PDA

View Full Version : HOUSTON | Development Thread II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132

weatherguru18
Mar 15, 2013, 2:17 AM
OK... what the hell building is that behind the Esperson Tower? There's no building that looks like that in that location.

As for Hines' proposal, it's going to happen and I wouldn't be surprised to see it go taller that 41 floors. Why? Because the rumored potential lease I've heard is for nearly 500,000 square feet. I'd think Hines would feel safer with more spec space on today's market than 300,000+.

Would love to see this one come in at 50 floors. Keeping fingers crossed.

The building directly behind Eperson is BG Place (MainPlace). You're just looking at the spine of it. That's all.

Shasta, I'm not sure where the 500,000 sq. ft. came from. The listed square footage of the building is 815,000 sq. ft. It was mentioned in the press release that the building will be 41-stories but ''perhaps taller.''

photoLith
Mar 15, 2013, 2:37 AM
Ok now looking at it next to main place it looks right at about 700 considering main place is about 630 I believe. Either way it will be a kick ass addition to the skyline and help fill in a huge lot along main and fill in the canyon.

Cory
Mar 15, 2013, 3:52 AM
Awesome tower! Anyone else notice the Apple Store at the base?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8249/8558003027_181e50b0fa_b.jpg

photoLith
Mar 15, 2013, 3:55 AM
An apple store downtown? Lol not at this point in time. I don't think that an apple logo, just a window that due to low resolution looks like the apple logo.

Cory
Mar 15, 2013, 3:56 AM
I don't think that an apple logo, just a window that due to low resolution looks like the apple logo.

I don't know...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8095/8558021133_d8fe4f011e_o.png

Shasta
Mar 15, 2013, 4:39 AM
An apple store downtown? Lol not at this point in time. I don't think that an apple logo, just a window that due to low resolution looks like the apple logo.

An Apple Store in the heart of downtown would make a KILLING. You'd be drawing the following folks;

1) Tens of thousands of office workers
2) Out of town visitors staying downtown (forgot to bring a charger?)
3) Residents from downtown, midtown, montrose, east side, etc...
4) Students at UHD, South Texas College of Law, HCC Central, UH, Rice, Tx Southern (all campus will be connecting by the rail to the new store)

It's also a destination type of store... exactly the kind downtown management is working on landing. Wouldn't be surprised if there's been some $$ enticement offered to Apple...

KevinFromTexas
Mar 15, 2013, 5:07 AM
MORE RENDERINGS!

http://p50400.ipscdn.com/uploads/monthly_03_2013/post-723-0-49559900-1363294997_thumb.jpg

http://p50400.ipscdn.com/uploads/monthly_03_2013/post-723-0-11098300-1363294950_thumb.jpg

Yeah, that's BG Group Place (Main Place) to the right. That building is 632 feet tall with 46 floors.

Judging the height of this is kind of tricky. In the image above it appears to be about 700 feet tall, but the better image I think is the one below which shows it to be not much taller than BG Group Place. In the image below it looks to be maybe 650 to 660 feet. Of course it's hard to say for sure because they have several different floor counts listed.

I would think a 48-story office tower would be around 680 feet, but it could be taller. That's only using the floor-to-floor heights for office towers from the 80s. Using more recent ones, comparing it to BG Place, it could be 660 feet. Using the 1500 Louisiana Street numbers, it would be 720 feet. 1500 Louisiana Street (former Enron II), is 600 feet with 40 floors.

Anyway, it's a great looking tower. It sort of reminds me of the Eighth Avenue Place tower in Calgary. By the way, this is a 581 foot office tower with 41 floors.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=198319

These two towers will do a lot to change the dynamic of Houston's skyline. I'm impressed.

photoLith
Mar 15, 2013, 2:25 PM
An Apple store could work downtown, but downtown needs to get cleaned up a lot. Look at where most Apple Stores are in cities. Usually in post hipster areas or rich suburban neighborhoods, or very busy CBDs like midtown Manhattan. Houstons downtown even at peak foot traffic during lunch hour is still very light due to the shit tunnel system. There would need to be more retail around before an Apple Store would come around. It would be awesome, but I just dont see it happening anytime soon. Houston Pavilions just right down the road is pretty much a retail failure. And from Houston Pavilions all the way to UHD along Main there is nothing but a few lunch type places and ghetto convenience stores. Yuppies dont like downtown, they stick to River Oaks, The Heights, Galleria Area, Montrose, etc. If a new Apple Store were to open up anywhere within the loop, the first place Id see one going in is Rice Village.

AviationGuy
Mar 16, 2013, 3:50 AM
An Apple store could work downtown, but downtown needs to get cleaned up a lot. Look at where most Apple Stores are in cities. Usually in post hipster areas or rich suburban neighborhoods, or very busy CBDs like midtown Manhattan. Houstons downtown even at peak foot traffic during lunch hour is still very light due to the shit tunnel system. There would need to be more retail around before an Apple Store would come around. It would be awesome, but I just dont see it happening anytime soon. Houston Pavilions just right down the road is pretty much a retail failure. And from Houston Pavilions all the way to UHD along Main there is nothing but a few lunch type places and ghetto convenience stores. Yuppies dont like downtown, they stick to River Oaks, The Heights, Galleria Area, Montrose, etc. If a new Apple Store were to open up anywhere within the loop, the first place Id see one going in is Rice Village.

How about Midtown? Not too familiar with it, but might that be a good place for one?

photoLith
Mar 16, 2013, 3:59 AM
^
Maybe around post mid town lofts but midtown is still pretty run down for the most part although that's changing.

Shasta
Mar 16, 2013, 5:32 AM

You really don't get it, do you?

Downtown Houston is a very busy CBD. Just because you don't see folks at noon walking by you when you're snapping photos doesn't mean they aren't there. The office buildings are packed. The court rooms are full. The class rooms at STCL and UHD are overflowing. The hotels are healthy (enough so that there are 3 more in the pipeline).

The Apple Store is a DESTINATION store. It doesn't matter where they build them; the people still come.

CB Jones
Mar 16, 2013, 6:24 AM
Any preliminary floor layouts posted?

photoLith
Mar 16, 2013, 2:06 PM
You really don't get it, do you?

Downtown Houston is a very busy CBD. Just because you don't see folks at noon walking by you when you're snapping photos doesn't mean they aren't there. The office buildings are packed. The court rooms are full. The class rooms at STCL and UHD are overflowing. The hotels are healthy (enough so that there are 3 more in the pipeline).

The Apple Store is a DESTINATION store. It doesn't matter where they build them; the people still come.

Dude chill out, the tower isnt even getting built yet and who knows if it ever will be. The Apple logo was probably just something the guy who made the render put in there for shits and giggles. So its silly arguing about a retail tenant in a tower that isnt even near getting built. I am just stating my opinion, and my opinion is that downtown Houston will not get an Apple store anytime soon.

Selasaur
Mar 16, 2013, 8:44 PM
Dude chill out, the tower isnt even getting built yet and who knows if it ever will be. The Apple logo was probably just something the guy who made the render put in there for shits and giggles. So its silly arguing about a retail tenant in a tower that isnt even near getting built. I am just stating my opinion, and my opinion is that downtown Houston will not get an Apple store anytime soon.

I agree that the Apple logo was probably thrown in there because it is easily recognizable, and it has the effect of indicating very quickly that there will be retail there. Dubious that they would already have a retail tenant signed on this early in the game. Whether or not the CBD is appropriate for an apple store is another issue.

AviationGuy
Mar 17, 2013, 4:14 AM

I do wish we could be a little more optimistic. Houston's a boomtown built on optimism.

Shasta
Mar 17, 2013, 6:16 AM
Yes, you stated your opinion. AND, I am stating mine; your opinion is stupid.

This is a great tower and it will get built. Hines doesn't mess around. I don't know if there will be retail on street level and if that retail might include an Apple Store, but to conclude that it won't because downtown Houston isn't a "post hipster area" or a "very busy CBD" is laughable. First, they don't make CBD much busier than Houston's. Secondly, I don't even know what a 'post hipster area" is...

photoLith
Mar 17, 2013, 4:57 PM
^
Your face is stupid, so there. na nee na nee boo boo.

Downtowns foot traffic except during lunch hour is pathetic at best. Dude, I lived right downtown for over a year, I think I know what Im talking about. You have your lunch crowd and thats about it and most of that traffic is in the tunnels. After work hours downtown is dead, except maybe the area around Discovery Green. Seeing as this tower would be a long distance for suburbanites to walk to from visiting Discovery Green I dont think an Apple Store will work there. Houston Pavilions has worked so well, take a walk around there, its 60 percent vacant if not more than that.

Selasaur
Mar 18, 2013, 3:55 AM
Yes, you stated your opinion. AND, I am stating mine; your opinion is stupid.

This is a great tower and it will get built. Hines doesn't mess around. I don't know if there will be retail on street level and if that retail might include an Apple Store, but to conclude that it won't because downtown Houston isn't a "post hipster area" or a "very busy CBD" is laughable. First, they don't make CBD much busier than Houston's. Secondly, I don't even know what a 'post hipster area" is...

I worked in the Houston Pavilions for over two years, and I can say that downtown retail is pretty much a ghost town for most of the day. It's true, there are a lot of people who work in the CBD, but most of them only venture out for lunch, and I learned the hard way that you can only capture so much (very little) business from people who are only shopping on their lunch breaks. Furthermore, given the almost boundless possibilities of Houston shopping, who would want to go Downtown to buy anything when there are copious alternatives with ample FREE parking? An apple store may be a destination store, but the spoiled car-happy shoppers in Houston avoid Downtown like the plague. It's true there are a lot of people who are connected to Downtown via public transit, but that simple fact does not mean that there will magically be legions of apple customers beating down the doors on a daily basis to buy apple products. But who knows, maybe there will be an apple store, either way, it seems beyond silly to me to argue a hypothetical to the point of juvenile name-calling.

Reverberation
Mar 18, 2013, 3:44 PM
^^ F*** yeah new building!!

Also noticed;
Two new towers at Bayou Manor (S. Braeswood near Stella Link).
http://brazostowers.com/

A new small retail building at Dunlavy and Westheimer. It isn't big but it looks good. Also, gotta love the Architect's unimaginative fake signage.
http://swamplot.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/1706-westheimer-retail-dwg.jpg

http://swamplot.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/1706-westheimer-site-plan.jpg
http://swamplot.com/the-commotion-at-the-corner-of-westheimer-and-dunlavy/2012-04-16/

Finally, according to the prophetic words of Nancy Sarnoff, Skyhouse has broken ground. Those guys don't play.

toxteth o'grady
Mar 18, 2013, 7:53 PM
From the Chron - and Metrostudy:

Mapping the new office construction
(http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2013/03/mapping-the-new-office-construction/)

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/files/2013/03/Officemap.jpg

toxteth o'grady
Mar 18, 2013, 8:01 PM
Shasta, I'm not sure where the 500,000 sq. ft. came from.

I think that's the space the potential tenant wants to rent. There will probably be others.

Having a building half-leased that won't be delivered before 2016 means a lot of tenants will still be going begging. But I think the need downtown will be residences. That will be followed by demand for retail. There's just too much traffic for anyone who works downtown to think of living all the way out in Katy.

toxteth o'grady
Mar 18, 2013, 8:08 PM
I do wish we could be a little more optimistic.

When I compare what's happening on the north side of Capitol Hill in DC with what's happening in Houston (or for that matter Dallas), I keep wondering why a city that added 120,000 jobs last year doesn't have more cranes on the skyline.

mfastx
Mar 18, 2013, 9:15 PM
^^ F*** yeah new building!!

Also noticed;
Two new towers at Bayou Manor (S. Braeswood near Stella Link).
http://brazostowers.com/

A new small retail building at Dunlavy and Westheimer. It isn't big but it looks good. Also, gotta love the Architect's unimaginative fake signage.
http://swamplot.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/1706-westheimer-retail-dwg.jpg

http://swamplot.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/1706-westheimer-site-plan.jpg
http://swamplot.com/the-commotion-at-the-corner-of-westheimer-and-dunlavy/2012-04-16/

Finally, according to the prophetic words of Nancy Sarnoff, Skyhouse has broken ground. Those guys don't play.

Imagine how much more walkable Houston would be if all retail inside the loop were built like this - storefront at the street, parking at the back.

AviationGuy
Mar 19, 2013, 3:16 AM
When I compare what's happening on the north side of Capitol Hill in DC with what's happening in Houston (or for that matter Dallas), I keep wondering why a city that added 120,000 jobs last year doesn't have more cranes on the skyline.

When I drive around Houston, I see construction all over the place. Maybe we're looking in different places, or maybe you're talking only about highrise construction?

TexasPlaya
Mar 19, 2013, 4:20 AM

Most of the cranes are at the Exxon campus in north Houston or along the Katy Freeway (I-10). This is a map by Metrostudy office construction from Swamplot: (http://swamplot.com/where-houstons-building-offices/2013-03-18/)

http://swamplot.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/office-development-map.jpg

Again, this is office space. Most of the residential cranes will be inside the loop near the gallera and west loop. There's probably about a dozen of apartment complexes and high rises under construction or about to be under construction.

TexasPlaya
Mar 19, 2013, 4:21 AM
Imagine how much more walkable Houston would be if all retail inside the loop were built like this - storefront at the street, parking at the back.

It all comes down to ordinances. First thing we need is to change the setback limits and parking requirements.

toxteth o'grady
Mar 19, 2013, 2:30 PM
Another day, another project. Hot off the HBJ newsfeed

Museum District office building breaks ground (http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2013/03/joint-venture-to-break-ground-on.html)

TexasPlaya
Mar 19, 2013, 4:17 PM
Chron: Houston's downtown skyline to be reshaped 3 new towers on drawing boards due to shortage of office space
Read more: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Houston-s-downtown-skyline-to-be-reshaped-4364923.php#ixzz2O0FHYxHq

At least three new office towers are in the works for the area, including a sleek and soaring glass structure that commercial property developer Hines says it will break ground on early next year...One firm calculates the vacancy rate for the nicest space in downtown at 6.6 percent.

Consequently, rents for existing space are accelerating.

"I think development of a new building is inevitable," said Richard Rudd, president of Houston-based Allied Advisors, a commercial property brokerage and financial firm. "It just depends on which one gets kicked off first."

Double L
Mar 19, 2013, 7:49 PM
I love Houston's growth, I just wish the majority of it was concentrated downtown.

Complex01
Mar 19, 2013, 8:02 PM
Fancy news on the new towers. Cant wait to see what they look like.

:yes:

rdavis4559
Mar 19, 2013, 9:36 PM
I love Houston's growth, I just wish the majority of it was concentrated downtown.

I do not. Sometimes I travel to poorer countries such as Mexico, Belize and the Philippines. When I return to Houston, I always marvel at our many skylines and how many of these skylines are each larger in terms of population and/or square footage than the sizes of some of the cities (or countries) I had just visited. On top of that, some of our highways (individually, not collectively) are larger than the largest infrastrucutre projects in some of these places. All of this really makes me appreciate how large Houston is and how you can never be done exploring it. Sure, it would be an awesome skyline if Houston was one dense core but forcing everything into one big lump of property also has its downsides.

Double L
Mar 19, 2013, 9:47 PM
I want us to have a true downtown and if we didn't have so many edge cities without true urban environments on street level, then we would have a true downtown with an urban feel.

rdavis4559
Mar 20, 2013, 12:50 AM
oh well. I live three miles from downtown and enjoy being in an urban environment (i consider my area to be med center, rice village, west U, greenway, midtown, downtown). I know that is a lot but it is based off of where i live, where i work, where i get groceries, where my gyms are, where i go to watch movies, eat, etc) but i also am glad to know that there is so much more I can go see and do. Sure it would be nicer if there was less driving, traffic, and traffic lights involved you could accomplish that by squeezing everything together. I wouldn't mind things being somehwat more condensed but I'm not sure I would want Houston to be too dense.

Trae
Mar 20, 2013, 9:57 AM

Downtown will never get the majority of the growth. Houston's "downtown" or urban core will always be the western inner loop. I like the way these areas are developing. Give it another ten years and it really won't be recognizable. Plus, its not like the actual Downtown loop hasn't seen a lot of development.

ZKB9
Mar 20, 2013, 3:38 PM
Houston is an interesting city. To me, Houston feels like an area that's filled with small cities, rather than one giant city itself. Of course I'd prefer more density, but what's there isnt terrible and pretty unique.

Double L
Mar 20, 2013, 6:29 PM
Downtown will never get the majority of the growth. Houston's "downtown" or urban core will always be the western inner loop. I like the way these areas are developing. Give it another ten years and it really won't be recognizable. Plus, its not like the actual Downtown loop hasn't seen a lot of development.

The problem is that that is an auto-oriented, non-pedestrian, non-urban area. I would definitely like to see the growth concentrated elsewhere.

AviationGuy
Mar 20, 2013, 8:14 PM
The problem is that that is an auto-oriented, non-pedestrian, non-urban area. I would definitely like to see the growth concentrated elsewhere.

Maybe you could get more involved in planning activities, either as a paid job or as a volunteer. That way you could help turn your desires for the city into action.

Double L
Mar 20, 2013, 8:33 PM
Yeah, I've actually applied for several jobs downtown that I am currently waiting to hear back from and I love to politically volunteer. I usually volunteer for politicians running campaigns but if you know of any opportunities to volunteer to help downtown I'd love to hear about them.

AviationGuy
Mar 20, 2013, 8:50 PM
Yeah, I've actually applied for several jobs downtown that I am currently waiting to hear back from and I love to politically volunteer. I usually volunteer for politicians running campaigns but if you know of any opportunities to volunteer to help downtown I'd love to hear about them.

Will do. And political activism can be a good way to guide a city in certain directions, depending what level of politics it is.

If I ever move back to Houston, I would like to get involved in the many beautification efforts going on there. I don't know of many cities that make such an effort to plant trees and flowers all over the place, and I'd like to be part of that.

DanielG425
Mar 20, 2013, 10:48 PM
Has anyone heard anything about the Marriott marquis downtown recently?

rdavis4559
Mar 21, 2013, 12:39 AM
Will do. And political activism can be a good way to guide a city in certain directions, depending what level of politics it is.

If I ever move back to Houston, I would like to get involved in the many beautification efforts going on there. I don't know of many cities that make such an effort to plant trees and flowers all over the place, and I'd like to be part of that.

The city just planted what seems to me around 100 baby pines (couldn't realistically count all of them) in hermann park/hermann golf course to make up for all of the oaks and pines lost in the drought last year. Would definitely like to see more of that.

F G Gonzalez
Mar 21, 2013, 2:41 AM
Drove by the lot on, estimated address, 1121 Capitol St. Lot on Capitol, Fannin , San Jacinto and Rusk. A Crane was lowering a truck, the ones that drill the ground. One of the crew members said Texaco had bought the lot and will DEMO. Any news about that lot?

AviationGuy
Mar 21, 2013, 3:41 AM
The city just planted what seems to me around 100 baby pines (couldn't realistically count all of them) in hermann park/hermann golf course to make up for all of the oaks and pines lost in the drought last year. Would definitely like to see more of that.

I also heard that thousands of pines are being planted in Memorial Park. I hope there's some sort of watering program; otherwise, if we have another dry year, the planting program will be for naught.

TexasPlaya
Mar 21, 2013, 3:56 AM
Swamplot:APARTMENTS IN OLD HUMBLE OIL BUILDING DOWNTOWN TO GO THE WAY OF ITS HOTEL NEIGHBORS (http://swamplot.com/apartments-in-old-humble-oil-building-downtown-to-go-the-way-of-its-hotel-neighbors/2013-03-20/)

http://swamplot.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/main-humble-oil.jpg

...Presently, that tower at 914 Dallas St. holds 82 apartments. By 2015, reports Zucker, it will become a 166-room SpringHill Suites, joining the 191-room Courtyard and the 171-room Residence Inn — each of which is now dubbed a “Houston Downtown Convention Center” hotel.

photoLith
Mar 21, 2013, 4:06 AM
^
Are they talking about that 60s building, the white one?

TexasPlaya
Mar 21, 2013, 4:22 AM
^
Are they talking about that 60s building, the white one?

No. The way I understand it, there are 3 buildings on this block (in the foreground of the pic) that will soon all be hotels. Two of the buildings were converted into hotels in 2003 per the article ( I corrected my link).

TexasPlaya
Mar 21, 2013, 5:06 AM
Some interesting tidbits from Bis Now Real Estate Houston (http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/multifamily-monday-4-new-trends/)

On some more office coming to the inner loop, N. Montrose and Greenway Plaza:

...Both are inside the Loop, irreplaceable sites at major intersections (one on Allen Parkway and one in Greenway), so office developers were willing to pay up. Tim tells us one was user-driven, and one will be a spec office project...

"Infill projects are branching out":

...But now that hot areas like the Galleria and Midtown have mostly filled up, the fringes of the Inner Loop are seeing action. The Heights is busy, and a major developer announced a new project near Ninfa's in the East End...

On Montrose:

...tells us the submarket will deliver more apartment units this year than any other submarket in the country. In fact, the 3,770 units scheduled to hit the market outpaces the entire MSAs of Atlanta, Boston, San Jose, Orlando, and Nashville. But Jay says fundamentals may support it...

TexasPlaya
Mar 21, 2013, 5:13 AM
Some juicy rumors/news on downtown from a few folks in "da biz" on HAIF.

Essentially Chevron may build a campus in downtown. It already has/will lease 2.8 million sf downtown, but rumor has it the new campus will have 4 million sf. The additional sf will come from a new (rather large) building. Furthermore, improvements at street level would occur to promote connectivity among the building and surface lot(s) will be used as green space and retail for its employees.

Again these are rumors and/or proposals that have not been finalized/announced. They came from some reputable posters who don't work together but whose information matches one another. Take it for what it is worth.

photoLith
Mar 21, 2013, 1:30 PM
^
I take it that they would be talking about the lot where the old YMCA was right?

Tumbleweed_Tx
Mar 21, 2013, 6:42 PM
^^ yes

TexasPlaya
Mar 22, 2013, 6:00 AM
^
I take it that they would be talking about the lot where the old YMCA was right?

^^ yes

For the new skyscraper yes, but the insiders indicate there maybe more lots involved. As I said, if the rumors are true then Chevron wants a campus a feel in this part of downtown that would involve a lot of street level improvements along with green-space and more retail on additional lots.

Edit:

The powers to be seem to speculate this will be a tower that rises slightly under 50 stories. It would have bigger floorplans, much like newer towers, and would be slightly taller than BG Group Place and around the same height as the speculative Hines' tower.

oscarinhouston
Mar 23, 2013, 4:41 PM
BINGO!!! "City Beautification" I know, the city has bigger fishes to fry, but I think this would give it more appeal to houstonians and tourist, it would be a really good investment I think...

JoninATX
Mar 23, 2013, 5:20 PM
Swamplot:APARTMENTS IN OLD HUMBLE OIL BUILDING DOWNTOWN TO GO THE WAY OF ITS HOTEL NEIGHBORS (http://swamplot.com/apartments-in-old-humble-oil-building-downtown-to-go-the-way-of-its-hotel-neighbors/2013-03-20/)

http://swamplot.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/main-humble-oil.jpg

At first I thought they where going to demolish that building, and if they had I would have chewed the city of Houston out, but Im glad that wasn't the case. :yes:

toxteth o'grady
Mar 25, 2013, 8:52 PM
Another new building in the Woodlands (http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2013/03/stream-realty-to-break-ground-on.html)

Von
Mar 28, 2013, 7:03 PM
Underneath the steel skeleton of the Astrodome, some grass and trees can be planted that can serve three purposes.
BY WHITNEY RADLEY
03/27/2013

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/03-27-13-a-new-astrodome-idea-strip-the-dome-to-its-skeleton-and-put-a-park-underneath-the-remains/

Double L
Mar 28, 2013, 7:09 PM
I've always loved the Astrodome. I love its space age architecture and it is the closest thing to a world landmark we have; being the worlds first domed stadium. Unfortunately, keeping the Astrodome, is very unpopular in Houston right now.

Double L
Mar 28, 2013, 7:11 PM
At first I thought they where going to demolish that building, and if they had I would have chewed the city of Houston out, but Im glad that wasn't the case. :yes:

I'm still disappointed, a residence is much better than a hotel.

toxteth o'grady
Mar 29, 2013, 8:43 PM
I've always loved the Astrodome. I love its space age architecture and it is the closest thing to a world landmark we have; being the worlds first domed stadium. Unfortunately, keeping the Astrodome, is very unpopular in Houston right now.

I don't sense that it's unpopular; just that it's a space that can be torn down for a lot less money than it takes to rehab. And the only thing it seems useful for is sporting events and large conferences.

Westbury Square also has a history, but it's been allowed to go so far to rot that it may impossible to rehab.

Syndic
Mar 29, 2013, 10:01 PM
Hey guys. Lifelong Astros fan from Austin here. I'm so pumped for opening day!

In response to the picture of Minute Maid Park below posted on another forum, I mentioned that the view is not scenic enough and needs more highrise buildings outside out the stadium. Someone then responded, saying that there's a 25-story building under construction right now just outside the stadium that will be visible just over left field. Is this true? If so, what building is it and where exactly is it located?

Also, are there any more projects in the works for this area? I'd love to see Houston have a very scenic view like some other cities do. It might help with attendance and maybe it will get them to take down that stupid, ugly structure with all of the billboards on it.

http://i.imgur.com/L8DH7QP.jpg

Shasta
Mar 31, 2013, 7:17 AM
There is a project going up right across the outfield wall, but it will only be 7 stories tall. It's going to be a massive Finger Co. apartment building spanning two blocks with some ground floor retail thrown in.

The 20+ story residential tower (Skyhouse, similar to the one going up in Austin) is about 15 blocks South of Minute Maid.

Syndic
Mar 31, 2013, 10:27 PM
Ah, okay. That's not so bad. It will look cooler if there's shorter buildings in front and taller buildings behind.

N90
Apr 2, 2013, 7:59 AM
There's some major infill going on. Love the Hines building.

N90
Apr 3, 2013, 9:26 AM
I'm so very obsessed with infill. INFILL, BABY, INFILL. Hah, anyhow here's an update.

Seventeen15 Enclave
http://media.bizj.us/view/img/156041/seventeen15-apartments-building-rendering*550.jpg
http://media.bizj.us/view/img/156041/seventeen15-apartments-building-rendering*550.jpg
Houston-based Allen Harrison Co. broke ground this week on a multifamily property near the Energy Corridor area.

The company currently owns Chalfonte, an existing 86-unit property adjacent to the development site, and plans to remodel the existing units and add 120 new units, all rebranded under the name Seventeen15 Enclave. The property will be Class A, offering one- and two-bedroom floor plans ranging from 733 to 1,205 square feet.
Then there's another one too.

Muse Museum District:
http://swamplot.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/muse-rendering.jpg
http://swamplot.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/muse-rendering.jpg
Partners Dallas-based Behringer Harvard Multifamily Real Estate Investment Trust and Trammell Crow Residential recently began construction of a multifamily community on a 2.9-acre site near the Montrose area and the Museum District.

The property, called the Muse Museum District, is just west of the intersection of Richmond Avenue and Montrose.
Link to both here: http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2013/04/mutlifamily-is-heating-up-in-april.html

The only thing that makes me sad is when they tear things down to build things. Houston has an ample amount of surface parking or wide open spaces in general that it can use to build these things first and then when they max out tear stuff down to fill in more. Aghhhh.

N90
Apr 3, 2013, 9:29 AM
DCT Airtex Industrial Center:
http://www.bisnow.com/testzz/writer/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/DCT-Airtex-Industrial-Center-Rendering.jpg
http://www.bisnow.com/testzz/writer/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/DCT-Airtex-Industrial-Center-Rendering.jpg
DCT Airtex Industrial Center is in the ground near Airtex and I-45 and will deliver in Q3. DCT regional VP Justin Bennett (above, wearing a cowboy hard hat for the occasion) says the location is highly sought-after, and this property will have direct frontage and access to the highway and excellent signage opportunities, rare qualities for Class-A industrial developments. The building is tilt-wall and will feature substantial glass and canopies to dress up the entries and 180' truck courts on both sides.
Link here: http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/dct-launches-spec-the-deal-sheet/

N90
Apr 3, 2013, 9:40 AM
Memorial Hermann planning 3-4 buildings in Sugar Land, Katy, the Woodlands, and potentially in Pearland:
Memorial Hermann Health System will build three more medical office facilities across the Houston area, the Houston Business Journal has learned.

Chief Facility Services Officer Marshall Heins confirmed Tuesday that the system will build three 100,000-square-foot-buildings, one each at the campuses in Sugar Land, The Woodlands and Katy.

Heins said he expects to break ground in Katy and Sugar Land within the next 90 days.

In addition, Heins said the system is considering another medical office building on the 40-acre property it owns in Pearland. That building would be between 80,000 and 100,000 square feet, he said
Link: http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2013/04/02/memorial-hermann-to-build-four.html

TheArtofCuring
Apr 4, 2013, 12:15 AM
The Muse Museum District in addition to the six story building just down the street will make a nice impact on that section of Richmond.

With all the planned building on Richmond near Greenway Plaza/Kirby, someone must know something about the University Line that we dont!

Shasta
Apr 4, 2013, 4:21 AM
rumors in the Rice Village area are that Hanover will break ground on their 12 story apartment town on Morningside this summer. The original, mixed-use, midrise is opening in stages. Some residents are in already in on the side of the bldg facing Kelvin St. Zoe's Kitchen is also open. Other businesses slated to open on the ground floor include Cyclone Anaya's, Cloud Ten (a new ice cream joint from the chefs at Kota Robata), a day spa, a nw Italian restaurant, and an indie coffee shop. I toured the building today and it is a really nice rental building.

The 12 story tower will also be rental but will be uber high end with very large units. Got a glance at a rendering that revealed a lot of glass and steel. Totally different than most other apartment developments going up.

DanielG425
Apr 4, 2013, 4:50 AM
rumors in the Rice Village area are that Hanover will break ground on their 12 story apartment town on Morningside this summer. The original, mixed-use, midrise is opening in stages. Some residents are in already in on the side of the bldg facing Kelvin St. Zoe's Kitchen is also open. Other businesses slated to open on the ground floor include Cyclone Anaya's, Cloud Ten (a new ice cream joint from the chefs at Kota Robata), a day spa, a nw Italian restaurant, and an indie coffee shop. I toured the building today and it is a really nice rental building.

The 12 story tower will also be rental but will be uber high end with very large units. Got a glance at a rendering that revealed a lot of glass and steel. Totally different than most other apartment developments going up.

When are these renderings coming out? What more info do you have?

dgpatel
Apr 4, 2013, 8:59 PM
VYDHuSIRD9Q

Link (http://www.thevindicator.com/news/article_32120f06-9d4d-11e2-a39f-001a4bcf887a.html)for more info and source.

Von
Apr 5, 2013, 5:00 PM
Brindsen hinted that the company has parted ways with those tenants who didn't add to the long-term vision — a nod to Books-A-Million
http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/04-04-13-houston-pavilions-big-reveal-and-the-new-name-is/
http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/jessekat96/122b4f5c-3d7f-44a6-bd4e-543027e8f248_zpsbbdef1d8.jpg
BY WHITNEY RADLEY

ZKB9
Apr 5, 2013, 10:20 PM
http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/04-04-13-houston-pavilions-big-reveal-and-the-new-name-is/
http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/jessekat96/122b4f5c-3d7f-44a6-bd4e-543027e8f248_zpsbbdef1d8.jpg
BY WHITNEY RADLEY

I heard about this, it looks interesting. I'm new to Houston, so I dont really know, but why has it been considered ill fated since its opening a few years ago?

Wattleigh
Apr 6, 2013, 5:08 PM
VYDHuSIRD9Q

Link (http://www.thevindicator.com/news/article_32120f06-9d4d-11e2-a39f-001a4bcf887a.html)for more info and source.

Man, those are gonna get stolen fast.

The "Future Interstate Corridor" signs around Rosenberg have perennially been absent the I-69 shield since they went up around 2004-05 thanks to the desire to want that particular sign.

R1070
Apr 6, 2013, 9:06 PM
Man, those are gonna get stolen fast.

The "Future Interstate Corridor" signs around Rosenberg have perennially been absent the I-69 shield since they went up around 2004-05 thanks to the desire to want that particular sign.

I'm sure " I 69" is already getting some chuckles. hehe :D

DanielG425
Apr 6, 2013, 11:54 PM
Houston is doing it again. They're getting rid of the Renaissance Hotel to turn it not a DoubleTree, instead of keep a variety. I wish they could have just remodeled the Renaissance. Hopefully they make more hotels and another Renaissance.

oscarinhouston
Apr 7, 2013, 2:18 AM
WOW.... I just saw the Dallas Midtown Project and is huge, why can't Houston have something like that or even bigger and better? or do we have it already?

TexasPlaya
Apr 7, 2013, 2:26 AM
WOW.... I just saw the Dallas Midtown Project and is huge, why can't Houston have something like that or even bigger and better? or do we have it already?

I'll let Dallas keep it's vision for "gondolas" for it's midtown....Houston certainly has it's own pie in the sky project in it's own Midtown.

Personally, Houston's midtown is coming along nicely and people seem to underestimate the half dozen or so projects nearing completing or under construction.

Urbannizer
Apr 7, 2013, 5:10 AM
10 Waterway Avenue in The Woodlands - 20 story office building. New rendering, construction will begin once a tenant is found.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=3375

Syndic
Apr 7, 2013, 7:14 AM
Dallas's midtown project is a glorified shopping mall. I think it would be a disaster that would take decades to fix. The whole thing would be owned by one company (a company town) and it would be full of big box stores. You're better off without that. Trust me. It's not a real midtown. It's a faux-midtown.

trollinsomuch
Apr 7, 2013, 7:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRCwnD8oiLk

TexasPlaya
Apr 7, 2013, 7:47 PM
Downtown updates from Central Houston group (http://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2013-04-01/Downtown_Real_Estate_Update_2013-1Q.pdf):

It's a short and sweet and worth a read. Not much new on the office front, but it did put some numbers out for residential and hotel units. Seems we will have 1053 residential units coming online along with 1491 hotel units in the next 2-3 years. Also, confirms a new high school (for the visual and performing arts) will be built on a surface lot and will begin construction next year.

As you may remember, the downtown management district is giving rebates per unit in downtown up to I believe approximately 2000 units. Therefore, we are about half way there for developers to essentially receive money to put units in downtown.

R1070
Apr 7, 2013, 10:00 PM
Dallas's midtown project is a glorified shopping mall. I think it would be a disaster that would take decades to fix. The whole thing would be owned by one company (a company town) and it would be full of big box stores. You're better off without that. Trust me. It's not a real midtown. It's a faux-midtown.

Actually it will be developed by different people and there will be some shopping but more in the form of neighborhood amenities. I think the gondolas are a little unnecessary, but oh well. lol

Urbannizer
Apr 7, 2013, 10:05 PM
John Sealy Replacement Hospital in Galveston, taken today by me:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8119/8629561258_f1ca2d3ba6_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8406/8629558694_bf0694eb49_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8536/8629557850_6cc2a841e1_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8402/8628449423_08e2d849c5_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8380/8628473083_01368b065f_b.jpg

Galveston Intermodal Terminal:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8406/8628507707_9340f0260d_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8542/8629614450_1fd3c283bf_b.jpg

25th & Ave D, no idea what's going on here
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8248/8628509101_f89ec18e09_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8528/8629616580_3bb5274abb_b.jpg

TheArtofCuring
Apr 8, 2013, 3:09 PM

Dallas' "midtown" is about ~6 miles north of downtown. This project is in no way an addition to urban areas of Dallas. If this had been added to oak lawn, deep ellum, or maple area...it could have been incredible for density. This instead straddles a highway and is nothing but an urban amusement park.

toxteth o'grady
Apr 9, 2013, 6:17 PM
Also, confirms a new high school (for the visual and performing arts) will be built on a surface lot and will begin construction next year.

Had that been in place back in 1972, my commute to school would have been awful.:runaway: But it seems like a good location for the school. All it needs is a Metro stop.

toxteth o'grady
Apr 9, 2013, 6:18 PM
I'm sure " I 69" is already getting some chuckles. hehe :D

There was already an internet porn site by that name over a decade ago.

Urbannizer
Apr 9, 2013, 7:51 PM
http://assets.bizjournals.com/houston/news/Rida-proposedhotel-092512.JPG

All Systems Go for Downtown Hotel

An agreement to build a second convention center hotel downtown has been finalized, city officials announced today.

Documents were executed with Houston-based Rida Development Corp., which will build the 1,000-room hotel, a Marriott Marquis just west of the George R. Brown Convention Center. The city approved the project late last year.

“With this agreement, Rida can now begin work in earnest,” Mayor Annise Parker said in a statement. “It’s an exciting project that will help increase our convention business and generate more activity in downtown Houston.”

Financing for the $335 million project will come in part from Houston First, which operates the city’s arts and convention business. The agency is providing funds to buy the hotel site, build an adjacent parking garage and make other “related improvements” around the convention center.

Officials expect the hotel to be completed in 2016. Houston First said it will soon issue a request for qualifications for a garage developer.

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2013/04/all-systems-go-for-downtown-hotel/

toxteth o'grady
Apr 10, 2013, 9:08 PM
What is that pompadour on the top supposed to do for the building?

toxteth o'grady
Apr 12, 2013, 6:00 PM
Another medical campus goes up in Katy (http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2013/04/memorial-hermann-expands-katy-campus/)

Edg23
Apr 14, 2013, 6:34 PM
I don't have access to the full article ..

$500 million project would create Uptown transit corridor, improve Memorial Park
http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/20/77/60/4455469/9/premium_article_headline.jpg
An artist rendering of a reconstructed Post Oak Boulevard. Mayor Annise Parker today announced details of a plan that will provide funding for construction of a mass transit corridor on Post Oak Boulevard. The transit improvements include the widening of Post Oak Boulevard to allow for construction of bus rapid transit lanes within the median while still preserving six lanes of automobile traffic.

Read more: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/500-million-project-would-create-Uptown-transit-4427406.php#ixzz2QSp3xh5i

Urbannizer
Apr 19, 2013, 3:26 AM
Marriot Hotel - New Renderings
http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=3445

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=3447

Willowick Place
http://www.zieglercooper.com/images/proj1952.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3eEl3cA.jpg

Hanover Rice Village Phase II - 12-Story Residential
http://i.imgur.com/nS49PWl.jpg

JoninATX
Apr 20, 2013, 12:42 PM
Skyhouse Houston webcam :-)

http://oxblue.com/open/SkyHouseApartments

Btw there is a mobile white tower crane parked a few blocks the Skyhouse site?

weatherguru18
Apr 21, 2013, 12:36 PM
Houston to get its first 50-story tower in 30 years. It will be dubbed ''International Tower''

I said Lawd Jesus its a fire! I'm not sure how that sentence fits, but it does.

http://www.us.am.joneslanglasalle.com/ResearchLevel1/Houston%20Highlights_Q1_2013.pdf

Per the article, which is contradictory, says that a 925,000 sq. ft. 37-story tower will be developed by Stream Realty and Essex Commercial Properties. Yet it [the article] says it will be Houston's first 50-story tower in 30 years. So we'll see.

Rail Claimore
Apr 21, 2013, 4:29 PM
I have a somewhat strange feeling this is just the tip of the highrise iceberg. We'll see what the next few years hold.

Urbannizer
Apr 22, 2013, 2:40 AM
Andarko Tower II by bachanon (http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/25981-anadarko-tower-ii/?p=420521) and Boounce
(http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/25981-anadarko-tower-ii/?p=420479)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/v/912018_10200896037904303_1927986802_n.jpg?oh=8c4d8643887f8fdc4edcd2711d740420&oe=5176ECFA&__gda__=1366747602_4a2f112628de4f5615176f44d9834fef

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/v/912344_10200896030264112_2129529393_n.jpg?oh=501bfd50940fd29f9162689cbf7c23ca&oe=5176A112&__gda__=1366762612_35559e4a1d054006efb9aa0f5d30d09a

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/v/912327_10200896010263612_1989437698_n.jpg?oh=f3d79a063132113cfe390d8ed31b7ec4&oe=5176EA3D&__gda__=1366758043_c71458bca93c8445db082d0f19343926

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/spiz2.jpg

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/l6gkx.jpg

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/gt12u.jpg

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/xn7ug.jpg

Urbannizer
Apr 23, 2013, 1:37 AM
ExxonMobil campus construction photos:

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/21/12/57/4500464/5/960x595.jpg

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/21/14/03/4505853/3/960x595.jpg

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2013/04/new-photos-show-progress-on-exxon-mobil-campus/#11407-2

Construction for Hines apartment midrise begins in July
http://www.meekspartners.com/timthumb.php?src=/assets/galleries/129/original/Cafe-Adobe.jpg&w=1500&h=800&zc=1&q=100

http://www.abc13now.com/wap/news/text.jsp?sid=25&nid=591677322&cid=58&scid=-1&ith=3&title=Local+Headlines&headtitle=Local+Headlines

Double L
Apr 23, 2013, 4:57 AM
Does anybody know if they are moving forward with Springwoods Village? I hope they do, so the jobs from Exxon are sucked up by the planned community of Springwoods Village and the growth doesn't go to The Woodlands where it will ruin their planning and tree preservation because they never planned for that many jobs in the area.

TexasPlaya
Apr 23, 2013, 6:21 AM
Hanover Rice Village Phase Two: (http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/27428-hanover-rice-village-phase-ii-12-story-resi-only/)

toxteth o'grady
Apr 23, 2013, 12:36 PM
Houston to get its first 50-story tower in 30 years. It will be dubbed ''International Tower''

http://www.us.am.joneslanglasalle.com/ResearchLevel1/Houston%20Highlights_Q1_2013.pdf

Per the article, which is contradictory, says that a 925,000 sq. ft. 37-story tower will be developed by Stream Realty and Essex Commercial Properties. Yet it [the article] says it will be Houston's first 50-story tower in 30 years. So we'll see.

The JLL news sheet mentions three office towers downtown, which most observers seem to think may be a bit too ambitious. Everyone is still expecting the first office tower to break ground will be the only one built, but who knows? As for 50 stories versus 37, we'll have to see the promotional brochures and the renderings.

Meanwhile, I'm curious about the speculation on Bechtel. That's the first time their name has popped up in regard to a large build-to-suit.

toxteth o'grady
Apr 23, 2013, 12:38 PM
Hanover Rice Village Phase Two: (http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/27428-hanover-rice-village-phase-ii-12-story-resi-only/)

Is it a two-building development or is that first building already there?

TexasPlaya
Apr 23, 2013, 8:46 PM
Is it a two-building development or is that first building already there?

2 building development, phase 1 is the 5 story apartment to left.