PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Retail Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81

MolsonExport
Apr 19, 2023, 12:08 PM
Dry=wit (sometimes)
Export="exiled" from Quebec (home province)
Golden=aww shucks, unless it is to denote my age.

Denscity
Apr 19, 2023, 2:46 PM
Interesting approach by Edmonton's Edmonton Downtown Business Association.

News Release

April 17, 2023

The Edmonton Downtown Business Association announces three new programs that will support business growth and more shopping and dining options for the Downtown community and increase vibrancy in the core.

Downtown Retail Project
Applications are now open for the Downtown Retail Project, a business attraction and incubation program for retailers that will help remove barriers and reduce risk for opening brick-and-mortar stores in the downtown core. Up to six retailers will receive up to $250,000 each to help offset the costs of building out a new downtown location. Businesses will also benefit from three-months' free rent and marketing and other operational support once stores are up and running.

"When we talk about downtown vibrancy, high retail vacancy and a lack of shopping options are among the most frequently brought up frustrations from downtown residents, visitors, workers, and business owners. We're committed to help bring back a much-needed fresh and diverse retail mix to downtown Edmonton and support business owners who see the potential of our downtown by removing some of the high start-up costs and financial risk, which are often a barrier to entry," says Puneeta McBryan, Executive Director, Edmonton Downtown Business Association.

The program is a partnership with commercial real estate advisors Avison Young, selected through a competitive RFP process, who will lead site selections, lease negotiations, permitting and store design and builds for six successful applicants. Avison Young will also lend their expertise and knowledge to assist in retaining tenants and landlords.

https://www.edmontondowntown.com/wp-content/uploads/EBDA-Downtown-Retail-Project_Property-Owners-Landlords.pdf

That is interesting.

harls
Apr 19, 2023, 2:56 PM
Dry=wit (sometimes)
Export="exiled" from Quebec (home province)
Golden=aww shucks, unless it is to denote my age.

How about Ultra... or XXX :naughty:

giallo
Apr 19, 2023, 3:01 PM
I went on to Uber Eats last night, and saw this new addition.

https://i.imgur.com/jVVmL3oh.png

esquire
Apr 19, 2023, 3:32 PM
^ Damn, that is an expensive habit.

giallo
Apr 19, 2023, 3:39 PM
^ Damn, that is an expensive habit.

Parcel's Sweet Notes 14g for $60 is pretty cheap actually. Back in the 90s, we used to pay $70 for 7 grams.

Unless you're a chronic smoker, 14g should last you months.

MolsonExport
Apr 19, 2023, 5:04 PM

Ultra/XXX=my 'wild oats' days. I was pretty wild. Those days are long gone.

MolsonExport
Apr 19, 2023, 5:09 PM
I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread to post any snippets of retail information that might not necessarily warrant a thread of its own.

Here's an article about Lowe's coming into Canada. They're a big box home improvement chain à la Home Depot or Rona. There are talks of them buying Rona up.
Thursday, June 2, 2005 Updated at 3:55 AM EDT
From Thursday's Globe and Mail

Retailing and real estate insiders are bracing for the arrival of Lowe's Cos. Inc., a U.S. home improvement powerhouse whose entry into Canada could further shake up an already competitive retail landscape.

Two consultants have been quietly talking to Canadian landlords over the past few weeks, discussing possible deals for superstore sites, and industry sources believe Lowe's, the second-largest U.S. home improvement merchant, is the prospective tenant.

Lowe's could make an announcement about its plans for Canada as early as next week, real estate sources said. A number have been told to expect an announcement on June 6. Lowe's said it does not comment on rumours, but confirmed it has a global growth strategy.

"We have said for a number of years that we are evaluating international opportunities. At some point we will be a global company," said Chris Ahearn, a spokeswoman for Lowe's in Mooresville, N.C.

The chain has been a rival to Home Depot Inc., the world's biggest home improvement retailer, which already operates in Canada.

Lowe's has ridden the wave of women's growing interest in tackling home improvement projects. With annual sales of about $36.5-billion (U.S.) and more than 1,100 stores in the United States, Lowe's courts women by pushing home decor and other related items.

It has designed its mega-outlets in a more inviting manner, with wide aisles and bright lights to ease the stresses of shopping.

In Canada, Rona Inc. of Boucherville, Que., has become a powerful contender to the No. 1 Home Depot also by catering to women's tastes. As well, Rona has grown rapidly in recent years by swallowing rivals.

Now, industry insiders suggest that Lowe's may eventually try to snap up Rona, if it hasn't already attempted such a move.

When Robert Nibock took over as chief executive officer in January, he told analysts that he was interested in international growth.

"Certainly there's a lot of opportunity on the international side, and it's something that we will, over the next year or two, be in the process of assessing," Mr. Nibock said.

Retail consultant John Williams of J.C. Williams Group Ltd., said it may be difficult for Lowe's to establish itself quickly in this country without eventually making a big acquisition.

He pointed to the huge head start of both Rona and Home Depot. "It's a very difficult market," Mr. Williams said. "Rona and Home Depot are so well positioned now . . . They're really duking it out."

Home Depot has 120 superstores here while Rona has 530 outlets of varying sizes.

Sylvain Morrissette, a spokesman for Rona, said he couldn't comment on rumours. But he insisted that Rona has developed a strong strategy to ensure its future.

Rona differs from Home Depot in that it has a wide array of store types, from uber-sized big boxes to small outlets. Lowe's may only be interested in Rona's superstores.

The rumours about Lowe's possible arrival in Canada have created a buzz in the industry. One retailing source said he had heard that Lowe's representatives have tied up as many as a dozen sites for its mega-outlets, and that is has set up a Canadian office. It is expected that the first stores will be in Southern Ontario by next year.

Real estate officials said Michael Goulais and Alan MacKenzie of M. Goulais Consultants in Toronto have been meeting with them to discuss locations for a U.S. retailer entering Canada. "They are producing letters of intent," one official said.

Reached this week, Mr. MacKenzie did not comment on whether he and his partner represent Lowe's and are trying to find store locations for the retailer.

One real estate source said Mr. MacKenzie expressed interest in some of his company's locations, and he is waiting to hear back about offers for the sites.

"We've been told it's an existing American organization that's looking for anywhere from 10 to 15 acres," the source said. "There's not that many, even in the States, American guys that take that size unit. Most of the ones that do take it are already here."

U.S. discounter Target Corp. has also been interested in coming to Canada. But Target CEO Bob Ulrich said last month [May] that it has no immediate plans to expand outside the United States.

Roger Plamondon, regional operations manager for Eastern Canada at Home Depot Canada, said he has heard the rumours about Lowe's but "for us, it's business as usual . . .

"We have been in Canada for 11 years. We are very proud of our performance in Canada. We know the Canadian marketplace very well," Mr. Plamondon said.

Lowdown on Lowe's

In 60 years, Lowe's has grown form a modest collection of North Carolina hardware stores to a megastore chain that rang up $36.5-billion (U.S.) in sales last year.

The big box

Employees: 160,000 (80 per cent of them full-time)

Outlets: 1,100 in 48 U.S. States

Typical store: 117,000 square feet of retail space, selling about 40,000 products

The foundation

Began in the mid-1940s after H. Carl Buchan bought out his brother-in-law James Lowe and rode the postwar boom with a modest chain of hardware/lumber stores. In the 1980s with the rise of do-it-yourself, it evolved into full-fledged building centres.

The design

Make old stores feel like new - spent $500-million (U.S.) last year to upgrade stores and plans to invest $700-million this year.

The big three

Lowe's three-pronged sales strategy:

1-Installations (such as cabinets and decks)

2-Special orders (up to 500,000 items, such as fashion plumbing)

3-Commercial business customers.

The nuts and bolts

Company went public in 1961.

Joined NYSE in 1979 (NYSE: LOW)

Reached billion-dollar-annual-sales mark in 1980.

Over the past 10 years, results have risen steadily - for fiscal 2004, profit reached $2.18-billion on sales of $36.5-billion, 18% better than 2003.

Average customer transaction $63.43 in 2004.

The rivals in Canada

Home Depot, the Atlanta-based chain that entered Canada 11 years ago, has 120 superstores.

Rona, based in Boucherville, Que., has 530 stores of varying sizes.

And Lowe's has seen itself to the door now, selling its interests in RONA (along with Lowe's Canada outlets), which it paid over $2 billion, for a firesale price of $400 million. RONA will take over all Lowe's stores (will some close?)

I am somewhat saddened. Lowe's was way better than RONA and Home Depot.

Djeffery
Apr 19, 2023, 9:00 PM
And Lowe's has seen itself to the door now, selling its interests in RONA (along with Lowe's Canada outlets), which it paid over $2 billion, for a firesale price of $400 million. RONA will take over all Lowe's stores (will some close?)

I am somewhat saddened. Lowe's was way better than RONA and Home Depot.

I loved Lowe's because it was never busy (thus the exit). I suspect in London that the Rona at Wonderland and Beaverbrook will close. I'm not 100% sure that building is owned by the company or leased but they do own the 2 current Lowe's locations. The Rona store predates Rona ownership, as it was a Building Box originally, and is a bit older than the Lowe's (formerly Sam's Club), which has been renovated under Lowe's.

esquire
Apr 19, 2023, 9:40 PM
I don't get how one could really have a preference between Lowe's and Rona, they seemed practically identical to me, which makes sense. At least it is identical on the consumer side, I don't know about the contractor side.

MolsonExport
Apr 19, 2023, 10:06 PM
Rona outlets (based on the one I am most familiar with: Wonderland and Beaverbrook, London, mentioned above by DJeffery), in my opinion, are poorly laid out, and seem to lack staff. It could merely be my perception, but I find Lowe's (Hyde Park, London) to be tidy, with a logical layout, and relatively knowledgeable and helpful staff. Plus they have the better selection of appliances.

i recall when the local Lowe's was a Sam's Club. It did not impress me next to Costco.

Wigs
Apr 19, 2023, 11:14 PM
It wasn't McDonald's (that was during the eighties and early nineties).

No thanks. I don't miss the extreme stress and low pay of retail management.

The fact that he saw $15M in sales and 150 employees and thought it was a McDonald's shows me he doesn't know as much about private enterprise as he thinks :youmad:

Wigs
Apr 19, 2023, 11:16 PM
I don't feel that way at all. I think we are being gouged no matter where we live in Canada.

Oh we're all getting screwed right now from coast to coast. As my acquaintance discovered $70 small cart of groceries in 2017 now costs $158 in 2023 :hell:

My comparison is Alberta. Sure, gasoline is cheaper but groceries are higher.

MolsonExport
Apr 20, 2023, 12:18 AM
The fact that he saw $15M in sales and 150 employees and thought it was a McDonald's shows me he doesn't know as much about private enterprise as he thinks :youmad:

yep. it was during the nineties, so the equivalent figure would be about double ($30M in 2023 dollars).

Wigs
Apr 20, 2023, 1:35 AM

Or
https://i.postimg.cc/J4LgY6HT/brador-1-1.jpg

urbandreamer
Apr 20, 2023, 1:41 AM
Michael Medline must resign! Absolutely appalled by the sheer greed I saw at Sobeys tonight.

casper
Apr 20, 2023, 2:34 AM
Michael Medline must resign! Absolutely appalled by the sheer greed I saw at Sobeys tonight.

i don't think that was the reaction they were looking for. They were expecting you to be excited and leave happy knowing all the extra scene points you racked up.

O-tacular
Apr 20, 2023, 3:27 AM
Does this guy look likeable?
https://d2l4kn3pfhqw69.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/galen_weston.jpg
He's a complete phony at best, and soulless greedy asshole at worst. I am inclined to believe the latter.

I made $200 million last year!
https://www.cp24.com/polopoly_fs/1.6305183.1678317494!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_960/image.jpg

Westin’s ads are downright authentic and heartfelt compared to Sean Jones from Spence Diamonds.

https://www.mondaymorningmemo.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Sean-Jones-at-mic_280.jpg

Did you ever hear his awful radio ads when you lived in BC?

Edit: He even has a parody Twitter account: https://twitter.com/stopseanjones?lang=en

Also this video of a call centre guy who sounds like him reacting to hearing one of the ads is funny and plays the terrible ads:

QiNukohF8xk

north 42
Apr 20, 2023, 11:43 AM
Or

That was the beer of choice for Bush parties 40 years back.

MolsonExport
Apr 20, 2023, 1:14 PM
Westin’s ads are downright authentic and heartfelt compared to Sean Jones from Spence Diamonds.

https://www.mondaymorningmemo.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Sean-Jones-at-mic_280.jpg

Did you ever hear his awful radio ads when you lived in BC?

Edit: He even has a parody Twitter account: https://twitter.com/stopseanjones?lang=en

Also this video of a call centre guy who sounds like him reacting to hearing one of the ads is funny and plays the terrible ads:

QiNukohF8xk

Oh no, Spence Diamonds. From my BC years (nineties) I recall their horrid, incessant ads playing on "Rock 101" (itself a terrible station with the same 9 "classic rock" songs rotated every hour (and an insane amount of Bryan Adams shit like 'summer of 69ing"), but the other stations were even worse).

MolsonExport
Apr 20, 2023, 1:16 PM
Or

Back in my 15-year old self, this was the "malt beverage" that got you where you needed to go quicker. Especially if you drank it with a straw.

I am starting to feel old. Maybe this is a better match:
https://assets.untappd.com/site/beer_logos_hd/beer-31134_211a2_hd.jpeg

And for those long ago days of visiting shitty taverns in the East End of Montreal, I drank this ubiquitous product:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ed/Bi%C3%A8re_Laurentide.JPG/1200px-Bi%C3%A8re_Laurentide.JPG

claque-claque. The cheesiest beer in history:
Iu_w4zTJIvs

MolsonExport
Apr 20, 2023, 1:34 PM
These old beer commercials are great. Look at this one. The poor guy spends his whole day waiting for the moment he can get home to quaff his Labatt 50. You can tell he is thinking about it on the elevator ride down and the bus ride home.

Qmz5mIaT0A0

My wife doesn't greet me with a beer, alas.

niwell
Apr 20, 2023, 1:53 PM
Everytime these old pictures / videos of beer get posted I realllly want a Labatt 50.

Found out the sketchy pub near our house in Napanee serves quarts, though gotta find out a way to convince them to carry beers other than Canadian.

esquire
Apr 20, 2023, 2:12 PM
These old beer commercials are great. Look at this one. The poor guy spends his whole day waiting for the moment he can get home to quaff his Labatt 50. You can tell he is thinking about it on the elevator ride down and the bus ride home.

Qmz5mIaT0A0

By today's standards, it's amazing that the commercial is an entire minute long... :haha:

That working stiff probably still lives in that house in Vancouver. Except now he is 91, his house is worth $1.8 million, and he can now afford to bathe in Labatt 50

For what it's worth I always enjoyed 50 but I have not seen it in these parts in a loooong time.

Djeffery
Apr 20, 2023, 10:15 PM
I remember my grade 9 French teacher back in 1983 not being amused that one of my French projects was translating the Labatt 50 jingle. "Me and the boys and our 50, me and the boys and our beer". I did a literal word for word translation so I probably got it wrong, but Mr Stick-In-Butt wouldn't mark it. "Mois et les garcons et notre cinquant, mois et les garcons et nos biere". Maybe one of the Francophones here can give me my grade 40 years later. I did that from memory by the way, but I'm pretty sure that's what I came up with back then.

Kilgore Trout
Apr 20, 2023, 11:39 PM
I remember my grade 9 French teacher back in 1983 not being amused that one of my French projects was translating the Labatt 50 jingle. "Me and the boys and our 50, me and the boys and our beer". I did a literal word for word translation so I probably got it wrong, but Mr Stick-In-Butt wouldn't mark it. "Mois et les garcons et notre cinquant, mois et les garcons et nos biere". Maybe one of the Francophones here can give me my grade 40 years later. I did that from memory by the way, but I'm pretty sure that's what I came up with back then.

Very amusing. A little too proper though. "Moé pis les boys pis notre 50" would be more like it :cheers:

Kilgore Trout
Apr 20, 2023, 11:41 PM
I love that Molson Brador ad. Really makes me want to drink it. By all accounts it was a pretty bad malt liquor though.

urbandreamer
Apr 20, 2023, 11:41 PM
I remember in the early to mid 80s seeing those 50 stubbies lining the ditches of rural back road Ontario. I had this great idea to collect them to try to cash in on the return fee before realizing I'd have to find millions of them to become a rich 8 year old. Drinking and driving, no seat belts, smoking, barefoot driving all very popular with the teenagers from the late 60s to 1980s. They drove 1970s Camaro, F100, Omni, Parisienne, LTD etc.

Djeffery
Apr 21, 2023, 12:47 AM
One of my mom's friends decorating a Snowbirds flight suit with a 50 stubby at an airshow party in the late 70's.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52833756213_f2e5cf233e_o.jpg

manny_santos
Apr 21, 2023, 3:54 AM

Loco101
Apr 21, 2023, 4:07 AM

Qmz5mIaT0A0

That ad was filmed in Vancouver which is pretty cool. The house would be worth a lot today and I bet whoever is living in it now isn't taking the bus to and from work and also isn't drinking 50.

Proof Sheet
Apr 21, 2023, 10:14 AM
http://www.stubby.ca/index.php

Lots of memories here for some of the older guys....like Molson. :cheers::cheers:

Some of these I haven't thought of in years..Charrington Toby, Carlsberg (barely registers other than sports sponserships it seems), Carlsberg Bock, O'Keefe Ale, OV, John Labatt Extra Stock, Labatts Velvet Cream Porter (drank a lot of that in university..don't think I could drink much of it now), Labatts Super Bock, Labatts IPA, Champlain Porter,

esquire
Apr 21, 2023, 3:56 PM
I love that Molson Brador ad. Really makes me want to drink it. By all accounts it was a pretty bad malt liquor though.

I don't think they had Brador out here, at least not in my time.

The equivalent to that around here was this classic... the beer of kings

https://live.staticflickr.com/4151/5149212861_9a078f962e_b.jpg

MolsonExport
Apr 21, 2023, 4:35 PM

Lots of memories here for some of the older guys....like Molson. :cheers::cheers:

Some of these I haven't thought of in years..Charrington Toby, Carlsberg (barely registers other than sports sponserships it seems), Carlsberg Bock, O'Keefe Ale, OV, John Labatt Extra Stock, Labatts Velvet Cream Porter (drank a lot of that in university..don't think I could drink much of it now), Labatts Super Bock, Labatts IPA, Champlain Porter,

Ahh, the good ol' days.

There was a time in the 70s when my dad drank a lot of these:
http://www.stubby.ca/images/bottles/stubby_beer_bottle_carling_132.jpg

MolsonExport
Apr 21, 2023, 4:38 PM
amusing:
http://www.stubby.ca/images/bottles/stubby_beer_bottle_uncle_bens_117.jpg

Denscity
Apr 21, 2023, 8:17 PM
By today's standards, it's amazing that the commercial is an entire minute long... :haha:

That working stiff probably still lives in that house in Vancouver. Except now he is 91, his house is worth $1.8 million, and he can now afford to bathe in Labatt 50

For what it's worth I always enjoyed 50 but I have not seen it in these parts in a loooong time.

I've never seen Labatt 50 in BC before. Perhaps I'm just not old enough.

Denscity
Apr 21, 2023, 8:20 PM

And never even heard of most of these as well. I'm guessing not all of them were available west of Ontario? Or maybe west of the Rockies?

esquire
Apr 21, 2023, 8:33 PM
I think 50 was way more common around the time of that commercial, it was a national best-seller in the 70s. So it stands to reason it would have been available in BC too although I'm not certain about that.

Certainly in Manitoba it was prominent right up until the 80s and I still used to see it in Liquor Marts until about 15 years ago. But I'm not even sure if you can get it here anymore.

Proof Sheet
Apr 21, 2023, 9:18 PM
I think 50 was way more common around the time of that commercial, it was a national best-seller in the 70s. So it stands to reason it would have been available in BC too although I'm not certain about that.

Certainly in Manitoba it was prominent right up until the 80s and I still used to see it in Liquor Marts until about 15 years ago. But I'm not even sure if you can get it here anymore.

My local beer store has 10 'two fours' and 2 '12 packs' available but unfortunately no kegs.

It is only on draught it seems at the ever declining number of taverns in Ottawa. Probably more available in Quebec.

MolsonExport
Apr 21, 2023, 11:47 PM
Labatt completely stopped marketing its own beers, concentrating on slinging American horse piss instead.

esquire
Apr 22, 2023, 2:52 PM
Labatt completely stopped marketing its own beers, concentrating on slinging American horse piss instead.

It is so weird to me. The only Labatt product acknowledged in the list of brands on the Labatt website is 50. Of course, you can still buy other Labatt products but they seem to exist mainly as legacy products, sold mostly to older men without any sort of marketing push whatsoever.

I'm sure there's an explanation that makes sense, but it seems strange that a company would just let widely-recognized, historic brands wither and die like that.

Acajack
Apr 22, 2023, 3:12 PM
My local beer store has 10 'two fours' and 2 '12 packs' available but unfortunately no kegs.

It is only on draught it seems at the ever declining number of taverns in Ottawa. Probably more available in Quebec.

I was in a place in Gatineau recently where the only thing on tap that appealled to me (wanted something not too heavy) was Labatt 50.

It wasn't a tavern or a dive bar either.

esquire
Apr 22, 2023, 3:49 PM
I was in a place in Gatineau recently where the only thing on tap that appealled to me (wanted something not too heavy) was Labatt 50.

This is mainly why I enjoy macrobrews. I find a lot of microbrews very heavy or excessively strong... they often tend to be enthusiast-oriented. Give me a Blue or a Bud any day.

thewave46
Apr 22, 2023, 3:57 PM
I'm sure there's an explanation that makes sense, but it seems strange that a company would just let widely-recognized, historic brands wither and die like that.

Sure. Might as well call it 'Canada phenomenon'.

It's called: Large international brewer doesn't care to waste money promoting small regional brand when locals will just eat (er, drink) up mega-brand from other country.

Why waste a nickel keeping Blue alive, when people will happily buy Budweiser in Canada? :shrug:

Acajack
Apr 22, 2023, 4:15 PM
Molson(-Coors) also pushed Coors Light a helluva lot in Quebec, though Molson is still marketed very intensely. It's very closely associated with hockey here and I doubt Coors Light would elicit the same connection.

Molson is the hockey beer, and Coors Light is the cheap backyard barbecue or cottage beer.

esquire
Apr 22, 2023, 4:19 PM
But that appetite for foreign brands didn't just materialize out of thin air. It still takes a shit ton of marketing to get people to buy Stella, Bud, Michelob or whatever.

Loco101
Apr 22, 2023, 4:23 PM

What's ironic is that in Michigan Labatt Blue and Blue Light are heavily marketed. And right now they cost less in stores than Bud or Bud Light so they are selling quite well. An advantage of the currently low Canadian dollar and cheaper production costs in Canada.

thewave46
Apr 22, 2023, 4:25 PM
But that appetite for foreign brands didn't just materialize out of thin air. It still takes a shit ton of marketing to get people to buy Stella, Bud, Michelob or whatever.

Sure, but they were using the foreign cachet as the hook in some cases, and owned the things anyway. Even better that Bud could be promoted on US networks, sporting events, and whatnot and seamlessly cross the border in terms of culture.

The biggest mystery to me was how Miller Genuine Draft became associated with premium here, because it sure isn't premium in the US.

MolsonExport
Apr 22, 2023, 4:26 PM
It is so weird to me. The only Labatt product acknowledged in the list of brands on the Labatt website is 50. Of course, you can still buy other Labatt products but they seem to exist mainly as legacy products, sold mostly to older men without any sort of marketing push whatsoever.

Ironically, you see ads for labatt blue in the Excited States.

edit: whoops, loco101 beat me too it.

I also Labatt promoted in New York City and San Francisco. So bizarre.

I know that Blue is far from the finest of beers, but if you are going to sling horse piss, at least let it be Canadian-branded horse piss.

MolsonExport
Apr 22, 2023, 4:29 PM
Molson(-Coors) also pushed Coors Light a helluva lot in Quebec, though Molson is still marketed very intensely. It's very closely associated with hockey here and I doubt Coors Light would elicit the same connection.

Molson is the hockey beer, and Coors Light is the cheap backyard barbecue or cottage beer.

My Molson Export username reflects my long ago days of being a hard core Habs fan. I stopped watching NHL hockey about a dozen years ago. At best, I am a fair-weather fan (but always, and forever, I will root for the Habs....and the Nordiques when they return). Never the Loafs or the Bruins.

I kept the export name partly out of being an Export of Molson-land (montreal). It has been a long time since I swilled MolsonEx (tavern days). I wouldn't be surprised to see myself in a photo like this:

https://dcmontreal.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/tav1.jpg
https://dcmontreal.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/tav3.jpghttps://dcmontreal.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/tav2.jpg

the guy in the third photo looks a bit like my old man (who, fair to say, spent a gigantic amount of time in such watering holes).

Is that Lio lurking behind the counter, with the pickled eggs? :D

esquire
Apr 22, 2023, 5:42 PM
Ironically, you see ads for labatt blue in the Excited States.

edit: whoops, loco101 beat me too it.

I also Labatt promoted in New York City and San Francisco. So bizarre.

I know that Blue is far from the finest of beers, but if you are going to sling horse piss, at least let it be Canadian-branded horse piss.

Didn't Labatt license Blue to some US brewer, who took it and ran with it?

Maybe in 20 years time it will come back to Canada as a "foreign brand", kind of like Carling Black Label? :haha:

savevp
Apr 22, 2023, 5:46 PM
Labatt in the US is owned by an American company (different than the probably - American multinational who own Labatt here).

For what it's worth, the corporate overlords of Labatt and Budweiser seem to be pushing for Bud uniformity in the UK as well, as per a recent visit. Lots and lots of Budweiser advertising and finding it on draught at all the football grounds and big pubs.

I guess it's cheaper to brew and market American piss beer abroad than relatively higher quality Labatt beer that has some actual flavour.

Nashe
Apr 22, 2023, 7:12 PM
https://dcmontreal.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/tav2.jpg
"... why no... I'm NOT from around these parts. Why?"

kwoldtimer
Apr 22, 2023, 7:24 PM
This is mainly why I enjoy macrobrews. I find a lot of microbrews very heavy or excessively strong... they often tend to be enthusiast-oriented. Give me a Blue or a Bud any day.

I never understood why, but Blue always gave me a headache, while 50 never did.:shrug:

Djeffery
Apr 22, 2023, 8:08 PM
Labatt in the US is owned by an American company (different than the probably - American multinational who own Labatt here).

For what it's worth, the corporate overlords of Labatt and Budweiser seem to be pushing for Bud uniformity in the UK as well, as per a recent visit. Lots and lots of Budweiser advertising and finding it on draught at all the football grounds and big pubs.

I guess it's cheaper to brew and market American piss beer abroad than relatively higher quality Labatt beer that has some actual flavour.

It's all owned by the same Belgian-Brazilian conglomerate. Interbrew of Belgium bought Labatts almost 30 years ago. They later merged with Ambev of Brazil to form Inbev. They acquired Anheuser-Busch (makers of Budweiser among many others) and formed AB-Inbev, which is the current parent company.

Loco101
Apr 23, 2023, 2:38 AM
Didn't Labatt license Blue to some US brewer, who took it and ran with it?

Maybe in 20 years time it will come back to Canada as a "foreign brand", kind of like Carling Black Label? :haha:

All of the Labatt Blue and Blue Light that I've seen in the U.S. has "Imported from Canada" on the packaging.

As far as I know Black Label beer is still made by MolsonCoors. This TV commercial from the early 1990s comes to mind when I think of that beer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmuaUND89nU

manny_santos
Apr 23, 2023, 7:17 PM
Sure. Might as well call it 'Canada phenomenon'.

It's called: Large international brewer doesn't care to waste money promoting small regional brand when locals will just eat (er, drink) up mega-brand from other country.

Why waste a nickel keeping Blue alive, when people will happily buy Budweiser in Canada? :shrug:

From what I remember in Ontario, Labatt products are still heavily promoted at The Beer Store.

A marketing strategy doesn’t have to involve traditional or online advertising; since Labatt partially owns The Beer Store and it still has a significant market share for B2C beer sales in Canada’s most populous province, just offering Blue at The Beer Store is probably all they need to do. Less need to spend money on advertising if it sells well anyways.

The company I work for does not advertise at all. But there are still other ways to get customers.

Eggo waffles wasn’t advertised by Kellogg’s for quite a few years, but they still sold well.

esquire
Apr 23, 2023, 7:48 PM
From what I remember in Ontario, Labatt products are still heavily promoted at The Beer Store.

A marketing strategy doesn’t have to involve traditional or online advertising; since Labatt partially owns The Beer Store and it still has a significant market share for B2C beer sales in Canada’s most populous province, just offering Blue at The Beer Store is probably all they need to do. Less need to spend money on advertising if it sells well anyways.

I can generally get a good read on what sells at Manitoba Liquor Marts by the amount of shelf space allocated to it. Without a doubt, Bud, Bud Light, Coors Light, etc. are the big beer sellers. There is loads of shelf space with all kinds of packaging permutations like 6s, 12s, 15s, 24s, cans, bottles, etc. Blue used to be right up there as a major seller. Now it is down to 12 packs, cans only. There is no way they sell as much volume of Blue as they used to.

Labatt still offers it, but by no means would I consider it a big seller... as compared to 30 years ago when it was pretty much ubiquitous. At least around here.

acottawa
Apr 23, 2023, 7:52 PM
Blue is still number 5 apparently.

https://www.beer100.com/best-selling-beers-canada/

esquire
Apr 23, 2023, 7:57 PM
Blue is still number 5 apparently.

https://www.beer100.com/best-selling-beers-canada/

I wonder where he sourced that from? I couldn't find any mention. It seems hard to believe.

If Labatt Blue actually is still a big seller, like top 10, it has to be due to Ontario or some other eastern provinces. It is nowhere near that level here. Which is too bad, because I enjoy it!

manny_santos
Apr 23, 2023, 8:54 PM
I wonder where he sourced that from? I couldn't find any mention. It seems hard to believe.

If Labatt Blue actually is still a big seller, like top 10, it has to be due to Ontario or some other eastern provinces. It is nowhere near that level here. Which is too bad, because I enjoy it!

Almost definitely. Blue is almost nonexistent in BC from my observations.

esquire
Apr 23, 2023, 9:11 PM

It's probably a bigger seller in small town beer vendors here than it is in urban liquor marts or restaurants, e.g. if I was a truck driver in Arborg I'd probably come across it a lot more often than I do in suburban Winnipeg.

But even then I find it hard to believe that it gets consumed at a high enough volume in rural areas to propel it to the top 10.

Proof Sheet
Apr 23, 2023, 10:04 PM

I had a 50 yesterday here. Quite the step back in time.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x4cce04f4b35f65e3%3A0x4decd39bc10ed4f2!3m1!7e115!4s%2Fmaps%2Fplace%2Ftaverne%2B57%2Bhull%2F%4045.4290164%2C-75.7182512%2C3a%2C75y%2C1.17h%2C90t%2Fdata%3D*213m4*211e1*213m2*211sD8oUNKr9El4jNqQEyG2LWA*212e0*214m2*213m1*211s0x4cce04f4b35f65e3%3A0x4decd39bc10ed4f2%3Fsa%3DX!5staverne%2057%20hull%20-%20Google%20Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e2!2sD8oUNKr9El4jNqQEyG2LWA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjloc-PgcH-AhXBjYkEHY1rA0cQpx96BAhQEA0

Proof Sheet
Apr 23, 2023, 10:05 PM
I had a 50 yesterday here. Quite the step back in time.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x4cce04f4b35f65e3%3A0x4decd39bc10ed4f2!3m1!7e115!4s%2Fmaps%2Fplace%2Ftaverne%2B57%2Bhull%2F%4045.4290164%2C-75.7182512%2C3a%2C75y%2C1.17h%2C90t%2Fdata%3D*213m4*211e1*213m2*211sD8oUNKr9El4jNqQEyG2LWA*212e0*214m2*213m1*211s0x4cce04f4b35f65e3%3A0x4decd39bc10ed4f2%3Fsa%3DX!5staverne%2057%20hull%20-%20Google%20Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e2!2sD8oUNKr9El4jNqQEyG2LWA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjloc-PgcH-AhXBjYkEHY1rA0cQpx96BAhQEA0

No draught beer available (bartender said too much beer was wasted?), but quart bottles available. I think Lio would approve of the ambience.

acottawa
Apr 23, 2023, 10:17 PM

I have always assumed Kokanee and Blue were the same thing.

Djeffery
Apr 24, 2023, 1:01 AM
I remember back a bit over 10 years ago when Labatts renewed their arena naming rights deal in London that they said Budweiser was by far their largest seller, which was their reasoning for renaming the John Labatt Centre to Budweiser Gardens.

le calmar
Apr 24, 2023, 1:26 AM
No draught beer available (bartender said too much beer was wasted?), but quart bottles available. I think Lio would approve of the ambience.

Harls’ old watering hole back when he lived in Vieux-Hull?

SpongeG
Apr 24, 2023, 7:01 AM
when I was living in Ontario I used to drink Black Label, it was the artsy peoples beer.

I don't remember it much in BC at that time.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c4/2d/1a/c42d1a7a647995d8a0f795048893a37e.jpg

Airboy
Apr 24, 2023, 3:41 PM
when I was living in Ontario I used to drink Black Label, it was the artsy peoples beer.

I don't remember it much in BC at that time.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c4/2d/1a/c42d1a7a647995d8a0f795048893a37e.jpg

I remember it back in the 60s in Alberta.

SpongeG
Apr 25, 2023, 12:56 AM
The Bed Bath & Beyond stores here, in this part of BC, are all closed now, the US stores have just started closing stores now after filing for bankruptcy (https://globalnews.ca/news/9645246/bed-bath-and-beyond-bankruptcy-filing/).

SpongeG
May 3, 2023, 6:57 AM
Canadian Tire to acquire 10 Bed Bath & Beyond leases for $1.6 million

The Canadian Press
Published Tuesday, May 2, 2023 5:31PM EDT

TORONTO - Canadian Tire Corp. Ltd. says it's acquiring 10 former Bed Bath & Beyond leases to expand its Mark's and Pro Hockey Life banners.

The Toronto-based retailer says it's taking on the leases for a final purchase price of $1.6 million.

Six of the leases will be for relocations of clothing in Alberta, British Columbia and Ontario, while the other four will be new Pro Hockey Life stores in Ontario.

Canadian Tire says the 10 leases combined make up more than 242,000 square feet of retail space.

https://www.cp24.com/news/canadian-tire-to-acquire-10-bed-bath-beyond-leases-for-1-6-million-1.6380833

Taeolas
May 3, 2023, 2:19 PM
Looks like the same group behind salvaging HMV, ToysRUs and David's Tea are looking at the Bed Bath and Beyond locations.

New Canadian retail chain set to launch from ashes of former Bed Bath & Beyond locations (https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rooms-spaces-bed-bath-beyond-1.6830500)

Putman, who has made similar moves when HMV, Toys 'R' Us and DavidsTea went insolvent, plans to open the home store brand in 21 former locations of Bed Bath & Beyond and buybuy BABY storefronts later this summer.

The article lists the locations for the first 21 Rooms + Spaces stores. Mostly in Ontario of course, with most of the rest in Alberta and BC. Only 1 east of Ontario, in St John's.

Here in New Brunswick, I think that just leaves the Fredericton store still up in the air. We aren't on the Canadian Tire list nor the Rooms + list. The Moncton location is apparently rented out and being renovated for another business, but there's no word yet on the Freddy spot. (We're still hopeful for Jysk I think, since Jysk is going into Saint John)

MonctonRad
May 3, 2023, 2:27 PM
:previous:

Rumour is that the Moncton BB&B is being renovated for a MEC store.

It is certainly encouraging that most of the BB&B locations are destined for reuse.

Nashe
May 3, 2023, 2:56 PM
Looks like the same group behind salvaging HMV, ToysRUs and David's Tea are looking at the Bed Bath and Beyond locations.

New Canadian retail chain set to launch from ashes of former Bed Bath & Beyond locations (https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rooms-spaces-bed-bath-beyond-1.6830500)

They should rebrand to "Tires, Toques, Torque Wrenches & Tout le Monde"...

madog222
May 3, 2023, 7:53 PM

rooms + spaces says it is “actively hiring” 500 associates and plans to create more positions in the future.

The retailer plans to support Canadian businesses and suppliers where possible and will carry brands such as oxo, Homedics, Cuisinart, Martex and more. The product line includes everyday goods from kitchen gadgets and towels to “unique items” like bed wedges, cherry pitters and charcuterie sets.

It will be led by Greg Dyer, formerly general manager of Bed Bath & Beyond Canada.
https://renx.ca/canadian-tire-rooms-space-lease-1m-sq-ft-vacant-retail

So just same same but different. :koko:

harls
May 3, 2023, 8:05 PM
Harls’ old watering hole back when he lived in Vieux-Hull?

Never been there, but I lived nearby. I probably would have liked it.

I have been to this (https://goo.gl/maps/mwHj4kQ8nC6u3crk7) place though..

MolsonExport
May 3, 2023, 9:37 PM
Legendary, from the 1980s
-6Tx-VvUZfE

their accents are horrible, but the delivery is hilarious
6Tx-VvUZfE

Aidez nous à écraser la compertition!!

MolsonExport
May 3, 2023, 9:48 PM
late 80s Quebecoise hotness

aaukxsctjSIyD-kdTcnY-M

she was labelled the Quebec/French Madonna, but Madonna is/was fugly next to Mitsou

I met her once at a McDonald's convention. :naughty:

urbandreamer
May 4, 2023, 3:35 AM
I went to Hudson's Bay this morning at Fairview Park Mall: felt like a government run LTC home - maybe a dozen seniors, mostly female, shopping for underwear and dresses to wear to their friend's funerals. However, because it's so dead I realized it could function as a showroom to try on clothes before purchasing them online. Winner's, by comparison, was busy with 30-50-something women, neatly organized rows of clothing. HBC isn't long for this world: maybe they'll relaunch Zellers as a Dollarama competitor, with a small area devoted to HBC's Stripes merchandise?

Loco101
May 4, 2023, 4:41 AM
late 80s Quebecoise hotness

aaukxsctjSIyD-kdTcnY-M

she was labelled the Quebec/French Madonna, but Madonna is/was fugly next to Mitsou

I met her once at a McDonald's convention. :naughty:

I've seen her in Timmins and always enjoyed her songs. Her music was often played at dances and parties here as she was pretty big with Franco-Ontarians. I totally forgot about her "East Asian face" haha.

esquire
May 4, 2023, 2:25 PM
I went to Hudson's Bay this morning at Fairview Park Mall: felt like a government run LTC home - maybe a dozen seniors, mostly female, shopping for underwear and dresses to wear to their friend's funerals. However, because it's so dead I realized it could function as a showroom to try on clothes before purchasing them online. Winner's, by comparison, was busy with 30-50-something women, neatly organized rows of clothing. HBC isn't long for this world: maybe they'll relaunch Zellers as a Dollarama competitor, with a small area devoted to HBC's Stripes merchandise?

At this point I wonder if HBC's best way forward isn't to just turn the whole thing into a chain of boutiques (like no more than maybe a dozen or so stores across Canada) focused on selling their own branded merchandise? Kind of an upscale Roots.

harls
May 4, 2023, 3:06 PM

You can get 50 anywhere here. It is ubiquitous.

Not sure about it being on tap at bars. My local watering hole doesn't have it. Instead I take Dos Equis because I am so interesting.

MonctonRad
May 4, 2023, 3:24 PM
:previous:

So, this is what you look like then...........

https://imgflip.com/s/meme/The-Most-Interesting-Man-In-The-World.jpg

:D

harls
May 4, 2023, 4:03 PM
Pretty close, Moncton :D

MolsonExport
May 4, 2023, 4:20 PM
I found a pic of Fill McAntivaxx
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4058/4253409261_7bba6ea488.jpg

:youmad:

harls
May 4, 2023, 4:22 PM
I think Matlin inspired that emoji.

MolsonExport
May 4, 2023, 4:27 PM
He reminds me of Doug Ford
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMzZiM2RjYWUtNmQ0ZC00NjliLWE5MzctNTgyYWVjYmExZWM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAyMzYwNzgw._V1_.jpg

Can I "help" you??

harls
May 4, 2023, 5:17 PM
I am amazed how Ford can grow hair out of his forehead.

urbandreamer
May 5, 2023, 1:01 AM
My dad thought he was so cool drinking Dos Equis in his eighties: he probably used to drink it in 1950s San Antonio.

If I could still drink, I'd be drinking a St Peter's ale to welcome in the new King.

casper
May 11, 2023, 5:37 AM
Not certain if it is best in the retail threat or the foreign affairs thread.

Canada's attempt at global domination is one step closer. Tim Horton's will be invading South Korea.

The invasion is being handled by the fast food royals (aka Burger King).

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/tim-hortons-signs-deal-to-start-opening-locations-in-south-korea-later-this-year-1.6392186

MonctonRad
May 11, 2023, 1:31 PM
Mountain Equipment Company (MEC) is going to take over the former BB&B in the Mapleton Centre in Moncton. It will be the 20th store in their chain.

Moncton is certainly becoming a shoppers paradise for those people interested in an outdoors active lifestyle. Our selection of store includes (will include):

- Bass Pro Shop
- Mountain Equipment Company
- LL Bean
- Ocean Trail Source for Adventure
- The Trail Shop/Take It Outside
- Eddie Bauer

A pretty amazing selection for a CMA of only about 180,000

Also of note is how quickly BB&B locations across Canada are being gobbled up by new retailers. This is very gratifying to see.............

GreatTallNorth2
May 11, 2023, 1:43 PM
Not certain if it is best in the retail threat or the foreign affairs thread.

Canada's attempt at global domination is one step closer. Tim Horton's will be invading South Korea.

The invasion is being handled by the fast food royals (aka Burger King).

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/tim-hortons-signs-deal-to-start-opening-locations-in-south-korea-later-this-year-1.6392186

South Korea has a culture of high end, espresso based cafes. I am not sure how Tim Hortons fits into that environment, but then again I do not know how they can operate in the UK, Spain, and the middle east as their product is so bland and there are so many better coffee and food options out there in these countries.

casper
May 11, 2023, 1:57 PM
South Korea has a culture of high end, espresso based cafes. I am not sure how Tim Hortons fits into that environment, but then again I do not know how they can operate in the UK, Spain, and the middle east as their product is so bland and there are so many better coffee and food options out there in these countries.

Same way as McCafe (aka McDonalds) is successful in Europe. It is cheap, it has caffeine and sugar. Toss in a good marketing department. They are all set.

Denscity
May 11, 2023, 1:59 PM
Maybe it's the fast food donuts that Tim's has no competition with that works? Wouldn't be the coffee.

kwoldtimer
May 11, 2023, 3:20 PM
Maybe it's the fast food donuts that Tim's has no competition with that works? Wouldn't be the coffee.

Timmies serves espresso based coffee, along with drip, in the UK and I assume everywhere else.

urbandreamer
May 11, 2023, 4:34 PM
I'd like to see Thai-style coffee in Toronto etc. Blueberries in your latte? I'm currently sipping on a THs decaf instant coffee latte with a wee bit of molasses.

svlt
May 12, 2023, 4:13 AM
Many things that are foreign are successful simply because of the uniqueness and not the quality. There are probably enough Koreans interested in Canadiana for this to work.

theman23
May 12, 2023, 4:26 AM
The overseas Tim Hortons I’ve gone to tend be to higher quality while maintaining the value proposition. And honestly, Tim Hortons in Canada isn’t so bad either compared to its competition (McDonalds).

SpongeG
May 12, 2023, 7:13 AM
Korea has Dunkin Donuts which is said to be pretty fancy compared to its US stores. Baskin Robbins is also very popular in Korea. I'm going to Korea in the fall I wonder if I can check Tims out by then.

caltrane74
May 12, 2023, 2:09 PM
My buddy is getting hyped up for the T&T opening up in Fairview Mall and the little Asian foodcourt they have already opened parts of it.

Should be interesting

https://media.blogto.com/uploads/2023/04/19/1681927721-20230417-FairviewMall-41.jpg?w=1400&cmd=resize&height=2500&quality=70

https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2023/04/fairview-mall-asian-food-toronto/