PDA

View Full Version : Tempe Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117

TAZ4ate0
Jan 25, 2010, 7:57 PM
^A coffee shop/cafe. Food was pretty good.

Don B.
Jan 25, 2010, 8:18 PM
You know, the place was always crowded. Don't understand why they closed up...

--don

Jsmscaleros
Jan 25, 2010, 9:41 PM
Says who? That's really sad if it is true... I've been going there for at least 6 years. I remember playing board games with college friends back in the undergrad years... Booo.

Don B.
Jan 25, 2010, 9:48 PM
^ It is indeed closed...confirmed on another site by other people that I know personally and consider reliable.

--don

ciweiss
Jan 29, 2010, 12:39 AM
I'm guessing the rent they are trying to get out of these places are to high. They closed Rinaldes on 3rd (I know - spelling) and that place has been vacant for months. Seems they would have done better just to lower the rent. It seems getting 70-80% would be better than getting 0%. I wonder if the owners saw the light rail station and bumped the rent. Either way 3rd is now dead. Two good business gone. Rinaldies (great sandwiches) and Mills End (great place to hang out/ live events). Note to property owners - Mill is not Scottsdale. Empty commercial real estate = not good.

I'm guessing that you need Starbucks kind of traffic to make the rental payments. Dunkin probably didn't help as well. I still think these business are not realizing this is a college town and over charging for most stuff.

On a different note the 5 guys burger place is awesome. A1 sauce on my burger - fantastic. The burgers taste like what you would make yourself with your own bbq. Fries are good to - especially the cajun. I'm a big fan of In/Out but I like this place better. In/Out fries suck.

Vicelord John
Jan 29, 2010, 12:42 AM
In/Out fries suck.

Ass fries is what they are. Anyone who thinks INO has good fries has to be seriously questioned.

RichTempe
Jan 29, 2010, 4:48 AM
Just got back from 5 Guys. The fries are light years ahead of In-n-Out, but it's a toss up for me which ones burgers I like better. They're each good in their own way.

glynnjamin
Jan 29, 2010, 3:48 PM
You want to talk about over-priced ... five guys is outrageous.

Tempe_Duck
Jan 29, 2010, 4:22 PM
INO has much better burgers than Five Guys, I don't know how anybody can hate their frys.

Vicelord John
Jan 29, 2010, 4:29 PM
Well i guess if you were used to the taste of ass you might not find them gross.

Nobody will EVER beat Rally's frys. If you haven't had them i suggest you go now.

Tempe_Duck
Jan 29, 2010, 6:56 PM
Well i guess if you were used to the taste of ass you might not find them gross.

Nobody will EVER beat Rally's frys. If you haven't had them i suggest you go now.

That I do agree with, they do have great frys

glynnjamin
Feb 1, 2010, 2:14 PM
My imagination or didn't Rally's used to have Curly Fries? I remember them being amazing but the Rally's on 24th doesn't carry them. Did they stop doing them or am I mis-remembering?

Don B.
Feb 1, 2010, 3:10 PM
^ I don't recall that, but Rally's 79 cent tacos and their Buford burgers are really quite good. I was impressed.

--don

TAZ4ate0
Feb 1, 2010, 3:14 PM
Yes. I think they used to have curly fries. But, it's been so long since I have been there, my own memory might be serving me wrong.

All of this talk of Rally's has got me hungry for a Rally burger and some of the best damn fries in the land. :D

Leo the Dog
Feb 1, 2010, 3:15 PM
While we're on the topic of fast food, has anyone been to a Culver's before? One just opened on Camelback, so I checked out their menu online and it looks pretty good.

glynnjamin
Feb 1, 2010, 3:42 PM
The one in Surprise is the shittiest thing I've ever eaten. I've never been so sick as I was after eating a quarter of a burger from them. The amount of grease was too much for me to handle. Their cheese curds are okay but everything else they make sucks.
Although, I hear the one in Surprise is the worst of the worst.

Leo the Dog
Feb 1, 2010, 4:08 PM
The one in Surprise is the shittiest thing I've ever eaten. I've never been so sick as I was after eating a quarter of a burger from them. The amount of grease was too much for me to handle. Their cheese curds are okay but everything else they make sucks.
Although, I hear the one in Surprise is the worst of the worst.

What a disappointment...I'll probably try it out anyways. :shrug:

HooverDam
Feb 1, 2010, 11:23 PM
While we're on the topic of fast food, has anyone been to a Culver's before? One just opened on Camelback, so I checked out their menu online and it looks pretty good.

I haven't been to any here in AZ but they had them in MO and Id eat their often enough in college, its pretty tasty.

TAZ4ate0
Feb 8, 2010, 5:02 PM
I took this just a couple weeks ago. Not really development related, but I thought I'd share this awesome sunset pic though. I posted a few more pics here (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=169538).

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4022/4340429613_85c14635cb_b.jpg

NorthScottsdale
Feb 10, 2010, 4:40 PM
ASU moves ahead with priciest building ever
Arizona State University is moving forward to build the most expensive single building in the institution’s history despite the sluggish economy and uncertainty over the state budget.

The $185 million science-and-technology building is planned on the site of a parking lot south of the Biodesign Institute on the Tempe campus.

Rich Stanley, university planner, said officials are finalizing a contract and price with the builder. But he acknowledged they are keeping a close watch on state finances and the university’s overall funding situation before they decide to break ground.

“We have every intention of moving forward,” he said.

All three state universities have seen steep cuts in their state funding this year, and students have seen sharp tuition increases. But university officials are looking at the building as a way to generate more revenue. The building will create more research space with the goal being to bring in additional research grants.

The university plans to finance the structure by using research grant money, a portion of which can used toward general university overhead.

Research funding “is not threatened by the recession,” Stanley said.

The seven-story, building will house earth and space sciences, climate science and renewable and alternative-energy research. The facility, called Interdisciplinary Science and Technology Building IV, fits into ASU President Michael Crow’s vision of ramping up research in energy, engineering and sciences.

Stanley said that once ground is broken, it should take about two years to complete the 293,000-square-foot building. He described the project as very complicated because of the 88,185 square feet of lab space requires more plumbing and special air-filtration systems.

ciweiss
Feb 11, 2010, 10:33 AM
ASU moves ahead with priciest building ever
Arizona State University is moving forward to build the most expensive single building in the institution’s history despite the sluggish economy and uncertainty over the state budget.

The $185 million science-and-technology building is planned on the site of a parking lot south of the Biodesign Institute on the Tempe campus.

Rich Stanley, university planner, said officials are finalizing a contract and price with the builder. But he acknowledged they are keeping a close watch on state finances and the university’s overall funding situation before they decide to break ground.

“We have every intention of moving forward,” he said.

All three state universities have seen steep cuts in their state funding this year, and students have seen sharp tuition increases. But university officials are looking at the building as a way to generate more revenue. The building will create more research space with the goal being to bring in additional research grants.

The university plans to finance the structure by using research grant money, a portion of which can used toward general university overhead.

Research funding “is not threatened by the recession,” Stanley said.

The seven-story, building will house earth and space sciences, climate science and renewable and alternative-energy research. The facility, called Interdisciplinary Science and Technology Building IV, fits into ASU President Michael Crow’s vision of ramping up research in energy, engineering and sciences.

Stanley said that once ground is broken, it should take about two years to complete the 293,000-square-foot building. He described the project as very complicated because of the 88,185 square feet of lab space requires more plumbing and special air-filtration systems.

I'm happy there is a new building being built. I'm a bit surprised though with all the empty buildings around. Perhaps they can build it cheaper during the down economy. I look forward to seeing what the design will look like. Anybody know what the cross streets would be? Just curious what space this may occupy. Is anybody moving into the new Gateway building on Mill? Yet another big empty building...

Leo the Dog
Feb 11, 2010, 12:16 PM
Looks like its gonna be on the SEC of Terrace and McAllister (just west of Rural, north of Apache).

He described the project as very complicated because of the 88,185 square feet of lab space requires more plumbing and special air-filtration systems.

Unlikely ASU would find another building on campus to house all of the new lab space.

Don B.
Feb 11, 2010, 1:22 PM
$185 million for one seven-story building? This is an absurd waste of money in today's fried economic conditions. That's $3,000 for every college student at the ASU main campus, or $1,000 for each and every resident of Tempe. Craziness...

--don

HooverDam
Feb 11, 2010, 1:43 PM
$185 million for one seven-story building? This is an absurd waste of money in today's fried economic conditions. That's $3,000 for every college student at the ASU main campus, or $1,000 for each and every resident of Tempe. Craziness...

--don

Its not like its an office building, its a highly specialized building for high tech science, its gonna be expensive. Its only going to get more expensive if they wait to build it and they have to anyway, waiting would be penny wise pound foolish. Its going to educate people who will have high paying jobs, and help attract a higher caliber of student to ASU, its costly but in the long run should pay off if Arizona ever wants to become a player in the Biosciences field.

That lot where its going to go is the parking lot my family always parked in for ASU football games for years and years, probably the only surface lot I'll ever be kinda sad to see go.

mwadswor
Feb 11, 2010, 4:46 PM
Its going to educate people who will have high paying jobs, and help attract a higher caliber of student to ASU, its costly but in the long run should pay off if Arizona ever wants to become a player in the Biosciences field.

I don't think educating students is the goal, the goal is to attract lots and lots of big research dollars. I don't think there's anything wrong with that goal, I think it's a wise investment, let's just not pretend that this has anything to do with educating students.

combusean
Feb 11, 2010, 5:55 PM
Yeah, you can't compare office buildings to academic buildings: Reason: Office buildings leave the price of tenant improvements out. Academic buildings include all the FF&E in addition to the lab space.

http://www.hdrcuh2a.com/#/Our%20Work/Academic/ASU%20ISTB%20IV.aspx has the renders.

Urban Rising
Feb 11, 2010, 7:38 PM
This particular project was approved and bid out well over a year ago. Sundt is the General Contractor. Unfortunately our lovely JCCR committee with Pierce on it held up the funding, effectively killing the project. The project is gaining steam again and the industry expectation is that it will proceed shortly.

The more exciting Tempe project which is still very prelim is the WP Carey Business School. Here is the link. http://www.asu.edu/purchasing/bids/pdfs/cmar_2008_16503_add_1_conceptual_design.pdf

Don B.
Feb 11, 2010, 7:40 PM
$185 million is still too much money for this project. That's almost the entire annual budget deficit Phoenix is facing this year. Not in this economy, not now.

--don

Urban Rising
Feb 11, 2010, 7:51 PM
While I can appreciate people objecting to spending money in a down economy. Projects like these are critical to actually maintaining and reviving our economy. Projects like this in particular employ 1000's of construction workers who now have money to spend (they are notoriously bad savers), generate profits for local companies which are returned in the form of tax dollars, build general infastructure for long term knowldge growth at the lowest possible price. This is about moving money in this economy and will be a great help with a significantly smaller cost if you account for the soft paybacks that come with the project.

plinko
Feb 11, 2010, 8:33 PM
Wow, that new business school building looks amazing. Where would the tennis courts be moved to?

PHX31
Feb 11, 2010, 9:44 PM
/\ I was wondering about that too... not the tennis courts! But I think there are plenty of tennis courts at the SRC still, not to mention the tennis center.

There is also a new mixed-use "tower" in the planning stages north of University on College.

TAZ4ate0
Feb 11, 2010, 10:30 PM
There is also a new mixed-use "tower" in the planning stages north of University on College.

Really? Right on. I hadn't heard about that. Do you have more info or a link?

Vicelord John
Feb 11, 2010, 10:32 PM
about where dave's doghouse is?

PHX31
Feb 11, 2010, 11:01 PM

http://www.asu.edu/purchasing/bids/construction_bids.html

It's about half-way down. The description is the only thing left as they are evaluating all of the contractor's bids:

"Design, Development, and Management of Mixed Use Project on the Tempe Campus of Arizona State University (Block 12)"

If I remember right, Block 12 is the NWC of College & 7th St.

mwadswor
Feb 11, 2010, 11:07 PM

I wouldn't get that excited, it's not the first plan for that corner and I highly doubt it will be the last.

HooverDam
Feb 12, 2010, 12:39 AM
$185 million is still too much money for this project. That's almost the entire annual budget deficit Phoenix is facing this year. Not in this economy, not now.

--don

So what should they be spending on this building in your expert opinion? Why wait 5 years for the economy to recover, when more inflation has taken place and the cost of construction has gone up and it could cost you 50% more? That makes no sense at all.

AJphx
Feb 13, 2010, 12:01 AM
Cool, I had not seen the business building proposal before, it looks good... and its apparently by Kohn Pedersen Fox which is impressive. It is on KPF's site already: http://www.kpf.com/main.asp If you go to listings by type and education it is at the bottom. Apparently KPF could use an editor for the site as they refer to ASU as Arizonia State University, and seem to be missing words in the description... lol.

And thanks for the update on the ISTB IV building (the science building) guys. I had been wondering about it.
This particular project was approved and bid out well over a year ago. Sundt is the General Contractor. Unfortunately our lovely JCCR committee with Pierce on it held up the funding, effectively killing the project. The project is gaining steam again and the industry expectation is that it will proceed shortly.

thanks for the info. Hopefully it starts soon.

mwadswor
Feb 17, 2010, 11:25 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/community/tempe/articles/2010/02/16/20100216stadiumdistrict0216.html

ASU, legislators explore ways to pay for fixes to athletic facilities

by Alia Beard Rau - Feb. 16, 2010 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

Sun Devil Stadium is slowly rusting away.

The 52-year-old Arizona State University football stadium is safe, officials say. But a 2007 analysis indicated that it may not remain that way for the next generation of fans without $70 million in repairs.

The cash-strapped state isn't likely to hand over the money, and ASU has shifted its money toward academic needs, said Steve Nielsen, ASU assistant vice president of university real estate. ASU hopes lawmakers will give the university a chance to raise the money.

For the second year in a row, legislators have proposed a law to allow Arizona's three state universities to create special financing districts and charge a fee to developers that build on university property. However, opponents say it's just another tax. The revenue would go toward the construction or renovation of athletic facilities.

"The state of Arizona is broke," bill sponsor Rep. Warde Nichols, R-Gilbert, said. "We're trying to figure out how to continue funding K-12 education, the universities and transportation, let alone anything else. We have to figure out ways to generate money to handle some of the things state government can't fund."

Last year, the bill made it through the House but never got a Senate hearing.

This year, Nichols and Sen. Thayer Verschoor, R-Gilbert, introduced bills in both the House and the Senate. Verschoor said it will be a tough sell again.

"It will be an uphill climb," he said. "We have to get some comfort there for the legislation."

Under current law, commercial developers on university property do not pay property taxes. Nichols said the measure would level the playing field between a new development on university property and one on private property that pays property taxes. The fee would be comparable to what the property taxes would otherwise be, he said.

Nichols said a district's boundaries have to be part of one contiguous area. For example, ASU couldn't include land at ASU Polytechnic in Mesa as part of a stadium district for the Tempe campus. It could include land ASU owns along Tempe Town Lake and near Mill Avenue.

Nichols also said the fee would only apply to future development.

Opponents say the district would create a new taxing mechanism, unfairly impact businesses on university land and take revenue away from core academic needs.

"At a time with the university is reeling from budget cuts, this money could be better spent going into academics and academic buildings and not into a stadium that's used a couple of times a year," said Sen. Ken Cheuvront, D-Phoenix.

Kevin McCarthy, president of the Arizona Tax Research Association, said he is sympathetic to funding needs but argued that this is not the solution.

"If this is approved, cities and counties will want it, too," he said. "You'll be setting a huge precedent."

He said if universities are concerned about leveling the playing field, businesses on university land should pay property taxes "just like everybody else."

Although the legislation would impact Northern Arizona University, the University of Arizona and Arizona State, it is ASU that is really pushing for it.

Sun Devil Stadium, with 50,000 seats, opened in 1958. New decks were built in the 1970s to add room for 20,000 more seats, and a final remodel added press boxes, luxury sky boxes and more seating in 1988.

Each year, the stadium draws more than 350,000 football fans. It also is used for other sporting events and has hosted a pope, a president and musical groups. It was the home of the Fiesta Bowl for 35 years and the Arizona Cardinals for 18, until they wanted a state-of-the-art facility and the University of Phoenix Stadium was built in Glendale.

In 2007, ASU President Michael Crow appointed a committee to study the stadium and develop proposals for upgrading Sun Devil Stadium. Nielsen said the group determined that $70 million is needed for structural repairs that should be done within the next 10 years.

An additional $100 million is needed for improvements such as restroom and concession renovations, improved seats and possibly an escalator to make higher levels more accessible to older fans, he said.

ASU has spent about $10 million since then in repairs, but there's still about 80 percent of the work left to do, Nielsen said.

If the stadium district is approved, Nielsen said revenue could start within five years as new development occurs. Once work is completed on the stadium, he said, the revenue could be used to renovate the basketball arena and other facilities.

"It's a fallacy that a concrete stadium will last forever," said Bruce Jensen, executive director of ASU's capital programs. "The stadium is safe now, but if money isn't spent on this facility, it could become unsafe."

combusean
Feb 19, 2010, 12:49 PM
Did anyone happen to see 1949 E. University fall from the sky recently and land mostly built in Tempe? I swear I remember driving by there recently and not seeing anything and now there's this massive 4 or 5 story complex with retail and whatnot.

TAZ4ate0
Feb 19, 2010, 4:02 PM
Did anyone happen to see 1949 E. University fall from the sky recently and land mostly built in Tempe? I swear I remember driving by there recently and not seeing anything and now there's this massive 4 or 5 story complex with retail and whatnot.

Actually, yes I did. :D

I was going to mention something about it, but then forgot about it because no one else was discussing it. For those who don't know, or haven't seen it, it's being built in a fashion very similar to Campus Suites, and Grigio Metro, which are on Apache Blvd.

hrivas
Feb 19, 2010, 5:58 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/community/tempe/articles/2010/02/18/20100218arizona-first-urban-garden-tempe.html
Arizona's first downtown urban garden debuts in Tempe

The Arizona Republic

The first downtown urban garden in Arizona will debut at 9 a.m. Saturday on what used to be an empty acre in the middle of downtown Tempe.

The Downtown Tempe Urban Garden on Fifth Street east of Mill Avenue is the result of a cooperative effort among restaurateurs, farmers, community members and the city. The project is being spearheaded by the Downtown Tempe Community in partnership with Caffe Boa, GreenZona, Grow Well Arizona and Desert Appeal.

Tempe Mayor Hugh Hallman will address the volunteers and community partners who have donated to the garden. Caffe Boa Chef Payton Curry will be on hand doing demonstrations with products that will grow in the garden. A kids lemonade stand will also be set up to accept donations.

Businesses such as GreenZona and Grow Well have donated soil, seedlings and other resources. Seedlings have been cultivated and the first produce-likely a mix of lettuces, herbs, tomatoes, squash, radishes, and cucumbers, will be ripe for the picking in early April. Fresh produce will be available to chefs and members of the public. Since it's not a traditional community garden where anybody can grow food, access will be limited, with a goal of creating top-quality produce.

Caffe Boa and Curry are hosting a brunch on March 7 to raise money for the community project. His much-lauded culinary career has made him a favorite among Valley foodies, most recently at Scottsdale's Digestif. His liberal use of locally grown and made ingredients is also one of his trademarks.

For information about the urban garden or to volunteer, call Downtown Tempe Community at 480-355-6060 or go to Go to www.tempeurbangarden.com for more information on getting involved.

http://www.tempeurbangarden.com/Urban_Garden/Plan_files/GetAttachment.jpg

glynnjamin
Feb 19, 2010, 7:02 PM
Does this mean the urban garden on 5th St just south of Roosevelt doesnt count as downtown?

nickkoto
Feb 20, 2010, 2:49 AM

I posted something about it last June, when it had a different name than Block 1949, no response:
Is anyone familiar with that Element at ASU development on University, beween McClintock and Price? I figured it would just be another 2 story apartment complex when they first started, but it's definitely taller and apparently it'll be 4 floors with 215 units. This would include 640 bedrooms and over 700 parking spaces (which seems mind-blowing for such a small parcel, presumably they'll have a parking garage).

http://www.tempe.gov/Planning/Agendas/DRC/SupportingDocuments/DRCr_Element@ASUplat_102808.pdf

I can't seem to find any renders.

4 story apartment buildings are a good thing for Tempe development I think (better than more condos which nobody can get a loan for), but the location kind of baffles me. It's not close enough to the light rail, there's no Orbit bus on that segment of University, and it's not within walking distance of anything really.

Leo the Dog
Feb 20, 2010, 12:05 PM
^^^I went to a very small brewery (Sleepy Dog) directly across the street from those new apartments and was amazed at the size and urban feel to them. Reminded me of the developments on Apache.

They had good beers, not much of an atmosphere. They were playing movies, not music in there, so it was kind of quiet, but I imagine once the residents move in, it'll be a great location for people to stumble across university for a beer.

Obadno
Feb 20, 2010, 11:00 PM
I haven't ever really posted on this website before but i have been following it for several years Now.

I am currently an Urban Planning Major at ASU and we are working with the city of Tempe on this project for the semester. If anything interesting happens I'lll be sure to let you guys know.

We are also helping Mesa with redeveloping the Fiesta mall area, it's not related but the city council voted to shrink Southern ave from the hospital past Alma School.

two lanes tree lined wide sidewalks. Because the new zoning codes will be calling for street facing shops and restaurants and a massive increase in density for the whole area.

I thought it was nice to see a city council (mesa of all) that supports these anti-suburbia plans...I think this means hope for the future :notacrook: now as long as our plans survive the upcoming public meetings. Damn seniors!

ciweiss
Feb 21, 2010, 9:37 AM
Welcome aboard Obadno! That is good news. Fiesta mall needs a lot of help. I'm mean really, how many strip malls can you pack in there :shrug:

williard
Mar 11, 2010, 1:24 PM
http://www.abc15.com/content/realestate/story/Tempes-tallest-towers-face-auction-will-they-ever/R6ohpuEtVkCQfSsse4YeiA.cspx (see video, upper right)

TEMPE, AZ - They are the tallest buildings in the East Valley - but they may never be finished.

"All my money is tied up in this, and if that money is lost, I'm going to be really wiped out," said buyer Mike Williard.

He had expected to be calling Tempe Centerpoint Towers - Unit 305 - home by now.

"It's got a beautiful view of Centerpoint Plaza and looking into the trees," he said. "Everything was done in my unit, ready to move in."

After putting down an $81,000 deposit on the condo three years ago, today he's stuck outside the fence.

"I feel like I own a piece of this building," Williard said.

For those buyers that put up deposits, that money may never come back.

"I don't think there's any likelihood that they'll get any of their money back," said Mark Winkelman, CEO of ML Manager LLC, the entity handling the upcoming foreclosure auction of the 375-unit Centerpoint development.

In an exclusive hard hat tour, Winkelman showed ABC15 finished condos on the 17th floor and the unfinished 7,500-square-foot 22nd floor penthouse, complete with a lap pool, hot tub, and views in every direction.

SEE PICTURES FROM THE TOUR IN THE ABOVE PHOTO SLIDESHOW

"One of these days it's going to be an absolutely amazing unit for someone," Winkelman said.

Winkelman said 90 percent of the condos in the shorter 22-story south tower are nearly done, but the 30-story north tower needs a lot more work.

"It's a major project, and it was a major project for the developer. It's still a major project for whoever ends of buying it and taking it on," Winkelman said.

"Something has to be done to this thing," said ASU real estate professor Dr. Jay Butler. "You can't continue to let it simply exist. Do you implode it? Start over again?"

Butler said the high-rise lifesyle is unproven here in the Valley.

"That market probably really never existed in the depth that anybody was hoping for," Butler said.

Centerpoint is not alone.

A glut of available units being built, combined with a down economy and depressed home values, have left a number of condo projects in trouble.

Projects like Summit at Copper Square, 44 Monroe, and Chateaux on Central, among others, have all had financial difficulty.

"If it takes you a lot of time to finish a project, markets turn. They don't last forever, and that's really what happened here," Butler said.

"The losses are massive," Winkelman said.

Construction at Centerpoint came to a halt a year and a half ago.

Developer Tempe Land Co. LLC ran out of money.

The primary lender, Mortgages Ltd., filed for bankruptcy after the suicide of its chairman, Scott Coles.

Now, the project is scheduled to be auctioned off in April.

"I've heard values ranging from zero to 40 or 50 million dollars in its current state," Winkelman said.

When it does finally open, the units might be rented as apartments rather than sold as condos.

Despite all the delays and difficulties, Williard still wants to call Centerpoint home.

"I think it's a beautiful building. It's just a little rough around the edges here," Williard said. "I still am hopeful that I can live here maybe a year from now. And I'm sure that five years in the future this will be a vibrant busy plaza."

Williard and the other 40 early buyers can file with the bankruptcy court to try to get their deposits back, but they're in line behind the project's primary investors and the unpaid contractors.

mwadswor
Mar 11, 2010, 4:13 PM
:previous: What if they still want to live in the building still and don't want their deposits back? Would they have to put down new deposits with the new owner to hold their unit? Or does it all depend on the terms of the bankruptcy?

glynnjamin
Mar 11, 2010, 4:26 PM
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned here or not...but I was in AZ Mills over the weekend and noticed that they have a giant aquarium going in. It is under the Sea Life brand that is owned by the company that owns Legoland and the Sea Life in Carlsbad. Pretty cool stuff. Too bad they put it in a mall and not in downtown Tempe or Phx.

TAZ4ate0
Mar 11, 2010, 4:44 PM
:previous: What if they still want to live in the building still and don't want their deposits back? Would they have to put down new deposits with the new owner to hold their unit? Or does it all depend on the terms of the bankruptcy?

^My guess is that it will depend upon the terms of the bankruptcy.

As far as CenterPoint goes, here are my thoughts as to what should be done with it. I mentioned this sometime ago in another thread:

... it is a disappointing situation that Centerpoint is in right now. I do believe however, that once it comes out of bankruptcy, someone will snatch it up at a bargain basement price and complete it.

I think what they should do is complete one tower as apartments/rentals, and then convert the first few floors of the second tower into a hotel, and then go ahead and finish the top part off as condos. Anyway, that is my two cents for what it is worth.

Of course there should still be the planned ground floor retail to accompany it.

mwadswor
Mar 11, 2010, 5:35 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/community/tempe/articles/2010/03/11/20100311biz-mini0311.html

Tempe lands state's 2nd Mini Cooper dealership

by Max Jarman - Mar. 11, 2010 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

Mini Cooper fans in Arizona soon will have a new place to shop.

The state's second Mini dealership is scheduled to open in Tempe on March 26 and provide some competition for Mini North Scottsdale, which has owned the market since it brought the iconic vehicles to Arizona in 2002.

But the competition will be of a friendly nature. The new Mini of Tempe and Mini North Scottsdale are owned by Penske Automotive Group, the country's second-largest publicly held auto retailer. Penske operates 310 dealerships nationwide, including 24 in Arizona.

The new Mini store at 7855 S. Test Drive in the Tempe Autoplex will employ about 35 people, according to John Wiggins, Penske's area vice president for Arizona.

Penske bought its first Arizona Mini franchise when BMW announced plans to reinvent and reintroduce the diminutive coupes.

"It had a great history, and we knew it would be a great brand," Wiggins said of the initial decision to sell Mini Coopers.

Mini Cooper sales quickly exceeded Penske's initial projections. Wiggins said that when Mini decided to award another dealership for metro Phoenix, Penske jumped at the opportunity.

"We already had a great relationship with Mini and BMW," he said.

The Tempe location was part of an expansion announced by Mini last year that included 17 new dealerships across the United States. The move is expected to boost Mini's retail locations by about 20 percent.

The company has been revving up for a new crossover SUV, called the Countryman, that is due out for the 2011 model year. The Countryman is larger than Mini's Clubman station wagon and comes with optional all-wheel drive.

The 17,000-square-foot Mini of Tempe showroom and service center is on a 3-acre site and will cost about $3 million to build, according to Anthony Pordon, Penske Automotive Group's senior vice president.

Pordon declined to give first-year sales projections for the new dealership.

BMW reported it sold 2,871 Mini Coopers in the U.S. during February, up 1.6 percent from the 2,826 cars sold in February 2009.

The Mini Cooper is a reincarnation of the classic Mini produced by British Motor Corp. and its successors from 1959 to 2000.

The Mini has been called the British equivalent to the German Volkswagen and, in 1999, was named by a panel of auto writers as the second-most-influential car of the 20th century, behind Ford's Model T.

BMW acquired the Mini brand in 1994, when it took over the Rover Group, a successor to British Motor. BMW sold off most of financially troubled Rover, including Land Rover, to Ford in 2000.

BMW kept Mini Cooper and proceeded with plans to introduce new models of the fabled vehicles that had been developed by Rover.

ciweiss
Mar 11, 2010, 10:18 PM
Seems they should have a mini Mini showroom right on Mill. They could probably stick 2 or 3 cars into one of the empty stores. Then if someone wants to buy/drive one they could drive them over to the real dealership. Bottom line is with Toyota hurting some of these other companies could sweep in and take their market share if they plan right. - not that I would want Mill to turn into showroom row but 1 or 2 could be interesting to fill the vancancy. I wonder how the scooter store is doing down there?

williard
Mar 13, 2010, 8:31 AM
Hi, I'm the buyer quoted in the Centerpoint article and ABC 15 news story. Unlike the contractors and Mortgages Ltd. investors, the Centerpoint buyers were considered unsecured creditors. So, obviously, we will be getting nothing from the Ch. 7 bankruptcy process. Only 41 buyers signed sales contracts and made deposits (three of those to the developers). I have spoken to a number of them, and maybe 25 or so are still willing and able to buy if they offer us a reasonable deal. Our deposits were not kept in escrow, but released to the developer. My $81,000 deposit and all of the others totaled about $2 million. In total, $180 million has been spent so far, and $45 million is needed to complete building one.

Our only hope now is that the new owners will choose to keep the few existing committed buyers on board, considering they have 375 units to sell in both towers. I imagine a new buyer will be able to buy the project for perhaps $25 to $40 million. You would think they could come up with $1 million or so to cover the existing buyers deposits. Of course, the pricing will have to be cut in half, at least, or no one will buy anything.

I don't know how they are going to get financing for the individual buyers. The developer will probably have to make special arraignments with a lender to provide the mortgages, because they are unlikely to qualify for FHA backed loans.

"My" condo was complete 18 months ago. I had picked out the cabinets, the tile, the granite, and paid up front to upgrade the appliances, plumbing fixtures, and a storage locker in the parking garage. Here are photos of how it looked then.

I would be interested in talking to any other Centerpoint buyers.

Mike Williard

williard@cox.net
602-550-0235

http://www.abc15.com/content/realestate/story/Tempes-tallest-towers-face-auction-will-they-ever/R6ohpuEtVkCQfSsse4YeiA.cspx

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad318/mwilliard/cp1.jpg

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad318/mwilliard/cp01.jpg

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad318/mwilliard/cp02.jpg

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad318/mwilliard/cp05.jpg

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad318/mwilliard/cp04.jpg

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad318/mwilliard/cp06.jpg

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad318/mwilliard/cp07.jpg

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad318/mwilliard/cp08.jpg

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad318/mwilliard/cp09.jpg

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad318/mwilliard/cp10.jpg

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad318/mwilliard/cp3.jpg

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad318/mwilliard/cp03.jpg

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad318/mwilliard/cp2.jpg

Canon EOS 40D
Copyright Mike Williard

combusean
Mar 14, 2010, 5:49 AM
How did they find you?

I thought Tower 1 was 90% completed? Are you sure about that $45 million figure?

I also have a really hard time believing the current worth of the site has a low end of 0 from the above article, which more or less assumes there's a demolition liability.

williard
Mar 14, 2010, 7:49 AM
They found my name because I had been interviewed last year in an Arizona Republic article. I also provided information for the New Times story, but refused to let them use my name.

Tower 1 is 90% complete, tower 2 is said to be 50% complete. I heard the $45 million figure at some of the many bankruptcy hearings I attended. $180 + 45 = $225 million, so $45 million would be 20% of the total. I think it's higher than you would expect because of the need to finish the 7th floor common area with the pool, spa, fitness center, kitchen, theaters, and the restaurants on the ground floor. The New Times article claims the developer estimates $45 million to complete tower 1 and $75 million to complete both (doesn't quite make sense).

Here are the New Times articles:

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2009-10-15/news/concrete-bungle-tempe-s-twin-towers-condo-project-collapses-financially-leaving-investors-in-the-rubble/1

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2009/10/foreclosure_is_next_step_for_c.php

There is no way they will demolish the buildings, because they are so far along, and it would be very costly to do so. Implosion is not feasible for this kind of structure or location.

I have recently heard from an ex-Centerpoint employee that there are a number of potential bidders. I believe it will sell for $25 to $40 million.

combusean
Mar 14, 2010, 8:19 AM
It seems they'd be able to get it habitable long before things like the amenities are completed. A kitchen would have made sense for four towers of luxury residents but is overkill for whatever will become of it in its current phase even if completed. What kind of concessions would you be willing to take? If you got to own your unit along with the other depositors in a midmarket mostly rental tower at a discount would you take it?

williard
Mar 14, 2010, 3:38 PM
All the amenities were never terribly important to me. I was more interested in the excellent location, the idea of being able to walk to the many restaurants, post office, bank, CVS, town lake, and light rail. Of course, I was disappointed when Harkins theaters, Borders, and many restaurants closed in the meantime. I am a big fan of modern architecture and furniture, so this would be ideal for me. I sold my house in boring suburbia (Desert Ridge area) two years ago.

I wouldn't mind rentals in the building. In fact, if I could just get my money back, I would rather rent. But that is not possible. This is a wonderful time to be a renter. My landlord is losing over $500 per month.

Check out this interactive rent vs. own calculator:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/business/buy-rent-calculator.html?_r=1

PHX31
Mar 14, 2010, 8:18 PM
That's too bad that this has happened. Great pics and views... you have a bird's eye view of the rabbit fountain. That would be awesome. I hope it all turns out.

Jsmscaleros
Mar 16, 2010, 1:12 AM
Thank you for sharing all the great photos and details of the towers!

I would be happy to see the towers turn into rentals, although doing so might turn Centerpoint into the second incarnation of the Vue on Rural/Apache. Not necessarily a bad thing - I suppose posh towers filled with rich college freshman is the lesser of two evil scenarios here.

ciweiss
Mar 16, 2010, 2:56 AM
http://southwest.construction.com/southwest_contractor_news/2010/0301_FlexPark.asp

Clarius Partners LLC, with capital partner Walton Street Capital, is developing SkyWay 202 Professional Park, a 60-acre fl ex-use professional park located at 40th Street and Loop 202 Red Mountain Freeway in Phoenix.

Southwest Orthopedic and Spine Hospital, an inpatient surgical hospital, will be Sky-Way 202’s first structure. The 94,000-sq-ft facility will feature an on-site intensive care unit, eight operating rooms, two preparatory rooms, and approximately 60 patient recovery rooms. Construction commenced during the first quarter with completion scheduled for Spring 2011.

Construction of the park’s primary infrastructure, roadway, 2-acre retention basin and utility backbones that will serve the hospital as well as future developments is now underway.

Because of the economy, the developers elected to reposition SkyWay 202 to focus on market segments that were less susceptible to the market downturn.

JE Dunn will act as general contractor on both the SOSH facility and the infrastructure improvements. The architectural firm of Ascension Group designed the SOSH facility while Kimley-Horn provided civil engineering services. Butler Design Group performed site planning.

Anybody know if this will be on the north or south side of the freeway??

TAZ4ate0
Mar 16, 2010, 9:18 PM
^It's on the south side of the freeway. Would it be too nit-picky of me to mention that I think the article should have been posted in the Phoenix development thread? I mean, the location is in Phoenix, not Tempe, after all.

mwadswor
Mar 16, 2010, 10:40 PM
Speaking of big developments south of the 202. Does anyone know if anything is going on with the pier 202 (or whatever the final name was) project along Rio Salado between Rural and McClintock? I rode my bike by it over the weekend and it looks pretty much dead, no activity, no equipment, no nothing. Just a couple of fenced off, enormous pits. Are there still plans for further development, or is the whole thing just stalled indefinitely?

Don B.
Mar 16, 2010, 11:17 PM
^ My guess is stalled for now.

--don

mwadswor
Mar 16, 2010, 11:34 PM
http://asunews.asu.edu/20100315_March_Madness

March Madness comes to Tempe

March Madness comes to Tempe this week as Arizona State University hosts the first and second rounds of the 2010 NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament at Wells Fargo Arena.

Making their way to the Valley of the Sun this week will be Oklahoma State (Big 12 Conference), Chattanooga (Southern Conference), Georgia (Southeastern Conference) and Tulane (Conference USA).

The action kicks off on Saturday at 5 p.m. PT when fourth-seeded Oklahoma State takes on 13th-seeded Chattanooga. Then in the nightcap (approx. 7:30 p.m.), fifth-seeded Georgia faces 12th-seeded Tulane.

On Monday at 6:30 p.m. PT the winners of Saturday's games will square for the right to advance to Sacramento and a berth in the Sweet 16.

Too bad ASU won't be there, but still good to see ASU hosting this event. I don't think the new bed tax has taken effect yet unfortunately, but still a nice little tourism bump I'm sure.

glynnjamin
Mar 24, 2010, 2:16 PM
I swear I heard the radio talking about an auction of Centerpoint condos coming up some time soon starting at $85k. Does anyone have anything that confirms or changes this?

Urban Rising
Mar 24, 2010, 2:49 PM
The auction is at Northshore Condos @ Rural & 202

glynnjamin
Mar 24, 2010, 4:53 PM
^Ahhh, thank you! I was confused when I heard it but there is no DVR for the radio playing in a waiting room.

AJphx
Mar 24, 2010, 8:02 PM
http://asunews.asu.edu/20100308_construction

Tempe campus road restrictions to begin for construction project
With the upcoming construction of a new research building on the southeast corner of McAllister Avenue and Terrace Road, road restrictions will be put into place in late March or early April, on the ASU Tempe campus.

The impacted areas will be the narrowing of McAllister between Lemon Street and Terrace, and the closure of Terrace from McAllister east to the visitor gate for the Rural Road parking structure. The sidewalk on the east side of McAllister between Lemon and Terrace will be closed. These restrictions are expected to last about two years.

Both lanes of McAllister will be restriped to accommodate north and south bound traffic. The impacted areas will be fenced off by the general contractor. Faculty and staff will continue to have access to the Rural Road parking structure from Rural and Lemon.

Interdisciplinary Science and Technology Building 4 (ISTB 4) will contain approximately 300,000 sq. ft. of high technology research laboratory and office space. It will house researchers, faculty and staff for the School of Earth and Space Exploration, Synthetic Chemistry, Environmental Engineering, Energy Research initiatives and Public Outreach.

The project budget is $160 million, with the construction completion scheduled for Spring 2012. The contractor is Sundt Construction.

ciweiss
Mar 28, 2010, 8:12 PM
I just rode my bike towards the South Bank project and noticed they extended the bike paths further towards Tempe Marketplace. They planted a bunch of wild flowers and it looks incredible. For any photographers I would check it out for sure. Those flowers won't stay in bloom long once it warms up. It is quite a view.

combusean
Apr 2, 2010, 3:43 AM
Does anyone know what's up with the two gynormous tower cranes going up in Tempe near Broadway and I-10?

Tempe_Duck
Apr 2, 2010, 4:44 AM
Does anyone know what's up with the two gynormous tower cranes going up in Tempe near Broadway and I-10?

They are located in the office park with the pie shaped building, (with a piece taken out). I assume they are for more office buildings. They just added a parking garage to the location a couple years ago and the top floor seems empty at least from the freeway.

I'll try and drive by in a day or so and see what else I can find out.

TAZ4ate0
Apr 2, 2010, 2:09 PM

They are going to be used for the construction of my new home. :yes:

..........ok, ok just kidding.

Yeah, don't know what they are for. I have a free day today, and I'm planning on going for a long bike ride. I may do what Duck said he was going to do, by heading over that direction on my ride, and try to see if I can find out what's going on. Hopefully, one of us will get the scoop.

edit: Oh yeah, there was something else I saw, or heard, a few days ago, something up and coming for Tempe that is really cool, is related to development, and was going to mention here. But, for the life of me, I can't remember what it was now. :rolleyes:

Oh well, it's still early, and I haven't had my coffee yet. I'll probably think of it later.

TAZ4ate0
Apr 3, 2010, 5:49 AM
Someone said 'tower cranes', so I got all white and nerdy, and was like; "oh, oh where? Let me see!, Let me see!" :D

So yeah, I checked out where the cranes are today. From what I could tell, it looks like an office building, and maybe a second one, is going up. Looks like it will be a low to mid-rise building(s), in the 4-7 story range. It's going blend in with all the other offices in the area. Pretty nondescript.

Cardsfan
Apr 3, 2010, 9:14 PM
First time poster but long time follower so I hope this works right.

The tower cranes are building two towers for Apollo Group. I believe one will be 10 stories and one 6 stories (similar to the 32nd St site). I work for Apollo and they just made an announcement of the ground breaking for our Fountainhead Campus. They used to have a rendering on a Phoenix Business Journal article but this is all I could find...

http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoenix/stories/2009/09/07/daily20.html

Vicelord John
Apr 3, 2010, 10:33 PM
That corridor along I-10 is becoming like south Denver along the 25.

Urban Rising
Apr 5, 2010, 3:59 PM
The new buildings going up will be a ten story and a six story. They are also building a new parking garage. The buildings will look fairly similar to those at Hayden Ferry Lakeside. Davis is the architect and Sundt is the GC. Apollo is going to be the tenant.

TAZ4ate0
Apr 6, 2010, 8:51 PM
Link (http://www.azcentral.com/community/tempe/articles/2010/04/06/20100406downtown-tempe-06.html)

Downtown Tempe's southern end in limbo as economy stalls
by Georgann Yara - Apr. 6, 2010 11:34 AM
Special for The Republic

What was once a hot corner at downtown Tempe's southern end now serves as a reminder of the lagging economy.

Just north of University Drive on Mill Avenue, the intersection that was once a destination point is now quiet on most nights, with the exception of pedestrians walking to other destinations.

Two restaurants, a fast-food place and two mobile-communication shops greet visitors at University, but vacant storefronts and a vacant dirt lot make the half-block walk north to the next eateries seem longer. The MADCAP Theatre and weekly public market are draws, but a consistent pedestrian presence on Mill remains lacking.

Large windows reveal bare showrooms and display shelves where a two-story bookstore and trendy retail shops used to be. A vacant lot is all that is left of the spot where the iconic bar Long Wong's used to stand on the southeastern corner of Mill and Seventh Street.

"It's kind of sad," said Tim Henderson, a Scottsdale resident who called Mill Avenue one of his old stomping grounds. "I hope they can get some businesses in here to bring it back to the Mill I remember."

Tempe resident Tara Wong was disappointed when she noticed shops closing, with nothing replacing them.

"It's the economy, but you'd think these would be easy to fill. There used to be a lot more here," she said.

A few years ago, a lot of tenants' leases in that area were terminated to make way for new developments. When the economy tanked, Scottsdale-based DMB Development opted to keep the space and attempted to find new uses and tenants, said Jimmy Cerracchio, director of business development for Downtown Tempe Community, which assists with that task.

A deal that would bring wine and sushi bar Seasoned Cork to the space formerly occupied by Pizzeria Uno was already struck before the longtime pizza joint closed last year, Cerracchio said. Seasoned Cork is slated to open by late summer or early fall.

A hotel was supposed to go in the Long Wong's space, but the economy has delayed plans for a few years. In the meantime, Cerracchio said, the challenge is finding a tenant willing to make a temporary move to that area.

Location also is a factor. Most of the retail and restaurant space north of Seventh is full, so that makes the rent on these vacant properties higher, although prices have been "more affordable lately," Cerracchio said. Restaurants have expressed interest, but many of the spots they want are zoned for retail.

"Rent is higher because of the desirability to be on Mill. The economy has affected us but not as much as the rest of the Valley," Cerracchio said.

The vacancies have moved crowds toward the northern end of the district, said Eddie Goitia, managing partner at Monti's La Casa Vieja, which stands on the northern edge of Mill at Rio Salado Parkway. He said light rail and new buildings on the lake have brought more attention to the area.

"Oddly enough, it's pushed more people to come and enjoy the park. They used to think Mill ended at Third Street. Well, not anymore," Goitia said.

Goitia said he expects more businesses to open at the southern end of Mill, restoring the active buzz of years past.

"Eventually, the market rates are going to change. It's still an attractive area," he said.

Cerracchio is optimistic that spaces will be occupied this year. Unique restaurants and shops are desired over mainstream chains that do not fit the identity of downtown.

"We want cool, funky boutiques that will run on their own and create a destination where people want to go check it out," he said. "We want to give everyone a one-of-a-kind experience when they come here."

It's true that the economy has hurt Mill Ave. to a degree. However, I feel that it is the Tempe Marketplace that has been the real culprit in hurting retail occupancy along Mill. Marketplace is now drawing most of the college and hipster crowds.

Despite what they say about the economy, I'm sure that most all of the storefronts, even the new ones, along Mill would be leased today if the Marketplace didn't exist.

mwadswor
Apr 6, 2010, 9:29 PM
It is true that the economy has hurt Mill Ave. to a degree. However, I feel that it is the Tempe Marketplace that has been the real culprit in hurting retail occupancy along Mill. Marketplace is now drawing most of the college and hipster crowds.

Despite what they say about the economy, I'm sure that most all of the storefronts, even the new ones, along Mill would be leased today, if the Marketplace didn't exist.

At the southern end of Mill, the real killer has been centerpoint and other planned developments, IMO. It's convenient to blame Tempe Marketplace, but there are probably more than 10,000 people (including all the residents at ASU) in walking distance of Mill, there are almost none in walking distance of Tempe marketplace (the lake + 202 on the north side, the power plant on the west side, the 101 on the east side... the only people really in walking distance are the houses directly to the south). Combine that with the light rail and most of the orbit routes congerving on Mill and many bus routes converging on College, and that's plenty of advantage to Mill over Tempe Marketplace. The problem is that the whole south end was shut down and razed in preparation for planned developments that just never happened. The street life is less than it used to be, but still decent as you walk south from the lake until you get to where Unos and Borders used to be, then it's just completely dead the rest of the way to University. Centerpoint owns a lot of vacant shops along the southwest side of Mill, and I suspect the fact that they're bankrupt makes signing new leases for those shops difficult if not impossible. Combine that with the planned hotel/vacant lot and the suburban style Jack in the box that's always been a dead zone on the other side of Mill, and that area is just dead.

The good news is, if Cerracchio is right and the hotel is still planned, just in a holding pattern, and the Centerpoint property will emerge from bankruptcy at some point. That end of Mill will come back, it's just in a holding pattern right now. The north end of Mill is still pretty lively, it just seems very disconnected from ASU for right now.

Don B.
Apr 6, 2010, 11:30 PM
Regards the vacant Long Wong's lot, why doesn't the city waive permitting fees and permit a temporary structure there for some type of place, such as a small grocery, an artist's collective, etc?

--don

SethAZ
Apr 7, 2010, 3:26 AM
The south end of Mill isn't quite as dead as it's been made to sound. Centerpoint did screw things up, but we got MADCAP (which I love), there is a Jimmy John's, 5 Guys Burgers, Robbie Fox's on 6th, Sucker Punch Sally's on Mill and University which serves breakfast on Mill 24/7, and I was talking to some construction guys working in the old Unos who said it was going to be a sushi place. (The article says otherwise and I'm going to trust that.)
True that across the street is a big empty building where Borders used to be and a sad looking dirt lot where Long Wong's was. But I think all things considered, there is a lot going at the south end of Mill.

Jsmscaleros
Apr 7, 2010, 3:34 AM
I'm pretty sure they are referring to the block just north of University, where Z Gallery, Abercrombie, Borders, Long Wong's, and the old Cafe Boa still have not been replaced (I know I'm missing a few, as well). That's a lot of holes still left unfilled. But I agree with you; Suckerpunch Sally's (awesome for late late night Navajo Tacos), Robbie Fox's (much better Whiskey selection and a little more breathing room on the weekend than Rula Bula), JJ's (you get your sandwich before you get your receipt), and Five Guys (cheapest veggie sandwich in town @ 2 bucks and change) are all quality places I've paid several visits to already.

ciweiss
Apr 7, 2010, 3:54 AM
As I travel down Mill it is starting to look dead to the south. Eg. Borders/Centerpoint complex etc. I think the economy plus Tempe Marketplace - as said before were the nails in the coffin. I think now would be the time to do better planning. Why hasn't a used book store or public library moved into the borders spot. Heck - Even CVS could have moved in there although I'm sure they wanted the corner lot for visability and parking. They have a new bank being built next to CVS. Once again leaving more buildings on Mill empty. All the new buildings eg Gateway and parking garage next to the transit center - empty. DT Tempe needs more residents to sustain these places for sure. Cheaper places to live. I think a couple new hotels would bring more people to the area and I'm sure we will see them being built once the economy gets better. Could a Trader Joes fit into that new parking garage/retail (next to transit center). That would be sweet. The centerpoint shops have been empty for a long time. Time to lower rent owners. The Scottsdale rent rates dream is now gone and you really need to wake up before people don't walk that extra block because they don't think anything is down there because of all the empty storefronts.

Vicelord John
Apr 7, 2010, 5:30 AM
Note to self, never take restaurant advice from jsmscarlos

nickkoto
Apr 7, 2010, 8:23 AM
Aside from maybe the theater, I don't think Tempe Marketplace is taking much away from Mill, not as it's sometimes made out to be. More likely, it cannibalized business from Scottsdale Pavilions, Chandler Fashion Square, and any number of other freeway shopping centers within 10 miles. It's not like the old crowd that went to Those Were the Days or Z Gallerie suddenly started going to the Target instead because there's more parking. And Borders was doomed anyway, as are most brick & mortar bookstores.

More likely, the problem is landlords like in the above article who say things like "Rent is higher because of the desirability to be on Mill. The economy has affected us but not as much as the rest of the Valley" while some units are going 3-4 years unoccupied. For whatever reason, they're still content to collect nothing rather than lowering rents enough to attract tenants.

nickkoto
Apr 8, 2010, 7:34 AM
Centerpoint auction is today. Hopefully things will move forward and someone will figure out a way to complete it soon.

http://www.abc15.com/content/news/southeastvalley/tempe/story/Tempe-s-tall-towers-hitting-auction-block-with-8M/_i4IwWPZQE2qznoO-zyPxA.cspx

TEMPE, AZ -- For the first time in nearly two years, the Centerpoint Towers in Tempe will see some progress.

The high-rise buildings will be auctioned off to the highest bidder at 10 a.m. Thursday morning.

"It's to nobody's benefit in the condition they are now," said Dominic Jones, who owns Robbie Fox's Public House directly next to Centerpoint.

nickkoto
Apr 9, 2010, 2:59 AM
Centerpoint's auction yields no bids; lender forced to take over project

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/business/articles/2010/04/09/20100409tempe-condo-centerpoint-auction.html

The Centerpoint condominium towers in downtown Tempe failed to sell at a foreclosure auction Tuesday, forcing the lender, ML Manager LLC, to take over the property.

Peoria-based ML Manager, the successor to real-estate lender Mortgages Ltd., asked a minimum bid of $8 million to sell the property at the foreclosure auction. Because there were no bidders, ML Manager now owns the property.

Awww bummer... I guess it'll sit untouched for a couple more years.

SimPhoenix
Apr 9, 2010, 3:02 AM
no takers

http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles/2010/04/09/20100409tempe-condo-centerpoint-auction.html

Don B.
Apr 9, 2010, 3:36 AM
There are single family homes in Paradise Valley that sell for more than $8 million. This is just absurd.

--don

Vicelord John
Apr 9, 2010, 4:51 AM
Yeah. Im in those homes every day. In no way would anything in tempe compare.

TAZ4ate0
Apr 9, 2010, 6:01 AM
Only 8 million bucks, minimum, for the whole Centerpoint project, and still no takers?

Holy crap...this thing is doomed, unless someone comes forward fast. I had at first laughed at the possibility of it being imploded, but not so much anymore.

nickkoto
Apr 9, 2010, 7:40 AM
I was thinking that it would be nice if ASU could divert a few percent from their new construction projects to buy Centerpoint, finish cladding it, and then let the engineering and design schools go hog-wild with various class projects to make it somewhat more complete. How cool would that be for the Construction Management majors to have some of their classes in a half-finished condo tower, where they can apply some of what they're learning?

ciweiss
Apr 9, 2010, 10:34 AM
I was thinking that it would be nice if ASU could divert a few percent from their new construction projects to buy Centerpoint, finish cladding it, and then let the engineering and design schools go hog-wild with various class projects to make it somewhat more complete. How cool would that be for the Construction Management majors to have some of their classes in a half-finished condo tower, where they can apply some of what they're learning?

I like that idea. They could even finish the first condo tower for condos. Make the 2nd tower into a hotel or apartments and the bottom floors for classrooms etc. I am shocked noone would even make an attempt. What about all those investers they were talking about in their last article?

PHXguyinOKC
Apr 9, 2010, 10:39 AM
What about all those investers they were talking about in their last article?

they said the same thing about Elevation Chandler

KEVINphx
Apr 9, 2010, 2:47 PM
$8,000,000 minimum bid and can't sell that thing?!?! there has to be over 8,000,000 in glass alone on the building! (really I have no idea, I've never seen a quote for glass on projects like this) but seriously? ? ?

PHX31
Apr 9, 2010, 4:23 PM
It's probably the fact that if you buy it for $8,000,000 you still have to finish it for who knows how many more millions. $8mil for something that is useless right now isn't that great of a deal.

ciweiss
Apr 9, 2010, 9:06 PM
More on the bike path next to South Bank

http://www.tempe.gov/comdev/WeeklyUpdate/09APR10.pdf

Arizonans drive for miles to see the beautiful wildflowers in places like Superior
or Picacho Peak. This year, Tempe has a display much closer to home. Tempe
is displaying a rainbow of wildflowers in the new park along the south bank of
Town Lake east of Rural Road. About 3 acres are blooming with California
Poppies, Larkspur and Blue Lupine. The wildlflowers aren't just pretty - they
protect the sloped land from erosion. They're also part of a project that will link
Mill Avenue to Tempe Marketplace with paved sidewalks and park space. The
completed pathway should be open this June.

SethAZ
Apr 14, 2010, 12:36 AM
I was walking by the old Uno's on Mill and saw the plans in the window. It's going to be a Kampai Japanese Restaurant not a Seasoned Cork as that other article said.

I found this article http://fwix.com/phoenix/share/bd34f9f3df/kampai_sushi_bar_begins_construction

I'm not a sushi fan but I'd rather something fill this spot than sit empty for years.

Leo the Dog
Apr 14, 2010, 2:53 AM
More sushi on Mill? Geez.

TAZ4ate0
Apr 14, 2010, 3:28 AM
More sushi on Mill? Geez.

No. It is more like, 'more restaurants on Mill?' Fuck. Lets bring back the some of the unique shops, clubs, and nightlife. Having a whole street full of "eat and drink" your face off, bars and restaurants, does not contribute to a true urban vibrancy.

nickkoto
Apr 14, 2010, 7:12 AM
Is that affiliated with the Kampai restaurant on Bell Rd and 35th(-ish) street? I'd take that.

I can only think of one sushi joint on Mill and it's not a very good one.