PDA

View Full Version : SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161

kpexpress
Sep 28, 2009, 9:19 PM
TOday I was calling a bunch of companies looking for monthly parking downtown; talked to a guy at Central Parking, and he said that they will be closing down there surface lot on Market between 7th and 8th Ave. He said they are being forced to close down that lot due to the start of construction.

Isn't that the lot that is owned by OM?

Fusey
Sep 29, 2009, 1:32 AM
Some interesting Census data was released today in the Tribune. It would be interesting to compare these figures to those 10 years ago.

http://media.signonsandiego.com/img/photos/2009/09/28/commute_t630.jpg?722e46dd685710b424f1719a69e3d2802eb9f1a6
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/photos/2009/sep/28/62591/

HurricaneHugo
Sep 29, 2009, 4:48 AM
TOday I was calling a bunch of companies looking for monthly parking downtown; talked to a guy at Central Parking, and he said that they will be closing down there surface lot on Market between 7th and 8th Ave. He said they are being forced to close down that lot due to the start of construction.

Isn't that the lot that is owned by OM?

According to the CCDC site:

"
Located in downtown San Diego's East Village neighborhood.

Block bounded by Market Street, Seventh, Eighth and Island avenues

The proposed project consists of parking lot demolition, excavation, shoring, environmental remediation, and parking lot reconstruction of a portion of the Redevelopment Agency-owned block. Project funding will come from a $1.5 million State of California Orphan Site Cleanup SubAccount (OSCA) Grant and private settlement agreement funds."

kpexpress
Sep 29, 2009, 5:56 AM
According to the CCDC site:

"
Located in downtown San Diego's East Village neighborhood.

Block bounded by Market Street, Seventh, Eighth and Island avenues

The proposed project consists of parking lot demolition, excavation, shoring, environmental remediation, and parking lot reconstruction of a portion of the Redevelopment Agency-owned block. Project funding will come from a $1.5 million State of California Orphan Site Cleanup SubAccount (OSCA) Grant and private settlement agreement funds."

Last year the Jim's from PUBLIC came and spoke at the Newschool, and they mentioned that they were doing some work for OM on that site. We'll see what happens. I called OM today to inquire, but I was only allowed to leave a message.

Fusey
Sep 29, 2009, 3:40 PM
What's supposed to be developed on the lot behind Albertson's? It's been fenced off and has had some scattered building materials on it for a long time now. I can't find anything on the CCDC website.

kpexpress
Sep 29, 2009, 10:00 PM
What's supposed to be developed on the lot behind Albertson's? It's been fenced off and has had some scattered building materials on it for a long time now. I can't find anything on the CCDC website.

Phase two of Market Street Village?

HurricaneHugo
Oct 2, 2009, 8:17 AM
Interesting map I found in the San Bernardino thread:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2557/3969008644_36254766b0_o.jpg

Why those respective alternate alignments? (although they don't differ by much)

dl3000
Oct 2, 2009, 2:56 PM
Looks pretty cut and dry for SD County. 15-52-5 done with some short detours to stations but those are the general alignments. If only there was a Miramar Airport then that would be a perfect station location.

bmfarley
Oct 4, 2009, 3:57 AM
Looks pretty cut and dry for SD County. 15-52-5 done with some short detours to stations but those are the general alignments. If only there was a Miramar Airport then that would be a perfect station location.
If Miramar were the SD airport... I just might agree with you. Because, Miramar would attract more long-distance and direct flights to far away places. More international flights could attract greater domestic flights from outside California. HSR could bring some of those travelers to the airport by train. A stop there just might be worthwhile... assuming trains would continue on to downtown San Diego.

But instead, SD airport is at Lindbergh. And because San Diego is in a corner of the country... 1) Lindbergh will never be a transfer hub and would attract more flights and associated travel opportunities, and 2) has relatively little opportunity for long-distance market due to the planes i) needing to be larger to meet revenue targets, ii) would have greater fuel requirements for longer flights, but would be heavier and that conflicts with the airport having a short runway...

...did I get all that...

Basically, Lindbergh should not be considered a viable stop. Lindbergh has a limited market and little opportunity to grow it. Lindbergh's attractiveness for potential HSR-to-Plane users, and vice versa, is rather limited. In fact, once HSR is up and running, HSR will attract large numbers of existing in-state travelers. The in-state market to Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Sacramento may switch entirely to HSR... and those flights represent a substantial number of Lindbergh's users; perhaps 1/3 to 1/2?

What concerns me is the idea forwarded by Sanders for Lindbergh being San Diego's terminus. Users and commuters to downtown would then have to suck it up for an inconvenient and time consuming transfer to a train or taxi to get to downtown. How fk'd is that?

Make no mistake, Lindbergh was proposed as the HSR stop for two reasons, at most... 1) primarily (?) to make the super transit terminal on the east side of the runways, combined with relocated terminals, look better to the airport authority, and 2) because Steve Peace's employer... the Padre owner... has property interests on the east side of the airport. It was not proposed because it made sense for riders.. it does not.

HurricaneHugo
Oct 6, 2009, 5:16 AM
So for my Land Use Planning class, I have to go to a city/council meeting and have a report for it.

Any good meetings coming up?

When's the CCDC's next meeting?

bmfarley
Oct 6, 2009, 6:45 AM
So for my Land Use Planning class, I have to go to a city/council meeting and have a report for it.

Any good meetings coming up?

When's the CCDC's next meeting?I'd advise against Community Advisory Committee's, or CAC's. They have no influence and tend to sit and talk and do nothing.

kpexpress
Oct 7, 2009, 9:07 AM
Does anyone know anyone on CCDC's CCAC? I know one person who is on the committee that represents Little Italy. Anyone else?

tdavis
Oct 7, 2009, 7:57 PM
Does anyone know anyone on CCDC's CCAC? I know one person who is on the committee that represents Little Italy. Anyone else?

I've worked with most of them, why?

voice of reason
Oct 12, 2009, 3:14 AM
I see what a dead zone this place is without me. All I see is whinning by Big Winded Hugo and BFFarley, 'I wish, If only, in regards to Miramar. Stop your dreaming, its a Navy base and even the Obama admin. will keep it that way.

The federal govt. is broke beyond belief, the dollar is sinking because of the red ink and the economy is still weak.

California is just as broke as the Fed. but they cant print money, so they are screwed, especially with the sales tax not coming in.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=ahpLpu9sKLyY

San Diego City and County are on life-support, we dont need to rerun history there.

My question is, since all government entities are busted. Who will fund your white elephant projects?

SDfan
Oct 12, 2009, 8:48 PM
^^So besides berating fellow forumers, what is there to talk about?

Most of the construction around the county has slowed to a crawl. State projects are pretty much the only thing going, albeit from money we don't really have.

As for white elephant projects, I guess people like talking about them because... they make sense. A large centralized airport at Miramar, where there is enough land and transportation connections to boost an international enconomy into San Diego? No, that nonsense... The marines (not the navy you twit) own Miramar for now, we know. How about instead of complaining about forumers talking about projects that make sense, you come up with other topics? Is there anything you would like to say Mr.Thread-Keeper that would be beneficial? Because hacking on other forumers who come to a development forum to talk about future developments they would like to see isn't really benefical to anyone but your ego.

Anywho, I just read in the SDNN that they are going to be having meetings across the county about the different high-speed rail alignments.

http://www.760kfmb.com/Global/story.asp?S=11297852

eburress
Oct 12, 2009, 10:37 PM
I think the twit may have meant that although Miramar is a Marine base, it is "owned" by the Department of the Navy. Obviously, the government "owns" Miramar, but you get my meaning.

California is in the red because instead of doing things to create a more pro-business environment (increasing trade, building airports, decreasing taxes, changing anti-business legislation), they do the opposite. Increase taxes and pass anti-business legislation, driving out business and shrinking their tax base.

I apologize in advance for another Texas reference, but it is exceedingly relevant to mention that the city of Fort Worth (along with the FAA and Hillwood Development) built Alliance Airport which has generated $33.8 BILLION for North Texas’ economy and has contributed over $625 MILLION in property tax revenue for the city of Fort Worth (as well as the cities of Haslet and Roanoke). Alliance has also created 29,000 jobs to date and 1,900 jobs were created in the past year alone.

Investments like this would cure EVERYTHING that's wrong with San Diego's (and CA's) budget. San Diego might not be able to afford some of these projects, but it can't afford not to.

BrandonJXN
Oct 12, 2009, 10:51 PM
You Diegeans sure love Texas.

:frog:

eburress
Oct 12, 2009, 11:00 PM

My theory is that half the city's residents are either from Texas or at least have Texas ties. :)

staplesla
Oct 13, 2009, 12:10 AM
A lawsuit that opposed the first phase of remaking of San Diego’s waterfront was dismissed by a Superior Court judge, the port announced Oct. 9.

The suit filed by a group called Public Rights to Bay Access and Parks sought to put a halt to the first phase of a multiyear construction project along the city’s waterfront called the North Embarcadero Visionary Plan.

The group alleged that the port violated numerous provisions of the state’s environmental laws and the California Coastal Act, and that the agency did not properly analyze the effects of other bay front projects in the area.

The port planned to begin working on the first phase of the project later this year. That first phase consisted of building a 105-foot wide sidewalk that would include garden area, public art and a restroom along Harbor Drive from the Navy Pier to the B Street Pier, as well as road improvements to Broadway.

The estimated cost was about $28.6 million. The estimate for the overall waterfront improvement project is $200 million.

The plaintiffs filed an appeal on the ruling that is pending before the California Coastal Commission. A hearing on the appeal is expected to be heard early next year, according to the port district.

The project cannot begin construction without the approval of the commission.

http://www.sdbj.com/article.asp?aID=9923044.5162496.1839539.2875971.5081616.680&aID2=141494

dl3000
Oct 13, 2009, 2:17 AM
I see what a dead zone this place is without me. All I see is whinning by Big Winded Hugo and BFFarley, 'I wish, If only, in regards to Miramar. Stop your dreaming, its a Navy base and even the Obama admin. will keep it that way.

The federal govt. is broke beyond belief, the dollar is sinking because of the red ink and the economy is still weak.

California is just as broke as the Fed. but they cant print money, so they are screwed, especially with the sales tax not coming in.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=ahpLpu9sKLyY

San Diego City and County are on life-support, we dont need to rerun history there.

My question is, since all government entities are busted. Who will fund your white elephant projects?

The president doesn't mess with military bases. That is BRAC's responsibility. Gitmo is still a base he just ordered the prison shut.

And the reason California is broke is all the conflicting propositions that snatch all kinds of money.

staplesla
Oct 13, 2009, 3:35 AM
The city of San Diego took the next step Monday toward building a new $432 million City Hall by entering into exclusive negotiations with a developer.

The City Council voted 5-3 to begin talks with Portland, Ore.-based Gerding Edlen.

The council retained the right to back out if the building won't save the city money over current costs to lease downtown office space and maintain the 1964 City Hall.

Council members Carl DeMaio, Donna Frye and Sherri Lightner objected to the negotiations in part because there was no requirement that the project go before voters for final approval.

“I need to have a commitment that we are actually going to give the public a vote because it is public money,” Frye said. “If it's such a cool thing and a great deal, then we should want a public vote.”

Mayor Jerry Sanders has repeatedly said the project would go before voters – possibly as early as the November 2010 election – regardless of whether the city is legally required to do so.

A council majority – Marti Emerald, Kevin Faulconer, Todd Gloria, Ben Hueso and Tony Young – declined to amend the agreement with the developer to require a public vote and left the door open to skip that step.

“It's most likely that it'll probably go to a public vote, but I think we should reserve the option not to, just in case,” said Hueso, the council president.

The negotiations are expected to take less than six months and cost as much as $705,000. That money will pay for environmental experts, construction consultants and financial gurus.

The project calls for a 34-story City Hall with an underground garage at C Street and First Avenue, just west of the current building. It would consolidate city offices now spread throughout downtown and eliminate several city leases.

Two dozen supporters, from taxpayer advocates to community leaders to building-industry professionals, urged the council to enter the negotiations to see if the project pencils out for taxpayers.

Tom Sudberry, a real estate developer, called it a “generational opportunity” to build a major civic project because of the lowered construction costs from the recession.

“I'd like to really encourage you to think long-term,” he said. “Think about the legacy we can leave to the next generation.”

Young said he realizes some taxpayers may question the wisdom of building a City Hall during an economic recession. But he noted many world-famous civic projects were built during the Great Depression, including the Hoover Dam and the Golden Gate Bridge.

“I don't think anybody here would argue that those projects were not helpful and beneficial to the people of those municipalities and this whole country in regards to their worth,” he said. “This is a great time to show vision.”

The point of the negotiations is to provide hard numbers for the proposed project. The size of the new building – originally proposed to create 1 million square feet of office space – and whether the city will sell or lease nearby properties to the developer will be part of the discussions.

After constructing the City Hall, Gerding Edlen hopes to build retail, housing and a parking structure around it to generate profits.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/oct/12/bn12cityhall-step-forward/?metro

SDfan
Oct 13, 2009, 4:32 AM
Does anyone see a proposal for a new city hall passing?

kpexpress
Oct 13, 2009, 8:15 AM

what happened to the proposition to research feasibility of moving the airport to Miramar in 2006?

I think that a lot of people will overlook the opportunity to take advantage of lowered construction costs and the amount of jobs it will create for people.

Hopefully this project will spur more growth and redevelopment along C Street.

mello
Oct 13, 2009, 9:15 PM

Well when you think about it what other metro areas are still attracting companies on any kind of large scale?? Dallas, Houston, and the San Antonio/Austin region have steadily been scooping up California companies even during this deep Recession/Depression. So I would suggest any city especially the Empire of LA should follow the lead of Texas at least in some regard. What is the city of LA unemployment rate now? 13 %... (San Diego is only lower because such a big percentage of our jobs are crappy low wage Hospitality/Restaurant gigs) So I'm not just picking on Los Angeles.

I don't think E Burress is just speaking about San Diego using these Texas strategies and concepts to grow an economy, every city that is mired in piss poor wage and corporate grow like SD and LA should take a look at what they have been up to. If you really read up on business news it seems like every other week you can find California firms relocating all or part of their business units to TX. The middle class of this nation seems to be relocating to Texas it seems :(

mello
Oct 13, 2009, 9:20 PM

I don't see it passing a vote with the Citizens of Backwater By the Bay no... And why should they vote on everything? Do other major cities have citizens vote on every large civic project? Seriously vote for the airport, vote for city hall, stadiums, etc. the average San Diegan has no idea what they are talking about.

Anyone over 40 just wants things to stay the same and doesn't care that young people have no access to jobs paying more then $12 per hour... Think about it people where are future generations going to work in this Metro area. Companies are leaving in droves and aren't coming back :rolleyes: This will be a city of nurses, cops, and crappy service, restaurant, and retail jobs if things keep up like this.

Note to all you "No growth, it will cause traffic and noise, crowd" this is not San Luis Obispo! This is the 15 to 17th largest metro area in the US. If you want a chill laid back vibe move to SLO, Lompoc, Monterrey, or Santa Cruz. And if those places are too cold, then Costa Rica, Belize, and Panama will take you with open arms.

dl3000
Oct 14, 2009, 3:21 AM
I don't see it passing a vote with the Citizens of Backwater By the Bay no... And why should they vote on everything? Do other major cities have citizens vote on every large civic project? Seriously vote for the airport, vote for city hall, stadiums, etc. the average San Diegan has no idea what they are talking about.

Anyone over 40 just wants things to stay the same and doesn't care that young people have no access to jobs paying more then $12 per hour... Think about it people where are future generations going to work in this Metro area. Companies are leaving in droves and aren't coming back :rolleyes: This will be a city of nurses, cops, and crappy service, restaurant, and retail jobs if things keep up like this.

Note to all you "No growth, it will cause traffic and noise, crowd" this is not San Luis Obispo! This is the 15 to 17th largest metro area in the US. If you want a chill laid back vibe move to SLO, Lompoc, Monterrey, or Santa Cruz. And if those places are too cold, then Costa Rica, Belize, and Panama will take you with open arms.

Agreed.

kpexpress
Oct 14, 2009, 8:41 AM

Now that I come to think of it....... "Lazy Beach Town" and America's Finest with pop 1.3 million + just don't mix well. Hate the cliche, but it's like oil and water. And when I just typed that word "Oil" it sounded like O'l, the way they say it in Texas. Too much Texas talk on this forum, but they're obviously doing something right. Well said Mello, well said.

kpexpress
Oct 14, 2009, 8:42 AM
just wondering if anyone here is on Twitter? I'm @kpexpress

staplesla
Oct 15, 2009, 2:48 AM
Well my my firm met today and the company is moving to Dallas. All employees have been offered relocation which is great. Senior management said they "couldn't afford the increasing CA taxes, and the inadequate airport has been a hindrance for a while." So I'll maintain my CA home, but off to Texas I go!

eburress
Oct 15, 2009, 2:50 PM
Well my my firm met today and the company is moving to Dallas. All employees have been offered relocation which is great. Senior management said they "couldn't afford the increasing CA taxes, and the inadequate airport has been a hindrance for a while." So I'll maintain my CA home, but off to Texas I go!

Wow - well, congratulations, staplesla! It's hot as hell, but Dallas is also a lot of fun. Great restaurants too.

Somebody ought to be able to see what's happening and why this state is in such dire financial straits. The state raises taxes, companies move away, the tax base shrinks, and in order to pay the bills, the state raises taxes... Stupid!

BrandonJXN
Oct 15, 2009, 4:05 PM
Again...San Diego and Dallas are forever connected.

dl3000
Oct 15, 2009, 8:13 PM
eburress, I miss the french chick on your avatar.

eburress
Oct 15, 2009, 10:20 PM
eburress, I miss the french chick on your avatar.

hahaha - I was getting hit on too much by people thinking she was me!

Again...San Diego and Dallas are forever connected.

That they are. Dallas may be luring more companies, but in SD's favor, it is every Dallasite's dream to have a home in SD. :)

kpexpress
Oct 18, 2009, 8:31 AM
anyone know what's going on in the warehouse building on the corner of J street and Park Blvd? That building has that huge garage door and I think it was used as a grocery supplier. I saw them doing a bunch of work on that building like painting the exterior and covering up some windows.

kpexpress
Oct 20, 2009, 6:05 AM
I officially registered to be a candidate to represent the East Village on the CCAC as a resident tenant. Please vote for me (Kyle Peterson) on October 26 or 27 at Java Jones.

Growth-Livability-Community....East Village

S.DviaPhilly
Oct 20, 2009, 9:12 PM
anyone know what's going on in the warehouse building on the corner of J street and Park Blvd? That building has that huge garage door and I think it was used as a grocery supplier. I saw them doing a bunch of work on that building like painting the exterior and covering up some windows.

An intense gym, I saw a banner hanging up today that said "Coming Soon CrossFit." I like the color blue they painted it, and suprise, suprise someone already tagged it.

kpexpress
Oct 21, 2009, 2:07 AM
An intense gym, I saw a banner hanging up today that said "Coming Soon CrossFit." I like the color blue they painted it, and suprise, suprise someone already tagged it.

I noticed the tag this morning. I like how the blue is only painted to the corners of the building, you can still see the original brown color framing in the new color. Very cool.

voice of reason
Oct 21, 2009, 4:48 PM
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/oct/21/citys-future-building-or-bankruptcy/?metro&zIndex=186251

The article could have been titled Cognitive Dissonance is alive and well in SD.

SD has NO money so lets build our pet projects anyway.

California is in no better shape so lets build away.

eburress
Oct 21, 2009, 8:04 PM
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/oct/21/citys-future-building-or-bankruptcy/?metro&zIndex=186251

The article could have been titled Cognitive Dissonance is alive and well in SD.

SD has NO money so lets build our pet projects anyway.

California is in no better shape so lets build away.

SD and CA need to make investments that will improve their money situation. Things that that will lure business and ultimately increase their tax base. It's the ONLY way things are going to improve.

HurricaneHugo
Oct 22, 2009, 4:34 AM
I officially registered to be a candidate to represent the East Village on the CCAC as a resident tenant. Please vote for me (Kyle Peterson) on October 26 or 27 at Java Jones.

Was supposed to go to the last meeting to do a report on it but couldn't. :(

Derek
Oct 22, 2009, 7:05 AM
yawn

keg92101
Oct 22, 2009, 9:30 PM

What is your platform?

kpexpress
Oct 25, 2009, 12:14 AM
What is your platform?

LOL Never thought I had to establish an official "platform", but I can share with you my thoughts about the East Village, my qualifications, and my feelings about some of the pressing issues that most likely will be brought up during the term of service.

Keywords:
DENSITY. SAFETY. DIVERSITY. LIVABILITY. ENERGETIC. ECCENTRIC. COMMUNITY.
I support a more densely populated, community-oriented East Village, rich with diversity, culture and flourishing on mutual respect for all it’s neighbors, businesses, and environment.
Residents have the right to voice their concerns and demand action. Our lives, all independently different, share many common utilitarian and aesthetic needs. I am committed to represent all East Village Tenants and voice your concerns, interests, and demands; working together, to make a lasting difference in the East Village.

Qualifications:
Organizer/Co-President of the NSAD Urban Bike Club
NSAD Student Council Representative - Campus Clubs Sub-Committee
Professional Bachelors of Architecture Degree Student at NSAD (Third Year)
Urban Issues and Development Education Focus Track
Served Two Years Non-Profit, Volunteer Service Work in Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Mass-Transit Advocate
Urbanite

Issues:
Location of the Temporary Homeless Shelter: the shelter has been located downtown for the last ten years, although the homeless problem is a city-wide issue. This year, the council wants to locate the shelter across the street of my school. I want the council to find a different location outside of downtown!

Off leash Dog Park: I have two dogs, and know what it takes to make a safe, enjoyable off leash dog park. Ample shade, water, variety of terrain, textures and smells. I would love to see the city focus on the future site of the Main Library for an interim off leash dog park. It's already fenced in, close to the most densely populated part of the EV, and not along Market Street where there are a lot of loud buses.

Main Library: I have serious concerns about the amount of homeless the new main library will bring. Our current main library is crawling with them. I'm not sure that many of the East Village residents will use a main library, although I DO support building it, I cannot help but think of the words of Jane Jacobs where she talks about putting city parks ONLY where there is an immediate need otherwise they will be underused and inefficient.

Ballpark Village: I would be in support of a large school development, but I would make sure that proper sight lines to the East Village clock tower at the 12th and Imperial transit stop would be respected. The clock tower should be visible from the base of the Harbor Drive pedestrian bridge & the intersection of Tenth and Park Blvd. I also would hate to see another Hilton Bay Front Hotel like series of buildings. It would need to be iconic, pedestrian friendly and open to the public to cross through the area.

Restaurants: NO MORE SPORTS BARS, East Village lacks quick affordable and desirable restaurants. If you're looking for something quick, cheap, and good, without having to tip a waiter/waitress.... your choices are limited.

Dwindling Middle Class Housing: It seems that the only focus in the private and public development sector is luxury condos/rentals, or low income. If you're an average (struggling in SD) middle class you most likely won't want to live amongst near homeless people, or half-way house style housing. Where's a desirable and affordable option for the middle class.

Student Population Increasing: with NSAD growing at record rates, and the TJSL under construction East Village is evolving into a very student oriented neighborhood (along with City College). We need to ensure the trolley system is kept clean, safe and reliable to encourage students to travel via trolley and bus, and allow businesses to open up to support the increase of students.

East Village Events: I would love to see more street fairs in the East Village to bring new people in and support our neighborhood businesses. Gaslamp sure makes a killing off Marti Gras, halloween events, and concerts, etc. The East Village needs more than just Street Scene to lure people in to spend money.

Green Spaces: East Village needs more green spaces to make our streets more human and livable.

Anyway, there's a lot to talk about, but more importantly I am committed to the East Village and the Urban way of life. I support a more humanly scaled, flourishing East Village where people want to be (and not just near the ball park).

Vote for me Monday October 26 @ 5PM at the Lyceum Theater in Horton Plaza, or Tuesday October 27 from Noon to 6:30PM at Java Jones.

Must bring two item(s): picture I.D. (doesn't have to be a CA driver's license), AND a copy of your lease/rental contract OR a utility bill showing your name and address.

Show up and vote! And even if you're not a tenant and can't vote for me (as only East Village TENANTS can vote for me) come vote for the seat that represents you (i.e. business owners, and home owners).

Long Live the East Village. LOL

bmfarley
Oct 25, 2009, 4:27 PM
^^^
Kyle,
Good luck to you. I didn't see anything speaking to transportation.

I feel one of the biggest issues on the horizon for San Diego is where to locate the high-speed rail terminal station; downtown at Santa Fe Depot or Lindbergh Field.

Downtown is the superior location for the region, and would also be overwhelming positive for downtown business interests. The question should be how it should it be designed - elevated or below ground. At-grade crossings, like today, are not possible with high-speed trains. I believe below ground offers greater opportunities, plus you don't impact view corridors to the Bay for Broadway and every E-W street north of Broadway. A below ground option may also have the opportunity to relocate the existing freight to a below-grade alignment too, and which would ELIMINATE all the horn blasts . Many years ago CCDC looked into the feasibility of putting freight in a trench; however, was not pursued because of cost (?). With HSR and more funding coming for rail with the new White House, the feasibility of something like that becomes more viable. But, we're talking hundreds of millions.

staplesla
Oct 26, 2009, 2:41 AM
^^^
Kyle,
Good luck to you. I didn't see anything speaking to transportation.

I feel one of the biggest issues on the horizon for San Diego is where to locate the high-speed rail terminal station; downtown at Santa Fe Depot or Lindbergh Field.

Downtown is the superior location for the region, and would also be overwhelming positive for downtown business interests. The question should be how it should it be designed - elevated or below ground. At-grade crossings, like today, are not possible with high-speed trains. I believe below ground offers greater opportunities, plus you don't impact view corridors to the Bay for Broadway and every E-W street north of Broadway. A below ground option may also have the opportunity to relocate the existing freight to a below-grade alignment too, and which would ELIMINATE all the horn blasts . Many years ago CCDC looked into the feasibility of putting freight in a trench; however, was not pursued because of cost (?). With HSR and more funding coming for rail with the new White House, the feasibility of something like that becomes more viable. But, we're talking hundreds of millions.

FYI - the channeling of the lines (trench) is already in the works. My wife is the project manager of the LA-SD HSR line.

kpexpress
Oct 26, 2009, 4:58 AM
FYI - the channeling of the lines (trench) is already in the works. My wife is the project manager of the LA-SD HSR line.

Transit is one of my favorite topics to talk about, and I'm always supportive of expanding service throughout the city. I voted for the HSR prop in November and I've been a fan of HSR ever since riding the Shanghai MagLev train. I have always thought that burying Harbor Drive and the Freight Train Lines. I think that the HSR station should be at Santa Fe Depot downtown, and come into the city underground from Old Town if not further north.

As for issues concerning the East Village mores specific, I would love to see those older street trolleys get on the tracks sooner rather than later.

dl3000
Oct 26, 2009, 5:30 AM

Is HNTB in charge of that segment?

SDfan
Oct 26, 2009, 9:40 PM

That's cool, any specifics so far? Is the project likely or just a sketch?

Fusey
Oct 26, 2009, 10:22 PM
^ It sounds it's still being analyzed right now. My company is in charge of the Fresno to Los Angeles segment and there are still a number of similar issues to figure out.

staplesla
Oct 26, 2009, 10:23 PM
She works for HNTB Corporation. Quentin Kopp, who is the chairman of CA HSR, used to work for HNTB. HNTB has been involved with many of the rail projects in the state, specifically with BART.

And I'd like to answer the second question but my wife has asked that I not divulge anything until everything is released for public review. I will state though that much of the comments I see posted on here are incorrect, one being that the SD-LA leg will be the last to be built. The reason for the change from Proposition 1 to Proposition 1A in 2008 was so that money could be allocated to any line, not just the SF to LA line. Nothing has been determined yet.

dl3000
Oct 26, 2009, 11:18 PM
Aw man doing that for HNTB sounds like a lot of fun, I would love to do that. Something tells me that the demand and directness of alignment favors the SF-LA route first. I know its nobody but the NIMBY's fault for why there isn't a more direct alignment from LA to SD via LOSSAN (I bet they could have trenched it to avoid obstructing views but whatever) and instead goes through the growing (or was growing I don't know how it is now) Inland Empire, but that fact can make the train less favorable than driving on the 5.

bmfarley
Oct 27, 2009, 4:33 AM
She works for HNTB Corporation. Quentin Kopp, who is the chairman of CA HSR, used to work for HNTB. HNTB has been involved with many of the rail projects in the state, specifically with BART.

Kopp is no longer Chair of CHSRA, Anahiem Mayor Curt Pringle is.

What is different with HSR was altered by AB3034; no segment is prioritized for implementation. That said, the CHSRA has not come forward and laid out a plan for project phasing, construction or implementation.... other than what is illustrated by their applications for ARRA funding, which is largely predicated by project readiness.

It's the largest project in the history of the State; shouldn't CHSRA have an implementation plan?

We do know that LA Union Station to Anahiem is furthest along in planning, environmental and design work. It's also represents the largest portion of ARRA funding applciations from the State; I believe. The SF peninsula is probably right behind that... and little to zero is mentioned about LA to San Diego. Although past commetns from staplsla indicate tunnel or trench; which is welcome and of great interest.

Justin O'Neill
Oct 27, 2009, 6:37 PM
http://gizmodo.com/5390519/san-diego-floating-airport-would-be-a-city-of-its-own

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/4/2009/10/500x_floaty2.jpg

San Diego is in desperate need of an new airport, but no one wants it near their land. The so-obvious-that-you'll-slap-your-forehead solution? Don't build it on land, the ocean's right there. There's even a plan, but it's more than an airport.

The basic concept has been done in other places, but the idea for San Diego's solution comes from a guy named Adam Englund, and it's definitely not just a floating airport. It's an entire $20 billion business plan. He's dreamed up an airport on an "oil rig -style floating platform" with four stories of space, a total of 200 million square feet of it, which could be used for hotels, restaurants, even universities. An entire floating city.

It sounds insane, but apparently in initial reviews, Englund's plan lacks any "fatal flaws." I'd consider the absence of $20 billion a fatal flaw, but the man's a bigger optimist than I.

OneMetropolis
Oct 27, 2009, 6:54 PM
http://gizmodo.com/5390519/san-diego-floating-airport-would-be-a-city-of-its-own

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/4/2009/10/500x_floaty2.jpg

you've got to be kidding me.

dl3000
Oct 27, 2009, 7:40 PM
That's been around for awhile. Don't see it in our lifetimes though. Chances of Miramar becoming the next ATL or O'hare let alone a simple 2 runway airport seems more likely. Plus, I don't see why the thing can't JUST be an airport. Why all the additional stuff? Sure put on a marine research station but why the rest? An airport would make good revenue.

Fusey
Oct 27, 2009, 9:38 PM
I think we'll have a better form of transportation than airplanes before this city has a replacement for Lindbergh. :haha:

bmfarley
Oct 28, 2009, 2:27 AM
Once HSR is up and running to San Diego, 1/3rd to 1/2 of Lindbergh's flights will possibly vanish. Those are the in-state commuter flights... mostly oeprated by Southwest, American Eagle, and so forth. At that point, capacity will not be Lindbergh's problem... length of runway would be.

eburress
Oct 28, 2009, 7:16 PM
I think we'll have a better form of transportation than airplanes before this city has a replacement for Lindbergh. :haha:

That's the truth. We will be teleporting long before we're flying out of a new airport here in SD.

dl3000
Oct 29, 2009, 4:58 AM
well it'll probably be planes that can hover or at least vertical take off so runways are obsolete. anything to lose the height limit please.

S.DviaPhilly
Oct 29, 2009, 7:18 PM
Anyone know what they are doing on tenth between the bowling alley and the cowboy star? They gutted the place and seem to be rebuilding it from the studs up

Fusey
Oct 29, 2009, 10:18 PM
Land deal would result in high-rise courthouse
County offering state a city block

By Jeff McDonald
Union-Tribune Staff Writer
2:00 a.m. October 29, 2009

County officials want to give California an entire city block so the state can build a 17-story Superior Court complex that would consolidate services in a new downtown San Diego high-rise.

The building would include 71 courtrooms — a project judges and court administrators say is badly needed. If county Board of Supervisors approves the deal next week, the $660 million development could open in 2015.

“We're really excited about this,” said Kenneth So, presiding judge of the San Diego County Superior Court. “We have a very substandard facility.”

The old county courthouse opened in 1961. When lights need to be changed in his courtroom, So said, men in hazardous-materials suits rope off the area because ceilings are contaminated with asbestos.

His remarks were made during a meeting with The San Diego Union-Tribune editorial board, attended by other officials as well. The board regularly invites newsmakers to discuss current events.

Historic budget shortfalls earlier this year forced state courts to close one day per month to trim expenses. Even so, San Diego County courts executive Michael Roddy said a new courthouse is needed.

“The real key is to look beyond the short-term economic problems,” Roddy said. “We can't wait another 50 years to build a courthouse.”

A planned tunnel between the central jail and the new courthouse would improve the transporting of inmates, Roddy said. Inmates now are shackled and moved through corridors, often in view of jurors and victims.

The newer Hall of Justice, just west of the old courthouse, would be unaffected.

The site for the new courthouse is known as the Stahlman Block — bounded by Union, West B, State and West C streets. The county has been buying parcels there since supervisors realized they eventually would need more space. The block was appraised last year at about $36 million, Supervisor Greg Cox said.

The high-rise would be built using a portion of the $5 billion in state bond money approved for new courthouses. The money would be repaid through parking and court fee increases.

The San Diego project is considered critical by state officials, and the county is getting a larger share of the state bond money than usual as a result.

“This is a win-win-win,” Cox said. “Usually San Diego County gets the short end of the stick.”

In exchange for giving the state the Stahlman Block, the county would regain ownership of two nearby buildings that supervisors gave to the state last year as part of a mandate to turn over control of county courthouses to California.

The state would also get to use 18,000 square feet of space at the South Bay Regional Center in Chula Vista for four new courtrooms, under the agreement.

The agreement with the state comes just over a year after the county transferred title to its court-only facilities to comply with a 2002 law that required counties to shift ownership of courthouses to the state. Shared-use buildings like the Hall of Justice were not part of the land swap.

Cox said that, short of the land-swap deal, the state probably would have built in Kearny Mesa, where land is cheaper. If that had happened, the county would have been forced to pay millions of extra dollars a year to shuttle detainees from jail to court.

Under the deal, the state would retain the old courthouse property, except the portion north of West B Street.

The two facilities that would return to county ownership are the Madge Bradley Building on Fourth Avenue and the Family Court Building on Sixth Avenue. The state would keep using them until the new courthouse is opened.

Overview:

Background: A 2002 law required counties across California to transfer court facilities to the state.

What's changing: Supervisors will consider giving the state property to build a 17-story courthouse in exchange for two buildings and an underground tunnel to transport inmates between jail and court.

The future: The new high-rise north of the Hall of Justice could open in 2015.

http://media.signonsandiego.com/img/photos/2009/10/29/courthouse_map.jpg
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/oct/29/land-deal-would-result-high-rise-courthouse/?metro&zIndex=191026

HurricaneHugo
Oct 30, 2009, 12:18 AM
what's currently on that site?

Fusey
Oct 30, 2009, 12:22 AM
Just a flat-surface parking lot and a bail bonds joint.

SDfan
Oct 30, 2009, 3:40 AM
I can't wait to see the design of the complex. I wonder if it will be similar to the federal courthouse now being constructed?

kpexpress
Oct 30, 2009, 4:24 AM
Just a flat-surface parking lot and a bail bonds joint.

Sofia Hotel parks their valet customer's cars on that lot.

bmfarley
Oct 30, 2009, 5:16 AM
For interested folks:

CHSRA new vid (http://www.youtube.com/user/NC3D#p/a/u/0/iU2JSHPx8dQ)

leftopolis
Oct 30, 2009, 7:49 PM
I can't wait to see the design of the complex. I wonder if it will be similar to the federal courthouse now being constructed?

Here's what I came across:
http://www.casd.uscourts.gov/uploads/images/courthouse/SD_Cth_New.jpghttp://www.casd.uscourts.gov/uploads/images/courthouse/SD_Cth_New.jpg

BTW, here's a render of the library:
http://www.library.ca.gov/lba2000/images/funded/San%20Diego%20Main%20Perspective%20Best.jpghttp://www.library.ca.gov/lba2000/images/funded/San%20Diego%20Main%20Perspective%20Best.jpg

tdavis
Oct 31, 2009, 3:02 AM
Here's a new story on the future of the downtown San Diego library:

http://www.sdgln.com/news/2009/10/30/downtown-library-one-step-closer-far-reality

Tuesday supporters of a proposed $185 million downtown library in San Diego’s East Village applauded the City Council’s decision to put the plan out to bid. Though it’s an important step forward toward reality, the future of the long-awaited central library remains uncertain.

Since it was first approved in 1995 the library has gone through several designs, two possible locations and one grant extension. The extension came after a threat by the state to pull a $20 million grant unless the city took action. Most recently, the project was altered to include a 450-student charter school. Because of this addition the San Diego Unified School District will pay $20 million in bond money from the 2008 voter approved Proposition S.

The San Diego Public Library Foundation says it has $37 million in pledges from private donors toward building the project. However the $185 million construction estimate for the new central library was made four years ago, and current fundraising estimates have the city coming up almost $40 million short.

Supporters of the library say it wouldn’t cost the city any additional money from the general fund, but those in opposition disagree.

“I’m certainly not opposed to the concept of the library, but due to the city’s $200 million deficit and the economic instability, I don’t think this is the right time to proceed forward as planned” said Lani Lutar, President & CEO of the San Diego County Taxpayers Association. “The foundation won’t produce a letter of credit for the pledged money. And should the pledged money not come through San Diego will be forced to make up the difference. Also, the city can’t afford to build the main library because it would increase cities operating costs. You’d have a great downtown library, but at the expense of the branches.”

To date the city of San Diego has spent a little over $17 million in public funds for the project, which currently is an empty lot. The majority of the money spent has gone to the project's chief architects, Rob Wellington Quigley and Tucker Sadler Architects and their subcontractors. The $17 million already spent is part of $80 million of funds from the Center City Development Corporation (CCDC) to help finance construction of the library.

At Tuesday’s meeting three members of the City Council were hesitant to spend any more public funds for bids on the library.

“We are facing 27 percent cuts to all city departments next year,” District One’s Sheri Lightner said. “This central library vision may come at the expense of basic city services upon which all of our constituents rely.”

District Five’s Carl DeMaio proposed shelving the downtown library for now, and re-allocating the $60 million earmarked for the library to repay outstanding debts on Petco Park and the Convention Center.

In a memo from DeMaio to the City Council and Mayor Jerry Sanders dated October 19th, DeMaio says “The potential savings available from abandoning the Downtown Library project display the inaccuracy of the notion that the project has ‘no impact to the General Fund.’ The facts are clear: canceling the Downtown Library provides immediate funds to help close the General Fund budget deficit – and will take pressure off branch libraries that might see cuts and closures in this tough budget year.”

The library ultimately got the six votes needed by the City Council to proceed to the next step. As District Six Councilwoman Donna Frye said at Tuesday’s meeting, “I’d like to know how much it is. What I will do ultimately when you come back with that I don’t know, but I think it’s reasonable to have the opportunity to find out.”

Putting the plan out to bid will cost San Diegans $500,000 in capital improvement funds - $440,800 will be spent on contract amendments and $59,200 will fund additional costs related to the library.

If constructed, the downtown library would be at the center of the city’s library system, including space for adult literacy programs, art exhibits, technical services, a rare book room and a general resource center including information on the entire region.

At Tuesday’s City Coucil meeting Lutar said “instead of proceeding as planned we need to get creative in how we address our cultural needs. If this can be achieved through the redevelopment of a civic center or the joint use of a general library and city hall, and distribution of books through a warehouse it may be more cost effective. The economic situation requires that we explore all options”

The bids should be concluded by May, 2010, which will allow the City Council to make a final decision regarding the future of the library with specific financial figures.

The proposed site of the downtown library is on a vacant lot at J Street and Park Boulevard in East Village, near Petco Park.

dl3000
Oct 31, 2009, 4:39 PM
Here's what I came across:
http://www.casd.uscourts.gov/uploads/images/courthouse/SD_Cth_New.jpghttp://www.casd.uscourts.gov/uploads/images/courthouse/SD_Cth_New.jpg

Thats the federal not the state courthouse.

And thanks bmfarley, nifty video.

Fusey
Oct 31, 2009, 7:10 PM
The usual weekly article regarding a new stadium for the Chargers:

Chargers, San Diego Talk About Stadium Site
By ERIC S. PAGE and TONY SHIN
Updated 12:38 AM PDT, Sat, Oct 31, 2009

The city of San Diego said it's talking to the San Diego Chargers about sites for a new football stadium.

Years ago, the city said it had bigger problems to tackle than a stadium deal. Since then, the Bolts have courted other area cities, including Chula Vista, Oceanside and, just recently, Escondido.

Now the San Diego mayor's office said it has "re-engaged" the Chargers and confirms that the team is looking at several downtown locations. One of those is apparently a site east of Petco Park where the Wonder Bread Bakery currently stands in the 100 block of 14th street.

Chargers spokesman Mark Fabiani said that the team has been speaking with the mayor's office since January. On Tuesday, Mayor Jerry Sanders and Chargers President Dean Spanos met privately for the first time since the two sides began talks at the beginning of the year.

In a statement, the Mayor said he wanted to make sure that the city of San Diego was still being considered as a possible location "given the prospect of a new stadium in the city of Industry."

Some have speculated that the Chargers could bolt for the Los Angeles area city if a stadium deal were available.

For its part, the mayor's office has said that Sanders would support any fiscally responsible plan to keep the Chargers in the San Diego region.

Fabiani told NBC 7/39 that the Wonder Bread site near Petco Park would be ideal for a stadium. "It'd also be near the convention center and so you can share resources, like parking, trolley stop, everything is there, everything is ready," Fabiani said.
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/sports/Chargers-San-Diego-Talk-About-Stadium-Site-67798277.html

bmfarley
Oct 31, 2009, 7:43 PM

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/sports/Chargers-San-Diego-Talk-About-Stadium-Site-67798277.html
Except, the downtown site is not really the Wonder Bread site. That building has a very small footprint relative to that needed for a stadium.

Additionally, there is another property that has a much larger footprint and greater influence in the region... MTS. Relocating their facilites is possible, but that dimishes their abilties to provide effecient service and comes at a greater public cost... with long term implications.

leftopolis
Nov 1, 2009, 12:35 AM
[QUOTE=dl3000;4533772]Thats the federal not the state courthouse.
/QUOTE]

http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0323/1953/homer_simpson_doh_02_feature.gif

Thanks for clarifying...If I come across the other one, will post!

voice of reason
Nov 1, 2009, 4:36 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2009/sep/30/5293916267/?latest-news

San Diego Airport rated in top 10 by Conde Nast.
When travelers are asked, they nearly always marvel at the location of the airport and its proximity to areas that they want to visit.

I suppose most of you would like to move the airport for your short-sighted reasons and the tourists be damned.

I get the sense that most dont have a clue what it takes to build an economy.

Go back to your computer games, they keep you from grown up activities in the real world.

Derek
Nov 1, 2009, 4:37 PM
That story is old as fuck.

dl3000
Nov 1, 2009, 6:56 PM
[QUOTE=dl3000;4533772]Thats the federal not the state courthouse.
/QUOTE]

http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0323/1953/homer_simpson_doh_02_feature.gif

Thanks for clarifying...If I come across the other one, will post!

No problem. Thanks

dl3000
Nov 1, 2009, 6:58 PM

When travelers are asked, they nearly always marvel at the location of the airport and its proximity to areas that they want to visit.

I suppose most of you would like to move the airport for your short-sighted reasons and the tourists be damned.

Go back to your computer games, they keep you from grown up activities in the real world.

Yeah because thats the only reason the airport is any good. :rolleyes:

Helps to have flights from more markets and the current airport can't do that. Shortsighted my ass.

glowrock
Nov 1, 2009, 7:05 PM

I see San Diego is yet another city stuck in the rut of revolving sports stadiums for greedy-ass teams who want nothing more than to have shiny new facilities built almost entirely on the backs of the taxpayers. How pleasant... ;)

Of course, I'll be the first one to say that Jack Murphy, err, Qualcomm, err, whatever the hell it's called now, is an outdated POS... Building a stadium in or near downtown makes a lot of sense, though I don't think it will do as much for the area as, say, Petco Park did. Not enough games played every year, not enough year-round usage of the stadium...

Aaron (Glowrock)

glowrock
Nov 1, 2009, 7:08 PM

What a freaking joke! While yes, Lindbergh Field has an amazing location for tourists, public transit access to and from the airport is pretty pathetic right now, and of course there's the little problem called the airport is woefully outdated, operates with only one runway, and has absolutely no expansion room whatsoever.

San Diego needs a new airport, no question about it. However, I see no reason why it can't operate with two mid-sized airports, instead of building a huge new one and closing up Lindbergh... Of course, closing Lindbergh would lead to a removal of the 500' height restriction, so that could be a good thing, but the overall costs would probably be prohibitive.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Fusey
Nov 1, 2009, 8:45 PM
Except, the downtown site is not really the Wonder Bread site. That building has a very small footprint relative to that needed for a stadium.

Additionally, there is another property that has a much larger footprint and greater influence in the region... MTS. Relocating their facilites is possible, but that dimishes their abilties to provide effecient service and comes at a greater public cost... with long term implications.

Yeah, that's why this concept is dead on arrival. Even if you moved the bus depot all of the empty trolley cars and stored and maintained nearby. I imagine it shares many of the mechanics, drivers, and supervisors with those at the bus depot.

bmfarley
Nov 3, 2009, 4:03 AM
Yeah, that's why this concept is dead on arrival.Yes, we're in agreement.

mongoXZ
Nov 3, 2009, 2:04 PM
The skyline looks taller thanks to the fog:haha:

http://media.signonsandiego.com/img/photos/2009/11/02/fog_r535x317.jpg?69c6464cadbfb433ae1d817d6edfd5002d4acfe2
courtesy of the U-T

Fusey
Nov 3, 2009, 9:15 PM
America Plaza looks like it's pushing 900 feet. If only...

dl3000
Nov 3, 2009, 9:41 PM
Even if it had the height, the skyline still plateaued. Still, height would be awesome.

HurricaneHugo
Nov 4, 2009, 7:32 AM
is there a higher res version of that pic?

kpexpress
Nov 6, 2009, 9:51 AM
what's up everyone?

bmfarley
Nov 6, 2009, 2:12 PM
what's up everyone?Did you win?

Fusey
Nov 6, 2009, 4:54 PM
what's up everyone?

Nothing, unless you count the founder of Comic-Con dying.

sandiegodweller
Nov 6, 2009, 5:25 PM
Well, at least it is empty. I am sure this will help with the leasing and sales.

These retards should have stopped when the hole for the parking was finished. They would have only had a $10 million problem. Instead, they marched on through the most obvious shitstorm for downtown residential real estate and turned it into a $300 million white elephant.

World biggest tenament coming up.

Water Damages 41 Floors
By R. STICKNEY
Updated 8:45 AM PST, Fri, Nov 6, 2009

Most homeowners have dealt with a water leak from one floor to the next. Imagine that times 41.

A water leak on the 41st floor of the Vantage Pointe Apartments at 9th and A Streets downtown has caused damage throughout the building according to firefighters.

“A lot of water damage,” said Battalion Chief Randy Ballard. “Basically from the 41st floor all the way down there is water damage.”

The fire alarm system was activated Thursday at 6:30 p.m.

The leak fried the high rise tower's electrical system and the management company is required to provide personnel as fire watch until the fire system is restored Ballard said.

The tower was not occupied yet but dry wall and carpeting were in place as the building was nearing completion. The mid and low rise tower still have water service according to Ballard.

No one was injured in the incident and there's no word on what cause the sprinklers to activate.

Vantage Pointe is San Diego's largest and arguably most talked about housing projects. The condos started going up at the height of the housing boom and recently the developer refunded deposits to close to 300 buyers.

kpexpress
Nov 6, 2009, 5:31 PM
Did you win?

I did! I'm having breakfast tomorrow morning with the CCAC president to get caught up on the issues. I will be attending the Nov11 meeting but cannot do much until the election has been ratified by the city council first of Dec.

Fusey
Nov 6, 2009, 5:49 PM
Stadium Talk Spooks Property Owners
Uncertainty clouds chances of landing new tenants

By GENE CUBBISON
Updated 3:45 PM PST, Thu, Nov 5, 2009

The San Diego Chargers' far-flung search for a new stadium has circled back to downtown's East Village -- putting some property owners on edge as to the future of their businesses and development plans.

The owner of the historic building long known as the Wonder Bread Bakery, at 14th Avenue and L Street, was taken by surprise when word leaked last week that San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders met with Chargers President Dean Spanos about the area's feasibility for the stadium project.

"I would hope that they make a quick decision," said Bob Sinclair, who has owned the Wonder Bread building since 1998.

It's among several properties Sinclair still owns in the East Village. He first invested in the neighborhood in 1970, later acquiring title to most of area.

The remodeled, seismically retrofitted Wonder Bread building is only 20 percent leased, and as long as talk continues about a stadium going up on that parcel and others -- including the city's Tailgate Park across the street and the Metro Transit bus yard next door -- Sinclair's chances of filling the building are clouded by uncertainty.

"Tenants have a lot of choices these days," Sinclair said in a sidewalk interview outside the building. "And so they really don't want to go into property that's going to get them condemned and disrupt their lives."

Sinclair noted that he went through similar issues after plans for Petco Park and related redevelopment projects near other holdings of his were first announced and took shape.

"The nature of a project this large takes a long time to play out, and it's going to cause me some grief," Sinclair said, adding that he's willing to discuss the prospect of selling the building.

"I'm just hoping that the mayor and the Spanos family can come to a speedy resolution as to whether they're really going to work to make this site happen -- or move on," Sinclair added. "I hope they don't. I think the Chargers should stay in San Diego, and I think this is a great site."

Darren Pudgil, press secretary for Sanders, said the city also wants a speedy evaluation of the area, as do the Chargers, according to the team's special counsel, Mark Fabiani.

Fabiani said the Spanos family prefers not to have the project come about through eminent domain and court cases over condemnation prices, also saying that the Chargers are looking for willing sellers and potential business partners.

In the meantime, some of Sinclair's new tenants aren't thrilled about the situation.

"Its just a little bit of a surprise that this popped up," said Theron Williams, a principal of OfficePlanit & Olab studio, an office interior design firm that's still moving into its Wonder Bread building quarters.

"Had we known [about the stadium site speculation], we wouldn't have made the investment in the last six months," Williams said.

While Williams is rooting for the the Chargers to find a local site for a new stadium, he hopes it doesn't include the Wonder Bread building.

"Be a shame to tear it down," he said.
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/around-town/real-estate/Stadium-Talk-Spooks-E-Village-Property-Owners-69320477.html

I think it's funny that they ignored MTS and focused on a property owner who doesn't control much of this block.

kpexpress
Nov 6, 2009, 9:12 PM
How does everyone feel about putting the Charger's Stadium in the East Village?

I think it would be awesome to have all those people coming downtown for the games, but am a bit reserved about how the stadium will effect the nieghborhood when there's no event going on. Plus, football stadiums require a lot of parking area. I would hate to have a dead zone in the East Village which will make the Barrio feel even more disconnected from the grid than ever before. Also, what about the cost of moving the MTS mantienance hub?

tdavis
Nov 6, 2009, 9:31 PM

I think it would be awesome to have all those people coming downtown for the games, but am a bit reserved about how the stadium will effect the nieghborhood when there's no event going on. Plus, football stadiums require a lot of parking area. I would hate to have a dead zone in the East Village which will make the Barrio feel even more disconnected from the grid than ever before. Also, what about the cost of moving the MTS mantienance hub?

Keep in mind that a mixed use stadium as you find in many cities now (Dallas Cowboys, OKC Cox Center, etc.) can be used for many other things other than football - i.e. concerts, fairs, festivals, additional sporting events). I hear people state that the stadium would only be full about 8 Sundays per year and that is just wrong.

And regarding parking, there are ways to be creative. The American Airlines Center in downtown Dallas (Mavericks, Stars) is surrounded by mixed use parking garages. The Minneapolis Target Center is also pretty much the same. You drive right off the highway exit into the garage. It's convenient, doesn't take up massive amounts of sprawling space, and can be used for general downtown parking throughout the year.

kpexpress
Nov 6, 2009, 9:59 PM
Keep in mind that a mixed use stadium as you find in many cities now (Dallas Cowboys, OKC Cox Center, etc.) can be used for many other things other than football - i.e. concerts, fairs, festivals, additional sporting events). I hear people state that the stadium would only be full about 8 Sundays per year and that is just wrong.

And regarding parking, there are ways to be creative. The American Airlines Center in downtown Dallas (Mavericks, Stars) is surrounded by mixed use parking garages. The Minneapolis Target Center is also pretty much the same. You drive right off the highway exit into the garage. It's convenient, doesn't take up massive amounts of sprawling space, and can be used for general downtown parking throughout the year.

To my understanding all the stadiums you have mentioned are not football stadiums. And yes, Petco Park does a fabulous job of creating no real dead zones due to their parking (keeping in mind that the tailgate lots are not planned to stay just parking lots), and in fact Petco opens up nicely to the city and and street (J street, K street, Park blvd). If the city does happen to move forward with the downtown football stadium, I hope that its thoroughly integrated within the context (unlike the Q) allowing it to be woven in with day to day activities of the street and neighborhood.

Another couple concerns I have is the article mentioning that they want to move forward quickly with this. I know the need for a new complex is large, but with this scale of a project and considering the impact of the neighborhood I hope they think thoroughly on this and take time to give us an awesome facility (not only awesome to attend a game/concert/ect) but awesome to live nearby and to own a business. That takes a long time to make right.

My other concern is the size of the stadium. 8 downtown blocks (san diego blocks are tiny) is not a lot of room for a world class multi-sports arena. Them considering this site says to me that the city and club is being for shortsighted on their plans for a new complex. It seems as if all they want is a football stadium and that it would be great to hold other events like concert/fairs/expos/ect in there if they can. I would like to see bigger plans for SD. I would love to see a huge multi-use sports complex built to handle summer olympics, FIFA, SuperBowls, and other world wide sporting contests. I know that that's one of the main reasons SD/TJ lost their bid for 2016 (along with the airport problem).

I guess I just can't shake the idea of having an amazing stadium built on the bay with views out to the bay (and in from the bay).

dl3000
Nov 7, 2009, 12:14 AM
To my understanding all the stadiums you have mentioned are not football stadiums. And yes, Petco Park does a fabulous job of creating no real dead zones due to their parking (keeping in mind that the tailgate lots are not planned to stay just parking lots), and in fact Petco opens up nicely to the city and and street (J street, K street, Park blvd). If the city does happen to move forward with the downtown football stadium, I hope that its thoroughly integrated within the context (unlike the Q) allowing it to be woven in with day to day activities of the street and neighborhood.

Another couple concerns I have is the article mentioning that they want to move forward quickly with this. I know the need for a new complex is large, but with this scale of a project and considering the impact of the neighborhood I hope they think thoroughly on this and take time to give us an awesome facility (not only awesome to attend a game/concert/ect) but awesome to live nearby and to own a business. That takes a long time to make right.

My other concern is the size of the stadium. 8 downtown blocks (san diego blocks are tiny) is not a lot of room for a world class multi-sports arena. Them considering this site says to me that the city and club is being for shortsighted on their plans for a new complex. It seems as if all they want is a football stadium and that it would be great to hold other events like concert/fairs/expos/ect in there if they can. I would like to see bigger plans for SD. I would love to see a huge multi-use sports complex built to handle summer olympics, FIFA, SuperBowls, and other world wide sporting contests. I know that that's one of the main reasons SD/TJ lost their bid for 2016 (along with the airport problem).

I guess I just can't shake the idea of having an amazing stadium built on the bay with views out to the bay (and in from the bay).

Wind patterns kept Petco from being open to the bay, I wonder how the NFL would deal with the wind. My guess is it would be a rather closed in facility or a North-South facing field to give Kaeding the best chances at making it through the uprights.

tdavis
Nov 7, 2009, 12:34 AM
To my understanding all the stadiums you have mentioned are not football stadiums.

No they are not, some are though, I was just using those as examples. For instance, the new Dallas Cowboys stadium is part of a huge masterplanned sporting/entertainment development (which includes the Ballpark in Arlington - Texas Rangers). It's a live, work, dine, play themed area.

I just think the days of building a "coliseum" for one purpose is over. It makes financial sense for any new stadium to serve various purposes for the stadium itself, as well as the surrounding development.

S.DviaPhilly
Nov 7, 2009, 6:37 AM

I think the football stadium downtown is an awesome idea. I live in east village and think it would do wonders further east. There is no way that the ballpark area of east village would be this nice, if Petco was never built.

Also, San Diego will never have a Super Bowl until a new stadium is built. Hosting a Super Bowl would generate millions for the city and if the stadium is downtown think of how the harbor would play a role. All the boats and hotels down there would be packed during that time. I know hosting a Super Bowl would be like once every 7 years or so, but as said by others there are many other events that could be held there during the year.

Another attractive reason is that the trolley and the highways and parking are all available right now to support the stadium. Imagine the Chargers stadium on one side and Petco on the other side with the Ballpark Village in between...now that would be something!!!!!

kpexpress
Nov 8, 2009, 8:23 AM
I had a great meeting this morning with the CCAC Chairman and one other CCAC Business Owner Representative. They all seem pretty much in tune with growing a more progressive downtown. I even heard a Jane Jacobs quote. Question: Does it seem that there is a large amount of trash downtown? Like trash is always a problem when there is a large amount of people living in a certain area, but does it seem that this would be a trending topic at a CCAC lunch meeting? I didn't think so, but hey, we're all different with different perspectives.

Looks like the Chairman was interested in putting me on the Preliminary Design Review Sub-Committee, Parking and Transportation Sub-Committee and the East Village Sub-Committee. Excited to get started!

Fusey
Nov 8, 2009, 8:21 PM
Trash doesn't seem to be that big of an issue downtown (at least compared to other major cities I've been to). Some of the sidewalks could probably use a good scrub, though.

tdavis
Nov 8, 2009, 8:51 PM
I've never noticed the trash to be that big of an issue. In fact when visitors of mine come into town they comment on how clean everything is. The only concern they have is the large number of homeless individuals hanging out in the streets and public parks.

Fusey
Nov 8, 2009, 10:29 PM
A critical look at San Diego’s skyline
Anti-modernist to lecture on smart urban planning
BY ROGER SHOWLEY
SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 8, 2009 AT MIDNIGHT

Devotees of suburbs, skyscrapers, zoning and large cities, beware. Léon Krier is coming.

The 63-year-old, anti-modernist, European-born architect and urban planner for Britain’s Prince Charles will make his debut on the local lecture circuit Tuesday in Balboa Park.

Known for his outspoken criticism of skyscrapers, sprawl and zoning, Krier has been called the “intellectual godfather” of neotraditional design and urban planning that favor walkable communities and mixed-use development. He will be signing copies of his latest book, “The Architecture of Community.”

His presentation, “A critical discussion concerning architecture and community building,” is sponsored by the San Diego Council of Design Professionals and San Diego Architectural Foundation.

Howard Blackson, an urban planning consultant who invited Krier to San Diego, said the architect will challenge the current model of building design in San Diego — high-rises downtown and low-rises elsewhere with no transition between them.

“He’s come up with a way of designing in existing neighborhoods and communities so that it has character, what he calls the architectural ‘tuning’ of settlements, like piano tuning,” Blackson said.

Krier is best known as the master planner for Prince Charles’ new town of Poundbury, a 400-acre community of 2,400 homes and related developments near Dorchester, England.

Charles, the 60-year-old heir to the British throne, has been openly critical of modern architecture and planning principles, preferring traditional designs and concepts.

In the U.S., the Congress for the New Urbanism, which has an active chapter in San Diego, had Krier at its most recent conference in Denver, where Blackson extended the invitation to speak here.

“He asks the architectural profession to understand the value of what has gone before us,” Blackson said. “He questions the way students are being taught in (architectural) schools today to design for the future. He’s a traditional architect and urbanist, fighting the powers-that-be modernists, who are tolerant of everything except what came before them.”

Krier, who lives in Washington, D.C., and Aix-en-Provence in southern France, is teaching this semester at Yale University in Connecticut.

Blackson said Krier’s visit will start with a tour of downtown and surrounding neighborhoods before the speech; include a meeting Wednesday with San Diego city Planning Director Bill Anderson and other officials; and conclude with a presentation Thursday to the students and faculty at the NewSchool of Architecture & Design downtown.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2009/nov/08/critical-look-san-diegos-skyline/