PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Retail Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81

Taller Better
Dec 28, 2006, 3:49 PM
Plus-size clothing is a growing industry.

That is because people are "growing", too! ;)
I don't know about today, but Penningtons used to have a reputation of
having ugly, unstylish clothing.

someone123
Dec 28, 2006, 4:07 PM
Plus-size clothing is a growing industry.

The new post-holiday style:

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/bgully/homer-moomoo_t.gif

After the past couple of days I'll probably have to get one of those. I don't like hats, but I've always wanted a cape.

malek
Dec 29, 2006, 7:43 PM
Montreal's main kilt seller calls it quits despite booming business

Les Perreaux, Canadian Press

Published: Friday, December 29, 2006

MONTREAL (CP) - In the land of the ceinture flechee - the colourful sash of 19th-century French-Canadians that lives on in folklore, festivals and on Bonhomme Carnaval - Bryant Johnson's Scottish kilt shop sells a culture that seems foreign at first glance.

"A lot of my contemporaries in Toronto say, 'How does a guy sell kilts in Montreal?' " said Johnson, the proprietor and son in Chas Johnson and Son.
But the shop's success over the past 60 years, sitting in the shadow of Montreal's venerable Bay department store, reveals a slice of Quebec's long history and the mix of people who founded French Canada.

"The truth is that there's a lot of French-Canadians who have Scottish heritage going back to the Hudson's Bay Company," Johnson said in a recent interview.

In the 2001 census, some 180,000 Quebecers claimed some Scottish roots.
"They don't speak English, but they'll be walking by the door and they'll see scarves with their name on it," Johnson said.

"They'll come in, make inquiries, and go home to La Tuque or whatever. But they always come back."

They won't be coming back for long.

Soaring downtown property values and the irresistible allure of retirement will bring an end to another historic Montreal institution that reaches back to the city's colourful roots.

Johnson, 66, is shutting down his kilt shop and haberdashery and selling the choice downtown location off Phillips Square next spring.

With dress-down Fridays extending throughout the week now, Johnson's main business selling suits has steadily worn away. But the kilt business has never been better.

In Montreal and across Canada, Scots are reconnecting with their roots, taking up highland dancing and laying out thousands for Scottish dress items.

It starts with the woollen kilt, but other popular items include the tam-o'-shanter bonnet worn at a jaunty angle atop the noggin and the manly carry-all purse known as the sporran.

Valeta Roach, the owner of Scottish Imports in Edmonton, says she's doing a booming business renting kilts for special occasions.

"I wonder if baby boomers are getting on, and wanting to explore their roots a bit more," Roach said.

"A lot are now a bit older and have a bit more disposable income, we're getting into our heritage in a big way."

Pop culture has also played a role in popularizing all things Scottish, with comedians and characters playing on the brogue and distinctive dress to varying degrees of effectiveness.

"I get lots of fellows in looking through my consignment rack of men's kilts around Halloween, Robbie Burns Day and St. Patrick's," said Roach.
"They look at the price and then go look at the consignment of ladies' walking kilts which are half the fabric and half the price."

But it's not just a frivolous passing interest for many. Several people a day swallow the steep price tag for their own tartan at Johnson's shop, where kilts start at $1,000 and can soar from there.

He orders the tartan specific to the regions and clans of Scotland. He has a crew of kilt makers who sew them to exacting standards.

Tailoring a proper kilt is more complicated than it might seem. Many kilt makers require four measurements to make them, including the distance from the waistline to the widest part of the hips.

Manufacturing follows complicated formulas of thread counts and colour combinations to match traditional tartans associated with families, regions and military units.

Even ironing is not simple, with different pleating options which follow exact instructions.

"It's all done by hand, there is no mass production," said tailor Jimmy Betancourt, sitting at a sewing machine in the basement of Johnson's shop, impeccably dressed in a three-piece suit.

Betancourt has sewn suits and kilts for Johnson since 1976. Like the dozen other experts in kilts and men's clothing at Johnson's shop, he's not sure what comes next.

Like the others, he might start his own shop. They might all band together to open another shop similar to Johnson's operation.

"But first, we're all going to take a big break," said Betancourt.
© The Canadian Press 2006

Taller Better
Dec 29, 2006, 8:08 PM
Damn. Where am I gonna get my kilts now?

The Scottish have a long and proud history in Montreal, as is evident in much
of the architecture (witness the Seagram building- so called Scottish Baronial style). I'm not at all surprised to hear
there is a kilt maker there.

SpongeG
Dec 29, 2006, 10:00 PM
reitmans is bland at best

neilson
Dec 29, 2006, 10:25 PM
Is Reitman's like Cato?

http://www.catofashions.com/

Taller Better
Dec 29, 2006, 10:49 PM
Reitman's is for little old ladies, isn't it?

crooked rain
Dec 29, 2006, 10:52 PM
I think they focus more on middle aged working women. Seems like reasonable priced clothes made for ladies who work at offices.

LordMandeep
Dec 30, 2006, 2:05 AM
in the US i noticed that every single piece of clothing had soooo many XL and XXL sizes. In canada you see maybe one or two XL for every style of clothes. There is was everything medium and above.

neilson
Dec 30, 2006, 2:56 AM
I think they focus more on middle aged working women. Seems like reasonable priced clothes made for ladies who work at offices.

Yeah that's what Cato is like. You did click on the link I posted right?

malek
Dec 30, 2006, 3:54 AM
in the US i noticed that every single piece of clothing had soooo many XL and XXL sizes. In canada you see maybe one or two XL for every style of clothes. There is was everything medium and above.

it depends from where the cloth is coming from.

European clothes have some XXL but they're not even XL by NA standards.

North American clothing are made for bigger size and for a good reason too :)

Plus15
Dec 31, 2006, 12:10 AM
The first H&M in the Lower Mainland will be at Coquitlam Centre...strange choice. Now hiring for Fall 2007 opening.

Kilgore Trout
Dec 31, 2006, 7:10 AM
MONTREAL (CP) - In the land of the ceinture flechee - the colourful sash of 19th-century French-Canadians that lives on in folklore, festivals and on Bonhomme Carnaval - Bryant Johnson's Scottish kilt shop sells a culture that seems foreign at first glance.

only if you know absolutely nothing about montreal's history. scots played a huge role in building montreal. molson, redpath, mcgill --- these are all scottish names.

mezzanine
Dec 31, 2006, 5:26 PM
The first H&M in the Lower Mainland will be at Coquitlam Centre...strange choice. Now hiring for Fall 2007 opening.

This is news... Source?

CMD UW
Dec 31, 2006, 5:47 PM
I think it is wise of Reitmans and Smartset, etc... to stay out of the States. Let's face it, their clothing is not very attractive, that is why they are trying to appeal to women who don't care about fashion or about the way they look.
They are kind of the Marks Work Wearhouse of women's clothing.
No, they are not. They offer womens clothing at a mid-level price range ~ think work clothes and soccer mom outfits. You must admit their commercials are quite good.

Taller Better
Dec 31, 2006, 5:53 PM
What ever happened to the two old trailer trash clothing stores:
Randy River and Susy Shier? They gave new meaning to "low end".
I wonder how Le Chateau is being affected by H&M and Zara?

SpongeG
Dec 31, 2006, 11:16 PM

cool

they opened one of the first Old Navys there - as well as i think it had the first East Side Marios...

caoquitlam centre is big and gets a lot of business - westwood plateau has a large asian population as well as people with money

Plus15
Dec 31, 2006, 11:19 PM
This is news... Source?

Monster.ca

SpongeG
Dec 31, 2006, 11:23 PM
according to a google "H&M Coquitlam" search a bunch of returns come up from monster jobs looking for a store manager for H&M coquitlam...

SpongeG
Dec 31, 2006, 11:40 PM
i am guessing it will go where the old Coast Mountain Sports was located - its quite a large spot to fill since CMS relocated to a new spot

SSLL
Jan 1, 2007, 12:27 AM
Also on the site and Working.com for new H&M:

Downtown Toronto (NEW STORE OPENING FALL 2007!)
(On Queen West)
Newmarket (NEW STORE OPENING FALL 2007!) Newmarket
(Upper Canada Mall)
Edmonton (NEW STORE OPENING SPRING 2007!) Edmonton
(West Edmonton Mall)
Calgary (NEW STORE OPENING SPRING 2007!) Calgary
(Market Mall)
Dix30 (NEW STORE OPENING SPRING 2007!) Montreal
(Quartier Dix30 Power Centre)

IntotheWest
Jan 2, 2007, 5:26 AM
Does anyone from Edmonton know when Ruths Chris opened up in downtown? I'm actually a little surprised a US chain priding itself in USDA Prime would open in Alberta (though, it's still not bad).

What building is it in?? Their website talks of being in a historic bank?

Hardhatdan
Jan 2, 2007, 5:43 AM
Does anyone from Edmonton know when Ruths Chris opened up in downtown? I'm actually a little surprised a US chain priding itself in USDA Prime would open in Alberta (though, it's still not bad).

Its in the WTC bldg here, which is the old bank bldg on the corner of Japser and 101 st. Its been open a few months and actually made their only exception ever and server US beef as well as Alberta Beef at the Edmonton location. Its very nice and is located on the main floor and in the basement and I believe incorporates the old bank vault into the restaurant.

ibz
Jan 2, 2007, 5:54 AM

Oh HHD beat me to it. Great location though for such a restaurant.

SHOFEAR
Jan 2, 2007, 6:10 AM
Here is the building Ruths Chris is in, World Trade Center of Edmonton

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/drybrain/8d8e6285.jpg

Kilgore Trout
Jan 2, 2007, 6:47 AM
Also on the site and Working.com for new H&M:

Downtown Toronto (NEW STORE OPENING FALL 2007!)
(On Queen West)
Newmarket (NEW STORE OPENING FALL 2007!) Newmarket
(Upper Canada Mall)
Edmonton (NEW STORE OPENING SPRING 2007!) Edmonton
(West Edmonton Mall)
Calgary (NEW STORE OPENING SPRING 2007!) Calgary
(Market Mall)
Dix30 (NEW STORE OPENING SPRING 2007!) Montreal
(Quartier Dix30 Power Centre)

H&M is opening a new store in brossard? that makes for six locations in the montreal area but not a single one downtown. i thought H&M made a habit of opening flagship downtown locations? i can't possibly see how the south shore could serve a bigger market than ste. catherine street.

malek
Jan 2, 2007, 12:03 PM
they'll have to find a big enough location first downtown before opening.

talking about spaces on st-catherine, ever noticed that "booth" with a guy selling perfumes? He's just standing there with no space to walk and he turns around to get his stuff?

I was talking with the guy and I asked him how much for the rent. 2000$ a month!! And he was very happy and said its not expensive because of the sales he's generating!!

Taller Better
Jan 2, 2007, 8:09 PM
I was always curious why there is no H&M downtown in Montreal. I would have thought there are plenty of spaces big enough.

IntotheWest
Jan 2, 2007, 9:36 PM
Its in the WTC bldg here, which is the old bank bldg on the corner of Japser and 101 st. Its been open a few months and actually made their only exception ever and server US beef as well as Alberta Beef at the Edmonton location. Its very nice and is located on the main floor and in the basement and I believe incorporates the old bank vault into the restaurant.

Great! I've tried a couple times in the US, but still walk away prefering Alberta's Prime (AAAA - of which there are only 3-4 restaurants in Canada that serve it) to USDA's corn-finished Prime...so, I'll have to try it in Edmonton next time I'm up there. Given some of the other stores Edm has over Calgary right now, I might have to make that trip soon!

SSLL
Jan 3, 2007, 2:25 AM
H&M is opening a new store in brossard? that makes for six locations in the montreal area but not a single one downtown. i thought H&M made a habit of opening flagship downtown locations? i can't possibly see how the south shore could serve a bigger market than ste. catherine street.

I think they'd want something flagship-ish. Not that many spots on Ste-Catherine for that at the moment, I guess. The second store in Toronto (and fifth and soon-to-be-sixteenth?) were are downtown.

Taller Better
Jan 3, 2007, 4:26 AM
I think they'd want something flagship-ish. Not that many spots on Ste-Catherine for that at the moment, I guess. The second store in Toronto (and fifth and soon-to-be-sixteenth?) were are downtown.

I sincerely doubt there are no openings on Ste Catherines for a shop like H&M. It is not that big a store... just needs a simple two storey space, and space is not at that great a premium downtown that nothing is available. They must have done some marketing and found the malls to be more attractive. Trust me, H&M are no amateurs in hunting down spots. They are fighting to get onto the Champs Elysees just now in Paris.

habsfan
Jan 3, 2007, 2:57 PM
i can't possibly see how the south shore could serve a bigger market than ste. catherine street.

Well, seeing as parking costs downtown are going up again(to park on the street, it will now cost you 3$ per hour) This will just drive customers away.

Hey, i live on the south shore, and i almost never do my shopping downtown. Now that Dix30 is open, i'll be heading downtown even less for my shopping!

malek
Jan 3, 2007, 3:09 PM
I friggin hate carrefour laval, i do almost all of my cloth shopping downtown because i find stuff at The Bay downtown that I can't find elsewhere (and without doing 4499 stores).

Parking at 3$ is now a big issue, and most importantly till 9pm every night of the week! This means that I can't go to night school without paying 9$ every night plus having to get out after "exactly" two hours so I don't overpay.

SpongeG
Jan 4, 2007, 12:34 AM
Safeway to close Portage la Prairie store
Canada Safeway is closing its grocery store in Portage la Prairie after 75 years of operation in the south-central Manitoba city, saying it's no longer economically viable.

The closure, slated for Feb. 3, will affect 11 full-time and 38 part-time employees. Safeway spokesman John Graham said those employees will have the option to continue working for the company at one of its Winnipeg locations.

"We'd been struggling at that location for a few years now, with a poor site location, really a dated facility," Graham said Tuesday.

"It just simply became no longer economically viable to operate at this store any longer."

Graham said the company had considered building a new store to replace its aging facility.

"When we looked at the numbers as far as the millions of dollars that it would take to build a new location — and the fact that there's new competition that would reduce the amount of sales we could be able to grow — we felt that it wouldn't be possible to make a real good go of Portage in the future," he said.

The Portage store closure means 34 Safeway stores remain open in Manitoba.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2007/01/03/safeway.html

Plus15
Jan 4, 2007, 12:42 AM
Apple store officially signs lease for space at Chinook Centre...Reitman's is getting the boot. First Western Canadian store.

http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/12/30/chinook-center-progress/

SpongeG
Jan 4, 2007, 1:16 AM
wow i didn't know there 5 apple stores already in canada - where are they?

miketoronto
Jan 4, 2007, 1:24 AM
H&M opened their suburban stores in Toronto first, before opening the downtown flagship.
I am sure Montreal will get a downtown store sometime.

Also who cares. Downtown Montreal has tons of stores you can' tget in the burbs that are unique and way better. Who would shop in a suburban mall when you got downtown Montreal. :)

I like how H&M did it in Toronto though. THe H&M at the mall near me only has ladies stuff, and alimited selection. So if you want menswear, or the largest selection of ladieswear, plus kids, you gotta go downtown to the three floor flagship :)

More stores have to do that, in making the suburban stores more crappy and making the downtown one the best.

To be honest I don't get all the hype with some of these chains. I never shop at H&M as I find their stuff not really that great in terms of quality, and the prices are not that cheap.

I can go over to THE BAY and get high quality stuff on sale, for the same prices of the cheap crap you get at H&M.

I think alot of these stores just make money off the hype they make. Not how great their stuff is.

Downtown Montreal has SIMONS which is millions times better then H&M.

SpongeG
Jan 4, 2007, 2:10 AM
H&M has a fashionista following - its all based on hype

I went to the store in london uk years ago and it was packed and for london it was pretty cheap - 5 pounds for a sweater - 3 for a t-shirt

i went to the one in san francisco last year and it was packed too and quite cheap but not as cheap as one might be lead to believe

quality wise it seemed like the stuff you get at le chateau

i never bothered buying anything - probably won't shop there even when it finally does open up here - but its a fun store to walk around - everyone seems so giddy when they are shopping

mersar
Jan 4, 2007, 2:35 AM
I'm trying to figure out where at Market Mall the H&M is going? While I don't go into the mall that often, I can't think of either a space thats large enough for what I'd imagine they would need, nor any of stores that may leave to make way for them.

LordMandeep
Jan 4, 2007, 5:14 AM
H and M is now a regular store. There are like 3 of them near me in the middle of Suburbia.

Nothing to get happy about.

Apple has one store in Yorkdale and its one busy place, man that store is always packed. Damn morons flocking like sheep to apple's Ipod... :jester:

However the H and M at Yorkdale and the Eaton centre are quite good just like the one on 34th street in New York.

Taller Better
Jan 4, 2007, 5:40 AM
[QUOTE=miketoronto;2544662]
To be honest I don't get all the hype with some of these chains. I never shop at H&M as I find their stuff not really that great in terms of quality, and the prices are not that cheap. [QUOTE]

It is quite simple, Mike. All about price points. H&M carries current knock-off styles (stock is completely rotated every month or so and styles are copied from original designers on the runway, and put out for sale within a month and a half, all over the world.) at the cheapest price point possible. Cheaper and MUCH more current/stylish than Le Chateau for the same low-end market. So why is there so much difficulty understanding the hype behind H&M? Cheap and cheerful knock-off European design. Makes perfect sense to me why it is being "hyped". Quality has nothing to do with it when you are paying $9 for a hat. You don't really want to wear that cowboy hat for four seasons, anyhow. It is a form of disposable accessories, not investing a lot of money in good clothing that will last a lifetime.
H&M and Zara stores are pretty much the same the world over.

Claeren
Jan 4, 2007, 8:43 AM
I'm trying to figure out where at Market Mall the H&M is going? While I don't go into the mall that often, I can't think of either a space thats large enough for what I'd imagine they would need, nor any of stores that may leave to make way for them.

I think it is taking up some combination of space from the former women's clothier 'Dynamite' and their neighbour, Le Chateau.

The Dynamite store is already closed down and under reno's as of this week.

Claeren.

SSLL
Jan 7, 2007, 6:17 PM
Apple Stores in Canada: Toronto (Yorkdale, Eaton Centre, Sherway Gardens) and Carrefour Laval.

Menswear is available in more than just the downtown H&M flagship stores. Pickering Town Centre, Yorkdale, Oakville Place, Vaughan Mills, Dufferin Mall, and Fairview Mall also have menswear.

LordMandeep
Jan 7, 2007, 8:06 PM
Bramlea city centre in Brampton has it as well.

SpongeG
Jan 8, 2007, 4:31 AM
CompuSmart Launches Canada's First Retail iPod Exchange Program
MONTREAL, QUEBEC--(CCNMatthews - Jan. 5, 2007) - CompuSmart, a major national full-service technology retailer, announced today that it will launch an iPod exchange program in its Montreal, Toronto and Ottawa stores in partnership with U.S.-based NextWorth Solutions.

The new program, the first of its kind in Canada, enables iPod owners to exchange their older models for newer ones. "This is a great way for people to upgrade their iPods without losing their original investment," said CompuSmart president Jeffrey Hart. "Even if you recently purchased a new iPod and also have an older model, you can trade in the older one for immediate credit toward any product sold by CompuSmart."

Customers can simply bring in their old iPod and any original iPod accessories to a participating CompuSmart store. A CompuSmart sales person will value their iPod on the spot with a real-time pricing calculator developed and successfully executed in the United States by NextWorth Solutions. The customer will then receive instant credit towards a new iPod or any other product offered by CompuSmart.

"NextWorth is known for its hassle-free iPod trade-in service," said Dave Chen, CEO of NextWorth. "We're extremely pleased to extend The Great iPod Exchange TM internationally to a premiere retailer like CompuSmart. With this launch, we are extending our reach into Canada and providing a valuable service for CompuSmart's customers."

CompuSmart will initially introduce the iPod exchange program at its stores in Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto, and expects to expand to its other stores across Canada throughout the year.

http://www.ccnmatthews.com/news/releases/show.jsp?action=showRelease&searchText=false&showText=all&actionFor=629588

SpongeG
Jan 8, 2007, 4:37 AM
Apple retail commitment, headcount surge over 55 percent
With its total store lease commitments fast approaching $1 billion, Apple Computer has no plans to slow development of its extremely successful retail segment and will utilize approximately $360 million in capital expenditures during the 2007 fiscal year to facilitate new store openings.

That represents an 80 percent increase over fiscal 2006, when it spent $200 million to open 41 new retail stores, including a total of 10 international stores in the U.K., Japan, and Canada. During that same time, the company's total retail lease commitments also rose from $609 million to $887 million.

Since its inception in 2001, Apple has spent over $729 million on its retail store strategy, including the construction of eight elaborate "high-profile" or flagship locations that function as vehicles for general corporate marketing, corporate events, and brand awareness.

By the end of its 2006 fiscal year on September 30, the Cupertino, Calif.-based company operated 165 locations comprised of more than 1.2 million square feet of retail space. Included in that mix are 147 stores in the U.S. and a total of 18 additional stores spread across Canada, Japan, and the U.K. That compares to 124 open stores as of September 24, 2005 and 86 open stores as of September 25, 2004.

The fastest chain in the history of retail to reach the $1 billion mark for sales, Apple's retail segment continued to reflect phenomenal growth during fiscal 2006. Net sales increased by 43 percent to $3.4 billion compared to 2005, including an increase in Macintosh unit sales of 45 percent to nearly 900,000 units.

With an average of 142 stores open during fiscal 2006, average revenue per store also increased to $23.6 million compared to $22.4 million during 2005 and $15.6 million in 2004. Apple attributed the increase in sales to "strong sales of Macintosh portable and desktop products, iPods, and other music related products and services."

"Sales of iPods increased primarily due to the introduction of the updated iPod with video-playing capabilities in October 2005 and the iPod nano during September 2005," Apple said in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. "Macintosh portable and desktop sales increased due to strong sales of the Intel-based MacBook, MacBook Pro, and iMac."

The increased traffic at company stores also sparked a more than 57 percent rise in retail employee headcount, as Apple added 2,114 to its store staff during fiscal 2006, bringing the total to approximately 5,787. That's more than a quarter of the company's employee base, which as of September 30, 2006 was estimated at 17,787 full-time equivalent employees and an additional 2,399 temporary equivalent employees and contractors.

Among the many forthcoming Apple retail outfits slated for 2007 are the first two retail stores in Scotland, and new flagship locations in both Paris and New York City.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2347

so there are 4 in canada now - and 1 planned for Calgary and 10 more for the next year - i wonder how many Canada will get of those 10 - 1 for Vancouver? 1 for edmonton?

SpongeG
Jan 8, 2007, 4:40 AM
Foreign firms on Canadian soil outdo homegrown companies
OTTAWA - Foreign-owned firms in Canada outpaced domestic companies by a wide margin last year in pumping money into productivity-enhancing investments, Statistics Canada reported Thursday.

That's a reversal of earlier this decade, when domestic-owned firms were increasing their investments in new machinery, equipment, and buildings at twice the pace of foreign-owned firms.

It's too early to say whether the reversal is the start of a trend, said Statistics Canada analyst Irfan Hashmi.

However, if it were, it would not bode well for the relative future productivity performance of domestically owned firms.

Such investments are seen as the key to boosting productivity, and the productivity growth of domestic firms already trails that of their foreign-owned competitors here.

The former federal Liberal government blamed Canada's lagging productivity on a lack of private-sector investment in new machinery and equipment, which businesses in turn have blamed on Canada's relatively high tax burden.

Business groups have called for faster tax write-offs in the upcoming budget to encourage them to boost such investment.

And the Conservative government has promised to cut taxes on new business investment to the lowest of the major Group of Seven industrial nations.

Last year, foreign-controlled firms in Canada recorded double-digit investment growth of 10.7 per cent to $53.87 billion, propelled by investment in mining and oil and gas extraction, retail trade, and manufacturing. Meanwhile, investment by domestic firms rose 7.4 per cent to $153.2 billion.

American-controlled establishments accounted for nearly 70 per cent of the foreign investment, while German-owned firms were a distant second, accounting for just 6.6 per cent, and then Japanese firms at 5.6 per cent.

American-controlled investment amounted to nearly $37.5 billion in 2006, up 7.9 per cent from 2005.

Foreign firms accounted for 43.4 per cent of total investment in the Northwest Territories, the highest proportion in the nation, followed by 39.1 per cent in Newfoundland and Labrador, 31.8 in Nova Scotia, and 28.2 in Ontario.

Two provinces, Ontario and Alberta, and three industries - mining and oil and gas extraction, finance and insurance, and manufacturing - accounted for nearly two-thirds of all the foreign capital investment.

In the struggling manufacturing sector, robust investment growth among foreign-controlled firms continued, in sharp contrast with the lacklustre investment by domestic firms, whose investment growth has been flat.

Earlier research has shown that foreign-owned manufacturing firms operating in Canada, especially American ones, are more productive on balance than domestic companies, and over the past two decades have accounted for most of the productivity growth in the Canadian economy.

``This is because foreign-controlled plants and firms are also more innovative, more technologically advanced, and more likely to perform research and development,'' Statistics Canada said in a report earlier this decade.

Meanwhile, last year there was a 36.4 per cent surge in foreign retail investment, much of which was in the construction or expansion of stores, while domestic retailers increased their investment by just four per cent. In the mining and oil and gas extraction industry, investment by domestic firms slowed, while investment by foreign firms accelerated.

http://www.canada.com/topics/finance/story.html?id=c0adfb1d-1941-49d5-8b8d-b8192528ffd4&k=81358

Straight_Six
Jan 11, 2007, 5:40 AM
they'll have to find a big enough location first downtown before opening.

Athlete's world in Place Montreal Trust just closed down and that place was
originally 2 or 3 huge floors perfect location, but Zara is in the same mall so it probably won't happen lol

malek
Jan 11, 2007, 6:04 AM
Athlete's world in Place Montreal Trust just closed down and that place was
originally 2 or 3 huge floors perfect location, but Zara is in the same mall so probably won't happen lol

why not??

another spot but won't be ready for a couple of years is thew new commercial spot between La Baie and Complexe Desjardins...

They'll bulldoze that shithole and build commercial locations and office tower, Best Buy is the first tenant.

http://images.cyberpresse.ca/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=CP&Date=20070110&Category=CPACTUALITES&ArtNo=701100772&Ref=AR&Profile=6048&MaxW=700

SpongeG
Jan 11, 2007, 8:02 AM
u have dunkin donuts in montreal :worship:

malek
Jan 11, 2007, 2:09 PM
this one was closed a long time ago, its an old pic!

Dunkin has almost completely disappeared.

Depan Escompte bought the franchise for the Quebec territory and is slowly rolling it in its new depanneurs.

Kilgore Trout
Jan 11, 2007, 3:21 PM
the first time i came to montreal there were dunkin' donuts everywhere, but only two years later, when i actually moved here, they had pretty much all disappeared. the tim horton's empire marches on...

SSLL
Jan 17, 2007, 2:37 AM
From: http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/financialpost/story.html?id=9d6f94ba-f49a-4198-a09e-0c38366fd061
Montreal-based Le Chateau Inc. has wrapped up a strategic review and decided to expand further rather than sell the company, the fashion retailer confirmed yesterday. Late Friday, Le Chateau released record- setting holiday results for the period from Nov. 26, 2006 to Jan. 3, 2007, with sales jumping 17% compared with the same period last year. Sales at stores open for more than a year rose a robust 13% compared with a year earlier. For the fourth quarter to date, sales were up 15.1% and same-store sales rose 10.9%. Le Chateau, which will release full-year results in April, said it plans to increase its average store size to 5,000 square feet from an average of 3,500 square feet. Chain wide, the retailer wants to increase to 1.3-million square feet of selling space from 850,000 square feet. Le Chateau has 195 stores across Canada and five in New York City.

SpongeG
Jan 17, 2007, 6:56 AM
this one was closed a long time ago, its an old pic!

Dunkin has almost completely disappeared.

Depan Escompte bought the franchise for the Quebec territory and is slowly rolling it in its new depanneurs.

ah

I think Burnaby used to have one next to metrotown - it was a combo of Dunkin Donuts and TOGO subs - the subs were good. but the shop didn't last that long - not even a year.

i remember going there while waiting for the star wars movie i think it was around 1997?

SSLL
Jan 17, 2007, 1:11 PM
From: http://www.insidetoronto.ca/to/scarborough/story/3844267p-4448478c.html?loc=scarborough

LISA QUEEN
Jan. 16, 2007

Over the years, Canadian shoppers have spent their cash at strip plazas, shopping malls with national chains and, this decade's latest trend, big box stores.
But customers of Asian backgrounds often look for a different shopping experience. It's not surprising, then, that retail developers are building alternative shopping centres in Scarborough, with its large Asian population.

The latest development, announced at a press conference last Friday, is Maxum on the northwest corner of Midland and McNicoll avenues.

The location is "the axis of one of the most densely populated Asian communities in Canada," the promotional material says. About 65,000 residents live within a two-kilometre radius and a good number of them are Asian, although developers don't pinpoint a specific number.

The centre will be anchored by a RONA home improvement store. It will also feature two strip plazas with about 50 restaurants and mom and pop stores, plus a three-storey professional building.

Promoters bill the centre as "fusion shopping."

Not only will the plaza combine retail outlets with offices for doctors, lawyers and accountants but it will feature both Asian and non-Asian retail outlets.

"Fusion shopping means East meets West," said Herrian Lee, an agent with Tradeworld Realty Inc., which is marketing the property.

"It's a mixed ethnic (shopping centre). Different cultures. We have mom and pop shops but we'll have chain restaurants. There will be a karaoke restaurant, Japanese, Greek, Italian restaurants."

Maxum is expected to be fully occupied by winter 2008.

Project manager Matthew Nutson, with developer Kreadar Enterprises Limited, said smart developers cater to the needs of their clients. And that means retail developers have to offer new approaches in Scarborough.

While Asian shoppers enjoy the big box experience for home improvement products, he said they often prefer smaller shops reminiscent of their homelands for other items.

While Canada has the land to build sprawling shopping centres, Asian countries have learned to accommodate retail outlets on much smaller tracts of land, Nutson pointed out.

"The ethnic community (wants) fusion retailing, which is blending retailers from different cultures," he said, adding a plaza his company developed at the southeast corner of Steeles and Markham Road appeals to residents of Indian and South Asian heritage.

"In the GTA, if you can't as a developer, if you don't diversify ethnically and include your community in the development, it's a very tough project to successfully complete."

Maxum comes on the heels of last month's announcement for two new condominium malls in Scarborough, each hoping to become significant regional shopping destinations.

In fact, they hope to outpace customer traffic at Pacific Mall, the decade-old shopping centre on the north side of Steeles at Kennedy Road. As the largest indoor Asian mall in North America, Pacific Mall has long attracted Scarborough shoppers.

Proponents say the new condo malls - The Landmark on Steeles near Middlefield Road and Splendid China in a converted Canadian Tire store on Steeles just east of Kennedy Road nearly across from Pacific Mall - will offer both customers and retailers a new shopping experience on the Scarborough side of Steeles.

With stores as tiny as a closet to a couple of hundred square feet, shoppers can enjoy lower prices while small entrepreneurs don't have to sink as much start-up money into their investment.

The condo malls are catering to Scarborough's prime market, according to Lawrence Wong, chief financial officer and a partner in The Landmark.

"The pattern of shopping has changed totally," he told The Mirror last month.

Condo store owners "don't need a big profit margin, so the shoppers can enjoy a unique product at a lower price."

malek
Jan 17, 2007, 2:36 PM
the first time i came to montreal there were dunkin' donuts everywhere, but only two years later, when i actually moved here, they had pretty much all disappeared. the tim horton's empire marches on...

you're right, its dunkins fault tho.

The company kind of "abandonned" its franchisee by not doing any marketing campaign and not refreshing its brand...

I remember some dunkin quebec franchisee wanted to sue them because of that. Others stopped paying their fees, transformed into "coffee time" or simply closed.

Kilgore Trout
Jan 17, 2007, 9:07 PM
yeah, there was a point when a lot of them broke off from the chain. a couple of them turned into "double donuts" before closing.

Taller Better
Jan 17, 2007, 9:08 PM
From: http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/financialpost/story.html?id=9d6f94ba-f49a-4198-a09e-0c38366fd061

Well, I don't know if I am the only one, but I am thinking this is do or die for
Chateau. Companies like H&M and Zara are whipping them because of their massive size. I can't help but wonder if expanding is a mistake. They have made several major planning mistakes in the past and paid dearly for them...

As for Dunkin' Donut's, good riddance. I got one of the worst cases of food poisoning from the old Dunkin Donut on Ste Catherines in the gay village. I was sick as a dog for days after eating their version of an Egg McMuffin when I was bleary-eyed drunk at 2am a few years ago. They didn't clean the bowl after each use of beating the eggs. :hell:

habsfan
Jan 17, 2007, 9:22 PM
never been a big fan of Le Chateau. Always thought their clothes were of cheap quality.

SpongeG
Jan 17, 2007, 10:46 PM
anyone know if Daiso is going to open in Ontario?

they have only store in Richmond - when it originally opened they had aggresive plans - they said they wanted 5 stores in Vancouver as well as Toronto etc.

so far nothing more here - its sad they are a great store

they are expanding in washington state though - they have 4 stores now all opend in the last year or so - but i am not sure if they are the same company as Canada - they have aggresive plans for the USA started out on the west coast though

SpongeG
Jan 19, 2007, 4:02 AM
Hackers put Winners, HomeSense shoppers at risk
Updated Thu. Jan. 18 2007 10:27 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

The U.S. parent company of Canadian retailers Winners and HomeSense says its computer systems were hacked late last year, exposing the personal information of millions of customers.

About 20 million people shop at the stores, including 2 million Canadians, meaning the retail security breach was one of the biggest in North American history.

"There have been events of about this size but not really much bigger," Richard Reiner, of Telus Security Technology, told CTV News.

Ben Cammarata, chairman of U.S. parent company The TJX Companies, Inc., acknowledged the breach in a press release.

"Our first concern is the potential impact of this crime on our customers, and we strongly recommend that they carefully review their credit card and debit card statements and other account information for unauthorized use," he said.

Portions of the information regarding credit and debit card sales transactions during 2003 and from the period from mid-May to December 2006 may have been accessed in the intrusion, says the release.

The system that was hacked handles transactions along with cheques and merchandise returns in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico. Other regions that could be affected include the U.K. and Ireland.

"It is believed that thieves may have stolen credit card and debit card information for as many as two million Canadian shoppers," ROBTv's Michael Kane said Thursday.

The RCMP and their American counterparts told TJX, operator of T.J. Maxx and Marshalls in the U.S., to not say anything publicly until now so that officials could continue the investigation.

The company said the full extent of the breach is still unknown.

"Sources close to VISA say worldwide as many as 20 million credit cards may have been compromised," said Kane.

The company has hired General Dynamics Corp. and IBM Corp. to help upgrade their security systems.

"It's prudent on the part of a consumer to remain vigilant with respect to what's being charged to one's credit cards," Richard Reiner, chief technology officer at Telus Security Solutions told CTV Newsnet Thursday.

"(But) I think the majority of the responsibility for incidents and issues like this (is) on business rather than on individuals."

TJX operates 826 T.J. Maxx, 751 Marshalls, 271 HomeGoods, 162 A.J. Wright and 36 Bob's Stores in the United States. In Canada, the Company operates 184 Winners and 68 HomeSense stores and in Europe it operates 212 T.K. Maxx stores.

With a report by CTV's Graham Richardson and files from The Associated Press

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070118/fraud_hacker_070118/20070118?hub=CTVNewsAt11

SpongeG
Jan 21, 2007, 9:42 AM
I was driving down granville today and noticed Williams Sonoma is opening a store on south granville - across the street from CIBC - i think where that long china place used to be - i think its two levels - so it should be a big enough space

Taller Better
Jan 21, 2007, 2:00 PM
never been a big fan of Le Chateau. Always thought their clothes were of cheap quality.

I don't expect top quality when one buys cheap clothing, but honestly it is hard to get a Le Chateau shirt home without some of the buttons falling off in the bag. And their T shirts shrink incredibly after one wash. The salespeople always tell you to hand wash them, or use cold water. They are T shirts, not a silk shirt. There is such a thing as pre shrinking the cotton. And Le Chateau will have a hard time competing with the big guys like H&M who flip the merchandise monthly, instead of seasonally like Le Chateau. Many years ago when Chateau was booming they made a huge, huge mistake one year, and went whole hog into the New Romance fashion style that was coming out of London. The style never caught on in North America ( or most of the rest of the world either) and they got stuck with an entire season of unsellable stuff. Too many puffy, frilly men's shirts and not enough Pirates out there to buy them. They "lost their shirt" that year and have been struggling with seasonal choices ever since. They seemed to decide to go the other direction and keep season after season pretty much the same, which lead to a number of years with the clothing all looking the same. Now that there are alternatives like H&M and Zara, it is going to be hard for them to keep up. Thus, when I see they are going to aggessively expand, I'm wondering if they are going down the same slippery slope that a lot of other retailers have already gone. Interestingly, the man who started Le Chateau was branching out from his original line of clothing, "Parachute" (this was back in the late 70's). It was extremely cool, but sadly bit the dust. I remember buying those clothes in Manhattan.

SpongeG
Jan 25, 2007, 5:01 AM
New Wal-Mart 'super centre' will feature fresh produce, bakery

New stores in Vegreville, Wainwright, Pincher Creek to make 45 in Alberta

EDMONTON - Wal-Mart is building a bigger store in South Edmonton Common and opening new outlets in Vegreville, Wainwright and Pincher Creek.

Construction has started on a 200,000-square-foot building south of Ikea in South Edmonton Common. It will open in about one year, replacing the 135,000-square-foot store at the north end of the power centre.

The new "super centre" will be among the first in Alberta with fresh meat, produce and a bakery, says Wal-Mart spokesman Kevin Groh.

"The idea is to improve the areas that have the greatest demand -- fashion, home electronics and food," he says.

Employment will rise to 500 from 300, with about 60 per cent of staff being full-time.

The foundation is in place for the new store, with structural steel work to start this week.

An expansion now underway at the store on Stony Plain Road, at 185th Street, also will add meat, produce and baked goods.

Wal-Mart will open new stores, Wednesday, in Vegreville, Wainwright and Pincher Creek, offering "a greater selection of foods than any other Wal-Mart in Alberta, but without meat and produce," Groh says.

Each of those stores will be about 100,000 square feet and will cost $20 million, he says.

This will give Wal-Mart, the world's largest retailer, 45 Alberta locations.

Wal-Mart has no plan for a Sam's Club members-only retail warehouse in Edmonton, Groh said. "We've got contingency plans in place for major markets nationwide, including Calgary and Edmonton, but we're in no rush."

During the week before Christmas, Wal-Mart stores at South Edmonton Common and Clareview remained open 24 hours each day.

"It showed significant consumer interest," Groh said. "But we have no short-term plans to make that a standard part of our business," despite the year-round, 24-hour operation of some of the company's U.S. stores.

Wal-Mart will own the new South Edmonton Common land and building and owns its current location, which it intends to lease after moving, Groh said.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/business/story.html?id=8723d7d4-7e24-4a18-b1c5-4ff3b2690c7f&k=2191

Hardhatdan
Jan 25, 2007, 6:21 AM
F*ck off, I hate Walmart. This is disgusting.

tkoe
Jan 25, 2007, 10:22 AM
Why aren't there municipal limits in terms of sqr. footage to prevent super-ultra-mega-hyper marts from opening? Honestly, they add nothing to the community and look like shit.

mersar
Jan 25, 2007, 2:39 PM
Some places do have limits in place. The town (approx 15,000 pop) I live in will decide tonight if we will change ours to let Walmart in or not (or at least a possible Walmart, a developer who builds a lot of properties for them is pushing for the development in question without naming names). It's been a huge issue here with a slightly different angle then most small cities fighting against them, as in our case the local business community *wants* them to come, in hopes it keeps people shopping in town, and not going into Calgary. The big issue here is the property they want to build on is a brownfield site that Domtar once owned and has huge contamination issues. And building commercial requires a less complete cleanup then residential, which is what the lobbyist groups in town want done.

Fortunately our planning commision voted 6-1 last week against it, so it will be interesting to see if council risks going against them and in the process possibly assuring themselves of having no chance of being re-elected in this years municipal elections.

neilson
Jan 25, 2007, 7:07 PM
Why aren't there municipal limits in terms of sqr. footage to prevent super-ultra-mega-hyper marts from opening? Honestly, they add nothing to the community and look like shit.
So it's ok to hate on Wal-Mart but when Supercentre or a large Zellers comes to town, there's no complaints? Come on now.

And I think Big Box Stores look great.

MolsonExport
Jan 25, 2007, 8:29 PM
And I think Big Box Stores look great.

Wow. You are amazing.

neilson
Jan 25, 2007, 9:36 PM
Wow. You are amazing.
My history shows I'm not kidding. And for a bunch of "progressives" on here, you guys by and large seem to be hypocritical in being open-minded about my opinions, conservative traditionalist views, and the like.

Seems like it's only ok to be friendly when it's toward those you agree with.

MolsonExport
Jan 25, 2007, 11:28 PM
^guess that you didn't take it as a compliment.

harls
Jan 25, 2007, 11:56 PM
What I really want to know is what will be the next city to get an Ikea.

Jay in Cowtown
Jan 26, 2007, 1:48 AM
Some places do have limits in place. The town (approx 15,000 pop) I live in will decide tonight if we will change ours to let Walmart in or not (or at least a possible Walmart, a developer who builds a lot of properties for them is pushing for the development in question without naming names). It's been a huge issue here with a slightly different angle then most small cities fighting against them, as in our case the local business community *wants* them to come, in hopes it keeps people shopping in town, and not going into Calgary. The big issue here is the property they want to build on is a brownfield site that Domtar once owned and has huge contamination issues. And building commercial requires a less complete cleanup then residential, which is what the lobbyist groups in town want done.

Fortunately our planning commision voted 6-1 last week against it, so it will be interesting to see if council risks going against them and in the process possibly assuring themselves of having no chance of being re-elected in this years municipal elections.

Hey Mersar... how did the vote go down?

I'm all for Wal-Marts... hell, I'm pissed all these new ones they built were not Supercenters. In Cochrane's case... they could use one, but in no way should it go on the Domtar land... the traffic on Griffin now is horrific, imagine it with an approach into a Wal-Mart!!!

LordMandeep
Jan 26, 2007, 2:31 AM
i went to the new wal mart super center today. I saw Oranges in Wal-Mart, very wierd...

SpongeG
Jan 26, 2007, 6:23 AM
so i was at the Coquitlam Zellers and they have been redoing it the last few months and it is looking more than ever like a target - they have changed all the inside signage and have done a similiar design to the target stores

and than we noticed they were selling Target branded product! they had some floor mats that were a target brand - for target stores...

is Zellers nearly finished? is target about to take over? hmm....

Taller Better
Jan 26, 2007, 6:37 AM

I just had an amazing idea!! Start a thread!! :D

Jay in Cowtown
Jan 26, 2007, 4:21 PM
so i was at the Coquitlam Zellers and they have been redoing it the last few months and it is looking more than ever like a target - they have changed all the inside signage and have done a similiar design to the target stores

and than we noticed they were selling Target branded product! they had some floor mats that were a target brand - for target stores...

is Zellers nearly finished? is target about to take over? hmm....

Hopefully!

MolsonExport
Jan 26, 2007, 5:44 PM

:D :jester: :haha: :notacrook:

My dog's nephew's best-friend's mother heard from the garbage man's son that he overheard the neighbor talking about her second-cousin (twice removed) Winnifred who used to work at the five-and-dime down two towns over that her boss said that he heard from his niece's best friend's father that IKEA was considering expanding into London, but that it was just a rumour.

SSLL
Jan 28, 2007, 3:59 PM
From: http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2007/01/26/llbean.html#skip300x250
Last Updated: Saturday, January 27, 2007 | 11:00 AM ET
CBC News
L.L. Bean, the Maine-based retail catalogue giant, says it wants to significantly increase its presence in Canada.

The company said that could ultimately include building retail stores in Canada, as well as a Canadian website and Canadian catalogue.

Currently, the only way for Canadians to buy L.L. Bean's outdoor gear and clothing is to order it through the U.S.-based website or from the thick catalogues that flood into the country by the hundreds of thousands each year.

As a privately held family company, L.L. Bean does not release much financial information. But it said its interest in establishing a bigger Canadian footprint was sparked by a 30 per cent annual increase in its Canadian business in each of the past three years.

"We are … looking to boost our presence in Canada with an in-country catalog, website and ultimately a retail presence," said Zane Shatzer, who was recently named as L.L. Bean's general manager of international new market development.

Shatzer has led L.L. Bean's expansion in Japan, where the company now has 15 retail stores. It has 22 retail and factory-outlet stores in the U.S., and a huge flagship store in Freeport, Maine.

Continue Article

L.L. Bean is also looking to expand its retail presence in Latin America and beyond Japan. Company CEO Chris McCormick said "it makes sense" to think about diversifying into other markets. "Of particular interest are international locations with a strong outdoor orientation," he said.

In Canada, L.L. Bean would face a lot of competition in the bricks-and-mortar "outdoor" retail market. Rivals would include Vancouver-based Mountain Equipment Co-op — which has 11 retail stores in Canada and a catalogue business — as well as Canadian Tire-owned Mark's Work Wearhouse, which sells casual and outdoor apparel at its 300 stores across Canada.

Roots, Eddie Bauer and Bass Pro Shops all have stores in Canada that cater, at least in part, to the typical L.L. Bean customer.

SSLL
Jan 28, 2007, 4:10 PM
From: http://www.insidetoronto.ca/to/scarborough/story/3853286p-4458267c.html?loc=scarborough

LISA QUEEN
Jan. 23, 2007

So much fanfare for such a little stretch of road.
But a grand opening last week featuring many local dignitaries goes to prove the short extension of Lebovic Avenue north of Eglinton Avenue west of Warden Avenue in the heart of Scarborough's "Golden Mile" signifies more than just 300 metres of new pavement.

The $1.6-million road, paid for by retail developers in the area, paves the way for the new Wal-Mart Supercentre, which opens its doors today.

"Although this is a small street or small avenue, it's an important element in this community," said Ward 37 Councillor Michael Thompson (Scarborough Centre), who pointed out the road extension fulfills the city's goals of boosting economic development and relieving traffic congestion.

Since last fall, Wal-Mart has launched a handful of super centres in southern Ontario communities. Scarborough will host the only such store in Toronto.

Compared to the 80,000 to 120,000 square feet of retail space in a regular Wal-Mart, the super centre is 220,000 square feet. In addition to an expanded line of general merchandise, it features a full grocery store with fresh meat, fruit and vegetables.

"We feel Scarborough customers will respond very well to it," district manager Rodd Olmstead said at the Lebovic extension event.

Just as the road paves the way for Wal-Mart, the super centre is a sign Scarborough is a desirable location for big box retailers offering their customers one-stop-shopping.

Helping to secure that reputation is HBC, which is looking to construct a Zellers superstore in the area of Eglinton and Birchmount Road.

"It will be one of our superstores so that's a special prototype that we have introduced and we're rolling out across the country," spokesperson Hillary Marshall said.

The superstore will be more than 100,000 square feet compared to a typical Zellers at less than 75,000 square feet.

It will feature a neighbourhood market, which offers packaged and frozen food, bread, milk and dairy products but not fresh meat, fruits and vegetables. The Zellers superstore will also include an enhanced cosmetic department with health and wellness products.

The superstore plays to Zellers' core customer, who is a busy mother with small children who likes the convenience of shopping for clothes, diapers and other general merchandise while also being able to pick up grocery items, Marshall said.

Meanwhile, despite an announcement this week that Loblaw Cos Ltd., Canada's largest supermarket chain, plans to cut 800 to 1,000 head office and regional office jobs, a spokesperson confirmed the company is building a Real Canadian Superstore on Progress Avenue near the Scarborough Town Centre but would provide no further details.

Real Canadian superstores offer a combination of groceries and other merchandise such as clothing and housewares.

Ironically, as Scarborough plays host to more big box stores, it is also laying claim to Asian condominium malls in which stores range in size from a large closet to a couple of hundred square feet.

Three condo malls have been announced for northern Scarborough in the last two months.

Attracting both big box stores and condo malls shows Scarborough appeals to a wide variety of retailers and consumers, Thompson said.

SpongeG
Jan 29, 2007, 12:03 AM
From: http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2007/01/26/llbean.html#skip300x250

I used to get the LL Bean catalogue throughout the 90's

never ordered anything

it was too colourful and fleecy

adeep88
Jan 29, 2007, 1:07 AM
Forgot the names, but there are 2 upper class stores set to open at West Edmonton Mall (Across FCUK, between Club Monaco). I saw the signs there yesterday

One of them is apparently a European purse/handbags store.

Rusty van Reddick
Jan 29, 2007, 2:18 AM
One of them is apparently a European purse/handbags store.

Is it Taschen? They're in Toronto (Yorkville) and Calgary (Bankers Hall), among maybe others

SpongeG
Jan 29, 2007, 2:35 AM
http://www.hundestolz.de/i/taschen.gif
doesn't look that high end

Rusty van Reddick
Jan 29, 2007, 3:29 AM
doesn't look that high end

VERY high end. http://www.taschen-canada.com/

SpongeG
Jan 29, 2007, 4:06 AM
i don't know if you're being serious

its not like louis vuitton or chanel

malek
Jan 29, 2007, 4:29 AM
Metro supermarkets is swimming in money and is looking for more acquisitions.

Names thrown around are Safeway Canada or Overwaitea.

BlackRedGold
Jan 29, 2007, 4:36 AM

Even after buying A&P Canada?

Well, who else is there? Lobaws and Sobeys are too big. They need a Western presence to match Loblaws national presence.

Rusty van Reddick
Jan 29, 2007, 4:41 AM
i don't know if you're being serious

its not like louis vuitton or chanel

Are you just pissed off because they're not in Vancouver?

In the niche that is what they sell (Chanel does not JUST sell "bags," which is what "Taschen" means), they're high end. And not in Vancouver. Accept it.

Taller Better
Jan 29, 2007, 1:03 PM
Overwaitea is such a bizarre name for a food store. Reminds people what will
happen if the buy too many Twinkies!

malek
Jan 29, 2007, 2:34 PM
Even after buying A&P Canada?

it seems Metro has a 1 billion in cash reserve.

IntotheWest
Jan 29, 2007, 6:55 PM

In the niche that is what they sell (Chanel does not JUST sell "bags," which is what "Taschen" means), they're high end. And not in Vancouver. Accept it.

Furry - I'm not disputing that this is higher-end, but I just had a very quick look at the luggage prices on their website, and they're only a 1/4 the price of what we saw at the Vuitton store in Banff this weekend ($500-700 vs $2,000-3,000).

Still high-end, but does it go up into this price territory? They also have a bunch of other name brands on their home webpage (Lacoste, Porshce Design) - do they actually make their own as well??

chenmau
Jan 29, 2007, 7:17 PM

I can see Safeway Canada being sold. That's been rumoured for a while. I can't see Jimmy Pattison selling Overwaitea.

mezzanine
Jan 29, 2007, 10:13 PM
Overwaitea is such a bizarre name for a food store. Reminds people what will
happen if the buy too many Twinkies!

The name is just that - 'Over-weight Tea'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overwaitea_Foods

mezzanine
Jan 29, 2007, 10:19 PM

I will do my best to talk to SpongeG and gather up the pieces of what's left our lives and move on.....:pet:

SpongeG
Jan 29, 2007, 10:20 PM

oh whatever it has nothing to do with that

it just a german store that sells mid range bags

fashionistas in vancouver won't be crying in their hermes scarves anytime soon

mezzanine
Jan 29, 2007, 10:40 PM
oh whatever it has nothing to do with that

it just a german store that sells mid range bags

fashionistas in vancouver won't be crying in their hermes scarves anytime soon

Stop that, SpongeG, admit that we just will never enjoy the Taschen experience in our insignificant lives!

:dead:

SpongeG
Jan 30, 2007, 12:13 AM
haha i know how can i go on living

----------------------

in other news...

I noticed the space for H&M in Coquitlam Centre is going to be huge - they have taken over the old CMS near Zellers as well as two other stores next to it were moved or shut down

it is a great space, lots of windows and will end up being right next to Old Navy

chenmau
Jan 30, 2007, 6:21 PM
Not sure if it's been discussed on this board before but H&M is also going into Market mall in Calgary.

SpongeG
Jan 31, 2007, 7:55 AM
Two vendors at Boyce Farmers' Market in Fredericton are apparently becoming victims of their own success now that they are being told to take the lineups for their samosas outside.

The spicy Indian pastries sold at Patel's and Samosa Delite have become so popular at the market that their lineups are becoming a problem.

Patel's has been in business for 30 years, and Samosa Delite for 17 years. Mohan Iyengar, owner of Samosa Delite, says he sells between 7,000 and 10,000 samosas every Saturday.

"Fredericton has changed in its food habits in the last 15 years, as I've seen" Iyengar said. "It used to be a meat and potatoes city, but not anymore. People are wanting more, wanting more variety, different ethnic foods, more spice."

That want is causing the weekly rush on samosas, and market executive director Ken McGeorge says that rush is hurting other businesses in the market because samosa seekers are blocking access to other stalls.

Management has tried moving the samosa sellers to other parts of the market, and has hired security guards to keep the lines in order. McGeorge says there's only one move left.

"Having tried everything inside the building, the plan now is to move the samosas to the established food court outside," he said.

McGeorge says he doubts frigid weather will impact the samosa vendors' revenue.

"I've never heard a complaint from the other food court vendors," McGeorge said. "They seem to do a brisk business wheter it's 40 below or 40 above."

Iyengar says he has another logicistal problem with being moved outside. Fresh samosas are brought to his stall at the market every half hour, but a move to the food court would change that.

"To prepare our product at the site, we will have to have extensive equipment," Iyengar said. "You have to think about whether it's worthwhile to invest in that kind of equipment for one day a week."

Iyengar said he hasn't decided whether he will set up in the new location on Saturday.

"Looking at all the practicalities, it may not be possible to go."

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2007/01/30/nb-boycesamosas.html