PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix CityScape Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78

gymratmanaz
Sep 1, 2010, 12:51 PM
HX and I were talking about that the other day. I am thinking they might do something with those two lower cement boxes on the north-west corner, near where FIVE GUYS is. They look like 2 low planting beds. If they were going to be planting beds, wouldn't they be filled with trees or whateve. They have put all the planting in already. Both are covered with plywood. I am guessing one of them will be some kind of kioske, with all the shops listed of where they are located. The other I think might be for a sign naming the place. Not positive on this, cause they do have either water pipes or electrical conduit in them........

Vicelord John
Sep 1, 2010, 3:07 PM
Thwre will also be a kiosk where the rocks are on the mesa in the east block by the fountain.

Five guys opens tuesday the 7th.

Vicelord John
Sep 1, 2010, 3:12 PM
Also i decided last night that it aggivates me they built all the access to places based on the parking garage entrance. The only way to get to lucky strike/stand up live is via stairs/escalators/elevator located at the garage. We went there via the train headed southbound, so got off on first and jefferson. Had to walk around the building and then past lucky strike just to get upstairs.

Not pedestrian oriented.

HooverDam
Sep 1, 2010, 3:34 PM
Also i decided last night that it aggivates me they built all the access to places based on the parking garage entrance. The only way to get to lucky strike/stand up live is via stairs/escalators/elevator located at the garage. We went there via the train headed southbound, so got off on first and jefferson. Had to walk around the building and then past lucky strike just to get upstairs.

Not pedestrian oriented.

Its times like these when I wish the Republic was a real newspaper and had an architecture critic. We can't keep having stuff like this built in our city, we have to get design conscious at some point about public buildings and a newspaper holding peoples feet to the fire would help at least a little Id think.

PhxPavilion
Sep 1, 2010, 4:09 PM
I hope they add some kind of signage to that large elevator pilar off central.

dtnphx
Sep 1, 2010, 8:55 PM
I actually hope there isn't specific CityScape signage. For one, its a terrible name, but mostly I want people to say "Im going to Lucky Strike, Downtown" or "Im going to a Comedy Show, downtown." Cityscape, or Arizona Center or any name like that just makes it sound like a lame suburban experience.

EDIT: Since Im out of town, next time someone is down at CityScape Id appreciate if they'd keep their eyes open for me and let me know if "Stand Up Live!" has a website advertised or anything. Ive Googled and haven't found anything, Im interested in finding some info about the place.

But then when someone says, "Where, downtown? You'd have to say, what? In Cityscape. Horton Plaza, Watertower Place, Fulton Market, The Grove, Third Street Promenade are all urban shopping developments and I don't see why naming a destination shopping center detracts from it.

plinko
Sep 1, 2010, 10:07 PM
^All of those destinations you mentioned are orders of magnitude larger than Cityscape. Hell, the Arizona Center is 2X as large in terms of public space. To me that just doesn't lend itself to some huge destination signage. I've never been a huge fan of that type of thing anyway - 'Let's put a pretty arch over the street that says JSED!'

Downtown Phoenix is still small enough that if you tell someone to meet you at Cityscape, the explanation for how to find it isn't terribly difficult.

dtnphx
Sep 2, 2010, 8:11 PM
^All of those destinations you mentioned are orders of magnitude larger than Cityscape. Hell, the Arizona Center is 2X as large in terms of public space. To me that just doesn't lend itself to some huge destination signage. I've never been a huge fan of that type of thing anyway - 'Let's put a pretty arch over the street that says JSED!'

Downtown Phoenix is still small enough that if you tell someone to meet you at Cityscape, the explanation for how to find it isn't terribly difficult.

Places are named for a reason and therefore it should have sineage regardless of whether you think Cityscape is too small or Phoenix is not large enough to have earned it. It's still a significant downtown project or you wouldn't post comments here.

Vicelord John
Sep 2, 2010, 9:11 PM
I personally would rather they not aknowledge this as cityscape. It's a dumb name. dumb dumb dumb.

I'd rather just tell people to meet me at Tilted Kilt or Rasputin and then give them directions.

gymratmanaz
Sep 2, 2010, 9:11 PM
Touche' dtnphx!

combusean
Sep 4, 2010, 12:01 AM
A blurb about the Tilted Kilt opening up in Cityscape from AZCentral's article on the parent company. (http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles/2010/09/03/20100903tempe-tilted-kilt-sports-bar.html)

The 9,000-square-foot CityScape location, near the downtown Phoenix sports venues, will be the company's flagship location in the Valley and do double duty as a training ground for new franchisees.

gymratmanaz
Sep 14, 2010, 3:51 PM
I have been downtown a lot performing at Symphony hall. It is so cool to see so many people milling about at night. As Cityscape fills up with its other shops, I imagine better and better things to come in terms of traffic.

PhxPavilion
Sep 16, 2010, 12:12 AM
I have been downtown a lot performing at Symphony hall. It is so cool to see so many people milling about at night. As Cityscape fills up with its other shops, I imagine better and better things to come in terms of traffic.

Are you in the Symphony or were you with PT for the Music Man? I'm one of the Production Supervisors.

gymratmanaz
Sep 16, 2010, 1:28 AM
I was in The Music Man

HX_Guy
Sep 16, 2010, 9:03 PM
Could CityScape use something like this in the open plaza on Block 77?

This is over at Norterra...it was originally all open and uncovered like CityScape currently is and they just installed these shade structures. Maybe it's something they could do at CityScape as well?

http://nitnelav.com/cityscapesahde.jpg

gymratmanaz
Sep 16, 2010, 9:54 PM
Would be cool, I think!

HooverDam
Sep 16, 2010, 9:56 PM
Certainly CityScape could benefit from something like that. Go walk around the middle parts of either Tempe Marketplace or Desert Ridge and you'll see vastly better design regarding shade in an outdoor shopping center. They have lots of trees, tall-ish buildings, lots of shade structures, misters, etc.

PhxPavilion
Sep 17, 2010, 12:09 AM
Would certainly be nice but they could at least add tables and chairs with umbrellas like was pictured in the top down renderings.

HX_Guy
Sep 17, 2010, 2:24 AM
Norterra was also also developed by RED Development so maybe they will do something similar at CityScape if the demand is there from people.

Vicelord John
Sep 17, 2010, 3:20 AM
I wanna know who i have to talk to to get some bike racks installed at ground level. There is a corner by the elevator right in front of cvs that is begging for them.

gymratmanaz
Sep 17, 2010, 12:45 PM
That is a good point. I wonder is there a place for making suggestions or requests?

plinko
Sep 17, 2010, 4:18 PM
Providing shade in Arizona? Whowouldathunkit?

Vicelord John
Sep 17, 2010, 4:50 PM
Thats a crazy idea plinko

dtnphx
Sep 27, 2010, 3:34 AM
Drove by tonight around 7:45 and there was a crane and some twisty metal art looking thing that looked like it was going to be installed at the corner of 1st Ave and Washington right where Five Guys is. Anyone know what this is?

Vicelord John
Sep 27, 2010, 3:56 AM
I bet its a piece of art.

gymratmanaz
Sep 27, 2010, 5:16 AM
There are still the two low cement containers that look like short planting beds. I have been betting they were going to be for some kind of water feature, art installment, kioske, or a welcome sign with the name of the place.... Guess we will see by tomorrow.

HooverDam
Sep 27, 2010, 5:49 AM
I bet its a piece of art.

Speaking of art....the old PSP had brick pavers with the name of Phoenix "Patriots"/important folks, guys like Jack Swilling, Darrell Duppa, etc. They were supposed to save them an relay them into the new plaza, glad they lazily decided to say fuck it, and just go with the 'crap design' theme instead.

Vicelord John
Sep 27, 2010, 6:16 AM
It's sad that people don't know who Jack Swilling is.

HooverDam
Sep 27, 2010, 7:18 AM
It's sad that people don't know who Jack Swilling is.

Yah well we do a very poor job of embracing our history in this city. Any city founder ought to be recognized in his city, but especially Swilling because he was a bad ass. Addicted to morphine, killing all kinds of people, rad.

Like I've said before, since the condo towers portion of CityScape is unlikely to ever happen or at least not for 10+ years Id rather the lot bounded by Wash/Jeff & 1st/2nd into a park/central Square. Something like that could be called "Swilling Square" with a statue based on the famous photo of him prominently featured in it:

http://image.absoluteastronomy.com/images/encyclopediaimages/j/ja/jack_swilling.jpg

HX_Guy
Sep 27, 2010, 3:56 PM
CityScape had on their Facebook page that "Installation of the new Patriot's Park Memorial will take place this week." with this picture...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs324.ash2/60451_164339020247292_118100984871096_584274_6189917_n.jpg

HooverDam
Sep 27, 2010, 3:58 PM
^ Interesting, I guess those recessed places are where the old bricks will go. I thought they were just aesthetic. I wish they would've done some sort of aesthetic recessed pattern like that over more/most of the project, the large swaths of plain, gray, matte concrete are awful.

gymratmanaz
Sep 28, 2010, 2:06 AM
It is art going in on the NW corner. It is some kind of chrome snaking tubing that is curving and twisting around. It looks to be kinda cool. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. It is intriguing!!!!

Vicelord John
Sep 29, 2010, 7:02 AM
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/haulasshyena/95f43068.jpg

gymratmanaz
Sep 29, 2010, 12:49 PM
Nice picture John. It looks cool in the night light.

I kinda like it. I wonder what it will look like when finished. Art is always a good thing!!!

HX_Guy
Sep 30, 2010, 3:46 PM
Well...it's interesting. Apparently not complete yet.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs681.snc4/62151_165181243496403_118100984871096_589460_5903546_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs701.snc4/62151_165181253496402_118100984871096_589463_4137589_n.jpg

gymratmanaz
Sep 30, 2010, 4:50 PM
Great pics, HX. I like it more and more!!!!

HooverDam
Sep 30, 2010, 4:53 PM
Ick, so far it looks terrible, though I suppose I should wait until its done. So far it looks like typical corporate crap art like you'd see hastily thrown into a the middle of an office park.

It doesn't seem site specific or locale specific. I don't know about giant shiny metal posts like that in the middle of our already blazing inferno of a downtown. Do I really need to worry about light being reflected and intensified off this thing now too?

Vicelord John
Sep 30, 2010, 4:56 PM
Ick, so far it looks terrible, though I suppose I should wait until its done. So far it looks like typical corporate crap art like you'd see hastily thrown into a the middle of an office park.

It doesn't seem site specific or locale specific. I don't know about giant shiny metal posts like that in the middle of our already blazing inferno of a downtown. Do I really need to worry about light being reflected and intensified off this thing now too?

can't get much worse in terms of reflected heat. If you stand on the NWC of central and washington at about 3:00PM, you'll want to die on the spot. You'll wish the train would hit you. It's gotta feel like at least 120 or so when 40 feet away it's under 100. This place is a debacle. If it weren't for some great tenants, I'd want to explode it.

plinko
Sep 30, 2010, 4:58 PM
^No, you need to worry about kids walking over and putting their hands on it in the middle of the summer.

HooverDam
Sep 30, 2010, 5:23 PM
^No, you need to worry about kids walking over and putting their hands on it in the middle of the summer.

good point, not being a parent that didn't even occur to me.

gymratmanaz
Sep 30, 2010, 5:36 PM
Grumble, Grumble, Grumble. Think of it this way guys, it gives you something new to gripe about. LOL :)

CANUC
Sep 30, 2010, 5:40 PM
^Yeah, we're not the only ones with inappropriate designs installed in the desert. Check out the issue they're having with the design of the Vdara hotel in Vegas and the way its crescent shape is focusing the suns rays and litterally burning people at their pool. Apparently the convergence is intense enough that it is singeing peoples hair and melting plastic. Hows that for short sighted?

plinko
Sep 30, 2010, 5:45 PM
good point, not being a parent that didn't even occur to me.

I don't have kids. I've just designed enough buildings in the desert to know better...

Vicelord John
Sep 30, 2010, 5:51 PM
omg. I just read about the Vdara. What a funny thing to happen.

HooverDam
Sep 30, 2010, 6:37 PM
Grumble, Grumble, Grumble. Think of it this way guys, it gives you something new to gripe about. LOL :)

Yah how dare people want good design. We can't just keep acting happy to have any crappola development downtown. We need good developments with good design if we want a good downtown.

dtnphx
Sep 30, 2010, 9:26 PM
Actually the polls are going to be filled with super cold water. The circulating water will keep the poles cool (in fact) cold to the touch and supposidly designed to cool the surrounding area....now if that were only true...

Seriously, I went down last week when I spotted them installing this thing and walked through Cityscape. I could not have been more dissapointed with this place. I mean not only is it underwhelming, but it looks shoddy and cheap. The courtyard, ie. Patriots Park area is desolate and just plain ugly. I hope, I really do, that the tenant mix and other features to be added will help this place. I've been following for a long time (years in fact) on this project and on this forum and I am terribly dissapointed. I feel like I wasted my time discussing all that I hoped this place would be. I really hope to be proven wrong, but seriously folks, it's lame.

Leo the Dog
Sep 30, 2010, 10:47 PM
omg. I just read about the Vdara. What a funny thing to happen.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/vdara-visitor---death-ray--scorched-hair-103777559.html

That's a big "woops".

HX_Guy
Oct 5, 2010, 4:15 AM
Macy Gray to sing at CityScape grand opening

Larry Rodgers - Oct. 4, 2010 06:47 PM
The Arizona Republic

R&B and neo-soul singer Macy Gray will give a free concert Friday, Nov. 5, as part of the grand opening celebration for CityScape in downtown Phoenix.
Gray will perform from 9:30 to 11 p.m. on a stage on Central Avenue, which will be closed to vehicle traffic between Jefferson and Washington streets.
CityScape is a mixed-use development featuring stores, restaurants, a bowling alley, a hotel, offices and the redesigned Patriots Square park. It is bordered by First Street, First Avenue and Jefferson and Washington streets.

The grand opening will run Thursday, Nov. 4, through Sunday, Nov. 7.
A second national recording artist is being lined up to play Saturday, Nov. 6.
Several local artists also are scheduled to perform during the celebration, which also will include fashion shows, sports- and food-related events and comedy acts onstage.

http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/music/articles/2010/10/04/20101004macy-gray-free-concert-phoenix.html#ixzz11SF6TWeO

gymratmanaz
Oct 5, 2010, 12:47 PM
Now that is cool!

JimInCal
Oct 6, 2010, 7:10 PM
I love Macy Gray.... I agree that it's very cool that she is part of the grand opening festivities. That said, maybe they can also get the Green Goblin to swoop through on his hover board. To quote Mr. Burns, "it's like putting lipstick on a pig." I have been pleasantly surprised by the initial list of leasees but I could not be much more disappointed with the mediocre architecture plopped down at the 0.0 point of Phoenix. Maybe a nice hotel and further destination establishments will salvage the uninspiring environment.

(For those of you who missed it, Macy Gray sang in the first Spiderman movie when the Green Goblin ruined the festivities and did some major damage to the building where Mary Jane was standing on a balcony ...Hey, now there's a thought ;))

dtnphx
Oct 6, 2010, 7:42 PM
[QUOTE=JimInCal;5006591]I love Macy Gray.... I agree that it's very cool that she is part of the grand opening festivities. That said, maybe they can also get the Green Goblin to swoop through on his hover board. To quote Mr. Burns, "it's like putting lipstick on a pig." I have been pleasantly surprised by the initial list of leasees but I could not be much more disappointed with the mediocre architecture plopped down at the 0.0 point of Phoenix. Maybe a nice hotel and further destination establishments will salvage the uninspiring environment. [QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more.

dtnphx
Oct 6, 2010, 7:43 PM
I love Macy Gray.... I agree that it's very cool that she is part of the grand opening festivities. That said, maybe they can also get the Green Goblin to swoop through on his hover board. To quote Mr. Burns, "it's like putting lipstick on a pig." I have been pleasantly surprised by the initial list of leasees but I could not be much more disappointed with the mediocre architecture plopped down at the 0.0 point of Phoenix. Maybe a nice hotel and further destination establishments will salvage the uninspiring environment.

I couldn't agree more.

hrivas
Oct 8, 2010, 5:58 PM
there are new pictures on cityscapes facebook of the public art.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs779.snc4/65993_167397903274737_118100984871096_604211_7173245_n.jpg

JKPhx
Oct 9, 2010, 12:35 AM
What an uninspiring and weak excuse for public art especially on such a good corner in downtown.

combusean
Oct 9, 2010, 12:49 AM
It would be fine if the FIVE GUYSsign weren't in practically every possible shot of it except the one they mostly were able to hide on their page..

Edit: So that's what bullshit suburban retail uses. Arial Black. FUCK me RUNNING for finding that out.

gymratmanaz
Oct 9, 2010, 1:37 AM
Never seen anything like it. It is fun!!! (There. Now all can tell me I am wrong. You are open to your opinion. I am to mine. I like it!) :)

It is fun to think about "How does it stay up?" It looks like it should not be able to support itself. You can only see that by being there and not by looking at a static picture. I was there this afternoon. Poeple were looking at it, touching it, kids were riding bikes on the edges of the planting boxes under it, the band was playing their concert, the sounds echoed for blocks, lots of sidewalk trafic. FUN!!!

gymratmanaz
Oct 10, 2010, 6:44 PM
They are in the midst of adding some sort of canopy or something over that gravel rhombus pit on the Mesa. I am not sure what it will be, but it is some kind of sturdy structure, looking like a shade canopy or something. I hope it spreads out past the dimensions of the pit, that i was told was to be some sort of water feature originally. Anyone know what this will be?

mgmAZCO
Oct 12, 2010, 7:22 PM
I don't mind the artwork, it's interesting looking. I do wish they had incorporated something with color, a lot of grey and drab colors in the whole development.

Not sure what that is made of, but it looks like it could get quite hot during the summer.

phoenixwillrise
Oct 12, 2010, 8:16 PM
It would be fine if the FIVE GUYSsign weren't in practically every possible shot of it except the one they mostly were able to hide on their page..

Edit: So that's what bullshit suburban retail uses. Arial Black. FUCK me RUNNING for finding that out.

I agree. Having retired from the Electrical Sign Business after 30 years I think the signage at City Scape is as TACKY as it comes. Individual lighter letters are fine for a ma and pa shopping center but for a project like this there is so much more creativity that can be encouraged by hiring a big time design firm
to write a creative sign criteria that has class. What this usually shows is a landlord who is so desperate for tenants that they cow tow to any tacky thing the tenant wants.

HX_Guy
Oct 12, 2010, 8:47 PM
Uh guys, I think that font is their logo...it's not a Cityscape specific thing. Do a search on Google and you'll see it on all their stuff...

http://www.downtownphoenix.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/FiveGuys.jpg

phoenixwillrise
Oct 12, 2010, 8:56 PM
Uh guys, I think that font is their logo...it's not a Cityscape specific thing. Do a search on Google and you'll see it on all their stuff...

http://www.downtownphoenix.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/FiveGuys.jpg

That's true it is their letter style, but you can design a sign to be classy and still use your letter style. There are numerous materials and fabrication methods you can use and still use your basic letter and logo style.

gymratmanaz
Oct 16, 2010, 5:24 PM
Is it just me or does there look to be new scaffolding around the tall mid section of the hotel portion, where the rebar sticks out???? I HOPE!!!!! :)

Vicelord John
Oct 16, 2010, 5:27 PM
It looked like it was ready to go up when I was there last week. They wouldn't still be paying rent on the crane if they didn't plan to bulid soon.

bwonger06
Oct 16, 2010, 5:53 PM
CityScape to celebrate grand opening

2 comments by Emily Gersema - Oct. 16, 2010 08:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

The $900 million CityScape development that spans two blocks in downtown Phoenix has been opening offices, restaurants and stores gradually.

Next month, the project by RED Development, which stretches from First Street to First Avenue and from Washington to Jefferson streets at First and Jefferson streets, will hold a grand-opening celebration. The four-day celebration starts Nov. 4, with Mayor Phil Gordon giving his annual "State of Downtown" speech.

Free parking is available at CityScape Friday and Saturday until 4 p.m., and all day Sunday; otherwise, standard parking rates will apply.

Retailers expected to open Nov. 4 include Urban Outfitters, the Republic of Couture, Charming Charlies, Rasputin Vodka Bar and Vitamin T. Jimmy Johns may open in November, but a date has not been announced.

For more about the grand opening, e-mail cityscape@reddevelopment.com.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/2010/10/15/20101015phx-cityscape1016asf.html#ixzz12XsLJ2Ny

I know this has already been known for a while but I am really looking forward to LGO Public House. It seems to go against most other LGO projects but hopefully it can bring that Vig/Postino/LGO type of late night establishment to downtown.

gymratmanaz
Oct 16, 2010, 6:12 PM
Bob says he almost has his GC for the project to get started very soon.

HX_Guy
Oct 16, 2010, 6:20 PM
It looked like it was ready to go up when I was there last week. They wouldn't still be paying rent on the crane if they didn't plan to bulid soon.

They are using that crane for other construction aside from the hotel, I saw them lifting some glass inside the east side of the building last week.

Vicelord John
Oct 16, 2010, 6:48 PM
They are using that crane for other construction aside from the hotel, I saw them lifting some glass inside the east side of the building last week.

they could also use a smaller crane and save a lot of money.

HX_Guy
Oct 16, 2010, 7:06 PM
From the AZCentral article...

http://www.azcentral.com/i/1/9/D/PHP4CB8B15BCAD91.jpg

HX_Guy
Oct 16, 2010, 7:38 PM
Fuck! My head hurts from reading the comments on AZ Central. Seriously, do normal everyday Phoenicians think like these people? So much negativity it's amazing.

Vicelord John
Oct 16, 2010, 7:42 PM
Fuck! My head hurts from reading the comments on AZ Central. Seriously, do normal everyday Phoenicians think like these people? So much negativity it's amazing.

my rational comments are getting thumbs down like a mad man.

gymratmanaz
Oct 16, 2010, 8:18 PM
have to come here for a clear head

bwonger06
Oct 16, 2010, 8:49 PM
Bob says he almost has his GC for the project to get started very soon.

Do you know the general layout of the place? From channel 11 (the PHX channel), it seems like they are going to have big garage doors that opens up to the outside. It could be a very big plus if the place is located on the ground floor and opens up to 1st street.

gymratmanaz
Oct 17, 2010, 12:41 AM
Bob said he is planning on patio space too. i live at LGO, so looking forward to this. Bob doesn't do anything half-assed. Quality and well researched!

dtnphx
Oct 17, 2010, 3:01 AM
Drove around Cityscape tonight. Looks so much better at night. The Patriot's Park area (OK, stop laughing) actually looked inviting. The purple and pink lights illuminating the fountains looked really good. Plus, the sculpture at First and Washington has those same lights hitting it and makes for a much more interesting view.

gymratmanaz
Oct 17, 2010, 3:40 AM
I agree. The lighting works well. Dancing waters add color, movement, and nice sounds. The sculpture is pretty cool day or night. The blue lighting makes it sleek looking at night.

I am wondering what will go in under the new canopy on the mesa. it was originally going to be a water feature or at least able to be one with a sunken pit that was water tight. They have removed all the gravel to reveal the pink styro that hel the water pits place. Will they now just fill it with cement to make a covered bench and table area....... or what?????

Tempe_Duck
Oct 17, 2010, 4:26 AM
I agree. The lighting works well. Dancing waters add color, movement, and nice sounds. The sculpture is pretty cool day or night. The blue lighting makes it sleek looking at night.

I am wondering what will go in under the new canopy on the mesa. it was originally going to be a water feature or at least able to be one with a sunken pit that was water tight. They have removed all the gravel to reveal the pink styro that hel the water pits place. Will they now just fill it with cement to make a covered bench and table area....... or what?????

I thought I heard on here that the water feature was going to have the ability to be a ice rink during the winter. Is this still planned or am I just crazy.

Vicelord John
Oct 17, 2010, 4:33 AM
They told me they were considering it. I think they were blowing smoke. Even if it were possible, its too small an area.

bwonger06
Oct 17, 2010, 7:17 AM
Just got home from Mill on the LR and things seemed very alive downtown. Lines were very long at PHX and the places next door. However, things at Cityscape look very bleak. All of 1st ave and most of Jefferson is one big wall of nothingness.

Was there a special event or is Downtown usually this packed on a weekend? (it was really really packed)

gymratmanaz
Oct 17, 2010, 12:58 PM
it is normally that way. I wonder how Lucky Strike was? When I have gone, it is pretty busy too on a Saturday night.

HX_Guy
Oct 17, 2010, 4:45 PM
I went by Cityscape yesterday during the day around 2pm, my wife wanted to look at some dresses at Designer District and West of SoHo. Both very nice places but they were both completely dead, both of the girls working at each store complained about what a ghost town it is on the weekend. The girl at West of SoHo said that during the week it's actually pretty busy with office workers coming in and out, but on the weekend they barely have anyone stop in. My wife did end up buying a couple things from West of SoHo.

Vicelord John
Oct 17, 2010, 5:24 PM
yeah I don't think those stores are going to last very long. Who knows, maybe when everything is open they will get busier, but I just can't imagine them getting enough sales to stay open.

HX_Guy
Oct 17, 2010, 5:50 PM
I hope they are getting very very good lease rates to help them stay open, but even then, I don't know if the clientele is there to keep them open, especially a place like Designer District that sells $350 dresses and $200 jeans. Sure it may help when additional stores open, but even then, will people drive downtown to visit these stores? Destination places like Lucky Strike, Stand Up Live and some of the restaurants are great, but those are mostly nightlife type places I think, I don know if they will help the retail much during weekend days.

Phxguy
Oct 17, 2010, 7:50 PM
yeah I don't think those stores are going to last very long. Who knows, maybe when everything is open they will get busier, but I just can't imagine them getting enough sales to stay open.

It's going to get busier. I can foresee how this area of retail will get a lot of attention. Bordering sports arenas, down the street from condos and apartments (44 Monroe is selling again), right in the middle of the finnancial district with thousands of workers in the vicinity (most of which have never seen retail like this in the area), and next to the lightrail. Even when I vistied in August, people were still standing up on the train, and that was coming from Central and Mcdowell to 1st Ave and Jefferson at 5 pm. I counted about25 stores in the entire project and only 8 are open now.

gymratmanaz
Oct 17, 2010, 8:04 PM
That article today in the Republic about shifting money to Hotel Palomar seemed encouraging. Hope it happens.

Vicelord John
Oct 17, 2010, 8:26 PM
It's going to get busier. I can foresee how this area of retail will get a lot of attention. Bordering sports arenas, down the street from condos and apartments (44 Monroe is selling again), right in the middle of the finnancial district with thousands of workers in the vicinity (most of which have never seen retail like this in the area), and next to the lightrail. Even when I vistied in August, people were still standing up on the train, and that was coming from Central and Mcdowell to 1st Ave and Jefferson at 5 pm. I counted about25 stores in the entire project and only 8 are open now.

Event goers do not = shoppers

Condos full of empty apartments you mean

Thousands of workers... Working not shopping

Next to train is sbout all i can give you there.

HX_Guy
Oct 17, 2010, 8:57 PM
That article today in the Republic about shifting money to Hotel Palomar seemed encouraging. Hope it happens.

What article? In the paper or online?

Edit: Is this the article you're talking about? http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/10/17/20101017arizona-stimulus-money.html

The federal criteria for the projects are the same. Projects must be shovel-ready to be entered in the Commerce Department lottery.

Big projects already under construction, such as Phoenix's CityScape hotel, are eligible. So Phoenix is bidding high. It submitted its application for $57 million to help pay for RED Development's 250-room Hotel Palomar.

The hotel is already under construction at CityScape, a $900 million office, retail and hotel development that spans two blocks in downtown Phoenix.

Looks like the lottery is Monday at 1pm, I'm very curious to see who it goes to. It sounds like the hotel portion is almost teetering on this.

Also an observations, I like how in all the reports the project has been correctly updated to "two city blocks" but they still call it a $900 Million project. Wasn't that the tab when it was to include the 3rd block as well...plus the apartments over Patriot's Square?

bwonger06
Oct 17, 2010, 9:01 PM
What article? In the paper or online?

Probably this one

The federal criteria for the projects are the same. Projects must be shovel-ready to be entered in the Commerce Department lottery.

Big projects already under construction, such as Phoenix's CityScape hotel, are eligible. So Phoenix is bidding high. It submitted its application for $57 million to help pay for RED Development's 250-room Hotel Palomar.

The hotel is already under construction at CityScape, a $900 million office, retail and hotel development that spans two blocks in downtown Phoenix.

Phoenix is also competing for $30 million to complete construction of the Dunn-Edwards paint plant.

Maricopa County is trying to help with construction of the plant.

For the lottery, it applied for nearly $22 million in facility bonds for Dunn-Edwards.

Maricopa County officials said they also submitted an application for $6 million in facility bonds for Paloma Dairy, a dairy-farm operation in Gila Bend.

The lottery will be Monday at 1 p.m. at the Department of Commerce, 1700 W. Washington St., in the sixth-floor conference Room 6A.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/election/azelections/articles/2010/10/17/20101017arizona-stimulus-money.html#ixzz12eUgPiWT

Phxguy
Oct 17, 2010, 9:17 PM
Event goers do not = shoppers

Condos full of empty apartments you mean

Thousands of workers... Working not shopping

Next to train is sbout all i can give you there.

Well Summit at Copper Square is doing good, as well as Alta Phoenix lofts, 44 Monroe is reselling, and more people are mving downtown. Besides there's the ASU campus there with more than 1,000 full time students living there.
Hxguy posted earlier, that office workers stopped by on weekdays making up for a pretty busy day. Well the event goers I can't do a full label on them, but I do know some of them do go into downtown to enjoy the nightlife.

Vicelord John
Oct 17, 2010, 10:35 PM
ASU students can't afford to shop at either, and workers stopping by to see the new store in the neighborhood does not necessarily mean customers. I'm not trying to be debbie downer here, just realistic.

Phxguy
Oct 17, 2010, 10:54 PM
ASU students can't afford to shop at either, and workers stopping by to see the new store in the neighborhood does not necessarily mean customers. I'm not trying to be debbie downer here, just realistic. Well I know your not a debbi donwer. But I think they could afford some things from CVS and maybe a resturant or two. But definetly not a $200 pair of jeans.
After reading all those hateful comments from those left-wing, suburban loving fuckers, I've been defending this place like crazy. If I had an account on Azcentral, my fingers would go numb from typing so much to defend this city.

Vicelord John
Oct 17, 2010, 11:01 PM
Well I know your not a debbi donwer. But I think they could afford some things from CVS and maybe a resturant or two. But definetly not a $200 pair of jeans.
After reading all those hateful comments from those left-wing, suburban loving fuckers, I've been defending this place like crazy. If I had an account on Azcentral, my fingers would go numb from typing so much to defend this city.

I'm assuming you read all of my comments there as well then. I'm the homeless gang member. I just don't think there are enough tourists/full time residents to support high fashion boutiques.

gymratmanaz
Oct 17, 2010, 11:04 PM
I was there this afternoon. Fairly busy traffic at Cityscape. Fun seeing poeple all around the area, in and around the shops.

Tempe_Duck
Oct 17, 2010, 11:04 PM
I am looking at going to CityScape tonight for dinner but I have no idea what is open yet. I checked the cityscape website and I can't find anything about restaurants. Does anybody know what is open currently?

Vicelord John
Oct 17, 2010, 11:07 PM
I am looking at going to CityScape tonight for dinner but I have no idea what is open yet. I checked the cityscape website and I can't find anything about restaurants. Does anybody know what is open currently?

Lucky Strike and Five Guys. Five Guys blows... no homo, but Lucky Strike has pretty damn good food.

Phxguy
Oct 17, 2010, 11:10 PM

Five Guys, is the only restruant open so far. Check a few posts earlier to see the schedule of the resturants still yet to come next month and later.

Edit:Ok nevermind, this has already been taken care of

gymratmanaz
Oct 17, 2010, 11:40 PM
Lucky Strike is great food. Homo or not.

5 Guys. I liked it a lot, been 3 times since it has been open.....same with LS.

Tempe_Duck
Oct 17, 2010, 11:55 PM
Thanks. Maybe I will wait then. If I do go, I give my opinions on the place.

Vicelord John
Oct 18, 2010, 12:10 AM
Lucky Strike is great food. Homo or not.

5 Guys. I liked it a lot, been 3 times since it has been open.....same with LS.

I worded it wrong. I meant "no homo, but five guys blows."

I go to lucky strike about 3 times a week, and I love it.

bwonger06
Oct 18, 2010, 12:12 AM
ASU students can definitely afford expensive clothing. You will see girls plastered in designer studded jeans and Uggs all the time, at least at the Tempe campus.

Plus Urban Outfitters is going to get a lot of business from college kids and downtown hipsters. And I expect UO to be open late so there should be a constant stream of foot traffic.

gymratmanaz
Oct 18, 2010, 12:33 AM
I knew what you meant John. All's good!!!!!! :)

Looking forward to the next wave of openings. Some more food and drink!!!!!