PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Retail Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 80 81

JHikka
Mar 3, 2023, 9:07 PM
With no rent controls in commercial spaces, why not sign cheaper leases and leave it open for increases later?

I see CRUs all the time that are empty for months and years. :shrug:

Either holding out for something better or keeping it empty for redevelopment, would be my guess.

Either way, as I said on the Ottawa forum, i'm not sorry to see a glorified department store selling $300 t-shirts go out of business or struggle. Those customers will have no problem finding their wares elsewhere.

Acajack
Mar 3, 2023, 9:14 PM
I will say that most of the places with a "for lease" sign are already spoken for, or in some cases under active renovation. Also been a lot of new places open since/during COVID. I know someone looking for space right now - ideally in Parkdale but willing to be anywhere in this part of the West End. It's actually very hard to find space. You do still of course have the weird owners who are asking far too much and seemingly willing to let their place sit empty indefinitely.

I was very recently in my kid's neighbourhood in Montreal. It's not an especially posh area but it's pretty vibrant. The pandemic killed off a number of businesses on the main street, but for some reason I noticed on this particular visit that almost all of the empty storefronts have now been filled. Almost all of the new businesses are food-related in some way.

davidivivid
Mar 7, 2023, 2:57 PM
McLaren will be opening a new dealership in Quebec City. A bit of an odd choice to me considering there currently are only two other such dealerships in the country : Toronto and Montreal.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1960896/mclaren-concessionnaire-quebec-salon-auto

Un premier concessionnaire McLaren ouvrira ses portes à Québec au printemps prochain. L’annonce sera faite pendant le 40e Salon de l’automobile de Québec qui prendra son envol mardi.

C'est le groupe Holand qui en est le propriétaire, qui est aussi propriétaire de BMW à Québec et Lévis. Le groupe a aussi acheté en août le Circuit Mont-Tremblant.

Acajack
Mar 7, 2023, 5:18 PM
McLaren will be opening a new dealership in Quebec City. A bit of an odd choice to me considering there currently are only two other such dealerships in the country : Toronto and Montreal.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1960896/mclaren-concessionnaire-quebec-salon-auto

Groupe Holand also owns Rolls-Royce and Maserati dealerships in Montreal.

They are right at the junction of the A-40 (Métropolitaine) and A-15 (Décarie) and easily visible from the highway. With private security vehicles parked outside 24-7.

LeftCoaster
Mar 7, 2023, 6:15 PM

Strange, there is definitely a McLaren dealership in Vancouver.

https://vancouver.mclaren.com/en

cranes
Mar 9, 2023, 11:37 PM
https://www.waterloochronicle.ca/news/to-delight-your-tastebuds-and-expand-your-snack-horizons-a-new-twist-on-candy-coming/article_a14a1752-8ce0-5ae3-96e8-4cf046326b8e.html

‘To delight your tastebuds and expand your snack horizons’: A new twist on candy coming to Uptown Waterloo
Bill Jackson Waterloo Chronicle March 9, 2023

Nerds Gummy Clusters are basically gummy worms with Nerds on them.
“When you run them through the freeze dryer, the gummy puffs up but the Nerds stay on,” according Kyle Foster, who says the result is a colourful, crispy candy with a texture akin to Cheetos that bursts with flavour.
If you think Foster sounds like he has a sweet tooth and a PhD in physics, you’d be accurate, though his decision to open up a new candy shop on King Street with wife Laura comes following a seven-year stint in cannabis production that took the University of Waterloo alumnus to Eastern Canada.
“There will be wall candy, but the rule of thumb is, if you can find it at a gas station, you probably won’t find it here. It has to be more novel or new, interesting, or different than that in order to make the cut here.”
The Fosters are planning a soft opening on March 18, the day after St. Patrick’s Day, so those requiring a sugar fix for the hangover, take heed.
A grand opening is planned for April 1, no joke.
“We'll be offering samples on a very regular basis,” said Kyle.
Address: 110 King St. S., Unit B, Waterloo, ON N2J 1P5

Kyle and Laura Foster hold some of their freeze-dried candy that will soon be for sale. - Bill Jackson/Metroland
https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/waterloochronicle.ca/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/a/6d/a6db4dac-5497-5634-afe0-efc87ca1ea60/640a0633a1a8b.image.jpg?resize=833%2C500

Sign guy Trent puts some polish on a new addition to uptown. - Bill Jackson/Metroland
https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/waterloochronicle.ca/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/7/be/7be4815a-2ba5-5e7e-9c2b-0294a56fe85a/640a063392995.image.jpg?resize=833%2C500

Denscity
Mar 10, 2023, 12:09 AM

Ya I've seen it in person. Something like W2nd Ave near Burrard.

cslusarc
Mar 15, 2023, 5:06 AM
JRetail-Insider reports that Zellers will open on Thursday, March 23 online and in-store in Alberta and Ontario (https://retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2023/03/zellers-reveals-opening-dates-for-alberta-and-ontario-stores/)

cslusarc
Mar 18, 2023, 3:17 PM
Retail-insider reports that "Holt Renfrew To Relocate Standalone Men’s Store On Toronto’s Bloor Street Back Into Flagship (https://retail-insider.com/bulletin/2023/03/holt-renfrew-to-relocate-standalone-mens-store-on-torontos-bloor-street-back-into-flagship/)"

J.OT13
Mar 20, 2023, 2:51 PM
The infamous McDonald's on Rideau Street has closed. It was an institution for 30 odd years that provided a place where the homeless could sit for a while and have access to washrooms (at least, before the pandemic), along with some affordable -ish food (cheeseburgers and small fries, at least).

Street groups hold march to commemorate Rideau Street McDonald's

Staff Reporter, Ottawa Citizen
Published Mar 19, 2023 • Last updated 11 hours ago • 1 minute read

https://smartcdn.gprod.postmedia.digital/ottawacitizen/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/0320-mcdonalds-07_276534996-1.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=650

To many people in Ottawa, the Rideau Street McDonald’s restaurant is best known for it’s often-rowdy clientele, and particularly, for a rowdy dustup between groups a few years ago when one man inexplicably pulled a baby raccoon from inside his jacket and waved it around.
Article content

While there has been no specific date for the closing, the realty company that owns the building has confirmed the restaurant franchisee has chosen not to renew the lease that expires this summer.

For many young street people, for all of its problems, the troubled restaurant provided cheap eats and brief shelter.

“I read (about the closing) and I thought somebody ought to make a thing out of this,” said Keith De Silva-Legault, who helped organize a downtown march Sunday to commemorate the closing.

“So I brought it up to some friends at a bar and we decided we were gonna do it.”

The group has organized a non-perishable food drive to benefit the Shepherds of Good Hope, as well as a fundraiser for groups that assists young people in the streets, such as Operation Go Home.

Organizers had provided a number of fundraising incentives. For example, organizer De Silva-Legault agreed to dress as Ronald McDonald if $1,500 was raised.

“I also have to jump into the Ottawa River (but) not today,” he said in the deep cold.

Organizers has intended to leave plush raccoon dolls to commemorate the restaurant’s unofficial mascot.

That plan was inexplicably dropped.

https://smartcdn.gprod.postmedia.digital/ottawacitizen/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/0320-mcdonalds-04_276534988.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=650

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/street-groups-hold-march-to-commemorate-rideau-street-mcdonalds

Why a raccoon?

5hQwUa10kZU

whatnext
Mar 20, 2023, 3:06 PM

Gotta spend that laundered money somewhere!

Airboy
Mar 20, 2023, 3:13 PM
Gotta spend that laundered money somewhere!

I see the McLaren's here and I think you hockey players. But if I see a Lambo or something similar I think the Bank of Dad or laundered money.

The Maserati dealer here seems to be doing ok.

Innsertnamehere
Mar 20, 2023, 3:13 PM
The Rideau St McDs always struck me as Ottawa's version of the Queen and Spadina McDs in Toronto. Similar vibes for sure. Even I recall having burgers at the Rideau St location a few times, and I barely ever go to Ottawa haha.

manny_santos
Mar 20, 2023, 8:48 PM
The Rideau St McDs always struck me as Ottawa's version of the Queen and Spadina McDs in Toronto. Similar vibes for sure. Even I recall having burgers at the Rideau St location a few times, and I barely ever go to Ottawa haha.

Likewise with the old McD's at Dundas & Richmond in London. That place always had a few interesting characters. I think it closed in 2019, pre-Covid anyways.

Now it's one of billions and billions of vacant Farhi-brand properties.

svlt
Mar 20, 2023, 9:20 PM
I see the McLaren's here and I think you hockey players. But if I see a Lambo or something similar I think the Bank of Dad or laundered money.

The Maserati dealer here seems to be doing ok.

They're all targets of laundered money, maybe a Lotus would be less so, seems like a niche enthusiasts' type of car instead.

JHikka
Mar 20, 2023, 9:48 PM

They're definitely equivalent. There was a good AMA on Reddit with the manager of the Rideau MacDonald's four or five years ago where they went in-depth in the culture of working there and what typically goes on. One answer I always remember is that the manager thought their quality and work ethic was better than the Elgin location, and based on my recent visits to the latter I can confirm it's not all that great quality-wise.

The MacDonald's at Bathurst/Dundas is equally just as bad, IMO, but seems to escape most of the negative coverage or memes. Broadview used to be not-great as well before it was shuttered.

Innsertnamehere
Mar 20, 2023, 11:29 PM
Queen and Church can also be interesting.

Queen and Spadina wins the contest for sure though. Every single time I’ve been in there it’s been an adventure.

SpongeG
Mar 20, 2023, 11:35 PM
my friend was at an old Mcdonald's on Granville Street in downtown Vancouver waiting for his order at the counter and a vagrant came in and dropped his pants in the middle of the lobby area and took a big dump. My friend and everyone else just fled the place and he never went back.

Most McDonald's and fast food and coffee places here keep their bathrooms locked, even suburban ones so you need to get a key or buzzed in to use the facilities. Is that pretty standard across the country these days?

manny_santos
Mar 21, 2023, 1:15 AM
Most McDonald's and fast food and coffee places here keep their bathrooms locked, even suburban ones so you need to get a key or buzzed in to use the facilities. Is that pretty standard across the country these days?

Haven’t seen a whole lot of this outside of downtown areas. I remember seeing this at a downtown Hamilton A&W several years before the pandemic though.

Loco101
Mar 21, 2023, 3:14 AM
And the blue lights in the bathrooms. I've seen it in some large urban centres, towns and in remote areas.

J.OT13
Mar 21, 2023, 12:44 PM
my friend was at an old Mcdonald's on Granville Street in downtown Vancouver waiting for his order at the counter and a vagrant came in and dropped his pants in the middle of the lobby area and took a big dump. My friend and everyone else just fled the place and he never went back.

Who knows. Maybe he was denied a key last time he went and this was pay back. Bathrooms are a basic human right. It's not just the homeless, but people with IBS, Crones, Colitis. On the one hand, why should a private business give public access to their facilities, but on the other hand... Cities should do a better job at providing public facilities, or maybe give tax incentives to businesses who do. A system needs to be worked out.

But yeah, in Ottawa, outside of the pandemic when washrooms were inaccessible, I'll say 50/50 balance between open to anyone and needing to ask for a key. Even in the suburbs some businesses have signs saying customers only.

Acajack
Mar 21, 2023, 12:51 PM
Gatineau seems pretty wide open everywhere except for maybe one street in the downtown Vieux-Hull sector (promenade du Portage).

Montreal inner city (especially downtown) tends towards being locked up of course, and Montreal suburbs tend to be pretty open in my experience.

Arrdeeharharharbour
Mar 21, 2023, 2:13 PM
Who knows. Maybe he was denied a key last time he went and this was pay back. Bathrooms are a basic human right. It's not just the homeless, but people with IBS, Crones, Colitis. On the one hand, why should a private business give public access to their facilities, but on the other hand... Cities should do a better job at providing public facilities, or maybe give tax incentives to businesses who do. A system needs to be worked out.

But yeah, in Ottawa, outside of the pandemic when washrooms were inaccessible, I'll say 50/50 balance between open to anyone and needing to ask for a key. Even in the suburbs some businesses have signs saying customers only.

The fear of not being able to find a toilet when needed keeps many people at home. I'll echo that bathrooms are a basic human right. This pic is at the hilltop fortress in Lisbon...very near the main entrance and right on the street.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52762365923_8b535c9bcb_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2ooqVbc)20230202_122103 (https://flic.kr/p/2ooqVbc) by AJ Forsythe (https://www.flickr.com/photos/194233676@N07/), on Flickr

acottawa
Mar 21, 2023, 2:37 PM
The fear of not being able to find a toilet when needed keeps many people at home. I'll echo that bathrooms are a basic human right. This pic is at the hilltop fortress in Lisbon...very near the main entrance and right on the street.

In most places there are paid public washrooms. The problem is Canadians freak out at the thought of paying for things and expect McDonalds and Starbucks to subsidize washrooms.

Acajack
Mar 21, 2023, 2:43 PM
Funny how Americans (and no doubt many Canadians) used to complain about paid washrooms in Europe, but this was before businesses in their cities started locking up and reserving theirs for clients only, and the increased presence of feces on their streets.

The European way doesn't look so bad anymore.

Paying 0.50 euro cents isn't so bad compared to the cheapest thing you can buy at McDonald's or Starbucks that will make you a "customer".

J.OT13
Mar 21, 2023, 2:55 PM
I'm fine with paying for a washroom (to a certain point, maybe a dollar max) as long as it's clean, but then that opens a can of worms on accessibility for the homeless. Do they get free dirty bathrooms, or nothing?

casper
Mar 21, 2023, 3:10 PM
Funny how Americans (and no doubt many Canadians) used to complain about paid washrooms in Europe, but this was before businesses in their cities started locking up and reserving theirs for clients only, and the increased presence of feces on their streets.

The European way doesn't look so bad anymore.

Paying 0.50 euro cents isn't so bad compared to the cheapest thing you can buy at McDonald's or Starbucks that will make you a "customer".

I am ok in pay as well as long as it takes credit cards.

In Vancouver, the cities has been installing automated washrooms (that are free). I have only ever used the one near the Art Galley. Here is a video of the one near Pigeon Park. Yes, I know Pigeon Park is a "challenging" are of the city to do much of anything.

8MrhOTqKp4g

MonctonRad
Mar 21, 2023, 3:25 PM
They installed a self cleaning automatic toilet on the plaza in front of city hall in Moncton the other year. Critics said that it would only be used by addicts shooting up, and, sure enough they found a body in there within six months - dead from an OD.

WhipperSnapper
Mar 21, 2023, 3:25 PM
I had a good chance being able to walk onto any office floor and avoid the one lobby camera in the 1990s. Crazy times compared to now.

Anyways, I find bathrooms still tend to be unlocked. The ones that are locked/monitored tended to be abused. A usage charge doesn't address the abuse.

Acajack
Mar 21, 2023, 3:26 PM
I'm fine with paying for a washroom (to a certain point, maybe a dollar max) as long as it's clean, but then that opens a can of worms on accessibility for the homeless. Do they get free dirty bathrooms, or nothing?

I know this sounds horribly heartless but on a practical logical level, I think we can assume homeless people almost all have a bit of spare change on them at any given time.

Paying 25 or 50 cents for a public washroom from time to time is probably better than being harassed or mistreated by business owners who don't want them to scare off their customers.

harls
Mar 21, 2023, 4:00 PM
I can't wait to try the 'new' Zellers cafeteria.

WhipperSnapper
Mar 21, 2023, 4:04 PM
On a practical logical level, wouldn't it be a missed opportunity for a homeless person to use a restroom for only its function of relieving oneself? There's hot water, soap, and, sink.

esquire
Mar 21, 2023, 4:13 PM
It would be nice if people didn't constantly misuse/abuse public washrooms. Maybe there might be more of them then. I can't blame business owners for wanting to limit access given the immense clean up and repair bills some of them must face.

One could argue that the public realm in Canadian cities has been declining for years now, but it certainly doesn't help that so many people are intent on abusing what we do have (transit, parks, public washrooms, increasingly libraries). Contrast with countries that don't have the "anything goes" ethos that we do... for example, the typical Tokyo subway station bathroom. Probably cleaner and tidier than most peoples' home bathrooms. What would a public washroom look like in a busy Canadian subway/LRT/bus terminal? Not that great, I'm guessing.

megadude
Mar 21, 2023, 4:21 PM
Forget about public washrooms, look at office washrooms. There's always some selfish douche that doesn't want to use the urinal to take piss, which is fine, but will go piss in the stall without lifting the toilet seat up and not bother to wipe the seat. And you don't know who it is. It could be the guy that sits beside you or it could be the CEO.

Stadiums are on a whole other level. And it can't just be the drunk people doing it. People in general are at the very least, part time or occasional selfish assholes.

As for the McDonalds bathroom key, the first time I saw this was late 2019 on Yonge St. near Wellesley station I think it was. Only been there once. It was in the evening. It surprised me at the time but I quickly realized why. The only McD's I would go to in the city would be at the TD Centre and of course, that was just a food court.

The next time I saw this was last year in Scarboro during the day at Vic Park and Finch.

The most disconcerting thing I've seen at a McD's was in the Cleveland area, while entering the restaurant.

https://i.postimg.cc/L4rF2kR4/IMG-1040a.jpg (https://postimages.org/)plumeria wallpaper (https://suwalls.com/flowers/plumeria)

harls
Mar 21, 2023, 4:26 PM
Forget about public washrooms, look at office washrooms. There's always some selfish douche that doesn't want to use the urinal to take piss, which is fine, but will go piss in the stall without lifting the toilet seat up and not bother to wipe the seat. And you don't know who it is. It could be the guy that sits beside you or it could be the CEO.

Stadiums are on a whole other level. And it can't just be the drunk people doing it. People in general are at the very least, part time or occasional selfish assholes.

My worst experience was with a Tim Horton's public washroom in Laval, QC. Someone left a mammoth log in the toilet, I am talking ARM GIRTH. The employees probably saw it and said, 'fuck no.. 15 bucks an hour this is not my problem'.

TorontoDrew
Mar 21, 2023, 4:29 PM
I had a good chance being able to walk onto any office floor and avoid the one lobby camera in the 1990s. Crazy times compared to now.

Anyways, I find bathrooms still tend to be unlocked. The ones that are locked/monitored tended to be abused. A usage charge doesn't address the abuse.

I used to use the Hotel washrooms when I was downtown. They were always safe, clean, and empty. The Sheraton was the best. Now most hotels require a room key.

That Vancouver washroom would work well in some of Toronto's more down and out areas providing some of the homeless with a bit of dignity.

TorontoDrew
Mar 21, 2023, 4:33 PM
There is an App to help you find nearby and public washrooms set up by the Crohns and Colitis Society of Canada. A few years back some friends and I were trying to think of a good app to create, we thought an app to find a washroom with ratings and reviews would be good. We looked it up and there were already some established ones out there.

https://crohnsandcolitis.ca/Support-for-You/GoHere-Washroom-Access/Get-Involved#:~:text=The%20GoHere%E2%84%A2%20Washroom%20Locator,iPhone%2C%20Android%20and%20Blackberry%20Touchscreen.

megadude
Mar 21, 2023, 4:36 PM
Would use the Marriott washroom just north of the Dome after games or whatever we were down there for. That and to use their fancy coffee machine. Probably did this four or five times. Never saw anyone give us a suspicious look. We'd even sit down to drink our coffee and read the magazines or paper. Sometimes there was only a handful of people in the lobby sometimes there were 20. I guess as long as there wasn't a pattern of messing things up they didn't really care to be checking everyone. That and fear of disrespecting actual guests if you weren't sure.

I used to use the Hotel washrooms when I was downtown. They were always safe, clean, and empty. The Sheraton was the best. Now most hotels require a room key.

That Vancouver washroom would work well in some of Toronto's more down and out areas providing some of the homeless with a bit of dignity.

le calmar
Mar 21, 2023, 4:40 PM
My worst experience was with a Tim Horton's public washroom in Laval, QC. Someone left a mammoth log in the toilet, I am talking ARM GIRTH. The employees probably saw it and said, 'fuck no.. 15 bucks an hour this is not my problem'.

I wish I didn’t read that while I was eating. You should have put it in a spoiler SHH-style.

manny_santos
Mar 21, 2023, 4:43 PM

This is a particularly bad problem in Downtown Vancouver, including on the transit system. Not a single SkyTrain station has a washroom, except at Waterfront where it's located in the SeaBus waiting area - fairly far out of the way.

I've seen this in Mexico. Last time I was there, I used one at a rest stop along a highway north of Mexico City, there was a guy outside collecting 50 centavos (about 3 cents CAD). It wasn't the worst public washroom I'd seen, but it was run down and not particularly clean.

There is an App to help you find nearby and public washrooms set up by the Crohns and Colitis Society of Canada. A few years back some friends and I were trying to think of a good app to create, we thought an app to find a washroom with ratings and reviews would be good. We looked it up and there were already some established ones out there.

George Costanza had this idea.

manny_santos
Mar 21, 2023, 4:43 PM
The most disconcerting thing I've seen at a McD's was in the Cleveland area, while entering the restaurant.

https://i.postimg.cc/L4rF2kR4/IMG-1040a.jpg (https://postimages.org/)plumeria wallpaper (https://suwalls.com/flowers/plumeria)

I saw a sign like this at a Nordstrom in Seattle, though it wasn't this bold.

esquire
Mar 21, 2023, 4:50 PM

When my kids were preschoolers and I started taking them to sports events, I remember bracing myself when I entered the bathroom stalls with them but I have to say, the main sports venues around here like IG Field, Canada Life Centre and Shaw Park were always spotlessly clean. I appreciated that as a parent :haha:

But again, bathrooms in stadiums are not really "public realm", there is usually a steep pricetag as a barrier to entry, and the costs pay for cleaners who keep the washrooms in good shape.

manny_santos
Mar 21, 2023, 5:26 PM
When my kids were preschoolers and I started taking them to sports events, I remember bracing myself when I entered the bathroom stalls with them but I have to say, the main sports venues around here like IG Field, Canada Life Centre and Shaw Park were always spotlessly clean. I appreciated that as a parent :haha:

But again, bathrooms in stadiums are not really "public realm", there is usually a steep pricetag as a barrier to entry, and the costs pay for cleaners who keep the washrooms in good shape.

The worst I've seen in a stadium bathroom is the garbage bin overflowing with paper towels towards the end of the game. That's not so bad, all things considered, especially the stinker of a game the Blue Jays played on that occasion.

J.OT13
Mar 21, 2023, 5:35 PM

Isn't the right to bare arms in the Constitution? Isn't everybody legally allowed to carry a concealed weapon? Don't get me wrong, I think the 2nd amendment is ridiculous, but this sign seems to go against it.

https://crohnsandcolitis.ca/Support-for-You/GoHere-Washroom-Access/Get-Involved#:~:text=The%20GoHere%E2%84%A2%20Washroom%20Locator,iPhone%2C%20Android%20and%20Blackberry%20Touchscreen.

We have that in Ottawa too, but security in those building don't always seem to be aware. A while back, we were in a quiet area just outside Downtown Ottawa on Sussex Drive. We were looking for a washroom and went to Old City Hall (at the time, and still today Foreign Affairs'' Diefenbaker Building) and the door had the Go-Here sticker. We went in and the security guards asked us what we were doing here. When we said we needed to go the washroom, they wouldn't' allow us. We explained that the sticker was on the door. They finally allowed us, but escorted us to the washroom and waited until we were done before escorting us back.

Yup, hotels are a go along with certain Federal buildings. Washrooms in municipal buildings are often gross, so I avoid them.

This is a particularly bad problem in Downtown Vancouver, including on the transit system. Not a single SkyTrain station has a washroom, except at Waterfront where it's located in the SeaBus waiting area - fairly far out of the way.

Ottawa has quite a few public washrooms along the O-Train Line; 4 of the 13 stations currently, and that will go up (but down in proportion) to 12 of 42 if I'm counting right. So nearly every major transfer station, all within the fare-paid zone.

casper
Mar 21, 2023, 5:48 PM
Isn't the right to bare arms in the Constitution? Isn't everybody legally allowed to carry a concealed weapon? Don't get me wrong, I think the 2nd amendment is ridiculous, but this sign seems to go against it.

Very common in the US. I have encountered those signs going into everything from restraints to office buildings. I think property rights allow a property owner to set rules on who can come onto private property.

Yup, hotels are a go along with certain Federal buildings. Washrooms in municipal buildings are often gross, so I avoid them.

Ottawa has quite a few public washrooms along the O-Train Line; 4 of the 13 stations currently, and that will go up (but down in proportion) to 12 of 42 if I'm counting right. So nearly every major transfer station, all within the fare-paid zone.

That is one of the problems with Skytrain in Vancouver. They don't have public washrooms. Not a good setup.

Acajack
Mar 21, 2023, 5:57 PM
Very common in the US. I have encountered those signs going into everything from restraints to office buildings. I think property rights allow a property owner to set rules on who can come onto private property.

That is one of the problems with Skytrain in Vancouver. They don't have public washrooms. Not a good setup.

IIRC they are very rare in métro stations in Montreal as well, unless it's a major transfer terminal with some other type of service.

harls
Mar 21, 2023, 6:25 PM
I wish I didn’t read that while I was eating. You should have put it in a spoiler SHH-style.

My apologies :D

theman23
Mar 21, 2023, 6:40 PM
Sydney (Australia) has a surprising amount of stand alone public bathrooms that are easily accessible and in good condition. The public realm in general seems much better looked after there. Not really sure why Australians are so much better behaved than Canadians.

manny_santos
Mar 21, 2023, 8:47 PM
right to bare arms

A very necessary amendment in some of the hotter parts of the country. I couldn't imagine having to wear long sleeves all the time.

TorontoDrew
Mar 21, 2023, 8:47 PM
Sydney (Australia) has a surprising amount of stand alone public bathrooms that are easily accessible and in good condition. The public realm in general seems much better looked after there. Not really sure why Australians are so much better behaved than Canadians.

Maybe they're worse? Maybe the government put in washrooms all over to stop everybody from defecating in the streets.:shitstorm:

theman23
Mar 21, 2023, 9:00 PM
Probably not.

Harrison
Mar 21, 2023, 10:27 PM

Australian cities, even small cities, all seem to have lively downtowns that are still the hub of retail activity, with a main shopping mall or department store located centrally. There doesn't seem to be the love of large, suburban power centres there to the extent we have in Canada.

theman23
Mar 21, 2023, 10:49 PM
Australian cities, even small cities, all seem to have lively downtowns that are still the hub of retail activity, with a main shopping mall or department store located centrally. There doesn't seem to be the love of large, suburban power centres there to the extent we have in Canada.

Suburban power centres aren't that much of a thing, but malls are. Generally located around train stations with walkable high streets nearby.

JHikka
Mar 21, 2023, 11:03 PM
I think there's a very clear and obvious reason why Canada would have such things and Australia wouldn't.

svlt
Mar 21, 2023, 11:10 PM
I think there's a very clear and obvious reason why Canada would have such things and Australia wouldn't.

And discovering that reason involves walking outside on any given day between October to April in almost any part of the country :P

Hawrylyshyn
Mar 21, 2023, 11:45 PM
Isn't the right to bare arms in the Constitution? Isn't everybody legally allowed to carry a concealed weapon?

A very necessary amendment in some of the hotter parts of the country. I couldn't imagine having to wear long sleeves all the time.

I don't think you guys understand the "right to bare arms". Maybe this video will help. :haha:

RpeUznIhgLU

whatnext
Mar 22, 2023, 12:09 AM
I am ok in pay as well as long as it takes credit cards.

In Vancouver, the cities has been installing automated washrooms (that are free). I have only ever used the one near the Art Galley. Here is a video of the one near Pigeon Park. Yes, I know Pigeon Park is a "challenging" are of the city to do much of anything.

And yet it seems these are able to be trashed like any other public washroom in Vancouver. And then people wonder why we can't have nice things, well, if you consider public shitters a "nice thing".

cslusarc
Mar 22, 2023, 2:27 AM
You can shop at Zellers online now — visit Zellers.thebay.com (http://zellers.thebay.com)

Loco101
Mar 22, 2023, 2:32 AM

:haha:

Thanks for the laugh!

SpongeG
Mar 22, 2023, 8:16 AM

as an aside I found most of the mens public bathrooms down under in Australia used trough type urinals, you certainly can see a lot more than the walled off individual urinals used here. eyes up and forward.

typically most were like this

https://www.architectureanddesign.com.au/getattachment/278c848c-51bc-4a68-9ac4-636cca975f1e/attachment.aspx?width=0&height=0
architectureanddesign.com.au

Tokyo had the most amazing public bathrooms, I liked the music feature on their toilets haha

SpongeG
Mar 22, 2023, 8:37 AM
I remember in Portland Oregon at the Macy's downtown washroom, it closed down years ago, but once me and my two friends went to use it and my friend needed a stall and the doors for the stall were all very small, like half size and there was no real privacy at all, you could stand at the mirror washing up and see the people in the stall doing there business full on face in view. It was pretty awkward.

The rest areas on the 1-5 I have used recently also have half size stall doors, slightly more privacy but you can still see someone sitting in there. I have never seen those kind of stalls at all in Canada, anyone seen them here?

MolsonExport
Mar 22, 2023, 12:28 PM
My worst experience was with a Tim Horton's public washroom in Laval, QC. Someone left a mammoth log in the toilet, I am talking ARM GIRTH.

Are you sure it wasn't Tronald Dump that fell into the bowl? I hear he is trying to escape arrest, and besides, he enjoys being peed on by Russian prostitutes.

Or maybe it was Malek. He was always incredibly full of shit.

J.OT13
Mar 22, 2023, 12:56 PM

I don't think you guys understand the "right to bare arms". Maybe this video will help. :haha:

RpeUznIhgLU

Oh yeah, I remember that one. I guess that's why I assumed it wasn't spelled "bear", but then again, I guess this clip is telling us that it is. :D

Wigs
Mar 22, 2023, 2:54 PM
as an aside I found most of the mens public bathrooms down under in Australia used trough type urinals, you certainly can see a lot more than the walled off individual urinals used here. eyes up and forward.

https://www.architectureanddesign.com.au/getattachment/278c848c-51bc-4a68-9ac4-636cca975f1e/attachment.aspx?width=0&height=0

Australian washrooms for me would be a big "nope"
https://media.giphy.com/media/N4xCVPenanVcI/giphy.gif

I'm one of those poor schmucks with what may best be described as "pee/bladder shyness". I like having the privacy of a divider at a urinal otherwise I need to use a stall.
I was fine as a kid then once puberty hit I wanted my privacy.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/22208-shy-bladder-syndrome-paruresis
Some studies suggest that up to 25% of people in the United States have some degree of paruresis. It affects people of all genders and ages, including children.

The fanciest urinal divider I've ever seen was an Italian wood fired pizza restaurant in Kitchener. They literally used large granite slabs about 5ft long as the dividers! My best friend makes fun of me that I should start a guide of washroom ratings for people with the same issue

The worst are the Letterkenny-esque guys that walk in a washroom and say "so this is where the dicks hangout, eh boys" :haha:

Wigs
Mar 22, 2023, 2:58 PM
I don't think you guys understand the "right to bare arms".

https://media.giphy.com/media/xTiTnJl5qXdEkBk9tC/giphy.gif

Wigs
Mar 22, 2023, 3:10 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/3xYwZjvZ/Screenshot-552.png

With markdowns at 5% it'll be awhile before Nordstrom liquidates inventory. It's unfortunate for the apparently 2,500 employees of Nordstrom Canada though.

Hawrylyshyn
Mar 22, 2023, 3:11 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/xTiTnJl5qXdEkBk9tC/giphy.gif

https://www.criatives.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/animal-sem-pelo-07.jpg

I raise you one: bare bear arms

Wigs
Mar 22, 2023, 3:13 PM
whoa, what kind of animal is that?

J.OT13
Mar 22, 2023, 3:15 PM
whoa, what kind of animal is that?

It's a bare... no sorry... bear. :D

acottawa
Mar 22, 2023, 3:17 PM
Shake Shack coming to Toronto

https://www.cp24.com/news/shake-shack-is-coming-to-toronto-1.6323709

manny_santos
Mar 22, 2023, 4:16 PM

I've seen this in Vancouver, specifically at Spanish Banks Beach. Except theirs is made of tile instead of stainless steel.

I went to a bar in London in my university years that had a trough as well. I can't remember which bar it was.

jonny24
Mar 22, 2023, 4:40 PM
Trough sounds great, way less aiming involved. Wouldn't mind seeing more of them

Denscity
Mar 22, 2023, 4:47 PM
I've seen this in Vancouver, specifically at Spanish Banks Beach. Except theirs is made of tile instead of stainless steel.

I went to a bar in London in my university years that had a trough as well. I can't remember which bar it was.

Pretty sure The Cambie in Vancouver still has a trough in the men’s bathroom. Have had for decades.

Coldrsx
Mar 22, 2023, 4:51 PM
Shake Shack coming to Canada with 34 locations! I love their burgers and shakes.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/shake-shack-expansion-1.6786716

theman23
Mar 22, 2023, 4:55 PM

I don't follow. The lack of public bathrooms has more to do with the growing issue of vagrancy in this country than weather, if that's what you mean. Interestingly, despite a much more pleasant climate, homelessness is a much less visible problem in Sydney.

Shake Shack coming to Canada with 34 locations! I love their burgers and shakes.

That's actually pretty exciting. I always wondered why they never had any Canadian locations, considering they've expanded to just about every other developed country on earth.

Wigs
Mar 22, 2023, 5:00 PM
I don't follow. The lack of public bathrooms has more to do with the growing issue of vagrancy in this country than weather, if that's what you mean. Interestingly, despite a much more pleasant climate, homelessness is a much less visible problem in Sydney.

Does Australia have a better social program to house and reintegrate homeless into society?

The worst homelessness I've ever seen was Downtown LA in 2019. Tents on bridges over the highways, taking up sidewalk space, and everywhere the Police let them. I'm not talking skid row either. Quite sad how many down and out folks are there.

theman23
Mar 22, 2023, 5:09 PM
No clue. Perhaps they just send them to jail or to live amongst the refugees? Either way, it makes city life a much more pleasant experience.

The picture of LA you're painting is fairly ubiquitous across North America now. Not uncommon to see things like that in the lower mainland far away from East Hastings.

acottawa
Mar 22, 2023, 5:14 PM
Does Australia have a better social program to house and reintegrate homeless into society?

The worst homelessness I've ever seen was Downtown LA in 2019. Tents on bridges over the highways, taking up sidewalk space, and everywhere the Police let them. I'm not talking skid row either. Quite sad how many down and out folks are there.

Australia has over 100k homeless.

I think homeless and homeless are allowed to occupy very high profile locations in major cities are different categories.

someone123
Mar 22, 2023, 5:24 PM
The picture of LA you're painting is fairly ubiquitous across North America now. Not uncommon to see things like that in the lower mainland far away from East Hastings.

It has varied a lot even just in Vancouver depending on the time and place. For example Oppenheimer Park used to be full of tents (and open-air flea market style drug sales), and presumably there was some public washroom demand tied to that. Last time I was by there it looked fairly normal. Did they solve the ills of society and clean out the park as a side-effect? Apparently the residents were offered housing but told they were not allowed to live in the park. One of the debates that happened was if it's OK to kick somebody out of a park without giving them free housing.

Another good saga to look at is Nelson Park: https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/courier-archive/news/potty-talk-a-win-for-west-ends-nelson-park-2969616

It does have a public washroom. I think it's 1 or 2 spaceship style stalls and it ended up costing $1.26M in 2014. The planning effort took about 8 years (they demolished the old washrooms circa 2006 and then it took them 8 years to build new ones).

IMO the macro social issues get too much attention, particularly vague ones (is late stage capitalism causing society to fall apart? are lazy drug-addled bums ruining society?), and the micro issues don't get enough attention (are community council type settings taking too long and over-engineering public toilets? are bylaws enforced?). And in general a lot of cities are not run well and have strange politics that get in the way of basic services (such as physically building toilets or apartments in a short period of time for a low cost) sometimes.

Acajack
Mar 22, 2023, 5:44 PM
I think homeless and homeless are allowed to occupy very high profile locations in major cities are different categories.

In addition to Australia, most of Europe also navigates this nuance quite well. (Depending on one's point of view of course.)

harls
Mar 22, 2023, 6:56 PM
TD Place in Ottawa still has the piss troughs, or they did last time I was there.

MolsonExport
Mar 22, 2023, 7:00 PM

cool. Great burgers and shakes.

MolsonExport
Mar 22, 2023, 7:01 PM
The piss troughs in China were....something else. Stinkiest places ever.

Don't get me started on the squat toilets.
https://data.nextshark.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/4046081085_1b3d406da8_b.jpghttps://i.redd.it/tuwx5eaf2so11.jpg

SteelTown
Mar 22, 2023, 7:12 PM
I'll never forget the time I needed to pee at Ivor Wynne stadium, which was built in 1929.

In the middle of the men's washroom was a large tin bucket filled with ice, and a bunch of guys all circled around the bucket urinating; nope, I checked out, far too uncivilized for me.

Wigs
Mar 22, 2023, 7:21 PM
I'll never forget the time I needed to pee at Ivor Wynne stadium, which was built in 1929.

In the middle of the men's washroom was a large tin bucket filled with ice, and a bunch of guys all circled around the bucket urinating; nope, I checked out, far too uncivilized for me.

"so the dicks all hangout at the circle pisser, eh?" :haha:

Djeffery
Mar 22, 2023, 7:52 PM
I remember Tiger Stadium had the troughs, which was to be expected for such an old building. The Pontiac Silverdome though? Not exactly an ancient structure, especially in 1989 when I went there. They had like described above, a trough that people pissed in from both sides, facing each other. I can only imagine what happened if you wore the other jersey there lol. I held it, as the lineup for the stalls was a mile long. We left there, my buddy was driving, somehow on the way from Pontiac to Port Huron, we ended up in Flint. Found a gas station that had a washroom and directions lol.

J.OT13
Mar 22, 2023, 7:58 PM
TD Place in Ottawa still has the piss troughs, or they did last time I was there.

They had regular urinals last time I went (though I only used one washroom), but they were quite closely spaced with no dividers.

FFS! Wrong on so many levels. I don't even see toilet paper.

MolsonExport
Mar 22, 2023, 9:25 PM
They had regular urinals last time I went (though I only used one washroom), but they were quite closely spaced with no dividers.

FFS! Wrong on so many levels. I don't even see toilet paper.

often they use corn cobs instead of TP

le calmar
Mar 22, 2023, 9:44 PM
https://i.redd.it/tuwx5eaf2so11.jpg

I love how they figured they at least needed a couple of privacy screens. So that at least people wouldn’t have someone shit right in front of them in plain view - a line you don’t want to cross.

MolsonExport
Mar 22, 2023, 10:41 PM
^ :haha:

More than once over my several trips to China, I felt my bowels moving while I was out and about. Only to stumble into the bathroom to find...yup, pit toilets with (at best) the above level of privacy (and no TP, just corn cobs). Despite my extreme discomfort, I opted to hold it until I got back to my hotel room.

Harrison
Mar 22, 2023, 11:28 PM

Power centres would make more sense in a warmer climate with Australia though (walking through a massive parking lot to a big box store in -20 is not a fun experience) and indoor malls and walkable main streets with stores close together in a colder climate, no? I don't think the climate argument is a huge reason why the difference in urban forms exist.

theman23
Mar 22, 2023, 11:50 PM
Power centres would make more sense in a warmer climate with Australia though (walking through a massive parking lot to a big box store in -20 is not a fun experience) and indoor malls and walkable main streets with stores close together in a colder climate, no? I don't think the climate argument is a huge reason why the difference in urban forms exist.

I’m not really sure what his point was TBH, but I’d agree with you. Weather doesn’t have much to do with it.

Sydney is built the way it is because it has a long history of robust commuter rail
service acting as a spine for the city and its suburbs to be built around. Less conducive to power centres than the highways and arterial roads our cities are built around.

Djeffery
Mar 23, 2023, 12:14 AM

https://data.nextshark.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/4046081085_1b3d406da8_b.jpghttps://i.redd.it/tuwx5eaf2so11.jpg

I always remember that episode of the Sopranos where they go to Italy. They are out for dinner and Pauley needs to use the washroom. He walks in and is confronted with one of these. You can see the desperation on his face as he rushes back to the hotel lol.

JHikka
Mar 23, 2023, 12:24 AM
I’m not really sure what his point was TBH, but I’d agree with you. Weather doesn’t have much to do with it.

I thought it was obvious that the US' stronger influence on Canada over Australia would impact how we build our retail to suit cars more than Australia. Perhaps Australia has just as many cars but my understanding would be that we would inherit nearly everything from the US where a lot of that influence would be filtered out in Australia. They get cars too but they maybe keep a few more rail lines or build a few more commuter lines. I don't know. I'm sure that difference bears out in urban design and city planning.

Wigs
Mar 23, 2023, 1:41 AM
Australia knows how to do retail.
Google 'Australian Kmart' and then compare that to the photos of the pathetic attempt to bring Zellers back.

One looks current, the other looks like branding and signage from 1993

Loco101
Mar 23, 2023, 3:18 AM
I'm wondering if the new Zellers will last longer than Target did in Canada.

MolsonExport
Mar 23, 2023, 12:42 PM
Hudson's Bay has been shrinking for decades. I hope it stays afloat, but I don't have high hopes. The traditional department store model is dead in North America (but alive and incredibly vibrant over in Asia).

Ozabald
Mar 23, 2023, 1:31 PM
Australia knows how to do retail.
Google 'Australian Kmart' and then compare that to the photos of the pathetic attempt to bring Zellers back.

One looks current, the other looks like branding and signage from 1993

And so does South Africa. Woolworth's or "Woolies" stores are such a delight to shop in. Clean and fresh looking; great customer service; well stocked; and the grocery and wine section are awesome.

Proof Sheet
Mar 23, 2023, 2:22 PM
Hudson's Bay has been shrinking for decades. I hope it stays afloat, but I don't have high hopes. The traditional department store model is dead in North America (but alive and incredibly vibrant over in Asia).

The vibrancy in Asia is due to the fact that the city centres are only retail and aren't diluted by residential. Haven't you learnt anything :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Martin Mtl
Mar 23, 2023, 3:49 PM
Immersive Aquarium To Open As Part Of Montreal’s Royalmount Project (https://retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2023/03/immersive-aquarium-to-open-as-part-of-montreals-royalmount-project-interviews/?fbclid=IwAR1khygNiDDLVXITcLorStxC_A_jzU_VuwyDtfQJcbtVGbl4y3MoqQNxw8o)