PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Retail Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81

manny_santos
Dec 3, 2021, 6:34 PM
So now it'll be a Thai-owned British Icon that was founded by an American. What's the big deal? :shrug:

Wonder if visiting Brazilians say it's cool stepping into a Brazilian-owned icon that is Tim Hortons on Robson Street :koko:

Chez Tim Horton, a classy Robson Street icon.

WhipperSnapper
Dec 3, 2021, 6:41 PM
You just opened a Pandora's box.

Tim Hortons is owned by a Canadian holding company. It just so happens the majority owner of the Canadian holding company is owned by a Brazilian holding company. I don't know. Is that the final stage and the Brazilian holding company is own by Brazilian people or are there more layers of holding companies leading to people outside of Brazil?

There's a German family that few would recognize that owns breakfast.

whatnext
Dec 3, 2021, 8:42 PM
China harassing Canadian retailers again:

In 2018, Canada Goose saw the opening of its flagship store in Beijing delayed by days, with the company citing “construction reasons.” The announcement came as tensions between the two countries soared, after Canada detained Huawei Technologies Co. executive Meng Wanzhou due to an extradition request from the U.S. Earlier this year, Canada Goose was fined and criticized by state media for allegedly misleading consumers in some advertisements.

Canada Goose faces a second summons by consumer regulators in Shanghai to explain why it has a different return policy in China than elsewhere after a woman complained she was unable to get a refund for a down coat she bought in a store. The Consumer Council in the financial hub said Thursday that it was dissatisfied with the company’s first explanation and would speak with it again next week...

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/china-warns-canada-goose-may-have-broken-consumer-law-1.1690513

CivicBlues
Dec 3, 2021, 9:09 PM
Oh no!! Shitty overpriced-jacket company from Canada is called to task about their shitty policies. But no, it's evil China is doing it so we must defend our own shitty companies!! :haha:

WhipperSnapper
Dec 3, 2021, 9:52 PM
Overpriced for sure. I don't know how they can avoid buying down from the global market which is mostly from live plucking.

JHikka
Feb 24, 2022, 7:37 PM
Hudson’s Bay to Close Bloor & Yonge Department Store in Downtown Toronto
By Craig Patterson
February 24, 2022

The prominent downtown Toronto Hudson’s Bay department store at 44 Bloor Street East will shut down permanently this spring, marking the end of a 47-year run for the store. From 1974 to 1991 the Bloor & Yonge Hudson’s Bay store acted as the company’s flagship until a former Simpsons store in downtown Toronto was rebranded to a Hudson’s Bay nameplate to replace it.

The news follows a Retail Insider report in July of 2021 after landlord Brookfield removed Bay-branded signage from the top of an office tower on the Hudson’s Bay Centre site. The Hudson’s Bay Centre opened in 1974 with a 340,000 square foot Hudson’s Bay department store as an anchor with the adjacent new tower containing its new head offices.

The store opening on August 7, 1974 was an exciting one given that this was the first Hudson’s Bay-branded location in Toronto, not to mention its new flagship. For years prior to that, the downtown Winnipeg store served as the company’s flagship — the downtown Winnipeg store shut permanently in late 2020.

https://retail-insider.com/bulletin/2022/02/hudsons-bay-to-close-bloor-yonge-department-store-in-downtown-toronto-exclusive/?fbclid=IwAR2nj78_kv6V2nxmuOkK2JO2Q3WuMJYKs4y0ZgBVvo5iN7qWDKPHv-3lZrE

yaletown_fella
Feb 24, 2022, 8:37 PM
Fingers crossed , some TNT will await that bunker after the store closes. Although, I doubt the property owners will tear it down, unfortunately.

trebor204
Feb 25, 2022, 7:06 AM
[QUOTE=JHikka;9548220]Hudson’s Bay to Close Bloor & Yonge Department Store in Downtown Toronto
By Craig Patterson
February 24, 2022

The news follows a Retail Insider report in July of 2021 after landlord Brookfield removed Bay-branded signage from the top of an office tower on the Hudson’s Bay Centre site. The Hudson’s Bay Centre opened in 1974 with a 340,000 square foot Hudson’s Bay department store as an anchor with the adjacent new tower containing its new head offices.

Google Street View from June 2021 shows the removal of the sign.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6699587,-79.3866309,3a,30.8y,350.02h,141.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sf-v8WHo9qz1_lOcusArhAw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

casper
Feb 25, 2022, 11:34 AM
[QUOTE=JHikka;9548220]Hudson’s Bay to Close Bloor & Yonge Department Store in Downtown Toronto
By Craig Patterson
February 24, 2022

Google Street View from June 2021 shows the removal of the sign.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6699587,-79.3866309,3a,30.8y,350.02h,141.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sf-v8WHo9qz1_lOcusArhAw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

What a lovely looking building. In modern bunker style. Ideal building to house your local data center, telephone exchange, transformer yard or fallout shelter.

Hopefully they install some windows. The old bay building in Saskatoon use to have a similar architecture, they were able to save the building and turn it fairly nice lofts by cutting floor to ceiling windows into the building.

Innsertnamehere
Feb 25, 2022, 11:40 AM
Fingers crossed , some TNT will await that bunker after the store closes. Although, I doubt the property owners will tear it down, unfortunately.

Brookfield will likely demolish it in quick order - the TTC has reached a deal to have it demolished for it to make their Bloor-Yonge station expansion project far cheaper (I saw a 30% number somewhere for the cost implications of demolishing it vs expanding the station with the store still above). Brookfield will then get the joy having a large blank slate for new development right at Yonge and Bloor.

The bay is closing here mostly for that reason, not because the Bay is rationalizing it’s store footprints. (There are much lower hanging fruit to shoot on that front, just look at Burlington).

JHikka
Feb 25, 2022, 2:34 PM
Brookfield will likely demolish it in quick order - the TTC has reached a deal to have it demolished for it to make their Bloor-Yonge station expansion project far cheaper (I saw a 30% number somewhere for the cost implications of demolishing it vs expanding the station with the store still above). Brookfield will then get the joy having a large blank slate for new development right at Yonge and Bloor.
From what I remember TTC wants to move the Line 1 platforms so that the entrances are more at the centre of the platform instead of at one end like they are today. They also want to add a separate platform for Line 2 so that it is dual platform instead of single platform. IIRC there was an issue with installing a new HVAC or pump station or something which is remediated if The Bay building is bulldozed.

WhipperSnapper
Feb 25, 2022, 2:42 PM

It's a lot of space to demolish but, who else will lease it? Is there another BMO/Eaton Centre opportunity? See no reason they couldn't replace the space with a 800,000 square foot tower. IIRC, Bell has also sold 15 Asquith.

WhipperSnapper
Feb 25, 2022, 2:51 PM
From what I remember TTC wants to move the Line 1 platforms so that the entrances are more at the centre of the platform instead of at one end like they are today. They also want to add a separate platform for Line 2 so that it is dual platform instead of single platform. IIRC there was an issue with installing a new HVAC or pump station or something which is remediated if The Bay building is bulldozed.

IIRC, The centre and north end of Line 1 is directly under Bloor Street. It doesn't extend under the Bay. The expansion of the Line 1 platforms were tied to the construction of the Xerox tower on the south side of Bloor. The Bay redevelopment would be more of an opportunity for Line 2.

Martin Mtl
Feb 25, 2022, 6:59 PM
Montreal’s Gay Village Ready for Retail Revival Amid New Area Developments: Developer (https://retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2022/02/montreals-gay-village-ready-for-retail-revival-amid-new-area-developments-developer/)

https://retailinsider.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/montreal-3.jpeg

Montreal boutique developer MTRPL has a knack of finding unique but under-utilized or unused, buildings in high traffic areas and turning them into gems that not only fit into their neighbourhoods but draw people to those areas.

The latest project is a historic bank property from the 1920s located on Sainte Catherine E in the heart of Gay Village, said Bryan Spatzner Co-Founder of MTRPL.

“It’s a primary commercial artery that is in need of some urban revitalization, which we plan to be a big part of. The area has a tremendous amount of master planned projects going on. The city of Montreal has coined the area the Quartier des Faubourgs.

“We’ve certainly been busy and Gay Village, Sainte Catherine Street is like a new area we’ve identified as a target.”

The building was originally built by the District and Savings Bank which later was purchased by the Laurentian Bank. In the early 2000s, Laurentian divested most of its real estate. The building is 18,000 square feet with two upper floors fully leased out to the Quebec government.

“There’s about 6,000 square feet of vacant space on the ground floor which is where we create the value and where we’re looking for a tenant. It’s a beautiful space,” said Spatzner, adding it has coffered ceilings, a marble floor, intricate woodwork throughout, gold leaf on the ceiling, with about 15-foot high ceilings, arched windows.

It’s at the corner at Saint-Timothée Street right next to the Metro Station.

Complete article from Retail Insider (https://retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2022/02/montreals-gay-village-ready-for-retail-revival-amid-new-area-developments-developer/)

https://retailinsider.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/montreal-12.jpeg

https://retailinsider.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/montreal-1.jpeg

lio45
Mar 29, 2022, 10:49 PM
Is it deliberate that in someone123's formula, unless you have at least two Popeyes locations, the number of pro teams you have doesn't matter at all? :P

Denscity
Mar 30, 2022, 1:18 AM
Is it deliberate that in someone123's formula, unless you have at least two Popeyes locations, the number of pro teams you have doesn't matter at all? :P

:haha:

someone123
Mar 30, 2022, 2:13 AM

1 Popeyes is just a stop by the highway, 2 is a real city.

jamincan
Mar 30, 2022, 10:14 AM
1 Popeyes is just a stop by the highway, 2 is a real city.

I think we have at least 4, maybe more in Waterloo region; does that make us a megalopolis than?

Acajack
Mar 30, 2022, 11:37 AM
I think we have at least 4, maybe more in Waterloo region; does that make us a megalopolis than?

Montreal has none.

Martin Mtl
Mar 30, 2022, 12:10 PM
Montreal has none.

I didn’t even know about Popeye chain before reading this thread. Poor, isolated Montreal.

MonctonRad
Mar 30, 2022, 12:34 PM
Montreal has none.

The aversion of US chains (and some Canadian chains) to set up in Quebec also sideswipes Atlantic Canada.

It means that to many such businesses that rely on franchising, that Atlantic Canada seems "apart" from the ROC, and more difficult to get to or service. I'm sure that's the reason why many international franchises populate the rest of Canada before finally coming here..........

MolsonExport
Mar 30, 2022, 12:41 PM
it is just a chicken joint. Slightly better quality than Dirty Bird (KFC).
Montreal has the world's greatest chicken restaurant (Chalet BBQ, on Sherbrooke Ouest).

Acajack
Mar 30, 2022, 1:02 PM
The aversion of US chains (and some Canadian chains) to set up in Quebec also sideswipes Atlantic Canada.

It means that to many such businesses that rely on franchising, that Atlantic Canada seems "apart" from the ROC, and more difficult to get to or service. I'm sure that's the reason why many international franchises populate the rest of Canada before finally coming here..........

I think this is very true.

It's less cost-effective on a number of fronts to operate a handful of locations when you have an 800 km* dead zone with no presence at all.

*Or even more than 1000 km if you consider where cities of decent size where you'd want a location are in New Brunswick.

lio45
Mar 30, 2022, 1:11 PM
1 Popeyes is just a stop by the highway, 2 is a real city.If I were philantropist enough, I'd be in a position to single-handedly bring my hometown (Sherbrooke QC) into the big leagues: https://franchising.popeyes.com/

Acajack
Mar 30, 2022, 1:32 PM
If I were philantropist enough, I'd be in a position to single-handedly bring my hometown (Sherbrooke QC) into the big leagues: https://franchising.popeyes.com/

I don't doubt that but I think that it's probably Popeye's itself that is resisting entering Quebec.

There are lots of people in Montreal with lots of money, and many people there are aware of Popeye's due to travel in Ontario and the US.

I am sure Popeye's have already been approached by multiple people wanting franchises in Montreal especially, but for some reason I guess they've all been turned down.

jamincan
Mar 30, 2022, 1:33 PM

More seriously, I have read that Kitchener and/or London are often early test markets for US chains entering Canada outside of Toronto, so it's probably not the best point of comparison. We now have Chick-fil-A in Kitchener, for example, which along with Windsor are the only locations in Canada outside Toronto. I don't get the fuss, to be honest - I thought the chicken was pretty mediocre, on par with Mcdonalds, and the waffle fries were limp and disappointing. Sadly, judging from the massive line-ups that they still get at their drive through months after opening, you can expect wider expansion to the rest of the country. :(

vanatox
Mar 30, 2022, 1:41 PM
I don't doubt that but I think that it's probably Popeye's itself that is resisting entering Quebec.

This could be it but it could be due to the the fact it is a chain selling fried chicken.. those kind of restaurants do not do well in Quebec (just look at PFK (KFC)).

lio45
Mar 30, 2022, 1:43 PM
Ontario is punching above its weight in Popeyes!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51971059831_fcf9a5d0d0_o.png (https://flic.kr/p/2nbvgrH)popeyes (https://flic.kr/p/2nbvgrH)

lio45
Mar 30, 2022, 1:47 PM

There are lots of people in Montreal with lots of money, and many people there are aware of Popeye's due to travel in Ontario and the US.

I am sure Popeye's have already been approached by multiple people wanting franchises in Montreal especially, but for some reason I guess they've all been turned down.This could be it but it could be due to the the fact it is a chain selling fried chicken.. those kind of restaurants do not do well in Quebec (just look at PFK (KFC)).I doubt that it's the chain that's saying no (to good, solvent franchisees).

There are already tons of restaurants per capita in this province, and KFC already has that market and it's not that big of a segment.

It's harder to enter a market than to thrive in it if you're there already.

Consider In-N-Out in SoCal; they do well, but if I were to try to open some in Quebec, where they'd compete with everything that's there already (McD's, Burger King, La Belle Province, A&W, etc.), I'd likely fail. It would take too long to get established, you'd have to cross a long desert of unprofitability before having any hope of being in the black, and it's not worth it.

Acajack
Mar 30, 2022, 1:48 PM
For the record, there is a "Popeye's" not too far from me in Gatineau, but it's this place:

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x4cce1b49a4313455%3A0x20cef6c28f492ff3!3m1!7e115!4s%2Fmaps%2Fplace%2Fpopeyes%2Bgatineau%2F%4045.4678063%2C-75.7005396%2C3a%2C75y%2C267.81h%2C90t%2Fdata%3D*213m4*211e1*213m2*211s253smZj-PL4F6q5RDms1kg*212e0*214m2*213m1*211s0x4cce1b49a4313455%3A0x20cef6c28f492ff3%3Fsa%3DX!5spopeyes%20gatineau%20-%20Google%20Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e2!2s253smZj-PL4F6q5RDms1kg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi6nZzF_O32AhVDHc0KHSj8DosQpx96BAgjEAg

MonctonRad
Mar 30, 2022, 1:48 PM
Ontario is punching above its weight in Popeyes!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51971059831_fcf9a5d0d0_o.png (https://flic.kr/p/2nbvgrH)popeyes (https://flic.kr/p/2nbvgrH)

This no doubt reflects the overwhelming urbanity of southern Ontario - a true paradise. :)

BTW, what's up with Wyoming? Is Cheyenne not urban enough for a Popeye's??? :haha:

Acajack
Mar 30, 2022, 1:50 PM
This could be it but it could be due to the the fact it is a chain selling fried chicken.. those kind of restaurants do not do well in Quebec (just look at PFK (KFC)).

Yes, Quebec is rôtisserie chicken territory, not fried chicken territory.

lio45
Mar 30, 2022, 1:50 PM
The aversion of US chains (and some Canadian chains) to set up in Quebec also sideswipes Atlantic Canada.That's clear in the Popeyes map posted above :P

Which, for the record, settles the Maine vs Nova Scotia debate. NS is grey, ME is orange.

MonctonRad
Mar 30, 2022, 1:52 PM
That's clear in the Popeyes map posted above :P

Although Halifax's first Popeye's opens today (coincidentally), and both Moncton and Fredericton will be getting outlets later this year or next.

This will leave PEI, NL, WY, the territories, and QC........ :rolleyes:

lio45
Mar 30, 2022, 1:53 PM
This no doubt reflects the overwhelming urbanity of southern Ontario - a true paradise. :)

BTW, what's up with Wyoming? Is Cheyenne not urban enough for a Popeye's??? :haha:Yeah, I was thinking, if you put a gun to my head and forced me to get a franchise, it wouldn't be in Quebec, it would be alongside Interstate 80 in Wyoming.

lio45
Mar 30, 2022, 1:55 PM
Although Halifax's first Popeye's opens today (coincidentally), and both Moncton and Fredericton will be getting outlets later this year or next.I missed that part of the thread. (Must be why we're discussing it right now: I know SSP well enough to guess that someone from NS bragged about it, and that's how this whole (mocking, by most) discussion got launched.)

jamincan
Mar 30, 2022, 2:14 PM
I missed that part of the thread. (Must be why we're discussing it right now: I know SSP well enough to guess that someone from NS bragged about it, and that's how this whole (mocking, by most) discussion got launched.)

It grew out of a map of remoteness in Canada that was based on some really questionable data points.

q12
Mar 30, 2022, 2:16 PM
The line up in Halifax this morning from Twitter:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FPGkBYBWQAgs_0f?format=jpg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FPGm_ycXwAY20ey?format=jpg&name=medium

Drive thru lined up the street:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FPGlV2eX0AsesbY?format=jpg&name=medium

le calmar
Mar 30, 2022, 2:21 PM
Congrats to Halifax on joining the big leagues! Quebec on the other hand :rolleyes:

JHikka
Mar 30, 2022, 2:22 PM
how can I possibly be expected to enjoy my visit to Quebec if there aren't any Popeyes there

Acajack
Mar 30, 2022, 2:24 PM
I doubt that it's the chain that's saying no (to good, solvent franchisees).

Translating signage, printed products, training materials, software for cash registers, order screens, employee schedules, advertising, etc. is (seen as) a huge pain the ass by a lot of American chains.

Whereas operating in Ontario is almost as simple as operating in a different state for them. You see that with signage and product labelling that often use American spelling like "color" and "center". Just one example.

Obviously many of them don't do much at all to adapt to the Canadian market when they're in the ROC.

lio45
Mar 30, 2022, 2:30 PM
Translating signage, printed products, training materials, software for cash registers, order screens, employee schedules, advertising, etc. is (seen as) a huge pain the ass by a lot of American chains.

Whereas operating in Ontario is almost as simple as operating in a different state for them. You see that with signage and product labelling that often use American spelling like "color" and "center". Just one example.

Obviously many of them don't do much at all to adapt to the Canadian market when they're in the ROC.Sure, but again, if some obsessed Montreal franchisee wants to pay for all that, I doubt it's the chain who's going to say no.

Those factors are a barrier to entry, sure. Quebec likes fried chicken less than other places, AND it's a costlier market to enter, so, as I said earlier, I'd obviously pick Wyoming first.

Eventually, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the only grey place on that map (except for the North), with Cheyenne, St. John's and Charlottetown all getting Popeyes locations some day.

Martin Mtl
Mar 30, 2022, 3:03 PM

That may be because we have so many other, better options.

https://montreal.eater.com/maps/best-fried-chicken-meilleur-poulet-frit-montreal

someone123
Mar 30, 2022, 3:07 PM
I must admit I have never been to Popeyes. I had a look on Google Maps and they are in remote parts of Canada like Richmond and Langley. Perhaps someday I will assemble the requisite team of Sherpas.

lio45
Mar 30, 2022, 3:17 PM
I must admit I have never been to Popeyes. I had a look on Google Maps and they are in remote parts of Canada like Richmond and Langley. Perhaps someday I will assemble the requisite team of Sherpas.I entered my Vancouver address in Popeyes' restaurant locator, and it said "No location anywhere nearby."

MonctonRad
Mar 30, 2022, 3:30 PM
:previous:

The new Halifax location is located in the deepest darkest Larry Uteck Blvd region - no place that an urbanist peninsular Haligonian would dare venture (thar be dragons.....) :D

Acajack
Mar 30, 2022, 3:37 PM

The new Halifax location is located in the deepest darkest Larry Uteck Blvd region - no place that an urbanist peninsular Haligonian would dare venture (thar be dragons.....) :D

...in the trendy area of Larry Uteck Boulevard in Bedford, NS.

https://canadify.com/2022/03/13/popeyes-chicken-set-to-open-halifax-location-in-march-2022/

Acajack
Mar 30, 2022, 3:38 PM
Aspirational (ironic or not) discussions about which cities have or should have certain American chains is also Peak SSP Canada.

MonctonRad
Mar 30, 2022, 3:41 PM
Aspirational (ironic or not) discussions about which cities have or should have certain American chains is also Peak SSP Canada.

Indeed, but it's so much fun......... :haha:

Acajack
Mar 30, 2022, 3:43 PM
I was just looking up the "trendy Larry Uteck Blvd. area" on Google Maps and noticed there is also an IHOP (International House of Pancakes) very close to the new Popeye's.

IHOP is another US chain that I am pretty sure is not present in Quebec.

le calmar
Mar 30, 2022, 3:48 PM
What’s interesting about IHOP is, their only presence in Canada beside NS and NB is in Niagara Falls.

lio45
Mar 30, 2022, 3:54 PM
What’s interesting about IHOP is, their only presence in Canada beside NS and NB is in Niagara Falls.Without any googling, I'd venture a guess that it's because IHOP is Northeast-based.

Similarly, if In-N-Out ever opens a location in Canada, it's likely going to be in the West.

Blitz
Mar 30, 2022, 3:54 PM
Cripes, I didn't realize Popeye's was so absent in the rest of Canada. There are 7 of them just in London alone.

MonctonRad
Mar 30, 2022, 3:56 PM
What’s interesting about IHOP is, their only presence in Canada beside NS and NB is in Niagara Falls.

The NB and NS franchisor for IHOP (Corey Craig Developments) also brought in a Carrabba's Italian Grill for their new Hyatt Place Hotel in Moncton. This is a popular chain in the southern US, especially Florida. This is the first Carrabba's in Canada. I think these guys spend a lot of time in the deep south in the wintertime. :)

Corey Craig also owns about 40 Tim Horton's restaurants in southeastern NB too. This is how they made their money. They have since been diversifying......

lio45
Mar 30, 2022, 4:08 PM
Corey Craig also owns about 40 Tim Horton's restaurants in southeastern NB too. This is how they made their money. They have since been diversifying......It's depressing to realize that it's possible to make large scale money by operating Tim Hortons locations.

One can't monetize irritation in this country, but one can certainly monetize stale donuts and disgusting coffee. :P

Sad.

JustForTheHalibut
Mar 30, 2022, 4:09 PM
Cripes, I didn't realize Popeye's was so absent in the rest of Canada. There are 7 of them just in London alone.

wow, that's half as many as the entire lower mainland, IF you include C'wack.
The smallest cities in Western Canada that have a Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen is Lloydminster or Prince Albert, Sask. not sure which is smaller.

omg, I just realized now that Denny's is the equivalent of International House of HePatitis in the rest of Canada :slob:

There's an IHOP in Winnipeg.

They're in BC too, Kelowna is the closest I think

Biff
Mar 30, 2022, 4:09 PM

Popeye's are all over Winnipeg too.

lio45
Mar 30, 2022, 4:11 PM

The new Halifax location is located in the deepest darkest Larry Uteck Blvd region - no place that an urbanist peninsular Haligonian would dare venture (thar be dragons.....) :DJust tried a random Downtown Halifax address (I didn't even have to look anything up, thanks to SSP; I went with 100 Barrington St) and it also said "No Popeyes Anywhere Nearby, Sorry".

I think the current value of the Popeyes Variable for Halifax and Vancouver in the remoteness equation should be 0 at the moment.

Proof: Popeyes' Canadian location locator. (The ultimate authority on that question.)

QED

urbandreamer
Mar 30, 2022, 4:19 PM
IHOP has opened a location in Brampton iirc. Popeyes was new to me when I went to their first Toronto location, Eglinton West of Marlee summer 2000. But now I associate it with obese coworkers, many from the Caribbean, eating it during lunch.

Acajack
Mar 30, 2022, 4:21 PM
My kids know most of these chains due to travels in the US but their view is either that there is usually something missing in their Canadian locations that doesn't make them worth it.

Most of them are in fact absent from Quebec (though some are present just across the river from us in Ottawa) but generally speaking they don't or wouldn't frequent them here in Canada.

I think this is probably a fairly typical view in Quebec.

(Note that this only appears to apply to food. Not so much to other forms of retail, it seems.)

le calmar
Mar 30, 2022, 4:23 PM

Popeye's are all over Winnipeg too.

Yeah my bad, looks like they have a small presence in all of the Western provinces.

q12
Mar 30, 2022, 4:25 PM
Another popular U.S. retailer than is now in Canada, including here in Halifax is L.L. Bean which hasn't come to Quebec yet.

https://www.llbean.ca/Retail.html
https://i.postimg.cc/3wZ8XjLz/llbean.png

MonctonRad
Mar 30, 2022, 4:40 PM

There are strong rumours that LL Bean is coming to Moncton too. They are renovating an appropriate sized space at CF Champlain (same size as the Halifax store). There has however been no official announcement yet. Opening is rumoured to be in September (or thereabouts)

urbandreamer
Mar 30, 2022, 4:42 PM
Many of these newish fast food franchises are owned by South Asians. As their population increases, so to will the growth in American fast food brands. I'm thinking about all the SA I see running gas stations, hotel chains, Tim Hortons, Popeyes, A&W etc.

Acajack
Mar 30, 2022, 4:50 PM
Another popular U.S. retailer than is now in Canada, including here in Halifax is L.L. Bean which hasn't come to Quebec yet.
ç]

Quebec misses out yet again!

MonctonRad
Mar 30, 2022, 4:57 PM
Quebec misses out yet again!

It's OK, the main LL Bean store in Freeport isn't that far from Old Orchard Beach. :)

Acajack
Mar 30, 2022, 5:09 PM
It's OK, the main LL Bean store in Freeport isn't that far from Old Orchard Beach. :)

:)

Their flagship store in North Conway NH is also a couple of hours south of Sherbrooke.

MolsonExport
Mar 30, 2022, 5:24 PM
I was just looking up the "trendy Larry Uteck Blvd. area" on Google Maps and noticed there is also an IHOP (International House of Pancakes) very close to the new Popeye's.

IHOP is another US chain that I am pretty sure is not present in Quebec.

You dodged a bullet. IHOP is awful. They don't even offer real maple syrup. On fucking pancakes.

I love the Quebec-based chains like Lafleur's. Total garbage food, but really hits the spot a few times a year. Commodified casse-croûte.

theman23
Mar 30, 2022, 5:27 PM
IHOP has opened a location in Brampton iirc. Popeyes was new to me when I went to their first Toronto location, Eglinton West of Marlee summer 2000. But now I associate it with obese coworkers, many from the Caribbean, eating it during lunch.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying due to your phrasing, but Popeyes has been in Toronto since the 1980s.

lio45
Mar 30, 2022, 5:28 PM
I love the Quebec-based chains like Lafleur's. Total garbage food, but really hits the spot a few times a year. Commodified casse-croûte.For junk food, whenever I'm in the Montreal area, I kind of like:

https://lepetitquebec.com/fr/

Gives me a '70s/'80s vibe for some reason. Very Québécois too.

Regionally restricted, they're absent from the areas I'm most often in (Quebec City, Sherbrooke, Trois-Rivières). It's probably why whenever I'm in a "junk food is acceptable" situation (not that often...) AND I'm in that chain's territory, I'll go for it.

MolsonExport
Mar 30, 2022, 5:35 PM
For junk food, whenever I'm in the Montreal area, I kind of like:

https://lepetitquebec.com/fr/

Gives me a '70s/'80s vibe for some reason. Very Québécois too.

Regionally restricted, they're absent from the areas I'm most often in (Quebec City, Sherbrooke, Trois-Rivières). It's probably why whenever I'm in a "junk food is acceptable" situation (not that often...) AND I'm in that chain's territory, I'll go for it.

I've never tried it (nor seen it) but maybe next time I am in La Belle Province, I will check it out. Poutine any good there?

Acajack
Mar 30, 2022, 5:49 PM
You dodged a bullet. IHOP is awful. They don't even offer real maple syrup. On fucking pancakes.

Quebec has a pretty robust homegrown breakfast restaurant chain scene, with places like Chez Cora, Allô Mon Coco and Tutti Frutti, among others. A few of them have branched out into other provinces too.

I think this makes it difficult for US chains to penetrate the market and explains why we don't have Denny's, IHOP, Perkins, etc. here.

As is often the case, Perkins used Gatineau as a test Quebec market a number of years ago, but they failed. Their old Gatineau location is now occupied by Scores, a Quebec rôtisserie chain that's a bit of a St-Hubert knockoff.

MonctonRad
Mar 30, 2022, 6:02 PM

We have three Chez Cora's in Moncton and two Pur & Simple (also a Quebec based breakfast chain). They do well. I like Pur & Simple - they have a restaurant in my neighbourhood.

My go to for breakfast is the Irving Big Stop in Salisbury, but Pur & Simple is a strong second choice. Hynes Restaurant on Mountain Road is a Moncton institution but I rarely go there.

I go to IHOP maybe 1-2x per year. I find it expensive and mediocre. I'm also not a big fan of pancakes.

q12
Mar 30, 2022, 6:45 PM
Popeyes update: line up for the drive-thru keeps getting longer. lol.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FPHG24yXwAsWYVN?format=jpg&name=large
https://twitter.com/stureece76/status/1509206000263389189

Nashe
Mar 30, 2022, 7:57 PM
I've not eaten at the Moncton IHOP yet, but if it's anything like the ones S of the border (where I have), it's... meh.

Pur n Simple was fairly equivalent to Cora's food-wise, but the restaurant was laid out with small tables close together so it was louder and a bit distracting.

I admit I rather like Cora's. Great place for a lot of varied breakfast stuff that doesn't make you feel (too) terrible. Downside is the price, but we don't do it often.

Acajack
Mar 30, 2022, 8:13 PM
Popeyes update: line up for the drive-thru keeps getting longer. lol.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FPHG24yXwAsWYVN?format=jpg&name=large
https://twitter.com/stureece76/status/1509206000263389189

Great aerial of the "very trendy Larry Uteck Blvd. area"!

Denscity
Mar 30, 2022, 8:17 PM
There's a Cora on Robson Street in Vancouver.
Is that the same company that supplies airline food?

Acajack
Mar 30, 2022, 8:20 PM
There's a Cora on Robson Street in Vancouver.
Is that the same company that supplies airline food?

No. The airline food is Cara I think.

MolsonExport
Mar 30, 2022, 8:33 PM
Cara airline food is almost nonedible, so does it qualify as food?

"Chicken or pasta?"

(or, "Can I interest you in overcooked, undersized boiled chicken breast, vs. chef Boyardee lasagna? Both come with a bitter arugula salad, some expired fruit salad, and a cellophane-wrapped brownie. Oh and you have a fine choice of shitty Niagara wines")

urbandreamer
Mar 30, 2022, 8:38 PM
Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying due to your phrasing, but Popeyes has been in Toronto since the 1980s.

What I meant is the first few times I ate there was summer 2000 when I worked along that Eglinton West strip. I grew up eating Southern Style food - biscuits, fried chicken, gravy, tacos, tamales, Tex-Mex, grits etc.

And that reminds me, other than maple syrup, we'd put Steen's cane syrup on our home made buckwheat pancakes.

Chick-fil-A has just opened near Queen and Spadina. The one at Yonge/Bloor seems to attract teenagers/students from Ryerson.

manny_santos
Mar 30, 2022, 8:46 PM
I must admit I have never been to Popeyes. I had a look on Google Maps and they are in remote parts of Canada like Richmond and Langley. Perhaps someday I will assemble the requisite team of Sherpas.

They have been expanding in Metro Vancouver. They opened one in Burnaby last year, on the border with New Westminster.

Church's Chicken is well-established here, so that's an additional challenge they have in this market.

manny_santos
Mar 30, 2022, 8:47 PM
wow, that's half as many as the entire lower mainland, IF you include C'wack.
The smallest cities in Western Canada that have a Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen is Lloydminster or Prince Albert, Sask. not sure which is smaller.

omg, I just realized now that Denny's is the equivalent of International House of HePatitis in the rest of Canada :slob:

They're in BC too, Kelowna is the closest I think

New Westminster has an IHOP.

Denscity
Mar 30, 2022, 10:20 PM

So close lol.

Wigs
Mar 30, 2022, 10:44 PM

I love the Quebec-based chains like Lafleur's. Total garbage food, but really hits the spot a few times a year. Commodified casse-croûte.

Agreed, IHOP is F*****g awful.

Cora is where it's at

https://i.ibb.co/GRfR7Kd/6as1ds.jpg

thewave46
Mar 30, 2022, 10:44 PM
Cara airline food is almost nonedible, so does it qualify as food?

"Chicken or pasta?"

(or, "Can I interest you in overcooked, undersized boiled chicken breast, vs. chef Boyardee lasagna? Both come with a bitter arugula salad, some expired fruit salad, and a cellophane-wrapped brownie. Oh and you have a fine choice of shitty Niagara wines")

Given that you are being served food in an aluminum tube flying several vertical miles in the air travelling at hundreds of kilometres an hour to a whole different part of the globe - indeed, literally sitting inside modernity for a relative pittance of a modern salary - complaining about the food seems somewhat trite, no? Want a decent meal? Have it at the airport pre-flight.

Then again, we live in an age of unappreciated miracles. America wanted to watch scripted TV sitcoms more than colour TV from the moon during Apollo 17 in 1972.

Go to the Grand Canyon and watch the people make a beeline to the gift store/stare at their phones.

These things say things about people. It's not very complimentary.

WhipperSnapper
Mar 30, 2022, 10:58 PM
There were quite a few Carribbean chicken takeout places when I was working in downtown Toronto; one near Yonge and Shuter always had a long line at lunch. (nearly as long as the BK in the Exchange Tower on Whopper Wednesdays) I think I went to a Popeyes only once

Djeffery
Mar 30, 2022, 11:22 PM
They have been expanding in Metro Vancouver. They opened one in Burnaby last year, on the border with New Westminster.

Church's Chicken is well-established here, so that's an additional challenge they have in this market.

I just noticed a Church's just recently opened in London. I remember back in the 90's, all the Harvey's around here had Church's Chicken signs up on them as well, which I thought was funny with Harvey's being owned by the same company as Swiss Chalet.

q12
Mar 30, 2022, 11:34 PM
CBC Drone footage of Popeye's lineup that has backed up on to the freeway and through 3 separate roundabouts:

A new Popeyes fast food restaurant opened today near #Halifax #Bedford. This is at highway 102 and Larry Uteck. People in their vehicles lined up for hours.
@CBCNS

https://twitter.com/CBCcameraman/status/1509290212609904649

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FPILqx1WQAIQ_yY?format=jpg&name=large
https://twitter.com/shaunlowe/status/1509282964127072265

Apparently it's a 2.5 - 3 hour wait.

ivegotaname
Mar 30, 2022, 11:43 PM
Wish sbbaro pizza was in the Canada best pizza ever after Bostonian

thewave46
Mar 30, 2022, 11:46 PM

I...what?

It's fucking Popeye's. Mass produced industrial food, this location which shall be around for years. It's not some limited-time thing.

Modern day consumer culture is both fascinating and morbidly depressing.

casper
Mar 30, 2022, 11:52 PM

Cara got their start being the catering arm of Canadian National Railway. They they started doing airline for Air Canada when Air Canada was still part of CN in its early history.

They sold off the airline business some years ago. Today Cara is called Recipe Unlimited and they own Swish Chalet, Harvey's, New York Fries, St-Hubert, Original Joe, Casey's, Elephant and Castle, The Keg, Montana's, Kelsey's and a few more.

They have come a long way from railroad dinning cars and station cafeterias.

Djeffery
Mar 30, 2022, 11:54 PM
I...what?

It's fucking Popeye's. Mass produced industrial food, this location which shall be around for years. It's not some limited-time thing.

Yeah, like, do they not realize this is the same corporation as Tim Hortons and Burger King? How special do they think it's going to be?

Proof Sheet
Mar 31, 2022, 12:45 AM
I...what?

Well said. I can't remember the last time I was at a drive-thru and I don't think I've ever gone to one as the driver. Popeye's is gut rot pure and simple.

lio45
Mar 31, 2022, 12:53 AM
I...what?Exactly my reaction too! :haha:

I had no opinions on Nova Scotians, but now I do. And it's not flattering.

Wigs
Mar 31, 2022, 1:09 AM
Exactly my reaction too! :haha:

I had no opinions on Nova Scotians, but now I do. And it's not flattering.

It makes me embarrassed to be Canadian:haha:
so I can only imagine how some Nova Scotians must feel

casper
Mar 31, 2022, 1:13 AM
It makes me embarrassed to be Canadian:haha:
so I can only imagine how some Nova Scotians must feel

Do we know what they put in the chicken?

My only experience with that chain comes from being stuck in airports where that is the only thing that looks remotely like "real food". I did not think it was all the good. Are they spiking it with something?

Loco101
Mar 31, 2022, 2:00 AM
Cara got their start being the catering arm of Canadian National Railway. They they started doing airline for Air Canada when Air Canada was still part of CN in its early history.

They sold off the airline business some years ago. Today Cara is called Recipe Unlimited and they own Swish Chalet, Harvey's, New York Fries, St-Hubert, Original Joe, Casey's, Elephant and Castle, The Keg, Montana's, Kelsey's and a few more.

They have come a long way from railroad dinning cars and station cafeterias.

And the company is no longer involved in supplier food for onboard airplanes. That part of the company was bought out by Gate Gourmet which is a Swiss company.

The company also has East Side Mario's which is probably the worst of all of their brands. None of my friends with Italian background eat there lol.

Loco101
Mar 31, 2022, 2:09 AM

In Ontario you can be fined for blocking a roadway like that. Vehicles here are not allowed to be waiting on the roadway waiting to go to the drive-thru.

That is extremely sad that people are that excited about Popeye's. Wow.

Timmins is even supposed to get a Popeye's but I hope we don't because it's very unhealthy and uninteresting.

The chain doesn't do well everywhere. It seems to do well with people of particular backgrounds. But it doesn't have much of a menu. Just fried chicken and shrimp with terrible and also unhealthy sides. I have yet to meet anyone who said that it stood out in any way.

MonctonRad
Mar 31, 2022, 2:51 AM
CBC Drone footage of Popeye's lineup that has backed up on to the freeway and through 3 separate roundabouts:

I was just reading Halifax ReTales Twitter feed. Apparently it got so bad, the restaurant sent out staff to give people in the line-up for the drive-thru free biscuits if they agreed to leave the line-up and come back later. Some people became irate, shouted at the staff and threw the biscuits back at them. :rolleyes:

The restaurant eventually ran out of chicken. :haha:

Popeyes is apparently the biggest thing to happen to Halifax in the last few years..........

AuxTown
Mar 31, 2022, 3:53 AM
WTF would you wait in that kind of lineup for Popeyes when you have Mary Brown's?? Much better chicken IMO and a great Canadian brand. Not to mention the wedge fries!