PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Retail Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81

miketoronto
Jun 12, 2013, 1:39 AM
The Hudson's Bay Company has opened one of the worlds largest ladies shoes departments at their Queen Street store in Toronto.

The ladies shoe department is second largest in North America, challenged by only Macy's in Manhattan.

In the world, the only other department stores with larger ladies shoe departments are Selfridges in London, and Galleries Lafayette in Paris.

The Hudson's Bay Queen Street store is the second largest department store in North America, after Macy's in Manhattan. The store has 1 million sq feet.

Boris2k7
Jun 12, 2013, 10:12 PM
Sobeys to buy Canada Safeway for $5.8 billion in blockbuster deal

TORONTO — Supermarket chain operator Empire Co. Ltd. is buying the Canadian assets of grocer Safeway for $5.8 billion.

The Nova Scotia-based parent of the Sobeys chain said Wednesday that the cash deal will boost its presence in Western Canada and give it $1.8 billion of real estate.

The transaction to buy Canada Safeway Ltd., which has 213 stores, will be completed through its wholly-owned Sobeys Inc. subsidiary. Included in the transaction are 199 in-store pharmacies and 62 gas stations on the Safeway properties.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Sobeys+Canada+Safeway+billion+blockbuster+deal/8516440/story.html#ixzz2W2gFftrv

SpongeG
Jun 13, 2013, 12:28 AM
boo don't mess with my safeway :(

MonctonRad
Jun 13, 2013, 12:55 AM

I wonder if they will rebrand them as Sobeys. :)

I think there will ultimately be only two Canadian survivors in the Canadian grocery wars - Loblaws/Superstore and Sobeys. Their competition will be Walmart Supercentres, Costco and Target.

SignalHillHiker
Jun 13, 2013, 1:04 AM
Coleman's is going to survive here. People are far too nationalist to let our own go under.

Beyond that... I can definitely see CostCo wiping out the rest. If Walmart builds a proper grocery here, it'll do very well among the same suburban families as well.

Downtown will always be small places like Water Street Variety (which brings in its fresh and baked goods from Bidgood's Grocery, another local favourite based in Goulds), Belbin's Grocery, etc. In every way, downtown residents prefer one-off local shops to chains. We don't even have a McD's downtown.

The edges of downtown have a regular Sobeys and a massive Dominion (in the former Memorial Stadium). Both are well-used by the surrounding neighbourhoods so I don't think we'll see them close down. That said, there is a Coleman's that's very close to the Sobey's - so Sobey's may want to back out of the downtown a little farther. We'll see.

There's one other 24-hour Dominion (on Blackmarsh) that's relatively close to downtown. It's always packed. I don't think it'll go anywhere.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch.

Sad thing is Safeway is famous for treating its employees exceptionally well. It has a near CostCo-level reputation. I'm sure that's all going downhill now... :(

Also, their chicken pesto deli sandwiches... OMG... their delis offer a fraction of what Sobey's does, but it's all awesome.

Acajack
Jun 13, 2013, 1:47 AM

They might keep the name. Sobeys in Quebec is IGA.

memememe76
Jun 13, 2013, 2:22 AM
I always buy my french bread at Safeway. Will those be gone?

isaidso
Jun 13, 2013, 4:29 AM

Canadian ownership of the domestic grocery industry just jumped significantly though. Safeway Canada is a foreign company and is being taken out by a Canadian company. That's good news for corporate Canada and our economy.

isaidso
Jun 13, 2013, 4:29 AM
They might keep the name. Sobeys in Quebec is IGA.

Still? I thought they would phase that name out over time just like Steinberg and Provigo were.

artvandelay
Jun 13, 2013, 4:45 AM
Damn, this is a shame. Safeway is the only place I shop.

I don't really think Sobey's gains any significant value out of this deal unless they are allowed to retain the Safeway brand in Canada. If they decide to re-brand them all under the Sobey's banner, this deal becomes more of a play to take out the competition and not worth the massive premium they paid. Sobey's probably has the least recognition of the major grocery chains out here, I'd bet that many shoppers would switch to the more familiar Co-op or Save-on-foods.

isaidso
Jun 13, 2013, 4:57 AM
Damn, this is a shame. Safeway is the only place I shop.

I don't really think Sobey's gains any significant value out of this deal unless they are allowed to retain the Safeway brand in Canada. If they decide to re-brand them all under the Sobey's banner, this deal becomes more of a play to take out the competition and not worth the massive premium they paid. Sobey's probably has the least recognition of the major grocery chains out here, I'd bet that many shoppers would switch to the more familiar Co-op or Save-on-foods.

Sobeys needed to bulk up so they could better compete with Loblaws and Walmart. This deal brings increased economies of scale and more financial clout. Before Sobeys was a distant #2; with Safeway Canada they're a strong #2 with $24 billion in sales.

Canada now has 2 big national players with the size needed to prosper. Metro has become the weak 3rd placed firm. They might have to counter and take out Overwaitea. Perhaps Sobeys will eventually take out Metro as well and we'll be left with 3 dominant chains: Sobeys, Loblaws, and Walmart.

artvandelay
Jun 13, 2013, 4:57 AM
It's also funny how attached people are to Safeway. I haven't talked to anyone who has been happy about this.

artvandelay
Jun 13, 2013, 4:59 AM
Sobeys needed to bulk up to be better able to compete with Loblaws and Walmart. Without the economies of scale and financial clout this deal brings, they'd be in a weaker position. They're now a strong #2 with $24 billion is sales.

Canada now has 2 big national players with the size to prosper. Metro has now become the weak 3rd placed firm. They might have to counter and take out Overwaitea.

Oh I agree it's a good deal for them, but it really only makes sense if they keep the Safeway brand (in the west at least).

isaidso
Jun 13, 2013, 5:07 AM
Oh I agree it's a good deal for them, but it really only makes sense if they keep the Safeway brand (in the west at least).

Why? Things get re-branded all the time. Zellers became Target, Eaton's stores were rebranded Sears, Gulf and Texaco became Petro Canada, etc. I highly doubt Sobeys wants to promote the brand of a global rival, nor would Safeway likely want a rival using their brand.

Btw, the west is the only place were Safeway has stores. They're not existent east of Thunder Bay.

Allan83
Jun 13, 2013, 5:11 AM

I think there will ultimately be only two Canadian survivors in the Canadian grocery wars - Loblaws/Superstore and Sobeys. Their competition will be Walmart Supercentres, Costco and Target.

In western Canada if there were only going to be two survivors it would be the Coop (Federated Co-operatives Limited) and Safeway/Sobeys, but I think Loblaws has carved out enough of a niche to survive. And I’m sure there will always be Wal-Marts and Costcos, and chains like Sunterra on the high end side. The Coops have a long history here and people are loyal to them for reasons other than just the fact that they're generally good grocery stores.

Allan83
Jun 13, 2013, 5:15 AM
I agree. Safeway is a very strong brand in the west, and Sobeys still is very new and relatively unknown here. It wouldn't entirely surprise me if the Sobeys name was the one that disappeared in the west.

artvandelay
Jun 13, 2013, 5:30 AM
Why? Things get re-branded all the time. Zellers became Target, Eaton's stores were rebranded Sears, Gulf and Texaco became Petro Canada, etc.

Btw, the west is the only place were Safeway has stores. They're not existent east of Thunder Bay.

I don't think you understand. Sobey's is already here. For example - in my neighbourhood I have a Safeway, Co-op, and Sobey's. My order of preference for these is Safeway>Co-op>Sobey's. If they integrate their back of house operations but keep the in-store experience the same, it's likely that I keep shopping at Safeway. If I only have Sobeys and Co-op to choose from, it's likely I go to Co-op.

Safeway has a massive amount of brand loyalty in the west, they've been here since the 1930s while Sobeys has virtually none. It wouldn't make sense for them to rebrand everything under the weaker brand.

I highly doubt Sobeys wants to promote the brand of a global rival, nor would Safeway likely want a rival using their brand.

Unless Sobey's is planning on expanding to the States, there wouldn't be any problem. Things like this happen all the time, for example A&W is completely different in the US and Canada, and Safeway itself had a division in the UK that was owned and operated independently.

davidivivid
Jun 13, 2013, 1:11 PM
Still? I thought they would phase that name out over time just like Steinberg and Provigo were.

Steinberg was phased out but the Provigo brand still is very much alive, even if its reputation has been butchered by executives in Ontario who, after the purchase of Provigo by Loblaws, expected the Quebec market to behave similarly to that of Ontario's. Provigo was in a strong first position at the time and it has become a distant 3rd or 4th with half the stores it used to have.

Anyway, Loblaws still isn't a strong brand in Quebec, reason why they are investing $100M to change some of their Loblaws stores to new Provigo Le Marché concept stores.

SignalHillHiker
Jun 13, 2013, 1:15 PM
There were still IGAs in rural areas of Newfoundland as well, last I checked. But usually prefaced by a family name, like Farrell's IGA in Marystown. So I don't know if that's even the same thing. There's also Foodland in a lot of rural areas. Dominion dominates outside the city, though, in my experience.

kwoldtimer
Jun 13, 2013, 1:20 PM

When Loblaw's bought Zehrs, they not only retained the name but I think opened additional supermarkets in central southwestern Ontario under the Zehrs name. On the other hand, when Sobeys took over the old Dutch Boy supermarkets in Kitchener, they eventually rebranded them as Sobeys. That was a bit of a risk as the common perception at the time was that K-W shoppers would not patronize a grocery that was not "local" (there was a long history of national chains trying unsuccessfully to penetrate the local market). It seems that perception was not entirely accurate, as the Sobey's continue to operate here (although Zehrs dominates the local market, it seems to me).

In the case of Safeway, I wonder Sobeys won't be obliged to change the name, given the Safeway name in the States? I guess it will depend on what they negotiated in the purchase. Where both Sobey's and Safeway already exist, I suppose stores could be rebranded with some of Sobeys other company banners.

MolsonExport
Jun 13, 2013, 1:29 PM
I remember a time when Steinberg's was the leading supermarket brand in Quebec. Sam Steinberg died, and the family bickered while Rome burned. The pieces fell into the hands of Metro/Provigo, under the good offices of the Quebec Provincial government. Provigo took over most of what was once the Dominion brand in Quebc. The Quebec government vetoed earlier attempts by Loblaws to purchase the Provigo brand. Ironically, for a while, we recently had Metro all over Ontario (after the purchase of A&P/Dominion and related brands). Perhaps Metro thought that Ontarians would behave like Quebeckers (tongue in cheek reference to another post), but the rebranding was a total fiasco. Many Metros have closed (the majority in London have either closed, been sold, or have been rebranded as "Food Basics").

davidivivid
Jun 13, 2013, 1:46 PM
I remember a time when Steinberg's was the leading supermarket brand in Quebec. Sam Steinberg died, and the family bickered while Rome burned. The pieces fell into the hands of Metro/Provigo, under the good offices of the Quebec Provincial government. Provigo took over most of what was once the Dominion brand in Quebc. The Quebec government vetoed earlier attempts by Loblaws to purchase the Provigo brand. Ironically, for a while, we recently had Metro all over Ontario (after the purchase of A&P/Dominion and related brands). Perhaps Metro thought that Ontarians would behave like Quebeckers (tongue in cheek reference to another post), but the rebranding was a total fiasco. Many Metros have closed (the majority in London have either closed, been sold, or have been rebranded as "Food Basics").

:cool:

Acajack
Jun 13, 2013, 2:20 PM

Metro seems to be doing reasonably well in Ottawa. Most of the Metro stores there are former stores of the local Loeb grocery chain that had a very loyal local clientele. So there might be different factors at play than in other parts of Ontario.

Loblaws seems to have scaled back its presence in Quebec though they still have some stores. The one closest to me has been changed to a Maxi, but they still have one in the Plateau district of Hull and also in Aylmer.

Acajack
Jun 13, 2013, 2:23 PM
There were still IGAs in rural areas of Newfoundland as well, last I checked. But usually prefaced by a family name, like Farrell's IGA in Marystown. So I don't know if that's even the same thing. There's also Foodland in a lot of rural areas. Dominion dominates outside the city, though, in my experience.

IGAs in Quebec are like this as well: IGA Famille St-Jacques, IGA Famille Charles... but they are still fundamental Sobeys grocery stores.

In my city at least IGA and Métro are neck and neck for the nicest grocery store title.

ErickMontreal
Jun 13, 2013, 2:58 PM
Loblaws seems to have scaled back its presence in Quebec though they still have some stores. The one closest to me has been changed to a Maxi, but they still have one in the Plateau district of Hull and also in Aylmer.

Indeed, they have torn apart the Provigo HQ in Montreal, they shed hundred jobs, moved administrative positions to Toronto, built a distribution center in Cornwall instead of Montreal and literally butchered the brand.

As a matter of fact, Quebec lost what was once a great brand and a successful headquarter.

On a side note, I still believe, unlike Loblaws, that Sobeys gave more power to IGA Quebec to manage their stores with the outcome we know as I know for a fact that there are significant differences between an IGA Extra in, for instance, Magog and a Sobeys located in Moncton in terms of layout, products, variety etc.

http://argent.canoe.ca/nouvelles/affaires/provigo-est-lenfant-delaisse-de-loblaw-15112011

http://tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/economie/archives/2011/11/20111115-195511.html

kwoldtimer
Jun 13, 2013, 3:19 PM
Indeed, they have torn apart the Provigo HQ in Montreal, they shed hundred jobs, moved administrative positions to Toronto, built a distribution center in Cornwall instead of Montreal and literally butchered the brand.

As a matter of fact, Quebec lost what was once a great brand and a successful headquarter.

On a side note, I still believe, unlike Loblaws, that Sobeys gave more power to IGA Quebec to manage their stores with the outcome we know as I know for a fact that there are significant differences between an IGA Extra in, for instance, Magog and a Sobeys located in Moncton in terms of layout, products, variety etc.

http://argent.canoe.ca/nouvelles/affaires/provigo-est-lenfant-delaisse-de-loblaw-15112011

http://tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/economie/archives/2011/11/20111115-195511.html

Do I recall correctly that a number of national retailers have built their Montreal distribution centres in Cornwall for some tax reason?

Airboy
Jun 13, 2013, 3:41 PM
Out west we also have the Pattison Group, (Overwaitea, Save on Foods, Buy-Low Foods etc.). So there is some completion out here, sort of. In my suburb of Edmonton with about 60,000 people. We have 2 Safeway’s, 2 Save-on Foods, a Sobeys, a Wal-Mart and Target. Plus the Farmers Markets. But it will be interesting if Safeway’s is rebranded. They have a huge distribution centre in Edmonton about a mile away from Sobeys distribution centre.

Acajack
Jun 13, 2013, 4:07 PM
Do I recall correctly that a number of national retailers have built their Montreal distribution centres in Cornwall for some tax reason?

It could be. Cornwall is also a good location because it allows you to serve both Quebec and Ontario from there. It also has a sizable bilingual population but without the obligation of having the shop operating in French.

That said, there are large distribution centres across the border in Quebec as well. For example, Canadian Tire is already in Coteau-du-Lac, not too far from Cornwall but in Quebec.

MolsonExport
Jun 13, 2013, 4:37 PM
I really dislike cornwall. Can't put my finger on why...I just dislike the place.

SpongeG
Jun 13, 2013, 5:09 PM
i hope the safeway banner/brand stays as is - it has a lot of loyalty out west and i wonder what will happen with the airmiles program, you could really rack up the miles shopping at safeway

Boris2k7
Jun 13, 2013, 6:28 PM
Personally, I'm brand-agnostic. There are certain items I'll go to each chain for (I like Safeway's lumberjack sandwiches for example), but I'll just go to whatever's closest for most stuff. Then again, I'm not tied into any Air Miles program and forgot where I put my Co-op loyalty card (which was a condition of my employment back in High School). I have two Sobeys in closer proximity to where I live than any other store, so that's where I go (plus the nearest Safeway and Coop are in an area with nasty traffic snarls that I generally stay away from).

kwoldtimer
Jun 13, 2013, 6:50 PM
I really dislike cornwall. Can't put my finger on why...I just dislike the place.

I could suggest reasons.............. :yuck:

MonctonRad
Jun 13, 2013, 6:55 PM
i hope the safeway banner/brand stays as is - it has a lot of loyalty out west and i wonder what will happen with the airmiles program, you could really rack up the miles shopping at safeway

Sobeys has air miles too.......

ciudad_del_norte
Jun 13, 2013, 7:00 PM

Not in the west, it doesn't. I was actually really confused by that when I was living in NS, because I have always had very strong associations with Airmiles and Safeway.

Acajack
Jun 13, 2013, 7:01 PM

The Sobeys disguised as IGAs in Quebec have Air Miles.

Acajack
Jun 13, 2013, 7:03 PM

Maybe it's because even though it's in eastern Ontario, it sort of has a southern or southwestern Ontario pseudo-rust belt feel, à la Brantford, Wallaceburg, St Catharines, etc.

kwoldtimer
Jun 13, 2013, 7:42 PM
Maybe it's because even though it's in eastern Ontario, it sort of has a southern or southwestern Ontario pseudo-rust belt feel, à la Brantford, Wallaceburg, St Catharines, etc.

In less diplomatic parlance, I believe that's called a "pit", Acajack! :haha: :runaway:

khabibulin
Jun 13, 2013, 8:01 PM

Sobeys is affiliated with Aeroplan, not air miles. They have crazy promotions for Aeroplan points!

isaidso
Jun 14, 2013, 1:19 AM
I don't think you understand. Sobey's is already here. For example - in my neighbourhood I have a Safeway, Co-op, and Sobey's. My order of preference for these is Safeway>Co-op>Sobey's. If they integrate their back of house operations but keep the in-store experience the same, it's likely that I keep shopping at Safeway. If I only have Sobeys and Co-op to choose from, it's likely I go to Co-op.

Safeway has a massive amount of brand loyalty in the west, they've been here since the 1930s while Sobeys has virtually none. It wouldn't make sense for them to rebrand everything under the weaker brand.

Unless Sobey's is planning on expanding to the States, there wouldn't be any problem. Things like this happen all the time, for example A&W is completely different in the US and Canada, and Safeway itself had a division in the UK that was owned and operated independently.

I see. I acknowledge the brand power of Safeway in the West, but I'd be surprised if Sobeys kept it in the long term. They're more likely to want to gradually build the Sobeys brand up.

Regarding expansion to the US, it's not likely to happen in the short term but 10-20 years down the road our big grocery chains are going to have to find growth somewhere. They're already close to saturating the domestic market, but 95% of the grocery market lies beyond Canadian borders. They'll marginalize themselves into irrelevance if they stay 'Canada only' enterprises forever.

isaidso
Jun 14, 2013, 1:24 AM
Steinberg was phased out but the Provigo brand still is very much alive, even if its reputation has been butchered by executives in Ontario who, after the purchase of Provigo by Loblaws, expected the Quebec market to behave similarly to that of Ontario's. Provigo was in a strong first position at the time and it has become a distant 3rd or 4th with half the stores it used to have.

Anyway, Loblaws still isn't a strong brand in Quebec, reason why they are investing $100M to change some of their Loblaws stores to new Provigo Le Marché concept stores.

Sounds like executives of Loblaws failed 'Business 101': know your market, never assume what works at home will work everywhere.

isaidso
Jun 14, 2013, 1:29 AM
When Loblaw's bought Zehrs, they not only retained the name but I think opened additional supermarkets in central southwestern Ontario under the Zehrs name. On the other hand, when Sobeys took over the old Dutch Boy supermarkets in Kitchener, they eventually rebranded them as Sobeys. That was a bit of a risk as the common perception at the time was that K-W shoppers would not patronize a grocery that was not "local" (there was a long history of national chains trying unsuccessfully to penetrate the local market). It seems that perception was not entirely accurate, as the Sobey's continue to operate here (although Zehrs dominates the local market, it seems to me).

In the case of Safeway, I wonder Sobeys won't be obliged to change the name, given the Safeway name in the States? I guess it will depend on what they negotiated in the purchase. Where both Sobey's and Safeway already exist, I suppose stores could be rebranded with some of Sobeys other company banners.

Interesting read regarding Zehrs. Re-branding is always a tricky thing to get right. You risk alienating your customer base in an attempt to create a strong uniform brand across all regions. I still miss 'Dominion'. That brand was one of my earliest images of Canada when I landed in Halifax aged 11.

I still associate that brand closely with Canada although my association is not one others will have. Massey-Ferguson and Consumers Distributing are 2 others I continue to miss.

Acajack
Jun 14, 2013, 2:35 AM
Sounds like executives of Loblaws failed 'Business 101': know your market, never assume what works at home will work everywhere.

Except that Quebec is a province like all the others, doncha know. We've been told that repeatedly since 1990-92. It's a mindset that has penetrated even some corporate boardrooms it seems! :yes:

MonctonRad
Jun 14, 2013, 3:22 AM
Sobeys is affiliated with Aeroplan, not air miles. They have crazy promotions for Aeroplan points!

Sobeys is very definitely associated with Air Miles in Atlantic Canada. If they are not associated elsewhere, it must have to do with some exclusivity clause in the contract that they signed with the travel miles partner. If Air Miles was already associated with Safeway in the west, then perhaps Sobeys was barred from having the same program in their own stores in that particular market area....

vid
Jun 16, 2013, 5:19 PM
In the West, Safeway has exclusive rights to Airmiles, so Sobeys uses Aeroplan as an alternate.

Loco101
Jun 17, 2013, 5:27 AM
Northern Ontario is sort of where the Eastern and Western influences meet.

In Timmins we have Quebec influences in a lot of businesses:

-two Metro stores back in the 1980s. They got renamed to Loeb but then the former A&P and a former Loeb became Metros.

-a Super C for awhile but it is now Food Basics.

North Bay:

-has had a Sobey's since the 1990s.

Sault Ste. Marie:

-had a Safeway during the 1980s and early 1990s.

Thunder Bay, Fort Frances, Dryden and Kenora

-still have Safeway stores

Thunder Bay and Kenora

-have the only Wholesale Club in the province (western based Loblaws owned chain)

T-Bay:
-also has Real Canadian Superstore

-westernmost Metro stores

Dryden, Marathon and Geraldton

-have Western based but Loblaws owned Extra Foods

Sudbury

-has a Real Canadian Superstore (Only Loblaws corporate owned store that I know of in NE Ont unless you count the National Grocers Cash and Carry Wholesale locations)

isaidso
Jun 17, 2013, 2:58 PM
Except that Quebec is a province like all the others, doncha know. We've been told that repeatedly since 1990-92. It's a mindset that has penetrated even some corporate boardrooms it seems! :yes:

It's all relative. Canadian provinces are very similar from one to the next compared to a US state or another country; you know you're in Canada instantly. That said, there's bound to be variation from region to region in a nation wider than the Atlantic Ocean.

Even within a province one finds variation when it comes to brands people are loyal to.

kwoldtimer
Jun 17, 2013, 8:28 PM
It's all relative. Canadian provinces are very similar from one to the next compared to a US state or another country; you know you're in Canada instantly. That said, there's bound to be variation from region to region in a nation wider than the Atlantic Ocean.

Even within a province one finds variation when it comes to brands people are loyal to.

I would have thought that most of what makes the Quebec market different had been pretty well identified over the years. Maybe it was just one of the (many) memos that Loblaws didn't seem to be getting for a while there.....

isaidso
Jun 17, 2013, 9:07 PM
I would have thought that most of what makes the Quebec market different had been pretty well identified over the years. Maybe it was just one of the (many) memos that Loblaws didn't seem to be getting for a while there.....

And the Maritime market is different from the Ontario market, and the Western Canadian market is different again.

Loco101
Jun 18, 2013, 4:48 AM
The Northern Ontario market is different than the market in Southern Ontario.

kwoldtimer
Jun 18, 2013, 12:19 PM
The Northern Ontario market is different than the market in Southern Ontario.

In what regards? I wonder whether there aren't differences between Northeastern and Northwestern Ontario as well?

SpongeG
Jun 18, 2013, 3:42 PM
COSTCO TO OPEN 25 MORE CANADIAN STORES

Costco plans on opening as many as 25 more Canadian stores. New stores will open in Ontario and several Western Canadian provinces. Metro areas targeted for new stores include Montreal, Toronto and Winnipeg. Selected communities in Alberta and Saskatchewan will also be considered.

http://www.retail-insider.com/

SEARS CANADA SELLS ITS YORKDALE AND SQUARE ONE STORE LEASES

Update: Oxford Properties purchased the Yorkdale and Square One leases for $191 million. Stores will close in March, 2014. Oxford also paid Sears $1 million for the option of buying-out the 230,000+ square foot Scarborough Town Centre Sears lease for $53 million. That closure could happen within the next 5 years. [Press Release]

http://www.retail-insider.com/

Acajack
Jun 18, 2013, 3:57 PM

It's the classic Canadian debate - is Quebec really *more* different? My sense after living more than half my life in the ROC (almost like an anglo) and close to the other half in Quebec is that it is quite a bit *more* different.

There are even little things that are apparent when living in a two-province metro. If you go for breakfast in Ottawa all of the baskets with jam, etc. will have marmelade. Like they will in Red Deer and Glace Bay. In Gatineau they don't. But in Gatineau they all have Grenache Caramel, just like they do in Montreal, Baie-Comeau and Gaspé. But in Ottawa they don't.

OK, in Shawville, Quebec they probably have marmelade, and in St-Quentin, New Brunswick I betcha they have Grenache Caramel. But these are only minor exceptions that confirm the rule.

Another example, some time ago on a day that was a holiday in Quebec (all grocery stores closed) but not in Ontario my wife went grocery shopping in Ottawa. Among other things she was looking for was stuff for a Swiss-style raclette. Well, she couldn't find the requisite cheese anywhere in Ottawa grocery stores. In Quebec, you can even get it at Costco and Wal-Mart. Same goes for merguez North African sausages - nope. She had to go to specialized international cheese and butcher shops to find them. Whereas in Quebec even most small-town grocery stores have this stuff. (Of course, there is stuff in Ottawa grocery stores you can't find in Gatineau as well - like Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup for some reason...)

Other interesting examples:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1547758/posts

http://www.radio-canada.ca/actualite/v2/lepicerie/niveau2_5435.shtml#

kwoldtimer
Jun 18, 2013, 5:38 PM
It's the classic Canadian debate - is Quebec really *more* different? My sense after living more than half my life in the ROC (almost like an anglo) and close to the other half in Quebec is that it is quite a bit *more* different.

There are even little things that are apparent when living in a two-province metro. If you go for breakfast in Ottawa all of the baskets with jam, etc. will have marmelade. Like they will in Red Deer and Glace Bay. In Gatineau they don't. But in Gatineau they all have Grenache Caramel, just like they do in Montreal, Baie-Comeau and Gaspé. But in Ottawa they don't.

OK, in Shawville, Quebec they probably have marmelade, and in St-Quentin, New Brunswick I betcha they have Grenache Caramel. But these are only minor exceptions that confirm the rule.

Another example, some time ago on a day that was a holiday in Quebec (all grocery stores closed) but not in Ontario my wife went grocery shopping in Ottawa. Among other things she was looking for was stuff for a Swiss-style raclette. Well, she couldn't find the requisite cheese anywhere in Ottawa grocery stores. In Quebec, you can even get it at Costco and Wal-Mart. Same goes for merguez North African sausages - nope. She had to go to specialized international cheese and butcher shops to find them. Whereas in Quebec even most small-town grocery stores have this stuff. (Of course, there is stuff in Ottawa grocery stores you can't find in Gatineau as well - like Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup for some reason...)

Other interesting examples:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1547758/posts

http://www.radio-canada.ca/actualite/v2/lepicerie/niveau2_5435.shtml#

Quebec has always had a sweeter tooth and a greater appetite for fats than most of the rest of the country (although growing up in Waterloo County, that is hard for me to accept!). The preference for ale over lager used to be another distinction, as was the preference for gin over whiskey, in both cases for historical reasons going back to the original brewers and distillers. The interest in ethnic foods will vary across the country for obvious reasons. I think you can get cookies in Latin America with "manjar" (dulce de leche?) spread between two unsanctified hosts. As a lapsed Presbyterian, I don't know whether to laugh or to be horrified at the thought of the Catholic host being peddled as a snack food. It sure has shock value!

The jam vs caramel thing reminds me of how often in the USA I've received grape jelly with my breakfast. How can they!?

Loco101
Jun 19, 2013, 4:01 AM
In what regards? I wonder whether there aren't differences between Northeastern and Northwestern Ontario as well?

Different lifestyles in most of Northern Ontario means different meals and tastes. We tend to not have locally grown food in large quantities and agriculture exists is only in certain regions for example Temiskaming. People here tend to not eat the wide variety of things you see in Southern Ontario. I realize our market size is much smaller but even small Southern Ontario towns tend to have more than our cities.

Northern Ontario has different cultural influences. Southern Ontario has more British and American influences compared to here and of course more recent immigrant influences in some cities.

Is there a difference between Northeastern and Northwestern Ontario? I'd say somewhat but overall not too much. The French-Canadian culture is more influential in the Northeast of course. Can't really speak for the Northwest because I rarely go there.

Loco101
Jun 19, 2013, 4:19 AM

In Timmins, ON it really depends who is running/managing the store for what the store carries.

And as I've said before, the vast majority of people in Timmins are from French-Canadian background or partly from it.

Raclette cheese has become more popular but is only available consistently at Lévis' Foodland and sometimes at Metro and Independent Grocer. The other 4 or 5 grocery stores don't carry it.

I don't recall seeing marmalade in Timmins restaurants recently but maybe a few have it but I doubt it. But I have definitely seen Grenache at a bunch and it sells well in grocery stores.

Some other observations about grocery shopping here:

-Pepsi outsells Coke (just like in QC and Atlantic provinces)

-Vachon cakes are big sellers

-you see Chinese/meat fondue products for sale

-you see Sugar Pie (Tarte au sucre) and tourtière (meat pie) for sale everywhere and often made in store

-St-Hubert grocery store products are big sellers

-les cretons are available at most grocers

-cheese curds are popular (especially to make poutine) and are also made in NE Ontario by Thornloe Cheese.

-we can get many Quebec brands of cheese

-pea soup is very popular

One thing I never knew about growing up here is what Peameal bacon (or backbacon) is. I ate it for the first time when visiting relatives in London, ON.

SpongeG
Jun 19, 2013, 4:45 AM
back bacon aka Canadian bacon wasn't that common out here growing up, i still don't know many places that would serve it other than on pizza

Boris2k7
Jun 19, 2013, 3:34 PM
I've had Canadian bacon on a burger once, but that's about all I've ever seen of it. It's like bagged milk... one of those weird things I only ever see when I'm in Ontario.

Slow news week, but Save-On is moving back into the Calgary market (note: not the first time we've had Save-On here) and Mountain Equipment Co-op changing their name to MEC (AFAIK, everyone called it that anyways) and removing the mountain from their logo in favour of a green box (oh my!).

Monctoncore
Jun 19, 2013, 3:54 PM
You can get the Grenache Caramel in Moncton and surrounding areas with your breakfast, I have had it at 5 different restaurants locally owned and chains and the Irving Big Stops also have it with breakfast.

Acajack
Jun 19, 2013, 3:57 PM
You can get the Grenache Caramel in Moncton and surrounding areas with your breakfast, I have had it at 5 different restaurants locally owned and chains and the Irving Big Stops also have it with breakfast.

It's also available in most grocery stores in eastern Ontario including Ottawa but for some reason it's rare at breakfast restaurants in Ottawa, even in the east end in places like Orleans which have more francophones.

Acajack
Jun 19, 2013, 4:00 PM
I don't recall seeing marmalade in Timmins restaurants recently but maybe a few have it but I doubt it. .

Our Timmins relatives who are Franco-Ontarians (most of them older folks) all have marmalade on their toast for breakfast. They actually get teased about
it by their Quebec relatives who find this odd and say it's a British trait that has rubbed off on them from living so long in Ontario.

davidivivid
Jun 19, 2013, 7:55 PM
Hess apparently is about to sell its convenience store business across the U.S. and according to some analysts, Couche-Tard is well placed to conclude this acquisition. Hess's stores had $13B in revenues last year so if this acquisition goes ahead, Couche-Tard would become one of the companies batlling for the title of biggest canadian company by revenues next year.

http://argent.canoe.ca/nouvelles/hess-la-prochaine-cible-de-couche-tard-19062013

kwoldtimer
Jun 19, 2013, 9:08 PM
Our Timmins relatives who are Franco-Ontarians (most of them older folks) all have marmalade on their toast for breakfast. They actually get teased about
it by their Quebec relatives who find this odd and say it's a British trait that has rubbed off on them from living so long in Ontario.

My Mom's a Scot and she loves orange marmalade. I can't abide the stuff. Breakfast places here in K-C-W mostly offer strawberry jam (often only), followed by marmalade, peanut butter, and honey, in that order.

Nathan
Jun 19, 2013, 9:34 PM
My Mom's a Scot and she loves orange marmalade. I can't abide the stuff. Breakfast places here in K-C-W mostly offer strawberry jam (often only), followed by marmalade, peanut butter, and honey, in that order.

Most common around here is raspberry jam, strawberry jam, peanut butter, and honey. Sometimes a place will have orange marmalade and grape jelly as well, but I wouldn't say those are the norm.

Saskatoon berry jam is a pretty popular option as well, but it's all local production, so you'd find it at farmers markets, specialty shops, and co-ops mostly, although I think Superstore might carry it as well. No small individual portions that the breakfast places would need though.

SpongeG
Jun 19, 2013, 9:42 PM
does anyone like marmite? love that stuff - hard to find but walmart supercentres all carry it in the baking section :D

Wigs
Jun 20, 2013, 12:35 AM

My grandfather on my mom's side was of Scottish descent and I remember him having marmalade (usually orange) on toast almost every day. :)
I quickly began to appreciate it as a youngster (spent almost everyday with my grandparents before kindergarten), but haven't had it in years

Xelebes
Jun 20, 2013, 12:59 AM
Most common around here is raspberry jam, strawberry jam, peanut butter, and honey. Sometimes a place will have orange marmalade and grape jelly as well, but I wouldn't say those are the norm.

Saskatoon berry jam is a pretty popular option as well, but it's all local production, so you'd find it at farmers markets, specialty shops, and co-ops mostly, although I think Superstore might carry it as well. No small individual portions that the breakfast places would need though.

Is there a Costco in Saskatchewan? Costcos here stock saskatoon jam.

Nathan
Jun 20, 2013, 1:38 AM
Is there a Costco in Saskatchewan? Costcos here stock saskatoon jam.

Yeah there are costcos, but that's not my normal grocery stop so I can't say if they stock it or not.

davidivivid
Jun 20, 2013, 1:17 PM
Quebec-based department store Simons eyes GTA

Quebec-based department store Maison Simons would like to open in the two locations to be vacated by Sears at Yorkdale Mall and Square One Shopping Centre in Mississauga, said president and chief executive officer Peter Simon.
“We are actively in discussion,” he said, speaking from the family-owned firm’s head office in Quebec City.

“I’m hoping to build a great store in Toronto in the near future if we can get a good deal done.”

It will be months before a decision is made, said Michael Kitt, executive vice-president, Canada, of Oxford Properties Group, which owns the malls along with the Alberta Investment Management Corp.

[...]

http://www.thestar.com/business/2013/06/18/quebecbased_department_store_simon_eyes_gta.html

LeftCoaster
Jun 20, 2013, 7:38 PM
Don't know why the Star is just reporting this now, it's been widely know for some time that Simons is looking to expand not just to the GTA but Canada wide.

Great retailer, I hope they can retain their quality through this expansion.

miketoronto
Jun 20, 2013, 9:38 PM
Don't know why the Star is just reporting this now, it's been widely know for some time that Simons is looking to expand not just to the GTA but Canada wide.

Great retailer, I hope they can retain their quality through this expansion.

Just ordered some more stuff from Simons (I am a regular for their clothing), and as always I get compliments about their style.
My friend just got stuff to and people in London, Ontario were even coming up to him to tell him they loved his clothes. That is not normal in Canada for people to do that.

But I do think their quality won't be the same with expansion. Simons as a small Quebec chain was able to keep that personal touch and close access to the family that still runs it.
When they become to big and national, they are not going to have that unique cache anymore. They are sadly just going to become another chain that can be found anywhere. And that will hurt their name.
I also don't expect they will be able to keep up that personal touch of the family being so involved, when they expand beyond a handful of some stores.

Even as much as I like them, I know Simons won't be that special place anymore if I can get their stuff in Toronto. Simons was always a unique and fun part of visiting Quebec.
But we keep losing unique places with every place having to become a massive chain.

It is also sad if their first store is in a suburban shopping mall in Toronto. Downtown has really been losing out lately with many first the region stores opting to open in the suburbs over downtown. That would not have happened before.

I also think the opening of Simons Canada wide will diminish their great style. Do they not already offer less stylish stuff in their Edmonton store, because Edmonton residents are not as fashionable? I heard something about that. The thing that sets Simons apart is their great style. If they start offering less stylish things to fit the rest of Canada, then that will be their downfall for sure.

CanadianCentaur
Jun 20, 2013, 10:19 PM
ack bacon aka Canadian bacon wasn't that common out here growing up, i still don't know many places that would serve it other than on pizza
I've had Canadian bacon on a burger once, but that's about all I've ever seen of it. It's like bagged milk... one of those weird things I only ever see when I'm in Ontario.

That's pretty odd. IIRC, I know you can get back bacon at a lot of major grocery chains in Western Canada or at least in Alberta and BC. Back bacon was something I actually grew with on weekend breakfasts along with fried eggs and hash browns or even pancakes. I've never seen it on a burger, but I've had it on pizza a few times.

does anyone like marmite? love that stuff - hard to find but walmart supercentres all carry it in the baking section

Ugh, not a fan of that stuff, but I know my late mom liked Marmite, as she was born and raised in England. I prefer the Australian counterpart instead - Vegemite. :D I grew up on that stuff, since my dad was born in Australia and I also lived in Australia as a very young kid. It's harder to find, but I know some Save-On stores do have it in stock, including the one in my neighbourhood.

You will find Marmite in many Safeway and Save-On stores, even in smaller cities like Grande Prairie. Look for it in their baking sections, but sometimes also in the bread spread aisles.

SpongeG
Jun 20, 2013, 10:26 PM
yeah i live on marmite, grew up with it - it was easy to find growing up in a small town in NEBC, always had a supply of it, it used to be kept with the jams and spreads at most stores and than they moved it to the baking section, i thought the store i always bought it at had dropped it only to find it a few weeks later next to the yeasr products - anyway walmart usually sells it for $3.77 compared to $5.49 at superstore

isn't vegemite really hard to find now in canada? i kno wit often used to be found next to the marmite in stores but haven't seen it in years

i brought back some really big bottles of marmite from south africa when i was there a number of years ago - in th euk they sell marmite in a tub :P and in restaurant packets

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkYOgPXSyP2BFRkmfk4Ue5jJCJ2dtXrprJ1vMSLBwFcPgVtm4O

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuCPVmO6HEE1Fe7phOiFleW6-dxo62Cfw0fuDjRnWlIAI6LWBq
thankheavenforbeer.com

CanadianCentaur
Jun 20, 2013, 10:47 PM
isn't vegemite really hard to find now in canada? i kno wit often used to be found next to the marmite in stores but haven't seen it in years

Yes, it's certainly harder to find than Marmite in this country. No Safeway in Canada I know has stocked Vegemite anymore since I was a boy or young teen.

Like Marmite, you can usually find it in Save-On's baking section. The Save-On in my neighbourhood actually has the Vegemite and Marmite in the same aisle, if not the same shelf.

i brought back some really big bottles of marmite from south africa when i was there a number of years ago - in th euk they sell marmite in a tub :P and in restaurant packets

I did notice how popular Marmite is in the UK. Hell, I noticed during a trip to the UK in 2010 that during a breakfast in a college cafeteria in Oxford (I was staying at a college dorm there with some family members), there were a couple of ice cream pail-sized tubs of Marmite - and one was almost used up.

But my dad did not touch any of that (and neither did I) - he'd choose to bring along a small jar of Vegemite with him to put on his toast. :haha:

BTW, in Australia, you can find Vegemite packaged in tubs and restaurant packets like the British do with Marmite. Don't ask me about New Zealand, though - Marmite is usually preferred there, or so I hear.

Loco101
Jun 23, 2013, 6:49 AM

Now that is weird! I know of very few people who eat marmalade in Timmins. And Timmins is not really a British influenced city.

And about eating out:

One thing I've noticed is that many of our non-chain restaurants are supplied by Deshaies (Grossite/Wholesaler) which is out of Amos, QC.

GreatTallNorth2
Jun 23, 2013, 8:17 PM
Just ordered some more stuff from Simons (I am a regular for their clothing), and as always I get compliments about their style.
My friend just got stuff to and people in London, Ontario were even coming up to him to tell him they loved his clothes.

After living in the UK for 2 years now, I have to say that I find Canadians to be quite bland dressers. I lived in Canada all my life and never thought about it until I saw how "smart" people dress here in the UK. Obviously this is a generalisation, but its true. Americans are about the same. I work in a shop here in the UK and we see a lot of tourists from Canada/USA. They are pretty easy to spot even before they say a word due to their dress. The UK has a lot (and I mean a lot) of their own fashion stores. Jack Wills, Top Shop, New Look, Fat Face, even M&S has good fashion.

It would be great to see Canada have some new (or old) shops that provide something better than what I remember Canada offers.

eternallyme
Jun 23, 2013, 8:19 PM
My friend just got stuff to and people in London, Ontario were even coming up to him to tell him they loved his clothes. That is not normal in Canada for people to do that.

But I do think their quality won't be the same with expansion. Simons as a small Quebec chain was able to keep that personal touch and close access to the family that still runs it.
When they become to big and national, they are not going to have that unique cache anymore. They are sadly just going to become another chain that can be found anywhere. And that will hurt their name.
I also don't expect they will be able to keep up that personal touch of the family being so involved, when they expand beyond a handful of some stores.

Even as much as I like them, I know Simons won't be that special place anymore if I can get their stuff in Toronto. Simons was always a unique and fun part of visiting Quebec.
But we keep losing unique places with every place having to become a massive chain.

It is also sad if their first store is in a suburban shopping mall in Toronto. Downtown has really been losing out lately with many first the region stores opting to open in the suburbs over downtown. That would not have happened before.

I also think the opening of Simons Canada wide will diminish their great style. Do they not already offer less stylish stuff in their Edmonton store, because Edmonton residents are not as fashionable? I heard something about that. The thing that sets Simons apart is their great style. If they start offering less stylish things to fit the rest of Canada, then that will be their downfall for sure.

In some cities, the only reasonable retail options are in the suburbs though. Look at Winnipeg for instance - no one in their right mind would open their first store downtown right now.

MonctonRad
Jun 24, 2013, 3:30 PM
According to Retail Insider, the first confirmed Nordstrom Rack location in Canada will be in a suburban big box development in Ottawa. They expect there might ultimately be as many as 20 Nordstrom Rack stores across the country.

connect2source
Jun 24, 2013, 5:09 PM
According to the Wall Street Journal, Hudson's Bay is looking to buy Saks Inc. and has been interested for quite some time. "Hudson's Bay could convert some of its Canadian stores to Saks or Off-5th locations..."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323683504578565461311853872.html

eternallyme
Jun 24, 2013, 6:28 PM
According to the Wall Street Journal, Hudson's Bay is looking to buy Saks Inc. and has been interested for quite some time. "Hudson's Bay could convert some of its Canadian stores to Saks or Off-5th locations..."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323683504578565461311853872.html

They already own Lord and Taylor too I thought? I don't see them converting given how entrenched Hudson's Bay is in Canada...

SpongeG
Jun 24, 2013, 7:52 PM
that would be quite a big deal, i could see the bay at oakridge in vancouver being converted to a saks store

and yay for nordstrom rack love that store

LeftCoaster
Jun 24, 2013, 8:07 PM
Yes The Bay certainly has some overlap in its urban stores which could be converted to Saks. Their Bloor location comes to mind as the most obvious. Oakridge would be another good choice as well.

miketoronto
Jun 24, 2013, 9:55 PM
Or we could just keep Holt Renfrew.

Canada is going to have the same problems as the USA with retail, if we continue to expand retail way more than the population can support.

High end stores like Saks already make half the sales per sq foot that Holt Renfrew does.
This is likely due to Saks and most American stores operating way more stores than they need to, to support the high end population.

Keep Saks in the USA. We do not need a carbon copy of every store in every world city.

miketoronto
Jun 24, 2013, 10:00 PM
A lot of these high end stores like Saks are really starting to waterdown their brands by being in so many places.

Louis Vutton has already faced this issue, and is actually limited the opening of new stores this year, as it has been shown that customers are starting to feel LV is becoming too common, due to them having so many stores.

eternallyme
Jun 24, 2013, 10:39 PM
A lot of these high end stores like Saks are really starting to waterdown their brands by being in so many places.

Louis Vutton has already faced this issue, and is actually limited the opening of new stores this year, as it has been shown that customers are starting to feel LV is becoming too common, due to them having so many stores.

Supply and demand. Although they may be overdoing it, that is usually by opening too many stores in individual markets. In Canada, the demand far outstrips the supply.

Also, re: downtown vs. suburbs, most cities the money lies in the suburbs, not downtown. And in downtown Toronto, I am sure they would love to set up there but the retail space is not there now (come on Sears, get out of the Eaton Centre!) and building new/demolition is incredibly expensive.

LeftCoaster
Jun 25, 2013, 6:50 PM
Or we could just keep Holt Renfrew.

Canada is going to have the same problems as the USA with retail, if we continue to expand retail way more than the population can support.

High end stores like Saks already make half the sales per sq foot that Holt Renfrew does.
This is likely due to Saks and most American stores operating way more stores than they need to, to support the high end population.

Keep Saks in the USA. We do not need a carbon copy of every store in every world city.

Mike the stores in question already exist, how does converting a bay to saks result in us being over retailed? Your xenophobia is making you say some pretty contradictory things here.

Also Saks does lower spf because they operate as an anchor department store whereas Holts operates more like a large non major/small anchor. They are completely different business models. Canadian businesses do better spf on average due to lack of options, that is true, but a little competition can't hurt, it's not like we are building malls en mass here like they were in the US.

SpongeG
Jun 28, 2013, 7:43 PM
target opens in july in saskatoon

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/934920_519283471460166_1466123138_n.png
target canada facebook page

waterloowarrior
Jul 15, 2013, 7:53 PM
Loblaw to buy Shoppers Drug Mart for $12.4B
Toronto Star July 15 2013

Loblaw Cos. said Monday it “changes the retail landscape in Canada” with its deal to buy Shoppers Drug Mart Corp. for $12.4 billion and merge two of Canada’s biggest retailers.
Loblaw, the country’s largest supermarket company, will pay $61.54 a share for the leading Canadian drugstore chain, the companies said in a statement.

Loblaw currently has a 1 per cent share of the pharmacy business in Canada dominated by Shopper’s, he said. Shopper’s, meanwhile, sells $1 billion in food, compared with Loblaw’s $30 billion.

“Shopper’s already has food space. We think we can considerably expand the productivity.”

Shopper’s, in turn, can offer Loblaw a network of the “best urban small-format” stores, Trius said.
“Just imagine being able to go to Loblaws and having the option to buy a wide variety of the products you’d see at Shoppers,” said Trius.
“Or you could go to Shoppers and buy your favourite PC Blue menu items. Imagine a very basic full grocery shop.”

Read more http://www.thestar.com/business/2013/07/15/loblaw_to_acquire_shoppers_drug_mart_for_124_billion.html

SteelTown
Jul 25, 2013, 1:37 PM
Meet the new Tim Hortons look, unveiled today at Hamilton....

http://yourhamiltonbiz.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/tims.jpg.png

http://yourhamiltonbiz.com/new-look-tim-hortons-opens-on-main-west

Comfortable chairs, booth seating, an automatic sliding door, a fireplace, a big screen television and satellite are just a few of the elements that have been added to the store.

The theatre baking, which uses a state-of-the-art combination oven, allows food to be freshly prepared in front of the customers. This is the only Tim Hortons in Hamilton that offers this. There is also a cold stone creamery that serves soft-swirl ice cream, another franchise-first for the city.

In the next month, Burch also plans to add a patio that will seat approximately 10 people.

kwoldtimer
Jul 25, 2013, 1:50 PM

http://yourhamiltonbiz.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/tims.jpg.png

Comfortable chairs, booth seating, an automatic sliding door, a fireplace, a big screen television and satellite are just a few of the elements that have been added to the store.

The theatre baking, which uses a state-of-the-art combination oven, allows food to be freshly prepared in front of the customers. This is the only Tim Hortons in Hamilton that offers this. There is also a cold stone creamery that serves soft-swirl ice cream, another franchise-first for the city.

In the next month, Burch also plans to add a patio that will seat approximately 10 people.

Working class/hockey nation goes "bistro"!

SteelTown
Jul 25, 2013, 1:58 PM
They've finally gone urban friendly, who would have imagined patio space for Tim Hortons?!

In that area where the new Tim Hortons was unveiled there's several Williams, Starbucks, Second Cup and Van Houtte at Mac. So competition forced Tim Hortons to adopt.

MonctonRad
Jul 25, 2013, 2:26 PM
We had one of the new format Tim Horton's stores in Moncton for several months now. Also. there are several Timmies/Cold Stone Creamery combo stores in southeastern NB. They have been present for a couple of years I think.

Biff
Jul 25, 2013, 2:48 PM
We had one of the new format Tim Horton's stores in Moncton for several months now. Also. there are several Timmies/Cold Stone Creamery combo stores in southeastern NB. They have been present for a couple of years I think.

We have one of those brand new format stores as well right by my house (Winnipeg) it has been open since Christmas.

vid
Jul 25, 2013, 11:07 PM
Thunder Bay had one last October. We've had the one with Coldstone Creamery for a year or two, maybe more?

Except for the patio and theatre baking, it's basically a flashier Robin's Donuts with shitty coffee. The whole "fireplace and flat screen TVs" thing is getting kind of played out, now. It's like that's a prerequisite for eating out now.

Trevor3
Jul 26, 2013, 1:58 AM

I remember when our McDonald's got these, especially the fireplace, and just sitting there staring at it and thinking everything was wrong. McDonald's is supposed to be purple and green inside with Ronald McDonald and Grimace (the weird purple guy) everywhere.

Isn't Tim Hortons owned by a US company now? I guess they want to compete more directly with Starbucks, which I've never understood the fuss over to begin with.

Nathan
Jul 26, 2013, 2:57 AM
I remember when our McDonald's got these, especially the fireplace, and just sitting there staring at it and thinking everything was wrong. McDonald's is supposed to be purple and green inside with Ronald McDonald and Grimace (the weird purple guy) everywhere.

Isn't Tim Hortons owned by a US company now? I guess they want to compete more directly with Starbucks, which I've never understood the fuss over to begin with.

Tim Hortons has been a publicly traded company headquartered in Canada for a few years now.

matthew6
Jul 26, 2013, 4:50 AM
The whole "fireplace and flat screen TVs" thing is getting kind of played out, now. It's like that's a prerequisite for eating out now.

It's to distract you from the shitty dining experience

yaletown_fella
Jul 26, 2013, 5:07 AM
Yes The Bay certainly has some overlap in its urban stores which could be converted to Saks. Their Bloor location comes to mind as the most obvious. Oakridge would be another good choice as well.

Who knows, with the 1 Bloor west proposal setting a new precendent, the hudson bays center could be demolished and redeveloped into a new vertical shopping center and mixed use tower.

Is the "pedestrianization" of Oakridge going through? I don't see how it's financially lucrative. I suppose there are condos included in the plan but I dont see why the owners wouldn't just demolish the parking structure and replace it with a huge underground lot and towers.

WhipperSnapper
Jul 26, 2013, 5:23 AM
Where would you put a new mixed use tower or are you suggesting the removal of the existing towers and the Bell building as part of the demolition? No offense but, 1 Bloor's square footage is tiny by comparison to the thoroughly mixed use complex (office, residential, hotel, retail) across the street. You would need a One Yonge development on steroids for this to make sense.

SignalHillHiker
Jul 26, 2013, 12:32 PM
We now have a The Works in St. John's. It seems to be doing very well - it has a great location.

Second Cup also opened its first downtown location - a corner building that, like most pubs/bars downtown, has large, street-facing windows that are removed on nice days.

There's a new Mediterranean restaurant setting up as well. And a few other things I forget.

Trevor3
Jul 26, 2013, 1:37 PM
Tim Hortons has been a publicly traded company headquartered in Canada for a few years now.

I didn't know that, thanks though! I could have sworn I remember them being sold to a US company a while back... oh well, good to know they're still Canadian.