PDA

View Full Version : Tempe Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117

Jjs5056
Mar 18, 2015, 4:36 AM
Interesting blog post I noticed today about State Farm:

http://t4america.org/2015/03/16/state-farm-is-moving-to-concentrate-thousands-of-employees-in-locations-near-transit/

Apparently, the Tempe location is part of an overall strategy of locating near rail transit. The same criterion is being used for offices in Atlanta and Dallas. There is a reader comment at the bottom of the post, however, that makes an important point: If the parking is free or ridiculously cheap, the incentive to walk half a mile to the Mill Ave / 3rd St. station may not be all that strong.

I am sure the fact that Tempe is building a streetcar for almost the sole purpose of making that walk less oppressive for workers of this development was also taken into consideration.

Reality is that aside from a few places like The Lofts at Rio Salado, Hanover, Grigio Metro, SALT, CityScape and a few others, there really aren't even that many residential TOD choices for workers to live in and take advantage of a car-free commuting lifestyle. Most residential options would require using park-and-rides, and at that point, with the free/heavily subsidized garages, why not just drive when they're already have to in order to shop for almost all basic needs/essentials and a lot of their entertainment?

Yet another reason the Priest/Washington plans are a disappointment. Being just 2 stops from downtown Tempe, it would be the perfect central location for residential catered to the abundance of new workers who will be commuting to the Mill area once Marina Heights, HFL3 and Mill+Rio all open. Aside from The Lofts, there are almost no options in that part of the light rail route, which is a much more attractive and convenient location than the surplus of housing east of Rural, with its closer proximity to downtown Phoenix, airport, etc.

PHXFlyer11
Mar 18, 2015, 12:55 PM
Been waiting awhile to see this: http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=31783

Overall it's okay. I am a huge fan of the density, but the buildings do not look modern to me with so little glass and those small square windows.

What's interesting is that this is indeed 2 phases, but both towers are included in phase 1. Phase 2 is simply the restoration of Hayden House.

TempeSilverFox
Mar 18, 2015, 1:36 PM
Been waiting awhile to see this: http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=31783

Overall it's okay. I am a huge fan of the density, but the buildings do not look modern to me with so little glass and those small square windows.

What's interesting is that this is indeed 2 phases, but both towers are included in phase 1. Phase 2 is simply the restoration of Hayden House.

I just took a look at the renderings and I think there is a lot more glass than you think. If you look at Attachment 48 (page 48) of the docs, it appears that there is a healthy amount of glass accompanying the metal and concrete portions of each building.
I think they will look good there- and will pair nicely with the US Airways and Allstate buildings that are already there. At any rate- it's so exciting to see this project on its way!!! :)

Jjs5056
Mar 18, 2015, 4:49 PM
I like the project... I think a Palomar is a good fit for the Mill Ave area, that office space makes sense in the market, and that having ground level uses wrapping this intersection will go a long way toward activating downtown from the lake - University. I also like the planned pedestrian pathway through the project to connect the lake to the light rail station.

The design is a bit boring and looks like a modernized version of the Gateway building, but I guess that design consistency in the area isn't so terrible. I would have liked to see a bit more height in the office tower... only floors 7-15 are office space, and given the demand, you'd think they could have pushed the height a bit further. Aesthetically, it would've looked better to have the two towers be alternating heights IMO, instead of having both top out at 15 floors.

I also wish that the Hayden House was being incorporated into the first phase, as leaving the space vacant will leave a pretty big hole in the streetscape for at least 3+ years.

Overall, it's a great addition.

rocksteady
Mar 19, 2015, 10:20 PM
I hate the lack of height compared to some of the previous renderings and projects for that spot, but overall it's a great addition. Looking at their other projects in other cities listed at the bottom makes me wish for some of those designs instead of what's proposed. Kinda drab in comparison.

PHXFlyer11
Mar 20, 2015, 2:11 PM
I hate the lack of height compared to some of the previous renderings and projects for that spot, but overall it's a great addition. Looking at their other projects in other cities listed at the bottom makes me wish for some of those designs instead of what's proposed. Kinda drab in comparison.

I think the height is ok. Remember even though the lot had been approved for taller buildings in the past, FAA scrutiny has increased since 2007 and i highly doubt theyd be able to go much higher than 15 stories.

Also, has anyone heard anything about the proposed Jefferson next to Northshore? I know there was a hearing in December with opposition from the HOA, but i never heard the result of that hearing reported.

Jjs5056
Mar 20, 2015, 3:57 PM
I think the height is ok. Remember even though the lot had been approved for taller buildings in the past, FAA scrutiny has increased since 2007 and i highly doubt theyd be able to go much higher than 15 stories.

Also, has anyone heard anything about the proposed Jefferson next to Northshore? I know there was a hearing in December with opposition from the HOA, but i never heard the result of that hearing reported.

I think that since the PAD was approved for 257 (or 297?) feet, that they were entitled to build up to that height. I don't think it would be legal for the FAA to come in now and change their stance, devaluing the land, and so forth... I could be 100% wrong there.

I think the originally planned heights were way too overwhelming for that intersection and would have created a massive wall. This project is much closer to the correct scale for the area... I just wish the office building was a BIT taller (maybe 20 stories as opposed to 15) to create delineation on the skyline.

Haven't heard anything re: Jefferson, but I think the only thing that was going to change (if anything) was the parking circulation.

PHXFlyer11
Mar 20, 2015, 4:42 PM
I think that since the PAD was approved for 257 (or 297?) feet, that they were entitled to build up to that height. I don't think it would be legal for the FAA to come in now and change their stance, devaluing the land, and so forth... I could be 100% wrong there.

I think the originally planned heights were way too overwhelming for that intersection and would have created a massive wall. This project is much closer to the correct scale for the area... I just wish the office building was a BIT taller (maybe 20 stories as opposed to 15) to create delineation on the skyline.

Haven't heard anything re: Jefferson, but I think the only thing that was going to change (if anything) was the parking circulation.

Remember though that the FAA has recently tightened it's stance and Phoenix and Tempe were very upset. I find it hard to believe that they would allow 300' there now being so close to the flight path and end of the runway. Remember the south runway's flight path takes it basically right over the lake or even more south than than.

I think this will be a nice addition. Good to see more tower cranes soon in Tempe with other projects nearing completion. I agree though, we do need 3-4 more 18-24 story towers. Hopefully the Ash and 5th project speeds up its timeframe. Anxious to see the project SilverFox mentioned too the other week.

I think we should also hear something soon on new proposals for USAplace. Granted, without US Basketball.

ASUSunDevil
Mar 24, 2015, 10:50 PM
Lot of dirt being moved around at the AC by Marriott site today.

Here's a refresher: http://azbex.com/ac-by-marriott-tempe-plans-159-room-tempe-lakefront-hotel/

PHXFlyer11
Mar 24, 2015, 11:08 PM

Here's a refresher: http://azbex.com/ac-by-marriott-tempe-plans-159-room-tempe-lakefront-hotel/

YES!!! The entire lakefront will be filled from Mill to University, well almost...

I can't wait to see what happens with the last remaining parcel that is currently the construction offices for Marina Heights. I think the City/ASU will RFQ that out.

The density there is going to be awesome. And when the Mill renovation with hotel, restaurant and ampethere are done there will be a little action on the south side of rio salado for the first time.

Spitfiredude
Mar 25, 2015, 5:03 AM

SWEEEEET! I was going to drive by tomorrow to take a look if work started.
Between the AC Marriott, Mill/Rio, Hayden Mill, SALT, State Farm, HFL 3, and eastern most Marina Heights parcel we should see a full line of buildings from Ash Ave-Packard Dr by 2016-2017. One positive note is Tempe has seen steady development since about 2011-2012. We have had a couple projects fail to pan out, but there have been some milestones since the recession. Now I plead for the streetcar to commence!

The apartments on the north side of the lake along College Ave are still doing ground work, but the lake is starting to fill up (northside/southside west of Rural). Anyone want to take guesses on what next parcel we will see proposals for (besides eastern most Marina Hts development). Maybe Hayden Harbor? I hope that development sees 10-20 story towers!!!

http://www.tempe.gov/city-hall/community-development/development-projects

rocksteady
Mar 25, 2015, 6:46 PM
YES!!! The entire lakefront will be filled from Mill to University, well almost...

I can't wait to see what happens with the last remaining parcel that is currently the construction offices for Marina Heights. I think the City/ASU will RFQ that out.

The density there is going to be awesome. And when the Mill renovation with hotel, restaurant and ampethere are done there will be a little action on the south side of rio salado for the first time. WHile I'm happy to see that parcel filled in with a hotel, I'm always a bit underwhelmed when I look at the renderings. It's a shame the hotels and residential along the lake aren't the highest of all the buildings to make the most out of the incredible views. I would love to see that lake lined with highrises, at least up as high as they can go with the flight path overhead.

Jjs5056
Mar 25, 2015, 7:55 PM
WHile I'm happy to see that parcel filled in with a hotel, I'm always a bit underwhelmed when I look at the renderings. It's a shame the hotels and residential along the lake aren't the highest of all the buildings to make the most out of the incredible views. I would love to see that lake lined with highrises, at least up as high as they can go with the flight path overhead.

Agreed. It would've been nice to have residential and hotel highrises along the lake. SALT, AC Marriott, and The Jefferson are pretty stumpy and underwhelming, but at least Marina Heights brings some decent excitement.

I think Hayden Harbor is a long way out, and I'm not sure who even owns that parcel at this point, let alone whether there are any plans for it.

I would probably guess that Phase I of the Stadium District will be the next movement we see at the lakefront. It would be nice if it started with the parcel east of Marina Heights, and then continued toward McClintock along the lake before building over Karsten.

Ideally, I'd like to see that parcel east of Marina Heights sold off to a private developer and a residential tower over some kind of attraction (an aquarium would have been appropriate) be built. Or, given that BRT will be running down Scottsdale Rd, and the Streetcar along Rio Salado, perhaps a decent-sized transit center at the base would make sense.

rocksteady
Mar 26, 2015, 10:35 PM
Agreed. It would've been nice to have residential and hotel highrises along the lake. SALT, AC Marriott, and The Jefferson are pretty stumpy and underwhelming, but at least Marina Heights brings some decent excitement.

I think Hayden Harbor is a long way out, and I'm not sure who even owns that parcel at this point, let alone whether there are any plans for it.

I would probably guess that Phase I of the Stadium District will be the next movement we see at the lakefront. It would be nice if it started with the parcel east of Marina Heights, and then continued toward McClintock along the lake before building over Karsten.

Ideally, I'd like to see that parcel east of Marina Heights sold off to a private developer and a residential tower over some kind of attraction (an aquarium would have been appropriate) be built. Or, given that BRT will be running down Scottsdale Rd, and the Streetcar along Rio Salado, perhaps a decent-sized transit center at the base would make sense.

I've always liked the idea of an attraction down there, like an aquarium...but I see a big aquarium is getting built up on the salt river reservation. I doubt the region would build two not far from one another. The lake def needs more than office, hotel, and residential and some attraction would be a nice add.

Jjs5056
Mar 26, 2015, 10:44 PM
I've always liked the idea of an attraction down there, like an aquarium...but I see a big aquarium is getting built up on the salt river reservation. I doubt the region would build two not far from one another. The lake def needs more than office, hotel, and residential and some attraction would be a nice add.

I believe there is also one at AZ Mills, so yes, it wouldn't be realistic.

I actually wouldn't mind if that corner parcel is just a transit center with ferry services on weekends connecting restaurants from shore to shore, along with public art and a grand entrance onto the multi-use path that runs along the lake. I think this would add much more to the lake than a generic highrise would. The lake is a community asset and there should certainly be attractions adjacent to it that engage the public and aren't corporate offices or luxury housing. Having Tempe Beach Park and some kind of public amenity on this parcel would be nice end-caps to the sterile (yet, very exciting) development going on in between.

There was always talk of having an actual 'swimmable' section of Town Lake - essentially, a floating pool. Maybe something like that would be a good fit? Or, a Salt River Project museum? Orrrr... some kind of water-inspired observation deck with a restaurant on top?

PHXFlyer11
Mar 26, 2015, 11:32 PM
I believe there is also one at AZ Mills, so yes, it wouldn't be realistic.

I actually wouldn't mind if that corner parcel is just a transit center with ferry services on weekends connecting restaurants from shore to shore, along with public art and a grand entrance onto the multi-use path that runs along the lake. I think this would add much more to the lake than a generic highrise would. The lake is a community asset and there should certainly be attractions adjacent to it that engage the public and aren't corporate offices or luxury housing. Having Tempe Beach Park and some kind of public amenity on this parcel would be nice end-caps to the sterile (yet, very exciting) development going on in between.

There was always talk of having an actual 'swimmable' section of Town Lake - essentially, a floating pool. Maybe something like that would be a good fit? Or, a Salt River Project museum? Orrrr... some kind of water-inspired observation deck with a restaurant on top?

I think that should be the signature corner for the lake as the last remaining parcel on the south side.

Power lines cover the front half of the lot, so whatever goes there if it's residential or commercial should be tall. I'd like for it to be 20 stories with public amenities as you mentioned. We discussed a floating restaurant or two, that would be awesome there.

Jjs5056
Mar 26, 2015, 11:41 PM
I think that should be the signature corner for the lake as the last remaining parcel on the south side.

Power lines cover the front half of the lot, so whatever goes there if it's residential or commercial should be tall. I'd like for it to be 20 stories with public amenities as you mentioned. We discussed a floating restaurant or two, that would be awesome there.

I think Tempe continues to prove that height doesn't always = great city. In this case, I don't think a signature corner necessarily needs to include a tower. A transit center that connects streetcar, BRT, and ferry systems next to a grand public entrance to Tempe Town Lake will go a long way toward making the lakefront an urban scene vs. a cold, isolated, residential tower.

In an ideal world, I agree that all of these things could come together, and I hope they do (high rise residential on top of a transit center? Observation tower on top of a transit center? W hotel on top of a SRP Museum?). Just playing devil's advocate a bit, while stressing the importance of ensuring the lake is as publicly accessible as possible.

Obadno
Mar 27, 2015, 4:27 PM
[QUOTE=Jjs5056;6966602]I think Tempe continues to prove that height doesn't always = great city. QUOTE]

In a lot of cases height does nothing for the street level vibrancy. All of Europe, D.C, Countless vacation mountain and beach towns all prove this.

Id rather have Phoenix-temp-Scottsdale be comprised of blocks and blocks of 1-20 story well designed buildings than 3 isolated groups of towers.

Jjs5056
Mar 27, 2015, 4:40 PM
Exactly. I love towers when they are well-designed, but that seems to be rare. There has to be somewhat of a balance, though, because 4-story apartments in downtown Tempe also could be problematic. There is only so much land left to develop, and they're trying to create a critical mass, which is obviously much easier to do through 12 story buildings than 4.

In news...

Tempe has chosen a median, mixed-traffic alignment for the streetcar along the Apache leg. This was chosen over a north-lane alignment, as well as a dedicated median.

I didn't realize a dedicated median was on the table, and am really disappointed that it wasn't selected. That would've made the streetcar much more reliable and not impacted by congestion, traffic, etc. and lead to greater ridership as it would prove to be more efficient than walking or biking. Leaving it in mixed-use traffic means people will continue using their current mode, whether it be car, foot or bike since the streetcar won't have a single advantage over any of them.

PHXFlyer11
Mar 27, 2015, 4:46 PM
Exactly. I love towers when they are well-designed, but that seems to be rare. There has to be somewhat of a balance, though, because 4-story apartments in downtown Tempe also could be problematic. There is only so much land left to develop, and they're trying to create a critical mass, which is obviously much easier to do through 12 story buildings than 4.

In news...

Tempe has chosen a median, mixed-traffic alignment for the streetcar along the Apache leg. This was chosen over a north-lane alignment, as well as a dedicated median.

I didn't realize a dedicated median was on the table, and am really disappointed that it wasn't selected. That would've made the streetcar much more reliable and not impacted by congestion, traffic, etc. and lead to greater ridership as it would prove to be more efficient than walking or biking. Leaving it in mixed-use traffic means people will continue using their current mode, whether it be car, foot or bike since the streetcar won't have a single advantage over any of them.

Is there an updated diagram anywhere to reflect this? Any update on when they expect to break ground?

Jjs5056
Mar 27, 2015, 5:32 PM
Is there an updated diagram anywhere to reflect this? Any update on when they expect to break ground?

Yes to the diagram, no to the groundbreaking. It's within the minutes of one of the meetings (available on tempe.gov); I can't for the life of me find it, however. I'm sorry... I can describe anything if you have questions.

I love Tempe's progressive stance on transit, but I just wish it were focused on initiatives that actually made sense. This streetcar is one of the few instances where I believe the "we only copy what cities are doing" argument has merit.

Jjs5056
Mar 27, 2015, 5:41 PM
FOUND IT: http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/cache/1207/vwi5azy4n1nxtbddsutvgkf1/1933151903272015104024743.PDF

Also, they are still determining if they are going to add a stop at St. Luke's and they might shorten the Apache leg to terminate at Rural.

In addition, I just found the following doc which shows that Rio Salado is proposed as a dedicated median alignment, so that's one positive.

http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/cache/1207/vwi5azy4n1nxtbddsutvgkf1/1922146503272015104310571.PDF

DevilsRider
Mar 27, 2015, 7:40 PM
Interesting that they'd go dedicated median on one alignment but mixed traffic on the other. I would think that the mixed traffic would reduce any reliability gains provided by Rio's dedicated median.

The links seem to be dead; do you remember which meeting it was from?

FOUND IT: http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/cache/1207/vwi5azy4n1nxtbddsutvgkf1/1933151903272015104024743.PDF

Also, they are still determining if they are going to add a stop at St. Luke's and they might shorten the Apache leg to terminate at Rural.

In addition, I just found the following doc which shows that Rio Salado is proposed as a dedicated median alignment, so that's one positive.

http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/cache/1207/vwi5azy4n1nxtbddsutvgkf1/1922146503272015104310571.PDF

PHXFlyer11
Mar 27, 2015, 9:43 PM
Interesting that they'd go dedicated median on one alignment but mixed traffic on the other. I would think that the mixed traffic would reduce any reliability gains provided by Rio's dedicated median.

The links seem to be dead; do you remember which meeting it was from?

Links worked for me, thanks for posting them.

It looks like they are going to get this wrapped up and submitted for funding (I assume federally) by the end of the Summer.

On Mill you really need to have mixed traffic.

Jjs5056
Mar 27, 2015, 10:36 PM
Links worked for me, thanks for posting them.

It looks like they are going to get this wrapped up and submitted for funding (I assume federally) by the end of the Summer.

On Mill you really need to have mixed traffic.

Yes, Mill makes sense. But, Apache doesn't. It is an extremely congested road and if they had the option of dedicated ROW, they should have taken it.

To be honest, they should have just planned LRT extensions to begin with instead of this.

PHXFlyer11
Mar 28, 2015, 12:55 AM
So I heard an interesting discussion on the radio the other day about how Jerry Colangelo is apparently involved in the ASU Basketball head coaching search. The fact was brought up in the discussion that Jerry wants to bring USA basketball to Tempe. The didn't quite go this far, but it gave me a thought...

I recalled some of the info SilverFox passed along and began to wonder if ASU and USA BB are working on a proposal for new joint facilities within the Athletic District.

Ray Anderson, the ASU AD mentioned just a few weeks ago that they were looking into options as Wells Fargo Arena continues to age. I think this would be a match made in heaven for Tempe, ASU and the Athletic district. I hope that something is in the works.

I'd love to see a new facility at the corner of Rio and Rural, where the old Packard Stadium is and the street car extended to Rural. That would surely be a great new centerpiece for the district!

Jjs5056
Mar 28, 2015, 2:12 AM
So I heard an interesting discussion on the radio the other day about how Jerry Colangelo is apparently involved in the ASU Basketball head coaching search. The fact was brought up in the discussion that Jerry wants to bring USA basketball to Tempe. The didn't quite go this far, but it gave me a thought...

I recalled some of the info SilverFox passed along and began to wonder if ASU and USA BB are working on a proposal for new joint facilities within the Athletic District.

Ray Anderson, the ASU AD mentioned just a few weeks ago that they were looking into options as Wells Fargo Arena continues to age. I think this would be a match made in heaven for Tempe, ASU and the Athletic district. I hope that something is in the works.

I'd love to see a new facility at the corner of Rio and Rural, where the old Packard Stadium is and the street car extended to Rural. That would surely be a great new centerpiece for the district!

Yes, I have been saying that USABB would end up in the Stadium District since USA Place fell apart. Seems like a no-brainer. Would've been nice to have had a mid-large scale event center in downtown, though.

ASU Diablo
Mar 28, 2015, 3:40 AM

You beat me to it! They brought the publisher from Sun Devil Source on Burns & Gambo Show on today on 98.7 to once again rehash that story. He provided some background on why USA Place initially fell apart which included details with "unhappiness" with the developer (which was already known) but also provided insights into grumblings between Jerry Colangelo and Michael Crow on how the revenue was going to be split up between both entities from the retail, residential, etc.

Not sure if everyone here follows ASU Mens BB but Colangelo has been linked to helping them find a replacement for head coaching position. Two names in the mix are two ex-Duke guys and coincidentally Coach K (Duke) is also head coach for USA Basketball. All this to say that USA Place is hopefully still alive and I agree with both PHXFlyer11 and Jjs that a shared facility would be awesome regardless of where it resides in Tempe. Great for downtown Tempe and great for ASU and its quest to have a better men's basketball program.

MegaBass
Mar 28, 2015, 9:11 PM
You beat me to it! They brought the publisher from Sun Devil Source on Burns & Gambo Show on today on 98.7 to once again rehash that story. He provided some background on why USA Place initially fell apart which included details with "unhappiness" with the developer (which was already known) but also provided insights into grumblings between Jerry Colangelo and Michael Crow on how the revenue was going to be split up between both entities from the retail, residential, etc.

Not sure if everyone here follows ASU Mens BB but Colangelo has been linked to helping them find a replacement for head coaching position. Two names in the mix are two ex-Duke guys and coincidentally Coach K (Duke) is also head coach for USA Basketball. All this to say that USA Place is hopefully still alive and I agree with both PHXFlyer11 and Jjs that a shared facility would be awesome regardless of where it resides in Tempe. Great for downtown Tempe and great for ASU and its quest to have a better men's basketball program.

Wonder how that would work out if the hockey team (soon to be Division I) moves to the new arena since WFA already hosts men's and women's basketball, volleyball, gymnastics and wrestling. As Spitfiredude mentioned earlier (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=6943613&postcount=5678) Kajikawa football practice fields and Dickey Dome (Bubble) will be freed up once they relocate practice fields and indoor field house to the northern part of the stadium. It'll be interesting what they end up doing with WFA, Packard, Alpha Drive, Kajikawa/Bubble sites.

combusean
Mar 28, 2015, 9:58 PM
Guys,

If there's a link from Tempe's city website that is something like documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/cache/ljhkadhfladshf/32873027320.pdf, it's temporary and won't last long.

Please rehost those documents like on Google Drive or something, or indicate how you found the document.

Thanks.

Jjs5056
Mar 29, 2015, 12:27 AM
Are they permanent as long as they don't have 'cache' in the URL?

City Council March 26th - Apache and Mill alignments under the "Streetcar Update" agenda item:

http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=1047&doctype=AGENDA

Streetcar Update 2/19/2015 - Rio Salado alignment, discussion on possible 13th Street route change (instead of Apache curve), discussion on possible Rural Rd termination (instead of Dorsey):

http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/meeting.aspx?cabinet=published_meetings&docid=24053809

TempeSilverFox
Mar 29, 2015, 4:35 PM
This was posted on Friday to the AZ Builders Exchange website. Talks the Grand at Papago Park (202 and Priest.)

- Could have some 10 story buildings
- Will house up to 20,000 workers / residents at buildout
- Looking to secure some tenants prior to breaking ground
- Going ahead with building the roads in to the project
- Canal has already been moved so that it can become the center focus of the project
- Looking to become "Crown Jewel" of the Papago Park area

http://azbex.com/the-grand-at-papago-park-to-be-legacy-project/

Obadno
Mar 31, 2015, 9:29 PM
This was posted on Friday to the AZ Builders Exchange website. Talks the Grand at Papago Park (202 and Priest.)

- Could have some 10 story buildings
- Will house up to 20,000 workers / residents at buildout
- Looking to secure some tenants prior to breaking ground
- Going ahead with building the roads in to the project
- Canal has already been moved so that it can become the center focus of the project
- Looking to become "Crown Jewel" of the Papago Park area

http://azbex.com/the-grand-at-papago-park-to-be-legacy-project/

We were talking about this a few weeks ago. Ambitious project that has been on the books for what 6-7 years? I don't have a lot of hope for full build out unless they get 1 or two major tenants to sign on.

Nice to see that some residential is still planned!

CrestedSaguaro
Apr 1, 2015, 5:49 PM
I'm not sure this was posted yet since I normally look at this form from my cell phone and I have not seen it posted, but dirt is moving on the AC Marriott and construction equipment is on site.

PHXFlyer11
Apr 1, 2015, 6:08 PM
I'm not sure this was posted yet since I normally look at this form from my cell phone and I have not seen it posted, but dirt is moving on the AC Marriott and construction equipment is on site.

I believe someone mentioned it about a week ago. Great to hear it confirmed though! I assume that the Mill + Rio project was approved. Hopefully we see that break ground quickly.

Good to see dirt moving on new projects as some of the others like University House, HFL3 and Marina Heights wrap up.

I did notice that the first level of SALT appears to be above ground now also. Looking forward to seeing the proposal that SilverFox mentioned and whatever will be selected in place of USAplace.

DevilsRider
Apr 4, 2015, 9:49 PM
The elevator shaft is going up for the project next to the Marina. Some quick, visible progress. I like it!

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8709/16848105919_15d31bab26_c.jpg

Plus, I took a photo of Marina Heights from the north side. Nice to see building #3 almost completely glassed up, building #4 halfway there, and building #5 a couple floors up!

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7648/16414181203_1691409953_c.jpg

Leo the Dog
Apr 5, 2015, 5:31 AM
Tempe and Scottsdale are really taking the lead in the Valley.

Tempe "skyline" is looking good. Any complaints from the locals/NIMBYs about losing the view of A Mountain?

DevilsRider
Apr 5, 2015, 12:39 PM
Tempe and Scottsdale are really taking the lead in the Valley.

Tempe "skyline" is looking good. Any complaints from the locals/NIMBYs about losing the view of A Mountain?

I've heard a couple personal comments about that, but there's still view corridors that will give you significant parts of the mountain, and I don't think the SALT apartments will be tall enough to block more than the very bottom of the mountain.

Fortunately, from the north side, there weren't that many residences with views of the mountain to begin with. And you still get a decent view from Papago Park even with the new construction, I think.

Leo the Dog
Apr 5, 2015, 3:40 PM
I've heard a couple personal comments about that, but there's still view corridors that will give you significant parts of the mountain, and I don't think the SALT apartments will be tall enough to block more than the very bottom of the mountain.

Fortunately, from the north side, there weren't that many residences with views of the mountain to begin with. And you still get a decent view from Papago Park even with the new construction, I think.

Cool, I think it's actually become a neat focal point with the buildings wrapping around it. I remember when Tempe considered leveling off the butte for development.

Jjs5056
Apr 5, 2015, 6:19 PM
I love the look of the butte against the shiny buildings. Looks great.

Tempe was supposed to build an observation deck at the top of A mountain at one point; I wonder if that will ever happen? The more unique attractions/amenities downtown, the better!

TempeSilverFox
Apr 5, 2015, 7:35 PM
I love the look of the butte against the shiny buildings. Looks great.

Tempe was supposed to build an observation deck at the top of A mountain at one point; I wonder if that will ever happen? The more unique attractions/amenities downtown, the better!

I remember that too! Something about moving the antennas off the summit and relocating them to the top of West 6th and then putting in a nice observation deck! I think that would be AWESOME! How many other downtowns can boast a mountain in the middle to view things???

DevilsRider
Apr 5, 2015, 9:01 PM
A few more photos I took this morning. A/C Marriott is moving dirt, but not much else. HFL3 looking good. SALT has a small portion above ground, but lots of underground work on the rest of the site still to do. And Sun Devil Stadium bleacher demolition continuing on progress. The East Wing demolition is basically done, only the columns remain.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7639/17045057811_7fe108488e.jpg https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7639/16838485957_361f3eca50.jpg https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7722/16858354060_e13fe54939.jpg https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7708/16858110068_84285db0cf.jpg

RichTempe
Apr 6, 2015, 4:03 AM
Does anyone have any idea what's being done at the SE corner of 55th St & Broadway by the San Portella apartments? They cleared the lot last week and now a construction fence has gone up. I work nearby in Fountainhead, but haven't heard or seen anything about this parcel.

azsunsurfer
Apr 6, 2015, 1:48 PM
Those two smaller townhouse/ loft developments are going up in North Tempe. I think one is off Curry and the other one is a block or two north of that near the new Hampton Inn. You can see one of them off of the 202.

azsunsurfer
Apr 6, 2015, 2:06 PM
http://azbex.com/aps-slates-700m-ocotillo-power-plant-upgrade/

Obadno
Apr 6, 2015, 4:08 PM
http://azbex.com/aps-slates-700m-ocotillo-power-plant-upgrade/

IS that awful power plant tower coming down!:notacrook: awesome.

The only thing I wish phoenix would do is bury some power lines but that doesn't seem like its ever going to happen.

KEVINphx
Apr 6, 2015, 6:40 PM
IS that awful power plant tower coming down!:notacrook: awesome.

The only thing I wish phoenix would do is bury some power lines but that doesn't seem like its ever going to happen.

I agree, it would be AMAZING if more valley cities buried the utility lines - the horrible massacring of tree landscaping around power lines in this town is disgusting.

DevilsRider
Apr 6, 2015, 11:22 PM
Just remembered that I saw a new big red development review sign up at the site on Rio Salado east of Rural, where those proposed 4-story apartments were denied and that Asian investment deal fell through. I wish I had stopped to take a picture, but I'll try to remember this weekend. If anyone else knows anything about what's going on though, maybe you can fill us in?

PHXFlyer11
Apr 6, 2015, 11:41 PM
Just remembered that I saw a new big red development review sign up at the site on Rio Salado east of Rural, where those proposed 4-story apartments were denied and that Asian investment deal fell through. I wish I had stopped to take a picture, but I'll try to remember this weekend. If anyone else knows anything about what's going on though, maybe you can fill us in?

Very interesting, it will probably show up on the agenda for the 4/28 DRC meeting which is not yet posted. Hoping for a nice surprise or two on there!

DevilsRider
Apr 7, 2015, 10:03 PM
I've been busy this week jetting around Tempe! Saw this today, and I don't think this has come up here yet (this iteration, at least). Meetings coming up for University/Forest parking lot site.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7651/16883391228_4bd5bd2326_b.jpg

Jjs5056
Apr 7, 2015, 10:47 PM
Wow, I hope that project actually happens. 440+ apartments has to translate into some decent height, especially if a hotel is also proposed on the site.

Maybe a hotel at this location could take the place of what was planned at USA Place? An Omni takes the city to whole new level, IMO, and I would love to see it still happen.

EDIT: I found the following website for the project. Unfortunately, no renderings or much in the way of details, other than square footage and a note that they are "investigating high rise development." There is a photo of the actual site, however, and it matches what someone posted about a while back. It only has 7th Street frontage, which is unfortunate; I hate that empty lot on Mill.

http://wexforddevelopments.com/location/tempe-7th-street/

DevilsRider
Apr 7, 2015, 11:20 PM
I believe that site is a different development, JJS. The one with the zoning sign is that massive parking lot south of the linked site (bounded by University, Forest, 7th St, and Myrtle). That looks like a cool project too though!

Wow, I hope that project actually happens. 440+ apartments has to translate into some decent height, especially if a hotel is also proposed on the site.

Maybe a hotel at this location could take the place of what was planned at USA Place? An Omni takes the city to whole new level, IMO, and I would love to see it still happen.

EDIT: I found the following website for the project. Unfortunately, no renderings or much in the way of details, other than square footage and a note that they are "investigating high rise development." There is a photo of the actual site, however, and it matches what someone posted about a while back. It only has 7th Street frontage, which is unfortunate; I hate that empty lot on Mill.

http://wexforddevelopments.com/location/tempe-7th-street/

PHXFlyer11
Apr 8, 2015, 12:41 AM
I believe that site is a different development, JJS. The one with the zoning sign is that massive parking lot south of the linked site (bounded by University, Forest, 7th St, and Myrtle). That looks like a cool project too though!

So if I have been following everyone correctly, we should see the following coming up on the DRC:

1) DevilsRider above project on 7th
2) Silverfox's mention of an upcoming project for another lot there with the developer he referenced with a Minnesota project rendering
3) DRC sign that DevilsRider saw near the proposed TrendEx site that ultimately failed

Do I have all that correct? If so, the good times should continue to roll in Tempe!

DevilsRider
Apr 8, 2015, 1:01 AM
I think Silverfox's mention with the Minnesota project rendering might be the same site as the 7th St project I found the DRC sign for, but I'm not sure.

So if I have been following everyone correctly, we should see the following coming up on the DRC:

1) DevilsRider above project on 7th
2) Silverfox's mention of an upcoming project for another lot there with the developer he referenced with a Minnesota project rendering
3) DRC sign that DevilsRider saw near the proposed TrendEx site that ultimately failed

Do I have all that correct? If so, the good times should continue to roll in Tempe!

PHXFlyer11
Apr 8, 2015, 2:01 AM
I think Silverfox's mention with the Minnesota project rendering might be the same site as the 7th St project I found the DRC sign for, but I'm not sure.

Ah! I thought that one went from 7th to University, but I was probably mistaken. Either way, can't wait to see the plans! Hopefully another one that will break ground quickly.

Jjs5056
Apr 8, 2015, 4:59 AM
Ah! I thought that one went from 7th to University, but I was probably mistaken. Either way, can't wait to see the plans! Hopefully another one that will break ground quickly.

There's no way any project except for the old University Square lot will extend from University - 7th Street, so I'm guessing the project that Silver's project is the one I provided a link to. It matches his description almost perfectly - he mentioned it having 7th St frontage and none on Mill Ave.

I'm not convinced that these aren't all one project; it seems too coincidental that two projects named "7th Street West" would be in the works. But, yes, I guess we will see.

I'd feel a little bit more confident in these projects if they included office as opposed to hotel. And, 440 units is fantastic - I just hope they follow Hanover's lead in not allowing co-signers on applications. Otherwise, I really want to see some condos back in the downtown market.

azsunsurfer
Apr 8, 2015, 5:33 PM
If you all looked at the City of Tempe's website you will see that two lots of the Pier 202 site have plans being reviewed, both max height at 84'.

rocksteady
Apr 8, 2015, 5:51 PM
There's no way any project except for the old University Square lot will extend from University - 7th Street, so I'm guessing the project that Silver's project is the one I provided a link to. It matches his description almost perfectly - he mentioned it having 7th St frontage and none on Mill Ave.

I'm not convinced that these aren't all one project; it seems too coincidental that two projects named "7th Street West" would be in the works. But, yes, I guess we will see.

I'd feel a little bit more confident in these projects if they included office as opposed to hotel. And, 440 units is fantastic - I just hope they follow Hanover's lead in not allowing co-signers on applications. Otherwise, I really want to see some condos back in the downtown market. JJ, do you have a brief history on University Square. I remember LOVING it for that corner and would have totally made that corner great, especially if it was paired with USA Place across the street. Did it fail because of the financial collapse in 2008? Any chance of it coming back to life or has things been built in its path since then? I'm viewing from a distance so not as up to date as a local. Thanks in advance!

Jjs5056
Apr 8, 2015, 8:33 PM
If you all looked at the City of Tempe's website you will see that two lots of the Pier 202 site have plans being reviewed, both max height at 84'.

Thanks for the link and directions on how to find the info on the Tempe site.

JJ, do you have a brief history on University Square. I remember LOVING it for that corner and would have totally made that corner great, especially if it was paired with USA Place across the street. Did it fail because of the financial collapse in 2008? Any chance of it coming back to life or has things been built in its path since then? I'm viewing from a distance so not as up to date as a local. Thanks in advance!

University Square had two versions proposed during the last boom cycle. The original called for a massive hotel, residential, and retail project; once the residential market collapsed, they revised the plans to include only a hotel. However, that never got off the ground, either, and no - I highly doubt there is any chance of it coming back in either of those forms.

The first version was pretty impressive and a real "big city" vibe to it, but the second version looked completely out of scale - a massive superblock with a single squatty hotel tower on top.

VERSION 1: http://www.tryno.com/tempedev/site1/usquare/index.htm
VERSION 2 was essentially the first, bu without the tall towers, leaving just the ground hotel portion.

rocksteady
Apr 8, 2015, 8:46 PM
Thanks for the link and directions on how to find the info on the Tempe site.

University Square had two versions proposed during the last boom cycle. The original called for a massive hotel, residential, and retail project; once the residential market collapsed, they revised the plans to include only a hotel. However, that never got off the ground, either, and no - I highly doubt there is any chance of it coming back in either of those forms.

The first version was pretty impressive and a real "big city" vibe to it, but the second version looked completely out of scale - a massive superblock with a single squatty hotel tower on top.

VERSION 1: http://www.tryno.com/tempedev/site1/usquare/index.htm
VERSION 2 was essentially the first, bu without the tall towers, leaving just the ground hotel portion. Thanks for the information! Man, that first version would have looked great there as the south entrance to Mill. What a shame. If that was built, plus USA place as was originally planned, that would be quite the "big city" corner.

PHXFlyer11
Apr 8, 2015, 8:48 PM
Does anyone recall during the boom there was talk of Centerpoint being redeveloped? I know that things like the theater, the former Islands and El Hefe technically have been "Redeveloped" but this seemed to imply something bigger. I thought maybe they had considered adding tower.

I know that Parsons owns this property as well as the University and Rural property (name escaping me). As of now he doesn't seem to interested in complete redevelopments, but perhaps down the road...

Jjs5056
Apr 8, 2015, 8:49 PM
Thanks for the information! Man, that first version would have looked great there as the south entrance to Mill. What a shame. If that was built, plus USA place as was originally planned, that would be quite the "big city" corner.

It would've also been immediately adjacent to the M7 project that ran from Mill to Forest along 7th Street, which was another great proposal.

A lot of what was proposed back then was truly pie-in-the-sky, but it would be great to see some more adventurous proposals - especially ones for condos, as the hotel and apartment market must be near saturation by now?

DevilsRider
Apr 8, 2015, 8:57 PM
So I went back and found TempeSilverFox's post on the proposed development. I think this is the same site as both University Square and the DRC sign I posted the other day.

The site that JJS found (Tempe 7th Street) is west of this site, between Myrtle and Mill. Tempe 7th Street would either have been adjacent to, or a part of, the M7 site location (which would have been Mill to Myrtle, University to 7th, directly west of the University Square site as JJS just mentioned).

So we have:
1) University Square/DevilsRider DRC sign/TempeSilverFox renderings
2) Tempe 7th Street / M7
3) TrendEx DRC sign I saw but don't have a pic of yet (I imagine this is the same site azsunsurfer mentioned a few posts ago, but it could be a different one).

What a confusing couple of days! Haha

Good morning!
2. There is a project that we will all LOVE in the works for 7th street- across from House of Tricks. The rendering she showed us appears to be somewhat similar to that M7 project we saw ages ago. It includes at least one or two tall towers (more than 10 for sure) that would have apartments, a hotel and conference space. It would extend all the way from 7th Street to University - so YAY! She did not have a timeline- just that it is in the works- and hopefully we will hear more soon. She said it is going to be handled by the same group that created this project "The Nic on Fifth" in Minneapolis. See pictures of Nic on Fifth renderings below- and Google "Nic on Fifth" for more info:

http://damonfarber.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/nicollet-residences-6.jpg

http://apps.startribune.com/blogs/user_images/buchtjd_1410532239_The-Nic-on-Fifth_1649_1000x667.jpg

DevilsRider
Apr 8, 2015, 8:58 PM
Yes, I remember talk of an addition above the theatre building, but I don't remember what form (tower, midrise, lowrise, residential, office, etc). Either way, I don't think I've seen anything about that in quite awhile.

Does anyone recall during the boom there was talk of Centerpoint being redeveloped? I know that things like the theater, the former Islands and El Hefe technically have been "Redeveloped" but this seemed to imply something bigger. I thought maybe they had considered adding tower.

I know that Parsons owns this property as well as the University and Rural property (name escaping me). As of now he doesn't seem to interested in complete redevelopments, but perhaps down the road...

azsunsurfer
Apr 8, 2015, 10:41 PM
DMB originally planned to demolish the theater and replace it with a hotel (tower) and redevelop the retail along Mill to include lofts above. They were the owners prior to Parsons but they completely way over-leveraged with their risky urban endeavors (see One Scottsdale) and have now gone back to their original business model of single family master-planned communities.

Jjs5056
Apr 8, 2015, 10:51 PM
Devils - you were right; the parcel I found for West 7th Street is indeed a different property owner. They said they don't have plans/renderings yet, so this is definitely very preliminary. But, it would be great to see a cluster of high rises around University/7th.

As for Centerpoint, yes - during the boom, there were major plans for renovations, which led to what ultimately became a ghost town as they let all their tenant's leases expire in anticipation of construction. The plans called for ~7 story condos over retail replacing the entire block between 7th and 6th. I think that would've looked really spectacular; living units over retail lining a major shopping boulevard just looks so cosmopolitan.

The other part of the redevelopment was the theater; it was to be knocked down for a 200' hotel. I actually really liked the design of the tower, though I'm glad AMC has opened in the abandoned theater.

Of course, DMB sold off Centerpoint a few years back, so none of this is at all in the realm of possibility.

PHXFlyer11
Apr 8, 2015, 10:58 PM
Devils - you were right; the parcel I found for West 7th Street is indeed a different property owner. They said they don't have plans/renderings yet, so this is definitely very preliminary. But, it would be great to see a cluster of high rises around University/7th.

As for Centerpoint, yes - during the boom, there were major plans for renovations, which led to what ultimately became a ghost town as they let all their tenant's leases expire in anticipation of construction. The plans called for ~7 story condos over retail replacing the entire block between 7th and 6th. I think that would've looked really spectacular; living units over retail lining a major shopping boulevard just looks so cosmopolitan.

The other part of the redevelopment was the theater; it was to be knocked down for a 200' hotel. I actually really liked the design of the tower, though I'm glad AMC has opened in the abandoned theater.

Of course, DMB sold off Centerpoint a few years back, so none of this is at all in the realm of possibility.

Wow, this is too bad. That sounds really awesome. I wouldn't want a super block, but a series of buildings, with the retail still having personality would've been amazing.

RichTempe
Apr 9, 2015, 2:24 AM
Does anyone have any idea what's being done at the SE corner of 55th St & Broadway by the San Portella apartments? They cleared the lot last week and now a construction fence has gone up. I work nearby in Fountainhead, but haven't heard or seen anything about this parcel.

So to answer my own question, the link below shows that it will be called the "Shops at Fountainhead" and will front Broadway with parking in the rear. Kind of similar to the SE corner of 7th Ave & McDowell in Phoenix, although I think this will have more parking. At least it's developing a vacant lot which probably wouldn't realistically get used for anything other than this. The document is from last July, but since construction has started, I'll assume it was approved.

http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=26190

DevilsRider
Apr 9, 2015, 2:58 AM
Also reminds me somewhat of the center by Rural/202 on the north side of the lake, with the Yogurtland, Starbucks, etc. I like it!

So to answer my own question, the link below shows that it will be called the "Shops at Fountainhead" and will front Broadway with parking in the rear. Kind of similar to the SE corner of 7th Ave & McDowell in Phoenix, although I think this will have more parking. At least it's developing a vacant lot which probably wouldn't realistically get used for anything other than this. The document is from last July, but since construction has started, I'll assume it was approved.

RichTempe
Apr 9, 2015, 3:09 AM
Also reminds me somewhat of the center by Rural/202 on the north side of the lake, with the Yogurtland, Starbucks, etc. I like it!

That's probably a better comparison since 7th & McDowell used an existing building and this is new construction.

DevilsRider
Apr 9, 2015, 4:39 AM
Thanks for digging this up, by the way. I didn't notice the first time I looked, but it appears to have a direct sidewalk connection (with a gate) into the gated apartment complex next door. It's a nice little touch that improves connectivity and access quite a bit for those walking or biking from the apartment complex (not only to the commercial businesses, but also to the bus stop right there and the nearby intersection. Should also get good business from Fountainhead employees (About 1/2 mile away).

That's probably a better comparison since 7th & McDowell used an existing building and this is new construction.

MegaBass
Apr 9, 2015, 6:45 PM

http://40.media.tumblr.com/b93b0e2fb49777ab2723151f086fbe20/tumblr_ml2publTe11qcev3ao1_500.jpg

Renaissance ClubSport? (http://www.nelsenpartners.com/portfolio-renaissance-clubsport)

Obadno
Apr 9, 2015, 6:52 PM

Awesome I Always wondered why that lot wasn't a gas station or something seems like a perfect location.

I actually just moved to Fountainhead for work about 3 weeks ago. There is no convenient food options for all these offices and soon to be Residents so this should do really well.

Unfortunately I probably wont be in this location long enough to see this finished.

Obadno
Apr 9, 2015, 7:07 PM
http://40.media.tumblr.com/b93b0e2fb49777ab2723151f086fbe20/tumblr_ml2publTe11qcev3ao1_500.jpg

Renaissance ClubSport? (http://www.nelsenpartners.com/portfolio-renaissance-clubsport)

Hey so on that website there is something called "Scottsdale Hotel" for Starwood. Is that an actual development or just a concept? it looks like an infill project..

Obadno
Apr 9, 2015, 7:11 PM

The original center point rendering was 4 towers (the other two being where Hannover is now)

At least I could of sworn I saw that in a rendering or site plan... maybe not:shrug: it was like 8 years ago

exit2lef
Apr 9, 2015, 8:10 PM
The original center point rendering was 4 towers (the other two being where Hannover is now)

At least I could of sworn I saw that in a rendering or site plan... maybe not:shrug: it was like 8 years ago

Yes, it was going to be four towers but then got scaled back to two, both of which sat unoccupied and partially complete for a while due to the real estate crash.

PHXFlyer11
Apr 9, 2015, 8:11 PM

It's actually confusing because the complex called Centerpoint is not where West Sixth is. But the original West Sixth was to be called Centerpoint and include 4 towers.

The project which I am referring to is the "actual" Centerpoint in the rendering that MegaBass posted.

exit2lef
Apr 9, 2015, 8:14 PM
It's actually confusing because the complex called Centerpoint is not where West Sixth is. But the original West Sixth was to be called Centerpoint and include 4 towers.

The project which I am referring to is the "actual" Centerpoint in the rendering that MegaBass posted.

Good point. My post above is about what is now known as West Sixth.

dtnphx
Apr 9, 2015, 10:09 PM
This.

Revamped Centerpoint takes shape in Tempe
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/news/article_edec006c-285f-55dd-9782-21f56d20d25d.html

Tempe Centerpoint faces new future with new owner
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=96153&page=289

Jjs5056
Apr 10, 2015, 12:48 AM
On to relevant news, 15 townhomes are coming to 233 Roosevelt, right in the middle of all the development on/around Farmer.

Socalzonie
Apr 10, 2015, 1:15 AM
Hey so on that website there is something called "Scottsdale Hotel" for Starwood. Is that an actual development or just a concept? it looks like an infill project..

It looks suspiciously like the site where the Broadstone Waterfront apts were just developed by Alliance Residential. Along the canal just south of Scottsdale Fashion Square.

Spitfiredude
Apr 10, 2015, 2:51 AM

The original Centerpoint development included the Centerpoint (now W6) condos, Chase buildings/garages, movie theater, shops/eateries along west-side of Mill, and the Marriott hotel. The site is pretty much summed by Mill to West, 5th St north (6th St between Mill/Maple), railroad tracks to west (besides Whole Foods site) and University to the south.

Eventually, DMB sold off the sites one by one, including Hanover and the abandoned condo project (hence, why they are no longer a part of Centerpoint). The theater did bad, so they were gonna throw a hotel there. Instead, AMC is now there, W6 was completed, and Hanover is near done. So yes, prior to 2010, W6 was a part of the "actual" Centerpoint and post-2010 it is not.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2015/04/09/phoenix-may-sell-downtown-sheraton-hotel/25555315/

Could we see the Suns come to downtown Tempe or the east valley? I couldn't imagine USA, Suns, and ASU all sharing an arena. In fact, it makes more sense to me that USA and ASU would share an arena than any other combination of two, but is it possible that the combination of 3 happens? Or that we see two arenas? Maybe ASU/USA arena at Rural/Rio Salado and a Suns arena at University/Mill or somewhere else along the lake such as Pier 202 or something. I think the problem is there is limited space to build 2 arenas.

By the way, The Grand at Papago has advertising signs now up at the site. They've recently been installed.

Spitfiredude
Apr 10, 2015, 7:26 PM
South bank project is 2 separate lots. Both contain approximately 272 apartments and one has 4,800 SF of retail while the other has 5,100. The DRC schedule date is 5/12. Please be high rise or at least 8+. I can't imagine we will see anything less than 5 considering what happened here last time. I imagine they must be high rise - dual towers.

azsunsurfer
Apr 11, 2015, 4:33 AM
South bank project is 2 separate lots. Both contain approximately 272 apartments and one has 4,800 SF of retail while the other has 5,100. The DRC schedule date is 5/12. Please be high rise or at least 8+. I can't imagine we will see anything less than 5 considering what happened here last time. I imagine they must be high rise - dual towers.

Ah the City of Tempe site says the max heights for both will be no more than 84'...hardly a "high rise"...

DevilsRider
Apr 11, 2015, 9:19 PM

^------ What he said! I finally got back out to take photos of the DRC signs. Here they are!

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7656/16905958697_efea488525_b.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8687/17111819512_c5d1c7af2e_b.jpg

MegaBass
Apr 12, 2015, 3:33 AM
USA Basketball not likely to accept ASU proposal to move facilities to Tempe (http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/asu/2015/04/11/asu-usa-basketball-olympics-michael-crow-jerry-colangelo/25634875/)

Arizona State still wants to be the new home for USA Basketball but such a move is unlikely to happen, according to USA Basketball Chairman Jerry Colangelo.

Colangelo, former Phoenix Suns and Arizona Diamondbacks chairman/CEO, said USA Basketball probably will remain in Colorado Springs, Colo., its home since 1993. USA Basketball is the national governing body for men's and women's basketball, selecting and training teams that represent the United States in international competitions including the Olympics and World Championships.

"The (USA Basketball Board of Directors) feeling right now might be that it's best just to put this on the shelf yet again," said Colangelo, who twice in the last decade has tried to bring USA Basketball to metro Phoenix, first to Glendale and most recently to Tempe.

Plans for a $436-million project known as USA Place on ASU property fell apart in January when ASU ended negotiations with developer Concord Eastridge. That project was to include an Omni Hotel and conference center, luxury apartments, retail and office space and underground parking in addition to the headquarters and training center for USA Basketball and the Arizona Interscholastic Association offices, all located near University Drive and Mill Avenue, a major entryway to ASU.

Obadno
Apr 13, 2015, 3:56 PM
USA Basketball not likely to accept ASU proposal to move facilities to Tempe (http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/asu/2015/04/11/asu-usa-basketball-olympics-michael-crow-jerry-colangelo/25634875/)

I don't really understand what the problem is here....they are trying to move but don't want to move?

:shrug:

Jjs5056
Apr 15, 2015, 12:30 AM
1) Tea 2 Go opened in the Tempe Transportation Center; assuming that RevoPizza is still open? If so, the Center should be fully leased which is pretty impressive.
2) Nush opened across the street from University House on College Ave; it's hard to keep track of what is actually open in that area, though; there was College Dropouts, the Cantina, Mad Hatter, etc. Between Studio 5C and the building to its south, I have no idea what is currently leased.
3) Corner Bakery is opening in the Gateway building; I think that only leaves 1 space unoccupied.
4) 7th Street Mixed Use - posted by DevilsRider - is office, residential, and hotel w/ 444 residential units and 230 hotel rooms. Height is TBD, ugh; but, this has to be a high-rise with that # of apartments... I'm thinking 250' for the apartments and 150' for the hotel?
5) Just confirming AZSUNSURFER's post that the two SouthBank apartments are listed at 84' each... that's the same height as Hanover (6 stories) - which is really, really lame especially considering that their initial proposals were denied for lack of density. Yes, adding retail makes it more conducive to the General Plan, but if there's one place high-rise residential makes sense in Tempe, it's on the finite amount of lakefront property!

Butta
Apr 15, 2015, 5:33 AM
1) Tea 2 Go opened in the Tempe Transportation Center; assuming that RevoPizza is still open? If so, the Center should be fully leased which is pretty impressive.
2) Nush opened across the street from University House on College Ave; it's hard to keep track of what is actually open in that area, though; there was College Dropouts, the Cantina, Mad Hatter, etc. Between Studio 5C and the building to its south, I have no idea what is currently leased.
3) Corner Bakery is opening in the Gateway building; I think that only leaves 1 space unoccupied.
4) 7th Street Mixed Use - posted by DevilsRider - is office, residential, and hotel w/ 444 residential units and 230 hotel rooms. Height is TBD, ugh; but, this has to be a high-rise with that # of apartments... I'm thinking 250' for the apartments and 150' for the hotel?
5) Just confirming AZSUNSURFER's post that the two SouthBank apartments are listed at 84' each... that's the same height as Hanover (6 stories) - which is really, really lame especially considering that their initial proposals were denied for lack of density. Yes, adding retail makes it more conducive to the General Plan, but if there's one place high-rise residential makes sense in Tempe, it's on the finite amount of lakefront property!

Yes Revo Pizza is open.

As far as Southbank, I agree, should at least be 10 stories. I'm not a high rise fiend, but SALT is really underwhelming, that project should have been at least 6 stories, anything below that is lame. Also, the building quality (wood frame) looks pathetic standing next to the concrete/steel/glass of Hayden Ferry and State Farm.

ASUSunDevil
Apr 15, 2015, 5:08 PM
Yes Revo Pizza is open.

As far as Southbank, I agree, should at least be 10 stories. I'm not a high rise fiend, but SALT is really underwhelming, that project should have been at least 6 stories, anything below that is lame. Also, the building quality (wood frame) looks pathetic standing next to the concrete/steel/glass of Hayden Ferry and State Farm.

Completely agree. They should be building something similar to Domus (Arcadia) at least. When the lake is fully developed in 10 years, I think we'll look at SALT and wonder how it got approved at that site.

azsunsurfer
Apr 16, 2015, 4:07 PM
Given that SALT is being built with woodframe construction and constructing an underground garage...the only positive is that eventually it could easily be demolished and re-developed down the road when land prices and demand increase & mature.

dtnphx
Apr 16, 2015, 4:18 PM
Completely agree. They should be building something similar to Domus (Arcadia) at least. When the lake is fully developed in 10 years, I think we'll look at SALT and wonder how it got approved at that site.

Have we posted renderings of SALT? I'm curious to see why it is so bad for the area. Thanks.

MegaBass
Apr 16, 2015, 4:33 PM
Have we posted renderings of SALT? I'm curious to see why it is so bad for the area. Thanks.

SALT renderings (http://www.olivermcmillan.com/places/projects/14/salt.html)

Obadno
Apr 16, 2015, 5:40 PM

It would actually be pretty cool if at least the section facing the lake was like 8 stories tall.:(

dtnphx
Apr 16, 2015, 9:59 PM

Thanks for posting. Very Miami, very retro in design. It's an attractive design, but a little stunted for it's place on the lake.

Butta
Apr 17, 2015, 4:31 AM
Thanks for posting. Very Miami, very retro in design. It's an attractive design, but a little stunted for it's place on the lake.

The thing is, the real thing will not look nearly as nice as the rendering, I'll be shocked if that happens

Jjs5056
Apr 17, 2015, 11:02 AM
SALT actually doesn't bother me because at least it's being built in the middle of a cluster of midrises and highrises. While I think a taller project would've been great next to Marina Heights, SALT is still a nice transition between HFL and MH, and it's almost like an infill site - I feel it would've been a tough parcel to sell once MH is complete. At least, with this and Marriott AC, HFL will be entirely built out which is pretty impressive.

But, over on the "coasts" of the lake, the lack of height is more frustrating. The Jefferson at Playa Del Norte, for example - it's the last parcel (or one of the last) on that corner of the lake so it would've been nice to have crammed as many residential units as possible into a decent-sized tower. And, aesthetically speaking, Having all 3 developments (Jefferson, Northshore and Grigio) all at the same height looks rather lame. A 12-14 story bookend would've looked much better and given the lake some balance.

And, two random 80' apartments at SouthBank will just look ridiculous IMO.

ASUSunDevil
Apr 17, 2015, 7:33 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2015/04/17/tempe-regrouping-after-failed-1b-town-lake-project.html

TakeFive
Apr 18, 2015, 12:51 AM
I don't really understand what the problem is here....they are trying to move but don't want to move?
:shrug:

Wasn't familiar with USABB or the back story here even though I often follow their U19 men's team. I'm sure that Colangelo being the great promoter and apparently ASU was welcoming such that the package was too good to resist.

With the deal dead the best info I found for the current situation is HERE (http://gazette.com/usa-basketball-national-offices-may-remain-in-colorado-springs/article/1549616). I also noticed that Colangelo's tenure is about up. Not sure what that might mean if anything.

ASU Diablo
Apr 22, 2015, 10:23 PM
Went to downtown Tempe the other day and saw the retail space next to AMC theaters under construction and wondered what it was. Looks like a new brewery, Pedal Haus.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/dining/2015/04/22/anticipated-restaurants-opening-summer/26097425/

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/d8c532356b0cd7c9582afb5cfeca8f21fa462630/c=247-0-1098-640&r=x513&c=680x510/local/-/media/Phoenix/2015/04/20/B9317004318Z.1_20150420183251_000_GCJAID9KP.1-0.jpg