PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Retail Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81

mylesmalley
Jan 22, 2009, 10:08 PM
Vancouver isn't missing much.

Architype
Jan 22, 2009, 10:53 PM
Is the new Vancouver Wal Mart close enough to a skytrain station to make it practical?

Coldrsx
Jan 22, 2009, 11:01 PM
^close enough, but not beside.

someone123
Jan 23, 2009, 12:55 AM
walmart > nothing

Vancouver kinda has other stores.

And I'm not sure what poor people with giant families are doing still living in the city limits when they could sell their $800k shack and move out to Surrey. :)

trueviking
Jan 23, 2009, 5:20 AM
has it been mentioned that winnipeg is getting an ikea?....all we need is the jets back and our city will be complete.

Calgarian
Jan 23, 2009, 5:56 AM
I'm amazed there are no wal-marts in Vancouver, I thought those stores were everywhere. Do you have McDonalds there;)

Any news on how Future Shop is doing, I believe they are owned by best buy, and I hear Best Buy is in trouble. Circuit city is goin under here, there is a clearance sale at most of their stores, but they are only giving 10% off, not really worth it when the dollar is only at 79 cents US.

SpongeG
Jan 23, 2009, 10:01 AM
I'm amazed there are no wal-marts in Vancouver, I thought those stores were everywhere. Do you have McDonalds there;)

Any news on how Future Shop is doing, I believe they are owned by best buy, and I hear Best Buy is in trouble. Circuit city is goin under here, there is a clearance sale at most of their stores, but they are only giving 10% off, not really worth it when the dollar is only at 79 cents US.

Vancouver city council has been very anti-walmart

but there are walmarts in burnaby, north vancouver, new westminster, surrey, langley etc. the suburbs

people would have to drive a long way to get to one

zellers is their "competition" if you can call them that and there is only one store in the city and its usually pretty busy but its awful and ghetto inside one of the swankier malls

not many large discount stores in the city itself

MolsonExport
Jan 24, 2009, 1:42 AM
other thread is gone :shrug:

Wal-Mart makes Vancouver foray

From Herald News Services
Published: Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Retail - Wal-Mart plans to open its first Vancouver store today.

The new outlet represents the retailer's long-sought break into the Vancouver market following the very public and political rejection of a proposed development at another location in 2005.

david Cheesewright, who takes over as Ceo of Wal-Mart Canada on Feb. 1, said cracking the Vancouver market has been a tough job, even though Vancouverites make about two million shopping trips per year to its stores just outside the city.

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/calgarybusiness/story.html?id=61671c10-4ffa-4ceb-b6a7-57a49b484226

its in an old Costco store - the parking is very small - i can't imagine it will be an easy place to shop

Cheesewrong.

Sorry, Vancouver. Traffic will be horrid at that location (I used to shop at the Price Club/Costco there).

SpongeG
Jan 26, 2009, 9:03 PM
Home Depot bows out of bid for new location at Queen and Portland

Big-box retailer Home Depot has cancelled its long-held dream of a downtown store - to the delight of some local critics - but talks are already under way for other tenants for the mixed-use development at Queen and Portland streets.

"We determined it was not the right time for us to open," Home Depot manager of public relations Tiziana Baccega said yesterday. "We would have loved to have been there."

Despite Home Depot's pullout, developer RioCan Real Estate Investment is confident construction is on track for a project that features a five-storey residential component over three storeys of retail.

"We should still be able to start by late spring, pending the finalization of leasing we are working on," said Fred Waks, chief operating officer of RioCan, the largest real-estate investment trust in Canada.

"We are very pleasantly surprised as to the amount of interest we have on the site," he said. "There is not a national grocery store that has not contacted us in the last 24 hours."

He confirmed that Home Depot paid $11.5-million to terminate its lease for 75,000 square feet of space.

RioCan already has tenants for about 16,000 square feet, with a major grocery store and other retailers as candidates for the former Home Depot space. Mr. Waks expects to wrap up negotiations with new retail tenants in two to three months.

Tribute Communities, RioCan's partner for the 90-unit condominium, has sold 55 units (or 61 per cent of the project).

An early critic of Home Depot's plans for a downtown spot said yesterday she is "relieved" that a suburban-style home improvement centre is no longer in the works.

"It was the wrong end-user for that neighbourhood," said Kristyn Wong-Tam, who owns XEXE Gallery on nearby Richmond Street and lives in the area. She hopes RioCan will seek out smaller-scale retailers, including a food store and boutique-style tenants.

Councillor Adam Vaughan (Ward 20, Trinity-Spadina), worried about the chilling effects of the downturn, said "construction isn't halted and that is the most critical thing for that stretch of Queen Street."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20090123.HOMEDEPOT23/TPStory/National

Coldrsx
Jan 26, 2009, 9:19 PM
Vancouver kinda has other stores.

And I'm not sure what poor people with giant families are doing still living in the city limits when they could sell their $800k shack and move out to Surrey. :)

yes, that sounds appealing

Nicko999
Jan 26, 2009, 10:59 PM

Wal-Mart makes Vancouver foray

From Herald News Services
Published: Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Retail - Wal-Mart plans to open its first Vancouver store today.

The new outlet represents the retailer's long-sought break into the Vancouver market following the very public and political rejection of a proposed development at another location in 2005.

david Cheesewright, who takes over as Ceo of Wal-Mart Canada on Feb. 1, said cracking the Vancouver market has been a tough job, even though Vancouverites make about two million shopping trips per year to its stores just outside the city.

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/calgarybusiness/story.html?id=61671c10-4ffa-4ceb-b6a7-57a49b484226

its in an old Costco store - the parking is very small - i can't imagine it will be an easy place to shop

Vancouver didn't have Wal-Mart before that?:sly:
Even small cities in Ontario or Quebec have a Wal-Mart so it's hard to beleive.

Coldrsx
Jan 26, 2009, 11:08 PM
^some people have values

SpongeG
Jan 26, 2009, 11:10 PM
the suburbs had walmart but the city itself never did

its been crazy everytime i have passed it - street parking is all there seems to be open

waterloowarrior
Jan 26, 2009, 11:10 PM

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=77682&page=75

mods can you merge the threads

kirjtc2
Jan 26, 2009, 11:16 PM
Vancouver didn't have Wal-Mart before that?:sly:
Even small cities in Ontario or Quebec have a Wal-Mart so it's hard to beleive.

There are small towns (like, 4000 people) in the Maritimes that have a Wal-Mart.

It's the same in the US...Wal-Mart built itself up on the towns, small cities and suburbs but didn't try to crack the big cities until recently.

Jimby
Jan 27, 2009, 1:30 AM
Ottawa is getting a new IKEA that will be Canada's largest.

SpongeG
Jan 27, 2009, 1:39 AM
they just said winnipegs was going to be the largest and they are making a larger one?

lol

ErickMontreal
Feb 3, 2009, 12:28 AM
Montreal : Forever 21 takes flight at Les Ailes
L.A.-based retailer to open here; 'These guys are on fire, they're one of the hottest retail brands in the U.S. right now'

http://www.bestplacesexplorer.com/images/forever21vivo1.jpg

By MIKE KING, The GazetteJanuary 20, 2009
Forever 21 operates this store at the West Edmonton Mall.
Photograph by: BRUCE EDWARDS, CANWEST NEWS SERVICE, The Gazette

Montrealers' sense of style could be the city's saving grace during the current economic crunch, commercial real estate and retail experts suggested yesterday.

Top names in the clothing business have set up shop around town or will be moving here this year.

"Montreal is a very desirable and vibrant city for retailers," Jeff Berkowitz, president of Aurora Realty Consultants Inc., said yesterday. "There's a lot of growth potential despite the economy."

In March, one of Berkowitz's clients, Los Angeles-based Forever 21, is taking possession of the prime Ste. Catherine St. location of the former Archambault music store as well as an adjoining space on the métro level in Complexe Les Ailes.

Johanne Marcotte, general manager of Complexe Les Ailes, confirmed the "excellent news" about Forever 21 and added: "We will help them open as soon as possible."

"These guys are on fire, they're one of the hottest retail brands in the U.S. right now," Berkowitz said of the California company that sells what it advertises as "cheap, fun and fast apparel and accessories aimed at teens and college kids."

Forever 21's 18,000- to 19,000-square-foot Complexe Les Ailes location in the heart of downtown is expected to open in time for this year's back to school rush.

Another store will open in the Champlain Mall in Brossard by the end of the year.

And in the spring of 2010, the company is taking over the three-floor, 30,000-square-foot Gap store location at the corner of Ste. Catherine and de la Montagne, Berkowitz said.

The private retailer operates more than 400 mainly mall-based stores in the United States and Canada, including two existing locations in Ontario and one at the West Edmonton Mall.

He said he puts Forever 21, "one of the top performers in retail the past two years," in the same category as two popular international players that recently arrived here - Zara of Spain and H&M of Sweden.

The three retailers are known for quickly getting inexpensively priced, ripped-from-the-runway fashions on their sales floors.

Gilles Fortin, owner of the Tristan & America chain, said there is "definitely a trend" of all the fashion firms wanting to be in Montreal, especially on Ste. Catherine, which he describes as one of the busiest streets in North America for retail.

"We were about two years behind Toronto (in attracting U.S. fashion retailers) because of certain fears about (French) signage, but with the arrival of Forever 21, the big international players are almost all here now," Fortin said.

Louis Burgos, senior vice-president for Quebec at property management firm Cushman & Wakefield LePage, acknowledged the economy is more stable here than south of the border, adding that "Quebecers have always been very fashion conscious and spend more disposable income on clothes" than elsewhere.

Nathalie Verge, vice-president of operations for the Retail Council of Quebec, said the group's survey found Montrealers spent 9.4 per cent of their disposable income on clothes last year - more than 50 per cent more than the Canadian average per population.

mking@thegazette.canwest.com

For more information, visit www.forever21.com
© Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette

SpongeG
Feb 3, 2009, 1:56 AM
wow thats some big stores

they are nuts down in the states

sort of like H&M - the bigger stores have mens stuff now

ErickMontreal
Feb 3, 2009, 7:59 PM
Lowe's and Ikea plan more growth in Canada

http://www.fewmorethings.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/ikea-1.jpg

The Canadian Press
February 3, 2009 at 12:04 PM EST

TORONTO — Ikea and Lowe's are moving ahead with plans to boost their presence in Canada on hopes that a federal tax credit for home improvement projects will send shoppers rushing into their stores.

Furniture and home decor retailer Ikea Canada said Tuesday that it's planning a “major expansion” in Winnipeg and Ottawa, while also rebuilding showrooms in other parts of the country.

The Swedish company didn't say in its announcement how many stores it planned to open or rebuild.

Meanwhile, Lowe's Companies says that three more of its home-improvement stores will be added to its roster in the Toronto area by the end of the second quarter.

The U.S. company opened its first stores in Canada last year, and has 11 existing locations.

The expansion decisions come in the wake of a plan in the proposed federal budget last week which would give Canadians as much as $1,350 in tax relief on home improvement projects.

The renovations must be worth at least $1,000, but not more than $10,000, and must take place between Jan. 27 and Feb. 1, 2010.

“We believe in the vitality of the Canadian market and we have every indication that Canadians are still interested in investing in their homes, particularly with projects like new kitchens,” said Ikea Canada president Kerri Molinaro in a release.

Coldrsx
Feb 3, 2009, 8:10 PM
Good to see Montreal catching up with Edmonton and getting a forever 21...

SpongeG
Feb 4, 2009, 1:40 AM
at least they mention Edmonton this time

when it opened intoronto they said it was Canada's first store and never even mentioned the store that had been in edmonton a couple of years

Doug_Cgy
Feb 4, 2009, 1:47 AM
Calgary is getting Forever 21 in Crossiron Mills too...I'm quite excited about Bath & Body Works opening up there as well:banana:

deasine
Feb 4, 2009, 8:14 AM
Opened a while, but I found Vancouver's Hollister really weird. I mean it's just like any Hollister in America, but they mirrored the configuration: Dudes on right, Bettys on left. Is it like that for the Edmonton & Toronto locations?

MolsonExport
Feb 4, 2009, 2:01 PM
I'm quite excited about Bath & Body Works opening up there as well:banana:

:haha: sorry, just had to laugh.
whatever floats your boat

MolsonExport
Feb 4, 2009, 2:02 PM
I was at the Beer store the other day, and guess what? They were selling Toronto Maple Leaf's Window Scrapers. No Joke.

kirjtc2
Feb 4, 2009, 3:24 PM
The Moncton Times and Transcript had a story today about the possibility of Ikea coming to that city. I won't link it because it's so ridiculous.

Keep dreaming, Moncton...one day you may get an NHL team too.

MolsonExport
Feb 4, 2009, 5:56 PM
MLB and the NFL have been covetously eyeing the Moncton market for quite some time.

michael_d40
Feb 4, 2009, 6:29 PM
MLB and the NFL have been covetously eyeing the Moncton market for quite some time.

Because all they do there is whine and cry. Its kinda sad. All they are doing is throwing them a bone to shut them up for a bit for they can actually deal with more important things.

I agree with kirjtc2... Keep dreaming Moncton. Like I've said before.
for example: Most of Greater Saint John dont even listen to them anymore. Yes. in the 90's SJ was a complete dump with no shopping, concerts or anything, or even decent airfares. None of that applies anymore to Saint John. Yet that fail to understand they are no longer the perfect place with everything with a cherry on top. They are so full of it. Its beyond comprehension.

*End Rant* lol

ErickMontreal
Feb 4, 2009, 6:47 PM
The Moncton Times and Transcript had a story today about the possibility of Ikea coming to that city. I won't link it because it's so ridiculous.

Keep dreaming, Moncton...one day you may get an NHL team too.

Acadie Nouvelle, the only independant and decent newpaper in that province pointed out there will be no Ikea in town or elsewhere in Atlantic !

I guess they will set up shop in Quebec city, a place 10 time larger than anything else in NB.

SpongeG
Feb 4, 2009, 11:16 PM
Opened a while, but I found Vancouver's Hollister really weird. I mean it's just like any Hollister in America, but they mirrored the configuration: Dudes on right, Bettys on left. Is it like that for the Edmonton & Toronto locations?

i have been to ones in the states that are laid out this way

the bellis fair is the opposite but all stores are one variation or the other

SpongeG
Feb 4, 2009, 11:18 PM
Calgary is getting Forever 21 in Crossiron Mills too...I'm quite excited about Bath & Body Works opening up there as well:banana:

i love bath & body works :banana:

one day maybe if dreams come true they will open in vancouver :slob: :haha:

hate wasting my $50 allowance on their stuff in bellingham

Jay in Cowtown
Feb 5, 2009, 1:42 AM

I can't say I give a rats ass... but my wife is excited!

Once Cross Iron opens in Balzac, I'll probably never enter inside another Calgary mall and their shitty outdated stores again!

Doug_Cgy
Feb 5, 2009, 4:39 AM

one day maybe if dreams come true they will open in vancouver :slob: :haha:

hate wasting my $50 allowance on their stuff in bellingham

I'm glad someone else here appreciates the allure of Bath & Body Works too...Everything smells so damn good!!:cool:

Coldrsx
Feb 5, 2009, 5:42 AM
I can't say I give a rats ass... but my wife is excited!

Once Cross Iron opens in Balzac, I'll probably never enter inside another Calgary mall and their shitty outdated stores again!

outdated shit to "updated" diarrhea, well played.:yuck:

Doug_Cgy
Feb 5, 2009, 5:58 AM
outdated shit to "updated" diarrhea, well played.:yuck:

While Crossiron Mills might not be the poster child of smart development...I'm actually quite excited for it.

Plus15
Feb 5, 2009, 2:39 PM
CrossIron Mills has a surprisingly impressive roster of shops, IMO. Some of the bigger names opening up, as per the most recent lease plan:

Banana Republic Factory Store
Bed, Bath and Beyond
Forever 21
Bath & Body Works
Lacoste
COACH
Holt Renfrew Last Call
Tommy Bahama
Skechers
OAKLEY
Miss Sixty
Calvin Klein
Marciano
Geox
Fossil
Bebe
Aeropostale
FCUK
Lucky Brand Jeans
PUMA
Ron Jon Surf Shop
BCBG Max Azria
Sisley
American Apparel
Godiva Chocolatier
H&M
Indigo Books

MolsonExport
Feb 5, 2009, 3:48 PM
FCUK: Fuck, that store name bothers me.

wild wild west
Feb 5, 2009, 3:59 PM
they just said winnipegs was going to be the largest and they are making a larger one?

lol

Honestly most of the new IKEAs are around the same size, ~300,000 or so square feet. Calgary and Edmonton's recently-built IKEAs were said to be the biggest in Canada at the time, but were more or less the same square footage as other recent Canadian stores such as Burlington. Winnipeg's will probably be slightly larger than these. In Ottawa's case, their current IKEA in West Ottawa is a fraction the size of others in Canada so that city is badly in need of a new store.

Re: Crossiron, the nastiness apparently knows no bounds...last I saw they were installing pink and blue stucco squares on the exterior. Good retail mix though!

Coldrsx
Feb 5, 2009, 4:03 PM
CrossIron Mills has a surprisingly impressive roster of shops, IMO. Some of the bigger names opening up, as per the most recent lease plan:

Banana Republic Factory Store
Bed, Bath and Beyond
Forever 21
Bath & Body Works
Lacoste
COACH
Holt Renfrew Last Call
Tommy Bahama
Skechers
OAKLEY
Miss Sixty
Calvin Klein
Marciano
Geox
Fossil
Bebe
Aeropostale
FCUK
Lucky Brand Jeans
PUMA
Ron Jon Surf Shop
BCBG Max Azria
Sisley
American Apparel
Godiva Chocolatier
H&M
Indigo Books

All stores that should have been in better malls within the city... I cannot believe anyone can support Crossiron

wild wild west
Feb 5, 2009, 4:09 PM
Here's a picture and story on the antithesis of CrossIron Mills, the Core renovations which are coming along nicely. Gives a good idea of how massive that new skylight will be. It will be surreal walking down that main concourse will 40 and 50-storey skyscrapers looming above you.:tup:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Brooks+Brothers+adds+fashion+punch+Core/1255709/story.html

harls
Feb 5, 2009, 4:17 PM
Apple Store coming to Ottawa..

http://www.ifoapplestore.com/db/

The first new Apple store locations for 2009 have been identified, and they’re beyond the United States borders. First, the long-delayed Churchill Square (Brighton, UK) store project is once more underway. Job listings for the store were posted back in early 2007, but for some reason the store never opened. Second, Apple will remedy an obvious oversight by locating a store at the Rideau Centre in the capital city of Ottawa. The four-level, downtown mall has just 80 stores, but it’s within blocks of iconic Parliament Hill. Both stores could open by late summer.

Wooster
Feb 5, 2009, 4:18 PM
Further to that:

I'll just post the Pic of skylight construction:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/joshwhit/1255710.jpg

Also a shot from the designer of the Holt Renfrew - construction
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/joshwhit/holtconstr.jpg

Interior Rendering:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/joshwhit/holtren.jpg

Exterior:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/joshwhit/holtext.jpg

Coldrsx
Feb 5, 2009, 4:20 PM
^now that is wicked... simple, modern, hot.

Plus15
Feb 5, 2009, 4:27 PM
All stores that should have been in better malls within the city... I cannot believe anyone can support Crossiron

Um, no, almost all of those stores are of the Outlet variety. They aren't flagship stores by any means. And most of them WILL be in better, non-outlet malls as soon as space is available. Speaking of flagships, Brooks Brothers just announced a 20,000 square foot location at the new Core centre. Zara, H&M and Aritzia will also be locating there.

Jay in Cowtown
Feb 5, 2009, 6:37 PM
I cannot believe anyone can support Crossiron

Why? because it's not "TOD" friendly... it will be nice and convenient for those of us bastards that live in surrounding towns or outter suburbs that enjoy our comfortable SUV's with heated seats driving to a mall that won't be a traffic nightmare to get to.

Coldrsx
Feb 5, 2009, 6:39 PM
^just you wait about your 'no traffic nightmare' prognostication.

You Need A Thneed
Feb 5, 2009, 7:11 PM
^just you wait about your 'no traffic nightmare' prognostication.

Yup. If that mall is busy, it's going to be a nightmare to get out of. The bridge over HWY 2 is only one lane in each direction, and that will be the only reasonable way to get back into Calgary, or anywhere from the mall.

Bath & Body Works
Better not tell my wife, we'll have to go to Cross Iron Mills all the time. She'll find out sooner or later though, anyway.

mersar
Feb 5, 2009, 7:40 PM
Yup. If that mall is busy, it's going to be a nightmare to get out of. The bridge over HWY 2 is only one lane in each direction, and that will be the only reasonable way to get back into Calgary, or anywhere from the mall.

The bridge will be only 1 lane each way for only a little while longer. Part of the developers obligations include widening the bridge, the prep work for it was completed last fall so hopefully its underway in the spring. There should also be a secondary route from the east side that will let you get to Metis Trail once it opens to 144th Ave this fall.

Doug_Cgy
Feb 5, 2009, 7:41 PM
Um, no, almost all of those stores are of the Outlet variety. They aren't flagship stores by any means. And most of them WILL be in better, non-outlet malls as soon as space is available. Speaking of flagships, Brooks Brothers just announced a 20,000 square foot location at the new Core centre. Zara, H&M and Aritzia will also be locating there.

WOW...Those will be some great additions to have in the Core!!! Was there a release, or is this all from their website?

mersar
Feb 5, 2009, 7:57 PM
WOW...Those will be some great additions to have in the Core!!! Was there a release, or is this all from their website?

Story in the Herald today (http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Brooks+Brothers+adds+fashion+punch+Core/1255709/story.html)

Plus15
Feb 5, 2009, 10:42 PM
RE: Core in Calgary:

Banana Republic and Gap are also being relocated to make way for the new location of Harry Rosen - it will be interesting to see if Banana Republic expands into a true flagship location.

SpongeG
Feb 10, 2009, 11:18 PM
nice calgary is becoming a shopping mecca

vancouver is nothing these days

Coldrsx
Feb 10, 2009, 11:22 PM
^one of the most absurd statements of comparison in a while.

Doug_Cgy
Feb 10, 2009, 11:23 PM

Whats with your hate on for Calgary Homeslice??;)

SpongeG
Feb 10, 2009, 11:27 PM

we don't have crate and barrel, we don't have sephora, we don't have forever 21, we don't have holt renfrew last call, we don't have Sisley - a store i loved in europe, plus most of that list is missing from Vancouver's retail scene

Coldrsx
Feb 10, 2009, 11:30 PM
^^ it isnt as much a hate on for calgary as a hate on for incorrect statements.

sponge - maybe walk west 4th, south granville, gastown, north commercial, robson, etc. etc.

vancouver has most of everything and far far more interesting and unique retail outlets.

hell, west edmonton mall has many stores most cities dont have... but i wouldnt call edmonton a 'shopping mecca'

Doug_Cgy
Feb 10, 2009, 11:50 PM

sponge - maybe walk west 4th, south granville, gastown, north commercial, robson, etc. etc.

vancouver has most of everything and far far more interesting and unique retail outlets.

hell, west edmonton mall has many stores most cities dont have... but i wouldnt call edmonton a 'shopping mecca'

Fair enough...However, what you consider to be good shopping might not be what everyone else does!! I'd kill to have some of the stores West Edmonton Mall has. Just because these stores don't necessarily represent great urban planning, and often work against the "mom & pop" stores...doesn't mean everyone should just stop going to them (they're a HUGE part of our society).

Like I said before, and I'll say it again...despite the fact I don't like the insane sprawl that projects like Crossiron Mills create, I do like the stores they will have to offer, so I will go there.

SpongeG
Feb 11, 2009, 12:20 AM

i shop every where

i happen to like the US retailers as they have better prices than overly priced west 4th or robson

I am more into chains than unique in my old age

LeftCoaster
Feb 11, 2009, 12:57 AM
we don't have crate and barrel, we don't have sephora, we don't have forever 21, we don't have holt renfrew last call, we don't have Sisley - a store i loved in europe, plus most of that list is missing from Vancouver's retail scene

You are concerned we dont have a sephora? What are you doing on your weekends Sponge? :haha:

Maybe you could do some research into the stores Vancouver has which Calgary doesnt, you might be surprised...

SpongeG
Feb 11, 2009, 3:31 AM
I love sephora - its like a little slice of cologne heaven without pushy asians - that store on robson - shifeon - is so annoying they won't stop harrassing you once you set foot in the door

and the snobby people at holt renfrew won't even look at let alone help you

at least at sephora you can test colognes and products while be left alone

Coldrsx
Feb 11, 2009, 5:06 PM
You are concerned we dont have a sephora? What are you doing on your weekends Sponge? :haha:

Maybe you could do some research into the stores Vancouver has which Calgary doesnt, you might be surprised...

haha

and

bingo

SpongeG
Feb 11, 2009, 11:08 PM
i didn't say calgary had better shopping

i just said its becoming a mecca now

it was clearly lacking before and all of a sudden wham its getting good

Doug_Cgy
Feb 11, 2009, 11:21 PM
i didn't say calgary had better shopping

i just said its becoming a mecca now

it was clearly lacking before and all of a sudden wham its getting good

Thanks Sponge!! I agree, while Calgary still has a few areas to improve on...The shopping scene is really picking up here!! I find it refreshing that someone from the outside can recognize that, and not just hate on us because it seems to be "the cool thing to do" :cheers:

LeftCoaster
Feb 11, 2009, 11:39 PM
Who was hating on Calgary?

SpongeG I have a feeling everything you require to be defined a shpping mecca could be found a subruban Duluth shopping mall.

kirjtc2
Feb 11, 2009, 11:46 PM

SpongeG I have a feeling everything you require to be defined a shpping mecca could be found a subruban Duluth shopping mall.

Hasn't stopped Moncton from calling itself that.

miketoronto
Feb 11, 2009, 11:53 PM
Calgary will never become a great metropolitan city if the city is excited about a mall opening up on the outskirts that has stores you can find in every single mall in every single city in the world or atleast North America.

Calgary should be putting focus on it's downtown retail and making a great urban shopping district like Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver have.

blake10
Feb 12, 2009, 12:33 AM
Calgary will never become a great metropolitan city if the city is excited about a mall opening up on the outskirts that has stores you can find in every single mall in every single city in the world or atleast North America.

Calgary should be putting focus on it's downtown retail and making a great urban shopping district like Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver have.

Well, many of us actually like these "malls with stores you can find in every single mall in every single city in the world". I am not going to waste my time driving downtown, dealing with parking etc just to visit "unique" (aka: overpriced) stores. I'd much rather drive to a nice big mall with a big parking lot which has everything under one roof. I'm very excited about this new development taking place in Calgary.

Doug_Cgy
Feb 12, 2009, 12:37 AM

Hmmm...So the Core reno's won't breathe life into our downtown?? Fashion Central, and the revitalization of Stephen Avenue is all just a dream?? 1st Street Southwest transformation with new retailers, and existing areas such as 17th & Kensington mean nothing as well?? Calgary is doing alot to bring people to the core. I'm not say we can't make improvments, and I don't think anyone is excited about the "mills" concept...Just a few of the "first to Calgary" stores it will bring. Trust me I (and I'm sure many others) would rather have the stores downtown!!

miketoronto
Feb 12, 2009, 12:53 AM
Calgary has to decide what it wants. Because they can't keep trying to fix the downtown core and then allow all these malls on the outskirts that just will suck life from downtown. The city has to decide what it wants.

Jay in Cowtown
Feb 12, 2009, 12:54 AM
Well, many of us actually like these "malls with stores you can find in every single mall in every single city in the world". I am not going to waste my time driving downtown, dealing with parking etc just to visit "unique" (aka: overpriced) stores. I'd much rather drive to a nice big mall with a big parking lot which has everything under one roof. I'm very excited about this new development taking place in Calgary.

Thank you!

Some of us like 3500sq ft houses in the burbs, gas guzzling SUV's and weekend shopping at malls filled with stores like Lucky Brand and Bed, Bath & Beyond without having to ride a fucking train or battle traffic to get there.

SpongeG
Feb 12, 2009, 12:58 AM

no

bellingham does though ;)

miketoronto
Feb 12, 2009, 1:17 AM
Thank you!

Some of us like 3500sq ft houses in the burbs, gas guzzling SUV's and weekend shopping at malls filled with stores like Lucky Brand and Bed, Bath & Beyond without having to ride a fucking train or battle traffic to get there.

From what I have heard there is no traffic going into downtown Calgary on weekends, because everyone is at the suburban malls. So the traffic is not an issue.

If Calgary to build up a vibrant core and be at some level a big city on par with Vancouver and other large Canadian cities, than the core must be built up more at some expense of suburbs.

A Mills mall is really nothing to celebrate. Does not make Calgary any better of a city. And just increases the sterotype of Calgary as a giant suburb with skyscrapers.

If the city is serious about making an exciting and vibrant core, than there is going to have to be some restrictions on the suburbs. Put the stores going into the Mills mall into downtown.

brentwood
Feb 12, 2009, 1:25 AM
Actually, the Crossiron Mills mall is outside the city of Calgary's boundaries. The city has no more control over it than the city of Toronto had over the Vaughn Mills mall being built.

Jay in Cowtown
Feb 12, 2009, 1:35 AM
Actually, the Crossiron Mills mall is outside the city of Calgary's boundaries. The city has no more control over it than the city of Toronto had over the Vaughn Mills mall being built.

Besides that, Calgary is doing just fine at making downtown more vibrant and livable... I'm sure if you were to shrink Toronto down from 5 mill to 1 mill it's core would have about as much "vibrancy" as Cowtown has.

The only thing Crossiron is going to do is take away the congestion that already exists at the rest of Calgary's suburban malls.

I hope like hell another mall is built on the west side of Calgary around Springbank soon!

miketoronto
Feb 12, 2009, 2:03 AM
Considering the size of Greater Calgary its downtown/inner city should be just below Vancouver in terms of vibrancy and offerings. But it is much smaller and this has to do with the fact that the city followed much more suburbanization and malls like Crossiron.

SpongeG
Feb 12, 2009, 2:22 AM
I wouldn't call downtown Vancouver vibrant

haven't been in downtown Calgary since the 80's so can't really compare

shopping malls go where people want em or are willing to go and downtown is scary to a lot of of folks - i know for myself parking is a pain in downtown vancouver, its way too expensive and limited - rather park for free in the suburbs

LeftCoaster
Feb 12, 2009, 2:24 AM
This promises to be a good one! :lockd:

Doug_Cgy
Feb 12, 2009, 2:26 AM
Considering the size of Greater Calgary its downtown/inner city should be just below Vancouver in terms of vibrancy and offerings. But it is much smaller and this has to do with the fact that the city followed much more suburbanization and malls like Crossiron.

The GVRD has about 1 - 1.5 million more people than us too. We're a young city, and I stand behind my statements that ALOT is being done in our CBD and surrounding areas to increase the vibrancy. 5 years from now when alot of these projects finish, it will be a different story. Also, while we might not have the crowds of Vancouver/Toronto on weekends, it is increasing with every passing year. If Crossiron is the nail in our coffin, why does it differ for Vaughn Mills in T.O and to a lesser extent Metrotown in Vancouver?? Aren't those "core killers"???

SpongeG
Feb 12, 2009, 2:36 AM
Great American Cookies to expand into Canada

Great American Cookies, a USA based cookie retail franchise, has signed a Master Franchise agreement for Canada. Cam Inglis has signed the Master Franchise agreement with the company, which will see 40 outlets open in Canada within 10 years. Great American Cookies, which is owned by NexCen Brands, was founded in 1977 and has outlets across the US.

Kenneth Hall, NexCen Brands CEO, said: "We believe this new development agreement for Great American Cookies in Canada demonstrates the broad strength of this brand and more generally our ability to expand the international reach of all our franchise brands."

http://www.franchise-net.com/DE/International-news/E11396.htm?b=1

blake10
Feb 12, 2009, 5:52 AM
Thank you!

:tup:

I am also looking forward to the Ikea development here in SW Winnipeg (includes Ikea and 3 other "un-named" US big-box stores that apparently we don't yet have here in Winnipeg, smaller retailers, possible condos and possible office units). The only problem is that this city's answer to every traffic problem is more traffic lights and that is the last thing we need in this part of the city.

When is the Calgary mall opening? I was at Katy Mills Mall (near Houston) a few years ago and it was great!

mersar
Feb 12, 2009, 5:55 AM
When is the Calgary mall opening? I was at Katy Mills Mall (near Houston) a few years ago and it was great!

Bass Pro opens in April and the rest of the mall in August.

Denscity
Feb 12, 2009, 11:06 AM
I wouldn't call downtown Vancouver vibrant

haven't been in downtown Calgary since the 80's so can't really compare

shopping malls go where people want em or are willing to go and downtown is scary to a lot of of folks - i know for myself parking is a pain in downtown vancouver, its way too expensive and limited - rather park for free in the suburbs

Thats the point. You're not supposed to drive downtown. Leave your car in the suburbs.

miketoronto
Feb 12, 2009, 2:52 PM
The GVRD has about 1 - 1.5 million more people than us too. We're a young city, and I stand behind my statements that ALOT is being done in our CBD and surrounding areas to increase the vibrancy. 5 years from now when alot of these projects finish, it will be a different story. Also, while we might not have the crowds of Vancouver/Toronto on weekends, it is increasing with every passing year. If Crossiron is the nail in our coffin, why does it differ for Vaughn Mills in T.O and to a lesser extent Metrotown in Vancouver?? Aren't those "core killers"???

Mills Corp builds their malls in locations to max the killing effect on other area malls and downtowns. Vaughan Malls was built where it is, because Mills Corp thought it was equal distance from most regional malls and downtown Toronto, and that people would stop going to their regional mall or downtown and drive up to Vaughan Mills.
Lucky for us, that has not seemed to happen. In fact Vaughan Mills is in many ways a flop. I have talked to very few GTA residents who actually like Vaughan Mills, and most would not even go back, as it really is just the same stores you have in your local mall. People don't the design, and transit access is the worst in the GTA.

wild wild west
Feb 12, 2009, 3:56 PM
The Mills will bring some eagerly anticipated new retailers to Calgary (in some cases, first outlets in Western Canada) and that is good news. However the real excitement will come when The Core opens. I expect the Mills will draw the Chinook Centre/Deerfoot Meadows crowd, rather than those who would be prone to shopping downtown.

I certainly shouldn't need to defend our downtown core to someone who has never even been here...this city has really started to embrace urban living as can quite clearly be seen by the tremendous growth in downtown residential development in recent years. We have what I consider to be a very strong downtown for a population of 1.2 million (and its only getting better), augmented by North America's most successful LRT system. And as has already been mentioned, the Mills is being built in a rural district outside Calgary, so it's not like Council had a choice in its approval (and indeed, did everything they could to prevent Mills from tapping into our utilities).

Anyways, why do we bother debating with Miketoronto? He hasn't even been here so his arguments are based on heresay and preconceptions.

WhipperSnapper
Feb 12, 2009, 4:29 PM
Mills Corp builds their malls in locations to max the killing effect on other area malls and downtowns. Vaughan Malls was built where it is, because Mills Corp thought it was equal distance from most regional malls and downtown Toronto, and that people would stop going to their regional mall or downtown and drive up to Vaughan Mills.
Lucky for us, that has not seemed to happen. In fact Vaughan Mills is in many ways a flop. I have talked to very few GTA residents who actually like Vaughan Mills, and most would not even go back, as it really is just the same stores you have in your local mall. People don't the design, and transit access is the worst in the GTA.

Where do you come up with this bullshit

It's Ivanhoe Cambridge. It's location is in close proximity to the future Vaughan City Centre and the future subway. It's central to one of the fastest growing suburbs in the GTA. It's hardly a flop to those in the community. It's still better than the big box hell further south. (of a scale I doubt exists anywhere else in Canada)

SpongeG
Feb 12, 2009, 8:46 PM
remember we are talking about SHOPPING not nightlife, street life etc but Shopping

malls are made for the purpose of shopping

If I and I know others here want to shop a mall is the best place to do that - easy access, easy parking, all the shops in one place get in get what you want and get out

If I want to just wander and walk around than perhaps downtown fits that bill as there is more variety and such

SpongeG
Feb 12, 2009, 8:48 PM
Thats the point. You're not supposed to drive downtown. Leave your car in the suburbs.

i don't like to lug bags and crap with me all over downtown so I don't like to shop there

i will wander around and hang out downtown but if i am "shopping" i like to get in get out and get doing something else - a mall is great for that

Vancouver has the bonus of the west end where loads of shoppers are only minutes away

SpongeG
Feb 16, 2009, 10:53 PM
Pottery Barn Kids opens in Vancouver on South Granville - february 21

Sephora is opening 3 stores in the area
Coquitlam Centre - july
Pacific Centre - July
Metrotown - October

H&M is opening 2 more stores - Grandview Corners (South Surrey) and Metrotown

Plus15
Feb 26, 2009, 3:21 PM
Newest lease plan for Crossiron Mills shows that Brooks Brothers will also be opening an outlet store there...in addition to the flagship downtown location.

waterloowarrior
Feb 26, 2009, 11:13 PM
Wal-Mart closing Ontario Sam's Club stores
Article Comments (17)
The Canadian Press
February 26, 2009 at 4:20 PM EST
Wal-Mart Canada Corp. is closing its six Ontario Sam's Club stores next month.

The company says it will try to minimize job losses among the 1,200 employees at the stores by holding internal job fairs to help workers find jobs at existing Wal-Mart stores.

The retailer also says it plans 26 new Wal-Mart super centres this year in Canada, including expansions of existing stores, relocations and new stores.

The company says the super centre expansion is expected to created 5,000 new store jobs as well as 5,000 construction jobs.

The additions will bring the total number of Canadian super centres to 82 and Wal-Mart Canada's over-all store count to 316 by the end of the year.

Coldrsx
Feb 27, 2009, 4:37 PM
Wal-Mart closing Ontario Sam's Club stores
Article Comments (17)
The Canadian Press
February 26, 2009 at 4:20 PM EST
Wal-Mart Canada Corp. is closing its six Ontario Sam's Club stores next month.

The company says it will try to minimize job losses among the 1,200 employees at the stores by holding internal job fairs to help workers find jobs at existing Wal-Mart stores.

The retailer also says it plans 26 new Wal-Mart super centres this year in Canada, including expansions of existing stores, relocations and new stores.

The company says the super centre expansion is expected to created 5,000 new store jobs as well as 5,000 construction jobs.

The additions will bring the total number of Canadian super centres to 82 and Wal-Mart Canada's over-all store count to 316 by the end of the year.

yay WALMART, please indoctrinate us all with you 'rolling back prices'

SpongeG
Mar 1, 2009, 12:22 AM
what did they sell at sams club anyway? never seen one in the west

mersar
Mar 1, 2009, 12:25 AM
what did they sell at sams club anyway? never seen one in the west

Sams Club was essentially the same idea as Costco is, membership only, warehouse style big box store.

manny_santos
Mar 1, 2009, 4:46 AM
Sams Club was essentially the same idea as Costco is, membership only, warehouse style big box store.

Echoing what I wrote on the Ontario forum...

I feel bad for the employees there. One friend of mine works at the London store. My neighbour used to work there as well.

I never liked the store itself though. They wouldn't let you in if you weren't a "member". I think it's a dumb business model and notwithstanding the employees out of work, I'm glad to see it gone. It would be nice to actually see what the store is all about without being harassed about needing a membership card to get in. I'm sure the attitude there has hurt Costco too, because after my experience with Sam's Club I never even bothered trying Costco thinking it was all the same. Sam's Club was pretty unwelcoming, and I'm sure that hurt their sales.

I hope Lowe's moves in there. I'm against big-box retailing, but now that the building is there it should be put to good use.

mersar
Mar 1, 2009, 6:44 AM
I'm sure the attitude there has hurt Costco too, because after my experience with Sam's Club I never even bothered trying Costco thinking it was all the same. Sam's Club was pretty unwelcoming, and I'm sure that hurt their sales.

Yeah, it may have. Personally I prefer the Real Canadian Wholesale Club stores (owned by the same parent as Superstore), not as wide a selection as Costco has but no membership. My dad used them almost exclusively when he ran his own bakery in the 90's, they slowly shifted to be more consumer rather then business targeted but still carried everything the businesses wanted as well. It isn't too uncommon to be stuck in line at the checkout with a restaurant owner with a couple hundred dollars in meat, produce and other supplies, and a east Indian family with two or three carts of food along with my dad and his cart with 800lbs of bags of flour and other ingredients he needed. The concept of buying in lots of stuff in bulk being cheaper is one thing that I learned quickly from going shopping there, especially obvious with the larger families you'd often see.

Rathgrith
Mar 1, 2009, 6:25 PM
Pottery Barn Kids

That sounds like an oxymoron. I wonder if kids get to touch the stuff in the store?

SpongeG
Mar 1, 2009, 9:13 PM
when we were there kids were literally jumping on the beds so yeah they can touch anything

its pretty kid friendly but they are rich kids so they know how to behave

seriously a tiny stuffed doll was like $40

Rathgrith
Mar 2, 2009, 12:45 AM
So I guess its all over priced crap that no body really needs and assembled by child labour. That reminds me of The Onion video for Gap. "Made for kids by Kids!" Bahahaha

Doug_Cgy
Mar 6, 2009, 10:44 PM
Article from todays Calgary Herald:

Dutch premium carmaker enters Calgary market, chooses dealer

By Mario Toneguzzi, Calgary HeraldMarch 6, 2009

Spyker Cars, the Dutch manufacturer of exclusive premium sports cars, has chosen the Dilawri Group of Companies as its first exclusive Spyker dealer in Calgary and in Canada.

The appointment of Spyker of Calgary marks Spyker’s expansion of the North American sales and distribution into Canada. The company has 16 dealers in North America and 34 worldwide.

Dilawri will feature Spyker at the 2009 Calgary International Auto & Truck Show from March 11 to 15 at Stampede Park. Two Spykers will be on display: the Spyker C8 Spyder and C8 Laviolette.

The C8 Spyder, convertible, has a base model price of $219,000 US while the C8 Laviolette, coupe, has a base model price of $209,000 US.

However, customers often spend thousands of dollars more on the luxury vehicles with custom options.

The Dilawri Group of Companies was established in 1991 and today has 28 dealerships in Ontario, Saskatchewan, Alberta and the newest addition in the Vancouver area.

Tony Dilawri heads the Calgary operation.

The C8 Spyder and the C8 Laviolette two models will be available with Canadian specifications at Spyker of Calgary by May this year.

mtoneguzzi@theherald.canwest.com

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald