PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix CityScape Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78

Vicelord John
Feb 9, 2011, 5:54 PM
stop shopping in the womens dumbass.

Hell, even 18 year-old Patrick Ryan gets it.

Have you been in there? Its all skinny hipster clothes. Their L is the same as anyone elses S.

HX_Guy
Feb 9, 2011, 6:02 PM
Oh come on you're exaggerating a little, no? I would say their XL is like an L, their L is like a M. Same exact stuff as any European brand.

westbev93
Feb 9, 2011, 6:16 PM
I don't know about L vs. M, but I will tell you that unless you are built like a teenage girl you will not be able to purchase pants at that damn store. I am a man, and I bike everyday. Consequently, my thighs have some girth to them. They should rethink only selling skinny jeans.

Urban Outfitters doesn't really seem like a destination shopping place in itself so without CS operating at full capacity, I wouldn't imagine people have reasons to go there over the Urban Outfitters on Mill or Anthropologie at one of the malls (which is the affiliate company of UO). Hopefully when the rest of CS opens up there will be more traffic for all the retail. Until that happens, they are doomed.

bwonger06
Feb 9, 2011, 6:17 PM
Have you been in there? Its all skinny hipster clothes. Their L is the same as anyone elses S.

Problem, as mentioned before, is all about demographics. I think Urban Outfitters has become more of a high school brand (a la Abercrombie) with some market penetration into the college crowd. UO has become a hard sell to anyone over 20 and making decent amounts of money.

Location-wise, it is completely isolated. A teenager will make her/his way over to Scottsdale Fashion Square where there is a cluster of stores.

More appropriate stores would have been Banana Republic, JCrew and the likes. Although a little more pricey than UO, it is still affordable and can market itself to a lot of the working professionals in the area.

I do not think UO will ever take off unless you get a cluster effect of shopping located in that location. The Mill UO has fallen apart and foot traffic is non-existent whereas UO in more clustered areas (Scottsdale) have constant foot traffic.

Just look at the success of Wisconsin Ave (DC/Georgetown), Michigan Ave (Chicago), Rodeo Dr. (SF), Melrose/3rd St promenade (LA). Stores do not need a mall to be successful but they do not to be close in proximity to other stores. I doubt Cityscape will ever achieve this kind of success given how built out most of the area is and the lack of space for boutique type shops.

HooverDam
Feb 9, 2011, 6:36 PM
Just look at the success of Wisconsin Ave (DC/Georgetown), Michigan Ave (Chicago), Rodeo Dr. (SF), Melrose/3rd St promenade (LA). Stores do not need a mall to be successful but they do not to be close in proximity to other stores. I doubt Cityscape will ever achieve this kind of success given how built out most of the area is and the lack of space for boutique type shops.

Exactly and they also need anchor stores, we learned this lesson with the Galleria and CityNorth but developers don't seem to get it. Whats the shopping anchor at CityScape--it doesn't have one and it can't due to its size & layout.

CityScape even if it was 100% retail just doesn't have enough space to create a real shopping district, its too small. A much larger shopping area needs to be built and the tricky thing is you likely have to build it all at once. Opening it in half ass phases like CityScape and having no real grand opening is a recipe for failure, you don't want people coming down and seeing an ugly construction zone.

Like I've said before the City really ought to focus on Van Buren especially from Central to 7th Ave, its the only chance Downtown has for a real shopping street.

FortyAcres
Feb 9, 2011, 6:50 PM
Urban is as relevant at Banana or JCrew (srsly JCrew? LOL)

What it suffers from is that no scene kid -- from somewhere even as close as the Roosevelt Dist -- is gonna hike their asses a dozen blocks for a print tee with Angela Lansbury on it. They sure as all get out ain't gonna drive there.

So who is, indeed, their target? What a giant cluster of fuck to have thought there was a demo for UO.

I said near the beginning of this thread that H&M should have been sought after like a goddam cure for herpes. That is an anchor store without the stuffy gravity of a bore like Macy's or Dillard's.

And if you wanna go big, its gotta be BIG. Neiman or Barneys big.

Why is this so hard for developers to comprehend? Oh, right, because they're out-of-touch 80 year old white men who think UO is edgy and JCrew is current. Take a fucking field trip, men.

Vicelord John
Feb 9, 2011, 7:27 PM
I dunno HX, my girl got me a jacket for xmas that was a large, and it fits almost skin tight. I tried to exchange for XL, which I never wear, and they dont carry XL.

phoenixheadphones
Feb 9, 2011, 7:28 PM
I'm 26 and i work downtown, so i've been to Urban a couple of times and bought a few things. I've seen students in there and at Charming Charlies, so people are going to the stores. But it is a really long hike from ASU, which i work right near, or from Roosevelt, so i think people are a little reluctant.
I think the main problem with cityscape is that they opened it too early. You cant open this half-built project, without any big restaurants or anything, and expect people to come out. It seems half finished and underwhelming, so i think people forget about it. They should have waited until the Stand Up Live was in or something to make it more interesting.
Also, i have some friends at have worked at Urban in the past, and they are notorious for hiring a whole bunch of people, and then laying off a bunch, and then hiring a bunch again. I think it might have to do with keeping wages low, but i'm not sure really sure why. Anyway, I wouldn't read into it too too much.

Jsmscaleros
Feb 9, 2011, 8:41 PM
But it is a really long hike from ASU, which i work right near, or from Roosevelt, so i think people are a little reluctant.

This is proof to me that many people still don't think of distances in relation to the light rail (yet). While it is a long walk to Cityscape from ASU or Roosevelt, you could hop on the train at Fillmore and get dropped off literally across the street. I forget about bike/train/walk connections myself because I was born here and we've only had a train for 2 years.

Vicelord John
Feb 9, 2011, 8:46 PM
It's five freaking blocks from ASU to Cityscape.... If thats too far then I'm a serious overachiever (im not.)

Jsmscaleros
Feb 9, 2011, 9:00 PM
Hah! I agree with you... I've walked from Roosevelt/5th to Central and Lincoln on a First Friday with no problem - I'm guessing that's about 2 miles?

The walk from Tempe campus to urban Outfitters on Mill is comparable, but Mill and Cityscape are quite different.

phoenixheadphones
Feb 9, 2011, 9:15 PM
Yeah, I personally dont think its a very long walk, but I've heard that complaint from people at my work. Also, riding the light rail isn't always a good opinion when you're actually going from one place in downtown to another, unless you're right on the line. I work on 2nd street, so going over to the train is just silly. Also if you miss the train, its not worth waiting for another one, because it'll be another 10 or 15 minutes. By then, lunch is over.
But my point was mostly that i think business will pick up once the whole shabang is open. I really like Cityspace, but I must admit its still pretty underwhelming. So once people walk down there, i'm not sure its cool enough to keep them coming back.
Once more things open, people will be more excited to go down there. At least thats my hope.

HX_Guy
Feb 10, 2011, 8:14 PM
Looks like they have the elevator core molds back up! You can sort of see it in this webcam pic...

http://www.nitnelav.com/KimptonCore.jpg

Vicelord John
Feb 10, 2011, 8:36 PM
I just don't care anymore...I want to get excited, I really do, but it's tough to waste any more energy on it.

gymratmanaz
Feb 10, 2011, 8:37 PM
I'll check when downtown later. They have been up there waiting to be used. Are they in a new location than before? I never look at the webcam, so not sure. Again, I will check at about 5:30.

AZScraper
Feb 10, 2011, 11:27 PM
http://i51.tinypic.com/imno5x.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/j0jqlx.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/2q9jr47.jpg
Webcam looks nice and choppy.
Hope these help. :tup:
The crane was moving these around yesterday. :whip:

HX_Guy
Feb 10, 2011, 11:34 PM
Great shots! What floor are you on?

And in this picture, it definitely looks like that will be the hotel pool and nightclub/lounge area...we were wondering about that a while back.
http://i54.tinypic.com/j0jqlx.jpg

AZScraper
Feb 10, 2011, 11:45 PM
I'm in the Penthouse on 28th. :)
http://i56.tinypic.com/2yuedn6.jpg

gymratmanaz
Feb 11, 2011, 1:33 AM
Party in the Penthouse!!!! You are now the official Eye in the Sky!!!!

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HX_Guy
Feb 11, 2011, 5:44 PM
Maybe there's hope for all those blank walls after all?

CityScape to feature LED advertising by Elite Media
Phoenix Business Journal
Date: Friday, February 11, 2011, 10:06am MST

RED Development has hired a Las Vegas company to handle the outdoor advertising at Phoenix’s CityScape.
Elite Media will be managing the exterior advertising of the downtown Phoenix development, which includes outdoor building wraps and LED advertising. Terms of the deal were not released.
Company executives said they have plans to add high profile LED elements throughout the property to help create a “Times Square” feel to the project.
Elite Media specializes in wallscapes, building wraps and outdoor projection media, and operates a number of advertorial spaces on The Strip and across downtown Las Vegas, including areas near the Las Vegas Convention Center.

Read more: CityScape to feature LED advertising by Elite Media | Phoenix Business Journal

Here are some videos from YouTube that gives an idea of what we could expect...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDOSBoA6SNY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w4sqCUE22Q

HooverDam
Feb 11, 2011, 6:24 PM
Why do developers have to cite Times Square every time they put up signs or LEDs? They just make themselves look foolish and out of touch and end up letting people down. Just like at Westgate, sure those billboard look fine, but no one except some hillbilly from Holbrook is going to be wowed and think "gee golly this is like Times Square!"

dtnphx
Feb 11, 2011, 6:25 PM
Anything to help the bland facades facing along 1st Ave and Jefferson, especially. Very Blade Runner-ish.

Don B.
Feb 11, 2011, 6:46 PM
Why do developers have to cite Times Square every time they put up signs or LEDs? They just make themselves look foolish and out of touch and end up letting people down. Just like at Westgate, sure those billboard look fine, but no one except some hillbilly from Holbrook is going to be wowed and think "gee golly this is like Times Square!"

I hear you, but I will note they said "help create a Times Square feel," so I don't think they are delusional enough to actually believe they are going to create Times Square in Phoenix.

--don

phoenixheadphones
Feb 11, 2011, 6:47 PM
I hope those turn out well. I'm glad they are adding some futuristic looking signage, because those kind of signs can really add a "big city" feel to the area. seems like a good deal to me. But yeah, the really shouldnt do the New York comparisons. We're not quite on that level yet..

Vicelord John
Feb 11, 2011, 7:24 PM
Cityscape is Rockefeller Square AND Times Square?

WOAH! Phoenix is big time now!

PHX31
Feb 11, 2011, 7:31 PM
Cityscape is Rockefeller Square AND Times Square?

WOAH! Phoenix is big time now!

Yeah, duh, I'm surprised you couldn't tell.

Vicelord John
Feb 11, 2011, 8:19 PM
I just found out I'll be having dinner at Arrogant Butcher on Wednesday night the 16th. I'll report back afterward. I think the official opening has been moved up to the 21st as well.

gymratmanaz
Feb 11, 2011, 8:38 PM
Need A Cohort In Crime?

Vicelord John
Feb 11, 2011, 8:52 PM
If my girlfriend has to go to school (which is likely) you're more than welcome to come along. I get one guest so why not!

westbev93
Feb 11, 2011, 8:56 PM
Ugh, you're going to go on lawyer night? God have mercy on your soul.

gymratmanaz
Feb 11, 2011, 9:50 PM
Give a shout if you need your plus 1. Thanks.

Vicelord John
Feb 11, 2011, 9:56 PM
Ugh, you're going to go on lawyer night? God have mercy on your soul.

Huh? A lawyer night?

HX_Guy
Feb 12, 2011, 9:02 PM
http://nitnelav.com/DTFeb122011/8.jpg

http://nitnelav.com/DTFeb122011/9.jpg

http://nitnelav.com/DTFeb122011/10.jpg

http://nitnelav.com/DTFeb122011/11.jpg

http://nitnelav.com/DTFeb122011/12.jpg

nickw252
Feb 12, 2011, 9:14 PM

I agree, it's better to under-promise and over-deliver.

When they said the ice rink would "bring a little bit of Rockefeller Center to Phoenix" I was excited. I obviously knew it wouldn't be as big but when I saw it in person I was disgusted.

gymratmanaz
Feb 12, 2011, 11:15 PM
I'ld bet next years will be nicer. The first time, even I might be scared to spend a ton and find no one comes. It was really busy and a big success from what i saw. I can only imagine that with another year and more stores open, we will see bigger and better everything down there. I sure hope that applies to the tree.

nickw252
Feb 13, 2011, 4:01 AM
I'ld bet next years will be nicer. The first time, even I might be scared to spend a ton and find no one comes. It was really busy and a big success from what i saw. I can only imagine that with another year and more stores open, we will see bigger and better everything down there. I sure hope that applies to the tree.

I also heard next year's will be bigger, I sure hope so.

Also, every time I went there it was busier than I expected so that was good.

westbev93
Feb 14, 2011, 2:50 PM
Arrogant Butcher is hosting the State Bar on the 16th according to some email they sent me.

Vicelord John
Feb 14, 2011, 5:02 PM
Arrogant Butcher is hosting the State Bar on the 16th according to some email they sent me.

Hmm not what they told me at sll. I guess I'll find out!

HX_Guy
Feb 15, 2011, 8:11 PM
Cityscape has some nice photos up on Flickr...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4073/5448918226_3b10f92875_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5134/5448934754_f0fbfa7e1e_b.jpg

dtnphx
Feb 15, 2011, 11:16 PM
Great shots! On the second photo, you can clearly see the pad at the Collier Center where the proposed Marriott Hotel was supposed to go. Can't believe it hasn't been developed after all these years considering it's directly across the street from the Convention Center.

HX_Guy
Feb 16, 2011, 12:20 AM
Yea that is crazy. I can't believe that there are rumors to put hotels on the block directly west but they can't develop that on a ready-to-go pad. WTF?

Its interesting how you have this crescent shape developing with downtown and you have this sort of void in the middle. The block directly west and north of USAC really need to be developed, as does that Marriott hotel pad.

HX_Guy
Feb 16, 2011, 12:20 AM
RED gets $34M bridge loan for Kimpton Palomar Hotel
Phoenix Business Journal
Date: Tuesday, February 15, 2011, 4:50pm MST

Phoenix Community Development and Investment Corp. approved a $34.3 million new markets tax credit bridge loan for RED Development’s construction of the Kimpton Palomar Hotel at CityScape in downtown Phoenix.
The loan program provides below-market-rate financing small businesses, developers and mission-focused nonprofits to encourage neighborhood revitalization and stabilization in qualified areas.
“Prior to the CityScape development, this area was occupied by an outdated park and an underutilized surface parking lot with no landscaping and was generating zero jobs and zero tax revenue for the city,” said Phoenix City Councilman Michael Johnson. “This public/private partnership enhances downtown Phoenix’s redevelopment and renaissance efforts, creates a sustainable tax revenue source and long-term jobs.”

Read more: RED gets $34M bridge loan for Kimpton Palomar Hotel | Phoenix Business Journal

gymratmanaz
Feb 16, 2011, 1:32 AM
Any hotel construction update from anyone DT? Cement?

Vicelord John
Feb 16, 2011, 1:40 AM
Yes it went up 2 floors... The elevator shaft that is. Are you going to reply to my PM's?

HX_Guy
Feb 16, 2011, 3:27 AM
Any hotel construction update from anyone DT? Cement?

It looked like they got rebar up for the elevator core from the webcam but it's hard to tell.

gymratmanaz
Feb 16, 2011, 3:50 AM
Will check tomorrow. Will be there.

Vicelord John
Feb 16, 2011, 3:58 AM
I have some pictures from over there today, and a good pic of the new courthouse. Will post later if i dont get too tired.

HX_Guy
Feb 16, 2011, 4:32 AM
Restaurateur Sam Fox's Arrogant Butcher restaurant to open Feb. 21

5 comments by Emily Gersema - Feb. 16, 2011 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

Many cities have a landmark restaurant where politicians and business leaders make deals over lunch in a quiet booth or a drink at the bar.

Restaurateur Sam Fox believes his latest creation, Arrogant Butcher, will become that restaurant for Phoenix when it opens Monday in a prime downtown spot - the corner of First and Jefferson streets in downtown's CityScape retail-and-office development.

Fox, who owns Fox Restaurant Concepts that has about two dozen restaurants in Arizona, was among the first well-known lessees who signed with RED Development to anchor a space in CityScape.

RED has courted other big names in the restaurant industry. LGO was expected to open a restaurant, LGO Public House, at CityScape. But LGO has pulled out, leaving Fox as the single biggest local name at CityScape - at least, for now. RED officials said they're in talks with other well-known restaurateurs but have not yet announced a replacement for LGO.

As home to five of Phoenix's biggest law firms, CityScape has a ready lunch crowd that Fox and other restaurant owners want to include in their clientele. Fox expects he will count Phoenix officials, Maricopa County officials, Diamondbacks and Suns executives, lawyers, judges and lobbyists among the regulars at Arrogant Butcher, where they can order cocktails like the "Effen Russian" or "The Last Word." Diners who sit at the raw bar overlooking the kitchen can watch a show of flame and pan flipping as they eat oysters and other seafood.

"There's a big power sort of lunch presence that we're going to have here," Fox said.

Those potential customers inspired the restaurant's name - a challenge that dares curious diners to sit down for a pastrami sandwich, an entree of swordfish or a glass of wine.

"It's sort of a play on the movers and shakers and their confidence and their arrogance," he said. "We wanted it to be cheeky and edgy."

In the back of the 7,500-square-foot restaurant are three private-dining areas, with enough room for small board meetings or parties. Yellow- and white-striped awnings will shade diners who prefer to eat street side. On weekends, Fox envisions residents from neighborhoods such as Willo and Encanto bringing their families downtown for brunch.

"We'll have a section on the menu with 10 kinds of egg sandwiches. We'll have different kinds of breads, toppings," Fox said.

Fox is entering new territory with a downtown Phoenix restaurant and has gone to extraordinary measures to attract a loyal crowd in the days leading up to Monday's grand opening:

- Today, he is hosting a dinner with the State Bar of Arizona to raise money for the Arizona Foundation for Legal Services and Education.

- Thursday, he has invited Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon and members of the Downtown Phoenix Partnership to lunch to raise money for Central Arizona Shelter Services, which assists poor and homeless people. On Thursday evening, he hosts a happy hour for the Phoenix Suns Charities followed by a cocktail party with the IonAZ and Greater Phoenix Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce to raise money for the Southwest Center for HIV/AIDS.

- Friday, he hosts a "power lunch" with the Phoenix Chamber of Commerce and Arizona Bankers Association to raise money for the Phoenix Symphony and United Way. The Diamondbacks and former player Luis Gonzalez are invited to happy hour. Dinner is with the Arizona News Service to raise money for non-profit groups Arizona Friends of Foster Children, Joe Foss Institute and Aguila.

- Saturday, Fox has invited the residents of Willo and Encanto, the historic Phoenix neighborhoods, to brunch at 10 a.m. Happy hour is with the Arizona Republican and Democrat parties. A VIP dinner is planned for Local First Arizona and the Herberger Theater.

Debbie Porter, spokeswoman for Fox Restaurant Concepts, said the company also hired well-known public-relations figure Jason Rose to help with publicity and to connect with the who's who of Phoenix.

Porter said the company has held similar events in its restaurants in other states. A few of the anticipated customers already have mentioned their interest in the restaurant, which will be open for lunch and dinner Monday through Saturday.

Suns President and CEO Rick Welts recently said he and other Suns employees are looking forward to having a new dining option so close to their offices at US Airways Center.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles/2011/02/16/20110216phoenix-arrogant-butcher-restaurant.html#ixzz1E5ptn0O3

Vicelord John
Feb 16, 2011, 5:24 AM
Hotel moving up:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/haulasshyena/DSC_4485.jpg

I keep wanting to say Arrogant Bastard:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/haulasshyena/DSC_4487.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/haulasshyena/DSC_4488.jpg

HooverDam
Feb 16, 2011, 6:40 AM
Is that a plastic table and chair set like you'd see at a fast food restaurant outside of a place trying to angle itself as a place for power lunches?

plinko
Feb 16, 2011, 9:04 AM
The lack of solar panels for at least hot water (and maybe at least some PV like landscape lighting) on the top of the Patriot's Square building is asinine...

gymratmanaz
Feb 16, 2011, 12:37 PM
Those tables are solid wood. I was there when they were delivered, and they said they would be painted before opening. No carving your name, Hoover!!! :)

Tempe_Duck
Feb 16, 2011, 6:34 PM
The lack of solar panels for at least hot water (and maybe at least some PV like landscape lighting) on the top of the Patriot's Square building is asinine...

I seem to remember a rooftop garden on that west block. Did it get axed with the apartments?

combusean
Feb 16, 2011, 8:10 PM
I seem to remember a rooftop garden on that west block. Did it get axed with the apartments?

The official word is that they couldn't get the height allowances for Renaissance Square on Block 77 to go taller than 2 stories. I'm sure axing the rooftop garden was just part of the value-engineering of the whole project from its original intentions.

HX_Guy
Feb 16, 2011, 9:12 PM
Been waiting a looong time to see these pictures... :D

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/182868_203605819653945_118100984871096_893483_3026042_n.jpg
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/184152_203605862987274_118100984871096_893485_6115014_n.jpg
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/182032_203605932987267_118100984871096_893489_4022391_n.jpg
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/183916_203605999653927_118100984871096_893491_2793764_n.jpg

Vicelord John
Feb 16, 2011, 9:17 PM
I posted one yesterday that showed the same progress.....?

gymratmanaz
Feb 16, 2011, 10:23 PM
These were action shots. :)

dtnphx
Feb 16, 2011, 10:30 PM
After all these years, actual confirmation of the hotel and seeing it built. Whoo Hoo!!!

Phxguy
Feb 17, 2011, 12:13 AM
The hotel was one of the only things about this project I was optimistic about. I'm so happy it's being built. Finally adding the much needed density on that corner.:tup:

HX_Guy
Feb 17, 2011, 12:41 AM
Picture courtesy of gymratman...

http://nitnelav.com/arrogantbutcher.jpg

Vicelord John
Feb 17, 2011, 12:52 AM
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/haulasshyena/e4fa5783.jpg

HX_Guy
Feb 17, 2011, 1:00 AM
I dig it! I'll be there next week to check it out.

Phxguy
Feb 17, 2011, 1:12 AM
I think downtown's finally getting it with the signs. It's about time.

Vicelord John
Feb 17, 2011, 3:35 AM
Fantastic meal at Arrogant Butcher. Bill would have been $107 for 1 app 2 entrees, 1 dessert, and 4 drinks. Not ridiculous but definitely not an everyday place for me

HX_Guy
Feb 17, 2011, 3:49 AM
Damn it it was free? How did you get on the list? :D

Vicelord John
Feb 17, 2011, 3:56 AM
I did some things I'm not proud of.

hah jk

I go to a lot of that stuff because I make money for people.

We had the black mussels in wine sauce with spicy pork shoulder, roasted grape tomatoes, and french fries (sounds odd but delicious) and my entree was crab stuffed chicken breast, breaded with myers lemons and caper slices. Chris had a boring steak but said he loved it and was the only one they could serve tonight! There were literally no hiccups and the service was perfect. Even the bussers and water people were spot on.... they've done a great job with training.

gymratmanaz
Feb 17, 2011, 4:27 AM
It was impressive and delicious. I would definitely go again. The mussels rocked! All the food was wonderful, and the service was spot on. They have done a great job of prepping the staff. I have not seen a smoother begining to a restaurant. I like the vibe inside and out. I talked a bit with the regional manager, Justin, and hear good things. John and I even strongly suggested they add more railing or planters to the patio. John suggested a glass half wall. Justin liked the input. The sign was lit when we left but too bright for either cameras to do justice. The corner looks fun now.

bwonger06
Feb 17, 2011, 4:29 AM
Fantastic meal at Arrogant Butcher. Bill would have been $107 for 1 app 2 entrees, 1 dessert, and 4 drinks. Not ridiculous but definitely not an everyday place for me

Definitely looks like a weekend place although the 4 drinks were what probably what did you in. Assuming they were 4 cocktails, you could probably knock 50 dollars off that bill.

Vicelord John
Feb 17, 2011, 4:33 AM
Drinks were $31 of the bill. Still $75 if you drink water.....

nickw252
Feb 17, 2011, 4:52 AM
Great shots! On the second photo, you can clearly see the pad at the Collier Center where the proposed Marriott Hotel was supposed to go. Can't believe it hasn't been developed after all these years considering it's directly across the street from the Convention Center.

Aren't there zoning signs up there right now saying that it is being turned into a temporary parking lot?

Vicelord John
Feb 17, 2011, 4:54 AM
Aren't there zoning signs up there right now saying that it is being turned into a temporary parking lot?

I don't see how that would be possible. Re-check your map.

nickw252
Feb 17, 2011, 4:58 AM
I don't see how that would be possible. Re-check your map.

I'm talking about the lot between the CityScape tower and the Bank of America building. Is this the wrong lot?

Also, HX_Guy - those are really good pictures, do you have higher resolution copies?

Edit: After looking at it more closely I see where you're talking about - just south of the BoA building.

HX_Guy
Feb 17, 2011, 6:05 AM
Yea, they are on Flickr in huge sizes... (I didn't take them though)

3600x2400
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5134/5448934754_b76037d2dc_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4073/5448918226_ea5dab8cc5_o.jpg

Vicelord John
Feb 19, 2011, 5:34 PM
I stole this from Yelp

http://media1.ct.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/iz0uf0-O-wsW-bbGJGPilA/l

gymratmanaz
Feb 19, 2011, 9:55 PM
The finished AB painted mural looks great, sorry no pics.

At AB, the patio now has all the planters on 8 inch raised iron stands and chain linking in between each set. Much nicer!

Not sure, but lots going on inside Oakville Grocery. For months and months the styrofoam blocks sat. They are now all places and yesterday and today they put the finishing touches on the newly laid cement floor. Progress!!!!!!

renone
Feb 21, 2011, 7:46 PM
The tower crane is really moving today. The concrete forms are going up and they will be pouring new concrete soon. It will be exciting to see the hotel start moving up.

davidmperre@gmail.co
Feb 21, 2011, 8:30 PM

I think buildings in Phoenix should add more solar panals and rooftop gardens to the top of their buildings.

gymratmanaz
Feb 21, 2011, 8:38 PM
Lots going on today.

* 6 Columns of the hotel are framed and should get poured later tonight i would think.
* 6 workmen working all over the elevator core.
* great news, Oakville.... I looked in and saw both pallets of metal framing studs for walls... and the blueprints labeled Oakville Gracery. They are moving forward now!
* I walked inside STAND UP LIVE, it is totally drywalled. They were taping and mudding, some brickwork up. There seems to be a big room and a smaller room for smaller acts.
* There is an added south door on the sidewalk that leads to a starcase already built, that goes through Oakville and leads up to Stand Up Live, as a second entrance or something.
* I think i see work being done on the 3 restaurants going in next to Lucky Strike.
* Lots of people shopping in ALL stores, 4 small groups of people sitting at tables reading, eating, talking, computer using...

COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HooverDam
Feb 21, 2011, 8:53 PM
\
* I walked inside STAND UP LIVE, it is totally drywalled. They were taping and mudding, some brickwork up. There seems to be a big room and a smaller room for smaller acts.

Thats good news, the Improv has a side room as well but only rarely uses it. Hopefully Stand Up Live will do an open mic or local showcase show on Monday's or something to help foster the local scene-- unfortunately I doubt that'll be the case considering who's running Stand Up Live.

bwonger06
Feb 21, 2011, 10:58 PM
There were definitely a lot of people downtown today, especially a lot of families. The light rail was jam packed and the weather was absolutely perfect. Too bad I had work and school today :yuck:

Phxguy
Feb 22, 2011, 12:38 AM
Sounds like Cityscape has had a good holiday weekend, not only constuction wise but buisness. Even when I went on Saturday in the pouring rain, the stores were busy. Not mall busy but buisness was good. Even in Urban Outfitters we had to wait a bit in line. Oh yeah Vitamin T did pretty good too. Sorry I only took one picture of the hotel construction from UO. Nothing much.

Tempe_Duck
Feb 22, 2011, 3:42 AM
I am trying to find information on Aaron May's restaurants at cityscpae. I know he opened Vitamin T but he was going to open two. A ramen soup place. Is the second one still happening or did he pull that one out?

Vicelord John
Feb 22, 2011, 5:31 AM
I've heard nothing about the ramen bar. He is good friends with the exec chef where I work and that stuff usually gets passed along to me.

Tempe_Duck
Feb 22, 2011, 8:02 AM
I've heard nothing about the ramen bar. He is good friends with the exec chef where I work and that stuff usually gets passed along to me.

Nothing about it? As in nothing ever about it or nothing about it being scrapped?

Vicelord John
Feb 22, 2011, 4:25 PM
Nothing since the initial announcement.

KingLouieLouie76
Feb 23, 2011, 6:16 PM
Some good news....

http://www.downtownphoenix.com/blog/2011/02/tilted-kilt-eyes-june-opening-at-cityscape/

Tilted Kilt Eyes June Opening at CityScape

The growing roster of restaurants at CityScape will add another key player in June with the opening of Tilted Kilt Pub & Eatery, the popular chain’s fifth location in the Valley.

When LGO Public House pulled out of Downtown’s entertainment district earlier this month due to ventilation issues, there were whispers that other restaurants in the works, including Tilted Kilt, would follow suit.

Not so, according to President Ron Lynch, who says Tilted Kilt is eager to open Downtown and pushing hard for a June 15 debut.

Vicelord John
Feb 23, 2011, 6:19 PM
saweet!!!! I love Tilted Kilt. They have the best, um, food. yeah, the food.

HX_Guy
Feb 23, 2011, 8:39 PM
We had the black mussels in wine sauce with spicy pork shoulder, roasted grape tomatoes, and french fries (sounds odd but delicious) and my entree was crab stuffed chicken breast, breaded with myers lemons and caper slices. Chris had a boring steak but said he loved it and was the only one they could serve tonight! There were literally no hiccups and the service was perfect. Even the bussers and water people were spot on.... they've done a great job with training.

I'm looking at their menu online and I'm not seeing the Black Mussels with Spicy Pork Shoulder...did they cut it? I'm going there tonight for my birthday and was looking forward to having that.

The Crab Stuffed Chicken Breast is still on the menu...how was that?

HX_Guy
Feb 23, 2011, 8:42 PM
By the way they are getting great reviews on Yelp...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-arrogant-butcher-phoenix

gymratmanaz
Feb 23, 2011, 9:03 PM
Black Mussels were on the appetizer list. They rocked!!!

HX_Guy
Feb 23, 2011, 9:10 PM
Aha! Thanks Chris, I see it now. So that's definitely recommended huh? I usually don't do an appetizer and entree, too much food...maybe I'll make an exception though. :)

gymratmanaz
Feb 23, 2011, 9:20 PM
sides are a la cart, so if you ask for the steak, you get just steak.

I loved the mussels and will return to get them again. I would even recommend you get some bread maybe, to soak up the extra juice. Or even ask for extra fries to do the same thing.

exit2lef
Feb 23, 2011, 10:28 PM
By the way they are getting great reviews on Yelp...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-arrogant-butcher-phoenix

I suspect most of those reviews were based on free meals offered during the preview week. That being said, I paid for a meal at AB last night and thought it was pretty good.

Vicelord John
Feb 23, 2011, 11:03 PM
My review was not based on it being a free meal, but yeah most of them are. The crab stuffed chicken was awesome, but it was a big meal.

AZScraper
Feb 23, 2011, 11:28 PM
Just a pic, nothing about AB's pork shoulder a la carte here...
http://i54.tinypic.com/xg9dk.jpg

exit2lef
Feb 24, 2011, 2:47 AM
My review was not based on it being a free meal, but yeah most of them are. The crab stuffed chicken was awesome, but it was a big meal.

Yes, I know you have the sense to see past the free part and evaluate the quality. I was thinking more of reviews by people who have little or no history on the site. That chicken dish sounds really good. I tried the Tuesday special of rainbow trout, which was very nice, along with the pretzel bun appetizer.

rapid_business
Feb 24, 2011, 4:19 PM
To avoid scrolling through 305 pages, can someone give me a quick run down of where this project is at, how it has progressed from its original design, and what the future holds for it? I am assuming it is becoming something rather different then the original concept?

Vicelord John
Feb 24, 2011, 4:25 PM
Seriously?

renone
Feb 24, 2011, 5:04 PM
The article about tilted kilt linked above said this:

"And as for the space vacated by LGO, there have already been serious talks with a possible replacement. And a very exciting one at that."

Does anyone have the inside sccop on who the mystery restaurant is?

rapid_business
Feb 24, 2011, 5:59 PM
Seriously?

A couple sentences would suffice. Sorry, didn't know that was too much to ask. :shrug: I'm just curious about the current state of the project.