PDA

View Full Version : SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 [139] 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161

Steadfast
Sep 27, 2018, 6:03 AM
Just noticed the McDonald's at Park & B is closed and fencing is up around the entire block.
Any news on what's planned for that spot?

The Flying Dutchman
Sep 27, 2018, 6:58 AM
Bosa to develop the crusty old library site on E.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/real-estate/sd-fi-bosa-library-20180926-story.html

TLDR; CivicSD/Council expected to approve in November, with construction expected around 2020-21.

Stats: 42 stories, 420', 392 rentals, ground floor commercial.
Subject to change of course (yes, the design will be prettier, folks)

The Flying Dutchman
Sep 27, 2018, 7:00 AM
Just noticed the McDonald's at Park & B is closed and fencing is up around the entire block.

Slight expansion and renovation. Bums are probably pissed.

JerellO
Sep 27, 2018, 9:05 AM
https://www.google.com/amp/www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/tourism/sd-fi-whole-foods-downtown-20180924-story,amp.html

So Whole Foods is out, ughhh good job NIMBYs! Maybe a Sprouts hopefully? Or Trader Joe’s

iReserve
Sep 27, 2018, 1:34 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/tourism/sd-fi-whole-foods-downtown-20180924-story,amp.html

So Whole Foods is out, ughhh good job NIMBYs! Maybe a Sprouts hopefully? Or Trader Joe’s

Gelson's, according to Cisterra's website

Streamliner
Sep 27, 2018, 3:46 PM
Anyone know why they destroyed the facade of that one movie theater on 6th and G street?? :( I loved the architecture and now it’s this modern white looking thingy. Sad.

That's going to be the new TCL Chinese Theater (a spinoff of the old Graumann's Chinese Theater in Hollywood). I'm just glad it's going to be something again after closing down.

https://sandiego.eater.com/2017/3/15/14934090/gaslamp-luxury-movie-theatre-box-sugar-factory-landshark

Streamliner
Sep 27, 2018, 4:14 PM

This is odd. Must have just happened. They are still listed on Google, Yelp, and the corporate website as open. The telephone contact number doesn't connect. I haven't heard anything about this parcel, perhaps they just went out of business?

mello
Sep 27, 2018, 4:53 PM
Just read the full article on the Ritz Carlton project they said they are they have to secure financing again and will break ground "in middle of next year". Let's hope this economy holds for a few more months so they can break ground. I'm worried things might get too shaky and investors could reign in lending big time.

As far as the McDonald's goes I know the lot just west of it on same block is approved for a 36 story tower but I suppose the investor has not been able to secure financing. Too bad that whole block can't get redone.

I was done at Manchester Pacific Gateway and wow that site is humming with activity. Also was at the Jacobs medical Center across from UCSD and good lord is that area booming! I think there are like 7 cranes huge amounts of earth being moved it is a construction bonanza when you also take in to account the light rail line.

Streamliner
Sep 27, 2018, 8:27 PM
Just read the full article on the Ritz Carlton project they said they are they have to secure financing again and will break ground "in middle of next year". Let's hope this economy holds for a few more months so they can break ground. I'm worried things might get too shaky and investors could reign in lending big time.

As far as the McDonald's goes I know the lot just west of it on same block is approved for a 36 story tower but I suppose the investor has not been able to secure financing. Too bad that whole block can't get redone.

I was done at Manchester Pacific Gateway and wow that site is humming with activity. Also was at the Jacobs medical Center across from UCSD and good lord is that area booming! I think there are like 7 cranes huge amounts of earth being moved it is a construction bonanza when you also take in to account the light rail line.

UCSD is working on a ton of projects right now on both sides of the 5. I'm most excited for the new Sixth College development on the western end of campus. They have a few videos of their ultimate plans here:

https://plandesignbuild.ucsd.edu/projects/videos.html#North-Torrey-Pines-Living-and-L

HurricaneHugo
Sep 29, 2018, 1:03 AM
Bosa to develop the crusty old library site on E.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/real-estate/sd-fi-bosa-library-20180926-story.html

TLDR; CivicSD/Council expected to approve in November, with construction expected around 2020-21.

Stats: 42 stories, 420', 392 rentals, ground floor commercial.
Subject to change of course (yes, the design will be prettier, folks)

Of course there's people who want to preserve the old library.

Ugh.

But a 42 story right there is perfect, that area needs height

SDCAL
Sep 29, 2018, 2:13 AM
Gelson's, according to Cisterra's website

Interesting. I thought maybe they would work something out with Jimbos due to the HP project which seems like it will be along the same timeframe. I don’t really consider Gelsons to be “upscale,” it’s similar to Ralph’s. Too bad about WF.

Nv_2897
Sep 29, 2018, 7:22 AM
Can't wait till Pacific Gate's companion tower gets built
https://i.imgur.com/HMZhZQE.jpg

Northparkwizard
Sep 29, 2018, 5:12 PM
Interesting. I thought maybe they would work something out with Jimbos due to the HP project which seems like it will be along the same timeframe. I don’t really consider Gelsons to be “upscale,” it’s similar to Ralph’s. Too bad about WF.

Gelson's is a luxury grocery store and marketed as such. I don't remember the last time I've seen a wine/craft beer bar and a sushi bar at my local Ralphs. I was at the Gelson's Del Mar location a few months back and an employee approached me in the wine section and introduced themselves as the store's sommelier.

I think they'll fit in just fine.

SDCAL
Sep 30, 2018, 12:20 AM
Gelson's is a luxury grocery store and marketed as such. I don't remember the last time I've seen a wine/craft beer bar and a sushi bar at my local Ralphs. I was at the Gelson's Del Mar location a few months back and an employee approached me in the wine section and introduced themselves as the store's sommelier.

I think they'll fit in just fine.

I haven’t been to the one in Del Mar but I’ve been to several in the LA area and they are typical big box stores maybe a little nicer than a Ralph’s or Albertsons. They can throw some wine bars or grocery store sushi on the side, but the interior of the store sells the same products as Ralph’s and Albertsons which both already exist downtown.

WF and Jimbos are more concentrated on organics/healthier products and they carry a lot of things I don’t see at the typical big box stores.

I think a Trader Joe’s would be better than Gelson’s, again because it carries different products than the big box stores. I know I’ll still drive to Jimbos/WF/TJs even though I live a couple blocks away from 7th/Market, just personal preference on the types of products I buy. Jimbos has hands down the best produce of any grocery store, I’m really hoping the new HP development is able to work them into the retail section

Northparkwizard
Sep 30, 2018, 4:26 PM
I haven’t been to the one in Del Mar but I’ve been to several in the LA area and they are typical big box stores maybe a little nicer than a Ralph’s or Albertsons. They can throw some wine bars or grocery store sushi on the side, but the interior of the store sells the same products as Ralph’s and Albertsons which both already exist downtown.

WF and Jimbos are more concentrated on organics/healthier products and they carry a lot of things I don’t see at the typical big box stores.

I think a Trader Joe’s would be better than Gelson’s, again because it carries different products than the big box stores. I know I’ll still drive to Jimbos/WF/TJs even though I live a couple blocks away from 7th/Market, just personal preference on the types of products I buy. Jimbos has hands down the best produce of any grocery store, I’m really hoping the new HP development is able to work them into the retail section

This wasn't my experience in the least, Ralphs and Albertsons comparison? The LA stores must be very different.

For what it's worth you shouldn't buy produce at WF they royally fuck over local growers, go a farmers market (they have them everyday of the week)or Pancho Villa.

SDCAL
Sep 30, 2018, 10:00 PM
This wasn't my experience in the least, Ralphs and Albertsons comparison? The LA stores must be very different.

For what it's worth you shouldn't buy produce at WF they royally fuck over local growers, go a farmers market (they have them everyday of the week)or Pancho Villa.

The ones I went to in LA were older stores, maybe that has something to do with it. I agree about WF produce, I don’t buy it there I just buy certain other products. I go to Jimbos (seems to be high quality compared to other stores) and also have a box subscription with a local farm (I eat tons of produce and am picky about the quality :) )

The grocery store isn’t as important as the hotel, I’m glad Ritz is sticking with the project. I’m excited to see this one get off the ground. Over a decade downtown and that prime spot has been a surface parking lot the entire time!

Speaking of grocery stores, does anyone know anything about the parcel at 10th and Market where Grocery Outlet is? Any plans to do something with that since it’s a one-story building with a parking lot? With the tower going up next to it at park/market seems like it’s a waste of space (although the Gorcery Outlet appears to be busy).

IconRPCV
Sep 30, 2018, 11:50 PM
The ones I went to in LA were older stores, maybe that has something to do with it. I agree about WF produce, I don’t buy it there I just buy certain other products. I go to Jimbos (seems to be high quality compared to other stores) and also have a box subscription with a local farm (I eat tons of produce and am picky about the quality :) )

The grocery store isn’t as important as the hotel, I’m glad Ritz is sticking with the project. I’m excited to see this one get off the ground. Over a decade downtown and that prime spot has been a surface parking lot the entire time!

Speaking of grocery stores, does anyone know anything about the parcel at 10th and Market where Grocery Outlet is? Any plans to do something with that since it’s a one-story building with a parking lot? With the tower going up next to it at park/market seems like it’s a waste of space (although the Gorcery Outlet appears to be busy).

Grocery outlet is really good, I was all turning up my nose to it and then a friend forced me to check it out. It is like a more budget Trader Joe's, good prices and products. As to the Gelson's discussion, it is very upscale, yet not too horribly overpriced. Definitely a league or two beyond an Albertson's or a Ralphs.

SDCAL
Oct 1, 2018, 1:55 AM
Grocery outlet is really good, I was all turning up my nose to it and then a friend forced me to check it out. It is like a more budget Trader Joe's, good prices and products. As to the Gelson's discussion, it is very upscale, yet not too horribly overpriced. Definitely a league or two beyond an Albertson's or a Ralphs.

I’ve heard they are good for prices but the bad thing is they tend to be very transient with the products they get in, I think that’s how they offer such low prices. A couple times they had some things I normally get at WF for a much cheaper price, but they only had them for a month or so and then never had them again. They must get deals on overstock items.

I’m sure it’s a great market for downtown, I just wish it was in the ground floor of a high rise. It’s in a single story building with a surface parking lot that seems to be a waste of a prime parcel of land. That’s why I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of future plans with that site.

iReserve
Oct 1, 2018, 2:32 AM
I’ve heard they are good for prices but the bad thing is they tend to be very transient with the products they get in, I think that’s how they offer such low prices. A couple times they had some things I normally get at WF for a much cheaper price, but they only had them for a month or so and then never had them again. They must get deals on overstock items.

I’m sure it’s a great market for downtown, I just wish it was in the ground floor of a high rise. It’s in a single story building with a surface parking lot that seems to be a waste of a prime parcel of land. That’s why I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of future plans with that site.

SDUT 3/11/2016:
"Bosa Development has bought a downtown block on Market Street, bringing to more than $133 million the Canadian company’s latest local acquisitions.

The property at 1002 Market St. was sold in a series of transactions involving Zephyr Partners and a previous owner, Steven Gordon, who planned a 30-story, 117-unit condo tower several years ago."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/growth-development/sdut-market-bosa-condos-sale-2016mar11-story,amp.html

SDCAL
Oct 1, 2018, 7:06 AM
Thanks, iReserve. I didn’t realize Bosa owns that land. Will be interesting to see what they do with it.

HurricaneHugo
Oct 1, 2018, 8:26 AM
, go a farmers market (they have them everyday of the week)or Pancho Villa.

Didn't Pancho Villa get closed for a bit for health code violations?

Nv_2897
Oct 1, 2018, 9:35 PM
SDUT 3/11/2016:
"Bosa Development has bought a downtown block on Market Street, bringing to more than $133 million the Canadian company’s latest local acquisitions.

The property at 1002 Market St. was sold in a series of transactions involving Zephyr Partners and a previous owner, Steven Gordon, who planned a 30-story, 117-unit condo tower several years ago."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/growth-development/sdut-market-bosa-condos-sale-2016mar11-story,amp.html

I wonder how many total lots bosa owns in downtown

mello
Oct 2, 2018, 12:49 AM
Nv_2897 : Regarding the BOSA tower opposite of Pacific Gate at the end of Broadway, I'm a bit worried that we haven't heard anything about this one. I was hoping there would have been an announcement that it is breaking ground in 2019. Did you guys see the article that BOSA won an agreement with the city to put a tower on the lot where the old Library sits? It said groundbreaking early 2020.

So do all of you guys think the economy is going to hold until late 2020, just put in to google: Recession 2020 and tons of mainstream sources are talking about it. No way Trump gets relected if there is a recession right? :shrug:

Dale
Oct 2, 2018, 1:18 AM
Nv_2897 : Regarding the BOSA tower opposite of Pacific Gate at the end of Broadway, I'm a bit worried that we haven't heard anything about this one. I was hoping there would have been an announcement that it is breaking ground in 2019. Did you guys see the article that BOSA won an agreement with the city to put a tower on the lot where the old Library sits? It said groundbreaking early 2020.

So do all of you guys think the economy is going to hold until late 2020, just put in to google: Recession 2020 and tons of mainstream sources are talking about it. No way Trump gets relected if there is a recession right? :shrug:

Oh, I don't know. Presently, the economy is booming and it looks like dems will take the house.

S.DviaPhilly
Oct 2, 2018, 2:15 AM
Jimbos has hands down the best produce of any grocery store, I’m really hoping the new HP development is able to work them into the retail section

I heard that Jimbos, Macys, and 24 hour fitness are all staying at Horton

HurricaneHugo
Oct 2, 2018, 5:42 AM
Also isn't 24 hour fitness moving to the Macy's in Mission valley mall?

Steadfast
Oct 2, 2018, 6:49 AM
I would be so happy to see Macy's maintain a presence in the new development. I thought for sure it would close shop..
But having a department store like that downtown is incredibly useful for residents & people who work in the area.
I just hope they open the place up and give it more street exposure...

SDCAL
Oct 3, 2018, 2:35 AM
I would be so happy to see Macy's maintain a presence in the new development. I thought for sure it would close shop..
But having a department store like that downtown is incredibly useful for residents & people who work in the area.
I just hope they open the place up and give it more street exposure...

I agree 100%. Major downtowns I’ve been to have department stores, and not necessarily as part of a mall.

Having both Jimbos and Macy’s stay would be fantastic.

As for 24 hour fitness, I’m kind of surprised they would stay. This project seems to be looking for up-scale places for people who will work there to use and 24 hour fitness isn’t really known for corporate fitness but more
For economy family fitness. I would have thought they’d try something like equinox (which I think is going into the old Sears building in UTC).

SDCAL
Oct 3, 2018, 2:36 AM

That’s great news! Is it public somewhere or did you hear from inside sources??

S.DviaPhilly
Oct 3, 2018, 6:46 PM
That’s great news! Is it public somewhere or did you hear from inside sources??

I go to that 24 hour every so often and I asked where are you moving to since Horton was bought out and they said we are staying along with Macys and Jimbos and then a colleague of mine said same thing.

Also, heard a little rumor that the location of the Grocery Outlet on 10th and Market is going to be Bosa's next development. But again just a rumor I heard

SDfan
Oct 3, 2018, 8:57 PM
Also, heard a little rumor that the location of the Grocery Outlet on 10th and Market is going to be Bosa's next development. But again just a rumor I heard

Nooooooo I love Grocery Outlet. :(

azsunsurfer
Oct 3, 2018, 9:59 PM
Nooooooo I love Grocery Outlet. :(

That 24 hour needs a solid refurbishment/ cleaning/ gutting. The place feels like it has been property maintained for years. Also annoys me they just let the homeless wander around. I agree with the fact I wish they would attract a nicer fitness facility to Horton.

Nv_2897
Oct 5, 2018, 2:21 AM
Does anyone know what will happen to the old courthouse now that the new one has been built will it be demolished and sold or will the city keep it?
Also why has the Two America plaza site been vacant for so long
https://i.imgur.com/mq7ih4A.jpg
Imagery courtesy of Google Maps.

Northparkwizard
Oct 5, 2018, 3:57 AM
Does anyone know what will happen to the old courthouse now that the new one has been built will it be demolished and sold or will the city keep it?

Yes, it will be sold.

The Flying Dutchman
Oct 5, 2018, 9:40 AM

The answer to that is that the County of S.D. sold that parcel to the Holland Group, same developer currently erecting the UCSD/Park/Market project. Holland plans to redevelop that site into mixed-use. Saw details somewhere recently, can't recall now.

Northparkwizard
Oct 5, 2018, 11:17 PM
Block F Makers Quarter full drawings. (http://civicsd.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Item-6-Block-F-Drawings.pdf)

https://i.imgur.com/EDVyiZV.jpg

Streamliner
Oct 5, 2018, 11:26 PM
Block F Makers Quarter full drawings. (http://civicsd.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Item-6-Block-F-Drawings.pdf)

The low-rise buildings look good, but the high-rise leaves a lot to be desired.

joemamma
Oct 6, 2018, 3:51 PM

https://i.imgur.com/EDVyiZV.jpg

This should be ready about the same time as East Village Green Park across the street, no? That'd be a nice addition to that part of town.

The Flying Dutchman
Oct 7, 2018, 2:45 AM
Regarding the EV Green park timeline:

https://civicsd.com/departments/planning/parks-and-open-space-overview/current-park-projects/east-village-green/

mello
Oct 7, 2018, 8:45 PM
Just saw a photo of skyline in the business section of UT for the weekly Sunday "Econometer" feature. It looks like its taken from a drown or helicopter from above Nasco just over the bay looking down on Tenth Ave Marine terminal. The photo is probably taken from 200 to 300 feet above the bay and it makes SD look very dense and impressive.

I've noticed this is probably the best angle when driving on the Coronado bridge at the beginning "West End" of the span. The density of East Village looks chunky and you can see most of the major towers and how they all come together from this shot.

If anyone has a drone can you try to take some videos and pics on a clear day coming up this fall from that angle? I know it may be illegal to take a drone up that close the Navy Base but if you went to that little park in Barrio Logan on the bay and did it from the fishing pier quickly I'm sure no one would notice. Thanks in advance :cheers:

Steadfast
Oct 8, 2018, 5:42 AM
Just saw a photo of skyline in the business section of UT for the weekly Sunday "Econometer" feature. It looks like its taken from a drown or helicopter from above Nasco just over the bay looking down on Tenth Ave Marine terminal. The photo is probably taken from 200 to 300 feet above the bay and it makes SD look very dense and impressive.

I've noticed this is probably the best angle when driving on the Coronado bridge at the beginning "West End" of the span. The density of East Village looks chunky and you can see most of the major towers and how they all come together from this shot.

If anyone has a drone can you try to take some videos and pics on a clear day coming up this fall from that angle? I know it may be illegal to take a drone up that close the Navy Base but if you went to that little park in Barrio Logan on the bay and did it from the fishing pier quickly I'm sure no one would notice. Thanks in advance :cheers:

I was just thinking the same thing today, as I drove back over the bridge. The Eastern view of the city is my favorite by far.
It gives a way better sense of depth to the downtown & shows off the multitude of mid-rise buildings in the core, that otherwise get hidden behind the waterfront towers.

psychotron
Oct 8, 2018, 7:44 AM

http://www.trbimg.com/img-5bb79cfb/turbine/sd-1538759927-c3duqax20h-snap-image/900/900x506

spoonman
Oct 8, 2018, 6:04 PM
That picture looks to be a number of years old. Lots of towers missing.

Nv_2897
Oct 9, 2018, 3:27 AM
I've got to say that the skyline has changed quite a bit since 2008 and there is still a lot that has to be built.
December 2008
https://i.imgur.com/LD4zLzA.png
April 2018
https://i.imgur.com/EYHQcGS.png

Image courtesy of Google maps

Boatguy619
Oct 9, 2018, 10:48 PM
from South Bay last week, the plateau is almost complete from every angle.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1933/44301012225_86106cb6fe.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2auJgvB)2018-10-09_03-42-51 (https://flic.kr/p/2auJgvB) by kevinbeatty (https://www.flickr.com/photos/29362128@N08/), on Flickr

embora
Oct 10, 2018, 5:15 AM
I noticed there is a fence around the McDonald's on Park Boulevard, between A and B Streets. Does anyone know what might be happening?

Will O' Wisp
Oct 12, 2018, 2:24 AM
I noticed there is a fence around the McDonald's on Park Boulevard, between A and B Streets. Does anyone know what might be happening?

I wish I had more exciting news, but they're building a surface parking lot. But at least that's a temporary measure, soon enough a 22 story residential tower is planned to go on the site.

HurricaneHugo
Oct 12, 2018, 6:09 AM
Does anybody know what happened to the tall tower on G street and 17th? Right next to the 94 entrance?

That area needs some height!

SDfan
Oct 12, 2018, 5:54 PM
I wish I had more exciting news, but they're building a surface parking lot. But at least that's a temporary measure, soon enough a 22 story residential tower is planned to go on the site.

Wait, what? I thought it was a renovation of the McD's. Civic reviewed and approved last year from what I understood.

http://civicsd.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/2017-06_NOFD_09.29.17.pdf

Will O' Wisp
Oct 12, 2018, 6:48 PM
Wait, what? I thought it was a renovation of the McD's. Civic reviewed and approved last year from what I understood.

http://civicsd.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/2017-06_NOFD_09.29.17.pdf

Well I was going by this application so I don't know what the heck is going on

http://civicsd.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/NOA-Pacific-Heights-Surface-Parking-Lot-3.10.17.pdf

SDfan
Oct 12, 2018, 6:54 PM
Well I was going by this application so I don't know what the heck is going on

http://civicsd.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/NOA-Pacific-Heights-Surface-Parking-Lot-3.10.17.pdf

Ah. Yes. Pinnacle's tower is on the west side of the block. McDonald's reno is on the east side.

embora
Oct 12, 2018, 7:00 PM
Thank you SD Fan and Will O' Wisp.

SDfan
Oct 12, 2018, 7:14 PM
Just some photos I took last night in the EV.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c24/SDfan12/Public/IMG_20181011_175924.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/SDfan12/media/Public/IMG_20181011_175924.jpg.html)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c24/SDfan12/Public/IMG_20181011_180344.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/SDfan12/media/Public/IMG_20181011_180344.jpg.html)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c24/SDfan12/Public/IMG_20181011_180038.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/SDfan12/media/Public/IMG_20181011_180038.jpg.html)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c24/SDfan12/Public/IMG_20181011_180441.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/SDfan12/media/Public/IMG_20181011_180441.jpg.html)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c24/SDfan12/Public/IMG_20181011_181057.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/SDfan12/media/Public/IMG_20181011_181057.jpg.html)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c24/SDfan12/Public/IMG_20181011_181315.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/SDfan12/media/Public/IMG_20181011_181315.jpg.html)

Will O' Wisp
Oct 12, 2018, 7:27 PM
Ah. Yes. Pinnacle's tower is on the west side of the block. McDonald's reno is on the east side.

I'm surprised McD's is making the effort, it's just a matter of time until someone comes along and offers them a boatload of money for the parcel.

SDfan
Oct 12, 2018, 7:57 PM
I'm surprised McD's is making the effort, it's just a matter of time until someone comes along and offers them a boatload of money for the parcel.

I know, right? It seems counterintuitive. Then again, they'd be dumb to let go of the location. Downtown's community plan bans new drive thru restaurants. If they let go, they'd be zoned out of the neighborhood.

Jack In The Box on C and 11th was denied a rebuild permit years ago because of that design guideline. They overcame it by applying for a reno, which let them keep their drive thru.

Plus that MD location is corp owned, so they're less likely to fall for a land deal, whereas a franchise owner would probably think quick, high profit over long term investment.

Streamliner
Oct 12, 2018, 9:55 PM
Ron Roberts really likes his gondolas:

Airport skyway could provide connection to downtown San Diego, study says
Link to Article (http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/growth-development/sd-fi-airport-skwyay-20181012-story.html)
October 12, 2018
San Diego Union-Tribune

http://www.trbimg.com/img-5bbfa8f3/turbine/sd-1539287277-i77b644srx-snap-image/750/750x422
An unconventional mode of urban transit is being floated in front of city leaders and regional agencies as a solution to connect airport travelers to San Diego’s downtown area.

More recognizable as a ski lift or gondola, an aerial cableway system is the best answer to the airport’s in-and-out transportation woes, according to County Supervisor Ron Roberts. His office commissioned a report to study the feasibility of using a so-called “skyway” to get people from the Convention Center to San Diego International Airport, and vice versa, with a handful of stops at various points along Harbor Drive.

The report cost $75,000 and was prepared by consulting firm WSP Global with help from the San Diego Association of Governments. It was recently shared with the mayor’s office, the Port of San Diego, the San Diego Regional Airport Authority and other agencies in an effort to prompt interest — and action.

It comes as the airport wraps up an environmental review for a proposed $3 billion redevelopment, which critics say will increase traffic congestion on Harbor Drive.

“What we wanted to do is put something on the table,” Roberts said. “We really wanted to force (the airport) to engage. If not this, then at least give us a solution.”

The downtown-to-airport skyway is not only feasible but the most practical option, he said, citing the report’s findings.

The report found that a skyway system that follows Harbor Drive from Fifth Avenue at the Convention Center to the airport would cost from $230 million to $300 million to build, and an additional $11 million to $12 million to operate annually. It could transport up to 2,400 passengers per hour, per direction in enclosed eight- to 12-passenger cabins. The skyway would also allow for direct connections to bus, train and trolley stations, as well as offer easy walking access to hotels, Seaport Village and other downtown attractions.

The roughly 25-minute route would start with a passenger station at Harbor and Fifth Avenue, then travel northwest along Harbor Drive with stops at First Avenue and near Kettner Boulevard. The system would then turn north at Kettner and continue toward Sante Fe Depot with a station at the intersection of Kettner and Broadway. Then, the skyway would head west along Broadway and stop again at Broadway at Harbor. Finally, it would travel along Harbor Drive to the airport, using several turning towers to navigate directional changes, and culminate with stops at Terminal 1 and Terminal 2.

JerellO
Oct 12, 2018, 10:21 PM
Wow a 25 min ride?? Hahaha it’s shorter to take an uber from downtown

Will O' Wisp
Oct 12, 2018, 10:29 PM
Ron Roberts really likes his gondolas:

Airport skyway could provide connection to downtown San Diego, study says
Link to Article (http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/growth-development/sd-fi-airport-skwyay-20181012-story.html)
October 12, 2018
San Diego Union-Tribune

I can't imagine how he'll ever manage to get this through, that routing is almost purpose built to piss off every possible type of NIMBY in downtown. You're doing to go up harbor dr (which is fine I suppose), then up Kettner directly alongside the arch NIMBYs of Park Row with a relativity tall and visually intrusive structure between them and the bay, clog up the trolley tracks with construction right as the come into the Santa Fe depot as you cross Broadway, turn north to pass right in front of the two brand new hotels at Lane Field and screw up their pricey views of the waterfront, continue along to put a nice big separation between the County Admin building park and the harbor when these days there are already demanding Harbor Dr be closed down because it's too intrusive, and as a kiss off potentially interfere with the Coast Guard's access to Lindbergh. Oh, and unless you want everyone walking a few hundred feet from Harbor Dr to the terminals you'll have to worm it through the airport's new $300 million dollar access roadways.

I honestly don't get it, going from Harbor to PCH then back to Harbor at Grape or Hawthorn would avoid so many of the potential community objections and save years of lawsuits.

spoonman
Oct 12, 2018, 10:42 PM
Cute idea for Balboa Park. A ridiculous idea for a major city’s public transit though.

Derek
Oct 12, 2018, 11:54 PM
Cute idea for Balboa Park. A ridiculous idea for a major city’s public transit though.

Is it though? (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_Aerial_Tram) :P

Steadfast
Oct 13, 2018, 7:08 AM
Is it though? (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_Aerial_Tram) :P

IMO, I think this idea is ridiculous.
If the route to the airport had some major elevation gains... Then maybe. But as it is, it's just a tacky dodge to avoid having to do some real civic planning. The city needs to find a way to get the trolley to the airport.

Boatguy619
Oct 13, 2018, 5:17 PM
Theres already a trolly stop less than a quarter mile from the runway, thats closer than most cities. Connect the Washington st stop and the rental car center to the terminal via a people mover not an entirely new trolly line. I like the gondola idea to Balboa Park, Coronado Island, maybe even to Pacific Beach from the new Balboa trolly stop. I think it's a great way to move tourist traffic. Seems like a cheap alternative, less of an eyesore, and offers great views.

Will O' Wisp
Oct 14, 2018, 5:51 AM
IMO, I think this idea is ridiculous.
If the route to the airport had some major elevation gains... Then maybe. But as it is, it's just a tacky dodge to avoid having to do some real civic planning. The city needs to find a way to get the trolley to the airport.

The route to the airport is completely and totally flat, but an aerial tram would sidestep the primary problem with getting the trolley directly to the airport terminals: crossing the freight train rail-line between the blue line and the waterfront. You can't run directly across it, since heavy rail and light rail can't share the same right of way safely, and you can't shut the line down (even temporarily for construction) since that would cut off the port and the navy base's primary means of transporting goods. So the only option is to build a grade separated crossing, which would almost assuredly be below grade, while thousands of tons of freight pass overhead every night. It's actually completely possible from an engineering standpoint, similar projects have been done elsewhere, but the additional cost completely screws up the value proposition. If SANDAG had the billion dollars it'd take just laying around they'd build a trolley line from Downtown to North Park or from PB to the 15 instead.

There are still a ton of problems with an aerial tram though. It's a bright idea, but there's a lot more issues with this than just construction cost.

edit: Found the feasibility study itself, it self acknowledges that it doesn't fully cover potential community and environmental concerns. (https://mediaassets.10news.com/document/2018/10/12/Downtown-AirportSkywayFeasibilityStudy-September%202018_100319181_ver1.0.pdf)

Nv_2897
Oct 20, 2018, 11:41 PM
Does anyone know what will be developed at the Marina Inn suites and the lot behind it because i saw that both lots are fenced off for both and on yelp and google reviews it says that it Marina Inn is closed
https://i.imgur.com/TGceJdM.png
https://i.imgur.com/aNrgHKI.jpg

Imagery Credit to Google Maps

Will O' Wisp
Oct 21, 2018, 5:51 PM
Does anyone know what will be developed at the Marina Inn suites and the lot behind it because i saw that both lots are fenced off for both and on yelp and google reviews it says that it Marina Inn is closed
https://i.imgur.com/TGceJdM.png
https://i.imgur.com/aNrgHKI.jpg

Imagery Credit to Google Maps

Let me tell you, I love https://sandiego.urbdezine.com/development-map/ for all those "what the heck is going up on that lot" moments. But to answer your question, it's a brand new set of luxury apartments (https://www.sdbj.com/news/2016/feb/17/little-italy-luxury-apartments-planned-after-15-mi/)

Nv_2897
Oct 22, 2018, 1:53 AM
Let me tell you, I love https://sandiego.urbdezine.com/development-map/ for all those "what the heck is going up on that lot" moments. But to answer your question, it's a brand new set of luxury apartments (https://www.sdbj.com/news/2016/feb/17/little-italy-luxury-apartments-planned-after-15-mi/)

^ Ok Thank you lol. I do use the development map it just doesn't say anything for the marina inn.

Streamliner
Oct 22, 2018, 3:11 PM

So all I could find on this is that the property was sold twice in the last year:

https://www.sdbj.com/news/2017/oct/04/redevelopment-planned-after-95m-downtown-hotel-pur/

https://www.sdbj.com/news/2018/jun/27/little-italy-property-sold-121m/ (https://www.sdbj.com/news/2018/jun/27/little-italy-property-sold-121m/)

Will likely be redeveloped by the new owners. No plans available yet (that I can find).

Nv_2897
Oct 23, 2018, 12:08 AM
So all I could find on this is that the property was sold twice in the last year:

https://www.sdbj.com/news/2017/oct/04/redevelopment-planned-after-95m-downtown-hotel-pur/

https://www.sdbj.com/news/2018/jun/27/little-italy-property-sold-121m/ (https://www.sdbj.com/news/2018/jun/27/little-italy-property-sold-121m/)

Will likely be redeveloped by the new owners. No plans available yet (that I can find).
^ Thank you!

HurricaneHugo
Oct 23, 2018, 6:35 AM

Wait the construction at 11th and Market is a 36 floor tower?!

Does anybody know if that's going up first or the 6 story towers?

Will O' Wisp
Oct 29, 2018, 5:52 PM
Here's some fun (semi-recent) news for the thread!

-Lindburgh's Terminal 1 development timeline was thrown into disarray after the port, the city, and SANDAG threw a fit over the traffic impacts of the EIR. Essentially this is a fight over who has to pay, with the outside agencies arguing that since the airport is causing the traffic it should have to fund the necessary road improvements and the airport replying that longstanding federal regulations that forbid airport funds from being used for off-property projects (airports are considered national assets and receive federal funding, so the FAA seeks to avoid revenues diversion and underfunding crises like the one the NYC Subway is currently experiencing).

Never having done so in the past, the FAA is unlikely to budge on the issue and since the traffic so going to come regardless of if the new terminal is built or not a CEQA battle is probably a lost cause for the airport's opponents. But the airport will have to perform some due diligence by getting a formal letter from the FAA stating precisely what it can and cannot fund off airport (hint: it's not a lot) and perform a cost/benefit study on a peoplemover from the terminals to the nearest trolley station (given there's already a free shuttle that drops people off across the street, a $600 mil project probably won't be worth it but we'll see). From what I've heard it'll be 6 months to a year added to all the project timelines.

-The City Council is considering amending how historic districts are proposed and approved. This one has been roughly a year in the making, but has received surprisingly little press. In 2017 as part of the overall effort the update community plans citywide the city completed the first real citywide survey of historic resources (think: a database of when every building in the city was built). The Historic Resources Board, a city department in charge of proposing and approving new historic districts, got ahold of this survey and promptly began a campaign to designate as many new districts as possible (a lot of which just happen to be sections of single family housing threatened by new multifamily development). Note I said in charge of both proposing and approving new historic districts, the division does require any form of approval from the planning department or even effected property owners to designate a new historic district, which once implemented requires a lengthy and expensive permitting process just to conduct simple renovations like replacing window frames or doors.

It all came to a head last September when the Board designated virtually all of South Park a historic district with virtually no notification to the effected homeowners, and when a few appealed to the City Council the CC discovered even they had very little authority to deny the Board if it had followed the extremely broad guidelines for designating a district. The CC was understandably miffed and ordered the Board to halt its campaign, freezing the designation of an extremely controversial historic district that would have prevented any redevelopment on Park Blvd north of Balboa (an area of mostly low rises along a future trolley line). The new rules would require much greater notification to property owners, hand final approval over the planning dept, and if the majority of effected property owner object would only allow the designation if the area represents an “exceptional important” historic resource.

Streamliner
Oct 29, 2018, 9:15 PM
Here's some fun (semi-recent) news for the thread!

-Lindburgh's Terminal 1 development timeline was thrown into disarray after the port, the city, and SANDAG threw a fit over the traffic impacts of the EIR. Essentially this is a fight over who has to pay, with the outside agencies arguing that since the airport is causing the traffic it should have to fund the necessary road improvements and the airport replying that longstanding federal regulations that forbid airport funds from being used for off-property projects (airports are considered national assets and receive federal funding, so the FAA seeks to avoid revenues diversion and underfunding crises like the one the NYC Subway is currently experiencing).

Never having done so in the past, the FAA is unlikely to budge on the issue and since the traffic so going to come regardless of if the new terminal is built or not a CEQA battle is probably a lost cause for the airport's opponents. But the airport will have to perform some due diligence by getting a formal letter from the FAA stating precisely what it can and cannot fund off airport (hint: it's not a lot) and perform a cost/benefit study on a peoplemover from the terminals to the nearest trolley station (given there's already a free shuttle that drops people off across the street, a $600 mil project probably won't be worth it but we'll see). From what I've heard it'll be 6 months to a year added to all the project timelines.

-The City Council is considering amending how historic districts are proposed and approved. This one has been roughly a year in the making, but has received surprisingly little press. In 2017 as part of the overall effort the update community plans citywide the city completed the first real citywide survey of historic resources (think: a database of when every building in the city was built). The Historic Resources Board, a city department in charge of proposing and approving new historic districts, got ahold of this survey and promptly began a campaign to designate as many new districts as possible (a lot of which just happen to be sections of single family housing threatened by new multifamily development). Note I said in charge of both proposing and approving new historic districts, the division does require any form of approval from the planning department or even effected property owners to designate a new historic district, which once implemented requires a lengthy and expensive permitting process just to conduct simple renovations like replacing window frames or doors.

It all came to a head last September when the Board designated virtually all of South Park a historic district with virtually no notification to the effected homeowners, and when a few appealed to the City Council the CC discovered even they had very little authority to deny the Board if it had followed the extremely broad guidelines for designating a district. The CC was understandably miffed and ordered the Board to halt its campaign, freezing the designation of an extremely controversial historic district that would have prevented any redevelopment on Park Blvd north of Balboa (an area of mostly low rises along a future trolley line). The new rules would require much greater notification to property owners, hand final approval over the planning dept, and if the majority of effected property owner object would only allow the designation if the area represents an “exceptional important” historic resource.

Thanks for this! I'd been following the Airport case a little bit, but I like this background regarding the FAA's role. Regarding the off-site traffic issues, I really think that MTS and the Airport would really benefit from a well-funded outreach/,marketing campaign to help locals and tourists alike familiarize themselves with the existing transit options.

Nv_2897
Oct 30, 2018, 12:00 AM
Redevelopment of the Us Bank Building.
UT Article: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/growth-development/sd-fi-kettnerash-spaces-20181029-story.html
Before
https://i.imgur.com/AYe2xoC.png
After
https://i.imgur.com/W4hfSbl.jpg
Imagery Credit to San Diego Union Tribune and Google Maps

Nv_2897
Oct 30, 2018, 3:09 AM
Quick Question why is it once you reach Ariel little Italy the high-rises in Sd seem to stop I know it has to do with FAA restrictions but I would imagine it would be a gradual height drop not going from 300ft to 40ft (Visual guess) or is it just a lack of high-rise development in the surrounding area, or the character of the neighborhood?
https://i.imgur.com/MWiLq1t.png
Credit to google maps for the images

Will O' Wisp
Oct 30, 2018, 5:41 PM
Quick Question why is it once you reach Ariel little Italy the high-rises in Sd seem to stop I know it has to do with FAA restrictions but I would imagine it would be a gradual height drop not going from 300ft to 40ft (Visual guess) or is it just a lack of high-rise development in the surrounding area, or the character of the neighborhood?
https://i.imgur.com/MWiLq1t.png
Credit to google maps for the images

Height limits set by the city. Look up 'Little Italy Sun Access Overlay'.

Nv_2897
Oct 30, 2018, 10:34 PM
Height limits set by the city. Look up 'Little Italy Sun Access Overlay'.
^Thank you!

Will O' Wisp
Nov 4, 2018, 6:30 PM
There's a new update on the Seaport Village redo and it's looking pretty insane.

http://www.trbimg.com/img-5bdcbaf5/turbine/sd-1541192432-bzyahkfydn-snap-image/750/750x422

http://www.trbimg.com/img-5bdcbbfc/turbine/sd-1541192694-uzc0v9o43m-snap-image/1550/1550x872

http://www.trbimg.com/img-5bdcbd77/turbine/sd-1541193075-dyd4t25jv8-snap-image/1550/1550x872

http://www.trbimg.com/img-5bdcbcc0/turbine/sd-1541192892-39kay0ea8i-snap-image/1550/1550x872

http://www.trbimg.com/img-5bdcbb82/turbine/sd-1541192574-z2ixslvo9i-snap-image/750/750x422

You can read all the details here. (http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/growth-development/sd-fi-seaport-sandiego-20181104-story.html)

Nv_2897
Nov 5, 2018, 3:29 AM
^I saw the changes and i was like WOAH! The spire looks pretty insane I wonder if the Park Row apartments will sue on this project

HurricaneHugo
Nov 5, 2018, 5:07 AM
Well that spire sure would be iconic...

ArquitectoMontenegro
Nov 5, 2018, 7:05 PM
Did anyone read the article and notice that they said the spire would replace Ruocco Park? Ruocco Park is barely 6 years old and they are already planning on getting rid of it- I don't understand how the Seaport Village re-do planners can assume this is ok. Not to mention that privatizing public space is infuriating in itself...

And why isn't there a residential component? With the whole Seaport Village re-do, and Manchester Pacific Gateway's 8 blocks--it's going to be 10 blocks of hotels and commercial projects, with an office building or two. I can't believe there is no residential aspect to either of the two projects.

Will O' Wisp
Nov 5, 2018, 11:17 PM
Did anyone read the article and notice that they said the spire would replace Ruocco Park? Ruocco Park is barely 6 years old and they are already planning on getting rid of it- I don't understand how the Seaport Village re-do planners can assume this is ok. Not to mention that privatizing public space is infuriating in itself...

And why isn't there a residential component? With the whole Seaport Village re-do, and Manchester Pacific Gateway's 8 blocks--it's going to be 10 blocks of hotels and commercial projects, with an office building or two. I can't believe there is no residential aspect to either of the two projects.

Just a couple notes:

-The spire isn't going to replace Rucco Park, it's going to be placed to the east where the shops of the current Seaport Village are today. The article doesn't state this explicitly, but implies it when it fails to list the spire in the list of things going in that area. The maps released as part of the board meeting (https://portofsandiego.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=3717339&GUID=4A81BB08-138F-4F82-800E-70A60E7F03B5&Options=&Search=) make this clear though.

-The so called "Blue Campus" is directly replacing Rucco Park. This features an aquarium, a learning center (think the fleet science center in balboa park), and a startup incubator (essentially free office space for students/recent grads of UCSD). The area will be built by the developers but run by UCSD and Scripps, both non-profits. There will be fees to enter the learning center/aquarium, but they will only be based on the cost associated with running these facilities. This is basically the exact same way Balboa Park developed from a grassy hill outside of downtown into what it is today, and under most definitions after this development Rucco Park will still be considered a public space much like Balboa still is.

-There's currently sort of a glut of non-active public spaces on the downtown waterfront (ie grass fields), more than people are really interested in using. When I walked down by the waterfront last weekend I counted maybe a half dozen people in Rucco Park mid-day on a Saturday, which is pretty appalling tbh. In-between the Tuna Harbor park, the Embarcadero Marina parks, the County Admin building parks, the Lane Field park, and the under construction park right across the street to it as part of the MPG there is a huge amount of open space in the area (and there's about the be more with the in concept parks on the Navy Pier and the expansion of the County Admin Building park). An aquarium/learning center could educate and entertain hundreds in the same space, while people looking for a less active experience would have plenty of options just a short walk away.

-Under CA state law it would be illegal to build permanent residences at either the MPG or Seaport Village (or anywhere else south of W Harbor Dr and west of Pacific Hwy for that matter). From the 1920s-1960s the Navy dredged thousands of tons of mud out of the bay to make it deep enough for the latest warships, and they dumped a lot of the fill they pulled up around downtown to provide more land (along with building Harbor Island, Shelter Island, attaching North Island to Coronado, etc. The Navy did a massive amount of dredging). The legal terms are a bit complex, but essentially these days you're not allowed to build housing on that reclaimed land.

ArquitectoMontenegro
Nov 6, 2018, 5:50 PM
I had mistook the Spire replacing Ruocco Park-- you're correct it is this Blue Campus/Aquarium that will directly replace it.

The Waterfront Park is very active because of its proximity to the large amount of apartments and condos in Little Italy (where there are fewer hotels in comparison to other areas like Seaport Village).

I think Lane field, and Ruocco Park would be better used if there were more residential units near them. They are too far for activities like walking your dog. I live in Little Italy and frequent the Waterfront Park but Lane Field is just far away enough that it is inconvenient to get there--and it is also poorly programmed. If Lane/Ruocco had a play ground I bet you'd see more people. The playground aspect of Waterfront is always being used.

Grassy fields don't attract a crowd--programmed elements like sculptures, fountains, playgrounds, dog parks attract users.

I was not aware about the legalities barring residential buildings on those blocks, it does not make a lot of sense to me to allow hotels but not apartments. I suppose it is what it is.

Thank you for your informative response, Will O'Wisp

HurricaneHugo
Nov 7, 2018, 9:30 AM
SDSU West looks like it will pass with Soccer City looking at a massive defeat

Nv_2897
Nov 7, 2018, 11:36 PM
The crane for Savina has been taken down
https://i.imgur.com/VIRo98S.jpg
*Credit to skyline webcams for the imagery

HurricaneHugo
Nov 8, 2018, 9:11 AM
That is one good looking skyline!

Imagine when Manchester's plan is complete

Can it expand further to the left or does the FAA stop it?

chjbolton
Nov 8, 2018, 4:54 PM
So... I don't know San Diego much.
Anyway care to explain why it hasn't broken the 600ft/200m mark yet? It is an FAA thing with the airport nearby? Cos that would suck...
A little peak here and there wouldn't hurt.

Nv_2897
Nov 8, 2018, 11:57 PM
Anyway care to explain why it hasn't broken the 600ft/200m mark yet? It is an FAA thing with the airport nearby? Cos that would suck...

Yes, the reasoning for the 500 limit is the nearby airport and yes, I do agree some height would be awesome; Fortunately there are big projects that are under construction or will be very soon that will help improve the skyline.

Nv_2897
Nov 9, 2018, 12:00 AM
That is one good looking skyline!

Imagine when Manchester's plan is complete

Can it expand further to the left or does the FAA stop it?

I totally agree with you that the skyline looks really great right now and will look even better in the nearby future. Unfortunately, the height stops a block or two after Ariel Appartments due to FAA height restrictions

HurricaneHugo
Nov 9, 2018, 3:31 AM

Yeah it's the airport.

Specifically, it's because airplanes should fly to their left when aborting a landing at the last minute. That puts their path over downtown.

Many can make the argument that the southern portion of East Village wouldn't be in the path and the FAA could raise the limit a lil bit.

SDCAL
Nov 9, 2018, 2:35 PM
Well that spire sure would be iconic...

Is there a rendering that shows the top of it? It’s weird that it’s the iconic part of that project, yet all the renderings show it cut-off. Can’t really make a judgement on how it looks without seeing the whole thing.

chjbolton
Nov 9, 2018, 6:28 PM
Yeah it's the airport.

Specifically, it's because airplanes should fly to their left when aborting a landing at the last minute. That puts their path over downtown.

Many can make the argument that the southern portion of East Village wouldn't be in the path and the FAA could raise the limit a lil bit.

Thanks for the answer guys.
And GAWD!!! That is so frustrating...
Cities and airports you know! San Diego, Seattle, London... :uhh:

embora
Nov 10, 2018, 5:07 AM
Wait the construction at 11th and Market is a 36 floor tower?!

Does anybody know if that's going up first or the 6 story towers?

From personal observation, it looks like both the 36 and 6 story towers are being built right now.

Will O' Wisp
Nov 10, 2018, 8:08 AM
Yeah it's the airport.

The missed approach procedure for KSAN in approach to Rwy 27 (aka the usual landing over Balboa Park) is to stay on the runway heading and immediately climb to 2500 feet, then wait for further instructions. Going the other direction the procedure is to stay on runway immediately climb to 5000 feet, then head towards Chula Vista before flying out over the ocean (alternately, the newer GPS procedure is to climb to 2000 feet then make a climbing right turn out to sea). In none of there procedure will the pilot ever deviate from course anywhere close to downtown.

From an air operations standpoint all that's really necessary is a sort of cone descending towards the airport, and when you're will to edge up on those limits airliners can end up far closer to the tops of downtown skyscrapers than in SD (as this airport in Brazil demonstrates).

cx1M4HhPtCI

SPTyXftT0bY

Honestly, I mostly put it down to perceptions. Even if covering downtown north of little italy in 800 footers wouldn't prevent safe operations at Lindbergh, getting so close to the tops of buildings while in an aircraft tends to freak people out. So CALTRANS limits building within 1.5 miles of an airport to 500' above the ground and the city limits (most) buildings to 500 feet above seal level.

202_Cyclist
Nov 10, 2018, 11:58 AM
FAA is the agency to that determines permissible heghts in the vicinity of airports, through its obstruction analysis review. The FAA will look at distance from the airport and the height of the proposed buildings.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/portal.jsp

This analysis is largely driven by ensuring that an aircraft can clear any potential obstacle if it has one engine inoperable during takeoff.

https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/obstacle/media/AC_120-91_Overview.pdf

Will O' Wisp
Nov 10, 2018, 5:44 PM
FAA is the agency to that determines permissible heghts in the vicinity of airports, through its obstruction analysis review. The FAA will look at distance from the airport and the height of the proposed buildings.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/portal.jsp

This analysis is largely driven by ensuring that an aircraft can clear any potential obstacle if it has one engine inoperable during takeoff.

https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/obstacle/media/AC_120-91_Overview.pdf

The legal dynamics of aviation obstacle regulation are fairly complex and involve all levels of government from federal to local. The FAA is not technically involved in the approval or permitting of any structure, that falls under jurisdiction of the local municipality (in this case the City of SD). However the FAA defines the FAR Part 77 "imaginary surfaces", a roughly conical region centered above the airport, which define what it considers ideal for safe aircraft operations.

http://www.doav.virginia.gov/Images/studies/landuse/landuse_FARsurfacesmed.jpg

The FAA does not have any direct methods to enforce compliance upon developers, but since the FAA is allowed to decertify an airport for air travel state and local governments are heavily incentivized to refuse permitting of structures violating these boundaries, at least if they want to keep their airport from being shut down. The FAA even has even already written up a law for cities to pass just to make that easier for them. (https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/advisory_circulars/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentID/22826)

The Part 77 surfaces define what the FAA considers necessary for safe aircraft operations, but they're not exactly going to complain if your local municipality wants to be more restrictive than that. To that end when CA passed the California Aeronautics Act it required the Caltrans Div of Aeronautics to give approval to any structure taller than 500' AGL within 1.5 miles of an airport, which it never has and probably never will. This is why One America Plaza tops out at exactly 500 feet. However, portions of the East Village are further than 1.5 miles away from Lindburgh and the Part 77 FAA surfaces after taller than 500 feet in the area. But because the City of SD has decided that would just look silly the Centre City PDO limits building heights to 500 feel above sea level across all of downtown. Although the City Council can overrule this and has done so in the past, unless your project is going to be iconic as One America Plaza (or the Seaport Village observation tower hopefully!) they're probably going to say no.

SDfan
Nov 10, 2018, 8:37 PM
The red is coming:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c24/SDfan12/Public/IMG_20181110_123349.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/SDfan12/media/Public/IMG_20181110_123349.jpg.html)

HurricaneHugo
Nov 11, 2018, 10:03 AM
From personal observation, it looks like both the 36 and 6 story towers are being built right now.

Do we have renderings of the 36 story tower?

I don't know how I missed that one

Will O' Wisp
Nov 13, 2018, 1:16 AM
Do we have renderings of the 36 story tower?

I don't know how I missed that one

We have renderings aplenty

http://pvp.trb.com/4880098443001/2016/12/4880098443001_5247012496001_image-1481680121997.jpg?pubId=4880098443001

https://officeinsight.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Carrier-Johnson-CULTURE.Park-Market-3.jpg

http://www.ideadistrictsd.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Neighbors-UCSD.png

spoonman
Nov 13, 2018, 1:38 AM
I thought that tower was supposed to be ~42 floors. Did it change? If I recall, that is the tower that was conceived by another developer and sold to Bosa?

Boatguy619
Nov 13, 2018, 2:36 AM
That first photo isn't Park and Market. Thats the Bosa development "Broadway Block" also going up nearby. Park and Market is the UCSD extension right? Too many big projects to keep track of, I love it.

Will Savina have anything on its rooftop? It sure look's like theres going to be something up there, hopefully not just for tenants. SD really lacks good rooftop bars/ clubs.

superfishy
Nov 13, 2018, 5:39 AM
I hope the Seaport redevelopment gets going before the next economic lull.