PDA

View Full Version : SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161

SD_Phil
Sep 3, 2007, 5:51 AM
^^ That mid-rise isn't a mid-rise so to speak. It is the parking structure.

They must be having a tough time installing that spiffy new radar at Miramar because they still haven't made any vertical progress on the office tower.

Thanks for clarifying! I couldn't tell from the render how far behind the lowrise the other building was. I saw columns and assumed midrise.

My guess is somewhere west of I5 along, or off of, Gilman Drive between Evening Way and Villa La Jolla Drive. Probably east of Gillman tho. Maybe off of a roof or a balcony from one of the condo's there.

I was west of the 5 on La Jolla Scenic Drive (it earns its name) just south of La Jolla Village Drive.

eburress
Sep 4, 2007, 12:11 AM
http://aycu37.webshots.com/image/27716/2002098343224591542_rs.jpg

^^ This is more along the lines of how the University City buildings should be constructed IMO (photo from Bellevue) - not that crappy ass stucco. At least Commons is doing it "right."

Derek
Sep 4, 2007, 2:09 AM
^I was excited until I read the Bellevue part.

bmfarley
Sep 4, 2007, 3:56 AM
^I was excited until I read the Bellevue part.Me too.

mello
Sep 4, 2007, 11:55 PM
When analyzing other metro areas "secondary highrise districts" UTC is pretty weak. For a metro area of 3.6 million our secondary skyline is not up to par.

Minneapolis has St. Paul, Seattle has Bellevue, Toronto has Mississauga, Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston all have many highrise areas.

I don't know why developers have been allowed to get away with such cheap looking buildings. UTC desperately needs a nice tower that is 400 feet plus to shake it of its dated look.

Regarding the hotel boom downtown: I think this is definitely a good thing, I really want the Marriot proposal at Ballpark Village to go through because without that East village may not see anything of significant height for a long time.

500 foot towers in that part of downtown would really add depth to the skyline and give it a third focal point. Right now I think the two focal points are the C street dense corridor and the corridor along Kettner and PCH from Electra over to Bayside.

What is the latest on the Marriot project??

keg92101
Sep 5, 2007, 2:56 AM
Regarding the hotel boom downtown: I think this is definitely a good thing, I really want the Marriot proposal at Ballpark Village to go through because without that East village may not see anything of significant height for a long time.

What is the latest on the Marriot project??

To want a project to go through just for the sake of projects going through is not good policy. Those towers have hideous architecture, and while I think a major Convention Center Hotel is a good thing for the East Village (that area in particular) they need to rearange the program to include more retail. As of right now, there is only 5,000 SF on the ground floor!!! They do have 22,000 SF of restaurant, but it is not on the ground floor.

HurricaneHugo
Sep 5, 2007, 8:18 AM
what? there was a 4.0 earthquake today in the morning?

aww nuts i missed it :(

bmfarley
Sep 5, 2007, 2:42 PM
what? there was a 4.0 earthquake today in the morning?

aww nuts i missed it :(
I was in a stell office building downtown. The ride was cool... my 2nd there.

eburress
Sep 5, 2007, 4:45 PM
^^ Darn - I didn't feel it! :(

SDCAL
Sep 5, 2007, 10:11 PM
I felt the queake downtown, it was a short-lived ride here though

On another note, and please read the disclaimer first:

DISCLAIMER - while the people working at the CCDC office are very friendly, they seem to know even less than what we do form pooling information on this board. I have obtained information there that has not turned out to be true in the past.

With that disclaimer said, let me relay what I was told after inquiring about several projects and their status:

Cosmo Square - I was told this has been sold but is still going forward with the same building plan

Library tower - I was told this was still going to proceed; the people did not seem to have heard of it switching to a hotel, though, which makes me wonder if they don't have the latest information

Main Library - this is the one they were most skeptical about. They said that many people who come in to view the projects complain about the design and that they are still trying to get enough donations to proceed

Embassy1414 - they said this is scheduled to begin construction "very soon"

Federal Courthouse - they said it will still proceed, but it's been scaled down a bit (not as tall) [was asd to hear this because the model showing the original size looks great]

Office building by Petco park - they mentioned an office building designed to resemble the Onmi to flank the ballpark on the opposite side across form the Omni, don't recall seeing any plans on that

Nave Broadway Complex - they said the building that is on the same block as the proposed park needs to be re-designed because it has too much "open space" (a tower on top of a broader lower platform, the tower area needs to be filled in more is what they said).

Anyhow, that was what I got from my inquisitions at the CCDC office today. Like I said, the people were extremely friendly and willing to talk but I didn't feel comfortable the information was all 100% accurate. I hope it is because they seemed pretty optimistic on everything except the main library

mello
Sep 5, 2007, 10:23 PM
Of course I don't want a project just going through for the hell of it keg. I haven't seen the renderings of the Marriott towers, have they been posted here?? I don't think they have. Anyway I want them to have a nice design and a large amount of street level retail which I think they will have once the final proposal is approved.

Concerning an office building built to mirror the Omni: Sounds ok but why not go with something original. I remember there was a proposal about 4 years ago for an office tower on land that is now a parking lot and it did have a curvy side that resembeled Omni, but this was back in 2002 maybe....

SDCAL
Sep 5, 2007, 11:08 PM
Posted date: 9/3/2007

Lindbergh Field To Lufthansa: ‘Come Fly With Us’

Regional Airport in Talks to Land German Carrier
By CONNIE LEWIS

San Diego Business Journal Staff

If the San Diego County Regional Airport Authority’s efforts to lure Lufthansa are successful, the German airline could be the first European carrier to land at Lindbergh Field since British Airways packed its bags and left for the last time in October 2004.

Hampton Brown, who manages the Airport Authority’s route services department, said that talks with the Cologne, Germany-based airline are ongoing and that the agency had recently asked various community organizations, including the San Diego Convention & Visitors Bureau, to send letters to the company voicing support.

“That initiative is one where we need community support to impart to the carrier that we need European service here,” Brown said.

Lufthansa is Europe’s largest airline and the sixth largest in the world with service to nearly 200 destinations in 100 countries around the world. While the carrier’s fleet includes The Boeing Co.’s 747 aircraft that would not be suitable for service to San Diego, its smaller, 247-seat Airbus A310s would be, he said.

Brown declined to speculate on the likelihood of landing the carrier.

“Lufthansa has a lot of opportunities, so it is a very competitive situation,” he said. “They’re (Lufthansa) setting their schedule for next summer soon, and I wouldn’t say there’s a high probability we’ll be in the mix for next year, but 2009 may be a possibility. But we’re in the early stages with this.”

David Peckinpaugh, president and chief executive officer of ConVis, said that in 1999 the county tallied a record 807,000 overseas travelers, an increase of 3.2 percent from 1998. In 2006, the figure had dropped to 650,000.

Nonetheless, figures that the Airport Authority keeps show that there are total of 1,200 passengers a day bound for Europe, including those coming and going from Lindbergh Field.

“That’s more than sufficient in our view to support daily service to a European hub,” Brown said. “San Diego is the largest U.S. city in terms of market size and passengers today without service to Europe.”

Staying Longer, Spending More

The United Kingdom, Germany and Japan are the biggest suppliers of the county’s overseas visitors. The average amount each overseas visitor spends per five-night trip is about $565, compared with an average of $435 that a domestic traveler spends for three-night trips, according to ConVis.

International travelers typically spend more, Peckinpaugh said, because they stay for longer durations.

Brown said that the Airport Authority is pursuing other European and Asian carriers and that Chicago-based Boeing’s new wide-body, twin-engine, 787-8 aircraft helps to open those doors because it appears to be a perfect fit for Lindbergh Field.

In its basic configuration, the 787-8, which was rolled off the factory floor in July for a preview, will have from 210 to 250 seats. Airlines will vary in the number of seats they have for the same plane.
“That’s the perfect size for (accommodating) the San Diego to European and Asian markets,” he said.

He declined to name the airlines that the agency is courting, saying that doing so could tip off competing airports and possibly give them an edge.

“This is like recruiting a factory or a corporation to San Diego,” Brown said. “These assets are limited assets and they’re very valuable.”

Demand For 787s

According to a Boeing spokesman, several European and Asian airlines have orders in for the 787s. These include All Nippon Airways — known as ANA — Japan Airlines, Korean Air and Air Berlin, as well as five Chinese airlines. There are three models, the 787-8, 787-3, which is for short hauls, and 787-9 which accommodates up to 290 seats, but the list does not specify which models the companies ordered.

Currently, international routes from Lindbergh Field are served by AeroMexico, which flies nonstop once daily to Cabo San Lucas, Baja California; Air Canada, which has once daily nonstop flights to Toronto, Ontario, Canada; Air Canada’s Jazz, a regional airline that operates once daily nonstop flights to Vancouver, British Columbia; and Alaska Airlines, which flies once daily nonstop to Cabo San Lucas. US Airways Express also flies a once-weekly route on Saturdays to Puerto Vallarta, Baja California, and another once-weekly Saturday flight to Cabo San Lucas. Both of those are nonstop flights as well. In December, Frontier Airlines will start a seasonal route to Mazatlan on Saturdays only.

Meanwhile, the Airport Authority is studying the feasibility of locating a cross-border airport terminal linked to Tijuana’s Rodriguez International Airport. The study will cost $385,000.

Derek
Sep 6, 2007, 12:18 AM
Office building by Petco park - they mentioned an office building designed to resemble the Onmi to flank the ballpark on the opposite side across form the Omni, don't recall seeing any plans on that

One Park Blvd. anybody?

Derek
Sep 6, 2007, 12:19 AM
I would be so stoked if Lufthansa flew here.

Derek
Sep 6, 2007, 1:08 AM
Anybody know when Virgin America is supposed to begin service here?

eburress
Sep 10, 2007, 11:19 PM
Did anything happen while SSP was down?

Derek
Sep 10, 2007, 11:52 PM
Nothing at all.

bmfarley
Sep 11, 2007, 2:19 AM
Did anything happen while SSP was down?Nope... other than a foo foo parking article in today's UT. I saw that Keg92101 must have been jonsing to post something... her did there.

HurricaneHugo
Sep 11, 2007, 7:03 AM
Did anything happen while SSP was down?

WHAT???!!!

YOU GUYS HAVEN'T HEARD ABOUT IT??!!

WTF??!!

Let me go find the article, this will change things quite a bit!:notacrook:

SDCAL
Sep 11, 2007, 7:07 AM
So, as I posted earlier, the CCDC office told me last week that Library Tower is still a go and Cosmo Square was sold but the purchasers plan to keep the same design

Since I don't trust what they say 100% and since it seems like some people on this board have good connections, can anyone confirm/deny these??

I really hope Cosmo does go through with the same, or similar design. It would really spruce up that block which is in dire need of activity :cool:

SDCAL
Sep 11, 2007, 7:33 AM
WHAT???!!!

WTF??!!

don't keep us in suspense!! what happened??

eburress
Sep 11, 2007, 7:26 PM
WHAT???!!!

WTF??!!

I want you to say that there was an article about the airport moving and/or the downtown height limit being increased to 1000 ft...

...but I sense sarcasm. hahaha

SDCAL
Sep 12, 2007, 12:43 AM
:deadthread:

keg92101
Sep 12, 2007, 2:38 PM

I agree. There is very little new stuff happening right now. I think one of the driving factor's behind the downtown lull is that the retail is not keeping pace with the new residents, and potential residents are waiting for te retail to keep up. I was one of the early birds to move into downtown, thinking that within a year, retail would be in and I would have countless amenities within walking distance. My wife and I are getting pretty fed up with the lack of activity. I think that owners/brokers are seeking too much money and are not looking at the long term picture.

If you visit any other city that has an area experiencing a redevelopment, most buildings have their retail booked prior to occupancy, and many have them slated before construction! It is part of the marketting package. I don't understand why we are so far behind the curve regarding this issue. Typical example is TR Produce. How in the hell is that amazing space not filled?!?!? I know; They keep pushing the rent up. All of these owners would have been better off to sign an excalating lease to get the spaces filled, and continue the synergy of development.

Oh well. At least the fate of our downtown retail, at least around the ball park, lies in the hands of a couple of brokers. great.....

keg92101
Sep 12, 2007, 2:41 PM
If you visit the intracorp website, they no longer have Strata listed as an upcoming project.

Maybe it will be re-entitled as an office building. I think its a great spot for an office building.

bmfarley
Sep 12, 2007, 3:09 PM
If you visit the intracorp website, they no longer have Strata listed as an upcoming project.

Maybe it will be re-entitled as an office building. I think its a great spot for an office building.
Strata.... if that project is located on the southside of Market between 9th & 10th, across from the incoming Bowl, where the dry cleaner currently are, ... Or were, then I've noticed a change. The dry cleaner is out and there's a fence around the building/property.

keg92101
Sep 12, 2007, 3:27 PM
Strata.... if that project is located on the southside of Market between 9th & 10th, across from the incoming Bowl, where the dry cleaner currently are, ... Or were, then I've noticed a change. The dry cleaner is out and there's a fence around the building/property.

I know, and the Strata website is still up and running. Perhaps the project is on the block and they are going to deliver the property scraped and remediated (drycleaner plants typically have contaminated soil)

SDCAL
Sep 12, 2007, 5:10 PM
I know, and the Strata website is still up and running. Perhaps the project is on the block and they are going to deliver the property scraped and remediated (drycleaner plants typically have contaminated soil)

Last week when I went to the CCDC office (or whatever the office is with the model map) they said strata is supposed to start construction "soon", but those people seem to know less than those on this site.

As far as the dry cleaner being out and the fence surrounding it, it has been like that for some time. The dry cleaner left about a year ago and I remember using that dry cleaner a year ago and they told me they were leaving for a condo project, so it does seem to be stalled

I agree with the retail aspects - I live downtown and it's frustrating to walk by all these places (like TR produce) and see grafittin and abandonment in what should be a prime location. I think things will start to fill-in, they put a longs drugs in Alta. I am waiting to see what/how long it takes to get something in the Mark on street level along market. But TR produce has been a mystery to me. It would be the perfect place for a Trader Joe's, Henry's or Whole Foods. Maybe when the Legend is complete and the area sees more activity something will go in there.

Right now downtown just seems to have alot of holes to fill-in. Only Little Italy seems to have the seemless stree-level activity with retail, restaurants, etc. I think Horton Plaza hinders the Gaslamp because it makes the retail and club/bar areas seem more segreagated instead of having retail and restaruants coexisting on the street like you see in NY or other cities. I almost wish there was no Horton Plaza and all the stores were just on the streets of the gaslamp area intermingled with the restaurants and clubs

keg92101
Sep 12, 2007, 6:04 PM
I agree with the retail aspects - I live downtown and it's frustrating to walk by all these places (like TR produce) and see grafittin and abandonment in what should be a prime location. I think things will start to fill-in, they put a longs drugs in Alta. I am waiting to see what/how long it takes to get something in the Mark on street level along market. But TR produce has been a mystery to me. It would be the perfect place for a Trader Joe's, Henry's or Whole Foods. Maybe when the Legend is complete and the area sees more activity something will go in there.

Upper MGT told me that they are looking to go into OM's Southblock Lofts project at 6th & G. Possibly open within the year. Longs Drug's was signed prior to construciton even starting, probably through a connection with the developer. The Mark was set to have Wells Fargo (who backed out, probably when the lease rate was increased), and a Coffee Bean / Peet's. The high lease rates are even driving out/stalling the national chains, let alone, mom & pops

sandiego_urban
Sep 12, 2007, 6:58 PM
Yeah, there hasn't been too much going on lately. But let's not forget that DTSD experienced a boom before many other cities, so it's only natural that our development activity would be slowing down first.

In the meantime, here are some pics I took yesterday of Electra, Sapphire, Vantage Pointe, Bayside and the Hilton:

Electra is turning out to be the beauty we thought she would be. This was taken from the Lane Field parking lot
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/Downtown%20Shots/IMG_0811.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/Downtown%20Shots/IMG_0813.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/Downtown%20Shots/IMG_0797.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/Downtown%20Shots/IMG_0788.jpg

Sapphire looks to be at the 3rd floor. The floorplate looks so small.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/Downtown%20Shots/IMG_0796.jpg

Vantage Pointe is massive.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/Downtown%20Shots/IMG_0832.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/Downtown%20Shots/IMG_0827.jpg

Bayside is above ground
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/Downtown%20Shots/IMG_0801.jpg

The Hilton is moving fast
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/Downtown%20Shots/IMG_0824.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/Downtown%20Shots/IMG_0825.jpg

I should probably post these in the individual development threads, as well.

Derek
Sep 12, 2007, 7:35 PM
^Thanks for posting. :)

sandiegodweller
Sep 12, 2007, 7:52 PM

The rumor is that an apartment developer is looking at it.

sandiegodweller
Sep 12, 2007, 7:55 PM
So, as I posted earlier, the CCDC office told me last week that Library Tower is still a go and Cosmo Square was sold but the purchasers plan to keep the same design

Since I don't trust what they say 100% and since it seems like some people on this board have good connections, can anyone confirm/deny these??

I really hope Cosmo does go through with the same, or similar design. It would really spruce up that block which is in dire need of activity :cool:
Cosmo Square is in foreclosure.

Street 701 ISLAND AVENUE - ETC. VACANT LAND

Assesors Parcel Number 535-115-01-00 535-115-02-00 535-115-03-00 535-115-04-00 535-115-06-00 535-115-07-00 535-115-08-00

Owners SIMPLON BALLPARK L L C

Property Type Vacant Land

LEGAL NTS Recorded Date 2007-07-05

NTS Doc. Number 2007-0448667

TD in Default 2005-1120261

Trustee Sale No. 41594

Trustee FORECLOSURE CONSULTANTS INC

Trustee Phone

SALE INFORMATION

Status SCHEDULED FOR AUCTION

Sale Date 2007-07-27 PP
2007-08-17 PP
2007-08-21 PP
2007-08-31 PP
2007-09-06 PP
2007-09-28
SaleTime 10:00 AM Sale Location S. entrance to the County Courthouse
220 West Broadway, San Diego, Ca Estimated Default $ 16,589,018.08

eburress
Sep 13, 2007, 4:31 AM
Sapphire looks to be at the 3rd floor. The floorplate looks so small.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/Downtown%20Shots/IMG_0796.jpg

Thanks for posting! That's an understatement about Sapphire. I was just thinking that the other day. I hope it's not an illusion either because it seems as if it is going to be one slender tower! I can't wait to see this one go higher!
:)

bmfarley
Sep 14, 2007, 1:54 AM
Thanks for posting! That's an understatement about Sapphire. I was just thinking that the other day. I hope it's not an illusion either because it seems as if it is going to be one slender tower! I can't wait to see this one go higher!
No, I think it is going to be slender. Looking at it from the East or the West, it'll look narrower than most, but looking at it from the South or North... it'll look wider.

eburress
Sep 14, 2007, 1:42 PM
^^ You may be right - I was looking at it from the northeast intersection, so I may have been reacting to the side that faced the east. Definitely a small floorplate.

obendega
Sep 15, 2007, 12:03 AM
This is wild, but I have seen a 747 landing at Lindbergh Field twice now.

I live on 5th Ave right near the flight path and when I looked out the window the first time and saw that monster I though I was hallucinating!

It seems to land around 7:15pm on Thursday nights. Anyone know what it is?

dl3000
Sep 15, 2007, 4:54 PM
There used to be one that was for British Airways that would start a flight in SD then go to Phoenix and then on to London, saw the giant taxi once. That then became a 777 that came from Phoenix and went nonstop to London from SD.

Derek
Sep 15, 2007, 9:28 PM
This is wild, but I have seen a 747 landing at Lindbergh Field twice now.

I live on 5th Ave right near the flight path and when I looked out the window the first time and saw that monster I though I was hallucinating!

It seems to land around 7:15pm on Thursday nights. Anyone know what it is?

I took a USAirways 767 from Philadelphia to San Diego once, but it was a mistake, as the original plane had to be changed at the last minute and a 767 was the only plane available, and was nearly empty.

If I had to guess though, I would guess it is a cargo plane of some kind.

Derek
Sep 15, 2007, 9:39 PM
Double post! :(

Derek
Sep 15, 2007, 10:12 PM
Here it is (I think). It was an Atlas Air cargo plane, carrying smaller planes direct from Portugal for this weekend's plane races around San Diego Bay. Apparently SAN does see it's fair share of 747s and 767s every now and then, from all over the world (and an Airbus 340). Hawaiian Airlines and many of the cargo planes opperate 767s daily, so those don't count.;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/southerncalifornian/604087500/in/set-72157600616233925/

Here is a picture of a Saudi Arabian 747 at Lindbergh Field. :whatthefuck:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/southerncalifornian/604087500/in/set-72157600616233925/?addedcomment=1#comment72157602023685916
http://www.flickr.com/photos/southerncalifornian/603828317/in/set-72157600616233925/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/southerncalifornian/604103154/in/set-72157600616233925/

A JAL 747 for the World Baseball Classic.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/southerncalifornian/116638490/in/set-72157600616233925/

Here is an LAN 767 from Santiago, Chile, forced to land here due to heavy fog at LAX. Another one from Peru was also diverted here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/southerncalifornian/116638490/in/set-72157600616233925/

A North American (Charter) 767 flying into SAN.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/southerncalifornian/120977376/in/set-72157600616233925/

A Delta 767 landing here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/southerncalifornian/40707262/in/set-72157600616233925/

A Saudi Airbus 340 of the Saudi royal family at SAN.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/southerncalifornian/537626626/in/set-72157600616233925/

I was bored, sorry! All photos taken by So Cal Metro on Flickr.

sandiego_urban
Sep 15, 2007, 10:35 PM
What a bummer about Cosmo Square :( . While we knew that some of the proposals wouldn't get far, I was really hoping that this one would. We can only hope that the potential buyer will go ahead with was has already been approved.

It's not an illusion at all. At 32 stories, that will be one slender tower. Let's hope it looks as good as the rendering in the end.

Even though it's not related to downtown, here's the only rendering I've seen of the proposed Charger stadium in Chula Vista. It's crazy that it's hanging off the hill like that.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/downtown%20development%203/st-2.jpg

Derek
Sep 15, 2007, 10:42 PM
^It looks stupid. Keep it in Mission Valley! :(

sandiegodweller
Sep 16, 2007, 5:21 AM
^It looks stupid. Keep it in Mission Valley! :(
If they really try to build a stadium out east in Chula Vista, they will probably lose a huge number of fans going to the games.

A typical NFL game at Qualcomm already costs a few hundred dollars for a family of 4 to attend. The new stadium will certainly be 30% to 40% higher.

Adding an extra hour of travel (and gridlock) time to the experience will make that even worse.

I know that the Q is antiquated and needs to be replaced but I truly believe that the NFL has hit the limit on what people will pay to see games live.

I see arguments that all of the other new stadiums sell out. That is probably true but San Diego already has one of the highest cost per game. I don't know what the limit that people will pay but I imagine that they are approaching it.

Derek
Sep 16, 2007, 5:54 AM
Plus, there won't be a trolley station. :(

(Well, I haven't heard any proposed yet.)

eburress
Sep 16, 2007, 3:38 PM
Oh I don't know. I can't speak to cost, but I know people in other cities drive farther to get to games than people in SD would be driving to get to ones in Chula Vista.

Derek
Sep 16, 2007, 4:42 PM
Plus, the 125 is a toll road. Maybe they want to place it off the 125 on purpose, for added revenue from vehicle traffic. Which is stupid.

bmfarley
Sep 16, 2007, 7:01 PM
Plus, the 125 is a toll road. Maybe they want to place it off the 125 on purpose, for added revenue from vehicle traffic. Which is stupid.I think the stadium should be ina central location near readily available mass transportation. And although the Bayfront site would have 1 or 2 trolley stations near it, it is too far south. To me, ideally a stadium should not be south of downtown San Diego.

My preferred site has not been discussed anywhere but here... Mission Bay Park immediately northwest of I5 - I8 interchange and the SD River; southeast of Fiesta Island. I can imagine after a little terra-forming that plenty of space is avaialble for a stadium, parking, mixed-used retail and residential, more boat slips, and quite possible the area becming the terminal location for the proposed California High Speed Rail Authority (either here or downtown?)

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/farleybrandon/Misc/SportsArena1.jpg

Derek
Sep 16, 2007, 7:09 PM
^I remember you talking about that from the first thread. I totally think that your idea is a very good idea. :tup:

(Though, I think a high speed rail terminal should go downtown. ;))

spoonman
Sep 17, 2007, 1:59 AM
I think the stadium should be ina central location near readily available mass transportation. And although the Bayfront site would have 1 or 2 trolley stations near it, it is too far south. To me, ideally a stadium should not be south of downtown San Diego.

My preferred site has not been discussed anywhere but here... Mission Bay Park immediately northwest of I5 - I8 interchange and the SD River; southeast of Fiesta Island. I can imagine after a little terra-forming that plenty of space is avaialble for a stadium, parking, mixed-used retail and residential, more boat slips, and quite possible the area becming the terminal location for the proposed California High Speed Rail Authority (either here or downtown?)

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/farleybrandon/Misc/SportsArena1.jpg

I think that is a great idea for a location. The only thing is that the environmentalists would be beside themselves.

I also agree that Chula Vista is too far south given traffic and other considerations. The big thing is that it would be stupid for the Chargers to want to move farther south if they plan to stay in this city. All the serious money is north of the 8. These are the people who can afford boxes and season tickets, not to mention ticket's for their buisness purposes.

Derek
Sep 17, 2007, 2:01 AM
I think that is a great idea for a location. The only thing is that the environmentalists would be beside themselves.

Because that is such a desirable location for wildlife and the water is so clean. :rolleyes:

Marina_Guy
Sep 17, 2007, 2:17 AM
I agree. There is very little new stuff happening right now. I think one of the driving factor's behind the downtown lull is that the retail is not keeping pace with the new residents, and potential residents are waiting for te retail to keep up. I was one of the early birds to move into downtown, thinking that within a year, retail would be in and I would have countless amenities within walking distance. My wife and I are getting pretty fed up with the lack of activity. I think that owners/brokers are seeking too much money and are not looking at the long term picture.

If you visit any other city that has an area experiencing a redevelopment, most buildings have their retail booked prior to occupancy, and many have them slated before construction! It is part of the marketting package. I don't understand why we are so far behind the curve regarding this issue. Typical example is TR Produce. How in the hell is that amazing space not filled?!?!? I know; They keep pushing the rent up. All of these owners would have been better off to sign an excalating lease to get the spaces filled, and continue the synergy of development.

Oh well. At least the fate of our downtown retail, at least around the ball park, lies in the hands of a couple of brokers. great.....

This is very true. I think CCDC could do all of us downtowners a favor and require developers to offer subsidized rent on ground floor retail, or at least escalating rents. If someone wants to have some fun, go take pictures of ALL the ground floor retail for rent in Downtown. That aint a pretty picture, in fact it is depressing. Time for the developers to see the reality that retailers don't want to pay $3 or $4 or $5 a foot for the stuff. In order for downtown to succeed it needs good retail, enlivened streets, and a neighborhood feel.

HurricaneHugo
Sep 17, 2007, 4:16 AM
there's also another proposed site in CV, on the bay, where some power plant is on right now

mello
Sep 17, 2007, 9:31 PM
Because that is such a desirable location for wildlife and the water is so clean. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know what the city plans to do with that huge chunk of prime land just sitting there west of I-5 and south of Fiesta Island. Hmmmm just another underutilized peace of land that the city is probably hemmiraging (sp.?) money on....

I think that would also be a great place for a stadium. I can't believe that a deal can't be worked out between the city, Spanos, and another developer. Think of all the land there is that is sitting vacant: Sports Arena, Qualcomm, the aforementioned Mission Bay site. Plus all that land where the people were supposed to have moved out of there mobile homes at the North East corner of Mission Bay.

Derek
Sep 17, 2007, 10:21 PM
I don't even think that plot of land has been looked at by the Chargers or anybody, I think it's only popped up here on the forum.

ucsbgaucho
Sep 18, 2007, 2:45 PM
STADIUM SITE SEARCH
'World-class' complex proposed at Qualcomm

By Ronald W. Powell
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

September 18, 2007

A local real estate and finance firm is pitching a plan to city and county officials to convert Qualcomm Stadium into a $2.2 billion sports, entertainment, residential and commercial development that would include a new Chargers stadium and an arena.

The plan is to convert Qualcomm into a sports arena by renovating and enclosing it. It would become the home of a professional basketball or hockey team and would host concerts and trade shows, according to a proposal by CB Richard Ellis Capital Markets Debt and Equity Finance.

“This would create a world-class sports and entertainment destination for San Diego,” said Jeff Rice, senior financial analyst for CB Richard Ellis, who developed the plan over four years. “It would be a place that could host Super Bowls, soccer championships, major concerts and trade shows.”

City and county officials said yesterday that they have not had time to analyze the plan.

Ellis said developing the property could generate millions for the city in annual hotel room, property, sales and other taxes. The city currently operates the stadium at an annual deficit of about $10 million.

The proposal includes about 20 projects at the 166-acre Qualcomm Stadium property that would be built in phases over about 20 years. They include four hotels, office buildings with retail space, 1,500 apartments, student housing, three parking garages, a shopping center, a 16-acre park and an electronic display similar to Times Square in New York City.

The Chargers and the National Football League would pay most of the costs for the new stadium, with the city and county pitching in $50 million each in bond financing for a $600 million facility – a cost the Chargers believe is low. The city also would be expected to contribute an additional $50 million in bond financing for a $190 million arena.

Rice, a San Diego State University graduate, said he began researching the proposal because he feared his alma mater would not have a place to play football if the Chargers developed a stadium in another city. He said the plan was developed independently of a group of businessmen who have been working on their own stadium development plan for the Qualcomm site.

He said the plan is “fiscally responsible” and should be considered by the city if it wants to make money at the Mission Valley site.

“If the mayor doesn't deem that this plan has enough merit to pursue it, then what can you do?” Rice said. “It's pretty much a dead issue.”

Some elements of the Ellis proposal are similar to a development plan that the Chargers proposed for the Qualcomm Stadium site in 2003. But the Chargers wanted to build more than 6,000 condos, which would have required the city to give the team ownership of the acreage where the housing was built. Team executives abandoned that plan in early 2006.

The Chargers are now evaluating two sites in Chula Vista and one in Oceanside for a new stadium. A group of businessmen, including members of the San Diego Regional Economic Development Corp., were working on a Qualcomm Stadium development option in case efforts failed in Chula Vista and Oceanside. But they say the focus should now be on the two Chula Vista sites that were identified as best suited for a stadium in a study released last week.

Under the Ellis plan, the real estate firm would oversee the deal and bring in a master developer to organize the project. Separate developers would handle parts of the plan after entering into long-term leases with the city. Once the debt was retired on any project within the development, the developer would have the right to negotiate with the city to buy that portion of the property.

The Chargers have met with Rice about his plan but aren't optimistic.

“The basic fact is that a project of this magnitude is unlikely to move ahead in a city like San Diego, where you have an indifferent mayor and an openly hostile city attorney,” Fabiani said.

Mayor Jerry Sanders has a copy of the proposal but has not had time to review it. City Attorney Michael Aguirre said he had not read it, nor had Councilwoman Donna Frye, whose district includes Qualcomm Stadium.

A spokesman for county Supervisor Ron Roberts said he had not read it.

Supervisor Dianne Jacob said she had not seen the proposal, but she supports a new stadium at the Qualcomm site as part of a “world-class sports complex.” Her idea includes youth sports facilities, trails, parks and housing and educational facilities for SDSU.

Derek
Sep 19, 2007, 1:23 AM
That article is so negative. :(

I don't really like it though. The idea is good, but Qualcomm needs to be completely replaced, not just "convert" it. A city like San Diego should not have an enclosed stadium anyways. A new "sports arena" should be an entirely different project located elsewhere away from the Chargers' stadium.

HurricaneHugo
Sep 19, 2007, 6:12 AM
Alta looks good with that new Longs Pharmacy creating some foot traffic. :D

ucsbgaucho
Sep 19, 2007, 3:18 PM
That article is so negative. :(

I don't really like it though. The idea is good, but Qualcomm needs to be completely replaced, not just "convert" it. A city like San Diego should not have an enclosed stadium anyways. A new "sports arena" should be an entirely different project located elsewhere away from the Chargers' stadium.

I think they meant that the Q would somehow be turned into a basketball/hockey arena, in addition to building a new football stadium. I dont know how they'd save any money using the existing Q structure though, a football stadium is SOOO much larger than a normal basketball arena, seems like it would cost less to just demolish the Q and build from scratch. What a spectacular demolition that would be!

Derek
Sep 19, 2007, 10:04 PM
Oh, I see what you are saying.:)

But I still think that a sports arena and a football stadium should not be located right next to each other.

HurricaneHugo
Sep 20, 2007, 3:12 AM
Word. A sports arena needs to be downtown.

Derek
Sep 20, 2007, 4:24 AM
^Definitely.

sandiego_urban
Sep 20, 2007, 5:20 AM
Alta looks good with that new Longs Pharmacy creating some foot traffic. :D
Cool, it's finally open. What a great addition to the neighborhood.

I know it's got nothing to do with downtown, but I'm just excited that H & M is finally coming!! :tup:

Fashion Valley Adds Unique Luxury Stores to Strengthen Position as San Diego County's High Fashion Leader

PR Newswire - Simon Announces CH Carolina Herrera, Tourneau, Hermes, Michael Kors and More -

September 19, 2007

SAN DIEGO, Sept. 19 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Simon Property Group, Inc. , the country's largest owner, developer and manager of high quality retail real estate, announced today a wave of exciting tenants, almost all of them completely new to San Diego County, that will be coming to Fashion Valley. These new retailers position Fashion Valley as the unquestioned home of luxury retail in San Diego.

Area residents and tourists will be able to shop at the following luxury retailers in 2008, all of whom have chosen Fashion Valley to open their first store in San Diego. These desirable locations include: Barney's New York COOP, CH Carolina Herrera, Hermes, Jimmy Choo, Just Cavalli, M Missoni, Michael Kors and Tourneau.

A great collection of trend leaders will also call Fashion Valley home in 2008. These stores include Anthropologie, H&M, Juicy Couture and True Religion.

"Today's announcement solidifies Fashion Valley's prominence in the San Diego market," said Gary Lewis, executive vice president of leasing at Simon. "We truly believe that the San Diego region need not be underserved in the luxury market, and the great retailers who will be here in 2008 are an ideal fit for our Fashion Valley customer who expects nothing less than extraordinary merchandise and service."

"I just adore Southern California. Fashion Valley is fantastic," said Carolina Herrera. "I love how you can walk around in the sun to see all the other great shops. I cannot wait to open my own CH Carolina Herrera boutique there." Fashion Valley's CH Carolina Herrera boutique, scheduled to open in October, will have a warm and inviting atmosphere that features women's and men's collections as well as an extensive accessory collection.

"We feel Fashion Valley is clearly the right entry point for Tourneau in the San Diego market and is positioned correctly and that the results of the center are spectacular," said Howard Levitt, president of Tourneau. Tourneau, the foremost designer of luxury watches, plans to open on December 1 with 1,752 square feet of retail space.

Fashion Valley is a 1.7 million square feet super-regional shopping center located in San Diego. Anchors include Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's, Macy's and JCPenney. Fashion Valley is one of only three venues in the world with the combination of Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's. Fashion Valley's 18 million annual shopper visits makes its following larger than the combined annual attendance of San Diego destinations such as Sea World, Legoland, San Diego Padres, San Diego Chargers, Del Mar Thoroughbred Club, The San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park.

Simon Property Group, Inc. is an S&P 500 company and the largest public U.S. real estate company. Simon is a fully integrated real estate company which operates from five retail real estate platforms: regional malls, Premium Outlet Centers(R), The Mills(R), community/lifestyle centers and international properties. It currently owns or has an interest in 380 properties comprising 258 million square feet of gross leasable area in North America, Europe and Asia. The Company is headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana and employs more than 5,000 people worldwide. Simon Property Group, Inc. is publicly traded on the NYSE under the symbol SPG. For further information, visit the Company's website at www.simon.com.

Derek
Sep 20, 2007, 5:34 AM
Fashion Valley is becoming too upscale for me.

But, they still have sweet hat kiosks. :)

keg92101
Sep 20, 2007, 2:03 PM
[QUOTE=sandiego_urban;3064511]Cool, it's finally open. What a great addition to the neighborhood.

I know it's got nothing to do with downtown, but I'm just excited that H & M is finally coming!! :tup:

Fashion Valley Adds Unique Luxury Stores to Strengthen Position as San Diego County's High Fashion Leader

PR Newswire - Simon Announces CH Carolina Herrera, Tourneau, Hermes, Michael Kors and More -

September 19, 2007

SAN DIEGO, Sept. 19 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Simon Property Group, Inc. , the country's largest owner, developer and manager of high quality retail real estate, announced today a wave of exciting tenants, almost all of them completely new to San Diego County, that will be coming to Fashion Valley. These new retailers position Fashion Valley as the unquestioned home of luxury retail in San Diego.

Area residents and tourists will be able to shop at the following luxury retailers in 2008, all of whom have chosen Fashion Valley to open their first store in San Diego. These desirable locations include: Barney's New York COOP, CH Carolina Herrera, Hermes, Jimmy Choo, Just Cavalli, M Missoni, Michael Kors and Tourneau.

A great collection of trend leaders will also call Fashion Valley home in 2008. These stores include Anthropologie, H&M, Juicy Couture and True Religion.

"Today's announcement solidifies Fashion Valley's prominence in the San Diego market," said Gary Lewis, executive vice president of leasing at Simon. "We truly believe that the San Diego region need not be underserved in the luxury market, and the great retailers who will be here in 2008 are an ideal fit for our Fashion Valley customer who expects nothing less than extraordinary merchandise and service."QUOTE]

This is kind of a bummer. I was hoping that there would be more Flagships opening up in downtown. Unfortunately, developers/brokers didn't have the foresight to entice these retailers into downtown, thus continuing the building boom.

No developers other than JMI understand that to succeed long term, one needs to take risk. JMI took an enourmous risk in developing the ballpark, and they have reaped tremendous benifits. Residential developers were merely riding the wave, not investing anything in the retail portion (leasing at lower rates) to help themselves with continued sales.

ShekelPop
Sep 20, 2007, 11:54 PM
This is kind of a bummer. I was hoping that there would be more Flagships opening up in downtown. Unfortunately, developers/brokers didn't have the foresight to entice these retailers into downtown, thus continuing the building boom.

No developers other than JMI understand that to succeed long term, one needs to take risk. JMI took an enourmous risk in developing the ballpark, and they have reaped tremendous benifits. Residential developers were merely riding the wave, not investing anything in the retail portion (leasing at lower rates) to help themselves with continued sales.

We may see some high end around NBC. As for the ground level in the rest of downtown, the upside is that on average, it takes till the third lessee (in a redevelopment area/urban creative class type of neighborhood) to establish a permanent and successful retail location. Though disappointing for now, I wouldnt have expected anything substantive, and especially on a flagship level, immediately out of the gates for most locations. The exceptions are the Cafe Chloe's and 222's of the hood.

sandiego_urban
Sep 21, 2007, 6:50 AM

Let's just wait and see what happens when Westfield announces their renovation plans for Horton Plaza. I'm sure when they turn it "inside out", we'll be seeing a whole new tenant mix there. As ShekelPop said, NBC has potential to draw some big retail names when it's completed. But first and foremost, we should be more concerned about the existing retail space there is now.

On the subject of malls, I don't think I ever read any discussion here about Westfield's plans to build 4 high rise towers, as part of UTC's massive expansion plans that were announced last month. Of course the NIMBY's will have a field day with this one.

In case you missed the article:

Planned Expansion of UTC Could Cause Serious Concerns

City analysis lists potential impacts

By Chet Barfield
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

August 13, 2007

SAN DIEGO – A plan to nearly double the size of the University Towne Centre mall while adding offices, hotel rooms and residential units would generate nearly 18,000 additional vehicle-trips a day and pose other serious environmental concerns, according to a report issued last week.

The 650-page analysis by the city's Development Services Department found that even if four proposed 30-story towers were eliminated from the $900 million project, “significant and unmitigable impacts associated with traffic, air quality and solid waste would still occur.”

Westfield America wants to add 750,000 square feet of retail space to the University City mall, which opened in 1977 and was expanded in 1984 to just over 1 million square feet.

The company also wants to erect four buildings of 325 feet to 390 feet for up to 35,000 square feet of office suites, 250 hotel rooms and 725 apartments or condominiums. Those proposals would require zoning changes and master-plan amendments to the site's current height limit of 60 feet.

A Westfield senior vice president, Jonathan Bradhurst, said the plan to build upward is “creating great live, work and play environments” on what is now “an ocean of asphalt” parking lot.”

But a University City-based environmental group, Friends of Rose Canyon, is opposing the height variances, traffic impacts and overall scope of the proposed expansion.

“It's way out of scale,” the group's president, Deborah Knight, said of the proposed project. “It basicly busts the community plan wide open . . . and that sets a precedent.”

Westfield proposes to lessen traffic impacts by paying for added lanes and improvements on La Jolla Village Drive and surrounding streets, as well as widening nearby Interstate 805 offramps.

Most of the air-quality impacts cited in the report related to dust from construction. Westfield hopes to start building next year, keeping the mall open while sections are being renovated. After a final environmental report, the project would require approval from planning commissioners and the City Council.

In other environmental concerns, the draft report found the project would generate up to 358,000 gallons of sewage per day and that Westfield would have to pay for system upgrades. It would also send up to 2,578 tons of solid waste a year to the landfill.

The proposed project would use up to 281,000 gallons of water per day, three times the mall's current usage of about 89,000 gallons, the report said.

Westfield's plans include a $25 million transit station, providing access to express buses and possible future light-rail service to the area. Development Services Director Marcela Escobar-Eck said such mass-transit amenities would help offset the traffic impacts.

The report can be reviewed at the development services office and branch libraries in Clairemont and University City. Comments will be accepted through Sept. 24 and should be sent to Martha Blake, senior planner, City of San Diego Development Services Center, 1222 First Ave. MS 501, San Diego, CA 92101.

Additional information can be obtained by calling (619) 446-5000.

Derek
Sep 21, 2007, 1:40 PM
Go UTC! :)

keg92101
Sep 21, 2007, 3:06 PM
We may see some high end around NBC. As for the ground level in the rest of downtown, the upside is that on average, it takes till the third lessee (in a redevelopment area/urban creative class type of neighborhood) to establish a permanent and successful retail location. Though disappointing for now, I wouldnt have expected anything substantive, and especially on a flagship level, immediately out of the gates for most locations. The exceptions are the Cafe Chloe's and 222's of the hood.

Go to Washington DC's U Street or 14th Street. Look at San Francisco's SOMA / Ballpark area. These places opted to place the retail right away (not sure if it was subsidized) and it helped to move the neighborhood along more quickly.

bmfarley
Sep 21, 2007, 3:12 PM
From today's Daily Business Journal:

The Downtown Burger King restaurant at B Street and 10th Avenue, the one thousands drive by each day as they head toward Highway 163 or Interstate 5 north, is going to become an $88.6 million, 23-story, 229-unit affordable housing project. When it opens, it will have a mix of units -- including 70 three bedrooms -- and be affordable to those earning 25 percent to 60 percent of median income.

The project, known as Ten Fifty B, was approved yesterday by the CCDC board. The developer, Affirmed Housing Group of San Diego, will receive $34 million in CCDC affordable housing funds to help underwrite the project. (The agency has $103 million in its low and moderate housing budget for fiscal 2008, money it must spend on such housing in order to comply with state redevelopment law.)

The CCDC subsidy is about $150,000 per affordable unit, or $84,000 per bedroom.

Affirmed, which is owned by James Silverwood, also expects to use $45 million in housing revenue bonds to build the project. The remainder of the funding would come from tax credits ($4.9 million), private investment ($2.4 million) and a deferred developer fee ($250,000).

Turner Construction will be the general contractor.

After acquiring the property -- expected to happen by Feb. 28 -- Affirmed will hand title back to CCDC. It then will pay the agency $5.38 million in lease payments over the next 60 years, after which time the agency will own the residential portion of the building free and clear.

If all goes to plan, construction will start in April and finish by March 2010.

I believe this is the CCDC project website: http://www.ccdc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=projects.projectDetail&propertyID=614

And image:

http://www.ccdc.com/images/propertyImages/10th&B%20%20%20C17.jpg

SDCAL
Sep 21, 2007, 5:29 PM
[QUOTE=sandiego_urban;3066705]Let's just wait and see what happens when Westfield announces their renovation plans for Horton Plaza. I'm sure when they turn it "inside out", we'll be seeing a whole new tenant mix there. As ShekelPop said, NBC has potential to draw some big retail names when it's completed. But first and foremost, we should be more concerned about the existing retail space there is now QUOTE]

Sounds great, but are there actually any realistic plans being discussed to turn Horton "inside-out"???? I didn't know Westfield was planning on rennovating it.

I used to cringe whenever I saw Westfield signs on every mall, it was like the "Wal-Martization" of malls - - the big companies swoop in and everything becomes just like everything else taking away all character. I guess the upside of a huge corporation like Westfield is they do have the money to accomplish mass-rennovation

I was in UTC the other day and saw they were building a Crate and Barrel, not one of the little ones we see at Fashion Valley and UTC malls, but a seperate building on the northeast side of the parking lot that looks like it will be the size of a department store!!

SDCAL
Sep 21, 2007, 5:35 PM
^^ the ten fifty B rendering looks decent and we need affordable housing downtown, I hope the project proceeds

SDCAL
Sep 21, 2007, 5:39 PM
Go to Washington DC's U Street or 14th Street. Look at San Francisco's SOMA / Ballpark area. These places opted to place the retail right away (not sure if it was subsidized) and it helped to move the neighborhood along more quickly.

That is what's so depressing about Horton Plaza. I have a feeling if we didn't have so much retail confined behind the walls of a hideous-looking 80s style mall in the middle of downtown, alot of those retail stores would be more dispersed throughout the gaslamp and east village, filling up some of the vacant space we have around dt :hell:

eburress
Sep 21, 2007, 5:41 PM
^^ I really like that building and think it's on a spot that's really going to help fill out downtown while at the same time taking some of the edge off of the massive Vantage Pointe building.

Derek
Sep 21, 2007, 10:03 PM
From today's Daily Business Journal:

I believe this is the CCDC project website: http://www.ccdc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=projects.projectDetail&propertyID=614

And image:

http://www.ccdc.com/images/propertyImages/10th&B%20%20%20C17.jpg

Looks like an excellent project. I would love to see this one go through.:tup:

Filambata
Sep 22, 2007, 3:13 PM
That is what's so depressing about Horton Plaza. I have a feeling if we didn't have so much retail confined behind the walls of a hideous-looking 80s style mall in the middle of downtown, alot of those retail stores would be more dispersed throughout the gaslamp and east village, filling up some of the vacant space we have around dt :hell:

Keep in mind that Horton Plaza was built during a time when downtown was a relatively dangerous place to be in. Stores needed to be in a "fortress," and the mall was constructed accordingly, away from the streets. Of course, circumstances have changed, and perhaps that a good enough reason to call for a redesign of the mall. However, I don't think we should be too quick to condemn Horton Plaza as it is now; it has served its purpose well.

eburress
Sep 22, 2007, 6:49 PM
Without a doubt. Horton Plaza was one of the main reasons for downtown's rebirth. I do hope the mall can eventually be reconfigured to blend in better with the surrounding city...pedestrian-only streets running through, stores on the exterior with residential, hotels, and/or offices above.

Derek
Sep 22, 2007, 7:44 PM
I'm picturing something like Santa Monica's Third Street Promenade.

HurricaneHugo
Sep 23, 2007, 1:17 AM
Speaking about Horton Plaza...

what's up with the HIDEOUS orange paint job on the balboa theater?

HurricaneHugo
Sep 24, 2007, 12:16 AM
God damn Chargers....

SDCAL
Sep 24, 2007, 3:28 AM
http://www.ccdc.com/images/propertyImages/Strata_Final.jpg

It looks like these one might actually break ground soon in EV!

Along both 10th and 9th south of market they have put up wooden sidewalk 'tunnels' and have added an advertisement sign on the 9th ave side. It will look nice adding to the high-rise row on the south side of market next to the mark

They still need to level the old dry-cleaner

Hopefully Hotel Indigo, scheduled to go in next to it, will break ground soon as well - - -

:D

Derek
Sep 24, 2007, 3:51 AM
Oh, I thought Strata was dead (for now).

I have always liked that tower though. It's unique. :)

Hotel Indigo would look good, too. ;)

Marina_Guy
Sep 24, 2007, 4:16 AM
Rumor has it that the Cosmo. Square team has cured their default and will bring the project back as both a condo and hotel project... Design to stay the same..

Let's wait and see.

Derek
Sep 24, 2007, 4:22 AM
They are still advertising on site actually.

SDCAL
Sep 24, 2007, 5:03 AM
Rumor has it that the Cosmo. Square team has cured their default and will bring the project back as both a condo and hotel project... Design to stay the same..

Let's wait and see.

wow, cool!! hadn't heard that - - is the rumor from a reliable source? ;)

doing some or all of the project as a hotel would make sense

SDCAL
Sep 24, 2007, 5:19 AM
Right in between the ballpark self sotrage and a hotel, I have noticed some dmeolition work going on, as well as an application for commercial space posted a couple weeks ago.

I don't see anything on CCDC, but did find plans on an architect's website for a building called 'Nolan' - - - anyone have any info on this??? I hope it is the project that they are demolishing and making plans for, check out the site:

http://www.fehlmanlabarre.com/#home

go to 'projects'

'commercial'

'the Nolan'

mongoXZ
Sep 24, 2007, 8:00 AM
:previous: Yeah that was mentioned here a few months ago in reference to a San Diego Metro article. It's one of those specialized boutique commerial spaces that's supposed to bring in more high-end office workers to the East Village.

keg92101
Sep 24, 2007, 9:05 PM
Right in between the ballpark self sotrage and a hotel, I have noticed some dmeolition work going on, as well as an application for commercial space posted a couple weeks ago.

I don't see anything on CCDC, but did find plans on an architect's website for a building called 'Nolan' - - - anyone have any info on this??? I hope it is the project that they are demolishing and making plans for, check out the site:

http://www.fehlmanlabarre.com/#home

go to 'projects'

'commercial'

'the Nolan'

It is being done by the Boys of Stingaree / Sidebar / Witherbee

Derek
Sep 24, 2007, 10:06 PM
I like the buildnig. Too bad it has to be located next to the hideous Ballpark Self Storage.

Speaking of the Ballpark Self Storage, are there any plans to replace it?

Marina_Guy
Sep 25, 2007, 1:00 AM
http://www.ccdc.com/images/propertyImages/Strata_Final.jpg

It looks like these one might actually break ground soon in EV!

Along both 10th and 9th south of market they have put up wooden sidewalk 'tunnels' and have added an advertisement sign on the 9th ave side. It will look nice adding to the high-rise row on the south side of market next to the mark

They still need to level the old dry-cleaner

Hopefully Hotel Indigo, scheduled to go in next to it, will break ground soon as well - - -

:D

Last I heard this was being converted to apartments (funny didnt everything used to convert to condos)... It is being done by the same group that did the Current Apts in Little Italy (which I think is a nice project)... It is supposed to go forward and break ground by the end of the year...

Marina_Guy
Sep 25, 2007, 1:02 AM
wow, cool!! hadn't heard that - - is the rumor from a reliable source? ;)

doing some or all of the project as a hotel would make sense

Very reliable source... but they just cured the default... I don't know if they have the rest of the $$$ to actually build the darn thing.

BTW the architect for the project (New York based firm) died recently. Very sad.

bmfarley
Sep 25, 2007, 4:06 AM
I smell snow-job on the Strata project. Don't get me wrong, I want to see the project move forward, but since when are sidewalk tunnel type things errected to protect pedetrians from a simple demolition of a concrete block 1-story building??? Huh? Additionally, those things were put together elsewhere and dropped off. They don't appear at all intended to last more than 3-4 weeks at most! They are tilting on 10th!

I hypothesize that the would-be Strata developer has arranged a drive-by for a potential investor.

No?

sandiegodweller
Sep 25, 2007, 5:33 AM
I smell snow-job on the Strata project. Don't get me wrong, I want to see the project move forward, but since when are sidewalk tunnel type things errected to protect pedetrians from a simple demolition of a concrete block 1-story building??? Huh? Additionally, those things were put together elsewhere and dropped off. They don't appear at all intended to last more than 3-4 weeks at most! They are tilting on 10th!

I hypothesize that the would-be Strata developer has arranged a drive-by for a potential investor.

No?
I heard that the Hanover Company was looking at it for apartments.

They framed up the walkways on Friday and Saturday. I spoke with the carpenters but they didn't know anything.

HurricaneHugo
Sep 25, 2007, 7:32 AM
I spoke with the carpenters but they didn't know anything.

You speak Spanish?!

visionary
Sep 25, 2007, 5:26 PM
Hanover purchased Strata from Intracorp. They are demo-ing this week and will begin digging in early October. This project is happening...this is not a show.
Same exterior design, same height, but fewer floors and units. They are increasing the ceiling heights and increasing the size of the units. Hanover will be doing luxury apartments there.

mongoXZ
Sep 25, 2007, 6:41 PM
:previous: Nice!

keg92101
Sep 25, 2007, 8:01 PM
Hanover purchased Strata from Intracorp. They are demo-ing this week and will begin digging in early October. This project is happening...this is not a show.
Same exterior design, same height, but fewer floors and units. They are increasing the ceiling heights and increasing the size of the units. Hanover will be doing luxury apartments there.

Verified. The LLC that ownes it, Stata Companies has the same address as Hanover Co...in San Felipe Texas.

Derek
Sep 26, 2007, 2:42 AM
I like. :tup:

sandiego_urban
Sep 26, 2007, 6:41 AM
That's great news about Ten Fifty B, Strata and Cosmopolitan Square!! :)

Sounds great, but are there actually any realistic plans being discussed to turn Horton "inside-out"???? I didn't know Westfield was planning on rennovating it.
I exchanged e-mails with the GM of Horton Plaza sometime last year, who said they were planning a massive overhaul of the entire center that includes opening up the mall on all sides to the streets. Do you recall the announcement of possibly putting an office building at the site of the former Planet Hollywood building? Well, this is part of the big renovation, along with a new hotel tower along G St.

Westfield is currently expanding Plaza Bonita and has recently announced plans to expand both UTC and North County Fair. I'm sure the Horton plans will be released soon, don't you think?

I was in UTC the other day and saw they were building a Crate and Barrel, not one of the little ones we see at Fashion Valley and UTC malls, but a seperate building on the northeast side of the parking lot that looks like it will be the size of a department store!!
UTC is in the process of doubling it's size, and should give Fashion Valley a run for it's money. Check out the expansion plans here
http://westfield.com/thenewutc/vision/index.html

sandiego_urban
Sep 26, 2007, 7:15 AM
Shots of the skyline that I took yesterday. It's expanding and filling in nicely :tup:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/IMG_1123.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/IMG_1169.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/IMG_1154.jpg