PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Retail Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81

SpongeG
Dec 10, 2010, 4:41 AM
B.C. retail will grow second fastest in Canada: report

B.C. retail sales are set to grow faster than every other Canadian province in 2010, except Nova Scotia, according to a study released Friday by Toronto-based KubasPrimedia.

B.C. will then top the country for retail sales growth in 2011, according to the research organization.

KubasPrimedia expects B.C. retail sales to grow 6% to $58.5 billion in 2010. Metro Vancouver retail sales are expected to get an even bigger 6.2% boost to 33.1 billion. Nationwide, retail sales are expected to grow 4.8% to $435.4 billion in 2010.

Retail sales growth in B.C. will slow slightly, to 5.9%, in 2011, the research organization projects. Ontario is the only other province expected to have retail sales grow more than 5% in 2011.

“Nothing in the outlook at this point indicates a significant recovery in 2011,” the report warns.

Retail sales growth took a break in 2009, when every province except New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland saw declines.

http://www.bivinteractive.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3431&Itemid=32

SpongeG
Dec 11, 2010, 4:18 AM
we have a handful of these stores around similiar to Dollar Giant which was recently bought out by Dollar tree... hopefully see some of the other so-called dollar stores shut down when they sell $30 items they ain't a Dollar store

Dollarama targets West as it accelerates discount network expansion in 2011

Ross Marowits, The Canadian Press, On Wednesday December 8, 2010, 1:36 pm EST

By Ross Marowits, The Canadian Press

MONTREAL - Dollarama will accelerate store expansion next year, particularly in Western Canada as the Montreal-based retailer continues to build the leading Canadian discount chain.

The company plans to add 50 stores in 2011 with one-third to 40 per cent of the growth being focused in Western Canada. That follows some 45 stores added in the past year, mostly in Ontario.

"With the penetration rate we have in Quebec, 900 to 1,000 stores doesn't seem to be a problem," Larry Rossy, CEO of the chain which currently has more than 600 stores, said Wednesday during a conference call.

However, Rossy wouldn't say if that is the ultimate size the chain hopes to one day run. Much depends on available locations and market opportunities.

But Dollarama (TSX:DOL) said its business model, which limits prices to $2, means it can't expand as much as some U.S. players which offer a broader range of products valued up to $20.

Much of the growth out West will be in free-standing big box locations. While it will add some larger stores elsewhere, the decision about size will be made on a store-by-store basis, Rossy said.

Dollarama said its profits surged to $31.3 million in the third-quarter as the discount retailer's sales increased 13.7 per cent and expenses were tightened.

Diluted earnings per share were 42 cents for the three-month period ended Oct. 31, compared with a profit of $1.1 million or two cents per share a year earlier.

Sales rose to $355.7 million from $312.8 million.

Analysts had forecast Dollarama would earn 38 cents per share on $351 million in revenues.

Much of the increase in revenue was the result of 45 new store openings over the past year and the sale of higher-priced items. It also benefited from lower interest expenses from reducing its debt and an eight per cent increase in sales at stores open at least a year.

The comparable stores sales growth was the result of a 1.6 per cent increase in the number of transactions and a 6.3 per cent increase in the average transaction size.

The pace of the same-store sales growth should weaken but will remain between three and eight per cent going forward, Rossy told analysts.

Dollarama enjoyed very strong sales growth last Christmas amid perfect shopping weather conditions. Same-store sales grew by 17 per cent last December.

"We can get knocked around pretty badly with weather, which we have been in the last week or so. And when you're talking weather in December that's big dollars."

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/Dollarama-targets-West-capress-2188929617.html?x=0

danby
Dec 11, 2010, 8:16 PM
Out of any Dollar Store Dollarama is my favorite! I hope it lasts.. many dollar stores come and go

ericlewis91
Dec 13, 2010, 4:40 AM
why is target taking so long :(

SpongeG
Dec 16, 2010, 5:50 PM
Marshalls department store announces locations across Canada

By Marc Weisblott | Daily Brew – Wed, 15 Dec 3:29 PM EST

Popular U.S. discount department store Marshalls formally announced its expansion to Canada this week. The move is part of a trend that finds more American retailers moving north in the aftermath of the recession.

Six locations of Marshalls will open in Canada next year, including four planned for the Toronto area, one of which is notable for its conversion from a nightclub that aspired to be the most cutting-edge in the world.

The bankruptcy of Circa, less than three years after opening, provided a prime downtown location for Marshalls owner TJX Companies, which expects to eventually open up to 100 similar stores across the country.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/marshalls-department-store-announces-locations-across-canada.html

Dec 16, 2010, 6:22 PM
Yes, I was just thinking about how I'd like to own a mobile phone, but none of the mobile phone retailers really speaks to me as a gay man.

This is absolutely one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of.

I have yet to see anyone in the store besides the staff.... It won't be around too long it seems.

SpongeG
Dec 16, 2010, 8:58 PM
they are opening a second CAYA store in Gastown on water street here in Vancouver

seems like they want to go with the concept

but that said most cell phone stores are empty when i pass unless they are in a mall

SpongeG
Jan 12, 2011, 10:03 PM
Is Zellers a ‘Target’ for takeover as U.S. stores enter Canadian market?

By Marc Weisblott | Canada - Daily Brew – Wed, 12 Jan 11:30 AM EST

When news of several discount American chains expanding into Canada brewed through the fall, few stories considered where all of those Target, Kohl's and Marshalls stores were going to fit.

The answer, it turns out, can likely be found at your nearest Zellers.

A report from The Globe and Mail stated U.S. property entrepreneur Richard Baker, whose private equity firm NRDC acquired Zellers parent Hudson's Bay Company in 2008, is eager to sell locations of the discount chain.

But the source for the story also cautioned the deal would be a complicated one.

While it might seem natural to flip all the unfashionable Zellers stores into the more glamorous Target, much like how 122 Woolco locations were acquired by Walmart in 1994, the transition would not be quite so seamless.

Nonetheless, retail watchers don't think the 276 Zellers stores would survive the competition, anyhow.

Not only has Target confirmed plans to enter the Canadian market along with rival store Kohl's, the clothing chain Marshalls confirmed it will open first six stores north of the border later this year with hopes for around 90 more.

Zellers, founded in 1931 after Waterloo, Ont.-born founder Walter P. Zeller purchased the 14 Canadian locations of five-and-dime store Schulte-United, merged with the Bay in 1978.

Later, the name was planted on locations acquired from Quebec-based Bonimart and its English Canadian equivalent Towers, and the bankrupt B.C. chain Woodward's.

Despite its prominent national presence, Zellers has not been able to shake its second-rate status since the invasion of Walmart in 1994.

"Because the Lowest Price is the Law!" was played up as its slogan, along with other nationalistic positioning statements and the pioneering "Club Z" reward program, the brand arguably hasn't benefitted much amid ownership changes at HBC.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/zellers-target-takeover-u-stores-enter-canadian-market-20110112-083032-382.html

Tony
Jan 13, 2011, 2:37 PM
Target to open more than 100 Canadian stores

Dana Flavelle Business Reporter

Cheap-chic discount department store retailer Target Corp. Has confirmed it will enter the Canadian market through the purchase of Zellers’ leaseholds.

The deal, valued at $1.825 billion, will allow Target to open its first Canadian stores in 2013.

The company, which is the second largest U.S. Discount retailer behind Wal-mart, said it is purchasing 220 leaseholds from Hudson’s Bay Co.

Under a complex leaseback arrangement, the stores will continue to operate as Zellers for the time being.

Target plans to convert 100 to 150 stores to its banner. Additional sites may be converted to other retail brands, the company said in a statement Thursday...

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/921073--target-to-open-more-than-100-canadian-stores?bn=1

Sounds like some stores will be closing or rebranded to something else.

Biff
Jan 13, 2011, 2:48 PM
Finally. I hate Zellers.

Bdog
Jan 13, 2011, 5:35 PM
Finally. I hate Zellers.

Where am I supposed to get my Cherokee gear now?

mersar
Jan 13, 2011, 6:23 PM

Not all Zellers locations were involved in the deal with Target. Zellers has about 290 stores, but only 220 were sold to Target. HBC has indicated in other stories on other sites this morning they will continue to operate them as Zellers, though there may be some changes in terms of product lineups.

SpongeG
Jan 13, 2011, 6:40 PM

um at target since cherokee has always been at target even before zellers had it

http://www.target.com/Cherokee-Mens/b?ie=UTF8&node=13162131

a lot of the brands at zellers were lifted from target when zellers started to style itself after target

Bdog
Jan 13, 2011, 6:52 PM
um at target since cherokee has always been at target even before zellers had it

http://www.target.com/Cherokee-Mens/b?ie=UTF8&node=13162131

a lot of the brands at zellers were lifted from target when zellers started to style itself after target

Well, that's great news lol. I was kidding about Cherokee, but had remembered that much of my back to school clothing years back had been from Zellers...

SpongeG
Jan 13, 2011, 6:59 PM
haha yah - hopwfully its not a watered down version of the usa - it probably will be but they do have some great stuff for the home clothes not so much - although they have a cool converse line and mossimo is already at zellers so no change there

I was reading about zellers yesterday it bought out a bunch of locations of some US store brand that was operating in ontario and quebec way back some guy from ontario named zeller bought out the 14 stores of that US chain

Taeolas
Jan 13, 2011, 7:03 PM
I hope they go a full "Targetization" on the stores they do change over, and not just a name change. One of the things I like the most about visiting Target in the States is the appearance and cleanliness standards of the stores I was in. Just about every Zellers store I've ever been to needs a full cleanout and renovation to be brought anywhere near the Target standards.

SpongeG
Jan 13, 2011, 7:13 PM
maybe we will see some ad wraps on the skytrain :)

http://www.chicago-l.org/trains/gallery/images/2600/cta2813-target.jpg
www.chicago-l.org

http://media.syracuse.com/storefront/photo/targetjpg-6602af9152896158_large.jpg
media.syracuse.com

http://blog.getpeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/target014.jpg
blog.getpeek.com

and of course...

6HxnYXS1w_4

Jay in Cowtown
Jan 13, 2011, 9:23 PM
I was reading about zellers yesterday it bought out a bunch of locations of some US store brand that was operating in ontario and quebec way back some guy from ontario named zeller bought out the 14 stores of that US chain

Five n' Dime was the store Zellers bought out after the depression.

Can't say I go into many Target stores when I'm south, but I know people that cross the line just to shop there. They refer to them as "Tarjey"... I'm glad Zellers will eventually be disolved, their stores lately were becoming a national embarrassment!

mersar
Jan 13, 2011, 10:19 PM
I hope they go a full "Targetization" on the stores they do change over, and not just a name change. One of the things I like the most about visiting Target in the States is the appearance and cleanliness standards of the stores I was in. Just about every Zellers store I've ever been to needs a full cleanout and renovation to be brought anywhere near the Target standards.

Well they did say they plan on sinking $1B into in-store improvements, and while $5M/store may not be a huge amount it will make a signficant increase. The big thing to read out of this deal though is that Target is only buying the leases, not the actual Zellers stores and business. So I'd imagine that HBC will be leasing back the space from Target and operating the stores themselves until Target decides to convert a store, at which time the Zellers will close and renovations will begin. Or in the case of the stores that Target doesn't want, until they decide to sell and find a buyer.

SpongeG
Jan 14, 2011, 12:04 AM
soem other places i've been reading are saying 60 of the stores that target doesn't want are wanted by walmart and they may take over some stores

will be interesting to see what happens and how fast stores close etc in anticipation of target and whatever else could take over

kohls had plans already to open in 2011/2012 in Canada perhaps they will start with some locations that target discards

http://www.harlingenedc.com/images/kohls-corners.jpg
harlingenedc.com

Rusty van Reddick
Jan 14, 2011, 3:57 AM
Calling Target "Tar-jey" is a joke everywhere in the US. Nobody actually thinks it's pronounced that way.

miketoronto
Jan 14, 2011, 4:13 AM
So when is Canada going to sell off the Canadian Government to the U.S. Government and finish off the the complete takeover of Canada by the Americans?

The founders of Canada's great companies, and retail empires must be turning in their graves at the sale of this country to the highest bidder one piece at a time.

The thing I find so funny is people act like these stores are so different than Zellers, when they are not. Target sells the same crap Zellers and Walmart does. It is no different, yet people think it is.

SpongeG
Jan 14, 2011, 4:17 AM
So when is Canada going to sell of the Canadian Government to the U.S. Government and finish off the the complete takeover of Canada by the Americans?

The founders of Canada's great companies, and retail empires must be turning in their graves at the sale of this country to the highest bidder one piece at a time.

The thing I find so funny is people act like these stores so different than Zellers, when they are not. Target sells the same crap Zellers and Walmart does. It is no different, yet people think it is.

thats like saying a PC and a mac are the same :rolleyes:

its different if you don't get it you just don't get it and thats okay

anyway zellers bought out an american chain and renamed it to zellers

so its come full circle it was american to begin with

miketoronto
Jan 14, 2011, 4:22 AM
thats like saying a PC and a mac are the same :rolleyes:

its different if you don't get it you just don't get it and thats okay

anyway zellers bought out an american chain and renamed it to zellers

so its come full circle it was american to begin with

I was just in the USA for 4 days and was dragged to a number of malls. Target has the same brands as Zellers and Walmart. The only difference is they have some private label for clothing. And the clothing is still not something I would buy. But other than a couple different shirts it is no different than Walmart.

To be honest as I have said before, it is almost getting boring going to the USA for shopping, because almost nothing is different anymore. I really had to search to find anything different in the USA that I could truly say "I can't get that design or item in Canada".

Thats o.k. though. Less money for me to spend at American stores, and more money to spend at Simons, a good Canadian company.

Will be interesting to see how all these American stores moving to Canada affect the malls near the American border. As some malls in American border cities get a large amount of their business from Canadians. With all the same stores here, there really is no reason to go to an American mall anymore.

I was just in Detroit and I think if there was 4 stores in the entire mall that we did not have in Canada, that was a lot. Otherwise it was just "pass, we have that in Canada, and the prices are just the same as in Canada". Makes for a quick walk through an American mall now. And I have to say the prices were just the exact same as in Toronto, because I checked out some items before leaving Toronto.

davidivivid
Jan 14, 2011, 4:32 AM
I really don't understand why it is taking so much time for Simons to expand in Ontario... It's been 10 years since the last wave of store expansion and the company is making a lot of money. There is speculation about a possible store in Gatineau and Toronto but these are just rumors for the moment.

SpongeG
Jan 14, 2011, 4:35 AM
it has a cult following the same way anthropolgie, apple, h&m, trader joes has

they all sell the same kind of crap but they have cache and that is something that retailers can only dream of

if you don't understand that that doesn't matter - i love tarjey - even oprah said tarjey

jean paul gaultier, alexander mcqueen, cynthia rowley, michael graves, john derian, tucker, william rast, thomas o'brien and zac posen don't just team up to make collections with any old store - they have all or continue to have designer collections with target

shopping is shopping it shouldn't be special anyway - i for one am happy to have the choice and the ability to stay in canada and shop :)

SpongeG
Jan 14, 2011, 4:38 AM
anyway icebreaker is opening a store in vancouver - i don't think its a very well known brand outside BC (their website doesn't list any retailers that stock it) - its from new zealand and quite popular on the wet coast fits the lifestyle well

http://www.icebreaker.com

http://itsallaboutpr.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/ice_01.jpg
itsallaboutpr.files.wordpress.com

http://www.zappos.com/boutiques/1309/Icebreaker_main070806.jpg
www.zappos.com

Gerrard
Jan 14, 2011, 2:55 PM
I like Target for the store set up. You're correct in that they don't have a lot that's different about them product wise (except maybe the designer collaborations - the clothing ones are typically cheap and cruddy but the housewares ones are great). However, Zellers and Wal-Mart have a junky aura and bad organization whereas Target is well organized and above all CLEAN.

And they sell the new Polaroid camera, which is seemingly impossible to find in Canada.

But I'd give up any U.S. retailers just to be able to buy beer and wine in the grocery store (In Ontario)...

Acajack
Jan 14, 2011, 3:18 PM
I really don't understand why it is taking so much time for Simons to expand in Ontario... It's been 10 years since the last wave of store expansion and the company is making a lot of money. There is speculation about a possible store in Gatineau and Toronto but these are just rumors for the moment.

Nothing official has been announced yet but the worst-kept secret in Ottawa retail is that Simons is going to open a store as part of a big expansion to this mall in the east end of the city:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Laurent_Shopping_Centre

The mall is in the east end of Ottawa which has more francophones than the west, and is roughly a 25-minute drive from most parts of Gatineau.

Opinions are divided as to whether this is the best choice. Ottawa is bigger and richer than Gatineau, but on the other hand the vast majority of people in Ottawa-Gatineau who are familiar with Simons are those who are originally from places like Quebec City and most of these people live in Gatineau, not Ottawa.

Before you say that the people living in Gatineau will just go to the store in Ottawa, note that Les Ailes de la Mode at Bayshore in Ottawa was totally snubbed by people from Gatineau. This played a part (though there were other problems with that chain/store) in Les Ailes' demise because the owners were counting on capitalizing on name-brand recognition (on the Gatineau side at least) to bring in quite a few customers from across the river. But few of them came.

Not sure of the reason for all of the snubbing of Les Ailes but some people I overheard did allude to having to go to Ottawa to shop at a major Quebec chain (which did not have a store in Gatineau).

Not sure if Simons in Ottawa will face the same reaction from Gatineau residents. But in any event they would probably be wise not to count on the Gatineau market for much more than "gravy" for this store.

Note that Simons has a store in Sherbrooke (100,000 fewer people than Gatineau and a lower per capita income), but it is not in Saguenay or Trois-Rivières, which are similar in size to Sherbrooke but not as prosperous.

SpikePhanta
Jan 14, 2011, 4:21 PM

I love Simmons!

Jay in Cowtown
Jan 14, 2011, 4:33 PM
So when is Canada going to sell off the Canadian Government to the U.S. Government and finish off the the complete takeover of Canada by the Americans?

When I can buy a gun, a case of beer and a Directv box at a Canadian Target... the freedom takeover should finally be complete! :tup:

MolsonExport
Jan 14, 2011, 6:03 PM

The thing I find so funny is people act like these stores are so different than Zellers, when they are not. Target sells the same crap Zellers and Walmart does. It is no different, yet people think it is.

What? Target does crap way better than does Zellers.

Retail empires turning in their graves? Can you direct me to the cemetery?
The Bay is already American-owned! :haha:
On 16 July 2008, it was announced that Hudson's Bay Company (the parent company of the Bay) had been purchased by the US firm NRDC Equity Partners, which owns Lord & Taylor. The new combined multinational corporation is called Hudson's Bay Trading Company.
-wikipedia

Zellers sucked. Really. Who gives a flyin' fark if it is gone? Zellers was like Walmart, only with higher prices, lower selection, gloomier aisles, and even more wretched customers.

miketoronto
Jan 14, 2011, 9:38 PM

Simons expansion will be the end to the fame.

Simons is so great because it is not everywhere. They have a couple stores that sells clothing designs that for the most part can't be found anywhere else(they have their own clothing brands).

Simons due to the small nature of the company is still owned by the founders family and the family runs the operation. I sent in a comment once, and had the founders grandson actually message me back with a reply.

They know what is going on. But if they start expanding everywhere and just become another GAP or something, all will be lost.

Size and being everywhere is not always important. They offer a good product, good service, and they actually do help out Quebec alot(they are the company that brought that grand fountain in for Quebec City's 400th Birthday).
Once you turn into a huge national or international chain, a lot of that gets lost.

So I say they should stay put where they are. If I had Simons in Toronto it would just not be that special anymore. It would just become another place you find anywhere. And I bet they would lose that close personal touch you get now. There is no way the president of the company is going to personally email you about a comment you made about the good service they gave you, when a company becomes huge.

manny_santos
Jan 15, 2011, 12:43 AM
I am glad to see Zellers being taken over by an American company. Zellers was becoming a national embarrassment (as another poster pointed out). If a Canadian company can't run its stores properly, then someone else should be allowed to do it, regardless of where they're from. The most important things are that they adjust their strategies for the Canadian shopper, and hire local management who know local markets. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter who owns the company, whether they're Canadian, American, East Indian, Russian, or whatever. We are a global economy now. We have to get used to it, because it's not turning back.

davidivivid
Jan 15, 2011, 1:14 AM
Simons expansion will be the end to the fame.

Simons is so great because it is not everywhere. They have a couple stores that sells clothing designs that for the most part can't be found anywhere else(they have their own clothing brands).

So I say they should stay put where they are. If I had Simons in Toronto it would just not be that special anymore. It would just become another place you find anywhere. And I bet they would lose that close personal touch you get now. There is no way the president of the company is going to personally email you about a comment you made about the good service they gave you, when a company becomes huge.

Good point Mike. After all, the president of the company has always insisted on the importance of the costumer's shopping experience, reason why the design and ambiance of their shops are updated frequently... Yeah, good point!

miketoronto
Jan 15, 2011, 1:28 AM
Good point Mike. After all, the president of the company has always insisted on the importance of the costumer's shopping experience, reason why the design and ambiance of their shops are updated frequently... Yeah, good point!

Eventhough they have a number of stores, Simons has also always tried to make sure each store has a unique design, etc. They also went out of their way in expanding the Old Quebec City store to fit into historical buildings in the old town.

They do not follow the idea of the same looking chain store in every mall approach.

And the only way you can keep that kind of business attitude is to not have a thousand stores in every single city.
In fact I bet they do so good because they are small. Large chain stores get in trouble sooner or latter because their large size just drains profits, and consumer demand, etc.
Simons has been run for something like 150 years, and I think the small size is part of the success.

MolsonExport
Jan 15, 2011, 2:19 AM
Some girls will say that size isn't everything, but don't believe it.

SpongeG
Jan 15, 2011, 7:20 AM
size is important but you can always work it

SpongeG
Jan 17, 2011, 8:55 PM
its getting closer to toronto...

Five Guys Burgers and Fries
Hello Mississauga, Ontario!!! We would like to take a moment to announce that the Mississauga, Ontario Five Guys located at: 2150 Burnhamthorpe Road West, Mississauga , ON L5M 4Z5 is NOW OPEN!!!

SpikePhanta
Jan 18, 2011, 2:27 AM
I frikin love Five guys.
Too bad they dont have a location convenient to me, surrey and westvan = too far for a transit dude.

MTLskyline
Jan 18, 2011, 3:15 AM
I think that Five Guys just opened in Laval, making it the second Montreal-area location after Vaudreuil. They are also supposed to be opening one in Quartier Dix30 in Brossard, which is probably the one I'll try.

I know they are opening one on McGill Street in Old Montreal (just south of Notre-Dame Street and Victoria Square). It will probably cheapen the street though, IMO (McGill Street has to be among the most beautiful streets in Canada).

Is it anything like the In/Out Burger? That has got to be among the best I've ever had.

kirjtc2
Jan 18, 2011, 4:21 AM
I've had Five Guys in Boston. Tastes home-made. Pretty damn good, but I don't really get the obsession with it.

ZeDgE
Jan 18, 2011, 4:24 AM
Five Guys is ok.. but its a bit expensive. Tried the one in Calgary a few weeks ago. Over $30 bucks for three of us to have a burger each, drinks, and a large fry to share between us. :koko:

youngregina
Jan 18, 2011, 4:51 AM
There is one opening in Regina. I had no clue it was so well known.

RTD
Jan 18, 2011, 5:26 AM
its getting closer to toronto...

A Five Guys opened in Brandon, Man. last summer; one opening up in Winnipeg this year.

I still prefer Junior's or Burger Factory burgers myself.

SpongeG
Jan 18, 2011, 5:39 AM
Five Guys is ok.. but its a bit expensive. Tried the one in Calgary a few weeks ago. Over $30 bucks for three of us to have a burger each, drinks, and a large fry to share between us. :koko:

it's not fast food - it competes with red robin and that tier - red robin isn't that cheap burgers are pretty expensive there too

jack in the box isn't that cheap either or Carl's Jr and five guys is miles better

for a treat once or twice a year i'll gladly by the extra

SpongeG
Jan 18, 2011, 5:40 AM
There is one opening in Regina. I had no clue it was so well known.

obama eats there *snap* can't get a more famous clientele than that :yes:

NBNYer
Jan 18, 2011, 1:08 PM
it's not fast food - it competes with red robin and that tier - red robin isn't that cheap burgers are pretty expensive there too

jack in the box isn't that cheap either or Carl's Jr and five guys is miles better

for a treat once or twice a year i'll gladly by the extra

Wow, I'm surprised to see this kind of reaction for Five Guys. Maybe they have better quality restaurants in Canada. I went to one location here in the States didn't like it at all. It is in fact more expensive yet the interior looks like some cheap cafeteria and the food was some of the greasiest I've had.

And the open barrel of peanuts at the entrance is a nice touch too. :D

Not one I'm particularly glad to see pop up in canadian cities

SpongeG
Jan 18, 2011, 8:09 PM
for people who don't understand target check out the comments to target on facebook...

Target
Hey Canada: 2013. The countdown has begun.
about an hour ago · Unlike · Comment
You and 175 others like this.
Matthew London DeVille SO excited! :D
about an hour ago · Like ·
Matt Owens And we WELCOME you with open arms Target!!!
Corey Van't Haaff Start in BC please.
Nicole Pecard Eichholz YAY TARGET !
Aranda Swatez The faster the better!! see ya Zellers.. don't let the door hit you on the way out.
about an hour ago · Like · 2 people ·
Alyssa Keel Can't wait! Hope my Target Visa card works here!!
Daisy Karasek Why so long? Can't you come a little sooner?
about an hour ago · Like · 1 person ·
Jim Turner Awsome!!!!!
Stephane Lussier Are you going to fired all of us who work at Zellers????
Sharyl King Well, let's hope you bring the whole she-bang and not hold on to anything of the old Zellers. That place is so last century.
about an hour ago · Like · 1 person ·
Madison Gauthier so happy!
Thomas James Turner i hope you win the suit,,that other group caled fairweather,,mm the store they have kinda realy sucks...lol like a lower class stiches and here is a hint n a name???target canada int.
Danielle B. Secor Yeah! Finally.
Dana Schriver WOOOHOOOOOOOO
Emmy Campbell Cannot wait!!!
Maureen Little Not soon enough for my liking.I LOVE Target!
Monique Hryzak no kidding and i hope u have some deals like u do in the states --- and be better then zellers -- i always had bad lucxk with zellers
Chantal Bohbot will there be one in MONTREAL???? please say yesssssssssssssss
about an hour ago · Like · 2 people ·
Cara Fanjoy Miller Saint John, NB is waiting for you! Closest one is in Bangor, ME 4 hours away.
Jenn Pybus We can't wait!!! Yay!!
Suja George Can't wait!! We've been waiting for years for you!!
59 minutes ago · Like ·
Stephenie Koerne I can't wait!!!!
57 minutes ago · Like ·
Roberta Derksen YAY! Bring your coupon policy with your please!!
56 minutes ago · Like ·
Erin Gunn-Faria Its about time!!
54 minutes ago · Like ·
Jennifer Rikley WOOOHOOO!!! BRING IT ON!!!
52 minutes ago · Like ·
Kim Short Awesome!!!
52 minutes ago · Like ·
Crystal Molino woot! woot!!!!!!!!!
50 minutes ago · Like ·
Lynn Hirtle Aulenback Can't wait!!!!!
46 minutes ago · Like ·
Amy Martin Hooray for Target!!!!! Finally!!!
46 minutes ago · Like ·
Nicholas Vincent Lol
44 minutes ago · Like ·
Nicole Dooley We've been waiting for YEARS!!! So excited it's finally happening! Wish it was in 2011, or 2012....2013 is still so far away! Please do Kelowna, BC, Vancouver, BC, and Calgary, AB first!! ^_^
42 minutes ago · Like ·
Corinne Liscoumb D'Angelo can not wait!!
39 minutes ago · Like ·
Janet Begin Why wait!
38 minutes ago · Like ·
Jordan Kropla Make sure not to forget about us in the prairies, Saskatoon would love to get a Target!
38 minutes ago · Like ·
Veronica Precoor Oh Thank you. Zellers has become such a pain. Thank you.
35 minutes ago · Like ·
Isabelle Paquette I will be your best customer!
27 minutes ago · Like ·
Maria Thornton AWESOME..been a long time coming
22 minutes ago · Like ·
Amy Elizabeth I AM SOOO EXCITED. I drive like 3 hours to the states just to be with you, now I can have you in my home ( L )
22 minutes ago · Like ·
Maureen Andersen Barker squeeee!!!
20 minutes ago · Like ·
Lisa Forest Rostecki Not soon enough!! =)
18 minutes ago · Like ·
Laura Edelhofer McMurdy FANTASTIC!!!
18 minutes ago · Like ·
Tanya Mills-Dawson I can not wait as I was thinking about Target taking over!!!! Please sell the same products in your Target Stores in Canada as you do in the United States... Due to Walmart does not sell the same products in our Canadian Stores as they do in the United States Walmart!!! That is one way of beating Walmart Out!!! I love your Target Stores in the United States!!! Groceries, clothing, purses,perfumes,etc....
15 minutes ago · Like · 1 person ·
Ana Lucia Ortiz Nice!!! I love it.
12 minutes ago · Like ·
Amanda MacDougall Agreed Tanya! I want wild cherry pepsi please target!!!! :)
12 minutes ago · Like ·
Bobbi-Lee Nichole So excited! Will go over the border to Target until then! :)
12 minutes ago · Like ·
Magda Kobos Shelly I can't wait! My life will be complete in 2013
7 minutes ago · Like ·
Anja Spark Davis Ottawa,ON is waiting too...There are tons of people who regularly flock across the border to Watertown, NY.
7 minutes ago · Like ·
Jasmin Ali Woot! Target, cannot wait!
2 minutes ago · Like ·
Target Glad to hear you are as excited as we are! You can learn more about our move into Canada here: http://pressroom.target.com/pr/news/target-corporation-to-acquire-real-estate.aspx
about a minute ago · Like ·

MolsonExport
Jan 18, 2011, 9:49 PM
like, like...I mean...like, and....like....whoot!

Quality prose.

SpongeG
Jan 19, 2011, 6:22 AM
so fairweather started a lawsuite against target for $250 million

good luck with that

i for one will be buying nothing from the fairweather group - not that i ever have cause its just crap to begin with so no loss there

MolsonExport
Jan 19, 2011, 3:01 PM
Fairweather friends.

SpongeG
Jan 19, 2011, 11:36 PM
news story

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/924016--fairweather-files-250m-trademark-suit-against-target?bn=1

Clothing chain Fairweather Ltd. has filed a lawsuit against American discount retailer Target, on the grounds that it owns the right to use the name in Canada — though the U.S company says it sees no obstacle to its planned expansion into this country.

In documents filed in Federal Court on Monday, Fairweather said it is seeking up to $250 million in damages for alleged trademark infringement, and wants an injunction to block the U.S. Target chain from using the name in Canada.

Toronto-based Fairweather has owned the Canadian rights to the name for 10 years, when it bought assets from bankrupt former BiWay owner Dylex Ltd. Dylex had registered the “Target Apparel” name in 1981.

Fairweather has been operating a Toronto clothing store under the name “Target Apparel” since 2005.

The flashy American Target, which is known for designer fashion collaborations at discount chain prices, announced last week that it plans to open more than 200 stores in Canada in the next decade as it takes over the leases for the majority of Zellers stores from the Hudson’s Bay Company.

Fairweather claims the American retailer’s entry into Canada would lead to loss of customers, the devaluation of the Target Apparel name, and loss of control over its trademark and reputation.

SpongeG
Jan 20, 2011, 7:39 AM
Joe Fresh goes to the mall

http://media.thestar.topscms.com/images/9a/90/7537da8847f8bcc3dcfe6f1afde6.jpeg
Joe Fresh launch of its first stand-alone store on Granville St. in Vancouver in October, 2010.
SUPPLIED PHOTO

Dana Flavelle
Business Reporter

Clothing retailer Joe Fresh says it’s planning to open 20 stand-alone stores in Canada, including its first mall-based locations.

The brand, which is currently sold through Loblaw Cos. Ltd. superstores, said it will open four such stores this year, including three in the Greater Toronto Area.

The company defined “stand-alone” as stores that are not within or adjacent to a Loblaw store.

“We are excited to be able to reach many more of our loyal Joe Fresh customers in these great locations,” said Mimran of Joseph Mimran & Associates, creative director, apparel, home and entertainment for Loblaw Cos. Ltd.

The retailer also plans to open two smaller “studio” stores in downtown Toronto, including one in Maple Leaf Gardens, later this year.

The moves come amid unconfirmed reports Mimran is also scouting a location in Manhattan. Reported by bloggers on both sides of the border, it has so far been denied by the company.

Mimran previously built the Club Monaco chain into a cross-border retail powerhouse. The chain was subsequently bought out by the Ralph Lauren Co.

Mimran went on to create the Joe Fresh brand for Loblaw Cos. Ltd. in 2006. The line includes clothing, footwear and cosmetics.

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/924468--joe-fresh-goes-to-the-mall#article

davidivivid
Jan 21, 2011, 4:29 PM
Well well well...Who would have thought!!! Simons will open two new stores next year. The first one will be situated at the Galerie d'Anjou in Montreal. The second one will open in 2012 and will be the first store of the brand to be situated outside of the Province of Quebec. It will be located in........Edmonton (West Edmonton Mall)!!! I did not see that coming!

Anyway, here's a link to the article from La Presse (in french):
http://lapresseaffaires.cyberpresse.ca/economie/commerce-de-detail/201101/21/01-4362248-simons-investira-50-millions-dans-deux-nouveaux-magasins.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=lapresseaffaires_LA5_nouvelles_98718_accueil_POS5

MolsonExport
Jan 21, 2011, 4:49 PM
Loblaws...and clothing. Is the apparel expired?

SpongeG
Jan 21, 2011, 6:26 PM
caban started out in loblaws

SpikePhanta
Jan 21, 2011, 7:53 PM
Nooooo, Simons wont feel special now!

mersar
Jan 21, 2011, 9:08 PM
And for those who aren't bothered to read the article above, the fourth Joe Fresh location is at Cross Iron Mills outside Calgary.

MolsonExport
Jan 22, 2011, 2:45 AM
I find Joe to be Stale.

SpikePhanta
Jan 22, 2011, 3:34 AM
Yeah, all the stuff I bought at Joe two months ago (when it open), can't be worn now, the quality isnt that good, and the mens selection is lacking.
I'm still going to give Joe a second chance.

bomberguy
Jan 22, 2011, 3:35 AM
Joe Fresh has some nice clothes. But the quality is terrible. I just bought a winter vest this morning because it looked nice and was on sale. I hope it lasts a week.

SpongeG
Jan 22, 2011, 7:50 AM
its fast fashion what do people expect - its not any worse than H&M that stuff barely lasts a few washes

they have small sizing too and i bought some jeans once without trying them on and tried em on at home and they were very low rise like barely covered anything so i had to return em

SpikePhanta
Jan 22, 2011, 8:23 AM
its fast fashion what do people expect - its not any worse than H&M that stuff barely lasts a few washes

they have small sizing too and i bought some jeans once without trying them on and tried em on at home and they were very low rise like barely covered anything so i had to return em

H&M is far superior.

But I agree on the sizing, I had to return 3 objects due to it being smaller than other brands (even if labeled the same size).

SpongeG
Jan 24, 2011, 10:02 PM
I don't know about H&M the stuff I have bought there has washed poorly or broken and hasn't lasted long at all - the stuff I have gotten from Joe has lasted much longer and washed well

anyway in other news...

Five Guys Burgers and Fries
Hello Airdrie, Alberta, Canada!!! We would like to take a moment to announce that the Airdrie, Alberta, Canada Five Guys located at: 100 Sierra Springs Drive, Airdrie, Alberta, Canada T4B3G4 is NOW OPEN!!!

Airboy
Jan 25, 2011, 4:17 PM
I see the 2 -5guys for the Edmonton area are suburban. I would of thought they'd go after an area with higher traffic. The ST Albert location is near ( feetaway) from A&W KFC, MacDonald s. and Harveys.

Jay in Cowtown
Jan 25, 2011, 4:27 PM
Glad the Airdre 5-Guys is open, the one at Deerfoot Meadows was a gong show... those burgers are good though, If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up!

caltrane74
Jan 25, 2011, 5:04 PM
10:00 25Jan11 CNW-Yorkdale Shopping Centre Announces $220 Million Expansion
For best results when printing this announcement, please click on the link below:

http://pdf.reuters.com/pdfnews/pdfnews.asp?i=43059c3bf0e37541&u=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20110125:nCNWC4933a

Yorkdale Shopping Centre Announces $220 Million Expansion

Canada NewsWire

TORONTO, Jan. 25

TORONTO, Jan. 25 /CNW/ - Canadians wanted it and now they have it: more of the world's top brands available to shop right
here on home soil, thanks to an exciting new $220 million expansion that will add more than 145,000 square feet and 40 new
stores to Yorkdale.

Construction will begin this month and is set to be completed by late 2012, with a shopper's dream of flagship stores and a
number of 'first to market' brands. Yorkdale is expanding to inspire and will welcome retailers from all over the globe to
join the existing 225 stores and services at Canada's premier shopping destination.

"We're expanding thanks to the strength and success of the existing shopping centre and strong tenant demand for space,"
says Anthony Casalanguida, General Manager, Yorkdale Shopping Centre. "Not only are we bringing an amazing array of new
brands to Yorkdale, but this expansion will also bring employment opportunities to the GTA, both during the construction
phase and once retailers open."

In addition to adding new retail stores, Yorkdale's food court will now re-locate to the vacant third floor level of the
former Eatons store and will offer double the number of seats and additional new restaurant options. Including a brand new
patio and skylights, the new food court will also reduce waste by 85 per cent with reusable tableware.

Already certified as a Go Green Plus building through BOMA (Building Owners and Managers Association) in 2008, Yorkdale
Shopping Centre remains committed to sustainability. This expansion will feature the same sustainable technologies that are
implemented in the existing facility, including a 65,000 square foot green roof, which will extend roof lifespan and reduce
atmospheric heating. This growth will make Yorkdale eligible for silver certification in Leadership in Energy and
Environmental Design (LEED).

The expansion also includes more than 800 new underground parking spaces, as well as a new valet parking area.

As part of its expansion, Yorkdale will be making contributions to support local neighbourhood revitalization. These
contributions will allow for the design and construction related improvements to public access at the east end of Yorkdale
Shopping Centre centre and Yorkdale Park including an enhanced landscaping plan. In addition, Yorkdale will be contributing
to the Yorkdale Community Arts Centre.

In 2005, Yorkdale Shopping Centre completed a $110 million dollarexpansion which saw growth in customer traffic and sales
volume, making 2005 the most successful year in all of Yorkdale's preceding years. Since then, Yorkdale Shopping Centre has
continued to grow and improve its capabilities, including the centre's award-winning greening initiatives.

About Yorkdale Shopping Centre
With more than 225 shops and services including Tiffany & Co., Burberry, Crate & Barrel, Apple, Holt Renfrew, Hugo Boss and
Zara, Yorkdale Shopping Centre, which is managed by Oxford Properties, is Canada's premier fashion destination. Yorkdale is
owned by Alberta Investment Management Corporation (AIMCo), on behalf of its clients, and Oxford Properties Group.
Dedicated to sustainability, Yorkdale's 1.45 million square feet has received more than a dozen prestigious awards and
recognition for creating a balance between sustainable environmental programs and a unique shopping experience since 2001.
In 2007, Yorkdale was awarded the BOMA Go Green Plus Certification with it dedication to sustainable design. Yorkdale is
located at 3401 Dufferin Street, off Allen Road, near the 401. Yorkdale is also accessible via TTC, located on the Spadina
subway line. For more information visit www.yorkdale.com.

About Alberta Investment Management Corporation
AIMCo is one of Canada's largest investment management firms, with total assets under management of $70 billion. It was
established on January 1, 2008 with a clear mandate to provide superior long-term investment results for its clients. AIMCo
operates independently from the Government of Alberta and is responsible for managing the investments of certain Alberta
public sector pension plans, endowments and government funds, including the Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund. For more
information about AIMCo, visit www.aimco.alberta.ca.

About Oxford Properties Group
Oxford Properties Group celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2010 and is one of North America's largest commercial real
estate investment, development and management firms. Oxford oversees and manages approximately C$16 billion of real estate
for itself and on behalf of its co-owners and investment partners including headquarter buildings and development projects
such as the Royal Bank Plaza in Toronto, the West Side Yards in New York, Watermark Place in London and Centennial Place in
Calgary, and major shopping centres including Yorkdale, Square One and SouthCentre. Oxford's investments include office,
retail, hotel, industrial and multi-family residential properties. Oxford is the real estate arm of the OMERS Worldwide
Group of Companies. For more information visit www.oxfordproperties.com

SpongeG
Jan 26, 2011, 1:32 AM
sounds good
we need some shopping action here in stale vancouver :(

SpikePhanta
Jan 26, 2011, 1:56 AM
Oakridge, Brentwood and Lougheed are all poised for expansion.

So patience SpongeG, patience.

caltrane74
Jan 26, 2011, 2:29 PM
Here are the renderings.... yay!

I hope that will happen too, but it was not mentioned, so I am wondering if all of the public benefit money this time is going into improved access to the station: I imagine that will be expensive. If Arc en Ciel is not to be reinstalled at this point, then I hope that what Yorkdale general manager Anthony Casalanguida told The Star is true; that this will not be Yorkdale's last expansion. If they are expanding again in another couple of years, then I would push for Arc en Ciel then if we don't get it this time.

Meanwhile, here are the renderings; first three of the new retail area to the southwest, then working over to the new food court in the space that was originally Eaton's third floor.

http://urbantoronto.ca/picoftheday/images/YorkdaleNewRetail3.jpg

http://urbantoronto.ca/picoftheday/images/YorkdaleNewRetail2.jpg

http://urbantoronto.ca/picoftheday/images/YorkdaleNewRetail1.jpg

http://urbantoronto.ca/picoftheday/images/YorkdaleFoodCt3.jpg

http://urbantoronto.ca/picoftheday/images/YorkdaleFoodCt4.jpg

http://urbantoronto.ca/picoftheday/images/YorkdaleFoodCt5.jpg

http://urbantoronto.ca/picoftheday/images/YorkdaleFoodCt6.jpg

http://urbantoronto.ca/picoftheday/images/YorkdaleFoodCt1.jpg

http://urbantoronto.ca/picoftheday/images/YorkdaleFoodCt2.jpg

SpikePhanta
Jan 26, 2011, 4:14 PM
The food court reminds me of Vancouver's Metrotown and Pacific Centre in a hybrid way.

RTD
Jan 26, 2011, 6:17 PM
Winnipeg on outlet mall radar
U.S.-based Tanger to open centres across Canada

By: Murray McNeill

The closest factory outlet mall to Winnipeg is the Albertville Premium Outlets mall near Minneapolis, Minn., which boasts more than 100 discount retailers.

Bargain-hunting fashionistas rejoice!

Winnipeg is one of the cities that will be getting a U.S.-style factory outlet mall, according to a spokesman for one of the income trusts that's bringing the retail concept to Canada.

"There's got to be one in Manitoba, and if there's going to be one in Manitoba it's got to be near Winnipeg," Edward Sonshine, president and CEO of Toronto-based RioCan Real Estate Investment Trust, said Tuesday.

Factory outlet malls, with their tantalizing combination of brand-name merchandise (usually prior-season goods) and deeply discounted prices, are huge retail draws in the United States.

North Carolina-based Tanger Factory Outlet Centres is partnering with RioCan to bring its outlet mall concept to Canada and its malls are typically about 350,000 square feet. That's similar in size to the new IKEA store that's scheduled to open in Winnipeg in 2012 or 2013. And because these malls usually feature dozens of brand-name outlets, one local retail leasing specialist said their drawing power is probably similar, as well.

"The (Winnipeg shoppers) will embrace it and it will be very big," said Ken Yee, senior executive vice-president of Cushman and Wakefield's Winnipeg office. "The outlets in the U.S. are always busy."

The closest factory outlet mall to Winnipeg is the Albertville Premium Outlets mall near Minneapolis, Minn., which boasts more than 100 discount retailers and more than 400,000 square feet of retail space. It's long been a favourite of Manitobans visiting that area.

Sonshine said RioCan and Tanger plan to open outlet malls in 10 to 15 Canadian cities over the next five to seven years.

"You won't be the first (to get one)," Sonshine said, adding that will be Toronto and Calgary because RioCan already has building sites in those two cities. After that, the partners will likely target Vancouver, Ottawa, Montreal, Edmonton and then Winnipeg. "So you're probably three or four years away, at least," he said.

Sonshine said the retail tenants that have told Tanger they're interesting in opening factory outlet stores in Canada include Nike, Adidas, J. Crew, Pottery Barn, Polo by Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Lacoste and Kenneth Cole.

"Ninety per cent of them will be brands they (Winnipeg shoppers) will recognize," he said.

Factory outlet stores typically boast prices that are 30 to 40 per cent below retail.

Sonshine said the partners haven't given any thought to where they might want to build their new outlet mall. But Yee had a few ideas.

"They're probably going to need a large chunk of land, so they'll likely end up in the IKEA development," he said, referring to the 1.5-million-square-foot IKEA/Seasons of Tuxedo retail development that's in the site-preparation stage at Kenaston Boulevard and Sterling Lyon Parkway.

"And I wouldn't rule out the (Winnipeg) stadium site, either," he said, noting there are 10.5 hectares of land available there and they could go two storeys high.

A third possibility is the Bishop Grandin Crossing retail/industrial/office development that's in the early stages on a chunk of land that includes the former Manitoba Sugar Beet property in south Fort Garry, Yee said.

While the pending arrival of factory outlet malls is great news for Canadian shoppers, one retail analyst told the Globe and Mail on Monday it spells more trouble for domestic retailers who are already bracing for the arrival of other U.S. retail giants like Target Corp., which recently struck a $1.8-billion deal to acquire up to 200 Zellers stores from Hudson's Bay Co.

"It's going to provide a lot more competition for the likes of the Bay and stores in the traditional enclosed shopping centres," said Wendy Evans, of Evans & Co. Consultants.

murray.mcneill@freepress.mb.ca

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/winnipeg-on-outlet-mall-radar-114631364.html

freeweed
Jan 26, 2011, 6:58 PM
Between Tarjhay and outlet malls coming, they might as well reduce the Emerson border crossing to a single gate.

RTD
Jan 27, 2011, 1:29 AM
Between Tarjhay and outlet malls coming, they might as well reduce the Emerson border crossing to a single gate.

Nah, all this means is that there is more retail shopping choice for Winnipeggers, solidifying us as a regional retain powerhouse. We will likely see an increase of American tourists as a result. To me there seems to be a major increase of young adult Americans (18-20) coming up to Winnipeg for party weekends. We are just under one hour away form the border, and the appeal of one of Canada's largest cities so close at hand is pretty tempting for those between 18-20 to come up to the city and party their asses off and spend money.

Also, there will always be throngs of Winnipeggers who make trips to Grand Forks, Fargo and Minneapolis, as they are all a reasonable drive away. It's about getting away and experiencing a different city in a different country.

North of 49
Jan 27, 2011, 1:56 AM
Tourism Winnipeg has plans in place to market Winnipeg as a place to go for college students within the region. We'll see how successful their plans are. They're targeting those college towns in North and South Dakota as well as Minnesota.

-cjob-

freeweed
Jan 27, 2011, 6:03 PM
To me there seems to be a major increase of young adult Americans (18-20) coming up to Winnipeg for party weekends. We are just under one hour away form the border, and the appeal of one of Canada's largest cities so close at hand is pretty tempting for those between 18-20 to come up to the city and party their asses off and spend money.

This ebbs and flows throughout the years. It's definitely not something new. I started going to the bar almost 20 years ago and US long weekends used to pack our clubs with Americans. Folks older than me tell me similar stories, pretty much going back to when the legal drinking ages started to diverge.

Personally I'm still waiting for us to legalize pot - THAT will bring up US tourists by the hundreds of thousands.

Duke-Of-Waterloo
Jan 28, 2011, 2:01 AM
Here are the renderings.... yay!

Why is Angelina Jolie in this render? :haha:

I guess Paris Hilton has shopped at Yorkdale in the past, so it is possible...
xFzKatH7IWY

RTD
Jan 28, 2011, 2:17 AM
This ebbs and flows throughout the years. It's definitely not something new. I started going to the bar almost 20 years ago and US long weekends used to pack our clubs with Americans. Folks older than me tell me similar stories, pretty much going back to when the legal drinking ages started to diverge.

Actually, I think it is growing. Literally, every year there are more and more Yanks coming here for a good party weekend. I have a few buddies who work the doors for a few clubs, and have been doing so for years, and they claim that the amount of American licenses being flashed at the entrance are increasing every year.

Since it brings more exposure for Winnipeg as a party destination for young adults, I see this as a good thing :tup:

freeweed
Jan 28, 2011, 4:52 AM
Unless your buddies have been working the door for 40 years, my point is that all you're seeing is the current swing of the pendulum.

Trust me, when our dollar was 60 cents (and no minimum drink prices in Winnipeg... ah 25 cent draft nights) we had a LOT of Americans coming up to drink. I can't see anything that would be drawing even more now.

RTD
Jan 28, 2011, 5:36 AM
Unless your buddies have been working the door for 40 years, my point is that all you're seeing is the current swing of the pendulum.

Trust me, when our dollar was 60 cents (and no minimum drink prices in Winnipeg... ah 25 cent draft nights) we had a LOT of Americans coming up to drink. I can't see anything that would be drawing even more now.

Well, I'm referring to the last 10 or so years. I refer to them as the "bar bouncer professionals" :D since they have made a profession out of bar bouncing. And within that time, yes, they have seen great increases in young Americans coming to Winnipeg to party it up, even during this last recession.

This is specifically what I'm referring to.

SpongeG
Jan 28, 2011, 8:35 AM
probably just a wave of americans at "that" age isn't there some stat that that age group is huge the kids of generation X whose generation is outnumbering their parents - the xer's
andthey wanna drink in a bar and party which they porbably cant do so easily back home

RTD
Jan 28, 2011, 2:36 PM
probably just a wave of americans at "that" age isn't there some stat that that age group is huge the kids of generation X whose generation is outnumbering their parents - the xer's
andthey wanna drink in a bar and party which they porbably cant do so easily back home

Yes, I know. That is the point of my comment as to why they come up here.

caltrane74
Jan 28, 2011, 3:23 PM
Why is Angelina Jolie in this render? :haha:

I guess Paris Hilton has shopped at Yorkdale in the past, so it is possible...

God, that is too funny.

Zarrah and one of those blond pittspawn is there too!

SpikePhanta
Feb 2, 2011, 8:00 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/hudsons-bay-revamping-restaurants-at-24-locations/article1891602/

The chain, which has recently introduced numerous chic clothing brands in an effort to change its image, says it is partnering with upscale restaurant operator Oliver & Bonacini and food services company Compass Group Canada.

The company says it wants to attract "die-hard foodies" while offering higher quality options to shoppers.

Ontario-based Oliver & Bonacini will focus on flagship locations in major Canadian cities while Compass will handle technology and facelifts at smaller stores.

SpongeG
Feb 4, 2011, 11:04 PM
Tim Hortons signs deal with Apparel Group to expand in Persian Gulf region

By The Canadian Press | The Canadian Press

OAKVILLE, Ont. - Tim Hortons (TSX:THI) is looking to the Persian Gulf for growth.

The coffee shop chain signed a master license agreement Friday with Dubai-based Apparel Group to open up to 120 restaurants in the Persian Gulf region over five years.

The deal covers the Gulf Co-operation Council which includes the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait and Oman.

Tim Hortons president and chief executive Don Schroeder said Canada and the United States remain the company's main drivers of growth but "there is an opportunity over the long-term to explore international opportunities and seed the Tim Hortons brand in various markets outside of North America."

The locations will be developed and operated by Apparel with five locations open this year.

"Our partners at Apparel have considerable knowledge of the local markets and consumer expectations and have introduced world-leading brands to the GCC," Schroeder said in a statement.

Apparel Group operates over 50 brands including Tommy Hilfiger, Kenneth Cole and Cold Stone Creamery with more than 600 stores in 14 countries.

Tim Hortons has more than 3,600 locations in Canada and the United States.

Late last year, Tim Hortons said it would shutter some 54 locations in New England, a money-losing market for the company.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/tim-hortons-signs-deal-apparel-group-expand-persian-20110204-115743-360.html

MolsonExport
Feb 5, 2011, 2:17 AM
Man, those people better get used quick to weak watery coughee.

SpongeG
Feb 12, 2011, 9:56 AM
7 For All Mankind to open first Canadian store in Calgary's Chinook Centre

BY MARIO TONEGUZZI, CALGARY HERALD

CALGARY — Another high-profile American retailer will open a new location at Chinook Centre.

The popular shopping centre in southwest Calgary will be home for 7 For All Mankind beginning March 9 as the Los Angeles-based premium denim-lifestyle brand aggressively expands with its first fully-owned stores in Canada.

The brand has been available in Canada since 2003 through high-end department stores including Holt Renfrew, Harry Rosen and Simons. But the company said it made a decision to focus on a "direct to consumer strategy due to the Canadian consumers' increasing demand" and "the strong, resilient buoyancy of the Canadian market."

It is planning to open 10 to 15 stores in mall locations within the next five years. Currently the brand operates 119 stores worldwide.

"The new Canadian stores will feature design characteristics similar to other 7 For All Mankind retail locations but will also uphold a regional feel," it said in a news release. "7 For All Mankind will offer shoppers a broad assortment of the brand's collection for men and women including denim, sportswear, and eyewear."

The company was founded in 2000.

Darryl Schmidt, vice-president of leasing at Cadillac Fairview Corp. Ltd., said the American retailer's decision to make Calgary the launching point for Canada was primarily driven by two factors.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/Mankind+open+first+Canadian+store+Calgary+Chinook+Centre/4261637/story.html#ixzz1DjksYS4L

SpongeG
Feb 12, 2011, 8:35 PM
zumiez is opening in Park Royal here in Vancouver...

U.S. retail invasion gathers pace

Two more major U.S. retailers have confirmed they will open stores in Canada this year, beating out giant American discounter Target Corp. by almost two years and highlighting the frenzy of foreign demand for domestic mall space.

Express Inc. (http://www.express.com/home.jsp), the sixth-largest American fashion chain, will open its first six stores in Canada this year and a total of 50 in five years, executive vice-president Matt Moellering said.

Zumiez Inc., the hot skateboard apparel retailer that considered bidding for Canadian rival West 49 last year, is also launching its first outlets here this year.

“Everything we’ve seen and read from other retailers and the uniqueness of our business model tells us we will be very successful up there,” Trevor Lang, chief financial officer at the Everett, Wash.-based chain, told analysts recently. It will start with a “handful” of stores in Canada this year before getting “more aggressive.”

The impending entry of new chains underscores the growing appeal of the Canadian retailing landscape in an economy more buoyant than many U.S. and European markets. But it also puts pressure on existing merchants to raise their game and snag quality locations in an increasingly tight retail property market.

“The supply side of the equation is changing,” said Donald Marleau, a credit analyst at Standard & Poor’s. “It means more selection for consumers in virtually all segments … That’s where the Canadian retailers will find themselves walking the tightrope between a potentially difficult cost environment and competition that is just getting more and more intense.”

It all points to a challenging 2011 for retailers, Mr. Marleau said. The merchandising market will probably grow modestly by about 3 per cent this year, roughly the same as in 2010, he estimated. At the same time, consumers – grappling with record debt levels – are demanding low prices while retailers struggle with higher costs for goods.

Nevertheless, the economics of Canadian retailing can be attractive. Domestic retailers generated $578 of sales per square foot in malls – excluding department-store anchor tenants – compared with $398 (U.S.) among U.S. mall retailers, according to September figures from the International Council of Shopping Centers.

In a bid to cash in on the Canadian market, Target Corp. of Minneapolis announced last week a $1.8-billion (Canadian) deal to buy most of the Zellers stores and convert many of them to the Target banner by early 2013. Rival Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and home improvement specialist Lowe’s Cos. are among U.S. retailers expanding here this year.

“Canadian retailers will just have to be just a bit more focused,” said Rick Chad of executive recruiter Chad Management Group. Sears Canada could be hurt the most, he added. Weighed down by weakening results, Sears competes head-on with the newcomers.

Express of Columbus, Ohio, which runs more than 580 stores catering to twenty-somethings, is set to add further pressure on incumbents. A “rising star” that competes with such upscale fashion chains as J. Crew – which is also launching in Canada this year – and Gap Inc.’s Banana Republic, Express is breathing new life into its operations, said Neely Tamminga, senior research analyst at Piper Jaffray & Co. in Minneapolis. It has a formula of testing out-of-season products to keep on top of trends and minimizing the need to slash prices on unpopular merchandise, she said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/us-retail-invasion-gathers-pace/article1877963/

SpongeG
Feb 12, 2011, 8:42 PM
according to the express career web site they are hiring for a toronto store at Fairview Mall and for a store in Hamilton at Limeridge mall

canarob
Feb 20, 2011, 5:38 PM
The little big-box stores that could
SIRI AGRELL — URBAN AFFAIRS REPORTER
From Saturday's Globe and Mail
Published Friday, Feb. 18, 2011 7:26PM EST
Last updated Saturday, Feb. 19, 2011 9:55PM EST

When Steven Alikakos was negotiating the lease for the basement space of 96 Spadina Ave., a few concessions were required on both sides.

The new tenant wanted access to a back-alley loading dock, where palettes of wrapping paper, plastic toys and seasonal decor could be dropped on a regular basis.

The landlord had a somewhat more delicate request.

“They had to change their signage,” said Mr. Alikakos, the senior vice-president of retail Canada for commercial real-estate player DTZ Barnicke. “A forty-foot Dollarama sign on the side of the building would have completely altered that historic brick-and-beam building.”

With suburban growth slowed and city populations soaring, stores such as Wal-Mart, Loblaw and Target are changing their focus, modifying their big-box model to squeeze into the high-density Toronto core. And even if some urban shoppers cringe at the idea, swearing they will never forsake their neighbourhood bistros and boutiques for Milestones and HomeSense, the fact of the matter is that the success of these stores has already been written in receipts.

“The numbers are extremely compelling,” said Ed Sonshine, chief executive officer of shopping-mall developer RioCan. “It costs a lot more to be in the city, but places like Winners have proven that it’s well worth it.”

The major hindrance to big-box expansion in Toronto has not been attracting customers, but actually finding space big enough to accommodate even miniature versions of stores known primarily for their scale.

“They’re used to building a one-storey store that’s 100,000 feet with another seven acres of parking,” said Mr. Sonshine. “That just is impossible in the city. Even if you could find it, you could never afford it.”

In the U.S., the urban big-box invasion has been abetted by the fact that many large cities were once home to a large number of department stores, whose expansive footprints can be easily taken over and modernized.

In Toronto, stores are settling for space in the 8,000-to-20,000-square-foot range, with the understanding that city shoppers won’t necessarily buy as much, but they’ll come back more often.

The new Dollarama on Spadina is 9,700 sq. ft. below sidewalk level, marked with three relatively demure signs. But even with its low-profile look, the store’s midday lineups have demonstrated a surprising downtown demand for paper plates and party supplies.

Others are staking a claim to large-scale space that has not historically been associated with high-volume retail.

In December, Mr. Sonshine’s company bought a site on Dupont Street that is currently home to high-end car dealer Grand Touring Automobiles. He sees Dupont, with its numerous warehouse-scale buildings, as a potential “power centre” for Toronto big-box retail.

Other brands have been similarly creative in their choices.

In 2009, Leon’s moved into the Roundhouse and this summer, Crate & Barrel offshoot CB2 will open in the former Big Bop building at Queen and Bathurst, bringing young condo dwellers into a space that was once the sole domain of disaffected punks and underage drinkers.

Even the club district is being considered retail friendly, with the U.S. department store Marshalls reportedly eyeing the former location of Circa nightclub on John Street.

But because existing buildings can be hard to modify for a large-scale retailer, many brands are focusing instead on the opportunities of new build condominiums.

At Queen Street West and Portland, Mr. Sonshine’s RioCan is building a development that will house a 45,000-sq.-ft. Loblaws, an 8,000-sq.-ft. Joe Fresh and a 29,000-sq.-ft. Winners outlet in the base of a condo tower.

And in the Avalon condo being built at Yonge and Gerrard Streets, a 40,000-sq.-ft. Bed, Bath & Beyond will move in, along with a large-format Alice Fazooli’s.

Tony Hernandez, director of the Centre for the Study of Commercial Activity at Ryerson University, said these retailers are desperate to follow the population growth, and this means thinking differently about the kind of stores they open, and where they go.

“They have to be a bit more inventive, and that’s the challenge,” he said.

Downtown iterations of supermarket chains Sobeys and Loblaws have been successful by selling a large amount of prepared food, while scaling back the diaper and baking aisles.

Other retailers have had to drastically rethink the layout of their stores in an urban market, and modify their delivery methods for locations where private loading docks are not always an option.

The new shopping centre at Queen and Portland was built with underground loading facilities, while some big-box stores are investing in fleets of smaller delivery trucks that can more easily navigate city streets.

The next phase of big-box growth in Toronto will be vertical, said Mr. Hernandez, with stores stacked on top of one another like brightly coloured Lego blocks.

“It’s maximizing the use of the footprint,” he said. “The challenge with that is consumers. Do you want to go up to the fourth floor to shop?”

Of course, not every downtown big box works. Canadian Tire, which has pioneered large-scale urban retail, has struggled with its location at Bay and Dundas Streets.

Neighbourhoods outside of the core are more challenging to infiltrate, with shoppers less likely to embrace a Joe Fresh at Queen and Logan than they would be at Queen and Bay.

Somewhat surprisingly, John Kiru, executive director of the Toronto Association of Business Improvement Areas said his members welcome brand names, which bring increased foot traffic and membership revenue to a shopping district.

“I think the knee-jerk reaction is, ‘Oh my god, these guys are going to wipe us out,’” he said. “Quite frankly we could never match the marketing and promotion budgets that these operators have.”

But some big-box brands still present too large a psychological hurdle for Toronto shoppers. While we might be salivating over the arrival of Target, the prospect of a downtown Wal-Mart is decidedly less popular.

In 2009, the Ontario Municipal Board backed the city in blocking the development of a Wal-Mart near the intersection of Lake Shore Boulevard and Leslie Street after a concerted neighbourhood campaign.

The chain continues to experiment with smaller, more subtle urban models in U.S. cities, and most commercial developers believe it is only a matter of time before it finds its way onto downtown Toronto streets, popping up under shoppers’ feet like the Spadina Dollarama.

Mr. Alikakos said he can’t think of a big box brand that would not be accepted somewhere in Toronto.

“I really don’t know if there are any,” he said. “I think the downtown shopper has a similar mentality as somebody in Oakville or Pickering or Markham or Vaughan. Everybody wants the same thing, and that’s to save money.”

habfanman
Feb 22, 2011, 8:46 AM
Great news! Hopefully all Canadian stores will close and we'll be completely inundated by U.S. franchises! After all, we all know that Canadians suck at everything.. we can't even market to ourselves.

No need to shop at a mall in Cleveland when every Canadian city's retail is the exact same as every mall in Cleveland!

Bravo Canada!! We've come such a long way from being an independant country.. or a country with any meaningful aspirations.

SpongeG
Feb 22, 2011, 9:50 AM
the US knows how to retail! :D

habfanman
Feb 22, 2011, 9:59 AM

To you, apparently.

Taeolas
Feb 22, 2011, 1:05 PM
The little big-box stores that could
SIRI AGRELL — URBAN AFFAIRS REPORTER
From Saturday's Globe and Mail
Published Friday, Feb. 18, 2011 7:26PM EST
Last updated Saturday, Feb. 19, 2011 9:55PM EST

*snip*

Not sure what the big deal is about that. I know Ottawa has (had?) the Giant Tiger in the first floor and basement space just off the Byward market for years. Not to mention there was the Zellers right in Ottawa's downtown core as well (IIRC, isn't there a Zellers or two in Montreal's underground city? I've only passed through there once or twice a decade ago but I could've sworn I saw one down there). Just because it may be arriving to Toronto for the first (yeah right) time doesn't mean it's a 'new' development in retail.

MolsonExport
Feb 22, 2011, 1:53 PM
^Plaza Alexis Nihon has a Zellers (on the underground city).

Jay in Cowtown
Feb 22, 2011, 3:03 PM
To you, apparently.

To most North Americans!

Gerrard
Feb 22, 2011, 3:11 PM

There are a few retailers I'd love to see expand into Canada:

Uniqlo (just for the jeans but their Jil Sander collaboration is pretty great too)

Ben Sherman

Original Penguin (which doesn't even ship to Canada)

Glad we now have a Fred Perry and a Scotch and Soda.

SpikePhanta
Feb 22, 2011, 4:19 PM
There are a few retailers I'd love to see expand into Canada:

Uniqlo (just for the jeans but their Jil Sander collaboration is pretty great too)

Ben Sherman

Original Penguin (which doesn't even ship to Canada)

Glad we now have a Fred Perry and a Scotch and Soda.

They sell some Ben Sherman at the Bay! not a big collection but they update it every two weeks.

Gerrard
Feb 22, 2011, 4:56 PM
They sell some Ben Sherman at the Bay! not a big collection but they update it every two weeks.

Yeah I know. Plenty of retailers sell the stuff. Just would like a stand alone shop.

I also like Rugby by Ralph Lauren. Which is more fitted and younger than Polo.