PDA

View Full Version : SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161

Nerv
Jul 17, 2015, 4:28 PM
I think its somewhere in between. There was a good intention with this law but there seems to be too many holes and it has allowed people like Briggs to make a living challenging projects that really have no significant environmental impact.
We all know that replacing the Q with a different stadium should be a no brainer. But instead the city is spending 2.1 million dollars to hurry this along and in the end Briggs will probably sue because the funding plan is inadequate. Meanwhile in Carson, 8,000 plus signatures and a few nobody politicians can legally exempt the whole process?
I would support scrapping the law and coming up with something that actually makes sense.

They won't get rid of it simply for the reason to many people like the law so they can misuse it to their own ends. Why not? It's almost a perfect way to hold someone hostage for money or destroy something you don't like. It's just another law on the books that isn't being used the way it was intended. I've heard many people over the years comment on its misuse but also why it's not going away for the above reasons.

It is way misused too. Almost everyone agrees its a good law only in theory but not how it is actually used. This was from a recent article on it:

“Everywhere you have people trying to preserve the status quo, but do they go to court and win?” she asks. “In New York, agencies win all the time.”

But in California cities, they very well might not. Agencies in the Golden State win about 53 percent of the time, Hernandez says, while challengers win about 47 percent of the time. Plaintiffs have a good shot at slowing the development of environmentally iffy projects — big box stores, industrial polluters — but also neighborhood libraries, high-density housing and mass transit.

https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/environment-lawsuits-eir-bloomberg-bike-lanes

SDCAL
Jul 17, 2015, 5:40 PM
Hopefully one of those mentioned above tries the downtown market soon because as much as I love Whole Foods I'd have rather seen one of them mentioned in a new project instead. Downtown is fine with grocery stores and restaurants, thank you.

No, no downtown is not fine with grocery stores :) We NEED. A Trader Joes down here. I drive to Hillcrest every week to go to TJs and usually stop off at Whole Foods as well to get things I can't get at TJs. I stopped going to the huge chain places like Albertsons and Ralph's many years ago during the strikes and never returned because I found MUCH higher quality at the smaller stores and WF, especially when it comes to produce. Quite frankly the Albertson's downtown is TOO big for me and the produce is not fresh. You walk in and it's like you're in a gigantic airline hangar with isles and need a map just to find the few items you need. I know some people like the big grocery experience so I'm glad Albertsons and Ralph's are downtown, but a lot of people like me don't shop there. Jumbo's is an OK alternative to WF but I'm in the EV and it's still a pain to go over there and I'm not a big fan of going into Horton Plaza to do grocery shopping. If they do build the WF at 7th and Market they will definitely have one customer guaranteed - me. It's in close walking distance. And if they build a TJs in EV that would be even better :tup:

SDCAL
Jul 17, 2015, 5:50 PM
My two cents on EIRs: Needed, but need to be amended to be more reasonable. There should always be a robust environmental evaluation on any project, I firmly believe this. But the process needs to be efficient and non-biased which it is neither. It needs to be overhauled and it needs to be controlled by objective environmental experts who have no ties with politicians, lawyers, NIMBY community groups, or developers.

Northparkwizard
Jul 17, 2015, 5:54 PM
My two cents on EIRs: Needed, but need to be amended to be more reasonable. There should always be a robust environmental evaluation on any project, I firmly believe this. But the process needs to be efficient and non-biased which it is neither. It needs to be overhauled and it needs to be controlled by objective environmental experts who have no to with politicians, lawyers, NIMBY community groups, or developers.

:cheers:

Nerv
Jul 17, 2015, 9:27 PM
No, no downtown is not fine with grocery stores :) We NEED. A Trader Joes down here. I drive to Hillcrest every week to go to TJs and usually stop off at Whole Foods as well to get things I can't get at TJs. I stopped going to the huge chain places like Albertsons and Ralph's many years ago during the strikes and never returned because I found MUCH higher quality at the smaller stores and WF, especially when it comes to produce. Quite frankly the Albertson's downtown is TOO big for me and the produce is not fresh. You walk in and it's like you're in a gigantic airline hangar with isles and need a map just to find the few items you need. I know some people like the big grocery experience so I'm glad Albertsons and Ralph's are downtown, but a lot of people like me don't shop there. Jumbo's is an OK alternative to WF but I'm in the EV and it's still a pain to go over there and I'm not a big fan of going into Horton Plaza to do grocery shopping. If they do build the WF at 7th and Market they will definitely have one customer guaranteed - me. It's in close walking distance. And if they build a TJs in EV that would be even better :tup:

Sorry. I meant fine in the sense that they do have a Albertsons, Ralph's, and Jimbo's at least with a possible Whole Foods on the way (again). If I had to pick a retail store that's needed most in downtown I'd say it's a Target or Walmart. Even a Costco in the city could work. Just one of those stores could reduce a lot of trips outside the city to shop. Everything else should come as demand is increased (well, we hope).

You are right about Trader Joes too. That's a store that usually has a small retail footprint and could work perfect in some project in the future. If I were them I'd look at space in the upcoming ballpark village project. They carry a lot of product that would work for convention goers too giving them a nice secondary market during events. Hell I could see people stopping in before a baseball game too with their drinks and sandwiches.

spoonman
Jul 17, 2015, 9:59 PM
There is a Walmart on Commercial a few blocks east of the 5. It's one trolley stop from the MTS station. I don't see them builiding another location downtown, but I belivee Target will build one of their "express" type stores.

I heard that another grocery store was coming to Little Italy in the Aeriel Suites building. I'm not sure the status of the project at this time.

Nerv
Jul 17, 2015, 10:14 PM
We got our logo today. :tup:

http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/jpeg/eab363dd165c62fa9b62cdb6bc9f5b3db44f57f1.jpg

HurricaneHugo
Jul 19, 2015, 1:59 AM
We got our logo today. :tup:

http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/jpeg/eab363dd165c62fa9b62cdb6bc9f5b3db44f57f1.jpg

Looks very generic.

They could at least put the Coronado bridge

Northparkwizard
Jul 21, 2015, 6:00 PM
Looks very generic.

They could at least put the Coronado bridge

This logo is ugly but less ugly than the Coronado bridge.

aerogt3
Jul 23, 2015, 8:09 AM
My two cents on EIRs: Needed, but need to be amended to be more reasonable. There should always be a robust environmental evaluation on any project, I firmly believe this. But the process needs to be efficient and non-biased which it is neither. It needs to be overhauled and it needs to be controlled by objective environmental experts who have no ties with politicians, lawyers, NIMBY community groups, or developers.

The EIR system needs a complete revamp, because in reality it has a neutral or even detrimental impact on the environment while adding an enormous cost, complexity, and uncertainty to any development. Transit and clean energy projects often suffer delays of years due to lengthy EIRs. Is there really doubt that the overall environmental impact of a subway line is positive? Because there is definitely an environmental drawback to having 50 thousand single occupancy vehicles on the road during the 2 or 3 years of EIRs.

EIR's in their current form should be reserved for large scale industrial applications. Building a strip mall with some parking doesn't need an EIR. A large shopping mall which will have acres and acres of parking run off and potential traffic queues should get an "EIR-lite" to address the limited number of environmental impacts that type of project could have, without diving into million dollar studies about the potential 1% population decline of magic unicorn snails.

Also, EIR's should be excluded entirely when the property is already surrounded by other development (so long as the type of proposed development is similar.)

And whatever the type/level of detail, EIR's should be done at the zoning level rather than on a project by project basis. It would be faster, more cost effective, and less subject to NIMBYism if districts were zoned industrial/residential/ec. and then the appropriate level of EIR were done for the zoned area as a whole.

Streamliner
Jul 23, 2015, 4:05 PM
Park Station housing in La Mesa on hold
San Diego Union-Tribune
Karen Pearlman
July 21, 2015

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/jul/21/park-station-housing-la-mesa-on-hold/

“The Park Station team has decided to postpone the specific plan approval process to ensure that we have taken sufficient time to process additional input that has been received from the community,” said Lenette Hewitt, spokeswoman for Park Station. “Additionally, as market conditions are constantly changing, the team feels it prudent to assess the current real estate market to reaffirm which building uses will bring the greatest benefit to the city of La Mesa and all of its residents.”

The mixed-use development over 4.73 acres was originally set for 190 feet in 2009. In response to an outcry from residents citing excess traffic, noise, pollution and ruined views, developers made changes, including lowering the height in seeking city approval.

But even as it reduced the height, Park Station continued to get pushback from the community. On its third go-around at a three-hour meeting May 20 at a packed City Council chambers, the Park Station plan was again rejected by the La Mesa Planning Commission.

The commission turned down the most recent revamped design that called for a maximum height of 75 feet, saying it could not recommend the plan to the City Council. Sixty percent of that proposed project was four stories tall — or 46 feet.

This is too bad. Downtown La Mesa has a good town center and access to transit. The perfect place for more density and transit oriented development.

Leo the Dog
Jul 23, 2015, 5:28 PM
^That is unbelievable.

I would think that La Mesa and even El Cajon would really push for high density in-fill, especially near a trolley stop with freeway access.

They have a huge advantage because they don't have to contend with the CCC.

mello
Jul 23, 2015, 6:54 PM
I would think El Cajon is much more open to it. This section of La Mesa has way more residential charm with the craftsman homes and hilly landscape. El Cajon is flat and its nicer older houses are up in the hills just south of the 8. I have walked around that old center of LM and I can tell it would be a NIMBY type hood there are some really nice blocks and those people are more likely to bitch and moan.

This is very upsetting though. The developer has been trying to get this done for almost 10 years pathetic... Think of all the extra business all those mom and pops in the downtown area could be missing out on with the influence of high end renters this project would bring. Not to say its a silver bullet for turning La Mesa in to our Pasadena but its a start at changing the perception.

The Flying Dutchman
Jul 24, 2015, 7:41 PM
SANDAG released their grant award recipient list today:

http://www.sandag.org/uploads/meetingid/meetingid_4082_19439.pdf

Regarding downtown, one million was awarded to construct the initial pilot block of a pedestrianized 14th street project, and to study the feasibility of an enhanced 6th ave. bridge crossing for pedestrians.

Nerv
Jul 24, 2015, 11:03 PM
Liberty Station will be getting the Liberty Station Market this October. Having spent an awful lot of time in Washingtons Pikes Place Market even a mini version of that in San Diego is something I'm looking forward to. :)

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/jul/23/tenants-announced-liberty-station-public-market/

nezbn22
Jul 25, 2015, 1:48 PM
Liberty Station will be getting the Liberty Station Market this October. Having spent an awful lot of time in Washingtons Pikes Place Market even a mini version of that in San Diego is something I'm looking forward to. :)

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/jul/23/tenants-announced-liberty-station-public-market/

Great idea, just wish it were downtown...seaport village anyone?

Bertrice
Jul 25, 2015, 2:26 PM
Great idea, just wish it were downtown...seaport village anyone?

better parking situation at LS and tourists would just ruin it

nezbn22
Jul 25, 2015, 8:34 PM
better parking situation at LS and tourists would just ruin it

Absolutely correct about the parking. They'd have to address that in their remodel. However, while tourists are annoying, I'm pretty sure they haven't ruined Pike Place Market. The only way they'd ruin it is if the market started selling touristy crap instead of the good market items.

Bertrice
Jul 25, 2015, 8:51 PM
never been to pikes but isnt that place more like a wholesale market and this liberty market looks to be a boutique. Probably pricier than wholepaycheck. kinda dainty and specialty

chris08876
Jul 25, 2015, 9:30 PM
Can see some developments u/c around town.

There's a big dirt pit to the right of the Petco Park. Whats going on there?

http://oi59.tinypic.com/108g176.jpg
Credit: The View From 6A (https://www.flickr.com/photos/116985076@N08/19365621774/in/photolist-vvgSEA-vpKvPN-w2cZK1-wi91qU-w28J3f-vmSQmv-vmydJW-vmybP3-wiztjX-wizajZ-w1Xtv1-wgfEE3-wgeGyW-w1TbY1-wiuPc2-wgbkcU-w1T45U-w1STsh-wg5ZGb-w33B6q-w2igqD-wizy2T-wiuVve-vmCq4R-vmCmLt-w1MHbW-wipqK8-whYkBP-vjsBJY-vYuenX-vYmRmN-wdE6V5-vj7zE6-vYnfFd-wdEAcL-vYmYA7-vYmXhq-vYmQeN-wdEaVE-vYu7yg-wfjsEA-vYmFtE-wfjpmG-vYmH3d-wgpHnK-vYmEu7-vYtXCk-wfYiSn-vYmwqE-vYtUmv)

The Flying Dutchman
Jul 26, 2015, 3:42 AM
That would be the Ballpark Village site, I'll wager.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/apr/17/ballpark-village-jmi-greystar-downtown/

HurricaneHugo
Jul 30, 2015, 8:57 AM
San Diego Resident's used 26% less water this past June

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/jul/29/june-drought-conservation-exceeds/

Now if the state focuses on reducing farm water use, we can make it through this drought!

spoonman
Jul 30, 2015, 2:54 PM
Haha. Good call Hugo.

Glad to see we are getting through the water situation, at least for now. For a while, it looked like the NIMBY's were going to be able to stop development with water as the excuse. Now I don't see that happening, unless the drought gets much much much worse. The city has basically declared that new development has little impact in the overall picture. Much to the chagrin of the NIMBYBOOMERS.

Bertrice
Jul 31, 2015, 11:38 PM
sorry so big

http://www.sundt.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Austin-Sundt-SDIA-Car-Rental-Center-6-10-15-3.jpg

The Flying Dutchman
Aug 1, 2015, 1:03 PM
Nice shot. Thanks.

202_Cyclist
Aug 1, 2015, 1:38 PM
Great photo! Did you take this from the tower at SAN?

Bertrice
Aug 1, 2015, 3:44 PM
Great photo! Did you take this from the tower at SAN?

from this site
http://www.sundt.com/media/blog/tag/airport-construction/

HurricaneHugo
Aug 2, 2015, 8:32 AM
Beautiful sunset picture overlooking downtown:

https://i.imgur.com/ErN0xtL.jpg

mello
Aug 2, 2015, 9:23 PM
What are the chances of attracting a Chinese Billionaire developer to the MTS busyard site? Asian money is starting to trickle south, did you guys see the big proposal for the Angels Stadium site? That is Chinese money. How can we plug in to this and move forward with Gary London's proposal for 3.2 million plus square feet on that 4 block site? The city has already successfully completed projects on city owned 7th/12th Market now its time for the big boy, that damn black hole of a busyard that can blow east village up!

In Bertrice's photo there is all that waisted space on Hancock/Kettner BLVD, would be nice to see that utilized for residential density.

dales5050
Aug 3, 2015, 10:57 AM
Now that the rental car companies can move off the bay and there is talks of a new terminal 1....Anyone have an idea of what's going to replace the car rental lots over there?

nezbn22
Aug 3, 2015, 11:52 PM
Now that the rental car companies can move off the bay and there is talks of a new terminal 1....Anyone have an idea of what's going to replace the car rental lots over there?

I'm not aware of any plans to replace the asphalt lots on harbor island, which is frustrating to no end. You've known you're going to have this prime real estate freed up for at least a couple years. Why not have something ready to go? Or at least have the conversation started? I understand why development takes forever once the lawsuits start, but why should it take this long to start floating plans/ideas?

dales5050
Aug 4, 2015, 11:11 AM
I'm not aware of any plans to replace the asphalt lots on harbor island, which is frustrating to no end. You've known you're going to have this prime real estate freed up for at least a couple years. Why not have something ready to go? Or at least have the conversation started? I understand why development takes forever once the lawsuits start, but why should it take this long to start floating plans/ideas?

Frustrating for sure.

One has to think that if this land was projected as park space, a lot of the lawsuits regarding access to the bay over at Broadway could have been avoided. God forbid those from Rancho Santa Fe don't have the option to drive down, park and walk 5 feet to be at the water.

It's not like you can put up a bunch of high rises due to the proximity to the airport.

My only hope is that this land is somehow needed by the airport for when they redo Terminal 1. You have to move those cars currently on the other side of N. Harbor somewhere during construction. Maybe that's the short term plan?

Nerv
Aug 5, 2015, 6:55 AM
Some high rise projects moving along recently.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/jul/30/downtown-apartments-civic-hotel/

nezbn22
Aug 6, 2015, 8:29 PM
Good news regarding the Navy Broadway Complex (but I'll believe it when it actually happens) and Coasterra (Cohn Restaurant Group's new Harbor Island venue):

http://www.sandiegometro.com/2015/08/daily-business-report-aug-3-2015/

Bertrice
Aug 8, 2015, 12:30 AM
https://www.portofsandiego.org/46-real-estate-projects/centre-city-news/3973-board-of-port-commissioners-to-consider-future-of-iconic-waterfront-restaurant-site.html

https://www.portofsandiego.org/images/stories/Real-Estate/news/2015/sunroad_rendering1.jpg

https://www.portofsandiego.org/images/stories/Real-Estate/news/2015/brigantine_day_r1.jpg

Bertrice
Aug 8, 2015, 5:10 PM
Blue sky

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CL5mNpxUcAEUFfS.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CL5mNZVUYAAiuzm.jpg

Streamliner
Aug 9, 2015, 2:22 AM
Good news regarding the Navy Broadway Complex (but I'll believe it when it actually happens) and Coasterra (Cohn Restaurant Group's new Harbor Island venue):

http://www.sandiegometro.com/2015/08/daily-business-report-aug-3-2015/

Here's the new rendering, showing the updated plan. I think it looks alright, though I think I'm just glad something is finally happening there. That corner of downtown is such a waste right now. It's not the most iconic, but it has some height to it.

“Better yet? Manchester is now planning on building the entire project all at once rather than in phases over a 10-year period. The office towers are going to have the best water views in the city (maybe the entire West Coast). New renderings reveal a modified design that allows for even more office floors to have unobstructed views than previously envisioned, which will be forever unobstructed.”

http://www.sandiegometro.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Pacific-Gateway.jpg

mello
Aug 9, 2015, 4:30 AM
Please just build so something I would like to see the parking lots on the waterfront I've driven and walked past over all these years as a native San Diego built on before I'm 40 years old for christsake. I just drove past another big parking lot just south of the County Admin Park does anyone know what is planned for that eyesore?

Good article in the UT today about the absolutely insane Coastal Commission law requiring "affordable lodging" near CA beaches and bays. They go in depth about how it is holding up Sunroads plans to revamp the east end of Harbor Island with hotels and maybe even the 800 rooms planned across the bridge from Liberty Station right next to airport.

You would think the trade/construction unions would be up in arms over this saying "hey you are taking food out of families mouths we could have 2000 quality construction jobs going right now." Not to mention Navy Broadway Complex think of the economic impact that will have on San Diego!

tyleraf
Aug 9, 2015, 1:54 PM
I'm glad to see some action on NBC. Hopefully Manchester can finally get this project off the ground. It's been an eyesore for too many years.
Mello: The parking lot next to the CAC park is owned by the port and eventually a hotel/hostel and a parking garage are planned for the site.

embora
Aug 10, 2015, 12:30 AM

The Port of San Diego precise plan for Harbor Island/Lindbergh Field calls for "Industrial Business Park." I copied and pasted the description below. My assumption is that they would require public access to the water frontage, so I imagine they'd use a walkway/promenade for that purpose.

You can download the plan at this webpage: https://www.portofsandiego.org/environment/land-use/port-master-plan.html

East of Harbor Island, subarea 24, is a tract of
land leased by General Dynamics Corporation and
Lockheed Ocean Laboratory for aerospace and
oceanographic research and development. These
sites are recommended for eventual redevelopment
into a light, marine related industrial/business park
to include such activities as scientific laboratories,
office space, marine oriented businesses and light
manufacturing plants, with some ancillary storage
and warehousing where necessary to the conduct of
primary industrial activities.
The bicycle path extends along Harbor Drive
north of the industrial site for about one mile, where
it connects with the Embarcadero path. A small half-
acre land parcel between General Dynamics and the
U.S. Coast Guard Station will be used for Harbor
Services in association with the Convair Lagoon
sediment remediation and monitoring.

dales5050
Aug 10, 2015, 11:58 AM
The Port of San Diego precise plan for Harbor Island/Lindbergh Field calls for "Industrial Business Park." I copied and pasted the description below. My assumption is that they would require public access to the water frontage, so I imagine they'd use a walkway/promenade for that purpose.

You can download the plan at this webpage: https://www.portofsandiego.org/environment/land-use/port-master-plan.html

Thanks for the info!

That's a pretty large spectrum of what's possible. I would much rather see nice office space than light industry and storage. At least with office space you would not have traffic on nights and weekends.

That said, it could have been so much more.

I wonder if the NIMBY's will file the same number of lawsuits for their access over here....

dales5050
Aug 10, 2015, 12:09 PM
Good article in the UT today about the absolutely insane Coastal Commission law requiring "affordable lodging" near CA beaches and bays. They go in depth about how it is holding up Sunroads plans to revamp the east end of Harbor Island with hotels and maybe even the 800 rooms planned across the bridge from Liberty Station right next to airport.

The most amusing part of it is they are fighting to solve a problem that they are creating. If they would just let a couple of towers go up on even just one beach...you would not have rooms going for so much.

Take Pacific Beach for example. They could open up development on several parcels for large hotels. In exchange for allowing the beachfront to go up they could demand a rebuilt boardwalk, public parks and public parking. Hell, if they really had some vision they could run a branch of the light rail to the beach. That would lower traffic and bring even more access to the public at large.

I am sure some NIMBYs in PB would have an issue but you can't please everyone.

mello
Aug 10, 2015, 8:07 PM
Exactly you could put a nice cluster of towers on the Beach Cottages and Surfrider properties which are so outdated and ready for the wrecking ball. Plus across the street they could do two towers at the Burger King and CVS on Mission Blvd. So I envision 4 modern glassy towers that would completely revamp Pacific Beach and like you said add inventory which will drop rates for both hotels and vacation rentals in the area.

dales5050
Aug 11, 2015, 12:16 PM
Exactly you could put a nice cluster of towers on the Beach Cottages and Surfrider properties which are so outdated and ready for the wrecking ball. Plus across the street they could do two towers at the Burger King and CVS on Mission Blvd. So I envision 4 modern glassy towers that would completely revamp Pacific Beach and like you said add inventory which will drop rates for both hotels and vacation rentals in the area.

Garnet Ave to Pacific Beach Drive and Bayard St to the beach. Make this a development zone. It's already about 30% parking lot and 50% commercial.

A pretty basic plan:

1 - Build a large public parking ramp with a park on the top, similar to what's next to county hall. This would reduce parking on the side streets which is a major pain for residents.
2 - Force hotels to also include a 20% increase of spaces needed for their hotel for the public as well.
3 - Force hotels to keep 10% of their rooms at a lower accessible rate that is defined by the local market. Obviously these would not have a view but would come with beach access.

embora
Aug 12, 2015, 1:02 AM
I'd be in favor of allowing more density along the coast, too, and agree that it would have a beneficial effect on housing affordability.

embora
Aug 12, 2015, 1:04 AM
Here's the Draft EIR for the proposed replacement football stadium, for your reading enjoyment!

http://www.sandiego.gov/cip/newscenter/stadiumeir.shtml

dales5050
Aug 12, 2015, 11:31 AM
Here's the Draft EIR for the proposed replacement football stadium, for your reading enjoyment!

http://www.sandiego.gov/cip/newscenter/stadiumeir.shtml

San Diego just needs to give up on the Chargers. They are gone.

SDCAL
Aug 12, 2015, 3:55 PM
San Diego just needs to give up on the Chargers. They are gone.

I agree. I realize for many it will be a big loss, but do we really want a team here who doesn't want to be here? Who is forced to be here because the NFL told them they have to stay? I think the discussion should shift from trying to keep a team who is already one foot out the door to what the best use of that site could be.

dales5050
Aug 12, 2015, 4:53 PM
I agree. I realize for many it will be a big loss, but do we really want a team here who doesn't want to be here? Who is forced to be here because the NFL told them they have to stay? I think the discussion should shift from trying to keep a team who is already one foot out the door to what the best use of that site could be.

It's going to be a loss for everyone...just to different degrees. But chasing after the Chargers is now, after so many years, a fools errand.

San Diego is going to be left with the Q. Both in cost and lack of development opportunity and it will take a hit in other areas as well. I think the loss of opportunity in development is huge.

I think the best path forward for the Q is still a new stadium, as something needs to exist for SDSU, but it does not have to be an NFL stadium.

Maybe San Diego can land a MLS team in the next 10 years. This would allow for a new stadium to be built and provide most of the benefits of the proposed Q redevelopment but at a fraction of the cost.

Streamliner
Aug 12, 2015, 5:23 PM
https://www.portofsandiego.org/46-real-estate-projects/centre-city-news/3973-board-of-port-commissioners-to-consider-future-of-iconic-waterfront-restaurant-site.html

https://www.portofsandiego.org/images/stories/Real-Estate/news/2015/sunroad_rendering1.jpg

https://www.portofsandiego.org/images/stories/Real-Estate/news/2015/brigantine_day_r1.jpg

We can now add a third option for the site. Anthony's Fish Grotto was allowed into the competition:

http://cdn.sandiegouniontrib.com/img/photos/2015/05/15/anthonys_rendering_r900x493.JPG?122770e84b36f1c039d5c4c2ca15c2d8bc4ecd52

Port adds Anthony's back into eatery competition
Union-Tribune
Roger Showley
August 12, 2015
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/aug/11/anthonys-port-sunroad-brigantine-lease/

Anthony's Fish Grotto won a second chance Tuesday to keep its coveted spot on the San Diego waterfront place as the San Diego Unified Port District decided to conduct a three-way competition.

"We're back in the game," exulted Craig Ghio, whose grandmother began the family waterfront eatery in 1946 using a secret batter recipe for fish and chips.

The port staff had recommended simultaneous negotiations with two other proven restaurant developer groups, the Brigantine and Sunroad Enterprises, for the Anthony's current location at the foot of Ash Street, just south of the San Diego Maritime Museum's historic Star of India sailing ship.

Nerv
Aug 12, 2015, 5:33 PM
I like the Brigantine design the best.

Sunroad is bland and doesn't fit right on the ocean.

Anthony's looks cheesy. The "wave" on the side looks terrible.

SDCAL
Aug 12, 2015, 6:04 PM
I like the Brigantine design the best.

Sunroad is bland and doesn't fit right on the ocean.

Anthony's looks cheesy. The "wave" on the side looks terrible.

I totally agree about the Sunroad one. It looks like something that would become dated really quick.

I can't tell from the rendering if the wave is good or bad. It could go either way. If it is just some cheesy painted mural,or cheap material design then yes I agree with you. But if it's some sort of transparent glass type artwork that really draws you in I could see it working. I'd have to see more renderings of it and understand the materials they are using.

SDCAL
Aug 12, 2015, 6:11 PM
Does anyone know when they are planning on completing the next phase of the North Embarcadero Visionary Plan? If I'm not mistaken, it doesn't yet extend to Anthony's, but it looks like in the rendering above it includes the gardens associated with the extension.

As it is now, it's kind of bizarre because you have this short improvement area with the landscaping, then it just abruptly ends when walking north along the harbor. I tried looking on the Port website but couldn't find any timelines for it.

Nerv
Aug 12, 2015, 7:17 PM
Does anyone know when they are planning on completing the next phase of the North Embarcadero Visionary Plan? If I'm not mistaken, it doesn't yet extend to Anthony's, but it looks like in the rendering above it includes the gardens associated with the extension.

As it is now, it's kind of bizarre because you have this short improvement area with the landscaping, then it just abruptly ends when walking north along the harbor. I tried looking on the Port website but couldn't find any timelines for it.

"Looking to the future, the state's end to redevelopment has thrown into question how the rest of the Embarcadero public improvements will be financed."

So after the Gov stole all the cities money for wasting it on stupid projects like this so they could use it on more useful projects like the already outdated high speed rail between LA and SF that no one cares about.

The least they could have done is build the LA to SD section first since its the second busiest train corridor in the US but since they don't give a crap about us down here because they are having their butts greased on money up there. :yuck:

Just sayin' :D

Nerv
Aug 12, 2015, 7:20 PM
I totally agree about the Sunroad one. It looks like something that would become dated really quick.

I can't tell from the rendering if the wave is good or bad. It could go either way. If it is just some cheesy painted mural,or cheap material design then yes I agree with you. But if it's some sort of transparent glass type artwork that really draws you in I could see it working. I'd have to see more renderings of it and understand the materials they are using.

Yeah, not a fan of wall murals since most look cheap. I wouldn't expect Anthony's "Hail Mary" plan to have an expensive one on it either.

Wall murals usually only look good to me on older buildings that could use the love.

mello
Aug 12, 2015, 7:20 PM
You guys still think this Chargers/Raiders Carson proposal is for real? Or you think Spanos will just go be Kroenke's tenant in the Wood or jump ship for STL or San Antonio? Kroenke will not let the bumpling broke stooges of Spanos/Davis beat him to LA, he is worth 12 billion not going to happen. I still think Spanos has to play his cards like this to make it look like he is protecting "his market" so he can milk money out of Kroenke in a "grand bargain" so many journalists have written about in the last few months where one owner gets kicked down cash for not be included in the party.

You really think Spanos and Davis are going to put up there own money for a 1.7 billion dollar stadium PLUS relocation fees.... No way. These guys have no money outside of their franchises. Oakland is a "failed state" they will tag along with Kroenke and Spanos will get kicked down some cash and stay right here. I think they can get 23 million per year from Kia for naming rights sell 250 to 350 million in PSL and be just fine.

If they want to milk as much as they can from City/County/NFL/Kroenke unfortunately this is how they need to act, it is silly and childish but when you look at it from their perspective it is affective look at everyone running around like crazy trying to "Save the Chargers".

Streamliner
Aug 12, 2015, 7:31 PM

The closest thing I could find was a quote from Councilman Todd Gloria in this Union-Tribune article (http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2014/jul/02/north-embarcadero-improvements/) from July 2014:

"I think when San Diegans see Phase 1, they'll demand that Phases 2 and 3 be completed," Gloria said. "Obviously, we dont have a funding source but i think public pressure to reclaim these space for people will be tremendous and that's how we'll get this done."

So who knows.

dales5050
Aug 13, 2015, 11:06 AM
The closest thing I could find was a quote from Councilman Todd Gloria in this Union-Tribune article (http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2014/jul/02/north-embarcadero-improvements/) from July 2014:

The impact of phase 1 is undeniable. It's amazing and what the front porch of the bay should be.

That said, why in the hell did they break it up into 3 phases. It's not that big of a project.

Bertrice
Aug 13, 2015, 1:34 PM
That said, why in the hell did they break it up into 3 phases. It's not that big of a project.

maybe it has to do with parking. extending it north would remove all those metered spots

SDCAL
Aug 13, 2015, 5:06 PM
^^ Re: everyone's replies about North Embarcadero.

That's really sad that we are left with this half-completed (or 1/3 completed) landscaping project along the bay. The part they did is nice, but it seems so short. You walk along and them it suddenly just ends. I know a huge part of it was relocating the road, do they still need to relocate more of the street for the rest of it? If not, I'd think it would be a relatively simple project.

dales5050
Aug 13, 2015, 5:38 PM
maybe it has to do with parking. extending it north would remove all those metered spots

But the parking ramp is already in place. I think the ramp next to County Hall was built to replace all of those spots and add additional spots.

mello
Aug 13, 2015, 8:11 PM
Yes there is plenty of parking over there now with Little Italy garage and under county park I'm sure like everything else it comes down to $$$.

Who else is excited about the cross border terminal we now have 15+ cheap flights a day to Mexico City so you can time a quick connection to almost anywhere in Latin America!! Lima, Medellin, Santo Domingo, Havana, Sao Paolo... This is awesome. Has anyone ever flown to DF and tried to get a connection? Is it easy or a complete mess I'm curious.

embora
Aug 14, 2015, 3:26 AM
Yes there is plenty of parking over there now with Little Italy garage and under county park I'm sure like everything else it comes down to $$$.

Who else is excited about the cross border terminal we now have 15+ cheap flights a day to Mexico City so you can time a quick connection to almost anywhere in Latin America!! Lima, Medellin, Santo Domingo, Havana, Sao Paolo... This is awesome. Has anyone ever flown to DF and tried to get a connection? Is it easy or a complete mess I'm curious.

I'm excited about it, just because it's an awesome idea. Though I have never personally flown out of TJ's airport.

Streamliner
Aug 14, 2015, 4:32 PM
Some bad news for Harbor Island Development:

Lack of low-cost lodging dooms hotel project
San Diego Union-Tribune
August 14, 2015
Lori Weisberg

Link: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/aug/13/no-affordable-lodging-no-port-project/

Standing firm on its mandate to ensure affordable lodging along the water, the California Coastal Commission Thursday rejected plans for up to three Harbor Island hotels that would be located on public tidelands overseen by the Port of San Diego.

The commission’s objections were largely the same as they were a year ago when the same proposal for 500 new hotel rooms was up for consideration. Recognizing that undeveloped waterfront tidelands are vanishing, commissioners said they were disappointed that the San Diego Unified Port District would not make a stronger commitment to guaranteeing affordable lodging on or near Harbor Island.

“It is a form of segregation when we take the public land and develop it for people who can afford $250-and-above hotel rooms and we develop land (further) away for cheaper (hotels) for the public who can’t afford it. This isn’t all about money. It’s about making our coast accessible to all people.

The coast should absolutely be accessible to all people. But I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that cheap lodging = access.

mello
Aug 14, 2015, 6:07 PM
This is unbelievable that the Harbor Island Hotel thing can't be figured out. New rooms on the East side of the Island have been talked about for what 12 years now its seems? This coastal commission really needs to be dealt with it has been holding back the CA economy long enough. Think of all the out of work construction guys who are barely getting by working fast food or odd jobs who could be making great money constructing these hotels and other housing projects along the coast right now.

Bertrice
Aug 14, 2015, 11:35 PM
http://www.prlog.org/12467868-the-corky-mcmillin-companies-and-intermountain-management-announce-hotel-development-at-liberty-station.html

Liberty station hotel. looks like they already started

http://www.prlog.org/12467868-hampton-inn-and-suites-liberty-station.jpg

Streamliner
Aug 15, 2015, 12:13 AM
http://www.prlog.org/12467868-the-corky-mcmillin-companies-and-intermountain-management-announce-hotel-development-at-liberty-station.html

I'd forgotten about this site. I would rather have had the architecture of the Nickelodeon hotel that was proposed for this site years ago.

PadreHomer
Aug 18, 2015, 10:54 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN4oorKgWcY

spoonman
Aug 18, 2015, 11:16 PM
The rest of the architecture at Liberty Station is so bad that I wouldn't worry about this project standing out.

In other news, it is looking more like the Charger's stadium plan in Carson is losing support from the NFL. Spanks may have to be Kroenke's tenant, or come crawling back to the table. Time will tell.

Northparkwizard
Aug 20, 2015, 6:13 AM
The rest of the architecture at Liberty Station is so bad that I wouldn't worry about this project standing out.

In other news, it is looking more like the Charger's stadium plan in Carson is losing support from the NFL. Spanks may have to be Kroenke's tenant, or come crawling back to the table. Time will tell.

I'm not really sure what folks expected Liberty Station to be besides a rehab'd military base and if you judge it against other former military bases, it might be the most successful post-WWII-residential/commercial project ever.

Height limits, Point Loma NIMBYS, proximity to SAN... There's a ton of shit going against Liberty Station, yet it's has more commerce/action happening there than most U.S. towns.

It's like somebody dropped a master-planned Colorado suburb next to an airport. A lot less cool than Ft. Collins, CO. A lot more cool than Cedar City, UT.

In other news, that Carson Stadium ain't happening.

Chapelo
Aug 20, 2015, 7:22 PM
Anyone know if they are tearing down the remnants of the Navy barracks next to where this hotel is going up? I went through them as a recruit in the early 90s and would love to walk through them one last time.

I know they're pretty popular for urban explorers....and graffiti artists.

dales5050
Aug 21, 2015, 2:10 PM
I'm not really sure what folks expected Liberty Station to be besides a rehab'd military base and if you judge it against other former military bases, it might be the most successful post-WWII-residential/commercial project ever.

Height limits, Point Loma NIMBYS, proximity to SAN... There's a ton of shit going against Liberty Station, yet it's has more commerce/action happening there than most U.S. towns.

This.

Personally I like the layout and building styles there. Don't like the massive parking lots.

Not sure if possible but if they could be allowed to build to just 3 stories you could build a couple of parking ramps that are 'skinned' with residential on 2 or 3 sides. Do town homes on 1-2 and condos up top. It would not add that many units but it would make it feel much much different.

The biggest mistake made there was allowing the Rock Church to be located on the campus. It's a massive mess during the weekend.

embora
Aug 22, 2015, 12:46 AM
Here's an article about a proposed bridge and apartments for UCSD:

UCSD to Get New Bridge, Apartments

Gary Warth
Union Tribune

Construction projects for more student housing and a new bridge over Interstate 5 could begin as early as next month at the UC San Diego.

The $17.5 million bridge will link Gilman Drive with Medical Center Drive. It also will connect the UC San Diego campus with the Veteran’s Administration Medical Center and with housing for graduate students in Mesa Residential Apartments, where a $208 million project will replace 88 old units with 1,350 new ones.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/aug/18/ucsd-housing-bridge-construction-could-begin-soon/

http://cdn.sandiegouniontrib.com/img/photos/2015/08/19/UCSD_bridge_t837.png?5df2a6e0ac564ff4ddc2702f3c8561935b88c24b

mello
Aug 23, 2015, 7:07 AM
Wow UCSD is really blowing up with construction on the campus and at the Medical Center. It is well on its way to becoming one of the top Public Universities in the country and its Med Center is as good as it gets. I think that article made an error it says 2 11 floor buildings will be demolished to make way for 8 floor structures. There are no 11 floor buildings east of the 5 over there. I think maybe they meant to say 11 2 floor buildings.

HurricaneHugo
Aug 23, 2015, 9:10 AM
Flew into SD yesterday, got a nice shot of downtown and that new building going up next to Emerald. What building is it and does anybody have a rendering?

http://i.imgur.com/No4iku0.jpg

embora
Aug 23, 2015, 7:37 PM
Wow UCSD is really blowing up with construction on the campus and at the Medical Center. It is well on its way to becoming one of the top Public Universities in the country and its Med Center is as good as it gets. I think that article made an error it says 2 11 floor buildings will be demolished to make way for 8 floor structures. There are no 11 floor buildings east of the 5 over there. I think maybe they meant to say 11 2 floor buildings.

Indeed. And here's a graphic from an article in today's paper, listing some of the development.

'Empire Builder' has UCSD Health on the rise
Gary Robbins

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/aug/21/brenner-UCSD-growth/

http://cdn.sandiegouniontrib.com/img/photos/2015/08/21/UCSD-Building_map-01_t837.png?5df2a6e0ac564ff4ddc2702f3c8561935b88c24b

embora
Aug 23, 2015, 7:55 PM
Flew into SD yesterday, got a nice shot of downtown and that new building going up next to Emerald. What building is it and does anybody have a rendering?

Hi Hugo,

Below is a a rendering, and a link to an article with more info. Another former posted an article a while back that mentioned that there is a Trolley stop planned for this location, too. But I haven't seen any renderings showing the proposed trolley station.

$555M courthouse construction beginning

22-story building downtown will replace 1961 county courthouse in 2016

By Roger Showley | 4 p.m. Feb. 21, 2014

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2014/feb/21/courthouse-state-downtown/

http://cdn.sandiegouniontrib.com/img/photos/2014/02/20/20140106_SDC-Exterior-East-Overall_t837.jpg?5df2a6e0ac564ff4ddc2702f3c8561935b88c24b

The Flying Dutchman
Aug 23, 2015, 10:37 PM

That's the new San Diego County Superior Court Courthouse. http://fox5sandiego.com/2014/03/10/construction-underway-on-new-san-diego-co-superior-court/

HurricaneHugo
Aug 24, 2015, 3:44 AM
Nice!

Really interesting architecture!

tyleraf
Aug 25, 2015, 5:04 PM
The UT has an article on the recently completed Pinnacle on the Park (15th and Island) which also mentions tower two and 11th and Broadway.
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/aug/25/pinnacle-apartments-east-villages/
De Cotiis said he hopes to start construction on Tower 2 later this year and aim for completion by 2019. He also is moving forward on another project at 11th Avenue and Broadway that could start construction next year.

dales5050
Aug 25, 2015, 6:50 PM
The UT has an article on the recently completed Pinnacle on the Park (15th and Island) which also mentions tower two and 11th and Broadway.
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/aug/25/pinnacle-apartments-east-villages/

Maybe I am being hypercritical here but when I read luxury apartments and then see stock cabinets with low grade appliance that do not even fit the space...I have trouble considering it luxury...

Still a very nice building however...

http://i.imgur.com/iJRI2fa.png

eburress
Aug 25, 2015, 7:24 PM
Maybe I am being hypercritical here but when I read luxury apartments and then see stock cabinets with low grade appliance that do not even fit the space...I have trouble considering it luxury...

They put in granite countertops and called it "luxury." hahaha

I completely agree!

HurricaneHugo
Aug 26, 2015, 6:28 AM
Main reason I didn't buy one.

That and the fact that I'm broke.

nezbn22
Aug 26, 2015, 9:04 PM
This list isn't always accurate, but Civic SD has posted its project status log as of July 2015:

http://www.civicsd.com/images/stories/downloads/planning/PROJECTSTATUSLOGJULY2015.pdf

SLO
Aug 26, 2015, 10:59 PM

This is somewhat standard protocol in these buildings. I saw it in Miami and spoke to the developers. They dont want to put in anything other then the cheapest finish because most buyers will customize it. Its only to get their cert of occupancy and provide something for people to visualize. That is finished exactly the same as the ones I toured in Miami.

The Flying Dutchman
Aug 27, 2015, 1:28 AM
You'd think the case would be different for apartment rentals vs. condos. Who knows, maybe they do different finishes the higher up in floors you go. I heard somewhere that all San Diego condos/apts. have special finishes after the 20th floor. Just hearsay.

SDfan
Aug 27, 2015, 4:34 AM
This list isn't always accurate, but Civic SD has posted its project status log as of July 2015:

http://www.civicsd.com/images/stories/downloads/planning/PROJECTSTATUSLOGJULY2015.pdf

Interesting to see a development proposal for the old California Theatre site.

dales5050
Aug 27, 2015, 5:01 PM
This is somewhat standard protocol in these buildings. I saw it in Miami and spoke to the developers. They dont want to put in anything other then the cheapest finish because most buyers will customize it. Its only to get their cert of occupancy and provide something for people to visualize. That is finished exactly the same as the ones I toured in Miami.

But these are apartments, so I don't see customization.

If you're a developer building that many units...how much of a difference in price between stock and ordering hundreds/thousands of sets that are the same?

The Flying Dutchman
Aug 27, 2015, 9:44 PM
Interesting tidbit I found whilst looking at the list:

Re: The Pinnacle towers, it looks like the yellow tower will be 100% apartments while the to-be-built red tower will be almost 100% condos. So I guess customization will come with those new units.

mello
Aug 28, 2015, 8:16 PM
Holy Shit looks like NBC is actually going to happen with groundbreaking occurring before we are all on medicaid!! Corey Briggs can eat a fat one, and take your park talk to San Luis Obispo!! This is huge, 3 million square feet of office space and 1400 hotel rooms. Damn SD coming up huge this is going to put our downtown in a whole other league and ensure we don't get surpassed by Austin which I was kind of starting to get worried about because they are blowing up.

This is being hailed as the best Water view office space land left on the West Coast! Rumor is Manchester is looking for a partner investor to build all of this at once fast!! No stages over 15 years get er done! Manchester the builder! This guy is awesome he wants to see it get done before he dies this is a major legacy for any developer. Do you think he reaches out to a Chinese or Korean Billionaire who would love to stamp there legacy on the Premiere waterfront development on the West Coast?

eburress
Aug 28, 2015, 10:56 PM
Damn SD coming up huge this is going to put our downtown in a whole other league and ensure we don't get surpassed by Austin which I was kind of starting to get worried about because they are blowing up.

Even with NBC, Austin's still kicking our asses. They have the equivalent of several NBCs happening simultaneously, plus greater height, numerous one-off projects, and some pretty cool civic projects to boot.

tyleraf
Aug 28, 2015, 11:11 PM
I'm glad to see things finally clear up for the NBC to move forward. Now if only Briggs would go away...

Northparkwizard
Aug 29, 2015, 12:05 AM
I'd say that even competing with the 2nd most populous state's Capital city is a win. Politicians, lobbyists, etc.. that's when you get into that 5-star level shit. Without the Capital, Austin would just be another big college town with a popular football program, awesome BBQ & good music.

mello
Aug 29, 2015, 3:00 AM
Eburress you think Austin can surpass SD in skyline in what 10 to 15 years even if we get all Bosa towers, NBC, Ritz, Calif Theatre, 11th Bway, 7th bway, Park and Market.

With all those built Austin is going to have to do a lot to pass SD up. Yes they will have more height but density will be tough to match. Also hoping huge tall hotel that JMI has proposed eventually gets built behind Petco.

HurricaneHugo
Aug 29, 2015, 3:57 AM
Eburress you think Austin can surpass SD in skyline in what 10 to 15 years even if we get all Bosa towers, NBC, Ritz, Calif Theatre, 11th Bway, 7th bway, Park and Market.

With all those built Austin is going to have to do a lot to pass SD up. Yes they will have more height but density will be tough to match. Also hoping huge tall hotel that JMI has proposed eventually gets built behind Petco.

You mean Ballpark Village?

Isn't that already U/C?

The Flying Dutchman
Aug 29, 2015, 4:24 AM
You mean Ballpark Village?

Isn't that already U/C?

From the Ballpark Village article:

"Yet to be decided is the fate of JMI's adjacent property, referred to as Parcel D, between Imperial Avenue and Harbor Drive. The company has proposed a 1,600-room hotel but a final decision awaits the outcome of expansion plans for the San Diego Convention Center.

JMI also has interests in Tailgate Park, Petco's parking lot north of Ballpark Village, where Chargers had wanted to build a new stadium. That is now is being looked at as the site for a convention center annex and perhaps a soccer stadium."

Source: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/apr/17/ballpark-village-jmi-greystar-downtown/

spoonman
Aug 29, 2015, 4:33 AM
Even with NBC, Austin's still kicking our asses. They have the equivalent of several NBCs happening simultaneously, plus greater height, numerous one-off projects, and some pretty cool civic projects to boot.

Austin has a lot of activity going on, but collectively downtown Austin is nowhere close to being in the same league. They are experiencing growth similar to what we saw in the early 2000's, but downtown San Diego started much bigger and keeps growing.

eburress
Aug 29, 2015, 5:45 PM

Yes, I do think Austin's Downtown is on a trajectory to overtake SD's in a variety of ways (population, square footage, density, height, etc). SD has not (in my memory) experience the kind of growth happening in Austin right now and there are too many factors like ferocious NIMBYs, height limits, available land, and development and economic climates that are going to further support/limit each downtown's growth trajectory.

spoonman
Aug 29, 2015, 6:38 PM
Dt Austin has much less density. Some tall new towers isn't going to change this anytime soon. We all know how long it takes to eradicate a downtown of parking lots. Downtown Austin could LOOK more impressive in some pictures wit increased heights, but density will be nowhere close.

eburress
Aug 29, 2015, 8:25 PM
Dt Austin has much less density. Some tall new towers isn't going to change this anytime soon. We all know how long it takes to eradicate a downtown of parking lots. Downtown Austin could LOOK more impressive in some pictures wit increased heights, but density will be nowhere close.

Sure, it won't happen overnight, but it'll happen nevertheless. ;)