PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix CityScape Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78

Leo the Dog
Nov 17, 2009, 3:38 PM
^^^ Yeah hopefully Phoenicians will actually go DT and support the businesses or else we'll have a ton of empty store fronts just like the Collier Center and AZ Center.

gymratmanaz
Nov 17, 2009, 3:49 PM
Last time I looked, Arizona Center was pretty full, at least compared to a year or so ago. Yes????

glynnjamin
Nov 17, 2009, 4:06 PM
It's pretty full but they have some very large space available still. The Fat Tuesdays spot is still open as well as the space next to Hooters. Both are rather large and make up 10% of their available retail space. Couple that with the fact that there is a small storefront that is recently vacant, it's hard to say what direction AZCenter is going. There are, however, people there every day of the week...which is more than I can say for most of downtown.

dtnphx
Nov 17, 2009, 6:16 PM
Isn't tonight (Nov. 17), the Mayor Gordon speech at Cityscape? Are we expecting tenant announcements? Anyone on the forum attending?

Vicelord John
Nov 17, 2009, 6:17 PM
Its the state of downtown at jellyfish park.

HX_Guy
Nov 17, 2009, 6:59 PM
It was originally going to be held at Cityscape but I believe was moved to Civic Space Park because of the anticipated announcement of Freeport McMoran moving into One Central Park East.

Luke Skyscraper
Nov 17, 2009, 8:30 PM
It was originally going to be held at Cityscape but I believe was moved to Civic Space Park because of the anticipated announcement of Freeport McMoran moving into One Central Park East.

Where does Freeport McMoran currently call home? In DT Phx?

HooverDam
Nov 17, 2009, 8:37 PM
Where does Freeport McMoran currently call home? In DT Phx?

In this building:
http://www.glasssteelandstone.com/Images/US/AZ/Phoenix/PhelpsDodgeTower-Jan08-004a.jpg

on Washington. Notice the copper strip across the top, thats there since its a copper company.

gymratmanaz
Nov 17, 2009, 9:06 PM
I will be there, and HX is going too.

Vicelord John
Nov 17, 2009, 9:15 PM
I was planning to be there but my girl and i are both experiemcing food poisoning right now. Not fun

HX_Guy
Nov 18, 2009, 3:07 AM
So the State of Downtown speech was pretty much a bust...nothing new at all announced for Cityscape or OCPE or anything. The only semi-interesting thing he said is that two new tenants will be announced within one month for Cityscape.

Going off that...maybe this is one of the tenants? It's mentioned in this article on New Times....

Oakville Grocery Co. Coming Soon to Scottsdale Quarter
By Michele Laudig in Chow Bella, New Restaurant Alert
Tue., Nov. 17 2009 @ 5:35PM

newrestaurantalert250.jpg
​Oakville Grocery Co., a California-based market cafe founded in 1881 that's considered by many to be the West Coast version of Dean & Deluca, is getting ready to open its doors in early December at the new Scottsdale Quarter shopping complex -- already home to hot retailers like H&M and the Apple Store. A second location is already being considered for downtown Phoenix, at CityScape.

Oakville's already lined up some top local talent, including executive chef Walter Sterling (of Autostrada, Sol y Sombra, and Mary Elaine's) and wine director David Johnson, who made Sol y Sombra's Spanish wine program the talk of the town when it opened.

Now Johnson says his big focus will be on Northern California wines -- Napa, Sonoma, Mendocino, Santa Cruz, and beyond -- with about 70 percent of the selection from the Golden State. Oakville will feature wine retail as well as a winebar with rotating selections by the glass.

"I'm excited for good, fresh, seasonal gourmet food that's simple and goes really will with wine," Johnson says.

The menu will feature pizzas, sandwiches, and salads, and catering will be available. Johnson says the target opening date is December 1 but construction may set it back about a week.

gymratmanaz
Nov 18, 2009, 4:46 AM
YUP, HX, the speach had nothing too new to those of use here. They made a big deal of LuckyStrike, which is a big deal, but we knew about it for quite a while. To those there, it was news to them.

I liked hearing that Cityscape offices and retail are already 74% filled. That is great news, especially with two other big tenant annoucnements to come in the next month.

Phil did say that there was a new grocery store in Cityscape. With Phil having already announced at the Lhurs Tour the other month, that AJs was out of Cityscape, I think that HX's announcement about Oakville Grocery sounds like that is a done deal. If it wasn't, he would not have mentioned a new grocery store like that.

The park looked awesome and it was a great event, the first big one using most all of the park. The food was really good, nice mix of people, and it showed off a great sustainable park!

On a side note, on my home via light rail, I couldn't help but notice that after almost a whole year of service, how clean and great the rail cars look. I also love that they have replaced the bad Cat's Claw vines at the stations that never grew well and replaced them with blooming Snail vine that will have the cages filled by the new year! Nice work by a lot of people I am sure!!!!!

reguyphx
Nov 18, 2009, 5:58 AM
I was at the the speech as well and I don't know why you both think that the big announcements in the coming month have anything to do with CityScape. I got the impression that the announcements are about something new and not related to CityScape.

NIXPHX77
Nov 18, 2009, 7:05 AM
i was there too, and while i don't regret going, it was mostly a bust as mentioned above. i also felt Mayor Gordon didn't specifically refer to Cityscape when mentioning the 2 big announcements to come in a month, though most of his speech did pertain to CS and ASU.

Evil Empire
Nov 18, 2009, 7:41 AM
gymrat, I definitely agree about the LR trains...while incidents are bound to happen (remember the homeless man defecating on the train?), the way the cars are kept nice and clean with a growing ridership (over 41,000 a day for October, a new record) is pretty satisfactory.

By comparison, I remember the smell on the BART in the Bay Area and it was definitely not pleasant and as clean...unless you like inhaling the pungent aroma of urine every day and looking at the blobs of dried, soaked-in vomit on the seats :sly:

Then again, the BART carries over 350,000 passengers daily so...I guess you can cut them some slack :haha:

HooverDam
Nov 18, 2009, 8:26 AM
So the State of Downtown speech was pretty much a bust...nothing new at all announced for Cityscape or OCPE or anything. The only semi-interesting thing he said is that two new tenants will be announced within one month for Cityscape.

Going off that...maybe this is one of the tenants? It's mentioned in this article on New Times....

It was a total bust. I left once that guy from ASU came up. The whole thing seemed like a giant promo for ASU which made no sense ASU is primarily a Tempe institution.

Phil did say that there was a new grocery store in Cityscape.

He also said CityScape is a $900 million project covering 3 city blocks, so his info on this whole development is pretty out of date.

The whole event was a bust for me too because by the time I got to the front of the food line they weren't allowed to serve anymore because the Mayor was talking.

Also, as much as I generally like Mayor Phil watching him give a speech is pretty painful. Its not GW Bush bad, but good heavens, he emphasizes the wrong words, has sentences that he says in a dramatic way but don't have dramatic context and messes up words left and right.

gymratmanaz
Nov 18, 2009, 11:58 AM
Hoover....yes Phil ....... is an incredibly bad ...... speaker!!!? He does tend to put the wrong em[B]pha[B]sis on the wrong syl[B]lab[B]ble.

glynnjamin
Nov 18, 2009, 2:08 PM
I, too, left as soon as the other guy started speaking. What a waste. I, however, did get the impression that the upcoming announcements were pertaining to CityScape.

On the bright side, the pork fried rice from Nine05 & the Lobster Bisque from Coach & Willies were both excellent.

HX_Guy
Nov 18, 2009, 3:33 PM
I was at the the speech as well and I don't know why you both think that the big announcements in the coming month have anything to do with CityScape. I got the impression that the announcements are about something new and not related to CityScape.

I'm pretty confident that he was talking about Cityscape because he mentioned the 2 tenant announcements rights after he talked about the overall ($900 million dollar blah blah) project.
Also, someone at RED told me a couple weeks back that they would have two new tenant announcements soon...so putting the two and two together...

Leo the Dog
Nov 18, 2009, 5:04 PM
Last time I looked, Arizona Center was pretty full, at least compared to a year or so ago. Yes????

Yeah it definitely has more patrons this year compared to last, however, the people going there are guests staying at the Sheraton directly across the street.

Notice how I said "Phoenicians". Also, when there are no conventions in town, DT is still a ghost town, bc the locals do not visit DT on a regular basis.

Leo the Dog
Nov 18, 2009, 5:07 PM
It's pretty full but they have some very large space available still. The Fat Tuesdays spot is still open as well as the space next to Hooters. Both are rather large and make up 10% of their available retail space. Couple that with the fact that there is a small storefront that is recently vacant, it's hard to say what direction AZCenter is going. There are, however, people there every day of the week...which is more than I can say for most of downtown.

AT&T is gone now.

dtnphx
Nov 18, 2009, 5:10 PM
It makes sense about the Oakville Grocery because wasn't it mentioned a while back that the Sol y Sombra and Autostrada guy was planning to do something in Downtown Phoenix? So, if that's the case, it might be right on. I hope so.

Although I did not stay for the speech. The crowd was nice, the food was good and it was quite festive. They also seemed to turn the lights up on the floating sculpture more than they have lately. All in all, beautiful weather and a nice urban experience.

glynnjamin
Nov 18, 2009, 5:24 PM
Well here is the transcript of the talk. Of course, it doesn't seem to have the remarks that all of us heard about making future announcements in the next month.

“The Time is Now”

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Good evening!

Let me thank Jeanine L’Ecuyer for doing such a great job as our emcee tonight. Let’s give her a hand.

And let me acknowledge our title sponsor, Freeport McMoRan for making this free event possible tonight. Freeport McMoRan continues to be the world’s largest publicly owned copper company – and a fantastic corporate partner. We’re proud to have their global headquarters in downtown Phoenix.

And I’d like to acknowledge my colleagues from the Phoenix City Council who have joined us this evening.

Let’s thank them for all the hard work they do for our community.

But what also makes this City run – is the best collection of city employees in the country. And they are all led by our very talented – and brand new – city manager, David Cavazos. Please help me thank them all.

And thank all of YOU so much for joining us for our Sixth State of Downtown Celebration – and the very first one to be held outdoors – where we can all mingle with people and actually SEE downtown Phoenix. And I know you’ll agree with me that what we have done is truly a unique revitalization of downtown.

Other cities have tried for decades to pump life into their downtowns – including us. Why? Because we have learned that for a City to be healthy – it must have a healthy heart. And that heart – that core – is its downtown. When a city is battling sprawl and decay, its heart grows weak. But when you have a healthy downtown – a healthy heart – the core grows denser and stronger, more active – and pumps new life into the entire city.

For those of you who have been coming to these events all along, we’ve experienced some interesting things together haven’t we? We were among the very first to gather in the expanded Convention Center – and to meet in our new Downtown Sheraton. We all rode the light rail a month before anyone else — and we welcomed the University of Arizona, to downtown Phoenix. I want to acknowledge the historic significance of that. The U of A put the interests of the State first and did something unprecedented in history – by expanding their medical school to Phoenix — AND they did it by partnering with ASU. Let’s give our visionary friends from the University of Arizona a big round of applause.

Some of you might even remember another “First” when, using incredible state-of-the-art technology, we all watched a giant video screen and saw a U of A doctor and Tucson medical students examine and diagnose Phoenix City Councilman Claude Mattox from 100 miles away. This means that rural communities and small schools can now access personal medical attention, literally, with a very small camera and the click of a mouse. It’s tremendously important and amazing.

Well tonight – we’re at our new Civic Space – next to the historic A. E. England Building which opened for the first time in 1929 – and now, has reopened 80 years later as a 21st Century Town Hall – a free resource for all in our community. And, of course, overhead, we are stunningly surrounded by one of Janet Echelman’s defining pieces of art – “Her Secret is Patience”. Though with all due respect to Ms. Echelman — when it comes to building a downtown – MY Secret is that I am NEVER patient. My secret is Nike’s motto – Just Do It.

And for the past six years, that’s EXACTLY what WE have been doing.

I’m not going to spend my usual 10 minutes recapping what’s been going on around here. You’ve seen it. You’ve eaten in the new unique restaurants, visited the galleries, enjoyed the NBA All-Star activities, continue to enjoy OUR “Best in the NBA” Phoenix Suns – and 17,000 of you watched the Phoenix Mercury – the GREAT Phoenix Mercury — win their second championship in three years.

And just last week, we hosted the International Greenbuild conference – bringing 28,000 people to Phoenix from all over the globe. So yes, our downtown really did have a year that made most cities “green” – and not just in an environmental way. In an envious way.

But that was yesterday. This year, I want to focus on this evening. And all our tomorrows.

Yes, it’s been a tough year economically for everyone. You’ve heard all about it, read all about and felt it.

But in spite of it all, we’ve still got a lot going on in downtown Phoenix. And it’s all good. In fact, as we gather here tonight, more than 1 million square feet of new space is currently under construction in downtown Phoenix.

And in ANY economy, a million is STILL a very big number.

A big part of that big number, is represented by CityScape. As you might recall, CityScape is truly a landmark project – $900 million dollars in private investment over 3 city blocks in the heart of our downtown. As of tonight, 74 percent of both its commercial and retail space has already been leased – six full months before its completion.

Six years ago, I got the biggest applause of my life when I announced that I wanted to bulldoze Patriots’ Park and replace it with something that would be a jewel for Downtown, and would honor our Patriots in a more inviting and inclusive way.

The new Patriots’ park is now under construction.

You all know that CityScape is going to take downtown to a whole new level. Restaurants, night clubs, our first REAL downtown pharmacy, a grocery store – it’s all incredibly exciting.

And ONE new addition to CityScape is VERY exciting. It’s called Lucky Strike. Lucky Strike is a bowling alley, but it’s not like any bowling alley you’ve ever seen. It’s a restaurant, but so much more. It’s a sports bar, but so much more. It’s simply “an entertainment experience”.

But until you can experience it for yourself – you’ll just have to SEE it for yourself. Recently, a Lucky Strike opened to RAVE reviews in Hollywood. And THIS is what it looks like. Please watch the screen.

(video)

I’m not a very good bowler – unless I can use those bumpers that my 10 year old son Jake USED to use — so let me ask my new friend to join me on stage and help us celebrate Lucky Strike by knocking down a few pins.

(Bowl)

So CityScape will continue to change the face – and the dynamics – of downtown Phoenix for decades to come. And if you ask the folks from RED Development why they think NOW is the time to be downtown — they’ll tell you it’s because ASU thought it was time to be downtown. It IS time.

And ASU changed everything. That’s why we’re here – in this park – our first sustainable park in Phoenix. Because I want to say “thank you” to Dr. Crow and to ASU – and to highlight the steady heartbeat of Arizona State University – which continues to pump life into downtown Phoenix, continues to generate revenue for the State – and continues to do what universities are supposed to do: educate our residents, and prepare them to change the world for the better.

When Dr. Crow and I envisioned the 21st Century University in the heart of downtown Phoenix, many people thought we were crazy. OK, many still do. But not the voters – or our great bond committee – or our City Council. We told all of those visionaries that a downtown campus would create an economic benefit before construction, during construction and long after construction ended. We promised it would not only bring new life to downtown, but it would also restore old buildings and build new ones. That it would bring students. And faculty. And staff. And a 21st Century energy. And all the things that make a university, a university. And as promised, it’s done all those things: Enrollment is up 42 percent, with 8,000 students, faculty and staff downtown. The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communications opened – with the freshman class growing by an amazing 45 percent. And the two big reasons, according to the Dean, are THIS beautiful building; and the fact that it’s in Downtown Phoenix. A $30 million dollar addition to the Nursing school just opened – as did the second tower at Taylor Place – that nearly 800 students now call home.

Some have said that ASU is our downtown “Sutter Mill” – where, in the 1840s, many miners stuck it rich with the gold nuggets they panned from the Creek. But ASU is much more than a few nuggets – it’s a gold mine. Because when you look beneath the surface — when you dig deeper – that’s where you strike the REAL gold.

And with ASU Downtown, Phoenix has hit the mother lode. We’ve struck REAL gold – (and a little maroon). And we’re just beginning.

There’s a classic line they teach in marketing class that cautions us to keep our eyes on the REAL ball. The line says: “When someone buys a hammer their goal isn’t to drive a few nails – their goal is to build something.” That’s an important lesson. We don’t invest in universities just to pound a few nails and hang a few doors. We build universities so thousands of graduates will be able to open thousands of their own doors.

Therefore, when we seek funding for universities, the goal is not to buy bricks and mortar, the goal is to move beyond even solar technology — creating clean, renewable energy from the simple motion of plants. To design smarter and greener cities. To advance and apply the science that will improve the quality AND the length of your life. The measure of a university isn’t what happens inside the four walls of a classroom. It’s what happens after students leave those four walls, and set out to change the world – and do.

That’s the end product. That’s why we invest in education. That’s why we focus on education. And it’s why communities with vision, communities like ours, support education.

Absolutely, ASU has brought excitement to downtown Phoenix. It’s brought students and professors. It’s attracted research grants, investment dollars, businesses, restaurants and galleries. And it’s sent a big signal to everyone – including our friends at CityScape – that for downtown, “Our Time is Now”.

Before I introduce you to today’s guest lecturer, let me tell you a few more things that I know about ASU, and why we should all care so much about it.

For starters, it is already creating over 2,500 good-paying jobs. Blue Collar. White Collar. Green Collar. That’s 2,500 families that can pay their bills and make purchases. And as we all know, “purchases = sales tax”. In fact, the construction phase of ASU downtown has produced more than Ten Million Dollars in state sales tax revenues from construction materials alone.

While our sales tax revenues have declined citywide, in downtown Phoenix, they are up by 13 percent. Those are the nuggets.

Now, for the gold mine: ASU has produced two Nobel laureates – one in 2004 and one just this year. Its freshman class is the largest and most academically qualified in university history. 31 percent were within the top 10 percent of their high school class – and 64 percent were in the top quarter.

ASU is in the top 10 producers of Fulbright Scholars — producing 92 in the past 6 years.

612 National Merit Scholars enrolled at ASU last year and 324 National Hispanic Scholars.

This year, research expenditures exceeded $300 million dollars for the first time in ASU history. Research laboratory space increased by 72 percent and, near and dear to my own heart – ASU founded the nation’s very first School of Sustainability. And I promise you, the greatness of a city in the future will not be measured by square miles or population – a city’s greatness will be measured by its ability to sustain itself into the next Century.

Organizationally, ASU has added thirty-one new schools in the past 7 years – including:

The School of Sustainable Engineering. The School of Computing, Informatics and Decision Systems Engineering. The School of Biological and Health Systems Engineering. The School of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences. The School of Geographical Sciences and Urban Planning. And, of course, the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication – right across the street.

By the way, Brian Williams is anchoring the national NBC Nightly news from the roof of the Cronkite building right about now. So let’s all make a lot of noise and let the country hear us in Downtown Phoenix !!!

These new schools will produce thousands of students with unique degrees in those areas. And those thousands of students – armed with their new and excellent education — will keep Phoenix AND Arizona competitive as we charge into this new Century – and sustain into the next.

ASU is such a unique University. It has great professors, great students and, according to TIME Magazine a Top Ten President in Dr. Michael Crow. Like Phoenix, rather than letting the future define us – ASU is defining the future – and shaping courses that will shape that future. That’s why we’re partners with ASU. And thanks to our city employees, my colleagues, Arizona State University and all of you, the future we shape together will be bigger, better and brighter.

It’s not just buildings. It’s everything. Take a look.

(ASU VIDEO)

Last year, I suggested that we all needed to see downtown for ourselves. And we hopped on a light rail car and did. This year, I want you to HEAR for yourselves, why ASU Downtown matters. And for that, I’ve set up a little classroom here tonight – and have invited a guest lecturer to make a short presentation to this very important class. By the way, there WILL be a short test afterwards, so listen carefully.

Please welcome ASU’s Vice President for Research and Economic Affairs, Dr. Rick Shangraw.

(ASU REMARKS)

Thank you so much Dr. Shangraw. Before I dismiss this class, let me end with a heartfelt and passionate plea for everyone who cares about this community, this state, and our shared future – to keep investing in education. You’ve just heard a little bit about what universities mean to our future.

You have heard for yourselves the wisdom of our investment in the downtown campus. You know the progress it has sparked. You see the good work being done by students, teachers and researchers.

We invest in universities to seek and build a better world. To find new cures. To perfect new technologies. To protect our fragile planet. We invest in universities because life is complex and intertwined – and we need well-educated people to solve those complexities and connect all those dots.

Thank you for continuing to support what we’re doing in education. Thank you for continuing to support what we’re doing downtown. And thank you all very much for joining us this evening.

Don’t forget to grab your recycled gift bag on the way out – remember to “Shop Phoenix” — and PLEASE drive safely.

And with that…class is dismissed.

Also, was I the only one annoyed by the National Anthem singer? The lyrics she sang were flat out WRONG and I thought it was quite a disservice to the event. Anyone who sings "perilous night" and "for the land of the free" to a crowd should be deported.

gymratmanaz
Nov 18, 2009, 6:07 PM
She was horrible. You missed other new lyrics too. Also, she spent the first third of the song finding the correct key to sing. The keyboard player finally started to plunk out the tune note for note, instead of playing backup chords.

AND, the Pledge was a joke too, since no one started at the same time, and there were two different pledges going on at one time. How both groups finished at the same time was amazing.

As per not seeing the statement about two announcements in the coming month...not every word he said was in the transcript. He went of script from time to time.

HX_Guy
Nov 18, 2009, 6:08 PM
I recall it being said immediately following this line...

"You all know that CityScape is going to take downtown to a whole new level. Restaurants, night clubs, our first REAL downtown pharmacy, a grocery store – it’s all incredibly exciting."

It was to the effect of..."And within the next month, two new tenant announcements"

PHX31
Nov 18, 2009, 7:10 PM
Did anyone see the nightly news with Brian Williams on NBC last night? He was apparently broadcasting from the roof of the journalism building. Maybe the background was downtown. Anyone?

EDIT: Nevermind... it looks like they were aiming towards the mountains of the NE valley. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#34002028

gymratmanaz
Nov 18, 2009, 9:33 PM
HX is absolutely correct. That is what I heard....... since we sat next to each other. :) LOL

gymratmanaz
Nov 20, 2009, 1:20 AM
Almost all of the outline of the Urban Outfitters is done with steel, even up to most of the second story. Lots of work going on there.

Also, they have put some nice trees along the east side of Central . I am thinking, they are getting ready to reopen central. I would not be surprised if they soon started to take down the tower crane on central and then the one on the SE corner of Cityscape in order to then reconstruct the new tower in the middle of the second tower area for prepping for starting on tower #2 in January. This is my guess/prediction, nothing in concrete from anyone specific....

Tempe_Duck
Nov 20, 2009, 2:29 AM
Almost all of the outline of the Urban Outfitters is done with steel, even up to most of the second story. Lots of work going on there.

Also, they have put some nice trees along the east side of Central . I am thinking, they are getting ready to reopen central. I would not be surprised if they soon started to take down the tower crane on central and then the one on the SE corner of Cityscape in order to then reconstruct the new tower in the middle of the second tower area for prepping for starting on tower #2 in January. This is my guess/prediction, nothing in concrete from anyone specific....

When/What is the point of no return for the decision on strengthening the under structure for possible light rail?

HX_Guy
Nov 22, 2009, 6:29 PM
Some new photos and updates...

The deserted looking core...not sure what is going on with that but you can also see the square opening (surrounded by the wood railing) where I'm guessing the tower crane will be moved to. I see now other reason that the opening would be there.
http://nitnelav.com/DTNov222009/7.jpg

Central Ave is due to be reopened on December 7th. which would explain why the trees were planted this early.
http://nitnelav.com/DTNov222009/5.jpg

Urban Outfitters...
http://nitnelav.com/DTNov222009/2.jpg

Gold's Gym...
http://nitnelav.com/DTNov222009/3.jpg

http://nitnelav.com/DTNov222009/4.jpg

http://nitnelav.com/DTNov222009/6.jpg

http://nitnelav.com/DTNov222009/8.jpg

http://nitnelav.com/DTNov222009/9.jpg

Evil Empire
Nov 22, 2009, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the update pics.

PHXguyinOKC
Nov 23, 2009, 6:39 AM
i figured they would build the pedestrian bridge before reopening central

plinko
Nov 25, 2009, 12:03 PM
i figured they would build the pedestrian bridge before reopening central

An interesting observation and one I hadn't really thought of. Anybody know if the pedestrian bridge is still in the works? Has it been VE'd out of the project?

Central is a wide street (75' ROW I think?) so a prefab bridge is possible in two segments I suppose. You could actually do a single 75' segment, but transporting it would be a problem (Arizona limits trailer lengths to 61'). Hmmm....

I personally have never understood the need for either a pedestrian bridge (mid-block crossing? crazy ass pedestrians!) or the elevated platforms creating 2nd story retail in the middle of the blocks (it doesn't work at Collier, it rarely works in much denser cities), but it's not my money!

gymratmanaz
Nov 25, 2009, 12:55 PM
well, first of all, there has to be one, since the tower 1 side has the raised courtyard. It has to lower down to street level or cross by a bridge. The supports are already there for that isde. It looks like to will connect to the Urban Outfitters building and gradually cross the second block.

Next, I don't see it being hard to bring a prefab in, since that is how they did it at the convention center. They brought it in early one morning, and boom, there it is!

I think it will be cool and add another dimension and level to downtown.

glynnjamin
Nov 25, 2009, 2:34 PM
Unfortunately that dimension is the wrong one. I mean, we want people to operate on a 2D-level (street-side). Giving them access to an elevated walkway just makes them miss the things that are on street.

Look at it this way: without the pedbridge, shoppers/visitors would have to stand at the light on either Jefferson or Washington to get to the other lot. While they wait they see the new shops in Luhrs or the shops in one of the towers along Washington...then they go over there and shop a bit, see something else and walk down there. Before they know it, they've walked to the Civic Space Park without even thinking about it. By getting pedestrians off the street, I think you hurt the connectivity of downtown.

HX_Guy
Nov 25, 2009, 3:40 PM
My thoughts exactly and something I've said to gymratmanaz from the start. A ped walkway could be cool in a city that already has lots of pedestrian activity, to add that dimension and less congestion on the street but in Phoenix? In my opinion, we need as many feet on the street as we can get. Getting people off the street and up in the air isn't going to make it feel any busier then it is now. I think it was a horrible idea.

HX_Guy
Nov 26, 2009, 12:52 AM
C'mon RED...you gotta fuckin' build this thing! It would be the sweetest hotel in Downtown Phoenix!

From http://jenniferjbrooks.com/portfolio who worked at DAVIS (which I believe is no longer the architect for the South Tower but it still gives us an idea of what direction RED is going in with this hotel tower).

http://jenniferjbrooks.com/wp-content/gallery/kimpton-palomar-cityscape/kimpton-palomar-cityscape-reception-entry.jpg

http://jenniferjbrooks.com/wp-content/gallery/kimpton-palomar-cityscape/kimpton-palomar-cityscape-living-room.jpg

http://jenniferjbrooks.com/wp-content/gallery/kimpton-palomar-cityscape/kimpton-palomar-cityscape-elevator-lobby.jpg

http://jenniferjbrooks.com/wp-content/gallery/kimpton-palomar-cityscape/kimpton-palomar-cityscape-guestroom.jpg

http://jenniferjbrooks.com/wp-content/gallery/kimpton-palomar-cityscape/kimpton-palomar-cityscape-guest-bath.jpg

gymratmanaz
Nov 26, 2009, 1:27 AM
PRETTY PLEASE!!!

Maybe if we all close our eyes and clap real hard..... oh no wait, that saves Tinkerbell. Oh Hell, I'll clap anyway in case.

Vicelord John
Nov 26, 2009, 2:30 AM
looks like another convention hotel. Why can't we get something boutique!?

gymratmanaz
Nov 26, 2009, 2:44 AM
Doesn't look like any convention hotel I know, and if so, bring it on.

Plus, looks like we are getting a boutique hotel in OCPE.

Vicelord John
Nov 26, 2009, 3:00 AM
uhm, looks like a convention hotel to me.

work desk, hermann miller chair, cover over the drapes.... drapes! Large open lobby screams convention hotel as well.

I guess we can't really expect anything else being that the only reason people rent hotel rooms downtown is to attend something.

and what "boutique" hotel are we getting in OCPE?

gymratmanaz
Nov 26, 2009, 3:42 AM
Check the OCPE thread. My buddy who designed it told me, and then a few days later permits were pulled for a pool and second entrance. I don't think we know what the name or style of it is, but a boutique hotel in OCPE it is.

I guess the drawings of the Cityscape Hotel Palimar look cool to me, and I will admit I am not a connuiser of boutique hotels. The drawings look a whole Hell of a lot better than any I usually stay in.....again, not sure what that says, but i think they look different and unique.

Vicelord John
Nov 26, 2009, 3:51 AM
By definition a "boutique hotel" is a non chain under 150 rooms. The only true boutique hotelS in the city are the shitty clarendon and san carlos.

Vicelord John
Nov 28, 2009, 6:07 PM
I never realized it, but it looks like a lot of the same shape as Collier Center.

I'm liking it less and less, and I hope those fancy lights go up on the top of it to kind of save it for me.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/haulasshyena/DSC_0001.jpg

Vicelord John
Nov 29, 2009, 5:52 PM
gymrat has some news to share with y'all but here are some piczzzzz

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/haulasshyena/DSC_0101.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/haulasshyena/DSC_0110.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/haulasshyena/DSC_0114.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/haulasshyena/DSC_0120.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/haulasshyena/DSC_0122.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/haulasshyena/DSC_0127.jpg

HooverDam
Nov 29, 2009, 6:50 PM
I really like that view down Washington, its starting to look very 'big city.' Hopefully someday in our lifetimes the Capitol Mall won't look like hell and Washington will become an impressive street from the Capitol to the Convention Center.

The view looking North showing everything from Cityscape to OCPE is neat too, I dont think Ive noticed that angle before.

EDIT: VVV Interesting about LGO, I wonder if theyre talking to them about replacing AJs. That way they can keep the concept of a higher end grocery that also does lunches and stuff. The (now former) AJs space is much larger than LGOs space in Arcadia so they could either have a few eateries there or flesh it out into more of a full service grocery (Id hope for the latter, we desperately need a grocer downtown).

gymratmanaz
Nov 29, 2009, 8:41 PM
Well, it seems the powers that be are trying to woo the folks surrounding La Grande Orange. My friend didn't say if it was another LGO or a different concept from the LGO Group, but I take it as a great sign and opportunity. While there, my source (that I would rather not name since I didn't ask his permission to blab) called someone he said was in charge of Cityscape. He asked when the hotel was going up. He was quickly told that it will go vertical in January and that support work was going on below the surface level already. When my friend called his Cityscape connection, he didn't even have to use his name when he asked about the hotel. The person on the other line knew who he was. He obviously is well connected. I know this is nothing set in stone or a signed contract, but I am taking my friend's call as as close to a done deal as we will get until we actually see something happening on tower #2.

TAZ4ate0
Nov 30, 2009, 3:41 PM
^That's good news. Thanks for the update gymrat.

Vicelord John
Nov 30, 2009, 4:52 PM
The view looking North showing everything from Cityscape to OCPE is neat too, I dont think Ive noticed that angle before.

The more I pictured that view, the more frustrated I became. Think about the fact that each one of those buildings represent one block. Yup, everyone of those blocks is one building per city block.

dtnphx
Nov 30, 2009, 5:33 PM
Well, it seems the powers that be are trying to woo the folks surrounding La Grande Orange. My friend didn't say if it was another LGO or a different concept from the LGO Group, but I take it as a great sign and opportunity. While there, my source (that I would rather not name since I didn't ask his permission to blab) called someone he said was in charge of Cityscape. He asked when the hotel was going up. He was quickly told that it will go vertical in January and that support work was going on below the surface level already. When my friend called his Cityscape connection, he didn't even have to use his name when he asked about the hotel. The person on the other line knew who he was. He obviously is well connected. I know this is nothing set in stone or a signed contract, but I am taking my friend's call as as close to a done deal as we will get until we actually see something happening on tower #2.

That was like reading porn. :P

PHX31
Nov 30, 2009, 5:37 PM
Tower #2 is still only planned as the 12-ish story hotel, right? Or are offices or something else on top still a possibility?

PhxMatt
Dec 2, 2009, 2:01 AM
Not sure if anyone has posted this yet but Central is open to traffic through Cityscape. It is narrow and bumpy but Traffic was going through this evening...

Tito714
Dec 2, 2009, 2:18 AM
yes I also noticed that today coming home.

DER-XE
Dec 3, 2009, 1:04 AM
Looks like one of the announcements will be Oakville Grocery!!! they must be taking/replacing the AJ's - cant both co-exist in the same project - real estate rep confirmed the deal - Scottsdale will be opening shortly and will follow with an announcement on the CityScape location.....

gymratmanaz
Dec 3, 2009, 2:47 AM
Yeehaaa!!!

HooverDam
Dec 3, 2009, 3:29 AM
Looks like one of the announcements will be Oakville Grocery!!! they must be taking/replacing the AJ's - cant both co-exist in the same project - real estate rep confirmed the deal - Scottsdale will be opening shortly and will follow with an announcement on the CityScape location.....

Hm interesting. Glad theres going to be a grocery store but from their website this place looks like it may even be more pricy/boutique-ish than AJs is. While thats fine, its kinda redundant w/ the Urban Public Market. I still think Downtown will eventually need a Fresh & Easy, Food City, or something like that. Safeway is the nearest normal grocery store and I find it to be a bit on the pricy side (compare to say Frys).

Vicelord John
Dec 3, 2009, 4:05 AM
came home and saw this, bitches.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/haulasshyena/DSC_0454.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/haulasshyena/DSC_0455.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/haulasshyena/DSC_0456.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/haulasshyena/DSC_0457.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/haulasshyena/DSC_0458.jpg

PhxMatt
Dec 3, 2009, 4:08 AM
I was at an event in Chandler this evening and met someone from Hunt Construction. He noticed the logo on my shirt and started taking about working on Cityscape. I asked how things were going and he said it was moving along, but the south tower was put on hold. He said that Red told them to cap it at three floors until further notice. I assume that is why the elevator shaft was stopped were it is. He said they are trying to figure out their next move... We got interupted at that point so I did not get to discuss it more but they are having a gathering for all the construction groups on the 7th and invited me to attend. If I can make it I will try to get more info.

plinko
Dec 3, 2009, 4:12 AM
came home and saw this, bitches.

Nice! If only it extended past the mechanical equipment.

gymratmanaz
Dec 3, 2009, 4:57 AM
Vicelord. You rock!!!!!! It is as we talked! Thank God!

HooverDam
Dec 3, 2009, 5:32 AM
Hm well I assume theyre just testing it on that corner and itll eventually light up the whole crown, otherwise its pretty darn lame. I hope they have the foresight to light it up purple and orange during Suns season/games and red/white for the D'backs.

HX_Guy
Dec 3, 2009, 6:06 AM
...but the south tower was put on hold. He said that Red told them to cap it at three floors until further notice.

Sounds about right...no matter how much we want to believe it's not the case. As I was telling gymratmanaz earlier today, RED and anyone else involved can say all they want that this thing is going vertical in the next month or two...there are ZERO building permits for a south tower and that's pretty much all the proof you need to know that it's not going anywhere for a while at least.

Evil Empire
Dec 3, 2009, 6:16 AM
Hm well I assume theyre just testing it on that corner and itll eventually light up the whole crown, otherwise its pretty darn lame. I hope they have the foresight to light it up purple and orange during Suns season/games and red/white for the D'backs.

Yeah, if they left it like that, it would be fucking pointless.

And the purple/orange would be awesome.

gymratmanaz
Dec 3, 2009, 12:59 PM
Not to burst your bubble, but orange is not a color choice. It would look cool, but Vicelord showed the spectrum of colors in those pictures.

mwadswor
Dec 3, 2009, 2:23 PM
Not to burst your bubble, but orange is not a color choice. It would look cool, but Vicelord showed the spectrum of colors in those pictures.

How hard can it be to add orange?

Leo the Dog
Dec 3, 2009, 3:42 PM
Nice! If only it extended past the mechanical equipment.

Haha true. Funny how this will draw attention, people will look up and see the mechanical box.

Vicelord John
Dec 3, 2009, 4:12 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble but the colors were fading into one another. Tjere was some orange in there. I only showed a few of the colors.

gymratmanaz
Dec 3, 2009, 4:26 PM
I know I tend to be more positive than most, but I am so tired of all the "Glass is half empty"comments.

*They should have more than 5 colors.
*You can still see the box above the colored panels.

How about.... Awesome! We have a really cool building with a light up colored crown!!!

This will possibly be the coolest looking building at night. Personally, I have never seen a building with a crown of changing light panels anywhere. Would some of you rather have no lit up crown at all?

For me, in this case, the glass is a lot more full than halfway. Would I prefer the box to be covered and to have a whole crayon box full of colors to pick and choose from, sure. But come on people. We got a pretty damn cool new building!!!!!

Vicelord John
Dec 3, 2009, 4:36 PM
Hoover you can act pretty dense sometimes. Obviously it is going to wrap around.

CraftTeutonic
Dec 3, 2009, 7:07 PM
I noticed that last night too. it also went red and white. pretty badass

gymratmanaz
Dec 3, 2009, 8:15 PM
It will make all the other buildings jealous! :)

HooverDam
Dec 3, 2009, 9:50 PM
Hoover you can act pretty dense sometimes. Obviously it is going to wrap around.

Well nothing would surprise me at this point with Phx skyscrapers. This thing has already been value engineered over and over again, I wouldnt have been surprised if it was only going to be lit up in sections.

gymratmanaz
Dec 3, 2009, 10:33 PM
and on odd numbered days?

Evil Empire
Dec 4, 2009, 12:02 AM
It will make all the other buildings jealous! :)

Yeah...it'd be awesome if they all stepped up and installed their own cool lighting.

gymratmanaz
Dec 4, 2009, 1:45 AM
Went down to Cityscape and ...

1) The lights are really cool!

2) There is a sales trailer where the condo sales center was supposed to go. I am assuming it is for presale for Golds Gym....though a condo sales center would be a huge and welcome surprise...I am not holding my breath.

3) There is a huge black banner going up on the North-East side of tower #1. It was not unfurled, but it says Cityscape and another word starting with a "C" ....like Coming Soon to Cityscape......betting it is for the Golds Gym too, for presales.

Jsmscaleros
Dec 4, 2009, 9:52 PM
I would call a condo sales booth at Cityscape absolutely retarded, for lack of a better word. It would imply that developers got together, saw the disaster that the other luxury units have turned into nearby and decided that was a good business model to continue.

I hope they stick to the hotel plan.

gymratmanaz
Dec 7, 2009, 5:10 AM
During the Cardinal-Viking game tonight, they showed a live shot of downtown Phoenix. You could even see the few test panels in color on the top of Cityscpape. Just imagine what that shot would look like when the whole thing is lit up.

I stopped by today and they were putting some glass in the signage for the Golds Gym. There were a few pieces above where the actual Golds Gym sign will be. It almost looked like the same stuff as the color changing glass on the crown. I wonder if it is the same.....?

They have both sides of the planting containers that go along the stairs completed. They will look nice with plants and lights in them!

dtnphx
Dec 7, 2009, 9:36 PM
I thought Phoenix came off good last night visually. They did a nice job of showing downtown and then stating that the Cardinals play in suburban Glendale. Oftentimes they usually show a lone cactus next to a skull and say, "Live from the desert....

HX_Guy
Dec 7, 2009, 9:44 PM
Yea I thought so too...and it was great to actually see some up-to-date aerial shots, not old stuff like they used to show. As gymratmanaz said, they were so recent that you could actually see the corner of the Cityscape crown lit up.

gymratmanaz
Dec 7, 2009, 9:48 PM
I agree. They usually show a cactus or a sunset. I wonder if someone in our city said something to NBC. It sure is nice to see us portrayed as a big city with a downtown and everything.

I can't wait to see Cityscape from the air like that with the whole crown lit up!!!

PHX31
Dec 7, 2009, 9:49 PM
NBC does a great job with their videography of cities during SNF. Anyone see the shot they had from up on South Mountain (I think)? It was great seeing the city lights lighting up the grid, but they had it as a time lapse and the lights screaming across the sky of the airplanes landing and taking off were awesome.

dtnphx
Dec 7, 2009, 10:38 PM
NBC does a great job with their videography of cities during SNF. Anyone see the shot they had from up on South Mountain (I think)? It was great seeing the city lights lighting up the grid, but they had it as a time lapse and the lights screaming across the sky of the airplanes landing and taking off were awesome.

YES! That was amazing. Talk about Phoenix lights. Those planes zippin' around against the night sky was great.

azliam
Dec 8, 2009, 12:53 AM
YES! That was amazing. Talk about Phoenix lights. Those planes zippin' around against the night sky was great.

I watched the game, but must have missed it. Does anyone have a screen shot(s) of it?

gymratmanaz
Dec 8, 2009, 5:04 AM
Just stopped by Cityscape and wow, the wind has knocked the Hell out of all of the fencing on the north and east sides. The whole north side of both blocks is down. Two police cars are there to block off traffic and some big rigs are moving stuff around to clean up blown debris and equipment.

TonyAnderson
Dec 8, 2009, 5:30 AM
I saw a great shot on SNF of downtown. Looked great.

HX_Guy
Dec 9, 2009, 5:41 PM
Like we already didn't know...

AJ's Fine Foods is out of downtown Phoenix's CityScape project

CityScape's developer is shopping for a new grocery store tenant.

Now that Bashas' Supermarkets Inc. is in bankruptcy court, it's unlikely that the Chandler firm will build a 9,300 square foot store in the $900 million downtown Phoenix project, according to CityScape's developer.

Red Development LLC expects to name a new tenant soon, said the firm's managing partner Mike Ebert.

Bashas' filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in July. The company was squeezed to the breaking point by tight credit conditions, aggressive competition and by budget-conscious shoppers, Bashas' officials have said.

Issues tied to the court proceedings, including negotiations with creditors, "ended hopes" for a AJ's in CityScape, RED development says.

“We have been hard at work to find another good fit to fill the urban grocery slot that AJ’s occupied at CityScape and we expect to make an announcement regarding that in the very near future,“ Ebert said.

AJ's was one of the marquee tenants for the three-block development, which will include shops, restaurants, condos and offices. Before a farmer's market group opened a small downtown grocery store in October, that neighborhood had lacked a supermarket for nearly three decades.

Building more amenities, including grocery stores and pharmacies, are a key part of city leaders' plans to entice more people to live in downtown Phoenix.

CityScape is bordered by First Ave., Second St., Washington St. and Jefferson St. The first phases of the project are scheduled to open in Spring 2010.

-- Jahna Berry

Vicelord John
Dec 9, 2009, 6:01 PM
yea I already was commenting on that on Jahna's blog.

she is one stupid fucking mother fucker.

gymratmanaz
Dec 9, 2009, 8:21 PM
Did anyone else hear that AJ's is out and won't be a part of Cityscape? I swear, it would be nice if the press or bloggers would report this kind of breaking news!!!! ;)

dtnphx
Dec 9, 2009, 11:34 PM
Did anyone else hear that AJ's is out and won't be a part of Cityscape? I swear, it would be nice if the press or bloggers would report this kind of breaking news!!!! ;)

LOL! I think she suffers from Delayed Breaking News Receptor Syndrome. Last week she reported that Starbucks finally has opened in the Valley. :haha:

Vicelord John
Dec 9, 2009, 11:50 PM
I wrote a letter to Arizona Republic and got a nasty response. I won't show the letter as I was advised to destroy it but I'll copy their response:

"Mr. XXXXXXXXXX,

At this time, we feel that Jahna is a valuable asset to our publication. Her blog and stories of development and downtown happenings has been a tremendous asset to our website as well. Additionally, your comments are deragory and racist, and show no logical reason why anyone should be terminated from employment. In fact, it would not be legal in this or any other state to terminate someone for the color of their skin, sex, disability, sexual orientation, or any other reason unrelated to their on-the-job performance. We are sorry to hear that you do not wish to continue reading our columns, and we take every reader comment seriously. Thank you for your input. XXXX XXXXXXX"

gymratmanaz
Dec 10, 2009, 1:19 AM
I think I peed a little......

dtnphx
Dec 10, 2009, 5:42 PM
I wrote a letter to Arizona Republic and got a nasty response. I won't show the letter as I was advised to destroy it but I'll copy their response

What on earth did you say? You could have said she needs to try harder to find news and get ahead of the curve, but it seems that you've called her a giant she-skank. Hilarious!

HX_Guy
Dec 10, 2009, 8:22 PM
Heh...people are funny...

Permit# RVSN-090290-03 Issue Date 12/10/09 Expires 12/10/10
Permit Description CITYSCAPE BLOCK 22 NORTHTOWER

******REVISION******
REVISED FLOOR DESIGNATION AND OMITTED FLOOR 13 PER OWNERS REQUEST.
(SPRINKLER SYSTEM NOT AFFECTED BY THIS REVISION)

gymratmanaz
Dec 10, 2009, 8:40 PM
LOL

I got excited, HX, when I saw a permit under your name. You usually post ones that are great news.

Vicelord John
Dec 10, 2009, 8:54 PM
I stayed in a hotel once and they put us on the thirteenth floor. It was in Albuquerque. I went back down to the front desk and had them give me a different room on another floor.

And yes, they have a couple tall'ish buildings in Albuquerque.

HX_Guy
Dec 11, 2009, 3:06 PM
Another law firm leases space in CityScape tower
Phoenix Business Journal - by Jan Buchholz

Polsinelli Shughart PC has become the fifth law firm to sign on with the CityScape project in downtown Phoenix.

Keith Earnest, vice president of development for RED Development LLC, which is handling the CityScape project, said Polsinelli has taken two floors totaling about 45,000 square feet in the 27-story office tower, which will be ready for tenants in June. The monetary value of the 10-year lease was not disclosed. The deal was signed last week.

Polsinelli joins law firms Squire Sanders & Dempsey LLP, Ballard Spahr LLP, Jennings Strouss & Salmon PLC and Gust Rosenfeld PLC as major tenants in the 575,000-square-foot CityScape office tower, which is under construction at Washington and First streets in downtown Phoenix.

RED also announced that the AJ’s Fine Foods that was planned for CityScape will be replaced by another grocery tenant yet to be named. RED Managing Partner Mike Ebert said AJ’s parent company, Bashas’ Supermarkets, is unable to move forward with the new store during its Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization.

Bashas’ could not be reached for comment by press time.

Other confirmed tenants include Fidelity National Title Insurance Co., Corporate Office Centers and Gold’s Gym International Inc. RED also will move its corporate offices from Scottsdale to CityScape.

Earnest said RED is in negotiations with several other professional services firms for about 225,000 square feet of office space, but he would not disclose their names.

Ed Novak, a partner at Polsinelli, said the law firm will move next summer from its current 30,000-square-foot location at the Security Title Plaza, 3636 N. Central Ave.

He said CityScape “is a significant downtown development, and downtown is the center of the legal and financial parts of the community. We see ourselves as vibrant and growing, and we want to be where the action is.”

Polsinelli, which is based in Kansas City, Mo., also expects to build its ranks significantly in Phoenix in the next two years. The company has 62 employees, including 32 lawyers.

“We expect that to increase to 50 (lawyers) or so within the next two years,” Novak said.

CityScape was planning to celebrate a milestone at noon Dec. 11 with a topping-off ceremony for the 180,000-square-foot retail portion of the project. Weitz Co., the contractor on the retail portion, is hosting the event at the northwest corner of Central Avenue and Jefferson Street. It will include city dignitaries and local VIPs.

Thus far, the retail tenant lineup includes Urban Outfitters, Lucky Strike Lanes and Lounge, CVS Pharmacy, Republic of Couture, Designer District, Mojo Yogurt, Press Coffee, Blu Burger Grille, Breakfast Club and several other restaurants.

HX_Guy
Dec 11, 2009, 11:36 PM
I checked out the lunch time topping off by Weitz today...and was disappointed that no new tenant announcements were made or any announcements about the hotel tower. It was basically just a big everyone congratulating everyone else and saying they are on time and under budget on Patriot's Square block.
They did say that the retail on Patriot's Square will open in June and that the office tower will open in April.

One tidbit that came out of Mayor Gordon was something to the extent of Colliers announcing some sort of major development for Block 23 (the remaining block) in one year from now. Ok...I don't think any of us will hold our breath, but I guess it's something to semi look forward to.

Here are some shots from the 2nd floor of what was to be AJs and a new rendering from an angle we haven't seen before. I love that the entry to Urban Outfitters is off of Washington...that is a huge win in my opinion.

http://nitnelav.com/DTDec112009/1.jpg

http://nitnelav.com/DTDec112009/2.jpg

http://nitnelav.com/DTDec112009/3.jpg

Oh yea...there was also a new permit issued today for floors #2 & #3 of the South Tower. It's an actual building permit so we should see things start to move on that pretty soon.

Permit Description STRUCTURE FLOORS 2 AND 3
Project 06-5309 CITYSCAPE
Address 2 E JEFFERSON ST AZ

TYPE OF BUSINESS: CITYSCAPE BLOCK 22 SOUTH TOWER LOG#: PHAS 0705627-06 PROJECT#: 06-5309 SITE INSP(N) SPECIAL EGRESS

DESCRIPTION OF WORK: STRUCTURAL ONLY PLANS FOR LEVEL 2 AND 3 FOR THE SOUTH TOWER. ARCHITECTURAL PLANS INCLUDED FOR geometric REFERENCE ONLY.

Vicelord John
Dec 11, 2009, 11:42 PM
were you in and on top of the patriots square block? I'm jealous.

and how wide were you shooting? I want to get a 10-24 so bad.

HooverDam
Dec 11, 2009, 11:58 PM
The more I see the CityScape tower, the more disappointed I am. Sure its nice to have more blue glass in our skyline so its not so overly brown, but does every building that gets built downtown have to be 10 years behind in style? The horizontal lines just look lame, the thing looks straight out of the late 90s at best. For once I wish we would get something that took a chance and did something different, this is a climate that demands creative thinking and unique buildings, yet this thing (and most of our towers) look like they could be in Cincinnati, Duluth, or Charlotte.

At least the proposed South tower had that cool gap in it above the hotel and while thats not exactly cutting edge it would've been for Phoenix, its too bad we'll likely not see that now.

/end rant of disappointment

HX_Guy
Dec 12, 2009, 12:19 AM
and how wide were you shooting? I want to get a 10-24 so bad.

That's pictures taken with the iPhone and using the AutoStitch app to make a wide angle picture. It's a combination of 4 separate shots and it's all automatic. Works pretty well, no?