PDA

View Full Version : Tempe Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117

Leo the Dog
Sep 20, 2014, 7:17 AM
I think it should be preserved forever. I wouldn't want to see it turned into some trendy hipster bar/loft douchebaggery place though.

Why not build an awesome Arizona Historical Museum. I mean, a really awesome museum. A must see attraction for a tourist. It would be the perfect setting. Close to modern city conveniences and transportation.

MegaBass
Sep 20, 2014, 2:46 PM
I think it should be preserved forever. I wouldn't want to see it turned into some trendy hipster bar/loft douchebaggery place though.

Why not build an awesome Arizona Historical Museum. I mean, a really awesome museum. A must see attraction for a tourist. It would be the perfect setting. Close to modern city conveniences and transportation.

Already have one at Papago Park and the Tempe History Museum reopened in 2010.

nickw252
Sep 20, 2014, 6:31 PM
I created a thread in the Highrise Construction forum for the HFL III tower. Feel free to contribute:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=213319

Jjs5056
Sep 21, 2014, 9:35 PM

Yea, unfortunately, the library and museum are off on Southern/Rural; a library branch was planned for Farmer Arts - if not in the works there any longer, that would be another element that might be nice to add into a development on the mill property. I can't see the park space staying - too valuable if ever sold to a real developer. That pad would generate the most income, so an out of the box building maybe similar to 5c Studios with creative office space, ground level retail and then space for something like a library branch or community center would be great.

I agree with your line of thinking that it should be a community-centric property. I think with a bakery and small exhibit, and being picky about the kind of stores that would move into any additional retail space, you could accomplish an important linkage while paying tribute to its history.

DevilsRider
Sep 21, 2014, 9:41 PM
Took a couple pictures of The Yard construction this morning. I like the entry Facade off Farmer, with the brick and older-looking hanging lights. However, when I look at the back by the RR tracks, I see a whole lot of driveway/parking lot, and not really any room for a bike/ped path. Unless it's going to be on that slightly elevated area by the fence adjacent to the RR tracks? Still time to see before construction ends, I guess.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3852/15127296547_35ac023eb4.jpg https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5574/15313840145_9d77757083.jpg

DevilsRider
Sep 21, 2014, 9:50 PM
Also took pics of Hanover and Postino (which opens in a couple weeks!). From a distance, Hanover looks awkwardly short and bulky, but I think up close the scale looks just fine. We'll have to wait for the facade, but this could end up looking decent, and if we can replace the crappy 1-2 story buildings around Mill with more Hanover-height buildings, I think it's a win for downtown.

Similarly, UH2 is looking pretty good. They're building it in seamlessly with the original, and the added density here may help finish filling up the retail in the building. Would be nice to see the aquatic center replaced with a couple slender midrises and a courtyard opening up to the south (allowing e/w pedestrian access from College past the Annex and through to the ASU PV buildings.

As for Postino, this project is looking GREAT. I like the trees planted in the patio area, and it appears there will be planters with some greenery lining the entire patio. College is quickly becoming my favorite corridor in Tempe!

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5596/15313840525_c60c854611.jpg https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5562/15313840955_5d5c71017f.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3906/15127257128_bd15d0f324.jpg https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5576/15313492142_dd42f70156.jpg

DevilsRider
Sep 21, 2014, 9:54 PM
I don't have pics for these last couple, but Erbert & Gerbert's looked like they're already open (next to Yoga to the People), and the Revo space in the transportation center is as far along as I've ever seen (looks like they've got a bar or counter space installed, and plenty of work underway). Finally, apparently Argo/Skywater has people moving in, but there is still so much work to be done on that building. It looks like only a small corner is liveable so far. Wonder what's taking them so long to finish things up...

MegaBass
Sep 21, 2014, 11:17 PM
Would be nice to see the aquatic center replaced with a couple slender midrises and a courtyard opening up to the south (allowing e/w pedestrian access from College past the Annex and through to the ASU PV buildings.

http://33.media.tumblr.com/57ba269fe867f0926f0b65681c15e046/tumblr_mjdolkT1MU1qcev3ao6_r1_1280.png

From 2011 master plan, aquatics center along with tennis, track and field and intramurals fields would be at Karsten.

Jjs5056
Sep 22, 2014, 1:51 AM
Going back to the days of Neil G's mayorship, the Mona Plummer center has always been the talk of redevelopment. ASU has always seemed open to it, and while technically there is already a nice E/W corridor next to the Foundation building, something more prominent and on-scale with the changes to College would be appropriate. Hopefully, a private developer builds something tall on the last Block 12 parcel. I wonder the chances of seeing the bookstore/cornerstore building redeveloped? It's kind of an eyesore now that most of its contemporaries (Arches) have been demolished. Something 3-4 stories would be on-scale and help modernize the southern end. I can't imagine retail not filling up at Hub - that's some serious density! Hope it helps Studios 5c and that the area booms during game days.

Hanover was 2-3 stories away from being a great addition to downtown. As it is, the infill of market rate residents is still a positive. But, at the very least, I wish it were sitting on a retail podium. I'm also nervous for the facade - Hanover has a series of apartments with a real cheap looking brick finish, but they also have ones with a nice luxury feel. Hopefully, Tempe gets the latter. I was chatting with some people from the Mill Ave Assoc. and they realize the surrounding 1-story buildings are a terrible gateway so hopefully, if not developed, the association can work on beautifying them so that they aren't as scary as they are now (looking at you, smoke shop white brick building).

Thank you for the pics!

ciweiss
Sep 23, 2014, 2:39 AM
Montes update

I just got a mail for a public hearing for Montes calling for a 15 & 16 story building. The 16 would also be a 274 guest hotel. The 1st hearing is for 10/9 at Hatton Hall, 7th street. I couldn't get the photo thing to work but put it in a URL below.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9803736@N04/15140856977/

PHXFlyer11
Sep 23, 2014, 2:56 AM
Montes update

I just got a mail for a public hearing for Montes calling for a 15 & 16 story building. The 16 would also be a 274 guest hotel. The 1st hearing is for 10/9 at Hatton Hall, 7th street. I couldn't get the photo thing to work but put it in a URL below.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9803736@N04/15140856977/

Thanks for sharing, this is awesome! The density on Rio is going to be amazing. Almost from Rural to Ash now! Very nice renderings. It's dense but not obscurely tall. I also think it makes this project more realistic. It is going to feel so urban when you are at events at the beach park looking to the south.

A couple of notes from driving around downtown Tempe today... The Lofts at Hayden Ferry most definitely has work going on now. Also, there is continued work on what I presume is Encore 2. Lots of materials have arrived on site. HFL III looks like it could go vertical next week.

Now if we can get USAplace underway!

nickw252
Sep 23, 2014, 3:01 AM
http://i60.tinypic.com/343rnt4.jpg

PHXFlyer11
Sep 23, 2014, 3:09 AM
I really like the North/South orientation as well. Will be visually interesting next to the American building. Now if we could get 2-3 20-24 story building we'll get a pretty balanced skyline in Tempe.

Jjs5056
Sep 23, 2014, 4:09 AM
I really like the North/South orientation as well. Will be visually interesting next to the American building. Now if we could get 2-3 20-24 story building we'll get a pretty balanced skyline in Tempe.

I think they are oriented East/West; the first photo shows the Gateway building, followed by the new hotel, and finally Monti's before Rio Salado. It's a bit confusing, though.

Are these final renderings? Not in love with the architecture, but I won't be too picky. The hotel podium helps with the scale as it's in proportion to Monti's, but while I enjoy the additional height it bring, the parking podium on the office tower is awfully clunky. Looks like it's almost 50% of the building. Overall- the boxy look is my main issue; just really want to avoid a wall of buildings hitting you when crossing the bridge. I'm also interested in what materials will be used on the hotel - doesn't look like all glass on the north/south facade.

Unless Ash/University surprises, W6 will likely be the southern endcap of the skyline, as I doubt a 14-story Omni will make much of a dent. With these guys on the northern end, we're looking at the usual lots to help will in the gap: the old M7 at Mill/7th, University Square, and Ash/5th. Really wish Hanover had more of an impact; hotel and residential towers there around the 20-story mark would've looked awesome.

Spitfiredude
Sep 23, 2014, 4:26 AM
Unless Ash/University surprises, W6 will likely be the southern endcap of the skyline, as I doubt a 14-story Omni will make much of a dent. With these guys on the northern end, we're looking at the usual lots to help will in the gap: the old M7 at Mill/7th, University Square, and Ash/5th. Really wish Hanover had more of an impact; hotel and residential towers there around the 20-story mark would've looked awesome.

There are still lots in the area of south-east downtown. Between College, University, Mill, and 6th street.

On another note, as far as super high (for Tempe standards), I don't think we will ever see anything higher than West 6th. I'm sure I"m saying an obvious statement, but damn it would be nice to see one 400 footer. Fortunately, as long as most high rises stay between 100-300' West 6th will look higher than it actually is. At least its visually appealing. If the project on Ash/5th plays out, it can help balance it out a little bit.

Downtown Tempe needs another high rise residential competitor!

PHXFlyer11
Sep 23, 2014, 4:30 AM
Does anyone know what plans are for the land around the Tempe Center for the Arts? I assume the city owns the land and that any height would be severely limited by the flight path directly overhead. I don't even know if 5-6 stories would fly there, but it would sure be nice.

Jjs5056
Sep 23, 2014, 4:51 AM
There are still lots in the area of south-east downtown. Between College, University, Mill, and 6th street.

On another note, as far as super high (for Tempe standards), I don't think we will ever see anything higher than West 6th. I'm sure I"m saying an obvious statement, but damn it would be nice to see one 400 footer. Fortunately, as long as most high rises stay between 100-300' West 6th will look higher than it actually is. At least its visually appealing. If the project on Ash/5th plays out, it can help balance it out a little bit.

Downtown Tempe needs another high rise residential competitor!

Aside from University Square and M7, which lots are you referring to in southeast downtown? Any others would require redevelopment/are slated for ASU projects.

300' has long been the established height maximum for Tempe. The following doc contains a height map. Tempe has done a lot of work in terms of outlining the uses it wants to see and where, which is why it is disappointing when one of the few prime lots designated for 300' like Hanover is wasted. As you mentioned, a quality high rise competitor to W6 would be good for all involved: it would balance the skyline, promote fair pricing, and force W6 to keep up with proper maintenance and high standards.

http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/cache/1207/lb4ibf2dlv3xe0kd0raw1gn3/1865673309222014093200191.PDF

Does anyone know what plans are for the land around the Tempe Center for the Arts? I assume the city owns the land and that any height would be severely limited by the flight path directly overhead. I don't even know if 5-6 stories would fly there, but it would sure be nice.

The intent for this land was always to create space for outdoor recreation, along with artist housing, galleries, etc. 5-6 should be okay - proposals in the boom were much higher. A mix of 3-4 story live/work artist housing and 5-7 story market rate/mixed use apartments spread amongst open park space, basketball courts, trails, etc. would look great.

PHXFlyer11
Sep 23, 2014, 2:47 PM
The intent for this land was always to create space for outdoor recreation, along with artist housing, galleries, etc. 5-6 should be okay - proposals in the boom were much higher. A mix of 3-4 story live/work artist housing and 5-7 story market rate/mixed use apartments spread amongst open park space, basketball courts, trails, etc. would look great.

Interesting, were any renderings ever done?

It looks like the web site for The Grand at Papago Park Center continues to be updated wit the progress on the relocation of the canal (http://www.thegrandatpapagoparkcenter.com/index.html). I know many are not a fan of this project, but if it gets us another 3-4 8-10 story buildings in a location that will never be urban anyways, I am good with it. I just have a hard time believing that any or most of this will come to fruition.

MegaBass
Sep 23, 2014, 5:14 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bx1_t7_CAAAFD40.jpg

University Drive improvement medians with palm trees. h/t Tom Tokoph of Urban Realty (https://twitter.com/UrbanRealty/status/512706361751126016)

Spitfiredude
Sep 23, 2014, 6:51 PM
I know many are not a fan of this project, but if it gets us another 3-4 8-10 story buildings in a location that will never be urban anyways, I am good with it. I just have a hard time believing that any or most of this will come to fruition.

I love this project. The parking garages suck, but that is Phoenix. That's never going to end and companies don't want to spend the extra money for underground parking. This complex is on the outline of downtown Tempe anyway. The buildings look great. I hope it does happen. Can you imagine driving from Phoenix and seeing the freeway lined with mid rise and high rise buildings. Ahh...

Leo the Dog
Sep 23, 2014, 7:00 PM
University Drive improvement medians with palm trees. h/t Tom Tokoph of Urban Realty (https://twitter.com/UrbanRealty/status/512706361751126016)

Date palms look great! Did University dr used to have a suicide lane median?

PHXFlyer11
Sep 23, 2014, 7:39 PM
Date palms look great! Did University dr used to have a suicide lane median?

Correct. It looks nice, but this will make traffic a nightmare. It will severely limit where people can turn and cause back-ups at turn lanes that stop traffic. I have been avoiding University like the plague while they have the middle lane shut down. Having said that, I'm for it. That street could use a clean-up.

DevilsRider
Sep 23, 2014, 10:18 PM
Correct. It looks nice, but this will make traffic a nightmare. It will severely limit where people can turn and cause back-ups at turn lanes that stop traffic. I have been avoiding University like the plague while they have the middle lane shut down. Having said that, I'm for it. That street could use a clean-up.

Traffic may get slowed down a bit, but I'm willing to bet that this project will make turning movements more predictable (both for oncoming drivers and for people walking or biking), which in turn should reduce both collisions and close calls on University. Speaking as somebody who travels on University using all modes at one time or another, I'm also all for it! :cheers:

exit2lef
Sep 23, 2014, 10:48 PM
Traffic may get slowed down a bit, but I'm willing to bet that this project will make turning movements more predictable (both for oncoming drivers and for people walking or biking), which in turn should reduce both collisions and close calls on University. Speaking as somebody who travels on University using all modes at one time or another, I'm also all for it! :cheers:

Agreed. There will be no carmageddon on University Drive. Left turn opportunities have been preserved at business entrances and intersecting streets. Besides, one of the reasons Tempe pursued this project is that motor vehicle traffic on University has been decreasing while bike / ped traffic has been increasing.

Jjs5056
Sep 24, 2014, 1:16 AM
Interesting, were any renderings ever done?

It looks like the web site for The Grand at Papago Park Center continues to be updated wit the progress on the relocation of the canal (http://www.thegrandatpapagoparkcenter.com/index.html). I know many are not a fan of this project, but if it gets us another 3-4 8-10 story buildings in a location that will never be urban anyways, I am good with it. I just have a hard time believing that any or most of this will come to fruition.

I just saw renderings the other day in one of the early pages of this thread; will try to dig them up - it was only for one proposal. The rest of my info comes directly from Council meeting minutes from the boom days where they mentioned the use of the land for arts purposes. It looks like they are in the process of hiring someone to develop an overall arts plan for the City, so perhaps that might spur some interest in the area again.

As for Papago, it's not the fact that there are parking garages that bother me. It's the overall site plan which does nothing to address or promote the use of the light rail station that it is immediately adjacent to. No, this won't be an 'urban' area in the sense of being a 24/7 live-work-play part of the city, but that doesn't mean that best practices for TOD shouldn't be followed.

The development plans for the residential buildings to be furthest from the light rail stop, when these are the most likely to use the rail for events, ASU and to go to employment centers outside Papago. Catering toward only the business workers is a complete miss. Additionally, the development is completely inward facing. There's no reason the peripheral buildings, especially at the intersection, shouldn't address the street and be mixed use in nature. Landscaped setbacks and parking lot frontages are simply inappropriate for a development adjacent to a light rail stop.

phxresident
Sep 25, 2014, 4:56 AM
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2014/09/19/report-new-274-room-hotel-could-land-on-mill.html

here is another article about a new building , over monti's in tempe.
:D

HooverDam
Sep 25, 2014, 5:05 AM
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2014/09/19/report-new-274-room-hotel-could-land-on-mill.html

here is another article about a new building , over monti's in tempe.
:D

yuck, bringing back that awful idea? Montis is a historic Tempe landmark, I'd hate for it to be compromised with some building lurching over it.

Classical in Phoenix
Sep 25, 2014, 5:44 PM
Just read an article about KC voters decisively voting down expansion of their two mile street car starter line. It also mention federal money is harder to get. I was wondering if anyone had any current news on the Tempe project.

MegaBass
Sep 25, 2014, 8:57 PM
Just read an article about KC voters decisively voting down expansion of their two mile street car starter line. It also mention federal money is harder to get. I was wondering if anyone had any current news on the Tempe project.

See Metro Phoenix Transit/Transportation Developments tread (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=123666&page=224)

Jjs5056
Sep 26, 2014, 12:54 AM
yuck, bringing back that awful idea? Montis is a historic Tempe landmark, I'd hate for it to be compromised with some building lurching over it.

Unfortunately, that intersection is a prime gateway. This design at least doesn't apply any half-assed cantilever. I think bringing more office, and an upscale Kimpton hotel to the north end of Mill is worth it.

azsunsurfer
Sep 26, 2014, 4:28 PM
I was thinking the other day....as Tempe is getting denser and has attracted dense commercial development, I am hoping that they can eventually allow supergraphics to be plastered on buildings. I am thinking that blank wall that faces north on the Kimpton proposal wouldn't be a bad place to start. Think of the visability from the lake/ freeway. Some people may regard it as visual pollution, however I think some of these buildings offer a unique opportunity given their visability. I think USA Place has some billboards proposed based on the renderings. Discuss.

PHX31
Sep 26, 2014, 5:25 PM
they aren't as scary as they are now (looking at you, smoke shop white brick building).

Thank you for the pics!

I walked by this building last night and it really isn't all that bad. The building itself actually has some decent redeeming qualities from the mid century. It's not all that far offset (not every building needs to but right up against the sidewalk, even though part of this one does which is nice). There are a few small windows (again, not totally ideal, but not every building needs to have huge window shopping windows). And it was decently lit with a pretty cool neon back-lit sign proclaiming the name of the building ("Barmeier Building") - you know, like it's some nice meaningful historic building.

The small parking area in front sucks, but that's OK, again, not everything needs to be perfect.

I don't think you're giving this building enough credit.

A quick search of the Barmeier Building resulted in: The building was designed by architect Patrick JC Mather and built in 1967. It originally served as offices for Mountain Bell.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i265/phxrep/Barmeier.jpg (http://s74.photobucket.com/user/phxrep/media/Barmeier.jpg.html)

dtnphx
Sep 26, 2014, 5:43 PM
My sister worked there for Mountain Bell in the 70s. It was also a Trail's headshop for many years until I'm thinking a few years ago, too.

Jjs5056
Sep 26, 2014, 6:55 PM
I walked by this building last night and it really isn't all that bad. The building itself actually has some decent redeeming qualities from the mid century. It's not all that far offset (not every building needs to but right up against the sidewalk, even though part of this one does which is nice). There are a few small windows (again, not totally ideal, but not every building needs to have huge window shopping windows). And it was decently lit with a pretty cool neon back-lit sign proclaiming the name of the building ("Barmeier Building") - you know, like it's some nice meaningful historic building.

The small parking area in front sucks, but that's OK, again, not everything needs to be perfect.

I don't think you're giving this building enough credit.

A quick search of the Barmeier Building resulted in: The building was designed by architect Patrick JC Mather and built in 1967. It originally served as offices for Mountain Bell.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i265/phxrep/Barmeier.jpg (http://s74.photobucket.com/user/phxrep/media/Barmeier.jpg.html)

No, I have plenty of respect for what that building could be. But, in its current state, it's become a haven for the homeless/beggars that give downtown Tempe a bad reputation because of its poor window and door design. There aren't any 'eyes on the street,' so it isn't the most comfortable of environments.

I'm well aware that of the name of the building - which should be prominently displayed, along with the tenants of the building; as of now, not even the main smoke shop has signage that is visible from the street. If there are other tenants, you would never guess.

1) Moving the entrance to the smoke shop to front Mill instead of being hidden behind the brick 'foyer' and/or a main lobby entrance for other tenants
2) Adding more prominent signage for all tenants
3) Highlighting the Garmeier Building name
4) Including some accent lighting
5) Painting the brick which gives a dated feel; use at least 2 colors to highlight the different forms that make the building attractive

...would all make the building more attractive and the area seem safer - I'm not a prude, I can handle the walk, but I am talking about perception and this being the main thoroughfare connecting Farmer > Mill, you have to admit it could use some TLC. I never recommended tearing the thing down.

Lastly, a pipedream, but it would be great if the parking lot could be turned into a small lot with grass and pavers for vendors; there is plenty of space in the back for parking if employees are made to park at Hanover, and giving the parking lot a new use would make the area safer as there are several driveways and streets breaking the sidewalk in a very short distance.

I realize some of the changes would be costly but some boil down to deferred maintenance such as the paint and lighting; regardless, wouldn't this be somewhat more inviting and comfortable to walk by (I am not a pro and will repeat that I know it isn't as simple as writing it all down)?

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2948/15175607347_1e3acc5af9_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/p81Xmx)

mdpx
Sep 26, 2014, 10:58 PM
What color is the sky in your world, Jjs5056?

Spitfiredude
Sep 27, 2014, 12:16 AM
I'll be straight up. That building is ugly. I walk past it every day and its an eyesore. Visitors think its an eyesore. Its just like the Century Link building across the street. Let's not try to make something out of nothing. Tear it down and put in a 4-8 story condos or townhomes and some retail.

Jjs5056
Sep 27, 2014, 2:57 AM
I'll be straight up. That building is ugly. I walk past it every day and its an eyesore. Visitors think its an eyesore. Its just like the Century Link building across the street. Let's not try to make something out of nothing. Tear it down and put in a 4-8 story condos or townhomes and some retail.

Exactly. If the goal is to build a downtown beyond Mill Ave, 5th street needs to be cleaned up as it is the only linkage between the western neighborhoods and Mill Ave > Rural through College. Walking from the Hanover lot/garage is always a game of figuring out which side looks less sketchy; no, it isn't truly dangerous, but it's dirty and not in a "gives Tempe character" kind of way.

It's a shame Hanover was built without retail, because that's an entire dead zone between Mill and Farmer now. It's too bad Hayden Square couldn't build retail stalls on at least the intersections instead of the parking lot on the ground level. I have to imagine the costs would be recouped in the longterm.

Anyway, Tempe is well aware of the eyesores both CenturyLink and Garmeier/Harmeier are; if the landlords aren't willing to make some changes, hopefully the Association can at least work on beautifying the area, adding wayfinding kiosks, and trying to get permits for vendors and the like to keep the street active.

DevilsRider
Sep 28, 2014, 5:22 PM
Quite a few things to update. I'll start with the stuff I didn't get pictures on. Postino has most of their landscaping in for the patio, and it. Looks. AWESOME. I cannot wait. Looks like it will open on schedule in October. The garage at Hanover looks like it will be invisible from all sides but south/West 6th.

Residences on Farmer is rising now, just SOUTH of Encore. The site seems to extend all the way to University. The lot just NORTH of Encore is also completely fenced off. Might just be staging for Residences, though.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3842/15358757006_56cf11d116.jpg

6th and Roosevelt townhomes now have a name and website: 4 twenty-one west (http://421west.com/). This should be a nice little infill development half a block from Encore. Excited for this one to break ground. They have 4-page info sheets on site, for additional information.

Finally, Marina Heights continues to impress me with its size and street presence. It really is transforming Rio Salado and the lake. Alongside, the Lofts at Hayden Ferry has construction equipment on site. Could be moving ahead shortly. And Hayden Ferry III is chugging along nicely; the underground garage is nearly covered, and the first floor is coming up!

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2945/15358756276_f48645e505.jpg

PHXFlyer11
Sep 28, 2014, 7:12 PM
Quite a few things to update. I'll start with the stuff I didn't get pictures on. Postino has most of their landscaping in for the patio, and it. Looks. AWESOME. I cannot wait. Looks like it will open on schedule in October. The garage at Hanover looks like it will be invisible from all sides but south/West 6th.

Residences on Farmer is rising now, just SOUTH of Encore. The site seems to extend all the way to University. The lot just NORTH of Encore is also completely fenced off. Might just be staging for Residences, though.

6th and Roosevelt townhomes now have a name and website: 4 twenty-one west (http://421west.com/). This should be a nice little infill development half a block from Encore. Excited for this one to break ground. They have 4-page info sheets on site, for additional information.

Finally, Marina Heights continues to impress me with its size and street presence. It really is transforming Rio Salado and the lake. Alongside, the Lofts at Hayden Ferry has construction equipment on site. Could be moving ahead shortly. And Hayden Ferry III is chugging along nicely; the underground garage is nearly covered, and the first floor is coming up!

Thanks for the updates. I didn't realize the name of Residences on Farmer was essentially what we'd been referring to as Encore 2.

I believe that the lot at the very end of Farmer and University is actually the staging lot. They seem to have equipment there, but have not moved dirt. This article seems to confirm that parcel is owned by the same company, but not part of this project. http://azbex.com/transit-development-success-breeds-new-tempe-senior-complex/

Also, I think the lot to the north on 5th and Farmer is actually be used by the city of Tempe to store some crap. It's a semi-permanent fence.

I noticed The Lofts at Hayden Ferry had started as well. If you look at the Marina Heights construction cam, you can actually see dirt is moving on The Lofts site.

MegaBass
Sep 30, 2014, 4:48 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/1044452_10150430882379981_5897458620034165474_n.jpg?oh=ef109e641c3444bc60b0e1c9912d21e2&oe=54C8EA49&__gda__=1418058096_de50a55386c9cc54665eea839b1cf990

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/1549247_10150430882304981_690362683241141056_n.jpg?oh=3b9d006f19af972fb4e163ae3b79bfb0&oe=54D0B1DB&__gda__=1417889106_3d2101343c56941600974df6aba169f4

Postino Annex h/t City of Tempe Government (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150430881874981.1073741846.40669934980&type=1)

Chow Bella: Postino Annex in Tempe Opens Wednesday; Here's a Look Inside (http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/2014/09/postino_annex_tempe_opening.php)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Byu-dW9IAAAZ1g4.jpg

Phoenix Muni with new scoreboard. h/t Sun Devil Baseball (https://twitter.com/ASU_Baseball/status/516715994103169024)

TempeSilverFox
Sep 30, 2014, 7:25 AM
[QUOTE=MegaBass;6748784]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/1044452_10150430882379981_5897458620034165474_n.jpg?oh=ef109e641c3444bc60b0e1c9912d21e2&oe=54C8EA49&__gda__=1418058096_de50a55386c9cc54665eea839b1cf990

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/1549247_10150430882304981_690362683241141056_n.jpg?oh=3b9d006f19af972fb4e163ae3b79bfb0&oe=54D0B1DB&__gda__=1417889106_3d2101343c56941600974df6aba169f4

Postino Annex h/t City of Tempe Government (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150430881874981.1073741846.40669934980&type=1)

Chow Bella: Postino Annex in Tempe Opens Wednesday; Here's a Look Inside (http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/2014/09/postino_annex_tempe_opening.php)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Byu-dW9IAAAZ1g4.jpg

Ah man it looks GREAT!!!! I can't wait to check it out. Thanks for posting the pics of Postino!!! :cheers:

Arquitect
Sep 30, 2014, 8:19 PM
You have to love the DeMarco's and what they have done for the Phoenix food scene. Their eye for finding potential in buildings that had been abandoned or underutilized, as well as their attention to detail when it comes to design, has helped transform entire neighborhoods. As much as it might sound as an exaggeration, one just has to look at what the different Postinos, Joy Rides, etc have done to the areas where they opened. Can't wait to see how this Postino helps transform College Ave.

rocksteady
Sep 30, 2014, 8:35 PM
You have to love the DeMarco's and what they have done for the Phoenix food scene. Their eye for finding potential in buildings that had been abandoned or underutilized, as well as their attention to detail when it comes to design, has helped transform entire neighborhoods. As much as it might sound as an exaggeration, one just has to look at what the different Postinos, Joy Rides, etc have done to the areas where they opened. Can't wait to see how this Postino helps transform College Ave. Couldn't agree more. Just look at what the cluster of restaurants did on Central and Camelback. As much as the residents of the area hate it, those restaurants are always packed and really brought a sense of life to that neighborhood.

phoenixwillrise
Oct 1, 2014, 1:47 AM
Any baseball fans notice the glaring mistake made at PHX MUNI? They left the scoreboard positioned in right field which is nice for cactus league games but ASU often starts at 6 p.m. which means the sun is still setting which will make the scoreboard difficult if not impossible to read. There was a reason why it was in left field at Packard Stadium. Amateur move. Also I was hoping they would remove all the tacky advertising signs and maybe have a max of three, no such luck as I assume the City of Phoenix is still getting revenue from them or ASU is, probably the former.

MegaBass
Oct 1, 2014, 4:03 AM
You have to love the DeMarco's and what they have done for the Phoenix food scene. Their eye for finding potential in buildings that had been abandoned or underutilized, as well as their attention to detail when it comes to design, has helped transform entire neighborhoods. As much as it might sound as an exaggeration, one just has to look at what the different Postinos, Joy Rides, etc have done to the areas where they opened. Can't wait to see how this Postino helps transform College Ave.

Yeah the one at former Gonzo's in Downtown Gilbert is pretty impressive.

Downtown Tempe Equals Great Breakfast (http://www.tempe360.com/Downtown_Tempe_Lofts_and_Condos_Blog/Entries/2014/9/30_Downtown_Tempe_Equals_Great_Breakfast.html)

If you’ve lived in the Downtown Tempe area for any length of time, then you know how long the citizens of this great city have longed for restaurants that serve breakfast. Ever since “Stan’s” closed their doors, there’s been a pancake sized hole. Finally, in 2011, the folks at NCounter brought breakfast back to our Downtown at 3rd Street & Mill Avenue. It established itself as the go-to-spot for the Saturday & Sunday morning crowd. If you’ve been to NC on any given weekend and waited in that line, then you know what we mean! NCounter offers a tasty selection to be sure, albeit a bit pricey for their portions one might argue.

Fast forward to September 2014 and Downtown Tempe is in the midst of a breakfast revival! Three new spots are about to open or have already opened:

Délice Bistro, Orange Table & Snooze AM Eatery

Délice Bistro opened their doors about a week ago. The “soft” opening of this French inspired bistro was a smart choice since not all of their selections are available yet. However, having tried their pastries, breads, crêpes once, we’ve already been back to try them again... and again. They make all of the these items “in house” and it certainly shows! Illy coffee is also served and we can’t think of another place on Mill Avenue where that popular coffee brand is available. Whoever they’ve hired as their pastry chef is superb and we think they will do quite well if they continue to make such delectable items at fair prices. When you eat there, you’ll likely think the owner is from France. You’d probably be surprised to know that he’s actually from Syria! Who would of expected that?!

The Orange Table recently moved to Tempe after a very successful run in the Civic Center in Old Town Scottsdale. Their new location is on the SE corner of 7th Street & Forest. The owner’s live in Tempe and feel like this is a bit of a “coming home” for their restaurant. Choosing to quietly open their doors just this past week, some of the restaurant space is still planned for remodel. (An outdoor patio is envisioned in connection with “park-lets” that will be find a home in 2 of the parallel parking spaces outside along 7th Street). Their menu was left essentially the same, save for a few minor, but welcomed tweaks. (Ex. Thanks to a fryer in the new kitchen, sandwiches are all now served with french fries instead of chips.) The food in their Scottsdale location was always great and we’ve found their new location to be no different. The bonus, for now, is that not many folks know that they have opened, so there isn’t a wait... YET!

Finally, there is Snooze, an AM Eatery which will blast open their doors within a month or so in the re-hab’d brick “Art Annex” building on College & 7th Street. If you’ve been to any of the multiple “Snoozes” (Their Arizona location is at Town & Country in Phoenix), then you know they serve up large portions of scrumptious morning goodies. Given their College Avenue frontage and boasting Postino’s as their next door neighbor, there’s no doubt that their location is more high profile than the other 2 new breakfast venues. We expect this breakfast spot to be jam packed with ASU students on any given weekend... save for maybe during the Summertime?

There you have it! Three new delectables for Downtown Tempe residents. Now, quickly forget we ever said anything. We want to be seated more quickly! :)

DevilsRider
Oct 1, 2014, 11:12 PM
Proposed signage for Culinary Dropout, and on the last page, a site plan showing how the building, parking, and path fit into the site's footprint. I assume that this location will be valet parking like their 7th Street spot?

http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/cache/1207/qnxrippnaglycect0e3zerpt/1874414610012014040020714.PDF

Also of note, 230 W 5th was pulled from the Council agenda by the applicant. The final approval of The Hayden at Dorsey Station (Apache/Dorsey) is expected at tomorrow's Council meeting, and the rezoning/PAD for the Pony Acres site (next to Grigio at Apache/McClintock) could be approved as well (though there seems to be controversy about that one, as related to the relocation of existing mobile home residents on the site).

Also a technical, but welcome adaptive reuse zoning code change that will make it a little bit easier for older buildings to be repurposed instead of torn down.
http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/cache/1207/qnxrippnaglycect0e3zerpt/1874419010012014041117428.PDF

Busy meeting for the Council!

PHXFlyer11
Oct 1, 2014, 11:25 PM
Also of note, 230 W 5th was pulled from the Council agenda by the applicant. The final approval of The Hayden at Dorsey Station (Apache/Dorsey) is expected at tomorrow's Council meeting, and the rezoning/PAD for the Pony Acres site (next to Grigio at Apache/McClintock) could be approved as well (though there seems to be controversy about that one, as related to the relocation of existing mobile home residents on the site).

Unfortunately I felt this was pie in the sky from the very beginning. I certainly don't see it happening any time soon. The renderings seemed very amateur with the stock images all over the bottom levels and building that seemed to lack substance.

It was not added back onto the DRC agenda for 9/23 or 10/14. I don't think it's real. The Monti's proposal on the other hand I think is very real and will move quickly.

Let's hope USAplace is still on track for a Dec groundbreaking.

PHX31
Oct 1, 2014, 11:37 PM
Perhaps 230 W. 5th was just moving too quickly, didn't have all of their ducks in a row, or felt they weren't going to have council support, so they are pulling back until they're ready to really move forward. Pulling from a council agenda is not a nail in the coffin by any means.

Jjs5056
Oct 2, 2014, 5:32 AM
The 5th Street tower development team mentioned buildout as far away as 2020, or "when the market dictates." That was never a project with a chance at breaking ground in the near future.

It's the Apache area that has exploded with 'real' developments, some of which are student-oriented, some low-income, and some market-rate, which is all great for the long-term vitality of that area. Hayden at Dorsey Station includes ground level retail and is reserving it for local businesses, and I can't help but think the influx of residents will have a positive impact on the retail that has struggled along the Boulevard as each development becomes less isolated.

There's a large market rate project planned just west of the 101 that will be done in phases that will be interesting to watch.

DevilsRider
Oct 2, 2014, 2:38 PM
There's a large market rate project planned just west of the 101 that will be done in phases that will be interesting to watch.

Do you have any more details on this? Is this the project discussed here awhile back, that included the closing of Guerrero's Mexican restaurant? http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/2013/07/closing_31-year-old_guerreros.php

Jjs5056
Oct 2, 2014, 3:27 PM
Do you have any more details on this? Is this the project discussed here awhile back, that included the closing of Guerrero's Mexican restaurant? http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/2013/07/closing_31-year-old_guerreros.php

Right now, all I have is a map from the City of Tempe showing a mixed-rate 3-phase development going in that area. Map: http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/cache/1207/ijn4xzuzlq4rtzx2tcv31w0e/1865672910022014083332584.PDF

Phases I and II look to be under preliminary site review, topping out at 75.' ( source: http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowImage?id=13626&t=635476795113270000 ) A new project on that list is The Meridian @ 301 Apartments at 2148 E Apache; no other details provided, however.

Per some meeting notes, I'm glad to see they'll be addressing connectivity between Ash > College. I think it's really high priority that the E/W streets are planned accordingly, as the N/S streets fill up with development. Would be great to see something special done to 5th street given that it's the main connection point and passes through the residential neighborhoods, Farmer Arts, Ash/Streetcar, Mill, Civic Center, and ASU. Wish it were large enough for a small linear park.

Also looks like a new bar is heading to College: Sol Diablo Cantina; nice to see the retail slowly filling out.

exit2lef
Oct 2, 2014, 4:19 PM
Also looks like a new bar is heading to College: Sol Diablo Cantina; nice to see the retail slowly filling out.

Sol Diablo has been around for a while. It closed over the summer and is now relaunching under new ownership with a new menu.

Jjs5056
Oct 3, 2014, 1:49 AM
Sol Diablo has been around for a while. It closed over the summer and is now relaunching under new ownership with a new menu.

Thanks, just saw they received a liquor license so assumed it was new.

DevilsRider
Oct 3, 2014, 3:00 PM
The final approval of The Hayden at Dorsey Station (Apache/Dorsey) is expected at tomorrow's Council meeting, and the rezoning/PAD for the Pony Acres site (next to Grigio at Apache/McClintock) could be approved as well (though there seems to be controversy about that one, as related to the relocation of existing mobile home residents on the site).

Both were approved by council last night (4-2 for Hayden, 5-2 for Pony Acres).

Jjs5056
Oct 3, 2014, 4:10 PM
Wonder when/if we'll see more from the sorority 'tower' proposal adjacent to Dorsey Station? I believe this was originally 14 stories and was chopped in half, but several residents showed up in protest of Dorsey Station mistakenly thinking it was for that project, so there's still going to be opposition.

I hope the opposition is smart, because I'm not sure I fully support much more student-restricted development in that immediate area right now. The mix of development needs to keep bringing in a variety of student, market rate, and affordable options, or else it'll dry up in the summer and retail will never survive which is desperately needed along this corridor to make it truly TOD. 7 stories of Alpha Phis will help September-May, but this is something I would rather see over on University/Rural than on Apache, unless really integrated well like Vista del Sol with its retail plaza. Nothing prevents sororities from renting out large quantities of rooms regardless, but adding a near-vacant midrise in the summer months seems like it'll throw the balance given the comparable densities over developments like Hayden and Pony Acres.

I just hope the debate doesn't turn to the height, because a smartly designed, stepped tower is just fine for that area, and 7 stories is much more in line with building out Apache to serve future growth. These 4-5 story infill projects are great, but we should see more "Vues" than "Gracie's Village."

PHXFlyer11
Oct 3, 2014, 8:26 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2014/10/03/developer-usa-place-construction-to-start-early.html

I do not take this as a positive. It doesn't say that financing has been secured, it just continues to say it's "progressing" however the Dec ground-breaking has been moved back once again. I am growing more and more skeptical.

Also, strange we've heard nothing else on the Pier 202 development. It was very secretive from the beginning.

Jjs5056
Oct 3, 2014, 9:06 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2014/10/03/developer-usa-place-construction-to-start-early.html

I do not take this as a positive. It doesn't say that financing has been secured, it just continues to say it's "progressing" however the Dec ground-breaking has been moved back once again. I am growing more and more skeptical.

Also, strange we've heard nothing else on the Pier 202 development. It was very secretive from the beginning.

It may not be a positive, but with the city's incentives and Colangelo as head of USA Basketball, I can't imagine a scenario where at the very least, the infrastructure to move the HQ isn't built. The problem seems to be that they moved from a phased build-out to an all-at-once approach because they had reached a deal with a deep-pocketed investor; if that's looking shaky now, it just means we won't see the residential+retail lined streets during the first phase, if ever. I think the hotel would also be at risk, especially with the amount of hotels coming to market in the nearby area. But, how could a corporation not get financing to build their HQ when the land is owned by the City/ASU who wants them to move there and is willing to offer incentives?

Losing the hotel would be disappointing, because it's a premium brand and would make a decent end-cap to the skyline at 14 stories. However, the major piece of this development is, and will be, USA Basketball. Another major HQ locating in Tempe bringing jobs, events, and tourism. That portion of Mill is essentially dead, so it's one of the only places where a superblock-forming event venue would work without killing the pedestrian scale of downtown, and USA Basketball will further boost Tempe's reputation as an amateur sports hub as it figures out the details and plans for the stadium district.

As long as that comes to town, it's a win. The residential over retail blocks sounded great, but maybe it's better for the market to determine whether and when those units are needed, rather than cramming them all into a blowout mega-development where they sit empty?

PHXFlyer11
Oct 3, 2014, 9:27 PM
It may not be a positive, but with the city's incentives and Colangelo as head of USA Basketball, I can't imagine a scenario where at the very least, the infrastructure to move the HQ isn't built. The problem seems to be that they moved from a phased build-out to an all-at-once approach because they had reached a deal with a deep-pocketed investor; if that's looking shaky now, it just means we won't see the residential+retail lined streets during the first phase, if ever. I think the hotel would also be at risk, especially with the amount of hotels coming to market in the nearby area. But, how could a corporation not get financing to build their HQ when the land is owned by the City/ASU who wants them to move there and is willing to offer incentives?

Losing the hotel would be disappointing, because it's a premium brand and would make a decent end-cap to the skyline at 14 stories. However, the major piece of this development is, and will be, USA Basketball. Another major HQ locating in Tempe bringing jobs, events, and tourism. That portion of Mill is essentially dead, so it's one of the only places where a superblock-forming event venue would work without killing the pedestrian scale of downtown, and USA Basketball will further boost Tempe's reputation as an amateur sports hub as it figures out the details and plans for the stadium district.

As long as that comes to town, it's a win. The residential over retail blocks sounded great, but maybe it's better for the market to determine whether and when those units are needed, rather than cramming them all into a blowout mega-development where they sit empty?

While I think that as long as the hotel, convention center and USA basketball facilities get built it will be a win, I disagree with the assumption that USA basketball would get this built on their own because they are an organization that requires a HQ.

My feel is that USA Basketball is paying either a) nothing or b) very little to be included in this development. I doubt they have a ton of money and certainly it'd be hard to sell them on moving if they have to pay for a brand new facility.

I am more inclined to believe that the rest of the development subsidies some free or token rent payment by USA basketball. Meaning, if the developers can't generate the revenue from the hotel, retail, convention center and apartments that the USA basketball HQ is dead on arrival, as USA basketball is not paying millions to build or lease a new facility.

However, I do agree that the retail and apartments, while nice, don't seriously interest me. The hotel and convention center are a must as they were required by the RFQ, but the apartments may not be the best that land could do in the long run.

I'd be for scaling back the apartment and condo piece or allowing the developer to sell the land to another developer (thus generating revenue to justify just the Omni, convention center and USA basketball build) who would build apartment/condo towers and office towers.

Just some thoughts. Not saying that this is dead or won't happen, just agreeing that the apartments and retail may not be the best use of that large plot and I wouldn't have a huge issue if they were scaled back.

Jackdavis4
Oct 7, 2014, 6:44 PM
http://azbigmedia.com/featured/olivermcmillan-breaks-ground-salt-apartments

Salt or as everyone here knows a Hayden Ferry Lofts did in fact break ground!!

ASUSunDevil
Oct 7, 2014, 9:26 PM
http://azbigmedia.com/featured/olivermcmillan-breaks-ground-salt-apartments

Salt or as everyone here knows a Hayden Ferry Lofts did in fact break ground!!

Great news besides the name. Salt? Sounds like a Sam Fox restaurant, not high end apartments.

DevilsRider
Oct 7, 2014, 11:39 PM
Great news besides the name. Salt? Sounds like a Sam Fox restaurant, not high end apartments.

Yeah, very odd name choice. I'll look back through Development Review tomorrow, but does anybody have a site plan link on hand? Interested to see how it does (or doesn't) interact with the lakefront.

Also, hopefully they put up a construction camera, I can add it to Hayden Ferry and Marina Heights in my rotation!

rocksteady
Oct 7, 2014, 11:47 PM
Yeah, very odd name choice. I'll look back through Development Review tomorrow, but does anybody have a site plan link on hand? Interested to see how it does (or doesn't) interact with the lakefront.

Also, hopefully they put up a construction camera, I can add it to Hayden Ferry and Marina Heights in my rotation! Def sounds like a restaurant name, although they likely had the river that used to flow in front of it in mind.

Jjs5056
Oct 8, 2014, 12:23 AM

Also, hopefully they put up a construction camera, I can add it to Hayden Ferry and Marina Heights in my rotation!

This is the best site to get a sense of how the development will turn out: unfortunately, the plaza that connects Rio to the lake won't contain any retail; but, this is the way all developments should've addressed the challenge, IMO. Very unique approach, and could've provided a Riverwalk-like experience if developments all had these plazas with boutique shopping and restaurants.

http://www.olivermcmillan.com/places/projects/14/salt.html

azsunsurfer
Oct 8, 2014, 3:22 PM
The new Apache Villas/ Meridian project is much better designed now. I think this style of architecture is an improvement over that garden apartment monstrosity that was originally approved.

PHXFlyer11
Oct 8, 2014, 4:09 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2014/10/08/asu-gives-catellus-development-the-nod-for-330.html

Apparently news conference is underway...

MegaBass
Oct 8, 2014, 6:28 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2014/10/08/asu-gives-catellus-development-the-nod-for-330.html

Apparently news conference is underway...

http://www.statepress.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/District.png

ASU announces Catellus as Athletic Facilities District master developer (http://www.statepress.com/2014/10/08/asu-announces-catellus-as-athletic-facilities-district-master-developer/)

ASU president Michael Crow announced Wednesday at a news conference that mixed-use developer Catellus will be the master developer on the new Athletic Facilities District.

The Sun Devil Stadium renovations are still “priority No. 1,” University executive vice president Morgan Olsen said. But nobody was discounting this project.

President Michael Crow likes that there isn’t just one piece to this project, but that it accomplishes three things at once: “the development of world class amateur athletic facilities,” “urbanization and economic development of downtown Tempe,” and “the demonstration of how to build a sustainable city.”

Crow believes this project will foreshadow future cities in the U.S., featuring sustainability as a No. 1 priority.
The timetable — 10 to 20 years — is similar to another project Catellus is in the middle of: the renovation of the Austin, Texas, airport into a living community. Catellus executive vice president Greg Weaver heads that project, and he will head the project in Tempe, too. The company likes that Austin and Tempe present similar challenges and qualities.

“In the city of Austin, you have strong neighborhood groups and strong stakeholder groups,” Weaver said. “Here, in the city of Tempe, you have ASU, the athletic supporters, you have the foundation and things like that. You’ve got to build a consensus on the game plan and ultimately the master plan. In Austin, we did a lot of that.”
In Austin, that timetable ended up being accurate. Catellus is currently in year 12 of that project, and Weaver expects it to be completed in three years.

In 2010, a business fee was approved to help fund the renovations of Sun Devil Stadium, including the surrounding area, and help build the Athletic Facility District.

The Athletic Facilities District will encompass land already owned by ASU just south of Tempe Town Lake. The University hopes to take advantage of underutilized land, where there is currently a parking lot and the soon-to-be abandoned Karsten Golf Course. However, that course won’t be torn down until it absolutely has to, Crow said Wednesday. When it is, though, ASU will have a top-notch course to replace it. Crow said they have a plan and are working toward a “better golf course than we have.”
ASU also partnered with State Farm to rent out office space to the north of Sun Devil Stadium, near lot 59. That construction is already underway. Crow mentioned the State Farm partnership multiple times throughout the event and thinks both will have positive impacts on ASU and Tempe.

Catellus presents an impressive portfolio of past projects. Its resume includes Union Station in Los Angeles, Mission Bay in San Francisco and the Los Angeles Air Force Base. It primarily works in California, though it has done projects in Colorado, New Jersey and Illinois. This will be its first undertaking in Arizona.

It is run by President and CEO Ted Antenucci, who rejoined the development company in 2011. He previously served as Executive Vice President at Catellus from 1995 to 2005, before joining another developer, ProLogis, as President and Chief Investment Officer.

The University hopes for The District to become a money-maker that can help fund athletics, rather than take that money away from education or get it from new fees (http://www.statepress.com/2014/04/03/arizona-board-of-regents-unanimously-approves-athletic-fee-tuition-proposal/).

phoenixwillrise
Oct 8, 2014, 7:05 PM

ASU announces Catellus as Athletic Facilities District master developer (http://www.statepress.com/2014/10/08/asu-announces-catellus-as-athletic-facilities-district-master-developer/)

The sleeping Giant has been slowly awakening. This will in time take it's sports progams to a whole new level.

DevilsRider
Oct 8, 2014, 8:07 PM
Very exciting! Here's hoping they will start with the two lakefront lots bordering Rural Road, along with the section fronting Rural near University. It would be nice to see Karsten's developed last as mentioned in the article, since there is so much parking lot space to convert first!

Interesting that the old frat row is not part of the district. That lot is in the Tempe Campus Master Plan as "Mixed use Transit Oriented Development (TOD)"...maybe they just plan on developing that area separately, or eventually repurposing it for research/classrooms/etc.

The sleeping Giant has been slowly awakening. This will in time take it's sports progams to a whole new level.

azsunsurfer
Oct 8, 2014, 8:29 PM
ASU has had a project slated for that corner. I think that ASU envisions that project to be ASU/ Student oriented and the "district" is suppose to be market/ general population oriented.

Classical in Phoenix
Oct 8, 2014, 10:55 PM
Is the lakefront portion east of Scottsdale Road, that is not included in the project, the property that was recently announced as a possible hq for a multinational firm, or something to that effect?

DevilsRider
Oct 8, 2014, 11:34 PM
Is the lakefront portion east of Scottsdale Road, that is not included in the project, the property that was recently announced as a possible hq for a multinational firm, or something to that effect?

Yes, that is the area and proposal you're thinking of. Most of the parcels in that area were part of the proposed Tempe land sale for the multinational HQ and other things. A few other parcels in that area are owned by other entities with on-and-off proposals for multi-family, restaurants, senior living, etc.

Classical in Phoenix
Oct 9, 2014, 4:03 PM
Thanks!

PHXFlyer11
Oct 9, 2014, 4:43 PM
Speaking of which...

What were the dates the sale was to be completed and what ever happened at the follow-up council meeting? It's been very quiet on this front.

azsunsurfer
Oct 9, 2014, 5:12 PM
I know they are in their 120 day period to finalize the conditions of the sale. I believe they said the deal of the sale would be brought up at a later date at a council meeting. They are probably working out some logistics (i.e. we can deliver this much of office space by x date, etc) I know there was talk that they were working out the tax abatement which is being danggled to closed the deal.

azsunsurfer
Oct 9, 2014, 6:03 PM
The more I think about it....there is going to be so much competition with this project and various other developments around Tempe. So many other projects (i.e. various residential projects downtown/ apache/ USA Place/ Mill & Rio, Pier 202) all advertise hotel/ office/ residential components. They are probably further ahead then this project will be. I just hope this doesn't turn into an extension of the ASU campus which I assume it will. However, given our weak and fragile economy I don't see how they will be able to have that kind of demand for the time being....even looking at a 20 year time frame. That's just my thought.

PHXFlyer11
Oct 9, 2014, 6:10 PM
The more I think about it....there is going to be so much competition with this project and various other developments around Tempe. So many other projects (i.e. various residential projects downtown/ apache/ USA Place/ Mill & Rio, Pier 202) all advertise hotel/ office/ residential components. They are probably further ahead then this project will be. I just hope this doesn't turn into an extension of the ASU campus which I assume it will. However, given our weak and fragile economy I don't see how they will be able to have that kind of demand for the time being....even looking at a 20 year time frame. That's just my thought.

I agree. This doesn't really excite me. It's positive, but I don't have lofty short term hopes here. BUT it could become attractive if the tax breaks, lease deals, alternative energy, sustainability are truly game changers. If so, this could become really cool.

If I were Tempe and ASU I would go to the following companies and present the entire package of tax breaks, sustainability, etc to some leading companies to try and get an anchor for this thing. I'd look to Apple, Amazon, Netflix, Google, Tesla, Alibaba to see if one of them could be lured to open an office.

Also, let's emphasize our strengths, I'm sure solar will be big, but we are also a great area for datacenters. I'd target a green datacenter as part of this development with many local companies already in the mix like IO and Limelight.

azsunsurfer
Oct 9, 2014, 6:32 PM
Again not to rain on anyone's parade. Even if we saw some explosion in investment for alternative engery....I don't see that kind of office demand being there for that much sqft. that's slated. I am not sure those companies you mentioned would do more than open a soft regional presence at best...they are all heavily invested in the Pacific Northwest/ California.

So ASU wants to grow their endowment and attract research and development? That's great...but PHX is in the process of developing a second BioMedical Campus up north which ASU has agreed to partner with as well. Again not trying to be negative but I really don't see the demand for this. Especially when land on the fringes is relatively cheap (although Tempe is the center of the hour glass of the valley and demand will probably always be present). Again like the Datacenters...I've notice most of them have opened in S. Chandler (again another high tech/ corporate hub that this project is going to compete with). Again I feel in this day in age of Austerity and "do more with less" it's going to be hard to develop. If I were this developer and ASU (and I know this sounds far fetched) but I would partner with other research schools/ universities possibly a medical school and try to go that route. If ASU seeks institutions that don't necessary step on their toes, they could build some collabortive effort per se and possibly continue to boast residential demand in urban Tempe. Sorry I'm starting to sound like JJ lol.

Jjs5056
Oct 9, 2014, 7:10 PM
Speaking of which...

What were the dates the sale was to be completed and what ever happened at the follow-up council meeting? It's been very quiet on this front.

^ Won't comment on the ASU Stadium District since obviously that's not wanted, but this link should give you more details on the Pier 202/SouthBank parcels PHXFlyer:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2014/10/01/tempe-value-year-tax-incentive-town-lake-land-sale/16557673/

There is also a link within the article to another story regarding the development.

alexico
Oct 10, 2014, 3:07 AM
anyone have an idea on the rent cost at Hanover?

PHXFlyer11
Oct 10, 2014, 6:56 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2014/10/10/loop-101-quickly-growing-into-phoenixs-high-tech.html?s=image_gallery

Interesting that Amazon does have a token office in downtown Tempe apparently. Too bad we can't get these companies to the cores of Tempe and Phoenix.

PHXFlyer11
Oct 13, 2014, 3:16 AM
It appears a project called Jefferson Town Lake is proposed at 909 Playa del Norte. From what I can tell this is the site where Onyx was to have been built. The number of units proposed is interesting in that the parcel is not huge and they would also need parking. Could we be looking at 6-8 stories?

http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=28422

PHXFlyer11
Oct 13, 2014, 3:31 AM
Just for reference, Grigio is over 500 units, while SALT / Lofts at Hayden Ferry is very similarly sized at 260 units, but on what appears to be a much bigger lot than the Jefferson site.

Jjs5056
Oct 13, 2014, 4:19 AM
Just for reference, Grigio is over 500 units, while SALT / Lofts at Hayden Ferry is very similarly sized at 260 units, but on what appears to be a much bigger lot than the Jefferson site.

The SALT property is actually rather small. I would say this is only going to be 4-5 stories at most. :( This is one time I'm hoping parking is above ground; I think, aesthetically, this needs to be at least 8 stories to give some levels and perspectives to Tempe. Everything right now is around the same height, so it looks entirely flat with some exceptions, of course.

I think 4 stories will look really lame next to the lowrise Northshore and Grigio.

EDIT: Maybe not. Onyx looked like it maximized its use of the land, and it was planning 196 units in 26 stories. Really would love to see 10+ here.

PHXFlyer11
Oct 13, 2014, 11:30 AM
The SALT property is actually rather small. I would say this is only going to be 4-5 stories at most. :( This is one time I'm hoping parking is above ground; I think, aesthetically, this needs to be at least 8 stories to give some levels and perspectives to Tempe. Everything right now is around the same height, so it looks entirely flat with some exceptions, of course.

I think 4 stories will look really lame next to the lowrise Northshore and Grigio.

EDIT: Maybe not. Onyx looked like it maximized its use of the land, and it was planning 196 units in 26 stories. Really would love to see 10+ here.

The more I think about it, there is no zoning height request because I'm sure it was already zoned for Onyx. The lot is small, I doubt you could get more than 25-30 units per floor. That may even be a stretch.

I can't see parking being completely underground either. Maybe 2 stories of underground, but beyond that it'd be too expensive for apartments.

So I an assuming now this is at least 10 stories. *fingers crossed*

Spitfiredude
Oct 13, 2014, 9:35 PM
The development at North College along the lake was proposed at 90'. I believe that this was 15'' below the power lines which is good height. If this development was 100' plus I think it is considered a good development. I couldn't imagine something over 150'. Would that look somewhat strange? Maybe not. I could imagine initially it would considering Hayden Harbor has not been built, but once that site is developed I think it would blend better.

PHXFlyer11
Oct 13, 2014, 9:42 PM
The development at North College along the lake was proposed at 90'. I believe that this was 15'' below the power lines which is good height. If this development was 100' plus I think it is considered a good development. I couldn't imagine something over 150'. Would that look somewhat strange? Maybe not. I could imagine initially it would considering Hayden Harbor has not been built, but once that site is developed I think it would blend better.

Was North College the built-to-suit office development that was to be 10 stories under the lines by Grigio?

Jjs5056
Oct 14, 2014, 4:02 AM
Was North College the built-to-suit office development that was to be 10 stories under the lines by Grigio?

No - not sure what happened to that office development.

The 'north college' development is the residential development just east of the Marina. "Tempe Town Lake Residential" is what it was referred to as. I believe it's actually on Gilbert Rd, though.

Luckily, the Onyx site doesn't have to deal with the power lines. I don't think a tall tower would look out of place at all; I think it would look much better than anything close to the height of NorthShore - that area really needs some variations in height. 10 stories - around double the height of NorthShore - would be ideal, but really, anything between 10-20 would look great.

The site is also so small, I can't bitch about it not having retail on the ground level. :) It also lends itself to having the garage completely integrated, because they'll want the entrance facing Playa del Norte and amenities facing the lake directly. The setup of NorthShore is terrific in that regard, though the design and height are awful.

Spitfiredude
Oct 14, 2014, 7:24 AM
The site is along the lake. Clustered between the lake (south), Gilbert Dr/College Ave alignment/marina (west), freeway (north), and Hayden Harbor development (east).

The site is also so small, I can't bitch about it not having retail on the ground level. :) It also lends itself to having the garage completely integrated, because they'll want the entrance facing Playa del Norte and amenities facing the lake directly. The setup of NorthShore is terrific in that regard, though the design and height are awful.

As far as retail, I agree. Plus there is plenty of retail/restaurant that sits next to IN-N-OUT. I could maybe see a barber shop/hair salon or small services, but as far as foot traffic from residential you would only see Grigio, Northshore, and this tower. Which adds up to not very much. I don't imagine Hayden Harbor development supplementing people across the street since that development (whatever it will be) is pretty much 100% sure to have retail and this site is so small I don't see it very accessible to non resident parking. Not every development needs retail anyway. Well if there is one that doesn't, I would prefer this over other developments.

Quick question, is there an underground walkway under the Scottsdale/Rural Road bridge along the lake?

TempeSilverFox
Oct 14, 2014, 12:22 PM
Quick question, is there an underground walkway under the Scottsdale/Rural Road bridge along the lake?

Yes, there sure is :) It's part of the excellent paved multi-use path that nearly surrounds Town Lake (the only break being at the east dam.)

Spitfiredude
Oct 14, 2014, 7:21 PM
Yes, there sure is :) It's part of the excellent paved multi-use path that nearly surrounds Town Lake (the only break being at the east dam.)

Nice. I never have gone that far out since there's not really anything interesting past HFL...obviously not for long.

Is it possible that we ever see a bridge over the east dam. I think its a tad strange where the dam sits. Its about 200 feet west of McClintock and half the time isn't even fully inflated since water continues upstream. So I assume that part of the lake is elevated compared to the west end?

I can't wait to see the west end complete. I wish they could have gone a tad more than 100 ft west of the pedestrian bridge, but it will look good regardless. I suppose you will be able to see the architecture of the damn which will be cool. I hope they put some LEDs on it. The colors at night make the lake look really cool and energetic.

Random..my imagination may be taking over, but it could be kind of cool to see the street car run along the lake..? Or possibly have a stop on the edge in Marina Heights and a ferry crossing lake (when the north develops).

azsunsurfer
Oct 14, 2014, 8:08 PM
I think Mesa and Tempe are looking at brining the streetcar line along Rio Salado eventually. The coordior along the lake through Tempe Marketplace and Riverview is going to be a very crucial transit link in the coming years. I thought they may have already applied for preliminary funding to do an analysis? I think the Feds require that the development be built first to better analyze if the line will be utilized or not.

PHXFlyer11
Oct 14, 2014, 8:42 PM
I was thinking the other night, we have Ash emerging as a hub of urban activity with some nice 3-4 story town homes, restaurants and senior living. Mill has long been the primary hub, but with the lakefront from Mill to Rural about to be nearly completed in the coming years, could Rio Salado bring urban develop to Rural road as a new corridor? Let me explain my reasoning....

The athletic district will create new incentives for development that stretches along and past Rural road
There is land available for development on the corners of Rural and Rio, especially when the athletic facilities are relocated or redone
The district would be accessible from the University and Rural light rail station and hopefully the street car down Rio
Lack of single family residences in the area to complain about building heights/density
Remodel of Sun-Devil Stadium

I would love for Tempe to continue to think big and have Rural road from Rio Salado to University (or even Apache) designated as another urban area for the long term. My vision would start with a few more simple ideas:

Make Rural Rd. pedestrian-friendly from University LR station down to the Rural Rd. bridge. Add landscaping, green painted bike lanes, improve medians, maybe some diagonal on-street parking, brick sidewalks, improved streetlights, shade, etc
Create another park on the bank of Town Lake under the useless, disgusting space beneath the power lines on the NE corner of Rio and Rural.
Designate development for more student housing, condos and apartments in the area W of Rural Rd, essentially along Rural and around the stadium.
Commission something unique to be built in the last remaining lot directly West of Rural on Rio Salado next to Marina Heights. Not sure what that would be, but it should be something very community oriented or public in nature. Ideas include Museum, more aquatic amenities, public pool/beach, outdoor amphitheater, etc.

Just an idea for a vision that takes us to the next 20-30 years after Mill, Ash and Rio are more fully developed that allows the continued urban growth of Tempe. I think it plays extremely well into the Athletic District vision.

I've always loved driving along the 202 and coming into Tempe, seeing the beach park along the lake. If something similar, but different could be done along Rural, it would really create an oasis in Tempe.

azsunsurfer
Oct 14, 2014, 9:21 PM
You right which is why I think Tempe has such a vested interested in this district. IF you think about it, it's the last remaining open piece of real estate without any NIMBY opposition. I think they should go all out interms of density...yet the market will dictate what actually gets built.

Jjs5056
Oct 17, 2014, 2:07 AM
The site is along the lake. Clustered between the lake (south), Gilbert Dr/College Ave alignment/marina (west), freeway (north), and Hayden Harbor development (east).

Technically, it doesn't border the lake. A piece of Hayden Habor is nestled between the two - and it would really suck if Tempe Town Lake Residential was built and Hayden Harbor built right up to that border with multi-story development given how much land they have.

I was thinking the other night, we have Ash emerging as a hub of urban activity with some nice 3-4 story town homes, restaurants and senior living. Mill has long been the primary hub, but with the lakefront from Mill to Rural about to be nearly completed in the coming years, could Rio Salado bring urban develop to Rural road as a new corridor? Let me explain my reasoning....

The athletic district will create new incentives for development that stretches along and past Rural road
There is land available for development on the corners of Rural and Rio, especially when the athletic facilities are relocated or redone
The district would be accessible from the University and Rural light rail station and hopefully the street car down Rio
Lack of single family residences in the area to complain about building heights/density
Remodel of Sun-Devil Stadium

I would love for Tempe to continue to think big and have Rural road from Rio Salado to University (or even Apache) designated as another urban area for the long term. My vision would start with a few more simple ideas:

Make Rural Rd. pedestrian-friendly from University LR station down to the Rural Rd. bridge. Add landscaping, green painted bike lanes, improve medians, maybe some diagonal on-street parking, brick sidewalks, improved streetlights, shade, etc
Create another park on the bank of Town Lake under the useless, disgusting space beneath the power lines on the NE corner of Rio and Rural.
Designate development for more student housing, condos and apartments in the area W of Rural Rd, essentially along Rural and around the stadium.
Commission something unique to be built in the last remaining lot directly West of Rural on Rio Salado next to Marina Heights. Not sure what that would be, but it should be something very community oriented or public in nature. Ideas include Museum, more aquatic amenities, public pool/beach, outdoor amphitheater, etc.

Just an idea for a vision that takes us to the next 20-30 years after Mill, Ash and Rio are more fully developed that allows the continued urban growth of Tempe. I think it plays extremely well into the Athletic District vision.

I've always loved driving along the 202 and coming into Tempe, seeing the beach park along the lake. If something similar, but different could be done along Rural, it would really create an oasis in Tempe.

I agree that more emphasis should be placed on Rural Road as an urban arterial. In the near future, it will have light rail, bus rapid transit, and street car all running along or through it in a very small, condensed area of the city.

In addition to carrying 3 modes of transportation, it's also the true N/S center of the city and is the major link between Tempe and Chandler and Scottsdale, and we're also seing urban development spreading as far east as Price Road. It would be great to start planning ahead and thinking about how roads like University, Broadway and Southern will develop from Rural > Price in the future.

I think a plan that extended from Curry through Baseline would be wise. Baseline/Rural has been designated as a hub for the Lakes region, Southern/Rural is home to the city's Library and Museum, Broadway is the major link to Fountainhead and the Buttes, Apache will only continue to grow, University > Rio Salado is part of the Stadium District, and Curry marks the transition into the south Scottdale area.

I think the road is extremely underdeveloped, especially the area around ASU, where there is mainly empty land and single-story, auto-oriented business. I hope the Golub towers on 8th eventually get built, as that would help the tone for development moving forward. I think Rural from Broadway to Rio Salado can handle a greater intensity of retail uses, but will need the increased residential density of towers like was being proposed to support it. Designating a certain area for such use will also help when it comes to making changes like adding parallel/diagonal parking, etc. 8th is also slated for a makeover to make it more pedestrian and retail-friendly, so with the LRT stop at its center, this would make a great centerpoint for Tempe.

It's too bad that the new ASU developments along Apache and Rural didn't use Vista del Sol as a model. Would've been great for all those new dorms to have had ground level uses, even if it was a mix of academic and retail. That, again, could've sparked some changes to the infrastructure and maybe led to lane reductions/parking or landscape buffers/and so on.

I see Rio/Rural as being kind of a hospitality gateway. I think one of the corners should definitely include a mixed use transit center for the future BRT and Streetcar with offices and residential. I think the parcel just east of Marina Heights need to be extemely pedestrian-focused and draw people onto the lake to take advantage of all the lake-fronting public amenities and retail. A large plaza with large lit signage showcasing the retail would be great, and there'd still be plenty of room for a signature development. A boutique hotel anchored by a state-of-the-art fitness center and museum dedicated to the Tempe sports HOF would be awesome.

University/Rural is more of the academic gateway with mixed use student housing, shopping, and classroom spaces that contain public components. Broadway/Rural could be a neighborhood gateway with more market rate housing and hopefully redeveloped neighborhood retail. Southern/Rural would be a civic gateway with the Museum, Library, and maybe a new park for that side of town, and galleries, etc. Housing would still be dense, but less high, and we'd see more townhome-type development in the area. Lastly, Baseline/Rural would be a commercial town center with heavy retail, midrise offices, retail with 1-2 stories of housing above fronting major streets, and dense townhomes on side streets.

MegaBass
Oct 17, 2014, 2:51 AM
[/LIST]

What about Rio Salado Foundation's Arizona Boathouse and Welcome Center (http://www.riosaladofoundation.org/projects/arizona-boathouse-and-welcome-center/)?

TempeSilverFox
Oct 17, 2014, 12:20 PM
The Madison Improvement Center / "Party on a Bike!" is open now on Farmer - right next to the future Culinary Dropout!
I stopped in two days ago to check it out and to grab a schedule for spin classes! It's a great space and the spin room - where they hold "Party on a Bike" is awesome! Lots of cool LED lights and an incredible sound system/DJ booth!

The staff also advised that directly next door - the vacant space to the east of Madison - there are plans to put in some sort of breakfast place!

I'm loving the development on Farmer. What a great re-imagination for that whole site.

Does anyone know what is happening to the former Sail Inn? It's definitely under construction or renovation...

Also- I checked out Delice - the new French/European Bistro behind Zips and I quite enjoyed it! The crepes, pastries and coffee are really tasty and the owner and his son are really nice.

ASUSunDevil
Oct 17, 2014, 5:11 PM
The Madison Improvement Center / "Party on a Bike!" is open now on Farmer - right next to the future Culinary Dropout!
I stopped in two days ago to check it out and to grab a schedule for spin classes! It's a great space and the spin room - where they hold "Party on a Bike" is awesome! Lots of cool LED lights and an incredible sound system/DJ booth!

The staff also advised that directly next door - the vacant space to the east of Madison - there are plans to put in some sort of breakfast place!

I'm loving the development on Farmer. What a great re-imagination for that whole site.

Does anyone know what is happening to the former Sail Inn? It's definitely under construction or renovation...

Also- I checked out Delice - the new French/European Bistro behind Zips and I quite enjoyed it! The crepes, pastries and coffee are really tasty and the owner and his son are really nice.

The Sail Inn was rumored to become The Lodge. They gutted the place and then construction kind of halted. I believe the Scottsdale location is getting demo'd for a mid-rise condo complex, thus the reason for the move.

Arquitect was right - Postinos really does change the dynamic of a neighborhood. Restaurants are flooding to College Ave - Revo Pizza, Snooze, Orange Table and now Noca:

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/2014/10/noca_closed_nocawich_tempe_wexler.php

PHXFlyer11
Oct 17, 2014, 7:22 PM
Arquitect was right - Postinos really does change the dynamic of a neighborhood. Restaurants are flooding to College Ave - Revo Pizza, Snooze, Orange Table and now Noca:

Agree completely. I just drove down college at lunch. Wow. There were more people on that street than on Mill. Really impressed. I think now we'll start to see 7th street get some momentum to connect the two.

Jjs5056
Oct 17, 2014, 9:03 PM
Any shot at redeveloping the building that currently Here on the Corner, the Cornerstore, Subway and Bookstore? Seems so out of place now that all of the other relics from that era have been torn away, and it's been surrounded by new construction.

It'd be great to bookend the block with residential. I love The Hub/UH's density, but market rate lofts over a similar retail offering (4-5 stories) would fit in nicely. I guess the vacant land is more of a concern between Mill and College. Would also be nice to see the University Towers undergo a Manzy-like modernization. The purple and gray really stand out between the Marriott, Transportation Center, and UH. Think it would be nice to see some of the ground level offices converted back to retail. With Revo going and the municipal garage filling up, it could provide a nice link to College along 5th.

I thought Hanover's garage was going to be completely covered by the apartments; was disappointed to see it's essentially side-by-side and completely exposed along 6th and Maple. :( Miss opportunity with the retail under W6.

PHXFlyer11
Oct 17, 2014, 10:18 PM
Any shot at redeveloping the building that currently Here on the Corner, the Cornerstore, Subway and Bookstore? Seems so out of place now that all of the other relics from that era have been torn away, and it's been surrounded by new construction.

Really? You should've seen the crowds at those places today. I thought it really brought a ton of life and some character to College, along with the Nueman Church. I mean maybe you could build a tower behind it, but I appreciate the way it is now. I don't like too many modern building all together. I think those shops bring some charm.