PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix CityScape Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78

gymratmanaz
Apr 22, 2010, 12:42 PM
As far as I know when talking to Bob, the owner at LGO, the LGO location is wrong in the drawing. It will be facing the arena next to the hotel turnaround.

HooverDam
Apr 22, 2010, 2:01 PM
Was trying to figure out what that ROC place was from Vicelords image, "Republic of Couture" which Im sure HX mentioned previously. Just went on their site, holy Jesus is it atrocious (http://e.rocintheweb.com/istarimages/mp/SSTP-3!ARTIN-2295.jpg) clothing (http://e.rocintheweb.com/istarimages/mp/V05H307!SALVA-1522.jpg). Its very "I drink energy sodas and watch UFC," bleck. But Im sure they'll sell a decent amount of crap to people walking to those Latin night clubs on Washington.

I really worry about the viability of only 4 clothing outlets with out a main retail anchor, it seems like we've seen that sort of thing fail time and time again (Az Center, Galleria, CityNorth). Maybe some of the storefronts in the Luhrs Complex will become clothing retailers and create some sort of synergy. If the lot bounded by Jefferson/Madison & 1st/Central ever gets developed it would be a nice spot for say a hotel above a retail anchor (like a Penneys) but thats eons away from being a possibility.

EDIT: VVV I hope not, while they're not my thing they do bring people Downtown on non event nights and are some of downtowns only nightlife spots. Why would they all be closing? Just due to the economy or...?

Vicelord John
Apr 22, 2010, 2:14 PM
I've heard grumblings that those night clubs may be a thing of the past within the next 12-18 months.

gymratmanaz
Apr 22, 2010, 4:10 PM
Really, they are packed at night. What is happening to them? Closing or changing????

As per worrying about not having an anchor store.....I see the Lucky Strike and Comedy club and awesome 15 restaurants as being anchors. I would hate to have a boring anchor store there. Unique retail is a draw i think.

HX_Guy
Apr 22, 2010, 4:34 PM
Unique but also known is the key. I don't think a Pennys would be all that great but maybe an H&M would have been great (if they hadn't gone elsewhere first) or a Nike Town or a Diesel store...basically stuff people know or have heard about but were not yet available in the Valley.

Leo the Dog
Apr 22, 2010, 4:55 PM
I'd love to see DT get a anchor. Why not a Macy's or a Nordstrom? Central Phoenix only has Biltmore Fashion Park for department store option, and where do South Phoenix and Laveen residents shop? (its not all ghetto and farms down there anymore) AZ Mills in Tempe probably.

gymratmanaz
Apr 22, 2010, 5:06 PM
HX, Yes like that. Those are unique and fun draws, but a department store would not be my choice.

Vicelord John
Apr 22, 2010, 5:11 PM
I want House of Hoops!

Tfom
Apr 22, 2010, 11:48 PM
Interesting stuff but I too wonder about the ice rink. I can't imagine that being sustainable or sensible, sure maybe at night it dips into the 40s or 50s, but during the day it seems like that things going to become a pool, but what do I know

They had one in gainesville, fl where average winter temps are warmer than here.

glynnjamin
Apr 26, 2010, 10:05 PM
For those interested in checking the place out...Gold's Gym in CityScape is having their grand opening on Saturday from 10am-4pm. It is open for everyone so you can come in and tour the place. If anything, it will give you a good view of the rest of the project.
http://www.goldsgym.com/gyms/page.php?gymID=1156&sec=21600&cid=12745

Vicelord John
Apr 26, 2010, 10:16 PM
For those interested in checking the place out...Gold's Gym in CityScape is having their grand opening on Saturday from 10am-4pm. It is open for everyone so you can come in and tour the place. If anything, it will give you a good view of the rest of the project.
http://www.goldsgym.com/gyms/page.php?gymID=1156&sec=21600&cid=12745

Not all of us like to be raped anally. Pass.

Don B.
Apr 26, 2010, 10:24 PM
^ LOL...

I'm leaning towards joining 24 hour fitness at 24th & Camelback...it's basically on my way home from work. Just a few more things to attend to first...

--don

scottkag
Apr 26, 2010, 10:48 PM
You'll have better luck if you look for 24 Hr Fitness at 32nd St and Camelback.

^ LOL...

I'm leaning towards joining 24 hour fitness at 24th & Camelback...it's basically on my way home from work. Just a few more things to attend to first...

--don

Don B.
Apr 26, 2010, 11:07 PM
^ I mean L.A. Fitness. Doh!

:)

--don

HX_Guy
Apr 27, 2010, 6:12 PM
Plinko: What do you make of this? Is it anything of significance?

Permit# RVSN-0705627-12 Issue Date 3/18/10 Expires 3/18/11
Permit Description CITYSCAPE - ST PODIUM
Project 06-5309 CITYSCAPE

DESCRIPTION OF WORK: STRUCTURAL ONLY PLANS FOR LEVEL 2 AND 3 FOR THE SOUTH TOWER. ARCHITECTURAL PLANS INCLUDED FOR REFERENCE ONLY

****************REVISION - ADDED REINFORCING DUE TO CONSTRUCTION SEQUENCING TO ADD LATERAL STABILITY TO EAST HALF OF LEVELS 2-3 ONLY. (DELTA #8)

dtnphx
Apr 27, 2010, 6:17 PM
Plinko: What do you make of this? Is it anything of significance?

I'm no expert, but I'm praying! :banana:

HX_Guy
Apr 27, 2010, 6:21 PM
I'm no expert, but I'm praying! :banana:

I'm not seeing it as a positive.

I'm not expert, but what I take from it is that due to construction sequencing (as in, part of the building will go up later)...the east half of the building (the part going up now) has to be reinforced since it will not be able to use the western part (hotel tower) for support.

As in...the western part (the hotel) is coming way later so might as well reinforce the eastern part to be a stand alone building.

dtnphx
Apr 27, 2010, 8:38 PM
Oh, man. I didn't recall seeing the words "ONLY" at the end of the sentence. Damn.

plinko
Apr 28, 2010, 4:23 AM
I'm not seeing it as a positive.

I'm not expert, but what I take from it is that due to construction sequencing (as in, part of the building will go up later)...the east half of the building (the part going up now) has to be reinforced since it will not be able to use the western part (hotel tower) for support.

As in...the western part (the hotel) is coming way later so might as well reinforce the eastern part to be a stand alone building.

My assessment as well. The exposed west site of the 3 story building will be subject to wind loads that wouldn't occur if a tower was built up against it. That's where the extra lateral forces come from. Quite likely, the city required the extra reinforcing given that construction on the hotel tower hasn't started yet and doesn't have an ETA as of yet.

TAZ4ate0
Apr 28, 2010, 5:12 AM
yeah....and 44 Monroe is still only going to be a parking garage. The hotel is a go.

plinko
Apr 28, 2010, 5:15 AM
Uh...the hotel isn't a 'GO' until they've pulled a building permit. Until then it's all conjecture.

TAZ4ate0
Apr 28, 2010, 7:23 AM
If I told you that the hotel portion is going to be built without doubt....then I'd be called a liar. But that is OK...

...expect the hotel portion to start soon

HX_Guy
Apr 28, 2010, 7:49 AM
Trust me that's what we are all hoping but it's not looking for for "soon" without permits.

When you say "soon"...how soon are we talking time wise?

TAZ4ate0
Apr 28, 2010, 9:10 AM
The strong bug in 'me ear, from 2 different sources, is sometime in the later part of July. Of course I'm no expert in this, so that could only mean that is when they will seek the permits, and not actually go vertical as of yet.

Anyway, just passing along a bit of info from the grapevine...

AZScraper
Apr 28, 2010, 11:50 PM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k121/ndnwotah/IMG00473-20100428-1634.jpg

Layin' Some Pipe...
Is this the water fountain or the 30Rock ice ^ skating ring???

:koko:

HX_Guy
Apr 28, 2010, 11:53 PM
CityScape bringing 3 restaurants and a lounge to downtown

by Howard Seftel - Apr. 28, 2010 04:27 PM
Republic restaurant critic

CityScape, the $900 million showplace project in downtown Phoenix, has just inked a deal with New Orleans restaurateur Jason Doyle and his Doyle Restaurant Group to bring three more restaurants and a lounge to the complex.

Brian Harper, vice president for leasing for CityScape developer RED Development, calls Doyle an "independent, Sam Fox-type guy" with a knack for creating popular concepts. Fox is the brains behind popular Valley eateries Olive & Ivy, True Food, Zinburger and Modern Steak.

Harper says all the places will be "value-centric."

The three restaurants are scheduled to open in October.

• La Crepe Nanou: The uptown New Orleans location of this restaurant has been around since 1983 and is always crowded. Look for a French café menu of soups, salads, crepes, along with a few meat, fish and poultry entrees.

• BrewPublic Craft House: Craft beers and pub grub are the focus.

• Huey's 24/7 Diner: The kitchen will never close at this diner, which will feature inexpensive comfort food.

The final piece of the Doyle mini-empire is Rasputin Vodka Bar, which Harper compares to the dark, sexy Merc Bar in Phoenix's Esplanade office complex. The Web site calls it a "late-night, DJ-inspired ultra lounge."

Harper is aiming for a summer opening.

Over the past two years, CityScape has put together an impressive restaurant line-up. Among the coming attractions are LGO Public House, a gastro pub from the La Grande Orange group; two Aaron May ethnic restaurants, one Mexican, the other an Asian noodle house; a Sam Fox, Beverly Hills-style chophouse; a pan-Asian/sushi restaurant from Jimmy Carlin called Silk; and new branches of two local favorites, the Breakfast Club and Blu Burger Grille.

CityScape is bordered by First Street and First Avenue, between Washington and Jefferson streets.

DracoCaifan
Apr 29, 2010, 12:33 AM
What about the Tilted Kilt? Is it on the plans still?

combusean
Apr 29, 2010, 12:56 AM
Did I just see downtown getting a 24/7 diner now?! :D :D :D

kaneui
Apr 29, 2010, 2:07 AM
CityScape bringing 3 restaurants and a lounge to downtown

by Howard Seftel - Apr. 28, 2010 04:27 PM
Republic restaurant critic

CityScape, the $900 million showplace project in downtown Phoenix, has just inked a deal with New Orleans restaurateur Jason Doyle and his Doyle Restaurant Group to bring three more restaurants and a lounge to the complex.

Brian Harper, vice president for leasing for CityScape developer RED Development, calls Doyle an "independent, Sam Fox-type guy" with a knack for creating popular concepts. Fox is the brains behind popular Valley eateries Olive & Ivy, True Food, Zinburger and Modern Steak.

Harper says all the places will be "value-centric."

The three restaurants are scheduled to open in October.

• La Crepe Nanou: The uptown New Orleans location of this restaurant has been around since 1983 and is always crowded. Look for a French café menu of soups, salads, crepes, along with a few meat, fish and poultry entrees.

• BrewPublic Craft House: Craft beers and pub grub are the focus.

• Huey's 24/7 Diner: The kitchen will never close at this diner, which will feature inexpensive comfort food.

The final piece of the Doyle mini-empire is Rasputin Vodka Bar, which Harper compares to the dark, sexy Merc Bar in Phoenix's Esplanade office complex. The Web site calls it a "late-night, DJ-inspired ultra lounge."

Harper is aiming for a summer opening.

Over the past two years, CityScape has put together an impressive restaurant line-up. Among the coming attractions are LGO Public House, a gastro pub from the La Grande Orange group; two Aaron May ethnic restaurants, one Mexican, the other an Asian noodle house; a Sam Fox, Beverly Hills-style chophouse; a pan-Asian/sushi restaurant from Jimmy Carlin called Silk; and new branches of two local favorites, the Breakfast Club and Blu Burger Grille.

CityScape is bordered by First Street and First Avenue, between Washington and Jefferson streets.

Out of the gate, CityScape's dining options certainly look impressive: 10+ varied establishments and not a single national chain among them. Hopefully, their lease deals will allow them to weather the sour economy and hang on until there are more downtown residents to ensure their long-term viability.

JKPhx
Apr 29, 2010, 3:23 AM
The roof of the PSP side of Cityscape is begging for some kind of green roof or rooftop lounge...any attention on that roof would make it an amazing place to be at night downtown.

Evil Empire
Apr 29, 2010, 4:16 AM
Did I just see downtown getting a 24/7 diner now?! :D :D :D

That's what I noticed first, too.

HooverDam
Apr 29, 2010, 5:37 AM
Wow the first thing I noticed was how they keep annoyingly referring to it as a $900M project, but who cares? 24/7 DINER DOWNTOWN!!!!!

Vicelord John
Apr 29, 2010, 5:45 AM
I will believe when i see.

Leo the Dog
Apr 29, 2010, 12:06 PM
This sounds great....2 questions come to mind though: How exactly are all of these places to survive when they are competing for the same pool of people who spend money downtown?

And if they do survive, is it at the expense of others, say, Cibo, Turf or overrated Bianco?

Vicelord John
Apr 29, 2010, 2:28 PM
Overrated bianco? Lemme guess youre upset they made you wait.

glynnjamin
Apr 29, 2010, 3:27 PM
I think the theory is that building a "restaurant mecca" in the heart of the city will entice people to just go down there to eat on the weekends. In other words:
Husband: What do you want to eat tonight?
Wife: I dont know, what do you want?
Husband: I can't think of anything
Wife: Let's just go to CityScape and see what sounds good.

At least that's how I envision it. Think of it like a mall of restaurants. I'm not saying it will work (that French place looks expensive) but I think many of those places will do very well.

Vicelord John
Apr 29, 2010, 3:29 PM
What about the Tilted Kilt? Is it on the plans still?

I was womdering as well. The presentation they gave me did not include it and i didnt think to ask.

Jsmscaleros
Apr 29, 2010, 4:26 PM
I've been wondering about parking at Cityscape. It doesn't really make a difference to me since I use the train mostly to go downtown, but is the garage below going to be pay or free? I remember the how huge the pit was beneath the buildings when they first excavated the site, but I wonder if anyone knows the scoop on the price to park.

glynnjamin
Apr 29, 2010, 4:41 PM
The price fluctuates depending on if there is a game or not...at least right now. I'd imagine that there MIGHT be some restaurants that will validate...but I think that's a copout. You have three light rail stations bordering your property...I think people should be encouraged to take the train. Plus, there are all those other garages/lots around. Don't forget the old JC Pennys is now a full lot.

Vicelord John
Apr 29, 2010, 5:09 PM
I can't for the life of me imagine businesses not validating parking.

Leo the Dog
Apr 29, 2010, 9:53 PM
Overrated bianco? Lemme guess youre upset they made you wait.

Haha, No. Service sucks and the pizza isn't even the best in Phoenix.

combusean
Apr 30, 2010, 3:07 AM
I think the theory is that building a "restaurant mecca" in the heart of the city will entice people to just go down there to eat on the weekends. In other words:
Husband: What do you want to eat tonight?
Wife: I dont know, what do you want?
Husband: I can't think of anything
Wife: Let's just go to CityScape and see what sounds good.

At least that's how I envision it. Think of it like a mall of restaurants. I'm not saying it will work (that French place looks expensive) but I think many of those places will do very well.

This. Downtown is already making a name for itself as a restaurant district--with so many so close to each other with convenient garage/lot parking it should be the perfect draw for suburbanites who wouldn't otherwise go.

The restaurants that are there peppered around downtown probably won't even find themselves competing.

The retail, on the other hand... who knows. I definitely see Urban Outfitters excelling with corporate's desire to make it their Arizona flagship store. It may beget other retail shops (as I read somewhere else on this board) but that's far more of an uphill battle.

Vicelord John
Apr 30, 2010, 3:14 AM
Haha, No. Service sucks and the pizza isn't even the best in Phoenix.

Lemme guess, you think Parlor is the best. Have fun on your hater bandwagon.

There are very few places I will even recognize as pizza restaurants.

1. Bianco
2. Cibo
3. Pizza a Metro
4. Grazie
5. La Grande Orange

If you arwn't one of those, fuck yourself.

HX_Guy
Apr 30, 2010, 3:47 AM
Ive said it before but I like Cibo better than Bianco, just personal preference. The cheese at Bianco tastes aged to me...or maybe they have just over cooked it each time I went, but at Cibo it has been consistently good every time and has that fresh mozzarella taste that I love.

Hey John...what about people that swear up and down that Grimaldi's is the best, and say its better then Cibo. I know someone like this and I don't get them.

Vicelord John
Apr 30, 2010, 4:39 AM
Grimaldi's is shit. Tourist hype goes a long way.

Jsmscaleros
Apr 30, 2010, 5:04 AM
My pick: Spinato's - especially the Super 6

Everything popularly declared #1 is going to bring on the haters. I have nothing against Bianco - loved the pizza (and we didn't have a crazy wait... mind you, that was before Oprah gabbed about it).

Vicelord John
Apr 30, 2010, 5:15 AM
I've heard a lot of good things about Spinatos. Im not sure though it falls into the same category as all these gourmet pizza places. Its more a standard pizza albiet a good one.

HX_Guy
Apr 30, 2010, 5:26 AM
I tried Spitanos at the Food Festival thing in Scottsdale a couple weekend back and did not like it, the sauce was sweet and not to my taste (same problem as Grimaldis to me). I like my pizza salty.

dtnphx
May 1, 2010, 2:00 AM
As a former Brooklynite and Pizza afficianado, I would rate:

Best overall Pizza in the Valley is Pizzaria Bianco. Not only do I, but every person I bring there from out of town. They shit themselves! Mind you, they bitch that they had to wait for hours and proclaim if that pizza is not what you say it is, they will stab me. One bite, and they're sold. Cibo is very nice and offers a greater selection (and the awesome crepes), but the pizza is not close to Bianco in any way. Just sayin.

For true, Neopolitan, NY-Style, straight up Pizza Joint it's Pino's Al Centro at 1st Ave and Thomas. Unreal. His tomato sauce tastes like my muddahs! Other great food cooked from a great Italian guy, Pino.

Vicelord, you called it right.

Vicelord John
May 1, 2010, 2:13 AM
man, I remember when I lived in midtown I went to pino's like 4x a week. Dude is really cool and the food is fucking awesome. If you ever go there and he has the NY Cheeseburger on the menu get it, you won't be sad.

gymratmanaz
May 1, 2010, 4:27 AM
And they are soooooooooooo nice there!!! Grteat place, Pino's!!!

gymratmanaz
May 1, 2010, 9:21 PM
HX and I just finished looking at the Golds Gym and Cityscape. The gym is amazing. It is very classy. It even has a cinema cardio room, where they show recent release movies that come out for rental. They were showing Avitar of course, but on a huge, huge, huge screen. The room is almost pitch black, other than the glow of all the cardio treadmills. The gym has really nice amenities. It is a nice, high tech, executive gym.

The views from the gym are cool, too.

We were all wrong, the Golds is only on the second story for entrance and lockerooms. The gym itself is on the third floor. The main part of the second floor that you see covered in windows will be a huge restaurant. The trainer there said it would be a steak place, but the Fox Chop House is on the south side.... I am betting it might be for the new Sushi place. Either way, it is a hug area for a restaurant.

The plaza of the PSP side is getting many new above the ground planter beds, big enough for trees. I think the courtyard will have more trees and greenery than we first thought.

There are lots more nice touches being added. My opinion is that this is turning out to be quite a place. I can easily see many city events where people congregate there for announcements like SUNS WIN THE WHOLE THING ( One can dream!) There are so many places for poeple to look into the plaza from street or raised leves, including the pedestrian bridge.

HX got some pictures. I am sure he will add more.....

Tito714
May 2, 2010, 12:20 AM
I really like the signage on the southside of the gym it's looks really good.

Vicelord John
May 3, 2010, 1:55 PM
Toured golds gym. Reaaaaaaaally nice, but:

1. What do i need a tv on my treadmill for? I have a tv at hom whinch i spend a good chunk of my life in front of. Im excersizing trying to chang my lifestyle, not be a fat ass couch potato on a treadmill. Golds is an enabler.

2. No holes in the ground with water in them. Seriously? Not even a hot tub?

3. No courts of any kind. Fuck something golds gym. You suck. The closest court is at the county jail.

4. Why the fuck do i need to watch a movie while i work out?

5. I think its funny the yoga studio looks directly at sam foxs steak.

6. They are selly glitzy technology which to me screams its ok to be a lazy fat ass tv watching american piece of shit. As long as youre on a treadmill.

glynnjamin
May 3, 2010, 5:05 PM
John, i know you are trying to find every reason to hate Golds. I can understand your gripes. I really can. It IS expensive and it is not centered around athletic activities like swimming, basketball, or racquetball. If that's the kind of thing you are looking for in a gym then you are going to find Golds to be outrageously overpriced and significantly lacking. I get it.

But you pretend like you don't understand why there are things like TVs and cinemas and iPod docks. Some people don't want to think about working out. Some people find it harder to work out when all they can focus on is the time ticking on the screen. Some people need distractions. I'm one of those people. And ya, I'll cop to being lazy and fat. I watch an hour or two of TV most week nights. What Golds allows me to do is spend those TV-watching hours at the gym actually doing something instead of just sitting at home. Sunday I got to watch the entire Real Madrid match while on the elliptical. I ran for two hours on there. Was I exhausted after? Sure. But did I feel like I had run two hours? Not at all. That's the beauty of having the tv there. The other nice part is that I won't have to watch Glenn Beck's douchey ass on the public TVs that everyone has to watch at the T-bird Gold's. I can watch whatever I want. Is it really a bad thing that people are being more active? Who cares how they are doing it? Whatever you can do to encourage a better lifestyle for Americans, why wouldn't you do it? Sure, it may not work for you, but obviously the machine manufacturers see enough market share that wants it that they bothered to build them.

And finally, I think this gym is more focused on downtown workers. I may be wrong, but I don't think playing 2-on-2 or swimming 20 laps is the kind of thing you do when you have an hour lunch and want to hit the gym.

In any event, the gym is awesome. I'm glad to have it and I'm glad that I'll get to watch the PSP lot develop and change over time while I'm getting back into shape.

Vicelord John
May 3, 2010, 6:09 PM
Some people don't want to think about working out.

That's exactly my point.

Only in America is staying healthy and living a healthy lifestyle considered a chore and annoying, and something you need to take your mind off of in order to be able to do.

Gold's = enabler for people who can't get with it.

THEY HAVE A $100/MONTH LOCKER CHARGE!!!!!

glynnjamin
May 3, 2010, 6:22 PM
That $100/mo locker charge includes laundry service. You can leave you gym clothes and towel in your keypad-locked personal locker and someone will wash them every night. I don't think $100/mo is too much for that. I'd never pay it, but I think the convenience is pretty awesome. The other lockers are free to use - just bring your own lock.

And staying healthy/living healthy is different than working out. You can eat right and be generally active and be healthy. Running on a treadmill is one of the most boring things there is. Why shouldn't we make it more entertaining?

mwadswor
May 3, 2010, 6:26 PM
You can add me to the "working out is a chore" column. I'll do weghts without outside entertainment, but I've got to have something when I'm on a treadmill. I have an exercise bike set up in my living room so I can play video games while I work out :D

Vicelord John
May 3, 2010, 6:27 PM
That $100/mo locker charge includes laundry service. You can leave you gym clothes and towel in your keypad-locked personal locker and someone will wash them every night. I don't think $100/mo is too much for that. I'd never pay it, but I think the convenience is pretty awesome. The other lockers are free to use - just bring your own lock.

Oh my God! Someone to wash my towel, shorts, socks, and shirt! I don't have to go through that daunting task ever again!

lmao. I go to the gym twice a week. I have two outfits of gym shorts and shirts. I wear one on Wednesday, and one on Friday. On Sundays (laundry day) I wash them both and I'm set for next week. It's not very difficult, especially since my girlfriend does the laundry anyway.

I work in a place where I see people lazier and with a larger sense of self-entitlement than anyone in the world. Still, I'm amazed by Gold's and how they are catering to people who basically have the attitude of "I want to work out, but I don't want to do anything, and I'm willing to pay any price."

Here is a blank check, please write down any amount and I will gladly pay it!

glynnjamin
May 3, 2010, 6:57 PM
I don't really understand where you are coming from John. You work for a high-priced hotel. How is that any different? I mean, I can get a hotel room for $40. Who cares if it is in the ghetto and I have to bring my own toiletries? It's just a place to sleep over night. I'm only there for 9-hours each day that I am on vacation. Why would I spend more? Why do people need restaurants, room service, daily maid service, bottles of shampoo and bubble bath, or terry cloth bath robes? I've stayed in nice hotels and I've stayed in ghetto ones. Seems like there are plenty of hotels that use the same mantra you believe Golds has.

Vicelord John
May 3, 2010, 7:03 PM
I don't really understand where you are coming from John. You work for a high-priced hotel. How is that any different? I mean, I can get a hotel room for $40. Who cares if it is in the ghetto and I have to bring my own toiletries? It's just a place to sleep over night. I'm only there for 9-hours each day that I am on vacation. Why would I spend more? Why do people need restaurants, room service, daily maid service, bottles of shampoo and bubble bath, or terry cloth bath robes? I've stayed in nice hotels and I've stayed in ghetto ones. Seems like there are plenty of hotels that use the same mantra you believe Golds has.

I'm not exactly seeing how a place you spend a 5 day vacation is the same as a gym where you go for 3-4 hours a week, but ok.

Sure, spending $649/night for a hotel room (we have some higher than that) is redonkulous, but at least it is on lavish luxury rather than neat-o eye candy technology. If you want to talk hotels, I'd liken that Gold's to a W Hotel. It is pretty, it's got all the latest and greatest toys, but it has no substance. I don't care if my room has a martini shaker and a chalkboard, for instance, but I DO CARE if it has great towels and toilet paper. Just like I don't care if my gym has TV, movies, detailed how to instructional videos, but I DO CARE if it has the basics down. Gold's does not have the basics. It's also a greedy national chain, but let's not even get into that right now because it will get into an Average Joe's vs. GloboGym argument.

gymratmanaz
May 3, 2010, 7:22 PM
I used to go to the Suns Athletic Club, and they had laundry service. DAMN NICE. I loved leaving my stuff to be washed and finding it in my locker the next day. I needed no gym bag. It rocked!!!!

Again, Golds is one classy gym that will draw the businessman!!! i hope it draws enough. If I made what they probably make, I would go there!!!!!!

Don B.
May 3, 2010, 8:05 PM
I just want the cheapest gym possible with a hot tub. Swimming is nice but not as important...I've got a pool at my complex, along with a very tiny gym. But after slamming weights and using the stair stepper/exercise bike for an hour, being able to relax in a hot tub is heavenly.

The one thing I don't like is mega-crowded globo-gyms, as the term is used here. I like some solitude to my old-school workouts (no TV, iPod or other gearfaggotry needed). L.A. fitness was just jammed the day I was there in the afternoon after work. Ick...

--don

Vicelord John
May 3, 2010, 8:31 PM
hahaha you said faggot.

gymratmanaz
May 3, 2010, 8:48 PM
DON B. - So if you have a TV or iPod you are gay? Interesting way to stereotype. I didn't know one could be out-of-touch and offensive at the same time.

"Darn those technology savvy gays!!!!" LOL :)

PhxPavilion
May 5, 2010, 9:24 AM
Lemme guess, you think Parlor is the best. Have fun on your hater bandwagon.

There are very few places I will even recognize as pizza restaurants.

1. Bianco
2. Cibo
3. Pizza a Metro
4. Grazie
5. La Grande Orange

If you arwn't one of those, fuck yourself.

Never been to any of those but the best Pizza I've had is a little dive called Pizza by Napoli on 35th ave and Thunderbird.

combusean
May 5, 2010, 10:49 AM
I think don's use of the term gearfaggotry in this context doesn't mean that if you own these things that you're gay, but if you own them not for whatever function they provide in your life but to extend your superficial apperances about how much money you spent and how they improve your style, especially to others who feel the same way, you're strongly approaching stereotypically homosexual behavior--you both fuck Apple products for example.

gymratmanaz
May 5, 2010, 12:35 PM
That made no sense. Are you trying to come across as more bigotted and insensative???

Leo the Dog
May 5, 2010, 2:33 PM
I think don's use of the term gearfaggotry in this context doesn't mean that if you own these things that you're gay, but if you own them not for whatever function they provide in your life but to extend your superficial apperances about how much money you spent and how they improve your style, especially to others who feel the same way, you're strongly approaching stereotypically homosexual behavior--you both fuck Apple products for example.

iPod shuffles are, what, $59 brand new...I think many people use these devices simply to tune out the tens to hundreds of tools in the gym.

Don B.
May 5, 2010, 2:36 PM
^ Actually, I first saw the term used in the funniest diagram of the "progression in the life of a photographer" that a friend e-mailed to me a few weeks ago. It graphed out your actual skill at taking photos with your perceived skill, then showed the various phases as you progress. "Gearfaggotry" was used to describe that really bad phase where you lust after every camera and lens out there. I went through this phase in 2003-2006, ending up spending something like $7,000 on a Canon 5D and four L-series lenses, and always wanting more. Law school beat that urge to spend money out of me promptly and efficiently.

And Sean is correct...it has nothing to do with being gay (after all, a fag is a piece of wood, and during World War II, a cigarette)...it has to do with worshiping at the altar of gadgets, which all of us do to some degree or the other.

Now excuse me while I get to building my latest computer...LOL.

--don

Vicelord John
May 5, 2010, 2:49 PM
I never realized how defensive and accusitory you can be, chris. Everytime someone mentions gay you seem to blow your top.

Maybe he meant fags. Not allf fags are gay. Its intolerant of you to assume thats what he meant.

gymratmanaz
May 5, 2010, 4:38 PM
Really? A fag is cigarette or a bundle of sticks. What are you, in 5th grade? LOL

I didn't "Blow my top" to gay. He used Faggotry.

Faggot is in the exact same league as nigger, spic, kike, Wap .... Let's be adults and respectful of all. That is all I am saying.

Vicelord John
May 5, 2010, 4:42 PM
Really? A fag is cigarette or a bundle of sticks. What are you, in 5th grade? LOL

I didn't "Blow my top" to gay. He used Faggotry.

Faggot is in the exact same league as nigger, spic, kike, Wap .... Let's be adults and respectful of all. That is all I am saying.

not really. For someone who has had a good amount of humor in the past, you're being a little sensitive about something with no ill intention.

You're reminding me of Isaac Hayes who did a character on South Park for years and made fun of every religion, minority, and pop culture icon imaginable and seemingly was fine with it. Then one day, when they made fun of his "religion" (scientology... I refuse to capitalize it) he called them intolerant buffoons and quit the show.

I recommend you watch South Park episode 1312 "The F Word" as it may lighten you up a little bit about the words you act so offended by.

P.S. for the record I do not look down on niggers, kikes, wops, or greasers.

gymratmanaz
May 5, 2010, 4:59 PM
John, I don't think you or anyone here looks down on any group. I am just asking to be sensitive of words. Choose them wisely.

For instance, calling someone "gay" or "retard" or other similar word choice when you mean to call someone "stupid" or "silly" demeans a group of people. Using words incorrectly is a subtle form of putting a group of people down. On this forum, I see us as being an intelligent group who normally don't intend to offend others. I am just asking for all to be kinder to others..... unless you are a moronic Spurs fan!!!!! LOL

AND - I love South Park and Chef! In that case, it was intentional humor. It was making fun of everyone. THAT ROCKS!!! Mel Brooks is a genius. His movies all are amazing because they make fun of everyone. If you haven't been offended yet, just wait, you're next! He made fun of blacks, whites, straights, gays, men, women, catholics, jews, rich, poor, and everyone's favorite - nazis.....

Meanwhile, back to Cityscape.........

Vicelord John
May 5, 2010, 5:19 PM
I don't think there is enough going on at Cityscape to talk about...

gymratmanaz
May 5, 2010, 5:29 PM
I know, I stopped by and saw a few more columns up and a few more planting beds on the PSP side. I think there will end up being more trees and plants than i thought originally. I HOPE!!!!!!!

glynnjamin
May 5, 2010, 6:04 PM
There is actually a lot going on at CityScape. Besides the new Gold's signage, they seem to be having problems with the staircase water feature on the East side, as it has been off the past two days when it was on all weekend. They put down a new layer of padding over the plywood on the pedestrian bridge. There is some new framework up for the stairs to the ice rink. CVS seems to be nearest completion on that block. Urban Outfitters is installing lighting and doing interior work now.

gymratmanaz
May 5, 2010, 9:04 PM
Wish we knew whee some of the businesses are going. John, did you get any of that with your meeting a while back. There are so many now, it is almost hard to figure where they will all fit.

Vicelord John
May 5, 2010, 9:21 PM
Yeah i posted a map a few pages back.

gymratmanaz
May 5, 2010, 10:14 PM
I know, but I think that was old? It seemed some places were in the wrong location or something. maybe I am wrong though.

PhxPavilion
May 6, 2010, 12:18 AM
nm

glynnjamin
May 7, 2010, 2:32 PM
They were extending the overhanging shade structure on the pedestrian bridge. I thought they were going to be putting supports on both sides of the bridge for the awning but it looks like the supports are just on the north side and the awning is going to cover the walkway from the one side. It's a little odd but will probably look better when I see them done with it tonight.

Phxguy
May 13, 2010, 2:53 AM
This thead has slowed down, does anyone else have pics or updates of the site. I have recent pics of the site.

Phxguy
May 13, 2010, 3:06 AM
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s322/gwill10/Downtown%20Phoenix/DSCF0660.jpg

gymratmanaz
May 13, 2010, 4:49 AM
I stopped by on the way to the D-Backs game tonight. Lots of little work, nothing major, but lots of noticable progress. About 12 shirt and tie guys were going in and out of the PSP side...not sure what they were doing though.

Scaffolding is all up for the ceiling of the second story on the south side.

The halolights were cool tonight. It was mainly all orange with chasing lights of purple going around the Halo. It is fun to see the lights move!!!

Phxguy
May 13, 2010, 5:09 AM
I stopped by on the way to the D-Backs game tonight. Lots of little work, nothing major, but lots of noticable progress. About 12 shirt and tie guys were going in and out of the PSP side...not sure what they were doing though.

Scaffolding is all up for the ceiling of the second story on the south side.

The halolights were cool tonight. It was mainly all orange with chasing lights of purple going around the Halo. It is fun to see the lights move!!!

Of you check my pic in my post, is it any different? That was taken on May 7. Another thing, how do you post pics? I know a random question but I'm new on here.

PHXguyinOKC
May 13, 2010, 7:27 AM
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s...x/DSCF0660.jpg

do that but no spaces

gymratmanaz
May 13, 2010, 12:41 PM
Yes.

glynnjamin
May 13, 2010, 5:16 PM
I'll do my best to take some photos & video tonight before I run in the gym & before it gets dark.

Phxguy
May 14, 2010, 12:07 AM
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s322/gwill10/Downtown%20Phoenix/DSCF0662.jpg
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s322/gwill10/Downtown%20Phoenix/DSCF0666.jpg
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s322/gwill10/Downtown%20Phoenix/DSCF0672.jpg
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s322/gwill10/Downtown%20Phoenix/DSCF0664.jpg
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s322/gwill10/Downtown%20Phoenix/DSCF0697.jpg
Kinda blurry but the new tower is filling in the gap over the Phelps Dodge Center.

Vicelord John
May 14, 2010, 2:45 AM
M getting tired of this bitch being blue every evening.

Leo the Dog
May 14, 2010, 3:08 AM
Blue for blue skies...jk

gymratmanaz
May 14, 2010, 12:38 PM
I agree. Make it a different color each night of the week.... Like a calendar.
Monday - Blue
Tuesday - Green
Wednesday - Yellow
Thursday - Red
We could know what day of the week it was. LOL

glynnjamin
May 14, 2010, 2:22 PM
My guess is that it shows blue whenever the Dbacks lose...which is why it is always blue.

gymratmanaz
May 14, 2010, 2:32 PM
Lol!!!

Vicelord John
May 14, 2010, 2:39 PM
My guess is that it shows blue whenever the Dbacks lose...which is why it is always blue.

Whenever who loses?

RichTempe
May 14, 2010, 3:58 PM
Kinda blurry but the new tower is filling in the gap over the Phelps Dodge Center.

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/8762/image05132010182858.jpg

Here's another pic from the same angle that I took yesterday and isn't quite so blurry.

gymratmanaz
May 14, 2010, 5:08 PM
Cool picture! Love the clouds in the reflection!

Phxguy
May 15, 2010, 3:33 AM
very nice picture, do you have anymore pics of different angles on the tower and the construction site. I'll be headed that way this summer too take more.

RichTempe
May 15, 2010, 5:18 PM
very nice picture, do you have anymore pics of different angles on the tower and the construction site. I'll be headed that way this summer too take more.

Not recent ones. That pic was from a bunch I took just walking around downtown the other day. I have a few of the tower earlier in its construction, but I think similar pics have already been posted by others in this thread. If I get down there again, I'll make sure to get more of just the construction area.