PDA

View Full Version : Tempe Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117

ASU Diablo
Nov 17, 2016, 5:21 PM
More great news in Tempe!!

So USA Place may be dead but the Omni Hotel component is not. Wonder if convention center space will also be included?? Also, ASU Surplus Property Land being sold. More housing?

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2016/11/17/headline-asu-plans-72m-greek-housing-development.html

Also at today's ABOR meeting, ASU executives will ask the board for authorization to enter into agreements to ground lease and develop 1.6 acres at the southeast corner of Mill Avenue and University Drive to Omni Hotels Corp.

Omni would develop a hotel and has a $19.5 million option to buy the land at the end of the ground lease term, of ABOR officials approve this request.

muertecaza
Nov 17, 2016, 5:52 PM
More great news in Tempe!!

So USA Place may be dead but the Omni Hotel component is not. Wonder if convention center space will also be included?? Also, ASU Surplus Property Land being sold. More housing?

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2016/11/17/headline-asu-plans-72m-greek-housing-development.html

Very interesting developments. I wonder whether movement with Omni has anything to do with the 7th St. Mixed Use hotel kicking into gear.

Here is the plan from the ABOR documents:

http://i.imgur.com/P5LSd9Ph.png

So the hotel would be on the corner, and the senior living tower would be next to it along University, with a parking garage behind. Omni hotel says it will be 330 rooms on 1.6 acres, with a 30,000 sq. ft. conference center. I believe the original plans were 13-stories, which sounds right.

ASU Diablo
Nov 17, 2016, 6:09 PM
Very interesting developments. I wonder whether movement with Omni has anything to do with the 7th St. Mixed Use hotel kicking into gear.

Here is the plan from the ABOR documents:

http://i.imgur.com/P5LSd9Ph.png

So the hotel would be on the corner, and the senior living tower would be next to it along University, with a parking garage behind. Omni hotel says it will be 330 rooms on 1.6 acres, with a 30,000 sq. ft. conference center. I believe the original plans were 13-stories, which sounds right.

3 towers all going up within a block from each other. Pretty awesome :tup:

ciweiss
Nov 19, 2016, 10:06 PM
I just got a flyer for a downtown Tempe news site. Hopefully it will carry news on Tempe development. Www.dtnews.us and then you have to select Downtown tempe. Anyway, they have a new video or different version of the Hayden flour mill concept. Pretty cool if it ever happened.

http://www.mylocalnews.us/dt/2016/09/19/super-cool-video-of-tempe-hayden-flour-mill-redevelopment-plans/

muertecaza
Nov 21, 2016, 6:14 PM
More reporting on plans for Aura Watermark:

https://brewaz.com/hot-news/phase-one-of-watermark-tempe-to-include-100-million-of-spec-office-and-retail/

Tempe – Fenix Development Inc. in Los Angeles, Calif. (David Norouzi, principal) plans to develop a 240,000-square-foot office building, 43,000 sq. ft. of retail space and 1,400 parking stalls in the first phase of the Watermark | Tempe mixed-use project in Tempe. The 14.84-acre site for the live, work and play development is located along the north side of Tempe Town Lake west of Scottsdale Road and just south of the 202 Freeway...

The mixed-use development, which is expected to be developed in three phases, has been designed to include 600,000 sq. ft. of office space in two buildings, 990 residential units, a boutique hotel with 150 to 200 rooms, 43,000 sq. ft. of retail space and multiple parking structures. Construction on phase one is set to start in March 2017, with opening expected by the end of the summer 2018...

Representatives of Fenix Development declined to identify the source, but say financing is in place for the initial phase of the spec office and retail development.

Nelsen Partners is also designing the office, retail and parking structures. Okland Construction in Tempe is the contractor. Plans show 240,000 sq. ft. of office space in eight floors on top of seven levels of podium parking and 20,000 sq. ft. of ground level retail. That building will be connected via a sky bridge 79 feet in the air to another structure that will have seven levels of parking on top of 23,000 sq. ft. of ground level retail space...

In August, BREW reported Trinsic Residential Group in Dallas, Tex. planning to develop a luxury apartment project called Aura at Watermark. That 352-unit complex is being built on a 4-acre parcel that the multi-family developer is buying in a nearly $15 million sale scheduled to close by Feb. 28. The construction timetable for that seven-story building is expected to parallel the first phase commercial portion.

Phase two of the mixed-use project is targeted for a 360,000-square-foot office tower. That structure has one level of below grade parking, seven levels of podium parking and 12 stories of office space. A third phase encompassing a 3-acre parcel at the back end of the Watermark | Tempe property could be developed as a 600 + residential condominiums or another office tower. Those plans will be determined based on demand...

Obadno
Nov 21, 2016, 6:35 PM

https://brewaz.com/hot-news/phase-one-of-watermark-tempe-to-include-100-million-of-spec-office-and-retail/

So looking up this project I came upon this:uhh:

http://ktgy.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/University-Mixed-Use-1.pdf

What is this? It just says "university mixed-use" I cant figure out where this is. I want to say that it is the parking lot facing ash, with third street on the north side and 5th street on the south side.

Phxguy
Nov 21, 2016, 6:56 PM

What is this? It just says "university mixed-use" I cant figure out where this is. I want to say that it is the parking lot facing ash, with third street on the north side and 5th street on the south side.

I would agree with the location. I'm more intrigued about the grocery aspect since the Whole Foods project fell off the face of the Earth.

muertecaza
Nov 21, 2016, 6:58 PM

Interesting find! I think you're right on the location--if you look at the aerial, it shows the light rail on the left-hand side, along 3rd St. I remember like a year or so ago there was an FAA obstruction evaluation for towers on the site, but I never saw renderings or anything else. That was right around the same time Bob Parsons bought the land. Wonder whether those development plans are his, or the previous owner.

muertecaza
Nov 21, 2016, 8:20 PM
Fence going up for 7th Street Mixed Use.

http://i.imgur.com/qJP08d1h.jpg

PHXFlyer11
Nov 21, 2016, 8:31 PM
Interesting find! I think you're right on the location--if you look at the aerial, it shows the light rail on the left-hand side, along 3rd St. I remember like a year or so ago there was an FAA obstruction evaluation for towers on the site, but I never saw renderings or anything else. That was right around the same time Bob Parsons bought the land. Wonder whether those development plans are his, or the previous owner.

Pretty sure this is the parking lot behind Hayden Square. Anyone see a date on this? Not sure if it's old...

RichTempe
Nov 22, 2016, 1:47 AM

Although these parcels seem to be slightly to the south of the high tension power lines, I hope this development would necessitate their removal/burying (at least in that section). From the sound of it, the heights of the buildings would be taller than the lines are. Even if they aren't right under their path, I doubt that anyone wants a view of power poles and cables right outside the window of new prime office space. Anyway, fingers crossed! :fingerscrossed:

alexico
Nov 22, 2016, 3:41 AM
makes me want to move back to downtown tempe again! i left in 2014 and everytime i go back it gets better (currently on 24th and camelback) love this area but a bit quiet at times

Spitfiredude
Nov 22, 2016, 4:21 AM
^^^ I also left recently (2015). If this stuff is all developed and I am still in the valley, I will definitely purchase one of those high rise condos. The development is about to hit another tipping point. Is the development being fenced off on the University Square lot? I also used to live in the Biltmore/Camelback area. I loved that area too and its also becoming better with more development. Wish they would build a couple high/mid rise apartments out there. More and more options in the valley.

muertecaza
Nov 22, 2016, 7:07 PM
^^^ I also left recently (2015). If this stuff is all developed and I am still in the valley, I will definitely purchase one of those high rise condos. The development is about to hit another tipping point. Is the development being fenced off on the University Square lot? I also used to live in the Biltmore/Camelback area. I loved that area too and its also becoming better with more development. Wish they would build a couple high/mid rise apartments out there. More and more options in the valley.

Yessir, the former University Square lot is the one fenced off.

muertecaza
Nov 23, 2016, 4:15 PM
Tempe keeping that momentum going. 707 S. Forest is taking another crack at it. They've got a big red sign at 7th/Forest for a 27 (!) story tower, roughly 300 feet, on just .5 acres. Ground floor commercial, below and above grade parking, 320 units for density of 644 du/ac. Proposal is also for less than 1 parking space per bed, which I like. Sorry the picture is shit, it was taken from a car.

http://i.imgur.com/Ym9QVI0h.jpg

exit2lef
Nov 23, 2016, 4:58 PM
^ Have the current tenants there, like the teriyaki place, vacated yet?

Phxguy
Nov 23, 2016, 6:26 PM
Don't mean to come off as a pessimist, but how many buildings in the last development explosion were actually built? Always so many ideas (I'm still holding out on 100 Mill) and we always get maybe one or two new buildings out of the dozens proposed.

Don't get me wrong, I want this to happen but I'm not invested. The 7S project is a total surprise but after the USA basketball failure, I'm still wary.

On a development note, what's being built on Rural and Terrace? The Southeast corner where the Midfirst Bank used to be?

Obadno
Nov 23, 2016, 7:35 PM
Don't mean to come off as a pessimist, but how many buildings in the last development explosion were actually built? Always so many ideas (I'm still holding out on 100 Mill) and we always get maybe one or two new buildings out of the dozens proposed.

Don't get me wrong, I want this to happen but I'm not invested. The 7S project is a total surprise but after the USA basketball failure, I'm still wary.

On a development note, what's being built on Rural and Terrace? The Southeast corner where the Midfirst Bank used to be?

We've been in a solid ongoing boom for Phoenix for a good 3-4 years now, and I don't see any major economic troubles in the near term. I think now that the elections are done you'll see more companies start making moves with the uncertainty settled.:shrug:

muertecaza
Nov 23, 2016, 8:30 PM

Personally I'm not holding my breath on any of the more ambitious projects. I think we've seen that the 5 floor apartment buildings can get built--Velo, Salt, Broadstone Lakeside, Motley, University Village 2, the Senior housing at Apache/101 are all under construction or just finishing. Alta Tempe just sold for like 250k a door, so that type seems to be successful.

With the bigger ones--the Whole Foods, 100 Mill, Aura Watermark, Farmer Arts, 7S, the Pier etc. seems like it will be a slow burn at best. Which makes sense i guess, since they're more complicated projects. But it's encouraging that 1000 Apache and now 7S can still get built.

Rural/Terrace is part of ASUs new Greek housing i believe.

PHXFlyer11
Nov 23, 2016, 8:48 PM
Personally I'm not holding my breath on any of the more ambitious projects. I think we've seen that the 5 floor apartment buildings can get built--Velo, Salt, Broadstone Lakeside, Motley, University Village 2, the Senior housing at Apache/101 are all under construction or just finishing. Alta Tempe just sold for like 250k a door, so that type seems to be successful.

With the bigger ones--the Whole Foods, 100 Mill, Aura Watermark, Farmer Arts, 7S, the Pier etc. seems like it will be a slow burn at best. Which makes sense i guess, since they're more complicated projects. But it's encouraging that 1000 Apache and now 7S can still get built.

Rural/Terrace is part of ASUs new Greek housing i believe.

I think The Pier happens if the Yotes arena happens.

Jjs5056
Nov 24, 2016, 7:28 AM
Tempe has built far fewer projects than Phoenix and its list of dead projects is more extensive.

7S, Omni Hotel, and the very pieinthesky possibility of towers on the HaydenCondo parking lot would be a huge deal.

If at least the first two get built, downtown will have highend hotel options and its first market rate apartment towers. Nice that 707 Forest is higher, but would feel better about the Vue v2 if the St Newmans project was built but with market rate housing. Bringing nonstudents onto College will really integrate it into downtown.

The Omni is a great surprise and a huge brand to have. Too bad the suburban design model was allowed so close to downtown south of University so it will be on the literal edge. Still think the senior housing is a better fit downtown than here. But, the Omni does not contain enough space for competitive convention proposals. So, ASU and Tempe are likely looping that into the Stadium District.

muertecaza
Nov 28, 2016, 8:33 PM
More Stadium news: as some may or may not know, Phoenix has a 3rd-tier professional soccer team--Arizona United SC (formerly Phoenix FC). The team announced today a second rebrand in as many years, and will now be known as Phoenix Rising FC. They also announced that they plan to build a soccer-specific stadium on the Salt River Pima Maricopa Indian Community land at McClintock/202 formerly rumored to be a site for the Coyotes' stadium. Their press release says they want to be playing at the stadium by next year.

http://cdn3.sportngin.com/attachments/photo/7405/3203/StadiumAnnouncement_large_large.jpg

http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/727456?referrer_id=2364194-news-archive

TAMPA, Fla. – Arizona United SC unveiled its rebranding Monday with the announcement of a name change, Phoenix Rising FC...

Phoenix Rising FC, in collaboration with the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community (SRPMIC) and the Solanna Group, also introduced its plans to develop a 15.8-acre soccer-specific training and stadium facility at McClintock and the 202 Freeway bordering the cities of Tempe and Scottsdale. The club plans to kick off the 2017 soccer season at the new Phoenix Rising FC soccer complex.

“We are thrilled to announce this new era for professional soccer in Arizona,” said Phoenix Rising FC Governor Berke Bakay. “These planned investments should serve as proof that we are serious about creating a successful soccer franchise in our state. We seek to prove that the Valley of the Sun can deliver a successful United Soccer League team and eventually compete at the highest levels of soccer.”

“We’re quite impressed by Phoenix Rising FC’s grasp of the goal we are trying to achieve at Akimel 7 for a quality sports and entertainment environment,” said David Fordon, CEO and General Manager of the Solanna Group LLC. “We also appreciate the club’s commitment to bring a state-of-the-art, FIFA stadium designed for Arizona’s climate to Salt River as a significant contribution to the economic growth of the Community. We’re happy for the Valley and thrilled by the zeal and excitement that professional soccer will bring to all the passionate fans for the sport that are eager for top fight competition and international exhibitions. We very much welcome the addition of Phoenix Rising FC to our community...”

They seem to be signaling that the eventual goal is MLS expansion. My understanding is that one of the big things MLS looks for in expansion franchises is a soccer-specific stadium, so this could be a big step toward that. No information that I've seen re: financing, but it seems possible that between the Indian Community, Solanna, and the fact that this is likely to be a less expensive undertaking than the Coyotes' proposal, they may not face the financing hurdles faced by the Coyotes.

EDIT: Apparently, the stadium will be a 5,000-seater "pop-up" stadium (not sure exactly how that works, but that's about all Phoenix soccer draws right now anyway), but will have capacity for expansion. https://twitter.com/brahmresnik/status/803324828107214848

ASU Diablo
Nov 28, 2016, 8:42 PM
Wow pretty great news. As for the site, I'm guessing the old Scottsdale Drive-In? Hopefully this one happens as well without public financing. So N of the 202 will be this stadium and S of it will be the Yotes/ASU arena if it moves forward? Sounds pretty awesome if both come to fruition.

exit2lef
Nov 28, 2016, 9:40 PM
^It's refreshing to see a professional sports franchise change its name from "Arizona" to "Phoenix." With the Coyotes and the Cardinals, the trend was in the opposite direction. It's a little surprising when paired with a stadium location outside Phoenix city limits, but it's still progress.

dtnphx
Nov 28, 2016, 11:10 PM
It makes sense also for the fact that a "rising Phoenix from the ashes" lore makes Phoenix Rising more apt than Arizona Rising.

PHXFlyer11
Nov 28, 2016, 11:29 PM
Includes the first two buildings of Watermark (high not specified) as well as a project called Skyview which would be 24-stories located at 903 South Terrace Road.

muertecaza
Nov 29, 2016, 12:19 AM
Includes the first two buildings of Watermark (high not specified) as well as a project called Skyview which would be 24-stories located at 903 South Terrace Road.

Nice. The red sign for Skyview has been up a long time. Hopefully they've been addressing concerns before bringing it to the DRC. I see that there is also another 200 unit, 5-story apartment building proposed along Apache at the 101. At this rate, that whole light rail corridor could soon be 4-5 story apartment buildings, which I think would be pretty great.

Phxguy
Nov 29, 2016, 12:58 AM
Nice. The red sign for Skyview has been up a long time. Hopefully they've been addressing concerns before bringing it to the DRC. I see that there is also another 200 unit, 5-story apartment building proposed along Apache at the 101. At this rate, that whole light rail corridor could soon be 4-5 story apartment buildings, which I think would be pretty great.

That specific lot at 903 S Terrace is dirt and is surrounded by chain link fence, used to be where a Midfirst Bank was. Wonder when construction will commence. That intersection is all construction, right now, it's actually quite amazing. And 24 stories is distinct! The Rise on Apache will be the tallest thing built in Tempe since Univerity House phase 2. Not the ideal location in my opinion but I'm can't complain about the increasing urbanity of our state's most densely populated city.

Anyone who hasn't taken a drive along Apache recently should do so, it is remarkable the difference a few years can make.

RichTempe
Nov 29, 2016, 2:47 AM

This City of Tempe Development Projects document from this month shows max height for Aura Watermark to be 281'. Last section under "in review for planning entitlements".

https://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=38886

Is that correct? Seems taller than what the renderings would suggest. Thought it was supposed to be 10 - 12 stories. Or is that the maximum height the site would allow, not what the developer is seeking?

muertecaza
Nov 29, 2016, 9:06 PM
This City of Tempe Development Projects document from this month shows max height for Aura Watermark to be 281'. Last section under "in review for planning entitlements".

Is that correct? Seems taller than what the renderings would suggest. Thought it was supposed to be 10 - 12 stories. Or is that the maximum height the site would allow, not what the developer is seeking?

The 281' should be the maximum height for actual proposed buildings. I think the renderings show the 1st phase, which has a shorter office component. I believe the 2nd phase is supposed to have a 12ish story office building on top of 7 stories of parking podium. I could see that set up reaching 281'.

Also, they are tearing up trees and parking lot on the 7S site--will be exciting to watch that one progress.

TempeSilverFox
Dec 3, 2016, 8:26 PM
Hey there! This article is back from September - but I don't recall seeing anything about it on here? Maybe I just missed it? Anyways- Tempe is (was?) in negotiations to develop an 18 acre biomedical campus - just west of Tempe Center for the Arts! A mix of 5 - 8 story buildings, space for artists and a possible incubator and accelerator space as well!
At build out it would employ up to 4,000 people! WOW!

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/blog/health-care-daily/2016/09/tempe-begins-negotations-with-development-team-on.html

The pictures look pretty cool!

RichTempe
Dec 4, 2016, 2:05 AM
Hey there! This article is back from September - but I don't recall seeing anything about it on here? Maybe I just missed it? Anyways- Tempe is (was?) in negotiations to develop an 18 acre biomedical campus - just west of Tempe Center for the Arts! A mix of 5 - 8 story buildings, space for artists and a possible incubator and accelerator space as well!

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/blog/health-care-daily/2016/09/tempe-begins-negotations-with-development-team-on.html

There are a few postings in this thread starting back in August. The one below from muertecaza is the 1st I believe.

Tempe Biomedical and Technology Campus gets City Council nod to proceed (http://www.tempe.gov/Home/Components/News/News/6574/31?backlist=%2f)

http://i.imgur.com/PYI2LRO.jpg

exit2lef
Dec 4, 2016, 1:43 PM

Definitely much better than the surface parking and vacant land currently at that site. Currently, some of that space is used for overflow parking during major events at Tempe Center for the Arts and Tempe Beach Park. I hope whatever parking garage is built for the campus will be available for event use nights and weekends. Even better, I'd love to see the Tempe Streetcar rerouted to run east-west along Rio Salado from Priest to Dobson instead of looping around Mill Avenue and ASU.

muertecaza
Dec 5, 2016, 8:10 PM
They've got a crane set up at the mill, and it looks like they're getting ready to remove the tubing that connects the two buildings. I believe the plan is to demo the wooden structures on the backside of the smaller building as well.

Obadno
Dec 5, 2016, 8:16 PM
They've got a crane set up at the mill, and it looks like they're getting ready to remove the tubing that connects the two buildings. I believe the plan is to demo the wooden structures on the backside of the smaller building as well.

Is the Mill renovation going forward? that would be awesome!

PHXFlyer11
Dec 5, 2016, 8:31 PM

This would be so huge with 7th St Mixed starting and the two tower projects on this month's DRC! If 100 Mill would ever move we'd have another nice boom!

muertecaza
Dec 5, 2016, 8:36 PM

Here is a POS picture through a window.

http://i.imgur.com/BXaA4Ruh.jpg

I believe at this point the city has approved and signed a development agreement with Baum Development. The City removed power lines on site this summer, and I believe it was part of the agreement that the City would pay for removing the wooden structure. Then at least things will be set up for Baum to start the redevelopment. Doesn't necessarily mean it will happen I guess, but at least it gives them every opportunity.

Also, in looking for information, I saw this site, which lets you take some cool 3D tours inside the structure.

http://www.haydenflourmilldevelopment.com/

muertecaza
Dec 6, 2016, 11:07 PM
Here are the renderings for the next 4 story apartment box proposed along Apache, "Metro 101."

http://i.imgur.com/Ii5Ej5yh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/X7P8KY8h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/09cBtcah.jpg

Gotta say, this seems like a step down from some of the other proposals we've seen along Apache. Ugly brown, surface parking, etc. I would have hoped for something better that close to the light rail station. But I guess it beats the swath of blighted empty lots that currently surround the light rail stop. And it's one of the few lately that's not trying to call itself "luxury," so perhaps they can fill a different market.

dtnphx
Dec 6, 2016, 11:24 PM
Ugh. 9 out of 10 apartment projects look like this one. Where is their f'ing imagination?!

ASUSunDevil
Dec 6, 2016, 11:34 PM
Ugh. 9 out of 10 apartment projects look like this one. Where is their f'ing imagination?!

Here is a 1 out of 10 - the Aura at Watermark apartments (Rural & the 202)

http://orbarch.com/index.php/mies_portfolio/on-the-boards/

muertecaza
Dec 7, 2016, 12:13 AM
Here is a 1 out of 10 - the Aura at Watermark apartments (Rural & the 202)

http://orbarch.com/index.php/mies_portfolio/on-the-boards/

Nice. And here is the DRC packet for entitlements for Phase 1:

https://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=47126

http://i.imgur.com/WGZGZTNh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/N6teWCOh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aUvdfgph.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xvCbAOdh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7m0qVCth.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/anb1t4Jh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AZjakdSh.jpg

PHXFlyer11
Dec 7, 2016, 2:11 AM
Did you happen to notice that they are submitting a separate application for the very corner part that faces the lake and wraps the new apartments there? This should be interesting as it needs to be amazing but probably can't completely block the view. I'd like to see condos there.

muertecaza
Dec 7, 2016, 4:37 PM
Did you happen to notice that they are submitting a separate application for the very corner part that faces the lake and wraps the new apartments there? This should be interesting as it needs to be amazing but probably can't completely block the view. I'd like to see condos there.

Yeah, it will be interest to see what is proposed there.

Here are the renderings for Skyview, the proposal off Rural between 8th St. and Terrace.

https://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=47134

http://i.imgur.com/NCuflyTh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9Ckbkebh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wthOVkyh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/x06udksh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/TU6uCUch.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bCn5uVWh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/abZ7V2jh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/KDzevJ5h.jpg

Obadno
Dec 7, 2016, 4:49 PM
Yeah, it will be interest to see what is proposed there.

Damn, that thing is ugly :haha: looks like something from the early 80's. Like the height, like the location, but hideous!

ASUSunDevil
Dec 7, 2016, 5:16 PM
Damn, that thing is ugly :haha: looks like something from the early 80's. Like the height, like the location, but hideous!

I think it looks awesome and blends in well with the orange that's all over campus. Check out SCB's other projects:

http://www.scb.com/projects/architecture/

mdpx
Dec 7, 2016, 5:27 PM

Ugly? I think it's great looking.

muertecaza
Dec 7, 2016, 8:51 PM
The "Local" (formerly the "Foundry") (the 9-ish story apartments over Whole Foods planned for Ash/University) is in review for a Building Permit. :cheers:

Assuming this goes forward, if you count everything from Apache going north to the lake, by my count that's over 3,000 new residential units under construction or about to be under construction: Meridian @ 101, Fore McClintock, Motley, 1000 Apache, University Village 2.0, Valor on 8th, Salt, Broadstone Lakeside, 7S, "The Local," Jefferson Town Lake. Some of those are student-oriented, or old-folks oriented, but still, pretty impressive.

muertecaza
Dec 7, 2016, 10:04 PM
Coverage of the Opus 7S development:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/money/real-estate/catherine-reagor/2016/12/07/2-apartment-towers-going-up-next-arizona-state-university-tempe/95101406/

Construction has started on two high-rise apartment towers on a former parking lot next to Arizona State University in downtown Tempe.

The development, yet to be named, will include 20-story and 12-story buildings with a total of 407 apartments on the northwestern corner of University Drive and Forest Avenue...

About 31,000 square feet of space for retail and restaurants will front University Drive in the new apartment development.

Previous plans called for Opus developing a 230-room hotel on the 3-acre Tempe site. The developer said Wednesday the hotel would be developed by a separate group.

The developer updated its design so the buildings are shorter facing University Drive and Seventh Street and then climb in height midblock. The number of apartments has also been scaled back from 450...

Plans call for the apartment towers to share a fifth-floor amenity deck with a swimming pool, barbecue area and outdoor lounges with cabanas.

The development will also have a bike workroom with storage for more than 450 bikes.

The apartments are scheduled to open to renters in the summer of 2018. Rents haven’t been finalized.

PHXFlyer11
Dec 8, 2016, 12:56 AM
Coverage of the Opus 7S development:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/money/real-estate/catherine-reagor/2016/12/07/2-apartment-towers-going-up-next-arizona-state-university-tempe/95101406/

I'm going to make some assumptions here and recall the the hotel was part of Phase 2? If so, then I am assuming they are still talking about the same site when the mention the hotel, just that it will be developed at a later date by another group in a 2nd phase?

Tempejoe
Dec 10, 2016, 4:03 AM
Does anybody know what development is going just to the east of Tempe Marketplace? They are digging a really big hole now.

Obadno
Dec 10, 2016, 9:50 PM
Does anybody know what development is going just to the east of Tempe Marketplace? They are digging a really big hole now.

http://azbex.com/tempe-considering-43-acre-rio-salado-business-park/

Generic office park, 2 hotels and some suburban style office buildings.

Canucklehead
Dec 12, 2016, 3:21 PM
Hearing that 701 S Mill Avenue and 27 East Myrtle Street just closed for a huge number. Anyone have the info?

nickw252
Dec 12, 2016, 6:32 PM
http://azbex.com/tempe-considering-43-acre-rio-salado-business-park/

Generic office park, 2 hotels and some suburban style office buildings.

Thanks I've been wondering the same thing. Any idea if there's renderings available? I did a little googling and couldn't find anything.

Obadno
Dec 12, 2016, 10:19 PM
Thanks I've been wondering the same thing. Any idea if there's renderings available? I did a little googling and couldn't find anything.

I think I stumbled on the pdf it one time, its just 2 story tilt up concrete. very boring.

muertecaza
Dec 12, 2016, 11:31 PM
Hearing that 701 S Mill Avenue and 27 East Myrtle Street just closed for a huge number. Anyone have the info?

No info, but that would be great if true. I know they tried for a long time to get a deal to reassemble the parcels that were split up in the recession, but could never work it out. Should be interesting to see where it goes.

dtnphx
Dec 13, 2016, 7:07 PM

The project is called Rio2100

http://pdf.leeazmail.com/pdfs/Rio2100.pdf

nickw252
Dec 13, 2016, 10:59 PM
The project is called Rio2100

http://pdf.leeazmail.com/pdfs/Rio2100.pdf

Thanks, it's not ideal but it is better than the pile of dirt they had before. It at least looks like there'll be less surface parking then the Tempe Marketplace.

muertecaza
Dec 14, 2016, 6:55 PM
Metro 101 and Skyview passed the DRC last night. I didn't see whether Watermark was discussed/voted on, and if not, why it was pulled. I did see there was some possibility of a legal protest, so maybe they're trying to work that out. Still a couple rubes complaining about height and density for Skyview--it only passed 5-2. Hopefully things go well at City Council.

Urbannizer
Dec 14, 2016, 8:14 PM
Crescent Tempe (http://zieglercooper.com/crescent-tempe/)

Crescent Communities engaged Ziegler Cooper Architects to design a new mixed-use development in Tempe, Arizona. The development will occupy a unique curved lot in the heart of downtown Tempe, with close proximity to Tempe Town Lake, Hayden Butte Preserve Park, and Sun Devil Stadium. The structure consists of two towers, one with Class-A office space and the other with luxury residential units. The towers are joined by a single podium structure with grocery and retail at the base.

http://zieglercooper.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/tempe-web-4-940x626.jpg

http://zieglercooper.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/tempe-web-5-940x626.jpg

http://zieglercooper.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/tempe-web-6-940x626.jpg

http://zieglercooper.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/tempe-web-7-940x626.jpg

http://zieglercooper.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/tempe-web-2-940x626.jpg

http://zieglercooper.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/tempe-web-1-940x626.jpg

muertecaza
Dec 14, 2016, 8:37 PM
Crescent Tempe (http://zieglercooper.com/crescent-tempe/)

Thanks for posting. This appears to be a different proposal than the one from last year-ish that was posted a few pages back for the same lot (http://ktgy.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/University-Mixed-Use-1.pdf). I like this one better--I like the plaza, I like more office space > hotel (especially in light of other hotel proposals), I think the architecture would blend well, and Crescent seems like a good fit here.

If street car on Ash is going to be successful, can't help feeling that a lot is riding on this lot, as the rest of the street is fire station, historic buildings and parking garages.

Also interesting that this is proposing a full size grocery store, given that the University/Ash proposal has its own grocery store and apparently has applied for a building permit. Although if they were to want to build a Fry's or something, I wouldn't be mad.

PHXFlyer11
Dec 15, 2016, 1:29 PM
Thanks for posting. This appears to be a different proposal than the one from last year-ish that was posted a few pages back for the same lot (http://ktgy.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/University-Mixed-Use-1.pdf). I like this one better--I like the plaza, I like more office space > hotel (especially in light of other hotel proposals), I think the architecture would blend well, and Crescent seems like a good fit here.

If street car on Ash is going to be successful, can't help feeling that a lot is riding on this lot, as the rest of the street is fire station, historic buildings and parking garages.

Also interesting that this is proposing a full size grocery store, given that the University/Ash proposal has its own grocery store and apparently has applied for a building permit. Although if they were to want to build a Fry's or something, I wouldn't be mad.

Wow. This is beautiful. Much better than the shit box that was proposed before on the corner of that site. They are smart to get out in front of the street car now.

I'd be thrilled if even 50% of these developments happened now in Tempe. Looks like the next DRC or two will have 2-3 more high-rises proposed, including this one!

I think we see a proposal for the Macayo's site in the next 8 months. Their are closing their midtown store and moving it across the street for a new development. More than that, they are deploying a new, more modern concept. I could see the Tempe location following this same plan and high-rise development happening on that site next. Thoughts?

Phxguy
Dec 15, 2016, 4:53 PM
Agh, this project looks beautiful!!

Sadly, knowing how every well designed project in Phx eventually falls to mediocrity, not holding my breath. I am however intrigued that this project retains the grocery aspect with the nearing possibility of Whole Foods being built down the street. Could 2 grocery stores thrive (in urban PHX) so near each other? Closest grocery to downtown Tempe is the Safeway at Rural and Broadway.

Canucklehead
Dec 15, 2016, 7:49 PM
First Congregation Church sale closed yesterday to a developer

plutonicpanda
Dec 16, 2016, 12:39 AM
Great project!

nickw252
Dec 17, 2016, 6:23 PM
A Chicago developer is proposing a 24-story apartment tower next to Arizona State University’s Tempe campus, according Business & Real Estate Weekly of Arizona.

Golub & Co. wants to build a 393-unit multifamily complex near Rural Road and University Drive, according to BREW.

Golub owns and is trying to sell a downtown block at Monroe and Second streets in downtown Phoenix.

The apartment market has been booming across Phoenix this past year, with a number of new units and complexes coming online in some submarkets including downtown Phoenix with several others in the development pipeline.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2016/12/16/report-24-story-apartment-tower-proposed-near-asu.html

PHXFlyer11
Dec 19, 2016, 6:42 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2016/12/16/report-24-story-apartment-tower-proposed-near-asu.html

This is for Skyview at Terrance and Rural.

PHXFlyer11
Dec 19, 2016, 6:43 PM
So I was really excited to hear this broke ground, but it looks more value-engineered than the original proposal... not so excited anymore.

http://azbex.com/arizona-projects-12-16-16/

muertecaza
Dec 19, 2016, 7:07 PM
So I was really excited to hear this broke ground, but it looks more value-engineered than the original proposal... not so excited anymore.

Agree that the VE is always a risk, but it's worth noting that in the original proposal, all of the renderings are showing the University frontage, where the hotel is planned. As originally proposed, the hotel and 20-story tower were the first phase, and the 12-story residential tower was 2nd phase. Most of the cool architectural flourishes were part of the conference/amenity space for the hotel facing University and aren't shown here.

It now appears that that the plan has changed to 20-story and 12-story residential towers as 1st phase, and hotel as 2nd phase. The rendering in the article is not shown in the original proposal, and shows the project from the other side--the 12-story residential fronting 7th St. 7th St. was always planned to have the walkup residential and retail on the corners. From what I can tell it hasn't changed.

ASUSunDevil
Dec 19, 2016, 7:22 PM

SmithGroupJJR is on board, which means this project will look awesome once it's finished. They're also designing the Tempe Biomedical Campus. :tup:

MegaBass
Dec 21, 2016, 12:59 AM
Old Main and University Club exterior preservation (https://cfo.asu.edu/old-main-and-university-club-exterior-preservation)

Old Main and University Club, two of ASU’s iconic buildings dating back to the turn of the 20th century, are undergoing exterior preservation work that will protect the historic buildings for years to come.

Exterior repairs of the masonry and windows, as well as revisions to the landscape irrigation system to prevent water damage, highlight the key work being done to preserve the buildings.

Old Main, which was originally constructed in 1898 and restored in 2000, will receive specific work to its exterior. Damaged and weathered windows will be repaired along with stonework along the west stairs. Metal cornices and trim will be addressed to remove rust. Exterior cracks in the building walls will also receive attention.

The University Club, constructed in 1909 and just to the east of Old Main, will also be going through similar preservation work during this project. Repair of exterior windows and masonry will help add to the shine of ASU’s historic district.

In addition to building repairs, landscaping work will be done in the area between and around Old Main and the University Club. Overgrown plantings around the buildings will be trimmed or replaced which will provide the following benefits: greater exposure of the building, better views from the windows, reduced moisture adjacent to the foundations, and improved security.

ciweiss
Dec 23, 2016, 3:49 AM
I got an interesting public hearing for an 'amusement business' called Escape Zone. Location is somewhat vague but shows off Mill and 5th. Hearing is jan 3. Pl# 160441. A dave and busters type place would be cool.

Ok. Checking further online it looks nothing like a Dave and Buster

Phxguy
Dec 23, 2016, 8:30 AM
I got an interesting public hearing for an 'amusement business' called Escape Zone. Location is somewhat vague but shows off Mill and 5th. Hearing is jan 3. Pl# 160441. A dave and busters type place would be cool.

Escape Zone sounds like the place where they lock you or a group of people into a themed room and you're given an amount of time to escape it using clues and items.

vwwolfe
Dec 23, 2016, 6:31 PM

Escape Zone is already in business at 414 S Mill. What's the hearing for?

ciweiss
Dec 23, 2016, 7:06 PM
Escape Zone is already in business at 414 S Mill. What's the hearing for?

Good question. It does not say. Maybe an expansion. Does seem strange if they have been there a while. Sounds like a fun place. I hope they make it work.First i've heard of them.

MegaBass
Dec 24, 2016, 2:50 AM
http://mouthbysouthwest.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/MattsTempe122316.jpg

Matt’s Big Breakfast opens in Tempe (http://mouthbysouthwest.com/2016/12/23/matts-big-breakfast-opens-in-tempe-there-are-no-lines-so-far-heres-how-to-find-it/)

While the original location is well-known for its long lines, especially on weekends, the Tempe location has had no lines – and very few customers overall – so far.

The hard part is finding it, since it’s not visible from the street. From Rio Salado Parkway – about halfway between Mill and Rural – turn north into the Marina Heights/State Farm development, then go left at the end of the driveway.

The restaurant, located in Marina building #2, faces north. Look for the bright orange sign (pictured).

The good news is the Tempe location is much larger than the Phoenix original and has a patio. It features the same menu of classic, no-frills dishes.

Hours are 6:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. daily.

ciweiss
Dec 29, 2016, 8:15 PM
http://mouthbysouthwest.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/MattsTempe122316.jpg

Matt’s Big Breakfast opens in Tempe (http://mouthbysouthwest.com/2016/12/23/matts-big-breakfast-opens-in-tempe-there-are-no-lines-so-far-heres-how-to-find-it/)

/\/\

Just went there this morning. That place is awesome. Good food for a good price.

Jjs5056
Jan 1, 2017, 9:55 PM
I think the hotel has been nixed from 7th Street Mixed Use; I am ok with that if the entire thing is now done at once. 7th Street could use the density.

The 5th and Ash proposal is absolutely amazing and what should have been built on lots like Hanover, Ash and Uni, etc. Whoever mentioned the importance of this re: streetcar nailed it. Thanks to the city allowing the expansion of the monstrous garages, this really is the only clear development site aside from the Uni intersection.

The entire area by Macayo's seems very hard to develop. There isn't much left, though, especially since Urban Partners - who own Farmer - are in no rush to develop after the City screwed them on the 13-story residential.

I don't think Tempe can support two grocers, or even one. But, 5th and Ash is much closer to the little bit of non-student residential that has built up along 1st.

---

The Council is consdering ways to discourage R-4 residential. This is , of course, due to the west-end neighborhoods. Their lack of acceptance to an urbanizing city prevented Tempe from a lot of great development. If density west of Ash is limited to 2-family housing, the concept of a 'downtown Tempe' is over. It'll be Mill + Lake. Farmer should be filled with 8-10 story buildings, and then to the west, townhomes built as infill.

Jjs5056
Jan 1, 2017, 10:11 PM
I do hope see one or both of:
a) redevelopment of underutilized sites like Hayden Square, the Garmeier building and ATT/Cox buildings on 5th... I also think the Courtyard at Centerpoint is outdated with streetcar coming. A mixed use condo would be a good use IMO.
b) the City RFP strategic land like PHX does. A conference center and high-rise hotel adjacent to the TCC would be so much better of a use than a jail and city offices. Move those to Southern/Rural if demo of the current City Hall would be fought. My preference would be for a government plaza to replace it, though, with City Hall, a midrise office tower, and maybe residential facing a continuous 6th Street (the pedestrian mall there kills the Brickhouse).

Every city seems to have a telecom building that is a total eyesore (Van Buren/2nd St, for ex); why is this? Is there something about them that prevents a mixed use project of some sort? Both PHX and Tempe's are in great positions but seem unlikely to be touched.

muertecaza
Jan 11, 2017, 5:50 PM
Aura Watermark (north side of the lake, west of Scottsdale) received unanimous approval from the DRC last night. Sounds like there are a lot of moving parts with this one, should be interesting to watch. Transwestern, who built the new 'Vela' apartments to the west, is raising a stink because they think future multi-family will be different than the current PAD, which Transwestern used as a guide when designing their project. This definitely isn't one I'm holding my breath on.

ASUSunDevil
Jan 11, 2017, 6:06 PM
Aura Watermark (north side of the lake, west of Scottsdale) received unanimous approval from the DRC last night. Sounds like there are a lot of moving parts with this one, should be interesting to watch. Transwestern, who built the new 'Vela' apartments to the west, is raising a stink because they think future multi-family will be different than the current PAD, which Transwestern used as a guide when designing their project. This definitely isn't one I'm holding my breath on.

Isn't unanimous approval from the DRC a good thing? They are raising a stink because their project is going to look even cheaper (for a lake development) than it does now once beautiful Watermark goes up.

I think this project breaks ground before summer.

Spitfiredude
Jan 13, 2017, 6:56 PM
They are doing site work at the Aura site on Town Lake. They also have a sign up at the location for leasing. I know it just went through DRC approval, but is it possible that they can do site work without constructing the building? Okland looks to be working on the site and the site is completely fenced off (with logos of Okland) on the site of Aura.

ASUSunDevil
Jan 13, 2017, 7:26 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2017/01/13/developer-plans-high-rise-apartments-near-asu.html

Spitfiredude
Jan 13, 2017, 7:49 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2017/01/13/developer-plans-high-rise-apartments-near-asu.html

F**king great. Another POS high rise developed by Core. They built the biggest POS high rise in downtown Tempe and now they want to build another in what is probably one of the top 5 intersections in all of downtown. Shit :slob::hell:

Obadno
Jan 13, 2017, 8:35 PM
F**king great. Another POS high rise developed by Core. They built the biggest POS high rise in downtown Tempe and now they want to build another in what is probably one of the top 5 intersections in all of downtown. Shit :slob::hell:

http://azbigmedia.com/azre-magazine/purchased-land-near-mill-ave-planned-high-rise-apartments

According to this, the Mill corner is still open so we will have 2 high-rises and hopefully the Mill corner will be something good.

muertecaza
Jan 13, 2017, 8:37 PM

Interesting that they would shell out that much money. The previous proposal got shot down by City Council, in part because it was geared as student-oriented housing and ASU formally protested it. I wonder what they'll have to do to get ASU/City Council on their side. On the plus side, at least the parcels are finally back under common ownership.

muertecaza
Jan 13, 2017, 8:51 PM
Also notable that Wexford, which was the owner of one of the 7th St./Mill parcels, appears to have used the proceeds of the sale of that parcel to purchase the First Congregational Church of Tempe parcel at 101 E. 6th St.

http://wexforddevelopments.com/location/101-east-6th-street/

https://recorder.maricopa.gov/UnOfficialDocs2/pdf/20160922597.pdf

It will be interesting to see what's proposed there. The church isn't exactly historic, but I can see some people being mad about it being knocked down. I wasn't that into Wexford's proposal on 7th/Mill, but I would love for them to pack something tall into that space.

nickw252
Jan 16, 2017, 7:23 PM
What's going on with the Northeast corner of the Vela Apartments lot? I saw today when I was on the 202 that they're doing some sort of prep work.

azsunsurfer
Jan 17, 2017, 5:24 AM
[QUOTE=nickw252;7679856]What's going on with the Northeast corner of the Vela Apartments lot? I saw today when I was on the 202 that they're doing some sort of prep work.[/Q

Just look at the top of the page.....

Phxguy
Jan 17, 2017, 5:28 AM
Looks to be site work where Aura Watermark will be near the Vela apartments.

Also, Jefferson Lake or whatever its name is is a giant pit right now.

https://photos-3.dropbox.com/t/2/AABnerYm263PQAqiN-PGQwTH-t97--98cX0K8ZPFXZYGeQ/12/424923770/jpeg/32x32/1/_/1/2/Photo%20Jan%2014%2C%2013%2010%2030.jpg/ENLc27QDGIQDIAIoAg/SvsqEaUc253X4wESvaTYQP2-esNyq6U7yN_Per4jLf4?size=1280x960&size_mode=3

dtnphx
Jan 17, 2017, 4:18 PM
Purchased land near Mill Ave. planned for high-rise apartments

http://azbigmedia.com/azre-magazine/purchased-land-near-mill-ave-planned-high-rise-apartments

dtnphx
Jan 17, 2017, 4:36 PM
Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash music publisher’s estates look to sell prominent Phoenix land​

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2017/01/13/elvis-presley-johnny-cash-music-publisher-s.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2017-01-13&u=34892844144f674e291dd986763848&t=1484670848&j=77069731

muertecaza
Jan 25, 2017, 5:48 PM
For those that were wondering about the Roosevelt Dam water feature at the Grand, it sounds like you were both right:

http://azbex.com/the-grand-at-papago-park-centers-around-water/

$5M Water Feature to Center the Development

A prominent water feature will be constructed in the heart of the campus. Paying homage to Roosevelt Dam and measuring about the size of a football field, the feature will be a focal point of the project. Valued at approximately $5M, the water feature will sit nine feet below grade, providing a space for community events such as outdoor concerts and the like. Tied into the trail system of nearby Tempe Town Lake, the feature could easily tie into events and races that occur there.

This future opportunity is outside the scope of the development agreement with Lincoln Property Company. Papago Park Inc. is working with JE Dunn as the contractor for the water feature. Currently, the design is in the design development phase. WET Design, based out of Sun Valley, Calif., is tasked with its design.

Per the development agreement, the water feature will coincide opening with the first mid-rise office building abutting the freeway.

azsunsurfer
Jan 28, 2017, 3:37 AM
I was driving on Rural today and saw a zoning notice for the NWC of Rural and University. It's by Catellus who is the master developer for the ASU Athletics District. Since they don't need Tempe's approval I assume it will probably be one of those "good neighbor" presentations. I couldn't read the final totals but I believe they were going to be developing 1-3 midrise office blocks with retail and a garage. If anyone could get a pic of it that would be great!

phoenixwillrise
Jan 28, 2017, 6:29 AM
I was driving on Rural today and saw a zoning notice for the NWC of Rural and University. It's by Catellus who is the master developer for the ASU Athletics District. Since they don't need Tempe's approval I assume it will probably be one of those "good neighbor" presentations. I couldn't read the final totals but I believe they were going to be developing 1-3 midrise office blocks with retail and a garage. If anyone could get a pic of it that would be great!

Isn't that where the University is building new frat houses?

muertecaza
Jan 28, 2017, 4:23 PM

They have a bunch of them around the atheletics district. This is the one I saw off McClintock:

http://i.imgur.com/wKIspKwh.jpg

Is that the same as the one you saw, or was yours different?

Here is the presentation they're giving to Tempe. http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=1233&doctype=AGENDA. It has some good slides showing what the long term plan is.

https://i.imgur.com/Va1G10Yh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/o3GUmxth.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/POWhB1fh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/103DN2Ch.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Mk7pkhSh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KWNCSyfh.jpg

PHXFlyer11
Jan 28, 2017, 10:19 PM
They have a bunch of them around the atheletics district. This is the one I saw off McClintock:

http://i.imgur.com/wKIspKwh.jpg

Is that the same as the one you saw, or was yours different?

Here is the presentation they're giving to Tempe. http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=1233&doctype=AGENDA. It has some good slides showing what the long term plan is.

Wow. This is beautifully planned. Let's hope the execution and high standards laid out are held. I am not sure I'll see this complete in my lifetime, but I do like the smaller individual phases. Can't wait to see the first one break ground.

RichTempe
Jan 28, 2017, 11:53 PM
Isn't that where the University is building new frat houses?

I believe the University is planning to build housing for the Greek system on the SEC of Rural and Terrace where the Cholla dorms used to be. There is a post in this thread somewhere that has renderings of what is proposed.

Edit: Here's a link: http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2016/11/17/headline-asu-plans-72m-greek-housing-development.html

PHXFlyer11
Jan 29, 2017, 11:24 AM
What is also interesting to me is that almost nothing in the Athletic District is athletic related, other than existing facilities.

I realize these are more guidelines than anything and the blocks aren't going to be built as designed, but I am surprised there is no mention of recruiting athletic-related business, museums, etc. There are also no athletic amenities mentioned such a gyms, pools, sand volleyball on the beach, etc.

Finally, and most surprising there is nothing showing where a new Coyotes and ASU basketball facility might be build. Granted both are speculative at this point.

MegaBass
Jan 30, 2017, 7:03 PM
What is also interesting to me is that almost nothing in the Athletic District is athletic related, other than existing facilities.

I realize these are more guidelines than anything and the blocks aren't going to be built as designed, but I am surprised there is no mention of recruiting athletic-related business, museums, etc. There are also no athletic amenities mentioned such a gyms, pools, sand volleyball on the beach, etc.

Finally, and most surprising there is nothing showing where a new Coyotes and ASU basketball facility might be build. Granted both are speculative at this point.

I would imagine Intercollegiate Tennis Association new HQ would be part of it. Far as for sand volleyball on the beach, doesn't Athletics have a lease with PERA Club?

ASU Diablo
Jan 30, 2017, 7:07 PM

With the recently announced ASU 2020 Fundraising Campaign, it mentions creation of a new Olympic Village in the heart of the Athletics District.

As far as ASU Basketball is concerned, my money is still on that WFA gets renovated or gets demo'ed and new arena built in its place. Its a prime location and having it located next to reinvented SDS is great.

Edit: Link to AZ Central article: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-education/2017/01/27/arizona-state-university-final-push-fundraising-campaign/97090648/

"An Olympic Village on the east side of Rural Road with facilities for tennis, softball, track and field, soccer, lacrosse, wrestling, gymnastics and volleyball."