PDA

View Full Version : Tempe Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117

LocoPhoenician
Jan 30, 2017, 8:20 PM
I believe the University is planning to build housing for the Greek system on the SEC of Rural and Terrace where the Cholla dorms used to be. There is a post in this thread somewhere that has renderings of what is proposed.

Edit: Here's a link: http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2016/11/17/headline-asu-plans-72m-greek-housing-development.html

The city needs to do something about the frats and can't wait until they get out of the residential neighborhoods and have their own on campus housing. A fraternity is renting this house in our neighborhood that has a wall. There are charter busses every weekend busing in sorority girls and they blast music all night.

azsunsurfer
Jan 30, 2017, 8:51 PM
My question is about the "Metro Station" area by the lightrail stop. Is the light blue buildings earmarked to be ASU owned and developed? Will it be classroom/ research space? Also surprised to see that they planned to develop the east part of Rural south of University. I didn't know they owned those parcels or were planning to purchase them?

muertecaza
Jan 31, 2017, 4:19 PM
Looks like Carvana is planning on building one of these:

http://i.imgur.com/YVoucOu.jpg

On the vacant lot on the west side of Scottsdale Rd. just north of the 202.

http://i.imgur.com/busIPEqh.jpg

exit2lef
Jan 31, 2017, 4:28 PM
^I must say that would look really cool from the freeway.

muertecaza
Feb 1, 2017, 3:45 AM
Also worth noting that Skyview, the Golub proposal at Rural/Terrace, passed the City Council last week 5-2. It's encouraging to hear a solid cohort of council-members that seem pro-development. But I still can't really make heads or tails about which projects they favor, and which they don't.

Golub has invested a lot of money in preparing the site for development, and is a quality developer. Hope this one gets built. As a reminder of the project:

http://i.imgur.com/x06udksh.jpg

PHXFlyer11
Feb 2, 2017, 3:52 PM
I expected to see more on the 2/15 DRC. There is only one item, and it is very curious to me. Can someone explain the meaning?

Request for a Preliminary Subdivision Plat for MARINA HEIGHTS (PL150232), located at 300 East Rio Salado Parkway. The applicant is Survey Innovation Group, Inc.

Obadno
Feb 2, 2017, 6:25 PM
I expected to see more on the 2/15 DRC. There is only one item, and it is very curious to me. Can someone explain the meaning?

Request for a Preliminary Subdivision Plat for MARINA HEIGHTS (PL150232), located at 300 East Rio Salado Parkway. The applicant is Survey Innovation Group, Inc.

there are still a few retail spots at Marina that haven't been built out yet.

ciweiss
Feb 2, 2017, 7:06 PM
there are still a few retail spots at Marina that haven't been built out yet.

I know Mountainside fitness is supposed to be built/open there shortly. What a great spot.

ASUSunDevil
Feb 4, 2017, 2:21 AM
Coyotes are the absolute worst. Why tease everyone with a press conference and renderings?

ASU should sell the Coyotes the land and have zero involvement - ASU obviously didn't learn much from the Cubs ordeal. ASU should renovate Wells Fargo and let hockey & basketball share it:

Anne Ryman , Mary Jo Pitzl and Jessica Boehm , The Republic | azcentral.com

A plan to build a new home for the Arizona Coyotes in Tempe is dead.

Arizona State University on Friday evening said the university "has no intention of proceeding to sign a development agreement or an option to lease or any other agreement with the Coyotes."

In November, a master developer hired by ASU to develop a 330-acre athletic district south of Tempe Town Lake entered into negotiations with the Coyotes to produce a plan for 58 acres for a new home for the Coyotes and an attached arena for use by Sun Devil Athletics.

Earlier this week, legislation introduced by Sen. Bob Worsley, R-Mesa, would have created a funding mechanism to build the rinks for the Coyotes and ASU. The legislation would create a 28-acre "community engagement district" that would house ice rinks for the Coyotes, as well as ASU's hockey teams within the confines of ASU's Athletic Stadium District.

Worsley said he agreed to sponsor the legislation in order to keep the Coyotes from leaving the state, and because the financing portion of the deal would not sap the state's general fund of existing revenue.

The Coyotes in November held a press conference to announce that plans were in the works to bring the team to Tempe. The announcement was the latest turn in an ongoing drama involving Valley sports teams seeking better facilities. The Arizona Diamondbacks and Phoenix Suns also want new homes. Only the Arizona Cardinals are content playing in University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale.

"The two cannot be connected and there is no desire to conflate the two," he said of financing arrangements, which are also know as tax-increment financing.

ASU Diablo
Feb 4, 2017, 2:42 AM
ASU lack of presence in the public announcement or any type of Catellus representative pretty much signaled its doom.

I really hope this pushes the Yotes and ASU Hockey to look at downtown shared arena. I honestly don't think a renovated WFA shared ASU Hockey/Bball arena will work

PHXFlyer11
Feb 4, 2017, 12:58 PM
ASU lack of presence in the public announcement or any type of Catellus representative pretty much signaled its doom.

I really hope this pushes the Yotes and ASU Hockey to look at downtown shared arena. I honestly don't think a renovated WFA shared ASU Hockey/Bball arena will work

I never did have high hopes for the Tempe site. I think they belong downtown with the Suns as well. It's the only way the Suns will get a new arena as well and they desperately need one.

I just see a lot of the same problems recurring if they locate in Scottsdale. Unfortunately though, that's what I see happening. If I were to bet, it's be that they will get a new arena built on the res.

azsunsurfer
Feb 6, 2017, 2:18 PM
They need to be in the east valley, not the west side (that includes central phoenix).

nickw252
Feb 6, 2017, 4:14 PM
I just see a lot of the same problems recurring if they locate in Scottsdale. Unfortunately though, that's what I see happening. If I were to bet, it's be that they will get a new arena built on the res.

From an urbanist's standpoint I'd prefer downtown Phoenix or Tempe, however, I think that the Coyotes would be successful in Scottsdale. The locations of upper-middle class families and wealthy Canadians support locating in the east valley.

I'm not too upset with the deal in Tempe falling through as I am really tired of taxpayer dollars subsidizing sports franchises. If a sports franchise is not a sustainable business model without taxpayer support, then maybe they should just leave or go out of business.

Obadno
Feb 6, 2017, 4:33 PM
If a sports franchise is not a sustainable business model without taxpayer support, then maybe they should just leave or go out of business.

Couldnt agree more, the billions that Cities and counties throw to sports teams is criminal.

muertecaza
Feb 6, 2017, 6:28 PM

Looks like they're just reconfiguring the lots. Currently Marina Heights and the vacant lot they've used for staging are comprised of three lots. They are going to combine all three, then split them into two--one lot being Marina Heights, and the other being the vacant lot.

https://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=48187

azsunsurfer
Feb 8, 2017, 3:11 PM
Anyone else see that Aura- Watermark has the residential portion under review with Tempe? Can't wait to see the renderings soon at a DRC meeting in the near future!

azsunsurfer
Feb 8, 2017, 3:13 PM
I guess the only disappointing aspect is that it is only going to be about the same height as neighboring VELA that was recently completed :/

dtnphx
Feb 10, 2017, 9:37 PM
What ever happened with this? There are 8 zillion renderings from when it was first introduced in 2011. I thought I remembered something happening regarding this this corner on the NWC of Salt River and Scottsdale Rd.

http://www.federaldesigngroup.com/projects_viewer.php?pro=Hayden-Harbor-Mixed-Use-Development,-Tempe,-Arizona&di=master_planning

Obadno
Feb 10, 2017, 11:06 PM
What ever happened with this? There are 8 zillion renderings from when it was first introduced in 2011. I thought I remembered something happening regarding this this corner on the NWC of Salt River and Scottsdale Rd.

http://www.federaldesigngroup.com/projects_viewer.php?pro=Hayden-Harbor-Mixed-Use-Development,-Tempe,-Arizona&di=master_planning

Page 343 of this topic it is now called Watermark Tempe:https://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=47126

Phase one is starting and looks very promising.

PHXFlyer11
Feb 11, 2017, 1:18 PM
I guess the only disappointing aspect is that it is only going to be about the same height as neighboring VELA that was recently completed :/

Looks like this is proposed at 7-stories.

So we have the parking garage at 8 stories, the office at 16 and the residential at 7. I am pleased with this.

I hope we hear something about The Pier soon. I was always skeptical but hopeful because it looks like such an amazing project.

PHXFlyer11
Feb 12, 2017, 3:22 PM
Anyone else notice a new crane in Tempe? I tried to peek from the 202. It seemed to be just west of Rural, and south of University but I could be wrong. Another ASU bio building going up?

ASUSunDevil
Feb 12, 2017, 4:31 PM
Anyone else notice a new crane in Tempe? I tried to peek from the 202. It seemed to be just west of Rural, and south of University but I could be wrong. Another ASU bio building going up?

Building C:

https://biodesign.asu.edu/about/institute/master-plan

Jjs5056
Feb 15, 2017, 8:06 AM
The entire presentation of the district is in Tempe's minutes, and it's just so... typical ASU/Tempe. All of the retail faces new interior roadways and resident parks, not Rural or Rio Salado or University; and, the entire north side of SDS is left untouched, which is the one chance to make a connection between ASU, Downtown, and the Lake at once. Nothing about this is coordinated with downtown Tempe and will do exactly what I thought it would -- cannibalize the energy created by other employers from the City for this District that is inaccessible and disconnected.

At best case, a bunch of lowrise offices are being built in a suburb... ? I'll take a tower downtown, thanks. Luckily, as with Mill/Uni, College Ave, etc., ASU tends to never follow through on their ventures, so...

Meanwhile, the Tempe Council is just now creating a visioning doc for downtown... now that Rio Salado has been built out, ASU has finalized its conflicting plans, and the last real development opp looks to be going to a student housing developer. Uhh, great timing. With the west side barring projects over 6 stories, the land west of TCA being used for a spec Biomedical Campus that is totally unnecessary, and the influx of student housing on the east side, I don't see why people are so high on Tempe... I wish Phoenix had SOME kind of geographic focal point damn it.

azsunsurfer
Feb 15, 2017, 5:31 PM
The entire presentation of the district is in Tempe's minutes, and it's just so... typical ASU/Tempe. All of the retail faces new interior roadways and resident parks, not Rural or Rio Salado or University; and, the entire north side of SDS is left untouched, which is the one chance to make a connection between ASU, Downtown, and the Lake at once. Nothing about this is coordinated with downtown Tempe and will do exactly what I thought it would -- cannibalize the energy created by other employers from the City for this District that is inaccessible and disconnected.

At best case, a bunch of lowrise offices are being built in a suburb... ? I'll take a tower downtown, thanks. Luckily, as with Mill/Uni, College Ave, etc., ASU tends to never follow through on their ventures, so...

Meanwhile, the Tempe Council is just now creating a visioning doc for downtown... now that Rio Salado has been built out, ASU has finalized its conflicting plans, and the last real development opp looks to be going to a student housing developer. Uhh, great timing. With the west side barring projects over 6 stories, the land west of TCA being used for a spec Biomedical Campus that is totally unnecessary, and the influx of student housing on the east side, I don't see why people are so high on Tempe... I wish Phoenix had SOME kind of geographic focal point damn it.

Somebody hold my drink.....

-What's wrong with focusing the retail around a pedestrian friendly "neighborhood" environment? Some areas have opportunity for retail along the major arteries. Plus that's not to say that each development such as the high density residential could opt to add retail along Rural if it makes sense and follows the guidelines. Again this is planning document and doesn't guarantee it will look like this when its built out.

-There's a whole pedestrian corridor that leads from the center of this development to the lake....

-There is more here than just another highrise....this project as a mix of densities, land uses and heights. This will create a walkable neighborhood/ urban campus that will be 24/7...something that one highrise won't achieve....and wont rely on a August-May student population to flourish....

-I am sure the area north of the stadium will be earmarked for development at a later date.

-I agree with your last point. However, I think Tempe will still have some redevelopment opportunities in other parts of Tempe thanks to its "progressive" zoning policies.

Obadno
Feb 15, 2017, 5:42 PM

With Tempe built out that office demand will go to other areas like downtown and the Camelback Corridor.

that's fine everyone's be horn-dogging for Tempe recently. Share the love :cheers:

azsunsurfer
Feb 15, 2017, 6:39 PM
I noticed the other day the Salt River Tribe has already started to clearing land off of McClintock and the 202. There were tractors leveling earth. So maybe the soccer complex is happening sooner rather than later?

ciweiss
Feb 18, 2017, 3:01 PM
I drove by the Pier location and saw a couple tractors and some material. Not sure if its been sitting there for years but fingers crossed.

PHXFlyer11
Feb 18, 2017, 4:07 PM
I drove by the Pier location and saw a couple tractors and some material. Not sure if its been sitting there for years but fingers crossed.

I really hope so!

alexico
Feb 19, 2017, 6:03 PM
The city needs to do something about the frats and can't wait until they get out of the residential neighborhoods and have their own on campus housing. A fraternity is renting this house in our neighborhood that has a wall. There are charter busses every weekend busing in sorority girls and they blast music all night.

sounds like fun :cheers: can i get the address and a time when the parties start?

muertecaza
Feb 21, 2017, 9:53 PM
New (I think) renderings for the proposed ASU-affiliated senior living tower at University/Mill, "Mirabella":

http://i.imgur.com/TAnaMGLh.jpg

Obadno
Feb 21, 2017, 10:05 PM
New (I think) renderings for the proposed ASU-affiliated senior living tower at University/Mill, "Mirabella":

http://i.imgur.com/TAnaMGLh.jpg

Im 27 and the last thing I want to be around is college students, why would any retired person want to live on Mill?

nickw252
Feb 21, 2017, 10:34 PM
Im 27 and the last thing I want to be around is college students, why would any retired person want to live on Mill?

Hah, I completely agree.

azsunsurfer
Feb 21, 2017, 10:51 PM
I hope that's ground floor retail on all four elevations so JJ won't be angered!

PHXFlyer11
Feb 21, 2017, 11:20 PM
I hope that's ground floor retail on all four elevations so JJ won't be angered!

He'll also demand a new BRT line and perhaps a base for those dial-a-rides.

All kidding aside... I think the point of this is that it ties into an ASU geriatric program or something correct? I though that was the reason why this is essentially on campus

ASUSunDevil
Feb 22, 2017, 1:00 AM

That's a great looking building.

Also, attending ASU level classes on subjects you've always been interested in + walking to Gammage or StreetCar to ASU sporting events > rotting your brain away with kino and shuffleboard in Sun City. I hope they have vacancy there when I'm 65.

Obadno
Feb 22, 2017, 5:41 PM

Also, attending ASU level classes on subjects you've always been interested in + walking to Gammage or StreetCar to ASU sporting events > rotting your brain away with kino and shuffleboard in Sun City. I hope they have vacancy there when I'm 65.

Hey don't get me wrong, people have different tastes. I don't get this one lol

PhxSprawler
Feb 22, 2017, 6:23 PM

Agreed. All of that sounds like a good retirement to me. Plus, I intend to be a dirty old man who enjoys the eye candy.

ASUSunDevil
Feb 22, 2017, 7:47 PM
Agreed. All of that sounds like a good retirement to me. Plus, I intend to be a dirty old man who enjoys the eye candy.

:cheers:

azsunsurfer
Feb 22, 2017, 8:05 PM
The new apartment proposal for Aura/ Watermark look good!

Obadno
Feb 22, 2017, 8:19 PM

what new proposal?

Also any news on if the Foundry is happening or not? Also whatever happened with the ash proposal

Phxguy
Feb 22, 2017, 8:27 PM

Don't be greedy! Show them renderings!

PHXFlyer11
Feb 23, 2017, 2:14 AM
Don't be greedy! Show them renderings!

I wasn't very impressed by the apartments. Look on the Tempe DRC agenda. It is now linked to doc for the meeting this week.

RichTempe
Feb 23, 2017, 2:34 AM

This?

https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=48476

Plus this:

https://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=47126

85' residential fronting the lake with 214' 6" mixed use behind in phase 1A . Sounds good to me.

The apartments aren't mind-blowing, but they're not awful either IMO.

Obadno
Feb 23, 2017, 6:48 PM
This?

https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=48476

Plus this:

https://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=47126

85' residential fronting the lake with 214' 6" mixed use behind in phase 1A . Sounds good to me.

The apartments aren't mind-blowing, but they're not awful either IMO.

Well half of Vela's Units will need to drop in price now that the view will be another apartment building. :haha:

Spitfiredude
Mar 2, 2017, 11:20 PM
Tower crane going up at Jefferson. Should make for a good view coming in on the 202. I think the Aura site is a staging site for this development.

Obadno
Mar 3, 2017, 5:00 AM
Tower crane going up at Jefferson. Should make for a good view coming in on the 202. I think the Aura site is a staging site for this development.

Tower crane for Barrister or Block 23?

PHXFlyer11
Mar 3, 2017, 11:36 AM

Wrong thread... But no.

azsunsurfer
Mar 3, 2017, 2:01 PM

No....Aura site is being cleared for Aura.....

muertecaza
Mar 3, 2017, 3:39 PM

I think the confusion is that a crane is going up at the Tempe apartment building the Jefferson, not on Jefferson Street in Phoenix.

Spitfiredude
Mar 3, 2017, 5:02 PM
No....Aura site is being cleared for Aura.....

Edit: Ahhh, you are right. The GC for Aura is Okland & the fence around site is Okland
Portion of site was used for the dirt coming out of the pit though.

Also, the tower crane base for the Univ Square development is in place according to my friend who has a view from his nearby building.

ASU Diablo
Mar 3, 2017, 10:46 PM
Aura Watermark and the overall Watermark development (1st Phase) is slated to start construction in September

http://azbex.com/126m-first-phase-of-watermark-to-start-construction/
http://azbex.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/FP-PD-Watermark1.jpg
http://azbex.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/PD-Aura-Watermark.png

dtnphx
Mar 6, 2017, 10:52 PM
Tempe streetcar project on track, but community expectations are mixed

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2017/03/06/tempe-streetcar-project-on-track-but-community.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2017-03-06&u=34892844144f674e291dd986763848&t=1488840303&j=77574191

exit2lef
Mar 7, 2017, 2:14 AM

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2017/03/06/tempe-streetcar-project-on-track-but-community.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2017-03-06&u=34892844144f674e291dd986763848&t=1488840303&j=77574191

The article is behind the Business Journal's paywall. Can you post a quick summary?

dtnphx
Mar 7, 2017, 3:25 PM
Here you go.

Tempe is on track to host the Valley’s first streetcar through an estimated $186 million transportation development.

Streetcars have recently returned to popularity, with new construction springing up in Tucson and other cities across the U.S. Advocates say they add an option to the web of public transportation and bring development to surrounding areas.

Here is the proposed Tempe streetcar route and how it connects with the existing Valley Metro light rail.
Enlarge
Here is the proposed Tempe streetcar route and how it connects with the existing Valley… more

VALLEY METRO

The three-mile Tempe streetcar will require tracks, built to enable it to share the lane with traffic. It will run on electricity from an overhead line with stops down Mill Avenue and across Apache Boulevard connecting to Metro light rail at both ends.

Reactions remain mixed among local businesses as to the purpose the downtown Tempe streetcar will serve and how construction disruption will affect them.

“I think it will help ... with more people having access down here easier and not having to worry about parking and paying the meters,” said Rose Baronovic, assistant manager of Juut Salon Spa, who hopes the streetcar will bring new opportunities to her Mill Avenue location.

Others, like Steve Goumas, founder of Rula Bula Tempe Irish Pub, are skeptical. He doubts the streetcar will have much impact on business. He notes that he heard the claims of significant business improvement from the nearby light rail line years ago, but his business didn’t experience any benefits.

The majority of the project’s price tag is split between federal grant funding and regional transportation taxes, with a small portion coming from the city of Tempe.

The route for the streetcar is set, but other design and construction decisions are currently under debate. Corinne Holliday, Valley Metro public information specialist, said the design will be 30 percent done by the next public meeting, scheduled for April 19.

Tempe streetcar plans have evolved over the past 10 years and now progress is moving forward with both a construction and design firm on board. Stacy and Witbeck signed on as the construction firm in January and brings a wealth of past streetcar-building experience to the project.

According to the National Transportation Database, streetcars currently in operation are, on average, slower and cost more to move passengers per mile than current light rails or buses. Ram Pendyala, director of a new U.S Department of Transportation research center, says focusing on that is missing the point.

“So when you think of a streetcar it’s more of an identity,” said Pendyala, who is also a professor at Arizona State University. “Nobody’s really seeing the streetcar as some major transportation service or mobility instrument.”

However, Holliday contends that the streetcar helps to address a critical transportation need in downtown Tempe.

“The streets on the streetcar route in Tempe are near capacity in terms of vehicles. So streetcar meets the need to improve transit options without dramatically impacting the streetscape.” said Holliday. “Bus service on the other hand wouldn’t meet the need ... the route needed something more robust.”

Pendyala said even if the streetcar doesn’t bring more mobility, it doesn’t mean the money is misspent. He said it is hard to determine what the optimum project would be to spend transportation funds. He thinks the streetcar will help circulate people already in the Mill Avenue area. Transportation infrastructure also has a long-observed correlation with development.

Development of this kind can be hard to measure because it is difficult pinpoint the exact cause. Oftentimes major infrastructure investments such as streetcars are in up-and-coming areas, making it hard to track the change in development against what would have organically occurred. Pendyala said there are techniques that attempt to solve these problems, but complexities remain and studies must be constructed carefully.

The city still has important decisions to make about streetcar construction schedule and design details. Goumas hopes the construction schedule will be minimally invasive and balked at the idea of a free system like that in Kansas City.

“I can find nothing short term that relates to any businesses and there’s a lot of concern,” said Gourmas. He added, “I don’t know why it would be free, that’s not fair to the surrounding areas.”

Holliday said the specifics of the construction schedule should be completed over the next few months and possible fares are under discussion. She encouraged businesses or residents to reach out with concerns.

Some residents say there is nothing the city could do to get them on board. Arizona State University graduate Tashi Pratt-King has lived in Tempe for nine years and she thinks the streetcar will fail to serve the local community.

“This will directly impact my home and my work,” said Pratt-King in an online interview. “It’s a waste of federal money.”

Phxguy
Mar 7, 2017, 3:37 PM
My biggest concern is what's going to happen to the mature ficus trees on Mill. Doesn't the city hate them because a bajillion birds nest and crap all over street-side parking? I'll be against the streetcar rolling up Mill entirely if it means they're going to be chopped down.

exit2lef
Mar 7, 2017, 4:09 PM
I thought I read somewhere that using battery power was considered on the Mill Avenue section of the line to avoid the need for overhead wires there. Maybe that idea proved infeasible, though. Streetcars that store electricity when connected to overhead wires and then use the power later for untethered operation are still somewhat experimental, and I suspect there is concern about how well the technology would perform in desert heat -- just as the Nissan Leaf has had battery problems during our summers.

asugrad
Mar 7, 2017, 6:53 PM
I thought I read somewhere that using battery power was considered on the Mill Avenue section of the line to avoid the need for overhead wires there. Maybe that idea proved infeasible, though. Streetcars that store electricity when connected to overhead wires and then use the power later for untethered operation are still somewhat experimental, and I suspect there is concern about how well the technology would perform in desert heat -- just as the Nissan Leaf has had battery problems during our summers.

I think it all depends on the batteries they use. My buddy that works at Tesla on University said their optimal battery operating temperature is around 105 Degrees and works better in AZ than most places.

PhxSprawler
Mar 7, 2017, 7:30 PM
My biggest concern is what's going to happen to the mature ficus trees on Mill. Doesn't the city hate them because a bajillion birds nest and crap all over street-side parking? I'll be against the streetcar rolling up Mill entirely if it means they're going to be chopped down.

I agree with you on this. Mill's charm to me is that it is so walkable. The street car itself will be just one more thing to avoid as a pedestrian. Because of this, I already have bitter thoughts about the streetcar and the people who will ride it.

In a perfect world, Mill would be completely closed off to vehicle traffic, and the street car would circle Ash, Rio Salado, Rural (or McClintock) and University (or Apache).

Obadno
Mar 7, 2017, 7:44 PM
I agree with you on this. Mill's charm to me is that it is so walkable. The street car itself will be just one more thing to avoid as a pedestrian. Because of this, I already have bitter thoughts about the streetcar and the people who will ride it.

In a perfect world, Mill would be completely closed off to vehicle traffic, and the street car would circle Ash, Rio Salado, Rural (or McClintock) and University (or Apache).

I think Mill needs to be much busier in general before we can make it a pedestrian Mall, but maybe in 25 or 20 years that will be feasible.

alexico
Mar 9, 2017, 5:26 AM
Aura Watermark and the overall Watermark development (1st Phase) is slated to start construction in September

http://azbex.com/126m-first-phase-of-watermark-to-start-construction/
http://azbex.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/FP-PD-Watermark1.jpg
http://azbex.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/PD-Aura-Watermark.png

gotta quote since that is awesome looking

vwwolfe
Mar 9, 2017, 5:13 PM
When did The Motley apartments being constructed on Apache change their name to Nexa?

azsunsurfer
Mar 9, 2017, 6:15 PM
707 S Forest sounds tall! 295' will make an impact for that area. I just hope it's not student hosting but I have a feeling that it might be.....

muertecaza
Mar 10, 2017, 8:55 PM
When did The Motley apartments being constructed on Apache change their name to Nexa?

It's been at least a couple months since I saw a sign referring to "Nexa." I've given up keeping the names straight.

Here's Jefferson's tower crane:

http://i.imgur.com/lFC1Rwhh.jpg

And Broadstone Lakeside:

http://i.imgur.com/RwTkS4yh.jpg

MegaBass
Mar 11, 2017, 6:30 AM
https://cfo.asu.edu/sites/default/files/styles/slideshow/public/images/slides/orange-mall-extension.png?itok=sYzaYhcp

Orange Mall extension (https://cfo.asu.edu/orange-mall-extension)

A revitalization and extension of Orange Mall provide an ecologically sustainable pedestrian walkway in the heart of Arizona State University’s Tempe campus.

This project extends Orange Mall from the existing Orange Street cul-de-sac east to the Central Plant driveway and is the first implementation of the Tempe Campus Mall Hardscape Master Plan. Orange Mall is key to this program as it will set the standard for future phases.

The extension provides an event space for the new Student Pavilion (https://cfo.asu.edu/student-pavilion) and serves as a social-gathering spot for the ASU community. Seating and a shaded palm court offer visitors an enjoyable outdoor living space.

A major project emphasis is to build a sustainable environment and green infrastructure that manages wet-weather impacts. Rainwater runoff from surrounding buildings will give life to the Orange Mall vegetation and bioswales will assist stormwater management.

The revamped mall is designed to meet specifications for USGBC Sustainable Sites certification. The certificate awards success in developing sustainable landscapes. Project end date: August 2017

https://oxblue.com/pro/load_jpg/20170310/104653/9ac29657fb421db4bbfce6818bcd6bb5/653b76915045deca6ad216ade60e4c05/0.jpg
Today's webcam view of Student Pavilion

https://oxblue.com/pro/load_jpg/20170310/104912/ea6842f3181a6c71303603cc3196c117/7231198d34d29cab5778d96e69e71159/0.jpg
P. V. Engineering Residential Hall

azsunsurfer
Mar 13, 2017, 2:16 PM
I saw a half page ad in one of the local newspapers this weekend advertising the glorified senior living tower on campus....possibly might be happening if they are spending to advertise now?

dtnphx
Mar 13, 2017, 4:03 PM
I saw a half page ad in one of the local newspapers this weekend advertising the glorified senior living tower on campus....possibly might be happening if they are spending to advertise now?

Glorified? :shrug: LOL!

Spitfiredude
Mar 14, 2017, 7:33 AM
Tower crane up at Univ Square. Keep forgetting the name of the development. About the height of University House.

Phxguy
Mar 14, 2017, 9:53 AM
Tower crane up at Univ Square. Keep forgetting the name of the development. About the height of University House.

What does Univ Square look like again? It's not the one across from ASU design school on Unicersity and Myrtle is it?

Spitfiredude
Mar 14, 2017, 3:41 PM
What does Univ Square look like again? It's not the one across from ASU design school on Unicersity and Myrtle is it?

Yeah it is. Sorry I just keep forgetting the name. I think there may be 2 tower cranes on this development eventually. I believe there's a 10 & 20 story building being developed at the same time.

RichTempe
Mar 15, 2017, 2:40 AM
Yeah it is. Sorry I just keep forgetting the name. I think there may be 2 tower cranes on this development eventually. I believe there's a 10 & 20 story building being developed at the same time.

Here is a link back to page 340 of this thread. muertecaza was the OP. I saw the tower crane over the weekend, but it didn't look that tall. Not sure if it's for the shorter building or will be able to 'jump' once they need it to go higher.

7S or 7th Street Mixed Use, the Opus project covering the block bounded by University/7th St/Forest/Myrtle.

https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=33098

http://i.imgur.com/wcsvcO0h.jpg

azsunsurfer
Mar 15, 2017, 5:16 PM
Looks like there is going to be a new complex (300 plus units) to be built at that reclaimed site SW of the 101 and 202 where those hotel(s) and office building has gone up recently. I've noticed they are still doing some land mitigation.

Also Forest and 7th will be 26 stories. Should be good height near University House and with University Square nearby!

biggus diggus
Mar 15, 2017, 6:15 PM
It's been at least a couple months since I saw a sign referring to "Nexa." I've given up keeping the names straight.

Here's Jefferson's tower crane:

http://i.imgur.com/lFC1Rwhh.jpg

Is this looking north along Rural with the building being constructed on the east side of the road? The south side of the retail plaza?

ASUSunDevil
Mar 15, 2017, 7:00 PM
Is this looking north along Rural with the building being constructed on the east side of the road? The south side of the retail plaza?

Exactly.

MegaBass
Mar 17, 2017, 6:04 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7Dh5hrVsAAqm9i.jpg

Sun Devil Stadium video board crane arrived h/t Rocky Harris (https://twitter.com/SunDevilRocky)

PHXFlyer11
Mar 17, 2017, 1:14 PM
26-story Forest project has been removed from the revised DRC ☹️

Spitfiredude
Mar 17, 2017, 6:10 PM
They have a second base structure for a tower crane at the Univ Square development. It's in middle of the site which is good news because it means this one should be for the 20 story tower and will be taller than the current one.

Socalzonie
Mar 17, 2017, 8:23 PM
26-story Forest project has been removed from the revised DRC ☹️

Have any renderings been floated for this project?

ciweiss
Mar 18, 2017, 12:34 AM
So is onehundredmill dead? Anyone hear anything on this? Their website is still up.

PHXFlyer11
Mar 18, 2017, 9:29 PM
So is onehundredmill dead? Anyone hear anything on this? Their website is still up.

I assume so. Someone is still user their Twitter handle to tweet, but that's about it. Really it's criminal what these clowns have done.

ciweiss
Mar 18, 2017, 10:18 PM
I assume so. Someone is still user their Twitter handle to tweet, but that's about it. Really it's criminal what these clowns have done.

Bummer for Monte's which as been closed over a year now. Its like Chillis on University & Mill. Prime location closed for no reason. They should close once the tower crane arrives.

azsunsurfer
Mar 22, 2017, 8:01 PM
Wow some news about the Rio Salado brownfield site that has seen some development recently.....

-Another hotel will go up off the entrance to the development's drive off Rio along with two parcels devoted to retail
-Two four story offices will front the recently completed water bank trail that runs to Mesa, it will face the 202.
-The residential development component is more dense than I had suspected.
-Another two story office building will go up near the 202 and 101 interchange.

Obadno
Mar 22, 2017, 8:13 PM
Wow some news about the Rio Salado brownfield site that has seen some development recently.....

-Another hotel will go up off the entrance to the development's drive off Rio along with two parcels devoted to retail
-Two four story offices will front the recently completed water bank trail that runs to Mesa, it will face the 202.
-The residential development component is more dense than I had suspected.
-Another two story office building will go up near the 202 and 101 interchange.

where are you getting the info? updates plans anywhere?

muertecaza
Mar 23, 2017, 9:09 PM
Just watched the wooden 'wash towers' on the Mill come down.

http://i.imgur.com/1QgDmXkh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IPylOLNh.jpg

LocoPhoenician
Mar 24, 2017, 2:17 AM
Looks like Tempe waited too long procrastinating and now the street car may never happen.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2017/03/22/trump-budget-could-stall-tempe-streetcar-project/99438172/

RichTempe
Mar 24, 2017, 2:56 AM
Just watched the wooden 'wash towers' on the Mill come down.

http://i.imgur.com/1QgDmXkh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IPylOLNh.jpg

Is this a precursor to something happening there or is it just being done for safety reasons?

muertecaza
Mar 24, 2017, 5:35 AM
Is this a precursor to something happening there or is it just being done for safety reasons?

Tempe agreed to take down the wash tower as a precursor to the Baum Development redevelopment of the mill.

dtnphx
Mar 24, 2017, 11:42 PM
Tempe agreed to take down the wash tower as a precursor to the Baum Development redevelopment of the mill.

That's great news. The post just up the page lamenting the possible no go on the streetcar because it took so long and new funding may not happen, could be a good thing. I'm all for streetcars, light rail, etc., but I think it could fundamentally change Mill for the worse. Just my opinion.

ciweiss
Mar 25, 2017, 2:05 AM
Going to try and post some photos

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2920/32789779584_6753a713cc_k.jpg

Some new equipement on the pier property. Hopefully something is happening there soon.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3834/33592298806_da9decb0e1_k.jpg

Some digging next to the Pier

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3848/33592303456_84a40d925b_k.jpg

Vela

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3834/33633141165_a32e8d6b1a_k.jpg

Marina Heights

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2826/33633145845_90c0452271_k.jpg

Mountain Side Fitness sign going up at Marina Heights

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3938/33592308156_6ad05182a1_k.jpg

Backside of Salt

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3724/33592308476_daccacc68f_k.jpg

Salt

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2908/32819412113_a7732f8c70_k.jpg

Salt

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3692/33249519540_32c968f4e4_k.jpg

Forgot the name by TCA

Sorry for the giant pics. editing this stuff is a pain.

alexico
Mar 26, 2017, 10:46 PM
finally a gym in downtown tempe, now a decent grocery store and tempe will finally start to improve its true walk factor. when i live in downtown tempe 12' 13' and 14' i dislike the fact there was no grocery of any kind

Jjs5056
Mar 28, 2017, 5:21 AM
Have any renderings been floated for this project?

Not since the switch to 26-story multifamily was made from 20-story student housing. It will be very interesting to see if the final product is still aimed at students. If not, it + 7S would add a good balance to that part of downtown and hopefully spur development of the former Subway building as well as the Lawrence and Geyser site.

Mill+Rio has to be dead by now and will leave a major gap. I hope the Baum restoration comes through, because if not, that intersection is one major disappointment. I can't believe HFL3 doesn't have retail on the corner...

Good riddance to the Streetcar.

Jjs5056
Mar 28, 2017, 5:24 AM

FYI, even though it sounds like the project might be off, this is correct. The final design was to include at least portions of the track that would operate without wires.

The trees of Mill have slowly been hacked away regardless, which is unfortunate.

ASU Diablo
Mar 30, 2017, 8:53 PM
Although more jobs coming to Tempe and overall great news, sucks it comes at the expense of jobs in downtown Phoenix and the location of new campus being outside of downtown Tempe.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2017/03/30/jpmorgan-chase-building-big-new-campus-landing-4.html

MegaBass
Apr 1, 2017, 5:39 AM
I noticed the other day the Salt River Tribe has already started to clearing land off of McClintock and the 202. There were tractors leveling earth. So maybe the soccer complex is happening sooner rather than later?

From Scottsdale thread

Hopefully the Phoenix market gets chosen for new MLS expansion team.

http://www.phxrisingfc.com/news_article/show/752052-phoenix-rising-football-club-officially-submits-expansion-application-to-major-league-soccer

http://cdn1.sportngin.com/attachments/photo/7716/9411/image_large.png

More or less. They've described it as a "pop-up stadium." Pictures look pretty neat though.

http://i.imgur.com/LFDVft9h.jpg

ciweiss
Apr 1, 2017, 6:50 PM
They have a second base structure for a tower crane at the Univ Square development. It's in middle of the site which is good news because it means this one should be for the 20 story tower and will be taller than the current one.

I walked by this morning and i believe the 2nd tower crane going up today. Not sure how long that proceas takes.

muertecaza
Apr 3, 2017, 5:28 PM
I didn't have time to stop, so the picture is shit, but riding by The Pier site, it looks like there are sections for a tower crane:

http://i.imgur.com/ifgtt5Uh.jpg

muertecaza
Apr 3, 2017, 5:36 PM
Tempe updated their development projects page with a pretty handy map:

http://tempegov.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Shortlist/index.html?appid=e2b8a9338e3948c0ab6abf93b858f508

It doesn't appear to be fully updated (for instance The University/Ash Whole Foods projects doesn't show), but it seems to have most things current.

It also has a small 707 Forest rendering:

http://i.imgur.com/aPdK0vP.jpg

ciweiss
Apr 5, 2017, 1:19 AM
Next street car meeting. April 19th. Tempe Transportation Center. That could be interesting.

ASUSunDevil
Apr 5, 2017, 2:31 AM
Next street car meeting. April 19th. Tempe Transportation Center. That could be interesting.

I received a flyer for that today. They seem dead set on getting it built, probably due to time/money invested. Personally, I think it's unnecessary and would prefer that it doesn't happen.

Spitfiredude
Apr 5, 2017, 7:40 AM
I received a flyer for that today. They seem dead set on getting it built, probably due to time/money invested. Personally, I think it's unnecessary and would prefer that it doesn't happen.

Agreed. It seems most people on the thread are not big fans anymore. The fact that they may destroy Mill for 2 years really frustates me. Especially the fact that they would get rid of those trees. I think at this point, possibly the most efficient route would be Mill/3rd to Cubs Stadium / Riverview. Or backside Ash with a slot to Mill 5th. Regardless, it's been moving slow. It's frustrating that government works so slow. Also, at $50 million a mile, maybe they should consider expanding / adding more trolleys to the lunch time trolley service.

Also interesting to see tower crane sections. Is this site staging for another site. Doesn't look like much site work has been done. Then again the site is already pretty well excavated as is; they could probably fast track it. The tower crane at Univ Square is as high as Tower 1 at W6. Pretty impressive. That building is going to make a powerful impact in the Tempe skyline coming east on 202.

muertecaza
Apr 5, 2017, 4:00 PM
Agreed. It seems most people on the thread are not big fans anymore. The fact that they may destroy Mill for 2 years really frustates me. Especially the fact that they would get rid of those trees. I think at this point, possibly the most efficient route would be Mill/3rd to Cubs Stadium / Riverview. Or backside Ash with a slot to Mill 5th. Regardless, it's been moving slow. It's frustrating that government works so slow. Also, at $50 million a mile, maybe they should consider expanding / adding more trolleys to the lunch time trolley service.

Also interesting to see tower crane sections. Is this site staging for another site. Doesn't look like much site work has been done. Then again the site is already pretty well excavated as is; they could probably fast track it. The tower crane at Univ Square is as high as Tower 1 at W6. Pretty impressive. That building is going to make a powerful impact in the Tempe skyline coming east on 202.

I had a similar thought the other day re: running street car from Mill/3rd to the Cubs stadium. That way it actually serves a purpose of bringing transit to the length of the lake, Marina Heights, future Pier 202/Athletic District development, TMP, the soccer stadium, and the Cubs stadium. Unfortunately, the reason they chose the current route in the first place is because the population density would make them score higher on federal funding priority. Maybe someday a Rio Salado line would be dense enough to score well, but not currently.

Apparently the meeting on the 17th is to discuss (1) going wireless on Mill and/or on Ash, and (2) running the street car on the south side of Rio Salado rather than through the median. Both seem like good ideas to me.

http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=1239&doctype=AGENDA