PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix CityScape Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78

Leo the Dog
May 21, 2009, 3:38 PM
[QUOTE=gymratmanaz;4261066]never thought of a staircase....only reason I was saying crane #3 is that they said they wouod be putting a third crane in that corner should they actually do tower #2.

Perhaps they were referring to the SE corner of tower#2 and not SE corner of the block? :shrug:

plinko
May 21, 2009, 4:54 PM
Again, see what I said earlier. Maybe Plinko can chime in on it...

I don't get why a tower crane would go on the SE corner of the lot when the tower portion of the hotel is supposed to go up on the SW corner. Cranes need to be anchored to the tower as it rises...so why would the crane be so far away?

Honestly I have no idea. There may be horizontal and vertical clearance issues or they may be planning on using two cranes to build Tower 2 + the hotel?

My thought is that if the hotel portion is like 12-15 stories (sounds right from what I recall), then the crane can be anchored to that. The last iteration of Tower 2 was only like 280' right?

Who knows...

gymratmanaz
May 21, 2009, 5:58 PM
Good point!

HX_Guy
May 21, 2009, 8:37 PM
From Flickr:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3580/3550325687_751bdcae93_b.jpg

gymratmanaz
May 21, 2009, 10:35 PM
Really cool look to that pic!

combusean
May 21, 2009, 10:44 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if they just moved the existing office crane.

They're 20+ floors up and they will finish it before the garage approaches grade.

gymratmanaz
May 21, 2009, 11:59 PM
But they have to anchor a new crane, if they are using one, to the lower levels of the garage. They can't just add one to the ground level surface, once the garage is completed.

plinko
May 22, 2009, 12:49 AM
^You worry too much. Methinks some of these guys have built stuff like this before...

gymratmanaz
May 22, 2009, 1:21 AM
not worry.....hope! .......... plus a little excitement andenthusiasm.

combusean
May 22, 2009, 1:55 AM
I think what's curious about the site is how everything is delineated all the way down to the lowest level. There's a specific area the mini tower crane is working on, the part the office crane is working on... maybe sooner or later the part the garage crane is working on will make itself more apparent and we'll quickly know where #3 is going after that.

gymratmanaz
May 22, 2009, 2:52 AM
time will tell

gymratmanaz
May 24, 2009, 2:14 AM
stopped by today.

WOW...

More rebar
More cement
Second garage level ready for cement
wall scafolding almost all up
second level for elevator ready to pour
PSP looks like either the moon or Terminator movie set
Cityscape glass looks so clear and shiny(Thanks to the rain)
11 stories of glass
23 stories...

HooverDam
May 24, 2009, 2:48 AM
^Whats the total number of floors on the office tower going to be? Or what do we think anyhow. I cant keep track with all of the news back on forth on reductions and such.

Also, watching the D'backs game tonight, when the team is on the road, they do a live post game show from Tempe Marketplace. Id love it if when CityScape is finished if they pursued the D'backs/FSN doing that there in their park/retail space. It would be fun for tourists who are downtown, create more foot traffic, and showing safe, clean, well lit downtown retail to thousands of people on TV surely can't hurt.

EDIT: VVV And the crown/parapet is going to be about 2 stories, right? Giving it a perceived height of about 30 stories?

HX_Guy
May 24, 2009, 3:29 AM
The office tower is 27 actual floors, though they are saying 28 since there will be no floor #13. Thats what I last heard anyway.

Tranquility
May 24, 2009, 3:59 AM
how tall is it going to be?

NIXPHX77
May 24, 2009, 4:35 AM
just curious...
do you think the Cityscape crane is the 2nd tallest built structure in the state now, temporarily? seems like it's taller than the 101 North Bldg.

Sonoran_Dweller
May 24, 2009, 5:32 AM
I personally don't know the height of the crane, but I do know that it can't be considered the second highest structure in the state. There are smelters in various parts of the state that are twice as tall as our buildings...sad but true. The Hayden Smelter is 1000 feet tall:
http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=4712
http://www.old-yankee.com/Asarco/Low/HaydenAZ05.jpg

Jsmscaleros
May 27, 2009, 3:52 PM
^^^^^ That's insane - I had no idea those chimneys were that tall. Does anyone know why this is? 305 meters seems a bit excessive.

Don B.
May 27, 2009, 4:37 PM
Recent shot of Cityscape going up by me on May 22:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/don85259/New%20Phoenix%20projects/IMG_2938copy.jpg

--don

gymratmanaz
May 30, 2009, 6:19 AM
I leave for 4 days......no major updates???? LOL

Will get on it this weekend....for those that like em.

Vicelord John
May 30, 2009, 6:27 AM
i got a MAJOR update.

They are still building.

HX_Guy
May 30, 2009, 6:29 AM
Heh, I was gone since Tuesday as well and am wondering about new updates this weekend.

gymratmanaz
May 30, 2009, 1:06 PM
heading down today or tomorrow

PhxPavilion
May 31, 2009, 10:44 AM
They are on floor 23, 4 more to go.

There's your update.

AZ KID
May 31, 2009, 6:01 PM
Amazing HDR photo by rejuvesite on flicker...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3617/3582258824_61369456b1.jpg?v=0

Vicelord John
May 31, 2009, 6:07 PM
that picture looks like someone took it with a cell phone camera, what a piece of crap.

haha

I really didn't think this building was going to have an impact from my balcony but yeah I can definitely see it quite well.

gymratmanaz
May 31, 2009, 6:49 PM
HX and I were just down at Cityscape..... Some cool news and a story to tell. I'll let him tell it, since he has the pictures. Quite the adventure for us.......

Luke Skyscraper
May 31, 2009, 6:56 PM
HX and I were just down at Cityscape..... Some cool news and a story to tell. I'll let him tell it, since he has the pictures. Quite the adventure for us.......

Come on HX, cough up the goods! :whip: I hope it is "good" news

HX_Guy
May 31, 2009, 8:51 PM
It is good news...potentially. The third tower crane base has been installed, which is great, but I say potentially because I think it's pretty standard procedure for any construction site that plans a tower to be built eventually. We won't really know until the parking garage reached grade and then we'll see if they continue to build the tower crane or just simply cap it off for future use.

The adventure was how I got the photo from the angle that I did, which was in Patriot's Park. A little bit of getting chased by security...a torn t-shirt. :)

Anyway, here's the photos...you can see the 3rd tower crane base in the far corner...

http://nitnelav.com/DTMay312009/9.jpg

http://nitnelav.com/DTMay312009/1.jpg

http://nitnelav.com/DTMay312009/2.jpg

http://nitnelav.com/DTMay312009/3.jpg

http://nitnelav.com/DTMay312009/4.jpg

http://nitnelav.com/DTMay312009/5.jpg

http://nitnelav.com/DTMay312009/7.jpg

http://nitnelav.com/DTMay312009/8.jpg

NIXPHX77
May 31, 2009, 9:10 PM
excellent guys! like a rock star!

gymratmanaz
May 31, 2009, 9:38 PM
The security guards spotted us inside PSP while HX was taking the picture and started to yell "Security". They were coming for us. We ran out of there. HX got his T-shirt torn as we slipped through the fence. We hightailed it west, and lost ourselves through a parking structure.

The crane is good news, but we still can't figure out why it would be located so far east, if the second tower is on the SW corner of the block. How will the third crane reach it....
.....though I was thinking, does the crane have to reach the far side of the tower. Looking at drawings, the 3rd tower crane would reach as far as the tower #2 elevator shaft but not the far west of the tower. The crane will have to be able to weather vane 360 degrees. This length would allow it to reach tower #2 from the east side to the center of tower #2, but not the west portion of the tower. I think this will be OK. The crane mainly would only have to reach the tower, in order to supply equipment and supplies.... Or would it have to reach all the way to bring floor molds?

PHX31
May 31, 2009, 9:49 PM
Great pictures... thanks for the update!

Leo the Dog
May 31, 2009, 10:17 PM
You guys risked your freedom for some great shots of CS, Thanks!

Vicelord John
May 31, 2009, 11:15 PM
they risked their freedoms?

yeah, cause I'm sure the rent-a-cop would have locked them up for years.

thanks guys for the pictures, but I'd hardly call that risking freedoms.

phoenixboi08
May 31, 2009, 11:23 PM
It is good news...potentially. The third tower crane base has been installed, which is great, but I say potentially because I think it's pretty standard procedure for any construction site that plans a tower to be built eventually. We won't really know until the parking garage reached grade and then we'll see if they continue to build the tower crane or just simply cap it off for future use.

The adventure was how I got the photo from the angle that I did, which was in Patriot's Park. A little bit of getting chased by security...a torn t-shirt. :)

MY HERO! :D

Leo the Dog
Jun 1, 2009, 12:26 AM
they risked their freedoms?

yeah, cause I'm sure the rent-a-cop would have locked them up for years.

thanks guys for the pictures, but I'd hardly call that risking freedoms.

You didn't pick up on the sarcasm? :shrug:

Vicelord John
Jun 1, 2009, 5:47 AM
You didn't pick up on the sarcasm? :shrug:
of all people I should have...

scottkag
Jun 1, 2009, 3:58 PM
We should take up a collection to pay for a replacement T-shirt for HX...

HX_Guy
Jun 1, 2009, 6:48 PM
Some notes have been put up relating to the "CITYSCAPE MESA" permit from 04/24/09. I'm still trying to figure out what this "Mesa" is...is it the whole rest of the block (hotel tower capped off at grade) or is it just the space in between the current office tower and future hotel tower?

The permit says:

DESCRIPTION OF WORK: SITE IMPROVEMENTS INCLUDING MESA STRUCTURAL , LANDSCAPING, GRADING, IRRIGATION, HARDSCAPE, MESA CANOPIES, PLUMBIND AND ELECTRICAL. ALSO INCLUDES PERIMETER ROW LANDSCAPING & HARDSCAPE. ASSOCIATED STRUCTURAL AND MECH/ELEC IN THE P1 LEVEL OF THE GARAGE.

The notes are:

GENERAL COMMENTS

The following plan reviews/permits shall be complete prior to final site plan approval for block 22:
ABND 070120 - council approval for abandonment of right of way adjacent to block 22.
CCPR 0703849 - G&D plans for block 22.
DEDI 090002 - dedications on Block 22
PLAT 090019 - To be approved by Council concurrently with ABND 070120

SITE COMMENTS

Sheet L572.1

1. Provide decorative type bollards when visible from the right of way or outside service areas. Revise details or provide photo of what bollards will look like.
2. Provide details as part of architectural details and include them as part of final site plan approval. This includes details for trash enclosures, walls, planter walls, fences, gates, bollards, water falll, light poles.

A-021 and other related site plan sheets

1. Include planter on west staircase as shown on the preliminary approved plan. Otherwise, demonstrate that 50 percent of the mesa is shaded and that trees along Central are spaced 20' on center without the planter.

Sheet A213

1. Detail E1 - Add note exhaust hood shall be painted to match building. Add a metal cage around exhaust hood and paint to match building which will allow the hood to function and screen it from view.

2. Material legens show "sandblast CIP concrete" which is not on the preliminary approved material palette. Call out material to match what is already approved, or provide a photo of the material to show how it compliments what is already approved.

Luke Skyscraper
Jun 1, 2009, 7:43 PM
HX,
Could "MESA" be an acronym for something in construction lingo? Could it be in the retail area of the project? Putting a fence around an exhaust vent and painting it implies pedestrians will be in close proximity.
Or it could be they are capping the garage, which would be the worst possible outcome. :hell: Another Colliers Center.

HX_Guy
Jun 1, 2009, 7:54 PM
Got my answer!

I wrote to the guy who wrote the above notes and received an email back...

"The mesa is a private courtyard that exists between the two towers. It will include hardscape, landscape planters, fountains, stairs, ramps, and access to either building on the site. "

combusean
Jun 1, 2009, 8:06 PM
Sweet! Thanks HX!

Luke Skyscraper
Jun 1, 2009, 8:08 PM
Got my answer!

I wrote to the guy who wrote the above notes and received an email back...

"The mesa is a private courtyard that exists between the two towers. It will include hardscape, landscape planters, fountains, stairs, ramps, and access to either building on the site. "

Great Job, HX! :worship: I sure hope that means that the second tower is indeed going up. Any chance he has any insight to the second tower (confirm they are starting it, height, office or condo, will the hotel still be at the base of the tower.........so many questions, so few answers!

Smalisz
Jun 1, 2009, 11:45 PM
http://nitnelav.com/DTMay312009/5.jpg

What is that red thing on top of the core?

PHX31
Jun 1, 2009, 11:48 PM
/\ Concrete pumping boom arm

HX_Guy
Jun 2, 2009, 5:35 PM
Things that make you go HMMM...

]Permit# F122-T58913 Issue Date Expires 6/2/11
Permit Description F/A INSTALL
Project 06-5309 CITYSCAPE
Description/Scope of Work: FIRE ALARM INSTALLATION

FPPR #:090657

DESCRIPTION OF WORK: F/A INSTALL 115,000 SQ. FT. WITH 34 ADDITIONAL FLOORS WITH VOICE EVACUATION SYSTEM. 5 PARKING GARAGE FLOORS AND 30 BUSINESS FLOORS.

AZ KID
Jun 2, 2009, 8:10 PM
so we are looking at a 30 story tower?

plinko
Jun 2, 2009, 8:27 PM
Before you guys go and get all excited, remember that they have to install alarms on the mechanical floors and the roof level. I'd bet money that the 30 floors includes those levels. This tower is still 27 floors.

BTW, for one of you guys who seems to be down there all the time (gymrat), why don't you stop by the construction trailer and ask what's going on? You'd be suprised how much info you can get. And a CM will know alot more than say...a security guard. That's how I got all the information on Colliers Center in 2000 (among others).

gymratmanaz
Jun 3, 2009, 1:57 AM
good advice. Will try....assuming the security guard doesn't remember that it was HX and I that werre not where we should have been..... I'll try to get to the trailer.

Checked the web site, nothing new since April.

I think we are all jonesing for some new info or announcement.

Vicelord John
Jun 3, 2009, 2:38 AM
What the hell is he gonna do anyway? If he tries anything, kick his ass and then pee on him.

exit2lef
Jun 3, 2009, 4:32 AM
What the hell is he gonna do anyway? If he tries anything, kick his ass and then pee on him.

... or bring a box of poop and smear it on the floor at the first sign of trouble. That seems to be the thing to do these days.

Vicelord John
Jun 3, 2009, 4:41 AM
uh... What are you talking about?

exit2lef
Jun 3, 2009, 4:42 AM
uh... What are you talking about?

http://news.google.com/news?pz=1&ned=us&hl=en&q=feces+light+rail+phoenix

Buckeye Native 001
Jun 3, 2009, 6:27 AM
... or bring a box of poop and smear it on the floor at the first sign of trouble. That seems to be the thing to do these days.

:haha:

gymratmanaz
Jun 3, 2009, 12:23 PM
urine and feces - The forum has hit a new low.

HX_Guy
Jun 3, 2009, 5:06 PM
A small blurb about Cityscape that is very recent. Says the office tower is 28 stories, which makes sense, as we've heard 27 stories but they are skipping #13 so the elevator buttons will show 28. :P It does also still mentioned 2 towers.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/us-commercial-developments-prepared-for-economic-turnaround,846030.shtml

CITYSCAPE – PHOENIX, ARIZONA

Part of a major redevelopment renaissance in downtown Phoenix, CityScape will be the first truly integrated urban destination for the Phoenix community blending residential, office and entertainment in the popular Copper Square district. Two high-rise towers include a mix of retail and restaurants, high-end residential and office space creating a new hub of activity. Developed by RED Development, the 2.5 million square foot project includes a redesigned city park to increase open public space. The 28-story office tower has reached floor 22 and is more than 50 percent pre-leased. Cityscape is scheduled for completion in 2011.

TAZ4ate0
Jun 3, 2009, 5:12 PM
http://news.google.com/news?pz=1&ned=us&hl=en&q=feces+light+rail+phoenix

LOL. What the hell is wrong with people anymore?

Leo the Dog
Jun 3, 2009, 6:52 PM
Part of a major redevelopment renaissance in downtown Phoenix, CityScape will be the first truly integrated urban destination for the Phoenix community blending residential, office and entertainment in the popular Copper Square district. Two high-rise towers include a mix of retail and restaurants, high-end residential and office space creating a new hub of activity. Developed by RED Development, the 2.5 million square foot project includes a redesigned city park to increase open public space. The 28-story office tower has reached floor 22 and is more than 50 percent pre-leased. Cityscape is scheduled for completion in 2011. [/b]

Too bad the area is being referred to as Copper Square.

Tranquility
Jun 3, 2009, 10:44 PM
Too bad the area is being referred to as Copper Square.
why? it doesn't seem like a bad name.

PHX31
Jun 3, 2009, 11:32 PM
/\ it's the old branding attempt gone wrong. Now, it's just "Downtown PhoeniX".

PHX
Jun 4, 2009, 1:25 AM
I spoke with a rep from RED Development with regard to leasing some of the retail space in the center. He indicated that the 2nd tower will be built as he said there will be some construction that we would have to deal with if we were to lease the space. I will try to get some addition information, ie height and exact start time but he did say they will start to build the "hotel tower" once the parking sturucture is at street level.

gymratmanaz
Jun 4, 2009, 2:49 AM
Cudos PHX. News that is music to our ears!!!

Can you ask him how the crane situation will work? With the new crane being put in on the far east side, how will it reach the tower, which will be on the opposite west side of the site?

Any other info would be awesome....

Don B.
Jun 4, 2009, 3:01 AM
^ It's kudos.

I would not ask the guy about the crane placement. Aside from the fact that he isn't likely going to know that kind of obscure arcane detail, it really isn't that important in the greater scheme of things. More important/relevant information would be the precise height of the second tower, both in terms of floors and height, if he happens to know that sort of information (which he may not).

Crane placement = no one really gives a shit.

Building height = more relevant generally. Still not really important in the larger world but it's of more interest to people on this forum.

--don

plinko
Jun 4, 2009, 3:10 AM
Based on what I've seen on the construction photos and given the market...

my personal opinion is that the 11 story (ish) hotel tower for the Palomar that we've been hearing about for quite some time will be built along with the base of the larger Tower 2 for retail. Tower 2 will be planned, but not built until some later date.

Just my opinion, I know nothing of this project beyond the news here...

You guys trying to get information should try and also get an exact height for Tower 1 (is it still 368ft?)

PHX
Jun 4, 2009, 3:14 AM
He is sending me a package of information and if we move forward we will meet with them in person at their office. I will continue to try to extract as much info as possible during the process.

gymratmanaz
Jun 4, 2009, 4:19 AM
Good man!

PHX31
Jun 4, 2009, 5:27 AM
Crane placement = no one really gives a shit.

Building height = more relevant generally. Still not really important in the larger world but it's of more interest to people on this forum.

--don

You're being a prick, but LOL.

HX_Guy
Jun 4, 2009, 5:38 AM
Nice PHX. What are you thinking about possibly opening in the retail space?

I like that we keep hearing about the hotel portion and that it's being mentioned to people who are potential tenants. That makes it pretty solid because if I were thinking about opening say a restaurant in the retail space, having a hotel on the site vs not would be a huge deciding factor because it would mean constant traffic.

gymratmanaz
Jun 4, 2009, 1:06 PM
Oh DON B..... unclench and breath my fiend.... Sometimes questions are out there for curiosity's sake and not your personal entertainment. The crane placement might even have something to do with the height question you desire an answer to.

The tower is on the west side and the third crane is on the east. How will that work? How will it reach? Does anyone here know construction techniques to know? So far, all the cranes I have seen have been attached directly to the tower they are building along a side of the tower..... Just curious. :)

Vicelord John
Jun 4, 2009, 5:02 PM
Cudos PHX.

Can I have a definition on this word? anyone?

and PHX, I really hope you aren't just wasting the guys time and you are actually interested in leasing.

PHX
Jun 4, 2009, 7:07 PM
We are truly looking at other space downtown as are lease is coming up and we are exploring options. Cityscape and other spots. On a side note I am glad you are looking out for the leasing specialist time. I wouldn't want to piss you off by wasting their time.

gymratmanaz
Jun 4, 2009, 7:12 PM
Cudos - See Kudos :)

Vicelord John
Jun 4, 2009, 7:40 PM
We are truly looking at other space downtown as are lease is coming up and we are exploring options. Cityscape and other spots. On a side note I am glad you are looking out for the leasing specialist time. I wouldn't want to piss you off by wasting their time.

wouldn't piss me off, just having worked in the real estate market, and in a bad economy I know how bad it would be to have someone jerk you around right now.

plinko
Jun 4, 2009, 9:40 PM
Oh DON B..... unclench and breath my fiend.... Sometimes questions are out there for curiosity's sake and not your personal entertainment. The crane placement might even have something to do with the height question you desire an answer to.

The tower is on the west side and the third crane is on the east. How will that work? How will it reach? Does anyone here know construction techniques to know? So far, all the cranes I have seen have been attached directly to the tower they are building along a side of the tower..... Just curious. :)

I'm not sure why you are so worried about it, but my guess is that the east tower crane that you see them building the base for is for the hotel portion only. They could easily set a crane in one of the elevator shafts of Tower 2 as it rises. That being said, they build the core of Tower 2 up to street level while building the parking structure and leave a 'stump' until they build the tower at some later date (a la Colliers). Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

HX_Guy
Jun 4, 2009, 9:48 PM
I'm not sure why you are so worried about it, but my guess is that the east tower crane that you see them building the base for is for the hotel portion only. They could easily set a crane in one of the elevator shafts of Tower 2 as it rises. That being said, they build the core of Tower 2 up to street level while building the parking structure and leave a 'stump' until they build the tower at some later date (a la Colliers). Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

I think he's worried about it out of fear that the renderings we've seen do not add up to where the cranes are being positioned.

The hotel portion of the tower is supposed to be on the west end of the lot...well actually, it's supposed to span from west to east. The current elevator core that is being built is to be the elevator for the hotel as well as the future tower above as I understand it.

In referencing the rendering below, the east tower crane is approx. at the SE corner of the 2 story "Jonathan's Steakhouse" building...which frankly doesn't really make sense.

http://www.thedavisexperience.com/images/spotlight/cityScape/1.jpg

PHX31
Jun 4, 2009, 9:58 PM
/\ It's pretty much certain that the rendering above, in regards to height and overall scope, is "wrong", correct? This tower two won't be taller than Tower 1. Or is it still in the dark.

HX_Guy
Jun 4, 2009, 10:02 PM
That is correct, last I saw, the 2nd tower is to be only 298'.

I am assuming that the overall shape will be the same, with the tower portion on the west side as to be on opposing sides with the office tower currently being built.

Leo the Dog
Jun 4, 2009, 10:25 PM
This may be a stupid question, but maybe one of you could answer it.

Why hasn't another developer propose a new tower in the Collier Center? Wouldn't it be a great site considering the foundation work/elevator core is already complete?? Is it b/c Colliers isn't entertaining any proposals and they're just holding onto the real estate for possible sale at a future date?

gymratmanaz
Jun 4, 2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks HX.....

One would think that building on the Collier Center with all the parking, elevator shaft and all,would be a no brainer.

plinko
Jun 4, 2009, 10:55 PM
Actually if the building cores are still in the same place as the rendering that HX posted above (regardless of height), then it seems totally feasible that the Palomar could be built with a crane in the SE corner (where the steak house is). The Palomar doesn't extend the whole length of the block, so the boom should be able to reach. I'd also like to throw out that the Palomar may have been pushed further east over the top of the 'steak house' to allow for easier future construction of Tower 2.

You guys pay a whole lot more attention to these things than I do though. The tallest buildings I've designed were 4 and 5 floors so they got built with mobile cranes.

Just offering up my opinion based on what I see...for what it's worth.

CANUC
Jun 4, 2009, 11:36 PM
This may be a stupid question, but maybe one of you could answer it.

Why hasn't another developer propose a new tower in the Collier Center? Wouldn't it be a great site considering the foundation work/elevator core is already complete?? Is it b/c Colliers isn't entertaining any proposals and they're just holding onto the real estate for possible sale at a future date?

That very question has nagged me for years. Even when the condo boom took off and there were hundreds of proposals for new high rises nothing came from Colliers. When Donald Trump was trying to get his project off the ground on 26th street and Camelback the Colliers group claimed they had something in the works but then nothing. When the talk of lacking hotel space and the Sheraton was proposed, nothing from Colliers. When the talk was of low office vacancy rates and OCPE took off nothing from Colliers. Its almost like they lost interest in their own development.

Urban Rising
Jun 5, 2009, 12:29 AM
For all the people interested in the cranes on site I recommend watching the site this weekend. Especially on Sunday.

The next tower will be shorter than the 1st tower. Look for something in the 20-22 floors range. It is still being decided.

HooverDam
Jun 5, 2009, 12:55 AM
For all the people interested in the cranes on site I recommend watching the site this weekend. Especially on Sunday.

The next tower will be shorter than the 1st tower. Look for something in the 20-22 floors range. It is still being decided.

Well thats somewhat good news then. Since a lot of us were thinking/fearing it would just be the horizontal hotel portion. If its 20-22 stories, I assume that means 10-12 stories of hotel and 10 stories of condos. Does that sound about right?

Urban Rising
Jun 5, 2009, 12:57 AM
I personally expect office on top of hotel. It is still be decided. But I would wager quite a bit of money on office.

gymratmanaz
Jun 5, 2009, 1:24 AM
That blurb posted by HX included residential in the paragraph.
Time will tell.

URBAN RISING...are you saying there will be some sort of announcement this Sunday?...or will you find out some info and post it here on Sunday?

HX_Guy
Jun 5, 2009, 5:11 AM
Time will tell.

URBAN RISING...are you saying there will be some sort of announcement this Sunday?...or will you find out some info and post it here on Sunday?

It sounds like he is saying the 3rd tower crane may go up on Sunday. That's what I take from what he said. I'll be there to check it out. :)

As for what gets built and how high...at this point, as long as we don't end up with a capped off parking garage, just about anything is good.
From everything we're seeing on the net and comments on here (including Urban Rising), it sounds like the hotel is a definite go and at this point, in this market, that is a win. It would always turn out like Colliers, so just about anything better then that is good.

Leo the Dog
Jun 5, 2009, 4:59 PM
From everything we're seeing on the net and comments on here (including Urban Rising), it sounds like the hotel is a definite go and at this point, in this market, that is a win. It would always turn out like Colliers, so just about anything better then that is good.

I definitely think demand for another DT hotel is strong, especially when 2/3 are relics from the 1970's. It would put more pressure on the Hyatt to maybe update its outdated facilities.

HX_Guy
Jun 5, 2009, 10:19 PM
That very question has nagged me for years. Even when the condo boom took off and there were hundreds of proposals for new high rises nothing came from Colliers. When Donald Trump was trying to get his project off the ground on 26th street and Camelback the Colliers group claimed they had something in the works but then nothing. When the talk of lacking hotel space and the Sheraton was proposed, nothing from Colliers. When the talk was of low office vacancy rates and OCPE took off nothing from Colliers. Its almost like they lost interest in their own development.

If I remember correctly, there is an "Available" sign on the property. I forgot who is representing it, I'll have to stop by and check it out again. Who knows how much they are asking for it which may be the reason it's been sitting there vacant for so long.

Vicelord John
Jun 5, 2009, 10:49 PM
I think it is CB Richard Ellis?

HX_Guy
Jun 5, 2009, 11:57 PM
Thats what I was thinking but I dont see anything on their website about it.

gymratmanaz
Jun 6, 2009, 1:38 AM
You would think with both stadiums across the street and the convention center a block away....it would be a no-brainer!!!

LAFINDOG
Jun 6, 2009, 2:12 AM
The new tower crane is going in this weekend. It is going to be usede to finish the garage and also for phase 2. The current plan is 10 sories of hotel under 10 stories of office to match Phase 1. Looks to be a go...let's all hope

gymratmanaz
Jun 6, 2009, 3:33 AM
:)

HX_Guy
Jun 6, 2009, 3:48 AM
Damn three tower cranes on one project? Have never seen that before in Phoenix. Pretty awesome.

HX_Guy
Jun 6, 2009, 5:20 AM
Looks to be a go...let's all hope

Why does it "look like it's a go" and it's not a definite go? Are they waiting on financing or what is the deciding factor for the second tower that will make it a definite?

Also, I wonder what the retailers, mainly AJs and CVS, think about no residential units in the tower. It would not have been a whole lot of people, but would have been regulars at both stores.
I guess the majority of the shoppers to both stores would be daily office workers even if a residential tower were to be built on the same block. I wonder though...what sort of hours will these retail places have?

PhxPavilion
Jun 6, 2009, 12:21 PM
Remember, there were originally going to be two more residential towers on the east block as well. I'm sure the retail portion of this development is less than happy with the end result.

So, tower 2 at 20 stories, sounds like under 300' to me.

PHX_PD
Jun 6, 2009, 1:10 PM
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/Phoenixguy/IMG_7299.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/Phoenixguy/IMG_7294.jpg

HooverDam
Jun 6, 2009, 2:04 PM
^That lost shot is terrific! Even at its reduced scale CityScape is going to have a big impact due to its location.

PHX31
Jun 6, 2009, 2:22 PM
/\True, it is a great shot and location.

Isn't Phelps Dodge 20 stories and 289'? With this tower being 20-22 stories, partially hotel, I can see it being about the same height as Phelps/Freeport McMoRan.

I hope the city is happy with what has turned out on these prime parcels.

HX_Guy
Jun 6, 2009, 3:51 PM
Isn't Phelps Dodge 20 stories and 289'? With this tower being 20-22 stories, partially hotel, I can see it being about the same height as Phelps/Freeport McMoRan.

Yes, but it's Class A office space. Hotel rooms tend to have smaller floor to floor heights. The Sheraton is 31 stories and 350' which is ~ 11.3' per floor while Phelps Dodge is 14.5'.

If we use the same figures, we're looking at ~258' for the hotel/office tower at Cityscape.