PDA

View Full Version : SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 [146] 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161

MN/WI
Dec 12, 2019, 1:45 AM
That Manchester Pacific Gateway looks great. I remember about 10 years ago while visiting San Diego and the Midway, how that land was begging for redevelopment.

Dale
Dec 12, 2019, 2:32 AM
That Manchester Pacific Gateway looks great. I remember about 10 years ago while visiting San Diego and the Midway, how that land was begging for redevelopment.

When I first visited SD, in 1990, there were active plans for those lots.

superfishy
Dec 13, 2019, 2:41 PM
It has been painfully slow at 11th & E. I will say I have seen them working on the site consistently ever since their second Pinnacle on Park tower was completed. I don't know if it's just a dearth of construction workers, them wanting to get the red tower finished first, or some site issues at 11th, but they are moving things along now. It's just hard to believe they started that tower around the same time at the Block by Bosa, and that project is almost halfway done lol.

Pinnacle is one of the few developers building high-rises downtown (5 or 6 in the pipeline, now, correct?), but it appears they're going to take a one tower at a time approach :p

Wasn't a small fault line discovered right around there particularly at the undeveloped lot adjacent to Smart Corner? Perhaps that's causing some issues.

mello
Dec 13, 2019, 7:40 PM
Has anyone heard rumors of what JMI wants to develop on the lot they still own behind PetCo where the pedestrian bridge comes down? There was an article about 6 months ago saying they got permission to boost the density on that lot signaling an announcement of a pending project.

Also excited to see the proposals for the Lexus Parking Lot behind Park 12 that the city is now selling and taking RFPs. I wanted an arena there but looks like that dream is gone now. No downtown arena possible will have to be a new one in the Midway/Rosecrans area.

CrookedRecords
Dec 13, 2019, 11:16 PM
I had a moment to call the local corporate office yesterday and they had no comment on the delays/slow pace of that project. I told them I was a real estate agent and everyone in the industry is wondering whats going on with the project and the lady said we can't comment on it. So hopefully they get their act together and progress speeds up.

Still waiting on ground breakings for 1st and Beech, CA Theatre, Alexan Little Italy, and the Little Italy Parking garage highrise on Kettner.... Lets get these going guys. :cheers:

I doubt that many people in the corporate office know exactly what happened to cause the shutdown but I am certain that if they did it would not be mentioned publicly. The complete job shutdown was due to OSHA. One of the subs, (Const.......) I believe stopped paying people pretty quickly after the job began. Unfortunately some of those people were the tower crane operator and the company that was leasing the crane to them. As you can imagine everybody is in a hurry to get things back up and running but being the controlling entity of the tower crane is non transferable. You can't just say that one person is responsible for the crane one day and another the next. Everything from the equipment lease contracts and insurance to the OSHA inspections have to be redone from scratch or at least in an orderly way which I guess could also mean slowly. In an effort to cut corners things were done in such a willfully deceptive, dishonest and negligent way (by certain individuals, not whole companies) that they are lucky to have gotten off with such a small slap on the wrist especially considering some of the recent construction incidents that have made the national news recently.

I was working on this project early on and in my opinion many things that were being requested of the subs were impossible/not very probable and I don't know if any of those issues was ever resolved. They were in a hurry to get started but I am pretty confident that there is no viable way to dismantle that tower crane without using a massive crawler crane that would take up all of 11th street for more than a week in addition to completely blocking E street for many days in a row and removing multiple street & traffic lights. I don't know if any of you have attempted to pull a road closure/traffic control permit to shut down a major downtown artery for multiple weekdays in a row but all I have to say is they will probably end up lowering that tower crane down in 20lb. pieces in a home depot bucket. Those are just a few of the many many issues going on at that site.

That lot also has that massive 20' tunnel running below it that affects what you can do and where.

On a positive note many of those other projects are moving forward albeit slowly. Many are still in the process of accepting bids and deciding on subcontractors...

BuildSanDiego
Dec 14, 2019, 12:07 AM
Wasn't a small fault line discovered right around there particularly at the undeveloped lot adjacent to Smart Corner? Perhaps that's causing some issues.

Good day everyone. I was driving downtown today and drove by 11th and E. Looks like a lot of construction work is going down. There were workers putting up scaffolding for the second or third floor. So yes, work is continuing on 11th and E. I also was walking through Horton Plaza today and ran into a contractor, that is doing the demo on Horton Plaza. He had blue prints in his hands and a hard hat on his head. (he showed me the blue prints) I asked him about the demo and he said they are going to start demo on the north side of Horton Plaza, facing Broadway, come this January. He said he lives in Orange County and will have a lot of driving to do. That is exciting news.

Streamliner
Dec 16, 2019, 10:13 PM
Has anyone heard rumors of what JMI wants to develop on the lot they still own behind PetCo where the pedestrian bridge comes down? There was an article about 6 months ago saying they got permission to boost the density on that lot signaling an announcement of a pending project.

Just in:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/growth-development/story/2019-12-16/tailgate-park-is-officially-for-sale-international-buyers-welcome

Tailgate Park is officially for sale, international buyers welcome
December 16, 2019
Jennifer Van Grove

The city of San Diego has formalized its intent to sell or lease to the best and highest bidder four downtown city blocks, just east of Petco Park, where the San Diego Padres currently operate the popular parking lot known as Tailgate Park.

Monday, the city issued what’s called a Request for Qualifications in an effort to solicit interest to redevelop the site — bounded by 12th and Imperial avenues, and K and 14th streets — now home to more than 1,000 stadium-adjacent, surface parking spots. The lot, which the city is referring to as, “East Village Quarter,” consists of 5.25 buildable acres that could be used for as much as 4 million square feet of office, hotel, retail, residential and entertainment space.

“The city seeks to maximize the development potential of the site and the financial return to the city through the sale or ground lease of the site,” according to the document, which was published on a procurement website run by the city’s consultant.

A city-owned asset since the formation of the ballpark district, Tailgate Park is governed by a complex set of state regulations. The lot was originally acquired by San Diego’s now-defunct redevelopment agency and was transferred to the city for the sole purpose of future development when redevelopment agencies were dissolved in 2012. As such, it has been on a State Department of Finance-approved list of properties to be divested; it must be sold or leased at a sum exceeding its 2011 appraised value, which has not been disclosed.

“I think it’s the right time to put this property on the market,” said Erik Caldwell, who is deputy chief operating officer for the city’s Smart and Sustainable Communities department. Caldwell characterized the site as a prime real-estate opportunity for a potential foreign investor given his frequent conversations with visiting delegations.

However, the team could face stiff competition from a diverse pool of applicants given the site’s proximity to the water, public transportation, Petco Park and an in-transition East Village neighborhood that’s expected to balloon from a population of nearly 18,000 people to one with 46,000 residents. At one point, the lot was eyed by the former San Diego Chargers, which had hoped to build a downtown football stadium. It was also rumored in late 2017 that Blue Pool Capital, the asset management company owned by billionaire Joe Tsai, had looked at building an arena large enough for the NBA or NHL on the property.

More recently, 127 qualified, potential bidders — a number of them foreign — showed interest in the property and registered with JLL to receive materials about the opportunity, said Christina Bibler, who is the city’s economic development director.

The city’s Request for Qualifications process culminates in March and will be used to vet interested buyers or lessees. The top prospects will be invited to submit more formal proposals, with City Council expected to sign off on a winning bidder in October. The disposition of the former redevelopment asset is being overseen by Civic San Diego, downtown’s one-time planning agency now acting only as a consultant to the city.

SDCAL
Dec 17, 2019, 8:16 AM
Good day everyone. I was driving downtown today and drove by 11th and E. Looks like a lot of construction work is going down. There were workers putting up scaffolding for the second or third floor. So yes, work is continuing on 11th and E. I also was walking through Horton Plaza today and ran into a contractor, that is doing the demo on Horton Plaza. He had blue prints in his hands and a hard hat on his head. (he showed me the blue prints) I asked him about the demo and he said they are going to start demo on the north side of Horton Plaza, facing Broadway, come this January. He said he lives in Orange County and will have a lot of driving to do. That is exciting news.

Did he mention anything about the Macy’s lawsuit? I thought the project can’t move forward until that’s resolved.

HurricaneHugo
Dec 17, 2019, 1:02 PM
TJ getting a nice building in it';s downtown

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/real-estate/story/2019-12-16/construction-starts-on-tijuana-box-like-building

mello
Dec 17, 2019, 7:20 PM
So crookedrecords says 11th and E is stalled and Buildsandiego says he saw active construction going on... Which one is it. Lets get this tailgate park sucker going asap that is going to be "huge" *trump voice :cheers:

Construction Note: Demo almost done at Park Blvd and EC Blvd. Huge project going in there I asked a guy who has run a liquor/deli down the street for years and he said it is 370 units going in... Wow. Surprised we have never heard of this one. Serious infill in University Heights.

BuildSanDiego
Dec 19, 2019, 8:26 PM
So crookedrecords says 11th and E is stalled and Buildsandiego says he saw active construction going on... Which one is it. Lets get this tailgate park sucker going asap that is going to be "huge" *trump voice :cheers:

Construction Note: Demo almost done at Park Blvd and EC Blvd. Huge project going in there I asked a guy who has run a liquor/deli down the street for years and he said it is 370 units going in... Wow. Surprised we have never heard of this one. Serious infill in University Heights.

Yes, 11th and E is back on track. Those construction workers were not there for anything other than continuing to build. I will drive by there again and take some pictures.
Also, Horton Plaza update. I did not ask the (demo) contractor about the litigation between Macy's and Stockdale. He told me they would start demo sometime in January. That's all I know.

Andy-4-SD
Dec 23, 2019, 8:22 AM
I was downtown Saturday night and was shocked by the sheer number of homeless people. Driving around downtown maybe a year or two ago and was under the impression that the situation wasn't nearly as bad. However, walking around Saturday there were homeless on basically every block, even in the heart of the gaslamp on 5th avenue and 6th avenue. Felt very weird seeing drunk people almost stepping on homeless people curled up alongside buildings. Felt less safe walking by some homeless who acted more aggressive or irrational. Hate to see so many people living like that, along with health and safety concerns.

Anyone else see this problem escalating as well? What is the city doing about this, what do you guys think they should be doing? Looks like skid row in our backyard, can't believe it's any good for nightlife and tourism.

liat91
Dec 23, 2019, 8:29 AM
I was downtown Saturday night and was shocked by the sheer number of homeless people. Driving around downtown maybe a year or two ago and was under the impression that the situation wasn't nearly as bad. However, walking around Saturday there were homeless on basically every block, even in the heart of the gaslamp on 5th avenue and 6th avenue. Felt very weird seeing drunk people almost stepping on homeless people curled up alongside buildings. Also, felt less safe walking by some homeless who acted more aggressive or irrational. Hate to see so many people living like that, along with health and safety concerns.

Anyone else see this problem escalating as well? What is the city doing about this, what do you guys think they should be doing? Looks like skid row in our backyard, can't believe it's any good for nightlife and tourism.

It’s like putting oil in the drinking water to combat climate change imo. If you’ve ever seen the movie Idiocracy, there’s a part where a character has a toilet built into the living room recliner chair. Lol. The places homeless people are aggregating is not a healthy phenomenon and the courts need to realize their decisions just might push us into a third world civil utopia.

JerellO
Dec 24, 2019, 3:43 AM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/growth-development/story/2019-12-23/mts-ready-to-expand-transit-center-erect-a-high-rise-near-petco-park%3f_amp=true

Another development coming in the future. Since this lot is like... super south of downtown and it seems they wanna build to the maximum height possible.... do you think they can try and build over 500ft?? Even if it was 600ft it’s like super out of the flight path.

Will O' Wisp
Dec 24, 2019, 9:01 AM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/growth-development/story/2019-12-23/mts-ready-to-expand-transit-center-erect-a-high-rise-near-petco-park%3f_amp=true

Another development coming in the future. Since this lot is like... super south of downtown and it seems they wanna build to the maximum height possible.... do you think they can try and build over 500ft?? Even if it was 600ft it’s like super out of the flight path.

Sadly no. CA state law says nothing can be taller than 500' if it penetrates an FAA Part 77 surface. Map of Part 77 surfaces around KSAN:

https://i.imgur.com/euYKSvz.jpg

As you can see, the Part 77 conical surface lies about 200' MSL at that location. This means anything taller than 200' breeches the surface, and is thus limited to 500'. The nearest place to downtown a 500' structure could be built is south of the Coronado bridge.

Also, tons of people have been annoying me lately on when the new Terminal 1 will start construction so here you go:

https://i.imgur.com/rhzX5Qp.jpg

SDCAL
Dec 25, 2019, 4:22 AM
It’s like putting oil in the drinking water to combat climate change imo. If you’ve ever seen the movie Idiocracy, there’s a part where a character has a toilet built into the living room recliner chair. Lol. The places homeless people are aggregating is not a healthy phenomenon and the courts need to realize their decisions just might push us into a third world civil utopia.

What do you propose? What court decision(s) are you talking about? I think the situation is far more complex than putting a toilet in the living room. I agree it’s not good for tourism, but what does the city do about this? These are people, they aren’t just like trash that can picked up on the street. They need to go somewhere and there needs to be programs in place to help people with substance problems and other issues. As bad as it is here, it’s way worse in other CA cities. I had friends visiting from SF and they said SD is clean and has few homeless people compared to the pollution, large numbers, and aggressiveness by some homeless in the Bay Area. This is a very complex problem and it’s not one that’s easy to solve.

spoonman
Dec 26, 2019, 6:07 AM
It’s well documented that SD consistently ranks in the top cities for homelessness. Comparing it to SF thought is a bit ridiculous though when it’s well publicized just how vile parts of SF have become with poop maps and the like. SD has a serious problem and comparing it to SF’s total s-show just minimizes the problem.

SDCAL
Dec 26, 2019, 3:50 PM
It’s well documented that SD consistently ranks in the top cities for homelessness. Comparing it to SF thought is a bit ridiculous though when it’s well publicized just how vile parts of SF have become with poop maps and the like. SD has a serious problem and comparing it to SF’s total s-show just minimizes the problem.

Another person complaining without a solution.

I’ll ask you what I asked the other person, what’s your solution?

Boatguy619
Dec 26, 2019, 9:04 PM
I was in SF for thankgiving. Drove all around the city, walked around the embarcadero and warf. Didn't see any homeless the two days I was there. Heard the Castro district is where they all are, I did not visit that part of the city. However anywhere in SD you go there are panhandlers on the corners, I almost hit homless daily that run in front of traffic along rosecrans. I've had homeless spit on my car for no reason. I've seen them s**** in the streets along our embarcadero, try and fight lamp posts. I work as a diver and have to stay out of the bay when it rains due to piss and s*** in our streets. Its unacceptable. SD HAS become the worst in the state/ nation.

You can have sympathy for these people but it's time to take politically incorrect action. Sleeping in the streets is illegal, make arrests, drug test in custody. If they're not from here, bus them back to whatever city bussed them here. If they're clean, vets, trying to find work, they deserve top priority for shelters and jobs to get them back on their feet. If they're on heroin, meth, ect, send them to a camp in Borrego, Campo, somewhere else cheap. Only allowed to leave when they've become a functioning, clean, member of the camp. It shouldnt be a place people want to end up but it should be a place people get drug addiction help and learn a valuable work ethic. #boatguy2020

tdavis
Dec 27, 2019, 5:36 PM
I was in SF for thankgiving. Drove all around the city, walked around the embarcadero and warf. Didn't see any homeless the two days I was there. Heard the Castro district is where they all are, I did not visit that part of the city. However anywhere in SD you go there are panhandlers on the corners, I almost hit homless daily that run in front of traffic along rosecrans. I've had homeless spit on my car for no reason. I've seen them s**** in the streets along our embarcadero, try and fight lamp posts. I work as a diver and have to stay out of the bay when it rains due to piss and s*** in our streets. Its unacceptable. SD HAS become the worst in the state/ nation.

You can have sympathy for these people but it's time to take politically incorrect action. Sleeping in the streets is illegal, make arrests, drug test in custody. If they're not from here, bus them back to whatever city bussed them here. If they're clean, vets, trying to find work, they deserve top priority for shelters and jobs to get them back on their feet. If they're on heroin, meth, ect, send them to a camp in Borrego, Campo, somewhere else cheap. Only allowed to leave when they've become a functioning, clean, member of the camp. It shouldnt be a place people want to end up but it should be a place people get drug addiction help and learn a valuable work ethic. #boatguy2020

“These people”? Disgusting post. I pray that you never find yourself in the unfortunate situation of being without a roof over your head.

Boatguy619
Dec 27, 2019, 6:07 PM
I've seen it first hand with close family members. The only way my cousin cleaned up and got off the streets was from prison, unfortunately prison turned him into a gang member. Homeless shelters like fathers Joe's villages only help you if you're clean. Most people on the streets are not clean and have no desire to become clean. The solution to the problem isnt going to be pretty. Several city's have done exactly what I have suggested. It's time we do the same before we lose our tourism money and jobs.

SDCAL
Dec 27, 2019, 6:35 PM
I've seen it first hand with close family members. The only way my cousin cleaned up and got off the streets was from prison, unfortunately prison turned him into a gang member. Homeless shelters like fathers Joe's villages only help you if you're clean. Most people on the streets are not clean and have no desire to become clean. The solution to the problem isnt going to be pretty. Several city's have done exactly what I have suggested. It's time we do the same before we lose our tourism money and jobs.

What cities have done what you propose? I’d be interested in learning more. I agree the problem is out of hand in San Diego, however my experience is that if people don’t want to get clean they won’t, no matter how many services you offer or even if you force it. Also, it’s expensive. We have thousands of people who sleep on the street. Rounding them up and sending them to jail or treatment facilities costs $$ that would likely require higher taxes that I’m not sure the public would be willing to pay for. As someone who lives downtown I want a solution that works but that also treats people with respect and compassion. Maybe that’s unrealistic, but I am interested in seeing what cities who don’t have as large of a problem do. Part of this might be our weather - I think we attract more homeless people because it’s not as cold here.

Boatguy619
Dec 27, 2019, 8:28 PM
San Clemente just did it off Ave Pico, right next to the Rainbow sandal factory. Modesto outdoor emergency shelter, and Sacremento is doing the same. They set up hundreds of tents, security, restrooms, food, water, and fenced in. Tenants aren't allowed to come and go. Only allowed to leave if they are going to work or find jobs. They aren't allowed in if they aren't sober. Which to me is the problem. Like you said, if they don't want to get clean, they won't go to shelters. The reason they don't want to is quit is because they're addicted, no other reason. No one wants to be addicted to Heroin. I do think forcing people to quit cold turkey by cutting them off works. Prison cleans people up, but it also gives them a bad record and introduces them to gangs and violent criminals. Once out its impossible to find jobs and they fall back into drug addiction. That's why camps would work, no violent criminals, no arrest records and a place for people to get over addiction safely with programs to help them once they're sober. Won't be cheap, but much cheaper than any large scale shelters like F.J.V. that aren't working. And definitely cheaper than the ammount of tourism dollars we're about to lose if this problem gets worse.

spoonman
Dec 30, 2019, 10:53 PM

Agree with this 100%. Time for tough love. Institutionalization or jail is the answer depending on the specific issue. Folks can transition from there to rehabilitation programs but this sleeping in the streets needs to end.

HurricaneHugo
Jan 7, 2020, 7:00 AM
What's the big hole on Genesse and La Jolla Village drive?

There's one new building there and I'm guessing the next one is the twin?

staplesla
Jan 7, 2020, 5:59 PM
What's the big hole on Genesse and La Jolla Village drive?

There's one new building there and I'm guessing the next one is the twin?

It’s the second of the fourth planned tower for that corner property.

HurricaneHugo
Jan 9, 2020, 6:08 AM
What's going on with the purple line tax hike proposal?

SANDAG stepping in and building their own high speed on the purple line route?

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/transportation/story/2020-01-05/san-diego-mts-airport-trolley-crossroads-over-8b-purple-line

Will O' Wisp
Jan 9, 2020, 10:10 PM
What's going on with the purple line tax hike proposal?

SANDAG stepping in and building their own high speed on the purple line route?

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/transportation/story/2020-01-05/san-diego-mts-airport-trolley-crossroads-over-8b-purple-line

No, this is why (check the yellow boxes):

https://i.imgur.com/4rEwDmM.jpg

The Purple Line uses almost 1/3 of MTS's proposed transit tax. So it's a question of if it would be better to have the Purple Line, or double our investment in bus frequency and new local routes, add 8 additional BRT routes, and add transit lanes to the SR-56.

brg654
Jan 12, 2020, 5:04 PM
We need to figure out how to build transit lines more quickly and for less money in this country. Barcelona builds new lines more quickly and at lower cost. I won't compare us to China - the labor and legal situations are different.

It will be difficult to sell the public on a tax increase for a train line that opens in 2046. Anybody 60+ will plan on never seeing it open in their lifetimes, and anybody 40+ will plan on never using it to commute. I'd vote for a transit tax increase that's in the best interest of our city of the future and the environment over my own personal interest, but I don't see a 2/3 majority for that.

And, as an aside, is a transit line to the airport really the best use of money? As much as I love trains (my grandfather designed them for Bombardier), I question how much they'll be used in the age of Uber. The trolley won't take me to my house, so why take a trolley then an Uber if I can just take an Uber? Tourists stay close enough that it's not an issue, business travelers aren't very price sensitive anyway, and the people who would really benefit (those living in east and north county) would vote against a tax increase because they're more likely to be Republican and they think freeway expansion should be prioritized over transit. In other cities with good train connections to airports (NYC/JFK, London/LHR, Tokyo/NRT), the airport is a significant distance from the city and taxi costs can be a deterrent.

mello
Jan 13, 2020, 8:11 PM
So here we are 2020 time for some fresh predictions on the slew of towers that have been approved for ages and have yet to break ground. The big boys:

Cisterra Ritz 7th/Market --
Courthouse on Broadway Demo --
1st and Beech --
Alexan Little Italy --
California Theatre Demo C Street --

All of these have been talked about and approved for quite some time.

Little Italy Parking Structure tower on Kettner -- This one kind of came out of nowhere and was recently approved 5 to 6 months ago I believe.

Also I recall two Cortez hill towers around 19 to 22 floors that were approved 4 to 5 years ago and never came to fruition. Anyone remember those? You would think that would be a great area tucked away from the action with great views but nothing ever came of it. Across from the Symphony Towers Marriott they cleared a lot and its fenced off does anyone know about that. 7th and A?

There has to be someone on this forum with some inside info hearing rumors from sources. Please fill us in :cheers:

staplesla
Jan 14, 2020, 5:43 PM
So here we are 2020 time for some fresh predictions on the slew of towers that have been approved for ages and have yet to break ground. The big boys:

Cisterra Ritz 7th/Market --
Courthouse on Broadway Demo --
1st and Beech --
Alexan Little Italy --

Little Italy Parking Structure tower on Kettner -- This one kind of came out of nowhere and was recently approved 5 to 6 months ago I believe.

Also I recall two Cortez hill towers around 19 to 22 floors that were approved 4 to 5 years ago and never came to fruition. Anyone remember those? You would think that would be a great area tucked away from the action with great views but nothing ever came of it. Across from the Symphony Towers Marriott they cleared a lot and its fenced off does anyone know about that. 7th and A?

There has to be someone on this forum with some inside info hearing rumors from sources. Please fill us in :cheers:

The developer who purchased the old courthouse location on Broadway plans to break ground in April on their 37-story tower called Courthouse Commons. I have no knowledge as to what’s happening with the other spots.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/courthouse-commons-mixed-use-downtown-san-diego-development-broadway-holland-partner-group-office-commercial-apartments/1965453/

Northparkwizard
Jan 15, 2020, 2:01 AM
9G PLANNED DEVELOPMENT
PERMIT PACKAGE.
(https://dcpcsd.files.wordpress.com/2020/01/9g-dcpc-resubmittal-01-10-2020.pdf)

https://i.imgur.com/8jYexR6.png

HurricaneHugo
Jan 16, 2020, 11:50 AM
NAVWAR Redelopment hitting project milestones:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/growth-development/story/2020-01-15/navwar-redevelopment-update-navy-sandag-hitting-project-milestones

Still a lot of work to do but it looks good so far which is rare these days

CrookedRecords
Jan 17, 2020, 12:52 AM
Mello, See below...

Cisterra Ritz 7th/Market -- (Haven't heard a peep about this in quite a while. I've got a set of drawings and was working with one of the original general contractors who were bidding on it but they did not end up getting the contract.)
Courthouse on Broadway Demo -- (This has been going forward for quite some time. The majority of the work is on the interior so it probably doesn't look like much has been done. They are going to begin demolishing the building itself from the roof down in the middle of February.)
1st and Beech --
Alexan Little Italy --

Little Italy Parking Structure tower on Kettner -- (If this is Cedar and Kettner then it is currently being worked on. I believe that the contract has been awarded to the general but the subs haven't been worked out yet. They don't even have decent drawings yet.)

HurricaneHugo
Jan 17, 2020, 7:05 AM
Horton Plaza Redevelopment back on track after lawsuit settled:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/growth-development/story/2020-01-16/horton-plaza-redo-back-on-track-with-macys-the-mall-vacating-in-march

Streamliner
Jan 20, 2020, 6:14 PM
The U-T has a pretty good rundown of regional projects big and small set to open this year:

San Diego’s newest apartments opening in 2020
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/growth-development/story/2020-01-15/navwar-redevelopment-update-navy-sandag-hitting-project-milestones

There are roughly 3,500 new apartments opening in San Diego County in 2020, with many outside of downtown.

Target dates for when complexes will open are often in flux because of weather, labor issues and other external factors. Information on new developments was compiled by The San Diego Union-Tribune with additional information coming from developers and real estate tracker CoStar. The majority of projects have not announced final rent prices.

There still are not enough units going up, but there are some nice infill projects in there.

mello
Jan 20, 2020, 8:41 PM
It was 8 last year and I paid now that they doubled it I have passed so far, you really think its worth it? Glad to see infill picking up downtown construction activity seems to be dead though. The Pinnacle project has not moved really hope it gets back on track soon.

PadreHomer
Jan 20, 2020, 9:06 PM
Pinnacle on 10th & E has been picking up steam, I drive by there every day. They're moving past the ground floor.

Streamliner
Jan 20, 2020, 9:18 PM
It was 8 last year and I paid now that they doubled it I have passed so far, you really think its worth it? Glad to see infill picking up downtown construction activity seems to be dead though. The Pinnacle project has not moved really hope it gets back on track soon.

I use Chrome as my default browser, and Firefox as my secondary browser. I set my Firefox settings so it clears history/cache/cookies, etc. every time I close out. Then, whenever I ever see a U-T headline I like, I copy/paste the URL into Firefox and it doesn't limit me. It's a good workaround.

Will O' Wisp
Jan 20, 2020, 9:20 PM
Developer of ‘poor door’ apartment building in East Village threatens legal action over denial
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/real-estate/story/2020-01-16/developer-of-poor-door-apartment-building-in-east-village-threatens-legal-action-over-denial

Never see the paywall again

On chrome:
>top right, click the three dots
>click Settings
>click Advanced
>go to Privacy and Security
>click Site Settings
>click Add
>Enter https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/
>click Add

On firefox:
>top right, click the three bars
>click Privacy Protections
>click Manage Settings
>go to Cookies and Site Data
>click Manage Permissions
>enter https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/
>click Block
>click Save Changes

spoonman
Jan 21, 2020, 1:17 AM
Developer of ‘poor door’ apartment building in East Village threatens legal action over denial
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/real-estate/story/2020-01-16/developer-of-poor-door-apartment-building-in-east-village-threatens-legal-action-over-denial

Never see the paywall again

On chrome:
>top right, click the three dots
>click Settings
>click Advanced
>go to Privacy and Security
>click Site Settings
>click Add
>Enter https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/
>click Add

On firefox:
>top right, click the three bars
>click Privacy Protections
>click Manage Settings
>go to Cookies and Site Data
>click Manage Permissions
>enter https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/
>click Block
>click Save Changes

Good for the developer. They shouldn't be extorted.

HurricaneHugo
Jan 21, 2020, 5:08 AM
MTS is increasing the frequency of the Blue Line

Every 7.5 mins during weekdays (4:30am-7pm)

and every 15 mins in the weekend

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/transportation/story/2020-01-20/mts-to-beef-up-blue-line-trolley-service-starting-sunday

Hopefully a lot more people start using it because of this

PadreHomer
Jan 22, 2020, 6:52 PM
Pinnacle on 10th & E has been picking up steam, I drive by there every day. They're moving past the ground floor.

I meant 11th & E. Will take a picture when I can

mello
Jan 24, 2020, 9:52 PM
Padre Homer: Yes we all know it has been above the ground floor for a while but it has been sitting at about the 3rd maybe 4th floor for months now. Normal construction adds a floor about every 8 to 10 days or so. This thing should be at 16 to 18 by now. Are you seeing the crane moving around and this thing actually rising?

negentropic behavior
Jan 27, 2020, 2:52 AM
Took some pictures of some new kids on the grid.

E St/Park (or 11th/Broadway) is active, they're laying the steel prepping the 5th floor concrete pour soon. I pass this on my way to work and I think it was dormant for the end of summer/fall but seems to have picked up again in winter.

Bosa Development on 8th and Broadway, on the other hand, is aggressively rising. That thing is massive up close. Not too fond of the drab color choices on the lower levels though--I'd have gone with flashier colored panels. Maybe metallic copper/brass/silver would have given this a more luxurious look.

New crane in the Gaslamp is the AC Hotel.

Streetlights, or Citylights--that Makers Quarter development on 16th looks like it is about to start demo'ing the existing buildings expect for the nearly complete corner apartment building.

Now if only the East Village Green get started--waiting for that park to start construction is torturous!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28230902@N08/shares/yfR4s4

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28230902@N08/shares/yfR4s4 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/28230902@N08/shares/yfR4s4)

mello
Jan 28, 2020, 10:43 PM
Good to see Streetlights at makers quarter finally kick off that combined with Pinnacle at 11th/E and the UCSD extension tower at 12th/Market will really improve the skyline coming west down 94 in to downtown!!:cheers:

Streamliner
Feb 3, 2020, 4:48 PM
A pic found on reddit showing progress of the San Diego Symphony's new bandshell:
https://i.redd.it/wumhspguzhe41.jpg

Credit:u/minimalistlifestyle
(https://www.reddit.com/r/sandiego/comments/exnaoe/the_embarcadero_symphonystage_progress/)

HurricaneHugo
Feb 6, 2020, 7:55 AM
Plan to turn parking lot in front of Aerospace Museum into a pedestrian mall:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/growth-development/story/2020-02-05/balboa-park-palisades

Good.

Though we need a parking garage somewhere. I say the first lot on President's Way

mello
Feb 6, 2020, 7:41 PM
Will O Wisp: Figured you would know what it is... Looks kinds chunky.

Any idea when we might be seeing cranes up at the Manchester Broadway Site :shrug:

Will O' Wisp
Feb 8, 2020, 6:37 AM
Will O Wisp: Figured you would know what it is... Looks kinds chunky.

New facility for belly cargo. There's almost always some space left over in an airliner's cargo hold after you stuff the passenger's bags in, airlines have taken to selling that space as cheap air cargo.

It's just one of the facilities being relocated to make room for the new terminal.

HurricaneHugo
Feb 11, 2020, 2:32 AM
What's going up on 7th and Robinson?

Saw them digging a giant hole

aekrid
Feb 11, 2020, 5:01 AM
Took these earlier. Crane up on Hanover's Third and A!
https://i.imgur.com/PRBOonw.jpg

Bosa block rising nicely.
https://i.imgur.com/wBAkpiL.jpg

staplesla
Feb 13, 2020, 4:21 AM
“....construction on the proposed Seaport San Diego project isn’t anticipated to begin for at least five to seven years.”

Seaport Village Still a Work in Progress https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/seaport-village-still-a-work-in-progress/2262351/ (https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/seaport-village-still-a-work-in-progress/2262351/)

BuildSanDiego
Feb 14, 2020, 4:38 AM
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/real-estate/story/2020-02-13/california-theatre-building-sold-for-21-1-million ........... Looks like the California Theatre building will start demo at the end of this year.

BuildSanDiego
Feb 14, 2020, 4:41 AM
[QUOTE=BuildSanDiego;8830870]https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/real-estate/story/2020-02-13/california-theatre-building-sold-for-21-1-million ........... Looks like the California Theatre building will start demo at the end of this year.

joemamma
Feb 17, 2020, 1:10 AM
Sorry off topic question, but I'd figured some of you might have an answer:

Is there an easy website the public can use to see what current SD buildings are under current litigation?

HurricaneHugo
Feb 18, 2020, 11:17 AM
I'm assuming some of you will be on MTS's webinars?

https://elevatesd2020.com/get-involved/

mello
Feb 18, 2020, 8:05 PM
[QUOTE=BuildSanDiego;8830870]https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/real-estate/story/2020-02-13/california-theatre-building-sold-for-21-1-million ........... Looks like the California Theatre building will start demo at the end of this year.

Can someone who has access to this article give us the high points? So Caydon is a company that bought the project from the original owner who I suspected was looking to "flip" this thing after getting approval anyway. Is that what happened? Thanks

Hope to get some good news on 7th and Market soon... Man is that project dragging out. Also 1st and Beech/Alexan Little Italy lets go guys :yes::shrug:

Niftybox
Feb 19, 2020, 4:53 AM
Hello, quick question. I'm curious, why is San Diego's tallest building only 500'? So many high-rises but no skyscrapers? Kind of underwhelming.

HurricaneHugo
Feb 19, 2020, 5:05 AM
Hello, quick question. I'm curious, why is San Diego's tallest building only 500'? So many high-rises but no skyscrapers? Kind of underwhelming.

That's the height limit due to the proximity of the airport to downtown.

Somebody posted this map earlier in the thread.

https://i.imgur.com/euYKSvz.jpg

HurricaneHugo
Feb 19, 2020, 5:09 AM
[QUOTE=BuildSanDiego;8830873]

Can someone who has access to this article give us the high points? So Caydon is a company that bought the project from the original owner who I suspected was looking to "flip" this thing after getting approval anyway. Is that what happened? Thanks

Hope to get some good news on 7th and Market soon... Man is that project dragging out. Also 1st and Beech/Alexan Little Italy lets go guys :yes::shrug:

Caydon bought it from Sloan Capital Partners and Presidio Bay Ventures.

Plans are to to demolishing the theater and rebuilding it with as much original ornamentation. (Building is too far gone to save).

474 ft condo tower.

Demolishing in late 2020, construction early 2021.

252 parking spots, 45 subsidized housing units.

PS: I used the tip earlier in the thread to be able to read the articles on Firefox.

HurricaneHugo
Feb 27, 2020, 1:15 AM
What do you guys think of the upcoming Measures and mayoral/supervisor elections as it relates to development?

SDCAL
Mar 1, 2020, 2:09 AM
What do you guys think of the upcoming Measures and mayoral/supervisor elections as it relates to development?

I voted yes on C. I think it’s critical measure C gets approved to FINALLY expand the damn convention center. Money will also go to homeless. This is a hotel tax and I don’t really see a downside to this measure.

lakeviewer
Mar 2, 2020, 6:46 AM
Hey all, new posting in the SD forum.

I have heard that Manchester does not have funding to proceed with the ambitious grand plan. The word is that during excavation, they came across some underground cabling that would be quite costly to relocate. The rumor is that nothing(except current Navy building) will be completed as planned, if completed at all.

I emailed SDUT to inquire about 7th & Market a few weeks ago, editor Lori Weisberg said she anticipated an announcement in the coming weeks.

NYC2ATX
Mar 2, 2020, 6:59 AM
That would be a disappointment, but it doesn't really seem like Manchester has a great record of getting projects completed, does it? I'm most familiar with their efforts at the Fairmont Austin, and that project was significantly shrunk and value-engineered before even breaking ground. The completed project is nice enough, but pales in comparison to the original plans, which would have evoked much higher praise than that.

I'm mostly frustrated because this has the potential to fill a significant hole in the waterfront while also giving San Diego a much more inviting and iconic face out to the harbor. SD is already much more limited than some places to develop a distinctive physical form because of the height cap (not to even speak of the ridiculous airport situation), and I would rather plans of great potential and consequence be in the hands of more capable developers if this is going to drag for another 10 years.

SDCAL
Mar 2, 2020, 5:59 PM

I have heard that Manchester does not have funding to proceed with the ambitious grand plan. The word is that during excavation, they came across some underground cabling that would be quite costly to relocate. The rumor is that nothing(except current Navy building) will be completed as planned, if completed at all.

I emailed SDUT to inquire about 7th & Market a few weeks ago, editor Lori Weisberg said she anticipated an announcement in the coming weeks.

I knew there was a problem with the Manchester project. Earlier on this board someone said they called to get information and a person who works at Manchester was rude and hung up on them.

I also posted that something seems off with the way they decided not to proceed with anything until after the Navy building when they had all along said the project would be comprehensive and have aggressive timelines.

This is really a huge setback for downtown. It took what I think was almost a decade to get that project going, does that mean it will sit like it is for another decade?

Also, wouldn’t they have found this problem BEFORE they proceeded with the Navy Building? Now that the Navy building is built, it makes it more difficult for another developer to do a comprehensive re-do of that site because they will have to work that building into the scheme. That building was designed to fit-in with the rest of the project.

I can’t under-emphasize what a cluster F this is.

I hope Manchester gets sued over this. He never should have built that one building if they thought there was a possibility they couldn’t complete the project.

tdavis
Mar 2, 2020, 6:14 PM

I heard the same from a commercial broker with Hughes Marino last week. He told me that the entire plans are being shelved by Manchester and Manchester is looking to unload the property to a new developer. 😡

mello
Mar 2, 2020, 8:31 PM
We were told he had the financing... What the hell happened. This is a huge scar on his and family's legacy.

As far as voting: Yes on C , Yes on B , no on A.

We need all the housing we can get so a couple of sprawl developments here and there won't kill us. In the grand scheme of things 10 to 12k sprawl units built in the unincorporated areas over the next 10 to 15 years is a drop in the bucket. We should be building fifteen thousand units per year in this County.

spoonman
Mar 3, 2020, 5:09 AM
Seems like Manchester’s development was a huge vanity project (and financial of course). Something must be really wrong (and costly) for him to walk on this unless he feels like he has unlocked enough value through the painstaking entitlement process and development of the Navy building to walk away with a decent sale price. Anyone have a guess as to what the improvements are worth from a profit standpoint?

Will O' Wisp
Mar 3, 2020, 7:06 AM
I'd just keep in mind, this is a rumor. No first or secondhand source has confirmed there are issues with financing, no newspaper has even run an "according to anonymous sources" article.

Fun fact: Manchester's lease with the Navy is available online (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=2ahUKEwi8hb3q0_3nAhXaITQIHRguB4UQFjADegQIAxAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.blogofsandiego.com%2FIssues%2FNavyBroadway%2F20061122-Navy-Lease.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1Wc-tGAvC0vaUcQYjkpWBv) (Warning: large file). Per the lease Manchester was required to deliver the new Navy HQ on June 27th, 2009 (pg 7). The Navy is allowed to collect damages for every day that they don't have ownership of that facility after that date (pg 9 - exact amount per day is redacted), unless the delay was caused by something outside of Manchester's control (pg 13). And that is only allowed on a day for day basis, so Manchester faces massive fines unless it's able to provide legal proof that every last day of delay from 2009-2020 was outside its control.

I'm no lawyer, but from my reading if Manchester starts construction on anything else before the Navy HQ is done it may have to prove, possibly in a court of law, that it didn't delay the Navy HQ's completion date by a single day. If that is the case, I'd be a little cautious about starting on the rest of the project too...

SDfan
Mar 4, 2020, 2:27 AM
I voted yes on A and no on B. If y'all want density and high-rises in cities, you're not going to get it by permitting and building sprawl

Will O' Wisp
Mar 4, 2020, 4:59 PM
Update on election results:

Measure A fails by just 1%. No ballot box planning for now.

Measure B fails by a significant margin. Newland Sierra is dead.

Measure C gains a significant majority, but fails to reach the required 2/3rds for a tax measure. The city may decide to litigate this result. The CA supreme court indicated in 2017 that citizen proposed tax increases like Measure C may only require a simple majority to pass.

plutonicpanda
Mar 5, 2020, 1:28 AM
Update on election results:

Measure A fails by just 1%. No ballot box planning for now.

Measure B fails by a significant margin. Newland Sierra is dead.

Measure C gains a significant majority, but fails to reach the required 2/3rds for a tax measure. The city may decide to litigate this result. The CA supreme court indicated in 2017 that citizen proposed tax increases like Measure C may only require a simple majority to pass.

That is absolutely ridiculous but not surprising. Thousands and thousands of new homes and people are concerned about the environment? Yeah right... this was defeated by NIMBYs so in this case they seem to be friends with the urbanists who cry fowl due to lack of units but only when it is the type of units they want.

The developer wouldn't be proposing that if the demand wasn't there. Just another example of California stopping the free market and a symptom of the real cause to why people are fleeing this state.

SDCAL
Mar 5, 2020, 3:50 AM
Re: Measure C

What was the original intent of this 2/3 majority?

It seems ridiculous voters can overwhelmingly at 63.5% support a hotel tax for our city and that’s not good enough. This means a minority of dimwits like Donna Frye get their way even though they are a fringe minority. She was upset at this measure because she said the homeless part was an “afterthought.” Maybe so, but Donna you just flushed a $2 billion revenue source down the toilet for the homeless you moron.

Sorry to be rough, but this really pisses me off.

It shouldn’t be this hard for a city to expand their convention center. You’d think we were asking to secede from the country or something.

Will O' Wisp
Mar 5, 2020, 5:11 AM
Re: Measure C

It seems ridiculous voters can overwhelmingly at 63.5% support a hotel tax for our city and that’s not good enough. This means a minority of dimwits like Donna Frye get their way even though they are a fringe minority. She was upset at this measure because she said the homeless part was an “afterthought.” Maybe so, but Donna you just flushed a $2 billion revenue source down the toilet for the homeless you moron.

It shouldn’t be this hard for a city to expand their convention center. You’d think we were asking to secede from the country or something.

Blame Prop 13.

In addition to its more well known sections freezing property taxes, Prop 13 also requires all tax increases dedicated to a single purpose be approved by a 2/3rds majority. It's suppose to protect taxpayers from... ourselves I guess?

Steadfast
Mar 5, 2020, 6:38 AM
The developer wouldn't be proposing that if the demand wasn't there. Just another example of California stopping the free market and a symptom of the real cause to why people are fleeing this state.

The outcome isn't about demand... It's about curbing sprawl on the fringes of the city, and funneling growth to areas with the infustructure to support it.

mello
Mar 5, 2020, 7:55 PM
Dont you think most of the people buying in that area would probably work in Poway, Rancho Bernardo, Carlsbad, or the cities that border it San Marcos, Vista etc??

My point is this metro has serious traffic now and serious job sprawl. So the people with money who would be buying in a brand new development on the North end of San Marcos wont do so if their job is in Kearny Mesa, DT, MV, UTC, Sorrento Mesa.

So seeing that there is job growth on the North end of SD metro shouldnt we advocate for a mix of infill and some new single family home growth in that area? Or you guys just say no more single family home developments that is a dead model. If you want it move to Temecula/Murrieta/Wildomar and suffer the long ass commute but here in SD county no more SFH development....

Northparkwizard
Mar 6, 2020, 3:27 AM
Here’s what the Padres want to do with Tailgate Park
(https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/growth-development/story/2020-03-05/heres-what-the-padres-want-to-do-with-tailgate-park)
Team partners with real-estate heavy hitters in effort to turn parking lot into a tech office campus with housing and retail

By JENNIFER VAN GROVE
MARCH 5, 20202:56 PM

The San Diego Padres’ vision for the popular parking lot known as Tailgate Park is a 2-million-square-foot, mixed-use project anchored by a technology campus.

The latest pitch, as described during a phone interview with Padres President Erik Greupner, is to convert the Petco Park-adjacent property into an innovation-driven commercial office center complemented by on-site housing and retail.

Ample stadium parking and amenity-rich public plazas are also key project components designed to turn the existing surface lot into an East Village landmark that doubles as a professional calling card for San Diego.

Thursday, the organization said that it has formed a joint venture with local and global real-estate heavy hitters Tishman Speyer, Cisterra Development and Ascendant Capital Partners. The group plans to bid on, buy and remodel the 5.25-acre, city site. Carrier Johnson + Culture, the renowned San Diego-based architectural firm responsible for much of East Village’s design, has also signed on to the project.

“We have assembled an exceptionally qualified team of experts to transform the Tailgate Lot into an iconic destination filled with high-paying jobs, workforce housing, retail experiences and open space,” Greupner said.

The organization’s ambitious endeavor, however, is not a given. It is subject to an ongoing city-run process that could see the land transferred to someone else for a completely different purpose.

In December, the city of San Diego formalized its intent to sell or lease the four stadium-adjacent blocks — bounded by 12th and Imperial avenues, and K and 14th streets — that it has owned since the formation of the ballpark district. Interested developers were given until earlier this week to respond to what’s known as a request for qualifications.

The city, which has marketed the asset as “East Village Quarter” to international buyers, has said that it wants to maximize its financial return on the land. It’s entertaining bids that incorporate office, hotel, retail, residential and entertainment space.

“The city is currently reviewing the submittals,” said Christina Chadwick, a city spokeswoman. “Once a short list of qualified development teams is established, the city will disclose the number of responses and the short-listed teams.”

Although still conceptual, the Padres and team partners view their live-work-play vision as the best way to round out East Village, a neighborhood that already owes much of its newfound character and many of its high-rises to the baseball club’s presence.

The proposed project, which would be completed in phases and likely exceed $1 billion in total cost, would theoretically further serve as a catalyst for the region, particularly in the office arena. If successful, it will attract high caliber, out of town tech and biotech firms that have yet to plant roots in San Diego, Greupner said.

That would be, in no small part, because of the team’s joint-venture partners.

For instance, Tishman Speyer is in a similar relationship with the San Francisco Giants. The firm is the co-master developer of the Mission Rock neighborhood near the team’s Oracle Park stadium. The 28-acre waterfront project has many of the same components envisioned for Tailgate Park, including office, housing, retail and park space.

Elsewhere, Tishman Speyer’s rolodex includes Pfizer, the anchor tenant of its Spiral skyscraper in New York, digital marketing firm Dentsu Aegis Network and LinkedIn.

The Padres may also have a leg up on the competition because of its existing ties to Tailgate Park. The organization holds a long-term lease with the city that runs through 2042 when including options. Lease provisions allow for modification of the property so long as the Padres are compensated for lost revenue and the parking spaces are replaced.

The Padres recently formed a development entity called Padres Next Fifty to serve as the real estate investment subsidiary of the San Diego Padres and its affiliates. Padres Next Fifty is the lead developer in the joint venture.

The city’s Request for Qualifications process ended Tuesday. Top prospects will be asked to submit formal proposals, with City Council expected to sign off on a winning bidder in October.

ucsbgaucho
Mar 11, 2020, 3:22 PM
With $330 million in the bank, Horton Plaza owner ready to overhaul empty mall
Horton Plaza Redevelopment

Previously on hiatus, the first phase of the mall-to-office-campus conversion project is now fully funded and on track for completion in early 2022

By JENNIFER VAN GROVE
MARCH 10, 20201:39 PM

Downtown’s retail ghost town is on the cusp of construction activity with Horton Plaza’s owner now financially equipped to convert the property into a mixed-use office campus for elite tech tenants.

Los Angeles-based Stockdale Capital Partners, which purchased the property in 2018, said this week that it has closed a $330 million construction loan, meaning the first phase of the redevelopment project is fully funded on track for completion in early 2022.

The latest capital infusion is comprised of a group of funds managed by investment services firm AllianceBernstein. It puts Stockdale’s phase-one project cost at more than $500 million when including the $175 million the developer spent to buy the site from Westfield.

“Three hundred thirty million dollars is a lot of money,” said Dan Michaels, who is managing director of the real estate investment firm. "(The loan) shows the extreme amount of confidence that best-in-class lenders like Alliance have in the downtown San Diego market.”

Known as the Campus at Horton, the high-profile conversion project calls for a bulk of the 10-block property, or 772,000 square feet, to be remade into office space for tech firms and as many as 4,000 of their workers. Another 300,000 square feet will be reserved for ground-floor retail tenants that cater to workers’ needs and appetites. The remade facility will feature an abundance of natural light, solar panels on most rooftops, a blackwater recycling system and a carbon-neutral design.

Although the campus project was approved by San Diego’s City Council in May, it met with legal pushback from long-time mall tenant Macy’s. In October, the retailer filed suit to stop the project, with the threat jeopardizing Stockdale’s ability to secure financing. The firms settled their dispute in January and Macy’s agreed to vacate the mall this month.

With money in the bank, Stockdale will soon erect a perimeter fence and begin exterior construction, while also preserving visitor access to Jimbo’s Naturally and 24 Hour Fitness. The firm anticipates that 600 to 800 construction workers will be on-site, and that the campus’ office and retail spaces will be ready for tenant improvements in around 18 months.

No tenants have been announced, but Michaels said that his discussions with big-name, out-of-town firms have intensified since the loan was secured.

Next up, the real estate investment company will also need to finalize the terms of a lease to operate and redo the city’s adjacent Horton Plaza Park. The contract requires City Council approval.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/growth-development/story/2020-03-10/with-330-million-in-the-bank-horton-plaza-owner-ready-to-overhaul-empty-mall

spoonman
Mar 12, 2020, 4:39 AM
Seems like a lot of money for 700k sf of office.

HurricaneHugo
Mar 18, 2020, 2:23 AM
Y'all stay safe

IconRPCV
Mar 19, 2020, 8:44 PM
This pisses me off too.Re: Measure C

mello
Mar 20, 2020, 6:39 PM
This pisses me off too.

Im sure with this getting close to 65% and the City being desperate for revenue in this coming economic crash, they will challenge it in court like a bunch of other California cities have been doing. You think homelessness is bad now just imagine with 20 to 30% unemployment. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about what is going on with the economy and why you should be getting your ass out of stocks and in to physical gold and silver ASAP :runaway:

Derek
Mar 21, 2020, 12:24 AM
Yikes, Donna Frye is still around? Sorry guys... :(

SDfan
Mar 21, 2020, 1:22 AM
Y'all stay safe

You too, stay safe, ya'll.

Boatguy619
Mar 21, 2020, 6:49 PM
Sorry for the poor quality image, maybe I'll get my nice camera out to take a similar photo as it still looks like this. This photo was taken at the beginning of the month before all the craziness, wasn't sure why one tower at the Grand Hyatt was totally dark. Must have only been operating one tower knowing what was to come?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49683795961_154499c040.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2iGorzK)2020-03-21_11-41-56 (https://flic.kr/p/2iGorzK) by kevinbeatty (https://www.flickr.com/photos/29362128@N08/), on Flickr

Will O' Wisp
Mar 24, 2020, 3:52 AM
Sorry for the poor quality image, maybe I'll get my nice camera out to take a similar photo as it still looks like this. This photo was taken at the beginning of the month before all the craziness, wasn't sure why one tower at the Grand Hyatt was totally dark. Must have only been operating one tower knowing what was to come?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49683795961_154499c040.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2iGorzK)2020-03-21_11-41-56 (https://flic.kr/p/2iGorzK) by kevinbeatty (https://www.flickr.com/photos/29362128@N08/), on Flickr

Tourism from Europe and Asia has been down for months due to the outbreaks there. The Hyatt completely shut down last week.

https://i.redd.it/v84j37eiwho41.png

USNS Mercy deploying to LA earlier today. Check the windows on the Hyatt.

gillynova
Mar 24, 2020, 4:21 AM
^^ Pretty cool sight to see!

mello
Mar 28, 2020, 8:06 PM
Expectations of 7th and Market actually happening now? :shrug:

Too early to tell what repercussions will be? Did the courthouse project actually have the financing secured? If it did that one still might happen.

All other projects I think will be shelved. How is Stockdale feeling right now about Horton Plaza..... uh oh :uhh:

superfishy
Mar 30, 2020, 8:29 PM
Well it was a good boom while it lasted. Guess we'll have to wait another decade for the next one

eburress
Mar 31, 2020, 4:09 AM
How are things in San Diego? Are businesses, hotels, restaurants, etc holding out or are there a lot of closures so far?

tdavis
Apr 1, 2020, 4:18 PM
How are things in San Diego? Are businesses, hotels, restaurants, etc holding out or are there a lot of closures so far?

Only essential businesses are open. Everything else has closed.

mello
Apr 1, 2020, 6:43 PM
Only essential businesses are open. Everything else has closed.

I think he means have they closed for good knowing that this shutdown will probably last until mid June at least. He obviously knows that only essential businesses are open isn't it basically like this everywhere in the country.

tdavis
Apr 2, 2020, 12:08 AM
I think he means have they closed for good knowing that this shutdown will probably last until mid June at least. He obviously knows that only essential businesses are open isn't it basically like this everywhere in the country.

Not necessarily. My family in Oklahoma City and Abilene, Texas say it’s business as normal there. Everyone thinks it’s a hoax or whatnot.

eburress
Apr 2, 2020, 4:26 AM

Thanks for clarifying, mello. You're correct. My question was if businesses in SD were surviving or if some had closed for good. Hotels have been hit hard here in Dallas, and this was the last straw for a number of businesses which were vulnerable...like Punchbowl Social.

I can't speak to what's happening in OK but for what it's worth, our part of TX has been on a shelter in place order for ~three weeks and all non-essential businesses have been closed longer.

HurricaneHugo
Apr 4, 2020, 10:56 AM
Does anybody know the conditions of the local hospitals right now?

Statewide projections show the surge just hitting capacity at the peak, wonder if that will hold true locally.

eburress
Apr 4, 2020, 4:38 PM
Does anybody know the conditions of the local hospitals right now?

Statewide projections show the surge just hitting capacity at the peak, wonder if that will hold true locally.

I have family in Santa Cruz, LA, and Palm Springs who are doctors and nurses and in all three spots, they say they are far under capacity. Surely it's different in some of the hot spot areas but from their perspectives, there seems to be some disconnect between what's being reported and what's actually happening.

HurricaneHugo
Apr 6, 2020, 8:53 AM
I have family in Santa Cruz, LA, and Palm Springs who are doctors and nurses and in all three spots, they say they are far under capacity. Surely it's different in some of the hot spot areas but from their perspectives, there seems to be some disconnect between what's being reported and what's actually happening.

That's great to hear!

I'm assuming that it's' because people are not going for every little thing right now plus things like delaying elective surgery etc:

I found this site that is projecting that the peak will be in 8 days and it will still be well under capacity for beds/ICUs.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

Hopefully it's correct

Streamliner
Apr 6, 2020, 8:42 PM
That's great to hear!

I'm assuming that it's' because people are not going for every little thing right now plus things like delaying elective surgery etc:

I imagine it's also because other typical hospitalizations aren't occurring at the same rates as before (car accidents, workplace injuries, etc.). I've heard that there have been fewer flu hospitalizations as well since social distancing works for all sorts of contagious ailments.

Boatguy619
Apr 7, 2020, 11:17 PM
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49743218152_313a878cb9_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2iMCZJh)2020-04-06_08-55-04 (https://flic.kr/p/2iMCZJh)