PDA

View Full Version : Tempe Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117

combusean
Nov 8, 2019, 12:36 AM
Can you copy/paste this article? its for subscribers only.

It's a bunch of photos of projects that I'm not going to rehost.

For nearly any news page that doesn't require a login to view articles like PBJ, open the link in an incognito window AKA private browsing.

If it detects that you're incognito, generate some cookies and stuff by going to google, search for the news site, click on it, then go to the article through the main site. Might have to use the site search to find the article.

You can also delete cookies from the website to reset your read article count but that's harder to do these days.

azsunsurfer
Nov 10, 2019, 12:57 AM
Wow, I had no idea that IDEA (no pun intended) was now adding a hotel to the restaurant building at the entrance of the parking garage. I love the wavy curved glass. I wonder if they solidified an operator? That building was suppose to be Phase 1B, I wonder when they will break ground?

CB1
Nov 10, 2019, 7:40 AM
Wow, I had no idea that IDEA (no pun intended) was now adding a hotel to the restaurant building at the entrance of the parking garage. I love the wavy curved glass. I wonder if they solidified an operator? That building was suppose to be Phase 1B, I wonder when they will break ground?

I was very surprised to see the design change as well. Much fancier.

CB1
Nov 10, 2019, 7:43 AM
https://i.imgur.com/sY6WxVC.jpg

Here is the building azsunsurfer is referring too.

PHXFlyer11
Nov 10, 2019, 4:23 PM
Did I count right? 15 stories?? That’s impressive in that location!

Mr.RE
Nov 11, 2019, 3:56 PM
Article on IDEA Tempe and other current & future town lake developments.

https://www.orionprop.com/topfive/3-tempe-town-lake-developments-are-going-up-heres-what-might-come-next/

azsunsurfer
Nov 12, 2019, 2:11 PM
I am torn on the new Eastline Village, too bad the heights were reduced but I do appreciate the fact they are trying to make it feel like a "village." Too few renderings in the package but it seems like they will use various types of architecture with retail facing Apache in taller buildings.

muertecaza
Nov 12, 2019, 6:32 PM
I am torn on the new Eastline Village, too bad the heights were reduced but I do appreciate the fact they are trying to make it feel like a "village." Too few renderings in the package but it seems like they will use various types of architecture with retail facing Apache in taller buildings.

Same. I really liked the earlier concept of a couple big buildings with a central courtyard of retail. But I can also appreciate something different than the 4-5 story superblock complexes that have mostly been built along Apache. At this point I am mostly in favor of whatever can be built, as long as it's reasonably dense multifamily and is urban-ish in the way it addresses the sidewalk. Eastline Village folks own so much Apache frontage there that is so ugly, they need to get something built.

azsunsurfer
Nov 12, 2019, 6:42 PM
It's almost disney-esque, I also appreciate the layout is not linear. I assume they did this to a) reduce construction costs (no underground parking) and b) allow for greater phasing (I think there are 5 phases)- the original project was in 2/3 phases including the hotel so again this must have been done to keep costs down and to adapt to changes in the market which is harder to do with super blocks.

muertecaza
Nov 12, 2019, 11:33 PM
Not a lot new in the Tempe construction report for October 2019, but I did see that Trader Joe's is in review for a building permit for TIs at Cornerstone, the NEC of University/Rural, right by the Tempe Improv, Raising Cane's, etc.

https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=78097

Haven't seen this announced anywhere. If it is a Trader Joe's there, it's interesting that they're coming into downtown or at least downtown-adjacent shortly after Whole Foods.

Phxguy
Nov 13, 2019, 3:00 AM
Not a lot new in the Tempe construction report for October 2019, but I did see that Trader Joe's is in review for a building permit for TIs at Cornerstone, the NEC of University/Rural, right by the Tempe Improv, Raising Cane's, etc.

https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=78097

Haven't seen this announced anywhere. If it is a Trader Joe's there, it's interesting that they're coming into downtown or at least downtown-adjacent shortly after Whole Foods.

It would be an interesting dynamic for that area. We already see a Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods in proximity to each other in the Biltmore but the demographics easily sustain both. Would rather see a Trader Joe’s (or Sprouts) in the recently vacated Whole Food’s location at Baseline and Rural.

azsunsurfer
Nov 13, 2019, 2:12 PM
I would have expected Trader Joe's to commit to space at Novus but maybe they didn't want to wait? I could easily see a Trader Joe's on the ground floor of Apollo/ Alor (whatever it's called now), the density on that side of Apache is really picking up.

azsunsurfer
Nov 13, 2019, 2:13 PM
I also noticed that First Solar looks like they have some TI work going on on one of their floors....I remembered that they gave up space a while back so I am wondering who they got to backfill one of their floors if it's not them?

LocoPhoenician
Nov 13, 2019, 4:10 PM
It would be an interesting dynamic for that area. We already see a Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods in proximity to each other in the Biltmore but the demographics easily sustain both. Would rather see a Trader Joe’s (or Sprouts) in the recently vacated Whole Food’s location at Baseline and Rural.

Trader Joe's and Sprouts already have stores in close proximity to the old wholefoods. Aldi is going to move into that spot.

phoenixwillrise
Nov 13, 2019, 4:29 PM
FYI sports fans, for whatever reason, Trader Joe's seems to make it standard procedure to be in proximity of a Whole Foods location. True in Seattle, San Diego, Phoenix among others.

LocoPhoenician
Nov 13, 2019, 8:08 PM
Crane going up at Farmer and University today.

Mr.RE
Nov 13, 2019, 8:53 PM
Crane going up at Farmer and University today.

How tall is this crane going to be?

azsunsurfer
Nov 14, 2019, 6:00 PM
How tall is this crane going to be?

I live right underneath it (puts your safety into perspective when you look up at a crane every morning and think about that one Dallas crane that collapsed in a storm that killed folks in their adjacent apartment building) but it's about under the Local's height...although the building will be a few floors shorter than the local (6 stories I believe overall).

Mr.RE
Nov 14, 2019, 9:28 PM
New renderings for the 6th & College hotel. Looks awesome! Approved at City Council. Anticipated ground breaking mid next year.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49066324061_e3803c15e0_z.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49065803423_0fcc2d012e_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49066323996_c553db96d3_z.jpg

Mr.RE
Nov 18, 2019, 3:30 PM
Found this webcam on ASU website. You can see almost all of Novus in one frame. Pretty sweet view.

http://webcampub.multivista.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=aPublicWebcam.embed&WebcamPublicEmbedUID=784F6BB4-A9E6-44E2-967D-5E8294487673&HLS=1

RichTempe
Nov 19, 2019, 12:45 AM
Found this webcam on ASU website. You can see almost all of Novus in one frame. Pretty sweet view.

http://webcampub.multivista.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=aPublicWebcam.embed&WebcamPublicEmbedUID=784F6BB4-A9E6-44E2-967D-5E8294487673&HLS=1

Great find!! :tup:

exit2lef
Nov 19, 2019, 2:43 PM
The good news is that a new apartment building is being constructed without a big investment in parking. The bad news is the exoticization and hyperbole with which it's being described. This should be a common and unsurprising development along the light rail corridor:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2019/11/19/culdesac-tempe-apartment-complex-wont-offer-residential-parking/4191470002/

Edit: Apparently, it's been picked up by the Wall Street Journal as well. I can't read the whole article because I'm not a subscriber, but here's a link just in case any of you are:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-arizona-development-bans-residents-from-bringing-cars-11574164801

As much as I think this is a positive development, it's ridiculous to characterize this as a first for the nation or a total ban on residents owning cars. There are countless buildings in major cities that don't provide parking for their residents. Many residents rely on transit and taxis, and those who do own cars arrange to store them off-site. This may be a first for Tempe, but it's hardly a big deal on a national level.

azsunsurfer
Nov 19, 2019, 2:54 PM
Nice, that's the New Eastline Village that we talked about. I am curious to see the first phase submitted to the DRC, I just checked this morning and they don't have the link up to their next meeting yet.

Obadno
Nov 19, 2019, 3:31 PM
Wall street journo article about a project I've never heard of in Tempe.

Also, per usual, the article is full of misconceptions about this city, its climate etc etc.; The ignorance of the comments is almost astounding. Did you know its 112 all year hear and that itll be impossible for people in this development to get food and water without dying in the heat?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-arizona-development-bans-residents-from-bringing-cars-11574164801?mod=hp_lead_pos10

A $140 million Arizona development is banning residents from bringing their own cars on site in favor of scooters, bikes and ride-sharing, testing demand for a new type of walkable neighborhood.

The 1,000-person rental community, which broke ground this month in Tempe, won’t allow residents to park cars on-site or in the surrounding area as a term of their lease. The founders say it will be the first of its kind in the U.S.

The scale will be modest, with mostly three-story buildings. In place of parking spaces, the development known as Culdesac Tempe will feature significantly more retail and open spaces than a typical one of its size. It will include a market hall for food vendors, coffee shop, plazas, communal fire pits and a building that residents can rent to host events.

The site is next to a light rail that connects residents to a grocery store, Arizona State University, downtown Phoenix and the airport. There will also be designated spots for ride-sharing and an on-site car-sharing service for residents traveling to other neighborhoods.

Changing tastes and new technologies have fueled demand in recent years for neighborhoods downtown or in inner-ring suburbs where residents can walk to amenities. Concerns about the environmental and health impact of automobiles and worsening congestion have taken the sheen off driving for more people. Millennials in particular are choosing travel and other experiences over the costs of car ownership.

“Transportation has changed a lot over the last decade and real estate hasn’t kept up,” said Ryan Johnson, co-founder and chief executive of the new developer, Culdesac. “Now there’s the chance for us to build the first post-car development.”

The Phoenix area might seem an unlikely spot for such an experiment, but Tempe is something of an outlier among its neighbors. The 190-000-person college town has a median age of less than 30 years old, and younger people are less interested in driving than they were in the past. Only about a quarter of 16-year-olds had a driver’s license in 2017, down from half in 1983, according to an analysis of licensing data by transportation researcher Michael Sivak.

San Francisco-based Culdesac hopes to use the Tempe project as a model for bigger ventures around the country in talks with cities like Denver and Dallas. The company was started by Mr. Johnson, a founding member of Opendoor, a marketplace for buying and selling homes, and Jeff Berens, a fifth-generation Arizonan and former McKinsey & Co. consultant.

The developer has raised $10 million of venture-capital funding and plans to raise additional funds from real-estate investors for each project. The developers have raised $140 million of debt and equity from traditional real-estate investors for the Tempe project.

Far from everyone is convinced there are enough people in Tempe ready to toss their car keys. Most trips to restaurants, fitness centers and grocery stores require taking a freeway. Temperatures in the summer often climb north of 100 degrees Fahrenheit, which could make excessive walking or biking a strain.

“Quirky is probably the right word,” said Robert Dietz, chief economist at the National Association of Home Builders. “People are more adaptable in terms of taking Uber and public transport, but a lot of households still want one car.”

One of the biggest obstacles developers face is local parking requirements. Most municipalities require at least one parking spot per unit to ensure that new developments don’t contribute to gridlocks and parking shortages.

Culdesac, along with its local partner Sunbelt Holdings, negotiated with the city of Tempe to waive parking requirements for this 16-acre site, an unusual concession made easier by the development’s location.

Pedestrian-friendly neighborhoods may be gaining some momentum. A 2019 survey by the National Association of Home Builders showed that 60% of home buyers want to live in a walkable neighborhood—one of the top five desired qualities.

Townhouses, which tend to be in more dense, walkable neighborhoods, represented about 13% of new-home construction in the second quarter, up from about 10% five years ago, according to an analysis of U.S. Census data by the association.

Mark Mitchell, Tempe’s mayor, said the population of the city’s urban core is poised to double to 90,000 from 45,000 by 2040 and congestion is a major concern. “We’re trying to get individuals out of the car as much as possible,” he said.

Daniel Parolek, the founding principal of Opticos Design, the project’s architect, said he designed the project with plenty of shaded spots to combat the desert heat, inspired by a Greek or French village.

“They’re meandering, informal, there’s a sense of discovery,“ he said. ”They’re shaded. You’re not miserable.”

https://images.wsj.net/im-128077?width=1260&size=1.5

asugrad
Nov 19, 2019, 4:22 PM
The good news is that a new apartment building is being constructed without a big investment in parking. The bad news is the exoticization and hyperbole with which it's being described. This should be a common and unsurprising development along the light rail corridor:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2019/11/19/culdesac-tempe-apartment-complex-wont-offer-residential-parking/4191470002/

Edit: Apparently, it's been picked up by the Wall Street Journal as well. I can't read the whole article because I'm not a subscriber, but here's a link just in case any of you are:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-arizona-development-bans-residents-from-bringing-cars-11574164801

As much as I think this is a positive development, it's ridiculous to characterize this as a first for the nation or a total ban on residents owning cars. There are countless buildings in major cities that don't provide parking for their residents. Many residents rely on transit and taxis, and those who do own cars arrange to store them off-site. This may be a first for Tempe, but it's hardly a big deal on a national level.

Such an interesting project! Hopefully, it will be a success because if it fails, there really isn't much they can do to add parking.

Obadno
Nov 19, 2019, 4:26 PM
Such an interesting project! Hopefully, it will be a success because if it fails, there really isn't much they can do to add parking.

I dont see how it would fail its a glorified apartment complex with the facade of being a "walkable neighborhood.

Plenty of people in Tempe live in this area without cars already. I did it for years and that was before light rail

azsunsurfer
Nov 19, 2019, 4:40 PM
I dont see how it would fail its a glorified apartment complex with the facade of being a "walkable neighborhood.

Plenty of people in Tempe live in this area without cars already. I did it for years and that was before light rail

The WSJ really failed to mention that site is served by the light rail (with soon connection to the streetcar) as well as buses.

CrestedSaguaro
Nov 19, 2019, 4:42 PM

Not too mention, hotels are sprouting up in Downtown Phoenix that have no added parking (i.e. Hampton and Cambria). Not the same as residential, but same transportation concept. Ride-share, walk, bike or mass transit to your destination instead of driving.

CrestedSaguaro
Nov 19, 2019, 5:01 PM
I'm not sure if anyone was ever able to confirm that the FAA permit I posted a few weeks ago for "X Tempe" was actually for an X communities development or not. But I have confirmed Tempe will be getting an X. The submission was by Fabian Fondriest who is listed as a development associate for X Communities. Can't wait to see what they have proposed for Tempe!

ASU Diablo
Nov 19, 2019, 5:16 PM
I'm not sure if anyone was ever able to confirm that the FAA permit I posted a few weeks ago for "X Tempe" was actually for an X communities development or not. But I have confirmed Tempe will be getting an X. The submission was by Fabian Fondriest who is listed as a development associate for X Communities. Can't wait to see what they have proposed for Tempe!

Nice work. Do we have a location? Was it the former Skyview project as someone had mentioned?

muertecaza
Nov 19, 2019, 5:26 PM
Nice work. Do we have a location? Was it the former Skyview project as someone had mentioned?

Yes, the latitude/longitude listed on the obstruction evaluation RonnieFoos found puts it at the Skyview site.

Mr.RE
Nov 19, 2019, 5:59 PM
that is incredibly exciting. X Communities is driven by new, out of the box amenities. I can only imagine the kind of amenities planned, being within a college town. One thing I hope they revise, is bringing the pool to the rooftop of the 24 story rather than on top of the 7 story parking garage in the original design. That would offer some great unobstructed views in all directions.

azsunsurfer
Nov 19, 2019, 6:04 PM
Yes, the latitude/longitude listed on the obstruction evaluation RonnieFoos found puts it at the Skyview site.

The good news is that these X developers are serious. It wasn't long after the Phoenix project was announced did they start construction. I hope it's the same with Tempe, that site has been cursed. I assume the fastest way would be to build the project with the same approved plans as Skyview but with a modification for the rebranding unless they are planning to go thru the planning process with a complete redesign...then that might take a little more time?

muertecaza
Nov 19, 2019, 9:29 PM

Yeah, the hype machine on both sides of this is a little over the top. Culdesac describing it as "the first car-free neighborhood built from scratch in the U.S." is pretty silly, and the Wallstreet Journal's headline of "New Arizona Development Bans Residents From Bringing Cars" is pretty silly.

That said, there's a part of me that kind of loves that Culdesac is going all-in on marketing this as a car-free development. I am somewhat sympathetic to the CityLab/War on Cars set, and I'm really hopeful that Tempe will show the strength of their convictions and support an attempt to lessen car dependency, and that this will work.

Also, the AZ Central article says they already broke ground, and has a picture of a groundbreaking. Is that true? I didn't think they'd even had a development review yet...?

CBar
Nov 20, 2019, 2:09 AM
ASU President Michael Crow on the ASU-Omni Hotel deal:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/2019/11/19/asu-omni-hotel-deal-no-dishonest-scheme/4202984002/

combusean
Nov 20, 2019, 4:21 AM
Yeah, the hype machine on both sides of this is a little over the top. Culdesac describing it as "the first car-free neighborhood built from scratch in the U.S." is pretty silly, and the Wallstreet Journal's headline of "New Arizona Development Bans Residents From Bringing Cars" is pretty silly.

I don't know if any of these are by-definition inaccurate. I suppose in the first they could have had an asterisk for them doing this since the advent of the automobile. Even the streetcar suburbs often had parking, at least in Phoenix, and before the advent of the automobile horses, an even more cumbersome method of personal transportation, were very much a factor of city life. The second headline is true--residents cannot park their cars there.

That said, there's a part of me that kind of loves that Culdesac is going all-in on marketing this as a car-free development. I am somewhat sympathetic to the CityLab/War on Cars set, and I'm really hopeful that Tempe will show the strength of their convictions and support an attempt to lessen car dependency, and that this will work.

The fact is they're building this in Tempe where students are less likely to own cars to begin with so they have a built-in market.

But I have to wonder about whether people that are car-less by choice or otherwise (count me in both with a disability that I have found to be ironically liberating) want to be around students. I have made a mistake leasing my current apartment sorta near SJSU having recently got royally pissed off at the likely students having a loud party at 1 AM on a Thursday night. I have loathed living near SFSU in the past for similar reasons.

Also, the AZ Central article says they already broke ground, and has a picture of a groundbreaking. Is that true? I didn't think they'd even had a development review yet...?

In an odd twist of events, and ninja-editing my previous comment, they have broken ground without full approval. Seems sketchy but in line with the hype.

azsunsurfer
Nov 20, 2019, 1:54 PM
I don't know if any of these are by-definition inaccurate. I suppose in the first they could have had an asterisk for them doing this since the advent of the automobile. Even the streetcar suburbs often had parking, at least in Phoenix, and before the advent of the automobile horses, an even more cumbersome method of personal transportation, were very much a factor of city life. The second headline is true--residents cannot park their cars there.

The fact is they're building this in Tempe where students are less likely to own cars to begin with so they have a built-in market.

But I have to wonder about whether people that are car-less by choice or otherwise (count me in both with a disability that I have found to be ironically liberating) want to be around students. I have made a mistake leasing my current apartment sorta near SJSU having recently got royally pissed off at the likely students having a loud party at 1 AM on a Thursday night. I have loathed living near SFSU in the past for similar reasons.

In an odd twist of events, and ninja-editing my previous comment, they have broken ground without full approval. Seems sketchy but in line with the hype.

The "ground breaking" is just them clearing/ cleaning the site up and prepping it for development. They just had their first case at the DRC for the overall revisions to the site plan that the City Council will need to approve if they haven't met already. Then the developer was going to submit site plans for each particular phase, each time they are ready to go vertical. I think there were up to 5-7 phases? It seems that on the development tracker the first phase is already going thru entitlements.

CrestedSaguaro
Nov 20, 2019, 3:31 PM
ASU President Michael Crow on the ASU-Omni Hotel deal:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/2019/11/19/asu-omni-hotel-deal-no-dishonest-scheme/4202984002/

I haven't really followed this development too much, so I don't have really much to say on it. But I will say that Lauri Roberts has written a lot of misinformed articles pertaining to Phoenix development in the past and derogatory articles against the Suns many times including the arena rehab. I can care less for her articles and Crow seems to hammer the point that she publishes much misinformation. AZ Central really should let her go IMHO.

exit2lef
Nov 21, 2019, 12:26 PM
Some surprisingly get-off-my-lawn sentiment from a student newspaper:

https://www.statepress.com/article/2019/11/spmagazine-construction-mill-avenue-hurts-buisnesses-and-students

azliam
Nov 21, 2019, 2:57 PM
Some surprisingly get-off-my-lawn sentiment from a student newspaper:

https://www.statepress.com/article/2019/11/spmagazine-construction-mill-avenue-hurts-buisnesses-and-students

Time for these crybabies to shit or get off the pot. I'm pretty sure it was their choices to live in a growing metro of almost 5 million and/or attend the largest university in the country.

ASU Diablo
Nov 21, 2019, 3:31 PM
Time for these crybabies to shit or get off the pot. I'm pretty sure it was their choices to live in a growing metro of almost 5 million and/or attend the largest university in the country.

Yep agreed! BuT tHe tRaFfIc :duh

CrestedSaguaro
Nov 21, 2019, 4:02 PM

No doubt!

Yep agreed! BuT tHe tRaFfIc :duh
I actually think the traffic has improved over the last year or so with the exception of rush hour and construction zones. Also, why would students even complain about the traffic when nearly all of them are walking or riding bikes/scooters? :shrug:

Obadno
Nov 21, 2019, 4:26 PM
I dont think Tempe has seen a single year without massive constructions in the last decade.

They are complaining about something that is essentially a constant.

azsunsurfer
Nov 21, 2019, 4:53 PM
As a resident it is frustrating at times but I did agree to live there. I just don't see it ever ending. There is a benefit to it when the dust settles....

aderwent
Nov 21, 2019, 6:44 PM
Will Arizona State ever have a medical school and research hospital on campus? I know they have the alliance with the Mayo Clinic, and UA has the Phoenix medical school, but I feel like the St. Luke's property could be an ultra-dense, modern university hospital complex. I seem to remember something in the Arizona bylaws stating only UA can have one? That seems short sighted in such a growing state and region.

Obadno
Nov 21, 2019, 6:52 PM
Will Arizona State ever have a medical school and research hospital on campus? I know they have the alliance with the Mayo Clinic, and UA has the Phoenix medical school, but I feel like the St. Luke's property could be an ultra-dense, modern university hospital complex. I seem to remember something in the Arizona bylaws stating only UA can have one? That seems short sighted in such a growing state and region.

Almost 10 years ago now I sat in a room when Crow told us he was trying to get a med school going with Mayo

Clearly it hasn't made much progress

ASUSunDevil
Nov 21, 2019, 7:00 PM
Almost 10 years ago now I sat in a room when Crow told us he was trying to get a med school going with Mayo

https://asunow.asu.edu/20190425-solutions-asu-mayo-clinic-health-futures-center-groundbreaking

Obadno
Nov 21, 2019, 9:21 PM
https://asunow.asu.edu/20190425-solutions-asu-mayo-clinic-health-futures-center-groundbreaking

long way from a med school partnership

phoenixwillrise
Nov 21, 2019, 10:58 PM
Word to the wise. Don't bet against Crow. The relationship with Mayo and ASU is just getting started.

Obadno
Nov 21, 2019, 11:10 PM
Word to the wise. Don't bet against Crow. The relationship with Mayo and ASU is just getting started.

Im not betting against him, its just taking quite a long time.

CBar
Nov 22, 2019, 1:26 AM

There is a Mayo Medical School in Phoenix/Scottsdale and there is some collaboration with ASU on that.

Quote from https://college.mayo.edu/academics/school-of-medicine/md-program/locations/

Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine in Scottsdale/Phoenix, Arizona

A four-year M.D. Program based in Scottsdale/Phoenix, Arizona, with options to take electives and selectives on all three campuses of our national medical school. This medical school in Arizona is renowned for its quality and patient safety, focuses on adult specialty and surgical care in more than 65 medical and surgical disciplines. Students see a diverse patient population and practice in one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country.

I reached that link from https://mayo.asu.edu/education#mayo-medical-center . Quote from that:

Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

In 2017, Mayo Clinic's campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona, will become the third campus of Mayo Clinic's School of Medicine. Students will join about 5,700 Mayo Clinic employees who care for more than 100,000 patients every year. The Mayo Clinic School of Medicine in collaboration with Arizona State University has developed signature joint programs and received recognition by the American Medical Association for innovations in the medical school curriculum. For example, Mayo Clinic School of Medicine is the first in the nation to integrate a Science of Health Care Delivery certificate program with ASU into medical degree training. Find out more.

Obadno
Nov 22, 2019, 2:57 AM
There is a Mayo Medical School in Phoenix/Scottsdale and there is some collaboration with ASU on that.

Quote from https://college.mayo.edu/academics/school-of-medicine/md-program/locations/

Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine in Scottsdale/Phoenix, Arizona

A four-year M.D. Program based in Scottsdale/Phoenix, Arizona, with options to take electives and selectives on all three campuses of our national medical school. This medical school in Arizona is renowned for its quality and patient safety, focuses on adult specialty and surgical care in more than 65 medical and surgical disciplines. Students see a diverse patient population and practice in one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country.

I reached that link from https://mayo.asu.edu/education#mayo-medical-center . Quote from that:

Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

In 2017, Mayo Clinic's campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona, will become the third campus of Mayo Clinic's School of Medicine. Students will join about 5,700 Mayo Clinic employees who care for more than 100,000 patients every year. The Mayo Clinic School of Medicine in collaboration with Arizona State University has developed signature joint programs and received recognition by the American Medical Association for innovations in the medical school curriculum. For example, Mayo Clinic School of Medicine is the first in the nation to integrate a Science of Health Care Delivery certificate program with ASU into medical degree training. Find out more.

Oh well I haven't heard anything about that.

fawd
Nov 22, 2019, 5:42 AM
Oh well I haven't heard anything about that.

That's cause there isn't anything to hear about.

I would be SHOCKED if Mayo did anything even close to an equally co-branded medical school with ASU.

ASU Diablo
Nov 25, 2019, 7:17 PM
https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/commercial-real-estate/construction/mccarthy-tops-out-mirabella-at-asu/

ASU Diablo
Nov 25, 2019, 9:34 PM
Does anyone find it strange that no recent updates have been provided regarding the remodel for Desert Financial Arena (aka The Bank) or any news around the multi-purpose/hockey arena that's supposed to be built right next to it?

So I heard a rumor on a Sun Devil message board I frequent that has a lot of connected alumni, some specifically to the ASU Hockey Program. So the latest rumor is the arena will be built on the former Packard Stadium site, SWC of Rio Salado and Rural. Obviously, some major impacts here to the proposed master plan of the Novus Corridor by Catellus. Has anyone heard any possible rumblings about this?

Here's the latest Land Use Plan:
https://dev-iztest.ws.asu.edu/sites/all/themes/innovationcustom/pdfs/Novus-land_use_plan.pdf

phoenixwillrise
Nov 25, 2019, 9:47 PM
That's cause there isn't anything to hear about.

I would be SHOCKED if Mayo did anything even close to an equally co-branded medical school with ASU.
With Michael Crow involved I wouldn't be the least bit shocked. Never bet against an absolute winner.

soled
Nov 26, 2019, 12:41 PM
Does anyone find it strange that no recent updates have been provided regarding the remodel for Desert Financial Arena (aka The Bank) or any news around the multi-purpose/hockey arena that's supposed to be built right next to it?

So I heard a rumor on a Sun Devil message board I frequent that has a lot of connected alumni, some specifically to the ASU Hockey Program. So the latest rumor is the arena will be built on the former Packard Stadium site, SWC of Rio Salado and Rural. Obviously, some major impacts here to the proposed master plan of the Novus Corridor by Catellus. Has anyone heard any possible rumblings about this?

Here's the latest Land Use Plan:
https://dev-iztest.ws.asu.edu/sites/all/themes/innovationcustom/pdfs/Novus-land_use_plan.pdf

Iirc, last I heard was the delay on the Bank reno was due to a revisit to ADA requirement issues. I'll try to remember to ask around after TGiving weekend.

Are you on Karp's 247, or Hode's Rivals?

ASU Diablo
Nov 26, 2019, 2:08 PM
Iirc, last I heard was the delay on the Bank reno was due to a revisit to ADA requirement issues. I'll try to remember to ask around after TGiving weekend.

Are you on Karp's 247, or Hode's Rivals?

CK’s of course!

fawd
Nov 26, 2019, 2:25 PM
With Michael Crow involved I wouldn't be the least bit shocked. Never bet against an absolute winner.

That'd be like Walter Cronkite School of Biz co-branding with Glendale Community College. Never gonna happen!

phoenixwillrise
Nov 26, 2019, 5:17 PM
That'd be like Walter Cronkite School of Biz co-branding with Glendale Community College. Never gonna happen!
Look what Crow has accomplished already. He isn't one to waste time and effort. He isn't doing this present collaboration with Mayo and ASU for his health! Sit back, watch and learn.

CB1
Nov 26, 2019, 7:04 PM
http://aerialsphere.com/spheres/arizona/11172019/5/

Mr.RE
Nov 26, 2019, 10:39 PM
http://aerialsphere.com/spheres/arizona/11172019/5/

Woah! This is so cool. Where did you find this? Captures everything going on in tempe.

Obadno
Nov 26, 2019, 11:06 PM
Woah! This is so cool. Where did you find this? Captures everything going on in tempe.

They are a company they have all of Phoenix done, although several years out of date.

Spitfiredude
Nov 26, 2019, 11:12 PM
Look what Crow has accomplished already. He isn't one to waste time and effort. He isn't doing this present collaboration with Mayo and ASU for his health! Sit back, watch and learn.

Get off his back like that. Athletics is average as always. He also killed a high rise project on College Ave... killed Greek life... & thinks putting senior living on Mill Ave is a good idea. But hey we’re number 1 in innovation.... #2 Stanford.
https://youtu.be/z50MgZ6aGxE

CB1
Nov 27, 2019, 4:42 AM

I follow Novus Innovation Corridor on Facebook. They post updates and pictures about the development. :)

DesertRay
Nov 27, 2019, 4:53 AM
Get off his back like that. Athletics is average as always. He also killed a high rise project on College Ave... killed Greek life... & thinks putting senior living on Mill Ave is a good idea. But hey we’re number 1 in innovation.... #2 Stanford.
https://youtu.be/z50MgZ6aGxE

Poor little frats...sniff.

LOL

Obadno
Nov 27, 2019, 6:28 AM
Poor little frats...sniff.

LOL

sad when GDI's still hold a grudge countless years after graduation:cheers:

CrestedSaguaro
Nov 27, 2019, 3:42 PM

Pretty awesome capture! Need one over DT PHX.

How were they able to fly a drone this high? This is obviously way over the limit and in a major flight path. Would the FAA have given them permission for this? Not that it matters, but just curious. I don't know drone laws that well.

fawd
Nov 27, 2019, 5:48 PM
Pretty awesome capture! Need one over DT PHX.

How were they able to fly a drone this high? This is obviously way over the limit and in a major flight path. Would the FAA have given them permission for this? Not that it matters, but just curious. I don't know drone laws that well.

They are using a commercial-grade drone - an octocopter with a SonyA7 or something similar attached - which allows them to mechanically get to higher altitudes and capture these high quality images. These commercial drones don't have the built in GPS flight restrictions that a consumer drone has.

They also have commercial drone pilot licenses - you register with the FAA. Then they contact the FAA and request an exemption waiver for high altitude flight. Then, on the day of the production, they are in constant contact with the flight tower operators etc. These type of drones have a pilot, gimbal operator, and one or two others that handle the logistics. So it takes a small village to run properly.

I've been a part of similar shoots, but with RED Monstros attached for video, rather than photography.

CB1
Nov 28, 2019, 3:41 PM
Finally we can move forward with Omni! AZCENTRAL: “A lawsuit from the Arizona attorney general attacking a hotel deal by Arizona State University was shot down by an Arizona Tax Court judge on Wednesday. In the lawsuit, Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich argued that a deal by ASU to bring an Omni Hotel onto land owned by the Arizona Board of Regents was unlawful.“

CBar
Nov 29, 2019, 1:38 PM
Finally we can move forward with Omni! AZCENTRAL: “A lawsuit from the Arizona attorney general attacking a hotel deal by Arizona State University was shot down by an Arizona Tax Court judge on Wednesday. In the lawsuit, Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich argued that a deal by ASU to bring an Omni Hotel onto land owned by the Arizona Board of Regents was unlawful.“

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-education/2019/11/27/asu-omni-hotel-deal-judge-rules-against-arizona-attorney-general-brnovich/4323766002/

CrestedSaguaro
Nov 29, 2019, 2:35 PM
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-education/2019/11/27/asu-omni-hotel-deal-judge-rules-against-arizona-attorney-general-brnovich/4323766002/

With losing this and probably losing the tuition lawsuit, Brnovich is committing career suicide. He should stop while he still has dignity :sly:

DesertRay
Nov 29, 2019, 3:27 PM
sad when GDI's still hold a grudge countless years after graduation:cheers:

Nah. I Rushed twice, and turned down two bids. I made lifelong friendships with some of the guys who pledged, and maintain those friendships. A few of those guys are still close to their Greek bros, and some aren't. Clubs are good for folks, but the shenanigans of the Greek orgs are slowly ending, and Crow had the foresight to get slightly ahead of the curve. The Greek orgs will probably always be with us, but will continue to shrink and evolve. It's a good thing that the Greek orgs are shedding the predators that use the positives of Greek life and legal arcana to shield the criminal behavior of the parasites that hover around the clubhouses.

Obadno
Nov 29, 2019, 4:08 PM
Nah. I Rushed twice, and turned down two bids. I made lifelong friendships with some of the guys who pledged, and maintain those friendships. A few of those guys are still close to their Greek bros, and some aren't. Clubs are good for folks, but the shenanigans of the Greek orgs are slowly ending, and Crow had the foresight to get slightly ahead of the curve. The Greek orgs will probably always be with us, but will continue to shrink and evolve. It's a good thing that the Greek orgs are shedding the predators that use the positives of Greek life and legal arcana to shield the criminal behavior of the parasites that hover around the clubhouses.

Yikes dude it was just a joke, no wonder you never got a bid

DesertRay
Nov 30, 2019, 3:41 PM
Yikes dude it was just a joke, no wonder you never got a bid

Not "a" bid. Two bids. Great guys, but didn't need to join to get lifelong friends. My friends are cool that way. You OK? Didn't mean to trigger you.

Obadno
Nov 30, 2019, 4:22 PM
Not "a" bid. Two bids. Great guys, but didn't need to join to get lifelong friends. My friends are cool that way. You OK? Didn't mean to trigger you.

Sure thing there buddy, trying a little too hard now bro.

DesertRay
Dec 1, 2019, 2:48 PM
Sure thing there buddy, trying a little too hard now bro.

I love you, too. Hang in there.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Mr.RE
Dec 2, 2019, 3:09 PM
Drove by the Pier site this morning at 6am and saw about 75 trucks in the parking lot and around the site with the crane operating. Seems like its picking up pace!

CrestedSaguaro
Dec 2, 2019, 3:45 PM
Drove by the Pier site this morning at 6am and saw about 75 trucks in the parking lot and around the site with the crane operating. Seems like its picking up pace!

Good lord, I hope so. Do we even have an updated rendering or specs of this?

Mr.RE
Dec 2, 2019, 4:14 PM
Good lord, I hope so. Do we even have an updated rendering or specs of this?

Only information I have seen in the past two years has been on this architects website: https://www.rinka.com/ucpier-1

CrestedSaguaro
Dec 2, 2019, 4:50 PM
Only information I have seen in the past two years has been on this architects website: https://www.rinka.com/ucpier-1

Well, it looks like they have a couple of updated pics and state the finish time in 2020. Let's hope they are ramping up construction to finish by the end of 2020.

Obadno
Dec 2, 2019, 4:55 PM
Well, it looks like they have a couple of updated pics and state the finish time in 2020. Let's hope they are ramping up construction to finish by the end of 2020.

The pier will be done in 2120 maybe

ASU Diablo
Dec 3, 2019, 9:46 PM
Man i really loved this bar and such a bummer that it's being forced to close down. ASU is apparently the new buyer...wonder what the plans are?

Love what he has done for ASU over the years but Crow is really killing any remaining Game Day atmosphere left. This was the nearest bar to SDS and The Bank...now guess we have to hang out by our cars to drink prior to a game.

https://twitter.com/RachelColeTV/status/1201952495238467584

exit2lef
Dec 3, 2019, 10:04 PM
Man i really loved this bar and such a bummer that it's being forced to close down. ASU is apparently the new buyer...wonder what the plans are?

Love what he has done for ASU over the years but Crow is really killing any remaining Game Day atmosphere left. This was the nearest bar to SDS and The Bank...now guess we have to hang out by our cars to drink prior to a game.

Interesting. I'm not upset about College Bar because I'm not a sports fan and have never understood athletic tribalism. I am wondering, though, about Royal Coffee Bar and the architecture firm upstairs. Are they going to have to leave too? I'd hate to see ASU take over all of that area. It's good to have a mix of uses near the Tempe Transportation Center and Sun Devil Stadium.

PHX31
Dec 3, 2019, 10:28 PM

I never went to this bar (haven't been to as many ASU games, nor do I drink as much for games since having 2 kids), although I followed it on Twitter and it sucks it's closing. I used to go to several of the establishments on College Ave before, during (halftime), and after games back in my post-grad years of being an ASU season ticket holder. Many are now gone, if not all. This includes Fumbles, the Hawaiian place, the college store where you could buy 12 packs at halftime, etc.).

This has got me thinking of all of the changes that have happened to the ASU area since I was a student at ASU. It's so much more of a new and big city feel down there now. I'm happy I was able to catch the tail end of the "glory years" of the scene down there, if you will, prior to the immense construction boom beginning with light rail. I have great memories of the old Dos Gringos on University, Long Wongs, Bandersnatch, the Thirsty Beaver, and many old Mill Avenue bars (too many to list, but my favorite was Owl's Nest when it first opened and Palapas (sp?)).
:cheers:

exit2lef
Dec 3, 2019, 11:21 PM
Here's coverage from the State Press. Apparently, Royal Coffee Bar will stay and there may be a new restaurant tenant:

https://www.statepress.com/article/2019/12/spcommunity-college-bar-closes

DesertRay
Dec 3, 2019, 11:47 PM
Here's coverage from the State Press. Apparently, Royal Coffee Bar will stay and there may be a new restaurant tenant:

Sounds like Gammage was calling the shots, and Crow had nothing to do with it. Hope they get something that folks can go to on Game Day that is fun. It will be nice to get the hotels up and running, but I like me a good college bar.

dtnphx
Dec 3, 2019, 11:49 PM
As a group, we tend to want to see massive development to transform our cities, but then look nostalgically back on what was lost. More often than not, what was there wasn't that great to begin with, or saying it's sad that a certain bar or restaurant is closing when one hasn't been there in 5 years. It's just tied to good times and memories that make it seem like that was the greatest time of our lives. When you look at it, Tempe (and downtown Phoenix) were not great places to be. Now with all the choices abound, it could become the place(s) that will be a foundation for future memories.

ASU Diablo
Dec 3, 2019, 11:51 PM

Well, looks like the bar owners may be at fault for this? Oh well.

I never went to this bar (haven't been to as many ASU games, nor do I drink as much for games since having 2 kids), although I followed it on Twitter and it sucks it's closing. I used to go to several of the establishments on College Ave before, during (halftime), and after games back in my post-grad years of being an ASU season ticket holder. Many are now gone, if not all. This includes Fumbles, the Hawaiian place, the college store where you could buy 12 packs at halftime, etc.).

This has got me thinking of all of the changes that have happened to the ASU area since I was a student at ASU. It's so much more of a new and big city feel down there now. I'm happy I was able to catch the tail end of the "glory years" of the scene down there, if you will, prior to the immense construction boom beginning with light rail. I have great memories of the old Dos Gringos on University, Long Wongs, Bandersnatch, the Thirsty Beaver, and many old Mill Avenue bars (too many to list, but my favorite was Owl's Nest when it first opened and Palapas (sp?)).
:cheers:

No kidding. I graduated in 2007 and loved my time at ASU. 50 Cent Corona Nights on Thursdays at Dos Gringos or $1 Beer Stein Nights at The Vine were awesome. Even tailgating now is not as crazy as it used to be. Lot 59 (where Marina Heights is) used to be ridiculous but now ASU has banned kegs, drinking games, etc. I am a current Football season ticket holder and try to attend 2-3 basketball games a year so I know the current game day atmosphere and it's lacking. I'm all for development but the Novus Innovation Corridor has really hampered available tailgating locations too. At some point once all parking and empty lots are built upon, I really hope ASU opens up tailgating on College Ave and into the camps near Old Main. If you've ever been to a USC Football Game and seen the tailgating there, you know what I'm talking about. Or something similar to what happens during ASU Homecoming...close down University and allow some tailgating there and into the lawn in and around Old Main. One can hope...

ASU Diablo
Dec 3, 2019, 11:52 PM
As a group, we tend to want to see massive development to transform our cities, but then look nostalgically back on what was lost. More often than not, what was there wasn't that great to begin with, or saying it's sad that a certain bar or restaurant is closing when one hasn't been there in 5 years. It's just tied to good times and memories that make it seem like that was the greatest time of our lives. When you look at it, Tempe (and downtown Phoenix) were not great places to be. Now with all the choices abound, it could become the place(s) that will be a foundation for future memories.

Well said :cheers:

Obadno
Dec 4, 2019, 3:38 PM

Jesus now I feel old.

That place didnt exist when I was in school. We got by on Gameday when everything around the stadium was lots, parking and just dirt with the only bars being on mill and Mill was half dead.

We also walked to the stadium, in snow, both ways with the looming skeleton of West 6 creaking over it like the harbinger of doom.

Kids these days I swear

CrestedSaguaro
Dec 4, 2019, 3:57 PM
As for me, I didn't live hear then, so I'm not missing anything :haha:

PHX31
Dec 4, 2019, 4:52 PM
I really hope ASU opens up tailgating on College Ave and into the camps near Old Main. If you've ever been to a USC Football Game and seen the tailgating there, you know what I'm talking about. Or something similar to what happens during ASU Homecoming...close down University and allow some tailgating there and into the lawn in and around Old Main. One can hope...

I went to Athens, Georgia when ASU played at Georgia, so I know full well what awesome tailgating looks like. There, the entire campus, which is right next to Sanford Stadium, is a big tailgate party. When I saw people with grills set up on the steps to the campus buildings, I was surprised and thought it was very cool/fun.

Imagine setting up your tailgate party on the steps of Old Main or here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4209503,-111.9338401,3a,75y,93.18h,94.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIh6cD4hR2SGgQaeQ-h37EQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

That's what it was like in Athens.

Classical in Phoenix
Dec 4, 2019, 11:55 PM
Interesting article on the Biodesign Institute Building C.

https://asunow.asu.edu/20191203-sounds-science-quiet-home-powerful-laser

muertecaza
Dec 5, 2019, 10:24 PM
A few photos from the last 2 days around Tempe:

It looks like they are doing archaeological work at the 100 Mill site and turning up some interesting things:

https://i.imgur.com/mupFeFTh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nwNRrNHh.jpg

Mirabella

https://i.imgur.com/vfblvDMh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ac96JBMh.jpg

Oliv

https://i.imgur.com/GSkmstQh.jpg

Westin

https://i.imgur.com/QNzhJIBh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/y4n9urPh.jpg

Crappy cell phone pictures, but you can get the sense that Tempe is starting to have a kind of interesting skyline from some angles:

https://i.imgur.com/j7fnyikh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/CjWd7WOh.jpg

Mr.RE
Dec 5, 2019, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the photo update! its been awhile since I have been through tempe. Great progress being made!

Are those ruins at the 100 mill site?? I expect that to delay the project quite a bit if archeologists have to get involved.

muertecaza
Dec 5, 2019, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the photo update! its been awhile since I have been through tempe. Great progress being made!

Are those ruins at the 100 mill site?? I expect that to delay the project quite a bit if archeologists have to get involved.

Yes--they are where the office building is supposed to go. Not surprising I guess since it's on the site of the oldest continuously inhabited structure in the Valley, but yeah I imagine it may still be a while until they are building.

muertecaza
Dec 6, 2019, 12:02 AM
Article on potential legal issues with Hilo's proposed age restriction to 21+.

https://azbigmedia.com/business/law/hilo-tempe-apartments-plan-to-ban-tenants-under-21-raises-legal-concerns/

Similar issues were raised with Hanover/Emerson, which is no longer is age-restricted. Not sure if they stopped the restrictions because of legal issues, demand, or change of management.

CB1
Dec 9, 2019, 1:20 AM
https://i.imgur.com/RFekgmu.jpg

Park Place

CB1
Dec 9, 2019, 1:21 AM
https://i.imgur.com/MZIaguo.jpg