PDA

View Full Version : Tempe Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117

nickw252
May 8, 2013, 12:51 PM
The tech company GoDaddy unveiled plans to build a 150,000 square-foot building in Tempe on Tuesday. The new building will come with 300 new jobs over the next three years.

Governor Jan Brewer and GoDaddy CEO Blake Irving make footprints on a clay slab that will hang in the new building. (Photo by Christopher Connelly - KJZZ)
GoDaddy’s new Global Technology Center will house more than 1,300 engineers, developers and customer service people. It’ll replace a smaller Tempe building the Scottsdale-based Web domain provider uses now.

CEO Blake Irving said many of his company’s 11 million customers are small businesses.

“We’re the guys who are helping little tiny businesses take their idea from a spark to a real honest to goodness business,” Irving said.

Irving said he was ‘stoked’ to be breaking ground in Arizona State University’s Research Park where GoDaddy can tap into local talent from the university.

The company employs about 2,600 people in the Phoenix area.

GoDaddy will get $1.5 million in incentives from the state if it creates the 300 jobs and makes $27 million of capital investment in the project over a three-year period. They're also eligible for up to $9,000 of job training incentives for each job.

Governor Jan Brewer said the announcement shows Arizona’s lower taxes, lean regulations and strong univesities make it a good place to do business.

“Obviously, a world-class company like GoDaddy could choose to expand anywhere. They chose Arizona,” Brewer said. “They’re building here in part because Arizona is committed to the common-sense policies that help them and other businesses find success.”

It was the governor’s fifth jobs announcement this year.

http://kjzz.org/content/1305/godaddy-build-tech-center-add-jobs-tempe

Arquitect
May 8, 2013, 3:46 PM
http://kjzz.org/content/1305/godaddy-build-tech-center-add-jobs-tempe

Not thrilled that their proposal is only 2 stories tall, but it is great to see more jobs coming into Tempe. We really need a broader job-base beyond ASU in order to increase our density with projects other than student housing.

phxSUNSfan
May 8, 2013, 5:13 PM
Not thrilled that their proposal is only 2 stories tall, but it is great to see more jobs coming into Tempe. We really need a broader job-base beyond ASU in order to increase our density with projects other than student housing.

ASU Research Park is down on Warner Rd. They don't typically build too much taller in that area of Tempe. I like the idea of this project going to Tempe rather than Scottsdale or Gilbert.

RichTempe
May 8, 2013, 6:35 PM

I didn't see in the article where they mentioned the project was only going to be 2 stories tall. I saw the 150,000 SF figure, but nothing else. Did I just completely miss it or are you getting that from another source?

phxSUNSfan
May 8, 2013, 6:47 PM
I didn't see in the article where they mentioned the project was only going to be 2 stories tall. I saw the 150,000 SF figure, but nothing else. Did I just completely miss it or are you getting that from another source?

It wasn't in the story linked here, but it was mentioned in the Republic's more in-depth article.

Construction on the two-story, 150,000-square-foot technology center is expected to begin later this month and be completed by mid-2014. The $27 million facility is designed to house engineers, developers and customer-care staffers.
http://www.azcentral.com/business/news/articles/20130507scottsdalebased-godaddy-to-build-new-tempe-facility.html

MegaBass
May 9, 2013, 1:04 AM
I'm curious as to what's going on just north of Manzanita where the fraternity houses used to be. It seems like they're moving dirt around every few days... there's nothing posted outside of the fencing indicating their future plans.

Walked by yesterday morning noticed it's for archeological dig that's all the commotion.

ciweiss
May 9, 2013, 3:15 AM
It wasn't in the story linked here, but it was mentioned in the Republic's more in-depth article.

http://www.azcentral.com/business/news/articles/20130507scottsdalebased-godaddy-to-build-new-tempe-facility.html

This site confirms the 2 story as well as has a picture.

http://azremagazine.com/economic-development/godaddy-global-technology-center-breaks-ground-tempe

alexico
May 10, 2013, 4:56 AM
I live at W6 and on Wed I guess tower I was evacuated? water issues?

TempeSilverFox
May 10, 2013, 12:46 PM
I live at W6 and on Wed I guess tower I was evacuated? water issues?

Yes- check out this link from ABC. Apparently there is rather extensive damage.

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_southeast_valley/tempe/tempe-apartment-building-closed-after-water-pipe-bursts

alexico
May 11, 2013, 1:10 AM
Yes- check out this link from ABC. Apparently there is rather extensive damage.

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_southeast_valley/tempe/tempe-apartment-building-closed-after-water-pipe-bursts

long term mold problems will occur I bet. these places are looking dumpy by the month! I like living here for now.... :cheers:

Spitfiredude
May 11, 2013, 2:48 AM
long term mold problems will occur I bet. these places are looking dumpy by the month! I like living here for now.... :cheers:

They're trying to prevent all the mold problems from occurring. I live in tower 2 and I'm glad it didn't happen here. City of Tempe building codes and fire codes are the reason tower 1 residents are not allowed back in. I think W6 is a fine place to live. I've never had problems. They just underwent an exchange in management in March. T2 window cleaners start Monday. Cool thing to watch, if I'm not at work, I'll snap some pics.

ASUSunDevil
May 13, 2013, 10:00 PM
Drove by Argo today, the fencing and signage has been taken down. I'm assuming it is stalled or scrapped, pretty unfortunate. I'm surprised development around the lake hasn't taken off yet with the lack of inventory in the PHX Metropolitan area. Developers must be waiting for the market to come back so that they can charge enormous rent - anything market rate that is cool will get snatched up immediately IMO. Interested to see how the Oliver McMillan project plays out.

Arquitect
May 13, 2013, 10:08 PM
Drove by Argo today, the fencing and signage has been taken down. I'm assuming it is stalled or scrapped, pretty unfortunate. I'm surprised development around the lake hasn't taken off yet with the lack of inventory in the PHX Metropolitan area. Developers must be waiting for the market to come back so that they can charge enormous rent - anything market rate that is cool will get snatched up immediately IMO. Interested to see how the Oliver McMillan project plays out.

Yeah, from my personal experience, there are very few people really willing to do market rate rentals. That is why most of the developments we are seeing are student rentals where the rents are extremely inflated. But I also believe that any market-rate projects would be extremely successful, and would definitely end up benefiting the developer (even if it takes a couple extra years to make the profits of these higher end projects).

nickw252
May 14, 2013, 3:46 AM
http://azremagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/rsz_hub-2.jpg
With just 3 months until the delivery date in August, the construction schedule for Hub on Campus in Tempe has moved to the finishing stages of the interior build out of the 19-story, upscale apartment building.

The project, built by Beal| Derkenne Construction, which house more than 600 residents on 17 residential floors. In addition the building features two floors with 25,000 SF of retail space and an added 6,550 SF of restaurants, close to the ASU campus.

The project has reached the point where scaffolding is removed and reveals a sleek modern high rise in the shadow of “A Mountain.”

With interior work — including cabinets for kitchen and bath, counters, carpet and paint, moving along swiftly — the project is now in the final phases.

BDC started construction work 16 months ago. With more than 450 trade workers employed, Hub on Campus is one of the larger current construction projects in Arizona, and a major employer in Metro Phoenix.

With plans calling for LEED accreditation, major focus is placed on environmentally conscious systems and finishes.

“The project is coming along in an amazing way,” said Ryan Cooney, project manager for BDC. “Not only is Hub on Campus an outstanding project for BDC and our client, but will have a positive economic impact for the city of Tempe in the long and short term.”

AZRE (http://azremagazine.com/economic-development/construction-work-hub-campus-moves-interior-build)

Spitfiredude
May 14, 2013, 4:23 AM
It will also be the ugliest mid-high rise in Tempe...

MegaBass
May 14, 2013, 4:32 AM
Few things I noticed on campus

Noticed construction crews begin clearing out some of Orange Mall by Wilson Hall. Campus mall enhancement or solar pavilion for Farmers Market?

West Hall exterior is getting a touch up.

Noticed a few changes in the interiors of Farmer Building and Payne Hall. Mostly for re-configuring office space.

Renovations for Hayden Library appears to be in full gear.

Sun Devil Fitness Complex (formerly SRC) closed till 27 as they connect the Addition.

Jjs5056
May 14, 2013, 6:28 AM
AZRE (http://azremagazine.com/economic-development/construction-work-hub-campus-moves-interior-build)

Yikes, that thing is awful. Hopefully, some other mid/hi rise projects actually take shape sometime this decade to help it somehow blend in. The Mariott and its 50 shades of brown doesn't help the skyline, either, directly in The Hub's foreground. :shrug: Of all the cool looking proposals we've been teased with, why was it these two duds that made the cut?

Shame about Argo, but unsurprising. One less market rate, very urban complex and one more dirt lot in a prime location; just what Tempe, and the TCA area needs...

combusean
May 14, 2013, 5:13 PM
I've never used the term "eyesore" to describe a building before, having always reserved that term for NIMBYs, suburbanists, and other sorts of busybody antis... but this one takes the cake. Yecch.

Sepstein
May 14, 2013, 8:09 PM
I think its great looking! Just wish we could 10 of those downtown but 3 times the height! The random balconys hanging out is alittle odd but other than that its Sweet special that Pool Area sick!

ASUSunDevil
May 14, 2013, 10:22 PM
I've never used the term "eyesore" to describe a building before, having always reserved that term for NIMBYs, suburbanists, and other sorts of busybody antis... but this one takes the cake. Yecch.

I'm patiently waiting for them to end the joke and remove the stucco only to reveal a beautiful all glass building!

It actually looks great when the sun is setting and the glass is reflective. The stucco still completely boggles my mind. :koko:

At least the ground floor retail is all glass.

Leo the Dog
May 15, 2013, 4:09 AM
I think its great looking! Just wish we could 10 of those downtown but 3 times the height! The random balconys hanging out is alittle odd but other than that its Sweet special that Pool Area sick!

I strangely like this building too for some reason.

phxSUNSfan
May 15, 2013, 4:52 AM
I strangely like this building too for some reason.

Same here...can't put my finger on it, but I like it. Usually these plain, modern highrises don't work for me but this one is different. To be fair, that picture does make it look much more dull than it actually is in person. That is most likely the case due to the fact that when you see the building on foot, you notice that the bottom floors are all glass and it makes the whole thing look better.

Spitfiredude
May 15, 2013, 5:40 AM
Same here...can't put my finger on it, but I like it. Usually these plain, modern highrises don't work for me but this one is different. To be fair, that picture does make it look much more dull than it actually is in person. That is most likely the case due to the fact that when you see the building on foot, you notice that the bottom floors are all glass and it makes the whole thing look better.

Nope...I pass by it at least twice a day and it never looks any better than the last time I passed by it. Its ugly. High rises are meant to be glass. IDK what the one guy is saying of the pool. No one has seen the damn pool yet besides in renderings lol

phxSUNSfan
May 15, 2013, 6:05 AM
Nope...I pass by it at least twice a day and it never looks any better than the last time I passed by it. Its ugly. High rises are meant to be glass. IDK what the one guy is saying of the pool. No one has seen the damn pool yet besides in renderings lol

Haha! Well, we can't really say "yes" or "no" about other peoples' opinions. We can disagree, which a few of us here do, but there is no right or wrong answer. However, I have to say that the renderings of the pool area look very cool...especially with the large projection screen similar to the one on W6. That is a large projection right? And not a large video screen on W6?

TempeSilverFox
May 15, 2013, 1:11 PM
Haha! Well, we can't really say "yes" or "no" about other peoples' opinions. We can disagree, which a few of us here do, but there is no right or wrong answer. However, I have to say that the renderings of the pool area look very cool...especially with the large projection screen similar to the one on W6. That is a large projection right? And not a large video screen on W6?

It actually is a massive TV, not a projection. I work at Chase in downtown Tempe and park in the tower opposite the pool deck at W6 and am always curious to see what they are watching haha!

Jjs5056
May 15, 2013, 3:03 PM
Stumbled upon an old article on the Tempe streetcar and I'm still kind of struggling with the proposed options. The new alignments were based on new guidelines that prefer routes that encourage dense development along the way- has anyone heard how they decided these routes were the best fit?

The option running east on Apache to Terrace makes almost no sense at all to me. There aren't many lots left in that area of Apache to develop, and the residents along that corridor are already in walking distance of light rail, which connects them to Mill. What is typical trip they are envisioning for potential riders?

I have the same issue with the Rio option- why bother with the Apache piece? Why would you not take that mile or so and extend the Rio leg east toward McClintock? That would link ASU, downtown Tempe, Tempe Marketplace, Sports District, etc. and connect all of those served by light rail. The current Rio option ends at Hayden Ferry- if the goal is development, why is it stopping exactly where developed properties end?

I just don't see who would actually ride this along these routes, or how this complements LRT- if anything, it seems like this would cannibalize light rail's ridership. I would love if someone could educate me if I am missing something, but there just don't seem to be any new areas or amenities served that aren't already fairly accessible via transit, and the development opportunities seem minimal. Most of the potential areas, such as Ash or the few lots within this area of Apache, are again fairly close to existing transit and/or within dense areas, so I would think that if development were to happen, having a streetcar stop adjacent opposed to a LRT stop .25 miles away wouldn't have much of an impact... Or does it?

I'm happy to see more options enter the mix, but am disappointed at what seems like a missed opportunity.

exit2lef
May 15, 2013, 4:44 PM
Jeff Speck urges his readers to think of modern streetcar projects more as "pedestrian accelators" than transit projects like light rail. In other words, a streetcar running through a developed area around ASU and Mill would make people empowered to travel longer distances from light rail stations. On the other hand, Jarrett Walker had a good piece in the Atlanta paper about how this approach only works when you have high frequency service:

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/opinion/streetcar-is-cool-but-will-it-be-useful/nXp6Y/?icmp=ajc_internallink_invitationbox_apr2013_ajcstubtomyajcpremium

If Tempe can fund service every 5 or 10 minutes, the pedestrian accelerator concept might work. If it's every 15 or 20 minutes, it won't help. I think the current proposals make a lot more sense than the earlier one that extended down Mill into neighborhoods of single-family homes. Nevertheless, the most logical one would follow Rio Salado farther east toward Tempe Marketplace (as tacky as it is, it is a substantial trip generator) and the new Cubs stadium in Mesa.

Spitfiredude
May 15, 2013, 5:01 PM

Definitely true. It is a TV and not a projection. I do believe at least the pool area will probably be VERY cool from the renderings, but I am just so disappointed (personally) on how the building turned out on the exterior that I'm not sold just yet! Plus I think he made it kind of seemed like he had already been there...I was just being a stickler......

Classical in Phoenix
May 15, 2013, 5:05 PM

Disagreeing just isn't the same without Vicelord.

Arquitect
May 16, 2013, 12:06 AM

Interestingly enough, high-rises did not start being made out of glass. In fact, the first high-rises were all made out of masonry, with steel support, and had a lot less glass than the View has now. The Monadnock building in Chicago and th Prudential Building in Buffalo are great examples of non-glass high-rises.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9a/Monadnock.jpg/220px-Monadnock.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3e/Prudential_Building_HDR.jpg/250px-Prudential_Building_HDR.jpg

In fact, there are really awesome contemporary high rises that are not entirely glass clad. Such as the Porter House in NYC by shop architects:

http://www.chi-athenaeum.org/archawards/2005/2005photos/PorterHouse.jpg

I am not a huge fan of The Hub aesthetically, but I don't think it is an eyesore either. Plus looking at it from the urban standpoint, it brings a lot of density into a vacant lot. It has a lot of retail space. And its parking garage is not only tucked away, but also is kinda small for the amount of people that will live there, encouraging people to walk, bike, or take the light rail. Aesthetics aside, it is a great addition to downtown.

cygnusloop99
May 16, 2013, 2:57 AM
Interestingly enough, high-rises did not start being made out of glass. In fact, the first high-rises were all made out of masonry, with steel support, and had a lot less glass than the View has now. The Monadnock building in Chicago and th Prudential Building in Buffalo are great examples of non-glass high-rises.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9a/Monadnock.jpg/220px-Monadnock.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3e/Prudential_Building_HDR.jpg/250px-Prudential_Building_HDR.jpg

In fact, there are really awesome contemporary high rises that are not entirely glass clad. Such as the Porter House in NYC by shop architects:

http://www.chi-athenaeum.org/archawards/2005/2005photos/PorterHouse.jpg

I am not a huge fan of The Hub aesthetically, but I don't think it is an eyesore either. Plus looking at it from the urban standpoint, it brings a lot of density into a vacant lot. It has a lot of retail space. And its parking garage is not only tucked away, but also is kinda small for the amount of people that will live there, encouraging people to walk, bike, or take the light rail. Aesthetics aside, it is a great addition to downtown.

Great analysis!!! And on a side note, i am also a fan of SHoP projects, they do good work.

nickw252
May 16, 2013, 3:15 AM
I really like the appearance of The Hub. I'm glad it's not covered in stupid southwestish colors like orange and teal.

phxSUNSfan
May 16, 2013, 3:44 AM
I really like the appearance of The Hub. I'm glad it's not covered in stupid southwestish colors like orange and teal.

Orange and teal are southwestish? I always thought of turquoise, copper, and browns as southwestern colors. I really like that building in NYC by SHoP Architects...That should have been done, albeit on a smaller scale, with the buildings that were knocked down by U.S. Airways Center.

Spitfiredude
May 16, 2013, 4:16 AM
Agreed, if you look at US Airways and Gateway Center, they are masonry as well. I think I was getting at everything BUT stucco. But like others said, opinions are opinions. Some people will like it, some will not...but it is definitely controversial.

MegaBass
May 16, 2013, 6:04 AM
ASU Walk-Only Zones Next Fall (http://walk.asu.edu/)

In an effort to promote pedestrian safety on the ASU Tempe campus, ASU will launch the first of three Walk-Only Zones in high foot-traffic areas at the start of the fall 2013 semester.

In addition to the Walk-Only Zones, actions are underway to improve and ease access for pedestrians across campus including these enhancements: bicycle valet areas; new bicycle rack types and locations; locked skateboard racks; and overnight golf cart charging and parking areas.

ApacheRedevelopment
May 20, 2013, 6:42 PM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/976286_579053252125580_659414684_o.jpg

220 unit student apartment project to be located at 1010 E Lemon Street. This project will include ground floor retail.

Apache Redevelopment
https://www.facebook.com/Apache.Redevelopment

PHX31
May 20, 2013, 6:57 PM
/\Nice... that piece of land is prime. I can't believe it has been vacant for so long.

combusean
May 20, 2013, 7:31 PM
They cleared the mobile home lot for which this project is presently proposed during the boom, as a reminder. Can't remember for what project specifically.

This is more value-engineered meh, and student housing at that which will be vacant four months out of the year. It's a shame developers aren't concentrating on full-time housing.

PHX31
May 20, 2013, 8:01 PM
/\ Not necessarily... unless these are dorms and actually close in the summer, many students live in places more more than a semester or two, and there will be students there year round. That area is the "student ghetto", so it makes sense to me that these are student apartments. I doubt many normal people would want to live in an area like that with so many students so close to ASU.

Arquitect
May 20, 2013, 9:58 PM
/\ Not necessarily... unless these are dorms and actually close in the summer, many students live in places more more than a semester or two, and there will be students there year round. That area is the "student ghetto", so it makes sense to me that these are student apartments. I doubt many normal people would want to live in an area like that with so many students so close to ASU.

Very true. Plus as I have stated before, you don't have to be a student to live at any of these "student housing" projects. They are marketed towards students, and most of the apartment layouts are geared towards student life, but anyone who wants to can rent out a place there. It just happens to be that they are being built in Tempe, and most of the people looking to rent here are students.

I think this is a decent project. Of course there could be something better, but there could always be something better. This project would continue the trend of density in the Apache/Rural area.

plinko
May 20, 2013, 10:43 PM
There are so few of those flatiron lots anywhere in the Valley. Why in the hell wouldn't they complete the corner, even if it's just a balcony or projection? Why stop short?

To me the project is just fine, student ghetto or not, but to not capture the corner is a total failure of the designer (or developer, you never know the real story) to recognize how unique those units could be.

ASUSunDevil
May 21, 2013, 8:28 PM
5.3 Acre “Argo at Town Lake” Project Sells for $13.5m, Purchased in 2011 for $4.6m

Vizzda – May 20, 2013 – Evergreen Development sold a 5.3 acre parcel of land immediately south of the Tempe Center for the Arts for $13.5m or $58.19 per ft2 to Lennar Multifamily- a newly formed division of Lennar Corporation. Lennar secured a $37.5m construction deed of trust with California Bank and Trust. Andrew Skipper co-founder of Evergreen and Erik R Higgens vice president of Lennar Multifamily Investors closed the deal.

The subject property is 5.3258 acres or 231,991 ft2 of commercial acreage zoned MU-4 or “Mixed Use High Density” per December 21, 2012 final-plat. Evergreen entitled the site for 328 mutlifamily units- to be known as “Argo at Town Lake”.

Plans call for a single six-story structure of 604K ft2. The top four floors will feature 319 apartments including 32 studio, 135 one-bedroom, 136 two-bedroom and 16 three-bedroom apartments. The remaining 9 units of multifamily are live/work spaces clustered at the south side of the building with a ground floor business space connected by private stairwell to a residence above; these work spaces total 1,909 ft2 of retail/office. The site plan includes a 738 ft2 coffee shop and “truck court” area with room for four mobile food truck restaurants and an outdoor seating area which will cater to pedestrian traffic at times when the Tempe Center for the Arts hosts events.

The bulk of this site was originally acquired by Zacher Development, on January 19, 2007 as a 5.06 acre assemblage for $17,401,289 and financed by a $20.0m loan from Mortgages Limited and a $1.39m loan from Metropolitan Land Company. The property was noticed for trustee sale on May 8, 2008 and reverted to the Mortgages Limited recovery fund (ML Manager) at trustee sale on December 4, 2009 for a credit bid of $3.5m.

The property was sold to Evergreen on June 13, 2011 for $4.6m or $20.86 per ft2; with $2.1m down and $2.5m debt with National Bank of Arizona. Cricket Communications signed a 5 year lease (with extensions) on January 24 of this year to operate a cellular tower on the site – a mobile tower is on the site and a permanent tower is under construction.

Arquitect
May 21, 2013, 10:15 PM
5.3 Acre “Argo at Town Lake” Project Sells for $13.5m, Purchased in 2011 for $4.6m

Vizzda – May 20, 2013 – Evergreen Development sold a 5.3 acre parcel of land immediately south of the Tempe Center for the Arts for $13.5m or $58.19 per ft2 to Lennar Multifamily- a newly formed division of Lennar Corporation. Lennar secured a $37.5m construction deed of trust with California Bank and Trust. Andrew Skipper co-founder of Evergreen and Erik R Higgens vice president of Lennar Multifamily Investors closed the deal.

The subject property is 5.3258 acres or 231,991 ft2 of commercial acreage zoned MU-4 or “Mixed Use High Density” per December 21, 2012 final-plat. Evergreen entitled the site for 328 mutlifamily units- to be known as “Argo at Town Lake”.

Plans call for a single six-story structure of 604K ft2. The top four floors will feature 319 apartments including 32 studio, 135 one-bedroom, 136 two-bedroom and 16 three-bedroom apartments. The remaining 9 units of multifamily are live/work spaces clustered at the south side of the building with a ground floor business space connected by private stairwell to a residence above; these work spaces total 1,909 ft2 of retail/office. The site plan includes a 738 ft2 coffee shop and “truck court” area with room for four mobile food truck restaurants and an outdoor seating area which will cater to pedestrian traffic at times when the Tempe Center for the Arts hosts events.

The bulk of this site was originally acquired by Zacher Development, on January 19, 2007 as a 5.06 acre assemblage for $17,401,289 and financed by a $20.0m loan from Mortgages Limited and a $1.39m loan from Metropolitan Land Company. The property was noticed for trustee sale on May 8, 2008 and reverted to the Mortgages Limited recovery fund (ML Manager) at trustee sale on December 4, 2009 for a credit bid of $3.5m.

The property was sold to Evergreen on June 13, 2011 for $4.6m or $20.86 per ft2; with $2.1m down and $2.5m debt with National Bank of Arizona. Cricket Communications signed a 5 year lease (with extensions) on January 24 of this year to operate a cellular tower on the site – a mobile tower is on the site and a permanent tower is under construction.

Always a shame to see speculation like this going on, yet it is so rampant in the Phoenix area that I have grown accustomed to it.

Looks like we will have a dirt lot for quite a while, but hey, at least we will have one of those awesome cell towers!!!

combusean
May 21, 2013, 10:50 PM
^ Not necessarily ... Lennar is an actual builder. They're very active in the Bay putting up real, dense, new urbanist, multifamily developments.

This is good news.

alexico
May 23, 2013, 2:31 AM
[IMG]https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/97

220 unit student apartment project to be located at 1010 E Lemon Street. This project will include ground floor retail.

Apache Redevelopment[/url]

ah lemon street. i had a 1 bdrm there when I was 19. my first appt.

http://i41.tinypic.com/300e2bt.jpg

Jjs5056
May 23, 2013, 4:07 AM
Does The Argo sale mean a new project/plan would be required? Can anyone get some recon going to see if there's any chance of Argo being developed? I had such respect for that development- seemed so well thought out and was a perfect fit for the area, which is in desperate need of some life.

Meanwhile, Apache continues to suck away any and all residential development away from the core. This latest one is, what, #10? And we have yet to see a single project downtown since W6 was rescued and completed.

Unfortunately, this resdiential development is almost all student housing. We need more Gacie's and Grigio's or we are going to have a dead corridor with a glut of empty retail that will never get filled- what business will open along a corridor that's only alive a portion of the year? Yikes.

nickw252
May 23, 2013, 4:27 AM
Metro Phoenix’s booming multifamily market has apparently wooed a publicly traded home builder in Miami into the business.

The Business Real Estate Weekly of Arizona reported today that Lennar Multifamily Investors LLC — a newly-formed subsidiary of Lennar Corp. (NYSE: LEN) — recently paid $13.5 million for a 5.3-acre lot along Tempe Town Lake where it plans to immediately start building a 328-unit apartment project.

The parcel is located on the south side of the lake and west of Mill Avenue, adjacent to Tempe Beach Park.

BREW said the project is Lennar Multifamily’s first endeavor in the apartment building sector.

It also marks the second apartment project currently in the works for Tempe Town Lake. The second is being built on the east side of Mill Ave. next to Hayden Ferry Lakeside by San Diego-based OliverMcMillian, which scooped up the 3.7-acre site last month for $5.8 million.

Blueprints for the Lennar Multifamily project call for units ranging from 630 to 1,800 square feet that will run from $1,000 to $3,000 in monthly rent, BREW said.

The complex — dubbed Argo at Town Lake — is a joint-venture partnership with The Resmark Cos. in Los Angeles. The construction timeline is an estimated 21 months and Jeffrey Stone’s Summit dck — formerly Summit Builders Construction Co. before being acquired by Pittsburgh-based Dck Worldwide LLC back in July — is serving as the general contractor, BREW said.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2013/05/22/tempe-town-lake-apartment-complex.html

Jjs5056
May 23, 2013, 4:34 AM
Great news, thanks for posting.

Arquitect
May 24, 2013, 4:49 PM
Does The Argo sale mean a new project/plan would be required? Can anyone get some recon going to see if there's any chance of Argo being developed? I had such respect for that development- seemed so well thought out and was a perfect fit for the area, which is in desperate need of some life.

Meanwhile, Apache continues to suck away any and all residential development away from the core. This latest one is, what, #10? And we have yet to see a single project downtown since W6 was rescued and completed.

Unfortunately, this resdiential development is almost all student housing. We need more Gacie's and Grigio's or we are going to have a dead corridor with a glut of empty retail that will never get filled- what business will open along a corridor that's only alive a portion of the year? Yikes.

I don't really see the reason for the development of Apache as a negative. In fact, I am quite excited to see how much stuff is going up in the area. And there is even more stuff coming up in the pipe-works. It isn't necessarily sucking away development from downtown. Projects such as the Hub and the Marriott are pretty good additions to the area (aesthetics aside). With many projects also being proposed for this area. We really shouldn't think about these areas as competing against each other, but rather as complementing each other. After all, they are both closely linked by transit, and are both targeted by the city to become dense mixed-use urban areas.

As for the argument about student housing, we are in Tempe. Yes, it would be nice to see other non-student housing projects being proposed. But we are next to the largest university campus in the US (which is planning to expand its enrollment to close to 100,000 students). The largest demand in the area is student housing, and that is what the market is providing. And as I have mentioned before, student housing projects are not only for students, they are just marketed and targeted towards students. Anyone can live in these places.

ASUSunDevil
May 24, 2013, 6:02 PM
Drove by Argo this morning - construction signs are posted back up and tractors are moving dirt around :righton:

MegaBass
May 24, 2013, 6:08 PM
Drove by Argo this morning - construction signs are posted back up and tractors are moving dirt around :righton:

Also noticed at Lot 59 North part of it has been taped off with some work being done.

TempeSilverFox
May 24, 2013, 7:46 PM
Great news! I know we have talked about this already- but now it is confirmed! State Farm is for sure going to build a HUGE office/ retail complex on the south shore of Tempe Town Lake! Amenities will include retail, restaurants, coffee shops and fitness facilities! There will also be quite a large area of public space. Check out the news post from the City of Tempe and the link here:

http://www.tempe.gov/index.aspx?page=31&recordid=1519

Tempe lands two million square foot multi-use office development
Posted Date: 5/24/2013

State Farm® To Be Major Tenant in $600 Million Office Complex

TEMPE, Ariz. (May 24, 2013) – The City of Tempe announced today that Ryan Companies US, Inc. and Sunbelt Holdings will develop a site owned by ASU adjacent to Tempe Town Lake, subject to City Council approval of development agreement details in the coming month. State Farm will lease office space and anchor the multi-use development.

The Marina Heights project in Tempe will be the largest office development deal in Arizona history, with more than 2 million square feet to be constructed on more than 20 acres. Construction costs are estimated at $600 million. Additionally, 40,000 to 60,000 square feet of retail amenities will complement the transit-oriented development, including food service, coffee shops, restaurants, business services, and fitness facilities. The site will also feature an approximately 10-acre lakeside plaza, which will be open to the public.

“This is a proud day for Tempe and everyone involved. We are tremendously excited about what the addition of State Farm will mean to our community over the decades to come,” said Tempe Mayor Mark Mitchell. “These employees, buildings, and amenities will further contribute to and showcase the vibrancy of Tempe Town Lake, Mill Avenue, and Arizona State University, and serve as a catalyst for more high-quality development.”

"We are thrilled that State Farm will be expanding in Arizona," said Governor Jan Brewer. "The jobs that will be created to make this project a reality will be a tremendous boon to our economy. This is a great example of how our plan to build an Arizona that is attractive to high value employers is hitting the mark."

The five-building campus will be leased by State Farm and become a hub to include a combination of new hires and existing employees who will provide claims, service, and sales support to State Farm customers.

“State Farm selected Tempe because it has a growing population with skill sets that match our customers’ needs,” said Mary Crego, Senior Vice President, State Farm. “The site along Tempe Town Lake gives our employees access to nearby amenities as well as easy connections to public transportation.”

"We look forward to having State Farm as a neighbor and to working with the company on a variety of programs including employee recruitment and academic programs for their staff," said ASU President Michael M. Crow. "State Farm's decision to lease the land owned by the university immediately adjacent to the ASU Athletic Facilities District is the first major step in the campaign to fund new and renovated sports facilities for the university. The Athletic Facilities District will be home to an exciting mixed-use development reflecting high quality and the best practices of sustainability. A high stature tenant such as State Farm will add to the luster of the district and validates its attractiveness."

The project is being developed by Ryan Companies US, Inc. and Sunbelt Holdings. Tempe-based architectural firm DAVIS designed the project.

About State Farm
State Farm and its affiliates are the largest provider of car insurance in the U.S. and is a leading insurer in Canada. In addition to providing auto insurance quotes, their 17,800 agents and more than 65,000 employees serve 81 million policies and accounts – more than 79 million auto, home, life and health policies in the United States and Canada, and nearly 2 million bank accounts. Commercial auto insurance, along with coverage for renters, business owners, boats and motorcycles, is also available. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company is the parent of the State Farm family of companies. State Farm is ranked No. 44 on the Fortune 500 list of largest companies. For more information, please visit www.statefarm.com or in Canada www.statefarm.ca.

About Arizona State University
Arizona State University is a New American University - a major public educational institution, a premier research center and a leader in innovation. Our vision is described by our three core principles: excellence in scholarship, access to education and impact in our global community. As a New American University, ASU is intellectually vibrant, socially conscious and globally engaged. For more information, please visit www.asu.edu.

About Sunbelt Holdings
Sunbelt Holdings has been a recognized leader in real estate development, management and investment throughout the Southwest since 1979. Over the years, the firm has gained an understanding of the area’s unique characteristics that only time and experience can teach. Sunbelt entered the local market more than 30 years ago with a strong presence in commercial development and asset management. Early projects like the Phoenix Gateway Center remain successful icons. Recent acquisitions of turn-around assets have provided unique opportunities to add value in the ‘class A’ office market with the Hayden Ferry Lakeside project in Tempe, and the PV|303 industrial project in the West Valley. Sunbelt also developed some of the Valley’s most beloved residential communities including McDowell Mountain Ranch in Scottsdale, Power Ranch in the East Valley and Vistancia in the Northwest Valley. In all, Sunbelt has developed over 50,000 acres of land over the past 30 years. For more information, please visit www.sunbeltholdings.com.

About Ryan Companies US, Inc.
Ryan Companies US, Inc. is a 3rd generation, family-owned national developer, designer, capital investment consultant, builder, and real estate manager specializing in fully integrated solutions for more than 75 years. Key Ryan market sectors include: office, retail, distribution, mission critical, public, and health care; and additional product experience includes work on mixed use, hospitality and multi-family housing. Ryan serves customers throughout the United States having completed over 170 projects in the past 5 years. Ryan has offices throughout the country in the NorthCentral, Midwest, Great Lakes, SouthEast, SouthCentral, and SouthWest regions. Ryan’s SouthWest Region has developed over 20 million square feet since opening its Phoenix office in 1994. For more information, please visit www.ryancompanies.com.

Additional Contacts:
Robert Villegas, State Farm, 480-293-6018
Virgil Renzulli, ASU, 480-965-8526
Heidi Kimball, Sunbelt Holdings, 480-609-2304
Sara Dial, Ryan Companies US, Inc., 480-205-6034

Spitfiredude
May 24, 2013, 8:08 PM
This is very exciting for Tempe & Phoenix. This project is the tipping point for development in Tempe. I believe, we will now see more multi-use housing across the lake and Downtown Tempe. I also think this will spur the streetcar along Rio Salado.

I wish we could get some more details though! I looked up all sites and none have details on what the buildings will look like. They said 5 different buildings, so I assume they will range in size of 10-20 stories. I hope this will further development of Hayden Harbor and Southbank.

The Argo site is in fact moving dirt. I can see it from my apartment. Good to see.

***UPDATE***:

I don't know if it is a credible source, but I commented on the COT Facebook page, and they told me that construction will start this summer and conclude in 2017. So I'm assuming its a multi-phased project.

Jjs5056
May 24, 2013, 11:58 PM
I don't really see the reason for the development of Apache as a negative. In fact, I am quite excited to see how much stuff is going up in the area. And there is even more stuff coming up in the pipe-works. It isn't necessarily sucking away development from downtown. Projects such as the Hub and the Marriott are pretty good additions to the area (aesthetics aside). With many projects also being proposed for this area. We really shouldn't think about these areas as competing against each other, but rather as complementing each other. After all, they are both closely linked by transit, and are both targeted by the city to become dense mixed-use urban areas.

As for the argument about student housing, we are in Tempe. Yes, it would be nice to see other non-student housing projects being proposed. But we are next to the largest university campus in the US (which is planning to expand its enrollment to close to 100,000 students). The largest demand in the area is student housing, and that is what the market is providing. And as I have mentioned before, student housing projects are not only for students, they are just marketed and targeted towards students. Anyone can live in these places.

Everything you say is true. I am not at all opposed to the development along Apache- it's great to see urbanity spread along the LRT. I just lament the fact that this area has seen such a huge concentration of the residential development, as downtown will be where Tempe diversifies its economy and there has just been so little action there or along the lake. I think Apache needs more Gracie's and Grigio's as opposed to the Vues of the corridor... Almost every project includes ground retail and I just don't see that being successful if the demographcs don't shift just a bit, and I would really like to see it be a nice, diverse walkable area with ethnic food stores, thrift shops, amenity-type stores and so on.

Also, yes, others can live in these student oriented housing projects, but most turn into the Vue aka glorified dorms. That's great we are developing student housing that is urban, but Tempe has always had the potential to diversify and bring in other demographics and has plans for putting infrastructure to support that employment and resident growth beyond just ASU.

Where will State Farm employees live? The Hub? Of course, the hope is this news spurs some projects, but my point is there are very few options currently for professionals who desire an urban lifestyle and that's a shame for what is currently the leader for urban values in the state.

Jjs5056
May 25, 2013, 12:08 AM
Great that the Marina Heights movement was the real deal (State Farm project); interested to see what is actually built in Phase I and what this lakeside plaza entails.

Also, I hope the recent SouthBank movement is real, too, to provide some nearby housing along with the Lofts at Hayden Ferry.

Too bad an apartment+hotel highrise couldn't make its way into the development. Seems like the first location: lake, downtown, asu, jobs, streetcar, etc.

Jjs5056
May 25, 2013, 12:09 AM
Great that the Marina Heights movement was the real deal (State Farm project); interested to see what is actually built in Phase I and what this lakeside plaza entails. Happy to hear restaurant and retail uses will be involved; original articles mentioned office only and I was nervous it would be a literal office campus.

Also, I hope the recent SouthBank movement is real, too, to provide some nearby housing along with the Lofts at Hayden Ferry.

Too bad an apartment+hotel highrise couldn't make its way into the development. Seems like the first location: lake, downtown, asu, jobs, streetcar, etc.

phxSUNSfan
May 25, 2013, 6:02 AM
A Republic article gives a little more detail on the Marina Heights project. Here are some of the highlights:

The $600 million Marina Heights project, which will be anchored by an 18-story local State Farm insurance company headquarters, is being touted as the state’s largest office development and the catalyst that will help transform the lakefront into the hot spot for upscale offices and condominium projects originally envisioned...

State Farm expects to move much of its Valley workforce into Marina Heights in 2017. The insurance giant has 2,100 employees at four local offices with immediate plans to hire another 900 workers...

The project is expected to boost ASU’s efforts for development in its adjacent Athletics Facilities District...

Marina Heights will include five buildings of four to 18 stories with two levels of underground parking, she said...
http://www.azcentral.com/community/tempe/articles/20130524tempe-announces-million-office-development-deal.html

HX_Guy
May 25, 2013, 6:43 AM
Was about to post the same article. Thats pretty decent height for the area...how many floors is the current tallest building on the shores of Town Lake?

phxSUNSfan
May 25, 2013, 6:47 AM
Was about to post the same article. Thats pretty decent height for the area...how many floors is the current tallest building on the shores of Town Lake?

I have been in the tallest building, which houses KPMG, and it has 12 floors. The Bridgeview Condominiums at Hayden Ferry Lakeside is also a 12 floor midrise.

Arquitect
May 25, 2013, 11:25 PM

That is indeed a pretty great height. About the same size as the Hub. It will look great right along the lake. I am really looking forward to seeing the design. My guess is that it probably won't be anything cutting edge (the firm mentioned tends to be more on the corporate look side), but should complement well with what is already there.

phxSUNSfan
May 25, 2013, 11:35 PM
That is indeed a pretty great height. About the same size as the Hub. It will look great right along the lake. I am really looking forward to seeing the design. My guess is that it probably won't be anything cutting edge (the firm mentioned tends to be more on the corporate look side), but should complement well with what is already there.

I am trying to find the reference, it has been a few years since I last read it, but Tempe had certain requirements for buildings along Town Lake. I'm not sure if it was actually city code or regulations like downtown Phoenix's Urban Form Code, but I believe it may have been. Tempe wanted all the buildings to have design elements that would incorporate aesthetics of Hayden Ferry Lakeside.

TempeSilverFox
May 26, 2013, 9:11 PM
I just saw this article about Argo at Town Lake. I hope the project looks just like this- I think it's pretty sweet looking!!!

http://azbex.com/lennars-new-multifamily-unit-to-build-first-complex-on-the-lake/#

MegaBass
May 26, 2013, 11:44 PM
I just saw this article about Argo at Town Lake. I hope the project looks just like this- I think it's pretty sweet looking!!!

http://azbex.com/lennars-new-multifamily-unit-to-build-first-complex-on-the-lake/#

http://azbex.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Argo-at-TTL.jpg

Whoa... Triangleplex.

phxSUNSfan
May 27, 2013, 1:39 AM

Whoa... Triangleplex.

Yeah, not bad...that sail theme, like the triangles, is supposed to carry over into other developments around the lake. It is supposedly part of a plan to help blend in all new development with the "waterfront" motif (a nod to the small sailboats you see all over the lake).

phxSUNSfan
May 27, 2013, 3:12 AM
According to the Phoenix Business Journal, the State Farm Headquarters will mean that ASU loses 2,000 parking spots from lot 59N. To me, this is a good thing. The city, ASU, and companies need to encourage workers to take transit, carpool, live closer to work/school, etc...I think the pains will be relatively minor when all said and done. I see so many more people biking, walking, and taking light rail to work and school. Downtown Phoenix and Tempe just need these apartment and condo developments to increase the clip at which they are being built. Here is the article regarding the lost parking for students...this is another reason why ASU and Tempe are pushing so much new student housing around Apache and along College.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2013/05/24/state-farm-development-lots-of-jobs.html

DevilsRider
May 27, 2013, 4:56 PM
From the Tempe City Council agenda for May 30th...It appears buildings A and E will be built above the parking. The agenda attachment says subterranian parking, but the picture makes it look like the parking may be above-ground with the buildings atop...

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5330/8855807803_a2396cc964.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/devilsrider/8855807803/)
State Farm (http://www.flickr.com/photos/devilsrider/8855807803/) by DevilsRider (http://www.flickr.com/people/devilsrider/), on Flickr

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3669/8855892379_69f190f04d.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/devilsrider/8855892379/)
StateFarm2 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/devilsrider/8855892379/) by DevilsRider (http://www.flickr.com/people/devilsrider/), on Flickr

phxSUNSfan
May 27, 2013, 5:35 PM
From the Tempe City Council agenda for May 30th...It appears buildings A and E will be built above the parking. The agenda attachment says subterranian parking, but the picture makes it look like the parking may be above-ground with the buildings atop...

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3669/8855892379_69f190f04d.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/devilsrider/8855892379/)
StateFarm2 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/devilsrider/8855892379/) by DevilsRider (http://www.flickr.com/people/devilsrider/), on Flickr

Hard to tell from that rendering regarding the parking. I think the Tempe City Council might have a few issues with this conceptual design. It is much too square...just boxes sitting atop boxes. Not sure I like the look as is and it might not fit in along the lake.

MegaBass
May 27, 2013, 7:25 PM

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5330/8855807803_a2396cc964.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/devilsrider/8855807803/)
State Farm (http://www.flickr.com/photos/devilsrider/8855807803/) by DevilsRider (http://www.flickr.com/people/devilsrider/), on Flickr

Really? That's their $600 million design?

cygnusloop99
May 27, 2013, 7:41 PM
Am I the only one that read the City of Tempe press release, it says Davis is the architect for this project (who designed and operates out of Hayden's Ferry Lakeside). The renderings say Design Farm Studio, I can't even find a website for them, maybe its the internal planning team at State Farm?

Arquitect
May 28, 2013, 1:02 AM
Am I the only one that read the City of Tempe press release, it says Davis is the architect for this project (who designed and operates out of Hayden's Ferry Lakeside). The renderings say Design Farm Studio, I can't even find a website for them, maybe its the internal planning team at State Farm?

They are just a conceptual design. So they are often done by smaller firms just to throw out ideas, or get through preliminary reviews. I can guarantee that the final product will look much different.

MegaBass
May 28, 2013, 2:33 PM
They are just conceptual a conceptual design. So they are often done by smaller firms just to throw out ideas, or get through preliminary reviews. I can guarantee that the final product will look much different.

Ah. ASU News mentioned (https://asunews.asu.edu/20130523_statefarm):

Design of the State Farm building is currently underway. The plan is for State Farm to gain first-phase occupancy in the first quarter of 2015.

BA744PHX
May 29, 2013, 1:01 AM
check out Davis website. They show a video/renderings for the W Phoenix it looks very recent with CityScape built in the background. Is it possible the W could be back?

http://thedavisexperience.com/home.php

TempeSilverFox
May 29, 2013, 1:47 AM

Whoa... Triangleplex.

Check this updated article out from AZRE! Sounds like the big steel sails will be fitted with LED color changing lights that will be visible from the freeway! ROCK ON!!!

http://azremagazine.com/new-market/summit-dck-commences-construction-argo-town-lake-lennar

TempeSilverFox
May 29, 2013, 1:48 AM
check out Davis website. They show a video/renderings for the W Phoenix it looks very recent with CityScape built in the background. Is it possible the W could be back?

That would be SUCH a cool addition to the downtown Phoenix skyline!

Arquitect
May 29, 2013, 1:53 AM
Check this updated article out from AZRE! Sounds like the big steel sails will be fitted with LED color changing lights that will be visible from the freeway! ROCK ON!!!

http://azremagazine.com/new-market/summit-dck-commences-construction-argo-town-lake-lennar

That is pretty awesome. Hopefully this spurs more developments to have a public face towards Rio Salado. As of now, most projects turn its back to it (TCA, Hayden Ferry) or fence themselves off from it (The two condo complexes closest to the train tracks). I'm excited to finally see this project going somewhere after so many months of inactivity.

TempeSilverFox
May 29, 2013, 1:53 AM
This article gives a bit more info about the Marina Heights/ State Farm complex. The last paragraph also seems to indicate that we may be hearing more about an ASU/ Tempe hotel/ conference center soon! :)

http://azbex.com/state-farm-tempe-regional-hq-a-massive-600m-development/#

PHX31
May 29, 2013, 2:03 AM

Can someone post the rendering I'm the phx thread?

phoenixwillrise
May 29, 2013, 4:55 AM
Don't know if anyone else noticed, in the euphoria over this project, but the article in the AZ Bus Journal said something to the effect that ASU would purchase the part of the parcels they didn't own from Sunbelt Holdings for 15+million and then would lease the property to State Farm taking the fee upfront for the entire length of the lease for 10 million. HUH? So they are doing this deal for a 5 million dollar loss along with the property they already hold? Maybe the writer of the article meant to say 100 million. She also states in the article that it is not known what ASU intends to do with the money. Didn't they go on notice that they formed a sports district in this area to raise money for the stadium? Where do they find the people who write these articles or did I misread something?

nickw252
May 29, 2013, 5:27 AM
Re: FUZZY MATH on Stat Farm Project in AZ BUS Journal

Don't know if anyone else noticed, in the euphoria over this project, but the article in the AZ Bus Journal said something to the effect that ASU would purchase the part of the parcels they didn't own from Sunbelt Holdings for 15+million and then would lease the property to State Farm taking the fee upfront for the entire length of the lease for 10 million. HUH? So they are doing this deal for a 5 million dollar loss along with the property they already hold? Maybe the writer of the article meant to say 100 million. She also states in the article that it is not known what ASU intends to do with the money. Didn't they go on notice that they formed a sports district in this area to raise money for the stadium? Where do they find the people who write these articles or did I misread something?

Emphasis added.

Purchase ≠ Lease

Jjs5056
May 29, 2013, 10:57 AM
That is pretty awesome. Hopefully this spurs more developments to have a public face towards Rio Salado. As of now, most projects turn its back to it (TCA, Hayden Ferry) or fence themselves off from it (The two condo complexes closest to the train tracks). I'm excited to finally see this project going somewhere after so many months of inactivity.

Yes, I absolutely agree. One of the most exciting aspects of this project was that it finally addressed Rio Salado. I had no idea some of the condos nearby were live/work; they weren't designed in an urban way at all. I understand that there is some grading issues, but having a nice connected experience with pedestrians between Beach Park and the TCA is really important, and as you mentioned, the existing built environment completely missed the mark. As gorgeous as the TCA is, does anyone know why it was built so suburbanly? I really wish they had gone with underground parking and incorporated public space at the top- it's a shame it it taking a developer on the other side to think about this. A space for food trucks, small bands, etc. for before shows (or even on the weekends) would have been great. At the very least, an above-ground garage and some retail would have been great. That sea of parking is just super unfortunate and is almost comcial given the proximity to the pedestrian bridge. At the least, retail should've been incorporated.

To whomever said city what's trianges/sails incorporated into lake development projects, I find that horribly tacky and hope it's untrue. Given the massive buidings projected to be built between Rural and Mill, the last thing we need is a row of similar, blue-glass triangular buildings.

phoenixwillrise
May 29, 2013, 2:44 PM
Re: FUZZY MATH on Stat Farm Project in AZ BUS Journal

Emphasis added.

Purchase ≠ Lease
Nick, I know what a purchase vs a lease is. If you purchase a property for 15 million and then turn around and lease it for the FULL TERM OF THE LEASE amount up front for 10 million you just lost 5 million dollars for the term of the lease. I would assume the lease is at least 30 years. The point being that math doesn't make sense unless she meant to say 100 million. What advantage would ASU have in buying part of a parcel that they didn't own and then taking that plus the other part of it they already owned and leasing the entire property for the full term of the lease for less then they bought a portion of it for? Where is the money for the stadium in that?

Arquitect
May 29, 2013, 3:20 PM
Nick, I know what a purchase vs a lease is. If you purchase a property for 15 million and then turn around and lease it for the FULL TERM OF THE LEASE amount up front for 10 million you just lost 5 million dollars for the term of the lease. I would assume the lease is at least 30 years. The point being that math doesn't make sense unless she meant to say 100 million. What advantage would ASU have in buying part of a parcel that they didn't own and then taking that plus the other part of it they already owned and leasing the entire property for the full term of the lease for less then they bought a portion of it for? Where is the money for the stadium in that?

Even though some of this land is in the area that was proposed for the Facilities Improvements District, but the article mentions that both this project and the hotel would not be taken into consideration for this. And it kinda makes sense. By adding such a big project to the area, ASU gains a huge magnet for future housing projects in the Rio Salado Eco District, as well as big demand for retail and other services. The EcoDistrict will also have some very stringent sustainable guidelines, so maybe ASU kept this project out of it in fear that placing limitations on such a large project would cause it to move elsewhere.

So what does ASU gain? ASU owns the land and therefore the buildings that are built on it. Therefore, any improvements on the property (such as the improvements to the linear lakeside park mentioned in the article) benefit ASU. Basically, ASU is getting all of the buildings built for them, at a ridiculous cost of 5 million. They aren't dumb.

phxSUNSfan
May 29, 2013, 6:21 PM
To whomever said city what's trianges/sails incorporated into lake development projects, I find that horribly tacky and hope it's untrue. Given the massive buidings projected to be built between Rural and Mill, the last thing we need is a row of similar, blue-glass triangular buildings.

Haha, yes, giant glass triangles would be interesting but that is not what I meant. They city is hoping to incorporate "marine-like" qualities into each development. For instance, the Bridgeview Condos look like waterfront buildings you would find in San Diego. The rounded top floors look like the bridge of a ship; hence, Bridgeview. The KPMG building was designed oblong to look like the shape of a sailboat with a mast-like spire over the crown. Argo has cool sails that will be illuminated with LEDs...each have unique aspects and not every building will need sails, per se, incorporated into the design. However, many of the shade structures near the SmithBarney building of Hayden Ferry do look like sails and I'm sure that will probably carry over into the new public plaza for Marina Heights.

As for ASU's lease/purchase deal...there is certainly a little more detail that has not been revealed. For instance, in lieu of paying property or, in State Farms case, rental taxes they will pay a yearly fee on top of the lease agreement. That yearly, mandatory fee wasn't addressed in any of the articles so far. It is not clear if that was calculated into the lease contract or if it will be billed separately.

Jjs5056
May 30, 2013, 12:59 PM
Haha, yes, giant glass triangles would be interesting but that is not what I meant. They city is hoping to incorporate "marine-like" qualities into each development. For instance, the Bridgeview Condos look like waterfront buildings you would find in San Diego. The rounded top floors look like the bridge of a ship; hence, Bridgeview. The KPMG building was designed oblong to look like the shape of a sailboat with a mast-like spire over the crown. Argo has cool sails that will be illuminated with LEDs...each have unique aspects and not every building will need sails, per se, incorporated into the design. However, many of the shade structures near the SmithBarney building of Hayden Ferry do look like sails and I'm sure that will probably carry over into the new public plaza for Marina Heights.

As for ASU's lease/purchase deal...there is certainly a little more detail that has not been revealed. For instance, in lieu of paying property or, in State Farms case, rental taxes they will pay a yearly fee on top of the lease agreement. That yearly, mandatory fee wasn't addressed in any of the articles so far. It is not clear if that was calculated into the lease contract or if it will be billed separately.

I get ya, and this rant is not directed at you, But, I still don't like any attempts to harmonize the design of an entire downtown. Imagine if all waterfront in Manhattan needed water references?

What Tempe actuallly needs from a visual standpoint is as much variety as possible. The majority is blue glass and white sails or triangles. The only time it starts looking like it might not have been built overnight by one developer is when the mill comes into view along with the Orchidhouse condos.

I don't see anything wrong with a 12-story brick building being built on the lake. If it is designed to take advantage of the views, uses large windows, patios, etc. - why not? I am so so glad HFL went no further. A stretch wretch of identical buildings would have been dreadful.

I have no problem with some developments adding these touches, but that flair needs to be accent work. A shoreline filled with white sails, and the beauty and uniqueness of TCA and the bridge will be gone. In fact, I'd argue development in that immediate area should stay clear of white fabric accents of triangles to provide a clear backdrop for those public investments to stand out, as they really are quite impressive. Let's not make them ordinary.

Look at Mill Ave- it thrives because of the variety if its historic stock. Setting guidelines for sameness, while not caring that garages like the one at HFL orvparking lot at TCA are created makes me think some priorities are off in terms of how the lake is developed.

azsunsurfer
May 30, 2013, 2:59 PM
If you look at the most recent Tempe Development Commission meeting, there was a new proposal for an office complex south of the purposed 14 story tower at the Fountainhead Centre near I 10 and Broadway. Their are four buildings staggered from 12-3 stories. Interesting renderings even if they are only conceptual at this point. http://www.tempe.gov/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=18237

Arquitect
May 30, 2013, 3:25 PM
I get ya, and this rant is not directed at you, But, I still don't like any attempts to harmonize the design of an entire downtown. Imagine if all waterfront in Manhattan needed water references?

What Tempe actuallly needs from a visual standpoint is as much variety as possible. The majority is blue glass and white sails or triangles. The only time it starts looking like it might not have been built overnight by one developer is when the mill comes into view along with the Orchidhouse condos.

I don't see anything wrong with a 12-story brick building being built on the lake. If it is designed to take advantage of the views, uses large windows, patios, etc. - why not? I am so so glad HFL went no further. A stretch wretch of identical buildings would have been dreadful.

I have no problem with some developments adding these touches, but that flair needs to be accent work. A shoreline filled with white sails, and the beauty and uniqueness of TCA and the bridge will be gone. In fact, I'd argue development in that immediate area should stay clear of white fabric accents of triangles to provide a clear backdrop for those public investments to stand out, as they really are quite impressive. Let's not make them ordinary.

Look at Mill Ave- it thrives because of the variety if its historic stock. Setting guidelines for sameness, while not caring that garages like the one at HFL orvparking lot at TCA are created makes me think some priorities are off in terms of how the lake is developed.

Mill Ave. actually did have guidelines to create some sort of uniformity. New buildings built along Mill had to use brick in one way or another.

phoenixwillrise
May 30, 2013, 3:34 PM
Even though some of this land is in the area that was proposed for the Facilities Improvements District, but the article mentions that both this project and the hotel would not be taken into consideration for this. And it kinda makes sense. By adding such a big project to the area, ASU gains a huge magnet for future housing projects in the Rio Salado Eco District, as well as big demand for retail and other services. The EcoDistrict will also have some very stringent sustainable guidelines, so maybe ASU kept this project out of it in fear that placing limitations on such a large project would cause it to move elsewhere.

So what does ASU gain? ASU owns the land and therefore the buildings that are built on it. Therefore, any improvements on the property (such as the improvements to the linear lakeside park mentioned in the article) benefit ASU. Basically, ASU is getting all of the buildings built for them, at a ridiculous cost of 5 million. They aren't dumb.

But not for the reason you cited. What you missed and I have subsequently found out, and if I understand it correctly, is that in this Stadium District all property tax will go to the university. I am not sure yet if this project is part of that and it would have been nice if the person who wrote that article would have researched that question. I would assume it most probably is part of that and that would explain why they would take the loss on purchasing the property and possibly not reaping benefit until after at the expiration/renewal of the lease, which might be something like 30 years.

Arquitect
May 30, 2013, 3:34 PM
If you look at the most recent Tempe Development Commission meeting, there was a new proposal for an office complex south of the purposed 14 story tower at the Fountainhead Centre near I 10 and Broadway. Their are four buildings staggered from 12-3 stories. Interesting renderings even if they are only conceptual at this point. http://www.tempe.gov/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=18237

For a corporate office area they look interesting, especially if you compare them to the fountainhead center. I hope that they don't value engineer the heck out of it.

I really like how as you are driving in from the freeway, you see that pocket of density before the butte. I just wish the city could do something to connect those offices to the rest of the city. Currently, the only "real" real way to get there is driving. And hence the several parking garages in the area.

Arquitect
May 30, 2013, 3:44 PM
But not for the reason you cited. What you missed and I have subsequently found out, and if I understand it correctly, is that in this Stadium District all property tax will go to the university. I am not sure yet if this project is part of that and it would have been nice if the person who wrote that article would have researched that question. I would assume it most probably is part of that and that would explain why they would take the loss on purchasing the property and possibly not reaping benefit until after at the expiration/renewal of the lease, which might be something like 30 years.

That is true, and we spoke about that when the Rio Salado EcoDistrict was proposed. There actually is no property tax in ASU owned land. So what the university is doing is charging what would be equivalent to a property tax to fund the payments on the loans for fixing the stadium. (Stadium repairs are starting before the district is even built).

That being said, the university still greatly benefits from any improvements done. There really is no loss for them in this deal.

What I find interesting is the city matching money for any improvements done to the linear park along the lake. Taking into consideration that they will not be receiving property taxes from this development, it is a bold move. Their return on investment will definitely come from a greater demand for housing and services in the area.

phxSUNSfan
May 30, 2013, 5:47 PM

I think sometimes you take your criticisms to the extreme. First, while HFL does have some matching features, like the blue glass, the condos stand apart from the company buildings...you wouldn't confuse them in other words. Developing some buildings along the south shore isn't the "entire" downtown either, so variety will no doubt be seen all over Tempe. For instance, and as was noted, brick accents are required along Mill. And you can see different styles of buildings in ASU's campus south of the buttes taking a nice modern look with Block 12 and the Fulton Center. The lake will have its unique characteristics as well.

Arquitect
May 30, 2013, 6:41 PM
I think sometimes you take your criticisms to the extreme. First, while HFL does have some matching features, like the blue glass, the condos stand apart from the company buildings...you wouldn't confuse them in other words. Developing some buildings along the south shore isn't the "entire" downtown either, so variety will no doubt be seen all over Tempe. For instance, and as was noted, brick accents are required along Mill. And you can see different styles of buildings in ASU's campus south of the buttes taking a nice modern look with Block 12 and the Fulton Center. The lake will have its unique characteristics as well.

I completely agree. There is little that can be done to prevent the lakeside from having multi-building developments. It is the way it was planned out; several large projects with lots of acreage. Yet, I also believe that the designs proposed have not really become identical copies of each-other. Hayden Ferry definitely has a look to it, but there is some variety within it. Argo doesn't really seem to be a copy of it either (and lets not get confused, Argo is not actually on the lake).

The projects that have resurfaced, or being proposed lately, are also not necessarily monotonous either. We are going to see some variety in heights and design. The "marine" concept can be stretched quite a bit, it is not just sails and shapes, without a doubt, the designers will want to show their own twist on the matter.

phxSUNSfan
May 30, 2013, 7:21 PM
The projects that have resurfaced, or being proposed lately, are also not necessarily monotonous either. We are going to see some variety in heights and design. The "marine" concept can be stretched quite a bit, it is not just sails and shapes, without a doubt, the designers will want to show their own twist on the matter.

Exactly...the sails and shapes were just examples of what can be, and what has been, done along the lake. I don't think Argo looks like anything on or near the lake thus far...just proves the point that the "marine, waterfront, sailboat, etc." concept can vary greatly while still incorporating a theme. I was hoping to make the City Council Meeting today in Tempe regarding the Marina Heights development, but won't be able to make it.

Jjs5056
May 31, 2013, 1:50 AM
I completely agree. There is little that can be done to prevent the lakeside from having multi-building developments. It is the way it was planned out; several large projects with lots of acreage. Yet, I also believe that the designs proposed have not really become identical copies of each-other. Hayden Ferry definitely has a look to it, but there is some variety within it. Argo doesn't really seem to be a copy of it either (and lets not get confused, Argo is not actually on the lake).

Oh, I think HFL is just fine the way it is now. I'm just glad it sold off most of its property. The original site duplicated building after building toward close to Rural. I think HFL > Oliver McMillan > Marina Heights wil bring plenty of visual interest in theory.
ETA: I combined the following two images in my head to think the row of condos continued indefinitely. Regardless, I am glad other developers have gotten involved on that side of the shore.
http://www.ccim.com/cire-magazine/articles/mixed-use-matures
http://www.haydenferry.com/assets/images/misc/siteplan.jpg

I just don't think I'll ever agree that every lakefront development needs to reference the sea... Just seems tacky and limiting. I think projects that were special and made investments in their design, like the bridge and TCA, turned out fantastic, but I would hate to see what the people behind The Hub would have ended up turning out, for example. Seems to just have a high risk for going theme park real quick. But, maybe every project will look like Argo, TCA, etc.? I'm willing to quit bitching til a giant sailboat gets erected on the former Onyx site.

Also, the lake isn't all of downtown, but unfortunately, that's really the only/most common view of the city you get with the 202 being elevated and such, and I don't think I'm being overly critical in saying a mix of what is currently there - which really is predominantly blue glass buildings right now that dominate the view - with some more traditional looking structures would look nice for variety.

That's all... And, interesting to know that Mill requires brick be used. I think the use if brick across so many different styles/generations might make it feel less forced, whereas all the outer development is happening during an era iof similar trends? Idk- just thoughts. Didn't mean to be overly critical.

phxSUNSfan
May 31, 2013, 2:13 AM
Oh, I think HFL is just fine the way it is now. I'm just glad it sold off most of its property. The original site duplicated building after building toward close to Rural...Didn't mean to be overly critical.

It isn't that you are always overly critical, that was probably poor word choice in this instance...more like a little extreme in your interpretations. ;) For instance, when I was describing shade structures you took it to mean that giant, glass triangles would be built. Also, lakefront development doesn't mean the "sea" is being referenced. That's a new one...

I do agree that all the original HFL projects would be a bit much. There were supposed to be 3 more buildings almost exactly like Bridgeview. I can see the monotony in that. However, the other buildings you are describing, like Onyx, fell outside of the "marine" themed area. I believe it only went from Rural west to the pedestrian bridge. I am not so sure that "traditional" buildings would fit in well in this area. Perhaps some brick accents, but I think the direction is already set and no one said that "blue glass" was required. I think that might be another one of your extreme misinterpretations.

Arquitect
May 31, 2013, 3:44 AM
Also, the lake isn't all of downtown, but unfortunately, that's really the only/most common view of the city you get with the 202 being elevated and such, and I don't think I'm being overly critical in saying a mix of what is currently there - which really is predominantly blue glass buildings right now that dominate the view - with some more traditional looking structures would look nice for variety.

We can be thankful that HF didn't extend all that way. I think that the extent of its current project is a good enough size. Hopefully they fill up their two empty lots soon. I really would like to see the proposal of the hotel back, but I'd be happy with either offices or residential as well.

I do have an issue with the use of the word traditional when referring to architecture. It is nothing personal, but it is a statement that gets thrown out a lot by people, especially those who dislike Modern and contemporary design. What makes traditional buildings awesome is their age, and attention to detail. What people seem to forget is that it really can't be replicated, at least not without looking cheap or tacky. Many of the "old stock" buildings were built in a time when labor cost where much much cheaper, hence doing such beautiful and elaborate designs was feasible. Nowadays, that is nearly impossible, so instead we get brick veneers instead of brick buildings, or stucco instead of stone. It ends up being a caricature of what it was supposed to be. Contemporary design is much more than just glass boxes, and we have some great examples of that here in the valley. I completely agree with you that we need more than just blue tinted glass in the lake, but I would much rather see great contemporary buildings (using different materials of course), instead of tacky post-modern interpretations of the traditional. It would be so much grater to create a story of our present through the design, instead of trying to fabricate a history of a past that was never there. The lake is contemporary, and deserves great contemporary building that represent how great of an idea it was to create it.

HooverDam
May 31, 2013, 4:28 AM
I do have an issue with the use of the word traditional when referring to architecture. It is nothing personal, but it is a statement that gets thrown out a lot by people, especially those who dislike Modern and contemporary design. What makes traditional buildings awesome is their age, and attention to detail. What people seem to forget is that it really can't be replicated, at least not without looking cheap or tacky. Many of the "old stock" buildings were built in a time when labor cost where much much cheaper, hence doing such beautiful and elaborate designs was feasible. Nowadays, that is nearly impossible, so instead we get brick veneers instead of brick buildings, or stucco instead of stone. It ends up being a caricature of what it was supposed to be. Contemporary design is much more than just glass boxes, and we have some great examples of that here in the valley. I completely agree with you that we need more than just blue tinted glass in the lake, but I would much rather see great contemporary buildings (using different materials of course), instead of tacky post-modern interpretations of the traditional. It would be so much grater to create a story of our present through the design, instead of trying to fabricate a history of a past that was never there. The lake is contemporary, and deserves great contemporary building that represent how great of an idea it was to create it.

Amen to all of this!

Buildings should reflect their time and place and to some degree their creator. That way when we look back on them 50 years hence, they tell us something about that time and place in history. Building faux historic buildings is what Disneyland is for.

Jjs5056
May 31, 2013, 6:06 AM
We can be thankful that HF didn't extend all that way. I think that the extent of its current project is a good enough size. Hopefully they fill up their two empty lots soon. I really would like to see the proposal of the hotel back, but I'd be happy with either offices or residential as well.

Regarding Hayden Ferry
Happy to see someone agree with me that HFL is fine contained as is. And, glad you mentioned the remaining two pads- I honestly wish they'd sell them off. I know I have been called overly critical, but the whole development has failed at connecting the life of downtown to the lake. Additionally, not only does it fail to address Rio Salado AT ALL, it turns a giant, massive parking structure toward two of this city's iconic landmarks: the mill and butte.

Maybe someone else could try to develop a gateway building at the Mill/Rio intersection. This building, at the very least, should address the corner, which the third building rendering does not. An expansive lobby with floor to ceiling windows exposing the views of the site (since honestly I still have no idea where anything would be) with a coffee stand, newsstand, food trucks and large suspended art depicting the lake's transformation would give visitors a reason to come over, check it out and then lead on out and enjoy the retail and outdoor amenities. I do think a hotel would be best for the other pad, though, with residential an alternative. With ASU moving forward with the stadium district, you'd think at least one hotelier would be interested in offering it's 4-star brand and be the only hotel of that class downtown, and only hotel on the lake. That development needs as many 24/7 visitors as possible to liven it up so I'd be disappointed in office. This pad is also the only chance at finally addressing Rio- would it make sense at that point given it would essentially be a standalone retail store? Sigh.

Regarding More Variety of Architecture in Tempe
Now, to address your other points. For starters, I am not an architect, an urban planner, a city planner... Heck, I work in marketing. But, I have a passion for how cities are designed and look from an aesthetic standpoint, and for how the uses come together from an analytical standpoint. There will be many times I use a word or two wrong, but I am educated and have taste. While I appreciated your message, I was slightly insulted for a couple of reasons:

Looking back, maybe I could have said simple, or different, or heck there are probably plenty modern or contemporary designs that would work instead of traditional; regardless, we were having a conversation about adding sails to buildings in the area- at that point, very little would be considered non-traditional in comparison to sail-ship inspired highrises. And, that is where you looked passed my point, which was that in an area that is currently filled with a sea of blue-glass contemporary buildings, modern/totally unique structures like TCA or that space-inspired Marriott, and we prepare for future sail-like structures (assumably blue-glass), I was just saying that it would be nice to mix in one or two midrises that fill in this popular view of downtown and the skyline and provide contrast and variety. And, a traditional type of structure was the easiest type providing that contrast.

Did I want to recreate a faux historic Victorian home? No. And, that is a very simplistic take definition of traditional. A rough idea would be a 12-story rectangular midrise on the W6 parking lot would have its first two floors (retail, gym, leasing office, etc.) covered in a light Arizona limestone; the next ten would use a lot of light gray glass trimmed in a walnut-stained desert ironwood to contrast the limestone. Outside would be desert landscaping. In totality, the entire structure would be traditional (in its formal block of uses and shape, use of local materials, native colors), fill in gaps within the skyline, create variety, and contrast the more contemporary structures that currently dominate the foreground. I would never, ever advocate for faux or cheap materials/structures. I love all forms of architecture and love when we get to see development in Tempe, Phoenix, etc. that takes a risk on innovative design.

What I asked for was a response to a very specific situation: that a traditional structure or two be added to create contrast and provide a backdrop for the more unique structures in the foreground of a view of the city that can only capture a handful of structures, many of which are very similar. Additionally, this was all a theoretical discussion. If I thought a low rise built of all brick would look best, there's nothing wrong with that. That's the architects and project managers who need to deal with the cost of their projects, not the dreamers on here. And, if I think an all-brick building would look great in one place, that doesn't mean I am against modern, contemporary, or any other form of design. In fact, my main point was wanting variety.

:) I hope that helps explain what I was imagining a bit better.

TempeSilverFox
May 31, 2013, 1:42 PM
Hi guys,
I snapped some pictures over this weekend around downtown Tempe and wanted to share. The first couple are of the Architekton expansion right at Fifth and Farmer. I love their style to begin with (TCA, Tempe Transit Center etc.) and I can't wait to see what their building looks like when its done!
Then you'll see some pics of The Hub- but what caught my eye was the ground floor retail is now very noticeable and looking pretty good!
Last you'll see Block 12 under construction. It's moving pretty fast!

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG2305_zpsbdbcfd95.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG2306_zps6b3c379c.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG2309_zps13e7b2c9.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG2310_zps55d27df0.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG2311_zps172295ce.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG2312_zps4414c034.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG2313_zps6c0aee19.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG2316_zps22a455db.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG2314_zps72ddb83a.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG2308_zpsd3e47741.jpg

PHX31
May 31, 2013, 1:56 PM
Wow, block 12 is moving fast. .. ill be excited to see the progress by the time asu football season rolls around.

cygnusloop99
Jun 1, 2013, 3:49 AM
I found a FB page for the Farmer Studios II that has renderings and construction updates.
http://www.facebook.com/FarmerStudiosII

Also, block 12 appears to be half way up with structure, it's only supposed to be five or six floors.