PDA

View Full Version : Tempe Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117

azsunsurfer
Jun 1, 2013, 9:30 PM
So I was driving down Rural last night (on a side note I like the redevelopment of that old restaurant site south of the tracks) and I noticed that besides the College Store for sale sign- there was a sign near it for Davis....interesting....I wonder what they are "designing for that parcel. Speaking of Davis signs, does anyone know what Davis planned for that lot next to the APS station on University. There was a zoning sign for it awhile ago, not sure what was intended next to Chompies.

MegaBass
Jun 2, 2013, 5:18 AM
So I was driving down Rural last night (on a side note I like the redevelopment of that old restaurant site south of the tracks) and I noticed that besides the College Store for sale sign- there was a sign near it for Davis....interesting....I wonder what they are "designing for that parcel. Speaking of Davis signs, does anyone know what Davis planned for that lot next to the APS station on University. There was a zoning sign for it awhile ago, not sure what was intended next to Chompies.

Speaking of Apache I haven't been able to read the banner for what they're building at the former Korean restaurant site in between Wendy's and Chevron.

Here's some photoset of Sun Devil Fitness Complex (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sundevilfitness/sets/72157633551878488/) construction. Last Thursday ASU Business and Finance (https://twitter.com/asuevpcfo) and Alumni Association (https://twitter.com/ASU_Alumni) mentioned on Twitter about their construction tour at Manzy. Removal of the landscaped rocky hill south of Ross-Blakley Law Library will make way for a service drive (https://asunews.asu.edu/20130515_ASU_Temp-campus_Summer_Road_Construction) south of the Tempe campus bookstore. Bummer, Probably due to Terrace Road by ISTB IV and Biodesign becoming a pedestrian mall.

phxSUNSfan
Jun 2, 2013, 9:03 AM
Removal of the landscaped rocky hill south of Ross-Blakley Law Library will make way for a service drive (https://asunews.asu.edu/20130515_ASU_Temp-campus_Summer_Road_Construction) south of the Tempe campus bookstore. Bummer, Probably due to Terrace Road by ISTB IV and Biodesign becoming a pedestrian mall.

That is a great thing, IMO. Closing Terrace St./Orange St. and extending Orange Mall all the way to McAllister Ave. is long overdue. That is the last road that leads into the center of campus. It is dangerous with all the pedestrians, bicyclists, and skateboarders now.

phxSUNSfan
Jun 3, 2013, 10:46 PM
Tempe is now taking comments from the public through June 30 regarding the streetcar. You can comment and leave your opinion on the route the streetcar should take. The final decision will be made in the fall.
http://www.azcentral.com/community/tempe/articles/20130530tempe-streetcar-route-input.html#protected

Link to survey:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CKX7MFJ

Jjs5056
Jun 4, 2013, 1:55 AM
Thanks. I voted Rio and essentially begged them to consider taking the Apache leg and moving it to extend Rio as east as possible, and terminate at Gammage.

I just don't understand how a city that usually gets it right when it comes to urban planning, is missing the mark entirely and wasting money on a system/route that is going to cannibalize the ridership and development opportunities of LRT.

We shouldn't be investing in a route whose only benefit is being an alternative to walking. Great- instead of walking from Mill/3rd LRT stop to go to PF Chang's, I can hop on the streetcar.

Meanwhile, extending to Rio and McClintock gives everyone who has access to light rail (by way of foot, bike, bus, park and ride, etc.) access to new amenities that are currently heavily skewed toward automobile use, like Tempe Marketplace, Karsten, sports complexes and all future potential lake development. Even going to Rural would at least open up transit options for those living just north of the lake. And, it's close enough to maybe influence development between Rural and McClintock - both the stadium district and SouthBank - both of which would be completely auto-dependent right now.

Finally, both suck at encouraging development. Apache is already seeing investment benefits east of Rural due to LRT, and there are hardly any lots left to the west. Even if there were, that investment would happen anyway because of ASU. Meanwhile, the empty lots on Rio that line would hit are already slated for development, but at least it hits both commercial and residential uses, something the Apache one doesn't (reaching residential only; students at that, who are apt to walk to bus or light rail to get to the places streetcar is serving). Though, again, people working at State Farm and considering public transit would almost definitely take light rail to 3rd/Mill and walk even if the streetcar didn't happen. So, again, just cannibalization until you get more to the east.

Sigh..... Sorry for repeating myself for the 100th time. If I am misunderstanding the purpose of streetcar, I am happy to learn!

phxSUNSfan
Jun 4, 2013, 2:13 AM
Thanks. I voted Rio and essentially begged them to consider taking the Apache leg and moving it to extend Rio as east as possible, and terminate at Gammage.

I just don't understand how a city that usually gets it right when it comes to urban planning, is missing the mark entirely and wasting money on a system/route that is going to cannibalize the ridership and development opportunities of LRT.

Awesome, I voted for the C-shaped route as well. The possibility of extending the line to N. Mesa (Wrigleyville West) is very important. One thing I would point out is that the streetcar would not cannibalize LRT ridership because they do serve different purposes and areas. The streetcar is, of course, a more localized service and would benefit students on Apache wanting to get to Mill Ave and the Stadium (if the C-Shaped route gets built).

It would also benefit future and current residents and workers along Rio Salado who want to get to Mill quicker than walking would allow. The light rail is built to move faster over longer distances. The systems are supplemental; for instance, many living along Apache would likely take the streetcar to the nearest light rail station to get to Phoenix or to Mesa.

Arquitect
Jun 4, 2013, 4:04 AM
Awesome, I voted for the C-shaped route as well. The possibility of extending the line to N. Mesa (Wrigleyville West) is very important. One thing I would point out is that the streetcar would not cannibalize LRT ridership because they do serve different purposes and areas. The streetcar is, of course, a more localized service and would benefit students on Apache wanting to get to Mill Ave and the Stadium (if the C-Shaped route gets built).

It would also benefit future and current residents and workers along Rio Salado who want to get to Mill quicker than walking would allow. The light rail is built to move faster over longer distances. The systems are supplemental; for instance, many living along Apache would likely take the streetcar to the nearest light rail station to get to Phoenix or to Mesa.

Indeed, Streetcars are the lowest tier of what should be a three tier multimodal system. They are slow, and normally link smaller dense areas, they are fantastic for areas that are not yet developed, because they can link walkable corridors. But some of JJ's concerns are true, the street car could take pedestrians off from Mill. In my opinion, the benefit of getting more people in the area is greater that the lazy people that would just hop on the street car skipping most of Mill. Although, it could bring more pedestrians in summer, since people might be ok with the smaller walks. (It really depends how spread apart the stations are).

The other two tier are light rail and commuter rail. Spreading the light rail route is dumb, because its not fast enough. Instead having commuter rail cover the large distances allow light rail to be more flexible and precise. Therefore you would have commuter rail go from city to city, light rail from neighborhood to neighborhood, and streetcar as an interneighborhood/district mode system. In such a nodal city as ours, thinking of mass transit linearly is counter productive.

BTW- I voted for Apache/Rio too, and under my comments asked for the line to be extended past Dobson.

ASUSunDevil
Jun 4, 2013, 5:34 PM
Apache/Rio was an easy vote.

Julian Wright is doing great things for Mill Ave:

With Help From His New Partners, Julian Wright Is Taking Over Mill Avenue: Revitalizing Robbie Fox, Re-Opening Canteen as El Hefe Super-Macho Taqueria and Opening a Tiny New Speakeasy Called Nickel.

By Nikki Buchanan Tue., Jun. 4 2013 at 7:30 AM

You really do have to wonder if Mill Avenue mogul Julian Wright (who owns La Bocca Urban Pizzeria, Canteen Modern Tequila and The Handlebar on that street) ever sleeps. The restaurateur and CEO of Fork & Dagger Restaurant Group just opened Gringo Star Street Bar (also on Mill) not much more than two weeks ago, and earlier this spring, he debuted Modern Margarita in CityNorth.

And already, he has three more ideas for turning Tempe's main drag into the Wright Stuff. Here's how he plans to stay busy for the next few months.

Project One:

A few weeks ago (right around the time he was opening Gringo Star, in fact), Wright and his new 50-50 partners Ryan Hibbert, John Wright and Mike Troyan (who own El Hefe Super Macho Taqueria in Scottsdale) bought Robbie Fox's Public House, which they plan to revitalize.
Wright says he and his partners plan to "breathe new life" into Robbie Fox -- ironically, by taking it back to its original concept: an Irish pub. The first order of business? Scrap the DJ's for Irish bands. In fact, a band has been booked for this coming Saturday.

Meanwhile, the large menu (which, Wright says, was becoming more and more watered down from its original Irish inflection), will be reduced, featuring half Irish specialties and half American dishes. Recipes, he says, will also be tweaked for improvement.

He promises a nice brunch down the road and he's toying around with the idea of adding games as "something to keep people occupied." He says he and his partners will also do some renovating, possibly adding garage doors and opening up the small, seldom used front room. We're going to "throw more love" into the concept, Wright says, adding that they hope to roll out many of their ideas this very week.

"I love partnering with people and these guys are young and full of ideas," Wright says.

Project Two:

When Wright learned that the El Hefe boys were looking (to no avail) for the right space to open an El Hefe on Mill, he figured "if you can't lick 'em, join 'em" and invited them to partner with him on the space that currently houses his own Canteen Modern Tequila Bar. Canteen will close mid-July and re-open late September as El Hefe Super-Macho Taqueria, which Wright says will actually be a hybrid of the two restaurants. They want to keep the business clientele Wright had already earned at Canteen and to that end, they'll keep the vibe slightly more sophisticated, pouring over a million bucks into remodeling the space. If all goes well with the city, we can expect an expanded front patio as well as a whole other bar near the front entry, which will be re-configured. There will be new furniture throughout and cabanas on the back patio as well.

Project Three:

A month from now -- on July 3, to be exact -- Wright plans to have Nickel, a 1,000-square-foot speakeasy, rocking and rolling. Wedged between Gringo Star and the Valley Art, this venture (his own, without partners) will focus on live music (much of it acoustic, given the size of the venue), mixology and a 15-item menu with a decidedly Southern accent.

Wright plans to decorate around the historic building, bringing in antique furniture and custom lighting.

And here's some great news: Wright recently hired Mark Dow to be his corporate chef. Dow, who most recently worked at The Mint and before that at Aaron May's Iruña, has a great pedigree. He worked under Douglas Rodriguez as chef de cuisine at Deseo back in the early days, so he brings some chops to the table.

TempeSilverFox
Jun 4, 2013, 7:42 PM
Apache/Rio was an easy vote.

Julian Wright is doing great things for Mill Ave:

Where did find this information? It's great!

ASUSunDevil
Jun 4, 2013, 10:30 PM

Huh?

Arquitect
Jun 4, 2013, 11:58 PM
Huh?

You didn't include the source of the article, hence the confusion.

phxSUNSfan
Jun 5, 2013, 1:20 AM

He got it from Phoenix New Times:

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/2013/06/juilan_wright_with_a_little_he.php

TempeSilverFox
Jun 5, 2013, 1:34 PM
He got it from Phoenix New Times:

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/2013/06/juilan_wright_with_a_little_he.php

Sweet! Thank you :)

Jjs5056
Jun 5, 2013, 3:18 PM
Great news for Mill, and happy to see the variety of all the places described, so it isn't just a string of bars. Would love to see more passionate entrepreneurs like this for downtown.

My concern isn't only cannibalization, but just being unnecessary. This students along Apache are making it to Mill ahd the stadium already- if it isn't by walking to light rail (typically, within about a mile), it's by walking, bus or bike. These residents already have quite a few options before resorting to a car; if this was just one area served, that would he totally fine. But, we are only getting such a small piece for this first stop that I think the focus should be elsewhere- gaining access to residents from areas without as many transit options currently, reaching attractions or amenities not already easily reached by any means but car, etc.

I totally agree that it should be supplemental. But, what about this line would make a resident in Mesa or near 19th avenue take the light rail when they wouldn't have otherwise? The route is hitting the exact same destinations: Mill Ave, ASU, SDS. The only benefit, as I mentioned, is easing their walk to the southern end of downtown.

Meanwhile, grabbing the part of the line that runs along Apache and using it to extend Rio further would allow the system to be truly supplemental. Terminating at Gammage (which I think is one important new stop; people aren't likely to light rail and walk in theatre clothing) still make it walkable to Apache residents if they feel it is more convenient than walking to light rail.

But, we would now give it purpose by reaching residents to the north way beyond light rail, commercial districts (once you get to Packard on Rio, I think you'd starting gaining workers who wouldn't walk that distance from 3rd/Mill), huge future mixed use residential and commercial development (SouthBank and Stadium District) and entertainment (Tempe Marketplace)... All of these places are currently hugely auto-centric, and the future developments won't be truly urban as they demand massive amounts of parking due to the lack of nearby transit.

phxSUNSfan
Jun 5, 2013, 5:33 PM
My concern isn't only cannibalization, but just being unnecessary. This students along Apache are making it to Mill ahd the stadium already- if it isn't by walking to light rail (typically, within about a mile), it's by walking, bus or bike.

I totally agree that it should be supplemental. But, what about this line would make a resident in Mesa or near 19th avenue take the light rail when they wouldn't have otherwise? The route is hitting the exact same destinations: Mill Ave, ASU, SDS. The only benefit, as I mentioned, is easing their walk to the southern end of downtown.

This is just the start of the line. Putting it in along the busiest area of the city is an important first step. And really, there isn't another location that would make more sense especially given the fact that government funding relies heavily on ridership counts. This area gives the system the best chance for success and for more funding in the future. Remember, streetcars are very localized services, it isn't meant to benefit Mesa residents or residents in Phoenix unless they plan on going to Mill/Tempe for an event. The is no cannibalism going on with these systems and these systems are being built to stay ahead of growth. So while there might initially be less people walking, as the area continues to grow the streetcar will help ease congestion.

nickw252
Jun 6, 2013, 12:17 AM
Tempe - In a deal first reported by BREW in December 2012, The Hanover Co. in Houston, Tex. (J. Murry Bowden, CEO) has paid $7 million to buy a 2.76-acre parcel within the Centerpoint mixed-use project in Tempe that will allow the company to build 341 upscale multi-family units. The seller was Centerpoint Land LLC, a company formed by DMB Associates Inc. in Scottsdale (, pres.). As previously reported by BREW, The Hanover Co. agreed to buy the site contingent on zoning approval. Records show Mill Avenue Apartments LP (The Hanover Co. entity) paid cash for the land, which is located at the southwest corner of Maple Avenue and Fifth Street. The sale was brokered by Brent Moser, Mike Sutton and Brooks Griffith of Cassidy Turley in Phoenix. The parcel, which is now utilized as a public parking lot, is immediately northeast of the incredibly popular West Sixth towers multi-family rental units. Those 22- and 30-story structures have a combined 375 units in both buildings. The Hanover Co. will develop a six-story structure with 341 apartments and a parking garage with 711 spaces. Of those, 440 stalls will be used by residents of the apartments and 271 spaces will replace the number of public stalls that currently occupy the 2.76 acres. Sources say the cost to replace the existing parking spaces is more than $4 million and that was figured into the sales price. Hanover wants to start construction this summer, with an opening to follow 21 months later. The urban living developer has hired Wallace Garcia of Houston to design the project. Plans call for one- and two-bedroom units ranging from about 550 sq. ft. to 1,200 sq. ft. Hanover will be the general contractor. Development cost (land and buildings) estimated at $65+million. Sources say State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co. in Bloomington, Ill. will be a financial partner in the project with The Hanover Co. Get more from Eric Kenney of Hanover at (480) 505-3377. Talk to Freericks at (480) 367-7000. The Cassidy Turley agents are at (602) 954-9000.

BREWAZ (http://www.brewaz.com/content/index_story_free.php?story_id=8907&volume_num=XIX&issue_num=22&issue_date=June%207,%202013)

I don't see any information on the Hanover website about this development.

MegaBass
Jun 6, 2013, 2:48 AM
Wells Fargo at the MU is relocating to 20 East University Drive.

Spitfiredude
Jun 6, 2013, 9:36 PM
Kolby Granville announced that AMC will be going into the theater on Mill. Opening in fall 2013.

Arquitect
Jun 6, 2013, 9:42 PM
Kolby Granville announced that AMC will be going into the theater on Mill. Opening in fall 2013.

Although I am not a fan of AMC, I am glad this finally went through. I am sure it really will help reenliven that area. It used to such a huge draw for crowds when Harkins was there. I hope the continue the late night showtimes from the previous theater.

TempeSilverFox
Jun 7, 2013, 1:03 PM

AWESOME! I hope that they open an Esplanade style theatre - where you can order drinks and food from your seat. How sweet would that be??? :tup:

exit2lef
Jun 7, 2013, 1:44 PM
Great news. Despite being the local favorite, Harkins has a record of neglecting the urban cores of the Phoenix Metro Area in favor of building theaters on the suburban fringe and in car-centric developments like Tempe Marketplace. If Canadian-owned AMC is the theater chain with the vision to invest in established locations such as the Arizona Center, the Esplanade, and now Mill Avenue, then that company may be doing more good for our community than Harkins.

exit2lef
Jun 7, 2013, 1:48 PM
AWESOME! I hope that they open an Esplanade style theatre - where you can order drinks and food from your seat. How sweet would that be??? :tup:

Granville's Facebook post indicates they will do that: https://www.facebook.com/tempe.kolby

Arquitect
Jun 7, 2013, 3:53 PM
Great news. Despite being the local favorite, Harkins has a record of neglecting the urban cores of the Phoenix Metro Area in favor of building theaters on the suburban fringe and in car-centric developments like Tempe Marketplace. If Canadian-owned AMC is the theater chain with the vision to invest in established locations such as the Arizona Center, the Esplanade, and now Mill Avenue, then that company may be doing more good for our community than Harkins.

Yeah, the charm of being the local guys is kinda lost. Although I do really appreciate their will to keep Valley Art open, even if it is at a loss every year. I'm sure there are tax reasons for that move, but that little theater is a really awesome gem within the fabric of Mill Ave.

It is kinda awesome that they are wanting to do a similar thing to Esplanade.

Is AMC really Canadian owned? For some reason I thought they were based out of KC.

phxSUNSfan
Jun 7, 2013, 4:12 PM
Is AMC really Canadian owned? For some reason I thought they were based out of KC.

AMC is a subsidiary and is not Canadian owned...it is headquartered in Kansas City. I'm not sure if it already happened, but AMC planned to move their KC headquarters to nearby Leawood, KS this year (2013). AMC's parent company is the Dalian Wanda Group headquartered in Dalian, China.

exit2lef
Jun 7, 2013, 4:54 PM
AMC is a subsidiary and is not Canadian owned...it is headquartered in Kansas City. I'm not sure if it already happened, but AMC planned to move their KC headquarters to nearby Leawood, KS this year (2013). AMC's parent company is the Dalian Wanda Group headquartered in Dalian, China.

Interesting. I thought at one point AMC was a subsidiary of CO. I guess that was either incorrect or the circumstances have changed. Whether it's Canada or China, I find the protectionist rhetoric about foreign ownership in some of Harkins' communications to be rather sad.

phxSUNSfan
Jun 7, 2013, 10:37 PM
Interesting. I thought at one point AMC was a subsidiary of CO. I guess that was either incorrect or the circumstances have changed. Whether it's Canada or China, I find the protectionist rhetoric about foreign ownership in some of Harkins' communications to be rather sad.

It was actually the other way around. AMC Entertainment, INC. was the parent company of Cineplex Odeon after a merger with Loews Theaters (headquartered in NYC). Loews owned Cineplex Odeon...the movie theater business has been pretty complex; lots of mergers and buyouts since 2005.

TempeSilverFox
Jun 8, 2013, 1:11 AM
More info about the AMC luxury theatre coming to downtown Tempe!

AMC Theatres® Coming to Centerpoint on Mill in Downtown Tempe
Posted Date: 6/7/2013
Tempe, AZ— Spanning three city blocks at the northwest corner of Mill Avenue and University Drive in the heart of downtown Tempe, Centerpoint on Mill will add an AMC Theatres complex to its urban mix of dining, nightlife, offices and shopping this Fall 2013.

AMC Theatres has executed a lease for a 37,645 square-foot space, with plans to renovate the existing movie theater building. According to Mike Burke, vice president of DMB Commercial, “AMC Theatres is destined to become the heart of Centerpoint on Mill, as an iconic entertainment destination enhancing traffic, visitation and guest experience.”

According to the Downtown Tempe Community, since May 2012, 41 new businesses have opened in the Mill Avenue District, including restaurants, offices and retail. “The great news about a new AMC Theatre follows the announcement of new residential units and is in a position to anchor the southern portion of the city’s vibrant downtown,” said Tempe Mayor Mark Mitchell. “With this addition, downtown Tempe is providing new family-friendly entertainment options to Mill Avenue. I know I’m looking forward to taking my family to the new theatre.”

When complete, the theatre will feature state-of-the-art sound and digital projectors, stadium-style seating and guests will watch the newest releases in luxury, as every seat in the theatre will
be a power recliner with footrest. In addition, guests can enjoy an expanded concession menu with more than 120 drink options.

Mike Polachek, Brian Polachek, and Scott Ellsworth with SRS Real Estate Partners represented DMB, the landlord in the transaction, while Greg Laing with Phoenix Commercial Advisors represented AMC Theatres as the tenant.

About AMC Theatres
AMC Theatres® delivers distinctive and affordable movie-going experiences in 344 theatres and 4,988 screens throughout the United States. AMC operates 25 of the 50 highest grossing theatres in the United States, including four of the top five. AMC has propelled industry innovation and continues today by delivering premium sight and sound, enhanced food and beverage and diverse content to an engaged audience in state-of-the-art buildings. AMCTheatres.com

About Centerpoint on Mill
Covering 22-acres, starting at the northwest corner of Mill Avenue and University Drive, Centerpoint on Mill has become a landmark to Tempe residents, students and visitors alike. The mixed-use commercial property is home to Canteen Modern Tequila Bar, Churchill's Fine Cigars, Devil's Diner, Fat Tuesday, Five Guys Burgers & Fries, Great Clips, The Handlebar Tempe, Jimmy John's, P.F. Chang's China Bistro, Mellow Mushroom, Poppa Maize, Rita's Italian Ice, Robbie Fox's Public House and Sitewire. Zipps Sports Grill and Pita Pitt will be opening soon. For more information about dining, working and shopping at Centerpoint on Mill, visit www.centerpointonmill.com.

About DMB DMB Commercial specializes in strategically shaping and developing properties within DMB’s portfolio of planned communities featuring retail, office, hospitality and other mixed-use components. Current DMB Commercial properties include Market Street at DC Ranch, and Canyon Village (all within DC Ranch in Scottsdale, AZ), Centerpoint on Mill (Tempe, AZ), Eastmark (Mesa, AZ), The Shops at Kukui’ula, (Kauai, HI), Main Street at Verrado, (Buckeye, AZ), and One Scottsdale (Scottsdale, AZ). For more information, visit www.dmbinc.com.

DMB, an Arizona-based real estate company, creates enduring places that capitalize on location and climate, shaping life for generations. For nearly thirty years, DMB has earned a national reputation for creating some of the most iconic communities in the West, including Centerpoint on Mill in Tempe, DC Ranch in Scottsdale and Verrado in Buckeye, just to name a few. DMB strives to achieve enduring business success by creating extraordinary new environments that enrich people’s lives, are appreciated and rewarded in the market and have a positive impact on the larger community of which they are part.

About SRS Real Estate Partners
SRS Real Estate Partners is the largest real estate company in the U.S. exclusively dedicated to retail services. Headquartered in Dallas with more than 20 offices worldwide, SRS’ strong reach and international presence provide the company with unparalleled knowledge both globally and domestically. As a result, clients of SRS have a competitive edge through a full range of offerings including brokerage services, corporate services, development services, investment services and management services. Since its inception in 1986, SRS has built a strong foundation in the retail real estate world and grown into one of the industry’s most influential and respected leaders. Our success is measured in the achievement of our clients’ objectives, satisfaction and trust. For more information, please visit www.srsre.com.

Here is the link from the City of Tempe:
http://www.tempe.gov/index.aspx?page=31&recordid=1555

ASUSunDevil
Jun 10, 2013, 3:45 PM
Theaters, housing coming to Tempe's Mill Avenue

By Dianna M. Náñez
The Republic | azcentral.com
Sun Jun 9, 2013 9:18 PM
Downtown Tempe’s steady climb out of the economic hole left by the recession has received yet another boost.

On Friday, city officials announced that AMC Theatres will open a movie complex on Mill Avenue and that a high-profile developer has tapped the city center for a six-story apartment complex.

The news comes just two weeks after plans were unveiled to build a $600 million commercial development north of Arizona State University’s Sun Devil Stadium that will be anchored by an 18-story headquarters for State Farm. That project is being touted as Arizona’s largest office development.

The movieplex and 341-unit apartment complex will be part of the 22-acre Centerpoint on Mill development, which marks downtown Tempe’s southern gateway.

Mayor Mark Mitchell said the two projects are further proof that Tempe is recovering from a recession that derailed development projects and sucked some life out of the Mill Avenue District. The theaters, he said, will give downtown another entertainment draw.

“This addition to downtown Tempe will help us provide new family-friendly entertainment options to Mill,” he said of the movie complex. “This theater is in a great position to anchor the southern portion of our city’s vibrant downtown.”

The apartments will be developed by Houston-based Hanover Co. The company purchased the 2.76 acres near Fifth Street and Maple Avenue for an estimated $7 million.

Mitchell, a Tempe native, said it’s the next step in the district’s evolution into a thriving urban hub.

“I remember as a kid it used to be all neighborhoods (downtown); now it’s coming back as a neighborhood again, (but) it’s just as a different form,” he said, referencing the growing number of multifamily residences in the district.

The new complex will be built immediately north of West 6th Tempe, a high-rise housing development that caters to Arizona State University students and people seeking to live downtown.

Friday’s news thrilled some Tempe residents, who said they have missed the convenience of having a full-size movieplex on Mill.

Harkins closed its downtown Tempe theater several years ago and moved to Tempe Marketplace.

While Valley Art, a historic one-screen Harkins movie house built in 1940, shows independent films and remains a staple on Mill, the new AMC complex is expected to be a big draw for moviegoers who want more options.

AMC has leased a 37,645-square-foot space, which housed the former Harkins and more recently was home to the short-lived MADCAP theater, a community-based venue for local art and entertainment.

AMC spokeswoman Sun Dee Larson said an opening date for the new theaters had not been finalized.

But the developer of Centerpoint on Mill, DMB Associates Commercial, said it was told to expect a late fall or winter opening.

Roy Wilson is among the small-business owners who have toughed it out on Mill.

He called the AMC complex a godsend for his Poppa Maize Gourmet Popcorn shop, which he opened two years ago next to where the AMC will expand.

“It means a lot; anything opening down there means a lot,” he said. “We’re the only business down there in this little cul-de-sac.”

DMB President Charley Freericks said residential development is the key to attracting new entertainment venues and retail on Mill, which has long been thought of as too bar- and restaurant-heavy.

“When West 6th happened, it was sort of a big confidence booster for the marketplace,” he said. “We really felt that on Mill, all of the sudden, the shops and restaurants got busier.”

He expects Hanover’s apartments to attract more young professionals and empty-nesters. “They are an urban developer. ... We’ve seen their work in San Francisco ... it’s higher-quality residential.”

The apartments will replace an existing parking lot but will include a nine-level parking structure, with seven levels above ground and two levels below.

Construction is expected to start this year and take about 21 months to complete.

Arquitect
Jun 10, 2013, 4:41 PM
Theaters, housing coming to Tempe's Mill Avenue

By Dianna M. Náñez
Sun Jun 9, 2013 9:18 PM
Downtown Tempe’s steady climb out of the economic hole left by the recession has received yet another boost.

On Friday, city officials announced that AMC Theatres will open a movie complex on Mill Avenue and that a high-profile developer has tapped the city center for a six-story apartment complex.

The news comes just two weeks after plans were unveiled to build a $600 million commercial development north of Arizona State University’s Sun Devil Stadium that will be anchored by an 18-story headquarters for State Farm. That project is being touted as Arizona’s largest office development.

The movieplex and 341-unit apartment complex will be part of the 22-acre Centerpoint on Mill development, which marks downtown Tempe’s southern gateway.

Mayor Mark Mitchell said the two projects are further proof that Tempe is recovering from a recession that derailed development projects and sucked some life out of the Mill Avenue District. The theaters, he said, will give downtown another entertainment draw.

“This addition to downtown Tempe will help us provide new family-friendly entertainment options to Mill,” he said of the movie complex. “This theater is in a great position to anchor the southern portion of our city’s vibrant downtown.”

The apartments will be developed by Houston-based Hanover Co. The company purchased the 2.76 acres near Fifth Street and Maple Avenue for an estimated $7 million.

Mitchell, a Tempe native, said it’s the next step in the district’s evolution into a thriving urban hub.

“I remember as a kid it used to be all neighborhoods (downtown); now it’s coming back as a neighborhood again, (but) it’s just as a different form,” he said, referencing the growing number of multifamily residences in the district.

The new complex will be built immediately north of West 6th Tempe, a high-rise housing development that caters to Arizona State University students and people seeking to live downtown.

Friday’s news thrilled some Tempe residents, who said they have missed the convenience of having a full-size movieplex on Mill.

Harkins closed its downtown Tempe theater several years ago and moved to Tempe Marketplace.

While Valley Art, a historic one-screen Harkins movie house built in 1940, shows independent films and remains a staple on Mill, the new AMC complex is expected to be a big draw for moviegoers who want more options.

AMC has leased a 37,645-square-foot space, which housed the former Harkins and more recently was home to the short-lived MADCAP theater, a community-based venue for local art and entertainment.

AMC spokeswoman Sun Dee Larson said an opening date for the new theaters had not been finalized.

But the developer of Centerpoint on Mill, DMB Associates Commercial, said it was told to expect a late fall or winter opening.

Roy Wilson is among the small-business owners who have toughed it out on Mill.

He called the AMC complex a godsend for his Poppa Maize Gourmet Popcorn shop, which he opened two years ago next to where the AMC will expand.

“It means a lot; anything opening down there means a lot,” he said. “We’re the only business down there in this little cul-de-sac.”

DMB President Charley Freericks said residential development is the key to attracting new entertainment venues and retail on Mill, which has long been thought of as too bar- and restaurant-heavy.

“When West 6th happened, it was sort of a big confidence booster for the marketplace,” he said. “We really felt that on Mill, all of the sudden, the shops and restaurants got busier.”

He expects Hanover’s apartments to attract more young professionals and empty-nesters. “They are an urban developer. ... We’ve seen their work in San Francisco ... it’s higher-quality residential.”

The apartments will replace an existing parking lot but will include a nine-level parking structure, with seven levels above ground and two levels below.

Construction is expected to start this year and take about 21 months to complete.

21 months to complete construction! They weren't kidding when they said this will be higher quality. With that much time, they better have great quality control.

ASUSunDevil
Jun 10, 2013, 10:53 PM
Tempe continues to kick ass with a little help from Phoenix savior, Jerry C. :worship:

Sources: USA Basketball plans to relocate to Tempe

By Jeff Metcalfe and Anne Ryman
azcentral sports
Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:20 PM
USA Basketball, the national governing body responsible for choosing the U.S. Olympic teams, plans to relocate to Tempe as part of an Arizona State development project, multiple sources told azcentral sports.

Currently located in Colorado Springs, Colo., USA Basketball is expected to announce its plan soon to be part of a 10-acre project adjacent to the ASU campus, sources said.

This is the second time that USA Basketball, whose chairman/president is former Suns chairman/CEO Jerry Colangelo, has chosen to relocate to the Valley. A plan to move to Glendale in 2008, with a private developer building a $53.8 million training campus as part of a larger development near Camelback Ranch, fell through because the developer could not complete financing during the economic downturn.

As part of a partnership with the city of Tempe, ASU's plan is to build a hotel and conference center and other development on university-owned land at the southeast corner of Mill Avenue and University Drive. This project is separate from ASU's planned athletic facilities district.

On Thursday the university will ask the Arizona Board of Regents for approval to enter into a lease-option agreement with a private corporation, USA Place LLC. Plans call for a four-star hotel with at least 300 guest rooms and a minimum of 30,000 square feet of conference facilities. The hotel and conference center would be constructed no later than the end of 2015, according to regents documents. The land lease would stretch from 65 to 99 years.

The timetable for relocation of USA Basketball is unclear. The senior national teams could continue to train elsewhere. The men's team trained in Las Vegas before the 2012 London Olympics.

ASU has owned the land, where a Chili’s restaurant and parking lots now stand, for a number of years.

USA Place LLC is a domestic corporation, according to the Arizona Corporation Commission. Susan Eastridge of Scottsdale is the contact. Eastridge is one of the founders of Concord Eastridge, Inc., a company that develops facilities for corporations, educational entities and government agencies. Eastridge was not immediately available for comment. The company was the master developer for the Mason Inn Conference Center and Hotel at George Mason University, a $52 million project that opened in 2010, according to the company's website.

Colangelo is in his second term as USA Basketball's chairman/president. He is the first to serve back-to-back terms since the organization was formed in 1972.

Colangelo began working with USA Basketball in 2005 as managing director of the men’s senior national team, a position he still holds. Under Colangelo’s direction, the U.S. men are 62-1 with two Olympic and one World gold medal.

The U.S. women’s senior team has won five consecutive Olympic titles, not losing in Olympic play since the 1992 semifinals.

USA Basketball also chooses rosters for the world championships and other international competitions and holds tryouts and training camps for national teams of various ages.

In an unrelated deal, Colangelo and partners through their real-estate company, JDM Partners LLC, recently reached agreement to purchase the State Farm Operations Center at Southern Avenue and Priest Drive in Tempe.

DevilsRider
Jun 10, 2013, 11:22 PM

If this actually goes through, it will be another great project for Tempe. ASU has so much vacant space that's just being used for surface parking lots right now, and the more of that we see turned into productive space, the better.

However, it seems we've had dozens of proposals and false starts for this lot over the years. I'll finally believe it when I see the walls rising up!

Arquitect
Jun 11, 2013, 12:01 AM
Tempe continues to kick ass with a little help from Phoenix savior, Jerry C. :worship:

By Jeff Metcalfe and Anne Ryman
azcentral sports
Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:20 PM
USA Basketball, the national governing body responsible for choosing the U.S. Olympic teams, plans to relocate to Tempe as part of an Arizona State development project, multiple sources told azcentral sports.

Currently located in Colorado Springs, Colo., USA Basketball is expected to announce its plan soon to be part of a 10-acre project adjacent to the ASU campus, sources said.

This is the second time that USA Basketball, whose chairman/president is former Suns chairman/CEO Jerry Colangelo, has chosen to relocate to the Valley. A plan to move to Glendale in 2008, with a private developer building a $53.8 million training campus as part of a larger development near Camelback Ranch, fell through because the developer could not complete financing during the economic downturn.

As part of a partnership with the city of Tempe, ASU's plan is to build a hotel and conference center and other development on university-owned land at the southeast corner of Mill Avenue and University Drive. This project is separate from ASU's planned athletic facilities district.

On Thursday the university will ask the Arizona Board of Regents for approval to enter into a lease-option agreement with a private corporation, USA Place LLC. Plans call for a four-star hotel with at least 300 guest rooms and a minimum of 30,000 square feet of conference facilities. The hotel and conference center would be constructed no later than the end of 2015, according to regents documents. The land lease would stretch from 65 to 99 years.

The timetable for relocation of USA Basketball is unclear. The senior national teams could continue to train elsewhere. The men's team trained in Las Vegas before the 2012 London Olympics.

ASU has owned the land, where a Chili’s restaurant and parking lots now stand, for a number of years.

USA Place LLC is a domestic corporation, according to the Arizona Corporation Commission. Susan Eastridge of Scottsdale is the contact. Eastridge is one of the founders of Concord Eastridge, Inc., a company that develops facilities for corporations, educational entities and government agencies. Eastridge was not immediately available for comment. The company was the master developer for the Mason Inn Conference Center and Hotel at George Mason University, a $52 million project that opened in 2010, according to the company's website.

Colangelo is in his second term as USA Basketball's chairman/president. He is the first to serve back-to-back terms since the organization was formed in 1972.

Colangelo began working with USA Basketball in 2005 as managing director of the men’s senior national team, a position he still holds. Under Colangelo’s direction, the U.S. men are 62-1 with two Olympic and one World gold medal.

The U.S. women’s senior team has won five consecutive Olympic titles, not losing in Olympic play since the 1992 semifinals.

USA Basketball also chooses rosters for the world championships and other international competitions and holds tryouts and training camps for national teams of various ages.

In an unrelated deal, Colangelo and partners through their real-estate company, JDM Partners LLC, recently reached agreement to purchase the State Farm Operations Center at Southern Avenue and Priest Drive in Tempe.

This would be a huge win for the EcoDistrict. First adding State Farm, and then securing USA Basketball would bring two huge recognizable faces to the project; and without a doubt make it easier to sell to other companies. I hope this solidifies.

I also am excited to see the size of the proposed hotel and conference center. 300 rooms is pretty large. And the fact that it would be 4 stars is awesome.

Arquitect
Jun 11, 2013, 12:10 AM
Two interesting projects on tomorrow's Development Review Comission's agenda.

First, an addition to the Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine. It is nothing special, but it would add a two story building against the sidewalk along Broadway (close to the 101). Any time a sidewalk facing parking lot is replaced by a building, I count it as a win.

Link:
http://www.tempe.gov/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=18549

Second, and most important! The conceptual design for Marina Heights (State Farm), with all 12 buildings that make up the complex. three 16-story towers, one 10 story, two 8 story parking garages, one six story building, and a slew of 1 story structures. Plus three levels of underground parking.I'm sure it will change a lot in the forthcoming months, but it seems like a decent proposal.

Link:
http://www.tempe.gov/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=18547

Sepstein
Jun 11, 2013, 12:47 AM
Wow that will diffently add to the buildings at the Lake now! Going to look great! But 2 million square feet of office space can't help but to think rather see it in downtown Phoenix maybe that lot at 1st and Fillmore! With that much square feet could be a 1000 feet tower plus another 600 footer! Plus put all retail under two parking garages for two 100 feet towers!

DevilsRider
Jun 11, 2013, 12:48 AM
Second, and most important! The conceptual design for Marina Heights (State Farm), with all 12 buildings that make up the complex. three 16-story towers, one 10 story, two 8 story parking garages, one six story building, and a slew of 1 story structures. Plus three levels of underground parking.I'm sure it will change a lot in the forthcoming months, but it seems like a decent proposal.

Link:
http://www.tempe.gov/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=18547

That...is a ton of parking. And definitely look more like buildings you'd find alongside a freeway in a generic office park, and not on prime lakefront property. Loving the height, though!

Arquitect
Jun 11, 2013, 1:00 AM
That...is a ton of parking. And definitely look more like buildings you'd find alongside a freeway in a generic office park, and not on prime lakefront property. Loving the height, though!

It is a ton of parking, but it makes sense. The project is replacing a ton of regional offices, so it makes sense that many (if not the majority) of people working there will be driving in from outside of Tempe. It would be ideal if they all moved within walking or mass transit distance from the project, but also very unlikely. Hopefully as the many residential projects that are being planned get developed, more and more people switch from driving to living in downtown.

As for the genericness, I am sure they will become a little more developed as the design gets straightened out. This is still very conceptual, so there will be many changes by the time it is finalized.

Spitfiredude
Jun 11, 2013, 1:15 AM
Wow that will diffently add to the buildings at the Lake now! Going to look great! But 2 million square feet of office space can't help but to think rather see it in downtown Phoenix maybe that lot at 1st and Fillmore! With that much square feet could be a 1000 feet tower plus another 600 footer! Plus put all retail under two parking garages for two 100 feet towers!

I'd hate to say it, but I really do agree. I would have love to seen a couple or single 500-1000 ft towers in DT Phoenix to buff up the skyline. On the brightside though, this will spur much more development on the lake and provide an increased skyline for Downtown Tempe. The proposed max heights are: 253' 250' and I believe one said 220'. As a result, these towers will be the size of tower 1 at W6 (258'). That's some good height.

Also, if that hotel at University and Mill is 10-15 stories, it will help expand the skyline south which would be awesome. Now if only we could see a building or two (100-250 ft) between HFL and W6, it would connect it all together. Sadly, the Hanover project is only about 85' tall>which will provide height, but it could have been 100+

Arquitect
Jun 11, 2013, 1:33 AM
I'd hate to say it, but I really do agree. I would have love to seen a couple or single 500-1000 ft towers in DT Phoenix to buff up the skyline. On the brightside though, this will spur much more development on the lake and provide an increased skyline for Downtown Tempe. The proposed max heights are: 253' 250' and I believe one said 220'. As a result, these towers will be the size of tower 1 at W6 (258'). That's some good height.

Also, if that hotel at University and Mill is 10-15 stories, it will help expand the skyline south which would be awesome. Now if only we could see a building or two (100-250 ft) between HFL and W6, it would connect it all together. Sadly, the Hanover project is only about 85' tall>which will provide height, but it could have been 100+

There is always hope for the lot north of Hanover. But it is true, that area of downtown is quickly being filled (which is not necessarily a bad thing). My guess is that 20 years from now, the true skyline will be along the lake and the EcoDistrict, while downtown will be more patchy, with a few more highrises, but mostly composed by midrise development.

Apache is gaining height though. There are a couple more proposals on the drawing boards that will add some tall buildings on some of the vacant lots closest to ASU.

phoenixwillrise
Jun 11, 2013, 1:38 AM

Hard to find someone who has done more for Downtown Phoenix and for the Phoenix area in general. They definitely need to name a downtown street after Jerry now while he is still living. How about 2nd Street from Jefferson to McDowell? Call it Colangelo Way.

Jjs5056
Jun 12, 2013, 3:44 AM
Looks like I finally get to say some positive things about Tempe development. Lots to be excited about! Comments and questions below.

Mill and University

The Good
4-stay hotel with great height and density is a huge score. downtown needs the permanent traffic hotels and apartments bring, especially on the south side. A more upscale customer base is also another huge plus that will help balance out the senior and student housing that has seemed to dominate.
The Bad and Questions:
Nothing but good things from my end! Only questions would be how serious this proposal is given the lot's history? The article made it sound like USA Basketball was also part of this development; is that correct? Others are posting as if it is part of the EcoDistrict. If it is part of this development, even better! That's more density, visitors and from the sounds of it, the talks seem pretty legit.

Centerpoint:

The Good
Finally, downtown is getting a mix of entertainment other than bars. Bringing in the dining model is even better, as once again, it will help attract a wealthier consumer base. This is another shot in the he arm to southern downtown- that area has taken the longest to recover, but the visitors of this theater will bring so much more foot traffic to that plaza area that I can't imagine vacancies won't fill up ASAP!
The Bad and Questions
I was really hoping the former hotel proposal would go through. This would have been a great spot for increased height and the design was beautiful and modern. Any chance the renovations will cover the exterior, or should I not get greedy?

Hanover

The Good
A pattern seems to be forming: higher-end consumer base that is desperately needed to diversify the city. Additionally, residential (along with hotel secondary) is absolutely the most important thing downtown needs. 341 units is a huge addition, especially given that they will be marketed toward graduates.

The Bad and Questions
I can't believe this project was approved in its proposed state. This should have, without doubt, been higher and included retail. Given the size of the lot, they could have gone with a combination of a tower (even just combining the garage with the residential floors for 13-stories) to the west, with town home-style units to the east (3-story units above retail). Having a parking garage with more height than the apartment building in the center of downtown is depressing, especially given the future streetcar's proximity. Finally, with the anti-urban Hayden Square to its north, the lack of retail all but eliminates the extension of downtown's core westward. Was certainly hoping Ash/Farmer would mark the transition toward midrise residential neighborhoods.

State Farm

The Good
Great heights for the lake! We were seeing heights slowly dwindling recently, so I am glad that we will be getting heights over 200 feet. Additionally, I am impressed with the amount of retail spread throughout that will help keep the cold, office campus vibe from creating a dead zone along our greatest amenity in town. I also can't imagine that this won't have major impacts on the Eco/Stadium District and SouthBank. I am most interested in SouthBank since I think there is an obvious need now for residential and hotel development in the immediate area.

The Bad and Questions
I will take other's word for it and assume there will be some tweaks to the designs, as the main structures are awfully boxy. Lakefront development should really have more of an upscale feel to it, which this certainly doesn't. I am also a bit disappointed in the orientation, as it looks like Rio Salado has once again been largely ignored. Obviously, it is challenging seeing as the lake frontage is equally important, but that is a challenge the architects should have met. The parking is also just insane. The garage at HFL is bad enough, but two more 8 story structures is unreal. I appreciate that the office and retail has been incorporated into parta but there is still a huge amount of each in the north and south elevations that is complete dead space. I really wish they had made at least one of these subterranean, and I also question the sheer amount with the streetcar coming through.

Lastly, I am a bit disappointed in the "lakefront plaza." Hopefully, I missed something, but all I see are trees and paths?

Spitfiredude
Jun 12, 2013, 5:41 AM
Looks like I finally get to say some positive things about Tempe development. Lots to be excited about! Comments and questions below.

Mill and University

The Good
4-stay hotel with great height and density is a huge score. downtown needs the permanent traffic hotels and apartments bring, especially on the south side. A more upscale customer base is also another huge plus that will help balance out the senior and student housing that has seemed to dominate.
The Bad and Questions:
Nothing but good things from my end! Only questions would be how serious this proposal is given the lot's history? The article made it sound like USA Basketball was also part of this development; is that correct? Others are posting as if it is part of the EcoDistrict. If it is part of this development, even better! That's more density, visitors and from the sounds of it, the talks seem pretty legit.

Centerpoint:

The Good
Finally, downtown is getting a mix of entertainment other than bars. Bringing in the dining model is even better, as once again, it will help attract a wealthier consumer base. This is another shot in the he arm to southern downtown- that area has taken the longest to recover, but the visitors of this theater will bring so much more foot traffic to that plaza area that I can't imagine vacancies won't fill up ASAP!
The Bad and Questions
I was really hoping the former hotel proposal would go through. This would have been a great spot for increased height and the design was beautiful and modern. Any chance the renovations will cover the exterior, or should I not get greedy?

Hanover

The Good
A pattern seems to be forming: higher-end consumer base that is desperately needed to diversify the city. Additionally, residential (along with hotel secondary) is absolutely the most important thing downtown needs. 341 units is a huge addition, especially given that they will be marketed toward graduates.

The Bad and Questions
I can't believe this project was approved in its proposed state. This should have, without doubt, been higher and included retail. Given the size of the lot, they could have gone with a combination of a tower (even just combining the garage with the residential floors for 13-stories) to the west, with town home-style units to the east (3-story units above retail). Having a parking garage with more height than the apartment building in the center of downtown is depressing, especially given the future streetcar's proximity. Finally, with the anti-urban Hayden Square to its north, the lack of retail all but eliminates the extension of downtown's core westward. Was certainly hoping Ash/Farmer would mark the transition toward midrise residential neighborhoods.

State Farm

The Good
Great heights for the lake! We were seeing heights slowly dwindling recently, so I am glad that we will be getting heights over 200 feet. Additionally, I am impressed with the amount of retail spread throughout that will help keep the cold, office campus vibe from creating a dead zone along our greatest amenity in town. I also can't imagine that this won't have major impacts on the Eco/Stadium District and SouthBank. I am most interested in SouthBank since I think there is an obvious need now for residential and hotel development in the immediate area.

The Bad and Questions
I will take other's word for it and assume there will be some tweaks to the designs, as the main structures are awfully boxy. Lakefront development should really have more of an upscale feel to it, which this certainly doesn't. I am also a bit disappointed in the orientation, as it looks like Rio Salado has once again been largely ignored. Obviously, it is challenging seeing as the lake frontage is equally important, but that is a challenge the architects should have met. The parking is also just insane. The garage at HFL is bad enough, but two more 8 story structures is unreal. I appreciate that the office and retail has been incorporated into parta but there is still a huge amount of each in the north and south elevations that is complete dead space. I really wish they had made at least one of these subterranean, and I also question the sheer amount with the streetcar coming through.

Lastly, I am a bit disappointed in the "lakefront plaza." Hopefully, I missed something, but all I see are trees and paths?

Great analyzing. Like a couple have said on here, I am keeping my fingers crossed that the design for the State Farm project is very conceptual, so I would wait to see in the coming weeks/months if anything changes.

As for Hanover, what a complete disappointment! I am excited that nearly 350 units will be added (that means HUGE chance for grocery store), but ONLY 6 stories!? How boring...10-15 would have done the job.

Not only should AMC fill up space, but it should also bring in more retail to the southern part of Mill Ave/DTT. Hopefully we see a vertical development soon on the lot on the SE corner of Mill and 7th street. 10-20 stories would be appropriate there.

Speaking of lots there aren't many left along the Mill corridor:
Mill & 3rd street
Mill & 7th street

Luckily there is still plenty of space along Farmer and Ash Avenue. I hope we see development kick up around here. If we don't see 8+ floor developments along Ash between 5th & 3rd streets, there is practically no chance to see the skyline between the lake and W6 (future University w/hotel) connect.

Arquitect
Jun 12, 2013, 3:44 PM
Great analyzing. Like a couple have said on here, I am keeping my fingers crossed that the design for the State Farm project is very conceptual, so I would wait to see in the coming weeks/months if anything changes.

Those are definitely conceptual renderings. I would guess that they still didn't have a landscape architect on-board for the project. That is probably the part of the project that will change the most.

Tempe_Duck
Jun 12, 2013, 6:19 PM
The USA Basketball facility..

I didn't see any mention of an arena. Are they going to play in the convention center or will a USA BB arena be built?

Arquitect
Jun 12, 2013, 7:04 PM
The USA Basketball facility..

I didn't see any mention of an arena. Are they going to play in the convention center or will a USA BB arena be built?

The previous design for Glendale included several training courts, as well as offices, and a sort of museum, but it had no actual arena component. My guess is that this would follow a similar program.

I would assume that any games would be played at either US Airways, or at the new ASU arena (most likely the later). The money from the EcoDistrict, is being used to update not only the football stadium, but also the basketball arena. I am sure ASU would enjoy the free publicity from hosting any games.

That being said, the full Men's team will probably continue to play in Las Vegas or other large venues (I believe they have played at the Staples Center before). Most events that would take place in Tempe would probably for youth teams.

MegaBass
Jun 13, 2013, 11:46 PM
Arizona Republic Anne Ryman tweeted (https://twitter.com/anneryman/status/345315968618201088):

AZ Regents give green light for ASU to negotiate with developer for hotel/conference center on Tempe campus.

alexico
Jun 14, 2013, 3:08 AM
the triathlon story went under or left... I knew it was just a mater of time.

ASUSunDevil
Jun 14, 2013, 4:38 PM
ASU looks to develop center

By Anne Ryman and Jeff Metcalfe
Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:12 AM
Arizona State University officials plan to start negotiating with a private developer for a mixed-use development that includes a hotel and conference center on the Tempe campus after getting the go-ahead Thursday from the Arizona Board of Regents.

As part of the development, USA Basketball, the national governing body responsible for choosing U.S. Olympic teams, plans to relocate to Tempe, multiple sources told azcentral sports this week.

The board gave ASU approval to negotiate leasing land to a private corporation, USA Place LLC, for a hotel and conference center at the southeastern corner of Mill Avenue and University Drive. Morgan Olsen, ASU’s executive vice president and chief financial officer, said formal talks will begin as soon as possible.

Officials expect to bring a final agreement back to the regents in August.

Plans call for a four-star hotel with at least 300 guest rooms and at least 30,000 square feet of conference facilities. The hotel and conference center would be constructed no later than the end of 2015.

Conceptual plans for the site also include an events center that could seat several thousand people for athletic events and performances. Also possible are multifamily rental housing, office space and service-oriented retail, such as a restaurant or a small grocery store.

The 10-acre site now includes a Chili’s restaurant, parking lots and a former shopping center.

Regent Anne Mariucci called the development an “exciting deal,” and one that is large and complex with many moving parts.

“I think it’s an excellent example of the role universities can play in generating economic opportunity for the state,” she said. “The possible addition of USA Basketball is very exciting and would be a real win for the university and the state.”

ASU officials have declined to confirm whether USA Basketball would be at the site.

The university will be able to identify specific tenants once officials complete negotiations with the developer, Olsen said. He said no agreements are in place.

USA Basketball has been based in Colorado Springs, Colo., since 1979.

Tempe officials view the proposed project as a big boost to downtown, bringing more visitors to Mill Avenue and the surrounding area. The conference center is a partnership with the city of Tempe.

“I think it will be another element added to all the offerings we have there. Sports, music and theater are basically kind of our staples,” said Nancy Hormann, executive director and president of Downtown Tempe Community, which manages the Mill Avenue District.

Hormann served on an advisory committee that gave input into development proposals. She said USA Basketball was proposed for the site along with a conference center and a hotel.

“As far as what we read, we were very excited about a full-on sports facility centering on basketball,” she said.

The timeline for relocation of USA Basketball is unclear. The senior national teams could continue to train elsewhere.

The men’s team trained in Las Vegas before the 2012 London Olympics.

HooverDam
Jun 14, 2013, 6:15 PM
Huh that bit about an event center seating a few thousand is interesting. Possible replacement for WFA? Or perhaps something with a smaller capacity. I wonder if its the latter if ASU wrestling and gymnastics would be able to use it as we'll (with USA basketball of course having priority).

MegaBass
Jun 14, 2013, 7:36 PM
Huh that bit about an event center seating a few thousand is interesting. Possible replacement for WFA? Or perhaps something with a smaller capacity. I wonder if its the latter if ASU wrestling and gymnastics would be able to use it as we'll (with USA basketball of course having priority).

Wouldn't be surprised if WFA is replaced. From what I've heard from those close to SDA is that its either that or they renovate and reduce the capacity of it. Though I'm having a hard time visualizing arena on Tempe Center site if its also going to have a hotel and convention center. Then why not put those over by University Square/surface parking site?

dtnphx
Jun 14, 2013, 9:08 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if WFA is replaced. From what I've heard from those close to SDA is that its either that or they renovate and reduce the capacity of it. Though I'm having a hard time visualizing arena on Tempe Center site if its also going to have a hotel and convention center. Then why not put those over by University Square/surface parking site?

WFA, SDA? :shrug:

phxSUNSfan
Jun 14, 2013, 9:12 PM
WFA, SDA? :shrug:

WFA = Wells Fargo Arena
SDA = Sun Devil Athletics

HooverDam
Jun 14, 2013, 9:36 PM
WFA = Wells Fargo Arena

AKA the Activity Center!

I miss that name, it seemed so small town and charming. I understand the corporate naming but Iowa or Iowa St, I forget which, already plays in a Wells Fargo Arena. Why not just call ours "The Wells Fargo Activity Center."

I mean damn, Activity Center, it's awesome sounding. It sounds like a place Will Ferrell and John C Rley would practice karate moves.

Arquitect
Jun 15, 2013, 1:17 AM
More cool news coming out of ASU!

This one had been mentioned before, but there is more concrete news about the solar panel structures that are planned for the Tempe campus. I am really surprised about how big these will be. Some of them 35 feet tall! I really love how committed ASU is to renewable energy and urbanity (shade makes our environments more walkable, hence facilitates urbanity.) I believe that they are close to achieving 40% of the peak hour power for all campuses from their renewable power sources.

Anyhow, here is the article:

Memorial Union

Crews will begin installation on June 18 of a PowerParasol solar power plant and shade structure directly north and west of the Memorial Union, at the intersection of Orange Mall and Cady Mall.

Pedestrian access will be restricted on Orange and Cady Malls until mid-August. The Memorial Union project should be fully complete by November 2013.

Visitors to the Memorial Union this summer can access the building from entrances on the north, west and south. Foot traffic will be rerouted around the construction zone and pedestrians are encouraged to follow detour signs and exercise caution while travelling near the site, said Karl Edelhoff, ASU solar project manager.

Gammage Parkway

Solar arrays will be erected in the medians of Gammage Parkway, north of Grady Gammage Memorial Auditorium and south of the Farmer Education and the School of Music buildings.

Construction crews will fence off the area around the medians at the beginning of July. Metered parking on the north and south sides of Gammage Parkway will close until the project is complete in November. According to Edelhoff, contractors do not anticipate any road closures on Gammage Parkway, but pedestrians and drivers should exercise caution in these areas as well.

“These projects are the first deployment of the PowerParasols over pedestrian space,” said David Brixen, associate vice president for ASU Facilities Development and Management. “They are designed to create the most dramatic pedestrian experience of any campus solar array.”

Source:
https://asunews.asu.edu/20130613_TempeCampus_PowerParasols

https://asunews.asu.edu/files/imagecache/story_main_image/solar-map-tempe.jpg

https://asunews.asu.edu/files/imagecache/story_main_image/orange_cady_malls_-_6-3-13_2_2_page_2.jpg

https://asunews.asu.edu/files/imagecache/story_main_image/orange_cady_malls_-_6-3-13_2_2_page_1.jpg

https://asunews.asu.edu/files/imagecache/story_main_image/gammage_pkwy_-_6-3-13_2_2_page_1.jpg

phxSUNSfan
Jun 15, 2013, 1:35 AM
More cool news coming out of ASU!

This one had been mentioned before, but there is more concrete news about the solar panel structures that are planned for the Tempe campus.

I like them all except that "power parasol" over Gammage Parkway. It looks completely out of place and makes the campus, in this area, look like a mishmash of things thrown in over the decades. I like the structures over Cady/Orange more so than the current shade provided by the smaller parasols that don't really work.

MegaBass
Jun 15, 2013, 5:07 AM
I like them all except that "power parasol" over Gammage Parkway. It looks completely out of place and makes the campus, in this area, look like a mishmash of things thrown in over the decades. I like the structures over Cady/Orange more so than the current shade provided by the smaller parasols that don't really work.

I would rather have a power parasol over between Wilson and Moeur for the Farmers Market. From the photo it just looks a bit redundant to have it over the Pringles shade structures.

phxSUNSfan
Jun 15, 2013, 7:44 PM
I would rather have a power parasol over between Wilson and Moeur for the Farmers Market. From the photo it just looks a bit redundant to have it over the Pringles shade structures.

It would be redundant if those Pringles shade structures actually worked. :P The shade they provide is haphazard and doesn't really cover the entire outdoor food court area. The new power parasols will be much better. I would be surprised if they kept the Pringles...or maybe, it will add visually to the power parasols if they are kept. I have never paid attention, and have rarely been by the MU at night, but are the Pringles lit up at night? I was told different colored LEDs light them up.

Jjs5056
Jun 16, 2013, 1:52 AM

As for Hanover, what a complete disappointment! I am excited that nearly 350 units will be added (that means HUGE chance for grocery store), but ONLY 6 stories!? How boring...10-15 would have done the job.

Not only should AMC fill up space, but it should also bring in more retail to the southern part of Mill Ave/DTT. Hopefully we see a vertical development soon on the lot on the SE corner of Mill and 7th street. 10-20 stories would be appropriate there.

Speaking of lots there aren't many left along the Mill corridor:
Mill & 3rd street
Mill & 7th street

Luckily there is still plenty of space along Farmer and Ash Avenue. I hope we see development kick up around here. If we don't see 8+ floor developments along Ash between 5th & 3rd streets, there is practically no chance to see the skyline between the lake and W6 (future University w/hotel) connect.

Yes, I have been saying for quite some time that my main issue with many of the new proposals is the longterm impact on Tempe's skyline and, more importantly, density. Argo, HFL III, Hanover, Block 12, etc. are all fine projects on the surface, but there is very little vacant land left in the immediate vicinity of Mill, and 6 story projects will limit density in the long-run, particularly when there is already a lack of residential options- the only high rise is mainly marketed to students, and the rest of the residential development is going on Apache.

Future Dense/High Rise Development
Unfortunately, the situation isn't any better on Farmer/Ash. Farmer, which once was meant as a gateway between skyscrapers on Mill and dense, low rise neighborhoods to the west, is now becoming filled with low rise senior housing, as another (even smaller) project is underway. Ash/Uni, once slated for a 19ish story condo project on top of a grocer, is now going to house a 1 sorry grocer at most and parking for Chase. Hopefully, the streetcar encourages real development heading north on Ash (in between the sea of massive parking garages), but I don't think high rises are likely or would even be appropriate - this area was meant to be a buffer/transition in terms of heights. Maybe over near US Airways could work?

Finally, with Hanover getting the green light, hopes of a real skyline to balance out W6 are pretty much gone. Marina Heights will at least help visually create something nice and dramatic along the lake, but downtown projects have just not been bringing in that kind of height. Maybe Mill/7th and the University Square lot will go the route of Mill/Uni and we can get a few 12ish story apartments mixed in with low rise commercial, but I think we are more likely to see just the latter. Mill/3rd seems like it might take ages for any investment... that northern portion of downtown is still so disconnected, with the 3+ Mill proposals failing, the poor integration of HFL into downtown/the street, and the massive parking structures that fill the areas near the commercial buildings like Gateway.

Again, I am sorry if that is negative. But, while the boom was a bit unrealistic in terms of demographics and heights (luxury condos instead of market rentals; 30-stories instead of 15), the planning was actually dead-on with the variety of hotel, residential, commercial, amenities, etc. being proposed and the location of each, with a heavy focus on bringing residents and foot traffic to the core. Some of these new projects, while still urban and nicely designed and so on, are a consolation that I think could be longterm misses. A few examples:
W6: seasonal, mixed income instead of permanent, high income residents
Hanover: low rise with one use instead of high rise mixed use (total miss for height, density and mixed use project in the core and on the future streetcar path)
Farmer: two low rise senior housing/low income projects instead of midrise market rentals and public amenities like the Tempe library branch that was included in the original proposal (huge loss for the longterm)
Ash/Uni: parking lot or garage and *maybe* 1 story grocery instead of high rise/high income residential over grocery
College/Uni: low rise Church extension instead of midrise seasonal/mixed income residential

The Positive
Ending on a positive note, just reiterating that Mill/Uni will be great as long as the midrise/high rise hotel on the corner is built. Additionally, while the hotel proposal for the theater was gorgeous, the AMC is a great addition, as is all of the retail and commercial filling up existing space along Mill. Downtown Tempe is doing great, I just wish the new projects/construction were planned a bit better. Because once these lots are filled, and there are very few permanent residents, amenities like grocers will look elsewhere. And, so more projects will pop up outside of the core, outside of the light rail's reach, etc. Thus, why I wish the streetcar would go all the way down Rio Salado instead of Apache, so that at least if downtown land gets filled with low rises, the lake (which will likely continue to attract the next wave of development) would at least be connected to the core and encourage TOD instead of anti-urban high rises like the Biltmore area, for example, or HFL even. But, alas... the streetcar will end west of Packard if it even gets built on Rio at all.

ASU and students are just not the permanent, longterm solution... If that is the vision the city wants, then great! But, that's not what the city says it wants, so their actions need to start supporting that. Just my opinion that I am more than happy to debate and discuss, and would LOVE to be proven wrong on by way of new proposals. :)

MegaBass
Jun 16, 2013, 4:22 AM
It would be redundant if those Pringles shade structures actually worked. :P The shade they provide is haphazard and doesn't really cover the entire outdoor food court area. The new power parasols will be much better. I would be surprised if they kept the Pringles...or maybe, it will add visually to the power parasols if they are kept. I have never paid attention, and have rarely been by the MU at night, but are the Pringles lit up in at night? I was told different color LEDs light them up.

They are lit up at night (http://www.flickr.com/photos/arvindramachander/5104515879/in/photolist-8M4YJt-8UqENi-82MUon/) but like you say hardly anyone around by then to notice.

phxSUNSfan
Jun 16, 2013, 4:29 AM
They are lit up at night (http://www.flickr.com/photos/arvindramachander/5104515879/in/photolist-8M4YJt-8UqENi-82MUon/) but like you say hardly anyone around by then to notice.

There are plenty of people around...especially coming out of Hayden at night and the lower levels of the MU, but I just never paid attention to them and didn't walk in that direction. I always walked south from University when I went to the library at night.

asugrad
Jun 18, 2013, 4:16 AM
yeah, ASU does a poor job of keeping up the maintenance on the LEDs. Half of them are broken off the supports or completely gone. Mostly because they are in the low planters near a high traffic area.

MegaBass
Jun 18, 2013, 3:39 PM
yeah, ASU does a poor job of keeping up the maintenance on the LEDs. Half of them are broken off the supports or completely gone. Mostly because they are in the low planters near a high traffic area.

Yeah fences are already in place for MU power parasol/walk-only zone. Bummer it will done by tail end of the semester. Lot 19 panel supports are up and Lot 41 (law school surface lot) is also underway. Noticed there's something being built by what was Hayden's outdoor dropbox.

ApacheRedevelopment
Jun 18, 2013, 7:09 PM
Tempe helps Lennar Multifamily and Resmark Apartment Living celebrate groundbreaking of luxury apartment community at Town Lake

Posted Date: 6/18/2013

Karen Diehl

(310) 473-8090

TEMPE, AZ – Lennar Multifamily and Resmark Apartment Living hosted business, community and government leaders today to celebrate the groundbreaking of a 328-unit apartment project set on 5.72 acres in an unparalleled location south of the Tempe Center for the Arts on Rio Salado Parkway, adjacent to Tempe Town Lake and Arizona State University.

“Tempe welcomes Lennar, Resmark and all the residents of this fantastic new project as they become integrated members of our community,” said Tempe Mayor Mark Mitchell. “This location and the surrounding amenities set the scene for tremendous quality of life. We know your residents will be very happy here.”

“We are pleased to partner with Resmark,” said Scott Johnson, of Lennar Multifamily. “The project will offer best-in-class apartment living to those who seek great walkability and a carefree lifestyle address in an unparalleled Tempe location.”

The project design features five-story buildings set around greenbelts, with many attractive amenities including two swimming pools, cabana seating areas, a state-of-the-art fitness center with water views and a clubhouse with rooftop patio offering sweeping views of the lake, downtown Phoenix and downtown Tempe.

The 328 residences will range from studios to three bedrooms with spacious floor plans, ceiling heights will range from nine to 19 feet, and residences will have either a balcony or patio. Residences are designed with top quality finishes including plank wood flooring, contemporary cabinetry, granite or quartz countertops and stainless steel appliances.

“This community is an ideal fit for Resmark’s multifamily investment program. It’s a centrally located infill development in a thriving district. Additionally, we have a respected and experienced partner in Lennar, who has earned a strong brand name in the Valley of the Sun and shares our high standards for quality and value,” said Ziv Cohen, Chief Operating Officer, Resmark Apartment Living.

The community’s location offers easy access to area freeways and transportation, such as the light rail system connections to downtown Tempe, metro Phoenix and Sky Harbor International Airport. The project also offers an appealing lifestyle option with a mix of outdoor recreation at the lake, noted as Arizona’s second most popular attraction, and abundant shopping, dining and entertainment options including the Mill Avenue District and Tempe Marketplace.

Construction is expected to be completed in the first quarter of 2015, with the leasing office anticipated to open in Spring 2014.

About The Resmark Companies
Founded in 1995, Resmark is a leading national private equity firm focused on real estate and powered by core foundational discipline and focus. A fully integrated real estate investment group, The Resmark Companies' divisions—Resmark Land and Housing, Resmark Apartment Living and Resmark Shopping Centers—finance, acquire, develop and manage real estate in the Western United States, including California, Washington and Arizona, as well as in other select major metropolitan markets nationwide. To date, Resmark has participated in over 140 projects encompassing more than 23,000 single-family and multifamily residential units. Headquartered in Los Angeles, Resmark also maintains corporate offices in San Diego and La Jolla. For additional information, please visit www.Resmark.com

About Lennar Multifamily
Lennar Multifamily is a real estate investment company started by Lennar Corporation (NYSE:LEN), one of the nation’s leading homebuilders, as an initiative to combine its financial and entrepreneurial strength with favorable apartment fundamentals nationwide. Founded in mid-2011, Lennar Multifamily is focused on assembling a geographically diversified portfolio of institutional quality multifamily rental properties using both a development and value-add acquisition strategy in selected U.S. markets. Lennar Multifamily co-invests with both institutional and private equity partners, providing the partnerships with fully integrated service capabilities, including construction management, asset management and property management. Lennar Multifamily’s investment strategy is a market research based approach, focusing on risk-adjusted yields on properties in quality urban, Transit Oriented Developments and suburban locations. For additional information, please visit www.Lennar.com.

-----
Facebook.com/Apache.Redevelopment

MegaBass
Jun 19, 2013, 12:15 AM
Some photos from ASU Facilities Twitter:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BMa6aD7CMAAYIsL.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BNEntApCUAE9kmr.jpg

Spitfiredude
Jun 23, 2013, 8:19 PM
I walked by Milk and Honey (W6) today and the owner was inside with a business partner scoping out the place. I asked him what the news was on the place and apparently they are going to complete the project and open within 30-60 days. According to him, the city and landlord were both giving them problems which stalled construction. They were going to scrap the project, but they decided with the new apartment complex, theater and apparently a "planned" complex on Farmer that it would be in their best interest to finish the project. He says they will have produce, meat, a bakery, and packaged items. He said they will have a small section of cleaning supplies and personal items too. I am excited for this project. Apparently this will leave only one vacant spot left in the West 6th strip mall.

TempeSilverFox
Jun 23, 2013, 8:37 PM
I walked by Milk and Honey (W6) today and the owner was inside with a business partner scoping out the place. I asked him what the news was on the place and apparently they are going to complete the project and open within 30-60 days. According to him, the city and landlord were both giving them problems which stalled construction. They were going to scrap the project, but they decided with the new apartment complex, theater and apparently a "planned" complex on Farmer that it would be in their best interest to finish the project. He says they will have produce, meat, a bakery, and packaged items. He said they will have a small section of cleaning supplies and personal items too. I am excited for this project. Apparently this will leave only one vacant spot left in the West 6th strip mall.

This is exciting! Thanks for sharing this. ANY grocery store is better than our current situation. I still wish Trader Joes would move into the area. I think they would do phenomenal business if they located at Ash and University (where Whole Foods is allegedly going to locate- and I still think they are WRONG for the area and crazy for leaving their current location) or at the SE corner lot behind Chilis- as part of the new hotel/conference/basketball whatever that is planned for the area.

MegaBass
Jun 25, 2013, 4:30 PM
Fences are down at McCord Hall. I'll have photos up later.

DaveInTHX
Jun 26, 2013, 2:18 PM
Speaking of... Fences just went UP at Hayden Ferry Lakeside, NE corner of Mill and Rio Salado. Assuming for Phase 3?

Spitfiredude
Jun 26, 2013, 6:24 PM
Speaking of... Fences just went UP at Hayden Ferry Lakeside, NE corner of Mill and Rio Salado. Assuming for Phase 3?

Looks like work is going to start on the new office tower. I went by today and it looks like they have brought in heavy work equipment and what not. They also have signage that says "construction zone" and it advertises the Ryan Cos. Can't wait to see a tower crane in that spot soon. I also noticed some people from the COT & APS scoping out the site of Marina Heights...interesting.

MegaBass
Jun 27, 2013, 3:16 AM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Gd8UBnPV2a8/Ucut3ccUv-I/AAAAAAAAAV0/5VW80T4rdjg/w573-h428-no/photo+%25281%2529.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-HfWZ8FrgyPM/Ucut8neW-ZI/AAAAAAAAAWM/Ty_xs04JE10/w573-h428-no/photo.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-AXA7wDYifoA/Ucut7kX0_jI/AAAAAAAAAWE/Lz7y4gjhpYo/w573-h428-no/photo+%25286%2529.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-_3di2SXUmpE/Ucut3-54RTI/AAAAAAAAAV8/RxFHLBSkQWo/w573-h428-no/photo+%25284%2529.JPG

nickw252
Jun 27, 2013, 3:30 AM
Looks like work is going to start on the new office tower. I went by today and it looks like they have brought in heavy work equipment and what not. They also have signage that says "construction zone" and it advertises the Ryan Cos. Can't wait to see a tower crane in that spot soon. I also noticed some people from the COT & APS scoping out the site of Marina Heights...interesting.

I thought phase III was still just speculation. If not this is great news.

dtnphx
Jun 27, 2013, 4:22 PM

Have permits even been issued? Surprised if it were a go so soon, but a good thing if it is.

PHX31
Jun 27, 2013, 4:48 PM
McCord hall is looking good. I'll miss the sunken tennis courts and the fountains next to the MU, but their demise is worth it.

ASUSunDevil
Jun 27, 2013, 5:06 PM
McCord hall is looking good. I'll miss the sunken tennis courts and the fountains next to the MU, but their demise is worth it.

Some incredible sightseeing could be done from those tennis courts. That being said, the new business building looks awesome.

I drove by Hayden 3 this morning and they are definitely starting construction. More height on the lake :cheers: Catch up, Oliver McMillan.

phxSUNSfan
Jun 27, 2013, 5:22 PM

There are still fountains around MU, just not the gushing kind. I do like McChord Hall, though it looks different from what was originally proposed. I do like the shiny opening in the middle of the span between the wings of the building. These were some of the original renderings:
http://jsethanderson.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/business2.jpg
http://jsethanderson.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/business1.jpg

I can't decide if I like the original renderings or not...The second one makes McChord Hall look very small. And I don't like when they design funky elevation changes with staircases.

azsunsurfer
Jun 27, 2013, 6:54 PM
Looks like the dirt site next to Chompies is slated to become 'higher end' student housing. It appears to be floor stories, kind of pedestrian design but decent. There appears to be no ground floor retail especially in the applicant's documents in which they talk about the vacant retail space on the ground floor of the development across the street.

dtnphx
Jun 27, 2013, 10:28 PM
Final construction of Hayden Ferry ramping up

Kristena Hansen, Reporter, Phoenix Business Journal

If you’ve driven through downtown Tempe recently, you may have noticed some construction activity commencing at the now-fenced off northeast corner of Mill Avenue and Rio Salado Parkway.

Well, you were witnessing the infant stages of the third and final office tower at the Hayden Ferry Lakeside development.

Orlando-based Parkway Properties Inc. (NYSE: PKY), which finished acquiring the entire Hayden Ferry project last year, is now ramping up construction of the $100 million tower in hopes of wrapping up sometime in 2015, Matt Mooney, the firm’s local spokesman, told me this afternoon.

Blueprints call for 260,000 square feet of Class A office space that will stand at 10 stories, making it the second largest of the soon-to-be Hayden Ferry trio. Hayden Ferry I is about 205,000 square feet and eight stories tall, while Hayden Ferry II stands at 12 stories and 300,000 square feet. Both existing towers are almost fully leased and include tenants such as Silicon Valley Bank, KPMG and Microsoft.

Ryan Cos. is the general contractor for the third tower.

No pre-leases have been signed thus far, but because development in the downtown Tempe submarket has been catching fire lately, Parkway thinks it’ll be unlikely the tower will be built as a spec, Mooney said.

“We are not at the point in the design process where we have to make that decision yet, and based on the incredible interest we have in the project today, we don’t anticipate it being a spec versus pre-lease decision,” he said. “The demand is already there to allow us to push toward an early 2015 delivery.”

Parkway, a real estate investment trust, began gradually taking over the Hayden Ferry project, which sits on the south side of Tempe Town Lake, in mid-2011 with the $40 million purchase of Hayden Ferry I. That transaction also included the land, which had previously been owned by the city until its eight-year Government Property Lease Excise Tax incentive expired the year prior.

Early last year, Parkway acquired Hayden Ferry II for $86 million. That parcel’s GPLET, however, is still active and thus is owned by the city; the land will transfer over to Parkway ownership once the incentive expires.

Then in September, Parkway purchased the 3.5-acre parcel slated for tower III from Scottsdale-based Sunbelt Holdings Inc. for $3.5 million. In a separate transaction, the REIT also acquired the adjacent parking garage for $12.7 million.

Parkway has been one of the most active buyers of downtown Tempe office space recently, investing more than $250 million in the submarket thus far.

Earlier this year, it took over 75 percent ownership interest in the US Airways headquarters building, located catty corner from Hayden Ferry on the southwest corner of Mill and Rio Salado for about $42 million.

It also paid another $66.1 million in January for the nearly 264,000-square-foot Tempe Gateway office building, which is next to the US Airways facility along Mill Avenue.

Kristena Hansen covers residential and commercial real estate.

MegaBass
Jun 27, 2013, 11:35 PM
Looks like the dirt site next to Chompies is slated to become 'higher end' student housing. It appears to be floor stories, kind of pedestrian design but decent. There appears to be no ground floor retail especially in the applicant's documents in which they talk about the vacant retail space on the ground floor of the development across the street.

The Residences at University Center (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=593866970644208&set=a.294947737202801.75980.285858364778405&type=1&theater) (PL130137) a new 292 unit, 4-story, multi-family residential development.

MegaBass
Jun 27, 2013, 11:40 PM

Tennis courts were relocated by Sonora Center (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151178884748713&set=a.10151178884508713.473715.36670128712&type=3&theater).

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/66190_10151178884748713_1176540791_n.jpg

DevilsRider
Jun 28, 2013, 2:42 PM
Here's a couple pics of the Hayden Ferry construction zone. Obviously not much yet, but I'll try to swing by every few weeks for updates.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5500/9157791603_081e0671e5.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5441/9160017300_7c488f408d.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2815/9160017536_5ed66475d7.jpg

Tempe_Duck
Jun 28, 2013, 9:21 PM
Tennis courts were relocated by Sonora Center (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151178884748713&set=a.10151178884508713.473715.36670128712&type=3&theater).

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/66190_10151178884748713_1176540791_n.jpg

If I am not mistaken, those courts have been there since Sonora was built.

MegaBass
Jun 29, 2013, 1:40 AM
If I am not mistaken, those courts have been there since Sonora was built.

The basketball court was there but I recall them constructing the tennis courts last summer. You can see here from this Google satellite view (http://norrishproject2.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/norrishproject2/).

azsunsurfer
Jul 3, 2013, 1:50 PM
If it's worth anything there was an article awhile back in the Phoenix Biz Journal mentioning that the stalled site at the NW corner of Scottsdale and Curry had been sold to another multifamily developer who apparently has a proven track record. They plan to resume construction at the end of the year.

azsunsurfer
Jul 17, 2013, 4:55 PM
I was driving home from work yesterday on the 202 and I noticed that some preliminary site work has started on the State Farm/ Marina Heights Development. I noticed a tractor digging up some earth and the side closest to the lake. I also thought I saw some trailers on-site at lot 59.

Spitfiredude
Jul 18, 2013, 1:15 AM
I was driving home from work yesterday on the 202 and I noticed that some preliminary site work has started on the State Farm/ Marina Heights Development. I noticed a tractor digging up some earth and the side closest to the lake. I also thought I saw some trailers on-site at lot 59.

I think its just some utility relocation. That's what it looks like. I drove by there today on my way to the store. They have a water truck, a backhoe, and an excavator. I'm sure it is prep for Marina Heights, but I don't think they said development would start till September for this project.

Also I noticed construction for HFL 3 is progressing very slowly. I am assuming they will take 18-24 months to complete this tower at the pace they are going.

TempeSilverFox
Jul 20, 2013, 9:31 PM
Hi everyone! I went for a bike ride and a brief hike up A Mountain this morning and then also on an "urban adventure" and took my first ride on the Sky Train at Sky Harbor! Just wanted to share some pics. Hope everyone is having a good weekend so far.

Below is the Argo at Town Lake. Things seem to be moving right along!

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG2700_zpsee791e9e.jpg (http://s1165.photobucket.com/user/TempeSilverFox/media/IMAG2700_zpsee791e9e.jpg.html)

Here is the site of HFL #3 from A Mountain. Just dirt moving around so far...

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG2702_zps4f667114.jpg

The Marriott and the green roof of the Tempe Transportation Center:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG2704_zps55645542.jpg

The Hub, Block 12 and the Marriott:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG2707_zpsea83402c.jpg

The Hub:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG2709_zpsc1f5abcc.jpg

Future home of Marina Heights!:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG2713_zps63d63d14.jpg

From the summit:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG2717_zps2a3e4da8.jpg

Roof of the Sky Train station at the Metro stop:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG2737_zps1769ea55.jpg

I love this shot- this is the loading platform/ waiting area at the main Sky Train station. It's lovely.

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG2739_zps44464bdb.jpg

nickw252
Jul 20, 2013, 10:38 PM
Nice pictures. Hopefully the Marina Heights and Hayden Ferry start construction soon. That dorm between the Hub and the new Marriott is horrendously ugly.

Jjs5056
Jul 21, 2013, 12:05 AM
The Hub and Marriott aren't much better. :( The Hub is just so overwhelming; the design is really awful in terms of just how massive it is. The L should've been reversed at least, but ideally it should've been 2 towers. Regardless, it's extremely claustrophobic as is and dumping the most oppressive materials and color palette did it no favors.

Great photos, though! Is Block 12 topped out? Is a crane common for a 6-story building?

The parking lots along Forest, Myrtle, and surrounding Chili's are so depressing, especially knowing 1) what was there and demolished, and 2) what was proposed to take their place. I hope the most recent news surrounding the Chili's property is finally the real deal and that it addresses that entire site and not just the Mill/Uni corner.

The University Square lot really needs something above 10 stories. That's a really important piece (along with the M7 site) in shaping downtown and could make or break giving Tempe a (small) skyline (to complement The Hub, Marriott, etc.); connecting Mill with ASU, College Ave, etc.; bringing density east of Mill; helping solidify the northern part of campus as having more of an urban fabric with commercial/non-University projects mixed into educational buildings and such.

Arquitect
Jul 21, 2013, 3:14 PM
The Hub and Marriott aren't much better. :( The Hub is just so overwhelming; the design is really awful in terms of just how massive it is. The L should've been reversed at least, but ideally it should've been 2 towers. Regardless, it's extremely claustrophobic as is and dumping the most oppressive materials and color palette did it no favors.

Great photos, though! Is Block 12 topped out? Is a crane common for a 6-story building?

The parking lots along Forest, Myrtle, and surrounding Chili's are so depressing, especially knowing 1) what was there and demolished, and 2) what was proposed to take their place. I hope the most recent news surrounding the Chili's property is finally the real deal and that it addresses that entire site and not just the Mill/Uni corner.

The University Square lot really needs something above 10 stories. That's a really important piece (along with the M7 site) in shaping downtown and could make or break giving Tempe a (small) skyline (to complement The Hub, Marriott, etc.); connecting Mill with ASU, College Ave, etc.; bringing density east of Mill; helping solidify the northern part of campus as having more of an urban fabric with commercial/non-University projects mixed into educational buildings and such.

Yes, Block 12 is topped out, well half of it, the other half still has to be poured. But the height we see is the final height. And cranes are common for all cast in place concrete work like this. Those forms are really heavy, so a crane is a must.

As for the Chili's parking lot, something is coming soon. But what was there before the parking lot was a really awful strip mall which had huge mold issues. ASU had used it for storage, but the conditions got so bad that they had to demolish it. I'm not a fan of parking lots, but I think it is better than a one story stucco-clad health hazard. Especially knowing that ASU is wanting to develop the lot, and it is just a matter of time before we see that.

alexico
Jul 21, 2013, 3:32 PM
any different pre-pics/examples of what Marina Heights will look like?

http://www.weknowurban.com/blog/2008/02/the-missing-piece-to-tempe-town-lake-2/

ASUSunDevil
Jul 21, 2013, 7:59 PM
Nice pictures. Hopefully the Marina Heights and Hayden Ferry start construction soon. That dorm between the Hub and the new Marriott is horrendously ugly.

That dorm needs a paint job so bad.

Jjs5056
Jul 21, 2013, 10:39 PM
Yes, Block 12 is topped out, well half of it, the other half still has to be poured. But the height we see is the final height. And cranes are common for all cast in place concrete work like this. Those forms are really heavy, so a crane is a must.

As for the Chili's parking lot, something is coming soon. But what was there before the parking lot was a really awful strip mall which had huge mold issues. ASU had used it for storage, but the conditions got so bad that they had to demolish it. I'm not a fan of parking lots, but I think it is better than a one story stucco-clad health hazard. Especially knowing that ASU is wanting to develop the lot, and it is just a matter of time before we see that.

I definitely wouldn't argue that the previous strip mall on Uni/Mill was worth saving, but seeing that massive sea of asphalt in an aerial shot is pretty shocking. I do think the demolition of the Arches (for University Square) was a miss, as we haven't seen any movement there at all and that building, while unattractive, was in decent shape, built up to the street, and filled with tenants.

Thanks for the information regarding the cranes - that definitely makes sense. Does anyone have details regarding the rest of the Block 12 project: site plan, timeline, etc.? At one point, there was a tall, residential component that I hope is still in the works. Gobbling up valuable and limited land in the core and wasting it on 6-story buildings would be a shame, though at least this phase does include dining that doesn't seem to be student-only.

Meanwhile, the College Avenue streetscape plan was recently reviewed, but I can't find details on that, aside from a Facebook announcement when SmithGroupJJR was selected in January: "As part of the SmithGroupJJR team, Wood/Patel was selected by ASU for their College Avenue Streetscape project. The team will provide design services for the streetscape of College Avenue between 6th and 7th Streets and master plan from University Drive to 5th Street in Tempe. We look forward to continuing work with SmithGroupJJR and ASU."
Seems rather silly if I am reading correctly that they're only addressing 6th-7th street? If anything, starting at the south end would make more sense, since the northern end is almost completely developed, but I guess that argument can go both ways.

On a related note, final plans were selected for the University (Priest-Ash) and Broadway (Mill-Rural) streetscape projects, scheduled for late 2014 and early 2015.

1) University: http://www.tempe.gov/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=17674
This plan is rather underwhelming, though the new/enhanced bike lanes will be a benefit. There's no shade on either the north or south sides of the street, with the only landscaping being within the new center medians. However, even those were reduced from earlier stages of the plan to allow for more left-turn availability.

2) Broadway: http://www.tempe.gov/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=18645
The selected concept includes the removal of 1 eastbound lane, addition of bike lanes in both directions, a new 8' privacy wall on the north side, and shaded sidewalks on the south. It does seem a bit strange that there is no sidewalk on the north end, though... no?

exit2lef
Jul 22, 2013, 1:18 AM
On a related note, final plans were selected for the University (Priest-Ash) and Broadway (Mill-Rural) streetscape projects, scheduled for late 2014 and early 2015.

1) University: http://www.tempe.gov/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=17674
This plan is rather underwhelming, though the new/enhanced bike lanes will be a benefit. There's no shade on either the north or south sides of the street, with the only landscaping being within the new center medians. However, even those were reduced from earlier stages of the plan to allow for more left-turn availability.

2) Broadway: http://www.tempe.gov/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=18645
The selected concept includes the removal of 1 eastbound lane, addition of bike lanes in both directions, a new 8' privacy wall on the north side, and shaded sidewalks on the south. It does seem a bit strange that there is no sidewalk on the north end, though... no?

The lack of shade in the University plan is disappointing, although I suppose that could be added later. Two aspects of the plan that I like: 1) New signalized intersections at Roosevelt and Farmer. Right now, there's a long segment between Hardy and Ash where it's difficult for a pedestrian or bicyclist to cross University. Also, more frequent signals should have a traffic calming effect. 2) The strip with a differentiated texture separating the bike lane from the rest of the street. My hope is that this will produce a rumbling feel for the drivers of any cars that stray into the bike lane, giving motorists an opportunity to correct before doing any harm.

My biggest concern is that this plan seems to stop at Ash, but the intersection of Ash and University needs attention. It's currently configured so that cars traveling either way on Ash must turn onto University rather than crossing it. That results in the bike lanes being put in the middle of the street between left and right turns lanes. Unfortunately, there are a lot of drivers, many on them heading into the Chase garages, who disregard the signs and cross over the bike lanes. A redesign of the intersection may be necessary to make it safer.

As for Broadway, I think there are currently sidewalks along the frontage road on the north side of the street. I doubt this project will remove those. It could be that the sidewalks don't show up on the project drawings simply because they won't be changed and are therefore outside the scope of the project.

Arquitect
Jul 22, 2013, 4:50 PM
The lack of shade in the University plan is disappointing, although I suppose that could be added later. Two aspects of the plan that I like: 1) New signalized intersections at Roosevelt and Farmer. Right now, there's a long segment between Hardy and Ash where it's difficult for a pedestrian or bicyclist to cross University. Also, more frequent signals should have a traffic calming effect. 2) The strip with a differentiated texture separating the bike lane from the rest of the street. My hope is that this will produce a rumbling feel for the drivers of any cars that stray into the bike lane, giving motorists an opportunity to correct before doing any harm.

My biggest concern is that this plan seems to stop at Ash, but the intersection of Ash and University needs attention. It's currently configured so that cars traveling either way on Ash must turn onto University rather than crossing it. That results in the bike lanes being put in the middle of the street between left and right turns lanes. Unfortunately, there a lot of drivers, many on them heading into the Chase garages, who disregard the signs and cross over the bike lanes. A redesign of the intersection may be necessary to make it safer.

As for Broadway, I think there are currently sidewalk along the frontage road on the north side of the street. I doubt this project will remove those. It could be that the sidewalks don't show up on the project drawings simply because they won't be changed and are therefore outside the scope of the project.

I agree, the addition of the stop lights is really needed. I have tried to cross University before along this stretch, and it is rather treacherous. Drivers really begin to pick up speed after Ash, and there really are very few breaks in traffic for pedestrians to cross.

The lack of shade is very disappointing. And although more could be added later, I really don't see it happening. I wish city planners understood how big of a difference a few trees can make in making an area walkable.

Does anyone know what happened to the public art component of the University project? Originally, it had been proposed to have several pieces throughout the corridor. And I believe there was an emphasis towards using local artist. I kinda wish that element was still part of the plan.

Jjs5056
Jul 23, 2013, 5:55 AM
The design shows public art being incorporated into the median closest to Ash, and the summary indicates that more art will be installed on light poles- this aren't indicated anywhere else, so not sure how likely it is.

I actually would rather they reallocate the funds spent on the center median for shade (especially given how much they've been reduced), expand them to create linear parks (probably not a viable option, but...), or done the project in phases (extending the project to Mill since it seems strange to go all the way to Ash and end; pause 1 from Mill to Hardy).

Ultimately, I just can't support any streetscape investment if it doesn't even attempt to address shade. That is the number one deterrent to creating walkable neighborhoods in this state, with so many secondary benefits like beautifying our hideous suburban streets, reducing dust and producing oxygen, minimizing the impact of the heat island, etc. The fact that our roads were built this way is mind boggling, but having our leaders, planners, designers and experts develop plans that utilize sizable public funds and don't address tis issue is really unacceptable.

Throwing down rocks and planting non-native, decorative, and/or small trees is bad enough; but, at least TRY.

ASUSunDevil
Jul 23, 2013, 9:47 PM
While not incredibly exciting, the Panda Express is finally under construction on the corner of Rural and Broadway. Staples will be going in next to the Safeway, they will use the excess space to the west. Chick Fil-A is also making progress on Mill and University.

Really excited to see Tempe in a month or so when all of the new projects (Manzanita, The Hub, Marriott, The District, Sun Devil Fitness Center, Power Parasols) are completed and all of this street maintenance is done!

DevilsRider
Jul 23, 2013, 11:31 PM
While not incredibly exciting, the Panda Express is finally under construction on the corner of Rural and Broadway. Staples will be going in next to the Safeway, they will use the excess space to the west.

They're moving pretty quickly on that Panda. Small detail question: does anyone know if that little driveway that connects the Panda Express site/Rural to the Safeway parking lot (right behind the bus shelter) is staying or going away? I swear I see a near-miss almost crash at that driveway every other time I'm over there.

jefe
Jul 24, 2013, 3:30 AM
Really excited to see Tempe in a month or so when all of the new projects (Manzanita, The Hub, Marriott, The District, Sun Devil Fitness Center, Power Parasols) are completed and all of this street maintenance is done!

Don't forget Portillo's at Tempe Marketplace.

TempeSilverFox
Jul 26, 2013, 4:50 AM
Hi there everyone! Hey- just wanted to share this link for anyone who might have an interest. I was on the Tempe General Plan 2040 Workgroup Committee and one of our Brown Bag Lunches dealt with the idea of the 20 Minute City. It's a concept that promotes creating built environments where numerous activities including living space, work, entertainment and services can all be reached either on foot or by bike within a 20 minute span of time. The speaker stated that in many ways Tempe already possesses some of the characteristics of a 20 minute city - but that there is more we could do to make it so (I'm sure we would all agree with this...)
The 20 minute city part starts about 5 minutes into the presentation- but if you want to learn more about the speaker- start from the beginning. You may find the other presentations to be interesting as well. Would love to get everyone's thoughts around this- especially since some of these ideas have been forth in the Tempe General Plan 2040 that will need to be voted on next year!

http://tempe.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=15&clip_id=1532

TempeSilverFox
Jul 26, 2013, 4:59 AM
This is another article I wanted to share entitled "How to Design Our World for Happiness." Some great ideas in here!

http://media.utsandiego.com/news/documents/2013/07/24/how-to-design-our-world.pdf

MegaBass
Jul 26, 2013, 7:49 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/q75/164936_482927815124715_964943014_n.jpg

Arizona State University, Hayden Library Master Plan (http://www.shepleybulfinch.com/project/arizona-state-university/L34/)

The master plan for Arizona State's main research library defines an exceptional research and learning environment for the 21st century, at the heart of the Tempe campus. The plan re-envisions the library as a dynamic intellectual hub for the University's growing population, giving physical form to the vision set forth in the its ambitious institutional strategic plan.

The plan reorients the space from a collection-intensive facility to a patron-focused learning environment, with enhanced research and study spaces, a robust technology and instructional hub, consolidated staff space, and newly prominent and accessible special collections. Strategic decisions about the location of portions of the collection were addressed.

The plan also leverages the library's location at the crossroads of two key pedestrian axes to address a dearth of open space on the campus. A proposed expansion reclaims the sunken courtyard and moat surrounding the library for new, programmable space with a green roof that becomes an extension of the campus' central quad. A new entrance pavilion along one axis will serve as a beacon for the University community.

The phased five-year renovation and expansion will permit uninterrupted library operations.

In addition the renovations of the Lower Level of Hayden (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=597812866916032&set=a.197961316901191.49721.147353931961930&type=1) is set to be ready for the Fall.

https://sphotos-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1069353_597812866916032_661088893_n.jpg