PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Retail Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81

Acajack
Feb 15, 2023, 4:31 AM
my favourite was D'Italiano with the extra flour on the outside. "look Gord, it's authentic Eye-talian"
Or is that what morphed into Villagio? :haha:

Villaggio is owned by Bimbo (Canada Bread) and D'Italiano is its main competitor made by Weston.

jonny24
Feb 15, 2023, 12:58 PM
mass produced bread is usually shite.
support your local bakery. it's well worth the extra buck or two for a loaf of bread with better ingredients. Also you help out a small business and money gets recirculated in your local community.

my 2 cents

Well, a buck or two more, but about three times as often, because two of us can't get through a fresh loaf before it's rock hard.

MolsonExport
Feb 15, 2023, 1:16 PM
Villaggio is owned by Bimbo (Canada Bread) and D'Italiano is its main competitor made by Weston.

The degree to which Galen gives two shits about the average Canadian: a big fat zero.
https://torontoist.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/GalenWestonJr.jpg

He owns Shoppers Dog Fart/Pharmapricks too.

OTSkyline
Feb 15, 2023, 3:36 PM
Actually Westons sold the bakery portion of the company about a year or two ago to FGF Brands, Weston Bakeries is now called Wonderbrands (same stuff, but not owned by Galen anymore)

Wigs
Feb 15, 2023, 6:10 PM
It would be nice if there were more local bakeries. In a lot of communities nowadays, the only “local bakery” is the bakery department at the grocery store.

In the neighbourhood where I grew up, there has been no local bakery since about 1998, with A&P/Metro being the only provider of baked goods since. One must travel quite far for a local bakery now.

That's really sad. I guess I'm lucky to have a really good local bakery that tries to make as many things as possible (many breads including sourdough, baguettes, bagels, delicious pies/cakes/muffins, macaron, butter tarts, nanaimo bars, etc, even donuts sometimes). The head baker/owner won silver in Ontario at a student skills competition for pastry.

I buy my bread from the local bakery and meat from my choice of 2 local butchers. Old school. Recirculate that money in the local economy.
The less money the Billionaire arsehole Galen Weston gets, the better.

Thanks for clarification, Acajack. Hard to tell the faux Italian breads apart

Well, a buck or two more, but about three times as often, because two of us can't get through a fresh loaf before it's rock hard.

I freeze loaves, and take out one at a time. I suppose one could even freeze half loaves :shrug:

I understand families that need to budget and buy the $1.98/loaf bread from No Frills/Loblaws stores, but I'll pay extra for better quality ingredients and supporting a local business if I can.

esquire
Feb 15, 2023, 6:17 PM
^ I buy the $1.98 whole wheat loaf partly because it's convenient (no extra stop at a bakery needed), and my kids will eat it :haha:

Wigs
Feb 15, 2023, 6:47 PM
^ I buy the $1.98 whole wheat loaf partly because it's convenient (no extra stop at a bakery needed), and my kids will eat it :haha:

esquire, I'm dying. "feed it to the kids, dear. They're fine with this inferior crap" :haha:
see also: Little Caesar's Hot N Readys when you guys get good quality ethnic takeout etc

Acajack
Feb 15, 2023, 7:03 PM
esquire, I'm dying. "feed it to the kids, dear. They're fine with this inferior crap" :haha:
see also: Little Caesar's Hot N Readys when you guys get good quality ethnic takeout etc

Kinda clashes with the perfect father image in The Dad Thread, eh? :haha:

esquire
Feb 15, 2023, 7:04 PM

I guess I sound like a bad parent :haha:

But seriously, like every parent we started out intent on feeding our kids the highest quality fresh foods. Within a few years they are somehow sustaining themselves on goldfish crackers, Cheerios and cheese strings, haha.

I personally love rye bread but I hardly ever buy it because my kids won't touch it and my wife can't eat it (celiac).

MolsonExport
Feb 15, 2023, 7:10 PM
^word

Wigs
Feb 15, 2023, 9:09 PM
I'm only kidding guys. I'm sure if I had 1-4 kiddos I'd be buying the least expensive stuff and whatever the kiddos are happy with too. Something's gotta give in the family budget, particularly in Westonianflationary times.

harls
Feb 15, 2023, 9:11 PM
When I started in high school in Toronto in Grade 9 it was within walking distance of an indoor mall. The anchors were Loblaws and Woolco. Woolco had a distinctive smell helped by the snack counter selling Pogo dogs and lots of potpourri around and cheap furniture. I remember walking in there with a friend of mine and asking 'what is that smell'. His reply 'poverty'. It was inappropriate in today's economic climate but at the time it did make me laugh.

:haha:

Airboy
Feb 15, 2023, 9:42 PM
That's really sad. I guess I'm lucky to have a really good local bakery that tries to make as many things as possible (many breads including sourdough, baguettes, bagels, delicious pies/cakes/muffins, macaron, butter tarts, nanaimo bars, etc, even donuts sometimes). The head baker/owner won silver in Ontario at a student skills competition for pastry.

I understand families that need to budget and buy the $1.98/loaf bread from No Frills/Loblaws stores, but I'll pay extra for better quality ingredients and supporting a local business if I can.

I should go into a no frills since they are always beside the H&W produce stores I frequent. I do have the luxury of accessing lower price store around Edmonton. I have a few good bakeries near my place but can still get to others. In fact there are a few that have best of products I will go to. Rye Bread at the BonTon is one. I tend not to frequent the big stores anymore, I am finding lower prices around a smaller places. Yes it may cost a bit for gas. Funny enough I found a gas station that always has the price 5c lower than the rest. H&W are also the place where a lot of new immigrants tend to go. I can get a weeks worth of fruit and Vegs for under $20.00. If Safeway or Superstore sell strawberries for $700 a container. H&W will sell it for half. The H&W of the south side of Edmonton also has the most exotic fruits.

Also found some of the Markets have meats far less than the big stores now.

We have also lately started checking out the Warehouse Liquidation wholesales. If you have time to browse you can find great deals. Canned goods mainly.

SpongeG
Feb 16, 2023, 2:13 AM
what brand of $1.98 bread are y'all eating?

maybe it costs more in BC but the bread at Superstore in BC is usually $3.98 or buy 2 for $5.50 kind of thing usually. Sometimes it will go on sale for $2.98

I don't buy the instore baked bread, I never liked it, I do like the Save-On Foods bakery bread though but its well over $3 usually.

urbandreamer
Feb 16, 2023, 2:36 AM
No Frills used to sell .99 cent bread including 1.79 rye bread by All Stars Bakery - looks like it closed down a few years ago.

Anyway, driving across Ontario and indeed Canada, I've come across many small town bakeries. One interesting tidbit I recently learned: Mennonite bakeries across Ontario have an informal "territory" where they all agree on the distance between different family bakeries, and they have a "price fixing" policy similar to the controversial Loblaws policy that was exposed. For example, I'd always wondered why no Mennonite bakeries have opened in Elmira, Listowel, Wellesley or Stratford: places like Anna Mae's (Millbank), Shakespeare Pies (just outside Stratford) and Floradale's Hillcrest Bakery are part of the Mennonite bakery cartel ha.

Wigs
Feb 16, 2023, 2:36 AM

maybe it costs more in BC but the bread at Superstore in BC is usually $3.98 or buy 2 for $5.50 kind of thing usually. Sometimes it will go on sale for $2.98

I don't buy the instore baked bread, I never liked it, I do like the Save-On Foods bakery bread though but its well over $3 usually.

I hate Loblaws Companies/Weston Family.

I literally just saw this bread recently for $1.98. It was under 2 bucks anyway. Buying groceries online/curbside pickup for my folks during peak pandemic from Loblaws chain stores (Zehrs in this case) was one week item in stock, next week couldn't find it on website. :hell:

Now, the cheapest bread... it's nowhere to be found on the No Frills website, and the SW/S Ontario Loblaws chain, Zehrs (always more expensive than No Frills) has it for $2.79.
For the same price you can get the fresher and better ingredient baked in store stuff :haha:

https://i.ibb.co/gZvh7w8/Screenshot-477.png

https://i.ibb.co/sWLQJLj/Screenshot-478.png

https://i.ibb.co/WWNhfxv/Screenshot-479.png

Wigs
Feb 16, 2023, 2:39 AM
I should go into a no frills since they are always beside the H&W produce stores I frequent. I do have the luxury of accessing lower price store around Edmonton. I have a few good bakeries near my place but can still get to others. In fact there are a few that have best of products I will go to. Rye Bread at the BonTon is one. I tend not to frequent the big stores anymore, I am finding lower prices around a smaller places. Yes it may cost a bit for gas. Funny enough I found a gas station that always has the price 5c lower than the rest. H&W are also the place where a lot of new immigrants tend to go. I can get a weeks worth of fruit and Vegs for under $20.00. If Safeway or Superstore sell strawberries for $700 a container. H&W will sell it for half. The H&W of the south side of Edmonton also has the most exotic fruits.

Also found some of the Markets have meats far less than the big stores now.

We have also lately started checking out the Warehouse Liquidation wholesales. If you have time to browse you can find great deals. Canned goods mainly.

Why bother with No Frills for produce if this H&W store is local and you can get it cheaper? Seems like you're a smart shopper that's figured out cheapest places for gas, high quality baked goods, best bang for buck fruits/veggies. No Frills may have cheaper paper products, pop/chips, sometimes canned goods. but if you can get that cheaper at a liquidation store, do it.

I will say, moving back to Ontario the produce quality overall seems better than what I could get in Calgary. Not like the stark contrast NFLD or Great White North difference to Rest of Canada, but still noticeable enough to me.

Loco101
Feb 16, 2023, 3:52 AM
I hate Loblaws Companies/Weston Family.

I literally just saw this bread recently for $1.98. It was under 2 bucks anyway. Buying groceries online/curbside pickup for my folks during peak pandemic from Loblaws chain stores (Zehrs in this case) was one week item in stock, next week couldn't find it on website. :hell:

Now, the cheapest bread... it's nowhere to be found on the No Frills website, and the SW/S Ontario Loblaws chain, Zehrs (always more expensive than No Frills) has it for $2.79.
For the same price you can get the fresher and better ingredient baked in store stuff :haha:

https://i.ibb.co/gZvh7w8/Screenshot-477.png

https://i.ibb.co/sWLQJLj/Screenshot-478.png

https://i.ibb.co/WWNhfxv/Screenshot-479.png

This bread is always $2.29 at my local No Frills and I believe is made by Weston (or whatever company it has become)

https://assets.shop.loblaws.ca/products/20801296/b2/en/front/20801296_front_a06_@2.png

I was in Foodland the other day and Dempster's bread was $4.39 and their house brand Compliments was $2.39. What a different for basically the same thing!

SpongeG
Feb 16, 2023, 9:12 AM
Maybe bread is cheaper in Ontario? I don't think we get bread that cheap out here. The last two times we bought bread it was at Trader Joe's in the states and it was $1.95 US.

I remember 30 years ago when I lived in Ontario for 2 years I found most groceries were quite a bit cheaper there compared to BC, and probably still is that way.

If I buy bread at Superstore it's usually one of this variety and it's usually close to $4, on sale for around $3. The same bread is sold here at Dollarama and is about $2.50
Country Harvest. Dollar Tree has bread for $1.50 and it too is rarely in stock.

https://kawarthanow.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/country-harvest-bread-696x464.jpg
kawarthanow.com

MolsonExport
Feb 16, 2023, 1:28 PM
I found that most groceries cost more in BC than Quebec/Ontario, during my five year stint living in BC in the nineties.

There has been a lot of concentration in the grocery marketplace. It was always bad out in BC with Overwaitea/Save-on controlling a huge segment of the market. The East is dominated by BlawLobs, Metro/Provigo, IGA/Sobeys, and then there is Walfart and Costco.

I do a lot of grocery shopping at Costco, and even there, prices have risen way above inflation rates for the past 3 years.

WarrenC12
Feb 16, 2023, 4:07 PM

My wife has been baking our bread (sourdough mostly) since 2019. It's cheap and relatively easy. Nothing beats fresh bread either.

esquire
Feb 16, 2023, 4:29 PM

This one: $2.79

https://storage.googleapis.com/images-sof-prd-9fa6b8b.sof.prd.v8.commerce.mi9cloud.com/product-images/detail/00062639172190.jpg

We switched to Save On Foods delivery during the pandemic and never looked back. I seldom ever set foot in a supermarket anymore.

I like the Country Harvest bread posted above but I never buy it because... my kids won't eat it ;)

1overcosc
Feb 16, 2023, 4:37 PM
My wife has been baking our bread (sourdough mostly) since 2019. It's cheap and relatively easy. Nothing beats fresh bread either.

I got into breadmaking in 2020 when it briefly became a fad at the start of the pandemic and have been baking all my own bread since (including wraps, crackers, buns, etc). Last year I bought a hand crank flour mill and have been buying wheat grains to make my own flour instead of buying flour. It only takes a few minutes to grind a cup of flour and its a great arm workout. Buying grains costs about half as much as buying flour, and it means all my bread is now whole grain.

I used to think the whole "we can help solve hunger by going back to scratch cooking and home canning/milling/processing/etc" line of thinking was hippie nonsense but I'm starting to think it has merit.

WarrenC12
Feb 16, 2023, 4:53 PM
I got into breadmaking in 2020 when it briefly became a fad at the start of the pandemic and have been baking all my own bread since (including wraps, crackers, buns, etc). Last year I bought a hand crank flour mill and have been buying wheat grains to make my own flour instead of buying flour. It only takes a few minutes to grind a cup of flour and its a great arm workout. Buying grains costs about half as much as buying flour, and it means all my bread is now whole grain.

I used to think the whole "we can help solve hunger by going back to scratch cooking and home canning/milling/processing/etc" line of thinking was hippie nonsense but I'm starting to think it has merit.

That's interesting, I grind my own grains to make beer, because it's also significantly cheaper and fun. She gets organic flour in 50lb bags from an organic place not too far away.

My wife also does some canning and we freeze a lot of fresh produce when it's cheap and local.

For us it started more from trying to get away from processed foods and overly sprayed fruits and vegetables, and the best way to enjoy those year round.

jonny24
Feb 16, 2023, 7:26 PM

I also have a mill for home brewing. Once by hand was enough, I have a drill attached to it now. Of course I was doing 10-20 lbs at a time :cheers:

WarrenC12
Feb 16, 2023, 7:29 PM
I also have a mill for home brewing. Once by hand was enough, I have a drill attached to it now. Of course I was doing 10-20 lbs at a time :cheers:

Man up!

Actually I trained my son to do it. :D

MonctonRad
Feb 16, 2023, 7:31 PM

Also good practice for the upcoming zombie apocalypse! :tup:

MolsonExport
Feb 16, 2023, 7:52 PM
https://www.thebeaverton.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/Screenshot-2023-02-03-at-10.33.37-AM.png
https://i.redd.it/8i72eruty4ca1.png

To borrow from Lio, we could call it Galenflation. Because at BlawLobs, prices are not the only thing going up.

https://thedeepdive.ca/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/president-choice-unlimited.png

https://thedeepdive.ca/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/loblaw-pandemic-margins.png

https://thedeepdive.ca/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/loblaw-net-income-chart.png

How much did Galen make during this period?

From the Management Information Circular for Loblaw Companies Limited it shows Galen’s related holdings to Loblaws went from $7.9B to $12.5B between 2021 and 2022.

His Loblaw-related equities position gained $4.5B in a year!
https://thedeepdive.ca/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/image-7.png
https://thedeepdive.ca/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/image-6.png

https://thedeepdive.ca/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/galen-weston-george-dividends.png

On a conference call in 2017, he spoke of Ontario’s minimum wage hikes by suggesting it would cost Loblaws $190 million in expenses and he would meet the minimum wage hikes by reducing manual bookkeepers and installing self-checkouts.

During the pandemic Weston recognized the people working at his stores were vital and facing increased risk, so he increased worker pay by $2/hour. When Covid Cases ebbed in July of 2020, Galen decided that the pay bump wasn’t needed anymore, and he took it away… but the pandemic wasn’t over. Canada experienced the most severe waves of the pandemic immediately after Galen took away Loblaws workers’ COVID pay.

He didn’t give it back.

Well, at least he must have paid lots of income tax into the government coffers, eh? Not so fast!

Loblaw defeats the tax man

Galen’s $735 million in dividend income is his share of $4.3 billion in after-tax profits that Loblaws made from 2019 through 2021. Any company that earns that much money is always looking for a way to keep it, and the tax man is always looking for a way to keep them from keeping it.

Loblaw’s innovation was to set up a bank in Barbados and use it to manage the investment capital from their non-Canadian subsidiaries.

Wholly owned Loblaw subsidiary “Glenhuron Bank” did a brisk business in money management, generating so much revenue from 2000 through 2013 that, if it had been earned in Canada, Loblaw would have owed hundreds of millions of dollars in taxes to the Canada Revenue Agency.

The CRA took Loblaw to court and said: “Wait a minute, you aren’t running a bank… you’re running a tax dodge! That money is being managed in Barbados specifically to avoid Canadian taxation!”

casper
Feb 16, 2023, 8:22 PM
Loblaws is overly aggressive on both sides of the equation.

Among food processors they are regarded as a risky and overly aggressive company to work with. Constantly pushing suppliers to reduce costs and refusing to accept price increases.

Many suppliers have decided there is no point in counting on them as a supply chain.

Sobeys, Costco and the independents are much more supplier friendly.

casper
Feb 16, 2023, 8:28 PM
Also good practice for the upcoming zombie apocalypse! :tup:

Has to be garlic bread. Yes, you can do that in a bread maker.

The store bread that comes from a factory is designed so that it can be transported great distances and still be "good" a week after you purchase it in store. That is the "wonder" in Wonder bread.

The store baked procedure s mostly pre-formed, raised and frozen. It is then put into an oven in store and baked. Tim Hortons does the same thing with their donuts. For Tims the slogan "Always fresh all day" weans reheated in a weird convection/microwave oven combo multiple times during the day. Better but not great.

The true independent bakers are hard to find these days. But I would pick that over the other two.

urbandreamer
Feb 16, 2023, 8:46 PM
Cheap processed bread is gross. Take a piece of Wonder Bread etc and watch it triple in size in a bowl of water. Imagine what it does in your stomach. I used to work for a large commercial bakery - nasty shit. I enjoyed dumping the burnt loaves in the garbage, where all of it belongs.

Unfortunately, I pay a premium for gluten-free bread, so I mostly eat tortillas.

To beat inflation, do what the smart people here do: grind your own flour, get a bread maker and enjoy simple ingredients, less sugar and vegetable oil etc.

Wigs
Feb 17, 2023, 1:28 AM

awesome :tup: Sourdough bread is the best

I got into breadmaking in 2020 when it briefly became a fad at the start of the pandemic and have been baking all my own bread since (including wraps, crackers, buns, etc).

you sound like husband material (political differences aside) :D :cheers:

That's interesting, I grind my own grains to make beer, because it's also significantly cheaper and fun. She gets organic flour in 50lb bags from an organic place not too far away.

My wife also does some canning and we freeze a lot of fresh produce when it's cheap and local.

For us it started more from trying to get away from processed foods and overly sprayed fruits and vegetables, and the best way to enjoy those year round.

Do you guys feel healthier with these changes?

From a fast food perspective, I never eat McDonald's because I feel like absolute garbage within 30 minutes of consumption. However eating A&W (1/month) I feel perfectly fine. :shrug:

Molson,
Galen Weston may be one of the biggest POS in Canada.

Kilgore Trout
Feb 17, 2023, 1:33 AM
The true independent bakers are hard to find these days. But I would pick that over the other two.

One of the reasons I love Quebec. Good bread is insanely overpriced in the rest of Canada, but herein Montreal I can walk to a dozen bakeries within 15 minutes of my home and get a loaf of artisanal sourdough (pain au levain, not the actually sour San Francisco-style bread) for only a couple of dollars more than a loaf of weird factory bread. Not to mention the cheap croissants.

There is certainly lots of good bread in other parts of the country but it's often very expensive. And the affordable family-run bakeries owned by European immigrants seem to be disappearing very quickly.

Also, incidentally, I find that grocery prices here haven't gone up nearly as much as in other parts of Canada. I'm not sure if it's just Montreal of if the same is true elsewhere in Quebec, but I don't see the same price gouging as I do elsewhere. When I was in Halifax in November and Vancouver/Victoria in July, it seemed like groceries were anywhere from 20 to 40 percent more expensive than in Montreal.

1overcosc
Feb 17, 2023, 1:40 AM

Wowzers... I would use a drill if I was doing that much! Its never more than a pound or two at a time with bread if you mill as needed.

Wigs
Feb 17, 2023, 1:45 AM
Kilgore, one of the many reasons I think Montréal (overall) is the best city in Canada. So much excellent bread/desserts and good food. Things still done the century plus old ways. :slob:

SpongeG
Feb 17, 2023, 1:59 AM
We probably throw more bread away than gets eaten, or it ends up in the freezer after having toast for two breakfasts and then gets thrown out about 8 months later when we need space in the freezer. Horrible waste I know.

What about bacon prices across Canada, in the last year the prices have shot up. The no name brand used to be usually in the $4 range, but now it goes on sale for $7. Brand name bacon is well over $8 now.

and pop has gotten really expensive, you used to be able to pick up a 12 pack case a few years ago for about $3.99 at most stores, a 12 pack of cans is now close to $8. The 6 pack of plastic bottles is usually $6, sale price of $4 or so. Even just over the border the prices are really high, at Target the sale price of a 12 pack was $6.99 US. The current flyer shows three cases for $15, the old sale price was usually 3 for $10. I drink far too much pepsi zero but we have that sodastream so its a little better. I wonder or ask because again when I moved out east pop prices were eaily $1-$2 cheaper for the same thing. We didn't even have 12 pack cases at the time, only 6 packs.

kwoldtimer
Feb 17, 2023, 2:53 AM
What about bacon prices across Canada, in the last year the prices have shot up. The no name brand used to be usually in the $4 range, but now it goes on sale for $7. Brand name bacon is well over $8 now.

Saw Schneiders double smoked "butcher cut" bacon at Loblaws the other day at $13.69 for 500g!

Coldrsx
Feb 17, 2023, 2:56 AM
Holt staying in Calgary
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/holt-renfrew-commits-to-downtown-calgary-with-a-long-term-lease-renewal-at-the-core-850934528.html

Wigs
Feb 17, 2023, 3:05 AM
Holt staying in Calgary
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/holt-renfrew-commits-to-downtown-calgary-with-a-long-term-lease-renewal-at-the-core-850934528.html

not a shocker for anyone that knows the crazy wealth that's in Calgary.

I recall when the renovation to The Core was completed with revamped Devonian Gardens, the gigantic skylight, new food court, and newly renovated Holt Renfrew store. Office vacancy was like under 5% downtown (or so it seemed compared to 30-31?% currently). City/Downtown/Beltline felt bustling!
The staff were some of the most attractive females I've seen in Calgary, they played Aussie band Cut Copy (I listened to them a lot at the time) on the store speakers, and Men's jeans were approximately $249.99-$400 :D
I felt like I was in some wealthy American city for a minute, instead of Canada.

I never shopped there, for obvious reasons.

the song that was playing
OxCbK5rPV98

1overcosc
Feb 17, 2023, 7:27 AM
you sound like husband material (political differences aside) :D :cheers:

Thanks for the compliment! I'm already taken ;p I'd like to think my husband agrees.

From a fast food perspective, I never eat McDonald's because I feel like absolute garbage within 30 minutes of consumption. However eating A&W (1/month) I feel perfectly fine. :shrug:

Definitely - for me it started as a fun hobby but the health aspects (along with the financial ones) are what keeps it going.

casper
Feb 17, 2023, 9:56 AM
Saw Schneiders double smoked "butcher cut" bacon at Loblaws the other day at $13.69 for 500g!

Maple leaf foods positions Schneiders as their premium brand. So its intended to be expensive, but still that does sound high. They use Maple Leaf as their mid-tier brand.

Yes, that is expensive. I don't buy bacon that much but when I do it is from Costco. And we have bacon for quite a few days. Fletchers Thick Cut at Costco is great.

WarrenC12
Feb 17, 2023, 4:56 PM

Molson,
Galen Weston may be one of the biggest POS in Canada.

That's the million dollar question. I feel good after eating that stuff. I agree McDonald's in particular makes me feel like shit, so I haven't had any in years.

But other places work out ok. Pizza is my personal weakness, and home made beer on tap is probably the worst thing for me, health wise.

With respect to nutrition, I think you're playing the long game eating well. Small things will add up and catch up to you. My cholesterol and everything is in good shape, so maybe that's helping.

urbandreamer
Feb 17, 2023, 8:29 PM
Every home brewer I've met is an alcoholic lol. My uncle finally had to stop drinking because it interferes with his dementia meds (& probably contributed to getting it.)

I see Galen around the Annex and Queen West occasionally. He's just a typical rich guy who should pay his distribution workers more. $28/hr is the most you'll get to live in fear of being fired - happened to someone I know who'd worked there for years, getting fired for missing a shift due to a back injury.

esquire
Feb 17, 2023, 8:45 PM
Every home brewer I've met is an alcoholic lol. My uncle finally had to stop drinking because it interferes with his dementia meds (& probably contributed to getting it.)

Now that you mention it, the guys I know who home brew seem to be happy to pour out a mug at the drop of a hat...

Wigs
Feb 17, 2023, 8:48 PM
Thanks for the compliment! I'm already taken ;p I'd like to think my husband agrees.

Definitely - for me it started as a fun hobby but the health aspects (along with the financial ones) are what keeps it going.

Glad to hear you enjoy doing it. Saving money and knowing exactly what goes into what you're eating.

Maple leaf foods positions Schneiders as their premium brand. So its intended to be expensive, but still that does sound high. They use Maple Leaf as their mid-tier brand.

Yes, that is expensive. I don't buy bacon that much but when I do it is from Costco. And we have bacon for quite a few days. Fletchers Thick Cut at Costco is great.

Schneiders, the former Kitchener-Waterloo juggernaut was always seen as a cut above Maple Leaf.
I recall my grandma and mom were upset when Maple Leaf Foods took them over. 20 years later, my Mom will buy Schneiders "juicy jumbos" all beef hot dogs and sausage rolls but those are the only mass produced meat products she buys.
I try to tell her to limit hot dog consumption as they are typically the worst cuts of meat with god knows what fillers. I do enjoy hot dogs in the summer though.

The local butcher bacon I buy most recently was $6.39/484g. So roughly $6.60/500g (if my math is correct)
Double smoked is always more. I'd assume closer to $9-$9.50/500g
Much higher quality than the mass produced stuff.

Wigs
Feb 17, 2023, 8:51 PM
That's the million dollar question. I feel good after eating that stuff. I agree McDonald's in particular makes me feel like shit, so I haven't had any in years.

But other places work out ok. Pizza is my personal weakness, and home made beer on tap is probably the worst thing for me, health wise.

With respect to nutrition, I think you're playing the long game eating well. Small things will add up and catch up to you. My cholesterol and everything is in good shape, so maybe that's helping.

Is life worth living without pizza and beer? For me, the answer is Hell No! :haha:

But yeah, agreed that eating better long term will pay dividends when you're older. Also satisfaction from the hobby and that if you do as much yourself at home that you actually know what's going in your body.

WarrenC12
Feb 17, 2023, 9:18 PM
Now that you mention it, the guys I know who home brew seem to be happy to pour out a mug at the drop of a hat...

Days that end in Y!

I would say I consciously monitor my intake now, since it's always "an option".

WarrenC12
Feb 17, 2023, 9:21 PM
But yeah, agreed that eating better long term will pay dividends when you're older. Also satisfaction from the hobby and that if you do as much yourself at home that you actually know what's going in your body.

The beer brewing was a pandemic hobby that just kept growing. Like anything, there's always a new tool of piece of equipment to buy, but the cost to produce the beer itself is cheap. It's fun and satisfying.

My wife started the bread baking before, and it's definitely a case of "knowing what goes in" for both activities I think. She does sourdough, "sandwich" loaves, english muffins, and of course, pizza dough.

Any of that stuff fresh out of the oven with a little butter is :slob: :slob: :slob:

urbandreamer
Feb 17, 2023, 9:50 PM
I feel like my parents were 40-50 years ahead of this trend of DIY - sewing, gardening, canning, baking, home brewing (wine mostly), solar power. They tried making cheese, butter, ice cream and yogurt a few times. (Apparently yogurt was mostly an Eastern European/Jewish thing in the 1940s-50s when my grand parents made it?) Harrowsmith magazine was a big part of my childhood (the original hippy version, not the 1990s gentrified city slicker version.) My parents read books by H.J. Massingham, Henry Williamson (my favorite author) & other English rural writers from the early 1900s.

WhipperSnapper
Feb 17, 2023, 9:51 PM
You didn't tell any neighbours you had yeast for the first half of 2020. It was impossible to find. Everyone was instead trying to make sourdough

WarrenC12
Feb 17, 2023, 10:14 PM
I feel like my parents were 40-50 years ahead of this trend of DIY - sewing, gardening, canning, baking, home brewing (wine mostly), solar power. They tried making cheese, butter, ice cream and yogurt a few times. (Apparently yogurt was mostly an Eastern European/Jewish thing in the 1940s-50s when my grand parents made it?) Harrowsmith magazine was a big part of my childhood (the original hippy version, not the 1990s gentrified city slicker version.) My parents read books by H.J. Massingham, Henry Williamson (my favorite author) & other English rural writers from the early 1900s.

Well they were 50 years ahead or 50 years behind, take your pick.

My wife makes (vegan) butter, and yogurt, which is pretty easy in the world of Instant Pots. I do some gardening but I end up growing the easy stuff.

manny_santos
Feb 17, 2023, 11:39 PM
Today I grabbed lunch from Whole Foods for the first time since 2019. They were expensive before, but they're insane now. I used to pay around $15 for a meal from their hot buffet counter, today the total came to an eye-popping $26. For what was mostly mac and cheese.

I won't be getting anything but coffee and a muffin from them going forward.

Wigs
Feb 17, 2023, 11:52 PM
Any of that stuff fresh out of the oven with a little butter is :slob: :slob: :slob:

Not many things in life better than fresh bread out of the oven... With some butter spreaded on :slob

Loco101
Feb 18, 2023, 12:02 AM
Today I grabbed lunch from Whole Foods for the first time since 2019. They were expensive before, but they're insane now. I used to pay around $15 for a meal from their hot buffet counter, today the total came to an eye-popping $26. For what was mostly mac and cheese.

I've never been to a Whole Foods just because I've heard how expensive they are but that is a pretty crazy price for what sounds to be a self-serve counter.

urbandreamer
Feb 18, 2023, 12:30 AM
Have you been to Radical Garden Market? WF is like a giant version of that, although I haven't been to Timmins yet (will try to plan a camping trip along 101/11.)

Wigs
Feb 18, 2023, 12:38 AM
I've never been to a Whole Foods just because I've heard how expensive they are but that is a pretty crazy price for what sounds to be a self-serve counter.

Also why make Jeff Bezos richer. He owns Whole Foods aka Whole Wallet.

urbandreamer
Feb 18, 2023, 12:42 AM
Whole Paycheck. I know a rich girl who exclusively shops at Yorkville WF: spends $400 weekly for two then is too cheap to tip the delivery driver. I don't eat out with her anymore, embarrassing dealing with her antics and rude behavior towards servers.

SpongeG
Feb 18, 2023, 2:23 AM

it's like a steam table buffet and you get a container and pay by the weight, its very expensive. You really never know what it will cost till you check out. Its like buying bulk food and you think two scoops of smarties can't cost that much and end up being like $10, when you could have just bought a bag cheaper.

Other foods can be ok, I noticed a few weeks ago most of the produce was somewhat cheaper in comparison to Superstore prices. For instance a romaine was only 3.99 at whole foods compared to 5.99 at superstore at that time.

https://s3-media0.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/IXKMS4IiLb98W0q0W9iRag/o.jpg
yelp

1overcosc
Feb 18, 2023, 2:41 AM

Harrowsmith magazine is named after Harrowsmith, Ontario which is just north of Kingston. Frontenac County (Kingston's rural hinterland) had a big influx from the 1970s "back to the land'ers" movement and while that movement peaked and declined, the area is still a prominent centre for homesteading-type lifestyles. A lot of the canning and baking stuff I've learned these last few years, I've picked up from these folks when they come into Kingston to sell stuff.

urbandreamer
Feb 18, 2023, 4:14 AM
^Yes, a few year's ago I explored Harrowsmith Ontario and surrounding towns. Love it, although I imagine it was better in the '70s. My grandmother was a writer and associated with these beatnik hippies, introducing us to the Harrowsmith founder James Lawrence. Hung out at Al Purdy's PEC A frame cottage etc.

manny_santos
Feb 18, 2023, 3:59 PM
it's like a steam table buffet and you get a container and pay by the weight, its very expensive. You really never know what it will cost till you check out. Its like buying bulk food and you think two scoops of smarties can't cost that much and end up being like $10, when you could have just bought a bag cheaper.

Other foods can be ok, I noticed a few weeks ago most of the produce was somewhat cheaper in comparison to Superstore prices. For instance a romaine was only 3.99 at whole foods compared to 5.99 at superstore at that time.

https://s3-media0.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/IXKMS4IiLb98W0q0W9iRag/o.jpg
yelp

They do have a decent coffee and muffin deal, at least at the location I occasionally visit in Burnaby. I think it’s $3.99, but the muffin is massive and good quality. Good coffee too.

WarrenC12
Feb 18, 2023, 4:02 PM

Well, they price by weight. Buying dense low cost food (mac and cheese) is not the greatest idea. :D

WarrenC12
Feb 18, 2023, 4:03 PM
Hot take: Whole Foods isn't that expensive. They have great quality produce and other stuff, and when you compare to similar quality at "cheaper" places, you're as good or better.

Yes they have some ridiculous items, don't buy them. Galen Weston and friends have you fooled.

savevp
Feb 19, 2023, 11:18 PM
Hot take: Whole Foods isn't that expensive.

A hot take indeed. I think just about anyone else who's ever shopped at Whole Foods would beg to differ.

Wigs
Feb 20, 2023, 12:01 AM
A hot take indeed. I think just about anyone else who's ever shopped at Whole Foods would beg to differ.

That hot taek-away from the Whole Foods prepared foods buffet just cost him $27.59 :D

WarrenC12
Feb 20, 2023, 4:12 PM

I'm not sure where you are, but we have a WF and Save On across the street from each other. Some comparison shopping would be enlightening.

Another hot take: Walmart isn't that cheap. They have some loss leaders and great deals, but if you compare their groceries 1:1 with a lot of other places you'll see it's not great.

Don't trust me, do your own research. ;)

WarrenC12
Feb 20, 2023, 4:15 PM
They do have a decent coffee and muffin deal, at least at the location I occasionally visit in Burnaby. I think it’s $3.99, but the muffin is massive and good quality. Good coffee too.

I go there from work on occasion. Easily the best deal in the city, you can get an Americano as the coffee portion. And no tip prompt on the card machine. :D

savevp
Feb 20, 2023, 4:22 PM
And no tip prompt on the card machine. :D

Thank god for small miracles :gkwillie:

Loco101
Feb 20, 2023, 9:47 PM
I'm not sure where you are, but we have a WF and Save On across the street from each other. Some comparison shopping would be enlightening.

Another hot take: Walmart isn't that cheap. They have some loss leaders and great deals, but if you compare their groceries 1:1 with a lot of other places you'll see it's not great.

Don't trust me, do your own research. ;)

I agree that Walmart isn't all that cheap. Many big selling items have lower prices but everything else can be more than many grocery stores. You definitely have to learn which items are worth buying at each store.

casper
Feb 21, 2023, 11:37 AM
Thank god for small miracles :gkwillie:

Spending some time in Europe. I don't think the machines over here even have a tip function. As it should be.

We need to see minimum wage go up and an end to the tip culture. It is out of control.

MonctonRad
Feb 21, 2023, 12:32 PM
We need to see minimum wage go up and an end to the tip culture. It is out of control.

I would be in favour of this.

It would also come with the bonus of tax fairness, as not all service industry workers are absolutely virtuous when it comes to declaring their irregular "tip" income on their income tax forms. :rolleyes:

savevp
Feb 21, 2023, 1:49 PM
I'd like to see mandated 'no tip' options and a mandatory option of 12% or less on all machines. There's no impetus for government to implement that legislation, but it would be nice.

I recently took a client to dinner at Treadwell Restaurant in Niagara-on-the-Lake and was appalled to see tip options of 20,25,and 50! The nerve to ask for a 50% tip on a ±100$ meal is beyond the pale. And then a tip to the taxi driver (as if). It's out of control.

MolsonExport
Feb 21, 2023, 2:01 PM
I go there from work on occasion. Easily the best deal in the city, you can get an Americano as the coffee portion. And no tip prompt on the card machine. :D

Fucking tips and "donations to charity" prompts are everyfuckingwere nowadays. No, I don't think I need to tip when I go pick up the pizza myself (even though I will gladly toss a toonie in the jar: just don't fucking make me have to navigate the bullshit 15% minimum (with 18% and 20%...or MORE!!) or decline option at a fucking Pizza Hut or whatnot.

Tips used to be 15% calculated BEFORE TAXES, for exceptional service. Now if you tip 15% after taxes, you are treated like a cheap prick. At some places, the options are 18%, 20% and 25%. Come fucking on!

I could rant for hours about how Galen Weston's stores (and the awful LCBO) beg for "charity" money at every automated checkout. You pay the charity, they get the tax credit. Fuck Galen Weston and his ilk. Fuck 'em.

MolsonExport
Feb 21, 2023, 2:05 PM
Canada's tipping culture is flawed and there's no clear fix in sight: experts (https://www.cbc.ca/radio/checkup/canada-tips-gratuities-living-wage-1.6587896)

From oil changes to take-out food, the "tip nudge" has quickly become a "well-established societal norm" in Canada, according to food economist Mike von Massow.

Card payment machines have made it simple for businesses to prompt a gratuity option, even in industries where tipping previously wasn't part of the cost or conversation. And data from Canadian trade associations show the average percentage tip for restaurant dining has gone up since the pandemic began.

Von Massow, who's also a professor at the University of Guelph, says the expectation for Canadians to increase the amount of their gratuities is getting out of control, and has become a hot-button issue across the country.

"I went to my local craft brewery the other day, just to the bottle shop, to pick up a couple of cans of my favourites," von Massow said. "When I was paying there, literally someone grabbed beer out of the fridge and gave it to me and I was prompted to tip in that circumstance."

He calls it a "double whammy" for consumers, with more businesses asking for tips while simultaneously raising their prices.

"You know, I've started to wonder if I give a particularly good lecture, should I put a jar at the front of the lecture hall at the end, and as they file out? Maybe they could drop a few bills in there for me, too. I mean, where does it stop?"

Tip-flation has some restaurants asking for up to 30% in tips (https://www.cbc.ca/radio/costofliving/tipflation-gratuities-1.6555135)

The amount Canadians are being asked to tip when paying with credit or debit cards is going up, according to industry watchers, and it could be encouraging Canadians to be more generous with gratuities.

A survey conducted by Restaurants Canada in April 2022 found that when dining out at a table service restaurant, 44 per cent of 1500 Canadians surveyed said their tips are higher compared to before the COVID-19 pandemic.

Suggested tips are increasing as well, according to CBC Calgary restaurant reviewer Elizabeth Carson, who noted prompts on credit card machines that previously asked for tips of 10 to 20 per cent have now crept up to 18, 20 or 25 per cent.

Carson has also been asked to tip as much as 30 per cent, and said she finds the higher prompts annoying. It's leading to an overall feeling that could be called tip-flation.

wg_flamip
Feb 21, 2023, 6:28 PM

Contrary to popular belief, the skills required to do well in the service industry are not at the minimum-wage level*, and raising minimum wage will have little impact on most people working in the field or on tipping culture. Knocking the entire industry down to $20/hour and no tips will do nothing but exacerbate the on-going labour shortage and degrade the quality of service offered.

*Depending on the price point, your server/bartender may have years (if not decades) of experience in addition to training, certifications and/or formal education.

jonny24
Feb 21, 2023, 8:09 PM
Unpopular opinion maybe:

I don't give shit if/how much they put on the tip machine. "Asking's free", as the saying goes. They'd be dumb not to ask.

Luckily saying "No" is also, in this case literally, free. I'm happy to read the machine options and click a button or two to save 10-20%. Those who feel too shy or "pressured" to not willingly give their own money away can subsidize me :cheers:

svlt
Feb 22, 2023, 1:32 AM
Unpopular opinion maybe:

I don't give shit if/how much they put on the tip machine. "Asking's free", as the saying goes. They'd be dumb not to ask.

Luckily saying "No" is also, in this case literally, free. I'm happy to read the machine options and click a button or two to save 10-20%. Those who feel too shy or "pressured" to not willingly give their own money away can subsidize me :cheers:

Honestly, I agree. I mean the third option is there as a joke always, no one clicks that unless they feel propositioned to or are hitting on the server (or super drunk, or hates their own money). The second option is there for those few restaurants that actually put in a very reasonable, 10 or 12% first option.

The first option should be the one anyone looks at as the barometer. An 18% choice at a fine dining establishment with excellent, attentive and polite service - totally OK.

18% at Joey's because the waitress is a pretty girl but barely comes by to check on you and/or forgets your order - insulting, but not worth going down to 15% for fumbling through the machine.

Any amount for takeout - yeah, I'm with the poster above... thanks for subsidizing me if you tip on those, but I would never, ever feel compelled to tip for something I walk to a counter for and grab and go and wasn't provided an inch of service for.

Innsertnamehere
Feb 22, 2023, 1:55 AM
For me it’s 15% at sit down places the vast majority of the time, 18% if they were above and beyond, 10% for poor, 0% for terrible, and 0% for any other type of place.

If the prompt gives a quick select for one of those, great, if not, I “custom” and hit in my percentage. No percentage override? Congrats, you get my crappy math, rounded down.

Tipping culture is ridiculous and shouldn’t be encouraged. I agree that ultimately people can hit what they want and everyone freaking about “tipflatipn” because of credit card prompts needs to grow a backbone, too though.

Djeffery
Feb 22, 2023, 2:48 AM
I have one restaurant that I used to go to regularly for dinner that I now order take out from every so often (not nearly as often as I used to go there). We did order regularly through covid and tipped a bit higher than we used to, because i felt bad for the staff and I was actually working and making more money. And I was a regular customer. So I still tip like normal when I order takeout from them, because it's them. But other places, no tip on takeout.

I also have an issue with business owners collecting tips. Not talking about taking a piece of the tips their staff make. Actually working and collecting tips on top. Doesn't seem right to me. That same place I mentioned above, I went to later one night and the owner was working the bar as the regular bartender wanted a night off. I ordered, paid in cash and slid the change across the bar to the tip trough. He slid it back and said "tip my staff, not me, I already make enough, but I appreciate the thought". I liked that. But I go get a haircut, and the owner is the guy cutting my hair and he expects a tip. I feel like he's in control of prices, so set them to a fair price and don't expect a tip on top. To me, tips are for a gift to an employee in a generally lower, maybe even underpaid, service job.

kwoldtimer
Feb 22, 2023, 2:53 AM
I have one restaurant that I used to go to regularly for dinner that I now order take out from every so often (not nearly as often as I used to go there). We did order regularly through covid and tipped a bit higher than we used to, because i felt bad for the staff and I was actually working and making more money. And I was a regular customer. So I still tip like normal when I order takeout from them, because it's them. But other places, no tip on takeout.

I also have an issue with business owners collecting tips. Not talking about taking a piece of the tips their staff make. Actually working and collecting tips on top. Doesn't seem right to me. That same place I mentioned above, I went to later one night and the owner was working the bar as the regular bartender wanted a night off. I ordered, paid in cash and slid the change across the bar to the tip trough. He slid it back and said "tip my staff, not me, I already make enough, but I appreciate the thought". I liked that. But I go get a haircut, and the owner is the guy cutting my hair and he expects a tip. I feel like he's in control of prices, so set them to a fair price and don't expect a tip on top. To me, tips are for a gift to an employee in a generally lower, maybe even underpaid, service job.

In general, business owners do not receive tips.

For taxi drivers, you used to just round up the amount and maybe add a buck or two. I think 10%+ has now become the norm.

Unless you want to be rid of coins, I don't see the point of tipping for counter service.

Loco101
Feb 22, 2023, 3:53 AM
I agree with MolsonEx concerning tipping. I'm tired of how greedy some places are getting and especially with the recent inflation.

I also can't stand when businesses raise money for charities from their customers. It really annoys me when big businesses brag about how much they raised and take credit for it like they did something wonderful. Walmart is also really bad with that. And like MolsonEx mentioned, the business is getting a tax break and you aren't if you give.

WarrenC12
Feb 22, 2023, 7:49 PM
If I'm ordering standing up, and/or on an app, no tip. I will for delivery though.

cslusarc
Mar 2, 2023, 10:04 PM
Retail Insider reports that Nordstrom is leaving Canada (http://https://retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2023/03/nordstrom-and-nordstrom-rack-to-exit-canada-and-shut-all-stores/)

People_talking
Mar 2, 2023, 10:05 PM
Extremely disappointing to see, I quite liked nordstroms.

whatnext
Mar 2, 2023, 10:24 PM
Doesn't bode well for Canada's retail reputation. We're the graveyard of US department stores. 2,500 people out of work.

Though Victoria doesn't have a Nordstrom, there was an interesting piece on the news last night how remote work can gut our downtowns:

https://globalnews.ca/news/9520537/downtown-victoria-businesses-impacts-remote-work-policy/

kwoldtimer
Mar 2, 2023, 10:29 PM
Doesn't bode well for Canada's retail reputation. We're the graveyard of US department stores. 2,500 people out of work.

Though Victoria doesn't have a Nordstrom, there was an interesting piece on the news last night how remote work can gut our downtowns:

https://globalnews.ca/news/9520537/downtown-victoria-businesses-impacts-remote-work-policy/

We were a graveyard for Canadian department stores too, so at least we're consistent.

Proof Sheet
Mar 2, 2023, 10:53 PM
Extremely disappointing to see, I quite liked nordstroms.

What next Holt Renfrew and Birks shutting down. ?

I can't say I've ever been in a Nordstroms and it seems like retail is in for hard times. I think the problem is when they started allowing residential into our downtown cores and didn't just have stores that are for the big Saturday shopping event outing.

SpongeG
Mar 3, 2023, 12:48 AM
Nordstrom in the States is apparently having a tough time and one of the obvious things to do to help the company was to shut down its Canadian operations. The e-commerce site will shut down today.

How well-known was Nordstrom in the rest of Canada? Vancouverites and people from BC, at least the ones I know have always shopped there or been there since being a kid in the 80s so it's a well-known name and brand with a bit of a connection for many out here.

kwoldtimer
Mar 3, 2023, 2:09 AM

There's such a thing as "retail reputation"? :shrug:

toaster
Mar 3, 2023, 2:32 AM
Will leave a lot of empty spots in the GTA. Wonder who will pick up some of these spots.. Simons probably wants a downtown Toronto location (either Eaton's centre or the Rack at Yonge/Bloor). I don't know what goes in the Sherway spot, hasn't the old Holt Renfrew has been empty now for years?

I think online shopping, but also price point - the ordinary person is not spending hundreds + on a single item of clothing, when you could look online (or go to Winners) and find a similar style garment at 1/3 the price.

Loco101
Mar 3, 2023, 4:23 AM
What next Holt Renfrew and Birks shutting down. ?

I can't say I've ever been in a Nordstroms and it seems like retail is in for hard times. I think the problem is when they started allowing residential into our downtown cores and didn't just have stores that are for the big Saturday shopping event outing.

Holt Renfrew closing? Probably not. It only has 7 locations and is owned by this guy and his family:
https://media.gettyimages.com/id/860773908/fr/photo/galen-weston-jr-and-alexandra-weston-attend-holt-renfrew-180th-anniversary-hosted-by-mr-w.jpg?s=594x594&w=gi&k=20&c=vEeycRXCySuXW8h_7uImGfygrW_U7w_R6bEcp60xoB0=

Loco101
Mar 3, 2023, 4:24 AM
There's such a thing as "retail reputation"? :shrug:

I believe it is also known as the "the market."

SpongeG
Mar 3, 2023, 4:40 AM
Will leave a lot of empty spots in the GTA. Wonder who will pick up some of these spots.. Simons probably wants a downtown Toronto location (either Eaton's centre or the Rack at Yonge/Bloor). I don't know what goes in the Sherway spot, hasn't the old Holt Renfrew has been empty now for years?

I think online shopping, but also price point - the ordinary person is not spending hundreds + on a single item of clothing, when you could look online (or go to Winners) and find a similar style garment at 1/3 the price.

for people who buy high end luxury brands many of them would prefer to deal directly with the brand itself, ie buy their Gucci bag at a Gucci store or Gucci online as they offer great service and have loyalty programs etc. Many of the department stores in the states seem to be having problems these days. Plus many brands have been pulling out of department stores as they are opening their own stand alone stores. Such as nike has been doing (https://www.forbes.com/sites/sanfordstein/2021/03/26/nike-takes-a-brand-stand-exits-six-more-retailers-including-dsw-urban-outfitters-and-macys/?sh=426455b972e7).

Loco101
Mar 3, 2023, 4:43 AM
Nordstrom in the States is apparently having a tough time and one of the obvious things to do to help the company was to shut down its Canadian operations. The e-commerce site will shut down today.

How well-known was Nordstrom in the rest of Canada? Vancouverites and people from BC, at least the ones I know have always shopped there or been there since being a kid in the 80s so it's a well-known name and brand with a bit of a connection for many out here.

Nordstrom hasn't been doing well for the last number of years like many similar retailers due to fewer people interested in that type of store and especially because of online retailers. I was quite surprised that they even opened up stores in Canada not all that long ago.

I got some laughs reading the comments section of the Toronto Sun article about the closures and what was being blamed for Nordstrom leaving Canada which included:

-the Liberal economic plan

-Justinflation

-the Bank of Canada raising interest rates

-Canada is a very hard country to make a profit in unless you are member of the cartels , banking , cell phone , grocery , government.

-payrolls taxes but especially paying more into EI and CPP

-having to pay workers more money for retail

-Trudeau himself wanted it to happen

urbandreamer
Mar 3, 2023, 5:05 AM
I've never seen so many CRU vacancies on Roncesvalles in the 27 years I've walked that strip. Parkdale too has many empty storefronts as it evolves into a mostly Tibetan and South Asian fast food franchised strip.

I hear HR is in trouble. Since banning foreign investors (not really lol) and the Chinese covid lockdown, luxury retailers have struggled. I know a HR employee who says 90% of their Vancouver sales are to wealthy Chinese.

Truenorth00
Mar 3, 2023, 8:44 PM
From the Ottawa retail thead:

The retail landscape in Canada is looking quite bleak.

This is a country that can't support multiple brands of frozen pizza (https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/nestle-delissio-wind-down-1.6735082). I'm surprised we've not seen more high end retail leaving.

A lot of our "wealthy" are turning out to be overleveraged people living off debt (https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanceCanada/comments/11buhml/buried_in_debt_evaluating_options/). As that cheap capital comes to an end, the retail landscape will have to change too. They won't have the same amount of people living large off their HELOCs anymore.

I have a cousin who works as a stylist at Nordstrom. He just got his call from HR to discuss his severance and the wind down this afternoon. Said he'd expected a while and had started looking for other jobs. Loved his job. But says the slow down in the last year has been pronounced. So not very surprised. They'll be having clearance starting end of March through till the end of May. Lots of nice furniture and art work if anybody is interested.

niwell
Mar 3, 2023, 8:51 PM
I've never seen so many CRU vacancies on Roncesvalles in the 27 years I've walked that strip. Parkdale too has many empty storefronts as it evolves into a mostly Tibetan and South Asian fast food franchised strip.

I will say that most of the places with a "for lease" sign are already spoken for, or in some cases under active renovation. Also been a lot of new places open since/during COVID. I know someone looking for space right now - ideally in Parkdale but willing to be anywhere in this part of the West End. It's actually very hard to find space. You do still of course have the weird owners who are asking far too much and seemingly willing to let their place sit empty indefinitely.

JHikka
Mar 3, 2023, 8:54 PM
Any storefront in a good location that sits empty for too long is because the landlord/leaser is looking for too much money or terms that no retailer will go for. There's no shortage of demand in the market for new retail or food industry.

acottawa
Mar 3, 2023, 8:54 PM
I got some laughs reading the comments section of the Toronto Sun article about the closures and what was being blamed for Nordstrom leaving Canada which included:

-the Liberal economic plan

-Justinflation

-the Bank of Canada raising interest rates

-Canada is a very hard country to make a profit in unless you are member of the cartels , banking , cell phone , grocery , government.

-payrolls taxes but especially paying more into EI and CPP

-having to pay workers more money for retail

-Trudeau himself wanted it to happen

The spending power of most Canadians has fallen off a cliff, whether you believe in Justinflation or not.

WarrenC12
Mar 3, 2023, 9:04 PM
Any storefront in a good location that sits empty for too long is because the landlord/leaser is looking for too much money or terms that no retailer will go for. There's no shortage of demand in the market for new retail or food industry.

With no rent controls in commercial spaces, why not sign cheaper leases and leave it open for increases later?

I see CRUs all the time that are empty for months and years. :shrug: