PDA

View Full Version : Tempe Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117

PHXFlyer11
Nov 13, 2014, 9:09 PM
Two new articles on azcentral. I cannot copy and paste because of access issues. I read them on my phone. One is opposition toward the Jefferson project, while the other is on rebranding Mill Ave as Downtown Tempe.

Here is the one on Jefferson: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2014/11/13/tempe-council-weighs-unit-apartment-town-lake/18969053/

The true issue seems to be condos vs. apartments. The owners at NorthShore see apartments as destroying value of their condos. They would then be surrounded by apartments on two sides. If condos are built it can actually enhance the value of their properties. So although they make other arguments, this is really the heart of what's going on here.

I agree with them, but really someone who develops and rents apartments is FAR different than someone who develops and sells condos. I don't see them changing this project in that regard.

PHXFlyer11
Nov 14, 2014, 3:20 PM
It looks like Marina Heights is topped out at 16 stories now (without utilities), and the third building is approaching 8 stories. I believe the third building is to reach around 14 stories if I counted right. Also looks like the 3-4 story building facing the lake is nearly topped out.

PHXFlyer11
Nov 14, 2014, 5:26 PM
Good article in PHX Business Journal, but much new but it does mention a "tower" for University and Ash. http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/blog/business/2014/11/tempe-mayor-we-want-to-lead-arizonas-economic.html

dtnphx
Nov 14, 2014, 9:34 PM
Not sure if it's been brought up but does anyone know about a proposed 26-story, mixed-use building proposed for the NEC of Ash and 5th St. (230 E. 5th St.)? The developer is JAH Ventures, LLP?

MegaBass
Nov 17, 2014, 4:52 AM
Aaron May's The Lodge will take over the former home of the Sail Inn at 26 S. Farmer Avenue, placing the restaurant and bar across the street from Sam Fox's The Yard Tempe, which will also include a new location of May's breakfast spot Over Easy. (Chow Bella (http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/2014/11/the_lodge_scottsdale_closing_tempe_shotgun_bettys.php))

PHXFlyer11
Nov 17, 2014, 3:27 PM
Aaron May's The Lodge will take over the former home of the Sail Inn at 26 S. Farmer Avenue, placing the restaurant and bar across the street from Sam Fox's The Yard Tempe, which will also include a new location of May's breakfast spot Over Easy. (Chow Bella (http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/2014/11/the_lodge_scottsdale_closing_tempe_shotgun_bettys.php))

Very cool! That area is really on fire with The Yard/Madison, The Lodge and the SkyBridge apartments or whatever they call them.

I wonder if Tempe will RFQ out the parking lot on 5th & Farmer for a cool mixed use midrise tower.

ASUSunDevil
Nov 17, 2014, 10:41 PM
Very cool! That area is really on fire with The Yard/Madison, The Lodge and the SkyBridge apartments or whatever they call them.

I wonder if Tempe will RFQ out the parking lot on 5th & Farmer for a cool mixed use midrise tower.

Right now I think Tempe is banking pretty well off of that parking lot. They sell monthly parking passes, charge $10 for events and I'm pretty sure Sam Fox is going to rent a portion to use as a valet lot for The Yard.

Speaking of The Yard, it doesn't seem that they are going to incorporate the game (bags/table tennis) aspect into the Tempe location. I think that's a huge mistake if true, especially after hearing that they're targeting the "upper class" college crowd.

PHXFlyer11
Nov 17, 2014, 11:04 PM
Right now I think Tempe is banking pretty well off of that parking lot. They sell monthly parking passes, charge $10 for events and I'm pretty sure Sam Fox is going to rent a portion to use as a valet lot for The Yard.

But why wouldn't they want to have it developed with Public Parking as a required component of the development?

rocksteady
Nov 17, 2014, 11:04 PM

Speaking of The Yard, it doesn't seem that they are going to incorporate the game (bags/table tennis) aspect into the Tempe location. I think that's a huge mistake if true, especially after hearing that they're targeting the "upper class" college crowd.

Huge mistake if so. If that's the case and what they want to do then the Phoenix location should be geared to "upper class" college folks who are less likely to live off campus and closer to those higher income neighborhoods. The one in Tempe is perfect for the bags/tennis table clientele. When I first heard The Yard was opening a location in Tempe that was the FIRST thing I thought of when I thought of why it would be a huge success there.

Jjs5056
Nov 18, 2014, 1:21 AM

Which apartments are you referring to as SkyBridge? The ones that were formerly Argo? If so, they are called SkyWater; just FYI, in case I'm missing a different complex under construction.

As for Culinary Droupout, what's giving the impression that no games would be involved? I believe that's the entire concept of having "the Yard."

And for the rest of Farmer, I am sure Tempe is still hoping for it to follow along the former proposal of Farmer Arts District; the remaining land was to be used for affordable housing, mixed use apartments and a library branch.

ASUSunDevil
Nov 18, 2014, 1:37 AM
Huge mistake if so. If that's the case and what they want to do then the Phoenix location should be geared to "upper class" college folks who are less likely to live off campus and closer to those higher income neighborhoods. The one in Tempe is perfect for the bags/tennis table clientele. When I first heard The Yard was opening a location in Tempe that was the FIRST thing I thought of when I thought of why it would be a huge success there.

That's also the first thing I thought of when I heard "The Yard". I live extremely close and I don't see an area where the games would be. From what I've read it is explained as a restaurant and two banquet rooms, as well as Madison and Over Easy. Culinary Dropout is a mediocre restaurant, no games and I'll walk right past "The Yard" and eat at The Lodge.

There is a meeting coming up on the StreetCar:

http://http://www.valleymetro.org/projects_and_planning/project_detail/tempe_streetcar/ (http://www.valleymetro.org/projects_and_planning/project_detail/tempe_streetcar/)

PHXFlyer11
Nov 18, 2014, 4:04 AM
That's also the first thing I thought of when I heard "The Yard". I live extremely close and I don't see an area where the games would be. From what I've read it is explained as a restaurant and two banquet rooms, as well as Madison and Over Easy. Culinary Dropout is a mediocre restaurant, no games and I'll walk right past "The Yard" and eat at The Lodge.

There is a meeting coming up on the StreetCar:

http://http://www.valleymetro.org/projects_and_planning/project_detail/tempe_streetcar/ (http://www.valleymetro.org/projects_and_planning/project_detail/tempe_streetcar/)

Thanks for the update. Looks as though this meeting is around gathering input for an Environmental Analysis to be submitted to the feds in January. I assume this is progress and a step forward.

The last update we had on USAplace was that it'd break ground in December. I am fearful that is not the case, but I have my fingers crossed.

PHXFlyer11
Nov 18, 2014, 4:06 AM
Which apartments are you referring to as SkyBridge? The ones that were formerly Argo? If so, they are called SkyWater; just FYI, in case I'm missing a different complex under construction.

Yes, you are correct, my brain was fried today, and it's only Monday.

Jjs5056
Nov 18, 2014, 11:55 AM
Yes, you are correct, my brain was fried today, and it's only Monday.

No problem. :) It's hard to keep track of all the Tempe projects.

I think you guys are panicking over nothing re: The Yard; all reports mention the outdoor area as providing space for music and games: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2014/07/19/tempe-fox-restaurant-first-revitalize-farmer-avenue/12857837/
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2014/04/09/sam-fox-bringing-culinary-dropout-to-another-yard.html?page=all

It's also the most expensive FRC project to date, though that's unsurprising given the restoration efforts: http://ktar.com/22/1783184/Report-Tempe-Culinary-Dropout-is-Sam-Foxs-most-expensive-project

I still can't believe all of the waiting with the streetcar; IIRC, it was supposed to be running by now had the original plan been approved. It's kind of ridiculous that there was such delays getting the final route public, when it was just simply combining the two options. I still think this final alignment misses the mark, being redundant with light rail along Apache, and especially if potential redevelopment is high on the priority list. Aside from Ash, this route simply follows the construction trends - Apache and this part of Rio Salado are fairly built up. I think I actually like the original line better... would've been interesting to see Tempe densify more in the center/south, at least along major intersections/roads, and it would've been a nice potential connection in the future to Fountainhead and the Civic Plaza on Southern. Oh well.

PHXFlyer11
Nov 18, 2014, 1:47 PM
I still can't believe all of the waiting with the streetcar; IIRC, it was supposed to be running by now had the original plan been approved. It's kind of ridiculous that there was such delays getting the final route public, when it was just simply combining the two options. I still think this final alignment misses the mark, being redundant with light rail along Apache, and especially if potential redevelopment is high on the priority list. Aside from Ash, this route simply follows the construction trends - Apache and this part of Rio Salado are fairly built up. I think I actually like the original line better... would've been interesting to see Tempe densify more in the center/south, at least along major intersections/roads, and it would've been a nice potential connection in the future to Fountainhead and the Civic Plaza on Southern. Oh well.

Funny that you say that. I was looking at the route and thinking that Ash really doesn't have many lots left for development. There is the proposed tower on Ash and 5th, then the city owned corner/abandoned building right on the corner of Rio and Ash, and the city parking lot on 3rd and Ash, that's about it.

I almost think Farmer would be better at this point. Ash would still benefit, but how cool would it be to stop at The Yard and help get University & Ash off the ground. Seems silly to my to have the street car go down consecutive streets in Mill and Ash. I'd personally prefer College and Farmer to make access to the entire area contained in those boundaries simpler. Of course with stops at Rio and Mill and University and Mill.

One more incoherent thought... I think Macayo's is an excellent opportunity for redevelopment, similar to Monti's. It has to be only a matter of time. I would love to see commuter rail come to fruition. That would be the PERFECT stop for Tempe, below a mixed-use series of 2-3 towers and of course, a Macayo's restaurant on the ground floor with the commuter train station. One can dream.

Jjs5056
Nov 18, 2014, 3:11 PM
Funny that you say that. I was looking at the route and thinking that Ash really doesn't have many lots left for development. There is the proposed tower on Ash and 5th, then the city owned corner/abandoned building right on the corner of Rio and Ash, and the city parking lot on 3rd and Ash, that's about it.

I almost think Farmer would be better at this point. Ash would still benefit, but how cool would it be to stop at The Yard and help get University & Ash off the ground. Seems silly to my to have the street car go down consecutive streets in Mill and Ash. I'd personally prefer College and Farmer to make access to the entire area contained in those boundaries simpler. Of course with stops at Rio and Mill and University and Mill.

One more incoherent thought... I think Macayo's is an excellent opportunity for redevelopment, similar to Monti's. It has to be only a matter of time. I would love to see commuter rail come to fruition. That would be the PERFECT stop for Tempe, below a mixed-use series of 2-3 towers and of course, a Macayo's restaurant on the ground floor with the commuter train station. One can dream.

It won't actually go down Ash and Mill at the same time; it'll go from a bi-directional train to a one-way loop once it hits University (so, only northbound on Mill with stops on 7th, 3rd and Rio Salado; then, southbound on Ash with stops at 5th and University)... I don't quite understand the logistics now that there's extensions on both Mill and Rio Salado (as in what happens along Rio Salado?), but that was the idea when it was one vs. the other. The rationale was that the streetcar could still run during the events/festivals that shut down Mill Avenue by heading down Ash.

I agree that Farmer/College would make a little more sense, but I still think it would ultimately be redundant and unnecessary with how close light rail is. Downtown Tempe is considered the most urban area of the metro for a reason - it's already walkable and the lots you highlighted are all within a 1/4-1/2 mile of a light rail stop. I'm antsy for them to get developed, too, but I think that'll happen regardless. The streetcar should serve as a connection to the light rail and promote walkability and dense development in areas that aren't currently served by mass transit, IMO, not just make a downtown trip more convenient (which is really all the current alignment will do).

I think my ideal starter line would've nixed the Rio Salado and Apache extensions and instead traveled between Mill (with the Ash or Farmer loop to provide a downtown connection and set up the area for a future commuter/LRT/streetcar hub like you mentioned) > Priest; Broadway > University, with a future line running north on Priest to Galvin Parkway and the Papago Park amenities. This would'e promoted smart growth along University and Broadway (which would've fit perfectly with the streetscape projects both are undergoing), tied downtown to Fountainhead which is becoming a major employment hub, and linked southern/central neighborhoods together with access to LRT.

^ I agree that Macayo's would be an ideal redevelopment opportunity. I hope that once Farmer is built out, that those lots along Ash fill in and that those developments, along with the small historic section create a nice bridge onto Mill.

asalais415
Nov 19, 2014, 9:37 PM
I am a student myself, but wow! What a short-sighted, poorly researched, and self-centered perspective.

http://www.statepress.com/2014/11/17/asu-needs-mill-avenue-not-downtown-tempe/?fb_action_ids=10204176520311187&fb_action_types=og.comments

exit2lef
Nov 19, 2014, 10:44 PM
I am a student myself, but wow! What a short-sighted, poorly researched, and self-centered perspective.

http://www.statepress.com/2014/11/17/asu-needs-mill-avenue-not-downtown-tempe/?fb_action_ids=10204176520311187&fb_action_types=og.comments

Agreed. Lots of whining and very little substance there. Tempe has never been purely a college town.

nickw252
Nov 19, 2014, 11:20 PM
Agreed. Lots of whining and very little substance there. Tempe has never been purely a college town.

What an idiotic article. Successful small college towns like Madison and Ann Arbor are successful because the college adds to the city, not dominates the city.

One of the commenters is lamenting the closing of Monti's as evidence that Mill Ave. is losing it's "college" influence. Since when was Monti's a "college" type restaurant?

Spitfiredude
Nov 20, 2014, 3:26 AM

Jesus! What a bunch of uninformed idiots (including most comments). They obviously lack any background in the subject. Mill Ave was dead just 5-10 years ago. It has began to blossom in the last 4 or so years. Oh gosh...

Jjs5056
Nov 20, 2014, 4:38 AM
Jesus! What a bunch of uninformed idiots (including most comments). They obviously lack any background in the subject. Mill Ave was dead just 5-10 years ago. It has began to blossom in the last 4 or so years. Oh gosh...

Agreed. Downtown needs to start diversifying its mix of retail beyond the food/beverage industries, IMO, but other than that, no complaints from me. My response:

"This may have been true a decade ago, but it has been a long time since the days of Abercrombie, GAP, and the like invading Mill. Since the recession rebound, Mill has become a popular place for small, local business once again as Kyle stated above.

The original author also doesn't seem to realize that just 5-6 years ago, post-freshman living at ASU was nearly nonexistent near campus. Now, Vista del Sol, The Vue/922, W6, Hanover, Grigio Metro and more provide convenient options for students, and the rents of these establishments won't go UP because of increased competition. If anything, they will go down, only benefitting students.

The City has a vision for its downtown that is diverse economically and not reliant on the admittedly huge anchor ASU is. Marina Heights and USA Place are two huge steps toward fulfilling that vision. As employment continues to pour in, it makes sense to rebrand the area so that future urban infill can provide housing for the finlux of workers and visitors who will be coming to the area. Mill Ave will always be at the center of the action - especially for college students, but for all residents, particularly wish the streetcar loop intended to open within the next several years. But, everyone will benefit from having more options than one road, and I'm excited to watch as development spills over to previously abandoned areas like Farmer and College."

PHXFlyer11
Nov 20, 2014, 5:01 PM
Looking at the Marina Heights cam I see that the State Farm sign is now atop the first completed building.

somethingfast
Nov 20, 2014, 5:39 PM
Looking at the Marina Heights cam I see that the State Farm sign is now atop the first completed building.

Any pics?? Can you help a brutha out?

dtnphx
Nov 20, 2014, 5:42 PM
Here's the webcam:

http://oxblue.com/open/ryancompanies/marinaheights

rocksteady
Nov 20, 2014, 7:31 PM
Here's the webcam:

http://oxblue.com/open/ryancompanies/marinaheights After not having seen it since I moved I'm really loving the cutouts and glass on these buildings. So is that one in the middle going to be the tallest of them all or is another supposed to be taller?

Jjs5056
Nov 20, 2014, 7:50 PM
I believe so; the building on the left and a near duplicate of it on the far right will be just a few stories shorter.

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/2dba681966f5070672a35dd385c8e28ab8e99222/c=0-6-700-532&r=x513&c=680x510/local/-/media/Phoenix/Phoenix/2014/05/22//1400782573000-phxdc5-6bwe2aqgi8w7vow9373-original.jpg

combusean
Nov 20, 2014, 11:42 PM
None of the posts over the last few hours had anything to do with Tempe projects.

They've been moved to the General Phoenix Discussion Thread.

nickw252
Nov 22, 2014, 7:38 PM
State Farm Sign

http://i59.tinypic.com/9sxhlx.jpg

Hayden Ferry is up to 3 floors

http://i62.tinypic.com/2hdun2u.jpg

PHXFlyer11
Nov 26, 2014, 3:23 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2014/11/26/tempe-restaurateur-pedal-haus-mill-avenue/70106868/

Really GREAT to see what part of Mill coming back to life! I think West 6 really provided the spark with all those residence who would prefer to walk to get food. The project next door should only increase that demand.

Hot N Juicy and the new French place across the street seem to both be doing well. I can't speak for that AMC as I haven't been in the area in the evenings for awhile.

For the most part, I don't agree with people who say there are too many restaurants and bars on Mill. However, at this point, I do agree that it would be nice to see some more retail enter the market.

Jjs5056
Nov 26, 2014, 3:34 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2014/11/26/tempe-restaurateur-pedal-haus-mill-avenue/70106868/

Really GREAT to see what part of Mill coming back to life! I think West 6 really provided the spark with all those residence who would prefer to walk to get food. The project next door should only increase that demand.

Hot N Juicy and the new French place across the street seem to both be doing well. I can't speak for that AMC as I haven't been in the area in the evenings for awhile.

For the most part, I don't agree with people who say there are too many restaurants and bars on Mill. However, at this point, I do agree that it would be nice to see some more retail enter the market.

It's nice that there's a variety of bars/restaurants, and not just cheap college kid options. But, in order to be considered a truly urban and walkable downtown, the retail mix does need to diversify; there's no place to buy groceries, housewares, or even a gym, somewhere for dry cleaning/laundromat AFAIK. The clothing choices are also minimal. I wish the plaza on Ash/University was a bit more pedestrian-oriented, because it has some great places (music store, Buffalo Exchange, Cartel), but is pretty hidden. Will be interesting to see what happens at the former Mosaic site - obviously, it's going to be much shorter than desired, but I wonder if all of the retail space will be dedicated to the Whole Foods or if there will be room for some additional tenants. I think the new Encore/Residences on Farmer has ground level space, as well. So, plenty of chances to start filling in the holes.

I would like to see retail/restaurants over at the Marriott Residence Inn. That would help tie College to the Tempe Transportation Center to the Municipal Garage and to the rest of 6th onto Mill.

With the Centerpoint area finally coming back to life, I wonder if Mill/7th is the next big proposal we'll see? I almost hope it sits empty until the next boom, unless it's on the same scale as something like Mill/Rio. That lot is a prime assemblage and should really have a pretty dense and tall development that can be stepped back from Mill a bit. I think it's the perfect spot for a gym, for example.

PHXFlyer11
Nov 26, 2014, 11:18 PM
Developer chosen for Hayden Mill:
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2014/11/26/tempe-names-developer-for-hayden-flour-mill.html

Looks like the mill will have a hotel addition. No renderings yet, but my wishes for the project include:

Complete preservation of all existing structures
8 Story hotel
Ground floor retail
A few luxury condos are probably too much to ask for, but we can dream

Unlike Phoenix, I have complete faith in COT that this project will kick ass! I really have to give Tempe credit, they are going all out for every opportunity.

I hope it continues to snowball for them as new residents, employees and visitors arrive to all the new underconstruction/planned apartments, offices and hotels!

PHXFlyer11
Nov 26, 2014, 11:36 PM
Developer chosen for Hayden Mill:
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2014/11/26/tempe-names-developer-for-hayden-flour-mill.html

Looks like the mill will have a hotel addition. No renderings yet, but my wishes for the project include:

Complete preservation of all existing structures
8 Story hotel
Ground floor retail
A few luxury condos are probably too much to ask for, but we can dream

Unlike Phoenix, I have complete faith in COT that this project will kick ass! I really have to give Tempe credit, they are going all out for every opportunity.

I hope it continues to snowball for them as new residents, employees and visitors arrive to all the new underconstruction/planned apartments, offices and hotels!

Well, didn't have to wait long. I found the .pdf: http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/cache/1207/orlyquyzsgjhbunzurz52pyy/1895201911262014042758165.PDF

It sounds GREAT! 4,000 seat music venue, restaurants and galleries along with public space and hotel.

Unfortunately, no renderings at this point. I almost hope this forces the Marquee to close and that land can be redeveloped. Rio Salado is going to be absolutely gorgeous with the Monti's project, Mill project, street car, Marrio AC Hotel and Marina Heights!

PHXFlyer11
Nov 26, 2014, 11:47 PM
One additional thought, because this city continues to amaze me with their aggressiveness.

Every time I walk past City Hall from Sun Devil Stadium towards Mill I can't help but think how low on space Tempe must be. I worked there nearly 8 years ago and they were at capacity at that point for city offices.

I doubt they would kill their upside down pyramid, but how about RFQing the city owed parking lot just to the West between City Hall and Hooters/Gringo Star?

They could get a nice 15-18 story tower that houses both city offices and allows the developer to lease out the rest of the office space, with the city getting preference for future expansion needs?

Jjs5056
Nov 27, 2014, 4:07 AM
One additional thought, because this city continues to amaze me with their aggressiveness.

Every time I walk past City Hall from Sun Devil Stadium towards Mill I can't help but think how low on space Tempe must be. I worked there nearly 8 years ago and they were at capacity at that point for city offices.

I doubt they would kill their upside down pyramid, but how about RFQing the city owed parking lot just to the West between City Hall and Hooters/Gringo Star?

They could get a nice 15-18 story tower that houses both city offices and allows the developer to lease out the rest of the office space, with the city getting preference for future expansion needs?

I think 15-18 stories is a little ambitious for that parking lot, but I have definitely eyed that lot and thought it would make for a nice infill project at some point. With the municipal garage and plaza right there, an office project would make sense, but I think I would prefer lofts or apartments just because of the prime location and need for more market rate residential in the core. It's too bad the garage wasn't built to accomodate an additional tower either above or adjacent to it.

I'd prefer any additional City offices to be part of a mixed use transit project on the land that currently houses the bus depot; nothing too huge, as I think the transportation center is a great piece of architecture, but tall enough to house future City needs with ground level uses that build on the retail at the Marriott and current transit center.

Will have to look more into the Mill project, but it sounds like good stuff. Like we've all mentioned, it was only a matter of time. I like how there are certain nodes developing within the downtown, while keeping it all walkable and unified. The northern part is developing into a much different scene than the southern end, for example. Very exciting. And, while it would be nice for the momentum to carry north of the lake, I wouldn't want to see Marquee redeveloped until some other prime lake lots (like SouthBank and Hayden Harbor) are completed, along with infill lots like Ash/University, Ash/5th and Mill/7th. The First Solar building, in spite of being attached to a light rail stop, was built with a very auto-centric design and I'd rather the focus stay in areas where there is an urban form in place for now. But, one day, I'd love to see dense development all the way to the Papago Park amenities with a streetcar connecting downtown and that area.

I will say I am surprised that Tempe can handle the demand for *3* boutique hotels in that gateway area with the AC Marriott, Kimpton and now the Mill restoration. I hope we don't see a reversion to the boom days where multiple proposals came through and all went bust because the market couldn't support all of the action. The team in place seems pretty solid, even though I'm growing a bit tired of SmithGroup winning every RFP out there; but, as long as the project has additions that help the Mill meet the street and continue to activate the lake region into the greater downtown, I'm sold.

Jjs5056
Nov 27, 2014, 4:15 AM
Well, didn't have to wait long. I found the .pdf: http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/cache/1207/orlyquyzsgjhbunzurz52pyy/1895201911262014042758165.PDF

It sounds GREAT! 4,000 seat music venue, restaurants and galleries along with public space and hotel.

Unfortunately, no renderings at this point. I almost hope this forces the Marquee to close and that land can be redeveloped. Rio Salado is going to be absolutely gorgeous with the Monti's project, Mill project, street car, Marrio AC Hotel and Marina Heights!

Shoot - the PDF is down; any chance you can describe the project a bit more? Were there renderings? Curious if there will be buildout along Mill Avenue.

PHXFlyer11
Nov 27, 2014, 2:48 PM
Shoot - the PDF is down; any chance you can describe the project a bit more? Were there renderings? Curious if there will be buildout along Mill Avenue.

Weird, won't load for me either now. There is no rendering. What they provided was an arial view that shows what different parts of the lot would be used for. The buildings and silos remain, and hotel is sandwiched between them, then a venue of some sort (I think it's an ampatheater) is off towards the north east part of the lot against the butte. There is also restaurant space and some landscaping and turf.

It's amazing that that corner of Rio&Mill will go from pretty dead (unless there is an event at the beach park) to a hub of activity!

I just really hope USAplace isn't dead.

ciweiss
Nov 29, 2014, 12:01 AM
There's a pic of 230 W. 5th in this months AZRE on page 6.

http://azbigmedia.com/azre-magazine/azre-magazine-novemberdecember-2014

PHXFlyer11
Nov 29, 2014, 2:24 AM
There's a pic of 230 W. 5th in this months AZRE on page 6.

http://azbigmedia.com/azre-magazine/azre-magazine-novemberdecember-2014

Thanks for sharing, this looks like a new rendering. I was hoping this wasn't dead, but they pulled it from the DRC agenda and it has yet to come back on.

The sign for the hearing is still up on the property though.

ASU Diablo
Nov 30, 2014, 7:38 PM
Nice read and update on the Tempe eyesore/junkyard by the tracks. Hopefully this case gets resolved soon and Supreme Court decides not to hear the case. That is one prime piece of land to redevelop.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2014/11/29/historic-junkyard-adobe-tempe/19687355/

PHXFlyer11
Nov 30, 2014, 10:40 PM
Nice read and update on the Tempe eyesore/junkyard by the tracks. Hopefully this case gets resolved soon and Supreme Court decides not to hear the case. That is one prime piece of land to redevelop.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2014/11/29/historic-junkyard-adobe-tempe/19687355/

Very interesting, it looks like this will come to an end soon. If the state prevails in this lawsuit, then the state would own half the lot and Tempe the other half. Hopefully the state then sells their half to the city and the city RFPs out that land.

Jjs5056
Dec 1, 2014, 4:47 PM
As predicted, the development adjacent to TMP is going to be pretty lame. It would've been hard to develop this in any truly urban form, but it would've been nice to see more of a Kierland/Scottsdale Quarter type of approach than the typical suburban strip mall effort.

Phase 1 includes two, 4-story hotels: Homewood Suites and Garden Inn by Hilton. Typical earthtone stuccos. Blech.

http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/cache/1207/gfr0vi3pwukpltz1k5zegznj/1895203912012014094437326.PDF

azsunsurfer
Dec 1, 2014, 5:17 PM
I think it's an appropriate use for that parcel given the context of the site (the interchange, the industrial properties and the suburban TMP). Much needed amenities for this part of Tempe.

Jjs5056
Dec 1, 2014, 5:24 PM
I think it's an appropriate use for that parcel given the context of the site (the interchange, the industrial properties and the suburban TMP). Much needed amenities for this part of Tempe.

I agree that the use is fine; but the site plan and materials are pretty lame. Again, it was obviously not going to be an urban mecca, but given that there are at least partially serious talks of a streetcar running down Rio one day, I just would've liked to see more of a pedestrian approach once inside the development (parking lots behind the buildings, or use of garages... the office uses over the retail, etc.). At the very least, something really contemporary to contrast TMP would've been neat architecturally.

What's proposed is nowhere near unexpected, though.

DevilsRider
Dec 1, 2014, 6:01 PM
Yep. Hotel and office add some good variety to the existing, but the site plan is terrible. Looking at the elevations, it seems that there's quite a height disparity between Rio Salado and the property where the hotel would be built. That would make it more challenging to front Rio Salado, and given the location near a the freeway and away from Tempe's more urban core, it's not surprising they didn't put effort and $ into a street-fronting approach.

I am kind of surprised/annoyed, though, that there seems to be a wall and culdesac completely isolating this development from the existing Tempe Marketplace and from the rest of the undeveloped parcels. God forbid your hotel patrons or office workers might want to walk over for movies/shopping/food. Would be nice to see two or three pedestrian punch-outs in those walls so that people don't have to jump into their cars or double their walking distance. It would be under a half mile to walk to the Chipotle-area entrance to the TMP shop area if there was a ped punchout by the southern hotel, but much longer to get there by being forced to walk down to Rio Salado and back around. Not to mention then having to deal with all the car wash traffic and drivers entering the marketplace. At least with a punch-out, there would be less traffic to dodge and a much quicker walk in.

Oh, well. We're clearly not the target market for these hotels/offices. It's just a bummer to see them basically copying Mesa Riverview's suburban design instead of trying to make a better, more "Tempe" final product.

I agree that the use is fine; but the site plan and materials are pretty lame. Again, it was obviously not going to be an urban mecca, but given that there are at least partially serious talks of a streetcar running down Rio one day, I just would've liked to see more of a pedestrian approach once inside the development (parking lots behind the buildings, or use of garages... the office uses over the retail, etc.). At the very least, something really contemporary to contrast TMP would've been neat architecturally.

What's proposed is nowhere near unexpected, though.

PHXFlyer11
Dec 1, 2014, 11:18 PM
Here is the site plan for the project I was talking about on Wednesday of last week: http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2014/12/01/exclusive-tempe-hayden-flour-mill-to-be-hotel.html

Nothing really new here that isn't already in the City Council Agenda documents, so I'm not sure why this is "EXCLUSIVE!" Maybe because they apparently talked to council members who weren't willing to go on record?!

Anyhow, very excited for this. Hotel can't be very large. Can't wait to see actual renderings.

Spitfiredude
Dec 2, 2014, 8:18 AM
That site at 1st St & Farmer is trash. That guy holding onto that piece of crap property is a tool. He needs to give up finally. Streetcar is taking forever.

USA Place looks like it has submitted development plan review on 11/25/2014, if you look at the "check project status" in Tempe city site.

Both the Farmer Ave development (south of Encore) and one on 6th St just west of Farmer are well under way. The one south of Encore is almost at full height.

HFL 3 is around the 5th story, looks like one more building needs to start for Marina Heights, while site movement is well at SALT.

Hanover is completed as far as structural, should see facade going up soon. Same with 1010 E Lemon.

Culinary to open this week, couple of random new places around Mill. Work has yet to begin on Whiskey Row. Vintage has closed to re-concept.

I believe we will see the development at 230 W 5th Street happen in the next 3-6 years. There is a demand for high rise rentals. Hopefully the Mill, South Bank, USA Place, AC Hotel, Town Lake Residential, and Monti's are all projects we see get under way in 2015. I believe at least half of them will happen, especially Monti's and the AC Hotel.

TempeSilverFox
Dec 2, 2014, 1:10 PM
Here is a link that shows the site plan for Hayden Flour Mill! Looks really cool! What an awesome use for that land!

Article Link: http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2014/12/01/exclusive-tempe-hayden-flour-mill-to-be-hotel.html

Jjs5056
Dec 2, 2014, 3:09 PM
Yea, that's a great example of a true mixed use development. I can't believe how many uses are being programmed onto the land, and it's going to be active 24/7 between the hotel, dining and events.

For those who have seen the finished structure of Hanover, how does it look? Where exactly is the entrance?

MegaBass
Dec 2, 2014, 4:20 PM
Here is the site plan for the project I was talking about on Wednesday of last week: http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2014/12/01/exclusive-tempe-hayden-flour-mill-to-be-hotel.html

Nothing really new here that isn't already in the City Council Agenda documents, so I'm not sure why this is "EXCLUSIVE!" Maybe because they apparently talked to council members who weren't willing to go on record?!

Anyhow, very excited for this. Hotel can't be very large. Can't wait to see actual renderings.

http://media.bizj.us/view/img/4508731/aerial-looking-south-east-night*600xx2975-1983-32-0.jpg

http://media.bizj.us/view/img/4508741/aerial-looking-northeast-2*600xx3240-2160-300-0.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: Tempe Hayden Flour Mill to be hotel, outdoor theater and dining center (http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2014/12/02/how-tempe-hayden-flour-mill-will-look-as-hotel.html?page=all)

Envisioned in renderings provided first to the Phoenix Business Journal, the team is proposing an adaptive reuse – taking the original historic structures and adapting the four-story office building and 12-story grain silos to a new use. The towering silos will be redeveloped into an Aparium Hotel. The Hayden Flour Mills hotel, if developed in the same vein as other Baum and Aparium lodging properties, with luxury rooms situated into the former silos. The four story office building fronting Mill Avenue will turn into a restaurant and retail venue with hotel amenities and a rooftop lounge overlooking the Town Lake park and Mill Avenue. A new structure will link the two buildings serving as the hotel lobby and support center, with a second floor pool deck.
A second new building connects with Rio Salado Parkway and the lake across from Hayden Ferry Lakeside. In addition to providing more restaurant and retail opportunities, it will also be a support building for the 4,000-seat amphitheater that flows up A Mountain with covered permanent and lawn seating. The stage is nestled into the new north building. A second building for ticketing and concessions will adjoin the existing city parking lot on the south side of the mill.

ASU Diablo
Dec 2, 2014, 5:12 PM
Looks awesome! Hopefully all this 24/7 activity nearby will deter future Wildkitty defacement of our beloved "A" Mountain. Wishful thinking :D

HX_Guy
Dec 2, 2014, 6:34 PM
Looks freaking great!

http://s14.postimg.org/6umo9an01/aerial_looking_northeast_2_600xx3240_2160_300_0.jpg

http://s14.postimg.org/ploljghkh/aerial_looking_south_east_night_600xx2975_1983_3.jpg

Spitfiredude
Dec 2, 2014, 6:54 PM
^ Wow! That's gorgeous! Perfect reuse of a historic complex. Well executed. Now if we can get mid-high rise buildings between the Mill and Mission Palms, this area of Mill may become the spot.

JJ, parking garage entrances on south and east sides. Main entrance is on east/northeast side. I believe reading that ground level apartments will have private street entrances though. I could be wrong, so don't quote me.

HooverDam
Dec 2, 2014, 11:52 PM
damn Tempe continues to knock it out of the park.

Jjs5056
Dec 3, 2014, 4:31 AM
^ Wow! That's gorgeous! Perfect reuse of a historic complex. Well executed. Now if we can get mid-high rise buildings between the Mill and Mission Palms, this area of Mill may become the spot.

JJ, parking garage entrances on south and east sides. Main entrance is on east/northeast side. I believe reading that ground level apartments will have private street entrances though. I could be wrong, so don't quote me.

Thanks. Ground level walkups softens the blow quite a bit of it being a one-use structure in the heart of downtown. Definitely one of the ways to integrate a residential-only building in an urban fashion, so I hope that you're right.

Love the Mill renderings; my only, tiny wish was that the building facing Mill Ave was extended a bit to meet the street just a bit more. Hopefully, there will be patios and such that make whatever businesses go in there visible from the street level. Love it.

Tempe_Duck
Dec 3, 2014, 6:14 AM
Culinary to open this week, couple of random new places around Mill. Work has yet to begin on Whiskey Row. Vintage has closed to re-concept.

Do you know when this week?

ASUSunDevil
Dec 3, 2014, 5:06 PM
Do you know when this week?

December 9th - Tuesday

DevilsRider
Dec 3, 2014, 6:58 PM
If I have time this weekend, I'll swing around and try to get some pictures of the stuff going on: Culinary Dropout, Hanover, SkyWater, SALT, Marina Heights, HFL, HUB2, Dorsey/University and Terrace/Lemon, and holy cow there's a lot going on right now...could be a decent sized photo drop. Am I forgetting anything worth taking a picture of?

MegaBass
Dec 3, 2014, 7:10 PM
If I have time this weekend, I'll swing around and try to get some pictures of the stuff going on: Culinary Dropout, Hanover, SkyWater, SALT, Marina Heights, HFL, HUB2, Dorsey/University and Terrace/Lemon, and holy cow there's a lot going on right now...could be a decent sized photo drop. Am I forgetting anything worth taking a picture of?

Art Annex (Postinos and Snooze) at College Avenue, The Graduate Tempe (formerly Twin Palms Hotel and IHOP) and Centerpoint on Mill has changed a lot since I was last there.

Phxguy
Dec 3, 2014, 7:28 PM
Since you'll be close, could you snap a pic of the rest of Farmer Ave with the Encore complexes; want to see how that street is beginning to mold.

PHXFlyer11
Dec 3, 2014, 10:04 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2014/12/03/bob-parsons-buys-tempe-center-next-to-asu-for-29m.html

I think this is good news. He is a smart man and I'm sure in the short term will reap the benefits of the leases on the property. However, in the long term I think he envisions redeveloping that key property on University and Rural into something really awesome. Especially since it already has some solid retail and Improv.

I wish somebody with a long term vision would but the other two corner lots on the SWC and SEC. That will be a key intersection for development in 5-10 years and much of the available lots between Rural and Mill are fully developed.

rocksteady
Dec 3, 2014, 10:42 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2014/12/03/bob-parsons-buys-tempe-center-next-to-asu-for-29m.html

I think this is good news. He is a smart man and I'm sure in the short term will reap the benefits of the leases on the property. However, in the long term I think he envisions redeveloping that key property on University and Rural into something really awesome. Especially since it already has some solid retail and Improv.

I wish somebody with a long term vision would but the other two corner lots on the SWC and SEC. That will be a key intersection for development in 5-10 years and much of the available lots between Rural and Mill are fully developed. Hopefully he does something cool with it! I always wished that corner was flipped inside out so the stores faced outwards towards the street.

TempeSilverFox
Dec 4, 2014, 1:14 AM
I just stopped by Culinary Dropout/ The Yard Tempe and it is REALLY COOL! They let me in and showed me all around. The space is HUGE!!!! That building is WAY bigger than it appears from the outside!
And yes!!! There are all the outside games like the one in Phoenix: Corn hole, billiards etc. I'm super excited!
They are doing a soft opening this weekend and their grand opening is on December 9 (I think someone on here already mentioned that...)
Sorry I didn't get any photos but if you can- definitely stop by to see it! I'm so excited it's down the street from my home!!!

Spitfiredude
Dec 4, 2014, 3:28 AM
I expect this place to be very successful. I think with the 4 hotels in planning (AC, USA, Kimpton, and Mill), Hanover, Univ House 2, SALT, Farmer, and various other developments in process, Mill is going to become very popular and crowded in the next 3 years with residents and people here 24-7; not that it already isn't...

rocksteady
Dec 4, 2014, 4:59 AM
I expect this place to be very successful. I think with the 4 hotels in planning (AC, USA, Kimpton, and Mill), Hanover, Univ House 2, SALT, Farmer, and various other developments in process, Mill is going to become very popular and crowded in the next 3 years with residents and people here 24-7; not that it already isn't... Can't wait!! Once all of these things are in place I would love to see a few floating bar/restaurant barges around the lake to bring further activity towards the lake. I think that would dramatically change the "feel" of the lake and make it a destination rather than just a water feature.

PHXFlyer11
Dec 4, 2014, 3:49 PM
Can't wait!! Once all of these things are in place I would love to see a few floating bar/restaurant barges around the lake to bring further activity towards the lake. I think that would dramatically change the "feel" of the lake and make it a destination rather than just a water feature.

If I were you, I'd email your suggestion to the city council and mayor. They clearly are on top of their RFPs and I think activity is only going to accelerate under the current regime's watch. I'm sure they'd love the idea and promote it to the economic development team.

rocksteady
Dec 4, 2014, 10:34 PM
If I were you, I'd email your suggestion to the city council and mayor. They clearly are on top of their RFPs and I think activity is only going to accelerate under the current regime's watch. I'm sure they'd love the idea and promote it to the economic development team. Good suggestion. I'm sure the city and people like Sam Fox and the other big restaurant gurus in the city would love to team up for the first Bar/Restaurant barges on the lake.

PHXFlyer11
Dec 4, 2014, 11:12 PM
Good suggestion. I'm sure the city and people like Sam Fox and the other big restaurant gurus in the city would love to team up for the first Bar/Restaurant barges on the lake.

Absolutely. Where would you suggest the first one be located? Marina Heights? Beach Park? Hayden Ferry?

Or maybe if the City/ASU RFP's the corner of Rural and Rio Salado after Marina Heights is complete and the construction offices move off the last remaining parcel.

Personally, I'd suggest Hayden Ferry as the site of the first floating bar/restaurant. Reasons being:

It can be accessed from the Beach Park (via walkway under the bridge)
Draw after work/lunch crowds from the offices at Hayden Ferry and Marina Heights
Draw residents from HFL condos and SALT apartments
Draw visitors from new Marriot AC, Kimpton and Hayden Mill hotel

Additionally, it would be cool to see something at the end of Farmer. I would suggest a floating fitness applicatio (it could tie in with Madison). Yoga and spin could be done in the mornings and evenings (perhaps some shade over the barge for summer). Maybe even do something cool with the bridge where the speed of the spin control the lights on the light rail bridge.

I guess we can dream, but these days dreams are become a reality in Tempe.

EDIT:

Actually, this could get exciting... what if there was an extended dock/barge with Restaurant/bar, garden, fitness/yoga, observation. I don't see it being too difficult logistically and could be absolutely incredible for Tempe. I'd probably place it between Mill and Rural in front of SALT, HFL and Marina Heights.

PHXFlyer11
Dec 4, 2014, 11:32 PM
Okay, so I took the liberty of emailing the economic development team the idea. I immediately got a response within 2 minutes:

"Thank you! I love the creative thinking and really appreciate you reaching out.

I will give it some thought and share with the team."

rocksteady
Dec 5, 2014, 12:33 AM
Absolutely. Where would you suggest the first one be located? Marina Heights? Beach Park? Hayden Ferry?

Or maybe if the City/ASU RFP's the corner of Rural and Rio Salado after Marina Heights is complete and the construction offices move off the last remaining parcel.

Personally, I'd suggest Hayden Ferry as the site of the first floating bar/restaurant. Reasons being:

It can be accessed from the Beach Park (via walkway under the bridge)
Draw after work/lunch crowds from the offices at Hayden Ferry and Marina Heights
Draw residents from HFL condos and SALT apartments
Draw visitors from new Marriot AC, Kimpton and Hayden Mill hotel

Additionally, it would be cool to see something at the end of Farmer. I would suggest a floating fitness applicatio (it could tie in with Madison). Yoga and spin could be done in the mornings and evenings (perhaps some shade over the barge for summer). Maybe even do something cool with the bridge where the speed of the spin control the lights on the light rail bridge.

I guess we can dream, but these days dreams are become a reality in Tempe.

EDIT:

Actually, this could get exciting... what if there was an extended dock/barge with Restaurant/bar, garden, fitness/yoga, observation. I don't see it being too difficult logistically and could be absolutely incredible for Tempe. I'd probably place it between Mill and Rural in front of SALT, HFL and Marina Heights.

Love these ideas! Those 3 locations are actually the exact ones I had in mind. In fact, I would love to see something at all 3 locations some day to provide some diversity and competition and allow people to hop around to different locations on the lake. How cool would it be to have a small taxi boat going back and forth to each one- Bar hopping on the the water? Then, eventually more over on the north shore once that side gets developed. The benefits are endless, and they would always be packed on game days, holidays, events, good weather. Even in the hot summer it seems like people would like the idea of sitting out on the lake with a nice cold cocktail- provided there is shade and misters to enjoy the summer sunsets. For those 3 barge locations I envisioned two of them being bar/restaurants and the third serving cocktails only for those that just want to drink/pre-drink before or after dinner or going out to party on Mill Ave. For the restaurants, I see one being cajun/New orleans style and the other a more modern Fox style place.

I didn't even thing about an extended barge for exercise! That would be fabulous and very unique to the area. I could see these doing really well near the residential areas of the lake.

Thanks for emailing them the idea! I hope they really consider it and see the possibilities! These folks seem to take these ideas to heart much more than the idiots in Phoenix! Time finally get some real use out of this lake now that the investment is starting to show.

PHXFlyer11
Dec 5, 2014, 12:46 AM
Love these ideas! Those 3 locations are actually the exact ones I had in mind. In fact, I would love to see something at all 3 locations some day to provide some diversity and competition and allow people to hop around to different locations on the lake. How cool would it be to have a small taxi boat going back and forth to each one- Bar hopping on the the water? Then, eventually more over on the north shore once that side gets developed. The benefits are endless, and they would always be packed on game days, holidays, events, good weather. Even in the hot summer it seems like people would like the idea of sitting out on the lake with a nice cold cocktail- provided there is shade and misters to enjoy the summer sunsets. For those 3 barge locations I envisioned two of them being bar/restaurants and the third serving cocktails only for those that just want to drink/pre-drink before or after dinner or going out to party on Mill Ave. For the restaurants, I see one being cajun/New orleans style and the other a more modern Fox style place.

I didn't even thing about an extended barge for exercise! That would be fabulous and very unique to the area. I could see these doing really well near the residential areas of the lake.

Thanks for emailing them the idea! I hope they really consider it and see the possibilities! These folks seem to take these ideas to heart much more than the idiots in Phoenix! Time finally get some real use out of this lake now that the investment is starting to show.

I would encourage you to email the city as well. Pretty easy to find on the their web site.

If anything, I think we should maybe clarify. I used the word barge as you had. But I think we my be misrepresenting the idea. Barge by some may be interpreted to be floating away from the bank, as in the middle of the lake. That is probably not feasible. I think what we mean is a dock or floating dock. Pier is probably a more appealing word and concept. Hayden Pier perhaps?

Although, I don't see a pier extending into the lake north to south, I think it is more of a dock or docked barge, that is parallel to the south shore, but Pier is the sexy word.

Right now what's missing is a true connection to the water. Aside from those who boat, as a pedestrian I really feel far from the water due to the hugh concrete barriers. A dock or pier could float and makes you actually feel like you're on the water.

I also thought a Hayden Ferry's Wheel would but fun. But I'm not so sure it could pulled off without looking tacky. If so, the beach park would be the right place for that I feel.

rocksteady
Dec 5, 2014, 12:59 AM
I would encourage you to email the city as well. Pretty easy to find on the their web site.

If anything, I think we should maybe clarify. I used the word barge as you had. But I think we my be misrepresenting the idea. Barge by some may be interpreted to be floating away from the bank, as in the middle of the lake. That is probably not feasible. I think what we mean is a dock or floating dock. Pier is probably a more appealing word and concept. Hayden Pier perhaps?

Although, I don't see a pier extending into the lake north to south, I think it is more of a dock or docked barge, that is parallel to the south shore, but Pier is the sexy word.

Right now what's missing is a true connection to the water. Aside from those who boat, as a pedestrian I really feel far from the water due to the hugh concrete barriers. A dock or pier could float and makes you actually feel like you're on the water.

I also thought a Hayden Ferry's Wheel would but fun. But I'm not so sure it could pulled off without looking tacky. If so, the beach park would be the right place for that I feel. I think a dock/pier would work fine in various parts of the lake, particularly for exercise, viewing the lake, fishing... and I love the name "Hayden Pier"... but I was thinking for the restaurants and bars something even more unique. Like a real boat/barge that is permanently docked. New York has an awesome boat bar/restaurant called The Frying Pan- link to image below. Something instantly recognizable and different. "Wait, there are open air boats in Phoenix/Tempe with restaurants and bars on them!?" Tourists would instantly want to go check it out and locals would love having something unique and different to go to.

http://images.nymag.com/listings/bar/1TheFryingPan.jpg

Night time image with a smaller ferry boat next to it packed with people- which would be awesome to shuttle them off to another bar/boat destination.

http://internsnthecity.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/frying-pan.jpg

PHXFlyer11
Dec 5, 2014, 1:05 AM
More good news... The Squatter at 1st and Farmer's days seem numbered. The Supreme Court of AZ refused to hear the case today. This means the state is free to take their half the land. The city now promises to pursue legal action against the squatter under the same grounds to take their portion.

Phxguy
Dec 5, 2014, 1:14 AM
I love all these ideas not only because their fantastic but also because the people in Tempe City hall are actually making them feasible. This all isn't a pipe dream anymore. It would like to see:
-A fish and chip or seafood restaurant with a patio fronting the lake on the North side.
-Maybe a clock tower ( doesn't have to be Big Ben, but something that looks cool and could have a ball drop for New Years). North side.
-A museum (Papago Park museum, Rio Salado history and small aquarium)
- more interactive displays in Beach Park (ie floor piano)

-This one is a real pipe dream but what if Tempe and Scottsdale agreed to put the freeway underground and seamlessly reconnect Papago Park to the lake?

rocksteady
Dec 5, 2014, 1:30 AM
I love all these ideas not only because their fantastic but also because the people in Tempe City hall are actually making them feasible. This all isn't a pipe dream anymore. It would like to see:
-A fish and chip or seafood restaurant with a patio fronting the lake on the North side.
-Maybe a clock tower ( doesn't have to be Big Ben, but something that looks cool and could have a ball drop for New Years). North side.

-This one is a real pipe dream but what if Tempe and Scottsdale agreed to put the freeway underground and seamlessly reconnect Papago Park to the lake?

Haha I have thought about this before and while it would never happen it is fun to entertain the possibilities. Talk about what a huge change this would create connecting Tempe, the Lake, and Papago. It all seems so cut off by that freeway that connecting the two best regions in the metro area would create a single "region" all in its own. You'd have your urban, water, and nature features flowing from one to the other. Talk about "Work, Live, Play". This would allow them the opportunity to get rid of those ugly eye-sore power lines for a nice unobstructed view.

PHXFlyer11
Dec 5, 2014, 1:38 AM

I'd settle for then burrying the power lines! Haha

I really do love driving East on the 202 though and reaching the bend just before Priest. That freeway provides the best view of Downtown Tempe. I do agree we'd see more action to the North though if the 202 wasn't such a huge physical barrier. I think the North side will pick up after the South shore is more fully developed.

PHXFlyer11
Dec 5, 2014, 1:44 AM
I like your piano idea. I could see that by the arts center. Perhaps it could control the lights on the light rail bridge or pedestrian bridge and could even play sound based on time of day (no sounds after 11pm).

I think a water feature would be awesome than ran parallel to the light rail bridge. It could be programmed to run shows, or simply fire a series of fountains from right to left and left to right as trains pass across the bridge in either direction. Probably an expensive proposition.

Jjs5056
Dec 5, 2014, 5:30 AM
There was at one point plans to build a bigger, mixed use marina during the boom days. If "the residences on town lake" gets built adjacent to the existing marina, I'd love to see a pier with a restaurant just off the shore; the developer included retail spaces within the proposal for the purpose of attracting businesses that complement the boat/shipping/marina industry, so it seems like a pretty good fit for the area.

It's too bad HFL is so inward-facing, but luckily Marina Heights will have retail facing the lake. I'd love to see a ferry that took visitors from one side to the other to eat/shop/hang out. This could also be possible on the other side of the bridge, connecting the residents on the north shore with SouthBank, the Chinese development, and Stadium District depending on how their retail is aligned.

dtnphx
Dec 5, 2014, 10:18 PM
Tempe approves Hayden Flour Mill restoration

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2014/12/05/tempe-approves-hayden-flour-mill-restoration.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2014-12-05&u=34892844144f674e291dd986763848&t=1417817672

DevilsRider
Dec 8, 2014, 3:28 PM
Photo post #1. Many more on the way!

Culinary Dropout/The Yard at Farmer Arts District. I'm a little disappointed by the high wood fencing (though I know they have it at the 7th St location too. It would have been really cool to be able to look out onto downtown Tempe.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7520/15353851434_862ed1cedc.jpg https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8657/15975456822_c712a50aed.jpg https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8604/15975456682_c85c900003.jpg

The Residences on Farmer. If I remember correctly, it's one floor shorter than Encore, but it hardly looks it. I think it scales nicely with the existing building. Not sure if this was planned to go all the way to University, but there's nothing really going on past what you see here. Hanover. They've done a pretty good job wrapping the garage, leaving only the small segment that fronts another garage entry or a valet (I can't remember which) at W6. I did see a garage entrance off of Maple, too, but it seemed to be inconspicuous. I couldn't really tell b/c of the arts festival blocking it. For the most part, you won't be able to tell a garage is there. Skywater/Argo (across from TCA). Somehow, they still haven't finished construction on this guy, but I think they've started moving people in on the east side. It looks pretty good (the fins/sails turned out odd-looking though) and seems like a very dense development.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7526/15950360716_a56486fbef.jpg https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8585/15790393357_b12b5e35c1.jpg https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7536/15353850944_e86c148818.jpg

DevilsRider
Dec 8, 2014, 3:37 PM
Photo post #2.

HF3 and SALT/The Lofts. HF3 is coming along well. Up to the floorplate for floor 5. I like how they pulled back slightly at the corner (it looks like there will be an antenna or something projecting up through the corner near the top, but at the floor, there's room for a nice entry plaza or wide sidewalk corner. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that piece of blue looks like it could be the base for a tower crane at SALT? It looks like A&P is doing the project; if anyone finds a construction cam, please share!
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8619/15975457072_c50c975dee.jpg https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7558/15790113649_111bf51d9c.jpg https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8599/15790393717_aa292f33ea.jpg

Marina Heights. The big one. These look really neat from the ground (the cuts almost make it appear like a piece of the building is floating on air. All the buildings have started going vertical (though only barely for the easternmost). They really hug Rio Salado, and I think they'll look real good from ground level when it's all said and done.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7512/15975457502_a4f4300672.jpg https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8624/15974140941_2ecd5c7c85.jpg https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7579/15788829040_83f84f416f.jpg https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7488/15950361456_98a5c3445a.jpg https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7531/15950361596_d106b4fda4.jpg https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7496/15788829450_39c342f1dc.jpg https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7567/15790114679_1c4fc0fb76.jpg

DevilsRider
Dec 8, 2014, 3:45 PM
Photo post #3.

University House Phase 2. For some reason, I thought the expansion would be a few stories shorter than the original. This is definitely not the case. Despite the horrendous paint job and the inconsistent balcony distribution on the original (likely to be matched on the new one), the density brought by these buildings is incredible. And as you'll see a little further down, the view from Postino (and probably from the ASU building across the way) is made more urban because of this addition.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7504/15788737708_60602048cc.jpg https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8664/15790115119_5bc117074f.jpg

Postino and Snooze (The Annex). Okay, so Snooze hasn't opened yet, but it looks like the patio space will be similar. Very lush and green! I think this is one of the most impressive, well thought developments I've seen in Tempe. Sitting outdoors in Postino, you absolutely can't tell you're in a auto-oriented desert suburb city. It's just so enjoyable.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8624/15790394687_63fe46907b.jpg https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7509/15950362296_6213172bac.jpg https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8670/15790618887_24000631cd.jpg

PHXFlyer11
Dec 8, 2014, 3:49 PM
Thanks for all the pictures! I would think that SALT would use a tower crane to speed efficiency in what is a pretty dense, confined space.

I really hope to see USAplace start in January. I thought it was supposed to be Dec, but the last article i could find said it would be a early 2015 groundbreaking. Tempe really needs the diversity that projects like StateFarm and USAplace bring. High income jobs and luxury hotel rooms.

I wonder what the next major project that we see announced will be...

DevilsRider
Dec 8, 2014, 3:54 PM
Photo post #4. This is the last one for Tempe. I took a couple pics of the hotel at Riverview; those will go in the Southeast Developments thread.

The Graduate/Normal Diner. I was having a really tough time getting photos of this one with the lighting. It definitely looks college-y and kind of retro, but I like it. Normal Diner doesn't seem to have signage, and it looks like there is a bar in the hotel being advertised as well. Terrace/Lemon. Wow, the street presence at the corner is AWESOME. Another fairly dense development. It appears, too, that they're going to at least partially wrap the garage.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7512/15790392837_0a3d7ec01c.jpg https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7567/15975458712_59f55cbbf8.jpg https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7493/15353853354_99dffcf399.jpg

AltaTempe (University/Dorsey) and The Mission @ Minder Binder. Alta is much larger than I realized from the renderings. I mean, look at the space it takes up. I sort of wish that they had built a garage and wrapped the back-area units around it instead of doing a surface lot and ground-floor individual unit garages (which is what it appears to be). I imagine, though, that the financials of that just didn't make sense given the location. The frontage on University AND Dorsey both look good, though. Personally, I'm not a fan of how The Mission looks, but it is definitely true to its southwest roots, and looks much better than what was there before.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7518/15790115589_e3cd095aaf.jpg https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7563/15788738478_6758e0b940.jpg https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7508/15788830630_867059322e.jpg

Jjs5056
Dec 8, 2014, 4:04 PM
Thank you so much!

Some thoughts:
1) The Yard: the high fencing is a disappointment, as is the fact that it looks like most of the entrances are facing the parking lot; ruins any chance of future development hugging up against it, though I know we are a ways off. Also looks like they chopped off a pretty good portion of the building to create the lot (am I right that there is another huge lot on the north side, as well?); I wish they had found a way to incorporate it and/or add another business or two. Lastly, I hope that they aren't complete with the landscaping -- from your last photo, their portion of the University > Lakefront pedestrian path looks really weak.

Overall, great development for downtown, but just a couple minor design flaws from making it perfect.

2) Residences on Farmer: Perhaps the reason the height is nearly identical is that the ground level will feature retail whereas Encore was one-use? Just a guess. Looks nice, but hopefully the facade differentiates it just a bit so it isn't identical. It isn't meant to go all the way to University; is there enough room left for another development do you think? I would hope the lots were divided properly to ensure something else can be built; IIRC, the corner was where a mixed use project incorporating a library branch was to go.

3) Hanover - glad to see the garage has been covered up so well. I'll always be disappointed in the design, height, and lack of retail facing W6 and/or 5th, though. Did you notice if there were indeed walkups to the ground level units? That would be its only saving grace.

4) Marina Heights - looks freakin' awesome! I wish ALL lakefront development was done so well. Such a great plan with the buildings hugging Rio and the retail plazas out on the lakefront. Hopefully, the glass doesn't end up looking dated, but right now, it looks pretty cool IMO.

5) ARGO/Skywater - It's too bad ownership changed hands halfway through. I have a feeling that is to blame for the timing issues and the design changes. The fins look terrible... I hated them in the rendering and thought they were cheesy, but I was expecting at least for them to be glass/a contrasting material. There were also cool plans for a coffee shop, food truck court, and bike shop facing Rio Salado - I think they were all scrapped. :( The entire thing looks really cheap.

6) Alta Tempe - Agreed that a garage wrapped by apartments would be better than the giant surface lot. Tempe and Phoenix both approve a ton of projects with designs similar to this, and I think they are a big miss for the long-term. It isn't unreasonable to think TOD could spread as far east as McClintock on University at some point. This development sacrifices a ton of principles and aside from the density and street presence, isn't really urban at all. It's essentially a superblock as there isn't any retail or walk-up units, and the huge lot and individual garages still encourage auto usage. Not a big deal for now, but I think there should be a higher standard when you see what other developments are showing is capable.

7) Lemon/Terrace - I love the presence of this project, as well as the smart use of the ground level. There will be space dedicated to classrooms/learning, as well as 1 or 2 retail spaces along the corner. It shows you don't need to have the entire floor covered in retail to integrate into a neighborhood. Place retail at prominent locations where there is a need, and find creative uses for the rest that make sense with the community, whether it's gallery space, classrooms, or even just walk-up units in purely residential areas.

8) College Ave - The Hub 2 actually has a MUCH better design due to the new ownership. I think it will look much less mismatched than the original when complete, which is why I'm glad it's so tall; it will cover the original monstrosity from at least some perspectives. Hopefully, the density will drive more of a retail presence in the vacant spaces within the area (at Hub, The Residence Inn and Municipal Garage). The Annex looks AWESOME. Someone mentioned that the retail across the street (bookstore/Subway building) was busy, too, so I don't think it should be redeveloped. But, I do hope they at least update its look a bit and get inspired by the lush patios demonstrated here. How does the paving from 7th - 6th look, as well as the courtyard next to College Commons?

PHXFlyer11
Dec 8, 2014, 4:21 PM
Thank you so much!

Some thoughts:
1) The Yard: the high fencing is a disappointment, as is the fact that it looks like most of the entrances are facing the parking lot; ruins any chance of future development hugging up against it, though I know we are a ways off. Also looks like they chopped off a pretty good portion of the building to create the lot (am I right that there is another huge lot on the north side, as well?); I wish they had found a way to incorporate it and/or add another business or two. Lastly, I hope that they aren't complete with the landscaping -- from your last photo, their portion of the University > Lakefront pedestrian path looks really weak.

Overall, great development for downtown, but just a couple minor design flaws from making it perfect.

I am also hoping that lot is eventually developed rather than being surface parking. It would be awesome to have a 5-6 story condo project there with ground level retail.

Jjs5056
Dec 8, 2014, 4:38 PM
Thanks for all the pictures! I would think that SALT would use a tower crane to speed efficiency in what is a pretty dense, confined space.

I really hope to see USAplace start in January. I thought it was supposed to be Dec, but the last article i could find said it would be a early 2015 groundbreaking. Tempe really needs the diversity that projects like StateFarm and USAplace bring. High income jobs and luxury hotel rooms.

I wonder what the next major project that we see announced will be...

USAPlace will happen. We'll get at least the hotel and HQ/event space out of it. There are too many parties involved, who have been wanting this to happen for so long, for it to fall apart, IMO. As I've mentioned, the only part I can see being chopped is the 'neighborhood.' IOW, there may not be a market for the residential, retail, and office space lining the interior streets. That'll be disappointing, as it's a great model I wish would set an example for future developments, but having USA Basketball in town is a huge win, as is the events/hotel that will bring additional tourism and jobs.

I don't know how many luxury hotel rooms are actually needed. I am surprised that 3 are on the table as is: Omni, Kimpton and AC Marriott. Tempe is booming, but it's still maturing and as excited as we get, there really isn't a huge downtown presence. I hope the demand is there, as all 3 are important lots and would signal a change in Tempe's dynamics overall IMO. But, I wouldn't be surprised if only the Omni and Marriott come through. Something about Rio/Mill seems pie-in-the-sky.

I think the next development to be announced will be the old University Square and M7 lots. University Square is actually on Tempe's development list as preliminary, but I can't find that document right now. Meanwhile, M7 is the last remaining piece of available Mill Ave frontage not in the proposal stage right now (since The Palms technically owns their own parking lot). They'd also fit in well with the momentum right now building in connecting Mill to College. I'm glad Rio/Mill has been announced, as even if it never happens, it's at least shown that there is a market in Tempe for building tall. Both University Square and M7 should have fairly high projects.

I hope in the meantime, some infill projects are announced in the Farmer/Ash and College Ave areas. There is so much buzz and positive momentum in developing both that I hope now is the time we see the slew of empty lots filled in. It would be really great to see the City move forward with the library on Farmer/University which would provide a neighborhood asset and also complete Farmer from Uni all the way to 6th. I also hope the completion of Block 12 becomes a priority for ASU or that they sell off the remaining parcel to a private developer, so that additional an additional tall and dense development can be built so close to College.

DevilsRider
Dec 8, 2014, 4:44 PM
There is a huge lot south of the Yard, but on the north side, the building basically bumps against 1st Street. The lot to the south is definitely prime for redevelopment. For the Residences, it appears the building only goes to just south of 7th Street, leaving a LOT of room for additional building. I couldn't really tell about walkups in Hanover; the arts festival was blocking the entire building's first floor!

The courtyard on College looks pretty nice, though it appears that people will just bake there during the summer. The paving's okay, but I'm most excited about the wider pedestrian space and the legalized "cross wherever you want to on this block" for peds.

Thank you so much!

Some thoughts:

2) Residences on Farmer: Perhaps the reason the height is nearly identical is that the ground level will feature retail whereas Encore was one-use? Just a guess. Looks nice, but hopefully the facade differentiates it just a bit so it isn't identical. It isn't meant to go all the way to University; is there enough room left for another development do you think? I would hope the lots were divided properly to ensure something else can be built; IIRC, the corner was where a mixed use project incorporating a library branch was to go.

3) Hanover - glad to see the garage has been covered up so well. I'll always be disappointed in the design, height, and lack of retail facing W6 and/or 5th, though. Did you notice if there were indeed walkups to the ground level units? That would be its only saving grace.

4) Marina Heights - looks freakin' awesome! I wish ALL lakefront development was done so well. Such a great plan with the buildings hugging Rio and the retail plazas out on the lakefront. Hopefully, the glass doesn't end up looking dated, but right now, it looks pretty cool IMO.

5) ARGO/Skywater - It's too bad ownership changed hands halfway through. I have a feeling that is to blame for the timing issues and the design changes. The fins look terrible... I hated them in the rendering and thought they were cheesy, but I was expecting at least for them to be glass/a contrasting material. There were also cool plans for a coffee shop, food truck court, and bike shop facing Rio Salado - I think they were all scrapped. :( The entire thing looks really cheap.

6) Alta Tempe - Agreed that a garage wrapped by apartments would be better than the giant surface lot. Tempe and Phoenix both approve a ton of projects with designs similar to this, and I think they are a big miss for the long-term. It isn't unreasonable to think TOD could spread as far east as McClintock on University at some point. This development sacrifices a ton of principles and aside from the density and street presence, isn't really urban at all. It's essentially a superblock as there isn't any retail or walk-up units, and the huge lot and individual garages still encourage auto usage. Not a big deal for now, but I think there should be a higher standard when you see what other developments are showing is capable.

7) Lemon/Terrace - I love the presence of this project, as well as the smart use of the ground level. There will be space dedicated to classrooms/learning, as well as 1 or 2 retail spaces along the corner. It shows you don't need to have the entire floor covered in retail to integrate into a neighborhood. Place retail at prominent locations where there is a need, and find creative uses for the rest that make sense with the community, whether it's gallery space, classrooms, or even just walk-up units in purely residential areas.

8) College Ave - The Hub 2 actually has a MUCH better design due to the new ownership. I think it will look much less mismatched than the original when complete, which is why I'm glad it's so tall; it will cover the original monstrosity from at least some perspectives. Hopefully, the density will drive more of a retail presence in the vacant spaces within the area (at Hub, The Residence Inn and Municipal Garage). The Annex looks AWESOME. Someone mentioned that the retail across the street (bookstore/Subway building) was busy, too, so I don't think it should be redeveloped. But, I do hope they at least update its look a bit and get inspired by the lush patios demonstrated here. How does the paving from 7th - 6th look, as well as the courtyard next to College Commons?

Jjs5056
Dec 8, 2014, 5:11 PM
There is a huge lot south of the Yard, but on the north side, the building basically bumps against 1st Street. The lot to the south is definitely prime for redevelopment. For the Residences, it appears the building only goes to just south of 7th Street, leaving a LOT of room for additional building. I couldn't really tell about walkups in Hanover; the arts festival was blocking the entire building's first floor!

The courtyard on College looks pretty nice, though it appears that people will just bake there during the summer. The paving's okay, but I'm most excited about the wider pedestrian space and the legalized "cross wherever you want to on this block" for peds.

Thanks again - that's great that it bumps up against 1st; I thought that was where the valet and larger parking lot was. I'm guessing that, instead, that's where the outdoor area and private 'rooms' are? Either way, the parking lot will always remain given that it has the primary entrances for some of the businesses. But, I do hope the lot immediate south is developed soon along with any available land on Farmer. I think the height and uses of existing buildings makes total sense for the area and have seemed to do well, so it would be great to see a mix of 4-story live/work units and townhomes to the south, and ~6 story mixed use market rate apartments north, along with the mixed use library center (~6-8 stories) on the University intersection.

The vision for Farmer has also been a mix of residential uses (low, market rate, and owner-occupied) and retail (neighborhood assets and retail). I think Encore and its partner satisfy the low income needs (even if they are age restricted, too), and there are several owner-occupied developments on the west side. It was also meant as a buffer to higher construction toward Mill, so hopefully heights increase a few stories from those western projects to create the stepped effect.

Lastly, with Tempe's new policies aimed at encouraging adaptive reuse, it would be great to see the single-family homes along the south turned into shops/cafes/etc. It's a shame how dilapidated they've been allowed to become.

PHXFlyer11
Dec 8, 2014, 5:27 PM
USAPlace will happen. We'll get at least the hotel and HQ/event space out of it. There are too many parties involved, who have been wanting this to happen for so long, for it to fall apart, IMO. As I've mentioned, the only part I can see being chopped is the 'neighborhood.' IOW, there may not be a market for the residential, retail, and office space lining the interior streets. That'll be disappointing, as it's a great model I wish would set an example for future developments, but having USA Basketball in town is a huge win, as is the events/hotel that will bring additional tourism and jobs.

I don't know how many luxury hotel rooms are actually needed. I am surprised that 3 are on the table as is: Omni, Kimpton and AC Marriott. Tempe is booming, but it's still maturing and as excited as we get, there really isn't a huge downtown presence. I hope the demand is there, as all 3 are important lots and would signal a change in Tempe's dynamics overall IMO. But, I wouldn't be surprised if only the Omni and Marriott come through. Something about Rio/Mill seems pie-in-the-sky.

I wouldn't see the loss of the residential/office/retail as huge. I actually hope that some of the south portion of the lot is not developed and some additional towers can be built in the future on those lots.

As fro the luxury hotels, I think it's important to note that AC Marriott and the Hayden Mill hotel will be small and more boutique. Kimpton is large, as in the Omni, but I think with USAplace and Marina Heights that helps drive up demand. Also, more of the marathoners/tri-athletes, students parents, bowl game attendees can now stay in the immediate area. I believe the market will be just fine. I really don't think Tempe had enough rooms in the past and lost out to Scottsdale resorts. I continue to see Tempe as more of the destination, rather than a stop along the way.

Spitfiredude
Dec 9, 2014, 7:48 PM
Looks like there is a 150' crane at the site of dam construction. They are currently pouring concrete for foundation. I will take pics soon. The east side dam is nearly completely lowered which makes me wonder why they don't just expand the lake all the way into Mesa to create a reservoir if the west dam can handle this capacity. The water is already filling up the area below the 202 bridge and even east of it. I believe they said the dam would be 100' west of the pedestrian bridge. It looks to me that its more like 150-200' west, so maybe they changed that. Also, I think they said they would lower the bladders in Sept-Oct next year for testing, correct? So we will see the results in less than a year.

I'm moving out of W6 this month (thank god). Management seems they're trying to get their act together, but they're already a failure. My plan is to move to the Lofts on Rio Salado (a tad cheaper) and hopefully move to Hanover once completed in the summer. So hopefully we get an inside view of those apts. Speaking of Hanover, there are ground floor entrances (or at least patios). From what I see, there is an entrance on the south side of building and 2 patios, plus a parking entrance on the west most end of southside. 2 patios on the east side of the building (toward the south end). Parking and lobby entrances on the eastside in the middle. Lobby, amenities and/or possible retail on the eastside north end. Amenities/retail on east end of northside. Several patios and an entrance scattered across the rest of the northside. Several patios on westside north/central end. Maintenance block on the south end of the westside.

I think the hotels will be fine. Ultimately they're not oversized (everything has been sub-300 range), and the residential/office/event development is accompanying the hotel development. Although I would like to see the 230 W 5th St development take off!

alexico
Dec 9, 2014, 10:53 PM
makes me want to move back to tempe now!

combusean
Dec 10, 2014, 6:43 AM
I got a question: what exactly changed in the last few years that warrants a slew of new hotel rooms when Mission Palms and Twin Palms in have barely been able to stay above water in the past?

TempeSilverFox
Dec 10, 2014, 1:32 PM
I got a question: what exactly changed in the last few years that warrants a slew of new hotel rooms when Mission Palms and Twin Palms in have barely been able to stay above water in the past?

I wasn't aware that the Mission Palms had been struggling? Their rates are usually on the higher side and Chase leadership from Delaware regularly stays there or at the Marriott Courtyard on Ash and 5th when they visit.

I've stayed at the new Resident's Inn on 5th and Forrest a couple of times already and the place is always busy.

Perhaps Tempe is seen as having finally got to the magic "tipping point" in terms of its desirability as a tourist destination - not just in the shadow of Scottsdale or PV.
My other thought was that the proposed hotels could also be in response to the growing corporate presence in downtown Tempe- with State Farm on the way and whatever will occupy HFL 3 and the new Monti's high rise. Like Chase, I'm sure many other companies downtown have guests from out of town and where better to house them?

ASU I'm sure is also a big draw for the hotels- what with move in week, graduations, games (fans and visiting teams) etc. And if the new Omni gets built with its convention space, that will be a draw as well (even if it is way smaller than the PHX convention center....)

I dunno, those are my thoughts... :shrug:

Jjs5056
Dec 10, 2014, 2:39 PM
The Omni makes sense and fits a market need; Tempe and ASU have been wanting a hotel with sizeable event/convention space, and with the USA Basketball and other athletic events that will be held year-round at USA Place, there should be adequate demand even if the brand is pretty upscale for that part of downtown.

But, as for the others, Sean essentially echoed my thoughts in a much more succinct way.

It's just a really incredible amount of high-end hotels planned for a still-to-be-tested downtown of only about 1 square mile that already has quite a few lodging opportunities in the area. I mean, downtown Phoenix can't get a single hotel built and it has the convention center, sporting arenas, airport, etc. - if they're all built, downtown Tempe will surpass downtown Phoenix in its number of hotels. That just seems crazy. Omni and Kimpton are pretty upscale, and I imagine the Mill boutique hotel will be, as well. The AC Marriott is a step down I believe, but it all seems very ambitious for a college town. It failed the first time when dozen of hotels were proposed years ago - I hope it doesn't happen again.

I hope that's clear; it isn't that I don't WANT this to happen. I would love to see Tempe move closer and closer to becoming a more diverse city than a college town, and these hotels help in a big way. I just hope the potential demand really is there. HFL and the lake really need a hotel, the Mill project is just too important for the lake > downtown connection, Rio/Mill will bring fun heights and great density to empty lots, and USA Place is the most urban development planned for the Valley.

dtnphx
Dec 10, 2014, 4:35 PM
The main reason hotels are being built now is that hotels are HOT! Investors and banks are tripping over themselves to fund new hotel projects. Just because a market, in this case Tempe, might seem saturated, it's Valleywide events that we have here such as all the car auctions, conventions, the occasional Super Bowl, All-Star games, NCAA stuff, NASCAR, races and events that fill the rooms. Location of course is important, but to host big events, they will scatter attendees where they can.

ASUSunDevil
Dec 12, 2014, 7:10 PM
Looks like Eddie Jones is finally starting construction on his offices just west of The Yard on Wilson. Like the rest of his work, this looks awesome!

http://ww2.tempe.gov/publicbodies/Docs/DevelopmentReviewCommission/SupportingDocuments/DRCr_JonesStudio_082311.pdf

ciweiss
Dec 18, 2014, 4:54 AM
Some interesting news:
Tempe Streetcar
http://raillife.com/2014/12/metro-tempe-streetcar-update/

Tapacubo - restarant
http://azbigmedia.com/experience-az/around-arizona/restarant-opens-tempe

ASU donut shop
http://azbigmedia.com/featured/phx-architecture-designs-asu-donut-shop

Jjs5056
Dec 18, 2014, 5:40 AM
Good to see The Hub/UH continue to fill up its retail.

I'm kind of confused about The Residences on Farmer; the ground level features 4 live-work units - are live/work rentals common? I have only seen them as part of condo developments... it would seem that if you are making the investment to run your business out of your home, you'd want to actually own the space, no? I also wonder how successful they'll be at filling the live/work units with the apartments being senior-only. I wonder what the median age at Encore is?

DevilsRider
Dec 21, 2014, 7:44 PM
So we get an early Christmas present with the return of a SEVENTH crane to the lakefront, this one at SALT. Counting the SALT crane, I managed to get all EIGHT Lake/Downtown cranes in one shot as well (sorry quality's not the best, but they are all there!).

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8657/15886209620_e5c0d1d10c.jpg https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7480/16047687836_3b119a52b2.jpg

It also appears that work may be starting on the site next to the marina on the north side of the lake. At least, they have signs up with a permit number (E142908), and a little heavy machinery on site. Maybe someone more savvy than me can tell us what that permit is authorizing...

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7576/16073490095_bf6276524a.jpg

azsunsurfer
Dec 22, 2014, 2:11 PM
Yes, it's for the PB Bell Apartments that was posted awhile back...5 and 3 story apartment buildings with some ground floor retail and a parking structure.