PDA

View Full Version : Tempe Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117

Jjs5056
Jun 25, 2014, 6:02 PM
Completely agree with this. Young professionals want to live near campus, not on it. Would still like to see the hotel/convention center/athletic facilities/retail (grocery store) happen.

Work has begun on The Palms conversion and they are finally landscaping the parasols next to Gammage.

At this rate, Tempe will finally see the dreaded Ash/University eyesore get a high rise.

I know I mentioned the hotel and HQ as being obvious choices for financing, but the residential is really, really important. If built was planned, this project would've blurred the lines between downtown and the campus, making it a truly urban area with a diverse population. Tempe desperately needs to add 21+ residents to the core as Hanover is really the only luxury rental in the area, as I assume W6 is more than half students. This is especially important as more companies move in, and because of this new height drama.

The design is also important and a trend I wish could catch on - lining small streets with loft-over-retail, which would allow for a much more attractive retail environment than the common, isolated mega-project with no relationship between the residential and retail, nor the retail and neighborhood.

No way will retail happen without the residential. Look at the sports district downtown... a TGI Friday's and Hard Rock are all the tenants they attracted. The hotel and Mill Ave frontage would likely have restaurants/bars, but none of the service/neighborhood retail that's also badly needed downtown.

Lastly, I don't think the location would be an issue. A main street bisects the traditional campus and the development. In a landlocked city, urban living across the street from the back of an architecture school shouldn't be a deal-breaker. :) The excitement the proximity brings definitely outweighs it: streetcar, USA BB, Mill Ave, Gammage, College Ave Commons and Annex, SDS...

...and, yet, this carefully crafted development designed with urban best practices and targeting a much needed demographic with the potential to bring services to the center of a rising city won't get funding, while every 'suburban apartments with no setback and central garage that's taller than the highest residential floor' will.

Have you seen renderings of the Palms/was there an image outside? That was quick!

combusean
Jun 25, 2014, 7:08 PM
The idea that residential living at USA place is "on campus" vs being two blocks "off campus" is a minor technicality that will be overlooked by the vast majority of its potential residents. How many people even know or care about its land leasing arrangements? Anything built in place of that parking lot/tempe center remnant won't look like campus proper, won't be a part of campus proper, wouldn't be 100% students walking to class like the rest of the campus, and won't be subject to ASU regulations in the same way an on-campus residential living would be. If people are looking for a close-to-campus place to live without being in a dorm, this is the closest spot they'll be able to find.

CrestedSaguaro
Jun 26, 2014, 4:29 PM
4th Tower crane going up on the West end of Marina Heights!

I didn't expect one to go up on that spot. Could we see 5 total before they pull the first down? :yes:

DevilsRider
Jun 26, 2014, 8:19 PM
Lincoln Property Co. wants to a build a 350-unit luxury apartment complex called Southbank via two four-story buildings on the site
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2014/06/26/council-to-vote-on-tempe-town-lake-apartment.html

Tempe Development Review Commission shot it down, Council may override and approve. Unless the plans have changed recently, this is really a sad use of that land. But the most interesting part of the article was at the end.

Tempe now controls most of the remaining parcels and has a development RFP out for bid, according to city staff.

If this is true, hopefully it means we'll see much better proposals for the remainder of the development...

[EDIT] The City's website has a bid under review (14-074) for Lease/Purchase and Development of City-owned Land - South Bank of Tempe Town Lake - Pier 202 . So there's that...

MegaBass
Jun 27, 2014, 3:20 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrFFOJvCAAElgK5.jpg

Rendering of the new video board at Phoenix Muni (located in right center) during today's press conference of ASU new baseball coach Tracy Smith h/t ASU Senior Associate Athletics Director Scottie Graham (https://twitter.com/ScottieGraham/status/482242744937496577/photo/1)

RichTempe
Jun 27, 2014, 3:48 AM
4th Tower crane going up on the West end of Marina Heights!

I didn't expect one to go up on that spot. Could we see 5 total before they pull the first down? :yes:

Driving by Tempe today on the 202, I saw a total of 7 tower cranes! 1 for Argo/Skywater, 4 for Marina Heights, 1 for the 2nd tower at the Hub/University House and 1 for the residential development at Lemon & Terrace (can't recall if it has a name yet). HFL3 would make it 8. It's getting crazy! :tup:

azsunsurfer
Jun 27, 2014, 2:44 PM
I know ASU has gone through two building booms (the campus itself) in recent years, however given the fact that they are investing into College Ave and their new "district" I wonder what projects do they have in the works for the campus itself? I know that Del Webs old building was originally to be redeveloped...not sure if that is still the case. I remember seeing the masterplan for the campus a couple of years ago...it was very aggressive including the redevelopment of some of ASU's older buildings.

Jjs5056
Jun 27, 2014, 5:06 PM
Glad to hear Tempe will be taking control of SouthBank; wonder if it will end up in ASU's Stadium District? I would hope they uphold the denial- why box in the new owners?

In terms of ASU: The last version of the master plan, ca. 2011, was pretty scaled back from the previous one from 2006ish. Both are somewhat broad, but the newer of the two had much less integration with the city, which was a major goal stated in 2006; for example, the earlier plan showed areas like Wells Fargo being wrapped in mixed use structures, all of the north campus housing being densified, etc.

The new one seems to focus on replacing obsolete buildings and using that as an opportunity to reorganize the campus with edges and defined malls. Del Webb would be replaced in phases to allow for a green space at Orange/Palm Walk, Orange Mall would be the 'main street' of campus with the bookstore moving to PE West next to an expanded MU. Research buildings would be constructed all along Rural, and Hayden Library would have its entrance brought to surface level. North Campus remains almost the same, with 'TOD' planned for Frat Row.

PV Main, Irish and Hayden would be upgraded, and housing was planned as part of Block 12 and behind the Annex.

Who knows how much these plans have changed... moving the Law School, the boom in student housing, etc.

MegaBass
Jun 27, 2014, 11:30 PM
I know ASU has gone through two building booms (the campus itself) in recent years, however given the fact that they are investing into College Ave and their new "district" I wonder what projects do they have in the works for the campus itself? I know that Del Webs old building was originally to be redeveloped...not sure if that is still the case. I remember seeing the masterplan for the campus a couple of years ago...it was very aggressive including the redevelopment of some of ASU's older buildings.

ASU Capital Improvement Plan 2015-2017 (http://www.asu.edu/fm/documents/cip_latest.pdf)

Renovating Hayden Library
Student Pavilion located east of Hayden (for student orgs and services) could start next year
Renovate PV Main, East and West
Haven't hear what will happen to Armstrong Hall and Law Library after O'Connor School moves to Downtown Campus in 2016
Engineering building to replace Engineering Center A-F
Olympic athletics relocation and Intramural fields at Karsten course (clubhouse and practice course will remain)
Alpha Drive development
Wells Fargo Arena renovation/replacement

MegaBass
Jun 28, 2014, 4:22 AM
The Mill Avenue District Announces Free Lunchtime Trolley (http://www.millavenue.com/news/pr/lunchtime-trolley)

Spitfiredude
Jun 28, 2014, 6:50 AM
The Mill Avenue District Announces Free Lunchtime Trolley (http://www.millavenue.com/news/pr/lunchtime-trolley)

How cool! :cheers:
I think it will do great
I wonder if they're doing it through the end of August because its like a test period for them. I'm sure if the ridership is overwhelming they will probably make something of it and obviously connect to Marina Heights.

TempeSilverFox
Jun 28, 2014, 3:50 PM
Tempe City Council voted to delay consideration of the proposed Southbank Project. I spoke with one of the Council Members yesterday and I was told that the developer had some changes they wanted to incorporate into their proposal and that they were not yet ready to submit their proposal. This Council Member didn't think it would pass even when the developer resubmits in July because the project does't promote the type of density that the City envisions for the lake. I hope they are right :)

In Tempe, the City Council voted to delay consideration of a proposed 350-unit apartment complex on Tempe Town Lake.
The council will consider Lincoln Property Co.’s Southbank apartments on July 17.
Lincoln attorney Nick Wood told the Tempe council the developer needed more time before the project was ready to be brought up for a vote.
The apartments would be on a parcel previously slated for the never built Pier 202 development.
Tempe’s Development Review Commission rejected Lincoln’s apartment plans last year, preferring greater density on the vacant parcel near Rio Salado Parkway and Rural Road. Lincoln has the land under contract from Wolff Co. contingent on city approval.
The Tempe council did approve the redevelopment of two buildings near Broadway Road and Priest Drive into commercial condominiums. The redevelopment is called the Hohokam 56 Center.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2014/06/27/chandler-approves-demolition-of-compadre-stadium.html?page=all

azsunsurfer
Jun 29, 2014, 6:20 PM
ASU Capital Improvement Plan 2015-2017 (http://www.asu.edu/fm/documents/cip_latest.pdf)

Renovating Hayden Library
Student Pavilion located east of Hayden (for student orgs and services) could start next year
Renovate PV Main, East and West
Haven't hear what will happen to Armstrong Hall and Law Library after O'Connor School moves to Downtown Campus in 2016
Engineering building to replace Engineering Center A-F
Olympic athletics relocation and Intramural fields at Karsten course (clubhouse and practice course will remain)
Alpha Drive development
Wells Fargo Arena renovation/replacement

Thanks for the update on ASU Megabass!

MegaBass
Jun 29, 2014, 8:37 PM
PV Main, Irish and Hayden would be upgraded, and housing was planned as part of Block 12 and behind the Annex.

I thought Hayden Hall was renovated around 2006/2007?

The Walk Only Zone site (http://walk.asu.edu/) briefly had up what looked to be the next phases on Palm Walk and Tyler Mall between Bateman Physical Sciences Center and Engineering Center.

Arizona State Master Plan Update December 2011 (pdf) (http://www.asu.edu/vpbf/pdf/ASU_MP_Report.pdf)

phoenixwillrise
Jun 29, 2014, 11:04 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrFFOJvCAAElgK5.jpg

Rendering of the new video board at Phoenix Muni (located in right center) during today's press conference of ASU new baseball coach Tracy Smith h/t ASU Senior Associate Athletics Director Scottie Graham (https://twitter.com/ScottieGraham/status/482242744937496577/photo/1)

Hope they are smart enough to move it to left field as right field looks right into the sun. Also hope they dump some of the add boards and make it look like the original stadium with minimal add boards.

Spitfiredude
Jun 30, 2014, 3:14 AM
Exact words for the sign outside of 230 W 5TH street:

"City of Tempe Zoning"

"Request for a Planned Area Development Overlay for 230 West 5th Street to modify the maximum building height from 50 ft. to 300 ft. in the City Center zoning district. The project consists of one (1) proposed 26 story building with 255 dwelling units and ground floor retail / restaurant space with support parking, located at 230 West 5th Street. The applicant is Urban Land Advisors, LLC.

COMM MEETING: 07/07/14
DEV REV COM: 7/22/14
COUNCIL 1: 08/14/14
COUNCIL 2: 09/04/14

Looks good thusfar. Great height for this lot. Good for connectivity between downtown / lake. Competitive for West 6th. Looks like they want to push this through quickly.

michael85225
Jun 30, 2014, 5:11 AM
^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds great, I want more cranes in Tempe!

MegaBass
Jun 30, 2014, 6:39 AM
Restoring a ‘Jewel in the desert’ (http://www.jewishaz.com/arts_features/feature/restoring-a-jewel-in-the-desert/article_b97ccd48-fc81-11e3-8b97-0017a43b2370.html)

On top of a hill behind the Arizona Historical Society Museum at Papago Park in Tempe is an adobe house built in 1930 that was the winter home of a Jewish widow from Chicago.
The house is now being developed into the Eisendrath Center for Water Conservation, a component of the Carl Hayden Campus for Sustainability in Papago Park. The first phase of construction is complete and the Rio Salado Foundation recently launched a community campaign to raise the remaining $1 million needed to finish the project.
History of the house
Rose G. Eisendrath, the widow of a Chicago glove manufacturer, Joseph N. Eisendrath, was one of many wealthy Chicago residents who discovered Arizona during the 1920s and made it their winter home, according to the Rio Salado Foundation.
After she was refused accommodation at Valley resorts because she was Jewish, Eisendrath purchased a 40-acre parcel above the Salt River in North Tempe in April 1930 and hired local architect and master builder Robert T. Evans to build her a two-story home. Her first winter in the home – which she called Lomaki (“pretty house” in Hopi) – was in 1931, and she returned each winter until she died there at age 66 on Dec. 24, 1936.
After her death, the house stood mostly vacant for four years, until Eisendrath’s children sold the house and a succession of owners and tenants followed. In 2002, the City of Tempe purchased the nine-acre Eisendrath property.
“Rose Eisendrath’s house stands for someone who stood up against discrimination and that’s a story that’s crucial to human history to preserve, protect and tell,” former Tempe Mayor Hugh Hallman told Jewish News in 2010.
A ‘desert mansion’
Approaching the house, one can imagine the grandeur it once represented. The Pueblo Revival Style adobe home, constructed of concrete, adobe and wood, originally had 12 rooms and three baths, according to the Rio Salado Foundation, and there were also balconies that offered views of the desert against the background of the Papago Park mountains. There was also a citrus grove, an aviary, stables, a kennel and a swimming pool.
“It was a desert mansion,” said Kim Knotter, executive director of the Rio Salado Foundation, during a recent tour of the house. “She entertained often,” Knotter said.
The 6,433-square-foot house has been vacant since 1996, and the first phase of construction was started by Sundt Construction in 2010.
The first phase included restoring areas that had been damaged, including structural repairs. In some areas, the contractors had to pull out the plaster and replace the old adobe bricks with new bricks made of mud from the Salt River, Knotter said. The first phase also included much of the electrical and plumbing, restoring the exterior, constructing the SRP education center, installing security fencing, lighting and some landscaping.
Phase two will include the west parking area and interior finishes, as well as finishing the electrical, plumbing and landscaping, installing air conditioning equipment and bringing the property up to date with current safety and ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) codes.
The project was halted in 2012 due to lack of funding. To date, $3.2 million has been raised and another $1 million is needed to complete the project, according to Knotter. Major donors so far are the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community, Salt River Project (SRP) and Vestar, as well as one donor who wishes to remain anonymous.
Future plans for the house
The Rio Salado Foundation, a nonprofit that manages historically significant restorations and economic development projects along the Rio Salado Corridor, is restoring the property for use as a historic landmark and a community meeting venue, as well as the home for the City of Tempe Water Conservation Department in partnership with SRP.
“This will allow the house and property to serve the public as a reminder of the region’s past and as a touchstone for its future as a sustainable, diverse community,” according to materials from the foundation. The Eisendrath Center for Water Conservation will include:
• A tribute to Carl Hayden, which will honor the Tempe native, Maricopa County sheriff, state legislator and U.S. representative and senator with exhibits on water conservation.
• Rose Eisendrath Interpretive Center: Information about the history and restoration of the home and site will be displayed – including information about Rose Eisendrath and architect Robert Evans, whose other work includes the Jokake Inn – and Tempe Historical Society docents will conduct public educational tours as well as provide educational programs on water conservation and sustainable practices.
• Office space: City offices and staff of the City of Tempe’s Water Conservation Program will be housed at the Eisendrath House.
• Program space: Adjacent to the house is the SRP Education Center, which is currently being used for water conservation classes and meetings. Civic, educational and neighborhood organizations will be able to hold meetings, classes and special events in both buildings.
In addition to contributing to the campaign, members of the community can help in other ways, such as by serving on the grand opening committee or by volunteering. Earlier this month, 30 employees from Liberty Property Trust helped clean up the grounds and the house as part of a community service project. “It’s all about that collaborative effort,” Knotter said. “And the effort to really make it all happen.”

nickw252
Jun 30, 2014, 1:15 PM
Looks good thusfar. Great height for this lot. Good for connectivity between downtown / lake. Competitive for West 6th. Looks like they want to push this through quickly.

Maybe they're trying to push it through before FAA rules are changed reducing the max building heights in flight paths.

PHXFlyer16
Jun 30, 2014, 3:16 PM
This is great news! A 26er on that side would be amazing! Glad to hear retail and restaurant space will be a part of it.

Maybe they're trying to push it through before FAA rules are changed reducing the max building heights in flight paths.

I know this came up years back with the FAA declaring buildings "hazards." I don't believe the FAA can actually stop something from being built, however, if they were to declare a building a hazard, it could effect the ability of the owners to get insurance, or drive up the cost of the insurance on the building.

Anyone else know if there is anything they can really "do" to enforce these new requirements? Also, do we have if downtown tempe is within the 10,000 foot range? what about downtown Phoenix?

DevilsRider
Jun 30, 2014, 4:52 PM
Anyone else know if there is anything they can really "do" to enforce these new requirements? Also, do we have if downtown tempe is within the 10,000 foot range? what about downtown Phoenix?

A quick Google Earth measurement puts 10,000 feet from the edge of the runway at about Priest Drive, so anything east of Priest should not be impacted, which includes downtown Tempe. To the west, 10,000 feet would be just east of 7th Street.

PHX31
Jun 30, 2014, 7:03 PM
I thought Hayden Hall was renovated around 2006/2007?

The Walk Only Zone site (http://walk.asu.edu/) briefly had up what looked to be the next phases on Palm Walk and Tyler Mall between Bateman Physical Sciences Center and Engineering Center.

Arizona State Master Plan Update December 2011 (pdf) (http://www.asu.edu/vpbf/pdf/ASU_MP_Report.pdf)

That's awesome. I got my engineering degree from ASU so I'm intimately familiar with the Engineering Center. I used to think it was such a piece of sh!t back in the early 2000s. Glad to see they are going to demolish it and build something new.

RichTempe
Jun 30, 2014, 11:02 PM

Wouldn't 10,000 feet to the east of the runways at Sky Harbor be somewhere between Priest and Hardy? I'm just doing a rough estimate from Google maps, but it doesn't look like that new rule would impact downtown Tempe or anything along Ash currently proposed. It's a stupid change either way IMO.:koko:

A quick Google Earth measurement puts 10,000 feet from the edge of the runway at about Priest Drive, so anything east of Priest should not be impacted, which includes downtown Tempe. To the west, 10,000 feet would be just east of 7th Street.

I posted the same thing back on 6/24 and I think DevilsRider is correct.

PHXFlyer16
Jul 2, 2014, 3:00 AM
Lot going on!

First, I noticed that the AC Marriott plans for Hayden Ferry are now on the agenda for the Tempe DRC. Very underwhelming if you ask me, but it's a rather small lot and it is a nice win regardless. Just doesn't seem to match the rest of the design of those buildings, but that may actually be a good thing. Maybe there are too many rounded corners and too much blue glass. This could add some straight lines and contrast.

I assume the Lofts at Hayden Ferry will not be happening. I don't think that's a huge loss. With the rate Tempe is going, if that property hits the market it should be swooped up quickly and someone will likely propose something better than the apartments that were planned there (4 stories or 6, I forget?)

In regards to the 26-story planned building for 205 W. 5th, does anyone know if that is the entire lot? Essentially the entire parking lot that currently exists? If so, that is a HUGE lot. I would like to see the curved part of lot that faces 3rd street with light rail as a separate project. I guess we may not know until we see the plans.

I also noticed today that the lot directly North of Encore is all fenced off. It looks like something is to begin there. I don't recall, was there an Encore 2 in the works? I had hoped that with the W 6th and the new proposed 26 story tower at 205 that lots to the north and south of Encore on Farmer would get something more in the rage of 10-14 stories.

Spitfiredude
Jul 2, 2014, 4:42 AM
Lot going on!

First, I noticed that the AC Marriott plans for Hayden Ferry are now on the agenda for the Tempe DRC. Very underwhelming if you ask me, but it's a rather small lot and it is a nice win regardless. Just doesn't seem to match the rest of the design of those buildings, but that may actually be a good thing. Maybe there are too many rounded corners and too much blue glass. This could add some straight lines and contrast.

I assume the Lofts at Hayden Ferry will not be happening. I don't think that's a huge loss. With the rate Tempe is going, if that property hits the market it should be swooped up quickly and someone will likely propose something better than the apartments that were planned there (4 stories or 6, I forget?)

In regards to the 26-story planned building for 205 W. 5th, does anyone know if that is the entire lot? Essentially the entire parking lot that currently exists? If so, that is a HUGE lot. I would like to see the curved part of lot that faces 3rd street with light rail as a separate project. I guess we may not know until we see the plans.

I also noticed today that the lot directly North of Encore is all fenced off. It looks like something is to begin there. I don't recall, was there an Encore 2 in the works? I had hoped that with the W 6th and the new proposed 26 story tower at 205 that lots to the north and south of Encore on Farmer would get something more in the rage of 10-14 stories.

Reported about a month ago about the lot north of Encore. No activity since. Honestly from my point of view, it looks like just temporary parking for July 4th or something. IDK. I think a proposed 4-6 story retirement building was suppose to go there.

The East 5th St project is suppose to include only the green building and covered parking. As in the lot stuck between the small covered lot and Hayden condos + north lot (are both owned by Tempe) are not included. That's as far as my understanding.

Hanover's parking garage is about 90% complete. Should be finished by Friday, but they obviously still have some facade work and interior garage work to do. I wouldn't be surprise if they open the parking garage portion by August.

HFL3 has a giant hole. No tower crane site yet.

I read an article that Skywater is renting their 1600 SF 3 bed 3 bath for $4300. Good luck with that. With that money you can get a 3 bed/3 bath penthouse at West 6th on the 20-29 floor. What a joke of a price. Way overpriced.

PHXFlyer16
Jul 2, 2014, 4:09 PM
The East 5th St project is suppose to include only the green building and covered parking. As in the lot stuck between the small covered lot and Hayden condos + north lot (are both owned by Tempe) are not included. That's as far as my understanding.

I am really glad to hear that. No superblock! Ultimately Tempe will end up RFPing the land around that building out for development (of course to include public parking). This is probably the prime remaining lot West of Mill.

Jjs5056
Jul 2, 2014, 8:38 PM
The lot north of Encore is definitely for a sequel - 1 story shorter but with ground level retail. If Ash/University ever happens, hopefully the remainder are closer to 6-10.

Really hope the 5th street tower is for real, though it only makes buildings like Hanover, Encore, 5th/Maple (both sides- gray deadzone and smoke shop) stand out as poorly planned. Retail stretching to the tracks - and maybe further depending on Farmer - along 5th would've been great, and along with Ash/University could've formed the densest part of Tempe with the greatest heights.

MegaBass
Jul 4, 2014, 12:34 AM
The Memorial Union Starbucks is expanding into a whole new hang-out this summer as it is under construction to switch into the northwest corner, where Einstein Bros. Bagels now resides.

MegaBass
Jul 4, 2014, 4:16 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Brn6zGQCcAAKpi5.jpg

The installation of the structure for SDS sponsor signage is nearly complete h/t Sun Devil Athletics Senior Vice President Rocky Harris (https://twitter.com/SunDevilRocky/status/484694190907871232)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrqGHQcCMAEm1A1.jpg

Marina Heights h/t 12 News reporter Gia Vang (https://twitter.com/Gia_Vang/status/484847369360392193)

MegaBass
Jul 5, 2014, 6:13 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BruGHNPCEAADqv8.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BruGHbMCcAIkiGK.jpg

College Avenue Commons

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrrKCpNCIAIesss.jpg

Culinary Dropout

h/t Tom Tokoph of Urban Realty (https://twitter.com/UrbanRealty)

Jjs5056
Jul 5, 2014, 11:50 PM
Some good news and some bad news. The city has a list of projects broken into phase from review through occupied.

http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=25688
I'm not sure how accurate and active all the info is, but:

The Good
1) This may been posted, but TMP submitted plans for two, 4-story hotels on the eastern end of the site.
2) The Shops at Fountainhead are under review; even if they're developed to suburban standards, I admire the developer's efforts in creating a mixed use project in place of what was likely originally intended to be just another generic office park.
3) Hanover is listed as mixed use; I'll eat my hat if this project ends up including retail, but their garage or leasing office are probably being considered.
4) Apache continues to densify... 5-story project under review at Terrace/Apache and another adjacent to Grigio that looks like it would be similar in height given the acreage and dwelling units.
5) Possibly the first sign of investment spurred by ASU baseball's move? A StayBridge Suites is planned for the lot just S/E of SRP just before Mill turns to Van Buren.
6) "Snooze" is listed as the second restaurant moving to The Annex. Glad s tenant was found.

The Bad
Of course, I'm really critical, but I can't be alone in thinking/expecting more out of these sites:
1) Ash and University shows a mixed use res/retail under review; not sure what happened to the 21 stories discussed, because the max height is listed as 85' - same as Hanover, so 5 stories of residential over retail.
2) University Square submitted plans for a mixed use res/retail called "the Alec Warren;" no idea where the name came from, but I'm sure you can guess the height: 85' - 3.22 acres are listed, so I'm not sure if this is the whole site, or just a piece, but what a buzz kill if this is table is correct.

Are we really not at the point in Tempe where land and demand downtown supports the greater construction costs associated with pushing past 5 stories? If not now, then obviously never, as the market factors can't get any better - lack of inventory, incoming influx of business, high number of students, retail nearing 100% occupancy - and the lots have essentially dried up.

I can't find info on Ash/Uni or Uni Square, so I hope that it's true that plans were submitted, but that the rest is placeholder info or something?

The "Too Good to be True"
With that said, two of the remaining lots have big plans:
1) 5th/Ash is listed as under review for its 300' tower; at .77 acres, that brings over 300 units per acre to the core. I wish the guy wasn't a proven whack with a track record of poor decisions and failed projects.
2) "Rio+Mill" at 3 W Rio Salado shows a mixed use res/office/hotel at 191' - no idea if this is just a technicality and a holdover from the old 100 Mill days or what the legitimacy is, especially since I can't imagine another hotel really being built. But, 9-11 stories would be a nice break in the sea of 5 story building, while still allowing views and not overwhelming the streetscape.

Spitfiredude
Jul 6, 2014, 4:02 AM
The development at 230 W 5th is not by the same guy. The people who bought the site after he went bankrupt about 12-18 months ago were people who co-owned the site with him. They did not have a hand in the development. Once he went bankrupt (they were included with the bankruptcy of the site), they bought the remaining site off him. I'm not sure if they then sold it to a developer or planning development themselves, but we will find out.

As far as Ash/Mill. What a disappointment if true. That site deserves at least 100'. I don't think something above 250' is necessary, but jeez.

As far as Ash/Mill and University Square...if developed into 80-100' buildings, it wouldn't be the end of the world. There would still be USA Place, the 7th St/Mill lots, and two remaining lots at Ash/5th (next to the new tower). Plus all of Farmer and what not. But it is still disappointing without a doubt.

azsunsurfer
Jul 7, 2014, 2:47 PM
If you read JJ's link the Lofts at Hayden Ferry are happening (as I reported earlier). They are in the process of pulling permits. JJ I know im usually hard on you but thanks for the link. Anyone find some of the proposed projects interesting? There is one titled "Rio + Mill"- Mixed use/ hotel. I wonder which corner that is...im guess the Marquee theater site? Would be cool to see it redeveloped (and maybe incorporate a new live theater venue into the site?).

DevilsRider
Jul 7, 2014, 5:25 PM
If you read JJ's link the Lofts at Hayden Ferry are happening (as I reported earlier). They are in the process of pulling permits. JJ I know im usually hard on you but thanks for the link. Anyone find some of the proposed projects interesting? There is one titled "Rio + Mill"- Mixed use/ hotel. I wonder which corner that is...im guess the Marquee theater site? Would be cool to see it redeveloped (and maybe incorporate a new live theater venue into the site?).

Rio + Mill has the address 3 W Rio Salado Pkwy, which Google maps places at the Tempe Beach Park parking lot. More likely, it's for 3 W 1st St, which is the Monti's/parking lot site, which I believe has had different proposals bandied about for years...Marquee is 730 N Mill Ave, and at Mill + Washington rather than Rio + Mill. Would love to see that site redeveloped too, while incorporating a venue as you mentioned, but it's probably not this one.

azsunsurfer
Jul 7, 2014, 6:17 PM
Rio + Mill has the address 3 W Rio Salado Pkwy, which Google maps places at the Tempe Beach Park parking lot. More likely, it's for 3 W 1st St, which is the Monti's/parking lot site, which I believe has had different proposals bandied about for years...Marquee is 730 N Mill Ave, and at Mill + Washington rather than Rio + Mill. Would love to see that site redeveloped too, while incorporating a venue as you mentioned, but it's probably not this one.

You're right Devil. I think its for that one story building on the western corner as well? It could also be for the Monti's complex?

rocksteady
Jul 7, 2014, 8:05 PM
I would love to see some of these old "Future Tempe Condos" on the bottom right come back to life.

http://www.weknowurban.com/Tempe/#Tempe-Lofts-and-Tempe-High-Rise-Condos

Jjs5056
Jul 9, 2014, 11:17 PM
"Rio + Mill" has to be the parking lot between Monti's and US Airways, if it is a real project. Given the community outcry last time around with developers trying to encroach upon the Monti's building and the slower economy, it wouldn't make sense for anyone to ruffle feather by messing with the historic site, especially after the recent upgrades.

Spitefire- thanks for clarification on 5th street; didn't mean to spread false info. Glad to hear that guy has no affiliation with the project.

Jjs5056
Jul 9, 2014, 11:21 PM
I would love to see some of these old "Future Tempe Condos" on the bottom right come back to life.

http://www.weknowurban.com/Tempe/#Tempe-Lofts-and-Tempe-High-Rise-Condos

Yes, the ones listed were probably the most important in balancing the city's mix of owner-occupied condos with investors, renters and students. Mosaic at Ash/Uni, Landsource at College/Veterans Way, Farmers Arts (midrise step-down with affordable housing and library amenities)... 100 Mill Ave/Monti's and University Square were, IMO, overbuilt, but still important parcels - the Monti's area to continue connecting the lake with downtown, and University Square to continue mixing uses of education, office, residential, etc. throughout downtown.

dtnphx
Jul 11, 2014, 10:24 PM
If something seemed like it was up...this is why....

Financing plans change for $350M USA Basketball/Omni Hotel project in Tempe

Financing plans have changed for the proposed $350 million USA Place development in downtown Tempe, and that is pushing back the timetable for the project.

Developers say they still are moving forward with the project.

The Tempe development is slated to be the new home of USA Basketball as well as a 330-room, 13-story Omni Hotel at Mill Avenue and University Drive.

Original plans called for the USA Basketball — the Jerry Colangelo-chaired group that puts together American national teams for the Olympics and other tournaments — to relocate its headquarters from Colorado Springs, Colorado to Tempe in 2015. The Omni Hotel was also tentatively scheduled to open in 2015.

Now, developers and USA Basketball are looking at the fall of 2016 for construction to be completed and the sports group’s relocation to Arizona.

The USA Basketball move would also happen after 2016 Summer Olympics in Brazil, instead of before, as originally planned.

Susan Eastridge, CEO of Scottsdale-based Concord Eastridge and a principal of USA Place LLC, said financing for the project is going in a different direction than originally planned.

“Nothing is ‘delayed,” she said in statement to the Phoenix Business Journal.

Eastridge said original plans called for separate financing for the various components of the project including the hotel, apartment, commercial space and parking. “While this would have been an effective way to get the entire project financed, we had the opportunity to re-evaluate our financing approach and engage one large equity investor to finance the entire project,” Eastridge said. “We are completing that transaction now.”

The development sits on 10.5 acres of Arizona State University-owned land at the southeast corner of Mill and University. ASU has long sought to redevelop the parcel. A Chili’s restaurant at the corner of the parcel has been closed to accommodate the project.

The USA Place will lease the land from ASU. The school will get a 1,000-square-foot boardroom in a planned conference center next to the Omni hotel. Office space, 540 apartments, as well as a parking garage and underground parking are also part of the project.

Eastridge said development partners and Omni are still on board with the project.

Tempe business and real estate officials have been wondering about the status of the project and whether financing was delayed.

“It’s definitely not dead. People are talking about,” said Kate Borders, president of Downtown Tempe Community Inc.

Borders notes that Tempe has the lowest office vacancy rate in the state and there are number of commercial and residential developments in the works along Mill Avenue and Tempe Town Lake.

Colangelo — the former Phoenix Suns and Arizona Diamondbacks owner — has been the chairman of USA Basketball since 2005. He was part of an effort in 2008 to move the basketball program to Glendale and the Main Street Glendale development. Main Street failed and went into foreclosure and USA Basketball canceled its Glendale plans in 2010.

Roughly three years later, the Colangelo group announced it was working with Eastridge and Los Angeles developer Michael Hallmark on the Tempe/ASU development.

Mike Sunnucks writes about politics, law, airlines, sports business and the economy.

TempeSilverFox
Jul 12, 2014, 3:34 PM
If something seemed like it was up...this is why....

Financing plans change for $350M USA Basketball/Omni Hotel project in Tempe

Here is the link to the article. This is VERY exciting! :) So glad that this project is still alive! I'm also wondering if they are now able to obtain financing for the entire project through one source, I would think this bodes well for the entire project actually coming through? With the other method of piece by piece financing, I would think they would run the risk of parts of the project losing financing and then we end up with a project that looks nothing like what we were hoping for...

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2014/07/11/financing-plans-change-for-350m-usa-basketball.html

ASU Diablo
Jul 15, 2014, 7:04 PM
Apologies if this was posted before but Snooze will be the other restaurant going into Art Annex building.

Snooze brings breakfast concept to Tempe
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/blog/prime_cuts/2014/07/snooze-brings-breakfast-concept-to-tempe.html

MegaBass
Jul 16, 2014, 3:58 AM
ASU Psychology Building (South) Renovation (https://cfo.asu.edu/fdm-psych-renovation)

https://cfo.asu.edu/sites/default/files/psych/psych-2.png

Similar to the work done on Ira D. Payne Educational Hall.

dtnphx
Jul 16, 2014, 8:36 PM
Looks like the Mad Men set.

CrestedSaguaro
Jul 16, 2014, 11:30 PM
Fifth, yes I said FIFTH, tower crane is going up at Marina Heights!

:yes:

ciweiss
Jul 17, 2014, 1:23 AM
I know this was already mentioned but there is an interesting roof top pool photo in the article that I don't recall seeing before

Marriott may bring new Europe next to old Tempe

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2014/07/15/marriott-bring-new-europe-next-old-tempe/12646389/

If Charles Hayden saw Tempe today, he probably wouldn't recognize much other than his namesake, the Hayden Flour Mill.

Since Hayden opened the mill in the late 19th century, the surrounding area has become among the most attractive places to be for Southeast Valley residents and visitors. Mill Avenue is the base for social 20-somethings. Families frequent Tempe Beach Park and Tempe Town Lake. The condominiums at Hayden Ferry Lakeside are home to those with a taste for luxury.

And now, it appears the area could see even more tourists and visitors.

On July 9, Tempe's Development Review Commission heard a proposal from representatives of Woodbine Development and Marriott Hotels who want to build an AC by Marriott, a European series that the hotel giant is bringing to the U.S.

This development near the historic flour mill would join several other attempts to develop or refurbish Southeast Valley historic sites. Some have succeeded, such as Chandler's San Marcos Hotel and Gilbert's Liberty Market. Others have not, including Mesa's Sunkist building.

AC by Marriott
An architect’s rendering of a hotel that could be built adjacent to the historic Hayden Flour Mill in downtown Tempe.(Photo: Courtesy of Woodbine Development Corp.)
According to Mike Withey of Withey Morris Law Firm, who is representing the project, there are about 83 AC hotels in the world. In the U.S., other sites are in New Orleans and Kansas City.

"The end result is something we'll be very proud of," Withey told the commission.

The hotel would sit just northeast of the Hayden Flour Mill, sharing the Rio Salado Parking Structure with Hayden Ferry Lakeside condominiums. Though this is not the first time someone has tried to develop a hotel in that space.

In 2006, a proposal was placed in front of the Tempe Development Review Commission for the Tempe Town Lake Hotel and Condominiums. The site would have had 183 rooms and 40 residential condos in a 14-story building.

But the dirt lot next to the Rio Salado Parking Structure never became the Tempe Town Lake Hotel and Condominiums. When asked why the site never developed, Tempe Development Review Commission Chairman Dennis Web replied, "Finance."

By the time construction was to begin, the recession hit, and with pockets bare, hotels were the last thing on which people wanted to spend their money.

AC by Marriott
Architect's rendering of a hotel to be built adjacent to the historic Hayden Flour Mill in downtown Tempe.(Photo: Courtesy of Woodbine Development Corp.)
It's unlikely AC by Marriott will suffer the same fate. The economy has improved since 2008, and the team for the development — Marriott, Woodbine Development and Withey Morris — made sure to cover all their bases.

The proposed Marriott is much smaller than the 2006 hotel concept, with six floors instead of 14 and 159 rooms instead of 183. Woodbine representatives spoke with residents at the Hayden Ferry Lakeside condominiums to make sure they were satisfied with the future site. Even though the commission did not require Woodbine to garner the support of neighbors, the team felt it was important.

Robert Stephan Jr. came to the review as a representative of the condo's HOA. Stephan claimed he had "the proud distinction of being the first person to live on Tempe Town Lake," and gave full support of Woodbine's plans for development.

Hayden Flour Mill 1940Hayden Flour Mill as it looked in the 1940s. (Photo: Courtesy of the Tempe History Museum) Fullscreen
Hayden Flour Mill 1940 Hayden Flour Mill 1871 Hayden Flour Mill 2012 Hayden Flour Mill 2012 Hayden Flour Mill Hayden Flour Mill 2012 Hayden Flour Mill 2012
Next Slide
"I can report that working with Woodbine has been extraordinarily fun," Stephan told the commission. "Woodbine has involved us so that we feel we are a part of making their hotel part of our community."

Stephan said that "any other structural use of that vacant parcel would be far less desirable." He said that he would have preferred a park over a hotel, but he understood the attraction of that space.

As for the Tempe Development Commission Review, the project seemed appealing and beneficial for the city. Though two commissioners were missing during the proposal, the five remaining commissioners approved AC by Marriott unanimously.

Commissioner Chairman Webb said the hotel would be a perfect complement.

"It fits well, and it's a great use for the area," Webb said over the phone.

Development near Tempe Town Lake is booming, namely with new apartment complexes as well as the future Marina Heights. According to Kristopher Harmon, project manager and legal counsel for Woodbine Southwest, it was the growth in Tempe that attracted Woodbine and Marriott in the first place.

"For Marriott, the tagline is 'feel the city.' They're geared toward urban markets … and one place that's very urban is downtown Tempe," Harmon said in a phone interview. "Woodbine likes Tempe because of the job growth and action with Marina Heights and Mill Avenue. It has lots of good job creators."

Harmon also mentioned their support of mixed use developments, which is something Woodbine attempts to involve themselves with as often as possible. Harmon pointed out one of their most notable projects in Arizona, Scottsdale's Kierland Commons.

"Even though this project won't be mixed use [like Kierland], we're glad to be in an area where there is already lots of mixed use.

If Woodbine gets approval for their building permits, Harmon said that Tempe could see an AC by Marriott by early 2016.

Once Charles Hayden got over the initial shock of how Tempe has changed, he would probably be proud to see how his flour mill has remained a cornerstone, standing strong within the massive urbanization of the city.

ciweiss
Jul 17, 2014, 1:28 AM
This was mentioned as well but nice to have an opening date

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/blog/prime_cuts/2014/07/nypd-pizza-set-to-open-in-downtown-tempe.html

Phoenix-based NYPD Pizza will open its downtown Tempe restaurant July 25.
The New York-style pizzeria chain will open its 12th store on Mill Avenue next Friday inside the Tempe Gateway building directly across from the Mill Ave./Third Street Metro Light Rail stop.
“Mill Avenue is a dining and entertainment mecca,” said NYPD CEO Rich Stark. “We are happy to be part of the energy and connectivity of downtown Tempe.”
In addition to its proximity to Arizona State University, downtown Tempe has experienced an economic resurgence in recent years. NYPD sought to locate a restaurant on Mill because of the corporate density.
Approximately 140,000 people work within a three-mile radius of Mill Avenue, including all of ASU.
Tempe Mayor Mark Mitchell lauded NYPD’s Mill Avenue opening, saying the pizzeria will fit in nicely along the urban drag.
“They are going to be a great addition and I’m excited to have yet another quality eatery in this community,” he said in a statement.
As part of NYPD’s opening in the area, the pizza chain will provide complimentary parking all day July 28 for the 75 parking meters along Mill between University Drive and Rio Salado Parkway.
NYPD also will serve breakfast at its Tempe location. It also serves breakfast at its restaurants at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.
Since the recession, Mill has returned to its local roots. It now is home to a slew of restaurants and shops, most of which are locally owned and operated. In addition, the past few years have brought about several large residential and commercial projects in the downtown core.

Over the past 18 months, NYPD has been in an aggressive growth mode, opening two locations at Sky Harbor, as well as a store at Seventh Avenue and McDowell Road in Phoenix.
The chain also renovated its Biltmore store at Camelback Road and 20th Street.
NYPD first announced its Tempe plans back in March.

RichTempe
Jul 17, 2014, 3:01 AM

Is it going up on the east end? I can't see anything from the construction cam other than the 4 already there. Maybe it's not tall enough yet to show from behind the other buildings?

Spitfiredude
Jul 17, 2014, 6:03 AM

Freaking sweet..

I am anticipating that HFL 3 crane will go up by the end of August. Considering the first crane at State farm doesn't get taken down, that will be a cool skyline. I'm sure the AC hotel will be using a tower crane since the site is so constricted. Considering they start construction in the next few months, and that the height of the crane is around 120', you will be able to see it over the 7-8 story condo complex (I think Edgewater is the smaller one). This will be a total of 6 or 7 cranes along the lake at once. Freaking exciting.

They are starting to put glass on the facade of the second building at State Farm. Remember, this will be the tallest building at I believe 253'. Which is about 90' taller than the one that is completed.

I notice the 230 W 5th st isn't in the DRC's schedule 7-22. I wish someone went to the meeting. I'm assuming they are still moving forward, just maybe some small changes or something. I'm faithful this is a serious project.

Someone made a point to me that A-Mountain is nearly 375' above ground level in the city of Tempe. So why are they trying to put these height restrictions. Considering you can't take out the mountain/stadium and they're directly in the flight path, it doesn't make sense as far as Tempe. If a plane is going down, its going down. If the pilot still has control, he would make the right decision to land in the lake or Papago, or possibly even freeway. These restrictions need to be made per airport, on a project to project basis. SD, I can see the need. Tempe, not so much. I assume most commercial jets approach 900-1200' above Tempe ground level. Can anyone explain the concept behind this. I saw something in Tempe's website about a special meeting for the council in order to support the proposal? Im confused..

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/nr/rdonlyres/f2c1829f-7969-4a47-adcc-64c6b6320ba0/0/far_part77.pdf

This may give more info on how the restrictions work. Looks like 1' high for every 100' back? Meaning directly in the runway lane you can't hit 200' until 20000' (or nearly 4 miles)?

DevilsRider
Jul 17, 2014, 2:33 PM
Is it going up on the east end? I can't see anything from the construction cam other than the 4 already there. Maybe it's not tall enough yet to show from behind the other buildings?

From across the lake, it looked about halfway up last night, near the northeast corner of the site, so it would be hidden behind the existing construction for the moment.

Edit: if you look at the bottom right corner of the shorter building, I think you can *just* see the tower crane's frame poking up above building level. http://oxblue.com/open/ryancompanies/marinaheights

PHXFlyer11
Jul 17, 2014, 3:29 PM
While the new tower for 5th St. isn't on the DRC agenda, I did find this little gem.

http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=26493

This is replacing a trailer park, always a win, with a 5 long, narrow 5 story building. Unfortunately, there is surface parking on either side, but very nice, creative use of a very awkward lot.

Does anyone have pictures of The Grand, or Lemon, whatever they are calling it now? I can see the crane, but that is the one project I have not seen upclose since construction began. It looked very nice from the plans, so I am curious to see how it is developing.

DevilsRider
Jul 17, 2014, 4:11 PM
While the new tower for 5th St. isn't on the DRC agenda, I did find this little gem.

http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=26493

This is replacing a trailer park, always a win, with a 5 long, narrow 5 story building. Unfortunately, there is surface parking on either side, but very nice, creative use of a very awkward lot.

All these sites north and south of the RR tracks are awkward. It would be nice to see an extension of Spence/Wildermuth to bring some semblance of normal blocks back to the properties. I wonder if, as adjacent properties get developed, there might be consideration given to converting part of the pool/park area into a narrow neighborhood street that runs through these deep parcels.

I do really like the site plan. The parking could be much worse, I like the look and height of the buildings, and the frontage building looks pretty cool. Plus, even those living furthest back in the lot have only a 5 minute walk to get to the train station, or a very short bike ride (and I really like how they pulled the buildings back on the east side to provide space for bike parking, handicap parking, and storage.

Overall, a good addition to the McClintock station!

Jjs5056
Jul 18, 2014, 3:31 AM
Yes, I mentioned Pony Acres in the list of upcoming/planned Tempe projects; a project on Dorsey/Apache is also in the works for those interested in the specific development of this area of the Apache corridor. While I applaud the unique approach taken by the architect to optimize an awkwardly-situated site, I have to agree with staff's original proposal to seek adjacent properties to pursue and combine into a more conducive plan. If this were the final parcel on this block, then I think is a perfect proposal. However, this development now forces #5, Tempe Trailer Villas into the same difficult situation and who knows whether a similarly inventive developer will be willing to design for such a unique site? More likely, other sites will develop and those Trailer Villas will remain indefinitely.

I also have an issue with the continued variances given to reduce commercial uses in mixed use zones, and to consider gyms, tenant office space, or other resident-only amenities as 'retail,' rather than simply necessities in order to meet the standards of apartments in this market. This is particularly worrisome adjacent to a light rail station, and along a mixed income corridor where retail space is an absolute necessity in order to ensure that Apache becomes a walkable neighborhood for residents relying on alternate modes of transportation to fulfill their daily needs - which should be the optimal goal and spirit of mixed use designations/requirements in the general plans.

In 10 years, a family of 4 walking from Price to Rural along Apache should be able to buy groceries, a new cell phone, wash their clothes, buy new clothes (from second-hand to low/medium-end), dine, etc. Passing 10 different gyms and working spaces filled with hot ASU students won't do anything to improve their life and, ultimately, leaves the area as one where a vehicle will still be necessary. I'm okay with being solution-oriented in these instances, but it should work as most other development requirements do: with trade-offs. Here are several examples I can think of, and I'm sure our paid officials can think of even more:

Possible Developer Trade-Offs for Commercial Space Reduction
Reduction in dedicated commercial space can be obtained by providing ground level amenities and maintenance for light rail passengers in the form of*:
1) Public restrooms (5%)
2) Vending machines (4%; max 3)
3) NRG cooling (4% per ___ sq. feet cooled; max 20%)
4) Permanent shade structures (3%, max 1, minimum ____ sq. feet)
5) Public art (3%; max 2 per ___ sq. feet)
6) Supplemental wayfinding (2%; max 2 per ____ sq. feet - nearby lodging, or attractions.. the nearest bike shops... etc.).

*developments adjacent to light rail stations must always provide a minimum of ___ sq. feet for traditional retail service, the size of 1 traditional food service business.

Fitness Centers may count toward the required commercial space by:
1) Providing ____% frontage onto the most major street of the development
2) Allowing public memberships at a rate not to exceed 60% of the 5-mile radius average
3) Providing a beverage/smoothie/food bar or cafe with street-dedicated entrance or window opened to the public
4) Providing health/nutrition classes open to the public, free of charge for students

Office Space may count toward the required commercial space by:
1) Providing ____% frontage onto the most major street of the development
2) Providing the sale or repair of technology to the public with street-dedicated entrance
3) Providing a minimum of 30% space for technology and amenities of equal standard for public use at hourly rate
4) Providing technology classes open to the public, discounted for students
5) Providing tutoring sessions open the public, free of charge for students 12 and under, discounted for students 12+ with ID

This isn't happening at only these locations, thus my concern. Every Broadstone project has been given this variance (Uni/Dorsey, Camelback/26th, Central/Osborn), as have many others. It shouldn't take that much to build a beverage counter with misters and seating, or stock up your cafe items in the leasing office and offering lunch services... these help more with activating the street than providing infrastructure for a sustainable, equitable neighborhood, but it's better than glass windows.

nickw252
Jul 18, 2014, 3:43 PM

I looked this morning. The fifth tower crane is going up on the far east side. It's not completed but it's about the same height as the current east building that's topped out. You can't really see it in the OxBlue camera yet but you can see the mobile crane that's building the new tower crane.

Edit: You can now see the fifth tower crane poking up on the OxBlue camera.

nickw252
Jul 20, 2014, 3:13 AM
You can now clearly see the fifth tower crane.

http://i60.tinypic.com/24lmqg1.jpg

Arquitect
Jul 20, 2014, 7:24 PM
You can now clearly see the fifth tower crane.

http://i60.tinypic.com/24lmqg1.jpg

It's awesome how fast this project is coming up! Thanks for sharing the progress.

RichTempe
Jul 21, 2014, 3:56 AM
Here are a couple of pics I took this afternoon from the north side of the lake looking towards Marina Heights and HFL. All 5 tower cranes are up now.

You can also see the tower crane for the addition to The Hub/University House through the gap at the north end of SDS.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/540/68f34f.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/537/f2544a.jpg

Jjs5056
Jul 21, 2014, 9:47 AM
Wow, it really is incredible - thank you for the shots; can't believe I'm looking at the facade. Usually, we'd be arguing over whether or not this project would actually be happening still - instead, we have buildings taller than most of what's been constructed in Tempe or Phoenix since the boom already!

Happy to see such similarity between the facade in photograph vs. the rendering. Really pretty and complementary to HFL, while breaking up the monotony.

Lazy question: which buildings have NOT broken ground yet on this campus?

Last comment: sucks seeing the underground parking shot; I bet the development team would've gone deeper if they could. Losing the monster garages would've made this go from an A to A+ project IMO.

PHX31
Jul 21, 2014, 4:15 PM
Great pictures, RichTempe!

You should post your photo in the Tempe project rundown thread on the main page (or does Marina Heights have its own thread over there, I can't remember). It's a great huge project that should get some recognition.

Spitfiredude
Jul 21, 2014, 6:53 PM
Wow, it really is incredible - thank you for the shots; can't believe I'm looking at the facade. Usually, we'd be arguing over whether or not this project would actually be happening still - instead, we have buildings taller than most of what's been constructed in Tempe or Phoenix since the boom already!

Happy to see such similarity between the facade in photograph vs. the rendering. Really pretty and complementary to HFL, while breaking up the monotony.

Lazy question: which buildings have NOT broken ground yet on this campus?

Last comment: sucks seeing the underground parking shot; I bet the development team would've gone deeper if they could. Losing the monster garages would've made this go from an A to A+ project IMO.

Agreed, the two above ground level garages suck, but oh well. I guess beggers can't be choosers. We're all beggers on this site though.

I think there are 3 buildings yet to go above ground level. One on the east, west, and very north end. The east and west ones are at same height I believe (around 253' or something). The current second tallest building is supposed to be the tallest eventually at 258' or something. The north end one is only like 4-6 stories, so maybe 80-100'. HFL is 194', but I believe the site elevation sits 10-20' higher than State Farm. Even still, that's at least a 50' increase in max building height on lake.

azsunsurfer
Jul 21, 2014, 9:08 PM
The parking garages will at least have a cool design to them along with first floor lobbies/ retail..and also they will be adding much needed height to the buildings...isn't that more than enough to be happy about?

phoenixwillrise
Jul 21, 2014, 10:30 PM
The parking garages will at least have a cool design to them along with first floor lobbies/ retail..and also they will be adding much needed height to the buildings...isn't that more than enough to be happy about?

Not sure why everybody freaks out about parking garages we do after all live in 120 degree heat. Do they want everybody to take the bus or light rail?
Even in big cities with nice weather they still build a hell of a lot of parking garages and if they build them with some design and ground floor retail who at that point really gives a rip.

ASUSunDevil
Jul 22, 2014, 3:00 AM
U of P Stadium still makes me sick. That would have been such an awesome location.

Jul 21, 2014, 3:24pm MST

Tempe Chamber worries FAA height rules will take big bite out of Town Lake, ASU development

Mike Sunnucks
Senior Reporter-
Phoenix Business Journal

The Tempe Chamber of Commerce worries proposed building height restrictions near airports could take a big bite out of development plans — and economic activity — at Tempe Town Lake and Arizona State University.
The Federal Aviation Administration is considering restrictions on building heights near airports across the U.S., including Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.

Tempe Chamber President and CEO Mary Ann Miller has written John Speckin, the FAA administrator overseeing the possible regulations, asking the agency to dump the proposal. Tim Lawless, president of the NAIOP-AZ real estate industry group, has also recently written the FAA voicing developers concerns about the rules.

In her July 11 letter, Miller said the FAA rules could cut allowable building heights near ASU and Town Lake by 25 percent. She said there would be more high-density development in Tempe that could be impacted by airport height rules. ASU has also created a special development district near its Tempe campus with proceeds from those projects going to help renovate sports facilities.

Tempe, Phoenix — which owns Sky Harbor — and the FAA have had some past squabbles over building heights, including a failed plan to build what is now University of Phoenix Stadium on Salt River Project-owned land near the two cities’ border.

More recently, the 30-story West 6th apartment tower on Mill Avenue also created concerns with Sky Harbor and the FAA.

The FAA is considering the restrictions as it looks at flight paths near airports and giving planes more room to maneuver if they have engine problems.
Airlines worry that they will have to cut passenger and cargo loads in order to abide by FAA rules if there is development around airports.

The FAA rule would apply nationwide, but real estate and economic developers worry the Valley could feel the brunt because there are areas still not built out like in other cities, In addition, the warm summer weather requires planes to use more power at takeoff.

An FAA rule on airplane loads and power requirements during takeoff could have a bigger impact on Phoenix because of the Valley’s summer heat.

Jjs5056
Jul 22, 2014, 6:14 AM

I was just pointing out the irony out of a developer who likely would've put the entire parking underground, but was unable to because of environmental/geographical factors; sigh. :shrug:

Whether they add anything aesthetically to the project is in the eye of the beholder. With the "much needed height" comes a more heavy, boxy massing, that makes for a fortress-like impact and they turn the project into an island by abutting the developments on either side. Had they been able to design an office-only building, the ground level probably would've been more inviting on all 4 sides, and the more slender buildings would've allowed for a more open pedestrian circulation. Overall, I wish there was only one on the eastern side... if The Lofts get built, it'll look a little claustrophobic.

Anyway, I just wrote about how great the project was turning out - so, clearly there's much I am "happy about."

Not sure why everybody freaks out about parking garages we do after all live in 120 degree heat. Do they want everybody to take the bus or light rail?
Even in big cities with nice weather they still build a hell of a lot of parking garages and if they build them with some design and ground floor retail who at that point really gives a rip.

Nobody is "freaking out" over parking garages. Yes, they are a fact of life in Phoenix due to the car-centric attitudes and developers will need to continue to include them.

I'm not sure where you are seeing well-designed structures with ground level retail, however, and that's why the preference is that they are built below-ground. Maybe start a thread of some of the best in the region if there are some less-obvious, but well-designed ones worth appreciating? There are many in California that are quite decent, but look right next to this project at HFL for an example of the typical AZ design.

MegaBass
Jul 22, 2014, 6:58 PM
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/CDOTempeColorRendering.jpg

Culinary Dropout at Farmer Arts District: Fox Restaurant Concepts' Largest Project to Date
(http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/2014/07/culinary_dropout_at_farmer_arts_district_fox_restaurant_concepts_largest_project_to_date.php)

We already told you that James Beard Award-nominated restaurant owner Sam Fox would be bringing his Culinary Dropout concept to a new project in Tempe. But now, the Arizona-based restaurant group is ready to release a few more details about their biggest project to date.
The Culinary Dropout at Farmer Arts District will be located at 149 West Farmer Avenue in Tempe and is just part of an effort to revitalize the area west of Mill Avenue. The plans for the massive new development include a Culinary Dropout restaurant, private dining space, live music venue, and other local businesses.

See also: Sam Fox to Open Culinary Dropout in Tempe, Along with a Concept Similar to The Yard

Fox Restaurant Concepts and development partner, Brian Frakes, plan to open the restaurant in October. Like The Yard in Phoenix, the approximately 14,757-square-foot space will include a large outdoor patio with yard games. The project will also include a private dining venue called The Showcase Room and other local businesses.

The Showcase Room alone will be able to serve up to 250 people with a separate entrance and its own bar. The 4,435-square-foot space will also be able to be divided into two smaller spaces, for use by smaller parties. There will also be a second private dining space called The Coop, which will be able to seat 86 guests.

As we previously reported, the development will also house a second branch of Phoenix's Madison Improvement Club. The Madison at Farmer Arts District will feature a "Party on a Bike" spin studio with 60 bikes and a state-of-the-art lighting and sound system. The 3,956-square-foot venue will schedule about seven classes a day during the week, and four classes a day on weekends. It's expected to be the first business to open in the venue later this fall.

The s.e.e.d. café -- also found at The Madison Improvement Club -- will offer prepackaged healthy and tasty to-go salads, juices, one to three day juice cleanses, house made energy bars and raw desserts. There will also be The Madison boutique, which will carry clothing and accessories, including private label pieces.

Finally, Culinary Dropout at Farmer Arts District has plans to build a stage and a 2,758 square foot outdoor lounge patio with an Outdoor Beer Cooler. As at The Yard, the outdoor game area will offer ping pong, corn hole, and other family-friendly games.

The complex will offer about 90 parking spaces and valet.

Construction on the warehouse space, which was originally built in the 1960s for Thorens Showcase and Fixtures, began in March. More details about the local businesses that will occupy the space will be announced soon.

Stay tuned.

DevilsRider
Jul 22, 2014, 9:35 PM

Culinary Dropout at Farmer Arts District: Fox Restaurant Concepts' Largest Project to Date
(http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/2014/07/culinary_dropout_at_farmer_arts_district_fox_restaurant_concepts_largest_project_to_date.php)

So freaking excited for this!!! I love the one in Phoenix, and am glad there will now be one easily accessible by light rail.

rocksteady
Jul 22, 2014, 10:32 PM
So freaking excited for this!!! I love the one in Phoenix, and am glad there will now be one easily accessible by light rail. This is going to be SO successful for them. What a great location and setting.

Also, I moved from Phoenix to San Francisco a little over a month ago and seeing those pictures of Tempe Town Lake with all of those cranes is simply amazing in that short of a time period. Looks like something out of China. It will be unrecognizable to me when I go back to visit.

Arquitect
Jul 22, 2014, 10:34 PM
So freaking excited for this!!! I love the one in Phoenix, and am glad there will now be one easily accessible by light rail.

Yeah the one in Phoenix is fantastic! The only thing I wish could be improved (and from the rendering it seems like it is the same in this one) is the visibility from the street. I really like the wood fencing, but it would be awesome if there were some places where you could peek inside. I drove past the Phoenix version for months before I finally discovered what laid behind that fence. If I could have seen at least a glimpse of it, I would have for sure stopped and checked it out. I wish the Tempe location could create some areas where you can see through the fence, just to appear more welcoming. (I know that the Phoenix one also has such a barrier to shelter it a bit from the constant traffic on the other side, which is definitely not an issue on Farmer).

Spitfiredude
Jul 23, 2014, 3:12 AM
College Avenue is reopened. At least the street. Its nice but the street pavement itself really stands out from North / South. That sort of looks strange. The landscaping and what not is not finished.

Jjs5056
Jul 23, 2014, 5:29 AM
Yeah the one in Phoenix is fantastic! The only thing I wish could be improved (and from the rendering it seems like it is the same in this one) is the visibility from the street. I really like the wood fencing, but it would be awesome if there were some places where you could peek inside. I drove past the Phoenix version for months before I finally discovered what laid behind that fence. If I could have seen at least a glimpse of it, I would have for sure stopped and checked it out. I wish the Tempe location could create some areas where you can see through the fence, just to appear more welcoming. (I know that the Phoenix one also has such a barrier to shelter it a bit from the constant traffic on the other side, which is definitely not an issue on Farmer).

Agreed - you can tell some effort was made by the wooden piece of the fence (that allows you to see inside vs. the solid corrugated metal part), but would've been nice for that to have started 1-2 feet lower; maybe the perspective is off, though, since I'm basing the height off the walking couple. :)

Also, I'd imagine most traffic will be coming from the opposite side (5th street for drivers) and will have parked and entered the building by this point. The only residents coming via 1st street would be those from the w Rio Salado housing (Regatta Pointe, new-name-for-Argo, etc.).

How much of the warehouse was torn down? From this rendering, obviously the northernmost part was (metal with garage door fronting Farmer, dormer-type windows facing north); did the demo work continue south of that? I hope not - I like all the various transitions and can see each business fitting in nicely. Assuming there is room in the street for sidewalks?

2 final questions:
1) Is the property north of 1st the one that Tempe went to court with over the owners for? I thought the City won? If so, it's too bad all parking couldn't be placed there instead of on the south end of the project.
2) Has anyone heard whether a pedestrian path will be completed on the very eastern portion of the project? I know Encore had to design one, as Tempe's goal for the Farmer Arts District was to have a contiguous pedestrian path from University to the lake.

PHXFlyer11
Jul 23, 2014, 11:25 PM
The next agenda just came online for the next DRC!

26-story, 300ft for 230 W. 5th! No renderings posted yet. Probably in a week or two we'll get a link to the additional attachment.

http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=26660

nickw252
Jul 24, 2014, 3:22 PM
I drove by Hayden Ferry Lakeside 3 this morning and there was a lot of action. I would expect a tower crane there pretty soon. I wish we had a construction camera to watch.

CrestedSaguaro
Jul 24, 2014, 3:34 PM
The next agenda just came online for the next DRC!

26-story, 300ft for 230 W. 5th! No renderings posted yet. Probably in a week or two we'll get a link to the additional attachment.

http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=26660

Awesome. Cannot wait for the proposal renderings!
Correct me if I am wrong, but this location would not be affected if the FAA has their way, correct? It looks to be fairly South of the flight line.

PHXFlyer11
Jul 24, 2014, 4:37 PM
Awesome. Cannot wait for the proposal renderings!
Correct me if I am wrong, but this location would not be affected if the FAA has their way, correct? It looks to be fairly South of the flight line.

I am not certain, but it seems they are trying to fast track this build before the rules take effect.

I think this would be more of a hazard than West 6th, as it is further North, thus closer to the south most runway/flight path.

CrestedSaguaro
Jul 24, 2014, 9:27 PM
I am not certain, but it seems they are trying to fast track this build before the rules take effect.

I think this would be more of a hazard than West 6th, as it is further North, thus closer to the south most runway/flight path.

Actually, I've always noticed the south runway flights come in over Marina Heights and the north runway flights over the future Grand at Papago. Do flights actually come in south of the Butte? Maybe I may need to pay more attention? :shrug:

Jjs5056
Jul 24, 2014, 11:49 PM
I wonder what part of planning projects need to be in order to be grandfathered around any FAA restrictions? I'd argue once the property owner invests in the design, they should be able to complete it.

Actually, it seems like the State or a property owner could sue the FAA due to Prop 207, no? For the FAA to diminish the value of these properties in such a way seems like a huge legal issue even without adding the interference with an established state law.

In the meantime, with Hanover and this building hopefully come to life along 5th, and it also serving as the main vehicular (and probably pedestrian) corridor for western neighborhoods into downtown, and those from the east entering the developments along Farmer, I wish something could be done with the 'smoke shop' building at 14 W 5th (all white brick), CenturyLink across the street, and Hayden Square Condos.

Hayden's ground level being used for parking is such odd construction, but replacing the corner bays with light retail would do do wonders at breaking up this huge stretch of blank anti-pedestrian elements. Modern paint job and signage on the first, along with a designed permeable pavement-added plaza on the current parking lot (customers can park in the back; employees at the new Hanover garage) for food carts and seating/landscape would help immensely. Meanwhile, I don't understand what goes on in these fortress CenturyLink buildings (see Adams/3rd Ave downtown for a similar one), but if real windows can't be added, even faux sets of windows (a la CityScape) with awnings would help break up 3-4 stories of concrete.

nickw252
Jul 25, 2014, 12:08 AM
IActually, it seems like the State or a property owner could sue the FAA due to Prop 207, no? For the FAA to diminish the value of these properties in such a way seems like a huge legal issue even without adding the interference with an established state law.

FAA regulations are not affected by AZ Prop. 207. The FAA is a Federal agency while Prop. 207 is a state law.

As such, Prop. 207 can only require the state to justly compensate the property owner when State regulations diminnish real property values. Prop. 207 cannot prevent the Federal government from enacting Federal regulations that may diminish real property values.

Moreover, the first exception to Prop 207 is that it:

"does not apply to land use laws that:

1. Limit or prohibit a use or division of real property for the protection of the public's health and safety, including rules and regulations relating to fire and building codes, health and sanitation, transportation or traffic control, solid or hazardous waste, and pollution control;"
These proposed height limitations are clearly for the protection of the public health and safety regarding transportation.

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/12/01134.htm&Title=12&DocType=ARS

HX_Guy
Jul 25, 2014, 12:13 AM
Yep, more Tempe construction news, because Tempe is kicking ass. :)

Lennar looks to build 395-unit Tempe apartment complex east of ASU

Big national home builder Lennar Corp. (NYSE: LEN) continues its push into the local multifamily marketplace.
Miami-based Lennar has plans for a 395-unti apartment complex east of Arizona State University in Tempe, according to city of Tempe documents.
The five-story apartment development would be located at Dorsey Lane and Apache Boulevard in Tempe on the Metro light rail system.

It would sit on on 6.7 acres and be called The Hayden at Dorsey Station.

Lennar already has a 328-unit luxury development under construction on Tempe Town Lake and has apartment plans for a vacant parcel at McDowell Road and Central Avenue in Phoenix.

Business Real Estate Weekly of Arizona reports construction could start in 2015 with a $65 million construction price tag. Lennar will also need to acquire two parcels with some existing buildings and get Tempe zoning approvals for the deal to go through, according to BREW.

Tempe has seen substantial apartment activity with sales of existing properties, proposed new units and some projects under construction. Many of those complexes cater to ASU students. Lennar officials and representative could not immediately be reached for comment.

Lennar is one of the largest home builders in the U.S., but is has been making big forays into the apartments in Phoenix and other cities.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2014/07/24/lennar-looks-to-build-395-unit-tempe-apartment.html

Spitfiredude
Jul 25, 2014, 3:16 AM
Actually, I've always noticed the south runway flights come in over Marina Heights and the north runway flights over the future Grand at Papago. Do flights actually come in south of the Butte? Maybe I may need to pay more attention? :shrug:

Planes do not come in from the south. I still live at W6, and its so rare I ever see that happen. They turn in from the north at about Riverview and come in straight from the east into downtown Tempe. I am very annoyed with this FAA business. What a nuisance on downtown Tempe. & what bad timing.

Jjs5056
Jul 25, 2014, 5:18 AM
Thanks, Nick. I guess I knew the answer that Federal > State, but given how the overall attitude has seemed to be that the state would not use eminent domain or go near anything that would open them up to a Prop 207 suit, I'm just surprised there isn't even more outrage - including that from property owners themselves.

Yep, the Tempe "mega list" shows this one in planning mode:

THE HAYDEN @ DORSEY STATION
1221 E. Apache Blvd
MIXED-USE / RES / RETAIL
6.7 acres
318,976 sq foot building
398 beds
5 stories
Density: 59.4

Next one to look out for on the Apache Corridor would probably be:
THE TERRACES
1325 S. Terrace Rd
MIXED-USE / RES / RETAIL / PARKING
3.69 acres
324,221 sq foot building
169 beds
110'
Density: 45.8

110 - is that about 7 stories? Will be interesting to see which of these projects ends up being truly mixed use with retail, and which are being listed as such because of a leasing office/gym facing the street. 7 stories sounds good to me for Apache; I think this lot is where a Car Wash currently sits; a triangular-shaped piece of land on the south side of Apache. Hope it does in fact include retail - it's very close to 922 Place, which has its retail filled and The District, which is pretty dense, IIRC, and could conceivably help support business. Either way, the corridor is looking to be in good shape with all these projects between Rural and McClintock! I hope they're mostly market rate, or at least come without the typical student package (furnished, roommate selection, etc.) which may as well be student housing.

Jjs5056
Jul 25, 2014, 7:03 AM

Ah, this rendering has me completely thrown off. I was looking at the background: what appears to be an actual street on the left side, and building with greenery and blue roof which matches 1st street; and, the curve in the sidewalk lines up perfectly with that... but, I just now saw that water-tower structure and remember reading that the south end was being renovated the most/where parking would go/etc., which would mean this view is looking west from behind the development... I assume demolition is complete; anyone in the area able to confirm?

If from the back/east, the path along the tracks is new and would be coming from the parking area and it's hard to tell what the Farmer frontage will look like. If the opposite slope of the roofline was left in place (and not stripped to the beams like the back was), is that the main part of the restaurant? With the water-tower building housing the private rooms? Hard to picture everything fitting now knowing that the middle is a patio.

Slightly sad at how much was gutted - I hope the original barn doors toward the south and dormer windows in the middle sections made it past the wrecking ball.

For a development (Farmer Arts) that has failed to get going, why demolish portions of a building that could be used later? And, why convert interior spaces into a patio when there is so much open land that could be used to balance true open space with the sea of parking sure to accompany this project? It's great that the patio is so large and expansive toward the east, but I would've much preferred it along the north/south to liven up Farmer.

**Still happy that Fox is investing in downtown, and on Farmer no less.**

asugrad
Jul 25, 2014, 2:42 PM
Thanks, Nick. I guess I knew the answer that Federal > State, but given how the overall attitude has seemed to be that the state would not use eminent domain or go near anything that would open them up to a Prop 207 suit, I'm just surprised there isn't even more outrage - including that from property owners themselves.

Yep, the Tempe "mega list" shows this one in planning mode:

THE HAYDEN @ DORSEY STATION
1221 E. Apache Blvd
MIXED-USE / RES / RETAIL
6.7 acres
318,976 sq foot building
398 beds
5 stories
Density: 59.4

Next one to look out for on the Apache Corridor would probably be:
THE TERRACES
1325 S. Terrace Rd
MIXED-USE / RES / RETAIL / PARKING
3.69 acres
324,221 sq foot building
169 beds
110'
Density: 45.8

110 - is that about 7 stories? Will be interesting to see which of these projects ends up being truly mixed use with retail, and which are being listed as such because of a leasing office/gym facing the street. 7 stories sounds good to me for Apache; I think this lot is where a Car Wash currently sits; a triangular-shaped piece of land on the south side of Apache. Hope it does in fact include retail - it's very close to 922 Place, which has its retail filled and The District, which is pretty dense, IIRC, and could conceivably help support business. Either way, the corridor is looking to be in good shape with all these projects between Rural and McClintock! I hope they're mostly market rate, or at least come without the typical student package (furnished, roommate selection, etc.) which may as well be student housing.

The Terraces is actually a project specifically for Sororities at ASU. Although it is not being built by ASU, it is endorsed. The building was supposed to be 16-19 stories featuring one Sorority per floor, but the neighborhood shot the idea down saying it was too tall (same people as the Gracies incident) and it had to be redesigned and presented as two 8 story buildings. I do not know where it stands as of today, but it would have been nice to see more height along Apache and the light rail since that area already has some decent height

DevilsRider
Jul 25, 2014, 3:01 PM

The address for the Hayden @ Dorsey Station seems to be the Days Inn on the south side of Apache. Rough square footage calculations place the entire Days Inn property and the dirt lot it surrounds at just over 6.7 acres, so maybe they actually do plan to demolish and replace? Definitely no big loss if so, and not surprising that it's only 5 stories, with the single-family housing directly abutting the property.

Unfortunate height directly next to the light rail station, but the 8 stories proposed for the Terraces give hope that future redevelopment of the properties at the northwest corner of the station (opposite side from this one) could be in the 8-10 range. I'm looking at you, giant parking lot behind Pita Jungle!

dtnphx
Jul 25, 2014, 3:36 PM
There are renderings with this article, but it's the same style seen in virtually every other development with the exception that their going to be 5 floors instead of the normal 4. Yippy.

LENNAR ASSEMBLING SITE NEAR ASU IN TEMPE TO DEVELOP 395 APARTMENTS

http://www.brewaz.com/content/index_story_free.php?story_id=9490&volume_num=XX&issue_num=29&issue_date=July

Jjs5056
Jul 25, 2014, 4:53 PM
The Terraces is actually a project specifically for Sororities at ASU. Although it is not being built by ASU, it is endorsed. The building was supposed to be 16-19 stories featuring one Sorority per floor, but the neighborhood shot the idea down saying it was too tall (same people as the Gracies incident) and it had to be redesigned and presented as two 8 story buildings. I do not know where it stands as of today, but it would have been nice to see more height along Apache and the light rail since that area already has some decent height

Ah, thanks. We have heard a lot about the 'sorority tower.' This is bad news overall, but expected given what happened with Gracie's. I don't think 8 stories will even fly with these neighborhoods, and it's crap. This isn't Paradise Valley. Apache was always an urban corridor - now, developers are trying to turn it into a mixed income, diverse one rather than a blighted, poor one, and these 'hoods would rather things stay as is? Because that's what will happen if 3 floors is the max (4 was too tall for Gracie's). This one seems even more ludicrous because it looks as though Spence separates the project from single-story homes. I hope 8 is truly the compromise, and not just the developer's next offer.

Not that I think a 19 story sorority tower is a good idea; I think the area is way too saturated with student-only housing and needs more market rate that caters to students, but still lets new grads, young professionals, etc. move in and make Apache an affordable corridor for all, seeing as nothing but luxury seems to be proposed directly downtown, and Apache will soon have two forms of mass transit.

That said, if it's going to be ASU-backed regardless, fingers crossed that somehow 8 stories passes. This corridor cannot succeed with 3-4 story developments.

The address for the Hayden @ Dorsey Station seems to be the Days Inn on the south side of Apache. Rough square footage calculations place the entire Days Inn property and the dirt lot it surrounds at just over 6.7 acres, so maybe they actually do plan to demolish and replace? Definitely no big loss if so, and not surprising that it's only 5 stories, with the single-family housing directly abutting the property.

Unfortunate height directly next to the light rail station, but the 8 stories proposed for the Terraces give hope that future redevelopment of the properties at the northwest corner of the station (opposite side from this one) could be in the 8-10 range.

DevilsRider - you're right; even if they acquired all the single family homes to the east, they'd run into more across the street and face opposition. This is still early in the process for both project, so don't be surprised to see the 5 and 8 stories both reduced after neighborhood complaints. If this corridor were being developed correctly, 5 stories would rise adjacent to the single-family homes across Cedar (with the ones immediately adjacent being acquired), rising to 8 stories as it grew westward over the Sonoran apartments, meeting with The Terraces. But, then again, Tempe is cutting commercial, setback and density requirements ADJACENT to stations, so I'm not surprised. This is the city that allowed 3rd Street to become 1 giant garage downtown, when it had potential to be one of the busiest LRT stops.

Is Todd&Associates responsible for the majority of the current apartments being developed? I'm sorry, but we need to start importing some out of state firms or get stricter with design standards or SOMETHING. These designs all look absolutely identical. I have seen some great local portfolios, yet we keep ending up with the same earthtone stucco lowrise with the same articulations. Glad to see 4,000+ sq ft of retail confirmed. If The Terraces happens, this will be a very dense area that has already shown strong retail vacancies.

I'm looking at you, giant parking lot behind Pita Jungle!

I'd love to see that complex undergo a Gracie's transformation: L-shape with 2 or 3 stories of apartments above hiding a parking garage. Or, since I'd hate to lose any of the good businesses located there, maybe just redevelop the perimeter with parallel parking and valet, and create a large green space for patios and gathering for all these new units going up in the area. Excess parking could go in the lot you mentioned to the north (development of which could be phased; Phase I could be an underground garage and perhaps the lowest set of apartments at the north end?)

I think I'd rather see the Food City lot dealt with first since it it is literally next to the stop, and is deep enough that hopefully a step-back design would satisfy all involved, but really - unless you live in the neighborhoods nearby - I don't think you can go wrong picking a lot in the area for a project.

MegaBass
Jul 26, 2014, 6:03 PM
Going to take some photos of Tempe/ASU area on Monday.

DevilsRider
Jul 27, 2014, 4:03 PM
A couple grainy iPhone shots...looks like the two built up so far are about the same height, and the west-most building is now above ground level. Man, those five cranes all together...

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3872/14571530928_94a7207d73.jpg https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2935/14758166225_67dc9835ab.jpg

DevilsRider
Jul 27, 2014, 4:13 PM
So I went by and took a few shots of the Culinary Dropout progress. Based on the site layout, I think that the sidewalk in the front of the rendering (http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/2014/07/culinary_dropout_at_farmer_arts_district_fox_restaurant_concepts_largest_project_to_date.php) is on Farmer, with 1st street behind the building and water tower. That building would have to be new construction (and somewhat small to fit), with the larger existing warehouse being out of frame to the right of the rendering and the "Yard" in the middle of the two.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5585/14571468330_91dc97a684.jpg https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5562/14571498899_6862aaa24b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5583/14571468570_e4f0b991c8.jpg https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3913/14571714687_68f89ee8cb.jpg

Jjs5056
Jul 28, 2014, 3:36 AM
MegaBass - if these places are in your path, would you mind snapping whatever you can? I won't be back for quite a while, or else I wouldn't be so annoying: SkyWater Lofts (former Argo; which now lists only a gourmet Coffee Bar as an amenity... hoping the food truck area and bike shop are still in the mix!), College Avenue Streetscape, Hub II, Hanover Site. Thanks in advance for whatever you get around to!

Devils -Thank you so much for posting these! How's the Marina Heights Facade looking? It looked a bit shinier (and more like the renderings) in the other photos... getting a CityScape/Palomar vibe from these and hoping it's just a matter of sunlight/reflection. :)

As for Culinary/Yard:
1) Happy to see a lot of the details left in place in spite of how much demo work was done - the copper-trimmed (or rusted metal; either way, great looking) doors and windows were the best part of the building, so I'm glad they were salvaged, even if reduced.

2) I am still lost in terms of perspective with the rendering vs. real life; that water tower was originally on the south end of the site - is your photo showing that it's been removed and brought to the north end? If so, you have to be correct. But, that means not only will there be a new building surrounding the water tower, but that the copper-like sloped roof constructed over the patio is all new construction, too. I'm all for this being the case... but it would be much less expensive for the view to be from the tracks and the sloped roof being the east side of the middle building (with the vertical windows facing west) - which allows for the northern-most building's windows to also fit with the perspective. Finally, why knock down any of the building if you need to then do so much additional construction?

In a way, it doesn't matter - I'm happy with the state of the warehouse and what remains, which is the most important part. I guess knowing which side parking is on would also be important, as the north side is much preferred, but south side more likely. Again, thanks for the pics; mystery might not be solved, but excited to see it open and hope it spurs some more development along the Farmer Arts District.

Jackdavis4
Jul 28, 2014, 5:26 AM
I drove by Hanover the other day and I think were underestimating this one. Brick Facade is great for the Mill area and 6 stories in an urban area is a lot taller than it seems in the renderings! Very excited for this one!

Jjs5056
Jul 28, 2014, 10:48 AM
I drove by Hanover the other day and I think were underestimating this one. Brick Facade is great for the Mill area and 6 stories in an urban area is a lot taller than it seems in the renderings! Very excited for this one!

Can you actually see the brick facade yet? They seem to have templated designs that they choose from, and several that look almost identical to Tempe's ended up looking incredibly cheap - almost painted on as a faux finish. If they used a higher quality material, that's of course good news.

You also hit the nail on the head regarding another big issue: it isn't 6 stories. The garage is actually taller than the apartments will be. Those will be only 5 stories, which has a place downtown, but not next to the tallest building in the city, especially when presenting blank walls to those towers and to 5th street, which will become a major east-west connector street.

Neighborhoods to the west continue to develop - Farmer Lofts II, Encore, Skywater/Argo, Culinary Dropout/The Madison, etc. - and 5th is the obvious choice to go between that area and downtown, as the only other options from Farmer are University, which is heavily congested, and 1st, which doesn't look nearly as safe for any pedestrians/bikers and is out of the way for vehicles. There will also be streetcar on Mill and Ash in the future, and a potential 300' residential tower at Ash/5th.

So, while it's great that 7th and 6th are so active, both are dead-ends, and 5th is the only street that will connect those developments with downtown, and continue east all the way to - and through - ASU. Yet, the most important segment of the road is a pedestrian nightmare. I avoid the north side completely, as it's a giant parking lot between Farmer and Myrtle, at which point it becomes a hobo gathering spot because the anti-urban building there has 0 entrances or windows to give the impression of safety.

In spite of the most evil building in downtown Tempe that lacks a single window or door on its 4-story concrete facade, CenturyLink at Maple/5th, the south side is a little less trecherous, but the street is a disaster and Hanover placing even 1 or 2 retail spaces near Maple would've helped create a safer and nice experience on at least one side of the street.

DevilsRider
Jul 28, 2014, 2:45 PM
Devils -Thank you so much for posting these! How's the Marina Heights Facade looking? It looked a bit shinier (and more like the renderings) in the other photos... getting a CityScape/Palomar vibe from these and hoping it's just a matter of sunlight/reflection. :)

I took these early yesterday morning, when it was still incredibly dusty and overcast out, so take the reflections/shininess with a grain of salt :)

As for Culinary/Yard:
2) I am still lost in terms of perspective with the rendering vs. real life; that water tower was originally on the south end of the site - is your photo showing that it's been removed and brought to the north end? If so, you have to be correct. But, that means not only will there be a new building surrounding the water tower, but that the copper-like sloped roof constructed over the patio is all new construction, too. I'm all for this being the case... but it would be much less expensive for the view to be from the tracks and the sloped roof being the east side of the middle building (with the vertical windows facing west) - which allows for the northern-most building's windows to also fit with the perspective. Finally, why knock down any of the building if you need to then do so much additional construction?

The water tower was on its side on the south end of the construction zone. It looked like it was just put there to be out of the way. There was significant concrete work on the north end (and I'm no developer or engineer, so I can't tell you with authority what any of it was for), but I would think that the parking area would be asphalt, not concrete, and that the concrete work on the north end was for a building and patio area. I could be completely wrong though, there's still lot of mystery to the site! Also, on the bottom left photo I posted (which is looking NE from the southern end of the site), there's a big wide driveway, which is likely for a parking area. And speaking of parking, they essentially matched the existing on-street parallel parking on the west side with some of their own, which should provide a good buffer for pedestrians from what traffic Farmer does get.

PHX31
Jul 28, 2014, 6:15 PM

There was a most outspoken NIMBY that complained about losing his tiny view of A-mountain. Now, the two 8-story buildings have been essentially given the OK by the community , so the next step is going to be going through the City and then council to get their approvals. They are planning retail along Apache. Their plan is for groundbreaking in July of next year.

Jackdavis4
Jul 28, 2014, 10:48 PM
The facade has not started to go up but, I know some of Hanovers other properties and I am fairly confident that they will deliver a pretty smoking property. Also I am working across the street from the Alta Tempe apartments and they are up to the third story out of five I believe.

Jjs5056
Jul 30, 2014, 3:06 AM
Devils - thanks for the additional info and glad to know I'm just being an idiot and that the site is as crazy as it looks in pics.

The facade has not started to go up but, I know some of Hanovers other properties and I am fairly confident that they will deliver a pretty smoking property. Also I am working across the street from the Alta Tempe apartments and they are up to the third story out of five I believe.

I can't keep up - what are the Alta Tempe apartments?

I know many of Hanover's other properties, as well, and while their highrise and mixed use projects are really great, they've turned to a cost-savings model for their lowrise apartments which results in building identical structures in much different environments, using cheaper-looking finishes, and are dead zones on all sides of the entrance. This image could be a photo of any suburb in the country without the faded W6 and Courtyard. A desert environment needs even more consideration/adaptation when it comes to design; I mean, they aren't going to plant Elms as shown, but you'd think that would be thought of and shown in project renderings? ( http://azbex.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Hanover.jpg )

Speaking of trees, I just noticed on Google Maps how many have have been replaced near the 5th/Mill intersection; Valley Art, the Post Office, etc. are much less shaded now - do these replacement trees really have as fast of a growth rate as the city promised? The only reason for these replacements was to reduce bird droppings, right? Seems like a bad deal, IMO.

Jjs5056
Jul 30, 2014, 3:20 AM
Good news and an action I wish was taken more frequently since clearly it's allowed:

Tempe Denies 358 unit SouthBank Development Plan: http://azbex.com/tempe-denies-358-unit-southbank-development-plan/

LOL that the council originally told them to make a brown stucco apartment with faux brick less 'stock' looking, and that gray design is what they came up with. Good for Tempe. I'd rather the lakefront stay vacant than wasted on buildings like this, as availability slowly dwindles.

DevilsRider
Jul 30, 2014, 2:52 PM
Good news and an action I wish was taken more frequently since clearly it's allowed:

Tempe Denies 358 unit SouthBank Development Plan: http://azbex.com/tempe-denies-358-unit-southbank-development-plan/

This is excellent news, and I'm proud of our City Council for taking this (sadly) unusual action.

This generic 4-story design makes a whole lot of sense as "filler" infill, such as, perhaps, in ASU's Stadium District once that gets going, or along University a la the Alta Apartments at Dorsey and University (and seeing something like this midblock somewhere it's being done well, like Denver, would not be out of place). But on a prime lot on the lakefront, with such high potential, visibility, and allowance? No sense at all. Bravo, Council! :tup:

MegaBass
Jul 30, 2014, 8:41 PM
Tempe Golf Course Soon To Be A Farm And Garden (http://kjzz.org/content/39514/tempe-golf-course-soon-be-farm-and-garden)

The city of Tempe has found a new way to become a greener community. It recently signed a 10-year lease agreement to turn one of its golf courses into a farm and garden. It’s a plan for the city to turn a financially draining property into an environmentally rich project.

It’s early in the morning and the sprinklers are already watering the green across this 63-acre land. It’s the Rio Salado Golf course north of the 202. But the sprinklers are not preparing the greenway for golfers. This nine-hole course is getting prepped to be a community farm.

"What I’m gonna do is try to bring this land back to make it healthy. I use no chemicals. I use bio stimulants, compost, microbes,” Ken Singh said. The golf course was turned over to him earlier in July.

He’s no stranger to the Valley. He’s the owner of an organic farm in Scottsdale and has helped several agencies get their gardens up and running. He wants to make this place an oasis for Tempe and Valley residents.

“So that’s what I’m working on," Singh said. "That’s why the city is being very nice to me to give me the time. Because I said 'Folks, you can paint something pretty but if the inside isn’t healthy and well then families and kids aren’t gonna get the benefits of it.'”

As he takes me on a tour of the grounds on a golf cart, Singh said the place needs of a lot of work. The trees and shrubs need trimming. Large parts of the grass and soil are brown and dry. He and his crew have spent the past three weeks digging, excavating and rebuilding. He points to the stakes with blue flags scattered around the property which he says will help guide him.

“So see, I’ve had the flood district stake this out because this is the flood wash, the flood plain and then there’s certain things I can do up here,” Singh said.

This six-foot-tall, white-bearded, long-haired farmer comes from a long line of agriculturists. His father and uncle taught him about farming, making compost and respecting mother nature. He says the plan here is to develop rich soils in designated areas to grow specific fruits, vegetables and plants. He also has plans to create camping spots and picnic and play areas to give residents a place to walk around, eat and relax.

“You go from an apartment to a garage, to a parking lot, to a building, to dinner," Singh said. "Look right now. I don’t know about you but I feel real good looking at that. Means I could run. I could shout. I could do summersaults…listen. Uhhmmm!”

“There are a lot of amenities that a city provides that don’t make money, and golf courses have been one of them," Singh said. "Our golf courses really haven’t made us money. In fact, up until we restructured our other two golf courses it was running a deficit of about $600 thousand a year."

Onnie Shekerjian is Tempe’s vice mayor. She, along with several city council members, spearheaded the idea of doing something different with this place. When the concept of turning this golf course into a farm was put up for a vote, the council approved it unanimously.

“It isn’t just about money making, but even if you were to take a look at just the economic bottom line. Being healthy, there is nothing more economical than making sure that your people are healthy.”

So the plan is to open the first phase of the farm and garden in 2015 and make this 42-square mile land-locked city seem a little larger and more environmentally connected

DevilsRider
Jul 30, 2014, 9:47 PM
Tempe Golf Course Soon To Be A Farm And Garden (http://kjzz.org/content/39514/tempe-golf-course-soon-be-farm-and-garden)

Apparently City Council approved this at their May 22 meeting; I'm surprised it's just getting coverage now. It's a very interesting adaptive reuse in the middle of a floodplain. I really like how Scottsdale has turned pretty much all of their floodplain into a linear park, but given the primarily industrial uses lining this section (McKellips to Curry), a linear park might not make much sense at this time, and an urban farm/experience could just work out here! At the very least, it's better than a golf course.

So counting Karsten's (though it still stands today), we're looking at 3 golf courses within 5 miles of each other shutting down and being redeveloped? (The third being where the new Cubs stadium stands in Mesa) I like it.

CrestedSaguaro
Jul 30, 2014, 9:50 PM

LOL that the council originally told them to make a brown stucco apartment with faux brick less 'stock' looking, and that gray design is what they came up with. Good for Tempe. I'd rather the lakefront stay vacant than wasted on buildings like this, as availability slowly dwindles.

"zoning permits heights of 292 feet and 252 feet on the two parcels LPC proposes to develop"

I LOVE this! A 292 foot development on this parcel would rock! I can only hope Tempe pushes for a development of this scale and doesn't give in down the road to something less than stellar.

ASUSunDevil
Jul 31, 2014, 4:47 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2014/07/31/tempe-urban-transformation-downtown/13395229/