PDA

View Full Version : Tempe Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117

muertecaza
Nov 11, 2017, 5:09 AM
The Westin at 7th St./Mill got its City Counci approval Thursday night. There was some discussion about timelines, and the indication was that the developer is shooting for mass excavation permits by January, and then building permits sometime after that. :tup:

PHXFlyer11
Nov 11, 2017, 6:11 PM
The Westin at 7th St./Mill got its City Counci approval Thursday night. There was some discussion about timelines, and the indication was that the developer is shooting for mass excavation permits by January, and then building permits sometime after that. :tup:

Awesome! Was it 21-stories? I don't recall...

stutteringpunk
Nov 11, 2017, 6:13 PM

Ive seen renderings and the Westin zoning sign, but do you know if the building will stretch to the street corner by Jack in the Box? It'd be nice to have development there instead of just a dirt lot.

PHXFlyer11
Nov 11, 2017, 8:08 PM
Ive seen renderings and the Westin zoning sign, but do you know if the building will stretch to the street corner by Jack in the Box? It'd be nice to have development there instead of just a dirt lot.

It will not. Nor would I want it to. That will be saved for a future development. Why one fat tower when you can get potentially two taller towers?

stutteringpunk
Nov 11, 2017, 8:40 PM
It will not. Nor would I want it to. That will be saved for a future development. Why one fat tower when you can get potentially two taller towers?

Because ASU is such a stickler when it comes to tall buildings and could lobby Tempe. They already more or less forced 7th Street Mixed-Use to put the tallest tower in the middle of the complex instead of entirely facing a street. With Westin, you could have more or less guaranteed that street corner had height.

PHXFlyer11
Nov 11, 2017, 8:47 PM
Because ASU is such a stickler when it comes to tall buildings and could lobby Tempe. They already more or less forced 7th Street Mixed-Use to put the tallest tower in the middle of the complex instead of entirely facing a street. With Westin, you could have more or less guaranteed that street corner had height.

My point is 2 projects are better than 1. Tempe has the say on mill and is concerned with height directly on mill. ASU has more to do with the college Ave project. We are no longer at the point where we need to beg for vacant land to be built. Any vacant land left now will just increase in density over time when developed.

combusean
Nov 12, 2017, 12:18 AM

This probably has more to do with ASU being less of a university these days and more of a real-estate developer.

If somebody puts up a hotel or dorm before them, which is almost always a guarantee, ASU is in direct competition when they finally get around to a developer building one on campus.

Their hypocrisy is clear with Mirabella, 20 stories and hanging off the street.

stutteringpunk
Nov 12, 2017, 4:00 AM
This probably has more to do with ASU being less of a university these days and more of a real-estate developer.

If somebody puts up a hotel or dorm before them, which is almost always a guarantee, ASU is in direct competition when they finally get around to a developer building one on campus.

Their hypocrisy is clear with Mirabella, 20 stories and hanging off the street.

Yeah, that did strike me as garbage when ASU announced they'd be building their own tall retirement tower after so much fuss. Still, it's better than all the usual 5-story buildings they regularly construct.

CrestedSaguaro
Nov 13, 2017, 3:45 PM
Took a trip to Tempe over the weekend. I haven't been there in several months. Man, Tempe is fast becoming one of the largest suburban downtowns in the country! So many cranes in the sky.

Can someone post a breakdown of what's getting built currently? I haven't been keeping up on Tempe development scene as much since moving to North Phoenix.

PHXFlyer11
Nov 13, 2017, 5:04 PM
Took a trip to Tempe over the weekend. I haven't been there in several months. Man, Tempe is fast becoming one of the largest suburban downtowns in the country! So many cranes in the sky.

Can someone post a breakdown of what's getting built currently? I haven't been keeping up on Tempe development scene as much since moving to North Phoenix.

Is the crane up for The Pier? I recall pictures of the base going in, but I haven't noticed it in the sky and it's been almost a month...

Obadno
Nov 13, 2017, 5:05 PM

Really Phoenix has like 5 "downtowns" or at least it did, Old Town, Biltmore, Mill, Midtown and Downtown

Old Town has stagnated, so I think it gets a demotion and will stick to an upscale entertainment district, Mill and Downtown are definitely primary with Midtown and Biltmore serving as secondary high end office locations.

However lots of cities have secondary "downtowns" expecially large metro areas.

Sun Belt
Nov 13, 2017, 5:13 PM
Really Phoenix has like 5 "downtowns" or at least it did, Old Town, Biltmore, Mill, Midtown and Downtown

Old Town has stagnated, so I think it gets a demotion and will stick to an upscale entertainment district, Mill and Downtown are definitely primary with Midtown and Biltmore serving as secondary high end office locations.

However lots of cities have secondary "downtowns" expecially large metro areas.

Yeah I don't consider Tempe (North Tempe) to be a suburb. If you eliminate the arbitrary city limits it is a core urban/job center of Metro Phoenix. The daytime population swells, most suburbs would see a drop in their daytime population levels.

muertecaza
Nov 13, 2017, 6:43 PM
Is the crane up for The Pier? I recall pictures of the base going in, but I haven't noticed it in the sky and it's been almost a month...

The crane is up, but barely above ground level. It's been up for a few weeks, without much work being done. Not sure what's going on. But I haven't seen that their building permit has been approved, so maybe that's the hold up?

Here is my running list (let me know if I missed something):

Under Construction

Aura Watermark 1A - Office - 15 stories - 281 ft.
7th St. - Residential/Mixed - 20/16/12 stories - 224 ft.
The Local - Residential/Mixed - 9 stories - 118 ft.
ASU Biodesign C - Education - 5 stories - 95 ft.
Aura Watermark 1B - Residential - 7 stories - 90 ft.
Jefferson Town Lake - Residential - 6 stories - 86 ft.
University Village 2.0/Sterling - Residential - 5 stories - 75 ft.
Crescent Rio - Residential - 5 stories - 62.5 ft.
Freedom Rio - Office - 4 stories - 62 ft.
Valor on Eighth - Residential - 4 stories - 60 ft.
Broadstone Lakewsie - Residential - 4 stories - 50 ft.

In Review for Building Permit

The Pier - Residential/Mixed - 22 stories - 283 ft.
ASU Mirabella - Residential/Mixed - 20 stories - 250 ft.
Grand @ Papago - Office - 9 stories - 150 feet
Metro 101 - Residential - 4 stories - 67 ft.
Streetlights Rio - Residential - 4 stories - 60 ft.
Broadstone at the Grand - Residential - 4 stories - 35 ft (above Washington because it set below street level)

Plan approved or in Planning and Appear Active

Cambria on College (Hawaiian BBQ lot) - Hotel/Residential - 22 stories - 271 ft.
Skyview - Residential - 24 stories - 249 ft.
Westin Tempe - Hotel - 18 stories - 225 ft.
Omni Hotel - 13 stories
Biomedical Campus - Office - 5-8 stories
Hayden Flour Mill - Office - 71 ft.
Park Place - Residential - 5 stories - 69 ft.
Daybreak Apartments - Residential - 4 stories - 42.5 ft.

Plan approved or in Planning but appear to have stalled

707 S. Forest - Residential - 27 stories - 295 ft.
Villas at Southbank - Residential - 17 stories - 211 ft.
One Hundred Mill - Mixed - 15 stories - 191 ft.
Farmer Arts 2 - Office - 5 stories - 98 ft.
Eastline Village - Residential - 7 stories - 90 ft.
Apache + Oak - Residential - 5 stories - 69.5 ft.

Pre-Planning or Rumors

Tempe Towers/University Mixed Use (Ash/3rd St.) - ?
Gilbane project (Terrace/Apache) - ?

In addition to these there are several smaller rowhouse/townhome/attached developments in the neighborhood west of Mill and north of University, and a lot always going on in the Liberty Center development west of Priest.

CrestedSaguaro
Nov 13, 2017, 7:09 PM
Yeah I don't consider Tempe (North Tempe) to be a suburb. If you eliminate the arbitrary city limits it is a core urban/job center of Metro Phoenix. The daytime population swells, most suburbs would see a drop in their daytime population levels.

I'm not going to get in a debate what a suburb is and what a suburb isn't as there are many, many arguments of what constitutes a suburb. In this case, I am saying suburb in the context that it is not the primary/central/core city of the larger metropolitan area. I always consider bordering cities a suburb regardless of the density, urban makeup or infrastructure if it is not the core city in which it is adjacent. Sorry, if it offends anyone living in Tempe. That is just my preference :)

*Edit: Thanks for the list Muertecaza! So, that gives Tempe 6 or 7 possible developments that are in the process or up and coming that will be over 200'. Awesome!

Sun Belt
Nov 13, 2017, 7:18 PM
I'm not going to get in a debate what a suburb is and what a suburb isn't as there are many, many arguments of what constitutes a suburb. In this case, I am saying suburb in the context that it is not the primary/central/core city of the larger metropolitan area. I always consider bordering cities a suburb regardless of the density, urban makeup or infrastructure if it is not the core city in which it is adjacent. Sorry, if it offends anyone living in Tempe. That is just my preference :)

You shouldn't worry about offending anybody about this subject.

The primary central core city of Phoenix constitutes numerous suburban villages like Laveen and Ahwatukee. These are definitely suburban in nature even though they are within the core city limits whereas North Tempe is much more of a city, yet despite this it is considered a suburb of the central, core city of Phoenix.

If you eliminate the political boundaries and consider where the most economic activity is occurring in "The Valley", Tempe is right there with downtown/midtown Phoenix and perhaps parts of Scottsdale with the all important tourism aspect.

CrestedSaguaro
Nov 13, 2017, 7:31 PM
If you eliminate the political boundaries and consider where the most economic activity is occurring in "The Valley", Tempe is right there with downtown/midtown Phoenix and perhaps parts of Scottsdale with the all important tourism aspect.

Of course it is. Tempe is giving Phoenix a run for It's money! Just to be clear, I'm comparing Tempe to "suburbs" such as Bellevue,WA, Buckhead, GA or Clayton, MO. Not places like Peoria or Goodyear.

I'll rephrase my previous post. Tempe is fast becoming one of the largest "non-central city" downtowns in the country. I hope that clarifies what is was trying to get at :)

TAZ4ate0
Nov 14, 2017, 1:31 AM

vandypandybear
Nov 15, 2017, 5:36 PM
You're forgetting the Airpark/Kierland area. This will be the densest corridor in Scottsdale within a few years. A lot of exciting projects up there.

BTW, the DRC packet is available for the Hayden Mill project.

Spitfiredude
Nov 16, 2017, 2:48 AM
You're forgetting the Airpark/Kierland area. This will be the densest corridor in Scottsdale within a few years.

Lol....Airpark is definitely not going to be more dense than Old Town. Second, yes.

RichTempe
Nov 17, 2017, 10:07 AM
From AZ Central:

Arizona Supreme Court declines to hear Tempe 'squatter' case

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe-breaking/2017/11/16/arizona-supreme-court-declines-hear-tempe-squatter-steve-sussex-case/872013001/

Hopefully they can finally get something going with that piece of land and get rid of the junkyard.

stutteringpunk
Nov 17, 2017, 6:06 PM
From AZ Central:

Arizona Supreme Court declines to hear Tempe 'squatter' case

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe-breaking/2017/11/16/arizona-supreme-court-declines-hear-tempe-squatter-steve-sussex-case/872013001/

Hopefully they can finally get something going with that piece of land and get rid of the junkyard.

”I just want to be treated fair and I’ll be happy,” Sussex said. “But until then I’ll bitch until the day I die. That’s the way it works."

You've been squatting on the land for decades. You've received more than what could be considered fair, my dude.

Obadno
Nov 20, 2017, 5:08 PM
I was Driving up Scottsdale road on Saturday, the Carvana vending machine is going up if nobody noticed :cheers:

I think itlll look cool off the highway there.

CrestedSaguaro
Nov 20, 2017, 11:27 PM
I was Driving up Scottsdale road on Saturday, the Carvana vending machine is going up if nobody noticed :cheers:

I think itlll look cool off the highway there.

That thing is supposed to be like 9 floors of cars. Here's a rendering of what it will look like passing by on the 202.

http://kjzz.org/sites/default/files/field/image/CarvanaMockup2.JPG.JPG

Renz
Nov 20, 2017, 11:59 PM
As much as I dont get the concept of Carvana, It's sure gonna nice to see something different built on the other side of the 202. I'll be driving by it every day to work.

muertecaza
Nov 21, 2017, 4:49 PM
I didn't remember seeing some of these renderings. Excited for this project.

https://i.imgur.com/vMnUrH4h.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kEQq1geh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/O9ouBEih.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WaBxlxOh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7xuzUXrh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XOLBcybh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kw4mQsJh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/miuQTzsh.jpg

https://nelsenpartners.com/nb-portfolio/the-watermark/

mdpx
Nov 21, 2017, 6:54 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Miami!

ASU Diablo
Nov 21, 2017, 6:56 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Miami!

lol no kidding. That looks pretty amazing...

azliam
Nov 21, 2017, 7:38 PM
Hayden Flour Mill Redevelopment Proceeding

The first phase of the long-awaited Hayden Flour Mill Redevelopment project moved another step closer to fruition last month after gaining approvals for several components from Tempe’s Development Review Commission.

In its Oct. 24 meeting, DRC approved Iconic Mill, LLC’s requests for Zoning Map Amendment, Amended Planned Area Development Overlay, Development Plan Review and Use Permit.

Phase 1 of the plan calls for restoring and renovating the mill building to accommodate 14.2KSF of office space and creating a one-story, 8.4KSF restaurant addition with 2KSF of outdoor seating. In a subsequent Phase II, the grain elevators will be restored and a new hotel constructed. Phase II will require an amendment to the Planned Area Development.

A new west addition will be glass and steel and is intended to tie the site more closely to existing developments along Mill Avenue. “Using industrial inspired materials and transparency allows the addition to become less obtrusive to the street but rather engage Mill Avenue while recalling the past and allowing views of the Mill Building,” the report states, “The materials are intentionally different from the historic building.”

http://azbex.com/hayden-flour-mill-redevelopment-proceeding/

ciweiss
Nov 21, 2017, 7:48 PM
With the recent article talking about Tempe office rents increasing at the highest levels in the countty I would imagine more development green lights and hopefully more tower cranes are coming.

Renz
Nov 21, 2017, 8:48 PM
With the recent article talking about Tempe office rents increasing at the highest levels in the countty I would imagine more development green lights and hopefully more tower cranes are coming.

Where there's high rents and tenants looking to fill them, there's business to be made. At this pace, Tempe will become one of the Southwest's biggest bustling cities 15 to 20 years down the road. :notacrook:

ASUSunDevil
Nov 21, 2017, 9:15 PM
Where there's high rents and tenants looking to fill them, there's business to be made. At this pace, Tempe will become one of the Southwest's biggest bustling cities 15 to 20 years down the road. :notacrook:

Yep, Austin, TX on a smaller scale.

Cold cities are going to be eating our dust over the next 15-20.

dtnphx
Nov 21, 2017, 9:52 PM
And in the next 15-20 years, this even hotter city than it is today will have lots more dust for them to eat. :yuck:

muertecaza
Nov 22, 2017, 5:14 PM
Rendering for Park Place (south side of Apache/Terrace) shows an elevated, covered walkway over Terrace, which could be cool.

http://gis.tempe.gov/pad/DevelopmentPictures/ParkPlace.jpg

RichTempe
Nov 27, 2017, 12:33 AM
Just a quick pic I took on Friday evening of the 7th Ave mixed use project. View is looking east from the corner of 7th St & Mill. Looks like both buildings are topped off:

https://s7.postimg.org/vzmu2zkm3/2017-11-24_17.07.58_2.jpg

muertecaza
Nov 28, 2017, 11:30 PM
Looks like they are taking another stab at developing Farmer Arts Parcel 1 (dirt lot on the corner of University/Farmer):

http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=55959

Very frustrating that we go from potential 13-story, 281 unit building to 6-story schlock with 171 units. But :shrug: hopefully something gets built.

Also a 16-unit development proposed for an empty lot near Rural/Apache, and more zoning approvals for Hayden Flour Mill.

I also noticed that they are knocking down the Tumbleweed building off University/Wilson. Doubt they could get anything large-scale built there with the proximity to the neighborhoods, but something akin to those lime green apartment buildings further west on University could be cool.

LocoPhoenician
Nov 29, 2017, 2:50 AM
Looks like they are taking another stab at developing Farmer Arts Parcel 1 (dirt lot on the corner of University/Farmer):

http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=55959

Very frustrating that we go from potential 13-story, 281 unit building to 6-story schlock with 171 units. But :shrug: hopefully something gets built.

Also a 16-unit development proposed for an empty lot near Rural/Apache, and more zoning approvals for Hayden Flour Mill.

I also noticed that they are knocking down the Tumbleweed building off University/Wilson. Doubt they could get anything large-scale built there with the proximity to the neighborhoods, but something akin to those lime green apartment buildings further west on University could be cool.

They are building a taco shop with a drive thru where the tumbleweeds building was.

muertecaza
Nov 29, 2017, 11:22 PM
They are building a taco shop with a drive thru where the tumbleweeds building was.

Thanks for the heads up.

I can't remember if it was here or in the transportation thread, but someone was asking a while back about plans to finish a pedestrian bridge on the east end of town lake. The plans are apparently in process to construct a bridge on the existing dam structure on the east end.

They submitted a grant application to MAG, which has some info, here:

http://www.azmag.gov/Portals/0/Documents/BaP_2017-07-03_Tempe-A-Dam-Great-Regional-Connection-DA-Application.pdf

And there is some info in this update here:

http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=55597

Preliminary design has apparently begun. They are also planning to complete the bike path on the north bank so that it connects to McClintock and Indian Bend Wash. They are supposed to start construction on that path Winter, 2018.

exit2lef
Nov 29, 2017, 11:46 PM
I can't remember if it was here or in the transportation thread, but someone was asking a while back about plans to finish a pedestrian bridge on the east end of town lake. The plans are apparently in process to construct a bridge on the existing dam structure on the east end.

They submitted a grant application to MAG, which has some info, here:

http://www.azmag.gov/Portals/0/Documents/BaP_2017-07-03_Tempe-A-Dam-Great-Regional-Connection-DA-Application.pdf

And there is some info in this update here:

http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=55597

Preliminary design has apparently begun. They are also planning to complete the bike path on the north bank so that it connects to McClintock and Indian Bend Wash. They are supposed to start construction on that path Winter, 2018.

That's all great news. Thanks for sharing. With Mesa having built its Rio Salado path, the eastern bridge will provide a better connection to the Indian Bend Wash.

muertecaza
Nov 30, 2017, 12:02 AM
That's all great news. Thanks for sharing. With Mesa having built its Rio Salado path, the eastern bridge will provide a better connection to the Indian Bend Wash.

Yes. And another project in the works is the underpass under McClintock on the south end. It will be a very nice, seamless stretch from Mesa all the way west to 143, and all the way north along Indian Bend Wash.

stutteringpunk
Nov 30, 2017, 1:06 AM
Yes. And another project in the works is the underpass under McClintock on the south end. It will be a very nice, seamless stretch from Mesa all the way west to 143, and all the way north along Indian Bend Wash.

Sorry, I'm having a hard time understanding what/where you're talking about exactly. This is another pedestrian path?

muertecaza
Dec 6, 2017, 11:12 PM
Sorry, I'm having a hard time understanding what/where you're talking about exactly. This is another pedestrian path?

Not another path, just a connection with the existing salt river path. Currently you have to cross McClintock at a crosswalk at a traffic light. They are planning to build an underpass underneath McClintock so you don't have stop at the light and go across the crosswalk. Similar to the underpass recently completed at Priest along the river.

muertecaza
Dec 6, 2017, 11:16 PM
Red zoning sign is up at the corner of 7th St./Myrtle (just to the east of the recently approved Westin parcel). My phone was dead so I couldn't take a picture, but proposal is 22 story residential project called "The Collective" (which in my mind is second only to "The Hyve" on University for dumb building names). 200+ units on like .4 acres for a residential density of like 600 du/ac. Ground floor retail.

It's too bad they rejected the Newman Center dorm proposal. With Union already built, if this, the Westin and 7th St./Forest proposals were to be built, 7th St. could be pretty awesome.

PHXFlyer11
Dec 7, 2017, 1:30 AM
Red zoning sign is up at the corner of 7th St./Myrtle (just to the east of the recently approved Westin parcel). My phone was dead so I couldn't take a picture, but proposal is 22 story residential project called "The Collective" (which in my mind is second only to "The Hyve" on University for dumb building names). 200+ units on like .4 acres for a residential density of like 600 du/ac. Ground floor retail.

It's too bad they rejected the Newman Center dorm proposal. With Union already built, if this, the Westin and 7th St./Forest proposals were to be built, 7th St. could be pretty awesome.

This is amazing! Tempe and Phoenix on fire! So many cranes close to going up! With more to follow with projects like this.

muertecaza
Dec 7, 2017, 1:51 AM
This is amazing! Tempe and Phoenix on fire! So many cranes close to going up! With more to follow with projects like this.

Speaking of cranes, it looks like the tower crane for Aura Watermark is finally going up.

Renz
Dec 7, 2017, 1:53 AM
Speaking of cranes. Anyone have an insider of what's going on with The Pier project, when it's gonna start rollin? last I heard was they're waiting for construction approval. :uhh: Getting tired of seeing that sad little crane off the side of the 202.

muertecaza
Dec 7, 2017, 5:52 AM
Renderings for Farmer Arts Parcel 1:

https://i.imgur.com/pNMxCqzh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JFbAkuAh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yG3CjAnh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PHZimafh.jpg

Obadno
Dec 7, 2017, 3:09 PM
Speaking of cranes. Anyone have an insider of what's going on with The Pier project, when it's gonna start rollin? last I heard was they're waiting for construction approval. :uhh: Getting tired of seeing that sad little crane off the side of the 202.

If it takes as long as the Jefferson it should be done around 2025:P

stutteringpunk
Dec 7, 2017, 5:43 PM
Those renderings are better than a dirt lot, but it's no office tower :(

Obadno
Dec 7, 2017, 5:53 PM
Those renderings are better than a dirt lot, but it's no office tower :(

Pretty sure that lot only allows low-mid rise buildings because its west of the train tracks between "downtown" tempe and the farmer residential district.

muertecaza
Dec 7, 2017, 6:12 PM
Pretty sure that lot only allows low-mid rise buildings because its west of the train tracks between "downtown" tempe and the farmer residential district.

Yeah, current zoning is 92' and 50 du/ac. The vocal minority that opposed the previously proposed 13-story building used the need to amend zoning as a way to oppose that project. This one seems to have been designed right up to those limits--85' and 49.9 du/ac.

mdpx
Dec 7, 2017, 10:00 PM

What about this?

https://media1.britannica.com/eb-media/27/7827-004-0B53BFF0.jpg

muertecaza
Dec 7, 2017, 11:39 PM
What about this?

https://media1.britannica.com/eb-media/27/7827-004-0B53BFF0.jpg

:haha::haha::haha: could always use more of those on the lake.

combusean
Dec 8, 2017, 8:24 AM
Yeah, current zoning is 92' and 50 du/ac. The vocal minority that opposed the previously proposed 13-story building used the need to amend zoning as a way to oppose that project. This one seems to have been designed right up to those limits--85' and 49.9 du/ac.

I don't remember the setbacks of the 13-story building, but if maybe Maple-Ash weren't so myopic, they'd get a 2 story building across the street that increased up to that instead of a 6 story hulk that lurked over them.

NIMBYs tend to be really dumb about zoning and urban design for how much they stand by it.

By-right for the win, at least. No way to oppose the letter of the law.

LocoPhoenician
Dec 8, 2017, 9:18 PM
I don't remember the setbacks of the 13-story building, but if maybe Maple-Ash weren't so myopic, they'd get a 2 story building across the street that increased up to that instead of a 6 story hulk that lurked over them.

NIMBYs tend to be really dumb about zoning and urban design for how much they stand by it.

By-right for the win, at least. No way to oppose the letter of the law.

As someone who lives in the MAFW and across the street from this project and The Local. Part of the problem is the developers of come in and destroy the historic neighborhoods for the same cookie cutters "luxury" developments. They are increasing traffic through the neighborhoods and parking issues.

ASU is destroying the area with the greed of Crow turning ASU into a diploma mill at the expense of the community. But hey we have luxury and more luxury.

PHXFlyer11
Dec 8, 2017, 9:44 PM
As someone who lives in the MAFW and across the street from this project and The Local. Part of the problem is the developers of come in and destroy the historic neighborhoods for the same cookie cutters "luxury" developments. They are increasing traffic through the neighborhoods and parking issues.

ASU is destroying the area with the greed of Crow turning ASU into a diploma mill at the expense of the community. But hey we have luxury and more luxury.

This is like from the MAFW facebook group, I was hoping one of you would make it here one day!

Please explain what you mean by "come in and destroy historic neighborhoods." I'm really curious to hear specifics. Also, apparently you are accusing Crow of destroying the area with greed? I believe Crow is in the business of selling educations. When folks receive educations, they tend to make more money, thus are willing to invest more in "luxury" accommodations.

That term is still laughable to me, like these places are some swanky marble-floored apartments with butlers. They're merely higher-density. I would by no means classify anything in downtown Tempe as luxury.

You all seem to equate new and density with "luxury." Sorry people with educations that earn a decent income don't want to live in slums.

"Luxury and more luxury" in your book equals new and dense. I suppose you'd prefer somebody some how develop a time machine so they could build an old building on a vacant lot. Your argument simply doesn't make sense. You want them to put in a bunch of 1930s single family homes? It's impossible and no economically viable. You can sit here and fight the market, but you will never win. Winners find a way to take advantage of a good market, not sit back and try to fight it. That's no way to get ahead in life.

Also, the developers and Crow aren't doing anything by force. It's the market that demands more density and it's your neighbors that are selling. Neighbors who are smart and realize that their properties going up in value are not a bad thing.

dtnphx
Dec 8, 2017, 11:39 PM
Saw this today:

We knew this, right?

Property Sold for $8 Million
Cross-Streets: NEC 7th St & Mill Ave 0.85 acres of land with Tempe zoning CC. -- Proposed for "Westin Tempe," a new 18-story, 290-room hotel with 1,816 SF retail, 1,435 SF restaurant, 12,107 SF conference space, and a 715 SF fitness room. Building totals 276,648 SF. Parking space - 92 onsite, 6 offsite. Note: This project modifies the previously proposed "M7 PAD." Existing 1,808 SF retail building built 1989 to be demolished.

ciweiss
Dec 8, 2017, 11:51 PM
ASU and Tempe is rising in the ranks thanks to Crow.:cheers:

Tower crane going up at the Watermark! :cheers:

Phxguy
Dec 9, 2017, 12:03 AM
ASU and Tempe is rising in the ranks thanks to Crow.:cheers:

Tower crane going up at the Watermark! :cheers:

Bring it on!

Now if only a certain twin-towered development could also rise across on the South Bank! :tup:

ASUSunDevil
Dec 9, 2017, 2:02 AM
Bring it on!

Now if only a certain twin-towered development could also rise across on the South Bank! :tup:

This should help speed things along.

https://brewaz.com/hot-news/venture-buying-state-farm-campus-at-tempe-marina-heights-in-record-928-million-deal/

muertecaza
Dec 13, 2017, 6:53 PM
Aura Watermark crane:

https://i.imgur.com/TddoqSnh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DHBnG01h.jpg

muertecaza
Dec 15, 2017, 5:57 PM
Look inside Biodesign-C building:

https://asunow.asu.edu/20171214-sneak-peek-inside-asus-new-biodesign-c-building-under-construction

The building looks really good--I love the copper exterior. Would love it if someone did something like it on a larger scale in Phoenix like the American Copper buildings in New York (http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204053).

muertecaza
Dec 15, 2017, 6:49 PM
The proposal for Farmer Arts Parcel 1 passed the DRC. Doesn't appear to be anything like the coordinated opposition for this iteration. The only member of the public that spoke was the guy from the Riverside Neighborhood Association who typically opposes developments proposed in the area. The DRC did narrowly deny a proposal for a 16-unit development on vacant land at roughly Apache/Rural. The real coordinated opposition was against a Quick Quack Car Wash at McClintock/Baseline. They had matching buttons and everything.

muertecaza
Dec 19, 2017, 11:46 PM
They were finally moving dirt at the Pier site when I rode by this afternoon. Hopefully that means we'll see some movement going forward.

ASUSunDevil
Dec 20, 2017, 12:28 AM
They were finally moving dirt at the Pier site when I rode by this afternoon. Hopefully that means we'll see some movement going forward.

Nice! I was a bit freaked out that it was stalled.

I think this is going to be a really great looking project. :cheers:

ASU Diablo
Dec 20, 2017, 4:12 PM
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2017/12/19/tempe-hayden-flour-mill-project-gets-new-backer.html
The Tempe City Council approved a zoning change on Dec. 14 that would allow the development at the Hayden Flour Mill to go forward. Baum said the final plans will be presented to the Tempe City Council early next year, and a ground breaking will be held in March. He said construction should last about 15 months and should be completed by the summer of 2019.

muertecaza
Dec 20, 2017, 4:25 PM
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2017/12/19/tempe-hayden-flour-mill-project-gets-new-backer.html

Awesome news. And having the Portillo's founder on board as a financial backer is kind of cool. And Aparium looks like they do really good work. http://aparium.com/

muertecaza
Dec 21, 2017, 8:03 PM
https://i.imgur.com/YBXpDdah.jpg

muertecaza
Dec 27, 2017, 6:11 PM
Looks like Mirabella (senior tower at Mill/University) is about to start construction.

http://www.mailtribune.com/news/20171226/medford-based-prs-to-build-arizona-high-rise-project

TEMPE, Arizona — Pacific Retirement Services is ready to build the retirement industry’s most ambitious post-Great Recession housing project.

The Medford-based senior community development and management firm Friday announced a $251 million bond closing for its $270 million, 20-story Mirabella at ASU on the campus of Arizona State University.

After 70 percent of the 300 units were presold in a four-month period, PRS is ready to begin construction in January, with August 2020 the anticipated occupation date...

“It takes about 24 months from the awarding of a project to get it off the ground, so we’ve done this about as fast as we can. We opened our sales center in mid-September, and we’ve sold over 50 units per month. The state requires 50 percent presale, and the bondholders require 70 percent because they want to see if there is demand. This is the fastest we’ve ever got to 70 percent.”

...Mirabella at ASU offers urban access and resort-style venues. Penthouse and apartment units range from 751 square feet to 2,665 square feet. The tower has four dining venues, three of which are located on the penthouse level, an indoor pool and wellness center, an event center, a library and underground parking. Under a proposed collaboration agreement with ASU, residents of the community will be able to attend and participate in ASU classes, activities and programs.

...Portland-based Ankrom Moissan Architects designed the 613,000-square-foot tower, which will be built by McCarthy Construction Co.

...The Industrial Development Authority of the city of Tempe issued the bonds.

ASUSunDevil
Dec 27, 2017, 8:59 PM
Looks like Mirabella (senior tower at Mill/University) is about to start construction.

http://www.mailtribune.com/news/20171226/medford-based-prs-to-build-arizona-high-rise-project

W6 looked out of place 5 years ago. Once Mirabella, Westin and hopefully 5th & Ash are built, the area will be worthy of W6's height.

These 5th & Ash renderings look fantastic IMO:

http://www.gglo.com/places/crescent-5th-and-ash/

Classical in Phoenix
Dec 27, 2017, 9:10 PM
Interesting that the state requires 50% presales before construction. I wonder if that is part of the reason high rise residential is mostly rental.

muertecaza
Dec 27, 2017, 10:04 PM
Interesting that the state requires 50% presales before construction. I wonder if that is part of the reason high rise residential is mostly rental.

I think that 50% requirement is only when municipal bonds are used to fund the project. So it's a somewhat unique aspect of this project, not necessarily applicable to condo projects generally.

Classical in Phoenix
Dec 27, 2017, 10:38 PM
Thanks. I was wondering how that could work. I had never heard of anything like that.

MegaBass
Dec 28, 2017, 2:47 AM
Mad Hatter Brew Pub at 502 S College Ave will rebrand as an ASU themed College Bar & Grill.

exit2lef
Dec 28, 2017, 3:24 AM
Mad Hatter Brew Pub at 502 S College Ave will rebrand as an ASU themed College Bar & Grill.

From one unoriginal name to another. This space cries out for a good tenant.

ASU Diablo
Dec 28, 2017, 3:44 AM
From one unoriginal name to another. This space cries out for a good tenant.

Give it time. It’s now co-owned by Jim Healey, son of Tim Healey. Anyways, I expect great things from this bar. Big ASU guy

exit2lef
Dec 28, 2017, 12:41 PM
Give it time. It’s now co-owned by Jim Healey, son of Tim Healey. Anyways, I expect great things from this bar. Big ASU guy

Thanks from the info. I’m not a sports person, so I had to look up Tim Healey. While I was doing that, I also looked at the bar’s social media accounts. They’re showing more promise than Mad Hatter, so I’ll hope for the best, even if the generic name makes me skeptical.

PHXFlyer11
Dec 28, 2017, 3:32 PM
W6 looked out of place 5 years ago. Once Mirabella, Westin and hopefully 5th & Ash are built, the area will be worthy of W6's height.

These 5th & Ash renderings look fantastic IMO:

http://www.gglo.com/places/crescent-5th-and-ash/

Any indication that this is actually moving along? I figured it was another pipe dream with USA Place and 100 Mill.

Any movement on The Pier? So weird hos it seems like they are waiting on a tower crane but don't have their ducks in a row. Must be another amateur developer who doesn't know what they're doing.

chris08876
Dec 28, 2017, 10:36 PM
3310 × 4284 Rendering of Mirabella: http://www.mailtribune.com/storyimage/MM/20171226/NEWS/171229772/AR/0/AR-171229772.jpg

Classical in Phoenix
Dec 29, 2017, 3:09 AM
After seeing that they were close to breaking ground, my girlfriend and I went to their sales office today. We found out that we are still too young to live there...yay. It is interesting how you take possession. You pay a deposit into an escrow account, starting at $300k + for a smaller unit. Then you pay a monthly amount starting at $5,300. This monthly amount includes some meals and other amenities and the price goes up the more you use. When you leave the facility you get 90% of the deposit back. The owner is a nonprofit. The tenant never takes ownership.

PHXFlyer11
Dec 31, 2017, 8:38 PM
Can't recall that this was posted before... tower crane is up for Aura. Tempe is crane city!

ciweiss
Jan 1, 2018, 5:28 PM
Can't recall that this was posted before... tower crane is up for Aura. Tempe is crane city!

This one is building quick. I saw this morning they already have some walls up at ground level.

Renz
Jan 2, 2018, 1:06 AM
I'm sorry if this has been stated before, but what is the official height of the Aura at watermark? Some articles are saying it's 225ft while this other article states 275ft or around that height.

exit2lef
Jan 2, 2018, 12:55 PM
I took the kids to Zoo Lights last night and decided to head into Downtown Tempe for dinner afterward. Two observations:

1) Driving across the Mill Avenue bridge, it was impressive to see the sheer bulk of Tempe's skyline illuminiated in front of us. It was a different view than I see when I enter Tempe during the day via light rail, and it's a striking gateway image that wouldn't have existed as little as a decade ago.

2) Looking out the window of Shady Park while enjoying bowls of ramen, it was impressive to see three cranes for the Opus mixed use project a block to the east -- especially since this land languished as surface parking after the Arches was torn down. I forget: Does this project have a snappy name yet?

PHXFlyer11
Jan 2, 2018, 1:34 PM
Apologize if this was mentioned, but the crane is up for The Pier... the issue is that it's about 30 feet tall, but completely assembled. Anyone know what the hell they are doing? so weird.

muertecaza
Jan 2, 2018, 4:30 PM
I'm sorry if this has been stated before, but what is the official height of the Aura at watermark? Some articles are saying it's 225ft while this other article states 275ft or around that height.

Both are true. The current office building under construction is 225'. A future phase office building is planned for roughly 275'.

Looking out the window of Shady Park while enjoying bowls of ramen, it was impressive to see three cranes for the Opus mixed use project a block to the east -- especially since this land languished as surface parking after the Arches was torn down. I forget: Does this project have a snappy name yet?

The name is 'Tempe Union.' They have a website now here (http://www.uniontempe.com/).

exit2lef
Jan 2, 2018, 4:56 PM
The name is 'Tempe Union.' They have a website now here (http://www.uniontempe.com/).

Thanks. Glad to see it adding to the skyline.

nickw252
Jan 2, 2018, 5:40 PM

I'd say closer to 225 feet. Take a look at p. 6 of their booklet:

http://www.watermarktempe.com/pdf/water_mark_marking_book.pdf

one floor that's 20', eight floors that are 13'6", and then seven floors of parking (height not labeled but I'm estimating around 12' per floor). This adds up to 212'. Add on a few feet for mechanical equipment on the roof and structural elements between the floors and we're looking at about 225'.

ciweiss
Jan 2, 2018, 7:34 PM
Carvana is higher than the freeway now. But just some skinny beams at this point

CrestedSaguaro
Jan 2, 2018, 11:14 PM
Carvana is higher than the freeway now. But just some skinny beams at this point

I was looking at that last night. I think it's topped out. I have no idea how those skinny beams are going to hold cars. :sly:

CrestedSaguaro
Jan 2, 2018, 11:15 PM
Thanks. Glad to see it adding to the skyline.

Check out the construction cam from the site. GREAT View of Tempe!

https://app.oxblue.com/open/EDR/tempe

CrestedSaguaro
Jan 2, 2018, 11:22 PM
I'd say closer to 225 feet. Take a look at p. 6 of their booklet:

http://www.watermarktempe.com/pdf/water_mark_marking_book.pdf

one floor that's 20', eight floors that are 13'6", and then seven floors of parking (height not labeled but I'm estimating around 12' per floor). This adds up to 212'. Add on a few feet for mechanical equipment on the roof and structural elements between the floors and we're looking at about 225'.

I thought I remember it was approved at 255'. I can't find the FAA application in the archives though. But I did find the tower crane and it was approved for 295'. So 255' would sound about right if the crane is indeed 295'.

muertecaza
Jan 2, 2018, 11:31 PM

Hopefully before that camera is taken down we'll be seeing action on the Mirabella and Westin sites. And within the scope of that view we have the proposals for an Omni hotel next to Mirabella, the residential next to Westin, and the Hawaiin BBQ residential.

muertecaza
Jan 3, 2018, 12:01 AM
Miscellaneous notes for Tempe:

The proposal at College/6th St. where the Hawaiin BBQ is is going before the DRC later this month. Interested to see the specifics.
A lot of proposals going before DRC on the 9th of this month. The Apache/Oak proposal along the light rail is in a scaled down form. I believe the original proposal was about 50 units on .9 acres. This one is 22 units. It apparently is within the existing zoning, and has support of the neighboring single family homes that opposed the previous iteration.
Park Place (Apache/Terrace next to Nexa) is also going before the DRC. I hope the proposal is approved as is. It has reduced parking (~.5 spots per bedroom), good commercial space along Apache and Terrace, signals the demise of another mobile home park on Apache, and is along the streetcar route (not much developable space left there). I will miss D'Lite though--would be nice if they wanted to continue in one of the commercial spaces when completed.
The Broadstone proposed on Rio Salado east of the 101 (where the ASU Surplus Property lot is) is going to the DRC. It's pretty blah, but short of a future street car extension, I'm not too concerned about that area.
More townhomes on Farmer north of University, these by Desert Viking. I was under the impression that the yellow ones on 7th St. hadn't sold that well. But more power to them.

DRC packets available here: http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=59663

PhxSprawler
Jan 3, 2018, 9:12 PM

This is a great view. Looks like the Penthouse in W6 is available. :)

PHXFlyer11
Jan 6, 2018, 2:13 PM
Miscellaneous notes for Tempe:

The proposal at College/6th St. where the Hawaiin BBQ is is going before the DRC later this month. Interested to see the specifics.
A lot of proposals going before DRC on the 9th of this month. The Apache/Oak proposal along the light rail is in a scaled down form. I believe the original proposal was about 50 units on .9 acres. This one is 22 units. It apparently is within the existing zoning, and has support of the neighboring single family homes that opposed the previous iteration.
Park Place (Apache/Terrace next to Nexa) is also going before the DRC. I hope the proposal is approved as is. It has reduced parking (~.5 spots per bedroom), good commercial space along Apache and Terrace, signals the demise of another mobile home park on Apache, and is along the streetcar route (not much developable space left there). I will miss D'Lite though--would be nice if they wanted to continue in one of the commercial spaces when completed.
The Broadstone proposed on Rio Salado east of the 101 (where the ASU Surplus Property lot is) is going to the DRC. It's pretty blah, but short of a future street car extension, I'm not too concerned about that area.
More townhomes on Farmer north of University, these by Desert Viking. I was under the impression that the yellow ones on 7th St. hadn't sold that well. But more power to them.

DRC packets available here: http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=59663

Can’t wait to see the renderings for The Hayden. They have the tower pegged for mostly hotel rooms, then condos and commercial. Basically, think Cityscape Palomar / residences building.

Would love to see a 20 story office tower come to downtown Tempe. I know the office space is mainly on the lake, but that would bring tremendous diversity.

When the hell is anything ever gonna happen with the Athletic District? Maybe they are waiting to officially get the no from AMZN.

muertecaza
Jan 8, 2018, 8:38 PM
Looks like Mirabella ready to start January 22--two weeks away.

https://i.imgur.com/cmNKH04h.jpg

stutteringpunk
Jan 8, 2018, 11:34 PM
Looks like Mirabella ready to start January 22--two weeks away.

https://i.imgur.com/cmNKH04h.jpg

Man, traffic is already bad near university as it is. Unpopular opinion, but throwing olds into the mix might make it even worse.

Renz
Jan 9, 2018, 12:33 AM
Man, traffic is already bad near university as it is. Unpopular opinion, but throwing olds into the mix might make it even worse.

After speaking to several of my buds about this, they shared the same opinion as you and now I'm starting to think it isn't so great either.

There's an ecosystem in this city, and throwing olds in the middle of a downtown with their Prius into busy intersections might be a traffic nightmare for everyone else. It also works both ways. A loud town square isn't my idea of a retirement home.

Classical in Phoenix
Jan 9, 2018, 12:46 AM
Part of the monthly fee you pay is for a driver to take you where you want to go. Plus, you only get space for one car and you cannot park it yourself.

muertecaza
Jan 9, 2018, 12:56 AM
After speaking to several of my buds about this, they shared the same opinion as you and now I'm starting to think it isn't so great either.

There's an ecosystem in this city, and throwing olds in the middle of a downtown with their Prius into busy intersections might be a traffic nightmare for everyone else. It also works both ways. A loud town square isn't my idea of a retirement home.

I don't necessarily see the retirement age residents contributing to traffic congestion more or less than college or working age residents. If anything, I would think they'd be one of the more likely groups to walk for a large percentage of trips.

If traffic does noticeably worsen though, it will be interesting to see if there is an increase in interest in the idea that has been batted around the city council to close University to cars from Rural to Mill.