PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Retail Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81

ScreamingViking
Nov 8, 2019, 10:50 AM
People still go to movie theatres?

?

What kind of life do you have??? :shrug:
It's ok if one does not go, but for the rest... seriously?

Djeffery
Nov 8, 2019, 11:32 AM
The parking lots are always packed whenever I go by. And they are almost as comfortable as home now with the power reclining loungers. The current Landmark theatre is a retrofitted former Famous Players theatre so each room has a small capacity now with the lazy boys, I think 60-80 seats and only 8 rooms. The new theatre will be at least double the rooms and double the seats per room. I can't remember exactly where they were planning to go on the site, so maybe they are waiting for Costco to build the new store so the old one can be demolished.

TownGuy
Nov 8, 2019, 1:09 PM
Yeah movie theatres have really upped their game lately. In addition to the recliners my favourite thing is buying the tickets online. No waiting in line or having to get there early or any of that. Choose and pay for seats at home, get to the theatre a minute before the start time and head right to your preferred seat. Easy peasy.

niwell
Nov 8, 2019, 2:41 PM
I very rarely go to the movies, but I do appreciate actually being able to grab a beer while watching now. Seems to be allowed at pretty much every theatre in Toronto now, while previously it was VIP only.

WhipperSnapper
Nov 8, 2019, 2:58 PM
Go all the time. Prefer the atmosphere and There's just something about going out to see a movie than always in your man cave. One disadvantage is you can't pause to take a leak so I now hold off on the beer until after the flick. The advantage is we drink afterwards getting drunk and more passionate on our analysis.

I pitty those that watch a lot of movies but haven't been to a theatre since their youth.

kwoldtimer
Nov 8, 2019, 3:01 PM
I see in the news that Second Cup is doing a corporate rebranding. Sounds like they intend to expand beyond the cafe biz. It got me wondering - I honestly can't remember that last time I went to a Second Cup for coffee. It must be fifteen years or more.

WhipperSnapper
Nov 8, 2019, 3:04 PM
Yeah movie theatres have really upped their game lately. In addition to the recliners my favourite thing is buying the tickets online. No waiting in line or having to get there early or any of that. Choose and pay for seats at home, get to the theatre a minute before the start time and head right to your preferred seat. Easy peasy.

Feels like I've been buying online for years now. The seating has been fine since they replaced the horrid multiplexes from the late 70s and 1980s in the late 1990s. The last thing I want is a replicated man cave.

niwell
Nov 8, 2019, 3:09 PM
I live fairly close to the independent Revue Cinema on Roncessvalles and want to make an effort to go more often over this winter. They do play relatively new movies but also a lot of classics. We went a few times last winter but it died down with moving overseas and then warmer weather with other stuff to do. It's always a good time with some friends and then grab a few drinks afterwards nearby to discuss, as mentioned above. Also quite cheap, especially with a membership!

WhipperSnapper
Nov 8, 2019, 3:10 PM
I see in the news that Second Cup is doing a corporate rebranding. Sounds like they intend to expand beyond the cafe biz. It got me wondering - I honestly can't remember that last time I went to a Second Cup for coffee. It must be fifteen years or more.

The rebranding is probably a last gasp. They simply don't have enough locations to compete with other national chains.

WhipperSnapper
Nov 8, 2019, 3:21 PM
I live fairly close to the independent Revue Cinema on Roncessvalles and want to make an effort to go more often over this winter. They do play relatively new movies but also a lot of classics. We went a few times last winter but it died down with moving overseas and then warmer weather with other stuff to do. It's always a good time with some friends and then grab a few drinks afterwards nearby to discuss, as mentioned above. Also quite cheap, especially with a membership!

My theatre hosts a lot of silent movies and I've been fortunate enough to see a few of them. It's totally different than today's CGI blockbusters.

kwoldtimer
Nov 8, 2019, 3:50 PM
My theatre hosts a lot of silent movies and I've been fortunate enough to see a few of them. It's totally different than today's CGI blockbusters.

The most amazing film experience I've ever had was at Kitchener's Centre in the Square a few years ago, when the K-W Symphony and the Grand Philharmonic Choir provided live music for a showing of Dryer's "The Passion of Joan of Arc" (1928). It was an extraordinary experience.

WhipperSnapper
Nov 8, 2019, 5:47 PM
I'm sure it was. Always wanted to see something like that but, never got around to it.

JHikka
Nov 8, 2019, 8:34 PM
People still go to movie theatres?

:haha: :haha:

Yes, absolutely. I go a few times a month to both local theatres and to Cineplex. Crowds are still pretty good for theatres despite their negative publicity.

MonctonRad
Nov 8, 2019, 8:40 PM

Yes, absolutely. I go a few times a month to both local theatres and to Cineplex. Crowds are still pretty good for theatres despite their negative publicity.

It was a silly question wasn't it. :haha:

I would say I go to between 12-15 movies a year. We have two 8 theatre multiplexes in Moncton, with the one at CF Champlain is pretty new. The experience is pretty good, and some movies just have to be seen in the theatre, no matter how impressive your home set up is.

I mean, really, why would you want to cocoon yourself in your basement 100% of the time. Get out and experience some of the better movies with a few other members of the human species. It might do you some good. :)

esquire
Nov 8, 2019, 8:53 PM

I get the impression cinemas will never go away because they are so important socially for adolescents and young adults. That 12-30 range of customers will keep them going.

MonctonRad
Nov 8, 2019, 8:57 PM
The most amazing film experience I've ever had was at Kitchener's Centre in the Square a few years ago, when the K-W Symphony and the Grand Philharmonic Choir provided live music for a showing of Dryer's "The Passion of Joan of Arc" (1928). It was an extraordinary experience.

I went to see Peter Jackson's documentary on the First World War (They Shall Not Grow Old) at the theatre about a year ago, and it was a tremendous experience too. He did wonderful things to restore film footage from the era, and some of his research on the topic was incredible. I bought the DVD last month. I would highly recommend it.

zahav
Nov 8, 2019, 9:04 PM
I have a small one theatre cinema right down the street from me, and it's a Cineplex! So I get Scene points etc. and good screens, but it is a totally old school one-screen theatre about 3 mins walk away

Loco101
Nov 8, 2019, 10:33 PM
We have a big dirt pile along the 401 in London that should be hosting the grand opening of our IKEA store right about now. They announced the store 2 years ago, then put it on hold a year ago, and haven't said another word about it since. They said they were still proceeding with the land purchase and are committed to the market, but it's been 15 months since they made this announcement. Interesting that the rest of the development has stalled as well. Costco is still moving ahead with their new store to replace the current one on the site (originally a Price Club from the 80's), although it will be a year late or more when it finally gets built, but no word on the new movie theatres, Sail or other retailers planning to move in.

That must be one of the last Costco locations that was originally a Price Club? Many of those Price Club warehouses that opened in the 1980s and 1990s were located out of the way a bit. They tended to be away from other retailers on purpose. Most locations built as Costco have tended to be among other retail stores and businesses. At least from my observations.

I got a Costco membership right around the turn of the millennium when one opened in Sudbury and have renewed every year.

urbandreamer
Nov 10, 2019, 3:37 AM
What's a man cave?

SpongeG
Nov 10, 2019, 4:59 AM
this is a man cave

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/14578484/2019/01/mancavehealth.jpg

osirisboy
Nov 10, 2019, 5:58 AM
Urbandreamer is trolling all of you

Djeffery
Nov 10, 2019, 3:17 PM
That must be one of the last Costco locations that was originally a Price Club? Many of those Price Club warehouses that opened in the 1980s and 1990s were located out of the way a bit. They tended to be away from other retailers on purpose. Most locations built as Costco have tended to be among other retail stores and businesses. At least from my observations.

I got a Costco membership right around the turn of the millennium when one opened in Sudbury and have renewed every year.

Back when this one opened, it was literally across the road from the city limits. It has the 401 on one side of it, and the main drag that runs into downtown London on the front side of it was the city limit at the time. It did have some commercial area around it, like a Leon's, Superstore grocery store and Towers (which became a Zellers). Kind of out of the way for the city itself, but handy because of being right at the main exit from the 401.

The other Costco on the other end of town, which was built at the same time as Sam's Club was coming in (the 2 literally had a race to be open first, each offering the contractors a bonus if they beat the other store, which was awesome for the companies working on both lol) was a big piece of open land in the middle of a dense residential area on one side and commercial on the other. It was already a traffic headache before lol.

whatnext
Nov 10, 2019, 5:39 PM
I have a small one theatre cinema right down the street from me, and it's a Cineplex! So I get Scene points etc. and good screens, but it is a totally old school one-screen theatre about 3 mins walk away

The Park, right? I'm sure Cineplex hates having to operate that! It must have been part of the deal when they bought Festival Cinemas from Leonard Schein.

zahav
Nov 11, 2019, 2:08 AM
Yes the Park indeed. I figured there must have been something in the buyout that dictated it had to stay, but I'm definitely not complaing :)

amiradnan
Nov 13, 2019, 10:36 AM
J. | Junaid Jamshed is a store brand from Pakistan, they opened a store in Missisauga last week

from their facebook page
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/12928208_1011775412249511_8660931980647313052_n.jpg?oh=0b4f34b4f8fb1d905028bede42fc8a1d&oe=57818C51

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/12932977_1011775462249506_7028572681372176352_n.jpg?oh=3bc65538012f94d4c9fd6692ea6e219c&oe=57BE9844

Thanks

SpongeG
Nov 15, 2019, 4:31 AM
Eataly is now open in Toronto

IlYa3IGv9EI

a longer thourough tour
fYfkXZwPblo

Djeffery
Nov 15, 2019, 11:36 AM
Unfortunate timing of that scroll under the headline in that first picture lol

kwoldtimer
Nov 15, 2019, 1:35 PM
It will be interesting to revisit how they're doing a year from now. :tup:

WhipperSnapper
Nov 15, 2019, 3:13 PM
I think they will do fine considering Metro, Loblaws, Sobeys can be pricey for average groceries and exorbitant for specialty groceries.

le calmar
Nov 20, 2019, 1:33 PM
Lowes to close 34 stores in Canada, including 26 RONA.

https://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/lowes-is-closing-34-underperforming-stores-in-canada/amp

stefanYEG
Nov 20, 2019, 3:16 PM
^Damn, the convenient little Rona by my place was hit. I've used that store A LOT in the last 3ish years.

SHOFEAR
Nov 20, 2019, 3:30 PM
I don't understand Rona. We were doing bathroom Reno's last year and our contractor got contractor pricing through Rona so we were encouraged to shop there. The selection sucked. It was like cheap builder quality everything.

Making the transition about a year ago from a crammed shoebox in the sky to an amazing attached two story house built in 1979 I've spent a shit ton at home stores. Tools, lumber, yard stuff, it has all added up. I've probably spent $60,000 in brick and mortar stores.

Probably less than $1,000 at Rona, maybe $5,000 at Canadian tire, a few hundred at Lowes, maybe $1,000 at Windsor, and all the rest at Home Depot.

That's not including the online specialty stuff.

Maybe Rona is the go to for contractors, but for the homeowner...its useless.

Also of note is that the locations to be closed don't include Edmonton's Whitemud/Calgary Trail location. You could fire a cannon down the isles most days and not hit a shopper. If that didn't make the cut for closing...wow.

esquire
Nov 20, 2019, 3:41 PM
^ You notice that much of a difference? To me Rona/Home Depot were always kind of like 6 of one, half dozen of the other. If there is some kind of Air Miles promo I'll go to Rona, otherwise I just sort of defaulted to Home Depot.

MacLac
Nov 20, 2019, 3:42 PM
I don't understand Rona. We were doing bathroom Reno's last year and our contractor got contractor pricing through Rona so we were encouraged to shop there. The selection sucked. It was like cheap builder quality everything.

Making the transition about a year ago from a crammed shoebox in the sky to an amazing attached two story house built in 1979 I've spent a shit ton at home stores. Tools, lumber, yard stuff, it has all added up. I've probably spent $60,000 in brick and mortar stores.

Probably less than $1,000 at Rona, maybe $5,000 at Canadian tire, a few hundred at Lowes, maybe $1,000 at Windsor, and all the rest at Home Depot.

That's not including the online specialty stuff.

Maybe Rona is the go to for contractors, but for the homeowner...its useless.

Also of note is that the locations to be closed don't include Edmonton's Whitemud/Calgary Trail location. You could fire a cannon down the isles most days and not hit a shopper. If that didn't make the cut for closing...wow.

That particular location - dirty aisles, pallets of material that should be on shelves left in the aisles, packed Saturday, only 1 till open, pricing didn't match the shelf.....left without paying - 8 years ago....never been back since.

le calmar
Nov 20, 2019, 3:46 PM
This is the second round of store closures in one year as Lowes closed over 30 stores last year (again, Rona for the most part). Some uncompetitive stores remain open and I expect to see more closures in the future.

I went to a Rona in Carleton Place two months ago (one of those very large boxes, seems overkill in a small suburban town) and the aisles were completely deserted. I don't go often enough to say if this happens regularly, but the situation sure didn't look good.

GreaterMontréal
Nov 20, 2019, 4:37 PM
Rona is getting eaten alive in Quebec by the other big players. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rona getting ousted in the province.

p_xavier
Nov 20, 2019, 4:41 PM
Rona is getting eaten alive in Quebec by the other big players. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rona getting ousted in the province.

It's a given, the newer adminstration don't get the local market at all. They are managing all stores with the same cheap products as the US. Rona used to carry items for the specific needs of their store's region.

WhipperSnapper
Nov 20, 2019, 5:01 PM
I don't care for any of the box stores. However, Home Depot has always had the best deals and Rona had the one off specialty items. Lowes is too expensive. That would be unfortunate about Rona.

wave46
Nov 20, 2019, 5:07 PM
It's a given, the newer adminstration don't get the local market at all. They are managing all stores with the same cheap products as the US. Rona used to carry items for the specific needs of their store's region.

The trick is that a US retailer buys a Canadian one and then proceeds to run it into the ground. They then substitute in their parent brand from the US.

See: Futureshop/Best Buy

Airboy
Nov 20, 2019, 5:16 PM
We loose our Rona (Beaver Lumber/Totem) but there is a big box Lowes only about 700 meters away. I was surprised this stayed open for the last few years after the big box opened.

There is a HD right next door and it held its own until the Lowes opened.

MacLac
Nov 20, 2019, 5:18 PM
The trick is that a US retailer buys a Canadian one and then proceeds to run it into the ground. They then substitute in their parent brand from the US.

See: Futureshop/Best Buy

Rightly so.....hoping one day an American retailer will do that to Canadian Tire....run it into the ground....abolish it and it's crappy Chinese wares and substitute it with a quality retailer....not sure what the US version of it is though?

SHOFEAR
Nov 20, 2019, 5:21 PM
^ You notice that much of a difference? To me Rona/Home Depot were always kind of like 6 of one, half dozen of the other. If there is some kind of Air Miles promo I'll go to Rona, otherwise I just sort of defaulted to Home Depot.

Smaller Stores, less selection. my 2c.

SHOFEAR
Nov 20, 2019, 5:42 PM
Rightly so.....hoping one day an American retailer will do that to Canadian Tire....run it into the ground....abolish it and it's crappy Chinese wares and substitute it with a quality retailer....not sure what the US version of it is though?

Canadian Tire gets a shitty rap.

You get what you pay for. I wouldn't buy mastercraft/maximum tools like a table or mitre saw and expect them to last.

But, I am extremely please with my Maximum mechanics tool chest I bought (the kind on wheels that's like 5 feet tall and six feet long with a dozen or so slide out drawers). I looked for weeks to try to find something other than a Canadian tire brand...I was really hesitant for obvious reasons.

There a gems to be found.

But at the same time, I have been burnt by mastercraft/maximum stuff that I thought would be suitable for the odd use. I bought an accessory kit for my air compressor that is fucking garbage.

Acajack
Nov 20, 2019, 6:02 PM

There is no U.S. version of Canadian Tire. Or at least no large store that offers an equivalently reasonable assurance that they'll likely have "pretty much anything you can think of". I have heard both Americans and other foreigners marvel at this aspect of Canadian Tire on a few occasions.

Don't get me wrong - I am not really a Canadian Tire booster. Their service is absolutely horrible and trying to find someone to help you in the aisles is like searching for snow in the desert sun.

WarrenC12
Nov 20, 2019, 6:04 PM
There is no U.S. version of Canadian Tire. Or at least no large store that offers an equivalently reasonable assurance that they'll likely have "pretty much anything you can think of". I have heard both Americans and other foreigners marvel at this aspect of Canadian Tire on a few occasions.

Don't get me wrong - I am not really a Canadian Tire booster. Their service is absolutely horrible and trying to find someone to help you in the aisles is like searching for snow in the desert sun.

Walmart maybe?

Canadian Tire does get a bad rap. They have decent stores here and good deals for what you're getting.

Acajack
Nov 20, 2019, 6:07 PM
Walmart maybe?

I still think Canadian Tire offers a wider and more complete selection of stuff, obviously taking food out of the equation.

WhipperSnapper
Nov 20, 2019, 6:17 PM
True Value is similar to Canadian Tire.

WarrenC12
Nov 20, 2019, 6:22 PM
I still think Canadian Tire offers a wider and more complete selection of stuff, obviously taking food out of the equation.

Well, some walmarts I've been in (smaller US towns in the south) have quite the selection of things. Just off the top of my head that's what I thought of.

Acajack
Nov 20, 2019, 6:29 PM
True Value is similar to Canadian Tire.

When I think of True Value I think of smaller sized stores. At least a lot smaller than your average contemporary Canadian Tire.

esquire
Nov 20, 2019, 7:04 PM
I like Canadian Tire in the sense that they have a really wide range of things... I just wish that the stuff they sold wasn't the worst and most basic model of everything. Basically Dollarama calibre quality, just for more expensive items.

Contrast with Costco which stocks high quality stuff. Even if it's cheaper than the high end models in whatever category of merchandise, you know it's still going to be good.

Pinus
Nov 20, 2019, 7:50 PM

Fuck off. Typical Alberta mindset. Not all of us want to wrap ourselves in the American flag and hum the Yankee anthem on a daily basis.

dtown
Nov 20, 2019, 8:16 PM
Canadian Tire seems to be the retail version of Tim Hortons.....Nobody ever has a good word to say about it yet it continues to usually seem to be busy and run as a healthy company with strong financials with no signs of going anywhere despite all the negativity.

le calmar
Nov 20, 2019, 8:19 PM
I think CT has plenty of average/quality stuff. I would just stay away from their Mastercraft products as they are not the best quality-wise. But yeah, service is generally bad there.

SpongeG
Nov 20, 2019, 8:26 PM
Rona was also told they can no longer use the Proudly Canadian signage/slogan

https://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/rona-told-it-can-no-longer-say-its-stores-are-proudly-canadian

Pinus
Nov 20, 2019, 8:27 PM
Rona was also told they can no longer use the Proudly Canadian signage/slogan

https://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/rona-told-it-can-no-longer-say-its-stores-are-proudly-canadian

Yet I'll bet they have permission to fly the Yankee flag tall and proud :rolleyes:

WarrenC12
Nov 20, 2019, 8:48 PM
Canadian Tire seems to be the retail version of Tim Hortons.....Nobody ever has a good word to say about it yet it continues to usually seem to be busy and run as a healthy company with strong financials with no signs of going anywhere despite all the negativity.

You should probably check the latest Tim Hortons financial releases. They are suffering badly.

esquire
Nov 20, 2019, 8:55 PM
You should probably check the latest Tim Hortons financial releases. They are suffering badly.

I guess that means more innovative menu items to look forward to in the upcoming months. Maybe such delights like:

goulash
sushi
mashed potatoes
chicken wings
PB&J sandwiches
frosted kit kat bars
churros

SpongeG
Nov 20, 2019, 8:56 PM
I wonder if that's happening since they were bought out or if they just keep adding too much crap to their menu. A lot of people have switched to McCafe as they no longer feel obliged to support the once Canadian Tim Hortons.

WarrenC12
Nov 20, 2019, 9:02 PM
I wonder if that's happening since they were bought out or if they just keep adding too much crap to their menu. A lot of people have switched to McCafe as they no longer feel obliged to support the once Canadian Tim Hortons.

Yes we are starting to see the impact of that buyout work it's way through the system IMO. Stores are dirty, staff is terrible. That's on the franchisees, but TH can manage that better. The menu is cost cutting gone insane, and it's total crap now.

McDonald's shows you can still do fast food properly, for all the shit they take. They know the market, and make quick reversals and menu changes when things don't work.

esquire
Nov 20, 2019, 9:04 PM
Yes we are starting to see the impact of that buyout work it's way through the system IMO. Stores are dirty, staff is terrible. That's on the franchisees, but TH can manage that better. The menu is cost cutting gone insane, and it's total crap now.

McDonald's shows you can still do fast food properly, for all the shit they take. They know the market, and make quick reversals and menu changes when things don't work.

Sometime in the 70s, McDonalds figured out what worked in terms of their menu and they haven't really wavered from it. Tim Horton's, meanwhile, is just swerving all over the place now. The Beyond Meat burger was the classic example of that... I can't imagine they sold very many of those.

WarrenC12
Nov 20, 2019, 9:06 PM
Sometime in the 70s, McDonalds figured out what worked and they haven't really wavered from it. Tim Horton's, meanwhile, is just swerving all over the place now. The Beyond Meat burger was the classic example of that... I can't imagine they sold very many of those.

But McDonald's does try stuff. Pizza anyone? They go big on it, but are ok changing course if it doesn't work. They are eating TH's lunch with their coffee and related products now.

Beyond Meat (which McD's is now experimenting with) was a half-hearted attempt from TH destined to fail. They looked at A&W and said "we can do that". No, you fucking can't.

Nathan
Nov 20, 2019, 9:09 PM

That and the recent labour scuffle and franchisee clashes have further contributed to the idea that it now a piece of an international conglomerate and no longer the local Canadian coffee shop. If I remember correctly, Tim's has plummeted in recent brand surveys too.

esquire
Nov 20, 2019, 9:10 PM
But McDonald's does try stuff. Pizza anyone? They go big on it, but are ok changing course if it doesn't work.

Yes they've tried adding new stuff, but they have not really wavered when it comes to the core of their menu. If I go to Mc'D's, I still order the same Big Mac combo I ordered 25 years ago. By contrast, I'm not sure any of the stuff I used to get at Tim's 15 years ago is even on the menu anymore, except for coffee and bagels.

rbt
Nov 20, 2019, 9:28 PM
That and the recent labour scuffle and franchisee clashes have further contributed to the idea that it now a piece of an international conglomerate and no longer the local Canadian coffee shop. If I remember correctly, Tim's has plummeted in recent brand surveys too.

I'm not sure how Tim's survived as "local Canadian coffee shop" while owned by Wendy's. Kudo's to the Wendy's marketing team I guess; who in many locations managed to have both menu's/kitchens under the same roof with a single owner and set of staff.

WhipperSnapper
Nov 20, 2019, 11:32 PM
When I think of True Value I think of smaller sized stores. At least a lot smaller than your average contemporary Canadian Tire.

That's true. I think of the Canadian Tire from my youth which was a home hardware with automotive.

WhipperSnapper
Nov 20, 2019, 11:45 PM
Yes they've tried adding new stuff, but they have not really wavered when it comes to the core of their menu. If I go to Mc'D's, I still order the same Big Mac combo I ordered 25 years ago. By contrast, I'm not sure any of the stuff I used to get at Tim's 15 years ago is even on the menu anymore, except for coffee and bagels.

They certainly have tried to improve and/or replace the core menu over the years. It just hasn't worked out. The new stuff that would replace the old stuff sold poorly.

Nathan
Nov 21, 2019, 12:01 AM
I'm not sure how Tim's survived as "local Canadian coffee shop" while owned by Wendy's. Kudo's to the Wendy's marketing team I guess; who in many locations managed to have both menu's/kitchens under the same roof with a single owner and set of staff.

Hah! Very true. In the moment, I totally forgot about the Wendy's years. They definitely did a good job of keeping the brand strong.

esquire
Nov 21, 2019, 2:26 AM
They certainly have tried to improve and/or replace the core menu over the years. It just hasn't worked out. The new stuff that would replace the old stuff sold poorly.

They never got away from that core menu, though. Tim's by contrast has nearly abandoned donuts, and sandwiches and soups are a mess.

SpongeG
Nov 28, 2019, 5:01 AM
Catalyst Capital Group makes rival takeover offer for Hudson's Bay Co

Catalyst already holds a roughly 17.5 per cent stake in HBC
The Canadian Press · Posted: Nov 27, 2019

Catalyst Capital Group Inc. is making a rival takeover offer for Hudson's Bay Co.

The investment firm is offering $11 per share in cash, topping an offer of $10.30 made by a group of investors led by HBC executive chairman Richard Baker.

HBC shares were up $1.04, or 11.78 per cent, at $10.03 in early trading on the Toronto Stock Exchange on Wednesday.

Catalyst already holds a roughly 17.5 per cent stake in HBC and has said it plans to vote against the offer by the group led by Baker.

Gabriel de Alba, managing director and partner of Catalyst, says the firm's offer is independently financed, superior in both value and treatment of shareholders and can be completed in a timely manner.

"Catalyst is committed to taking the necessary steps to ensure that its superior offer is evaluated on its merits and that the board is able to liberate itself from the coercive influence of Richard Baker and act for us all," de Alba said in a statement.

"We are prepared to participate in an open, fair and competitive auction process."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/hudsons-bay-catalyst-1.5374964

SpongeG
Nov 28, 2019, 5:06 AM
They never got away from that core menu, though. Tim's by contrast has nearly abandoned donuts, and sandwiches and soups are a mess.

do they still have salads? I tried one once, it was awful, they really screwed up a caesar salad lol.

WhipperSnapper
Nov 28, 2019, 4:08 PM

Like I said, they tried but, it didn't work out. The Arch Deluxe menu would have been expanded to replace the core menu if it sold well. No one is going to follow New Coke's route ... replace a venerable product that's losing market share without seeing if customers even like it.

Tims just never established a core menu once they decided to shift away from donut shop to coffee shop experimenting with every contemporary trend.

JHikka
Nov 28, 2019, 4:17 PM

Nearly abandoned? They're still physically front and centre in all Tim's locations, just not so on the actual menu board (because it's not really required).

esquire
Nov 28, 2019, 4:24 PM
Nearly abandoned? They're still physically front and centre in all Tim's locations, just not so on the actual menu board (because it's not really required).

I don't know what the displays are like near you, but the ones where I am have basically surrendered the donut space to other baked goods like muffins, croissants, scones, bagels, cookies, etc. or even just empty shelf space to the point where there isn't much left when it comes to donuts.

I get the impression that they don't sell a lot of donuts anymore, at least nowhere near the kind of business they once did.

niwell
Nov 28, 2019, 4:40 PM
I think it probably depends by location - the ones near my work seem to sell a lot of donuts, but that's likely because people buy them for meetings and such. Timbits especially. That's literally the only reason I've had anything from Tim's over the past years.

Most of the new menu items they've come up with seem incredibly confused.

WhipperSnapper
Nov 28, 2019, 5:07 PM
They certainly aren't the highlight of the display anymore. Donuts are a small percentage of their total revenues. Chains like Coffee Time that didn't upgrade from a traditional Donut Shop got decimated. Tims moves, by comparison, were more successful.

SpongeG
Nov 28, 2019, 9:03 PM
has the Tim Hortons high end concept in Toronto been doing well?

WhipperSnapper
Nov 28, 2019, 10:18 PM
I never went but, I did have some of their Timbits. They were good. They still don't compete in value or quality with bake shops in Toronto.

kwoldtimer
Dec 15, 2019, 2:53 PM
Canadian baggage retailer Bentley announced this week that they'll be closing 88 of their 250+ stores as part of a plan to come out of creditor protection.

casper
Dec 16, 2019, 7:22 AM
Canadian baggage retailer Bentley announced this week that they'll be closing 88 of their 250+ stores as part of a plan to come out of creditor protection.

This is a disaster for dead malls everywhere. Bentley was the retailer that had this magical ability to service in the most extreme retail environments.

Taeolas
Dec 16, 2019, 11:45 AM
Well, our main cinema chain is no longer Canadian (was it ever?)

Cineworld To Acquire Canada’s Cineplex In $2.1B Deal, Making Regal North America’s Largest Exhibition Circuit (https://deadline.com/2019/12/cineworld-acquires-cineplex-canada-regal-largest-north-american-exhibition-circuit-1202809965/)

In the Maritimes, or at least in NB, our cinemas have been languishing forgotten since Empire was bought out. (Moncton's Crystal Palace just got their renovations started when the buy out happened). We've been hoping/expecting to finally get some attention soon; but with this buyout happening, I suspect we'll be even more forgotten now.

CBC Article on the deal (https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cineplex-cineworld-movie-deal-1.5397425)

While the chain is UK based, they own the US based Regal Cinemas, and apparently the first priority is to combine Regal and Cineplex.

Of note:

"Our immediate post-acquisition objectives will be to combine Cineplex with our U.S. business," Chairman Anthony Bloom said.

Guess this will be Good-bye Scene. Wonder how Cora Foods will think of that? Maybe they'll buy out Scene and use it as the points cards for their restaurants instead?

goodgrowth
Dec 16, 2019, 3:34 PM

Cineworld To Acquire Canada’s Cineplex In $2.1B Deal, Making Regal North America’s Largest Exhibition Circuit (https://deadline.com/2019/12/cineworld-acquires-cineplex-canada-regal-largest-north-american-exhibition-circuit-1202809965/)

In the Maritimes, or at least in NB, our cinemas have been languishing forgotten since Empire was bought out. (Moncton's Crystal Palace just got their renovations started when the buy out happened). We've been hoping/expecting to finally get some attention soon; but with this buyout happening, I suspect we'll be even more forgotten now.

CBC Article on the deal (https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cineplex-cineworld-movie-deal-1.5397425)

While the chain is UK based, they own the US based Regal Cinemas, and apparently the first priority is to combine Regal and Cineplex.

Of note:

Guess this will be Good-bye Scene. Wonder how Cora Foods will think of that? Maybe they'll buy out Scene and use it as the points cards for their restaurants instead?

Cineplex's name and branding is better than "Regal" imo...hope they keep it.

SpongeG
Dec 19, 2019, 5:23 AM
Fashion retailer COS opens largest Canadian store on Robson Street

by Janet Smith on December 17th, 2019

https://d2ciprw05cjhos.cloudfront.net/files/v3/styles/gs_large/public/images/19/12/cos_nso_robson_16122019cos_nso_robson_16122019_74a4144.jpg?itok=NRz8xkCy

Fashion followers can now access COS's full collection of womenswear, menswear, and kidswear for the first time, as the store opened its largest Canadian store yet on Robson Street today.

Spread out along two sleek, brightly lit floors at 1070 Robson Street, the outlet covers more than 500 square metres. Its first shop here was the smaller outpost that opened in Gastown at 18 Water Street in March of 2017.

https://www.straight.com/life/1338101/fashion-retailer-cos-opens-largest-canadian-store-robson-street

SpongeG
Jan 22, 2020, 8:50 PM
Apparel retailer Bench to shutter all Canadian stores

By Paige Ellis

Bench’s Canadian partner says it plans to close all of the clothing brand’s stores in this country, BNN Bloomberg has learned.

Freemark Apparel Brands Group, which has a “strategic partnership” with the streetwear brand, currently operates 24 Bench locations across Canada, according to Bench’s website.

“We are closing our bricks-and-mortar stores to focus more on our e-commerce business as well as our key wholesale customers,” wrote Lawrence Routtenberg, co-president of Freemark Apparel Brands, in an email to BNN Bloomberg Wednesday.

Routtenberg said further details, including when the stores will close and how many employees will be affected, have yet to be finalized.

Bench was founded in the United Kingdom in 1989 as a streetwear brand influenced by skateboarding culture.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/apparel-retailer-bench-to-shutter-all-canadian-stores-1.1377921?fbclid=IwAR228kLDG2aAlV7zn6zZSQqdWmfa9_p-x353rEaeBq75vgCySNT2iiixHcg

zahav
Jan 22, 2020, 8:56 PM
All Carlton Cards and Papyrus stores closing within weeks
Ryan Flanagan
CTVNews.ca
Published Wednesday, January 22, 2020 11:49AM EST
Last Updated Wednesday, January 22, 2020 2:19PM EST

There are 76 Carlton Cards and Papyrus stores in Canada, all of which are expected to close in the next four to six weeks.

TORONTO -- The owner of greeting card retailers including Carlton Cards and Papyrus is closing all of its stores in North America, including 76 Canadian locations.

Most of the closures will take place over the next four to six weeks, Schurman Retail Group CEO Dominique Schurman told CTVNews.ca in a statement.

Another 178 locations will close in the U.S., bringing the total to 254 stores employing approximately 1,400 people.

Schurman said the closures were a "difficult decision" necessitated by the company being unable to "realign our … stores to fit today's shopping environment."

'The closures will not affect the publishing of Carlton Cards or their sale in other stores. Those aspects of the business are handled by a separate company. The Carlton Cards and Papyrus online stores also remain open, although the Papyrus website has been modified to state that all sales are final.

Going-out-of-business sales are underway at physical stores in both Canada and the U.S. There are 59 Carlton Cards locations and 17 Papyrus outlets in Canada, encompassing all provinces except New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.

Anyone wishing to continue purchasing Carlton Cards can use the chain's online store locator to find other retailers that sell them.

Carlton Cards and Papyrus are the latest in a seemingly never-ending series of Canadian retail closures. This week alone, fair-trade retailer Ten Thousand Villages announced plans to shutter many of its stores and the owner of apparel store Bench's Canadian operations confirmed to BNN that all 24 locations will be closed. Things Engraved announced earlier this month that it plans to shut all of its stores.

The message that typically accompanies these closures is that even long-tenured chains are having trouble coping with the growth in online shopping, as consumers increasingly opt for convenience over familiar retail brands.

Craig Patterson, founder of industry website Retail Insider, said Wednesday in a telephone interview that he believes the recent announcements from Carlton Cards and others are just the "tip of the iceberg" in what he expects to be a dreadful year for Canadian retail.

"We've seen a real shift about consumer behaviour, and I don't think a lot of retailers have been addressing that," he said.

Patterson said he had recently walked into Carlton Cards and Papyrus stores in downtown Toronto for the first time in many years and found that they were virtually the same as his memories of them.

"A lot of these retailers really haven't changed their retail concepts in the last 10 or 20 years – but society, if you think about it, we've changed a lot," he said.

The Carlton Cards closures will leave Hallmark as the sole remaining dominant player in Canadian greeting card retail. It has 96 stores across the country.

According to market research firm IBISWorld, the Canadian greeting card and other publishing industry, which also includes such items as calendars and postcards, shrank by 4.4 per cent per year between 2014 and 2019.

"Operators in [this] industry have grappled with the advent of paperless substitutes, which have rendered some industry products obsolete," reads an IBISWorld report. The report singles out electronic cards as a growing alternative to the traditional paper offerings; IBISWorld estimates that online greeting card sales in the U.S. rose by 9.3 per cent over the last five years and hit US$714 million in 2019.

The closures will also deal another blow to mid-range shopping malls across Canada. Many chains once ubiquitous in malls outside big cities have gone under in recent years, and replacing them has been a struggle for landlords.

With dozens of additional empty spots about to open up, Patterson said many will likely not be filled.

"New concepts will come in here and there, but there will be vacancies," he said, suggesting that some malls could end up redeveloped or demolished.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/all-carlton-cards-and-papyrus-stores-closing-within-weeks-1.4778542

I don't want to be a dinosaur, but I feel bad seeing all of these chains go under. I am not opposed to Amazon or anything but I wish there was a place for both online and in person, it seems bricks and mortar is just really going fast now

SpongeG
Jan 22, 2020, 9:10 PM
There are a lot of online companies trying to open Brick N Mortar stores to replace though.

Wayfair, for instance, has opened a store and plans to open more.

Similar to Food Trucks, at least in Vancouver, they open a food truck a few years and then open a permanent location.

Djeffery
Jan 22, 2020, 11:23 PM
Similar to Food Trucks, at least in Vancouver, they open a food truck a few years and then open a permanent location.

One of the food trucks here in London, Shelby's, has spawned several storefronts in the last year. Been amazing to see their growth.

EspionNoir
Jan 23, 2020, 1:18 AM
It seems that these retailers are closing their stores because currently they can’t distinguish from online shopping with their uniqueness well and their advantage over buying online. I imagine that it’s now no longer useful for customers to go to a physical store for only gift cards and related stuff.

It’s very likely that for companies like Wayfair, opening physical stores are helpful and necessary. It’s beneficial to go a physical store and find out the actual look, size, materials and comfort of a piece of furniture.

manny_santos
Jan 23, 2020, 1:29 AM
One of the food trucks here in London, Shelby's, has spawned several storefronts in the last year. Been amazing to see their growth.

Whatever happened to all those brick and mortar restaurants that lobbied against food trucks, like Stobie’s? Did any of them go out of business?

zahav
Jan 23, 2020, 6:56 AM
Restaurants aren't bricks and mortar retail, there will always be restaurants/cafes etc., I meant actual retail

Djeffery
Jan 23, 2020, 11:30 AM
It seems that these retailers are closing their stores because currently they can’t distinguish from online shopping with their uniqueness well and their advantage over buying online. I imagine that it’s now no longer useful for customers to go to a physical store for only gift cards and related stuff.

It’s very likely that for companies like Wayfair, opening physical stores are helpful and necessary. It’s beneficial to go a physical store and find out the actual look, size, materials and comfort of a piece of furniture.

In the case of Carlton, greeting cards aren't as popular anymore, and 8 dollar greeting cards are even less popular. There's a Dollarama or similar every other block now and the cards are a buck or so, if you want to buy one. The card stores have diversified into other overpriced gift stuff and it's just not sustainable.

Djeffery
Jan 23, 2020, 11:33 AM
Whatever happened to all those brick and mortar restaurants that lobbied against food trucks, like Stobie’s? Did any of them go out of business?

Stobies is as busy as ever, especially after their Juno's shoutout. I don't remember who else was protesting them. There's been the usual comings and goings of restaurants but I don't think any, like Bull and Barrel or Shoeless Joes can blame food trucks.

SaskScraper
Jan 23, 2020, 4:43 PM

Of note:
"Our immediate post-acquisition objectives will be to combine Cineplex with our U.S. business," Chairman Anthony Bloom said."

I wouldn't mind if CineWorld either keeps Cineplex name or switches to UK branding name.

Saskatoon has 5 movie complexes, The Roxy with two screens, Cineplex Odeon, Landmark and Rainbow each with eight screens each in their suburban theatres and the main Scotia Cineplex theatre downtown has 15 screens. They show a combined total of over 150 movie screenings each day, over 200 each on Saturdays and Sundays.
In the age of Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV, Crave, FX, Disney Plus etc, I'm impressed that there is still such a demand for going to movies these days.

JHikka
Jan 23, 2020, 5:08 PM
Interesting to see Casper pushing so hard into brick and mortar when there's a definite trend away from it. In hindsight, Bench should have gone the Canada Goose route instead of the Lululemon route.

isaidso
Jan 23, 2020, 5:51 PM
Sad to see an industry pioneer like Cineplex getting taken out.

canucklehead2
Jan 23, 2020, 6:04 PM
Sad to see an industry pioneer like Cineplex getting taken out.

I'm not for several reasons. Under ONEX in the last few years the company was floundering and fast. Facilities that were once crown jewels were being neglected. How bad and how would I know? I got a severe cut on the bum from a broken seat that ripped through my pants, underwear and a quarter inch of skin. The manager was so inept she didn't even offer me a band-aid. I vowed never to return to that theatre and with the exception of once (my mom and I met for Mother's Day my treat) I never had. Other locations were never cleaned, etc.

Meanwhile at Landmark? VIP leather rocking seats from Palliser are being rolled out in almost every theatre at standard prices. Not even premium. Now like all lazy virtual monopolies threatened by eager rivals they are playing catch up...

Too little too late, unless that movie pass deal gets rolled out fast and cheap! Then? Maybe I'll reconsider...

BTW if you read the fascinating history of Cineplex it's actually the lovechild of every other failed chain in the nation from Canadian Theatres to Odeon to Cineplex to Famous Players to Galaxy, although under its 1980's owners it went into the USA hence why even Americans call them cineplexes... Cool fact!

canucklehead2
Jan 23, 2020, 6:06 PM
All Carlton Cards and Papyrus stores closing within weeks
Ryan Flanagan
CTVNews.ca
Published Wednesday, January 22, 2020 11:49AM EST
Last Updated Wednesday, January 22, 2020 2:19PM EST

There are 76 Carlton Cards and Papyrus stores in Canada, all of which are expected to close in the next four to six weeks.

TORONTO -- The owner of greeting card retailers including Carlton Cards and Papyrus is closing all of its stores in North America, including 76 Canadian locations.

Most of the closures will take place over the next four to six weeks, Schurman Retail Group CEO Dominique Schurman told CTVNews.ca in a statement.

Another 178 locations will close in the U.S., bringing the total to 254 stores employing approximately 1,400 people.

Schurman said the closures were a "difficult decision" necessitated by the company being unable to "realign our … stores to fit today's shopping environment."

'The closures will not affect the publishing of Carlton Cards or their sale in other stores. Those aspects of the business are handled by a separate company. The Carlton Cards and Papyrus online stores also remain open, although the Papyrus website has been modified to state that all sales are final.

Going-out-of-business sales are underway at physical stores in both Canada and the U.S. There are 59 Carlton Cards locations and 17 Papyrus outlets in Canada, encompassing all provinces except New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.

Anyone wishing to continue purchasing Carlton Cards can use the chain's online store locator to find other retailers that sell them.

Carlton Cards and Papyrus are the latest in a seemingly never-ending series of Canadian retail closures. This week alone, fair-trade retailer Ten Thousand Villages announced plans to shutter many of its stores and the owner of apparel store Bench's Canadian operations confirmed to BNN that all 24 locations will be closed. Things Engraved announced earlier this month that it plans to shut all of its stores.

The message that typically accompanies these closures is that even long-tenured chains are having trouble coping with the growth in online shopping, as consumers increasingly opt for convenience over familiar retail brands.

Craig Patterson, founder of industry website Retail Insider, said Wednesday in a telephone interview that he believes the recent announcements from Carlton Cards and others are just the "tip of the iceberg" in what he expects to be a dreadful year for Canadian retail.

"We've seen a real shift about consumer behaviour, and I don't think a lot of retailers have been addressing that," he said.

Patterson said he had recently walked into Carlton Cards and Papyrus stores in downtown Toronto for the first time in many years and found that they were virtually the same as his memories of them.

"A lot of these retailers really haven't changed their retail concepts in the last 10 or 20 years – but society, if you think about it, we've changed a lot," he said.

The Carlton Cards closures will leave Hallmark as the sole remaining dominant player in Canadian greeting card retail. It has 96 stores across the country.

According to market research firm IBISWorld, the Canadian greeting card and other publishing industry, which also includes such items as calendars and postcards, shrank by 4.4 per cent per year between 2014 and 2019.

"Operators in [this] industry have grappled with the advent of paperless substitutes, which have rendered some industry products obsolete," reads an IBISWorld report. The report singles out electronic cards as a growing alternative to the traditional paper offerings; IBISWorld estimates that online greeting card sales in the U.S. rose by 9.3 per cent over the last five years and hit US$714 million in 2019.

The closures will also deal another blow to mid-range shopping malls across Canada. Many chains once ubiquitous in malls outside big cities have gone under in recent years, and replacing them has been a struggle for landlords.

With dozens of additional empty spots about to open up, Patterson said many will likely not be filled.

"New concepts will come in here and there, but there will be vacancies," he said, suggesting that some malls could end up redeveloped or demolished.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/all-carlton-cards-and-papyrus-stores-closing-within-weeks-1.4778542

I don't want to be a dinosaur, but I feel bad seeing all of these chains go under. I am not opposed to Amazon or anything but I wish there was a place for both online and in person, it seems bricks and mortar is just really going fast now

Not shocked at all by this. Who the hell but a tiny few has the $ to spend $5 on a freakin' gift card never mind any of the thousands of mindless trinkets those stores were based upon...

WarrenC12
Jan 23, 2020, 6:55 PM
Not shocked at all by this. Who the hell but a tiny few has the $ to spend $5 on a freakin' gift card never mind any of the thousands of mindless trinkets those stores were based upon...

No kidding. The economy and society are more efficient without this crap.

esquire
Jan 23, 2020, 7:07 PM

The Papyrus cards were closer to a tenner which is koo koo bananas for a card in my books. They wouldn't have made much of a splash with men but a lot of the women I know love them.

I would imagine that a large portion of the greeting card market has been cornered by dollar stores... a place like Dollarama has a nice selection of cards you can buy for a buck or two. If Carlton had kept their prices in check instead of making a basic birthday card six or seven bucks they would probably still be in business.

isaidso
Jan 23, 2020, 7:56 PM
I'm not for several reasons. Under ONEX in the last few years the company was floundering and fast. Facilities that were once crown jewels were being neglected. How bad and how would I know? I got a severe cut on the bum from a broken seat that ripped through my pants, underwear and a quarter inch of skin. The manager was so inept she didn't even offer me a band-aid. I vowed never to return to that theatre and with the exception of once (my mom and I met for Mother's Day my treat) I never had. Other locations were never cleaned, etc.

Meanwhile at Landmark? VIP leather rocking seats from Palliser are being rolled out in almost every theatre at standard prices. Not even premium. Now like all lazy virtual monopolies threatened by eager rivals they are playing catch up...

Too little too late, unless that movie pass deal gets rolled out fast and cheap! Then? Maybe I'll reconsider...

BTW if you read the fascinating history of Cineplex it's actually the lovechild of every other failed chain in the nation from Canadian Theatres to Odeon to Cineplex to Famous Players to Galaxy, although under its 1980's owners it went into the USA hence why even Americans call them cineplexes... Cool fact!

My comment was more directed at watching a company that was once at the leading edge fall so far. In 1980 Cineplex changed the industry for the better. Now look at them.

isaidso
Jan 23, 2020, 8:01 PM
Who the hell but a tiny few has the $ to spend $5 on a freakin' gift card Their main product is cards, not gift cards. Making someone feel wanted, loved, needed, appreciated is a way better use of $5 than a whole laundry list of crap people spend $5 on these days.

No kidding. The economy and society are more efficient without this crap.

An e-card might be more efficient but who the hell wants to get one of those when an actual card is 1000 times nicer? It's e-cards that are crap, not to mention a little lazy and thoughtless. The problem with Carlton Cards is the segment of the industry they operate in. Their cards are hideous. Why go to Burger King when you can go to Big Smoke Burger?