PDA

View Full Version : Tempe Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117

alexico
Dec 20, 2013, 12:33 AM
haha^^^ same view I have when looking down :cheers:

Spitfiredude
Dec 20, 2013, 9:32 AM
^ What a coincidence.

In other news, it looks as though they are full throttle on the AMC renovations. They had a couple tractors out front this morning and put up a construction fence. Zipps is being built right now too.

PHX31
Dec 23, 2013, 5:31 PM
Has anyone heard anything about the project being planned at Terrace and Apache? Two 8-story buildings housing a bunch of sororities? I don't remember it being in this thread, but I'm not 100% sure about all of the proposals along Terrace from Rural to Apache.

Maybe someone with a lot of knowledge of the area can post some info... I know there was the big one near the Rural light rail station on the east side of Rural on Terrace. Then there was the "flatiron" looking one on Terrace and Lemon. Then this possible one in the planning stages at Apache. Is that right?

Jjs5056
Dec 23, 2013, 6:18 PM
If you look through Tempe's new General Plan, you'll see they've adopted/want to adopt new zoning for areas along Apache that are adjacent to "character" neighborhoods, as a result of the Gracie's debacle. This project was referenced several times, so I would imagine it will face opposition and be scaled back significantly if the developer even thinks it's worth the fight/effort.

And, yes, that's a good summary. 8th and Rural has 2 towers planned in phases, but has yet to take off for a few years, though they did finally demolish the commercial building somewhat recently. The "Flatiron" structure is "The Grand," and has also been quiet for a bit.

PHX31
Dec 23, 2013, 6:44 PM
Thanks for the info.

I heard there was already opposition, and that it was already scaled back from 16 stories.

PHXFlyer11
Dec 23, 2013, 7:15 PM
I drove by The Grand site the other day. No movement, no signs.

Tempe_Duck
Dec 23, 2013, 8:06 PM
I drove by The Grand site the other day. No movement, no signs.

Where is it located? I haven't heard of this project yet?

MegaBass
Dec 24, 2013, 1:29 AM
Where is it located? I haven't heard of this project yet?

1010 E Lemon (between Lemon and Terrace) (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=6328675&postcount=4243)

Jjs5056
Dec 24, 2013, 3:03 AM
I'm not sure we'll be seeing any of these. I'm surprised that Hub II is being proposed, but for the sake of that part of downtown and the glut of empty retail, I hope that one at least gets built since it is just increasing the density of an already-built project. Otherwise, I have to think the supply of student housing has finally met demand... Until Vista del Sol, there were literally no options for upperclassmen within walking distance of campus, but that landscape has changed quite significantly and not only is it less attractive to developers, it's going to reach a point of oversaturation that can't be healthy for the city. You can't have that much of a contrast between peak and off-peak times of the year in terms of population, especially when thinking of retail support and vitality. Arizona has a built-in contrast given that it is going to be less walkable in the summer due to the heat/heat island, but I don't see how businesses can succeed if the population difference between October and July grows larger and larger.

Once the office market catches up (for example, Marina Heights), hopefully we'll see a trend toward market rate projects to balance all of these student projects. Apache, especially, is a great opportunity for diverse, affordable residential options right on the light rail, and I don't think sorority towers are necessarily the best longterm use of its properties. Though, I also don't think limiting height along that corridor is the best longterm use, either... If 4 stories was a struggle at Gracie's, I hope that isn't the precedent for height restrictions.

ASUSunDevil
Dec 24, 2013, 3:56 PM
Jjs5056 just keeps the negativity coming.

KevininPhx
Dec 24, 2013, 4:36 PM

:yes:

Leo the Dog
Dec 24, 2013, 4:42 PM

Sometimes the truth is hard to hear.

I find his posts to be well thought out and usually brings up many points that are never posted on SSP.

nickw252
Dec 24, 2013, 5:33 PM
Sometimes the truth is hard to hear.

I find his posts to be well thought out and usually brings up many points that are never posted on SSP.

I don't always agree with JJs but his posts are always well thought out and reasoned.

Spitfiredude
Dec 25, 2013, 12:42 AM
Negative? I think he is completely correct. I talked to a friend who works at 922 Place, he said that it was difficult to lease out this year. Also, he said last month they still had vacancies. Also, earlier in the year I remember the Republic having an article describing the struggles of older student housing options filling vacancies (Vista Del Sol).
I think there needs to be an increase in market rate projects and less student housing. I live in Tempe 365 days of the year and during the summer and winter months you can see the dramatic decline in business. I don't know if this affects business, but either way it's a little annoying how dead it is.

nickw252
Dec 27, 2013, 2:10 PM
The popular Chili's location in downtown Tempe will close its doors on January 8, ending a 25-year run as one the area's most stable restaurants.
Located at the southeast corner of Mill Avenue and University Drive since 1989, Chili's Tempe lasted through several periods of immense change in the downtown area near Arizona State University.
The restaurant also was allowed to stay even as ASU decided to boot out other businesses in the 10.5-acre plot of land at that corner, like the old Stabler's Market and Sack's Sandwiches.

ASU long has had big plans for the defunct strip mall at the high-profile location, but it stayed a dilapidated ghost-mall for many years -- with the Chili's on its grassy knoll -- as various development ideas sunk.

In July, though, USA Basketball announced that it had made a deal with ASU to build a $350 million new home at the site called USA Place. USA Basketball, headquartered in Colorado until the project is finished (possibly by 2015), trains and selects America's basketball Olympic teams in addition to promoting the sport in general. The massive development will include a 30,000-square-foot conference center, a 4,500-seat exhibition arena, a 330-room luxury hotel, a 500-unit apartment complex, and retail and office space.

Chili's corporate office confirmed for New Times that the Tempe location's doors will close at 2 p.m. Wednesday, January 8, the expiration date of a lease that isn't being renewed.

"We are very grateful to the loyal guests who have visited the restaurant over the years," company officials said in a statement.

Employees are being transferred to other locations.

"We're sad to be closing our doors, as this was a very popular restaurant to our local community," says Julie Flowers, Chili's spokeswoman.

As popular as Chili's was, USA Place is expected to draw 300,000 yearly visitors once it's completed. For Mill Avenue, which still has barren storefronts left over from the ravages of the Great Recession, the new development no doubt will be even better than bacon-wrapped shrimp.

UPDATE -- Flowers e-mailed just as we were finishing up this post with news of another closing. The Chili's at 2057 East Camelback Road will be shuttered on Monday, January 6, also to make way for new development, she says.

Don't stress if you like the chain, though -- after January 8, there will still be 24 Chili's in metro Phoenix.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/2013/12/chilis_tempe_location_closing.php

Hopefully construction is underway soon. I wasn't aware of any development at 20th and Camelback though. I really liked that location. It's unfortunate we're losing a unique location. Hopefully it's replaced with something better.

Leo the Dog
Dec 27, 2013, 5:48 PM
I'm pretty excited for Tempe with this project. Have there been any renderings?

MegaBass
Dec 27, 2013, 6:26 PM
I'm pretty excited for Tempe with this project. Have there been any renderings?

Future Cities renderings of USA Place (http://www.future-cities.us/projects/usaplace/)

HX_Guy
Dec 28, 2013, 1:24 AM
That looks pretty great...talk about transforming that area! The hotel is the tallest structure at 222'.

http://www.future-cities.us/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/2013-06-21-clear-rendering-MILL-UNIVERSITY.jpg

http://www.future-cities.us/wp-content/plugins/doptg/uploads/7cq4c7g1g3syNTYep61SHFd24ByrazrEL8BHPBWrNZZpehkd87WbkOPNSdEyBCkC6.jpg

http://www.future-cities.us/wp-content/plugins/doptg/uploads/w7p8Xm8M61bmzMm36EMtZEenRe2hEPx4Cd1cRpBSyNBfQmKwPML8G3H5xDBAraF8w.jpg

Leo the Dog
Dec 28, 2013, 4:20 AM
^^^Thanks!

The hotel should be an Omni from what I've read. They generally have nice properties, both urban settings and resorts.

phoenixwillrise
Dec 30, 2013, 6:36 PM
Didn't realize my comment over thinking Marina Heights was getting built in phases would be such a big deal. Thanks for the reassurance that it will all get built, and explaining the construction process for the project. There have just been so many stalled big-name projects in Tempe over the years... Makes it hard to not worrry. I still wish "phase 1" started a little further west, but no big deal.

"Resturants for employees along the river" is such a sad statement - not directed at you, but at the attitude toward all lakefront development. The restaurants and retail components should be for the community at large and integrated into the existing environment - in this case, connecting to both Rio Salado and the lake to allow visibility and access to all of the public. The lake is a community asset- the best community asset in the Valley- and development needs to respect that and build accordingly.

To the person asking about M7 - that is the empty lot south of the old Borders/new Stake n Shake. It was to house a large project called M7 with condos, a hotel, conference center, retail, etc. And, yes, the renderings are sad to look at. :(M

Second Crane going up at Marina Heights Today.

nickw252
Dec 30, 2013, 8:01 PM
M

Second Crane going up at Marina Heights Today.

I just checked the construction cam and the foundation for the second building is being dug and it will be a little further south because of the curvature of Rio Salado, but maybe a little closer to the road. The crane appears to be a tower crane the same height as the first tower crane (for now at least).

http://oxblue.com/open/ryancompanies/marinaheights

CrestedSaguaro
Dec 31, 2013, 4:47 PM
I just checked the construction cam and the foundation for the second building is being dug and it will be a little further south because of the curvature of Rio Salado, but maybe a little closer to the road. The crane appears to be a tower crane the same height as the first tower crane (for now at least).

Went by last night and it is 2 masts taller than the first crane. :tup:

asugrad
Jan 1, 2014, 1:32 AM
Fireworks from the worlds tallest building!
:cheers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2kyG8h8bz58

MegaBass
Jan 1, 2014, 7:55 PM
Now open: El Hefe Super Macho Taqueria in downtown Tempe (http://mouthbysouthwest.com/2013/12/31/now-open-el-hefe-super-macho-taqueria-in-downtown-tempe/)

Downtown Tempe’s newest destination – El Hefe Super Macho Taqueria – has opened on the southwest corner of Mill and Sixth. It takes over the former Canteen Modern Tequila Bar, which closed in October.

El Hefe offers a menu of tacos, tortas, and 20 kinds of margaritas, including a “beer-garita.”

It’s El Hefe’s second Valley location and third overall. The original debuted in Scottsdale in 2011; another opened in Chicago in May.

Although El Hefe Tempe had a soft opening Sunday, its 21-and-over grand opening starts at 5 p.m. today. After that, it’ll be open for lunch and dinner daily.

CrestedSaguaro
Jan 2, 2014, 7:02 PM
I went and checked out the State Farm/Marina Heights development yesterday on my day off and made a few observations after studying the construction site.

A. The first tower crane (shorter one) is constructing the short building second from the left in the rendering below.

B.The 2nd tower crane (taller one) is constructing the much larger 4th building from the left in the rendering.

C. They appear to be working on the foundation for a 3rd tower crane for the 5th building over from left.

http://azbex.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/State-Farm-Rendering-SE-view-586x450.jpg

The construction is really moving and after learning that the 1st tower crane is actually building the 2nd shortest building of the project, the scope/size of this development starts to become clear. I can't wait to see the third crane go up...hopefully very soon! :cheers:

alexico
Jan 6, 2014, 5:14 AM
Now open: El Hefe Super Macho Taqueria in downtown Tempe (http://mouthbysouthwest.com/2013/12/31/now-open-el-hefe-super-macho-taqueria-in-downtown-tempe/)

living in W6 I can hear the music from el-hefe. it is loud. no other bar/club on Mill was nearly as loud. on a holiday you could hear it but el-hefe is another level.

MegaBass
Jan 7, 2014, 4:23 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BdTwbCtCMAITwtt.jpg

Two cranes at Marina Heights

Credit: WSU Women's Rowing (https://twitter.com/Cougar_Rowing/status/420225012855881728/photo/1)

Spitfiredude
Jan 13, 2014, 6:24 AM
I just want to mention that I think there is a hydraulic lift for the second State Farm crane. Meaning it should grow in height in the future. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure it will.

Jjs5056
Jan 13, 2014, 11:37 PM
Very cool. I really hope the streetcar moves along quickly and that the Rio route is chosen; these first phase of buildings are more than .75 from the Mill and 3rd LRT stop, and USA Place is also a fair distance. Tall buildings do not equal urbanity.

Spitfiredude
Jan 14, 2014, 5:03 AM
So Bad Mother Cluckers is closed, abruptly. Didn't expect this one to happen since every time I passed it was pretty crowded. Anyway, it is up for sale with everything included (such as the kitchen equipment and seating). Also, does anyone know what is going into the retail/restaurant spot next to Mellow Mushroom? Behind it, next to the Chase office building and AMC..?

ASUSunDevil
Jan 14, 2014, 5:06 AM
So Bad Mother Cluckers is closed, abruptly. Didn't expect this one to happen since every time I passed it was pretty crowded. Anyway, it is up for sale with everything included (such as the kitchen equipment and seating). Also, does anyone know what is going into the retail/restaurant spot next to Mellow Mushroom? Behind it, next to the Chase office building and AMC..?

Zipps is going in just north of Mellow Mushroom. Not sure what/if anything is taking over the space that Grilled Expedition used to occupy.

rocksteady
Jan 14, 2014, 6:58 AM
So Bad Mother Cluckers is closed, abruptly. Didn't expect this one to happen since every time I passed it was pretty crowded. Anyway, it is up for sale with everything included (such as the kitchen equipment and seating). Also, does anyone know what is going into the retail/restaurant spot next to Mellow Mushroom? Behind it, next to the Chase office building and AMC..? The turnover on mill is astounding. I can no longer keep up with what's going in because before you know it is has closed down and something else is going in. Do these places just make bad deals or is there not enough business? I don't get it.

ASUSunDevil
Jan 14, 2014, 5:35 PM
The turnover on mill is astounding. I can no longer keep up with what's going in because before you know it is has closed down and something else is going in. Do these places just make bad deals or is there not enough business? I don't get it.

I think it's more about a bad concept than anything. Bad Mother Cluckers served mediocre chicken and had extremely cheap beer, probably making it difficult to turn a profit.

Julian Wright is basically the Sam Fox of Mill, he pairs modern concepts with really good food. Wright's restaurants haven't gone under (La Bocca, Handlebar, Gringo Star, Canteen/El Hefe). The old bars Rula Bula, Cue Club, Fat Tuesday, Tavern, Zuma etc. have all been there for a decade.

Mill has been lacking a good true sports bar for years. Majerle should have put a bar on Mill years ago - Zipps is going to do extremely well.

KevininPhx
Jan 14, 2014, 5:46 PM
I think it's more about a bad concept than anything. Bad Mother Cluckers served mediocre chicken and had extremely cheap beer, probably making it difficult to turn a profit.

Julian Wright is basically the Sam Fox of Mill, he pairs modern concepts with really good food. Wright's restaurants haven't gone under (La Bocca, Handlebar, Gringo Star, Canteen/El Hefe). The old bars Rula Bula, Cue Club, Fat Tuesday, Tavern, Zuma etc. have all been there for a decade.

Mill has been lacking a good true sports bar for years. Majerle should have put a bar on Mill years ago - Zipps is going to do extremely well.

This is very common in university towns. Business plans often overestimate how interested students will be in their food and how much they will spend. Crowded restaurants are often losing loads of money because of this.

Spitfiredude
Jan 14, 2014, 8:37 PM
Zipps is going in just north of Mellow Mushroom. Not sure what/if anything is taking over the space that Grilled Expedition used to occupy.

Its not Zipps, its directly to the west of Mellow Mushroom. Not sure if that's the space you're talking about?

MegaBass
Jan 14, 2014, 11:44 PM

Arizona’s small poultry market (high cost) and deserted during semester breaks.

asugrad
Jan 15, 2014, 3:03 AM

I've been told Bad Mother Cluckers closed down do to an underage raid by the liquor board. They got caught serving to minors. I personally liked the place and it was always packed!

asugrad
Jan 15, 2014, 3:21 AM
http://www.thesundevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30300&ATCLID=209361130

Finally renovating the stadium, looks....interesting

HX_Guy
Jan 15, 2014, 4:37 AM
I thought they were building a new one?

phxSUNSfan
Jan 15, 2014, 4:53 AM
I thought they were building a new one?

There were never plans to completely build a new stadium. ASU's options were to either reinforce the structure and fix flaws in the waterproofing, especially in the steel structure, or to completely redo the upper bowl and decks. The first option, reinforcing the structure, would have cost $90 million. Rebuilding the upper decks and adding a huge shade canopy that looked like a maxi pad would have cost more than $300 million. The University made the right decision and opted for middle of the road: reinforcing the structure, redoing most of the upper deck (especially the East Grandstand) and modernizing the entire facility at a cost of $210 million.

Spitfiredude
Jan 15, 2014, 4:55 AM
I try to stay as anonymous as possible with my identity, but working at SDA, this is what I was told would happen. The athletic dept doesn't have money to completely tear down the stadium and redo it. So they will somewhat low ball it. We will see how it goes. The press box is in real need of renovations as well. I'm surprised they're not getting rid of it. I hope the academic center gets revamped. It is out of date as well. Odd to take a recruit through there and then go to the third floor/basement and show him an outstanding renovated football facility.

Details in the release:
Replace lower bowl tread on east and west sides, which would allow for more legroom, and seats and benches with seatbacks.

• All public areas (concourse, restrooms, concessions, ramps, etc.) will be raised and rebuilt with substantially more fixtures and services provided to be consistent with modern football venues across the country.

• Escalators will connect various concourse levels.

• Addition of a new state-of-the-art video board to be installed on the north plaza, as well as a new sound system.

• A unique terrace will be built on the north plaza where concerts and community events can be hosted.

• Current press box will be enhanced and new kitchen installed.

• Upper deck will be reconfigured to increase height between concourses, allowing the development of a new premium seating level for new suites and club space.

• Club area will be air-conditioned and the club seating will be open-air.

• A new student section will be built and plans include a student club area.

• Most unique element of the renovation will be the addition of a “scrim” or video ribbon on the outside of the stadium. Videos and images can be projected off the stadium throughout the year to passers by on either side of the venue.

• SDA is evaluating adding the following to the scope of the stadium project: renovating the football facilities (locker room, sports medicine/training, weight room, equipment room, recruiting center, and office space) and completely revamping the Sun Devil Athletics Academic Center

The good news is that the team will stay in Tempe, which won't knock the economy. Also, they won't be placing that worthless canopy over it. If they were gonna do that, they should have just spent an additional 50-100 million and made it an indoor stadium.

As for the timeline, it is ideal, but seeing how initially we were told they would knock out the north EZ after the 2012 season...we will see.

I do love the idea of the video ribbon and everything on the exterior, but I feel that money could be used for other things in the stadium. If they are truly committed though, it won't need to be used for the interior.

Just to list things in the order they are expected to open:

2014:

AMC Theater
Apartments next to TAC
College Avenue Commons

2015:

Hanover Apartments
USA Place
Omni Hotel
State Farm Phase 1
Hub Phase 2?

2016:

HFL 3?
State Farm Phase 2?
Hub Phase 2?
Street Car (most likely connects State Farm to Rural/Apache)

2017:

Sun Devil Stadium
Completion of State Farm

My wishlist:

Another corporate headquarters announcement for space near Mill (20-40 floor building)
University Square revamped proposal
Residential/hotel component at 7th and Mill (15-30 floor)
Commencement of Hayden Harbor > South Bank proposal

rocksteady
Jan 15, 2014, 5:06 AM
duplicate post. sorry

phxSUNSfan
Jan 15, 2014, 5:11 AM
• Most unique element of the renovation will be the addition of a “scrim” or video ribbon on the outside of the stadium. Videos and images can be projected off the stadium throughout the year to passers by on either side of the venue.

I've seen this feature (scrim) on stadiums in Europe and they look amazing. I'm also excited they won't be building a canopy ("roof") over SDS.

Spitfiredude
Jan 15, 2014, 5:14 AM
http://azbex.com/450m-usa-place-breaks-ground-in-february/

Hell yeah! this just in!
Construction beginning in a month on USA Place

rocksteady
Jan 15, 2014, 5:31 AM
http://azbex.com/450m-usa-place-breaks-ground-in-february/

Hell yeah! Excuse me moderators, but this just in!
Construction beginning in a month on USA Place
Great day to be on the Valley projects threads.
20 story Marriott also coming to downtown Phoenix!

Yay, how exciting! Tempe is developing a multi-use, urban, street facing development that brings new jobs, retail, grocery, and housing. TAKE NOTE PHOENIX! Looking forward to seeing some better renderings.

My only wish is that they would stack that two 4-5 story apartment buildings and create a single tower to give those living there some better views.

Even more exciting is that they are building it all in one phase. No chance of a recession halting other phases.

Spitfiredude
Jan 15, 2014, 5:35 AM
My only wish is that they would stack that two 4-5 story apartment buildings and create a single tower to give those living there some better views.

Agreed, but over 150k of retail is very WELCOMED. Especially with it all being along Mill. I wonder if we will see sites on the westside of Mill south of University purchased as a result of this project for low rise (3-5 story) development.

Spitfiredude
Jan 15, 2014, 5:36 AM
http://usaplace.us/

Website!

rocksteady
Jan 15, 2014, 5:52 AM
Agreed, but over 150k of retail is very WELCOMED. Especially with it all being along Mill. I wonder if we will see sites on the westside of Mill south of University purchased as a result of this project for low rise (3-5 story) development.

You are on a role with the news today! :) The residential explanation on the new website altered my opinion a bit on the apartments. While I would love a few extra stories so they didn't feel so boxed in, I like the idea of quieter "back street" residences above retail near Myrtle, alongside those looking for a more vibrant street vibe along 9th. I can survive with this, especially if we see a revamped University Square with high rise residential across the street. A decade from now this may just be the best urban intersection in the state.

Tito714
Jan 15, 2014, 12:21 PM
I passed by mill and university yesterday and you can already see that they have blocked off the entrances to any of the parking that was by Chillis, and also as we all know the Chillis is closed as well!

Jjs5056
Jan 15, 2014, 2:04 PM
You are on a role with the news today! :) The residential explanation on the new website altered my opinion a bit on the apartments. While I would love a few extra stories so they didn't feel so boxed in, I like the idea of quieter "back street" residences above retail near Myrtle, alongside those looking for a more vibrant street vibe along 9th. I can survive with this, especially if we see a revamped University Square with high rise residential across the street. A decade from now this may just be the best urban intersection in the state.

I almost see USA Place as becoming what the Jackson Street Entertainment District had proposed. So many different uses of space, and while I was originally disappointed to see it will all be done in one phase (phase I was originally sheduled for early 2015 completion), I'm actually glad because I think each component is critical toward making this a success. I have long complained about the longterm impact of the mass amounts of student housing being built in the area, but getting these many rentals specifically marketed toward prfoessisonals will be awesome for the vitality of the area.

So many mega projects fail because without one piece, the cycle breaks... Aka you need residential to support dry cleaners and grocery stores, but hotel guests to support entertainment venues, and office workers for lunch/happy hour spots, etc. If this does come together all at once, how can it not be successful eventually?

I am still going to preach that Tempe needs to start thinking higher soon, though. This project has the acreage and perfect storm of mixed uses for midrise to work, but true downtown land (and, until the streetcar is built, lakeside and even USA Place is pushing it with their distance from LRT) is running out, and we need more 12-14 story projects 6-story on M7, Univiersity Square, Mosaic, etc. Save the 6-stories for Ash, Farmer, and east-side infill.

PHXFlyer11
Jan 15, 2014, 3:09 PM
I've seen this feature (scrim) on stadiums in Europe and they look amazing. I'm also excited they won't be building a canopy ("roof") over SDS.

Agree 1000% on the canopy! Really our home field advantage is about the heat. The way Sun Devil Stadium is built into the butte makes it one of the most unique venues in all of sports. To block the sun, and the views, especially with that hideous canopy would've been a terrible mistake.

On the projection outside, this is not generally a huge cost, especially when compared to an LED ribbon or score board. These are just projects placed side by side around the stadium rather than a true display. This will look amazing at night, especially when State Farm is done and all lit up!

PHXFlyer11
Jan 15, 2014, 3:11 PM
Projection, just like anything else is all about the content. Check out what was done in Prague... unbelievable. Can you image content of this quality around the outside of Sun Devil Stadium? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjWJHEmFfPA

Leo the Dog
Jan 15, 2014, 3:57 PM
Congrats to DT Tempe, offering the best urban experience in Metro Phoenix.

HX_Guy
Jan 15, 2014, 4:18 PM
Congrats to DT Tempe, offering the best urban experience in Metro Phoenix.

No joke, Tempe is doing it right!

As for the canopy...why so much hate? I thought it looked pretty cool.

PHX31
Jan 15, 2014, 4:41 PM
USA Place is perfect, IMO, especially the fact that it is going to be built in just one phase. And to think, there is a CVS with surface parking just across the street. :no:

With USA Place and State Farm alone, Tempe is on fire. I can't wait until these combined with a renovated SDS, not to mention the other projects around the city, are complete.

KEVINphx
Jan 15, 2014, 9:02 PM
No joke, Tempe is doing it right!

As for the canopy...why so much hate? I thought it looked pretty cool.

agreed - I am baffled, it's hotter than hell!

Spitfiredude
Jan 15, 2014, 10:28 PM
Why so much hate? It is a worthless $125 million investment. You can invest that money toward renovation or making the stadium completely indoor. The concept that it will make the gameday experience 15-25 degrees cooler is just a joke. Sure, you don't have the sun blaring down on you. Sure, there will be a ventilation mechanism that will keep air flowing. That doesn't change the fact that the air temperature will still be in the 110 range in September and 100 in early October. It is a waste of money. No one would attend an outdoor midday game during September whether there is shade or not. The cover would also prevent the beautiful fireworks display at games. Cool concept, not realistic.

PHXFlyer11
Jan 15, 2014, 10:41 PM
agreed - I am baffled, it's hotter than hell!

A few major issues for me with the canopy.

- The view of the mountains is blocked
- The planes overhead would be blocked
- Fireworks would not be visable
- The tarp looked like a giant piece of fabric like you'd put in your back yard (cheap, half-ass)
- The tarp would look like hell when it gets dirty (have you seen the roof of Chase field?)
- Heat is our homefield advantage. Like the cold is for teams in the mid-west.

Sun Devil Stadium is in such a cool location that it would be terrible to ruin that environment with such a cheap looking tarp over the top. So happy they decided not to go through with that piece of it.

PHX31
Jan 15, 2014, 10:50 PM
Why so much hate? It is a worthless $125 million investment. You can invest that money toward renovation or making the stadium completely indoor. The concept that it will make the gameday experience 15-25 degrees cooler is just a joke. Sure, you don't have the sun blaring down on you. Sure, there will be a ventilation mechanism that will keep air flowing. That doesn't change the fact that the air temperature will still be in the 110 range in September and 100 in early October. It is a waste of money. No one would attend an outdoor midday game during September whether there is shade or not. The cover would also prevent the beautiful fireworks display at games. Cool concept, not realistic.

There are rarely any day games anyway.

Jjs5056
Jan 16, 2014, 12:38 AM
USA Place is perfect, IMO, especially the fact that it is going to be built in just one phase. And to think, there is a CVS with surface parking just across the street. :no:

With USA Place and State Farm alone, Tempe is on fire. I can't wait until these combined with a renovated SDS, not to mention the other projects around the city, are complete.

Yea, I suppose we should be glad they fought for - and won - the inclusion of a second, street side entrance, but I'm surprised such suburban standards were allowed in developing the CVS and Chase buildings; even the new Chik Fil-A is more urban.

Oh well, there's always a chance for some revitalization. Isn't like they're knocking over entire streets if warehouses in the meantime like our other cities.

Spitfiredude
Jan 16, 2014, 5:29 AM
There are rarely any day games anyway.

The main purpose of having the cover is to do day games in September/October. TV exposure for ASU.

PHX31
Jan 16, 2014, 3:27 PM
The main purpose of having the cover is to do day games in September/October. TV exposure for ASU.

I don't think that's how it works... even in the late fall this year ASU was having night games when the weather would have been perfect for a day game. It's deeper than "put up some shade and WE (ASU) can have day games as we wish". It's now all about the conference, and the Pac-12 and TV rights. That's who tells ASU when to have their games. Potentially ASU could set a game time at noon, but our network partners wouldn't pick up the game for TV; ASU wouldn't want to play a game without being on TV, and therefore it's not more exposure.

I once read an article explaining why ASU (and the Pac-12 in general) had so many night games when it seems detrimental to the conference (because the East coast goes to bed when the games are still on, etc.). I'll see if I can find it.

azsunsurfer
Jan 16, 2014, 4:10 PM
http://www.costar.com/News/Article/Tempe-Land-Sells-for-$74M/156000?ref=100&iid=370&cid=8A88580C8F5F1AA529EE6C844F843C53

Looks like that 4 story apartment development designed by Davis approved by the City some time ago is now a go. The developer just closed escrow on the site and will probably pull permits soon. This is that site that sits just east of Chompies and south of the Karston Golf Course.

Jjs5056
Jan 17, 2014, 4:53 AM
What do you guys think of this latest trend of "faux" urban developments to hit the Valley? Started with the Broadstone properties and looks to be continuing with the Hanover, apartments on Highland/Central and these. They're apartments that are as secluded from their surrounding neighborhood as any gated community is; except, these throw in words like "urban" because they have no setbacks, and "dense" because they're 1-2 stories higher. But, reality is this new trend of development is a plague because nobody sees how dangerous it is toward the acitivation of our streets.

Complex after complex filled with its own amenities and deemed mixed use because of its street-facing leasing office. But, there's nothing less suburban about these apartments. Their garages are taller than their apartments. Residents are hardly encouraged to leave their complex (Why when everything is right there inside?) and if they do, they'll leave via SUV since the street front entrances are small and gated off.

Projects like these won't ever lead to true communities. Sorry to be the eternal Deborah D.

azsunsurfer
Jan 17, 2014, 5:17 AM
Sigh....anyway...Does anyone know if the Archstone on the NW corner of Scottsdale and Curry has gone vertical yet? I know about a month ago they were busy doing site work/ infrastructure improvements.

DevilsRider
Jan 17, 2014, 4:30 PM
I was by there last week; they had some wood frames going up but I wasn't paying too much attention....

MegaBass
Jan 17, 2014, 7:32 PM
I don't think that's how it works... even in the late fall this year ASU was having night games when the weather would have been perfect for a day game. It's deeper than "put up some shade and WE (ASU) can have day games as we wish". It's now all about the conference, and the Pac-12 and TV rights. That's who tells ASU when to have their games. Potentially ASU could set a game time at noon, but our network partners wouldn't pick up the game for TV; ASU wouldn't want to play a game without being on TV, and therefore it's not more exposure.

I once read an article explaining why ASU (and the Pac-12 in general) had so many night games when it seems detrimental to the conference (because the East coast goes to bed when the games are still on, etc.). I'll see if I can find it.

ASU News on 2012 canopy proposal (https://asunews.asu.edu/20120404_stadiumrenovations)

The renderings are not finalized, but the tentative plan would create a shade canopy over the stadium that will allow the passage of natural light and the passage of air into the stadium while also allowing the Sun Devils to play day games earlier in the year to accommodate Pac-12 Network obligations.

“I like the idea of having something to cover the field because that opens up opportunities to be nationally televised in early September or late August because now it’s tolerable. If we’re going to go big-time, than we have do the big-time things so we are available to take our shot on national television when it comes and we can’t be held back because of weather. Everybody is so impressionable, and people even to this day, because we play most of our stuff at night, they’re not even sure where Arizona is, let alone Arizona State. Every time you can be exposed, whether it’s good, bad, or indifferent, you’re going to make an impression on somebody, so playing in front of a national audience is hugely important.” -Ron Pritchard, former Sun Devil letterwinner

College Football’s Most Dominant Player? It’s ESPN (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/sports/ncaafootball/college-footballs-most-dominant-player-its-espn.html?hp&_r=0)

The extent of ESPN’s influence over college football is literally displayed on the face of your ticket to next week’s game. Tickets to most games are printed with the date and the opponent’s name, but something is missing: the kickoff time. That is because ESPN, under its contracts with conferences, has the right to set kickoff times and wait until 12 days before game day, or in some cases only six, to inform universities.

Every Monday morning during the season, ESPN’s football brain trust meets in a war room in Building 12 on the network’s sprawling campus in Bristol, Conn., to consider options for coming games and make sure the hottest teams get the choicest time slots on each of its channels. After decisions are made, calls go out across the country, setting off a scramble on dozens of campuses as universities arrange everything from parking to security to team transportation.

Last season, ESPN channels televised about 450 college games. ESPN’s closest competitor, Fox, showed 50 on various networks.

College game times set at TV's pleasure (http://www.sfgate.com/college/jenkins/article/College-game-times-set-at-TV-s-pleasure-4730237.php#photo-3396566)

It's all about priorities for the Pac-12 these days, and that means cash over family. For those eager to plot their kids' weekend activities well ahead of time during the school year, this is one lousy deal. The "TBA" starting times won't be known until 12 days before the game in question - sometimes even later than that - so the conference and networks can establish television schedules as they see fit.

poconoboy61
Jan 18, 2014, 2:45 AM
Looks like the Oliver McMillian Lofts at Hayden Ferry is set for June groundbreaking. Sorry if this is old news...

Oliver McMillan Lofts at Hayden Ferry Break Ground in June (http://azbex.com/oliver-mcmillan-lofts-at-hayden-ferry-break-ground-in-june/)

The 500KSF, 264-unit Lofts at Hayden Ferry will come out of the ground this June on nearly four acres between 2MSF Marina Heights and the Hayden Ferry Lakeside office/residential complex on Tempe Town Lake.

The Class A market-rate apartments will be in four story wood-framed buildings with two levels of below-grade parking.

http://azbex.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Hayden-Ferry-WEB.jpg

PHXFlyer11
Jan 18, 2014, 2:52 AM
Looks like the Oliver McMillian Lofts at Hayden Ferry is set for June groundbreaking. Sorry if this is old news...

http://azbex.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Hayden-Ferry-WEB.jpg

Thanks for the update. This was posted a long time ago, but we haven't heard anything in months. I was beginning to wonder if this is dead. Overall not a huge fan of the project, but it will finish up the south side of the lake between Mill and Rural.

Jjs5056
Jan 18, 2014, 7:39 AM
Why aren't you a fan of the project? The height?

I was disappointed with the lack of height originally, and especially now given the demand ultimately needed to house Mrina Heights workers, and was also unimpressed with the way it addresses Rio Salado and the lake. But, ultimately, I'm realizing I just won't ever be satisfied with how developers handle their approach to this. Given that each has failed to both activate Rio Salado and create public space on the lake side, I have to imagine it just isn't possible and/or that maybe Tempe should've situated the land better to allow development on both the street and the lake? I'm really not sure.

On a positive note, it's good to see that projects we assumed dead have come back to life: I hate the trend of design that Alta Apartments (University and Hardy) will follow but the chances of a better quality urban project going there are slim anyway so it's a win, The Lofts at Hayden will essentially connect Mill to Rural (too bad a hotel won't snatch up that last remaining pad), and now it looks like The Residences at Fointainhead are ready to break ground. More more midrise offices are coming to the Broadway Curve (up to 12 stories) so I'm glad they're at least incorporating residential into the master plans.

http://azremagazine.com/new-market/market-residences-fountainhead-corporate-park?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=AZ-CRE-REPORT&utm_campaign=GPEConnect&cb=02899106643162668

Obviously, we've past the point of preventing that area from stealing jobs and development away from downtown, so how have other cities dealt with such secondary "cores?" Do we look at transit options like BRT or simply accept its fate as a suburban tech center and be grateful for any more residential and retail they incorporate that help reduce its carbon footprint as much as possible? Really is too bad all the Broadway Curve development wasn't brought to the western end of Rio Salado, University, or even to SouthBank given the pathetic outcome of that project.

PhxER
Jan 18, 2014, 12:57 PM
Here kind of a break down of the timeline for the Sun Devil Stadium.

http://sicollegefootball.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/screen-shot-2014-01-15-at-9-19-18-am.png?w=1024&h=662

Image Source (http://college-football.si.com/2014/01/15/arizona-state-sun-devil-stadium-renovation-plan/)

PHX31
Jan 18, 2014, 2:37 PM
Cool, but wait. .. the section I have my season tickets are going to become the student section?

asugrad
Jan 21, 2014, 1:39 PM
http://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/t35/1498133_10152242026637990_2070523713_o.jpg?oh=ebc9a99e25eba6be4fd6769a76681e6a&oe=52E0A8D8

Really? is this what is going to happen on the large dirt lot in a Tempe neighborhood?

cygnusloop99
Jan 21, 2014, 3:24 PM
Really? is this what is going to happen on the large dirt lot in a Tempe neighborhood?

Technically it's true. I believe this garage is part of the large planned residential development on that lot. Hopefully this is an indication that the project is going to get built soon.

azsunsurfer
Jan 21, 2014, 4:09 PM
That's good news! I remember they had said they were hoping to start construction first quarter of this year. Its suppose to be 5 buildings ranging from 5-6 stories of residential and retail! The renderings are around here somewhere. It will be nice to fill that awkward corner parcel.

nickw252
Jan 21, 2014, 9:16 PM
Looks like the foundation for a third tower crane is being worked on.

http://i41.tinypic.com/qr0qhg.jpg

rocksteady
Jan 21, 2014, 9:36 PM

This seems to be moving along nicely. Can't wait for it to start going vertical.

Does anyone know if there are any plans for across the lake where the proposed Onyx tower was going to go? Do they still own the land even though the plan fell through? And what was the proposed height for that building? I would love to see highrises surrounding the lake right up against the 202. That is such prime land I'm surprised it hasn't been developed yet.

PHXFlyer11
Jan 21, 2014, 11:25 PM
This seems to be moving along nicely. Can't wait for it to start going vertical.

Does anyone know if there are any plans for across the lake where the proposed Onyx tower was going to go? Do they still own the land even though the plan fell through? And what was the proposed height for that building? I would love to see highrises surrounding the lake right up against the 202. That is such prime land I'm surprised it hasn't been developed yet.

I tried contacting the developer a few months back, telling them I was interested in purchasing a place and asking if they were still planning this project. No response. I think this is dead. Hopefully the landowner, or next landowner does something atleast 10+ stories.

Jjs5056
Jan 22, 2014, 2:55 AM
Hopefully, the garage being built isn't some shady business that ends up being leased out to ASU or something; in other words, the project - The Grand for those who want to look it up - better get developed in full.

As for Onyx, I posted a few months back that the land was purchased. No plans as of now, but given the zoning, price, and size of the parcel, I imagine. Hi-rise would be needed to break even, no?

PHXFlyer11
Jan 22, 2014, 3:41 AM
Hopefully, the garage being built isn't some shady business that ends up being leased out to ASU or something; in other words, the project - The Grand for those who want to look it up - better get developed in full.

As for Onyx, I posted a few months back that the land was purchased. No plans as of now, but given the zoning, price, and size of the parcel, I imagine. Hi-rise would be needed to break even, no?

Do you recall the amount the land was sold for? Or was it not disclosed?

PHXFlyer11
Jan 22, 2014, 3:53 AM

http://i41.tinypic.com/qr0qhg.jpg

Wow. That will be incredible. I drove by Hanover today. They have dug pretty deep. I expect we will see a tower crane in a month or so.

Question on this project... it has a 9-story garage which I believe is wrapped with 6-story apartments. Does this just mean that the garage goes 3 levels below ground, or is the garage really going to be three stories taller than the apartments? If so, I hope there is some sort of facade.

I think after Hanover, we should see a tower crane for USAplace next. I don't believe USplace has alot of/any underground parking, so the excavation will hopefully not take so long. Any word on if USAplace will be develop in phases or not? Like just the hotel and USA basketball, then apartments? The way it's laid out, I'd think it would have to be all one phase, as USA basketball is almost wrapped with the apartments from what I can tell.

Spitfiredude
Jan 22, 2014, 6:11 AM
Wow. That will be incredible. I drove by Hanover today. They have dug pretty deep. I expect we will see a tower crane in a month or so.

Question on this project... it has a 9-story garage which I believe is wrapped with 6-story apartments. Does this just mean that the garage goes 3 levels below ground, or is the garage really going to be three stories taller than the apartments? If so, I hope there is some sort of facade.

I think after Hanover, we should see a tower crane for USAplace next. I don't believe USplace has alot of/any underground parking, so the excavation will hopefully not take so long. Any word on if USAplace will be develop in phases or not? Like just the hotel and USA basketball, then apartments? The way it's laid out, I'd think it would have to be all one phase, as USA basketball is almost wrapped with the apartments from what I can tell.

If you read the azbex.com press release and the website they state that there will in fact be 3 levels of underground parking on site. So we will have to wait several months for a tower crane. On the bright side this project is going to take 22 months to build which is a RAPID pace project, so it should be put up 3-5 months after initial development. The project will be ALL in one phase. The only section that will be phased is the apartments (probably 2-3 phases over a year). Marina Heights is beginning to go vertical over Rio Salado, I drove by today and saw some concrete columns.

As for Hanover, they still have a lot of underground work to be done. This project is progressing VERY slow, IMO. They still are doing off site utility work and that is not suppose to be finished until the end of the month. Let alone they have hardly done any on-site utility work. I would expect a tower crane no sooner than late February.

AMC Theater is suppose to open by the end of February according to a worker I talked to. They had the theater neon lights on tonight, and did some redesign to them.

I took a stroll by the MU Solar panels and they look pretty good. They covered the pillars with a acrylic facade which makes the LEDs look cool. I will post pictures soon for that.

Also, there is 2 fork lifts on site of HFL 3. At least its something...

rocksteady
Jan 23, 2014, 7:18 AM
Random question, but does anyone know if there has ever been talk about burying all the massive, ugly power lines that run along and over the 202 and across the lake? I'm so used to them I don't even notice them anymore, but when I do I can't help but notice how much of the sky they take up in that area. I wondered how projects on the north shore of the lake, like the old Onyx tower, would deal with these so close to their plots of land. A few friends that have come in from out of town have commented on how many there are in one of the more scenic parts of town.

I'm sure it would be an expensive undertaking, but boy would that sure "clear up" the views in that area. Just curious if there has ever been any talk.

azsunsurfer
Jan 23, 2014, 7:04 PM
I noticed the other day off the 202 that the Liberty Center is going vertical! Tilt up construction. So cool to see potential jobs (new or relocation) coming to that end of Tempe! Perfect access to the 202!

PHX31
Jan 23, 2014, 7:24 PM
Random question, but does anyone know if there has ever been talk about burying all the massive, ugly power lines that run along and over the 202 and across the lake? I'm so used to them I don't even notice them anymore, but when I do I can't help but notice how much of the sky they take up in that area. I wondered how projects on the north shore of the lake, like the old Onyx tower, would deal with these so close to their plots of land. A few friends that have come in from out of town have commented on how many there are in one of the more scenic parts of town.

I'm sure it would be an expensive undertaking, but boy would that sure "clear up" the views in that area. Just curious if there has ever been any talk.

I think it was talked about years ago on this forum, and something to the effect that no they won't ever be buried.

PHXFlyer11
Jan 23, 2014, 9:42 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/tempe-orlando-in-the-running-for.html

It says "Suburban office space" so I am taking this as renting out an existing space in a typical office park like ASU Research Park. Or maybe the complex on Broadway and the I10.

It would be awesome thought if they could building something in downtown Tempe. Could this be a tenant for HFL 3?

Disappointed still that GoDaddy has never opted to build a property in downtown Tempe.

CrestedSaguaro
Jan 24, 2014, 6:52 PM
Base for the 3rd tower crane at State Farm is in place. Probably see the crane up before then end of the weekend or early next week. :cheers:

nickw252
Jan 24, 2014, 7:37 PM

It says "Suburban office space" so I am taking this as renting out an existing space in a typical office park like ASU Research Park. Or maybe the complex on Broadway and the I10.

It would be awesome thought if they could building something in downtown Tempe. Could this be a tenant for HFL 3?

Disappointed still that GoDaddy has never opted to build a property in downtown Tempe.

IT operations are not likely to be in a high-rent area like a downtown tower. Suburaban Tempe would still be good. They would be high paying positions, and Suburban Tempe is still somewhat centrally located.

nickw252
Jan 24, 2014, 7:39 PM
Base for the 3rd tower crane at State Farm is in place. Probably see the crane up before then end of the weekend or early next week. :cheers:

crane is being assembled right now :cheers:

Leo the Dog
Jan 25, 2014, 7:54 PM

Maybe Warner and the 10?

Jjs5056
Jan 27, 2014, 4:34 AM
9 stories proposed at the site of a formerly planned healthcare office project. The property is located on the north side of Town Lake, at the very east of the Playa del Norte development, in back of Griogio.

Currently looking for tenants and could be ready as early as mid-2015; if HFL3 hasn't found tenants, I'm skeptical, but Fountainhead seems to be moving froward, so who knows? Yet, SouthBank still can't seem to land a deal? Don't get it.

http://azremagazine.com/news/cushwake-handle-leasing-playa-del-norte-office-tempe

combusean
Jan 27, 2014, 6:11 AM
There are two things about that project I find curious:

1.) How they manage to build a tower crane around those power lines?

2.) That there's four or five floors of parking compared to four office, and has surface parking. What's going on with all that parking? The last time we saw a building like this, Freeport McMoran Center, it was two floors of office for every floor of parking garage give or take.

Spitfiredude
Jan 27, 2014, 7:35 AM
The design is definitely peculiar, but I find the potential for tenants in this building. I say this, because its not an over sized project, such as HFL 3. Two, location is perfect.

I'm not too flattered with 4 or 5 stories of the building being dedicated to parking, but the height (assuming 100-120') is perfect for that area. IMO

Jjs5056
Jan 27, 2014, 8:17 AM
Well, it does boast about its abundance of parking... But, yes, dedicating half of the building to a garage given the ample surface parking available is definitely strange. I like that it adds height, however.

My theories:
1) I known the healthcare building was much shorter - 2 or 4 stories - so it may have had a larger footprint and, thus, the landowner may be wanting to build a second structure on the lot in the future. The garage guarantees spots for tenants regardlessm ofmfuture development.
2) Arizonans are lazy; perhaps they think this amenity will differentiate the project from the competition?
3) Maybe the surface lot parking really isn't much larger than being able to hold guests/ visitors, and the garage is necessary for employees? The parking lot might be an illusion Vince there's so much surface parking for the retail, Aloft and Grigio. NorthShore was the only quality product.

PHXFlyer11
Jan 27, 2014, 1:38 PM
Very weird having more parking stories than office stories, but I am pleased with the height for that location. What are the current heights? 6-7 stories on the north shore condos and ALoft?

This is is the site right between Grigio and the 202, correct? Not the Onyx site? It would be great to get another 9-10 story building where Onyx was supposed to go up. That would really be a nice dense little corner.

Downtown Tempe is really starting to snowball. I hope that we see some high-rise condos soon. That is definitely a big gap. Perhaps once HFL3, this new project and Marina Heights are well underway. There will definitely be demand at that time. So who has the foresight to invest now and get the first mover advantage once these large offices open?

Jjs5056
Jan 27, 2014, 3:02 PM
Flyer- I completely agree; I am glad to see that the Oliver McMillan apartments between HFL and Marina Heights re moving forward. Seems like a no-brainer to get some market rate/luxury rental inventory as it's been mainly student housing and senior/low income apartments built in the residential sector, but was called a Debbie Downer for saying it'd be smarter for the developers of proposed student housing to wait it out given the impending office boom.

Logical next step would be condos- there's been no movement since the crash.

As far as the site, there are 2 vacant lots left in Playa del Norte: 2 and 6 (Onyx); apparently, this office tower is nothing new and has been in the planning stages since 2007. I swore there used to be a giant trailer on the lot with a photo of a 3-story medical office?

Anyway, this should help in terms of location and briefy discusses the power line issue at one point:

http://ww2.tempe.gov/publicbodies/Docs/Council/SupportingDocuments/20080605dskko02.pdf

PHXFlyer11
Jan 27, 2014, 3:39 PM
Flyer- I completely agree; I am glad to see that the Oliver McMillan apartments between HFL and Marina Heights re moving forward. Seems like a no-brainer to get some market rate/luxury rental inventory as it's been mainly student housing and senior/low income apartments built in the residential sector, but was called a Debbie Downer for saying it'd be smarter for the developers of proposed student housing to wait it out given the impending office boom.

Logical next step would be condos- there's been no movement since the crash.

As far as the site, there are 2 vacant lots left in Playa del Norte: 2 and 6 (Onyx); apparently, this office tower is nothing new and has been in the planning stages since 2007. I swore there used to be a giant trailer on the lot with a photo of a 3-story medical office?

Anyway, this should help in terms of location and briefy discusses the power line issue at one point:

http://ww2.tempe.gov/publicbodies/Docs/Council/SupportingDocuments/20080605dskko02.pdf

Oh wow. I must not have been paying attention. There were indeed plans for this a long time ago.

I can confirm, after driving by the site on the 202 this morning. There is STILL a now graffitied trailer on the lot advertising lakeside medical offices.

The .pdf you linked raises an interesting question... The lot that is triangle shaped to the east most bank is currently covered in grass. It looks like a plot on the .pdf, but I can't image someone building here as the powerlines are indeed straight overhead. Is it planned for future sale and development, or will it always be a grass park?

Jjs5056
Jan 27, 2014, 6:43 PM
I believe what the site you are referring to was eventually converted into an official City of Tempe park. I don't expect it to be developed into anything else.

rocksteady
Jan 27, 2014, 6:49 PM
I believe what the site you are referring to was eventually converted into an official City of Tempe park. I don't expect it to be developed into anything else.

So glad to see that backside of Grigio getting worked on. It's such an eyesore. And speaking of Grigio, does anyone know why they no longer have the neon accent lights turned on at night like when they first opened? There used to be yellow, red, blue and for the past couple of years they are never on, except maybe the blue color. Same with some of the buildings over on HFL.

azsunsurfer
Jan 27, 2014, 11:57 PM
Actually I have a friend who works for that developer...they are bullish about the Tempe office market in the coming years. They are also looking tech companies as well. The power lines were always an issue which is why they were reluctant the first time to go that tall. They have had some success with their other recent projects so I see this as being a chance of really happening...