PDA

View Full Version : Tempe Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117

MegaBass
Jul 28, 2013, 6:36 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQNHN5FCYAAsdqE.jpg

Cardinals new $4.2 million, 78,000 square foot practice facility that will house a regulation-size field. (image source (https://twitter.com/AZCardinals/status/361210699097202688/photo/1))

MegaBass
Jul 28, 2013, 7:14 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BPz6FHTCUAATdVs.jpg

College Avenue Commons (Block 12) (https://twitter.com/ASUfacilities/status/359437036039589888)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BPz1_bqCIAEp00j.jpg

Law School desert hill (https://twitter.com/ASUfacilities/status/359432540379029505) being demoed for new service road.

Arquitect
Jul 29, 2013, 5:01 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BPz6FHTCUAATdVs.jpg

College Avenue Commons (Block 12) (https://twitter.com/ASUfacilities/status/359437036039589888)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BPz1_bqCIAEp00j.jpg

Law School desert hill (https://twitter.com/ASUfacilities/status/359432540379029505) being demoed for new service road.

I really like the different color used to stain the concrete on the south side of Block 12 (they are also using that color for the columns and other elements of the concrete structure). It isn't really a big gesture, but it really helps break the monotonous look of most concrete structures. I can't wait to see the skin go up.

DevilsRider
Jul 30, 2013, 3:01 PM
State Farm will break down Wednesday morning on a new facility in Tempe adjacent to ASU Sun Devil Stadium and the ASU Athletic Facilities District.

I imagine they meant to write "break ground"... :)

http://eastvalleytribune.com/local/tempe/article_4e6025dc-f88b-11e2-9a96-0019bb2963f4.html

Spitfiredude
Jul 30, 2013, 7:24 PM
I imagine they meant to write "break ground"... :)

http://eastvalleytribune.com/local/tempe/article_4e6025dc-f88b-11e2-9a96-0019bb2963f4.html

They fixed it to "break ground". The lake is going to look very cool with multiple tower cranes in place for the developments (Marina Heights/HFL3). I am interested to know what development is applying for approval at South Bank.

DevilsRider
Jul 30, 2013, 8:28 PM
They fixed it to "break ground". The lake is going to look very cool with multiple tower cranes in place for the developments (Marina Heights/HFL3). I am interested to know what development is applying for approval at South Bank.

There was the Villas, which I believe got approved late last year / early this year, but still has yet to see any movement... This was posted back in April of last year on this thread:

The City of Tempe's website was updated yesterday with this new Active Development Case: "Villas at South Bank." It's located in that area just north of Rio Salado Parkway- across from Karsten Golf Course! Here's what it says:
Request for VILLAS AT SOUTH BANK (PL120046) (City of Tempe, property owner; Michel Hebrant, MDT Development Partners LLC, applicant) consisting of 262 units within a 17-story senior living facility (including assisted living and memory care components) and a 2-story commercial building, totaling 367,896 sf. in building area on 2.23 net acres, located at 1122 East Vista Del Lago Drive in the MU-4 (PAD), Mixed-Use High Density District with a Planned Area Development Overlay and the Rio Salado Overlay District.

Here is the link:
http://www.tempe.gov/maps/StandardDetails.aspx?LocationID=bccae5fb-3dc4-48de-a694-ee74f339949d

Spitfiredude
Jul 30, 2013, 11:56 PM
There was the Villas, which I believe got approved late last year / early this year, but still has yet to see any movement... This was posted back in April of last year on this thread:

Its not that project (I believe that project is dead), this one is for 1450 E Vista Del Lago Dr. Dated the 15th of July.

Arquitect
Jul 31, 2013, 12:52 AM
Plans and Rendering for the Liberty Center, along Rio Salado west of Priest.

http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/cache/0/jitbd345m3jjsg451irfdx45/1711468107302013054635668.PDF

I knew that the project wouldn't be much, as it has been discussed on this page before, not the best move by the city. But honestly, even with really low expectations, I was still let down. The renderings of this project belong in some industrial zone warehouse area south of the I-10, not in what for many is the first sight of Tempe.

phxSUNSfan
Jul 31, 2013, 1:34 AM
I knew that the project wouldn't be much, as it has been discussed on this page before, not the best move by the city. But honestly, even with really low expectations, I was still let down. The renderings of this project belong in some industrial zone warehouse area south of the I-10, not in what for many is the first sight of Tempe.

Those buildings are actually nice for that area. Being that close to the approach at Sky Harbor, these type of buildings make the most sense. Isn't that little white thing in the circular area with vegetation a radar or some type of guidance equipment?

http://tinyurl.com/lzbb48v

This development will be approx. 2 blocks west of Priest which is more of a back-office, data center, semi-industrial zone to begin with. East of Priest is much more visible and where design will be important. I am assuming they will be landscaping the strip between this development and Priest with desert vegetation and trees so that the area isn't as visible.

Jjs5056
Jul 31, 2013, 1:43 AM
I'll bite my tongue here. I had seen the site plans for that project nearly a year ago at work and had hoped thendeal would somehow fall through. The fact that such a dismal, anti-urban commercial project is being built so close to downtown and the lake really sucks.

As far as SouthBank, I would not get your hopes up. It seems that this is their routine- every few months, they appear with a new project that wasn't part of the original plan and then disappear again.

This latest submittal is likely for this: http://awolff.com/urban/south-bank/

In spite of my pessimism, I do hope this project actually does take off, as this development needs to start somewhere and build momentum. Apartments make sense given the demand and will help in providing options for the influx of workers coming to the area in 2015.

Is the Villas project officially dead? I wasn't a fan of the project for several reasons, but it would have been nice to see a 17-story structure on the bank given the sea of 6-story projects popping up all over. However, this project reeked of desperation- senior housing was never a part of the plan, but it was obvious they were searching for the easiest path to funding even if it didn't make sense long-term. With Farmer Arts District abandoning its original and much more impressive plan for multiple senior projects, I would've been sad to see the same happen to SouthBank. Combined with this new, market rate apartment building, however, would've been great and created a diverse, urban population.

Another turn off was that the developers asked for a parking reduction for the Villas. That's usually a great thing, but rather than doing so because the project was going to be near transit or that the lake was going to be transformed into an urban environment, they justified the request by saying 70% of the customers using the retail would be residents. That made me feel as though the developers were not interested in creating a true urban destination in SouthBank; instead, it seems like we are on our way to getting yet another inward-facing, suburban style master planned development in the same vein as HFL. Development along the lake needs to be integrated into the lake/park and be accessible and attractive to the public.. Not cater to the residents of the development.

7/10 restaurant customers would be senior citizens? That is certainly not the scene the renderings had painted, and is certainly not a scene that prime, finite property along our lake should be wasted on.

phxSUNSfan
Jul 31, 2013, 2:23 AM
I'll bite my tongue here. I had seen the site plans for that project nearly a year ago at work and had hoped thendeal would somehow fall through. The fact that such a dismal, anti-urban commercial project is being built so close to downtown and the lake really sucks.

You can't really make that semi-industrial area urban...especially given the height limitations and airport equipment literally right on the grounds. Buildings have to be short and insulated from the jet noise. It is also right next to SR 143 and not near the lake at all. The lake ends, what, a half mile east (at least) of this area?

I agree about future development around the lake. We need retail facing Rio Salado as well as interesting waterfront facing design.

Arquitect
Jul 31, 2013, 2:43 AM
Those buildings are actually nice for that area. Being that close to the approach at Sky Harbor, these type of buildings make the most sense. Isn't that little white thing in the circular area with vegetation a radar or some type of guidance equipment?

http://tinyurl.com/lzbb48v

This development will be approx. 2 blocks west of Priest which is more of a back-office, data center, semi-industrial zone to begin with. East of Priest is much more visible and where design will be important. I am assuming they will be landscaping the strip between this development and Priest with desert vegetation and trees so that the area isn't as visible.

If you look at the site plan more closely, the development is not 2 blocks from Priest, but actually just half a block west of it. Hopefully this means that they are saving the frontage area facing Priest for something that faces the street, is close to it, and hides the sea of parking behind it. Only the large warehouse component west of the "hill" is about a couple block west of Priest.

You are quite right in the fact that there can't be much taller buildings due to the proximity to the flight path, as well as the fact that this is not the urban core. And we could argue about aesthetics forever, since that is always a matter of personal likes and dislikes. In my opinion these are just ugly tilt up concrete structures, with hardly any thought placed into their design, but that is just my personal point of view.

What bothers me about the project is not so much either its aesthetics or its squat stature, but the actual design. First off, for a project that occupies so much land, is right off the highway, and that the city gave up land for the development, it is very poorly thought out. There isn't a ton of large pieces of land left in Tempe, and it is a shame to see so much of this development go to parking. Why not place a couple parking structures and add more office and warehouse space? Maximize the land, instead of waste it with so much asphalt. The site plan shows that over half the plan is parking. This is not so much a call for a more urban design, but rather a smarter use of resources.

Secondly, why start away from Priest? Why not engage the entrance to Tempe by developing either the East parcel first. Or at least don't leave the West side of the street empty.

It doesn't have to be a great aesthetic design, nor urban, nor pedestrian in an area without many pedestrians. But Tempe can't afford to waste precious land with such poorly planned projects.

Jjs5056
Jul 31, 2013, 2:58 AM
You can't really make that semi-industrial area urban...especially given the height limitations and airport equipment literally right on the grounds. Buildings have to be short and insulated from the jet noise. It is also right next to SR 143 and not near the lake at all. The lake ends, what, a half mile east (at least) of this area?

I agree about future development around the lake. We need retail facing Rio Salado as well as interesting waterfront facing design.

Oh, I think you're being a little conservative with your imagination here. :) I didn't mean to imply the property was lake-front, just as I didn't mean to imply it was downtown. But, being within a half mile of both, and so close to Sky Harbor, Papago Park, DBG, The Zoo, Tovrea, LRT, etc. makes me think this land deserved a bit more thought and is worth more than a paint-by-numbers, canned assortment of lowrise spec commercial/industrial buildings lost in a lake of asphalt. I mention proximity to the core because Tempe is landlocked- this land is by far the largest uninterrupted acreage within that radius.

All planning in Tempe should be done with care and thought given to this issue of being landlocked, as it requires a much different perspective than the typical attitude hear in Phoenix. It requires making sure that each inch is put to the best use, and this is especially true near downtown. I certainly don't expect high rises in this location, but have you seen the site plan (honest question, not meant to be sassing you at all!)? Tempe talks about spreading density and TOD to areas as away from the core as Broadway. Yet, here is a site near all of those amenities I listed above, AND on a street that could and should have streetcar running down it in the future, and it literally has not one positive feature from a sustainability or urban planning perspective.

Do you truly think that a parking lot of that size is the best use for that land, knowing there is a finite amount of it left in the city of this size and in such a prime spot? Or that a series of sprawled out, 2-story buildings is ideal in a landlocked city with the ideals and goals that Tempe has bragged about having? From a purely aesthetic point of view, do you think no better design could be developed for what is, as Arqitect pointed out, a gateway to our metro?

In my opinion, the answer is certainly a no to all of the above, and I thought Tempe had higher standards in this regard. I doubt these buildings even have views of the lake. There is nothing about it that makes me believe the team designed this according to its environment. Otherwise, midrise buildings would have been incorporated that had views of the lake and downtown Tempe, as well as downtown Phoenix. Given its proximity to amenities, transit and downtown, there would have been at least a future phase residential component (I get it- Phoenicians want their 8' walls blocking any noise or connection to the outside world and community; so, make it affordable housing if needed... But, it shouldn't be a foreign concept to at least make it a viable option for people to live and work in the same zip code). Knowing that a future streetcar line is possible, street-facing retail would have been included, as well as underground parking, or at the least parking garages wrapped by these residential and commercial uses. Do I expect retail frontage the busy intersection? No. But, smaller interior access roads could have been developed.

Again, I'm not an architect, designer, urban planner, or city official. However, the fact that professionals with those backgrounds all had a hand in creating this project and approving it is very sad, as I just can't honestly believe that this was the best this project could be. There was no reason it couldn't have incorporated any of the following: midrise heights, residential component, underground or garage parking, interior roads with street parking and structures with frontage, orientation toward the lake or downtowns, modern/desert-inspired design, "gateway" consideration (public plazas or other amenities given its visibility to incoming visitors)....

I realize accomplishing all of these would be unrealistic. But, as I mentioned, my main point is that I don't think it is unreasonable to say this land could be put to better use than plopping a canned low rise and generic office complex.

phxSUNSfan
Jul 31, 2013, 3:00 AM
If you look at the site plan more closely, the development is not 2 blocks from Priest, but actually just half a block west of it. Hopefully this means that they are saving the frontage area facing Priest for something that faces the street, is close to it, and hides the sea of parking behind it. Only the large warehouse component west of the "hill" is about a couple block west of Priest.

You are quite right in the fact that there can't be much taller buildings due to the proximity to the flight path, as well as the fact that this is not the urban core. And we could argue about aesthetics forever, since that is always a matter of personal likes and dislikes. In my opinion these are just ugly tilt up concrete structures, with hardly any thought placed into their design, but that is just my personal point of view.

I do think the amount of surface parking is ridiculous and more back-office, warehouse, etc. development could take place. Given the size of the parking lots that likely is something that could be developed in the future. Looking at the Google map and the overlay of the plan, it is actually about 2 blocks from Priest. The edge of the project ends roughly at S. Albert Ave. if you extended the street northward from the neighborhood to the south. The end of the project boundary is just west of S. Albert Ave. which is two blocks from Priest since S. Ernie Place is in the middle. Granted these are slightly smaller blocks and a larger, full city block is about the size of these two. That means that there is still some land between Priest and Liberty Center.

To be honest, I wouldn't expect developers to spend much on better designs for back-office/warehouse space. These buildings have more windows and some decent, albeit simple design elements that make them nicer than some of the surrounding developments. The Beazer Homes' and US. Airways' buildings across the street in the Rio West Business Park are uglier and blander, IMO. Again though, that amount of parking seems like overkill so I am with you on that part.

phxSUNSfan
Jul 31, 2013, 3:09 AM
Do you truly think that a parking lot of that size is the best use for that land, knowing there is a finite amount of it left in the city of this size and in such a prime spot? Or that a series of sprawled out, 2-story buildings is ideal in a landlocked city with the ideals and goals that Tempe has bragged about having? From a purely aesthetic point of view, do you think no better design could be developed for what is, as Arqitect pointed out, a gateway to our metro?

In my opinion, the answer is certainly a no to all of the above, and I thought Tempe had higher standards in this regard. I doubt these buildings even have views of the lake. There is nothing about it that makes me believe the team designed this according to its environment.

I think there is a different argument for this area of Rio Salado. The area ends abruptly due to SR 143, the airport equipment and approach. This is not an area suitable for residential development, especially given that the rest of the developments encircling it are semi-industrial and back-office. Due to the airport, east of Priest and this close to the riverbed, it is not at all suitable for midrise developments ... of any kind.

Tempe still has plenty of land to develop midrise housing that can be concentrated along the future streetcar route and along light rail. I do not believe the streetcar will extend west of Mill Ave. Maybe in the future a small streetcar segment will extend to, or near, Priest but that isn't even in the planning (or proposed future line) stages. East of Priest, compared to west of Priest, is a completely different argument and you confused the two in my statement above.

Jjs5056
Jul 31, 2013, 3:11 AM
On a lighter note, I'm glad that there are so many projects in the works that will have a much more positive impact on Tempe.

1) State Farm - When will we see a more finalized version of the site plan and renderings?
2) Argo - anyone have photos or updates on this? Excited for a project to finally front Rio Salado, which so many other projects from HFL to TCA and the future SouthBank have all avoided like the plague.
3) Lofts at Hayden Ferryv- has this broken ground? Happy to see a residential component make its way to the lake before the rest is gobbled up by State Farm and Stadium District.
4) Mill/University - when will we get site plans/renderings for this guy? Isn't the hotel required to be completed by December 2014? Also, when will USA Basketball announce its official involvement... I thought I heard August?

One final question... The Residences at University Center (next to Chompie's) requested mixed use zoning- is it common practice to consider a project that is fully residential in scope, but includes a fitness center and leasing office, mixed use? To me, those are amenities required by the market to make a project viable... They Aren't components that have any benefit to the community or city, which I imagine to be the spirit of mixed use zoning. What am I missing?

Jjs5056
Jul 31, 2013, 3:20 AM
I think there is a different argument for this area of Rio Salado. The area ends abruptly due to SR 143, the airport equipment and approach. This is not an area suitable for residential development, especially given that the rest of the developments encircling it are semi-industrial and back-office.

Tempe still has plenty of land to develop midrise housing that can be concentrated along the future streetcar route and along light rail. I do not believe the streetcar will extend west of Mill Ave. Maybe in the future a small streetcar segment will extend to, or near, Priest but that isn't even in the planning (or proposed future line) stages. East of Priest is a completely different argument and you confused the two in my statement above.

My questions/thoughts were mainly rhetorical- sorry if you thought they were all direct responses to something you said. My main question to you was just whether you thought this was the best use for that land. I can agree that residential might not be realistic or viable, but it was just one of many options I think would have been better use for land that is so central and visible than what is being built.

I wasn't expecting high rise condos or anything... But, I wasn't expecting sprawled out 1 and 2 story buildings, either. Just isn't sustainable or smart, and I think Rio Salado and Priest is close enough to Tempe's core to deserve sustainable and smart planning choices. I'll try to stop repeating myself now!

Lastly, is there a future streetcar plan available? I thought I had read somewhere that it might extend from Priest to Mesa Riverview one day, but I didn't think any extensions had been planned out given that the starter route hasn't been selected yet.

phxSUNSfan
Jul 31, 2013, 3:32 AM
My questions/thoughts were mainly rhetorical- sorry if you thought they were all direct responses to something you said. My main question to you was just whether you thought this was the best use for that land. I can agree that residential might not be realistic or viable, but it was just one of many options I think would have been better use for land that is so central and visible than what is being built.

Honestly, no there really couldn't be anything better or dynamic in the area. It is literally right across the riverbed from the end of 2 runways. Residential would not be viable or remotely realistic. The area is suitable for its current use; denser residential development and midrise, class A or B office buildings are better off east of Priest in the Rio Salado zone.

Priest to Mesa Riverview? No, the streetcar has always been planned from Mill Ave. However, Mesa is serious about connecting the Wrigelyville West development to Mill Ave though there hasn't been any real planning for it to extend into Mesa at this time:
http://www.valleymetro.org/metro_projects_planning

nickw252
Jul 31, 2013, 4:19 AM
Omni Hotels & Resorts will build a 13-story, 330-room luxury hotel in Tempe as part of the planned USA Basketball relocation from Colorado to Arizona.

Dallas-based Omni is entering into a development deal with USA Place LLC. The hotel could open in 2015, according to USA Place developer Susan Eastridge.
That real estate group is working to bring USA Basketball’s headquarters and practice facilities to University Drive and Mill Avenue on property owned by Arizona State University. A Chili’s restaurant at that Tempe corner would close as part of the new development.

The Omni Tempe Hotel will include a 30,000-square-foot conference center and 1,000-person capacity ballroom. It will be Omni’s first Phoenix-area property. The chain has 50 hotels and resorts in locations that include Tucson, Los Angeles, Palm Springs, Calif., Dallas and San Diego next to Petco Park.

Eastridge said her group and Omni are talking about amenities to combine with the hotel including a spa, restaurants and rooftop venues.

“USA Place promises to be one of the most dynamic commercial and residential urban spaces in the U.S., and we are thrilled to add the Omni Hotels & Resorts flag to such a vibrant project,” said Omni president Mike Deitemeyer. “Clearly, USA Place will be a hub of year-long activity for sports, business, tourism and local commerce.

USA Place is a real estate partnership involving developers Michael Hallmark and Eastridge, who is CEO of Scottsdale-based Concord Eastridge Inc.

“Omni is a first-class strategic partner for USA Place that will help the urban site propel forward as one of the premier mixed-use developments in the Southwest,” Eastridge said.

Omni attracts meetings and group business, and the Tempe hotel will help bring more tourism to the Valley, said Eastridge, who splits her business time between Arizona and Northern Virginia.

USA Place will ink a 99-year ground lease with ASU for the land that would hosue the basketball and real estate development.

Hallmark is a principal and lead architect with Los Angeles-based Future Cities Development LLC. He’s worked on a number of high-profile sports and entertainment developments including the Staples Center and Pauley Pavilion in L.A. and US Airways Center and Comerica Theater in Phoenix. He’s also part of redevelopment plans for ASU’s Sun Devil Stadium.

Plans are for USA Basketball — the organization that develops the men’s and women’s national teams for the Olympics and World Championships — to move from Colorado Springs to Tempe in 2015. The group currently holds practices and tryouts in Las Vegas. Former Phoenix Suns and Arizona Diamondbacks owner Jerry Colangelo is USA Basketball chairman.

Colangelo was part of a pre-recession plan to move USA Basketball’s headquarters to Glendale. Those plans fell through with the foreclosure of the Main Street Glendale development.

Development plans around USA Basketball include 200,000-square-feet worth of office space, 500 luxury apartments and 160,000-square-feet of retail. The facility will include a 4,500-seat arena. Construction on the development — including hotel — could start before the end of the year.

Eastridge said initial plans call for development of underground parking as well as a new parking garage and the first of two planned office buildings.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2013/07/30/omni-hotels-to-be-part-of-usa.html?page=all

phxSUNSfan
Jul 31, 2013, 5:18 AM
There is a little more recently posted on AZCentral about USA Place (Omni Hotels/USA Basketball development). Here are some paragraphs from the article:

The complex could draw more than 300,000 people to Tempe annually, developers said. In addition to the Olympic teams, USA Basketball chooses rosters for the world championships and other international competitions and holds tryouts and training camps for national teams of various ages.

“This is a big-time move for USA Basketball, one that I personally have been dreaming about for some time,” said Jerry Colangelo, USA Basketball chairman and former Phoenix Suns chairman/CEO. “All of amateur basketball will flow through our facility. It’s going to make its mark on the game that I feel so passionate about.”

Colangelo said the men’s and women’s National senior teams, made up of NBA and WNBA players, will use the Tempe facilities at times. The men’s team has an ongoing training arrangement in Las Vegas...

The basketball facility will include five full courts and two-half courts for national team tryouts and training camps. The courts can be configured to seat 4,500 for public scrimmages and for Arizona Interscholastic Association playoffs in a variety of sports...

The financial terms haven’t been completed, but Eastridge indicated ASU would receive revenue from the hotel and rebate a portion of that up to $800,000 annually to the conference center for 20 years. At the end of that time, ownership of the conference center would revert to the university. The city of Tempe will collect bed taxes and other taxes from the hotel and rebate a portion up to $800,000 annually to the conference center during the same time frame...

At the Tempe site, Colangelo envisions a Hall of Fame component celebrating USA Basketball’s world dominance in the sport. U.S. men have won 14 Olympic gold medals and U.S. women seven.

“This is the first of a new breed of these kinds of facilities,” said architect Michael Hallmark of Future Cities, an ASU graduate who has worked with Colangelo on such projects as US Airways Center and Chase Field. “You’ve got a university with excess real estate and aspirations for what to do with it. Then training centers, which have a lot of star power but are generally isolated and cut off from communities. This is exciting. We’re able to make up a whole new animal of all these parts.”

“These new facilities will be a tremendous upgrade,” Colangelo said. “We’re talking about state-of the-art new facilities that will be extraordinary.”

ASU basketball coaches are ecstatic at the prospect of the top junior players in the country coming to Tempe for USA Basketball camps in what amounts to free recruiting.

Almost every kid that is recruited has a dream to play USA Basketball, said ASU women’s coach Charli Turner Thorne, who directed the 2009 USA Basketball World University Games team and was on the 2007 U21 World Championships team staff...

“It’s a tremendous testament to Jerry Colangelo, (ASU President) Dr. (Michael) Crow and (ASU Vice President for Athletics) Steve Patterson,” ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek said. “If you look at the leadership those three are providing on their respective fronts, it's not a coincidence this facility is going up on Mill Avenue.

“It makes sense on so many different levels. It really is exciting for the economics of the area and potential job growth. It's a win-win on every level.”

The long-term lease agreement on the property could go to the regents for approval as early as August.

Conference centers and hotels have become increasingly popular on college campuses. Universities often lease the land to private developers. In 2008, the High Country Conference Center opened on Northern Arizona University’s Flagstaff campus with a Drury Inn & Suites next to it.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/tempe/articles/20130730tempe-lands-hq-usa-basketball.html#protected

HX_Guy
Jul 31, 2013, 5:45 AM
Damn Tempe is kicking ass and taking names these days it seems! Good for them!

Spitfiredude
Jul 31, 2013, 6:12 AM
Wow. This is absolutely insane. I'm not talking about the hotel or relocation of USA Basketball, but the fact that 500 residences and thousands of square feet of office space are also in plans. Tempe is taking off in development. I would have never expected this much to come out of this development. I would like to know what the maximum building height will end up being. I can now see the skyline filled with 5-8 tower cranes in 2014 :tup: :yes: :cheers: :cool:. The best part about this development is its bound to spur further development from Mill Ave to Rio Salado. Now we can only cross our fingers for a full size grocery store!

This is just awesome news to come after a disastrous economic downturn in 07-08. Tempe is spearheading new development not only in the state of Arizona, but across the west coast. I sort of feel bad for downtown Phoenix. Its nice to see multiple agencies working together to make these kinds of things happen: Downtown Tempe Community (Mill Ave District), City of Tempe, and Arizona State Univ.

Arquitect
Jul 31, 2013, 6:13 AM

Some pretty big names too, it is exciting. It might not be as crazy as the pre-recession days, but without a doubt there definitely is a bunch of stuff being proposed.

TempeSilverFox
Jul 31, 2013, 1:28 PM
The best part about this development is its bound to spur further development from Mill Ave to Rio Salado. Now we can only cross our fingers for a full size grocery store!

I completely agree about the grocery store! Full size would be awesome- but I would be happy with a Trader Joes or a Fresh and Easy too. Really anything would be great!

phoenixwillrise
Jul 31, 2013, 2:55 PM
I completely agree about the grocery store! Full size would be awesome- but I would be happy with a Trader Joes or a Fresh and Easy too. Really anything would be great!

I have stated this before but at some time other people will jump on board.
Jerry Colangelo has done more for the Phoenix Area then most if not any business man in the history of Phoenix. He deserves to have a major street named after him hopefully while he is still alive.

kingofleos
Jul 31, 2013, 3:23 PM
OK, so I work for State Farm and our intranet site just posted a very nice new rendering of the Marina Heights project.

I'm checking to see if I can share this since it came internally. I'm hoping I can. Haven't seen this rendering out there on the interwebs.

ASUSunDevil
Jul 31, 2013, 4:09 PM
I have stated this before but at some time other people will jump on board. Jerry Colangelo has done more for the Phoenix Area then most if not any business man in the history of Phoenix. He deserves to have a major street named after him hopefully while he is still alive.

Completely agree. They should at least put a statue of him in front of U.S. Airways Center or Chase Field.

PHX31
Jul 31, 2013, 4:35 PM
OK, so I work for State Farm and our intranet site just posted a very nice new rendering of the Marina Heights project.

I'm checking to see if I can share this since it came internally. I'm hoping I can. Haven't seen this rendering out there on the interwebs.

If not can you just describe it?

The Colangelo/USA basketball project is HUGE for Tempe and ASU. And as an ancillary benefit, could ultimately spell the turn for the better for ASU basketball. Somehow I bet the UofA-centric board of regents may have a problem with that. :koko:

phxSUNSfan
Jul 31, 2013, 4:52 PM
If not can you just describe it?

The Colangelo/USA basketball project is HUGE for Tempe and ASU. And as an ancillary benefit, could ultimately spell the turn for the better for ASU basketball. Somehow I bet the UofA-centric board of regents may have a problem with that. :koko:

The Board of Regents has not denied ASU anything it has requested in a very long time. In fact, it has ruled in its favor (and NAU's) recently when the equal funding per student issue was raised in 2012. The BoR didn't hesitate to approve the Sports Facility District plan. The BoR is also evenly split between ASU and UofA graduates at 3 with both having a Student Regent (total of 4 each for ASU/UA). ASU's Student Regent holds an additional office as the Assistant Treasurer. NAU has 2 Regents and there are 3 whose Alma Maters are outside of Arizona or didn't attend a university (Brewer -no college degree, Krishna -UMASS, and Killian-no degree). Patterson is a graduate of both UofA and ASU, having graduated from ASU most recently with a law degree in 2008.

Leo the Dog
Jul 31, 2013, 6:26 PM

There's much in Tempe that is very appealing compared to Central Phoenix. Like DT Phx, Tempe has light rail connectivity to a major airport, a better freeway network (per capita) than Phoenix, of course the economic powerhouse of ASU main, the town lake development potential, close proximity to old town Scottsdale and a fun college town, walkable DT.

This is great for Phoenix too. As Tempe continues to add employers, Phoenix could provide dense housing units on their side of the border along the LR line. It'd be nice to see two booming downtowns in the Valley.

Arquitect
Jul 31, 2013, 6:58 PM

Is it this design by any chance?

http://kendledesign.com/portfolio/commercial/marina-heights-mixeduse.html

Spitfiredude
Jul 31, 2013, 7:22 PM
I believe this is the rendering you're talking about (here's the link):

http://www.pantagraph.com/business/local/state-farm-s-expansion-continues-with-m-campus-in-arizona/article_3430e882-fa01-11e2-bc70-001a4bcf887a.html

Looks pretty much the same, but a little better since its in a full scale rendering. I actually don't mind it much. I wish they were a little less boxy, but they don't look too bad. I'm just glad they stuck with glass along the lake and didn't switch to some random facade.

kingofleos
Jul 31, 2013, 7:27 PM
Sorry for the delay.

I found the image in Google Images so it's OK for me to post.

Forgive me if you've already seen this rendering:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j296/kingofleos/MarinaHeights_zps18b84c9f.jpg

kingofleos
Jul 31, 2013, 7:28 PM
I believe this is the rendering you're talking about (here's the link):

http://www.pantagraph.com/business/local/state-farm-s-expansion-continues-with-m-campus-in-arizona/article_3430e882-fa01-11e2-bc70-001a4bcf887a.html

Looks pretty much the same, but a little better since its in a full scale rendering. I actually don't mind it much. I wish they were a little less boxy, but they don't look too bad. I'm just glad they stuck with glass along the lake and didn't switch to some random facade.

Whoops, you already posted it. Sorry!!

Spitfiredude
Jul 31, 2013, 7:29 PM
Sorry for the delay.

I found the image in Google Images so it's OK for me to post.

Forgive me if you've already seen this rendering:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j296/kingofleos/MarinaHeights_zps18b84c9f.jpg

Funny we posted at the same time. This one is new I believe, but very similar to the submitted plans. I think it looks pretty nice. I don't know how others will react. Thanks for the info.

combusean
Jul 31, 2013, 7:31 PM
Here's a bigger one:

http://emvis.net/~sean/ssp/projects/marina_heights/MH_SE-view.jpg

kingofleos
Jul 31, 2013, 7:37 PM
Funny we posted at the same time. This one is new I believe, but very similar to the submitted plans. I think it looks pretty nice. I don't know how others will react. Thanks for the info.

LOL.

Yeah, it looks great!

And I'll be happy to post pics from my view when we're over there.

Hopefully I'll have a nice northern view of the lake and the rest of the city.

And 'combusean', that large pic is gorgeous, thanks for posting.

Arquitect
Jul 31, 2013, 7:56 PM
LOL.

Yeah, it looks great!

And 'combusean', that large pic is gorgeous, thanks for posting.

Even a view of the stadium and the butte would be nice. It is such a great location.

MegaBass
Jul 31, 2013, 8:02 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQhHUO_CIAAz9bU.jpg

Inside McCord Hall. (source (https://twitter.com/skpeck/status/362618182940368896))

phxSUNSfan
Jul 31, 2013, 8:03 PM
LOL.

Yeah, it looks great!

I really like the way the buildings look; modern but not too cluttered like the UofA Med School downtown with all the copper cladding and weird white parasols on the roof.

The only thing I don't like is the 2 above ground parking garages. At least they have ground floor retail and office space and it looks like both of the pedestrian malls along the lake and Rio Salado will add to walkability. However, I hope more trees are planted near the lake and around both the sidewalk and pedestrian mall.

PHX31
Jul 31, 2013, 8:14 PM
So the State Farm project broke ground... what is the phasing going to look like? Or is it all going to be built at once (seems this is unlikely as something this big never seems to be built all in one phase).

Will it be the year 2050 by the time that rendering might become reality?

phxSUNSfan
Jul 31, 2013, 8:20 PM
So the State Farm project broke ground... what is the phasing going to look like? Or is it all going to be built at once (seems this is unlikely as something this big never seems to be built all in one phase).

Will it be the year 2050 by the time that rendering might become reality?

I don't think there are phases. I have heard it will all be built at once. It will be 2 million sq ft and State Farm is leasing 1.9 million sq ft. Due to the scale of the project and the inclusion of redevelopment along the lake with plazas, it will take 4 years to complete.

MegaBass
Jul 31, 2013, 8:22 PM
Sun Belt Holdings Press Release on Marina Heights (http://sunbeltholdings.com/news/marina-heights/)

Vimeo of Marina Heights (http://vimeo.com/71303533#at=79)

PHX31
Jul 31, 2013, 8:32 PM
So according to the press release:

"Ryan Companies begins construction this month of Marina Heights. The 20-acre, $600 million mixed-use development will include five office buildings leased by State Farm, retail amenities and a 10-acre plaza that will be constructed over the next four years. The first 370,000 square foot building is expected to be complete by mid-2015."

Four years is still a long, long time... but I guess the continual construction will be cool.

dtnphx
Jul 31, 2013, 10:18 PM
Looks kinda nice.

Renderings revealed as construction begins on massive State Farm development in Tempe

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2013/07/31/construction-begins-on-massive-state.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2013-07-31&u=34892844144f674e291dd986763848&t=1375309015

Arquitect
Jul 31, 2013, 10:27 PM
So according to the press release:

"Ryan Companies begins construction this month of Marina Heights. The 20-acre, $600 million mixed-use development will include five office buildings leased by State Farm, retail amenities and a 10-acre plaza that will be constructed over the next four years. The first 370,000 square foot building is expected to be complete by mid-2015."

Four years is still a long, long time... but I guess the continual construction will be cool.

For such a big project, 4 years doesn't seem so bad. It will be awesome to see it go up.

michael85225
Jul 31, 2013, 11:55 PM
Looks kinda nice.

Renderings revealed as construction begins on massive State Farm development in Tempe

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2013/07/31/construction-begins-on-massive-state.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2013-07-31&u=34892844144f674e291dd986763848&t=1375309015

Imagine all those buildings stacked up and put into a single tower in downtown Phoenix, that would've been a great addition to the skyline. It's still great to see this project in Tempe though.

kingofleos
Jul 31, 2013, 11:59 PM
Imagine all those buildings stacked up and put into a single tower in downtown Phoenix, that would've been a great addition to the skyline. It's still great to see this project in Tempe though.

According to another co-worker of mine that worked in an area that is in the know, SF was considering downtown Phoenix as an option.

I would have loved to have seen that as well.

I dream of towers connecting downtown and the central skyline.

How cool would that view be.

ciweiss
Aug 1, 2013, 12:23 AM
Interesting

http://www.azcentral.com/community/tempe/articles/20130730tempe-oks-controversial-lake-plan.html?nclick_check=1

Tempe OKs controversial lake plan

The Tempe City Council voted Tuesday to revise the city’s Town Lake financing plan to offer greater incentives for developers.

The plan was unanimously approved despite a small window for public review and little opportunity for public comment on changes that would shift millions of dollars in lake costs to taxpayers.

Early Tuesday, Tempe resident Ron Tapscott, a member of a city neighborhood association, sent Mayor Mark Mitchell and the council an e-mail pleading on behalf of taxpayers for a delay on the vote.

“I strongly encourage you to postpone a decision on this matter until it has been discussed and considered with community input,” Tapscott said.

Mitchell had earlier pushed to postpone a vote and allow input from taxpayers and businesses.

“This is something that’s important,” he said. “We’re going to have plenty of opportunity for (public) engagement.”

But Tuesday, Mitchell shifted his position and voted with the rest of the council to approve the changes.

The mayor asked Tempe Finance Manager Ken Jones to clarify the plan and note that it would not directly increase residents’ taxes nor delay improvements to community parks.

Jones contended the developer incentives were “clarifications” to the lake finance plan.

City finance officials have said the revised plan would give developers a financial break on their share of costs tied to the man-made lake and make private development more affordable. The goal is to advance Tempe’s plans to secure sufficient lakeshore private development to ease the hefty public costs of maintaining Town Lake, finance officials said.

While the plan was pushed as a solution to spur development that slowed as a result of the the Great Recession, the incentives for developers would come as the Tempe and national economy are improving.

Today, Tempe and state leaders were scheduled to attend a celebration in Tempe to mark the beginning of construction on Marina Heights, a $600 million project touted as the state’s largest office development.

Developers unveiled renderings of the 2 million-square-foot project that city leaders have boasted would drive Town Lake commercial and residential development.

Town Lake critics say that taxpayers have long carried the financial burden for private lake development, and the new plan offers no guarantee that economic breaks for developers would actually spur construction.

The revised plan would shift the burden of paying for a new west-end lake dam, which the city has estimated will cost at least $37.4 million, to Tempe taxpayers, freeing developers from sharing the expense of replacing the dam.

Developers would pay a lower annual “holding fee,” which they typically begin paying when they build on their lake property.

The financing proposal also includes lowering the annual interest rate that developers must pay over the 25 years that they are allowed to pay back their share of lake construction.

Tapscott counted himself among the many Tempe residents who have endured community-service cuts. Under the revised lake-financing plan “substantial costs will be shifted to Tempe residents,” he wrote to council members.

Some Tempe residents have criticized the city for shifting millions of dollars to the Town Lake dam costs from spending that was approved by voters in a past bond election for community parks.

“The Alta Mira (Goodwin Park) neighborhood has diligently worked to improve our park, acknowledging the effects of a restricted city budget,” Tapscott wrote. “We sacrificed hours of master planning and hopeful expectation to accommodate the loss of city revenues from the economic recession.”

ciweiss
Aug 1, 2013, 12:29 AM
Also, a Which Wich sandwich shop is coming to Tempe Gateway building on Mill.

Tempe Gateway (0 mi)
222 S. Mill Ave
Suite 125
Tempe, AZ 85281

tempegateway@whichwich.net

COMING SOON!

http://www.whichwich.com/locations

I've tried their sandwhich's at the Scottsdale location and they are ok.

MegaBass
Aug 1, 2013, 12:43 AM
Development plans around USA Basketball include 200,000-square-feet worth of office space, 500 luxury apartments and 160,000-square-feet of retail. The facility will include a 4,500-seat arena. Construction on the development — including hotel — could start before the end of the year.

Hmm wonder where Sacks' ASU location ends up when all is said and done.

Arquitect
Aug 1, 2013, 12:54 AM
Interesting

http://www.azcentral.com/community/tempe/articles/20130730tempe-oks-controversial-lake-plan.html?nclick_check=1

Tempe OKs controversial lake plan

The Tempe City Council voted Tuesday to revise the city’s Town Lake financing plan to offer greater incentives for developers.

The plan was unanimously approved despite a small window for public review and little opportunity for public comment on changes that would shift millions of dollars in lake costs to taxpayers.

Early Tuesday, Tempe resident Ron Tapscott, a member of a city neighborhood association, sent Mayor Mark Mitchell and the council an e-mail pleading on behalf of taxpayers for a delay on the vote.

“I strongly encourage you to postpone a decision on this matter until it has been discussed and considered with community input,” Tapscott said.

Mitchell had earlier pushed to postpone a vote and allow input from taxpayers and businesses.

“This is something that’s important,” he said. “We’re going to have plenty of opportunity for (public) engagement.”

But Tuesday, Mitchell shifted his position and voted with the rest of the council to approve the changes.

The mayor asked Tempe Finance Manager Ken Jones to clarify the plan and note that it would not directly increase residents’ taxes nor delay improvements to community parks.

Jones contended the developer incentives were “clarifications” to the lake finance plan.

City finance officials have said the revised plan would give developers a financial break on their share of costs tied to the man-made lake and make private development more affordable. The goal is to advance Tempe’s plans to secure sufficient lakeshore private development to ease the hefty public costs of maintaining Town Lake, finance officials said.

While the plan was pushed as a solution to spur development that slowed as a result of the the Great Recession, the incentives for developers would come as the Tempe and national economy are improving.

Today, Tempe and state leaders were scheduled to attend a celebration in Tempe to mark the beginning of construction on Marina Heights, a $600 million project touted as the state’s largest office development.

Developers unveiled renderings of the 2 million-square-foot project that city leaders have boasted would drive Town Lake commercial and residential development.

Town Lake critics say that taxpayers have long carried the financial burden for private lake development, and the new plan offers no guarantee that economic breaks for developers would actually spur construction.

The revised plan would shift the burden of paying for a new west-end lake dam, which the city has estimated will cost at least $37.4 million, to Tempe taxpayers, freeing developers from sharing the expense of replacing the dam.

Developers would pay a lower annual “holding fee,” which they typically begin paying when they build on their lake property.

The financing proposal also includes lowering the annual interest rate that developers must pay over the 25 years that they are allowed to pay back their share of lake construction.

Tapscott counted himself among the many Tempe residents who have endured community-service cuts. Under the revised lake-financing plan “substantial costs will be shifted to Tempe residents,” he wrote to council members.

Some Tempe residents have criticized the city for shifting millions of dollars to the Town Lake dam costs from spending that was approved by voters in a past bond election for community parks.

“The Alta Mira (Goodwin Park) neighborhood has diligently worked to improve our park, acknowledging the effects of a restricted city budget,” Tapscott wrote. “We sacrificed hours of master planning and hopeful expectation to accommodate the loss of city revenues from the economic recession.”

Ahh, the always non-opinionated reporting of the Arizona Republic. It is understandable that they favor suburban and exurban points of view, since that is where most of their readership is; but their habitual attacks towards the urban elements of the city sometimes gets a little pathetic.

Honestly, the move by the city is not that bad. They see that there is momentum building towards developing the lake again, and they are trying to maximize some incentives to bring in other big projects to the area. Even while giving these incentives, projects like State Farm will be significant additions to the revenue of the city. And that is without taking into consideration the effect that they will have on retail and housing demand.

But yes, lets cry wolf. Because we should instead be using tax payer money to build infrastructure further and further out into the exurbs, at little to no expense to cookie-cutter developers.

Arquitect
Aug 1, 2013, 1:03 AM
Hmm wonder where Sacks' ASU location ends up when all is said and done.

Maybe along College Ave or Mill? There is a lot of retail space in both streets and they are both walking distance from their current clientele.

So far, of the several retail spots for the Hub, I have only heard of Jimmy John's and a smoochy place called The Blend moving in (both reported by Apache Redevelopment's Facebook page). I can see those retail spots staying empty for very long having over six hundred students above them and being right off the light rail station.

Arquitect
Aug 1, 2013, 1:49 AM
Another bird's eye view of the State Farm Project:

https://sphotos-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/1094811_10150305589724981_1789975632_n.jpg

jefe
Aug 1, 2013, 3:16 AM
Another bird's eye view of the State Farm Project:

https://sphotos-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/1094811_10150305589724981_1789975632_n.jpg

Every year Chcago dyes their river green for St. Patricks day, maybe we could dye our green lake blue to match that picture.

nickw252
Aug 1, 2013, 3:43 AM
I started a thread for Marina Heights in the Highrise Construction sub-forum. Feel free to contribute:

http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206781

PhxER
Aug 1, 2013, 2:57 PM
Omni Hotels to be part of USA Basketball deal in Tempe

Omni Hotels & Resorts will build a 13-story, 330-room luxury hotel in Tempe as part of the planned USA Basketball relocation from Colorado to Arizona.

Dallas-based Omni is entering into a development deal with USA Place LLC. The hotel could open in 2015, according to USA Place developer Susan Eastridge.

That real estate group is working to bring USA Basketball’s headquarters and practice facilities to University Drive and Mill Avenue on property owned by Arizona State University. A Chili’s restaurant at that Tempe corner would close as part of the new development.

The Omni Tempe Hotel will include a 30,000-square-foot conference center and 1,000-person capacity ballroom. It will be Omni’s first Phoenix-area property. The chain has 50 hotels and resorts in locations that include Tucson, Los Angeles, Palm Springs, Calif., Dallas and San Diego next to Petco Park.

Eastridge said her group and Omni are talking about amenities to combine with the hotel including a spa, restaurants and rooftop venues.

“USA Place promises to be one of the most dynamic commercial and residential urban spaces in the U.S., and we are thrilled to add the Omni Hotels & Resorts flag to such a vibrant project,” said Omni president Mike Deitemeyer. “Clearly, USA Place will be a hub of year-long activity for sports, business, tourism and local commerce.

USA Place is a real estate partnership involving developers Michael Hallmark and Eastridge, who is CEO of Scottsdale-based Concord Eastridge Inc.

“Omni is a first-class strategic partner for USA Place that will help the urban site propel forward as one of the premier mixed-use developments in the Southwest,” Eastridge said.

Omni attracts meetings and group business, and the Tempe hotel will help bring more tourism to the Valley, said Eastridge, who splits her business time between Arizona and Northern Virginia.

USA Place will ink a 99-year ground lease with ASU for the land that would house the basketball and real estate development.

Eastridge said initial plans call for development of underground parking as well as a new parking garage and the first of two planned office buildings.

Source (http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2013/07/30/omni-hotels-to-be-part-of-usa.html?page=all)

Arquitect
Aug 1, 2013, 3:23 PM
More info about USA place, this is from US Basketball's page:

Great to see that beyond all the great news we have already heard, there is a strong tie to the local community:

Currently based in Colorado Springs, Colo., since January 1979, USA Basketball is a nonprofit organization and the national governing body for men's and women's basketball in the United States. As the recognized governing body for basketball in the U.S. by the International Basketball Federation (FIBA) and the United States Olympic Committee (USOC), USA Basketball is responsible for the selection, training and fielding of USA teams that compete in FIBA sponsored international competitions, including the Olympics and World Championships.

USA Basketball’s programming for men and women includes U16 (16 years old and under), U17, U18, U19 and the national teams. USA Basketball also features national teams for 3x3 competitions, and a youth development program, which provides kids, parents and coaches with instructional and educational resources.

A new multi-court event center, with seating up to 4,500, will serve as the training site for USA Basketball primarily in the summer months and for regional youth and adult recreational and competitive athletics programming the rest of the year.

The site’s other major anchor will be the full-service Omni Hotel will be Tempe’s first four-diamond hotel. With 58 distinctive luxury hotels and resorts across North America, Omni Hotels & Resorts is recognized as a market leader for group and transient business as well as with leisure travelers. The adjacent 30,000-square-foot conference center will feature a grand ballroom capable of seating 1,000 for dining, a junior ballroom and meeting space.

In addition to USA Basketball, the Arizona Interscholastic Association (AIA) will host programming at USA Place and plans for end-of-season state high school tournaments for boys and girls basketball, volleyball, wrestling, badminton and spiritline. High schools will also have an opportunity to participate in regular season “Games-of-the-Week” there. AIA is the primary governing body for high school athletics in Arizona.

USA Place, LLC, is entering into a long-term ground lease with a base term of 99 years. ASU and the City of Tempe have formed a partnership to support the creation of the conference center and as a result, the conference center will revert to public ownership after twenty years. Construction of the project is planned to begin by year-end with the hotel, conference center, event center and first phase of residential, retail and office scheduled to open during the second half of 2015.

Also some news about who might be involved in the design:

Design for individual buildings within USA Place will be by a consortium of design firms including Tempe-based Architekton, Seattle-based Miller Hull, and Bill Nord of Newport Beach, California. Master planning will be led by Future Cities. Turner Construction will serve as the project’s general contractor.

I'm glad to see that Architekton is a part of this one. They are really contributing towards reshaping downtown Tempe. There are so many of their projects, or projects that they have collaborated in, around the core, it is quite impressive.

Source:http://www.usab.com/mens/13_usab_relocation.html

MegaBass
Aug 1, 2013, 6:07 PM
AIA to use USA Basketball's site as permanent playoff home (http://www.aia365.com/authors/jgarcia/2982/aia-to-use-usa-basketball-s-site-as-permanent-playoff-home)

The Arizona Interscholastic Association is planning to use USA Basketball’s future headquarters in Tempe as the permanent postseason home for almost every indoor sport the AIA governs.

USA Basketball made its announcement Wednesday about moving in 2015 to a new mixed-use development planned for Tempe called USA Place, where its 4,500-seat event center will open. Scheduling its indoor postseason games at one location finally gives the AIA and its member schools the playoff scheduling flexibility they have long sought.

Using the event center at USA Place will also help the AIA cut its postseason costs since it won’t have to rent some of Arizona’s largest indoor facilities as much as it does now.

“We’re very excited to have a permanent home where we can host our events,” said Chuck Schmidt, the AIA’s associate executive director. “The size and seating capacity of the venue is a great fit for us, and being able to share a home court with USA Basketball will be a remarkable experience for our kids. It also meets many other of our criteria, including being centrally located with easy access to light rail and more than 30 hotels, which is important to our member schools outside the Phoenix metro area. It also presents us with an opportunity to develop and increase revenue streams, enabling us to provide enhanced programming and services."

Schmidt added that the rental terms between the AIA and USA Place are in the process of being finalized.

When the AIA starts using the Tempe events center, it’ll likely become the first high school sports state association in the nation that’ll host playoff games at one centralized location. The future playoff home for the AIA should be ready to use by the fall of 2015.

Besides using it for playoff games, the AIA also is planning to host Game of the Week type of events and to train officials at the Tempe site. Since some of the AIA’s playoff events attract large crowds, the AIA will continue to use some of the indoor venues it currently rents.

Situated on 10.5 acres on the corner of Mill Avenue and University Drive, USA Place will consist of USA Basketball’s headquarters, the event center, which includes five full sized basketball courts and two half courts, a 330-room Omni Hotel, 30,000 square foot conference center, 500 luxury apartments, and retail and office space. Since the early 2000s, Schmidt and one of the executives of USA Place, Rob Harris, began working together when Harris was a vice president for the Phoenix Suns and the AIA used US Airways Center to host playoff basketball games.

“Working with Rob and his team from USA Place has been a great experience and a valued partnership,” Schmidt said. “We look forward to bringing numerous state tournament and championship events to the new facility in Tempe.”

Blow for Glendale and Jobing.com Arena.

ASU Diablo
Aug 1, 2013, 6:36 PM
Now imagine if the AZ Cardinals Stadium would've been built in the proposed Tempe site @ Washington/Priest? This area would've been awesome in addition to the upcoming ASU Athletics Facilities District...

FitnessPower
Aug 1, 2013, 8:24 PM
So basically the 10+ story projects that we'll be seeing cranes for within the next year are...

- Hayden Ferry 3
- State Farm Campus (4 towers)
- Omni Hotel
- Hub 2

Am I missing any?

A dream would be if the old M7 plans and the Sky tower came to life.

Arquitect
Aug 1, 2013, 8:47 PM
So basically the 10+ story projects that we'll be seeing cranes for within the next year are...

- Hayden Ferry 3
- Omni Hotel
- Hub 2

Am I missing any?

The ones that are actually going through the city right now are only the top 3.

The Hub's second phase might take a while to become a reality, since the new owners might want to wait and see how successful their investment is.

Arquitect
Aug 2, 2013, 1:00 AM
Here are some images from the company doing the master plan for USA Place. They are ridiculously talented, very knowledgeable, and have great connections. They have been involved in some really cool projects, including the Rio Salado EcoDistrict for ASU.

My guess is that these images are purely schematic, but it gives a very good feel of what they are trying to create. It will probably change quite a bit as the design begins to develop, but the ideas shown here are really awesome:

http://www.future-cities.us/wp-content/plugins/doptg/uploads/7cq4c7g1g3syNTYep61SHFd24ByrazrEL8BHPBWrNZZpehkd87WbkOPNSdEyBCkC6.jpg

http://www.future-cities.us/wp-content/plugins/doptg/uploads/d3GSzZfycg2f5LDQTT2hbznhQw4EEmqXxFFNGsqnhbLtqqbzMa1nHtTjRBWynNhSC.jpg

http://www.future-cities.us/wp-content/plugins/doptg/uploads/w7p8Xm8M61bmzMm36EMtZEenRe2hEPx4Cd1cRpBSyNBfQmKwPML8G3H5xDBAraF8w.jpg

http://www.future-cities.us/wp-content/plugins/doptg/uploads/C1HjbasWPrFkkAyShNXs8rnS1qqk3DtSb9AtjatOERERqN4shTXjeEsgChMXfLyRT.jpg
If you look at the small print on the ground level facing Myrtle, it reads grocery! Maybe this project will finally bring that much needed program to downtown.

http://www.future-cities.us/wp-content/plugins/doptg/uploads/YGsW6F4EnBweYFq1zNLjY1KW2HxRLSKR72OqxPnmHeqa6mm7HT27aTL2e9xah1fSg.jpg

Source:http://www.future-cities.us/projects/usaplace/

phxSUNSfan
Aug 2, 2013, 1:17 AM
Here are some images from the company doing the master plan for USA Place. They are ridiculously talented, very knowledgeable, and have great connections. They have been involved in some really cool projects, including the Rio Salado EcoDistrict for ASU.

My guess is that these images are purely schematic, but it gives a very good feel of what they are trying to create. It will probably change quite a bit as the design begins to develop, but the ideas shown here are really awesome.

I love the amount of solar panels. At least I think those are solar panels on the various structures. I also hope those are true "green roofs" where there are no solar panels. ASU, and Tempe by association, is leading the nation in solar panel installations. I don't know of any other institution incorporating so much solar infrastructure quite like ASU. I like the designs although they look rather simple. I am sure that has something to do with the fact that these images are mostly grayscale. I look forward to seeing more renderings with color soon. :cheers:

MegaBass
Aug 2, 2013, 4:06 AM

My guess is that these images are purely schematic, but it gives a very good feel of what they are trying to create. It will probably change quite a bit as the design begins to develop, but the ideas shown here are really awesome:

http://www.future-cities.us/wp-content/plugins/doptg/uploads/C1HjbasWPrFkkAyShNXs8rnS1qqk3DtSb9AtjatOERERqN4shTXjeEsgChMXfLyRT.jpg
If you look at the small print on the ground level facing Myrtle, it reads grocery! Maybe this project will finally bring that much needed program to downtown.

Source:http://www.future-cities.us/projects/usaplace/

Whoa so possibly two grocery stores for downtown/campus area? Also imagine the university galleries like Gallery 100, Art Museum Ceramics Research Center and Step Gallery would be part of it also or would be around Mill.

MegaBass
Aug 2, 2013, 4:08 AM
A photo gallery of Hayden Library Learning Studios and study spaces (lower level) (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.603770299653622.1073741828.147353931961930&type=3).

PHXFlyer11
Aug 2, 2013, 9:19 PM

Hi All - been lurking awhile here, finally registered.

I would think these are schematic only based on this company's work. I was hoping for more than one tower since they plan 500 residences. Do you realistically think 500 residences can fit in those proposed shorter buildings?

Really hope we get 2-3 towers out of this between 18-10 stories.

PHXFlyer11
Aug 2, 2013, 9:32 PM

- Hayden Ferry 3
- Omni Hotel
- Hub 2

Am I missing any?

Probably no Hub 2 as Arquitect said, however I think there are a few more nice project that will all be under construction at the same time. Maybe no tower cranes on some of these tho...

- Hanover Place (December) - 6 Stories
- The Grand / 1010 Lemon - 6 Stories
- Lofts at Hayden Ferry - 4 Stories - Is this still a go? I wish this had more height, but it will fill the gap between Hayden Ferry and Marina Heights.

What else am I missing?

When do we expect the street car/trolley to break ground?

ASUSunDevil
Aug 2, 2013, 10:33 PM
- Lofts at Hayden Ferry - 4 Stories - Is this still a go? I wish this had more height, but it will fill the gap between Hayden Ferry and Marina Heights.

OliverMcMillan's website says that they plan to begin construction in late 2013.

Arquitect
Aug 2, 2013, 10:44 PM

Honestly, having a 4/5 story project on that spot is not that bad. It allows for great views of Hayden Butte from the lake, as well as view from the top of the butte down. Plus even though it is not very tall, it is still pretty dense, and looks well designed.

PHXFlyer11
Aug 2, 2013, 10:57 PM
Honestly, having a 4/5 story project on that spot is not that bad. It allows for great views of Hayden Butte from the lake, as well as view from the top of the butte down. Plus even though it is not very tall, it is still pretty dense, and looks well designed.

Good point. Don't want to block the butte completely. That is going to be one nice looking shoreline from Ash to Rural. I love driving on the 202 as you enter Tempe.

Also, I noticed that the corner of Rural and Rio still has some space. Marina Heights doesn't quite go all the way to Rural. It would be so awesome to see something like the now dead Onyx tower on that final pad.

Spitfiredude
Aug 3, 2013, 1:15 AM
Hi All - been lurking awhile here, finally registered.

I would think these are schematic only based on this company's work. I was hoping for more than one tower since they plan 500 residences. Do you realistically think 500 residences can fit in those proposed shorter buildings?

Really hope we get 2-3 towers out of this between 18-10 stories.

I have to agree with you on this. I don't know how large the site is, but it seems silly to me that the 500 "luxury" residences would only be in two long 4-6 story buildings. I would expect something like two W6 towers. West 6th (including the town homes) has just over 400 units. So I don't understand on that average sized site how 500 can fit in two 5 story buildings. I was thinking two or three towers around 10-20 stories each.

phxSUNSfan
Aug 3, 2013, 1:30 AM
I have to agree with you on this. I don't know how large the site is, but it seems silly to me that the 500 "luxury" residences would only be in two long 4-6 story buildings. I would expect something like two W6 towers. West 6th (including the town homes) has just over 400 units. So I don't understand on that average sized site how 500 can fit in two 5 story buildings. I was thinking two or three towers around 10-20 stories each.

It is a huge site. I don't think there are only two 4-6 story buildings with apartments. I count between 4-6 buildings of various height. There are two long buildings on the block bounded by Myrtle, Mill, 9th and 10th Streets (north block). There are two long buildings on the block bounded by University, Mill, 9th and Myrtle (the hotel block/south block) with 2 other buildings that look like apartments along Myrtle. One of the small square buildings on Myrtle looks like it is connected to the longer building on 10th so I am just counting that as apart of the longer apartment building on the south block. In total I count six if all those buildings are in fact, apartments.

DevilsRider
Aug 3, 2013, 6:46 PM
The new Potbelly on Rural just north of Broadway (behind the Safeway, and next to the Starbucks) is finally opening this week. Yum!!!

From their website:

YOU ARE INVITED! On Monday 8/5 from 11:00-2:00 to attend our Oven Warming. A $5 donation to the Our Lady of Mount Caramel School, will get you a Original Potbelly Sandwich, a bag of chips and a fountain drink!

Our Grand Opening will be Tuesday 8/6!

Jjs5056
Aug 3, 2013, 7:53 PM
That building looks fantastic! Very similar to the Starbucks on Playa del Norte, and is very close to the street.

Took a ride through Tempe... Argo is making progress but hasn't completed a full floor yet. I hope some development occurs along the lake near TCA as I fear the retail component of Argo will struggle without any other retail in the immediate vicinity to complement. I also think it just makes sense to have retail close to TCA. Headed east and though I couldn't navigate all the roads because of the construction, I was able to see a few things. Manzanita's upgrades look great- they've added a lot of glass to the facade, though the glass in the main part behind the triangles looks a bit odd so I am hoping it is just unfinished. The Hub looks great from the ground level- so much retail space (that is doing well from a leasing perspective) with beautiful ground-ceiling glass windows. There is also a ton of retail space at the Marriott- any news for those spaces? I hope the garage adjacent continues to fill up with more than Yoga for the People. Unfortunately, like The Hub, the Marriott is pretty hideous above the first few floors. Very cheap facade materials, and the colors are vile- digesting blend of typical Arizona earth tones.

Finally, I rode down Apache and it is just incredible how much that corridor has transformed. I wish some of the newer ASU construction (Barrett Honors and Villas at Vista) incorporated a few spaces for retail. Seems like a wasted opportunity to not build off the successful Vista del Sol. Regardless, it's a very urban-feeling street with all of this dense development with a great mix of uses, from hotel to dorms to apartments to recreation centers, police stations, and more. The SRC expands aol the way to Apache now- will there be entrances from the street? Looks amazing!

A little disappointed in the State Farm designs. Shade is still lacking, and the garages are just monstrous. Wrapped in retail/residential or not, they are still huge and take up a large portion of the land, destroying the pedestrian scale of the development and making it more difficult for these pedestrians to easily interact with the lake, the retail, Rio Salado, etc. Visually, they make the tall structures look thick and stumpy... The Lofts next-door show much cleaner projects look with underground parking. A shame how much space from Mil to Rural will be wasted on parking,

Overall, a huge win for Tempe and Town Lake! I have to imagine that there will be extra demand for some dense, workforce residential nearby- a tower adjacent to Us Airways would be great.

And, not that there was any doubt in my mind that it was the better choice, the Rio route for the streetcar has to pick up some momentum with this development breaking ground.

Arquitect
Aug 3, 2013, 8:40 PM
That building looks fantastic! Very similar to the Starbucks on Playa del Norte, and is very close to the street.

Took a ride through Tempe... Argo is making progress but hasn't completed a full floor yet. I hope some development occurs along the lake near TCA as I fear the retail component of Argo will struggle without any other retail in the immediate vicinity to complement. I also think it just makes sense to have retail close to TCA. Headed east and though I couldn't navigate all the roads because of the construction, I was able to see a few things. Manzanita's upgrades look great- they've added a lot of glass to the facade, though the glass in the main part behind the triangles looks a bit odd so I am hoping it is just unfinished. The Hub looks great from the ground level- so much retail space (that is doing well from a leasing perspective) with beautiful ground-ceiling glass windows. There is also a ton of retail space at the Marriott- any news for those spaces? I hope the garage adjacent continues to fill up with more than Yoga for the People. Unfortunately, like The Hub, the Marriott is pretty hideous above the first few floors. Very cheap facade materials, and the colors are vile- digesting blend of typical Arizona earth tones.

Finally, I rode down Apache and it is just incredible how much that corridor has transformed. I wish some of the newer ASU construction (Barrett Honors and Villas at Vista) incorporated a few spaces for retail. Seems like a wasted opportunity to not build off the successful Vista del Sol. Regardless, it's a very urban-feeling street with all of this dense development with a great mix of uses, from hotel to dorms to apartments to recreation centers, police stations, and more. The SRC expands aol the way to Apache now- will there be entrances from the street? Looks amazing!

A little disappointed in the State Farm designs. Shade is still lacking, and the garages are just monstrous. Wrapped in retail/residential or not, they are still huge and take up a large portion of the land, destroying the pedestrian scale of the development and making it more difficult for these pedestrians to easily interact with the lake, the retail, Rio Salado, etc. Visually, they make the tall structures look thick and stumpy... The Lofts next-door show much cleaner projects look with underground parking. A shame how much space from Mil to Rural will be wasted on parking,

Overall, a huge win for Tempe and Town Lake! I have to imagine that there will be extra demand for some dense, workforce residential nearby- a tower adjacent to Us Airways would be great.

And, not that there was any doubt in my mind that it was the better choice, the Rio route for the streetcar has to pick up some momentum with this development breaking ground.

This is the second comment against the garages, so I feel like I have to address this issue. How are they hideous? The only way you can tell they are a garage, is by seeing it from either a plane or atop Hayden Butte. There is a great disdain towards parking garages in this blog, and almost every project that includes one is chastised. A great example of this is Roosevelt Point. Their garage occupies a minimal footprint, is flanked by retail, and they covered it with an interesting arrangement of metal louvers to not make it look like one of those horrid concrete boxes that we are used to; yet for many it is still a travesty!!! I am sorry, but Phoenix and Tempe are nowhere near being auto independent. Even most of us that would prefer not to drive have to for many reasons. Yes, light rail helps a lot, but many of us can't always chose to use it for everything. For example, if I need to drop of a set of plans for Glendale, or Scottsdale, or even Mesa, I have to drive. The idea that huge projects can either have no parking or have it all underground is ludicrous. I am a huge advocate for pedestrian developments, but the reality is that for those environments to exist, parking garages are a necessity.

Now focusing back to these garages. The project needs the parking because most of the employees will be coming from elsewhere. Even if they all wanted to move to Tempe, there isn't enough housing walking distance from here to house all of them. The garages are a necessity, not a whim.

Underground was not an option. First off, the cost would be astronomical, and it would probably end up taking money away from something up top. The lake creates a big obstacle for underground parking, since the Army Core of Engineers have very very very strict guidelines. If you notice, TCA is basically elevated on a podium facing the lake, this is because for the ACE, this area is a flood-zone, and therefore any development must be above it. If Marina Heights went underground, they would have had to build huge retention walls, as well as install extremely expensive flood mitigating mechanisms, and had to deal with the slow bureaucratic process. All this added to what already is an expensive process.

Walkability is about what is experienced at the pedestrian level, and what pedestrians will experience in this project is tons of retail, the entire bottom level is occupied by uses other than parking. So even if it is a large parking structure, it doesn't become a dead block. Furthermore, the garage is actually covered by an interesting looking facade, so even if you look up, you won't be looking at the cars. And even beyond that, the structure for the parking garage is not just used for parking, but both garages also have two of the towers set atop them. This is not a garage, it is a mix-use building.

I truly believe that when finished, this will probably be the best looking parking garage in the entire valley, and the reality is that most people will probably never know that it is a garage.

As for the issue of shade. The renderings actually show that the central spaces will actually be pretty shaded. Buildings flanking the south, east and west sides should block a lot of the sun most of the day; plus, the renderings show a lot of trees being panted. I'd argue that the design provides a pretty comfortable space. Now, along the lake is a different issue, but that is part of the city of Tempe, not of this development.

phxSUNSfan
Aug 3, 2013, 9:08 PM
As for the issue of shade. The renderings actually show that the central spaces will actually be pretty shaded. Buildings flanking the south, east and west sides should block a lot of the sun most of the day; plus, the renderings show a lot of trees being panted. I'd argue that the design provides a pretty comfortable space. Now, along the lake is a different issue, but that is part of the city of Tempe, not of this development.

I have to agree about the shade. There will be plenty of trees near the development. Buildings will be constructed in a manner that adds shade. I also bet that some shading elements will be added but were not represented in the details for these renderings.

I do not see this development as an impediment for pedestrians. For one, there is a huge plaza and two different walking surfaces lakeside. It also looks as though the sidewalks along Rio Salado will be expanded. With retail flaking the entire ground floor of the development, it will be plenty walkable. I wish we were able to do with less parking in downtown Phoenix and Tempe ... but that will take some time. As more is developed and residential development becomes far more dense, the price for incorporating plentiful parking will be prohibitive. More will get built with less space for cars. However, even cities like Seattle haven't abandoned parking garages. The new Amazon headquarters in Seattle will have a ton of parking even though Seattle is one of the most walkable, bike-friendly, and transit-friendly cities.

PHXFlyer11
Aug 3, 2013, 9:58 PM
Also remember, these spaces are needed for parking for ASU games, so they are not solely for State Farm.

I can't imagine the streetcar not going up Rio Salado now. Especially since Mesa is looking at funding it to Wrigleyville West. Along the way it could pick up Tempe Marketplace and spur development along the south bank between Rural and McClintock. That would be incredible!

Can't wait to see Tempe in another 10 years. The momentum now is exciting! If only they build some high-rise condos, id consider moving back.

Phoenician
Aug 4, 2013, 12:21 AM
I'm wondering if in 10 years Tempe won't be considered the true downtown of the metro area. Its already the most mixed use of the DT Phoenix/DT Tempe/Old Town Scottsdale urban trifecta and is on the cusp of being the desest. Furthermore, and what I see driving the increasing centralization of things in Tempe its that it is the only "node" that has good transit access to the other two (and to the West Valley), the only one with a true waterfront demanding of greater density (because of its effect on property values), and the only one with really good urban planning.

nickw252
Aug 4, 2013, 12:57 AM
I'm wondering if in 10 years Tempe won't be considered the true downtown of the metro area. Its already the most mixed use of the DT Phoenix/DT Tempe/Old Town Scottsdale urban trifecta and is on the cusp of being the desest. Furthermore, and what I see driving the increasing centralization of things in Tempe its that it is the only "node" that has good transit access to the other two (and to the West Valley), the only one with a true waterfront demanding of greater density (because of its effect on property values), and the only one with really good urban planning.

It won't. Tempe will remain the college town, Scottsdale will be the tourist and resort area, Phoenix will be the central business district.

phxSUNSfan
Aug 4, 2013, 1:04 AM

No, and there are a few reasons. The lack of skyscrapers/highrises and the inability to build a true skyline due to the proximity to Sky Harbor. While Tempe has ASU Main and State Farm (soon), downtown Phoenix has the City of Phoenix, the County, and is the financial/law office epicenter of the region (not just the metro area or state, but the Southwest and competes with Denver). It also has amenities like U.S. Airways Center and Chase Field. Central Phoenix is more densely populated than Tempe ... even during the school year. Downtown Phoenix will have a second leg of the light rail connecting it to the most densely populated area in the Southwest, Maryvale and the 79th Ave Park and Ride lot. The state's busiest bus routes run through downtown/Central Phoenix. Central Phoenix also has many more large historic districts that add to the charm of the area. As more historic districts (Coronado, Garfield, Melrose) continue to improve, it will become even more popular.

Downtown Phoenix also has many more empty lots that are prime for development and a few more organic districts that have so much potential like Roosevelt Row, Grand Ave (though it is technically outside of the downtown core), and Evans Churchill. The museums, opera, and two growing campuses (ASU and UofA) are hard to duplicate. However, downtown Tempe and downtown Phoenix nicely complement each other and that will only become more evident as they both continue to grow.

Arquitect
Aug 4, 2013, 2:07 AM

Like the comments above, I also don't believe that Tempe will become the "true downtown" of the metro area, but for different reasons. The truth is that even though downtown Phoenix is indeed the cultural, legislative, and litigious core of the valley, Phoenix Metro is not a single core city. The term multinodal gets thrown around a lot when talking about vast urban areas, and it doesn't always apply, but the Valley is a prime example of this. It won't be the singular downtown, because we don't have a singular downtown. We have several nodes, that actually compliment and work with each other more than we like to believe.

The idea that nick posted about Scottsdale, Phoenix, and Tempe being single use entities is no longer true, and will continue to be shattered as the cities diversify. Tempe is no longer a just a college town; not only because of State Farm, but for a long time, the city has been working hard to bring more offices, and residential developments to its core. The recession slowed them down, but Tempe has a very clear goal of the type of growth it wants to have. ASU will always be a central component of Tempe, and a huge driver behind its success, but many of the projects we are seeing proposed are looking to expand beyond that (Ironically, even those proposed by ASU themselves).

Phoenix now has ASU's downtown campus, which has been one of the most important components of its resurgence. And a lot of its growth is happening around education and research. While Scottsdale is also building offices and a lot of residential projects in its core. And these are not the only nodes in the valley.

Tempe has the fortune of both being landlocked, and being smaller than most other cities in the valley. Coming to consensus on big plans and political decisions is a lot easier for them than most other cities. And they have also been fortunate to have great leaders that actually cared about the future of the city. That is why we are seeing all this momentum. But 10 years from now, we will probably see more density and growth in the rest of the urban cores, and hopefully a lot more connectivity among them.

phxSUNSfan
Aug 4, 2013, 2:40 AM
I like Arquitect's thinking; however, I do see downtown Phoenix remaining and becoming a "true" downtown in the coming years. For one, while nodes will develop they will not be on the scale of what will be offered downtown. As more transit is developed, downtown Phoenix will be the terminus. It has the largest available footprint to grow into existing but underutilized urban bones; not just in the downtown core but along Central Ave. I expect housing to develop in downtown Phoenix at a rapid pace in the next 10 years.

The success of existing apartment buildings and the popularity of Roosevelt Point and The Residences at CityScape will only entice more builders to invest. I can't wait for the TOD/mixed use building to break ground later this year on 1st Ave and Roosevelt and once Portland Place Phase II gets going, the dominoes will quickly fall. This is outside of downtown, but the proposed apartment building near Arizona Opera on 1st Ave north of McDowell could have a similar effect for Central and McDowell. It is so sad that this intersection with prime real estate has so many vacant lots. If it weren't for the recession we would have 3 sleek condo towers on the NW corner.

I wouldn't call Old Town Scottsdale urban. While Old Town Scottsdale is getting a few large apartment and condo developments, its utter over-reliance on cars and phobia of mass transit will keep it from truly becoming an urban zone. When I visit friends who live there I get a sense that it is more of a moderately dense, uber-White, resort living "main street" area with kitschy shops and galleries. There is nothing really organic, gritty, or diverse about Scottsdale. In my book that will forever keep Old Town in suburban territory. I think Tempe will add a few more highrises but will be packed with more mid to low rise structures that offer density. It will feel different than downtown Phoenix which is a good thing. We'll have some great places to take out-of-town guests.

PHXFlyer11
Aug 4, 2013, 3:06 AM
Going back to USA Place... I really wish there was a condo component to it and it wasn't all apartments, oh well.

It is interested that Jerry C. delivered USA BB to Tempe. If I recall, many blamed him for the Cardinals stadium not being built on the north bank of the lake, however I know the official reason was the FAA. I wonder if this is his way of throwing Tempe a bone.

Probably more likely however, is that his investment company purchased an office building in Tempe (I believe it is the US Airways building if I remember correctly) and this will benefit him in the long run by adding residential and hotel, restaurants, shops but not add too much office capacity. Win-win.

phxSUNSfan
Aug 4, 2013, 3:19 AM
Going back to USA Place... I really wish there was a condo component to it and it wasn't all apartments, oh well.

I was thinking that as well. However, condo conversions in the future aren't out of the question. Many cities start off with rentals and convert to condo property as the area continues to develop and attract long-term residents. Even NYC (Manhattan) was dominated by rental units before mass conversions in the late 90's and into the 2000's.

I do remember Jerry Colangelo and John F. Long getting a good deal of the blame for the development moving to Glendale, and with good reason. Colangelo and Long were bullish on developing that area and over speculated with the rest of them. The FAA and Phoenix also share some blame for the stadium not being built north of Town Lake. I think it would have been a great spot but the Arizona Tourism and Sports Authority was worried about the lack of parking adjacent to the stadium. This was also the issue for downtown Phoenix ... that, the Urban Form Code, and the impossibility of piecing together enough land from various owners to build the thing. It would have killed the biomeds campus so I am glad it wasn't built in that area of downtown Phoenix.

Jjs5056
Aug 4, 2013, 3:30 AM
This is the second comment against the garages, so I feel like I have to address this issue. How are they hideous? The only way you can tell they are a garage, is by seeing it from either a plane or atop Hayden Butte. There is a great disdain towards parking garages in this blog, and almost every project that includes one is chastised. A great example of this is Roosevelt Point. Their garage occupies a minimal footprint, is flanked by retail, and they covered it with an interesting arrangement of metal louvers to not make it look like one of those horrid concrete boxes that we are used to; yet for many it is still a travesty!!! I am sorry, but Phoenix and Tempe are nowhere near being auto independent. Even most of us that would prefer not to drive have to for many reasons. Yes, light rail helps a lot, but many of us can't always chose to use it for everything. For example, if I need to drop of a set of plans for Glendale, or Scottsdale, or even Mesa, I have to drive. The idea that huge projects can either have no parking or have it all underground is ludicrous. I am a huge advocate for pedestrian developments, but the reality is that for those environments to exist, parking garages are a necessity.

Now focusing back to these garages. The project needs the parking because most of the employees will be coming from elsewhere. Even if they all wanted to move to Tempe, there isn't enough housing walking distance from here to house all of them. The garages are a necessity, not a whim.

Underground was not an option. First off, the cost would be astronomical, and it would probably end up taking money away from something up top. The lake creates a big obstacle for underground parking, since the Army Core of Engineers have very very very strict guidelines. If you notice, TCA is basically elevated on a podium facing the lake, this is because for the ACE, this area is a flood-zone, and therefore any development must be above it. If Marina Heights went underground, they would have had to build huge retention walls, as well as install extremely expensive flood mitigating mechanisms, and had to deal with the slow bureaucratic process. All this added to what already is an expensive process.

Walkability is about what is experienced at the pedestrian level, and what pedestrians will experience in this project is tons of retail, the entire bottom level is occupied by uses other than parking. So even if it is a large parking structure, it doesn't become a dead block. Furthermore, the garage is actually covered by an interesting looking facade, so even if you look up, you won't be looking at the cars. And even beyond that, the structure for the parking garage is not just used for parking, but both garages also have two of the towers set atop them. This is not a garage, it is a mix-use building.

I truly believe that when finished, this will probably be the best looking parking garage in the entire valley, and the reality is that most people will probably never know that it is a garage.

I appreciate the additional information - I didn't know the obstacles in the way of developing underground parking, and I didn't realize the private developers were not able to contribute landscaping toward the linear park by the lake.

I wouldn't expect a development of this size to NOT include parking. However, with the Lofts next-door utilizing an underground parking garage, I assumed this was a viable alternative. What is allowing them to build one, but not Marina Heights?

Maybe I am not looking at the complete set of renderings, because the ones that I am seeing don't make it clear that there will be retail around the entire ground level. From what I see, there will be spaces on the inside corners of the garages facing into the interior of the project. When I mentioned these garages having an impact on the pedestrian experience, I am referring to visibility; shaded paths and nodes would otherwise exist if these 2 outter structures were taller, slender towers. Retail-lined paths would make the offerings visible from all perspectives (north-south from Rio to the Lake), instead of this current layout. The middle of the development is much more appropriate- though, I still want to see a perspective from Rio Salado. Look at HFL. That massive garage completely cuts off Rio Salado, and though there is retail on the one side, it is completely invisible from the street. Now imagine that x2. It will hurt the connectivity between Rio Salado, these buildings, and the lake if this project is developed similarly.

These are just concerns I am noticing from the renderings- I hope as we see more, or as the buildings are created, that my worries will subside and that care will be given to how the buildings and retail are situated to avoid something like HFL which has been completely unsuccessful in unifying lakefront development with downtown/the community. That project is essentially's Tempe's version of Arizona Center - great to get office, retail, etc. in the area, but very cut off from the existing city.

Lastly, in terms of Roosevelt Point, much of the complaining was done before they added those metal grates; for quite a while, it was a massive concrete structure that took up almost exactly the same footprint as the apartments themselves. Additionally, to say that it is wrapped in retail is a huge exaggeration. If anything, there is one retail space on the east side; otherwise, there is nothing mixed use about it. And, I am sorry, but that garage is indefensible. The nature of downtown Phx (with its overzoned land and superblocks) means that we need projects that are as dense as possible and that make the most intelligent use of the land if we are ever to get a critical mass. 6-story residential projects are already pushing it, but to dedicate half of that project's land to a one-use parking structure is just not ideal, and the purpose of this forum, I thought, was to discuss the best solutions for urban issues in our city. I am totally open to discussing the garages at Marina Heights - as I TOTALLY agree they've done a *good* job at integrating them into the development. But, I won't concede that the Roosevelt Point garage did not deserve criticism.

There have been great solutions to parking all over the Metro: Grigio Metro wrapped its garage in residential and retail, Freeport McMoran and 44 Monroe dedicated their bases to a garage, West 6th has underground parking, etc. Creating massive deadzones should never be excused here, which is what the Roosevelt Point and HFL garages did, and what I hope the Marina Heights ones don't do.

phxSUNSfan
Aug 4, 2013, 3:48 AM
I appreciate the additional information - I didn't know the obstacles in the way of developing underground parking, and I didn't realize the private developers were not able to contribute landscaping toward the linear park by the lake.

I wouldn't expect a development of this size to NOT include parking. However, with the Lofts next-door utilizing an underground parking garage, I assumed this was a viable alternative. What is allowing them to build one, but not Marina Heights?

Maybe I am not looking at the complete set of renderings, because the ones that I am seeing don't make it clear that there will be retail around the entire ground level.

My other issue with the garages is that they likely turn their back on Rio Salado. Look at HFL.

I am not sure, but I think Tempe will be responsible for planting vegetation and trees near the lake. They may require the developer to help but since it is a city park it falls on Tempe to get it done.

One reason Bridgeview (the condos) might not have an issue with their parking garage is simply due to size. Building less than 100 spots underground is completely different than building garages with thousands of spaces.
I also believe that the garage for Bridgeview is only partially underground.

Retail will wrap around Marina Heights as per the description of the project. Here is an animation of the development:

http://vimeo.com/71303533 and

http://ktar.com/22/1652857/Marina-Heights-animation-shows-Tempe-Town-Lake-in-2015

There really isn't much more detail, but you can see the ground floor entrances a little better since they are lit. I would also like more street and ground level views of Marina Heights but there shouldn't be too much concern about the development "turning its back" on Rio Salado.

The developers purposely positioned the garages further back in order for the buildings and retail to face Rio Salado. Too bad you couldn't make it to Sun Devil Stadium on Tuesday for the presentation. Retail will be a huge component for this development.
The "showcase" on that same day at the Mission Palms also had more renderings and displays.

I don't really see the dead zone created by Roosevelt Point's garage. However, I do think it should have been underground. The garage takes up less than a quarter of the land for the project since the entire thing spans a block and a half. Retail lines the garage on 3rd and 4th.

I am not sure if there is anything on Garfield. Here is a photo of RoPo (haha!) that actually shows how the garage isn't really that imposing. Those two open spots on 4th are retail spaces:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/774417_400480036706114_1047142105_o.jpg

Phoenician
Aug 4, 2013, 1:28 PM
I'm glad my comments have spurred some interesting discussion. I would just point out that skyscrapers do not a downtown make. For instance, all of the skyscrapers in the DC metro are in Rosslyn but the spectacular midrise density of the Federal Triangle makes it the true downtown.

Likewise, I alwas get the feeling that Tempe has a much larger contiguous area of built up density than phoenix. Empty lots. surface parking, even lots without ground-floor retail are thin on the ground between Ash and Rural Apache and the lake.

And while it is true that law remain headquartered downtown, Microsoft, State Farm, US Air --> American Airlines, Bank of SV, and KPMG have given Tempe's buisness community a solid foundation.

Jjs5056
Aug 4, 2013, 5:57 PM
I am not sure, but I think Tempe will be responsible for planting vegetation and trees near the lake. They may require the developer to help but since it is a city park it falls on Tempe to get it done.

One reason Bridgeview (the condos) might not have an issue with their parking garage is simply due to size. Building less than 100 spots underground is completely different than building garages with thousands of spaces.
I also believe that the garage for Bridgeview is only partially underground.

Retail will wrap around Marina Heights as per the description of the project. Here is an animation of the development:

http://vimeo.com/71303533 and

http://ktar.com/22/1652857/Marina-Heights-animation-shows-Tempe-Town-Lake-in-2015

There really isn't much more detail, but you can see the ground floor entrances a little better since they are lit. I would also like more street and ground level views of Marina Heights but there shouldn't be too much concern about the development "turning its back" on Rio Salado.

The developers purposely positioned the garages further back in order for the buildings and retail to face Rio Salado. Too bad you couldn't make it to Sun Devil Stadium on Tuesday for the presentation. Retail will be a huge component for this development.
The "showcase" on that same day at the Mission Palms also had more renderings and displays.

I don't really see the dead zone created by Roosevelt Point's garage. However, I do think it should have been underground. The garage takes up less than a quarter of the land for the project since the entire thing spans a block and a half. Retail lines the garage on 3rd and 4th.

I am not sure if there is anything on Garfield. Here is a photo of RoPo (haha!) that actually shows how the garage isn't really that imposing. Those two open spots on 4th are retail spaces:

You lost me at RoPo. :)

Thanks for the video link for Marina Heights. I've read that there will be a ton of ground floor retail, but my concern was how and where it was situated, not just the amount. From the video, I can see the "interior" sides of each have what looks to be retail extending all the way north-south, which is great; the lake perspective made it seems like there was only a space on the corner. But, there still looks like there will be a large blank space facing the lake and I hope that isn't mirrored on the Rio side.

In reality, I think we will just have to see the finished product and how it interacts with the lake and Rio. I just wish the buildings were a bit more slender and unique, rather than boxy and similar to what we would see at Fountainhead. The positives of the project outweigh the negative by a mile, and while I think it is important to still be critical and make sure high-profile projects are done right, I will save my aggression for CityScape-scale failures.

Finally, Is there really retail facing 3rd and 4th on the ground level of the Roosevelt Point garage? That wasn't shown in the original plans and wasn't there the last time I checked it out. Were you able to look inside the garage to see whether they have built out the spaces (just asking because some garages use storefront windows on the ground level but don't actually have built out rooms). That would certainly change my mind. I still think it is a waste of prime space to use it on yet another garage, but my "dead zones" comment would be moot at least, which was made based on the last I saw of construction and Roosevelt-McKinley lacked any retail. Also, Remember that there is another garage planned for Bio campus just across the street, so I'm very sensitive to the fact that one of the best organically-growing neighborhoods in central Phoenix is getting its future growth stymied by massive, permanent parking structures.

phxSUNSfan
Aug 4, 2013, 6:15 PM
And while it is true that law remain headquartered downtown, Microsoft, State Farm, US Air --> American Airlines, Bank of SV, and KPMG have given Tempe's buisness community a solid foundation.

U.S. Air is leaving. However, downtown Phoenix is home to more regional and national headquarters: Chase, US Bank, Wells Fargo, Alliance, Bank of America, etc. etc. So it isn't just the major law offices in downtown Phoenix. Not to mention that a few of Arizona's largest employers are in or near downtown: Freeport McMoRan, APS, Banner Health, the State, etc. While highrises and skyscrapers don't necessarily make a downtown, it is hard to replicate their employment density for limited downtown areas like those in Tempe and Phoenix. For instance, downtown Phoenix is very small compared to downtown in other major cities: downtown Seattle is over 3 square miles whereas downtown Phoenix is just a little over 1 (downtown Tempe may be even smaller).

Jjs5056
Aug 4, 2013, 6:28 PM
U.S. Air is leaving. However, downtown Phoenix is home to more regional and national headquarters: Chase, US Bank, Wells Fargo, Alliance, Bank of America, etc. etc. So it isn't just the major law offices in downtown Phoenix. Not to mention that a few of Arizona's largest employers are in or near downtown: Freeport McMoRan, APS, Banner Health, the State, etc. While highrises and skyscrapers don't necessarily make a downtown, it is hard to replicate their employment density for limited downtown areas like those in Tempe and Phoenix. For instance, downtown Phoenix is very small compared to downtown in other major cities: downtown Seattle is over 3 square miles whereas downtown Phoenix is just a little over 1 (downtown Tempe may be even smaller).

This highlights the importance of Phoenix luring some more companies downtown; a shame we have lost so many headquarters to North Scottsdle or the Desert Ridge area. I will never let go of Hoover's (or was it HX?) amazing idea for PetSmart and ColdStone towers downtown; the former being anchored by a state of the art dog park and the latter with a hands-on "factory," here you could sample flavors or maybe even create your own flavor or something. Those type of headquarters solve so many of downtown's issues: central employment, new towers, true destinations/attractions, family-friendly fun, etc.

To tie this into Tempe, I will say a win for Tempe is a win for Phoenix given the light rail connection and proximity. I would say the same if Central/Camelback was Scottsdale's CBD; but, unfortunately, the Airpark and other northern employment hubs are huge problems for our metro.

phxSUNSfan
Aug 4, 2013, 6:30 PM
You lost me at RoPo. :)

Thanks for the video link for Marina Heights. I've read that there will be a ton of ground floor retail, but my concern was how and where it was situated, not just the amount.

Retail will be situated along Rio Salado, and wrapped around the garage: mostly the Rio Salado and plaza-facing ground floor areas. There will be retail along the lakeside and it looks like it will take up about half of the garage. There will be more than retail though; there will be services and other small offices along the ground level of the development.

In reality, I think we will just have to see the finished product and how it interacts with the lake and Rio. I just wish the buildings were a bit more slender and unique, rather than boxy and similar to what we would see at Fountainhead.

We can be critical all we want but we don't influence the design ... unless you made your voice heard at the Council Meeting. I too am not a huge fan of the boxy buildings but I think these look rather unique and will offer a nice contrast to HFL.

Finally, Is there really retail facing 3rd and 4th on the ground level of the Roosevelt Point garage?

Yep, you can see it when you pass by. I do believe that retail had always been planned for the garage along 3rd and 4th. I could be wrong and someone who has followed the development more closely would know more than me. I asked about retail spaces when I inquired about units a few weeks ago. I have friends moving to Phoenix who were interested but it looks like they are out of luck. The 1 bedrooms they wanted at RoPo will likely be leased by the time they make it here in late Sept/early Oct.

phxSUNSfan
Aug 4, 2013, 6:39 PM
I will never let go of Hoover's (or was it HX?) amazing idea for PetSmart and ColdStone towers downtown; the former being anchored by a state of the art dog park and the latter with a hands-on "factory," here you could sample flavors or maybe even create your own flavor or something.

To tie this into Tempe, I will say a win for Tempe is a win for Phoenix given the light rail connection and proximity. I would say the same if Central/Camelback was Scottsdale's CBD; but, unfortunately, the Airpark and other northern employment hubs are huge problems for our metro.

It would be nice if those companies were located downtown. To be fair, development of already existing office space would have been necessary to attract those companies IMO. They built headquarter space themselves using cheap land and value-engineered suburban office parks. It would have been many times more expensive for those companies to build downtown. Those companies don't strike me as the type to spend real cash on prime, urban real estate.

I do agree that development along or near light rail is a win for both cities, Scottsdale, not so much. Scottsdale is more isolated and insulated from the rest of the metro area. It may be possible for Phoenix and Tempe to lure companies out of the bunkers in the Air Park and North Scottsdale. Creating unique downtown areas is a good start.

Jjs5056
Aug 4, 2013, 6:41 PM
It will be situated along Rio Salado, and wrapped around the garage: mostly the Rio Salado and Plaza facing ground floor areas. There will be retail along the lakeside and it looks like it will take up about half of the garage. There will be more than retail though; there will be services and other small offices along the ground level of the development. You love the name RoPo! ;)

We can be critical all we want but we don't influence the design ... unless you made your voice heard at the Council Meeting. I too am not a huge fan of the boxy buildings, but I think these look rather unique and will offer a nice contrast to HFL.

Yep, you can see it when you pass by. I see it quite often since I am in the area almost daily. I do believe that retail had always been planned for the garage along 3rd and 4th. I could be wrong and someone who has followed the development more closely would know more than me. I asked about retail spaces when I inquired about units a few months ago. I have friends moving to Phoenix who were interested but it looks like they are out of luck for the 1 bedrooms they wanted at RoPo; looks like those units will all leased by the time they make it here in late Sept/early Oct.

Wait, you mean they aren't going to scrap their plans if I keep whining? Dang. Just kidding, but last question- are there images of the Rio Salado perspective or is that just info from the presentation? If they get this thing to activate both Rio and the lake, I won't say another bad word. From the "mixed use" live/work residential near Hardy all the way up to, and including HFL, not s single project has successfully interacted with Rio Salado. I'm hopeful Argo and Lofts at Hayden Ferry will break the trend, and Marina Heights if you are to be trusted... Well, the developers, I suppose.

RP's Facebook just confirmed- there is only retail along Roosevelt, and 1 additional space on the ground level of the garage at Garfield/4th. Nothing on the south building, nothing along 3rd, nothing along Garfield, and only one spot along 4th. :shrug:

I do agree that development along or near light rail is a win for both cities, Scottsdale, not so much. Scottsdale is more isolated and insulated from the rest of the metro area. It may be possible for Phoenix and Tempe to lure companies out of the bunkers in the Air Park and North Scottsdale. Creating unique downtown areas is a good start.

Scottsdale is a distant third in terms of where I'd like commercial development/companies moving to. But, I think it ranks above the Biltmore, for sure; with all of the dense residential development, attractive nightlife and shopping, and cultural amenities in the Camelback/Scottsdale area, it is turning into a pretty sustainable and well-planned city. Lack of transit is a huge negative, but its close promixity to downtown Phoenix and Tempe make it the lesser of quite a few other evils in terms of poaching jobs from the big 2 (Tempe and downtown Phoenix). I don't think Scottsdale will ever lose its status as the more upscale and nightlife, shopping, and entertainment hub, so I think ensuring that development is centralized is a smart thing to plan for. It would suck (not just for Scottsdale) if something similar happened to Scottsdale as it did Downtown Phx- as jobs keep moving to the Airpark, will residential, retail and other commercial development follow and leave the Old Town area dry? Doubtful, but certainly possible if these job-growth patterns continue, I would think.

Officially way too far off topic. I apologize.

phxSUNSfan
Aug 4, 2013, 6:49 PM
Wait, you mean they aren't going to scrap their plans if I keep whining? Dang. Just kidding, but last question- are there images of the Rio Salado perspective or is that just info from the presentation? If they get this thing to activate both Rio and the lake, I won't say another bad word. From the "mixed use" live/work residential near Hardy all the way up to, and including HFL, not s single project has successfully interacted with Rio Salado. I'm hopeful Argo and Lofts at Hayden Ferry will break the trend, and Marina Heights if you are to be trusted... Well, the developers, I suppose.

RP's Facebook just confirmed- there is only retail along Roosevelt, and 1 additional space on the ground level of the garage at Garfield/4th. Nothing on the south building, nothing along 3rd, nothing along Garfield, and only one spot along 4th. :shrug:

Scottsdale will remain kitschy and resort oriented (and uber-White). I am not a huge fan of Scottsdale but I think it will keep most of its central residential base even if the worse of climate change and energy cost predictions come to fruition. I don't think any suburb without mass transit is sustainable. In that regard, Mesa is ahead of Scottsdale.

If I remember the "tour" of RoPo correctly, the ground floor in the south building will house amenities for the residents and "gallery" space for displaying art/info. On 3rd there was office space on that corner of Garfield. It might have been for security though. I wonder if they are counting the entire space in the garage as one retail spot. It looks like two small shops could go in there but maybe they are looking to lease to a slightly larger retailer? I don't have Facebook, so what exactly did they say will be happening along Garfield? Nothing?

I agree, so far HFL has not been built up to Rio Salado. From what I have heard that is about to change with Argo, Marina Heights, and Hayden Ferry III going in next to that loathsome garage. I wish they would do something more with the Mill. The plans they had for it were fairly interesting.
http://www.weknowurban.com/public/img/properties/main/hayden-flour-mill.jpg

Spitfiredude
Aug 4, 2013, 8:41 PM
I have been looking for a source, but I remember reading something in the Republic that said something like 7-10% of the Valley workforce works in downtown Phoenix. An additional 5% works in the Biltmore district. I'd like to see the statistic on DT Tempe. Although I don't believe Tempe will be (and already is) the primary downtown of the Valley, it will be a top destination for the Valley. It is much more diverse than any other area. College, offices, diverse residential (student, retirement, and professionals), hotels, conference centers, restaurants, theater, retail, heavy club life, sports centers, the lake, light rail, soon-to-be streetcar, the butte, etc. No where in the Valley is as diverse as Tempe and that's the bottom line. Tempe is the most well designed and planned. As far as height, Phoenix will always have the tallest buildings in the Valley.

As far as Scottsdale goes, I am glad public transit has not extended into that city. Public transit would bring lower income people into Scottsdale and that's just not its character. Scottsdale is a high-income area, and needs to remain a high-income area. Every metro area has areas such as Scottsdale/PV.

Arquitect
Aug 4, 2013, 8:41 PM
Scottsdale will remain kitschy and resort oriented (and uber-White). I am not a huge fan of Scottsdale but I think it will keep most of its central residential base even if the worse of climate change and energy cost predictions come to fruition. I don't think any suburb without mass transit is sustainable. In that regard, Mesa is ahead of Scottsdale.

If I remember the "tour" of RoPo correctly, the ground floor in the south building will house amenities for the residents and "gallery" space for displaying art/info. On 3rd there was office space on that corner of Garfield. It might have been for security though. I wonder if they are counting the entire space in the garage as one retail spot. It looks like two small shops could go in there but maybe they are looking to lease to a slightly larger retailer? I don't have Facebook, so what exactly did they say will be happening along Garfield? Nothing?

I agree, so far HFL has not been built up to Rio Salado. From what I have heard that is about to change with Argo, Marina Heights, and Hayden Ferry III going in next to that loathsome garage. I wish they would do something more with the Mill. The plans they had for it were fairly interesting.
http://www.weknowurban.com/public/img/properties/main/hayden-flour-mill.jpg

From my conversations with some of the people involved, the city still wishes to continue to do something with the Mill. Lack of funds is an issue at the moment, since the original plan was quite costly, and even though finances for the city are improving, there is not a lot of support yet for a big move like this.

Hopefully in the near future we can see some work on the Mill.

phxSUNSfan
Aug 4, 2013, 8:59 PM
It is much more diverse than any other area. College, offices, diverse residential (student, retirement, and professionals), hotels, conference centers, restaurants, theater, retail, heavy club life, sports centers, the lake, light rail, soon-to-be streetcar, the butte, etc. No where in the Valley is as diverse as Tempe and that's the bottom line. Tempe is the most well designed and planned. As far as height, Phoenix will always have the tallest buildings in the Valley.

Actually, Phoenix is much more diverse in nearly all of those categories than Tempe (save the natural features). Tempe and Scottsdale have one type of nightlife/bar scene while downtown Phoenix has everything from gay to hipster and the community is more culturally diverse to boot.

As far as Scottsdale goes, I am glad public transit has not extended into that city. Public transit would bring lower income people into Scottsdale and that's just not its character. Scottsdale is a high-income area, and needs to remain a high-income area. Every metro area has areas such as Scottsdale/PV.

That is one reason I feel uncomfortable in Scottsdale; not because it is high-income but "low-income" is code for "minorities" in that city even if they have money. When I have to shop in Scottsdale I dread it especially if I'm with darker-skinned friends. Going with Black friends to shop in Scottsdale is eyeopening. It is completely different than going to the Biltmore where even if you go into Saks wearing gym clothes you get treated like you're about to drop serious cash ... no matter your skin color.

I think only in conservative states do people consider mass transit a conduit for attracting low-income folk. Boston, San Diego, Seattle, San Fran, Manhattan, Portland, Minneapolis, etc. are all connected by transit even in affluent areas that would put Scottsdale to shame. I think your comment is very ignorant. The point of mass transit in cities like Tempe and Phoenix is to attract higher paid knowledge workers that are mainstays in the above cities.

According to a new study from the Brookings Institute, Phoenix's CBD (within 3 miles) accounts for 18.1% (255,634 jobs) of total metro employment. Which is significant but below the 100 largest metro national average of 22%. Within 3-10 miles of the CBD accounts for 35.9% (507,227) of total metro employment. This is very significant and above the 100 largest metro average of 34.1%. 10-35 miles from the CBD 46% (649,817) of employment is accounted for. This is also very significant and above the national average of 43.1%.

Central Phoenix accounts for 54% of total metro employment since Tempe and Scottsdale are outside the 10 mile zone of the CBD. However, within 3 miles of Phoenix's CBD over 80,000 jobs have been lost between 2000-2010. Areas 10-35 miles from the CBD have gained 173,982 within that decade. Still, Phoenix's downtown and CBD remain the most significant employment centers, by far, in the region. As a comparison, 77.4% (1,069,197) of jobs in metro Detroit are 10-35 miles from the CBD. Only 7.3% (100,699) of jobs are within 3 miles of the CBD which is dramatically different compared to Phoenix.
http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Multimedia/Interactives/2013/job_sprawl/Phoenix.pdf

http://www.brookings.edu/research/reports/2013/04/18-job-sprawl-kneebone

Note that job growth in CBDs (within 3 miles) has begun to increase over the last few years as suburban job growth (job sprawl) is stalling.

An interesting aside about "Job Sprawl and the Suburbanization of Poverty" from 2010. http://www.brookings.edu/research/reports/2010/03/30-job-sprawl-stoll-raphael

Jjs5056
Aug 4, 2013, 11:47 PM

Scottsdale's Urbanity
Well, a suburb with transit running through its downtown that has no grocery or services, very little residential, no shopping and no real employment centers is no more sustainable than a suburb with dense residential development, grocery and services, shopping, and commercial, but no viable mass transit. Scottsdale is creating a very self-sufficient and sustainable city center, even if it is not truly urban in the sense that it is elitist and lacks any kind of diversity. I agree that the comment about being glad that light rail doesn't run through Scottsdale in order to keep up its image is horribly ignorant and offensive.

Please keep in mind that this doesn't mean I like Scottsdale; I actually avoid it and feel just as uncomfortable as you do when I go to the 1 gay bar in the city. I am just pointing out that its downtown really is becoming dense and urban front a planning POV.

Roosevelt Pointe
I don't think there will be any of the gallery space you are mentioning in the south building. According to their social manager, the south building is 100% residential. All retail is along Roosevelt, with 1 space on the corner of 4th and Garfield, as I mentioned. Garfield is garage walls/entrance on the north side, and residential windows/entrance on the south. Ditto 3rd street and most of 4th.

Back to Tempe....
USA Place
Sounds like the residential will indeed only be 4-5 stories at USA Place. The lack of height is disappointing, as I was hoping this would bring at least 3 midrise (10-14 stories) buildings instead of just 1:

http://azbex.com/omni-hotel-usa-basketball-to-develop-350m-mixed-use-downtown-tempe-complex/#

First phase includes 300/500 units and 1 office building. I like the design of the site plan, if it stays the same, in that it incorporates access roads throughout instead of creating a giant mega-block. Also nice to hear 'luxury apartments' instead of 'student housing,' even if 'market rate' or 'owner-occupied' would sound even nicer. :) But, damn it, I want some height! I know we won't get over 300' but these sporadic midrises are killin' me.

Rio Salado
I wouldn't count on HFL III having any impact on activating Rio Salado or creating a better pedestrian connection to the development. All renderings show that the building will be oriented so that the 'peak of the ship' hits the intersection of Rio/Mill. IOW, there won't even be a building entrance fronting the street: the entrance faces inward toward the massive parking structure. A shame, since they redesigned this building back in 2009 to do just that - the building opened to the intersection and incorporated a tall obelisk (def not the right term) to house a ball drop for NYE. But, that redesign has obviously been scratched.

http://www.haydenferry3.com/

The new renderings do show a retail annex on the west side of the garage that doesn't currently exist, though; does anyone know if that is being constructed during this phase?

Loved the last round of rendering for the Mill renovation; really, a 2-story retail (and residential or office on top) structure between the Mill and Mill Avenue would do wonders for the street life on that side of downtown.

phxSUNSfan
Aug 5, 2013, 12:17 AM
Scottsdale's Urbanity
Well, a suburb with transit running through its downtown that has no grocery or services, very little residential, no shopping and no real employment centers is no more sustainable than a suburb with dense residential development, grocery and services, shopping, and commercial, but no viable mass transit. Scottsdale is creating a very self-sufficient and sustainable city center, even if it is not truly urban in the sense that it is elitist and lacks any kind of diversity. I agree that the comment about being glad that light rail doesn't run through Scottsdale in order to keep up its image is horribly ignorant and offensive.

After some real density is created in Tempe and Phoenix, there will be little need to drive around from shop to shop for groceries, clothing, dining, and libations. Having to get in your car for menial daily tasks isn't anyone's definition of urban or sustainable and that will be one of Scottsdale's many issues. It will remain suburban even with moderate density. To leave Scottsdale and get anywhere of consequence (a concert, pro sports event, the airport, a hospital, school, work, a neighboring city, etc. etc. etc.) will require driving.

Roosevelt Pointe
I don't think there will be any of the gallery space you are mentioning in the south building. According to their social manager, the south building is 100% residential. All retail is along Roosevelt, with 1 space on the corner of 4th and Garfield, as I mentioned. Garfield is garage walls/entrance on the north side, and residential windows/entrance on the south. Ditto 3rd street and most of 4th.

I am pretty sure they mentioned gallery space in the south building alongside some of the residential amenities. I'll have to stop by again soon and ask.

Back to Tempe....
USA Place
Sounds like the residential will indeed only be 4-5 stories at USA Place. The lack of height is disappointing, as I was hoping this would bring at least 3 midrise (10-14 stories) buildings instead of just 1

I agree, 2 more midrises on those two blocks would have been ideal. However, the "events center" building and the conference center look like they may be a little taller than the residential.

It is sad they aren't including an entrance to HFL3 at the corner of the building that faces Rio/Mill. That just makes too much sense. I haven't heard anything about additional retail being on the side of the garage but that would be great. Too bad it won't wrap around to front Rio Salado.