.jpg?

OneMetropolis
Jan 28, 2010, 4:35 AM
I support this stadium. I wonder if it really will come to fruition!:notacrook:

And yes SD forumers I've turned over a new leaf I am no longer the SD bashing troll you know me by so please do forgive me.

staplesla
Jan 28, 2010, 5:56 PM
The cost of building stadiums for professional sports franchises has increased beyond the ability for owners or even public entities to pay for them alone, a consultant hired by the Centre City Development Corp. said Wednesday.

Stadium price tags skyrocketed beginning around 2002, leading to the $1.2 billion stadium opened during the current NFL season for the Dallas Cowboys, said Mitchell Ziets, who made a presentation to the CCDC board of directors.

Ziets provided background information that CCDC officials hope will help them negotiate a financial package for the Chargers to build a stadium in downtown San Diego.

"We're a long way from any kind of football stadium yet," CCDC Chairman Fred Maas said.

All 11 NFL stadiums built or renovated since 2002 were funded by a mix of public and private financing, with multiple jurisdictions often being involved, said Ziets, of Evolution Media Capital in New York City.

Ford Field, the stadium for the Detroit Lions, was built with the participation of the city and county, according to Ziets. Lucas Oil Stadium was built for the Indianapolis Colts with the help of several counties, and other stadiums received financing from state governments, he said.

The Chargers said for several years they wanted to privately finance a new home. But when the site at the edge of East Village became the last viable alternative, they conceded that public financing would be required.

The trend, however, is for NFL owners to shoulder a greater share of the financial burden, Ziets said.

"Teams are willing to put more (money) in," he said. "Are they willing to fund it themselves? No."

He said teams in the biggest markets were willing to put in more money for stadium construction. San Diego is traditionally considered a small sports market, but since Los Angeles doesn't have a professional football team, the definition of the local market is less precise.

* Ziets' report did include several nuggets for those who support the downtown stadium idea:
* Since the early 1990s, 27 of 38 stadium referendums in all professional sports were passed by voters. Of the 11 that failed, 10 were eventually built after passing a later vote, gaining legislative approval or obtaining private financing
* Around the new millenium, a stadium being a catalyst for nearby development was just an idea, but now it's reality, with recent examples being the Padres' Petco Park and Staples Center in Los Angeles
* The Florida Marlins of Major League Baseball managed to attract financing for a new stadium despite a small fan base and poor economic conditions similar to those of California
Lenders who have not been involved in stadium financing in the past are more interested now

Maas said Ziets will return in two to three months with a report that's more precise about the situation in San Diego, and he hopes the Chargers will have completed a financial feasibility plan by then regarding the East Village site.

http://www.10news.com/news/22358446/detail.html

IconRPCV
Jan 28, 2010, 9:07 PM
I support this stadium. I wonder if it really will come to fruition!:notacrook:

And yes SD forumers I've turned over a new leaf I am no longer the SD bashing troll you know me by so please do forgive me.

Ahh that puts my heart at ease, Now that you support it it is sure to get built.

KevinFromTexas
Jan 30, 2010, 12:40 AM
This thread is about San Diego. So leave politics and Obama out of it. If you want to talk politics, this isn't the thread for it. Last warning.

Derek
Jan 30, 2010, 6:40 AM
Damn it. I missed something. Does anybody want to send me a PM and fill me in? :)

eburress
Jan 30, 2010, 6:59 AM
Damn it. I missed something. Does anybody want to send me a PM and fill me in? :)

I'm guessing it was troll-related. ;)

dl3000
Jan 30, 2010, 6:26 PM
O good that was resolved. Anyway, I was checking out some stuff related to the trolley and it got me thinking, whatever happened to the mid coast study to La Jolla? Is that shelved or still in the works or what? Also, along Morena, that would be 6 tracks going down there if HSR and Trolley get built. Is there room for that?

tdavis
Jan 31, 2010, 2:22 AM
O good that was resolved. Anyway, I was checking out some stuff related to the trolley and it got me thinking, whatever happened to the mid coast study to La Jolla? Is that shelved or still in the works or what? Also, along Morena, that would be 6 tracks going down there if HSR and Trolley get built. Is there room for that?

Council member Sherri Lightner is pushing for the HSR to now go down the I-15 to Mission Valley (bypass UTC, SD Airport, downtown). The Mid-Coast extension is scheduled to use the same right-of-way and the HSR/San Diego Trolley were going to combine the development into one to save money, but now because of the latest push to move HSR the trolley extension has stalled.

Here is more information on the MidCoast Trolley extension: http://www.sandag.org/index.asp?projectid=250&fuseaction=projects.detail

HurricaneHugo
Jan 31, 2010, 4:19 AM
stupid

Derek
Jan 31, 2010, 8:15 AM
Stalled projects?! My favorite. :)

Fusey
Jan 31, 2010, 5:33 PM
^ Sounds similar to what I'm working on in Honolulu right now. The rail line across the southern stretch of Oahu was supposed to be elevated. Now the state practically wants to start over and build the entire thing on ground-level.

SDfan
Feb 1, 2010, 6:26 AM
Someone needs to tell Sheri Lightner to shut up!

What is with this city?!

dl3000
Feb 1, 2010, 5:02 PM
Council member Sherri Lightner is pushing for the HSR to now go down the I-15 to Mission Valley (bypass UTC, SD Airport, downtown). The Mid-Coast extension is scheduled to use the same right-of-way and the HSR/San Diego Trolley were going to combine the development into one to save money, but now because of the latest push to move HSR the trolley extension has stalled.

Here is more information on the MidCoast Trolley extension: http://www.sandag.org/index.asp?projectid=250&fuseaction=projects.detail

Thanks for the info. I had no idea they were taking that relocation of the HSR proposal so seriously.

staplesla
Feb 1, 2010, 11:28 PM
dl3000 - An organization has now been formed to "save the Rose Canyon from rail." This Rose Canyon is the current preferred alignment for the HSR and Mid-Coast Trolley extension. Currently the Amtrack runs through there.

This organized group of individuals (http://www.saverosecreek.org/2009/08/high-speed-rail-project.html) have been working with Sherri Lightner and the CA HSR to move the line to continue down I-15 and stop in Mission Valley. From what I understand those in opposition to the current proposed line through UTC, down the I-5, by Old Town, the airport, then downtown SD have raised such a fuss that HSR is seriously considering moving the project. And I've been told the HSR will announce the final preferred route this month.

tdavis
Feb 1, 2010, 11:32 PM
The CA HSR set up a special mailbox because of the large amount of complaints they were getting about the Rose Canyon.

Anyone interested in voicing their concerns or stating your support for keeping the preferred route the same can email: rosecanyon@san.rr.com and
comments@hsr.ca.gov

HurricaneHugo
Feb 1, 2010, 11:52 PM
what the heck....screw Rose Canyon

build the Regents Bridge as well

dl3000
Feb 2, 2010, 4:22 PM
Only reason I can think of is that Rose Canyon is along one of the more prominent faults in the region, but I doubt that has anything to do with it. Thanks for the info.

staplesla
Feb 2, 2010, 6:13 PM
Only reason I can think of is that Rose Canyon is along one of the more prominent faults in the region, but I doubt that has anything to do with it. Thanks for the info.

Their rationale is all environmental. Though I understand the need to protect the environment, it's not as if we'd be building rail lines where there aren't already any. Freight and Amtrack already travel through here.

SDDTProspector
Feb 2, 2010, 6:42 PM
Turner construction has got the contract to build the downtown library, they currently looking for partners to sub-contrator now.... My buddy's company has just just received the offer today to bid.....

Expect to hear more news soon!!!

Derek
Feb 2, 2010, 6:45 PM
Hopefully we hear more good news like that. I've always loved the new library. :)

HurricaneHugo
Feb 3, 2010, 6:07 AM
Turner construction has got the contract to build the downtown library, they currently looking for partners to sub-contrator now.... My buddy's company has just just received the offer today to bid.....

Nice!

eburress
Feb 3, 2010, 5:35 PM
Wow - that would be big news if something were to happen there! Maybe they'll eventually revive Library Tower as well! hahaha

Derek
Feb 4, 2010, 3:34 AM
Wow - that would be big news if something were to happen there! Maybe they'll eventually revive Library Tower as well! hahaha

I'll believe it when I see it... :P

SDCAL
Feb 4, 2010, 5:53 AM
That is truly fantastic news!! (the library).

tdavis
Feb 4, 2010, 7:14 AM
FYI - Thursday morning (02/04) California High-speed rail is holding a public hearing for anyone wishing to speak out regarding on the proposed rail lines.

Save Rose Canyon is going to be present to press for the change to I-15 (no longer through UTC, airport, downtown).

I'll be there to ask CA HSR to keep the preferred route as it is.

SANDAG
401 B Street (downtown)
9 AM

kpexpress
Feb 4, 2010, 8:50 AM
Budget and Finance subcommittee meeting tomorrow night. We're going to prioritize the projects to make sure the most important (debatable) gets funded first and foremost. Should be interesting. Here's a preview of the list: (in no particular order)

Neighborhood Issues:
Utility Box Removal from sidewalks
Neighborhood Design Guidelines
214 signalized intersections
128 Mid Block street lights
866 ADA ramps and sidewalks
416 corner trash receptacles in neighborhood centers
48 bike racks in neighborhood centers
master bike plan and bike racks

Park Issues:
north embarcadero visionary plan
park maintenance program
park procurement
park construction
green bridge (wide sidewalks) at park blvd for peds and bikes
plant 10,000 trees by 2030

Transportation and Transit issues:
C street realignment and improvements
way finding sign construction
way finding maintenance plan
MTS coordination
MTS capital improvements (stations, circulation, etc.)
I-5 corridor study
freeway lids over I-5 North side
elimination of off ramp/reopening of cedar to two way traffic and peds
Freeway lids over I-5 East Side
Relocate Bus yard and reopen 15 street
open B street to peds and trans
Parking, remote/offsite/shared

Plans/Programs and Stand Alone Studies
Airport overlay development guidelines
School development plan
community facilities plan
health facilities plan
public art plan
business of health/human services facilities outside of downtown
guidelines for "gateway" entrances to downtown

Housing Issues:
procurement rental housing sites
supportive housing
housing for 150%-250% AMI

Capital Projects: (rate each item 1 to 5, 1 being the highest)
New main library
north embarcadero visionary plan
quiet zone
c street realignment
2 new fire stations

Possible New Capital Projects:
North embarcadero visionary plan (phases 2-5)
Convention center expansion
New downtown football stadium

Projects with downtown impacts:
New cruise ship terminal
airport expansion
new civic center

Feel free to share your thoughts on what should be a priority in your opinion.

ShekelPop
Feb 4, 2010, 7:11 PM
Some news out of chula vista from yesterday's UT:

CHULA VISTA — After nearly eight years of planning, negotiating and waiting, the Pacifica Cos. received a key approval yesterday from the San Diego Unified Port District to move ahead with a land swap needed for a hotel and residential development on Chula Vista’s beleaguered bayfront.

The Port District’s board of commissioners voted 5-1 in support of allowing the company to swap 97 acres it owns on the northern end of the bayfront near the Chula Vista Nature Center for the Port District’s 35 acres just east of the marina.

Pacifica plans to build a 250-room hotel and a 1,500-unit condominium project on the site. (Port OKs swap to allow bayfront hotel and condos, By Tanya Sierra, http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/feb/03/port-oks-swap-to-allow-bayfront-hotel-and-condos/ )

HurricaneHugo
Feb 4, 2010, 9:21 PM
That land they currently own would be nice for a stadium (if downtown falls through).

dl3000
Feb 4, 2010, 11:24 PM
They would get more value out of something else other than though. That said, a stadium would definitely be a draw for the local businesses.

tdavis
Feb 5, 2010, 6:37 AM
Budget and Finance subcommittee meeting tomorrow night. We're going to prioritize the projects to make sure the most important (debatable) gets funded first and foremost. Should be interesting. Here's a preview of the list: (in no particular order)

Feel free to share your thoughts on what should be a priority in your opinion.

There are many great projects, but considering our finances we obviously can't touch them all at once.

My personal viewpoint is that we need to work on programs that embrace the waterfront (i.e. Embarcadero Project). These would attract residents to downtown, businesses to San Diego, would bring in additional revenue to the city through waterfront civic events, and would serve as a catalyst for development in the area.

S.DviaPhilly
Feb 5, 2010, 9:47 PM
There are many great projects, but considering our finances we obviously can't touch them all at once.

My personal viewpoint is that we need to work on programs that embrace the waterfront (i.e. Embarcadero Project). These would attract residents to downtown, businesses to San Diego, would bring in additional revenue to the city through waterfront civic events, and would serve as a catalyst for development in the area.

I completely agree with that statement, the water front is crucial for future development downtown. S.D should focus on what they have, that you cannot get from other cities around the world.

With that being said everything stated above about the waterfront being developed, I strongly agree the chargers stadium would do the same exact thing to East Village area. Have people move downtown, bring development, bring businesses, and bring a shit ton of revenue to the city of S.D

SDfan
Feb 5, 2010, 10:45 PM
"Airport overlay development guidelines"

I'm curious about this listed item? What does it entail?

staplesla
Feb 5, 2010, 11:36 PM
I agree totally with tdavs and SDviaPhilly. San Diego as "America's Finest City" sucks when it comes to embracing it's finest attribute.

bmfarley
Feb 6, 2010, 8:03 PM
FYI - Thursday morning (02/04) California High-speed rail is holding a public hearing for anyone wishing to speak out regarding on the proposed rail lines.

Save Rose Canyon is going to be present to press for the change to I-15 (no longer through UTC, airport, downtown).

I'll be there to ask CA HSR to keep the preferred route as it is.

SANDAG
401 B Street (downtown)
9 AMHow did the meeting go? I know it was a public meeting; however, was it a formal public hearing intended to recieve comments on the alignment options?

SDDTProspector
Feb 6, 2010, 10:35 PM

Had a second conversation with my friend and he stated that if all goes well, ground breaking for the D-town library could start in October!!! :cheers:

We shall see!!

tdavis
Feb 7, 2010, 4:26 AM
How did the meeting go? I know it was a public meeting; however, was it a formal public hearing intended to recieve comments on the alignment options?

It was a formal public hearing to receive comments. There were many people speaking out on moving the line to the 15. I spoke out to keep the current preferred route the same.

kpexpress
Feb 7, 2010, 11:14 AM

Coastal Commission will determine if a building permit can be granted to start construction on Phase 1 of The North Embarcadero Visionary Plan on 2/11 in Oceanside. This project looks so nice and would be a start in the right direction to embracing the waterfront.

Derek
Feb 7, 2010, 4:39 PM
The only "start" that I can "envision" towards a better water front is to get rid of the Navy buildings. What the hell happened to the NBC?????????

nature's calling
Feb 7, 2010, 6:45 PM
The cost of building stadiums for professional sports franchises has increased beyond the ability for owners or even public entities to pay for them alone, a consultant hired by the Centre City Development Corp. said Wednesday.

Stadium price tags skyrocketed beginning around 2002, leading to the $1.2 billion stadium opened during the current NFL season for the Dallas Cowboys, said Mitchell Ziets, who made a presentation to the CCDC board of directors.

Ziets provided background information that CCDC officials hope will help them negotiate a financial package for the Chargers to build a stadium in downtown San Diego.

"We're a long way from any kind of football stadium yet," CCDC Chairman Fred Maas said.

All 11 NFL stadiums built or renovated since 2002 were funded by a mix of public and private financing, with multiple jurisdictions often being involved, said Ziets, of Evolution Media Capital in New York City.

Ford Field, the stadium for the Detroit Lions, was built with the participation of the city and county, according to Ziets. Lucas Oil Stadium was built for the Indianapolis Colts with the help of several counties, and other stadiums received financing from state governments, he said.

The Chargers said for several years they wanted to privately finance a new home. But when the site at the edge of East Village became the last viable alternative, they conceded that public financing would be required.

The trend, however, is for NFL owners to shoulder a greater share of the financial burden, Ziets said.

"Teams are willing to put more (money) in," he said. "Are they willing to fund it themselves? No."

He said teams in the biggest markets were willing to put in more money for stadium construction. San Diego is traditionally considered a small sports market, but since Los Angeles doesn't have a professional football team, the definition of the local market is less precise.

* Ziets' report did include several nuggets for those who support the downtown stadium idea:
* Since the early 1990s, 27 of 38 stadium referendums in all professional sports were passed by voters. Of the 11 that failed, 10 were eventually built after passing a later vote, gaining legislative approval or obtaining private financing
* Around the new millenium, a stadium being a catalyst for nearby development was just an idea, but now it's reality, with recent examples being the Padres' Petco Park and Staples Center in Los Angeles
* The Florida Marlins of Major League Baseball managed to attract financing for a new stadium despite a small fan base and poor economic conditions similar to those of California
Lenders who have not been involved in stadium financing in the past are more interested now

Maas said Ziets will return in two to three months with a report that's more precise about the situation in San Diego, and he hopes the Chargers will have completed a financial feasibility plan by then regarding the East Village site.

http://www.10news.com/news/22358446/detail.html

San Diego could use a new stadium.

CoastersBolts
Feb 7, 2010, 7:07 PM
Isn't 880 West Broadway supposed to open next year? Seems that due to construction progress at that site (or clearly lack there of), that's not going to happen. I'm assuming this project is yet another that has become a victim of the Great Recession.

tdavis
Feb 7, 2010, 10:41 PM
Isn't 880 West Broadway supposed to open next year? Seems that due to construction progress at that site (or clearly lack there of), that's not going to happen. I'm assuming this project is yet another that has become a victim of the Great Recession.

The Irvine Company put this on hold in late 2008.

bmfarley
Feb 8, 2010, 3:28 AM
The Irvine Company put this on hold in late 2008.I wonder if the plan to bring HSR to Santa fe Depot played a role... as that project provides additional opportunities for the site.

IconRPCV
Feb 8, 2010, 6:27 PM
Hey, you know that big party yesterday called the Super Bowl? Well if we get off out arrses and build a new stadium downtown we will will have that big party downtown regularly. In addition that undesirable sense of pride, love and loyalty that all New Orleaneans are feeling with each other and towards their city will one day be ours as the Chargers will eventually win it all, but they need a new home first to do this.

Mariobrotha
Feb 10, 2010, 6:52 AM
I don't know if it's been touched on straightforward-like here or not, but is the terminal being built on the Broadway pier just a temp while the one on B Street is rebuilt? The articles I've found seem to point in that direction, others at the fact that there may ultimately be two terminals operating side-by-side.

Anyway, I thought the Broadway pier was supposed to be a park...

tdavis
Feb 10, 2010, 6:56 PM
I don't know if it's been touched on straightforward-like here or not, but is the terminal being built on the Broadway pier just a temp while the one on B Street is rebuilt? The articles I've found seem to point in that direction, others at the fact that there may ultimately be two terminals operating side-by-side.

Anyway, I thought the Broadway pier was supposed to be a park...

It's permanent. It was originally supposed to be temporary, but state regulations required they build a permanent one.

Urban Sky
Feb 10, 2010, 7:16 PM
The only "start" that I can "envision" towards a better water front is to get rid of the Navy buildings. What the hell happened to the NBC?????????

2nd that. tear em down

SDDTProspector
Feb 10, 2010, 7:58 PM
Have not seen this video of the NEVP before, looks like there are showing lane field now part of the NEVP first development cycle.... Who knows?... It still doesn't make sense to have the cruize ship terminal dump right in the middle of NEVP...

I really don't think the port of san diego is working in the best interests of the residents of San Diego....

anyways, they had a meeting today with calf coastal commission the hear the appeal to start the 1st phase...

http://www.portofsandiego.org/north-embarcadero/1943-north-embarcadero-visionary-plan-to-be-heard-at-california-coastal-commission-meeting.html

"The California Coastal Commission will consider an appeal to the Port of San Diego's coastal development permit for the first phase of the North Embarcadero Visionary Plan at a meeting tomorrow.

The meeting will be held at 9 a.m. at the Oceanside City Council Chambers, 300 North Coast Highway, Oceanside, CA."

Additional picture of the proposed phase:
http://www.portofsandiego.org/images/stories/Real-Estate/devprojects/nevp/news/new_nevp/NEVP_Phase_1_with_city_rendering_July_2009.jpg

and

http://www.portofsandiego.org/images/stories/Real-Estate/devprojects/nevp/news/new_nevp/NEVP_promenade_072009.jpg

and

http://www.portofsandiego.org/images/stories/Real-Estate/devprojects/nevp/news/new_nevp/NEVP_Broadway_072009.jpg

mongoXZ
Feb 11, 2010, 4:42 AM
I recently stumbled upon this vid about NEVP on youtube. It must be pretty old because it said it would be completed by 2010.
dHlIwQ56UQk

Derek
Feb 11, 2010, 7:17 AM
Have not seen this video of the NEB before, looks like there are showing lane field now part of the NEB first development cycle.... Who knows?... It still doesn't make sense to have the cruize ship terminal dump right in the middle of NEB...

I really don't think the port of san diego is working in the best interests of the residents of San Diego....

Additional picture of the proposed phase:
http://www.portofsandiego.org/images/stories/Real-Estate/devprojects/nevp/news/new_nevp/NEVP_Phase_1_with_city_rendering_July_2009.jpg

and

http://www.portofsandiego.org/images/stories/Real-Estate/devprojects/nevp/news/new_nevp/NEVP_promenade_072009.jpg

and

http://www.portofsandiego.org/images/stories/Real-Estate/devprojects/nevp/news/new_nevp/NEVP_Broadway_072009.jpg

Like that'll ever happen...

SDDTProspector
Feb 11, 2010, 8:00 AM
Looks like the previous post of the NEVP revisions is dead already!!!

The California Coastal Commission had killed the attempt of the Port of San Diego to add a variance to the previously approved NEVP.....

http://documents.coastal.ca.gov/reports/2010/2/Th24b-2-2010.pdf

"SUMMARY OF STAFF RECOMMENDATION:
Staff recommends the Commission deny the de novo permit. The primary issues raised by the subject development are the project’s inconsistencies with the requirements of the certified Port Master Plan (PMP) that expansive public access and recreation amenities be developed along North Harbor Drive, particularly at the foot of Broadway. The proposedproject involves public access improvements, but the nature and usefulness of the proposed improvements are both substantially different and not equivalent to those called for in the certified PMP.
The North Embarcadero Visionary Plan PMP Amendment was approved in 2001 and outlines a program of public access improvement along Harbor Drive including developing a wide esplanade alongside the shoreline, landscaping and streetscaping improvements, passive green spaces, and narrowing and curving Harbor Drive to accommodate a major park or plaza at the foot of Broadway.
The proposed project eliminates both the curve in Harbor Drive and the oval-shaped park/plaza next to the Broadway Pier. Instead, Broadway would terminate at a rectangular plaza/pier entrance, with the esplanade continuing on both sides. The plaza will also function as a driveway to the recently approved auxiliary cruise ship terminal. In addition to the park/plaza and road revisions that are inconsistent with the PMP, the proposed project involves construction of a promenade that is significantly different."

Another document showing notes from the meeting (form for disclosure):
http://documents.coastal.ca.gov/reports/2010/2/Th24b-2-2010.pdf

I dont trust the San Diego Port authortity at all, they are in it for the fast buck and dont give a crap about the residents!!!:hell:

Here is a comparison of the orginal Park versus the parking lot the Port authority is proposing........

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs236.snc3/22380_330575904049_758079049_4842072_4892347_n.jpg

and

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs236.snc3/22380_330575919049_758079049_4842073_3985887_n.jpg

Compared to the truck ramp the Port authority is proposing:

kpexpress
Feb 11, 2010, 8:38 AM
To my understanding the Coastal Commission was going to award permits tomorrow in Oceanside. No?

Derek
Feb 11, 2010, 3:15 PM
F*** the Coastal Commission.

bmfarley
Feb 12, 2010, 3:43 AM
You know... the NBC site looks like it could be a decent location for High Speed Rail to terminal... I am thinking of an alignment approaching as a tunnel underneath Pacific Highway and terminating underground at NBC... the development could still occur above... with some modifications. See teh SF Transbay Terminal for a similar design.

Assuming the Navy would still be okay with this idea... big assumption too.

kpexpress
Feb 12, 2010, 8:34 AM
http://www.cbs8.com/Global/story.asp?S=11971756

read the comments. reading these makes me so depressed. are people really this stupid and closed minded?

Fusey
Feb 12, 2010, 8:46 AM
^ Newspaper and local news forums always have the worst trolls. I thought they'd be a problem yesterday at a rail discussion here in Honolulu, but hardly any of them showed up.

kpexpress
Feb 12, 2010, 8:50 AM
http://voiceofsandiego.org/opinion/article_a222a462-15cf-11df-9273-001cc4c002e0.html

Derek
Feb 12, 2010, 4:14 PM
http://voiceofsandiego.org/opinion/article_a222a462-15cf-11df-9273-001cc4c002e0.html

He must be a Raiders fan.

Derek
Feb 12, 2010, 4:17 PM
http://www.cbs8.com/Global/story.asp?S=11971756

read the comments. reading these makes me so depressed. are people really this stupid and closed minded?

Yes, people really are that stupid.

keg92101
Feb 12, 2010, 4:50 PM

I actually agree with the author. The stadium should come from a property tax, general obligation bond

Urban Sky
Feb 12, 2010, 8:11 PM
:haha: He must be a Raiders fan.

staplesla
Feb 13, 2010, 6:11 PM
Guys can you take future comments to another to private messaging?

My 14-year-old views this site with me as he's very interested in commercial development. I want to encourage his interest, but will have to ban him from this site should these defamatory public outbursts continue.

Crackertastik
Feb 13, 2010, 9:38 PM
I kept it as civil as possible. :)

Im not much for the internet fighting, especially based on opinions. And we all know the saying regarding that one.

but I'll add this:

Nobody lives, or visits or spends endless articles speaking of the wonderful places in Rome or New York or Barcelona, Sydney, etc. to infinity for their potholeless roads.

Nice roads and the LITTLE things that make good cities great are secondary. Making a city a good city and even in the conversation is about money making, people drawing development. That means sports teams, waterfronts, civic projects, iconic government structures, parks, etc.

Voice of reason is not out of bounds by wanting our good city to be great. We definitely need our roads to be better. But more imperative, is to continue to redo, add the things that make a sleepy town a good world renowned city. And that is big development, even when we struggle financially to find ways to get them done.

NYC2ATX
Feb 13, 2010, 10:46 PM
All I want is for the fucking roads to get fixed, so when I ride by bike I dont fall in. I dont give a damn about your pet projects and only your lonesome friends here think you are smart. Go find a girl friend, or a boyfriend in your case. I would say join the Marines, but you are too woosey, that might make a man out of you.

You know, real men don't need to insult others' manhood on the internet. And I live on Staten Island, NY, the epicenter of road problems, and let me tell you, the BP here concerns himself with everything, from the potholes and roads that need widening to the redevelopment of the Stapleton Home Port to ensuring the success of the recently instituted S.I. Film Festival.

No one piece of urban improvement is what makes a city, it takes a little bit of everything, all the right improvements in the right places to make a great urban environment. For example, here, we need the Home Port and more senior housing and new transit lines desperately (yes, the pet projects), just as much as we need the pothole at the end of my block filled. I've fallen off my bike from those time and time again, so I know how you feel. And one more thing, my boyfriend agrees with me on all of this. ;)

staplesla
Feb 15, 2010, 12:07 AM
Are you guys aware that you can fill out the requests online for the city to repair the potholes? I've used the tool roughly 10 times, and each time the potholes are repaired in about 1-2 weeks.

Here is the link: http://apps.sandiego.gov/streetdiv/sreq.jsp

kpexpress
Feb 16, 2010, 9:13 AM
Are you guys aware that you can fill out the requests online for the city to repair the potholes? I've used the tool roughly 10 times, and each time the potholes are repaired in about 1-2 weeks.

Here is the link: http://apps.sandiego.gov/streetdiv/sreq.jsp

tweet Kevin Falconer or facebook him. I sent him a few messages about some street lights that are out that make my block so dark; it took a few weeks, but they got replaced.

tdavis
Feb 16, 2010, 8:52 PM
kpexpress - just use the online tool. Messaging Kevin just takes time out of his day when he should be focusing on other stuff. All Kevin does it get your message, then go to the same tool and fill out the information.

kpexpress
Feb 16, 2010, 11:46 PM
kpexpress - just use the online tool. Messaging Kevin just takes time out of his day when he should be focusing on other stuff. All Kevin does it get your message, then go to the same tool and fill out the information.

Yeah I messaged Kevin only after submitting three online requests.

tdavis
Feb 18, 2010, 1:21 AM
There have been so many delays with the North Embcaradero Project, anyone know when this will start, and what permits/approvals are left outstanding?

Derek
Feb 18, 2010, 2:48 AM
Probably never. :P

:D

How long has that plan been around??

tdavis
Feb 18, 2010, 5:00 AM
Probably never. :P

:D

How long has that plan been around??

Well I know it was just awaiting final approval and to begin sometime this Spring, just can't remember or find which department is the holdout.

staplesla
Feb 18, 2010, 5:07 AM
02/17/10 Email Update for Los Angeles to San Diego CA HSR via the Inland Empire Section: Draft Scoping Report Now Available

Last fall, the California High-Speed Rail Authority initiated the scoping process for this 167-mile section, which is an early step in the environmental review process to help us identify aspects of the project that are particularly important to local planners, residents and local governments. A total of 12 local community public scoping meetings and two local resource agency scoping meetings were held in Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Riverside and San Diego counties to seek input.

The result of this effort, called the Draft Scoping Report, is now available at www.cahighspeedrail.ca.gov (http://www.cahighspeedrail.ca.gov) under the "Library" tab, then select "Los Angeles to San Diego Section." The Draft Scoping Report and related appendices (including scoping comments and letters) are under the "Scoping" section. Or you can simply click on the following link: www.cahighspeedrail.ca.gov/images/chsr/20100126202937_Draft%20LA-SD_ScopingReport.pdf (http://www.cahighspeedrail.ca.gov/images/chsr/20100126202937_Draft%20LA-SD_ScopingReport.pdf)

The Draft Scoping Report for the Los Angeles to San Diego via the Inland Empire Section summarizes the public scoping process and comments received during the public scoping period, as well as provides a brief description of the project and outreach activities during this period.

The Draft Scoping Report is provided for your information and will be considered "final" assuming no significant revisions are requested. The public and agency comments received are an important component of our work. Along with the preliminary engineering and environmental analysis currently underway, they will help the Authority evaluate alignments and other considerations, which is a necessary step for determining the final options that will be carried forward for full environmental review.

There will be many more opportunities for public input in the coming weeks and months and we appreciate your continued interest in California's high-speed train project.

tdavis
Feb 18, 2010, 5:06 PM
02/17/10 Email Update for Los Angeles to San Diego CA HSR via the Inland Empire Section: Draft Scoping Report Now Available

Based off of all of the comments in this report from local residents (Friends of Rose Canyon), Councilwomen Sherri Lightner and Donna Frye, and various SD development groups, the line from I-15 through UTC (with a stop) to the I-5 south to downtown seems pretty much doomed.

Derek
Feb 18, 2010, 6:05 PM
:(

bmfarley
Feb 19, 2010, 4:25 AM
Based off of all of the comments in this report from local residents (Friends of Rose Canyon), Councilwomen Sherri Lightner and Donna Frye, and various SD development groups, the line from I-15 through UTC (with a stop) to the I-5 south to downtown seems pretty much doomed.Nah... they are acting like NIMBY's. Do they propose an alternative alignment that still links the line to the city center?

Nope, they don't.

If they did, then at least they be showing signs of being able to work with others. As of now, just saying no is not a constituent with much influence.

The same thing has happened on the SF Peninsula.... with no substantial change to plans as of yet.

mongoXZ
Feb 19, 2010, 4:27 AM
Based off of all of the comments in this report from local residents (Friends of Rose Canyon), Councilwomen Sherri Lightner and Donna Frye, and various SD development groups, the line from I-15 through UTC (with a stop) to the I-5 south to downtown seems pretty much doomed.

Not so fast. Just because a vocal minority came out to voice their irrationality doesn't necessarily mean it's doomed.

Well, I hope it doesn't. :duh

eburress
Feb 19, 2010, 4:43 AM
Not so fast. Just because a vocal minority came out to voice their irrationality doesn't necessarily mean it's doomed.

Well, I hope it doesn't. :duh

Vocal minority? Based on my informal research, NIMBYs make up 95% of San Diego's population. If the NIMBYs are united in opposition of it, it is most certainly doomed.

Derek
Feb 19, 2010, 11:28 AM
Which is why I'm heading to Vancouver in two years. :)

HurricaneHugo
Feb 20, 2010, 6:02 AM
Like I've said before, I'm going down with the ship!