PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Retail Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81

SpongeG
Mar 7, 2009, 9:24 AM
a 2009 spyker c8 spyder

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezwebin_site/storage/images/buying_guide/spyker/c8/2009_spyker_c8_spyder/1664447-1-eng-US/2009_spyker_c8_spyder_submodel_full.jpg

the other one
http://www.lincah.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/2009-spyker-c8-laviolette-lm85-side-picture.jpg

SpongeG
Mar 24, 2009, 5:00 AM
Two Future Canada Stores Confirmed
March 17th, 2009

Apple will add two additional stores to its Canada line-up this year: a second store in Vancouver, and the first-ever store in Winnipeg (Manitoba). First, Apple will open its first-ever mid-Canada store by opening in the Polo Park mall in Winnipeg, not far from city center. The city has a population of 700,000, about one-half the entire population of the province, making it a major travel destination. Next, Vancouver’s second store will be inside Oakridge Centre, the city’s largest mall, and just four miles south of the existing Pacific Centre store. Both stores could open by this October.

http://www.ifoapplestore.com/db/2009/03/17/two-future-canada-stores-confirmed/

Coldrsx
Mar 24, 2009, 2:58 PM
^i am surprised they went to oakridge and not metrotown...

sledhead35
Mar 24, 2009, 4:13 PM
i was disappointed (although not surprised) apple didnt go downtown in winnipeg.

SpongeG
Mar 24, 2009, 11:33 PM
there's not much room in metrotown probably didn't want to wait

SpongeG
Apr 7, 2009, 8:10 PM
Tiffany to open store at Yorkdale

The little blue boxes are coming to Yorkdale Shopping Centre.
The Hwy. 401 and Dufferin Street mall will be home to the second Toronto Tiffany and Co. store when doors open Friday, April 17.

The first Toronto Tiffany store is located in Yorkville at 85 Bloor St., west of Yonge Street.

"We are very pleased to be opening Toronto's second Tiffany and Co. at Yorkdale Shopping Centre and to be joining the excitement at Yorkdale," said Heather Smith Nunez, Tiffany Yorkdale store director. "Our store will carry the wide range of Tiffany jewelry and products along with our newest collection, Tiffany Keys. Tiffany is proud to be a part of the celebrations of people's lives, from engagements to retirements and everything in between."

The 6,200-square-foot Tiffany store will feature a 25-foot-high facade of marble, with two show windows and a black-flamed marble arch. The facade will feature deco-inspired stainless steel doors that open to an interior of jewelry salons with stainless steel showcases, mottled Makore wood paneling and custom furnishings and wall coverings.

According to its website, Charles Lewis Tiffany and John B. Young established Tiffany and Young, a stationary and fancy goods emporium, in 1837. The name was changed to Tiffany and Co. in 1853 when Tiffany assumed control over the company.

The addition of Tiffany at Yorkdale marks the latest high-end retail store to locate to the mall following its $60-million expansion in 2005, which includes retailers Coach, Crate and Barrel, Lululemon and Sephora.

This fall, Burberry will be added to the list of retailers at Yorkdale when the first Ontario store opens. Vancouver is currently home to the only Burberry store in Canada.

http://www.torontobusinesstimes.com/EmailArticle/66849

Doug_Cgy
Apr 18, 2009, 3:59 PM
It looks as though Crossiron Mills will be be the home of Calgary's 2nd Bath & Body Works location now (not the first as expected):tup: ...Story from the Herald
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bath & Body lathers up for Calgary

By Mario Toneguzzi, Calgary Herald
April 18, 2009

International retailer Bath&Body Works has chosen to make its foray into the Calgary market at Chinook Centre, the Herald has learned.

Construction has begun in the existing mall to accommodate a summer opening by July for the retail giant in more than 3,300 square feet of space on the upper level of the shopping centre.

"With Calgarians being so well travelled, people continue to bring back Bath&Body Works products. They bring it back for themselves. They bring it back for their friends," said Paige O'Neill, retail property manager at Chinook.

"It's been on the list of our consumers to bring into this shopping centre for a very long time. It's definitely a need in this city, or should I say a want in this city. It's a great product line. It's a great price point. It can cater to everything from the high-end consumer to the not-so-high-end consumer."

The retailer's only location in Alberta is at West Edmonton Mall.

Bath&Body Works was founded in New Albany, Ohio, in 1990. It now has more than 1,600 stores. There are six stores open in Canada with two more stores opening within the next three weeks in Ontario.

"We're thrilled to be bringing this world-class brand of personal care and home fragrance to Calgary," said Carole Teitelbaum, executive vice-president of Bath&Body Works (Canada) Corp.

With the fall of 2008 opening in Edmonton, she said many customers were driving from Calgary north to shop at the new store and the customer service line was getting many requests for a Calgary store.

"So we really felt we'd love to bring this brand to Calgary and what better mall to start off with than Chinook Centre," said Teitelbaum.

Meanwhile, O'Neill said construction on the mall's multimillion-dollar redevelopment and expansion is on schedule with an anticipated opening of fall 2010.

The $275-million expansion will bring dozens of international retailers to the Calgary mall.

It will add 180,000 square feet to the mall, two levels of heated under-ground parking with 1,200 stalls, and 80 new stores, of which more than 30 are global brands not currently in the Calgary area.

The new retailers committed to opening at the new Chinook expansion include Harry Rosen, Lacoste, Coach, Miss Sixty/Energie, Anne Klein, BCBG, Kiehls, GEOX, Aldo Collection, Marciano, DC Shoes, Parasuco, Michael Kors, Diesel, Teenflo, Oakley, Guess and Calvin Klein Jeans.

"We're still plugging away and we're still finding leases,"said O'Neill, adding about 60 per cent of the expansion has been leased to date.

Also, last fall Chinook said about 120 leases expire in the next two years in the more than one-million-square-foot, 200-store centre. Many new stores in the mall will open because of that changing environment.

The mall undertook a$250-million redevelopment in 1998 that encompassed the entire shopping centre. The project was completed in 2001 and added numerous features, including an expanded food court.

O'Neill said the mall's most recent sales per square foot have remained steady at about $900.

"In this economy, it's one of our goals to try to hold that number," she said.

mtoneguzzi@theherald.canwest.com

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

Jay in Cowtown
Apr 18, 2009, 5:19 PM
Looks like Hollister pulled out of Crossiron Mills, and I don't see it or Abercrombie moving into Chinook in that article.

Guess Calgary kids are going to still have to drive to the Chuck... or Spokane.

SpongeG
Apr 18, 2009, 11:39 PM
i heard that Abercrombie and the hollister company had put all international expansion plans on hold due to the economy in late 2008 - they had planned to start opening stores in Europe but put that on hold as well

depending how long ago the Calgary announcements were and if the stores had been started I guess they just didn't want to start them

Doug_Cgy
Apr 19, 2009, 2:44 AM
Looks like Hollister pulled out of Crossiron Mills, and I don't see it or Abercrombie moving into Chinook in that article.

The only one that was "confirmed" was Hollister in Crossiron Mills, and they did pull out. Chinook apparently has a few "announcements" yet to come, so maybe they'll be part of the expansion soon?? I'm interested to see what new stores will come to "the CORE" & Fashion Central...Only time will tell I guess:tup:

Coldrsx
Apr 19, 2009, 4:04 AM

come on up...:tup:

although both are laughable brands to me

Jay in Cowtown
Apr 19, 2009, 4:33 AM
come on up...:tup:

although both are laughable brands to me

Kids love it, my daughter is closing in on that age where she'll be wanting a $70 A&F hoodie... and dad will buy it!

What I would head up to WEM for would be Lucky Jeans, can't wait for them to open at Crossiron.

danby
Apr 21, 2009, 1:06 AM
Edmonton is getting a abercrombie kids should be open in a month or soo.. As well as anthropologie is opening its first store in Canada I think.. all in West Edmonton Mall..

SpongeG
Apr 21, 2009, 3:03 AM
yeah edmonton gets a lot first

I believe there is or was a theatre chain that is based in texas and its only location outside of there is Edmonton

ue
Apr 21, 2009, 3:10 AM
Other Edmonton:

NorthTown Redevelopment

Some retailers it is getting: Bed, Bath and Beyond; Mr Big and Tall

Southgate Centre Expansion

Some retailers it's getting: Banana Republic, Zara, Sephora

Kingsway Expansion

Some retailers it's getting: Urban Planet, H&M. Aéropostale recently just opened up a store in Kingsway.

H&M is going in South Edmonton Common. Hopefully we'll get more new retail in the downtown, 124st, and Old Strathcona. We've seen a few new stores in those areas.

Some source of the info: (not everything, a lot of it is just knowing by seeing the development and the signs and other articles) http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Shopping+centres+receive+dramatic+facelifts/1509844/story.html

SpongeG
Apr 21, 2009, 3:34 AM
ooh Kiehl's - is it Edmonton's first store?

Coldrsx
Apr 21, 2009, 3:42 AM
Edmonton is often the 'testing' city for Canadian entries

SpongeG
Apr 21, 2009, 3:49 AM
yes - i used to shop there in the 80's a lot

is this the new southgate? i was last there in 1989 and it was so drab and dark

http://www.building.ca/common_scripts/xtq_images/43064-36614.jpg
http://constmgmt.pcl.com/media/files/Projects/05_Edmonton/0500243_1_300.jpg

Coldrsx
Apr 21, 2009, 3:52 AM
^yup... and an LRT station to boot

highdensitysprawl
May 7, 2009, 12:08 PM
To call somebody in this day and age a 'doucebag' seems rather juvenile. Who would ever think of using that word?

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Life/frying+Beckta+bows+foie+gras+protest/1571243/story.html

Rathgrith
May 7, 2009, 3:07 PM
i heard that Abercrombie and the hollister company had put all international expansion plans on hold due to the economy in late 2008 - they had planned to start opening stores in Europe but put that on hold as well

depending how long ago the Calgary announcements were and if the stores had been started I guess they just didn't want to start them

Abercrombie is also based in Columbus, Ohio: The current foreclosure capital of the US I believe. Maybe they will start closing all their stores in Canada (at least) down. I can't stand the douche bags who wear their clothing.

harls
May 7, 2009, 3:11 PM
How dare you... :)

SpongeG
May 7, 2009, 5:45 PM
i remember when Canada had abercrombie in the 80's - but it was only in the west as it was a franchise type operation done by woodwards

someone should revive beaver canoe

SpongeG
May 13, 2009, 5:10 AM
I hink all 5 of these are in former Linens N Things locations

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/May2009/05/c8181.html

Home Outfitters expands national footprint, adding five new stores

Multi-store grand opening events - and sales - set for May 9th, 2009

TORONTO, May 5 /CNW/ - Hudson's Bay Company announced today that Home
Outfitters, the Canadian retailer's kitchen, bed and bath specialty superstore
chain, is adding five new locations to its roster of stores, bringing its
Canada-wide count to 67. To help celebrate the expansion of one of Canada's
fastest growing home specialty stores, Home Outfitters will host grand opening
events for each of the five new locations on May 9th, featuring extraordinary
special opening day sales for customers in each location.
"We're always thrilled to welcome new Home Outfitters locations to our
Canadian network, and this announcement is particularly exciting as it marks
the grand opening of five stores all on the same day," said Kerry Mader,
Senior Vice President, Specialty, Hudson's Bay Company. "We are committed to
providing the added convenience, quality brands and great value that customers
have come to expect from Home Outfitters as their destination for home decor
needs, and look forward to celebrating this special occasion with our
associates and members of all five communities on May 9th."

The new Home Outfitters' stores are located at:
- Victoria, BC - 3170 Tillicum Road Victoria
- Coquitlam, BC - 1085 Woolridge St.
- Winnipeg, MB - 710 St. James St.
- Burlington, ON - 1200 Brant St. Burlington
- Vaughan Mills, ON - 1 Bass Pro Mills Dr.

Expected to employ between 35 to 40 associates per location and with each
store totaling more than 30,000 square feet in size, the new Home Outfitters
will feature a wide selection of home products at competitive prices,
including Gluckstein Home, Marie Claire, House & Home, Steven and Chris,
Nautica, Cuisinart, Breville, KitchenAid, Calphalon, Simple Human, Nespresso,
Dyson and more. Customers will also find a great assortment of patio sets,
garden accessories and outdoor living needs.
As part of the grand opening celebrations, and in recognition of the
company's commitment to the communities in which they operate, each of the new
Home Outfitters will be making a special donation to a local charity on behalf
of the organization and its associates.

Home Outfitters

Home Outfitters is Hudson's Bay Company's kitchen, bed and bath specialty
superstore chain with unbeatable selection and service. With 67 locations
across Canada, Home Outfitters offers customers more choices, more brands and
great ideas that help customers live better and spend less! As one of Canada's
fastest growing home specialty store, Home Outfitters is known for presenting
customers with solutions for their decorating needs, and the latest, most
innovative products for home. The chain will continue to grow and offer
customers unparalleled selection of brands and service in kitchen, bed and
bath home furnishings.

Hudson's Bay Company

Hudson's Bay Company, the Canadian retail entity of Hudson's Bay Trading
Company (HBTC), is Canada's largest diversified general merchandise retailer.
Founded in 1670, The Hudson's Bay Company operates the Bay, a major department
store, Zellers, a mass merchandise format, Home Outfitters, a kitchen, bed and
bath specialty store, and value-priced Fields stores. With more than 600
retail outlets and over 60,000 associates in Canada, Hudson's Bay Company
banners provide Canadians with stylish, quality merchandise at great value and
with a dedicated focus on exceeding customer expectations.

SpongeG
May 13, 2009, 5:12 AM
Brooks Brothers Opened in Vancouver

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/spongeg/may%20shops/DSC02675.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/spongeg/may%20shops/DSC02674.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/spongeg/may%20shops/DSC02671.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/spongeg/may%20shops/DSC02673.jpg

SpongeG
May 13, 2009, 5:13 AM
and coming to robson street...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/spongeg/may%20shops/DSC02698.jpg

Duke-Of-Waterloo
May 13, 2009, 9:37 PM
Edmonton is getting a abercrombie kids should be open in a month or soo.. As well as anthropologie is opening its first store in Canada I think.. all in West Edmonton Mall..

The first anthropologie actually opened its first Canadian store in April at the new Shops at Don Mills in Toronto.

From CNW Group News Release:

More than 100 best-in-class shops and boutiques, restaurants and amenities are moving in, including many first-to-market tenants such as Canada's first Anthropologie store, Ontario's first McNally Robinson bookstore, Salomon Sports' first North American non-resort store, and Toronto chef Mark McEwan's 20,000-sq.-ft. gourmet food store.

This is a pretty cool retail development. Check out the link:

Shops at Don Mills Website (http://www.shopsatdonmills.ca/EN/Pages/default.aspx)

MonctonRad
May 14, 2009, 12:39 AM
The first H&M in Atlantic Canada will open tomorrow at Champlain Place in Moncton.

ue
May 14, 2009, 1:09 AM
@spongeg: Kingsway here is also getting an expansion which is supposed to be pretty big.

I wonder what will happen to our closed Linen's N Things?

Lowe's is opening one of the first stores in Western Canada in South Edmonton Common beside Walmart, Future Shop, and a new H&M. I think they are doing site prep on it.

South Edmonton Common = yuck! Although it has IKEA, megastore Future Shop, and now Lowe's ... it is so ugly and so suburban - largest power centre in all of Canada. So sad.

"Cupcake" Place - opening on Whyte Ave and on 124st.

Two spots on Edmonton's The Block to Shop are open to lease.

Blunt Hair Salon, Taco Del Mar, unknown ($$$) café, and a Tanning salon are due to open soon on 104th street in the downtown in the ICON.

Wishblade
May 14, 2009, 6:05 PM
Costco's second Halifax location just opened yesterday at Dartmouth Crossing. The first opened in 1992.

SpongeG
May 14, 2009, 7:50 PM
still no Vancouver or BC but coming soon - Bath & Body Works (http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=3395481) - to these places

Bower Place Red Deer, Alberta TBD Summer 2009
Devonshire Mall Windsor, Ontario TBD Summer 2009
Toronto Eaton Centre Toronto, Ontario TBD Summer 2009
Market Mall Calgary, Alberta TBD Summer 2009
Chinook Calgary, Alberta TBD Summer 2009
Georgian Mall Barrie, Ontario TBD Fall 2009
Conestoga Mall Waterloo, Ontario TBD Fall 2009
Square One Mississauga, Ontario TBD Fall 2009

Scruff Bucket
May 15, 2009, 8:35 PM
Article from todays Calgary Herald:

Dutch premium carmaker enters Calgary market, chooses dealer

By Mario Toneguzzi, Calgary HeraldMarch 6, 2009

Spyker Cars, the Dutch manufacturer of exclusive premium sports cars, has chosen the Dilawri Group of Companies as its first exclusive Spyker dealer in Calgary and in Canada. ...

Cool! Is that the same Dilawri Group that has a number of auto dealerships in Regina? I always thought the Dilawri family lived in one of the few -- but growing number of multimillion-dollar -- mansions in Regina!

Retail shopping in Regina is nowhere close to anything like Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, etc. -- I think even Saskatoon is more progressive than here! Of course there's the usual big boxes (Best Buy, Future Shop, Walmart, Home Outfitters, Zellers, Home Depot, Rona's, Real Canadian Superstore, London Drugs, etc.) and lots of other great affiliated and independent, smaller and unique stores. Our newest residential subdivision u/c Harbour Landing seems to be modelled after Calgary's Signal Hill subdivision (or any other cities' predecessors), which will feature a collection of various retail stores with anchors Walmart Supercentre and Lowe's.

danby
May 15, 2009, 10:01 PM
Bath and Body works has been open in Edmonton for about a year now!

Bed Bath And Beyond is opening in Northtown Mall next month and one opening in West Edmonton Mall in the Summer. First in Alberta...

ue
May 15, 2009, 10:17 PM
^Yeah, I've never been to it though (but I tend to avoid WEM). And it's not my kind of shop (but I was dragged into it with my gramma in the States a couple times).

still no Vancouver or BC but coming soon - Bath & Body Works (http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=3395481) - to these places

Bower Place Red Deer, Alberta TBD Summer 2009
Devonshire Mall Windsor, Ontario TBD Summer 2009
Toronto Eaton Centre Toronto, Ontario TBD Summer 2009
Market Mall Calgary, Alberta TBD Summer 2009
Chinook Calgary, Alberta TBD Summer 2009
Georgian Mall Barrie, Ontario TBD Fall 2009
Conestoga Mall Waterloo, Ontario TBD Fall 2009
Square One Mississauga, Ontario TBD Fall 2009

+

Northtown Centre Edmonton, Alberta Spring 2009
West Edmonton Mall Edmonton, Alberta Opened

Surprised BC doesn't have it yet, wow. I'm sure they'll be the next market!!

Would be wicked to have "urban" locations in Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, and MTL, but do they even do that in the States?

SpongeG
May 16, 2009, 8:39 AM
what do you mean by urban?

I've never seen the store outside of a mall in the states - they are in downtown malls but never saw one on a street front downtown

I went into the new Tom Ford inside Holt Renfrew - really pricey a jacket (suit) was $4625 and thats all i looked at price wise

danby
May 16, 2009, 2:49 PM
^Yeah, I've never been to it though (but I tend to avoid WEM). And it's not my kind of shop (but I was dragged into it with my gramma in the States a couple times).

+

Northtown Centre Edmonton, Alberta Spring 2009
West Edmonton Mall Edmonton, Alberta Opened

Surprised BC doesn't have it yet, wow. I'm sure they'll be the next market!!

Would be wicked to have "urban" locations in Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, and MTL, but do they even do that in the States?

^^^ Diffrent stores... Bath and Body Works is open already in West Ed Mall. Northtown Center is not getting a Bath And Body Works, its getting a Bed Bath And Beyond. West Edmonton Mall is also getting a Bed Bath And Beyond possibly where JYSK used to be.

I think hes getting the two stores as being the same and getting confused?????

Doug_Cgy
May 16, 2009, 5:53 PM
Yeah...2 totally different stores, with similar names!

We're getting Bed, Bath & Beyond in Crossiron Mills...I think I heard something about Deerfoot Meadows too, but don't quote me if I'm wrong!

SpongeG
May 16, 2009, 7:18 PM
DKNY is opening in Oakridge

ErickMontreal
May 21, 2009, 6:47 PM
Tiger of Sweden chooses Montreal to open its first Canadian (and North American) store!

mai 15, 2009

A targeted investment strategy in concept stores in major cities on priority markets all over the world! The brand will also be seen on the catwalk during Montreal's Fashion and Design Festival held from June 17-20 on McGill College Avenue, in downtown Montreal. (+) (in French)

waterloowarrior
May 23, 2009, 2:11 PM
H&M's next move: Taking it to the streets
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/hms-next-move-taking-it-to-the-streets/article1149615/

The European clothing chain has never felt at home in North America's malls, so it's set its sights on brand awareness
Globe and Mail Update, Saturday, May. 23, 2009 03:30AM EDT

H&M has a Canadian problem.

It's not so much the cold and dark, at least not for Sweden's Hennes & Maurtiz AB, the roaring success of European retail. It's the national obsession with malls.

“I'm still amazed that I meet a lot of people who have no clue what H&M is,” laments Lucy van der Wal, president of H&M Canada. “Brand awareness and brand building is still a very big challenge across Canada … We have to work a little harder to get our name out.”

Ms. van der Wal, who moved to Canada in 2004 to launch H&M, still struggles with the fact that her stores don't dominate streetscapes the way they do in Stockholm and Hamburg. And her brand isn't as well known among suburban shoppers.

Enter the Canadian way of advertising. Old-fashioned billboards. Print ads that tout specific items and prices. This spring, its first TV commercial in Canada. And increasingly more online ads.

“They have no choice,” said Svetlana Uduslivaia, an analyst at market researcher Euromonitor in Chicago.

“The Canadian market is relatively small and the consumer base is pretty static, so you have to go after every single consumer there is and every area where there is a possibility of expanding sales,” she said.

Despite a global recession, H&M is bucking the industry trend and expanding. Worldwide, it plans to add 225 stores this year. In Canada, with 48 stores today, it is opening 11 this year and plans to have 100 within four years.

With the average price of a garment at about $25, H&M reproduces runway fashions in Asian and European factories and ships them to stores within four months – slicing the industry's average time in half – and replenishing the shelves daily with 20 to 50 items.

So far in 2009, the Canadian chain, with an estimated $300-million of annual sales, achieved about a 1-per-cent gain in same-store sales, Ms. van der Wal said. In contrast, in 2008 when the economy was healthier, H&M's same-store sales in Canada dipped about 2 per cent.

In April, H&M's roughly 1,700 stores around the world saw their overall same-store sales jump 8 per cent following softer sales in previous months.

It's a big leap from 2000, when H&M first set foot in North America with a large flagship store on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, but then stumbled as it moved beyond the big city. Its stores, tucked away in malls, were no longer a big marketing vehicle for the chain. Its name was unfamiliar to many suburban shoppers, and its shopping centre locations too big.

“Go anywhere in Europe on a main shopping street, and the H&M logo will pop out a few times,” Ms. van der Wal said.

The streetside stores not only provide instant marketing, they generate greater sales per square foot than mall outlets. Her next goal – more standalone stores than the current two in Toronto and two in Montreal – may be a tougher slog.

“That is still our goal, to have multiple stores on shopping streets with different profiles, because that is what we're used to doing.”

The unfamiliar has made it challenging to recruit and retain employees, leaving H&M Canada with a staff turnover of as much as 80 per cent – and little motivation among employees to wave the H&M flag. The chain reverted to its European model: It now hires 70 per cent of staff as full-timers and the rest part time; it was the reverse five years ago.

Today, in an industry where turnover is notoriously high, H&M has it down to about 55 per cent a year, with a goal to get it down to 30 per cent. (In Sweden, H&M enjoys turnover rates close to 10 per cent, with an average of 40 per cent to 45 per cent at its European outlets.) The changes have also helped reduce costs by between 10 per cent and 20 per cent, eliminating the need to constantly train new employees and ensuring that more are promoted to management positions from within the company, Ms. van der Wal said.

To keep customers returning to the stores, H&M has kept shoppers lining up at its doors by launching collections by well-known designers, such as Karl Lagerfeld of Chanel fame, in just a fraction of its stores and for brief periods.

This spring it has taken the strategy one step further, featuring exclusives by designer Matthew Williamson on a wider scale.

The clothier isn't alone among low-cost European retailers to have to work harder in North America to build its brand. Fly, a French housewares and furniture retailer that takes a page from IKEA, struggled in Canada at the beginning of the decade. By 2005 it went into bankruptcy here and closed its five stores, dragged down by rising supply snags.

Zara, the leader in cheap-chic fashion, has only 15 stores in Canada after a decade here, and hasn't ventured beyond the big cities. It relies almost solely on its stores to act as its advertising.

But in today's downturn, low-cost retailers such as H&M and Zara, owned by Inditex of Spain, have an edge because frugal consumers gravitate to their affordable offerings, Ms. Uduslivaia said.

Still, one of H&M's best marketing tools remains the billboard, Ms. van der Wal said. But even there, Canada poses its challenges. The chain doesn't put up billboards in Edmonton or Calgary because the space is given out through a lottery system, which doesn't allow the retailer to pick its spots. And outdoor advertising is restricted in Vancouver for aesthetic reasons.

“In Europe, you hardly have to market your name,” she said. “It's different here.”

SHOPPERS HOLDING BACK

Canada’s wary consumer is crucial to driving a recovery. Ever worried by the recession and the state of household finances, shoppers are holding back, particularly on discretionary spending. Statistics Canada said yesterday retail sales rose 0.3 per cent in March, up for the third month in a rowa good sign to be sure, although they remain 6.3 per cent below the September, 2008, peak.

The sectors

The monthly gain in overall sales was driven by autos. Take new car sales out, and sales were down 0.2 per cent. Sales at food and beverage stores also rose, by 0.9 per cent, partly because of higher prices. Food and beverage outlets, and pharmacies and personal care centres, marked the only two sectors to outperform the level of last October. And home furnishing stores registered a gain of 1.5 per cent, probably on the heels of consumers taking advantange of the government’s renovation rebate program, says TD Securities senior economics strategist Charmaine Buskas. The biggest drop came from what Statistics Canada calls miscellaneous retailers, which include sporting goods and office supply stores. This was followed by a decline at building and outdoor home supplies stores, largely in the western provinces. Along with a decline in construction, poor weather in Alberta may have contributed.

Across the country

Western Canada fared the worst as British Columbia and Alberta continued to be hammered. Retail sales fell 1.8 per cent in Alberta, where sales are now down 12.2 per cent from a year ago, and 1.4 per cent in British Columbia, for a year over year drop of 11.3 per cent. Quebec, New Brunswick and Newfoundland and Labrador are faring much better.

The economist

“The consumer in Canada is clearly becoming increasingly mindful of their purchases and taking advantage of deals and necessary purchases, and retrenching on non-essential items. As job losses mount, this will no doubt be a trend for some time in Canada.”

- TD Securities senior economics strategist Charmaine Buskas

The consumer

Cathy Schaffter, a Toronto court reporter, has kicked her eBay habit, shops for specials and, apart from a recent $32 purchase of Joe Fresh khakis, is “living in last year’s clothes.” Ms. Walker will drive her eight-year-old Audi for another year, and has curbed the impulse to splurge on clothing and jewellery.

“I used to fall into that trap. You’d see something and think, ‘Isn’t that great? I’ll get it,’ Then all that happens is you have a bigger garage sale.”

ue
May 23, 2009, 5:47 PM
Sponge, maybe New York or Chicago has an urban one. Would be cool to have a storefront one. You guys have Canadian Tire, Save On, Future Shop, Best Buy, Toys R Us, Buffalo, Aritzia, Roots, Home Depot, and countless other urban style stores, why not these 2? I'd rather have them outside the downtown mall.

^^^ Diffrent stores... Bath and Body Works is open already in West Ed Mall. Northtown Center is not getting a Bath And Body Works, its getting a Bed Bath And Beyond. West Edmonton Mall is also getting a Bed Bath And Beyond possibly where JYSK used to be.

I think hes getting the two stores as being the same and getting confused?????

Yeah, sorry there. I thought it said Bed Bath and Beyond not Bath and Body. My bad. Ntown and WEM are getting Bed Bath... and WEM has Bath and Body.

SpongeG
May 23, 2009, 7:31 PM
i never see H&M billboards anymore - there was a huge one on the movie studio by hwy #1 but they removed all their boards - no idea why

when we were in san francisco you couldn't escape H&M ads they seemed to be everywhere

they play H&M commercials at the theatre downtown but never in the suburbs where they have stores so they really should show them

Me&You
May 27, 2009, 2:32 PM
Fashion retailer Hermes to open fourth Canadian store in Calgary

Calgary HeraldMay 26, 2009

CALGARY - International fashion retailer Hermes has announced plans to open its fourth location in Canada this fall in Calgary.

Hermes Canada said it will open a new boutique in the city in October in the new downtown Holt Renfrew store at 510 8th Ave. S.W.

The 130-square-metre boutique will be owned and operated by Hermes Canada.

“Designed by RDAI, the Parisian interior architecture agency, entrusted with the design of Hermes stores the world over, the boutique will be devoted to an assortment of jewelry, silk, leather, ready-to wear and accessories,” said the retail giant in a news release.

Other Hermes locations in Canada include Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver..

miketoronto
May 27, 2009, 3:40 PM
You could have fooled me about H&M not being well known and busy. The downtown Toronto stores are always packed.

LotusLand
May 27, 2009, 3:53 PM
i never see H&M billboards anymore - there was a huge one on the movie studio by hwy #1 but they removed all their boards - no idea why

when we were in san francisco you couldn't escape H&M ads they seemed to be everywhere

they play H&M commercials at the theatre downtown but never in the suburbs where they have stores so they really should show them

I'm guessing you live out in the eastern suburbs Sponge? Well there are H&M ads on plastered in the few billboards in vancouver. The main and 2nd ave area always had two H&M billboards and the pacific centre store (which is in the mall and has a street front on Granville) is always packed. Perhaps they'll build one on Robson one day. Then again many retailers want to get on that street.

Doug_Cgy
May 27, 2009, 6:23 PM
To add to the Calgary Hermes story...Even though its going to be in the "Holt Building"...it sounds as though it will be a separate boutique, with streetfront presence!!

International fashion icon setting up shop in Calgary

May 27, 2009

International fashion retailer Hermes has announced plans to open its fourth location in Canada this fall in Calgary -- another signal the city has become a"player" on the national retail level.

Hermes Canada said it will open a new boutique in the city in October in the new Holt Renfrew store at 510 8th Ave. S. W.

The nearly 1,500-square-foot boutique, with a storefront on the main level, will be owned and operated by Hermes Canada.

The company has been planning for some time to move into the Calgary market and had been looking for the right location, said Jennifer Carter, president and CEO of Hermes Canada.

"Calgary is a great market," she said, adding that when Holt Renfrew decided to move and expand into the old Sears building downtown (part of the Core shopping centre) it was "perfect for us."

She said Holt Renfrew has good traffic through its downtown store and sales are strong.

Carter said Hermes Canada is confident with its decision to come into the Calgary market and" comfortable with being in the centre."

She said many of the retailer's current clients already shop in Toronto and Vancouver.

"We know we have a very good local clientele," said Carter.

In a news release, the retail giant said the boutique will be devoted to an assortment of jewelry, silk, leather, ready-to-wear clothes and accessories.

Other Hermes locations in Canada include Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

Hermes has more than 250 stores across the world including duty free.

The retail giant has picked an ideal location to bring its luxury brand to the Calgary market, said Michael Kehoe, an Alberta-based retail specialist with Fairfield Commercial Real Estate Inc.

"They will cater to those aspirational shoppers," he said.

According to Calgary Economic Development, Calgarians had the highest personal income per capita in Canada in 2008 at $54,327, the highest total five-year (2004-2008) growth in personal income per capita at 30.7 per cent and the highest average annual growth in personal income per capita over the past 10 years at 5.5 per cent (1999-2008).

The latest data in 2006 on the number of millionaires in Calgary showed they increased by 21.8 per cent from 1,905 in 2005 to 2,375.

Holt Renfrew will be opening its new downtown store in the fall of 2009 in the old Sears building, moving from between 30,000 and 40,000 square feet of space to about 90,000 square feet.

Hermes' entrance into the Calgary market enhances the city's profile as a"desirable re-tail market" and establishes the city as a"player"on the national level in the retail sector, said Maggie Schofield, executive director of the Calgary Down-town Association. It also speaks highly to what Holt Renfrew is doing with its expansion in showcasing Calgary to retailers of this calibre.

SpongeG
May 27, 2009, 9:23 PM
I'm guessing you live out in the eastern suburbs Sponge? Well there are H&M ads on plastered in the few billboards in vancouver. The main and 2nd ave area always had two H&M billboards and the pacific centre store (which is in the mall and has a street front on Granville) is always packed. Perhaps they'll build one on Robson one day. Then again many retailers want to get on that street.

I see them downtown - the article seemed to imply H&M is a hit for hipsters and fashionistas and not regular folk who would really boost their business

they have really cute cheap kids clothes but so many people never even know they sell kids stuff and when they discover that they get hooked

SpongeG
May 27, 2009, 9:24 PM
To add to the Calgary Hermes story...Even though its going to be in the "Holt Building"...it sounds as though it will be a separate boutique, with streetfront presence!!

International fashion icon setting up shop in Calgary

May 27, 2009

International fashion retailer Hermes has announced plans to open its fourth location in Canada this fall in Calgary -- another signal the city has become a"player" on the national retail level.

Hermes Canada said it will open a new boutique in the city in October in the new Holt Renfrew store at 510 8th Ave. S. W.

The nearly 1,500-square-foot boutique, with a storefront on the main level, will be owned and operated by Hermes Canada.

The company has been planning for some time to move into the Calgary market and had been looking for the right location, said Jennifer Carter, president and CEO of Hermes Canada.

"Calgary is a great market," she said, adding that when Holt Renfrew decided to move and expand into the old Sears building downtown (part of the Core shopping centre) it was "perfect for us."

She said Holt Renfrew has good traffic through its downtown store and sales are strong.

Carter said Hermes Canada is confident with its decision to come into the Calgary market and" comfortable with being in the centre."

She said many of the retailer's current clients already shop in Toronto and Vancouver.

"We know we have a very good local clientele," said Carter.

In a news release, the retail giant said the boutique will be devoted to an assortment of jewelry, silk, leather, ready-to-wear clothes and accessories.

Other Hermes locations in Canada include Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

Hermes has more than 250 stores across the world including duty free.

The retail giant has picked an ideal location to bring its luxury brand to the Calgary market, said Michael Kehoe, an Alberta-based retail specialist with Fairfield Commercial Real Estate Inc.

"They will cater to those aspirational shoppers," he said.

According to Calgary Economic Development, Calgarians had the highest personal income per capita in Canada in 2008 at $54,327, the highest total five-year (2004-2008) growth in personal income per capita at 30.7 per cent and the highest average annual growth in personal income per capita over the past 10 years at 5.5 per cent (1999-2008).

The latest data in 2006 on the number of millionaires in Calgary showed they increased by 21.8 per cent from 1,905 in 2005 to 2,375.

Holt Renfrew will be opening its new downtown store in the fall of 2009 in the old Sears building, moving from between 30,000 and 40,000 square feet of space to about 90,000 square feet.

Hermes' entrance into the Calgary market enhances the city's profile as a"desirable re-tail market" and establishes the city as a"player"on the national level in the retail sector, said Maggie Schofield, executive director of the Calgary Down-town Association. It also speaks highly to what Holt Renfrew is doing with its expansion in showcasing Calgary to retailers of this calibre.

thats how the old Hermes was in Vancouver it was housed inside the Holt Renfrew at the mall entrance than they opened their own store on burrard/alberni and pulled out of the holt renfrew space and than holt renfrew moved a while later

gotta love hermes - pencils for $100 :haha: :rolleyes:

LotusLand
May 27, 2009, 9:43 PM
I see them downtown - the article seemed to imply H&M is a hit for hipsters and fashionistas and not regular folk who would really boost their business

they have really cute cheap kids clothes but so many people never even know they sell kids stuff and when they discover that they get hooked

Gotcha, yeah all there clothes are really cheap or relatively cheap.

LotusLand
May 27, 2009, 9:48 PM
thats how the old Hermes was in Vancouver it was housed inside the Holt Renfrew at the mall entrance than they opened their own store on burrard/alberni and pulled out of the holt renfrew space and than holt renfrew moved a while later

gotta love hermes - pencils for $100 :haha: :rolleyes:

Apparently there is a Hermes in YVR by gate D, can anyone confirm this. It's on the official website. If so that would make 2 Hermes in Vancouver.

Doug_Cgy
May 27, 2009, 10:17 PM
Apparently there is a Hermes in YVR by gate D, can anyone confirm this. It's on the official website. If so that would make 2 Hermes in Vancouver.

Yes there is...I believe its one of their "duty free" stores!

SpongeG
May 27, 2009, 10:28 PM
yes its a duty free shop there is also a MNG Mango - a store that is lacking from the vancouver retail scene yet all over montreal and toronto i hear

miketoronto
May 28, 2009, 3:50 PM
SEARS is thinking about bringing back EATONS with an online shopping catalogue.

Overground
May 28, 2009, 5:29 PM
I have an idea, they should erase their Sears name and rebrand as Eatons. At least for their downtown locations, which they should have stuck with in the first place.

DHLawrence
May 28, 2009, 6:26 PM
I've had that idea for a long time. Rebrand the major stores as Eatons and the suburban stores as Simpsons. Maybe do something about the smell of the clothing preservatives at the same time.

miketoronto
May 29, 2009, 8:37 PM
Why can't more Canadian retailers be like SIMONS of Quebec? I just ordered some clothing from them via the phone, and they ship to Ontario for free. Not only that, but they send you a tag so that if something does not fit and you want to send it back, it costs you nothing for postage.
Add to that the fact that they package everything in a nice SIMONS box, etc.

Their customer service I have to say is amazing, and I ordered yesterday afternoon and it arrived this morning. Not even a day since ordering.

I have to say, they have something good going on, and I think it has to do with them being a small company of like 7 or so stores and still family run.

Canada should have more places like Simons that are Canadian owned, unique, and offer great service, and great prices.
They will continue to get my business before I support all these American chains that are coming in that can be found anywhere in the world.

SpongeG
Jun 7, 2009, 10:17 PM
It’s not easy being Pistachio

Jennifer Wells

On a blustery day late last fall—it felt as though a tornado was about to blow through—Heather Reisman officiated at the media launch of Pistachio, her latest enterprise. Dressed all in black, with a necklace that looked like a lariat fashioned from gold, she strode across the reconstituted floor (Owen Sound limestone) to stand before a gathering of reporters.

The surrounding retail space had been meticulously set: butter London nail polishes; Prestat chocolate in jewel-coloured boxes; the latest hair products from Horst Rechelbacher (the fellow who created Aveda); greeting cards and stationery made from recycled papers certified by the Forest Stewardship Council and gently imprinted with soy ink.

Reisman greeted her audience. “We’ve all been weaned on planned obsolescence,” she said. It was time—and this would become a corporate mantra—to “Buy less. Buy better. Buy forever.” Pistachio would be a mecca for the shopper seeking the intersection of high style and intelligent design with sustainable, ethically sourced items. And not just a location or two, but hundreds of shops spread across the continent. Reisman, who sits on the board of J.Crew and has a flinty determination to make it in the U.S., sees this as a North American-wide initiative.

At the back of the room, Ashley Rosebrook, Pistachio’s New York-based creative director and a former design director for Aveda Corp., mused about the potential appeal of the Pistachio emporium south of the border. “There is no concept like this in New York,” she said, looking unbearably chic on a grey Toronto morning. “I live in the West Village and I think this store would be a hit.”

So here it is: spring. The economy has tanked, and as a result, Pistachio is off target on its initially stated intention to open six to eight stores in its first year of operation. (There are two shops open in Toronto thus far.) The hope for a New York City opening this season has been sunk. And the belief that consumers will pay a hefty premium for a green product is being severely tested.

Heather Reisman settles into a club chair in her chief executive’s office at Indigo Music & Books Inc. to discuss what she has learned so far. (Yes, she looks amazing. And in her hot pink patent flats, ankle-clearing cream pants and raspberry, pink and green indoor coat thing that would be better described by a fashion writer, she appears years short of 60.)

Take the aforementioned Rechelbacher. The product? Not selling, Reisman says, firmly and frankly. “Too expensive,” she says. “We had that discussion with him. We had it many times. We said, ‘Listen, it’s not going to work.’…

“So we said, ‘Horst, we’re going to take that product out,’” she says, adding later that she’d like to carry the line again if a pricing agreement can be reached.

“We’ve learned a ton about what price points people will make the trade-off on. What we’re finding is that people will accept anywhere from a five to 15% premium. Over that, even if the product is beautiful and even if it legitimately warrants it, that’s all they will accept.”

In some cases, the company will work with a vendor to see if costs can be pared. On product that Reisman feels the company can build a reputation on—she loves the Dr. Joshi skin care line—she’ll accept a lower margin. But “apothecary,” the Pistachio word for bath and beauty, constitutes just 15% of the chain’s inventory. The lion’s share of its offerings—60%—lie in the paper category, where Reisman has a firm footing, having grown the paper business first through Indigo.

Journals. Monogrammed stationery. Birthday party invitations featuring blazing-red fire trucks. The line is not only eco-friendly but beautiful. So appealing, in fact, that, round about now, U.S. book chain Barnes & Noble will start offering Pistachio-branded thank-you notes, journals, initialized cards and more through 100 stores, ramping up to 150 by midsummer. “A lot of people think in order to be [eco-friendly] you have to be a construction paper, craft paper-type product with sort of brown and green designs,” says Bill Miller, vice-president of the chain’s gift department. “I think what’s great about Pistachio is that it breaks that mould.…It’s bright colours, it’s fun, it’s got a unique design sense.”

How meaningful is the Barnes & Noble order? “This would cover off what another couple stores would do,” says Reisman, who won’t disclose Pistachio’s start-up costs. “Indigo is strong enough that we can easily finance it through the first 24 months,” she says, after which she expects to turn a profit.

Brian Pow, an equity analyst with Acumen Capital Finance Partners in Calgary, says that in his observation, Reisman is calculating in her expansion moves. “She always walks before she runs,” he says, citing Indigo’s initially small and select product offering in children’s toys, which it expanded in brand breadth over time.

And she has certainly gained the attention of other players in the eco-friendly paper business. Mark Gavin, head of marketing and sales at Toronto-based Ecojot, which produces a range of post-consumer recycled notebooks and journals, is a supplier to Indigo—“They’ve always been a good customer,” he says—and sees Pistachio growing as a competitor in the wholesale market.

It’s not an easy place to be, attests Gavin, who says that most consumers still reach for what they like first, and consider a product’s green credentials second. As such, he says, “You gotta be green and better and price-competitive.”

Reisman is betting on the contrary. Come July, she will have a broad opportunity to test that belief as she rolls out a line of back-to-school materials to be carried in Pistachio and Indigo, with modest exposure in Barnes & Noble. “We’re making a big investment in back to school,” she says of the be-good-to-the-planet journals and such that she will be launching. “The kids will say, ‘I’m not going to spend 50% more, but if I can spend 15% more, I’ll do it.’ And they’ll tell the parents that’s what they want.”

That seems a brazen assumption, given the economic maelstrom. “Look,” says Reisman, “it would be a lot better to launch a new concept into a buoyant world....It may be a year or two that this will go on, so we may grow more slowly. But our interest in this is long term.”

The next destination? Reisman says Vancouver is the likely next stop. Who knows? The upside of a down market may offer a real estate opportunity or two. She appears to be in no particular rush as she reaches for another of her trademark phrases. “This,” she says, “is a journey.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/rob-magazine/its-not-easy-being-pistachio/article1149086/

azn_gq
Jun 9, 2009, 12:25 AM
and coming to robson street...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/spongeg/may%20shops/DSC02698.jpg

I think i just vomited in my mouth.. swallowed it, then re-vomited again...

ue
Jun 17, 2009, 12:57 AM
Touches of kitsch add unique quality to city's core

By Scott McKeen, The Edmonton JournalJune 15, 2009

Edmonton's downtown is at a tipping point.

It could tip like an outhouse into the crap. Or tip like Sinatra's Fedora towards something hip, cool and sexy.

The word "crap," as some of you know, was made famous by Mayor Stephen Mandel a few years back in lamenting the glut of dull, drab and suburban-style architecture in our downtown. No more crap, said the mayor.

His wish is coming true, at least partly. Some interesting architecture was built, is under construction, or in the planning stages. Yet that is but half the battle.

Even signature buildings will still look like crap if their owners lease ground-floor space like discount-city landlords of old. If they indiscriminately lease sidewalk fronts to common fast-food franchises, tanning salons or cash stores.

It's still happening. I just about fainted when I saw a friggin' tanning salon open in The Icon, on downtown's signature stroll, 104th Street. Franchise fast-food and coffee shops breed like rabbits in the core. And can someone please explain the demand for these "salons" that install false fingernails?

I mean, is there anyone older than 14 who finds fake tans and fingernails attractive? Anyone who still finds it special to watch a bored teen in disposable plastic gloves assemble our sandwich?

Go ahead. Call me a snob. I don't care anymore. What I do care about is our downtown becoming a place that makes you go "uh-huh," instead of "yeehaw."

So that's why I'm pleased to bring news today of two new downtown stores that are not fake, franchised, or inside a mall.

Some of you will already know about Swish and its delightful proprietor Angela Larson. Swish began on 112th Avenue, moved to Highlands and is now open in Larson's dream location, downtown.

Larson is a self-taught expert in mid-century modern fashion and curio kitsch. Her taste is impeccable and her store -- in Manulife, fronting onto 102nd Street -- is trippy, fun and stylish.

Larson's stock caters mostly to women -- one-of-a-kind frocks, shoes, home fashions and more -- but she already has some so-cool skinny ties and cufflinks for the guys.

Larson only opened last Monday, but is already out-performing her last two locations. Customers tell her they love the fact Swish is on the sidewalk, not in a mall.

OK, it's in Manulife. But as Larson points out, Manulife, to its credit, has always sought out independent retailers and restaurants.

"This is my home," says Larson, happily describing some of the freaky people she has seen walk past her door in the last week. "I've never felt proud of our downtown in the last 20 years. But now you see a new vision, like on 104th Street. I'm starting to feel that pride again."

That sense of pride spills over into another new downtown shop, Fly Jeans on 111th Street, just off 104th Avenue. Taleb and Samar Choucair took a big risk in opening a high-end urban fashion store downtown.

The store more obviously fits in West Edmonton Mall or on Whyte Avenue, where the moneyed young hang out. The Choucairs previously owned mall stores and looked seriously this time at Whyte Avenue.

But they liked the idea of being a stand-alone and unique shop, instead of just another jeans store in the row. Much of their stock was purchased with Whyte Avenue in mind, but they're already ordering casual and clubbing fashions that will cater to a more professional customer.

"We feel really good about being downtown," says Samar Choucair. "We've been thinking about it for years because there isn't a store like this here.

"But I think it is time for that to change. So yes, we're very confident that we're going to do very well."

While not a sidewalk-facing, street-front location, Fly Jeans is in that most unique of downtown situations. Situated in the same complex as the new Ivory Club, it offers lots of free parking.

Each of these stores is completely unique. There is not a store exactly like them anywhere in the world. We need more of such things in and around Jasper Avenue.

We need a critical mass of independent and unique shops, boutiques, cafes, clubs and sidewalk restaurants. But the stores tucked inside the downtown malls still far outnumber those open to the street.

Thus, block-long stretches of sidewalk along Jasper Avenue and other downtown streets offer little to see or do but cash a cheque, get a tan or scarf fast food.

A local developer told me recently that downtown building owners can and must take chances on independent business. They can highlight their office or condo buildings by incubating creative entrepreneurs in their ground-floor commercial space.

Downtown's future is in the balance. We're at a tipping point. No more crap tenants, please.

smckeen@thejournal.canwest.com
© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Life/Touches+kitsch+unique+quality+city+core/1696553/story.html

should this be stickied?

Me&You
Jun 17, 2009, 1:09 AM
should this be stickied?

No, it should be in the Edmonton thread. Interesting article, but not of much relevance.

ue
Jun 17, 2009, 1:59 AM
^Um it was, actually, so that comment doesn't even apply. Look a little into the Construction page before you make an accusation like that or at least say if it hasn't already.

Not much relevance? Hmmm...well it is discussing the opening of two new retail stores in Edmonton - which I highlighted - as well as the state of the downtown retail market, and considering this is Canadian retail news, I think it fits.

Or you mind as well tell the same to SpongG who also posted an article.

It may not have seemed like it, but when I said stickied, I meant this thread. Sorry for the misunder standing besides how would you sticky one post in a thread?

Me&You
Jun 17, 2009, 2:33 AM
It may not have seemed like it, but when I said stickied, I meant this thread. Sorry for the misunder standing besides how would you sticky one post in a thread?

That was the misunderstanding - I thought you thought this article was sticky-thread worthy... Anyways, back to the retail thread :cheers:

harls
Jun 26, 2009, 7:03 PM
Pizza Pizza opens its first restaurant in Manitoba

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Pizza-Pizza-Limited-1009767.html

SpongeG
Jul 4, 2009, 9:42 PM
Sephora: Beauty purveyor opens doors to entice Metro Vancouver

Join the world in swooning for Sephora

By Chantal Eustace, Vancouver SunJuly 3, 2009Comments (2)

VANCOUVER - Sometimes the right lip gloss can change your life. At least for a few minutes.

That’s part of the philosophy behind the massive success of Sephora, a beauty retailer that began in France 40 years ago and now boasts close to 1,000 stores worldwide. Next week, Metro Vancouver joins the party.

The company’s flagship Vancouver store, opening July 10 at Pacific Centre, will be the country’s biggest at 7,452 square feet. That same day, Sephora will open shop in Coquitlam Centre (5,421 square feet), and a third location (5,419 square feet) is slated for Burnaby’s Metrotown in the fall.

Fans already know the thrill of filling their baskets with perfectly packaged palettes and potions. Or simply snooping around and trying it all on, then leaving with a few samples tucked inside their purses.

Sephora is a trendster’s paradise, particularly since it features so many niche brands, temptingly arranged.

Inside the brightly lit space, items are displayed differently than in most beauty boutiques or department stores: Sephora is organized by product, not by brand.

This makes shopping easy, says Marie-Christine Marchives, vice-president of Sephora Canada.

“You have the makeup, you have the fragrance, you have the skin care,” Marchives says.

And then there’s the fact that Sephora stores are huge, usually at least 5,200 square feet in size. That’s one giant makeup bag.

“You want big space because the philosophy of Sephora is choice,” Marchives says. “We have an average of more than 200 or 220 brands per store.”

Also, Marchives says, many of the brands are either exclusive or hard to find, like Girlactik, Fracas, Caudalie and the coveted Sephora in-house brand.

The chain also carries items such as designer vitamins, wrinkle-busting potions, plug-in skincare tools, anti-oxidant waters and teas, as well as beauty products for men and children.

“We want to be trendy,” Marchives says. “We are not afraid to take risks on a colour, to take risks on a brand.”

With all of these brands comes a wide range of prices, another key part of Sephora’s appeal to glamour girls and savvy shoppers.

“All of our clients have different budgets,” Marchives says. “You can buy a nail polish for $10, but you can also buy your nail polish for $40. It’s up to you.”

She said Sephora strives to make shopping fun by encouraging a relaxed atmosphere where customers feel comfortable enough to try on makeup or ask for advice. Staff — there will be 45 in Vancouver and 25 in Coquitlam — are referred to as “cast members.”

Marchives is confident there’s a need for three Sephora outlets in Metro Vancouver, even with the current economy.

She began hunting for a Vancouver location three years ago but couldn’t find a suitable space that would be large enough. Then came three good locations, so Sephora went with all three.

Because who doesn’t enjoy a little retail therapy?

“When people come to Sephora and just find a small thing to make them happy — it can be a gloss, it can be a mascara, it can be just to get makeup [applied] for 10 minutes — if they leave Sephora happy, I think it changes feelings,” Marchives says.

“When the people feel more beautiful, everything is better.”

http://www.vancouversun.com/Life/Sephora+Beauty+purveyor+opens+doors+entice+Metro+Vancouver/1757149/story.html

manny_santos
Jul 5, 2009, 2:11 AM

Manitoba...say hello to fries and pizza together!

manny_santos
Jul 5, 2009, 2:13 AM

Interestingly, I used to think H&M marketed to hipsters and fashionistas and not regular folk as well - until London got a store and I went in. Got a couple nice things there.

mersar
Jul 24, 2009, 6:28 PM
Loblaw buying T&T Asian food chain

Last Updated: Friday, July 24, 2009 | 7:16 AM MT [/URL]
[URL="http://www.cbc.ca/news/credit.html"]CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2009/07/24/loblaw-tandt-takeover.html#socialcomments)

Grocery retailer Loblaw Companies Ltd. said Friday it is buying T&T Supermarket Inc., Canada's largest Asian food retailer, for about $225 million.
Loblaw said the deal is for $191 million in cash, with the rest in preferred shares issued by T&T. The value of the preferred shares will be tied to the future performance of the business.
Launched in 1993, T&T operates 17 stores in British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario, and four distribution centres —three in Vancouver and one in Toronto.
"T&T's talented management team and colleagues have developed what we believe are the best Asian stores in Canada, which will be used to help Loblaw extend its ethnic offering to better serve Canada's largest growing customer segment," Galen G. Weston, executive chairman of Loblaw, said in a release.
Sales at T&T hit roughly $514 million in the 12 months leading up to June 30.
"Some of our customers have a nickname for us — the Asian Loblaw. Today we are proud it has become a reality," said Cindy Lee, CEO of T&T.
The deal is expected to be completed by the end of this year.
Loblaw's store chains already include Zehrs, Fortinos, Real Canadian Superstore, valu-mart, Atlantic Superstore, Maxi, Maxi & Cie, no frills, Provigo and Extra Foods. The company has about 1,000 corporate-owned or franchised stores across the country.
Shortly after announcing the T&T deal, Loblaw told investors its second-quarter earnings jumped by 38 per cent.
The Toronto-based company said it made $193 million, or 70 cents a share, up from $140 million, or 51 cents a share, a year earlier.
Sales in the quarter rose by 2.8 per cent to $7.2 billion on growth in its food and drugstore operations. Same-store sales — which track sales at stores open at least a 12 months — gained 2.5 per cent, topping the one-year rise of 0.7 per cent seen in the same quarter of 2008.Source (http://http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2009/07/24/loblaw-tandt-takeover.html)

SpongeG
Jul 24, 2009, 6:33 PM
wow

beachboi-69
Aug 11, 2009, 6:59 AM

Well because everyone in Calgary has been wondering why these stores are not in one of the #1 retail markets in North America. It was reported on 660 news... "Chinook Centre" is in strong negotiations with "Hollister" and "Abercrombie and Fitch". The main focus of the new release... with many retailers new to Calgary and a few to Canada.

This makes sense as it is the safest choice of any shopping centre in Canada at this time for international retail expansion. Chinook centre is currently under going an expansion that will ad more then 80 new retail outlets.

Interesting that Calgary also gets the only Fossil stores outside of Toronto. South Centre and CrossIron Mills. Calgary will now have two just like Metro Toronto area.

beachboi-69
Aug 11, 2009, 7:08 AM
Plus rumours of "Armani Exchange" moving into "Chinook" as well.

bomberguy
Aug 11, 2009, 1:32 PM

Yes, the sweet taste of cardboard! Brings back memories when I visited T.O. last month.

harls
Aug 11, 2009, 2:21 PM
You can really taste the heat lamp in their 'pizzas'.

Why can't more Canadian retailers be like SIMONS of Quebec? I just ordered some clothing from them via the phone, and they ship to Ontario for free. Not only that, but they send you a tag so that if something does not fit and you want to send it back, it costs you nothing for postage.
Add to that the fact that they package everything in a nice SIMONS box, etc.

Their customer service I have to say is amazing, and I ordered yesterday afternoon and it arrived this morning. Not even a day since ordering.

I have to say, they have something good going on, and I think it has to do with them being a small company of like 7 or so stores and still family run.

Canada should have more places like Simons that are Canadian owned, unique, and offer great service, and great prices.
They will continue to get my business before I support all these American chains that are coming in that can be found anywhere in the world.

There are rumours that Simons is opening up a location in Ottawa. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=172002

miketoronto
Aug 11, 2009, 2:26 PM
As much as I like their store, I do not like that rumor. They are a special part of visiting Quebec, and I feel their small size is what makes them great. If they start turning into a mega chain store like all the others, than they are going to lose their personal touch and all the qualities that make them good.

They better watch out, because I really do think massive expansion is what has done in many of these chain stores.

SpongeG
Aug 12, 2009, 5:04 AM
Well because everyone in Calgary has been wondering why these stores are not in one of the #1 retail markets in North America. It was reported on 660 news... "Chinook Centre" is in strong negotiations with "Hollister" and "Abercrombie and Fitch". The main focus of the new release... with many retailers new to Calgary and a few to Canada.

This makes sense as it is the safest choice of any shopping centre in Canada at this time for international retail expansion. Chinook centre is currently under going an expansion that will ad more then 80 new retail outlets.

Interesting that Calgary also gets the only Fossil stores outside of Toronto. South Centre and CrossIron Mills. Calgary will now have two just like Metro Toronto area.

Vancouver has a Fossil store - well its in Burnaby - Metrotown I think there is a second one too

anyway Hollister/Abercrombie & Fitch put their international (of which Canada falls under) expansion plans on hold in 2008 due to the economy - they said they were not going to open stores for a while all Canadian expansion has been put on hold - they had aggressive plans for Europe too and those are on hold as well - the one in Vancovuer just squeeked by I guess - seems to be doing really well

Jay in Cowtown
Aug 12, 2009, 2:22 PM
Vancouver has a Fossil store - well its in Burnaby - Metrotown I think there is a second one too

anyway Hollister/Abercrombie & Fitch put their international (of which Canada falls under) expansion plans on hold in 2008 due to the economy - they said they were not going to open stores for a while all Canadian expansion has been put on hold

That sounds like "Buy American" propaganda... they know rich Calgary kids are still going to fly to Las Vegas or L.A. instead of take that dreadful drive to Edmonton to buy A&F cargo shorts! ;)

Coldrsx
Aug 12, 2009, 2:46 PM
^i am not sure which is worse, having a hollister/A&F in our city or knowing stinky calgarians come up to buy it.

SpongeG
Aug 12, 2009, 4:02 PM
haha

we just go to bellingham from vancouver if we really need it

SpongeG
Aug 12, 2009, 6:41 PM
Just opened: Burberry quietly unveils its Yorkdale store today

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/burberry.jpg
Yorkdale's newly opened Burberry

Rumours have been circulating this summer about the opening of two Burberry stores in Toronto, and while we managed confirm this, the company wasn’t forthcoming with details about where or when these locations would open.

So trench-coat adoring, plaid-loving Anglophiles can rejoice today as Toronto’s first Burberry boutique quietly opened its doors in Yorkdale mall. (We hear the second will come to Yorkville in October.) Along with Crate and Barrel and Michael Kors, the launch is another victory for the North York shopping centre.

Both women’s and men’s apparel are on offer, with a large selection of fall outerwear (women’s trench, $1,195), though the more exclusive Prorsum collection is absent. A small children’s section in the back is stocked with adorable miniature versions of the adult line (a boy’s polo is $85).

The front of the space is devoted to accessories: handbags, watches, scarves (an oversized checked cashmere version is $350) and shoes, including wellies in the company’s signature Haymarket check. The rain in the forecast this weekend might be the perfect excuse to try on a pair.

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/style/shop-talk/2009/08/07/just-opened-burberry-quietly-unveils-its-yorkdale-store-today/

SpongeG
Aug 12, 2009, 6:47 PM
New Apple Store set to open August 15 in Mississauga

By: Ted

There must be some serious demand for Apple to be opening another Apple Store in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). This Saturday will mark the opening of the fifth Apple retail outlet when the doors open for the first time at the new location in Mississauga’s Square One shopping mall. This addition now brings the number of Apple Stores to 11 in total throughout Canada. With five in the GTA, Ottawa most recently opened one in at the Rideau Centre, while Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Montreal and Laval each have a location as well.

Could there be a second location in the works for Vancouver? Or is another Canadian city destined to be next on Apple’s list? Halifax, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Quebec City… Who might it be?

http://blogs.macworldcanada.ca/2009/08/new-apple-store-set-to-open-august-15-in-mississauga/001

craneSpotter
Aug 12, 2009, 8:27 PM
New Apple Store set to open August 15 in Mississauga

By: Ted

There must be some serious demand for Apple to be opening another Apple Store in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). This Saturday will mark the opening of the fifth Apple retail outlet when the doors open for the first time at the new location in Mississauga’s Square One shopping mall. This addition now brings the number of Apple Stores to 11 in total throughout Canada. With five in the GTA, Ottawa most recently opened one in at the Rideau Centre, while Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Montreal and Laval each have a location as well.

Could there be a second location in the works for Vancouver? Or is another Canadian city destined to be next on Apple’s list? Halifax, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Quebec City… Who might it be?

http://blogs.macworldcanada.ca/2009/08/new-apple-store-set-to-open-august-15-in-mississauga/001

According to the Apple Canada website, 4 new Apple retail stores are opening in Canada as follows:

Polo Park, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Oakridge Mall, Vancouver, British Columbia

Pointe Claire, Fairview, Quebec

Square One, Mississauga, Ontario

Jay in Cowtown
Aug 12, 2009, 8:32 PM
^i am not sure which is worse, having a hollister/A&F in our city or knowing stinky calgarians come up to buy it.

Be proud you have an A&F/Holister... it helps eliminate the perception that everyone up there still wears hightop Reeboks and skin tight Levi Orange tabs with their leather Nabors Drilling caps and 99 jerseys. :haha:

Coldrsx
Aug 12, 2009, 8:42 PM
^can you see me or something?

Nicko999
Aug 12, 2009, 10:02 PM
According to the Apple Canada website, 4 new Apple retail stores are opening in Canada as follows:

Pointe Claire, Fairview, Quebec

Nice! That's my nearest mall:jester:

mezzanine
Aug 13, 2009, 2:17 AM
Be proud you have an A&F/Holister... it helps eliminate the perception that everyone up there still wears hightop Reeboks and skin tight Levi Orange tabs with their leather Nabors Drilling caps and 99 jerseys. :haha:

you just transported me back in time, in a split second...:worship:

ibz
Aug 13, 2009, 3:34 AM

There is a Fossil Store in Edmonton at WEM

SpongeG
Aug 21, 2009, 9:12 PM
CrossIron mega-mall opening draws thousands

More than 20,000 people had filed into the CrossIron Mills by noon on the opening day of the mega-mall north of Calgary.

The mall – one million square feet with space for 200 stores – opened its doors at 10 a.m. Wednesday in Balzac, but some shoppers began to line up outside the building as early as 5 a.m. to take advantage of special deals.

"I'm definitely supposed to be working but did take the day off. I've been looking forward to the mall opening," said shopper Cory Smillie.

Despite concerns about traffic tie-ups and extra RCMP officers on duty around the mall, police reported five minor collisions that did not result in any injuries.

The RCMP are investigating an incident in which a female driver trying to park in a stall at the mall brushed up against a pedestrian trying to hold that space for another vehicle.

Police also detained two men in a vehicle who pointed what ended up being a plastic replica gun at another vehicle entering the mall area.

Mall management expected about 70,000 shoppers on Wednesday and 30,000 cars using Highway 2 and the single exit ramp.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2009/08/19/tp-cgy-crossiron-lineup.jpg
Some people started lining up as early as 5 a.m. for the mall's opening at 9:30 a.m. (CBC)

"That's manageable with a lot of patience and a lot of work … but people will get in there," said RCMP Sgt. Patrick Webb.

CrossIron Mills is the first indoor shopping centre to open in Alberta in 20 years.

Many of the stores open on Wednesday were familiar chain businesses but in a larger format.

"It's a nice change from the other malls," said shopper Melissa Quon.

Early in its construction, developers struggled to get a water licence, and some question the economic feasibility of opening a mega-mall during an economic downturn.

But John Scott, vice-president of development for Ivanhoe Cambridge, said the company responsible for the $495-million project isn't worried.

"We're looking at it in terms of the value component here. With 55 per cent outlet [stores], people are going to seek that out there's no question," he said on Wednesday.

Shopper Bernie Gristwood said she made the trek to see "what all the excitement was about."

"I think everyone's worried about spending money but I think with what is here, with the outlets, a smart shopper can make some good purchases," said Gristwood.

Rita Henderson went to the mall looking for back-to-school deals for her children.

"Everything's expensive, especially school, so you just have to make sure they have what they need," she said.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/topstories/2009/08/19/tp-cgy-crossirons-mall-opens.jpg
Thousands of shoppers attended the opening of CrossIron Mills mall in Balzac, north of Calgary, on Wednesday. (Zulekha Nathoo/CBC)

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2009/08/19/crossiron-mall-opens-balzac-calgary.html

kirjtc2
Aug 21, 2009, 10:31 PM
Which begs the question...What was the last indoor mall to open anywhere in Canada? Vaughan Mills?

Denscity
Aug 27, 2009, 9:59 PM
Rolls Royce is opening a new dealership in Downtown Vancouver this fall. Only the second one in Canada. What's a recession?

waterloowarrior
Sep 8, 2009, 3:23 PM
Telus boosts retail presence with Black's Photo acquisition
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/telus-boosts-retail-presence-with-blacks-photo-acquisition/article1279245/
Telecommunications company said it paid about $28-million to acquire the 79-year-old chain

Simon Avery

Last updated on Tuesday, Sep. 08, 2009 11:05AM EDT
Telus Corp. (T-T34.930.501.45%) said Tuesday it has bought Black's Photo Corp., adding more than 100 stores to its retail base in attempt to boost sales of wireless devices.

The country's second largest phone company said it paid about $28-million to acquire the 79 year-old Black's chain from the private investment firm ReichmannHauer Capital Partners.

The move follows a similar strategy enacted by BCE Inc.'s (BCE-T27.130.040.15%) Bell Canada, which purchased the national electronics retailer The Source by Circuit City earlier this year.

“Black's is an impressive Canadian retailer with a great brand, reputation and management team,” Joe Natale, executive vice-president of Telus, said in a press release. “Black's premium locations provide an established network across Canada for the distribution of Telus' wireless products, which nicely complements our extensive network of dealers and stores.”

There is a growing natural link between the two companies, as customers adopt more advanced cellphones capable of capturing high quality photo and video, he added.

Black's sells cameras, accessories, albums and printing services. Ethel Taylor will continue in her role as president and general manager of the retailer, Telus said.

In July, Bell paid $135-million for the 750 Canadian stores of The Source, hoping more storefronts would translate into more cellphone sales, Internet accounts, satellite TV connections and residential home phone lines.

The Source has an agreement to sell mobile phones exclusively from Rogers Communications Inc. That contract ends in January, at which time The Source will sell only devices from Bell and Virgin Mobile.

Telus shares rose 27 cents to $34.70 in early trading on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

SpongeG
Sep 28, 2009, 11:56 PM
American Apparel opens soon

Trendy Los Angeles clothing chain renovates store on Johnson Street

American Apparel -- the trendy purveyors of skinny jeans, leggings and colourful cotton basics -- is opening a store in Victoria.

The 2,700-square-foot space east of Market Square is nestled amongst the trendy boutiques along the 500-block of Johnson Street, below Government Street, that some in the city have dubbed "LoJo."

The store is expected to open by the end of October.

Art Hughes of Montreal-based CKA Enterprises said his crew has been renovating the space, a former home decor store, for about five weeks. Hughes and his crew tore out the mezzanine level to open up the room, installed new crossbeams to stabilize the ceiling and drywalled over stone walls in the basement, which will be used for storage.

Hughes said photos he obtained from the city's archive will help the crew restore the 100-plus-year-old building's facade to resemble its original state. "We're trying to bring it back to as close as possible to respect the area," he said.

The store will employ up to 30 part- and full-time staff.

American Apparel, based in Los Angeles, owns eight other stores in B.C., including seven in the Vancouver area and one in Kelowna.

The company operates 275 retail stores in 20 countries and posted retail sales of $341 million last year.

Retailers on Johnson Street, including one that sells a limited selection of American Apparel items, welcomed the news.

"It's always nice to see the street growing," said Vanessa Lee of Rebel Rebel Clothing. American Apparel's line of cotton basics will complement merchandise carried by many of the trendier boutiques in the area, she added.

Stefy Smith, manager of Flavour, said her store will likely continue to carry American Apparel hoodies, T-shirts and leggings once the company's store is open.

Smith added many of the locally owned businesses along the street have cultivated a sense of community she hopes American Apparel will also adopt.

"Hopefully they'll still have that community feeling even though they're a huge corporation," she said.

Meanwhile, a new clothing store called SOHO will open Oct. 1 at 560 Johnson St. Owner Pavel Zika said the store will carry high-end clothing for men and women, including the DKNY, Firetrap and Bench lines.

mpearson@tc.canwest.com

http://www.timescolonist.com/life/Am...063/story.html

SpongeG
Sep 28, 2009, 11:56 PM
Shoppers Drug Mart Corporation to open two Murale stores in Calgary

New beauty destinations offer access to global beauty brands and an
elevated level of beauty expertise

TORONTO, Sept. 28 /CNW/ - Shoppers Drug Mart Corporation (TSX:SC) will premiere its innovative and exciting new retail beauty store, Murale, in Calgary beginning this October 2009 with the opening of two locations. The beauty stores will feature an unprecedented assortment of luxury, dermatological, fragrance and niche brands from around the world. The first location is scheduled to open downtown in Fashion Central on Friday, October 2nd, with the second scheduled to open in Southcentre Mall on Thursday, October 29th, 2009.

"We've brought the best in beauty brands and expertise together in this fantastic new beauty destination," said Jurgen Schreiber, President and CEO of Shoppers Drug Mart. "Murale is unlike any other beauty offering in North America with its unique combination of leading beauty and dermatological products and professional, expert services and consultation."

Upon entering the store, customers will be delighted by the assortment of leading global luxury prestige cosmetics brands including Bobbi Brown, Chanel, Yves Saint Laurent, Estée Lauder, Lancôme, Stila and Nars, among others, each with their own area for interactivity and application. The store's fragrance section includes over 75 men's and women's scents from fragrance houses and designers like Prada, Donna Karan, Chloé, Cartier and Etat Libre d'Orange. Offering personalized and unbiased beauty advice, Murale Beauty Masters will assist customers in finding cosmetics and fragrances suited to their needs and also provide expert makeup applications.

Murale's sophisticated dermatological area is equipped with professional assessment tools and the latest in topical treatments and nutra-cosmetics. With an assortment that delivers excellence in skin care, Murale will feature trusted and innovative skin care brands like Natura Bissé, Vichy, Dr. Brandt, June Jacobs, and Darphin. Focused on personalized consultation, Murale's professional skin care team includes both an Aesthetician and Pharmacist.

"Murale is a truly unique experience that promises to delight, surprise and inspire everyone to find their own beautiful," says Shelley Rozenwald, President, Murale. "We've travelled the globe to create the finest assortment and we're thrilled to bring these beauty discoveries and treasures to the Calgary market." In addition to leading products, expert consultation and advice, Murale will also offer unique services including a Benefit Brow Bar and professional beauty consultations.

Elegant and contemporary, Murale's design is inviting and allows customers the opportunity to touch, feel and discover the extensive range of beauty products, as well as interact with the store's experts. The first Murale stores opened in Ottawa and Montreal at the end of the 2008, and a third location opened in Toronto earlier this month. In addition to the Calgary stores, the Company plans to open two additional locations this year: one in Vancouver and a second location in Ottawa. More information on Murale, and the brands and services within, can be found at www.murale.ca .

On October 1st, 2009, from 9:00 am to 11:00 am, media will have the opportunity to preview the new Calgary store located at Hull Block in Fashion Central, 205 - 8th Avenue SW.

Shelley Rozenwald, President of Murale, and Tammy Smitham, Director of Communications and Affairs, Shoppers Drug Mart, will be available for interviews on Wednesday, September 30th and Thursday October 1st.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../28/c8597.html

SpongeG
Sep 29, 2009, 12:04 AM
Bloor Street most expensive retail street in Canada, study shows

Bloor Street has retained the designation as the most expensive retail real estate in the country.

The shopping stretch between Yonge Street and Spadina has been called almost recession-proof.

Retail rental prices on Bloor Street are well ahead of second place Robson Street in Vancouver, at an average of $300 per square foot compared to $210.

But it's money well-spent, according to luxury retailers such as Montblanc, Prada and Chanel.

The Toronto Star quoted a study by Cushman and Wakefield which dubs Bloor "The Mink Mile."

The Cushman study indicated more than half of the world's priciest retail streets saw rental rate declines over the past year. Bloor held steady.

The Star reported Bloor was ranked 21st globally as the most expensive place for retailers. New York's Fifth Avenue retained top spot at $1,700 per square foot in rental.

http://www.680news.com/news/headlines/more.jsp?content=20090923_101257_7796

SpongeG
Sep 29, 2009, 12:11 AM
Luxury's cautious comeback in Calgary

Hermès doesn't open its first store in Calgary until next month, but already the French luxury goods retailer has a waiting list of about 40 local shoppers for its Birkin and Kelly handbags, which can cost from $8,000 to as much as $170,000 apiece.

The pent-up demand underscores Hermès SA's survival strategy during good times and bad: It keeps women craving the handmade bags by stocking so few of them. But the Calgary waiting list also reflects new signs of life in that city's once-thriving, high-end retail market after it was slammed by the global financial meltdown.

“People are feeling a lot more positive,” said Jennifer Carter, chief executive officer of Hermès Canada, which has three other stores in this country. “Despite the negativity that's surrounding us, we cannot complain.”

Upscale merchants in Calgary, who rode high with the oil and gas boom of the past few years, now are betting that the city's well-to-do are ready to open their wallets again.

On Oct. 7, luxury chain Holt Renfrew is replacing its store with one three times larger. New Bentley, Aston Martin and Spyker auto dealerships opened their doors earlier this year and, this month alone, sold almost twice as many $150,000-plus cars as in previous months – including a $275,000 silver Spyker C8 Aileron.

Two mall developers are mapping out ambitious high-end expansion plans at separate sites, adding such fashion stores as Michael Kors, Diesel and a second Harry Rosen by next fall.

Still, the merchants are bracing for a new normal.

They wouldn't necessarily have chosen to open in today's softer economy but were locked into long-standing lease commitments. So they're adjusting their strategies and taking fewer risks to lure a more cautious consumer.

“These are new and different times, so our approach has got to change,” said Caryn Lerner, chief executive officer of Holt's.

Calgary remains appealing because it has a relatively large number of households with an income of $100,000 or more, said Grant Kosowan, director of consultancy Orange National Retail Group (Prairies) Inc. in Calgary. The city currently has little high-end retail, and a steady stream of shop-happy tourists passing through on their way to Banff and Lake Louise.

Luxury retailers who couldn't find good locations in Calgary a year ago, when there were virtually no vacancies for that kind of retail space, now have more choice, he said, making it “an opportune time to get into this market.” The city's retail vacancy rate will probably rise above 6 per cent by the end of the year, although the most desirable space “will remain negligible,” he said.

Retail rents in Calgary dropped 23.1 per cent to $43 (U.S.) a square foot in June from a year earlier, according to a report from Cushman & Wakefield.

Retailers already in Calgary are doing things a bit differently. Some are paring marketing budgets and shifting spending to discreet promotions. Many are sticking with tried-and-true brands rather than testing upstart lines. Others are more guarded in their choice of merchandise. Men's clothier Harry Rosen, for instance, is focusing on high-profile premium brands such as Zegna and Hugo Boss, and ditching fledgling labels, CEO Larry Rosen said.

The strategy is helping the chain to make gains. Over the past month, its Calgary store has quadrupled its number of large sales – worth $8,000 or more – compared with earlier this year, he said.

“Customers haven't refreshed their wardrobes in a year and now they're buying big, preparing for the next boom, so to speak,” he said. “There's a new energy.”

Birks jewellery chain, with three namesake stores and a Brinkhaus outlet in Calgary, is focusing more on classic styles, such as solitaire diamond earrings, and dropping trendier pieces such as crystal chandelier earrings, which were the rage a few years ago, said Tom Andruskevich, CEO of Birks & Mayors Inc. (BMJ-A0.59----%)

Retailers are also showing restraint in their marketing. The jeweller has lowered its ad budget by more than 10 per cent this year, but in a departure, it has invested in promotions to woo customers. Rather than blatant discounts, it has offered, for instance, $1,000 off wedding bands with the purchase of a diamond engagement ring.

“We're trying to do it in a way that is in keeping with our brand image,” Mr. Andruskevich said. The initiatives are beginning to pay off: Sales in the Calgary stores have picked up over the past three months, he said.

Holt's has invited just 500 guests to its upcoming launch party in Calgary compared with about 1,200 to its Vancouver store opening gala in 2007.

By design, Ms. Lerner is seeking a more “intimate, personalized” marketing strategy. To add a personal touch, she said, Holt's salespeople are asking their best customers about some of their favourite things and offering them such treats in “a random act of kindness.” In recent months, they've handed out items like magenta orchids, New York fashion show tickets and restaurant vouchers.

And the retailer is trying to find out more about its shoppers by reaching out to them on Facebook and new microsites like HoltsContemporary.com where some of its fashion-forward customers are blogging about trends and events.

Still others have chopped their ad budgets dramatically. The company that opened the new Bentley, Aston Martin and Spyker auto dealerships in Calgary has slashed its ad spending by 25 per cent this year. Dilawri Group of Cos. has shifted advertising to the Internet, cut back on newspaper ads and renegotiated better rates for its remaining ads, co-owner Tony Dilawri said.

The changes go beyond pitching products differently. The retailers have fine-tuned their approach to pricing, often stocking more items at the lower end of their price range.

At its two BMW dealerships in Calgary, Dilawri has focused on selling used cars, particularly more recent models. Holt's is carrying more merchandise at its lower and mid-priced ranges, and less at the top price levels, Ms. Lerner said.

Some top-end retailers, such as Hermès, are profiting from simply sticking with what they've always done. Hermès runs a conservative shop at all times, stocking limited amounts of merchandise and rarely having to mark down prices to clear products, Ms. Carter said.

The strategy could serve Hermès well at its new Calgary store, she said. Its business may also be bolstered by the changing habits of the ultrarich, who are trading down from a pricey vacation to a $420 Hermès silk scarf, Ms. Carter said.

So far this year, Hermès Canada has enjoyed more than a 10-per-cent jump in sales – although not as much as last year's 20-per-cent gain, she said. “Our local clientele may not be travelling as much, so they're shopping more with us.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/luxurys-cautious-comeback-in-calgary/article1297627/

mersar
Oct 7, 2009, 3:10 AM
And speaking of Holt Renfrew's new store:

http://compscience.info/public/images/2009/holt-oct6-1.jpg

http://compscience.info/public/images/2009/holt-oct6-2.jpg

http://compscience.info/public/images/2009/holt-oct6-3.jpg

http://compscience.info/public/images/2009/holt-oct6-4.jpg

SpongeG
Oct 7, 2009, 4:01 AM
looks good

I hear Crate and barrel opens this week - someone needs to get some pics ;)

SpongeG
Oct 7, 2009, 4:09 AM
Crate & Barrel lands in Calgary
Retailer Rolls Into Town

CALGARY - A high-profile North American retailing brand has chosen Calgary as its entry point into Western Canada with the opening of its second Canadian store.

Home furnishings giant Crate & Barrel opens in Southcentre on Wednesday at 9:30 a. m.

The company's only other Canadian store is in the Yorkdale Shopping Centre in Toronto and it opened in September 2008.

"The Calgary market has the customers that we felt would really enjoy the lifestyle of our product," said Carol Sapoznik, regional vice-president of store operations for Crate & Barrel. "We feel the economy here is at the right place right now for us to enter into this market."

Retail spending is expected to increase by more than $5 billion over the next four years, despite a drop of sales in Calgary this year by 6.6 per cent, according to a recent Conference Board of Canada report.

The addition of Crate & Barrel to Southcentre is a milestone for the Calgary retail scene, said Michael Kehoe, an Alberta-based retail specialist with Fairfi eld Commercial Real Estate Inc.

"Not since the opening of Williams-Sonoma in Chinook Centre in June 2005 has the home fashion shopping scene experienced such a buzz across the city," Kehoe said.

Crate & Barrel's opening is another sign of the strength of Calgary's economy, particularly in the retail sector. In mid-August, the CrossIron Mills shopping centre opened in the Balzac area.

Also Wednesday, the new Holt Renfrew flagship store opens in downtown Calgary.

The opening of Crate & Barrel is going to "drive a lot of additional footsteps to the building," said Shawn Hanson, general manager of Southcentre.

Hanson said Southcentre was in tough competition to land the retailer and the $110-million mall redevelopment was a key to securing the deal.

The 33,000-square-foot store, on the upper level of Southcentre, will be the third-largest retailer at the mall on Anderson Road S. E., behind only Sears and the Bay.

"We're looking in Western Canada in the Vancouver area right now," said Sapoznik, adding the company chose Southcentre because of good demographics in the area, a great customer and tenant mix, a good roadway system nearby and ample parking.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Crate+Barrel+lands+Calgary/2069803/story.html

SpongeG
Oct 7, 2009, 4:09 AM
Calgary on luxury map with Holt expansion

By Deborah Yedlin, Calgary Herald

Holt Renfrew officially unfurls its new store Wednesday morning, ushering in a new era of retail in Calgary. The company has completed renovating the space first occupied by Eatons and later Sears, transforming it completely into a store that could easily fit into the high-end retail landscape of shopping meccas the likes of New York, San Francisco, London or Los Angeles.

If the intent was to stem the tide of dollars being spent outside the city, because the general consensus has been that Calgary has been underserved at the higher end of the spectrum, this store should do the trick.

"Calgarians won't have to travel to shop," said Debra Kerr, who has managed the Calgary store for the past seven years of plenty.

In other words, for those high-end shoppers who have long bemoaned the lack of an interesting selection, the whining is over. The new store is more than three and a half times the size of the old one, with the shoe salon alone boasting 5,400 square feet.

In a private tour through the space last week, while it was still overrun with construction workers, the difference between what is and what was is nothing short of dramatic.

The openness of the three-level, brightly lit structure takes advantage of skylights. The contrast in the design comes with the various materials used in the finishings throughout the store and the designer boutiques that line the periphery of each floor.

And for those keeping score of East versus West, this addition to the Holts repertoire arguably outdoes the Toronto flagship store because it is done in an open concept, making it easy to see what's displayed; there are no rabbit warrens in evidence.

The new store is as much a nod to a new world of wealth as it is anything else. Holts has been in Calgary since the 1950s -- a place where the quietly wealthy have gone for everything from ball gowns to tuxedos and graduation suits. But as the city has transformed and its inhabitants have become more cosmopolitan, there has been a question of whether those who supported it through the years -- before the recent wealth surge -- will be as comfortable in the new digs.

In recent years, the chain has made an effort to occupy the high-end retail space in the country, eliminating what are called the less-expensive "bridge lines" that exist at similar stores south of the border such as Neiman Marcus. The corollary to this approach is that there are many young people starting out on their career paths who once upon a time would have started their wardrobes at the more affordable end of the spectrum and grown into the pricey labels. But there are some who argue that by not targeting this demographic early in its consuming history, it is lost as a potential customer down the road.

Still, Kerr, along with Douglas Wilkinson, who has been with Holts for almost two decades, are quick to point out that the chain's emphasis on customer service is what will ensure the intimidation factor is kept at bay.

The store's culture of customer service is the result of hiring employees who are interested in retail as a career, not as a stop-gap job on the way to something else. The new store will have 100 new employees -- for which Kerr interviewed 1,000 applicants before finding the right individuals.

The other piece to consider in Holts' bold move is whether the store comes too little, too late. It was in 2004 when the decision was made that Calgary had outgrown the existing 40,000-square-foot store. Back then, optimism and flash ruled the day.

Today the world is in a very different mindset. Retail sales in Alberta, while recording modest gains in the past two months, still have the dubious distinction of having posted the biggest year-over-year declines in the country.

It also doesn't help that natural gas -- the primary engine of growth in the province's energy sector -- is in the midst of a structural shift because of the shale gas plays that have pushed storage levels to the limit and depressed prices. Turning this sector into a vibrant aspect of the economy is going to require a complete rethink of the business and, until this happens, the outlook for the Alberta economy is not so promising.

But veteran store manager Kerr, who has ridden through other Alberta recessions at Holts in both Edmonton and Calgary and says she is cautiously optimistic about the economic outlook, is quick to emphasize the new store is a vote of confidence for the future.

"The city is ready," she said, "I am cautiously optimistic and the store shows our commitment to Calgary."

As part of that commitment to the community, Holts is following on an established tradition of donating a portion of its sales on opening to a Calgary-based charity. In times past, beneficiaries have included the Prairies/Northwest Territories chapter of the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation and the Alberta Children's Hospital. On Wednesday, the store will be donating two per cent of sales to the 2009 United Way Campaign.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Calgary+luxury+with+Holt+expansion/2069800/story.html

sledhead35
Oct 8, 2009, 2:32 PM
Consumer confidence is at an all-time high in Winnipeg, and that has experts forecasting a merry Christmas for local retailers.

A new Jory capital/Winnipeg Free Press consumer confidence survey found 87 per cent of adult Winnipeggers are optimistic about the city's economic future.

That's 17 percentage points higher than it was a year ago, when the global economic recession was starting to take hold, and the highest it's been in the nearly 14 years since Probe Research began conducting the quarterly surveys.

What's even more encouraging is that 38 per cent of the 1,000 Manitobans surveyed also said they expect their own financial situations to improve over the next year.

That's five percentage points higher than a year ago.

It's also substantially better than the results from a recent Conference Board of Canada survey, which found only 28 per cent of Canadians thought they'd be better off financially a year from now.

Probe Research president Scott McKay and University of Manitoba marketing professor Rob Warren said those kinds of confidence numbers should keep the cash registers humming during the upcoming Christmas shopping season.

"When people are confident, not only about their existing income but also their longer-term income, they'll spend more money," Warren said.

"To have Winnipeg consumers feeling that strongly about the place where they live has got to be good news (for retailers)," McKay said. "It's got to be good for everybody."

Although the survey found rural Manitobans weren't as upbeat -- only 79 per cent of them said they were optimistic about their community's economic outlook -- McKay and Jory Capital CEO Patrick Cooney blamed that on the cold, wet weather this past spring and summer, on weak commodity prices and on the financial crisis within the local hog industry.

Luke Nolan, owner of The Haberdashery Guys & Girls store on Albert Street, said he was already feeling pretty good about his retail prospects for this Christmas.

And now he's feeling even better after hearing the latest consumer-confidence numbers.

Nolan said he's also found consumers tend to spend more freely if they're feeling good about the local economy.

"And I think this area (the Exchange District) is also getting busier," he said.

"So I think this Christmas will be good."

Probe also asked Manitobans how confident they were the Canadian recession is now behind us, and three out of five (59 per cent) said they thought it was. McKay said that's likely another reason why Winnipeggers are so upbeat about the future.

Another was the fact Manitoba wasn't as hard hit by the recession as most other parts of the country, he said.

"I do believe that most Manitobans never thought we were in a recession here..."

While a majority of Manitobans think the Canadian recession is over, Jory's Cooney isn't one of them.

He said consumer and government debt loads are still way too high and Canada's leading trading partner -- the United States -- is still in a lot of economic trouble with a weakening currency and rising unemployment rates.

"We're not out of woods yet, by any means," he said.

SpongeG
Oct 11, 2009, 9:32 PM
Hermes is painting cowtown orange

The high-end giant and its cohorts bring a new luxury to Calgary

By Nathalie Atkinson, Weekend Post

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/www.vancouversun.com/business/fp/hermes+painting+cowtown+orange/2087412/2087411.bin
The Calgary Hermès in the city’s new Holt Renfrew flagship. If you’re in the market for an orange scarf and are more concerned with quality then price, get down there ASAP, pardner.
Photograph by: Hermes , National Post

CALGARY • When the doors of Holt Renfrew’s new flagship store opened in Calgary on Wednesday morning at 9:30, it was as though someone had fired a starter’s pistol at the rodeo. The criss-crossing escalators were thronged with people — some shopping, some satisfying curiosity on a coffee break from the neighbouring office towers, others kicking the proverbial tires of glitter-encrusted Christian Louboutin pumps or a Thomas Pink shirt.

Because in down times, even economists don’t underestimate the power of a good outfit.

In his presentation on the city’s 2010 economic outlook Adam Legge, vice-president and chief economist of Calgary Economic Development discussed the city “the Charlie Brown economy.” Because of his outfit, of course: the peaks-and-trough pattern on his signature yellow shirt represent the city’s economic activity for the next year. Although the moment the forecast and economic indicators (such as new commercial construction permits) say recession but a glance traffic on the retail high street says boom. Good hotel rooms are hard to come by, with downtown hotels hovering at 100% occupancy; flights to and from the city are packed.

And at lunchtime several hours later, so was the new 150,000 square foot Holt Renfrew store and within it, the Gucci, Chanel, Tiffany & Co., Louis Vuitton and Hermès boutiques. By mid-afternoon, 10,000 people had passed through; it was a frenzy and felt like Boxing Day. The mother of all discreet luxury brands, Hermès in particular is throwing itself con brio into the Calgary launch. Maybe it’s because Calgary, like Hermès’ founder Thierry, has a thing for horses? A handsome handmade saddle is perched in one alcove of the boutique, which despite the company’s heritage would still seem incongruous in any other city. But this town has John Wayne’s swagger. In fact, Calgarians are probably better equipped than most to appreciate the croc and other exotic leather goods Hermès has on offer. Just down the street on the way to the store I stopped in at local stalwart Lammle’s Western Wear & Tack and browsed the shelves of ostrich boots, then checked out Riley & McCormick Western Wear. Founded 1901, not as old as Hermès’ original harness and saddlery store but it’s supplied many a bronco rider in its day.

To enter the boutique, past a recessed Greek key frieze and between two enormous Birkin bags (the size of weekender duffles), you behold, on the back wall, the holy grail of handbags. Several Birkins and Kellys, in fact — even a couple of the latest coveted fringed-leather mini Kellys, an unintentional but nicely coincidental nod to the city’s western heritage. Beyond this glass façade, Guillaume de Seynes was taking it all in. The executive vice president of Hermès stopped in Calgary for a few days en route from Paris to Lafayette, Louisiana, where Hermès owns the largest alligator hide tannery in the United States. (“We keep only the best skins for ourselves, maybe 7 or 8%,” he explains later; they sell the rest to companies like Ralph Lauren.) That might explain the gleaming presence of a rare croc Birkin with diamond-studded clasp in the Calgary boutique (if you have to ask how much, well...). It presides over the room from its perch behind a vitrine and when a sales associate in white cotton gloves takes it out to show a client, it’s held aloft as reverentially as Cleopatra carried on her litter. On opening day, a $10,000 Birkin bag (sans diamonds) was one of the first items to go. It was not the only one sold that day.

Despite the economic gloom de Seynes sees the trend turning back to quality in luxury goods — fewer items but better quality, which accounts for Hermès growth in the past year in Canada. “I really like this sentence of my grandfather, who was the chairman of the company,” de Seynes adds. “Un objet de luxe c’est un objet qui se répare. A luxury object is something you can repair. And that is at the heart of Hermès.” Calgary store to witness the doors flying open that morning. “He was trampled!” laughs Hermès Canada president Jennifer Carter, only half-jokingly. In the history of Hermès store openings usually the first thing that sells is a Birkin, she says, but the first sale of the day was a dip-dye scarf, a new style of silk printing atypical of the brand. That bodes well for the market in Calgary, which Carter says they’ve been eyeing for “quite some time now.” Opening in Calgary was about location more than timing, and Holt’s new flagship presented the perfect opportunity. “And two our first customers that I ever served were Calgarian - 1989, before we’d even moved to Bloor Street in Toronto,” she adds. Canada isn’t in Hermès top three markets, but the growth that Canada is enjoying last year and this year is among the strongest of their countries, de Seynes chimes in. “China is very strong, then Hong Kong but Canada is right after that.”

But assuming that wealthy Calgarians already shop Hermès on trips to New York, Paris, London or Vancouver, what advantage is there to serving them at home? Carter predicts the Calgary store will be strong in silks, enamel fashion jewellery and watches. “It’s very important for Hermès to be local,” de Seynes says. “We consider that as in Paris we are part of the landscape, part of the city. If you want to make a nice gift to a child going to college in France traditionally you go to Hermès you buy a watch, or a cufflink if it’s a guy. We want to be really a part of the cities where we are. Multi-local. We don’t pretend to be a local company but we have local initiatives — every store has the freedom of choosing from the collections, their window displays. We need to create the relationship with the people in the city, with a store team who know the customers.”

And then, there’s the not-insignificant advantage of there being no provincial sales tax in Alberta. To wit: after lunch, Hermès waved the orange flag around town — or rather, rode it. A cavalry of brand ambassadors was dispatched not on horses but elegant Electra cruisers (on loan from local purveyor Bow Cycle) to hand out chapbooks about the history of Hermès silk. They were even dressed à la Hermès — in simulated dressage gear, chinos tucked into Hunter wellingtons and topped with monogrammed bicycle helmets, like jockeys.

Once again addressing the elephant in the room, de Seynes compares the Calgary store’s timing to one in Thailand a decade ago. “Every brand in the ’90s was going to Bangkok but we were one of the last to open there, waiting until we found the right location and local partner. We opened in 1998, the worst year. The Asian crisis. But from that first year the store was profitable. It’s a question of priority, when you are ready and if the year is not so good, whatever, you are still ready to go.”

Did I mention there’s no PST?

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/fp/Hermes+painting+cowtown+orange/2087412/story.html

SpongeG
Oct 11, 2009, 9:32 PM
Forever 21 and the 3rd area Sephora opened this past week in Metrotown and Bath & Body Works opened its first BC store this weekend in Richmond Centre

-----------------

Stealth Shopper: the Holt Renfrew Calgary flagship

by Nathalie Atkinson
Retail Therapy

It’s a chilly grey and (occasionally) snowy Wednesday in Calgary. On the way downtown from the airport, a boarded up brick building painted teal is incongruous beneath looming skyscrapers. The old Cecil Hotel, built in 1912. It is - or rather, was - a notoriously seedy tavern that became a hotbed of drugs and crime, says my driver. And former premier Ralph Klein used to drink there, he adds; 'but then again, where didn’t he drink?' we chuckle. The Cecil was shut down when the City of Calgary finally bought it last year. It’s demolition is imminent, to make room for affordable housing. It's about the only thing going down - everywhere else I look, it's up up up, girders and scaffolding and steel beams. The skyline is dotted with cranes, gyrating to a soundtrack of jackhammers.

As a kid, I lived in Calgary for a year in 1978; my mother says we made it through the harsh winter with regular visits to Devonian Gardens, a rooftop greenhouse downtown. I want to make a pilgrimage, I explain to the concierge at my hotel, but he informs me that it’s temporarily closed. Yet another thing under construction, a renovation like more office towers and soon, a Hotel le Germain. But the building I'm here to see is done: the flashy new Holt Renfrew Calgary flagship and its slew of new designer boutiques opening this morning.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theampersand/Calgary%20Holt%20Renfrew%20Calgary%20Exterior.jpg

One the way along Stephen Avenue, aka 8th street (the pedestrian strip that cuts a swath between Calgary’s downtown banks and business towers), I first stop into the slick new Murale, the outpost of Shoppers’ Drug Mart’s standalone upscale beauty boutique that opened last week. It’s two stories, and part of the new, much-hyped Fashion Central building on the corner. At the moment, Murale is the only tenant (though it is rumoured that a Betsey Johnson boutique will open). The strip is getting a classic American Brooks Brothers emporium in the spring, too. Downtown retail planners might consider adding a Marks Work Wearhouse to their wish list: there are as many hard hats as briefcases on the street. Actually? Probably more.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theampersand/Calgary%20fashion%20central.jpg

I continue, past still more construction workers outside Bankers Hall, each accessorized with a Tim Horton’s takeout cup. On a smoke break, they shuffle in place to keep warm. It strikes me, looking around, that there seem to be an awful lot of men in Calgary (later, I chat with a few local women who happily confirm that yes, they are very much outnumbered these days). Steps from the new Holt Renfrew flagship, across the street from its elaborate corner façade, the department store's former building sits vacant. The windows are papered over; inside, a lone Clinique poster is all that remains of the former cosmetics hall. As if thumbing its nose, the windows of the new building shout the magenta tag line “Calgary’s Newest Hot Spot," with styling on a velvet rope theme: mannequins in Hervé Leger and other cocktail garb are lined up behind metal barricades as if in the alley outside an underground club. The hot spot nightclub theme continues around the store, with velvet-rope vignettes of a bottle-service VIP area or under mannequins’ feet, a sheet of magenta Plexiglass dusted with silver confetti in lieu of a traditional VIP red carpet.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theampersand/Calgary%20holts%20VIP%20mannequins.jpg

Once inside, I'm one of the few wearing an overcoat, or even entering through the main front door and past the Shu Uemura Tokyo Lash bar. See, Holt Renfrew 2.0 anchors the CORE project, a complex warren of pedways weaving in and out of Calgary's downtown area office towers and banks like a Watership Down of the sky. Most people downtown never have to step outside. Designed by New York firm Janson Goldstein (who also created the chain's recent Vancouver store) the gleaming new white-on-white department store has tripled its space to over 150,000 and is making more than sixty new brands (such as Akris and Jil Sander) available to the Calgary market, with personal shopping suites and several branded stores housed inside - new Gucci, Tiffany & Co., Hermès and Louis Vuitton boutiques (in today's paper, I spend extra time in the Hermès boutique). The layout is open concept and modern (like I imagine it would look if Selfridges and Harvey Nichols had a baby) and the escalators criss-cross in the middle with floating disco balls suspended above. And this morning the escalators, as well as the shop floors, are packed. It’s not as if there wasn't a Holt Renfrew in Calgary before yet the place is almost in a frenzy.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theampersand/Calgary%20denim.jpg

On the 2nd floor women’s contemporary there’s a full complement of Helmut Lang's minimalist pieces along one wall; behind it, practical Canada Goose down coats, Smythe jackets and favourite L.A. brands like James Perse and Vince. Sheets of metal are cut into honeycomb-shaped wall cubbies for designers jeans. I love to eavesdrop and wandering around, when I overhear two looky-loos chatting near a rack of Jeremy Laing and David Szeto, I pretend to be very interested in the gathering stitch detail of a Denis Gagnon dress. “It’s nice” (she’s talking about a purple Sharon Wauchob jersey dress) “but it’s $750! Will this fly in Calgary?” Her companion replies, “They say there’s a lot of money here.” Yes, ladies, they do say that -- and judging by the couple emerging with armloads of glossy black bags (think Julia Roberts in that triumphant Pretty Woman shopping montage) from the Chanel boutique... I get where they're coming from: it's just a simple jersey dress with a bit of velvet twisted on one strap. Although the Holt Renfrews back home in Toronto carry a wider variety and deeper stock of, well, almost everything, the sales associates here are much more friendly and approachable. So much so that I briefly consider purchasing a pretty sequined chiffon Elie Tahari top that has a subtle leopard print motif ($295, gulp, but hey let's remember there’s no PST in Alberta!) or one of the Dries van Noten blouses nearby, just to help one of them have a extra-good sales day.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theampersand/Bag%20bar%20Calgary%20LV.jpg

Back on the main floor, the Tiffany & Co. boutique is 1,100 square feet of polished white onyx and muted steel showcases and the Louis Vuitton boutique (shown above) is double that, now carrying shoes, more small leather items and accessories, lots of Monogram and the country’s first LV ‘bag bar,’ where you can perch on brown leather stools to examine the goods. Both boutiques are crowded with shoppers who already have a few of Holt's signature magenta bags on their arm. In the latter shop, a woman has just bought a Monogram cabas tote and her husband is considering a trifecta of Damier belt, loafers and matching jacquard tie. Is the vintage 1906 LV hat trunk, displayed under studio lighting like a museum prop, here to lend heritage & gravitas to all this instant gratification? I'd say so (and it does). Because just outside the LV shop portico there's the lure of still more purses in the airy handbag hall. Zagliani’s puffy, Botoxed python bags are buttery smooth: they're also terribly, obviously, tragically nouveau-riche; less so the Coach bags and playful appliqué critters on the Marc Jacobs bags, displayed on mannequins and mixed in with printed wool Virginia Johnson shawls ($195.)

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theampersand/Calgary%20shoes%20Holt%20Renfrew.jpg

I listen in on another pair of shopping pals who have gotten sucked into the vortex of the shoe department, like me probably mesmerized by the floating red Loub soles and satin YSLs. “No good can come of me trying these on, you know that don’t you,” she tells her friend, slipping on a croc-embossed Marc Jacobs pump. (That's exactly what she said: I couldn't write this stuff better.) I long to jump in and suggest that on a blustery day like today, she’d be better off with the burgundy MJ duck boots lined in faux shearling ($275). Meanwhile, over in the fashion jewellery, a man browses the showcases of Alexis Bittar and Lanvin baubles, lingering at a brass Burberry acorn charm necklace (each tiny acorn cap embossed with signature nova check, $1,075) but instead, pausing to have an elaborate statement necklace by designer Dannijo taken out for closer inspection. (Dear reader, I think he bought it.)

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theampersand/Holts%20Calgary%20maquette.jpg

Another phase of Calgary’s CORE project is the ambitious plan to erect a glass canopy over three sprawling city blocks. Overall it’s a clever strategy, especially for Holt’s: all the pedways disgorge would-be shoppers into the store from several access points on each floor -- sort of like all roads lead to Rome. This trick is most noticeable on the third and topmost floor, the men’s department, where bankers, law associates and business types are arriving, in clusters of shopping wingmen, to check out the Neil Barrett separates and Thomas Pink shirts (the latter in their own dedicated shop-in-shop). The office tower proximity means they can wander over on a coffee break and shop unfettered by bulky outerwear; many have left their suit jackets behind. Along one wall of alcoves, mannequins wear snazzy suits and elaborate neckpiece maquettes created by the visual display team, all on a Calgary theme (above; there’s even an H&R ranch, where would-be J.R. Ewings can play oil & gas tycoon with their G.I. Joes, I guess). Passing by, as if on cue, one fellow wearing fashionably skinny tailored trousers quips to his buddy: “I should totally wear that to the Christmas party.” Beyond them in the more casual area I spot William Rast, Justin Timberlake’s menswear line, and wish I could buy one of the $795 retro sheepskin flight jackets (I'm not alone: a handsome young guy has slipped off his vest to try one on). A rack of quilted lumberjack shirt-jackets in red tartan flannel by Band of Outsiders also catches my eye. They're almost identical - really, it's uncanny - to the plaid ones construction workers are wearing outside the Home Oil Tower down the street. Though I wonder what they'd make of the $450 price tag?

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theampersand/archive/2009/10/10/stealth-shopper-holt-renfrew-calgary-opening.aspx