PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Retail Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81

Brizzy82
Feb 28, 2017, 5:23 PM
that Halifax Ikea looks massive

edit: I guess it's about average, 328,000 sf, just checked Winnipeg for reference which is 395,000

thats great for Halifax though. Honestly I didn't do a ton of shopping at Ikea before Winnipeg got one, I think I had been to the one in Minneapolis twice, but now that it's here I find that we shop there a lot for housewares and small furniture pieces.

WhipperSnapper
Feb 28, 2017, 5:27 PM
They sure are moving a lot of earth for that development.

I think it's ironic that IKEA - a furniture company that is probably one of the biggest symbols of a downscaled urban lifestyle, and "Europeanness" - exclusively builds its stores in the most sprawling, auto-dependent suburban locations imaginable.

I don't think they ever really lived up to that reputation. They were certainly affordably modern however, their selection still wasn't of a particularly smaller scale. I ended up pay double for an apartment sized couch at Eatons back in the day.

q12
Feb 28, 2017, 5:45 PM
To be fair from IKEA's press release this will be the most sustainable IKEA store in Canada.

It will be approximately 330,000 square feet (30,700 square meters), which is larger than four football fields in size.

IKEA Halifax will be constructed to operate as the most sustainable IKEA store in Canada, with a particular focus on energy efficiency and waste avoidance, and will be the first LEED certified IKEA store in Canada. Key features of the store will include a rooftop solar photovoltaic installation to provide electricity to the store, geothermal energy generation to support heating and cooling needs, as well as 100% LED lighting. Waste management equipment will be installed to maximize material recycling and diversion from landfill...

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/about_ikea/newsitem/2016_IKEA_Canada_breaks_ground_on_halifax_store

Here is the newly opened IKEA Renton (Seattle) with similar design:
http://www.seattleglobalist.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Ikea-Solar-1-of-1-700x467.jpg
Source:http://www.seattleglobalist.com/2017/01/18/ikea-largest-rooftop-solar-power-installation/60968

esquire
Feb 28, 2017, 5:46 PM
that Halifax Ikea looks massive

edit: I guess it's about average, 328,000 sf, just checked Winnipeg for reference which is 395,000

thats great for Halifax though. Honestly I didn't do a ton of shopping at Ikea before Winnipeg got one, I think I had been to the one in Minneapolis twice, but now that it's here I find that we shop there a lot for housewares and small furniture pieces.

I was under the impression that the showroom/market areas are pretty standard in North America when it comes to size, the difference tends to be in the warehouse and 'back of the house' areas. In other words, to a shopper, they all kind of look and feel the same regardless of actual square footage.

esquire
Feb 28, 2017, 5:49 PM
That's somewhat similar to what they're rolling out over the next while, though not for the benefit of "urbanites". Their plan was to open "IKEA lites" in markets they deem too small for a full-scale IKEA and stock them with ~100 of the most popular items, but to also have a show room and the ability to order in-store/online other items not normally kept on-hand in the warehouse.

I kind of forgot about that announcement... wonder where they're at with that.

Something like that would be awesome, both for cities that are too small for a full-fledged IKEA store, as well as for metros with one store that is far from a large segment of the population. I'm thinking of places like Edmonton where the north side of town is really far from the IKEA location on the south edge of the city. Even if you can't have access to the entire line of IKEA stuff, just the hot seller items like the basic bookcases, armchairs and what-not would be convenient.

The only one of these places I've seen so far was driving through St. Catharines on the QEW last summer.

WhipperSnapper
Feb 28, 2017, 6:02 PM
To be fair from IKEA's press release this will be the most sustainable IKEA store in Canada.

Here is the newly opened IKEA Renton (Seattle) with similar design:
http://www.seattleglobalist.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Ikea-Solar-1-of-1-700x467.jpg
Source:http://www.seattleglobalist.com/2017/01/18/ikea-largest-rooftop-solar-power-installation/60968

The features are pretty much standard in recent big box design with IKEA being no exception so, it's surprising this would be the first LEED certified IKEA

ue
Feb 28, 2017, 6:35 PM
I still find it odd that Quebec doesn't have a full-service IKEA store, considering similarly sized Hamilton has had one for awhile and Winnipeg has had one for a few years now and Halifax is getting one now. Surely the market is large enough. That being said, with the national expansion, I presume the days of this are numbered.

They sure are moving a lot of earth for that development.

I think it's ironic that IKEA - a furniture company that is probably one of the biggest symbols of a downscaled urban lifestyle, and "Europeanness" - exclusively builds its stores in the most sprawling, auto-dependent suburban locations imaginable.

I get that each store is also a self-serve warehouse, but a lot of people come in to IKEA to buy small household items. They could just have an "IKEA lite" for urbanites who want to buy bathmats or plates from the showroom, and give customers the option to order the larger furniture for delivery.

It builds stores like this everywhere, though -- including Europe. It's often the one big box suburban destination to go to with people who otherwise walk or train to shops. I get it to an extent; it is convenient shopping for furniture with a car that you can take all your boxes home in, but still. Even the IKEA Brooklyn is only begrudgingly urban.

Acajack
Feb 28, 2017, 6:39 PM
I still find it odd that Quebec doesn't have a full-service IKEA store, considering similarly sized Hamilton has had one for awhile and Winnipeg has had one for a few years now and Halifax is getting one now. Surely the market is large enough. That being said, with the national expansion, I presume the days of this are numbered.

A full-sized store has already been announced for Quebec City. It will open in 2018.

Quebec City actually had an IKEA store when I was a kid in the 80s. It closed at one point, I don't know why.

ue
Feb 28, 2017, 6:42 PM
A full-sized store has already been announced for Quebec City. It will open in 2018.

Quebec City actually had an IKEA store when I was a kid in the 80s. It closed at one point, I don't know why.

Ah, thank you for the clarification.

Yeah, I know Quebec, along with Halifax and Victoria, used to have smaller IKEA stores.

q12
Feb 28, 2017, 6:58 PM
Here is a cool Google maps site with IKEA locations (click on yellow dots for store facts including location sizes and opening dates):

http://worldmapikea-prod.azurewebsites.net/worldmap/interactive.html

http://i63.tinypic.com/24qs1ns.jpg

Brizzy82
Feb 28, 2017, 7:34 PM
interesting.

Winnipeg really punches above it's weight in parking spaces & restaurant seats.

Woot!:P

hipster duck
Feb 28, 2017, 10:42 PM
Here is a cool Google maps site with IKEA locations (click on yellow dots for store facts including location sizes and opening dates):

Cool find!

Man, there are some big US cities that don't have an IKEA: Cleveland, Nashville, New Orleans, Milwaukee, etc.

Didn't realize there weren't any IKEAs in Latin America (except Santo Domingo).

ue
Mar 1, 2017, 12:20 AM
Cool find!

Man, there are some big US cities that don't have an IKEA: Cleveland, Nashville, New Orleans, Milwaukee, etc.

Didn't realize there weren't any IKEAs in Latin America (except Santo Domingo).

Even the cities that do are underserved vis-a-vis Canada. Dallas and Houston have only one store, Chicago only has two, Boston only one, San Francisco only two, Seattle only one, and New York only four.

Compared with Canada where Vancouver has two, Montreal two, Toronto three (or four, depending how you look at it), with metros under a million served with a location.

If Canadian, New York would likely have at least ten stores, Boston two or three, Houston and Dallas two or three, Seattle two, Chicago four, San Francisco four, etc.

isaidso
Mar 1, 2017, 12:35 AM

Halifax was also the first city in north America to get an IKEA so market size isn't always the determining factor. The first store closed so it's nice to see IKEA back in Halifax again.

Nathan
Mar 1, 2017, 12:40 AM
I suppose but Halifax was also the first city in north America to get an IKEA so market size isn't always the determining factor.

That was before they started concentrating on having a larger consumer base. Once they did that, some smaller market IKEAs shut down (as mentioned above: Victoria, Halifax, etc)...

And now they are finally going back and expanding to markets that would have been considered too small before. Winnipeg was around the first of these markets in Canada... Well below the 1 mill pop in a city that they used to use as a measure - I know Southern Man has about that and NS does as well, and in a smaller area, but that didn't seem to matter to IKEA before.

That's not a dig, it just seemed to be their strategy. About all Saskatoon or Regina can hope for is one of their "lite" stores, if they ever decide to put one here.

1overcosc
Mar 1, 2017, 1:31 AM
Something like that would be awesome, both for cities that are too small for a full-fledged IKEA store, as well as for metros with one store that is far from a large segment of the population. I'm thinking of places like Edmonton where the north side of town is really far from the IKEA location on the south edge of the city. Even if you can't have access to the entire line of IKEA stuff, just the hot seller items like the basic bookcases, armchairs and what-not would be convenient.

The only one of these places I've seen so far was driving through St. Catharines on the QEW last summer.

That would be nice. Another possibility could be seasonal pop-up stores around Labour Day in university cities (like Kingston, Waterloo, Sherbrooke, etc.) that could similarly stock only the most popular items with an ordering mechanism for the rest.

someone123
Mar 1, 2017, 3:36 AM
And now they are finally going back and expanding to markets that would have been considered too small before. Winnipeg was around the first of these markets in Canada... Well below the 1 mill pop in a city that they used to use as a measure - I know Southern Man has about that and NS does as well, and in a smaller area, but that didn't seem to matter to IKEA before.

Halifax is a small city but it is also a regional centre and a lot of people from around Atlantic Canada will show up there for things that aren't available in their hometowns. When the IKEA in Dartmouth opens I'm guessing the parking lot will feature many NB, PEI, and NF plates.

Nathan
Mar 1, 2017, 4:07 AM
Halifax is a small city but it is also a regional centre and a lot of people from around Atlantic Canada will show up there for things that aren't available in their hometowns. When the IKEA in Dartmouth opens I'm guessing the parking lot will feature many NB, PEI, and NF plates.

I agree and don't doubt it, but the overall regional population hasn't changed much since they closed down the previous IKEA in Halifax, so their strategy/requirements had to have been what has changed. That's the main gist of what I'm saying with my previous comment.

SpongeG
Mar 1, 2017, 7:18 AM
All this IKEA talk is giving me withdrawls. When I am home I probably go to IKEA about 3 times a week, this last time home was about 5 times. I don't know why I go so much. Lucky it's not even 5 minutes driving time, probably why. Saturdays are hell day at IKEA though.

Taeolas
Mar 1, 2017, 2:38 PM
I agree and don't doubt it, but the overall regional population hasn't changed much since they closed down the previous IKEA in Halifax, so their strategy/requirements had to have been what has changed. That's the main gist of what I'm saying with my previous comment.

I've heard (but not sure how true it is) that one of the main factors that kicked IKEA out of Halifax originally, was Nova Scotia's sunday shopping laws.

Back then, Nova Scotia (and most of the Maritimes) had very strict "No Sunday Shopping" laws on the books that prevented most businesses from opening on that day.

IKEA was going 7 day a week across the continent, so they were petitioning NS to either relax the Sunday shopping laws, or to get an exemption. NS dug its heels in and say No, so IKEA packed up and left. (Likely Sunday shopping was the straw to break the camel's back; the store may have been borderline and/or out of date already).

Now, I think NS has probably one of the most relaxed business hours acts in the country since they removed the Sunday and Holiday shopping restrictions. I believe technically the only day a regular store can NOT be open is Remembrance Day, due to it being covered under a separate act. There are no other business hour restrictions in the province now. Which was likely a factor in drawing IKEA back into the city.

hipster duck
Mar 1, 2017, 4:34 PM
Even the cities that do are underserved vis-a-vis Canada. Dallas and Houston have only one store, Chicago only has two, Boston only one, San Francisco only two, Seattle only one, and New York only four.

Compared with Canada where Vancouver has two, Montreal two, Toronto three (or four, depending how you look at it), with metros under a million served with a location.

If Canadian, New York would likely have at least ten stores, Boston two or three, Houston and Dallas two or three, Seattle two, Chicago four, San Francisco four, etc.

I think that IKEA's aesthetic appeals less to Americans. In my experience, Americans spend more on decor - both inside and out - than Canadians, all else being equal. I also think that modernism is less of a default style choice than it is here - particularly when it comes to household objects like shower curtains, bathmats, plates, etc.

Finally - and this is related to Americans spending more on decor - Americans tend to live in bigger houses and are used to larger furniture pieces. With some exceptions, IKEA furniture is generally on the smaller side. At the very least, they offer small options. For example, most Americans couples would consider twin beds too small (this is not a veiled statement about obesity), but many Canadian couples - especially millennials - would have no problem with sharing a twin bed.

The fact that IKEA has more penetration in Canada than the US - and all across Canada, too, not isolated in certain pockets - points to the fact that we are very different countries leading very different lifestyles.

esquire
Mar 1, 2017, 4:40 PM
I think that IKEA's aesthetic appeals less to Americans. In my experience, Americans spend more on decor - both inside and out - than Canadians, all else being equal. I also think that modernism is less of a default style choice than it is here - particularly when it comes to household objects like shower curtains, bathmats, plates, etc.

Finally - and this is related to Americans spending more on decor - Americans tend to live in bigger houses and are used to larger furniture pieces. With some exceptions, IKEA furniture is generally on the smaller side. At the very least, they offer small options. For example, most Americans couples would consider twin beds too small (this is not a veiled statement about obesity), but many Canadian couples - especially millennials - would have no problem with sharing a twin bed.

The fact that IKEA has more penetration in Canada than the US - and all across Canada, too, not isolated in certain pockets - points to the fact that we are very different countries leading very different lifestyles.

Based on my travels, I'd say there is a lot of truth to this. If you want to see the archetypal aspirational American furniture store, go no further than your local Ashley Home Furniture. It's as though their pieces are designed to take up as much as space as possible... the style sold by that store is a pretty big deal in the US.

As with so many things, Canada isn't in the same headspace as Asia or Europe when it comes to favouring modern, somewhat compact design, but we're somewhere between them and the US. IKEA seems far more mainstream a choice here than it does south of the border.

ue
Mar 1, 2017, 4:42 PM
^ I notice that IKEA popularity seems to be higher in the coastal big US cities like SF, LA, NY, DC, Philly.

This is all very true, despite what people say about BC being more like Washington or Alberta more like Texas than other provinces.

someone123
Mar 1, 2017, 4:42 PM
I've heard (but not sure how true it is) that one of the main factors that kicked IKEA out of Halifax originally, was Nova Scotia's sunday shopping laws.

I have heard this too but it seems shaky as an economic argument. Would IKEA really have made more money had they been allowed to open on Sundays along with every other similar store? Alternatively, do we accept that IKEA made decisions based on some kind of grudge with an uncooperative but no less profitable province?

I can think of a couple of things relating to banning Sunday shopping that might have helped but they both seem minor:

- The province might become a bit more consumerist in general, with people spending more time and more of their money shopping, and with a few people getting paid a bit more to work on Sundays.
- There were some quasi-competitors that operated on Sundays, like flea markets (which operated on a huge scale before Sunday shopping was legal in NS, and sold some nicer and new goods along with junk).

esquire
Mar 1, 2017, 4:46 PM
^ I notice that IKEA popularity seems to be higher in the coastal big US cities like SF, LA, NY, DC, Philly.

This reminds me, I recall reading a news article that quoted a retail analyst who said that Canadians generally live in smaller spaces than Americans do which has some effect on IKEA's relative popularity here.

I can tell you, I have some relatives who live in what are essentially McMansions, and they love Ashley Home Furniture and its huge pieces. No IKEA in their homes at all. Those types of homes are a lot less common here, though.

Acajack
Mar 1, 2017, 4:53 PM
I have heard this too but it seems shaky as an economic argument. Would IKEA really have made more money had they been allowed to open on Sundays along with every other similar store? Alternatively, do we accept that IKEA made decisions based on some kind of grudge with an uncooperative but no less profitable province?

I can think of a couple of things relating to banning Sunday shopping that might have helped but they both seem minor:

- The province might become a bit more consumerist in general, with people spending more time and more of their money shopping, and with a few people getting paid a bit more to work on Sundays.
- There were some quasi-competitors that operated on Sundays, like flea markets (which operated on a huge scale before Sunday shopping was legal in NS, and sold some nicer and new goods along with junk).

The fact that IKEA also pulled out of a totally different market in Quebec City around the same period probably means it had little to do with Halifax or Nova Scotia.

MonctonRad
Mar 1, 2017, 4:53 PM

I was living in Halifax in the 1980s, and I can absolutely verify that the Sunday shopping laws were a major pain in the ass for IKEA. They were constantly petitioning the provincial government to have them changed, but there was significant pushback from the NS populace (and the provincial unions). I believe it was a Conservative government at the time (John Buchanan as Premier I believe), and their strong rural base didn't want to have anything to do with Sunday shopping. Sundays were meant for church going, quiet reflections on one's sinful lifestyle, drives in the country and quality family time. It was a day of rest, and no foreign owned heathen company was going to change that!!!!

It was only a matter of a couple of months after IKEA got a firm final "no" to their request that they announced they were going to close their Halifax location. They didn't outright state that the Sunday shopping laws were the cause for their decision, but it was pretty obvious to those of us living in the city at the time that 2+2 does indeed equal 4..............

WhipperSnapper
Mar 1, 2017, 6:44 PM
I'm not sure it needs in depth analysis. IKEA entered Canada in the 1970s. It didn't push into the US until the 1990s. Maybe there was concerns with entering the US market but, it's been pretty successful since all things considered. Like I said previously, it's more style and affordability than scale with IKEA. Back in the day their furniture wasn't particular of a smaller scale than other more traditional, suburban outlets. Now everybody sells small.

SignalHillHiker
Mar 2, 2017, 3:09 PM
IKEA is establishing a "collection point" in St. John's, presumably a result of the Halifax store. Basically it's a third party location where people here can pick up IKEA orders with a flat discount on shipping.

There are others being added in New Glasgow, Sydney, Charlottetown, and Fredericton.

Really seems like their market info may not be ideal. Wouldn't Moncton be the better choice for NB's? It's like they went to both ends of Nova Scotia plus neighboring capitals. Corner Brook would probably be a good addition.

Gap is leaving St. John's. Its last store in the Avalon Mall will close in a few weeks.

q12
Mar 2, 2017, 3:23 PM
There are now 8 IKEA Collection Points in Atlantic Canada.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/ (http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/about_ikea/newsitem/2017_Atlantic_Canada_5_Collection_Points_Announcement)

IKEA Stores
Burlington, ON
Boucherville, QC
Coquitlam, BC
Calgary, AB
Edmonton, AB
Etobicoke, ON
Montreal, QC
North York, ON
Ottawa, ON
Richmond, BC
Vaughan, ON
Winnipeg, MB
Halifax, NS 2017
Quebec City, QC 2018

Pick-up and order points - Delivery Fee $20
Kitchener, ON
St. Catharines, ON
London, ON
Quebec City, QC
Whitby, ON
Windsor, ON

Collection Points - Delivery Fee $59. (The delivery fee is $79 for St. John's and Saskatoon)
Charlottetown, PE
Fredericton, NB
Halifax, NS
Moncton, NB
New Glasgow, NS
Saint John, NB
Saskatoon, SK
Sydney, NS
St. John's, NL

SignalHillHiker
Mar 2, 2017, 3:36 PM
Oh I understand! So three other AC ones already existed?

q12
Mar 2, 2017, 3:57 PM
Oh I understand! So three other AC ones already existed?

Yeah Halifax, Moncton and Saint John were launched earlier.

Of course Halifax will close once the store opens this year. I noticed Truro, the Annapolis Valley and the South Shore of Nova Scotia were left out as they will be within an hours drive of the new IKEA store.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/about_ikea/newsitem/2017_Atlantic_Canada_5_Collection_Points_Announcement

J.OT13
Mar 2, 2017, 4:41 PM
Rideau Centre expansion with replicated 1908 Charles Ogilvy Limited Department Store Façade (using 1916 bricks, mix of 1908 and 1916 spandrel panels and straps above third floor windows. Everything else replicated from scratch using historic photographs).

Before demolition
http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/1846959.jpg
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=200908&page=74

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/cms/binary/7706923.jpg
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/demolition+history+Ogilvy+shines/7706922/story.html

New
http://www.entuitive.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/RideauCenter_Architeture_8.08.201631183_-1.jpg
http://www.entuitive.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/RideauCenter_Architeture_8.08.201631189-2.jpg
http://www.entuitive.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/RideauCenter_Architeture_8.08.201631171_-2.jpg

http://www.entuitive.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/RideauCenter_Architeture_8.08.201631078-1.jpg
http://www.entuitive.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/RideauCenter_Architeture_8.08.201631093-1.jpg

http://www.entuitive.com/ottawas-rideau-centre-massive-revitalization-and-expansion-officially-opens/

Only thing left to complete within the Rideau Centre rehabilitation project are the subway station entrances around the former food court. Expected to open Spring 2018.

ue
Mar 2, 2017, 6:44 PM
^ Phenomenal! Well done, O-Town! Are the outside entrances to stores like H&M accessible or permanently closed? One of my biggest gripes with Edmonton's City Centre is that it was remodeled to have a bunch of stores with outside access doors, which were later sealed and can now only be used by employees. You have to go inside to get to the store.

Hardhatdan
Mar 2, 2017, 7:19 PM
Now that is a reno.

WhipperSnapper
Mar 2, 2017, 7:25 PM
What exactly are people seeing?!? The heritage facade is well executed but the rest is the typical hodgepodge found in retail design. The interior looks like every other mall reno in the last 10 years.

matthew6
Mar 2, 2017, 8:09 PM
The interior looks like every other mall reno in the last 10 years.

It looks sterile. Like a pharmacy.

esquire
Mar 2, 2017, 9:46 PM
It looks sterile. Like a pharmacy.

Clearly meant to impart a posh look, like what you'd see walking into a luxury car dealership.

CF did a great job, Rideau Centre looks very fresh now.

SpongeG
Mar 3, 2017, 4:30 AM
it looks really good.

SignalHillHiker
Mar 3, 2017, 10:50 AM
The interior is nice - reminds me of Gulf countries. The heritage restoration is perfect. And the rest is fine. There's nothing not to like for me.

SpongeG
Mar 9, 2017, 9:09 PM
Sunrise Records reveals locations of 29 new stores in former HMV space
Even more stores expected to be announced on March 20
CBC News Posted: Mar 09, 2017 12:39 PM ET Last Updated: Mar 09, 2017 12:39 PM ET

British Columbia

Metrotown – Burnaby.
Orchard Park – Kelowna.

Alberta

Sunridge Mall – Calgary.
Marlborough Mall – Calgary.
West Edmonton Mall (including stage for performances).
Londonderry Mall – Edmonton.
Peter Pond Mall – Fort McMurray.
Park Place Mall – Lethbridge.
Medicine Hat Mall – Medicine Hat.

Saskatchewan

Southland Mall – Regina.

Manitoba

Kildonan Place – Winnipeg.
Polo Park – Winnipeg.

Ontario

Quinte Mall – Belleville.
Stone Road Mall – Guelph.
Limeridge Mall – Hamilton.
Square One – Mississauga.
Place d'Orléans – Ottawa.
Heritage Place Mall – Owen Sound.
Pickering Town Centre – Pickering.
Station Mall – Sault Ste. Marie.
The Pen Centre – St. Catharines.

​Quebec

Les Galeries de Hull – Hull.
Place Fleur de Lys – Quebec City.
Promenades St-Bruno – Saint Bruno.
Place du Royaume – Saguenay.
Centre commercial Les Rivières – Trois-Rivieres.
La Grande place des Bois-Francs – Victoriaville.

New Brunswick

McAllister Place – Saint John.
Regent Mall – Fredericton.

full article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sunrise-records-hmv-1.4017361

Acajack
Mar 9, 2017, 9:19 PM
Sunrise Records reveals locations of 29 new stores in former HMV space
Even more stores expected to be announced on March 20
CBC News Posted: Mar 09, 2017 12:39 PM ET Last Updated: Mar 09, 2017 12:39 PM ET

full article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sunrise-records-hmv-1.4017361

Interesting they picked Les Galeries de Hull. It's a very small shopping centre (some would say rinky-dink), though very much alive and well-maintained.

If they're staying there I am sure they'll also stay at our mega-mall, Les Promenades. Unless rents are too high there - rents have been jacked up since it became an Oxford property.

softee
Mar 9, 2017, 9:25 PM
^^Too bad the Yonge Street flagship store isn't on the list. What else would want to locate in that space?

MalcolmTucker
Mar 9, 2017, 9:26 PM
Interesting they picked Les Galeries de Hull. It's a very small shopping centre (some would say rinky-dink), though very much alive and well-maintained.

If they're staying there I am sure they'll also stay at our mega-mall, Les Promenades. Unless rents are too high there - rents have been jacked up since it became an Oxford property.

They would own the lease at whatever rate HMV signed atmost likely, which could be very long ago.

WhipperSnapper
Mar 9, 2017, 9:29 PM
^^Too bad the Yonge Street flagship store isn't on the list. What else would want to locate in that space?

You have a weed lot on one side and the awkwardly laid out 10 Dundas Mall on the other. I don't think anyone will be signing a new long term lease and the owner probably gladly took back the old one.

Acajack
Mar 9, 2017, 9:30 PM
They would own the lease at whatever rate HMV signed atmost likely, which could be very long ago.

Good point. I notice that most of the big downtown mall locations are absent from that list though.

Martin Mtl
Mar 9, 2017, 10:18 PM
Montreal's downtown HMV is not in a mall but on a very desirable, large street location at the corner of Sainte-Catherine and Peel. I bet there will be a lot of speculations about who will take their place. It really is one of the best spot in the city.

MalcolmTucker
Mar 9, 2017, 11:30 PM
Good point. I notice that most of the big downtown mall locations are absent from that list though.

Montreal's downtown HMV is not in a mall but on a very desirable, large street location at the corner of Sainte-Catherine and Peel. I bet there will be a lot of speculations about who will take their place. It really is one of the best spot in the city.

Would need to do some math, and see whether selling the lease rights, sublease, or opening a store is worth more.

SpongeG
Mar 10, 2017, 5:31 AM
Toronto and Calgary...

Saks OFF 5TH Announces 2 More Canadian Stores

In 2018, Saks OFF 5TH will open stores in suburban Toronto and Calgary, both within Cadillac Fairview-managed shopping centres. A 27,000 square foot Saks OFF 5TH will open at CF Markville centre in Markham, north of Toronto, and a 26,600 square foot location will open at Calgary’s CF Market Mall next year, as well.

http://www.retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2017/3/saks-off-5th

Brizzy82
Mar 10, 2017, 5:37 AM
I'm looking forward to checking Saks Off 5th when it opens in Winnipeg this spring.

I haven't shopped there before, I'm assuming it's similar to Nordstrom Rack? Or even higher end?

SpongeG
Mar 10, 2017, 5:43 AM
it was a mix. Definately more high end than most nordstrom racks i have been to.

They had handbags from Dolce & Gabanna, Prada, Fendi, Marc Jacobs down to Michael Kors and Kate Spade. A lot of other brands. They had a lot of Michael Kors kids clothes and shoes. Mens clothes had a lot of jeans like seven for all mankind, nudie etc. Penguin clothes, Ben Sherman, Diesel, pretty good selection. Some moose knuckles jackets.

Didn't really look at much, Some nice mens leather bags in the $500 - $800 range.

OutOfTowner
Mar 10, 2017, 6:15 AM
Didn't really look at much, Some nice mens leather bags in the $500 - $800 range.

Those must be some kinda fucking super bags! Can they be turned into bulletproof vests? Personal flotation devices? Emergency fallout shelters? All of the above??

SpongeG
Mar 10, 2017, 6:22 AM
lol they were pretty high end, they also had a number of fossil bags under $100 and some other cultish brands for around $100 - $200

some of the womens bags were in the $3000 proce range, marked down from $5000 - $6000 at their "regular" price

so I don't ever recall seeing such expensive items at nordstrom rack or places like winners.

OutOfTowner
Mar 10, 2017, 6:26 AM
lol they were pretty high end, they also had a number of fossil bags under $100 and some other cultish brands for around $100 - $200

some of the womens bags were in the $3000 proce range, marked down from $5000 - $6000 at their "regular" price

so I don't ever recall seeing such expensive items at nordstrom rack or places like winners.

I have no idea what you're talking about lol!

SpongeG
Mar 10, 2017, 6:54 AM
Brizzy82 asked if saks off 5th is high end or more like nordstrom rack... lol

I think its slightly higher end than the rack and much more so than winners/marshalls.

cult bags are brands that people who are into that sort of thing will recognize but the average person would have no idea. For example owning a deadly ponies bag or even a Rag N Bone bag

OutOfTowner
Mar 10, 2017, 7:30 AM
Brizzy82 asked if saks off 5th is high end or more like nordstrom rack... lol

I think its slightly higher end than the rack and much more so than winners/marshalls.

cult bags are brands that people who are into that sort of thing will recognize but the average person would have no idea. For example owning a deadly ponies bag or even a Rag N Bone bag

OMG! I could never be seen with such a lowly bag lol!

What would people think??

LeftCoaster
Mar 10, 2017, 6:58 PM
$500-$800 for a leather bag is not really all that much. Minimum you'd be looking at for a mens roots bag is $300-$400 so $500-$800 for a designer bag is pretty cheap really. You get what you pay for though and they are likely pretty cheap bags, the stuff they make for outlet/rack stores is really hit or miss in the quality department.

WhipperSnapper
Mar 10, 2017, 7:22 PM
Yep. It's a bag. Many years ago I saw a mouse pad for $400 at Holt's. That's nuts. Some brand named t-shirts are nuts too.

OutOfTowner
Mar 10, 2017, 8:12 PM
$500-$800 for a leather bag is not really all that much. Minimum you'd be looking at for a mens roots bag is $300-$400 so $500-$800 for a designer bag is pretty cheap really. You get what you pay for though and they are likely pretty cheap bags, the stuff they make for outlet/rack stores is really hit or miss in the quality department.

Well I'm not a Kardashian or a real estate agent so the label doesn't matter!
Though it might explain the snickers and looks of pity when I walk by Asian tour groups..

I think I paid less than $500 combined for my travel backpack and computer/camera gear carry on. The latter has outlived 3 cameras and 2 MacBooks. I've had them for about 12 years and spent around 3 years total traveling/living out of them. Still going strong! My canvas day bag cost €25 at a flea market in Berlin. DDR quality baby- it has outlived the wall, communism and Erich Honecker himself! It'll probably outlive me. I should leave it to the Kardashians after I'm gone..

OutOfTowner
Mar 10, 2017, 8:43 PM
Yep. It's a bag. Many years ago I saw a mouse pad for $400 at Holt's. That's nuts. Some brand named t-shirts are nuts too.

Must be some mouse pad! I'll bet that whoever bought it left the price tag on then told every guest "Fell free to use the computer. No I insist: use it NOW!"

SpongeG
Mar 10, 2017, 8:47 PM
these are or were pretty popular a couple seasons ago - mcm backpacks - they start around $800 for a basic and go up to $5000

you see lots of them here in Vancouver

http://fashionrunwayblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/mcm-backpacks.jpg

SpongeG
Mar 10, 2017, 8:51 PM
thom browne is pretty popular these days in Vancouver, Koreans love the brand - these basic white shirts run around $500

https://s3.amazonaws.com/thombrowne-java/images/skus/MWL150E00139%20100~PRODUCT_01--IMG_1100--CLASSICOXFORDSHIRTWITHGROSGRAINARMBAND-2113883168.jpg

SpongeG
Mar 10, 2017, 9:00 PM
Louboutin shoes are pretty popular right now in Vancouver - if you go to the holt renfrew shoe section on a saturday it is packed with shoe shoppers pretty much all asians, koreans and chinese

these spring 2017 Louboutin shoes are just over $1200 Cdn

http://images.us.christianlouboutin.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/1200x/602f0fa2c1f0d1ba5e241f914e856ff9/1/1/7/0/christianlouboutin-louspikes-1170052_CMA3_1_1200x1200_1484134556.jpg

OutOfTowner
Mar 10, 2017, 9:06 PM
I could never work high end retail. I'd be fired for laughing every time I sold something!

"You what? You'll take 3?? Buahahahahahaha!!"

osirisboy
Mar 10, 2017, 9:22 PM
I could never work high end retail. I'd be fired for laughing every time I sold something!

"You what? You'll take 3?? Buahahahahahaha!!"

Agreed! I hate high end retail it's such a friggin joke, it's disgusting. I remember seeing a $26,000 hand bag at Nordstrom and thinking what a waste, I couldn't help think couldn't you buy a nice handbag for 5 grand and donate the rest?

SpongeG
Mar 14, 2017, 5:27 AM
Adidas Launching Unique-to-Canada Store Expansion
March 13, 2017

German athletic and fashion brand Adidas is launching a uniquely Canadian store expansion that will include new ‘experiential’ locations, renovated and repositioned existing stores, as well as a new focus on hockey-related uniforms and team gear in selected locations. Adidas has partnered with the National Hockey League (NHL) for a period of seven years and beginning with the 2017-18 season, Adidas will become the official outfitter of the NHL’s on-ice uniforms, as well as the official supplier of licensed apparel and headwear.

John Summers, Vice President of 'direct to consumer’ for Adidas Canada, explained that Adidas has three types of stores in Canada — 'sport performance' branded stores, outlets, and fashion stores. The company’s outlet stores have seen tremendous growth over the past several years, prompting the company to further expand and refocus its sport performance-branded stores in Canada’s largest cities, as well as its fashion stores which operate under the Adidas Originals nameplate.

The company’s sport performance-branded stores are located in Toronto (10 Dundas St. East), Vancouver (860 Granville Street, currently focused on running) and in Oshawa ON (at Oshawa Centre, which opened in October of 2016). Mr. Summers explained that the company’s sport performance stores will see a new focus geared towards hockey, with a considerable amount of product catering to both on and off-ice training, coming into stores this summer. Adidas’ Canadian operations will continue to see a considerable focus on hockey as part of its ongoing NHL partnership.

http://www.retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2017/3/adidas

SpongeG
Mar 14, 2017, 5:29 AM
Yonge Street Hard Rock Cafe to be Replaced with Flagship Shoppers Drug Mart
March 13, 2017

The iconic Hard Rock Cafe at 279 Yonge Street in downtown Toronto has been leased to Shoppers Drug Mart, according to sources. It’s the first time in over 35 years that the retail space has been available for lease.

The 22,000 square foot multi-level retail space has considerable exposure on busy Yonge-Dundas Square, which many consider to be Toronto’s answer to New York City’s Times Square. According to CBRE marketing materials, the site offers exposure to over 60 million potential customers, annually.

A source says that the landlord wished to lease the space to one large tenant, hence why it chose Shoppers Drug Mart rather than divide the space for multiple smaller tenants. Hard Rock Cafe is said to be looking for a new space in Toronto’s core, which has been met with some challenges.

http://www.retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2017/3/hard-rock-yonge

SpongeG
Mar 14, 2017, 5:36 AM
DXL Men's Apparel Expands Into Canada, Opens Its First Canadian Store In Ajax, Ontario

One-Stop Shop Featuring Quality Clothing for Men Who Wear XL Sizes is NOW in Canada

CANTON, Mass., March 13, 2017 /CNW/ -- Destination XL Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: DXLG), the leading retailer of men's XL apparel, has crossed the border into Canada and opened a new DXL store in Ajax, ONT, located at 20 Kingston Road West in Harwood Centre. This is the first DXL Men's Apparel store to open in Canada, and a second will be opening soon in Mississauga, ONT. The DXL® store is a one-stop shop that caters to the clothing needs and lifestyles of men who wear waist size 38"+ and size XL and up.

DXL Men's Apparel stores are no strangers to Canadian customers. Canadians have been traveling down to upstate New York, Washington, and Michigan to shop for brands in their sizes. The willingness to travel such a distance to shop a DXL Men's Apparel store indicated the need to expand the brand into this market.

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/dxl-mens-apparel-expands-into-canada-opens-its-first-canadian-store-in-ajax-ontario-616028074.html

caltrane74
Mar 14, 2017, 1:20 PM
Yonge Street Hard Rock Cafe to be Replaced with Flagship Shoppers Drug Mart
March 13, 2017

The iconic Hard Rock Cafe at 279 Yonge Street in downtown Toronto has been leased to Shoppers Drug Mart, according to sources. It’s the first time in over 35 years that the retail space has been available for lease.

The 22,000 square foot multi-level retail space has considerable exposure on busy Yonge-Dundas Square, which many consider to be Toronto’s answer to New York City’s Times Square. According to CBRE marketing materials, the site offers exposure to over 60 million potential customers, annually.

A source says that the landlord wished to lease the space to one large tenant, hence why it chose Shoppers Drug Mart rather than divide the space for multiple smaller tenants. Hard Rock Cafe is said to be looking for a new space in Toronto’s core, which has been met with some challenges.

http://www.retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2017/3/hard-rock-yonge

Sad day for Dundas Square. :(

Acajack
Mar 14, 2017, 1:22 PM
Sad day for Dundas Square. :(

FYI in the Ottawa forum it's a meme that Shoppers Drug Mart has plans to take over the world, as every time you look there is a new location opening somewhere.

They may be right after all... :uhh:

kwoldtimer
Mar 14, 2017, 1:39 PM
FYI in the Ottawa forum it's a meme that Shoppers Drug Mart has plans to take over the world, as every time you look there is a new location opening somewhere.

They may be right after all... :uhh:

To be fair, there has long been a widely recognized need for a Shoppers Drug Mart flagship store. The place to pick up your flagship prescription meds, assorted flagship health and beauty aids, and flagship pathetic supermarket offerings, often at attractive price points. Not being able to swing a cat without hitting a Shoppers Drug Mart doesn't address the consumption void that only a "flagship" can satisfy. I imagine that their "Revitive Circulation Booster" display will be cutting edge.

niwell
Mar 14, 2017, 1:52 PM
Rexall seems to be picking up leases in high-rent historic buildings in Toronto as well. Maybe we have an all out drugstore war on our hands!

Seriously though, Hardrock Cafe is a terrible, cheesy chain that's only a step above Applebey's but I can't fathom how this is the choice. The location does have a lot of legit Toronto music history too.

Acajack
Mar 14, 2017, 1:52 PM
To be fair, there has long been a widely recognized need for a Shoppers Drug Mart flagship store. The place to pick up your flagship prescription meds, assorted flagship health and beauty aids, and flagship pathetic supermarket offerings, often at attractive price points. Not being able to swing a cat without hitting a Shoppers Drug Mart doesn't address the consumption void that only a "flagship" can satisfy. I imagine that their "Revitive Circulation Booster" display will be cutting edge.

You're being sarcastic, right? There is already a Shoppers at Yonge-Dundas, though not in as prime a location as the Hard Rock spot.

Acajack
Mar 14, 2017, 1:55 PM
Rexall seems to be picking up leases in high-rent historic buildings in Toronto as well. Maybe we have an all out drugstore war on our hands!

Seriously though, Hardrock Cafe is a terrible, cheesy chain that's only a step above Applebey's but I can't fathom how this is the choice. The location does have a lot of legit Toronto music history too.

Hard Rock has greatly reduced their imprint after growing really big at one point.

I mean, Ottawa at one point had two Hard Rock Cafés. Nothing against Ottawa, but still...

esquire
Mar 14, 2017, 2:08 PM
Hard Rock Cafés remind me of 1990.

hipster duck
Mar 14, 2017, 2:11 PM
Further proof that Canada is 5-10 years behind the US in all things.

New Yorkers complained in the mid-2000s about how Duane Reade was spreading like a virus. At the same time, CVS and Walgreens were expanding like mad.

Acajack
Mar 14, 2017, 2:12 PM
Hard Rock Cafés remind me of 1990.

In my youth (which was around those years) we always used to go to the one in Toronto at Yonge and Dundas.

When I showed foreigners around Toronto we'd always make a stop there too.

Thinking back it wasn't really that great a place, but that's true of a lot of allegedly "famous" stuff, isn't it?

Though the Sam the Record Man sign on Yonge at night really was the real deal!

OutOfTowner
Mar 14, 2017, 2:24 PM

Flagship toothpaste whitens 50% more! Flagship Depends are 60% more absorbent!

It appears that Captains of Industry really do exist.

Yaaaaaaar!
lNlYBNTCBG8

niwell
Mar 14, 2017, 2:41 PM
Though the Sam the Record Man sign on Yonge at night really was the real deal!

The Sam the record Man sign is returning to the square this summer as part of the deal with Ryerson when they built the new student centre. Will be on top of one of their buildings at the NE corner of the square.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/03/08/sam-the-record-man-sign-to-go-back-up-this-summer.html

OutOfTowner
Mar 14, 2017, 2:59 PM
The Sam the record Man sign is returning to the square this summer as part of the deal with Ryerson when they built the new student centre. Will be on top of one of their buildings at the NE corner of the square.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/03/08/sam-the-record-man-sign-to-go-back-up-this-summer.html

How exciting! Should I give Forlorn Square another go? Maybe pick up some some Flagship toilet paper while I'm at it?

niwell
Mar 14, 2017, 3:09 PM
How exciting! Should I give Forlorn Square another go? Maybe pick up some some Flagship toilet paper while I'm at it?

You don't have to be a dick all the time, you know.

OutOfTowner
Mar 14, 2017, 3:21 PM
Further proof that Canada is 5-10 years behind the US in all things.

New Yorkers complained in the mid-2000s about how Duane Reade was spreading like a virus. At the same time, CVS and Walgreens were expanding like mad.

That should give us 10 years to figure out how to avoid making the same mistakes. Instead, we emulate. Because, if it happened in New York..

OutOfTowner
Mar 14, 2017, 3:22 PM
You don't have to be a dick all the time, you know.

You don't like Monty Python?

TownGuy
Mar 14, 2017, 3:43 PM

This helps take some of the sting away from losing the Hard Rock Cafe (well, more about what's replacing it...)

I wish they could've found a spot for the Honest Ed's sign in the square.

niwell
Mar 14, 2017, 3:50 PM
This helps take some of the sting away from losing the Hard Rock Cafe (well, more about what's replacing it...)

I wish they could've found a spot for the Honest Ed's sign in the square.

Not in the square but I guess they are planning to reinstall it on Mirvish theatre which is just around the corner. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/honest-eds-sign-1.3972090

And by reinstalling I basically mean rebuilding from scratch because I guess the sign was in absolutely atrocious condition. Even if they had kept Honest Ed's the sign would have ended up needing replacement.

MalcolmTucker
Mar 14, 2017, 3:51 PM
That should give us 10 years to figure out how to avoid making the same mistakes. Instead, we emulate. Because, if it happened in New York..

Oh no! The city is adding thousands of people to the core, what should our response be? Stop private companies from providing them convenient services close to where they live, so it is eventually awful enough that moving makes more and more sense despite Toronto's awful commutes.

The city must protect tourist trade jobs, instead of providing a space for workers in high value services, which the market is steering towards!

OutOfTowner
Mar 14, 2017, 4:04 PM
Oh no! The city is adding thousands of people to the core, what should our response be? Stop private companies from providing them convenient services close to where they live, so it is eventually awful enough that moving makes more and more sense despite Toronto's awful commutes.

Indeed, a Starbucks on every corner! A drug store evey 50m!
Onward ho! To Bed, Bath and Beyond we go!

FRz3vfRFfs4

WhipperSnapper
Mar 14, 2017, 4:07 PM
The flagship Shoppers Drug Mart (Loblaws) should have better food than Hard Rock.

softee
Mar 14, 2017, 5:36 PM
Apparently the Hard Rock is looking for a new downtown location, the soon to be closed HMV flagship on Yonge would be ideal, but I doubt that will happen.

OutOfTowner
Mar 14, 2017, 5:51 PM
Apparently the Hard Rock is looking for a new downtown location, the soon to be closed HMV flagship on Yonge would be ideal, but I doubt that will happen.

Sounds like you've got the Battle of Jutland or Leyte Gulf going on down there!

kwoldtimer
Mar 14, 2017, 5:55 PM
You're being sarcastic, right? There is already a Shoppers at Yonge-Dundas, though not in as prime a location as the Hard Rock spot.

You have me wondering whether I was too subtle or whether you are being sarcastic in asking? :)

kwoldtimer
Mar 14, 2017, 5:59 PM
edit

SpongeG
Mar 16, 2017, 6:42 AM
this a cool detail

https://i1.wp.com/immrfabulous.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Simons-Outside-e1489550387850.jpg?resize=960%2C1280

SpongeG
Mar 16, 2017, 6:50 AM
Old Navy to Launch 8 Canadian Stores in 2017
March 15, 2017

In May of this year, Old Navy will open two stores in Western Canada — at Calgary’s CrossIron Mills, as well as at the new Outlet Collection Winnipeg. CrossIron Mills is classified as a ‘hybrid outlet centre’ (mixing full-price and outlet stores), while the Winnipeg centre, scheduled to open on May 3 of the year, will be Western Canada’s second American-style designer outlet mall.

A source at Old Navy confirms that a further six stores are expected to open in Canada over the next nine months or so. In October of this year, Old Navy will open its first store in Sherbrooke, Quebec, at Carrefour de l'Estrie. Other markets set to get new Old Navy stores include the Montreal region (three stores: CF Galeries d’Anjou, Les Avenues Vaudreuil and Carrefour Angrignon), Toronto (Toronto Premium Outlets), as well as a location in suburban Edmonton.

http://www.retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2017/3/old-navy

SpongeG
Mar 24, 2017, 7:48 PM
Some of whats going on in the USA will probably have an affect up here.

The retail apocalypse has officially descended on America

Hayley Peterson

Mar. 21, 2017, 5:25 PM

Thousands of mall-based stores are shutting down in what's fast becoming one of the biggest waves of retail closures in decades.

More than 3,500 stores are expected to close in the next couple of months.

Department stores like JCPenney, Macy's, Sears, and Kmart are among the companies shutting down stores, along with middle-of-the-mall chains like Crocs, BCBG, Abercrombie & Fitch, and Guess.

Some retailers are exiting the brick-and-mortar business altogether and trying to shift to an all-online model.

For example, Bebe is closing all its stores — about 170 — to focus on increasing its online sales, according to a Bloomberg report.

---

http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/58d1935c112f701b008b5d56-1200

The US has 23.5 square feet of retail space per person, compared with 16.4 square feet in Canada and 11.1 square feet in Australia, the next two countries with the most retail space per capita, according to a Morningstar Credit Ratings report from October.

---

And people are now devoting bigger shares of their wallets to restaurants, travel, and technology than ever before, while spending less on apparel and accessories.

As stores close, many shopping malls will be forced to shut down as well.

When an anchor store like Sears or Macy's closes, it often triggers a downward spiral in performance for shopping malls.

Not only do the malls lose the income and shopper traffic from that store's business, but the closure often triggers "co-tenancy clauses" that allow the other mall tenants to terminate their leases or renegotiate the terms, typically with a period of lower rents, until another retailer moves into the anchor space.

---

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-retail-apocalypse-has-officially-descended-on-america-2017-3

SpongeG
Mar 24, 2017, 8:03 PM
Bebe doesn't have that many stores in Canada.

CANADA

Yorkdale Toronto
Metropolis at Metrotown Burnaby
West Edmonton Mall Edmonton
Chinook Centre Calgary
Pacific Centre Vancouver
Square One Mississauga
Vaughan Mills Outlet Vaughn
Outlet Collection at Niagara

SpongeG
Mar 31, 2017, 6:29 PM
Photos: Ladurée Vancouver opens second location inside Holt Renfrew
by Tammy Kwan on March 24th, 2017 at 4:30 PM

http://d2ciprw05cjhos.cloudfront.net/files/v3/styles/gs_large/public/images/17/03/dscn0284.jpg?itok=_FSaaTvD

When the French patisserie Ladurée opened its first Canadian location in Vancouver last year, hundreds of excited and eager macaron-lovers lined up outside its doors on Robson Street.

Today marks the one year anniversary of its grand opening (March 24, 2016), and to celebrate the occasion, a second Ladurée boutique and tea salon (737 Dunsmuir Street) has quietly sprung up inside Holt Renfrew.

“Ladurée’s first international location was actually at Harrod’s in London,” explained Olesya Krakhmalyova, the Canadian licensee for Ladurée. “They like to do beautiful shop-in-shops at distinguished shopping malls and department stores, so for Canada, we saw us being at Holt Renfrew. It is kind of like the best being with the best.”

Situated next to the brand new women’s shoe hall inside the luxury department store, guests can expect the same Ladurée experience inside this shop-in-shop: whimsical and elegant with lots of attention to detail.

The 800-square-foot space incorporates white marble, pastel-coloured macarons and collectibles, and a wallpaper design characterized by charming hot-air balloons.

http://d2ciprw05cjhos.cloudfront.net/files/v3/styles/gs_large/public/images/17/03/dscn0247.jpg?itok=w_2FT8EJ

http://www.straight.com/food/886001/photos-laduree-vancouver-opens-second-location-inside-holt-renfrew

SpongeG
Mar 31, 2017, 7:09 PM
I have noticed a lot of things have gotten cheaper especially at walmart, you can get their cheap brand of chocolate for 1.00 each now, they used to sell around 1.49. they are made in europe and i think they are made by Lindt. Always good :P for cheap tasty chocolate. Their own brands of food compared to loblaws are much cheaper but loblaws seems to be bringing their prices down too.

Food deflation hits Western Canadian grocers

Price wars, shifting consumer shopping habits atop business challenges for store owners
By Glen Korstrom | March 24, 2017, 2:52 p.m.

Price wars are forcing Western Canadian grocers to grapple with food deflation as discretionary spending tightens and consumers employ various strategies to reduce spending and trips to grocery stores, according to research from consumer behaviour consultancy Nielsen.

Grocery prices in Western Canada were down 0.9% at the end of 2016, compared with a year earlier, Nielsen vice-president of consumer insights Carman Allison told Western Canada’s largest grocery show, Grocery & Specialty Food West, in Vancouver March 20.

That is three times the 0.3% decline in food prices that Nielsen found nationally.
Business in Vancouver reported on the trend toward food deflation trend in September, but at that point, actual deflation was only taking place in the U.S. and Canada had a nominal 1.1% food-inflation rate.

The steepest drops in Western Canadian grocery prices at the end of 2016 were for fresh vegetables (-5.2%), processed meat (-3.9%) and condiments (-2.7%), according to Nielsen.

Its data shows actual purchases, Allison said, and not the proverbial “basket of goods” that Statistics Canada uses to determine the consumer price index.

https://www.biv.com/article/2017/3/price-war-heats-western-canadian-grocers/

kwoldtimer
Mar 31, 2017, 9:48 PM
Photos: Ladurée Vancouver opens second location inside Holt Renfrew
by Tammy Kwan on March 24th, 2017 at 4:30 PM

http://d2ciprw05cjhos.cloudfront.net/files/v3/styles/gs_large/public/images/17/03/dscn0284.jpg?itok=_FSaaTvD

When the French patisserie Ladurée opened its first Canadian location in Vancouver last year, hundreds of excited and eager macaron-lovers lined up outside its doors on Robson Street.

Today marks the one year anniversary of its grand opening (March 24, 2016), and to celebrate the occasion, a second Ladurée boutique and tea salon (737 Dunsmuir Street) has quietly sprung up inside Holt Renfrew.

“Ladurée’s first international location was actually at Harrod’s in London,” explained Olesya Krakhmalyova, the Canadian licensee for Ladurée. “They like to do beautiful shop-in-shops at distinguished shopping malls and department stores, so for Canada, we saw us being at Holt Renfrew. It is kind of like the best being with the best.”

Situated next to the brand new women’s shoe hall inside the luxury department store, guests can expect the same Ladurée experience inside this shop-in-shop: whimsical and elegant with lots of attention to detail.

The 800-square-foot space incorporates white marble, pastel-coloured macarons and collectibles, and a wallpaper design characterized by charming hot-air balloons.

http://d2ciprw05cjhos.cloudfront.net/files/v3/styles/gs_large/public/images/17/03/dscn0247.jpg?itok=w_2FT8EJ

http://www.straight.com/food/886001/photos-laduree-vancouver-opens-second-location-inside-holt-renfrew

Ladurée looks like a lovely location for Vancouver ladies who lunch!

Proof Sheet
Apr 3, 2017, 2:19 PM
Ladurée looks like a lovely location for Vancouver ladies who lunch!

Exactly. I went to the Cote D'Azur at Christmas time and loved almost all of the food specialities there but for the life of me, I can't get excited about macarons. Emperors new clothes and even McDo carry them there.

Ladies who lunch places to me are places to avoid so I'll be sure to avoid a macaron emporium if it ever comes to where I head to.

Now if they could only combine cupcakes, artisinal olive oil and macarons in a Holt Renfrew.:cheers::cheers: