PDA

View Full Version : Tempe Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117

Classical in Phoenix
Jul 22, 2021, 7:31 PM
Tempe is sending out an RFP to build an arena for the Coyotes and an entertainment complex at Priest and Rio Salado.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2021/07/22/arizona-coyotes-talks-tempe-new-arena/8052304002/?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&cid=twitter_azcentral

The arena and entertainment district would be privately funded. Tempe would pay remediation costs for the site: +/- $70M.

ASU Diablo
Jul 22, 2021, 8:14 PM
Tempe is sending out an RFP to build an arena for the Coyotes and an entertainment complex at Priest and Rio Salado.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2021/07/22/arizona-coyotes-talks-tempe-new-arena/8052304002/?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&cid=twitter_azcentral

The arena and entertainment district would be privately funded. Tempe would pay remediation costs for the site: +/- $70M.

Wow pretty big news! Sucks not close to existing light rail though. Should they be having discussions about possibly extending street car that far out west now?

PHXFlyer11
Jul 22, 2021, 9:25 PM
Wow pretty big news! Sucks not close to existing light rail though. Should they be having discussions about possibly extending street car that far out west now?

That would be great! I think they'd definitely have this as part of the plan.

Mr.RE
Jul 22, 2021, 9:36 PM
Can't access the article. Is this on the NW corner of that intersection?

Diamonddave
Jul 22, 2021, 9:40 PM

Awesome would be nice to to have the Coyotes back in the east valley where they belong.:)

PHXFlyer11
Jul 22, 2021, 11:12 PM
I assume there is no chance of expanding the lack west if this is built?

The damn dam cost I think would be cost prohibitive, no? But street car and lake expansion would be unbelievably awesome.

xymox
Jul 23, 2021, 1:55 AM

The damn dam cost I think would be cost prohibitive, no? But street car and lake expansion would be unbelievably awesome.

This article has a bit more info and isn't paywalled:

https://arizonasports.com/story/2735354/coyotes-highly-interested-in-tempe-space-that-could-hold-new-arena/

Interesting that this is directly across the street of the new Carvana Campus that's going up....

PHXFlyer11
Jul 23, 2021, 3:16 PM
This article has a bit more info and isn't paywalled:

https://arizonasports.com/story/2735354/coyotes-highly-interested-in-tempe-space-that-could-hold-new-arena/

Interesting that this is directly across the street of the new Carvana Campus that's going up....

Maybe it will end up the "Carvana Center"?

So it sounds like mainly this was Tempe being proactive and not necessarily, initially a collaboration with the Coyotes. Smart, atleast from an optics standpoint.

Good location close to freeway access. I thought Tempe would be off limits once the ASU Hockey deal died, so very glad to hear this.

I think the one challenge Tempe will have is that you have Mill ave. which is/was a bit more authentic, then you have what I image similar to this "entertainment district" in Tempe Marketplace. So how do you differentiate? You probably honestly need to go less entertainment and more commercial. I think a mix of new office development, a hotel or two and some bars and restaurants would seem to be the right mix. Maybe Tempe can lure a sports company to HQ there or atleast open a large office.

RichTempe
Jul 23, 2021, 9:59 PM
Maybe it will end up the "Carvana Center"?

So it sounds like mainly this was Tempe being proactive and not necessarily, initially a collaboration with the Coyotes. Smart, atleast from an optics standpoint.

Good location close to freeway access. I thought Tempe would be off limits once the ASU Hockey deal died, so very glad to hear this.

I think the one challenge Tempe will have is that you have Mill ave. which is/was a bit more authentic, then you have what I image similar to this "entertainment district" in Tempe Marketplace. So how do you differentiate? You probably honestly need to go less entertainment and more commercial. I think a mix of new office development, a hotel or two and some bars and restaurants would seem to be the right mix. Maybe Tempe can lure a sports company to HQ there or atleast open a large office.

This would be directly next to the I.D.E.A. office complex which is currently under construction. It's an 18-acre, 1 million sq. ft. project including five commercial buildings with restaurant and retail space, two parking structures, as well as a 40,000 sq. ft. of art rehearsal and classroom space. There are already a couple of hotels on the west side of Priest from this location, although nothing fancy, just a Hyatt Place and Springhill Suites, both 6 stories tall. There is vacant land for additional development in the area as well.

Link to I.D.E.A. info: https://www.tempe.gov/government/economic-development/locate-in-tempe/idea-tempe

CB1
Jul 25, 2021, 6:43 PM
https://i.imgur.com/itug7wi.jpg
Culdesac

CB1
Jul 25, 2021, 6:44 PM
https://i.imgur.com/QZP12fl.jpg
Park Place

CB1
Jul 25, 2021, 6:45 PM
https://i.imgur.com/4TELx0N.jpg

CB1
Jul 25, 2021, 6:47 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ZZMLAkq.jpg
Vib

CB1
Jul 25, 2021, 6:47 PM
https://i.imgur.com/wODLMSS.jpg

The Beam

combusean
Jul 26, 2021, 4:19 AM

I asked them in 2012 when they replaced the dams and about the ponds to the east that pollute the water quality and got this in response. I get that there's no appetite to expand the lake west. They still haven't drained the ponds nine years later, which irritates me every time I think about it.

In reply, the 100 foot extension to the lake is a result of finding the best location to construct the steel hinge gate within the river channel while preserving the required area to convey the flow of flood waters when needed. Additionally, the intent of our project was to replace the existing rubber bladder dam system with a more permanent dam system. Expanding the lake further west dramatically changes the scope of the project from a dam replacement project to a lake expansion project which would include significant regulatory review by the Army Corps of Engineers, County Flood Control, FEMA and others. Lake expansion was never the intent of the project. On a practical level, if the lake were expanded to Priest Drive, because of the evaluation and grade of the river bed, the dam need to be about 27 feet tall.

Regarding the east pond, we are studying and considering constructing a bypass pipe that would allow waters from the east side of the lake to flow past the lake to the west side of the lake, then flow through the river into Phoenix. We will be examining this closely in the next few months.

Ttown5
Jul 27, 2021, 5:21 PM
Omni pouring concrete and looks like they are going to be putting up some of the first pillar structures today. Rebar is being constructed and there is a concrete truck pouring foundational pieces. I do not have the most experience in construction, but this has been an odd start to the project as everything at this point is at ground level. Is there no underground parking being done on this hotel? Maybe that will come later... not sure. Mirabella has substantial underground work done for the project in its initial phases.

muertecaza
Jul 27, 2021, 5:36 PM
Omni pouring concrete and looks like they are going to be putting up some of the first pillar structures today. Rebar is being constructed and there is a concrete truck pouring foundational pieces. I do not have the most experience in construction, but this has been an odd start to the project as everything at this point is at ground level. Is there no underground parking being done on this hotel? Maybe that will come later... not sure. Mirabella has substantial underground work done for the project in its initial phases.

I don't know whether the construction is typical, but this project has no parking on site--it's just hotel and conference center. Parking will be in a separate parking structure ASU is building south of the hotel and south of 9th St.

combusean
Jul 27, 2021, 6:03 PM
ASU is building a 1,200 space garage somewhere and Omni has 275 spaces of that. Have no idea where the garage is going to be.

CBar
Jul 27, 2021, 9:53 PM
ASU is building a 1,200 space garage somewhere and Omni has 275 spaces of that. Have no idea where the garage is going to be.

It is mentioned in https://www.tempe.gov/home/showpublisheddocument/60837/636513488187300000: "An adjacent parking facility will be constructed by Arizona State University and up to 275 spaces in the parking facility will be allocated to parking for the Omni Hotel and Conference Center. "

See also slide 5 of https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=70880 .

The following from https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/arizona-state-university-omni-hotels-mark-brnovich-28-million-investment-11267674 shows the location of where the parking garage will come up.

https://images1.phoenixnewtimes.com/imager/u/original/11268107/screen_shot_2019-04-03_at_6.40.35_pm.png

CB1
Jul 28, 2021, 2:19 AM
Thank you CBar for the info. Although I’m excited about Omni I just don’t get why they would use so much space on the ballrooms and not build another tower on top of it. Seems like wasted space in a prime area. But I’ll take it.

Ttown5
Jul 28, 2021, 6:26 PM
Omni project update: Dug a rather large square pit yesterday, now filling with cement as a base, maybe ten ft deep, approx. 30 ft by 30 feet looks to be around where the tower part of the structure will be near the elevator shafts.
Will update this week on progress.

(Still not sure how to post photos so if anyone knows how to add them let me know, or I can send them over email to someone who knows how to upload them)

CBar
Jul 28, 2021, 9:41 PM
(Still not sure how to post photos so if anyone knows how to add them let me know, or I can send them over email to someone who knows how to upload them)

You need to upload the images to somewhere in the web where you can get an URL for that image and then use the image icon in the editor and enter the URL of your image. One place in the web where many upload images is https://imgur.com/ . Hope this helps.

combusean
Jul 28, 2021, 10:16 PM
Thank you CBar for the info. Although I’m excited about Omni I just don’t get why they would use so much space on the ballrooms and not build another tower on top of it. Seems like wasted space in a prime area. But I’ll take it.

They need it for conference space, and having that stuff with lots of columns is no fun.

I'm more concerned about building a potential blank wall on Mill, but that ship looks like it has sailed.

CB1
Jul 28, 2021, 10:22 PM
I didn’t even think about all the columns. Lol! Thanks Combusean. Hopefully Hilo starts soon as well.

plinko
Jul 28, 2021, 10:32 PM
Anybody know what will be going on the leftover portion of the block south of Omni and its loading dock to 9th Street? It's fairly narrow and a perfect place for another hotel tower to link in.

Ttown5
Jul 28, 2021, 11:52 PM
Omni from a few days ago

link: https://imgur.com/a/FTnwSzo

Omni today 7/28

link: https://imgur.com/AA6SoY3

azsunsurfer
Jul 29, 2021, 2:56 PM
The pit looks like where the tower crane will be mounted.

Anyway isn't the rest of the block slated for:

-New ASU parking garage
-New student housing development
-New office/ classroom/ retail building frontin' Mill?

Mr.RE
Jul 29, 2021, 3:39 PM
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2021/07/29/14-story-office-building-near-tempe-beach-park.html?utm_source=st&utm_medium=en&utm_campaign=bn&utm_content=ph&ana=e_ph_bn&j=24591679&senddate=2021-07-29

Hines, the co-developer of the speculative, Class A office development 100 Mill in Tempe, is planning a new, smaller office development down the street, near Tempe Beach Park.

The project, called 250 Rio, is the next chapter in the firm’s “Tempe story,” said Brandon Dillingham, managing director of Hines in Phoenix.

“We have noticed a flight to quality,” Dillingham said of where office momentum has been since the Covid-19 pandemic. “Employers want to be in the best locations.”

Hines first had the site under contract about a year and a half ago, he said, but progress stalled during the pandemic. In total, the site includes about two acres at Ash Avenue and Rio Salado Parkway. The firm is planning to develop a 14-story office tower with about 190,000 square feet of office space, as well as ground-floor flexible commercial space that could accommodate retail or restaurants, according to documents submitted to the city of Tempe.

“The project is a unique opportunity to make a significant statement along Rio Salado Parkway (a main gateway into downtown Tempe) with the introduction of a modern, mixed-use office tower that will increase the commercial office and retail /restaurant mix within the Downtown Tempe District while also celebrating and activating the historic Ash Avenue roadbed,” Manjula Vaz, attorney with Gammage & Burnham representing Hines wrote in a letter to the city.

Focus on historic elements
The site is unique, in shape and function, Dillingham said. It is adjacent to the Old Ash Avenue alignment, which is designated historic. Hines plans to rehabilitate the historic road and enhance the area, which includes the bridge that overlooks Tempe Beach Park. Dillingham said there could be an opportunity to create a veterans’ memorial there. The building’s proximity to Tempe Beach Park will be part of Hines’ marketing efforts, focusing on the outdoor amenities and activities that go on in the park.

Hines has experience with historic preservation in Tempe. The firm’s other major project, 100 Mill, included the preservation of the Hayden House, which was required to be rehabilitated to its 1924 condition. Amazon and Deloitte have already signed large leases at 100 Mill, which will complete construction in December.

“Hines looks for unique, special sites,” Dillingham said, adding that the rehabilitation of Old Ash Avenue was among the projects the city has planned to do but has not had the opportunity to address. “This has brought some of these things to the forefront.”

The project will go through entitlements and all horizontal improvements, like relocating a gas line and other remediation, on a speculative basis, Dillingham said, but the firm will seek tenants to commit to office space before the building itself begins construction.

The utility relocation and other civil improvements will take about a year, and will begin as soon as the project gets zoning approval from the city, so construction on the actual building will likely begin in fall of 2022, he said.

Tempe has remained one of the hottest submarkets in the Valley for office space, and Dillingham said he expects this building could have the benefit of being on the western side of Mill Avenue, where there can be accumulation of traffic. He said as more employees commute into Tempe, he expects drivers might use Priest Drive as an alternative, with easier access to the building.

Hines has chosen Jerry Roberts and Pay Boyle of Cushman & Wakefield as leasing brokers for the project.

PHXFlyer11
Jul 29, 2021, 3:57 PM
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2021/07/29/14-story-office-building-near-tempe-beach-park.html?utm_source=st&utm_medium=en&utm_campaign=bn&utm_content=ph&ana=e_ph_bn&j=24591679&senddate=2021-07-29

Hines, the co-developer of the speculative, Class A office development 100 Mill in Tempe, is planning a new, smaller office development down the street, near Tempe Beach Park.

The project, called 250 Rio, is the next chapter in the firm’s “Tempe story,” said Brandon Dillingham, managing director of Hines in Phoenix.

“We have noticed a flight to quality,” Dillingham said of where office momentum has been since the Covid-19 pandemic. “Employers want to be in the best locations.”

Hines first had the site under contract about a year and a half ago, he said, but progress stalled during the pandemic. In total, the site includes about two acres at Ash Avenue and Rio Salado Parkway. The firm is planning to develop a 14-story office tower with about 190,000 square feet of office space, as well as ground-floor flexible commercial space that could accommodate retail or restaurants, according to documents submitted to the city of Tempe.

“The project is a unique opportunity to make a significant statement along Rio Salado Parkway (a main gateway into downtown Tempe) with the introduction of a modern, mixed-use office tower that will increase the commercial office and retail /restaurant mix within the Downtown Tempe District while also celebrating and activating the historic Ash Avenue roadbed,” Manjula Vaz, attorney with Gammage & Burnham representing Hines wrote in a letter to the city.

Focus on historic elements
The site is unique, in shape and function, Dillingham said. It is adjacent to the Old Ash Avenue alignment, which is designated historic. Hines plans to rehabilitate the historic road and enhance the area, which includes the bridge that overlooks Tempe Beach Park. Dillingham said there could be an opportunity to create a veterans’ memorial there. The building’s proximity to Tempe Beach Park will be part of Hines’ marketing efforts, focusing on the outdoor amenities and activities that go on in the park.

Hines has experience with historic preservation in Tempe. The firm’s other major project, 100 Mill, included the preservation of the Hayden House, which was required to be rehabilitated to its 1924 condition. Amazon and Deloitte have already signed large leases at 100 Mill, which will complete construction in December.

“Hines looks for unique, special sites,” Dillingham said, adding that the rehabilitation of Old Ash Avenue was among the projects the city has planned to do but has not had the opportunity to address. “This has brought some of these things to the forefront.”

The project will go through entitlements and all horizontal improvements, like relocating a gas line and other remediation, on a speculative basis, Dillingham said, but the firm will seek tenants to commit to office space before the building itself begins construction.

The utility relocation and other civil improvements will take about a year, and will begin as soon as the project gets zoning approval from the city, so construction on the actual building will likely begin in fall of 2022, he said.

Tempe has remained one of the hottest submarkets in the Valley for office space, and Dillingham said he expects this building could have the benefit of being on the western side of Mill Avenue, where there can be accumulation of traffic. He said as more employees commute into Tempe, he expects drivers might use Priest Drive as an alternative, with easier access to the building.

Hines has chosen Jerry Roberts and Pay Boyle of Cushman & Wakefield as leasing brokers for the project.

THIS. is amazing! Is this the current beach park parking lot? This truly will make an amazing entrance into Tempe, greeting people coming down Rio, the train and from the freeway!

Diamonddave
Jul 29, 2021, 5:07 PM
It's nice to know that Hines is a respectable developer that the city of Tempe is doing business with. Which we could say the same for Phoenix.

ASU Diablo
Jul 29, 2021, 5:18 PM
It's nice to know that Hines is a respectable developer that the city of Tempe is doing business with. Which we could say the same for Phoenix.

No kidding. The Hyatt Parking Garage RFP would’ve probably broken ground by now. City of Phoenix needs to learn and take some cues from the City of Tempe it seems like.

Hopefully the City can redeem themselves, put this RFP out again, and just award the damn thing to Hines already

CrestedSaguaro
Jul 29, 2021, 5:24 PM

No kidding! The missed Hyatt Garage RFP (which would have probably started by now) and the proposed entertainment district that Phoenix put the brakes on. I question the sanity of Phoenix City Council sometimes. :koko:

RichTempe
Jul 29, 2021, 5:38 PM
THIS. is amazing! Is this the current beach park parking lot? This truly will make an amazing entrance into Tempe, greeting people coming down Rio, the train and from the freeway!

It's where the old Penny Saver building is located as well as the lot around it (just south of the Tempe Beach lot).

PHXFlyer11
Jul 29, 2021, 6:19 PM
It's where the old Penny Saver building is located as well as the lot around it (just south of the Tempe Beach lot).

This is truly a dream project. I cannot wait to see the renderings. Amazing when small odd parcels like this begin to develop in to towers.

azsunsurfer
Jul 29, 2021, 6:31 PM
I wish they could develop the open space in front of the ADP/ US Airways building across the street with something frontin' Rio Salado. Don't get me started on the garage behind....with Tempe Depot it's going to be a patchwork of pedestrian experiences in that area in the next few years....

azsunsurfer
Jul 29, 2021, 6:35 PM
There's a rendering of the Hines building in the Phoenix Biz Journal but it's hard to tell the perspective of it?

PHXFlyer11
Jul 29, 2021, 7:00 PM
There's a rendering of the Hines building in the Phoenix Biz Journal but it's hard to tell the perspective of it?

It's just the ground level view right? Doesn't show much unless there's another one in the paid article.

combusean
Jul 29, 2021, 8:10 PM
The RFP process clouds development, for all we know Berger could still be in negotiations. The RFP process also involves a lot of formulaic crap that is designed to maximize financial return for Phoenix, which nearly by definition excludes great design.

If Hines wanted to build a nice project on a privately-owned parcel in Phoenix without government assistance, like they're doing here, they could.

But knowing this forum people would complain about a 14 story project as being too short in Phoenix.

ASU Diablo
Jul 29, 2021, 8:11 PM
The RFP process clouds development, for all we know Berger could still be in negotiations. The RFP process also involves a lot of formulaic crap that is designed to maximize financial return for Phoenix, which nearly by definition excludes great design.

If Hines wanted to build a nice project on a privately-owned parcel in Phoenix without government assistance, like they're doing here, they could.

Berger is out already and confirmed by someone in the City

azliam
Jul 29, 2021, 11:35 PM
Berger is out already and confirmed by someone in the City

Correct. As of early June, the Regency Garage RFP was recently canceled. The city has no current plans to re-issue that RFP.

Ttown5
Jul 30, 2021, 12:11 AM
omni tempe update:

https://imgur.com/iB8eMXW

Classical in Phoenix
Jul 30, 2021, 4:53 PM
omni tempe update:

https://imgur.com/iB8eMXW

Great pics!

azsunsurfer
Jul 30, 2021, 5:11 PM
That block with the Pita Jungle, Jack N the Box and the Wells Fargo office building needs to be redeveloped.

soled
Jul 30, 2021, 11:44 PM
Great pics!

I'm only seeing a single pic. What am I missing?

Classical in Phoenix
Jul 31, 2021, 1:55 AM
I'm only seeing a single pic. What am I missing?

Sorry, bad on my part. There is only 1 pic here. I was referring to this and a couple Ttown 5 had posted earlier, and didn't make that clear.

skiesthelimit
Jul 31, 2021, 2:39 AM
That block with the Pita Jungle, Jack N the Box and the Wells Fargo office building needs to be redeveloped.

Unfortunately, Jack N Box went through a reno/modernization in ~late 2019 if my memory serves me correctly so I don't believe they'll be going anywhere, at least not anytime soon. Pita Jungle & Wells Fargo I think have a good chance of being surfaced for something else.

I also didn't get a chance to grab a pic and unsure if anyone mentioned but Tempe Depot is moving dirt and has machinery on site. I think by the end of the year we'll have 3 cranes in Tempe again.

exit2lef
Jul 31, 2021, 2:48 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Jack in the Box makes more money from towing cars illegally parked there than from food sales.

combusean
Jul 31, 2021, 4:25 AM
Wexford bought that dumb Tempe Town Centre building some years ago. That is much more likely to get demo'd as i think there's a height limit on parcels fronting Mill itself, but I could be wrong about that. It's decently sized too.

RichTempe
Jul 31, 2021, 7:42 AM
Wexford bought that dumb Tempe Town Centre building some years ago. That is much more likely to get demo'd as i think there's a height limit on parcels fronting Mill itself, but I could be wrong about that. It's decently sized too.

Hilo will front Mill just north of the Jack on the Box at a max height of 136'. It does have step backs, so the part right on Mill is ~60' or so.

https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=76307

The Tempe Development website shows that plans are approved and it's in review for a building permit. Not sure how long it's been in that status though.

IIRC Jack in the Box owns the land it's on and is planning on sitting on it for a while.

IndyAZ
Jul 31, 2021, 4:59 PM
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51347097252_e3796ea8fb_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2meni7d)Pier Progress July 2021 (https://flic.kr/p/2meni7d) by Andrew Valestin (https://www.flickr.com/photos/193102311@N07/), on Flickr
Pier Progress from yesterday.

soled
Jul 31, 2021, 5:26 PM
Sorry, bad on my part. There is only 1 pic here. I was referring to this and a couple Ttown 5 had posted earlier, and didn't make that clear.

No worries, man. But I did spend a couple of minutes trying to relearn navigating Imgur so I could find the other pics before I came back to ask the question, haha

Mr.RE
Aug 2, 2021, 3:17 PM
When the pier is finished in 10 years, I think it will be my favorite high rise building in all of Phoenix. THOSE ROUNDED CORNERS :worship:

Diamonddave
Aug 2, 2021, 3:39 PM
When the pier is finished in 10 years, I think it will be my favorite high rise building in all of Phoenix. THOSE ROUNDED CORNERS :worship:

Ten years sounds about right RE two years per floor LOL

phoenixwillrise
Aug 2, 2021, 3:41 PM
Maybe the guy can adopt a few more adult children who are contractors and cut it down to 6-7 years.

locolife
Aug 2, 2021, 5:43 PM
At least having a Tempe crane count of 1 is safe for a few years to come. :)

PHXFlyer11
Aug 2, 2021, 7:26 PM
So originally they were building one tower first. This seems to confirm that both towers will be built, which is a huge win, because their pace the second tower would probably never be built it not included now.

Mr.RE
Aug 2, 2021, 8:07 PM
The Carvana building is set for final City Council Approval this thursday and 250 Rio (Hines Office) is set for a Plat approval that same day. We may see both of these get going rather quickly post approvals.

muertecaza
Aug 2, 2021, 11:06 PM
So originally they were building one tower first. This seems to confirm that both towers will be built, which is a huge win, because their pace the second tower would probably never be built it not included now.

The original plans were always to build the base and one tower as the first phase, so I don't think we can say yet necessarily where they stand on the second tower.

IndyAZ
Aug 2, 2021, 11:37 PM
The original plans were always to build the base and one tower as the first phase, so I don't think we can say yet necessarily where they stand on the second tower.

I think based on the photo and seeing the steel cages for the columns extend past the 6th floor deck, that at a minimum they are building the 5 floor podium for the West tower. Whether they continue and build the full tower or just cap them there for now and build the tower later, its hard to say. In the next few weeks as progress continues I guess we will get our answer...

vintur
Aug 3, 2021, 3:42 PM
Interesting angle/view of Novus from the Multi-purpose area cam:

https://i.imgur.com/97z8Jpu.jpg

Also the interior of the arena under construction:

https://i.imgur.com/mRLjtn1.png

muertecaza
Aug 3, 2021, 5:49 PM
Good Novus pictures from their twitter account:

https://i.imgur.com/qlu9ghDh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/y7mAO0Uh.jpg

https://twitter.com/NovusASU

azsunsurfer
Aug 9, 2021, 5:23 PM
Not the biggest news from this weekend but it looks like the Fountainhead Park Summit looks like it has broken ground? Saw a water tank and equipment on site. Originally it was going to be a 14 story office tower but now its suppose to be a 4 story building with a parking garage.

A sign has been posted stating the I-10 Broadway curve project is suppose to last thru November of 2024.....

Also the tennis courts next to Novus has fencing around it. Seems like their demolition is eminent for the next phase of the ground development for Novus?

muertecaza
Aug 9, 2021, 9:04 PM
Pictures around Tempe in the past week or so.

Vib
https://i.imgur.com/PKczvZoh.jpg

Beam
https://i.imgur.com/hAcv59Rh.jpg

100 Mill
https://i.imgur.com/wMUT9Xzh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/L3KMXkUh.jpg

Omni
https://i.imgur.com/faZf8lWh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/R8dpIpUh.jpg

muertecaza
Aug 9, 2021, 9:07 PM
Virtual tour of the ASU Hocky Arena:

r2PdSGmI3lY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2PdSGmI3lY

xymox
Aug 9, 2021, 11:21 PM
How tall was Omni to be again? Was it 20 stories too? Any updated renderings?

combusean
Aug 9, 2021, 11:55 PM
Omni info is here... 16 stories, 178'.

https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=70880

BurjKhalifa2Builder
Aug 10, 2021, 8:48 PM
Virtual tour of the ASU Hocky Arena:

r2PdSGmI3lY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2PdSGmI3lY

What was the seating capacity going to be for the arena? I remember when they were going to partner with the Coyotes and they said they wanted one with 6k seats

phoenixwillrise
Aug 11, 2021, 2:41 PM
what was the seating capacity going to be for the arena? I remember when they were going to partner with the coyotes and they said they wanted one with 6k seats

BurjKhalifa2Builder
Aug 13, 2021, 4:43 PM

This is gonna be so nice. ASU hockey games are great and I'm sure they'll be able to hit capacity on a regular basis when they're playing well.

BurjKhalifa2Builder
Aug 13, 2021, 5:50 PM
This is gonna be so nice. ASU hockey games are great and I'm sure they'll be able to hit capacity on a regular basis when they're playing well.

For reference, most of the D1 hockey teams have a capacity around 4-7k and average about 3k attendance. North Dakota is a monster though and averaged 11k per game.

Mr.RE
Aug 13, 2021, 7:55 PM
For reference, most of the D1 hockey teams have a capacity around 4-7k and average about 3k attendance. North Dakota is a monster though and averaged 11k per game.

Maybe because there is nothing else to do in North Dakota :haha:

BurjKhalifa2Builder
Aug 17, 2021, 9:21 PM
Didn't get a picture today, but the walls are up for the first of the Culdesac buildings

muertecaza
Aug 17, 2021, 10:25 PM
Crane is up for The Beam

https://i.imgur.com/NCTs25Qh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rFPA0Guh.jpg

ASU Diablo
Aug 18, 2021, 6:22 PM
Behind a paywall. Highlights anyone??

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2021/08/18/major-office-apartments-next-at-asu-novus-corridor.html

DesertRay
Aug 18, 2021, 7:16 PM
Behind a paywall. Highlights anyone??

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2021/08/18/major-office-apartments-next-at-asu-novus-corridor.html

Over 600K square feet of office, apartments among next projects at ASU's Novus corridor

The Novus Innovation Corridor, which will eventually include 355 acres of mixed-use development on the northeast side of Arizona State University’s Tempe campus, is well into the third phase of development, and several new buildings are going to start taking shape soon in the corridor.

At a luncheon Monday hosted by AZCREW, Brian Kearney, first vice president of development for Catellus, the master developer of Novus, said some of the buildings in the third phase have been completed or are nearing completion, and several others will begin construction within the next few quarters.

Novus is university-owned land designated as ASU’s athletic facilities district. Instead of paying property taxes, developments in Novus pay fees to ASU that will fund upgraded athletics facilities. The first two phases of Novus, the Marina Heights office development and the Sun Devil Stadium renovation, are already completed.

Office, retail complex

One of the next buildings to begin construction will be an apartment complex developed by Transwestern, which is planned to have about 200 “micro-units,” the majority of which will be studios, Kearney said. The six-story building is planned to begin construction in early 2022 and will be located southeast of Desert Financial Arena. The building is expected to be completed in mid-2024.
Catellus is also planning to develop an office building in Novus, called 700 Novus Place. The office is planned to include 147,500 square feet of office space and 11,500 square feet of ground floor retail. Kearney said Catellus is waiting to begin construction to secure a prelease for half of the building, but construction on the six-story office will likely start in early 2022.

The first commercial office building in the third phase, the 777 Tower, was developed by Ryan Cos. and was completed in 2020. The office building is nearly fully leased, with one floor remaining vacant. The office is due east of where Catellus is planning the 700 Novus Place building. The building also has ground-floor retail space, but a tenant has not yet been announced for the space.
The Piedmont apartment complex, located 707 E. 6th Street, is also nearing completion, with the first tenants already moving into the building on August 13, Kearney said. The building will be completed by December, and also includes 20,000 square feet of ground-floor retail.

The ground-floor retail space within the Novus Innovation Corridor will be concentrated around Novus Place, a new road that will run north and south parallel to Rural Road from University Drive to Third Street. The goal of the retail area is to create a walkable, main street district, Kearney said.

Teale Bloom, associate vice president at Phoenix Commercial Advisors and one of the leasing brokers for the retail space, said many of the tenants she and her team are working with are new to market.

About 70% of the retail tenants in the district will be restaurants, she said, and there are already letters of intent in place for most of the district’s key locations.
The retail district will be adjacent to ASU's hockey and multisport arena that is already under construction in Novus, which is being developed by Mortenson Construction. The $115 million arena is being constructed south of Rio Salado Parkway, east of Packard Drive and immediately north of the Packard Drive parking structure.

Planning fourth phase

Outside of the retail district, Kearney said Catellus has identified a developer for a 340-unit apartment complex on the east side of Rural Road on Sixth Street, on a site that is currently a practice field for sports. Construction on that site is expected to begin at the end of 2022, and Kearney said Catellus had “great success” when it went to the market to solicit proposals from developers.
Catellus and ASU have also begun working with Wentworth Property Co. on the fourth phase of Novus, which will include lower-rise, creative office buildings, and will be built on the former Karsten Golf Course, Kearney said. The parcel on the farthest east portion of the site is bordered by APS’s Ocotillo Power Plant and is planned to be the first location for development on the former golf course. The parcel is planned to include 450,000 to 500,000 square feet of creative office, in three- or four-story buildings. Construction on that phase is expected to begin in the fourth quarter of 2021, with planned completion in the beginning of 2023.
According to ASU’s Seidman Research Institute, 33,734 jobs are expected to be created through 2035 through office, hotel, apartment and retail operations in Novus, as well as 2,000 temporary construction jobs. At completion, there will be more than 10 million square feet of office, hotels, apartments, retail and restaurants in the Novus corridor.

Plans at full buildout include about 4,100 total apartment units, 1,000 hotel rooms and 275,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space.

“Development within the Novus Innovation Corridor aligns with our vision of being the leading American center for innovation and entrepreneurship at all levels,” Michael Crow, president of ASU, said in a statement. “The benefits to our students, faculty, the university, the city of Tempe and the business community are already being felt – and they will only increase as other visionaries construct new buildings and facilities to provide opportunities within Novus’ framework.”

PHXFlyer11
Aug 19, 2021, 5:26 PM
Over 600K square feet of office, apartments among next projects at ASU's Novus corridor

The Novus Innovation Corridor, which will eventually include 355 acres of mixed-use development on the northeast side of Arizona State University’s Tempe campus, is well into the third phase of development, and several new buildings are going to start taking shape soon in the corridor.

At a luncheon Monday hosted by AZCREW, Brian Kearney, first vice president of development for Catellus, the master developer of Novus, said some of the buildings in the third phase have been completed or are nearing completion, and several others will begin construction within the next few quarters.

Novus is university-owned land designated as ASU’s athletic facilities district. Instead of paying property taxes, developments in Novus pay fees to ASU that will fund upgraded athletics facilities. The first two phases of Novus, the Marina Heights office development and the Sun Devil Stadium renovation, are already completed.

Office, retail complex

One of the next buildings to begin construction will be an apartment complex developed by Transwestern, which is planned to have about 200 “micro-units,” the majority of which will be studios, Kearney said. The six-story building is planned to begin construction in early 2022 and will be located southeast of Desert Financial Arena. The building is expected to be completed in mid-2024.
Catellus is also planning to develop an office building in Novus, called 700 Novus Place. The office is planned to include 147,500 square feet of office space and 11,500 square feet of ground floor retail. Kearney said Catellus is waiting to begin construction to secure a prelease for half of the building, but construction on the six-story office will likely start in early 2022.

The first commercial office building in the third phase, the 777 Tower, was developed by Ryan Cos. and was completed in 2020. The office building is nearly fully leased, with one floor remaining vacant. The office is due east of where Catellus is planning the 700 Novus Place building. The building also has ground-floor retail space, but a tenant has not yet been announced for the space.
The Piedmont apartment complex, located 707 E. 6th Street, is also nearing completion, with the first tenants already moving into the building on August 13, Kearney said. The building will be completed by December, and also includes 20,000 square feet of ground-floor retail.

The ground-floor retail space within the Novus Innovation Corridor will be concentrated around Novus Place, a new road that will run north and south parallel to Rural Road from University Drive to Third Street. The goal of the retail area is to create a walkable, main street district, Kearney said.

Teale Bloom, associate vice president at Phoenix Commercial Advisors and one of the leasing brokers for the retail space, said many of the tenants she and her team are working with are new to market.

About 70% of the retail tenants in the district will be restaurants, she said, and there are already letters of intent in place for most of the district’s key locations.
The retail district will be adjacent to ASU's hockey and multisport arena that is already under construction in Novus, which is being developed by Mortenson Construction. The $115 million arena is being constructed south of Rio Salado Parkway, east of Packard Drive and immediately north of the Packard Drive parking structure.

Planning fourth phase

Outside of the retail district, Kearney said Catellus has identified a developer for a 340-unit apartment complex on the east side of Rural Road on Sixth Street, on a site that is currently a practice field for sports. Construction on that site is expected to begin at the end of 2022, and Kearney said Catellus had “great success” when it went to the market to solicit proposals from developers.
Catellus and ASU have also begun working with Wentworth Property Co. on the fourth phase of Novus, which will include lower-rise, creative office buildings, and will be built on the former Karsten Golf Course, Kearney said. The parcel on the farthest east portion of the site is bordered by APS’s Ocotillo Power Plant and is planned to be the first location for development on the former golf course. The parcel is planned to include 450,000 to 500,000 square feet of creative office, in three- or four-story buildings. Construction on that phase is expected to begin in the fourth quarter of 2021, with planned completion in the beginning of 2023.
According to ASU’s Seidman Research Institute, 33,734 jobs are expected to be created through 2035 through office, hotel, apartment and retail operations in Novus, as well as 2,000 temporary construction jobs. At completion, there will be more than 10 million square feet of office, hotels, apartments, retail and restaurants in the Novus corridor.

Plans at full buildout include about 4,100 total apartment units, 1,000 hotel rooms and 275,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space.

“Development within the Novus Innovation Corridor aligns with our vision of being the leading American center for innovation and entrepreneurship at all levels,” Michael Crow, president of ASU, said in a statement. “The benefits to our students, faculty, the university, the city of Tempe and the business community are already being felt – and they will only increase as other visionaries construct new buildings and facilities to provide opportunities within Novus’ framework.”

So basically nothing over 6 stories. LAME.

combusean
Aug 19, 2021, 5:36 PM
They have lots of things over 6 stories planned...

https://www.novusasu.com/plan/

Mr.RE
Aug 19, 2021, 9:25 PM
a few photos from this week. Love the canyon forming on 7th street.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51389125721_85ddcfb0e0_z.jpg

Atmosphere complete, I think it looks nice. Great garage paneling.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51389125736_4b5f1b3617_z.jpg

Omni out of the ground
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51388366252_2dd2c45efe_z.jpg

Diamonddave
Aug 19, 2021, 10:05 PM
Nice pics RE, Tempe is just getting more dense

vintur
Aug 20, 2021, 3:58 PM
Speaking of density, it seems like most of the open space around Tempe beach park is now spoken for.

Has anyone heard any thing regarding the Tempe Mill redevelopment or the triangular lots adjacent to Mission Palms? I would think with the Streetcar stop on that side developers would soon propose infill there.

https://i.imgur.com/EUjwJK5.jpg

combusean
Aug 20, 2021, 8:46 PM
The triangular lot adjacent to Mission Palms is their parking lot.

I have not received word that Hell has frozen over therefore there's nothing on the Mill.

muertecaza
Aug 20, 2021, 10:57 PM
The triangular lot adjacent to Mission Palms is their parking lot.

I have not received word that Hell has frozen over therefore there's nothing on the Mill.

:haha::haha:

They are putting up a fence around the Mill right now to minimize vandalism, so yeah I don't think anything is happening.

azsunsurfer
Aug 23, 2021, 2:59 PM
I also would like to know if the squatter's site has anything in the works for it?

Also the lot across the street from the Depot had a huge mixed use project planned for it a few years back with 2 or 3 towers? I wonder what's the status of that parking lot?

Also wasn't that Miami developer promising to propose something for Downtown Tempe?

Final tidbit. I noticed on Tempe's website that the owner of Hayden Ferry Lakeside has filed requests for permits to do "site work improvements" I wonder what they have planned?

muertecaza
Aug 24, 2021, 7:51 PM
Zoning signs up for 250 Rio.

https://i.imgur.com/4HRnIuFh.jpg

EDIT: and looks like we've got a website with full renderings:https://250rio.com/

https://i.imgur.com/4ml6EDT.png

muertecaza
Aug 24, 2021, 8:41 PM
Crane going up for Omni:

https://i.imgur.com/JlbmDNUh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1yd0x8Ah.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/OJNvSb5h.jpg

azsunsurfer
Aug 24, 2021, 9:31 PM
Not big news but I feel like the townhomes on Farmer (south of University) has stalled? They are still on the first floor and it seems like a month or two has gone by with no progress being made.

Phxguy
Aug 25, 2021, 2:56 AM
https://i.imgur.com/4ml6EDT.png

Holy Borg cube, Batman! That’s going to be one prominent building while driving past on the 202.

xymox
Aug 25, 2021, 5:06 AM
Holy Borg cube, Batman! That’s going to be one prominent building while driving past on the 202.

So - Tempe started with the inverted Pyramid building, now a giant cube. Can we get a sphere next?

azsunsurfer
Aug 25, 2021, 2:30 PM
The Cube looks dank! I am sure it will have a cool lighting feature for nighttime.

Anyway can anyone get a picture of the rezoning sign for the NWC of Farmer and 5th St? I believe the Tempe website has it listed as a mixed use project. It was in front of the older apartments but I am not sure if it includes the office space next door or not on the hard corner?

PHX31
Aug 25, 2021, 4:07 PM
The Cube looks dank!

I'm assuming this means good? :haha:

I think it's awesome looking. And like I mentioned a while ago, I heard the parcel(s) just south of The Cube, just southwest of the roundabout where that 80s/90s ish small office and the historic houses were relocated to is being planned for something. Add in the Tempe Depot site (and the squatter parcel some day?) and this area of NW downtown is going to be - dank!

muertecaza
Aug 25, 2021, 4:53 PM
The 250rio.com website also has more detailed plans. Somewhere between Borg cube and Jawa sandcrawler:

https://i.imgur.com/sfPHh38h.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/83YYt35h.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4cNG0QNh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3y4U354h.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/x9KbpPoh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YeoCG8wh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/o0NrWg6h.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3HH43sph.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nghIVaph.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/533EwXYh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Yhsmmjlh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sK9nzKAh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Yg3p3SOh.jpg

combusean
Aug 25, 2021, 5:37 PM
That enormous garage on Rio is just bad, and the garage just takes up so much of the massing.

For a downtown site very little of the frontage is activated. Buildings on multiple elevations are hard but this one needs work.

Mr.RE
Aug 25, 2021, 6:46 PM
I love the star wars reference :haha:

muertecaza
Aug 25, 2021, 7:58 PM
The Cube looks dank! I am sure it will have a cool lighting feature for nighttime.

Anyway can anyone get a picture of the rezoning sign for the NWC of Farmer and 5th St? I believe the Tempe website has it listed as a mixed use project. It was in front of the older apartments but I am not sure if it includes the office space next door or not on the hard corner?

https://i.imgur.com/aEYROZDh.jpg

Interested to see what this ends up looking like.

muertecaza
Aug 25, 2021, 8:54 PM
Zoning sign is up for the First and Farmer apartments down the street where the self-storage is across from the Yard as well:

https://i.imgur.com/DeTPDZWh.jpg

I think some of these have been posted before, but in case anyone needs a refresher of what this is:

https://www.senderlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/ELEVATIONS_1-400x284.jpg

https://www.senderlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/C3_preview_20210809-400x284.jpg

https://www.senderlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/C1_preview_20210809-400x284.jpg

ASUSunDevil
Aug 26, 2021, 2:26 AM
^ Wasn't this planned as office?

https://firstandfarmertempe.com

ASUSunDevil
Aug 26, 2021, 2:28 AM
https://i.imgur.com/YeoCG8wh.jpg

Love it :cheers:

YourBuddy
Aug 26, 2021, 2:35 AM
Wow love that First and Farmer building

azsunsurfer
Aug 26, 2021, 4:39 PM
Wow love that First and Farmer building

Wow, so they probably saw the Depot/ Beam/ Rio and Mill and thought we can't compete with that, so let's just do residential.

Glad to see they are incorporating the original design and that it might be taller?

muertecaza
Aug 30, 2021, 5:00 PM
Interested to see what this ends up looking like.

Here are the renderings and site plans for this one. Looks like the plan is to basically keep the existing offices and replace the surrounding parking lot and one-story buildings with residential. Pretty good stuff.

https://www.senderlaw.com/dwell/

https://www.senderlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Renderings_1.jpg

https://www.senderlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Renderings_2.jpg

https://www.senderlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Renderings_3.jpg

https://www.senderlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Renderings_4.jpg

https://www.senderlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Renderings_5.jpg

https://www.senderlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Renderings_6.jpg

https://www.senderlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/LANDSCAPE-PLAN_DWELL.jpg

https://www.senderlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/SITE-PLAN_DWELL.jpg