PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Retail Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81

kwoldtimer
Nov 24, 2012, 7:14 PM
I understand. And so you guys started the Black Friday thing long ago and now it's probably just coming here because it's already everywhere else on the mainland?

It's also big in San Salavdor, El Salvador so go figure...:shrug:

eternallyme
Nov 24, 2012, 10:34 PM
I understand. And so you guys started the Black Friday thing long ago and now it's probably just coming here because it's already everywhere else on the mainland?

2009 was the watershed year - that was when retailers in Canada noticed they were being destroyed. They made a feeble and quiet effort in 2010, and intensified last year. But this year the difference is hardly noticeable.

neilson
Dec 5, 2012, 4:16 AM
Boxing Day is our Black Friday. Always has been. And Sponge is correct about our mentality toward Christmas things before Remembrance Day. October is all about Hallowe'en, so it is too early for Christmas stuff, and the first 11 days of November are solemn. November 12th might work but that is both fairly close to Black Friday and too soon after Remembrance Day. It also chances which day of the week it is on so what would we call it?
I just think Black Tuesday wouldn't be a bad idea, at least for 1 year. Thanksgiving Monday, Black Tuesday, and you can still keep Halloween and Remembrance Day. After all, we do shopping before Veteran's Day, and we begin to look ahead toward Christmas now after Columbus Day(same day as Canadian Thanksgiving) anyway, so why not ya'll.

memememe76
Dec 5, 2012, 5:38 AM
They talked about it on the local news and interviewed people who said they prefer having the sales before Christmas then on Boxing Day.

This confuses me. At least for most Americans, Black Friday is a holiday, as it is part of Thanksgiving festivities (I guess? I have no idea why their Thanksgiving doesn't fall on a Friday or Monday). As is Boxing Day. No one has to take a day off from work to shop til they drop. I just do not seeing Canadians en masse taking a day off from work so they can get a great deal. I certainly don't see a Canadian govt calling a certain day an official holiday so people can shop.

And Black Tuesday sounds dreadful and totally disrespectful.

I don't see why Boxing Day can't just be what it is. Don't people get gift cards these days, anyway?

SpongeG
Dec 5, 2012, 7:16 AM
in vancouver a lot of people go across for black friday because the shops are so close and you can get some shopping in and be back home for work, if you work later in the morning or start afternoon - i went across a few times and we were in lines which were mostly canadians, the group of women in front of us do it every year they go down and get a hotel room and stay the day shopping, but recent years the stores have been opening thursday night so a lot of people would go down after work thursday shop all night and be at work friday morning

i like boxing day too but its not very good when you need or are wanting to buy gifts for christmas - its great for personal shopping though

Biff
Dec 5, 2012, 2:59 PM
....is a restaurant retail related? First one in Canada - Yay!

Brandon lands first Qdoba - Timing crucial to inking deal with U.S. chain

By: Murray McNeill

Colin Corneau / Brandon Sun Laird Lidster has opened a Qdoba Mexican Grill outlet in Brandon. He snagged the deal because he had a location picked.

Winnipeg isn't always the first place U.S. retail chains land when they jump into Manitoba.

Qdoba Mexican Grill, a chain with 630 outlets in the U.S., opened its first Manitoba outlet on Monday -- in Brandon. In fact, it's the first franchise in Canada.

The same thing happened in 2010 when the Five Guys Burgers and Fries chain made its Manitoba debut with a franchise outlet in Brandon. It was more than 18 months later before the first Five Guys eatery opened in Winnipeg.

The owners of the Qdoba franchise -- Brandon's Laird Lidster and his wife, Tracy -- and Qdoba spokesman Bill Nelsen said timing is the reason Brandon landed the first outlet in Canada.

READ MORE.......
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...182139441.html

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition December 5, 2012 B3

thomax
Dec 12, 2012, 7:34 PM
Here is a promotional video for Hamilton's new downtown supermarket. This will be the flagship store.

6u_2N1fEZDM

SpongeG
Dec 13, 2012, 7:55 AM
west elm is opening its new store concept - west elm market in vancouver on dec 20th just a few doors down from the west elm store

First Canadian West Elm Market to Open in Vancouver this December

BROOKLYN, NY, Dec. 10, 2012 /CNW/ - Home furnishings retailer West Elm, a member of the Williams-Sonoma, Inc. (NYSE:WSM - News) portfolio of brands, announced today the opening of its first West Elm Market store in Canada on December 20, 2012. Following the opening of West Elm Market's inaugural store in Brooklyn, this second store is slated for 2951 Granville Street, in the same block as the brand's décor store.

West Elm Market Vancouver will focus on functional design with a collection of genuine and useful household goods, offering customers a total home toolkit in four key categories: Kitchen, Garden, Care & Repair and Personal Care. The store will feature a café in collaboration with neo-traditional coffee roasters La Colombe Torrefaction. There will be community-driven events and classes held at a communal table in the center of the store.

"Following the opening of our West Elm store in September we knew Granville Street was the right neighbourhood for the first West Elm Market in Canada," said Jim Brett, President of West Elm. "The Market store is designed to be a place to gather and learn, with the idea of sharing and connecting with the community."
"West Elm Market is a natural extension of the West Elm brand," added Laura Alber, President and Chief Executive Officer of Williams-Sonoma, Inc. "We are thrilled to introduce this new assortment of expertly curated products in an innovative community store."

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/west-elm-market-tools-wonderful-140000525.html

http://weblog.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/12-10-vancouver-market-1-290x290.jpg
http://blog.westelm.com/

http://blog.westelm.com/2012/12/10/west-elm-market-vancouver-opens-thursday-december-20/

kwoldtimer
Dec 13, 2012, 1:30 PM
Here is a promotional video for Hamilton's new downtown supermarket. This will be the flagship store.

6u_2N1fEZDM

Looks nice. Wish we had something like that in Downtown Kitcener.

SpongeG
Jan 7, 2013, 9:55 PM
from facebook:

Bath & Body Works Canada
We are excited to announce the following Spring 2013 new store openings!

March 2013
Cornwall Centre – Regina, Saskatchewan

April 2013
McAllister Place – St John, New Brunswick

May 2013
Medicine Hat Mall – Medicine Hat, Alberta
Park Place Mall - Lethbridge, Alberta

craneSpotter
Jan 8, 2013, 9:21 PM
Amazon extends unlimited 2-day shipping Prime plan to Canada

LINDA NGUYEN
Toronto — The Canadian Press - The Globe and Mail (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/amazon-extends-unlimited-2-day-shipping-prime-plan-to-canada/article7028998/)
Tuesday, Jan. 08 2013

Amazon is bringing its unlimited, two-day shipping service to Canada.

The world’s largest online retailer says starting today, Amazon Prime will be on offer to Canadian customers for an annual fee of $79.

The service is already available in the U.S. and six other countries.

Amazon says the two-day shipping guarantee will be offered in most of Canada. Customers in rural areas, particularly in the North or the Maritimes, can get unlimited shipping but without the two-day guarantee.

He says the company was ready to bring Amazon Prime to Canada once its second fulfillment facility was opened in Delta, B.C., south of Vancouver in the fall.

It also operates a similar facility in Mississauga, Ont., west of Toronto that assists with filling Canadian customer orders.

Amazon.ca sells millions of items including English and French books, CDs, DVDs, electronics, sports and outdoors products, as well as baby, home and garden products.

SpongeG
Jan 9, 2013, 6:26 AM
nice, i've just placed an order with amazon - been doing a lot more online shopping since i've moved to such a remote place - i just wish amazon.ca had as much to offer as amazon.com does

vid
Jan 10, 2013, 3:26 AM
Every time I have ordered from Amazon, they usually give a deadline of 3 to 5 weeks after the order day but I get it usually within a week.

Jimby
Jan 13, 2013, 5:32 PM
The world's first Canon store is opening soon in Eighth Avenue Place. Called Image Square.

http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/categoryHome?msegid=2&catid=20494

davidivivid
Jan 23, 2013, 6:23 PM
Three different sources have confirmed that IKEA will make a comeback in Quebec City after closing its store back in 1996. One source is adamant that the decision has already been made and that the opening could be as soon as late 2013, early 2014.

http://www.fm93.com/regional/nouvelles/ikea-de-retour-dans-la-region-de-quebec-202842.html

Martin Mtl
Jan 23, 2013, 8:46 PM
Three different sources have confirmed that IKEA will make a comeback in Quebec City after closing its store back in 1996. One source is adamant that the decision has already been made and that the opening could be as soon as late 2013, early 2014.

http://www.fm93.com/regional/nouvelles/ikea-de-retour-dans-la-region-de-quebec-202842.html

I've never understood why they left in the first place.

SpongeG
Jan 23, 2013, 8:52 PM
IKEA is in expansion mode again after slowing down a few years, they want to open as lot more stores until 2015 (i think) i read somewhere about more north american stores

Ramako
Jan 23, 2013, 9:14 PM
Halifax (and in fact the Maritimes as a whole) could use an Ikea in the worst way. The town is rife with college students who love this stuff. Before I left Halifax I was able to sell all of my used Ikea furniture on kijiji for almost what I paid. Demand is high.

eternallyme
Jan 23, 2013, 11:38 PM
They could also use one in Southwestern Ontario (probably London or Kitchener?).

kwoldtimer
Jan 24, 2013, 12:58 AM
They could also use one in Southwestern Ontario (probably London or Kitchener?).

Perhaps in the Woodstock area on the 401? That would catch both London and K-C-W.

isaidso
Jan 24, 2013, 9:27 AM
Halifax (and in fact the Maritimes as a whole) could use an Ikea in the worst way. The town is rife with college students who love this stuff. Before I left Halifax I was able to sell all of my used Ikea furniture on kijiji for almost what I paid. Demand is high.

Halifax was actually the first city in north America to get an IKEA. Halifax also used to have a Volvo plant. I guess Swedish companies don't stick around too long out east.

davidivivid
Jan 24, 2013, 3:43 PM
I've never understood why they left in the first place.

Well, let's just say that 1995-1996 was a low point for Quebec City: high umemployment, Nordiques being sold and IKEA closing... Let's just say Quebec City has reinvented itself since then!!

West_aust
Jan 24, 2013, 7:03 PM
Well, let's just say that 1995-1996 was a low point for Quebec City: high umemployment, Nordiques being sold and IKEA closing... Let's just say Quebec City has reinvented itself since then!!

Now they are denying their interest in coming back to Quebec City
http://www.lesaffaires.com/secteurs-d-activite/commerce-et-produits-de-consommation/ikea-nie-vouloir-revenir-a-quebec/553467

davidivivid
Feb 5, 2013, 7:12 PM
Simons to keep expanding:

Here's some good news. Better late than never:
http://www.retail-insider.com/

La Maison Simons Confirms Canada-Wide Store Search

Peter Simons confirms he is actively seeking space for La Maison Simons stores in Vancouver, Toronto and Ottawa-Gatineau.

read it all here:

LeftCoaster
Feb 5, 2013, 7:27 PM
Yep.

They just worked out the details of a new store yesterday. Will be announced soon I'm sure.

Acajack
Feb 5, 2013, 8:24 PM
Simons to keep expanding:

I was talking to someone yesterday who works in a government office that is precisely in the space at Les Promenades de l'Outaouais in Gatineau where a Simons is rumoured to be going. They have been told to expect to move offices in the short term as the mall's owners want to take back the space for a big retailer.

Also, that link shows a render for the Gatineau Simons that I don't think I have ever seen before.

davidivivid
Feb 20, 2013, 7:31 PM
Good news for Simons:

La Maison Simons West Edmonton Mall Wins 'Retail Store of the Year' Award

West Edmonton Mall's La Maison Simons department store has won Chain Store Age's prestigious 'International Store of the Year' Award. Simons opened its Edmonton store October 2012 as we previously reported. The store was designed by Toronto-based figure3 and will be profiled in Chain Store Age's March issue along with other category winners......

read it all here:

SpongeG
Mar 6, 2013, 11:27 AM
target opened three pilot stores in ontario tuesday

did anyone go check it out yet?

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/archives/sunnews/business/media/2013/03/20130305-145051-g.jpg
Credits: Dave Thomas/Toronto Sun/QMI Agency

SteelTown
Mar 6, 2013, 1:42 PM
It's a Zellers with a Starbucks.

Their clothing is better quality though. No amazing deals, same pricing all around really. They have 5% back if you get the Redcard.

kwoldtimer
Mar 6, 2013, 1:59 PM

Their clothing is better quality though. No amazing deals, same pricing all around really. They have 5% back if you get the Redcard.

Correction - it's a cleaner, better run Zellers. Sears Canada should be very, very worried.

Coldrsx
Mar 6, 2013, 3:06 PM
Lego is putting in a company store in our Southgate mall here in Edmonton, heck yes!

SpongeG
Mar 6, 2013, 11:00 PM

the reviews i've read people don't seem too impressed, they said the prices were higher and it felt just like zellers

and some target fans who shop in the US stores were disappointed with the canadian version

SteelTown
Mar 6, 2013, 11:15 PM
It almost looks identical to Zellers with the red and white colouring and same aisles format. Even the friggin uniforms are almost identical to Zellers, red top with khakis pants.

Here's a video from CHCH showing you what it looks like inside
http://www.chch.com/home/item/11834-target-canada-ready-for-launch-tomorrow

vid
Mar 6, 2013, 11:57 PM
I have been saying that Target is just a cleaner Zellers for years. They even used the same colour scheme in the early 2000s. The store map of the Target in Duluth was exactly the same as the store map for the Zellers across the street from my childhood home (which we went to every week, my grandparents always went to the Zellers restaurant for breakfast on Saturday). Each department had the same colour, they were in the same places, the restaurant was in the same location and served a nearly identical country. I actually walked away from that experiencing thinking that Target and Zellers were the same company. Zellers probably copied Target and not the other way around, but still, they're basically the same thing. Target just does it a little bit better.

But don't tell this to a Target fanboy! :rolleyes:

Wigs
Mar 7, 2013, 12:04 AM
still better than Zellers. Some Zellers stores were so ghetto, one would be embarrassed to be Canadian when walking through the store :D

vid
Mar 7, 2013, 12:31 AM
The ones that help themselves up to standards (like the one beside a Sears here in Thunder Bay) weren't bad.

SpongeG
Mar 7, 2013, 7:07 AM
most zellers were pretty bad, for every good one there must have been 5 bad ones

i like target cause it has great sales and a lot of hard to find things/brands - at least in canada, they are plentiful down in target :)

whatnext
Mar 7, 2013, 7:27 AM
The Bay is going back to being The Hudsons Bay Co. Yawn, dull, just as the Sixties were coming back into a Mad Men inspired vogue, the Bay goes in the opposite direction:

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/03/06/the-bay-gets-a-new-logo-for-first-time-in-almost-50-years/

kwoldtimer
Mar 7, 2013, 1:09 PM
I think they're moving in the right direction. They need to move up market if they hope to compete with Nordstroms, and even with an expanding Simons.

SteelTown
Mar 7, 2013, 3:44 PM
Target misses the bullseye

http://www.thestar.com/life/fashion_style/2013/03/05/target_misses_the_bullseye.html

SpongeG
Mar 7, 2013, 8:41 PM
not a very good review but it is a soft opening and it will give target time to get these problems sorted out before it fully opens - sounds like they have a lot of work to do if they want to impress canada

Shinook
Mar 7, 2013, 9:04 PM
Meh, Target is nothing but a glorified, Americanized Zellers giving Canadians false hopes of providing American retail prices in Canada. If it's bargains you are looking for, you will still have to make that trip south of the border.

SpongeG
Mar 8, 2013, 6:25 AM
i just want to be able to buy mrs meyers soap - thats really all i need and target is one of the few stores who carries the full line, whole foods used to carry it but they stopped a couple years ago :(

manny_santos
Mar 8, 2013, 11:52 PM
Meh, Target is nothing but a glorified, Americanized Zellers giving Canadians false hopes of providing American retail prices in Canada. If it's bargains you are looking for, you will still have to make that trip south of the border.

The way the Canadian dollar has been going, shopping in the U.S. may not be quite as attractive this summer as it has been the past couple of years. For me though, the dollar would have to go back below 75 cents before I would consider buying another pair of running shoes in Canada.

vid
Mar 9, 2013, 2:13 AM
Target in the US also sells a line of products featuring the face of Giada de Laurentiis. I am going to fill my home with them. I will build a shrine. It will be awesome.

SpongeG
Mar 27, 2013, 9:58 PM
Ottawa store? Simons tweets yes

OTTAWA — Trendy Quebec retailer Simons confirmed in a Twitter message Wednesday that it is coming to Ottawa in 2015.

The message came after widespread but unsourced reports in recent weeks that the retailer would be opening at the Rideau Centre mall around the same time another well-known clothier, Nordstrom, would also open shop.

Simons chief executive officer Peter Simons refused to give interviews on Wednesday.

However, while replying to a comment on Twitter just after noon, the company let the news slip. Twitter user “evermovingKat” posted, “@Simons_eng (the company’s official Twitter account) coming to the #Ottawa Rideau Centre! … in 2015.”

The company’s account responded: “We’re very happy! See you soon.”

Cindy VanBuskirk, general manager of the Rideau Centre, would neither confirm or deny that Simons is moving in.

Where Simons will locate within the Rideau Centre is unclear. The mall is preparing for two major projects, a renovation of its existing space and a proposed expansion. The two projects could represent $250 million worth of construction at the iconic downtown shopping centre.

VanBuskirk said plans for the renovation of the existing mall, which will move the food court to the area underneath the old Sears store and make way for Nordstrom, are moving along, but the expansion is on hold while the mall waits for proper approvals. The City of Ottawa has still not granted approval for the expansion, but more important, the board of directors for Cadillac Fairview, which owns the mall, has not yet approved the expansion. VanBuskirk said the board is expected to make a decision in June.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Ottawa+store+Simons+tweets/8160819/story.html#ixzz2OmPxBzZT

SpongeG
Mar 27, 2013, 10:00 PM
Target Canada president says Canada-U.S. price parity not in the cards for new stores

By Hollie Shaw, CD Out - All March 27, 2013

Target Canada president Tony Fisher addressed Tuesday the sticker shock gripping some consumers who expected the retailer’s prices would be on par with its U.S. stores when it opened outlets across the country this month.

The hot-button issue of Canada-vs.-U.S. retail pricing was the subject of a Senate committee report this year and resurfaced in last week’s federal budget when the government announced it would drop tariffs on hockey gear and baby clothing.

Fisher told a Canadian Club of Toronto luncheon that Target, which has opened 20 stores in Ontario since the beginning of the month, knew it would have to open stores that would be competitive with other retailers operating in the Canadian market, whether they be U.S.- or Canadian-owned.

“We built this business model to be successful in Canada,” he said, which involved a detailed business analysis of what it takes to compete in the local marketplace alongside other large retailers — most notably, key U.S. rival Walmart.

Read more: http://www.canada.com/Target+Canada+president+says+Canada+price+parity+cards+stores/8155301/story.html#ixzz2OmQMdWxA

MTLskyline
Mar 29, 2013, 4:32 PM
The first hr2 store opened Thursday at Quartier Dix30 in Brossard.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/business/cms/binary/8166273.jpg?size=620x400s
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/business/Holt+Renfrew+opens+first+store+Canada/8166272/story.html

miketoronto
Mar 30, 2013, 1:06 AM
I really don't see the price difference that much between Canada and the USA. I am living in the USA for work at the moment, and I have looked at the exact same products in both countries. The result I have found is that the prices are almost identical.

In fact I find fresh food more expensive in the USA. A bunch of rapini cost $3.50 here in the USA, compared to $1.50 in Toronto.

As for Target, I never got the obsession with it. It is a place to go buy soap and other items of that nature. Not a place for a day out shopping. Unless you count shopping for soap and brooms fun. :)
Target's clothes suck and have no style at all.

SpongeG
Mar 30, 2013, 4:52 PM
i know mrs meyers soap is $3.99 in the states if you can find it in canada it sells for $7.99 - not very many stores carry it, whole foods and superstore used to carry it but the price was double that of the states

i like target for reasons i can't explain, i love the designer collections like nate berkus and dwell etc.

miketoronto
Mar 30, 2013, 4:55 PM
i know mrs meyers soap is $3.99 in the states if you can find it in canada it sells for $7.99 - not very many stores carry it, whole foods and superstore used to carry it but the price was double that of the states

i like target for reasons i can't explain, i love the designer collections like nate berkus and dwell etc.

I think Canadians just think because something is American it is better.

The truth is that American stores used to be great, but really are not anymore.
To see amazing stores you have to go to Europe or Asia.
We just don't know how to do it in North America anymore, except for some of the big cities.

Target is just a renamed Zellers, Woolworths, Woolco, etc. It is no different. Just a good place to get home essentials, and little else.

SpongeG
Mar 30, 2013, 5:02 PM
its fun though
me and my friend can spend hours in a target store

i find food prices to be about the same a bag of chips and a case of pop are ususally priced the same or more down there, i can only compare wa state prices - but they do have a better coupon system which can save you loads, my old coworker lived in the states and loved coupon shopping down there some items would be like 90% off after coupons

Innsertnamehere
Mar 30, 2013, 6:04 PM
I really don't see the price difference that much between Canada and the USA. I am living in the USA for work at the moment, and I have looked at the exact same products in both countries. The result I have found is that the prices are almost identical.

In fact I find fresh food more expensive in the USA. A bunch of rapini cost $3.50 here in the USA, compared to $1.50 in Toronto.

As for Target, I never got the obsession with it. It is a place to go buy soap and other items of that nature. Not a place for a day out shopping. Unless you count shopping for soap and brooms fun. :)
Target's clothes suck and have no style at all.

That's what I have found with the US as well. Food is expensive as hell unless its a fast food joint, but everything else seems to be cheaper. (with obvious exceptions in certain places)

isaidso
Mar 30, 2013, 7:35 PM
You can eat quite cheaply in Canada if you know where to shop, it's other goods where we get ripped off. Retailers have nothing to gain from agreeing that we're being fleeced. They'll argue till they're blue in the face that the prices need to be as high as they're at.

They made a similar argument in the UK. The British said no, and the retail industry buckled. Canadians are far too used to doing as they're told and not rocking the boat. Retailers charge us more because we let them. We're door mats.

Bilingual labeling, different regulations, and taxation should only add marginally to the price of a good, perhaps 2-3%. We're supposed to have a common market with the United States. Sending a product north a further 100km should not equate to the prices that we see in our stores. The 20-30-40-50% premium we pay for many things is ridiculous.

SpongeG
Mar 31, 2013, 7:51 AM
grande prarie, AB - is getting a new shopping place not really a centre i guess a strip mall or a retail development will have homesense, pier 1, bed bath & beyond, bouclair home, osh kosh, carters, bulk barn and a few other stores i couldn't really remember the names of - and target's store exterior looks complete, all signage is up

manny_santos
Mar 31, 2013, 11:24 PM
Bilingual labeling, different regulations, and taxation should only add marginally to the price of a good, perhaps 2-3%. We're supposed to have a common market with the United States. Sending a product north a further 100km should not equate to the prices that we see in our stores. The 20-30-40-50% premium we pay for many things is ridiculous.

Bilingual labeling should make no difference, especially for companies that sell their product in many countries. Coca-Cola for example: one label for Canada, one for the United States, one for Mexico, and so forth. And yet, including tax, a bottle of Coca-Cola in Mexico is typically about a third of the price of the typical price in Ontario (approximately 82 cents vs. $2.25) - and that's with HST being lower than Mexican VAT. The price difference is mostly due to labour costs, and Canadians' willingness to pay more.

vid
Apr 1, 2013, 12:41 AM
Products for Canada and the US get completely reformulated, not just because we have different food regulations, but also because we have different tastes. The different ingredients will affect the costs of simply making the product. Throw in the fact that it's produced locally (and labour does cost more in Canada) and that's the major source of price discrepancies in food products. Canadian-made food is made by Canadians, and Canadians are paid more than Mexicans and Americans for low-wage work. And even if the recipe is the same, we have different labelling requirements for the same thing. In Canada, High Fructose Corn Syrup is supposed to be called Glucose-Fructose, even though it's the exact same thing.

Making labelling bilingual really isn't a major issue, even with labelling regulations. CFIA wants at minimum, 6pt font for ingredients and allergy information, and a full nutrition panel and country of origin, and clear product description on all food products, in both official languages. It can be tricky to accomplish that, but once you've got a basic template down (and that process, which is part of my job, can take a few hours of experimentation to get something that meets those regulations and the customer's expectations) any modifications or expansions to the product line are quite simple to implement. And considering that packaging changes quite often (with seasons, for holidays, or for promotions), a company like Coca Cola would be incurring more design and plate charges for those promotions than they would for the bilingual aspect of the labelling.

The fact that we have two official languages really doesn't show up on the bottom line when it comes to labelling products; it's the customer service aspect. But then for a global company like Coca-Cola, they're going to have to provide service in French for the market in France anyway. If they're in the Quebec market, they're going to hire people in Quebec, and those people will speak French, and provide service in French, just as English speakers would in English parts of Canada or the US. In the Southern US (and increasingly, all of it) packaging is often in English and Spanish (or sometimes English, French and Spanish for export to the entire NAFTA area) and the Spanish speaking labour force in the US is used to provide service to Spanish speakers.

Products in Europe are crazy with their labelling. I live near a Polish deli and use their products a lot; the ingredients lists often cover close to 50% of the label and is in at least 8, sometimes as much as 22, languages, in a font size that is nearly impossible to read.

casper
Apr 1, 2013, 1:55 AM
Bilingual labeling should make no difference, especially for companies that sell their product in many countries. Coca-Cola for example: one label for Canada, one for the United States, one for Mexico, and so forth. And yet, including tax, a bottle of Coca-Cola in Mexico is typically about a third of the price of the typical price in Ontario (approximately 82 cents vs. $2.25) - and that's with HST being lower than Mexican VAT. The price difference is mostly due to labour costs, and Canadians' willingness to pay more.

It comes down to what the market is willing to pay. Safeway will charge differences prices at different locations in the same city. The main reason is the local competition that is near the store and how low the prices have to go to be competitive. At some point the price becomes so low that you can't make a reasonable (or unreasonable) profit and you have to pull out.

In Mexico, the delivery truck driver the delivery the product to the store, that wholesaler that sell the product to the local supermarket, the staff that work in the local supermarket stocking shelves etc. makes a lot less in Mexico that they would working in Canada. The cost of advertising the product on television is going to be lower.

SpongeG
Apr 20, 2013, 8:44 PM
hopefully retail insider is reading this - on your blog it says this... wtf? is nordstorm going in at sherway or square one?

Nordstrom will have less upscale competition at Sherway Gardens, however, as Nordstrom will leave Sherway for a new 120,000 sqaure foot store at Mississauga's Square One Shopping Centre.

miketoronto
Apr 20, 2013, 11:09 PM
hopefully retail insider is reading this - on your blog it says this... wtf? is nordstorm going in at sherway or square one?

Nordstorm will be at Sherway. Holt Renfrew is leaving Sherway for Square One.

Holt Renfrew is a great upscale store, and defiantly more upscale than Nordstrom.
I fear however that Holt Renfrew is going to start watering down its brand with expansion to places like Square One, etc.
They should really just focus on building a nice downtown flagship, and forget having branches everywhere.
You don't see fancy European department stores operate branch stores.

It just loses its style if it can be found in too many places in the region.

I also don't like the suburban focus on the new wave of retail expansion. This is defiantly a more American stye of growth. I don't think we have ever seen so many new to the market stores, or expansion start out in the suburbs, instead of downtown. Our downtowns are really losing out in this expansion of retail.
More than ever before there is going to be more reasons to go the suburbs than downtown for many shoppers. Particularly in cities like Calgary where malls like Chinook are taking all the big name stores. Lets hope Holt Renfrew services in the downtown location.

SpongeG
Apr 21, 2013, 10:11 PM
stores go where the people shop and want them, keeping a store "downtown" is a loss for too many

i know holt renfrew is moving but in their article it says nordstrom is moving - lol perhaps they could use an editor or fact checker for their blog

eternallyme
Apr 23, 2013, 5:05 PM
MikeToronto, you have a hatred for suburbs it sounds like?

yaletown_fella
Apr 24, 2013, 12:04 AM
Cactus Club Cafe is opening a location in the north side of the FCP Podium. Not surprised, it was only a matter of time. This is about as "downtown" in Toronto as you can get!

kevinbottawa
Apr 29, 2013, 4:58 PM
Here are some renderings from the "Rideau Centre Expansion" thread in the Ottawa forum:

New Simons store with a rebuilt heritage facade with proposed pedestrian mall to the left:

http://images.lpcdn.ca/924x615/201304/25/679451-centre-rideau-centres-commerciaux-plus.png

http://images.lpcdn.ca/924x615/201304/25/679448-centre-rideau-centres-commerciaux-plus.png

Proposed pedestrian mall

http://images.lpcdn.ca/924x615/201304/25/679455-centre-rideau-centres-commerciaux-plus.png

Future LRT entrance

http://images.lpcdn.ca/924x615/201304/25/679447-centre-rideau-centres-commerciaux-plus.png

http://images.lpcdn.ca/924x615/201304/25/679445-centre-rideau-centres-commerciaux-plus.png

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/cms/binary/8260992.jpg

Rideau Street is currently a disaster. This will be huge for downtown Ottawa. Plans include both an adjoining condo and a hotel in the future.

neilson
May 3, 2013, 11:01 AM
Here are some renderings from the "Rideau Centre Expansion" thread in the Ottawa forum:

New Simons store with a rebuilt heritage facade with proposed pedestrian mall to the left:

http://images.lpcdn.ca/924x615/201304/25/679451-centre-rideau-centres-commerciaux-plus.png

http://images.lpcdn.ca/924x615/201304/25/679448-centre-rideau-centres-commerciaux-plus.png

Proposed pedestrian mall

http://images.lpcdn.ca/924x615/201304/25/679455-centre-rideau-centres-commerciaux-plus.png

Future LRT entrance

http://images.lpcdn.ca/924x615/201304/25/679447-centre-rideau-centres-commerciaux-plus.png

http://images.lpcdn.ca/924x615/201304/25/679445-centre-rideau-centres-commerciaux-plus.png

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/cms/binary/8260992.jpg

Rideau Street is currently a disaster. This will be huge for downtown Ottawa. Plans include both an adjoining condo and a hotel in the future.
I heard that Simons and Nordstrom have beef with each other. They're gonna be the next Bay vs. Eatons in terms of department store battle royale. Of course, only one could survive the previous department store battle and last I checked, there's no Eatons in the Eaton Centers today.

Gerrard
May 3, 2013, 2:04 PM
I don't think it's a "beef" so much as they share very similar sales models for department stores: tons of private label in-house brands with a smattering of designer wear. So there's a perception they'd probably compete with each other versus competing with a Holt Renfrew (which some people mistakenly think Nordstrom would -definitely a different customer and will be different merchandise) or a Bay which is still a traditional department store (which has upped its game in designer wear in some regions).

Acajack
May 3, 2013, 2:08 PM
I don't think it's a "beef" so much as they share very similar sales models for department stores: tons of private label in-house brands with a smattering of designer wear.

I also find it hard to believe they can have that much of a bitter rivalry where they aren't even in any common malls yet. Ottawa will be the first one I think. Then maybe West Edmonton Mall if Nordstrom decides to go there (Simons is there already).

Gerrard
May 3, 2013, 2:09 PM
I also find it hard to believe they can have that much of a bitter rivalry where they aren't even in any common malls yet. Ottawa will be the first one I think. Then maybe West Edmonton Mall if Nordstrom decides to go there (Simons is there already).

Well even more importantly, both are entering markets they've never been in before. So it's probably a manufactured rivalry by some internet blogger. :-)

SpongeG
May 4, 2013, 8:05 AM
stores can be limited to what they can carry and perhaps simons has snagged some brands that nordstrom planned on carrying, as it is nordstrom apparently can't carry a number of brands in canada due to holt renfrew or the bay having the rights to carry the brands - pretty common in the retail world around the world, even in the states - many stores may carry the same brand but some stores get dibs on certain pieces or colours etc.

if all simons are as nice as the one in edmonton, nordstrom should be nervous, that simons store is amazing, nordstrom is very bland and boring in comparison

SpongeG
May 4, 2013, 6:10 PM
here is what the flagship store in seattle looks like and what pretty much every nordstrom i have ever been inside... can we say ugh

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6188/6077856660_439df7483a_b.jpg

now compared to simons in WEM
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/business/energy-resources/cms/binary/7471369.jpg?size=620x400s

vid
May 4, 2013, 10:39 PM
Nordstrom looks like Sears.

Denscity
May 4, 2013, 11:33 PM

How ironic is that haha.

yaletown_fella
May 5, 2013, 4:28 AM
From what I remember the exterior of the urban Nordstrom stores are often beautiful pre-war terracotta but the interiors haven't been updated for a while (kinda like the Bay 4 years ago)

Nathan
May 5, 2013, 4:36 AM

Or like the Bay in Regina. :yuck:

Sears actually looks better than the Bay in Regina... but to be honest, Walmart looks nicer than both. It doesn't take much to connect the dots as to why both brands aren't all that well thought of here...

SpongeG
May 5, 2013, 9:51 AM
the old nordstrom in seattle was quite ugly imo, they movd over into the old iconic fredrick and nelson dept store sometime in i wanna say 90s, exterior is nice, interior is nothing special - compared to the seatle area stores with which i am most used to or have been to the canadian stores in the renders look a lot nicer, i would never describe nordstrom as cutting edge or risk taking, very bland style overall but impeccable service

seattle head office/flagship store...
http://www.bayley.net/files/Projects/DT-Seattle-Nordstrom/Nordstrom-Downtown-lrg.jpg
bayley.net

sears in grande prarie alberta recently went through a renovation and its looking very good, they don't sell TV's or electronics though - has sears stopped selling TV's etc? or just this store?

miketoronto
May 5, 2013, 3:47 PM
I have always said for what is supposed to be a classy expensive store, Nordstroms design does not fit the bill.

This is the problem with American stores. They cheap out and do not have the style European store have.

Holt Renfrew while not perfect in the design department, still has a more classy look to it.

People also go on and on about the service in Nordstroms. I have walked into Nordstroms dozens of times and have never been greeted by anyone. The service people just walk around and don't acknowledge you unless you go ask them something.
I actually get greeted in Holt Renfrew much more often than ever at Nordstroms.

Simons is known for putting a different design spin on each store. For their downtown Montreal store they even got an artist sculpture designed for the inside. You do not see this kind of care at Nordstroms. They just do the typical suburban branch store look.

When it comes down to it, most North American stores just suck. They have lost their cutting edge style and attitude to be big and great.
Asia and Europe is where the outstanding stores are.

Martin Mtl
May 5, 2013, 4:20 PM
Even though Simon is not as high-end as Holt Renfrew, design-wise there is a lot of care that goes into each one of their store. The Bay and Sears look like Wallmart in comparison. My only reservation about the Montreal's Downtown Simon is that it's too small and therefore too crowded. Even then, the service is impeccable. They make you feel like an important custommer even if all you want is buy a simple t- shirt.

miketoronto
May 5, 2013, 4:48 PM
Even though Simon is not as high-end as Holt Renfrew, design-wise there is a lot of care that goes into each one of their store. The Bay and Sears look like Wallmart in comparison. My only reservation about the Montreal's Downtown Simon is that it's too small and therefore too crowded. Even then, the service is impeccable. They make you feel like an important custommer even if all you want is buy a simple t- shirt.

Their service is good. I called them from Toronto once to order something before they had online shopping. They did not have it in the store, and they actually called every Simons store to find it.

I hope them becoming bigger does not take away that kind of service as it usually does.

isaidso
May 6, 2013, 12:05 AM
I have always said for what is supposed to be a classy expensive store, Nordstroms design does not fit the bill.

When it comes down to it, most North American stores just suck. They have lost their cutting edge style and attitude to be big and great.
Asia and Europe is where the outstanding stores are.

Agree 100%. We have the most basic, uninspired looking department stores in the industrial world these days. It says a lot that people here think those Nordstrom designs look good. If they built something like that in Asia or Europe the competition would eat them for breakfast.

SpongeG
May 6, 2013, 6:15 PM
Target Announces Soft Opening of 24 Stores in Western Canada

Locations opening to the public on May 7 include:

Alberta (10)
Calgary - Chinook Centre
Calgary - Forest Lawn Shopping Centre
Calgary - Market Mall
Edmonton - Bonnie Doon Shopping Centre
Edmonton - Mill Woods Town Centre
Edmonton - West Edmonton Mall
Grande Prairie - Prairie Mall
Red Deer - Bower Place
Sherwood Park - Sherwood Park Mall
St. Albert - St. Albert Centre

British Columbia (9)
Campbell River - Discovery Harbour Shopping Centre
Coquitlam - Coquitlam Centre
Cranbrook - Tamarack Mall
Delta - Scottsdale Mall
Kamloops- Sahali Centre Mall
Langley - Willowbrook Shopping Centre
Nanaimo - Nanaimo North Town Centre
Vernon - Village Green Mall
Victoria - Tillicum Centre

Manitoba (3)
Brandon - Shoppers Mall
Winnipeg - Kildonan Place Shopping Centre
Winnipeg - Southdale Centre

Locations opening to the public on May 14 include:

British Columbia

Prince George - Pine Centre

Alberta

Calgary - Shoppes at Shawnessy

http://pressroom.target.ca/news/target-announces-soft-opening-of-24-stores-in-western-canada

kwoldtimer
May 6, 2013, 8:15 PM
Has anybody else noticed that Target's entry into the Canadian market has not generated much enthusiasm?

Boris2k7
May 6, 2013, 8:20 PM
Has anybody else noticed that Target's entry into the Canadian market has not generated much enthusiasm?

I know a lot of people who have been anxiously waiting.

Obviously though, things are going to be different in southern Ontario, where stores have been open for two months.

kwoldtimer
May 6, 2013, 8:29 PM
I know a lot of people who have been anxiously waiting.

Obviously though, things are going to be different in southern Ontario, where stores have been open for two months.

It seemed to me that there was a bit of anticipation/buzz before the stores actually opened, but that folks down here have been a bit disappointed with the stores once they've checked them out.

SpongeG
May 6, 2013, 9:27 PM
target's entrance has been a bit of a joke, even today target's facebook page was not telling anyone when the stores in the west would open, even after a press release was released

biggest complaints from their page are people saying its not cheap and they will stick to walmart and that it sells the same stuff has zellers did and it looks just like zellers blah blah blah

and than people who shopped regularly at target in the states have complained about the selection being less and prices being higher and will continue to just shop across the border at target - which is handy if you live in vancouver area since there is a target within 15 minutes of the border

vid
May 7, 2013, 1:14 AM
Target is just a Zellers that dresses well.

Doug_Cgy
May 7, 2013, 3:33 AM
target's entrance has been a bit of a joke, even today target's facebook page was not telling anyone when the stores in the west would open, even after a press release was released

biggest complaints from their page are people saying its not cheap and they will stick to walmart and that it sells the same stuff has zellers did and it looks just like zellers blah blah blah

and than people who shopped regularly at target in the states have complained about the selection being less and prices being higher and will continue to just shop across the border at target - which is handy if you live in vancouver area since there is a target within 15 minutes of the border

I'm not taking the comments on their FB page too seriously. A good majority of them remind me of newspaper comments, and we all know how well informed/educated all of those people seem :haha:

SpongeG
May 7, 2013, 8:37 AM
totally the complaints are ridiculous - one person said she would never shop there again because her bill came to $20.10 and she gave the cashier $20 and the cashier made her put 10 cents on her debit card and couldn't understand why they wouldnt let the 10 cents go

lol like really

i am just not impressed that they won't comfirm or at least give an estimate of a store opening - i have to drive about 200 km to get to the closest store and i could have changed a planned shopping trip to include the store opening. oh well

vid
May 8, 2013, 12:15 AM
Who goes shopping with just a single 20 dollar bill? If it came to 20.10 and I had just 20 I would have put the entire thing on debit in the first place.

isaidso
May 8, 2013, 2:28 AM
It seemed to me that there was a bit of anticipation/buzz before the stores actually opened, but that folks down here have been a bit disappointed with the stores once they've checked them out.

I'm always puzzled by hype over most new retail. It's just the same stuff being sold under a different banner. It's not like they're introducing a whole new product category to the Canadian marketplace.

Same old shit, different pile. :uhh:

SpongeG
May 8, 2013, 7:06 AM
it has a pretty loyal following - tarjay as those who love it call it - even oprah

its got cult status amongst fashionistas and such people, the same way some brands stores have like apple, H&M, uniqlo, muji etc.

i love targets marketing and branding

their posters for may 4th were cute

http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/936888_497922530262927_1582789863_n.png

http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/320831_497877463600767_2141336038_n.png

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/923181_497804463608067_1183922243_n.png

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/922689_497707330284447_717631824_n.png

thomax
May 25, 2013, 3:40 PM

6u_2N1fEZDM

- The Redevelopment of Over 55,000 Square Feet of Jackson Square
- Nations Flagship Store
- Hamilton's New Downtown Supermarket
- Opening Spring 2013

To go with my post from a few months ago (above), here are some pictures from inside the new Nations flagship store in Jackson Square. It will have it's grand opening next week:

http://distilleryimage5.ak.instagram.com/a5c9e4cec47a11e280ff22000a9e2923_7.jpg
Source (http://instagram.com/hamiltonecdev/#)

Yogurt Bar:
http://distilleryimage8.s3.amazonaws.com/eb438776c47a11e287d122000a1faff1_7.jpg

Japenese Cuisine:
http://distilleryimage10.s3.amazonaws.com/17baec72c47b11e2a3e722000a9f09d0_7.jpg

Chinese Cuisine:
http://distilleryimage9.s3.amazonaws.com/41d7e802c47b11e2abd122000ae907cd_7.jpg

Pizza/Panini Station:
http://distilleryimage2.s3.amazonaws.com/53e78408c47b11e281d822000a1f9682_7.jpg

Dishes From Around The Globe Station:
http://distilleryimage5.s3.amazonaws.com/929842c8c47b11e282b422000a1f9ab7_7.jpg

Salad Bar:
http://distilleryimage11.s3.amazonaws.com/7df2942cc47b11e2b95622000a9e01c5_7.jpg

vid
May 25, 2013, 3:50 PM
Yogurt Bar:

Gay pride youghourt bar, apparently.

SteelTown
May 25, 2013, 3:57 PM
^
Dishes From Around The Globe Station:
http://distilleryimage5.s3.amazonaws.com/929842c8c47b11e282b422000a1f9ab7_7.jpg

And disco balls! I definitely approve!

Shinook
May 25, 2013, 4:16 PM
Yogurt Bar:

How retro 80s. Ugly.

SpongeG
May 25, 2013, 7:31 PM
looks great

vid
May 25, 2013, 9:58 PM
How retro 80s. Ugly.

Puke green, pee yellow and "the poop tones" are making a comeback! :D My dining room set from 1974 is going to be contemporary again!

Martin Mtl
May 26, 2013, 1:54 PM
That food court is so 70's in its non-design. All this beige.... Brrr..

SpongeG
May 29, 2013, 4:29 AM
Sales at Target Canada Better Than Expected Chief Financial Officer John Mulligan is pleased with sales in Canada

In March, Target opened its first Canadian stores in southern Ontario. Canadians flocked to new stores and pleasantly surprised Target Corp by exceeding the Companies project sales for the first quarter. The overall profits of the chain reported a 26 per cent drop.

Chief Financial Officer John Mulligan says, “Whenever we open a new store in the U.S., there is a rush of traffic and sales as curious guests shop it for the first time. But the rush in Canada exceeded our expectations.”

The Canadian store produced $86 million (USD) in sales despite the fact the stores were open just over half of the quarter that ended on May 4.

http://www.businessreviewcanada.ca/business_leaders/sales-at-target-canada-better-than-expected

SpongeG
May 29, 2013, 5:01 AM
Whole Foods co-CEO says grocer wants to open 40 more stores in Canada

MONTREAL • U.S. grocer Whole Foods Market Inc. says it could open 40 or more stores and eventually tally $1-billion in annual sales in Canada as part of a wider expansion that continues unabated.

“By the time we actually get to the place of being able to open those stores, I expect the market will continue to evolve,” company co-chief executive John Mackey told reporters at the C2-Mtl conference Wednesday. “So it probably is more than that.”

He declined to provide an exact timeline for the expansion.

Austin, Texas-based Whole Foods’ goals for Canada are ambitious considering it has only 9 stores here currently, all of them in B.C. and Ontario. The company, which is the largest U.S. natural and organic supermarket chain, is scouting for a location in Montreal, Mr. Mackey said.

The company went public in 1992 with 12 stores and $92-million in annual sales. It now has about 350 stores, the vast majority of them in the United States, and yearly sales of $12-billion.

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/05/22/whole-foods-says-grocer-wants-to-open-40-more-canadian-stores/

SpongeG
Jun 9, 2013, 5:59 AM
west elm is opening soon in montreal, their 3rd location, 4th f you count west elm market

995 Wellington St, montreal

http://www.westelm.com/customer-service/store-locations/state/canada/