PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Retail Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81

WhipperSnapper
Mar 31, 2022, 4:03 AM
The Popeye's chicken sandwich is a viral sensation; bigger than the McRib. People have been murdered for it. Give Halifax a break

People lined up for hours in their cars when the first Krispy Kreme opened in Mississauga/Toronto. They stood in line for hours when the first Uncle Testu opened on Bay Street. I stood 3 hours in line for a new roller coaster at Canada's Wonderland.

manny_santos
Mar 31, 2022, 5:44 AM
Jolibee also recently opened a location in Vancouver, and it had lineups that made Popeye’s in Halifax look like a deserted KFC.

I believe some people waited as long as 4 hours.

I’ve been to a Jolibee in Toronto, it was average fried chicken. But it also is a huge deal for Filipinos, as it’s a taste of home.

zahav
Mar 31, 2022, 6:02 AM
Not sure where the comments about IHOP being limited in the west come from? Western Canada is their main territory. BC has eight locations in eight different cities, and there are nine in Alberta in 5 different cities. Ontario has seven, all in Niagara (?!?!). Their location in Richmond is actually an original classic design with the super steeped roof, very old school.

There are so many Popeyes in Metro Van now, again not sure where people are thinking there's limited? Mary Brown's is limited, but at least there's a few now, compared to 0 just a few years back. And so many Church's locations of course

SpongeG
Mar 31, 2022, 6:49 AM
the IHOP in New West is the old school one too

https://pr0.nicelocal.ca/ATUNUZLoYaoL299UWzr6dw/630x384,q85/4px-BW84_n0QJGVPszge3NRBsKw-2VcOifrJIjPYFYkOtaCZxxXQ2UCRQSWu0B_LShMBRpPvfLF10QYSsfWByNiJ0HcEZ6XBh88ZLdaNvkIZPUOxPDjX8w
source (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fnicelocal.ca%2Fbritish-columbia%2Ftown-new_westminster%2Frestaurants%2Ftype-family_restaurant%2F&psig=AOvVaw0go_fcmyF7xxb6pIbFM6oi&ust=1648795697417000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAwQjhxqFwoTCMCyq-bg7_YCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD)

cslusarc
Mar 31, 2022, 7:22 AM
Popeye's Chicken (& sides) are more flavourful than Winnipeg's Chicken Delight.

jamincan
Mar 31, 2022, 8:46 AM
Popeyes apparently updated the recipe recently and I genuinely think their chicken stands heads and shoulders above the rest (including May Browns). Using the nuggets as an example, as that's what I've had most recently, it was real chunks of white meat that I believe had been brined and the crust was thick and crispy. Their Cajun fries are also fantastic. Their biscuits are easy too salty, though, and taste like fake butter to me.

niwell
Mar 31, 2022, 1:20 PM
Popeyes is legitimately good, and not just from a fast food standpoint. Yes, there is better fried chicken out there at some independent places but I haven't had anything close at the price point. I've seen extremely incredulous people turned around on this too. There's a reason local in New Orleans still love Popeyes, despite the overwhelming amount of good food in that city.

I mean, I still wouldn't line up for it (or almost any food), but doing so is far from a Canadian phenomenon.

Also, am I the only one who finds Cora to be pretty underwhelming / overpriced? I remember it being better in Ottawa during the early 2000s but last time I went was quite disappointed. Plenty of local breakfast places that are better and cheaper. Maybe it's due to growing up in Western Canada but I am not too fussed about having fake syrup for certain types of breakfast (greasy, diner) - it's very much a time and place kinda thing to me.

Nashe
Mar 31, 2022, 1:29 PM
Also, am I the only one who finds Cora to be pretty underwhelming / overpriced? I remember it being better in Ottawa during the early 2000s but last time I went was quite disappointed. Plenty of local breakfast places that are better and cheaper. Maybe it's due to growing up in Western Canada but I am not too fussed about having fake syrup for certain types of breakfast (greasy, diner) - it's very much a time and place kinda thing to me.
It's definitely not cheap, but also definitely not "greasy"... at least that doesn't jibe with my experience. We have a lot of "typical" diner/truck-stop breakfast places too and they are generally a lot greasier.

niwell
Mar 31, 2022, 1:33 PM
It's definitely not cheap, but also definitely not "greasy"... at least that doesn't jibe with my experience. We have a lot of "typical" diner/truck-stop breakfast places too and they are generally a lot greasier.

Should have clarified - those are two different thoughts. Cora definitely isn't a greasy diner place at all.

acottawa
Mar 31, 2022, 1:35 PM

I have never understood why that place is successful. You're basically paying hotel room service prices for breakfast, and at best the food is "fine."

le calmar
Mar 31, 2022, 1:39 PM
Not sure where the comments about IHOP being limited in the west come from?

I said that, but only because Google Maps is acting up. When I search IHOP over Western Canada, it shows me tons of locations in the US, a bunch on the Prairies but nothing in BC. The locations in BC only start popping up after you zoom in significantly. I admit my method was not super scientific haha. Should have used the store locator instead.

Acajack
Mar 31, 2022, 1:46 PM

I definitely agree. There is a Cora that I go to once in a while because it's owned by a friend of mine. His restaurant is fine but I probably wouldn't go there otherwise.

Nashe
Mar 31, 2022, 1:49 PM
It might depend on how you view breakfast. I always wake up ravenous and find breakfast the most gratifying meal of the day, overall.

So bring on Jo Construction, Louis the Undecided and Paul Wants it All then bury it in fruit! :D

Acajack
Mar 31, 2022, 1:54 PM
It might depend on how you view breakfast. I always wake up ravenous and find breakfast the most gratifying meal of the day, overall.

So bring on Jo Construction, Louis the Undecided and Paul Wants it All then bury it in fruit! :D

At least in Quebec, there are now way better options than Cora for that stuff.

Allô Mon Coco for example blows them out of the water IMO.

https://allomoncoco.com/fr/videos/

kwoldtimer
Mar 31, 2022, 2:02 PM

I went to Cora's a few times years ago but I was never impressed. I prefer independent places to chains in any event.

kwoldtimer
Mar 31, 2022, 2:03 PM

I haven't tried it, but I'm told their portions are enormous.

Nashe
Mar 31, 2022, 2:10 PM

A bit too far for me, I'm afraid. :D I'd have to get up at midnight to eat breakfast in Quebec City.

jamincan
Mar 31, 2022, 2:10 PM
I think Cora's makes a good breakfast, and it stands out by the massive quantities of fruit you get, which offsets some of the guilt over the rest of the breakfast. I'm not a fan of the fancy shapes they cut all the fruit into, because it just looks like someone has spent far too much time playing with food that's supposed to go in my mouth.

WhipperSnapper
Mar 31, 2022, 2:17 PM
Fruit is just healthy candy. I want food for breakfast.

Nashe
Mar 31, 2022, 2:18 PM
Fruit is just healthy candy. I want food for breakfast.
https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/006/759/both.jpg

MonctonRad
Mar 31, 2022, 2:24 PM
A bit too far for me, I'm afraid. :D I'd have to get up at midnight to eat breakfast in Quebec City.

Could be a franchise opportunity for you Vorkuta. There are a number of successful Quebec based franchises in the greater Moncton area. This one could be a hit too!

Put it in Dieppe, in the Champlain Plaza.. :)

MolsonExport
Mar 31, 2022, 3:07 PM
Given that you are being served food in an aluminum tube flying several vertical miles in the air travelling at hundreds of kilometres an hour to a whole different part of the globe - indeed, literally sitting inside modernity for a relative pittance of a modern salary - complaining about the food seems somewhat trite, no? Want a decent meal? Have it at the airport pre-flight.

Then again, we live in an age of unappreciated miracles. America wanted to watch scripted TV sitcoms more than colour TV from the moon during Apollo 17 in 1972.

Go to the Grand Canyon and watch the people make a beeline to the gift store/stare at their phones.

These things say things about people. It's not very complimentary.

glad you could find a way to make it personal. much appreciated.

I travel quite a bit. Why would someone get offended at my disdain for AC's tasty treats? Asian airlines, as well as many European airlines, offer better food (or at least, not always the same two options), even for economy-class travel (which alas, I must use always as a condition of my research grant funding).

MonkeyRonin
Mar 31, 2022, 4:09 PM
Popeyes is legitimately good, and not just from a fast food standpoint. Yes, there is better fried chicken out there at some independent places but I haven't had anything close at the price point. I've seen extremely incredulous people turned around on this too. There's a reason local in New Orleans still love Popeyes, despite the overwhelming amount of good food in that city.

Even Anthony Bourdain swore by Popeyes!

Personally it's my one fast-food guilty pleasure. Doesn't hurt that the one in my neighbourhood is open 'til 3 AM.

Proof Sheet
Mar 31, 2022, 4:40 PM

I travel quite a bit. Why would someone get offended at my disdain for AC's tasty treats? Asian airlines, as well as many European airlines, offer better food (or at least, not always the same two options), even for economy-class travel (which alas, I must use always as a condition of my research grant funding).

Are you sure that is the only benefit of Asian airlines :cheers::cheers::cheers:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b8/Flight_attendant_Singapore_Airlines.jpg

thewave46
Mar 31, 2022, 4:51 PM

Personal? I'll apologize, I didn't think I was aiming to offend.

It's airline food. Maybe Asian/European carriers are better. I'm still not expecting gourmet food in an aluminum tube with wings regardless, especially in economy. I'm paying for the seat across the world, not a culinary feast.

Complaining about the quality of airline food is trite, though. I stand by that.

acottawa
Mar 31, 2022, 5:07 PM
Personal? I'll apologize, I didn't think I was aiming to offend.

It's airline food. Maybe Asian/European carriers are better. I'm still not expecting gourmet food in an aluminum tube with wings regardless, especially in economy. I'm paying for the seat across the world, not a culinary feast.

Complaining about the quality of airline food is trite, though. I stand by that.

The food is a fairly noticeable part of the inflight experience. Why should passengers not judge it?

Wigs
Mar 31, 2022, 5:17 PM
Do we know what they put in the chicken?

My only experience with that chain comes from being stuck in airports where that is the only thing that looks remotely like "real food". I did not think it was all the good. Are they spiking it with something?

Can only assume it's a larger dose of crack than is put in the extra large doubles at Timmy's
or Timmy Ho's as my Western NY friends insist on calling it :haha:

thewave46
Mar 31, 2022, 5:18 PM
The food is a fairly noticeable part of the inflight experience. Why should passengers not judge it?

Oh they can judge it, certainly.

It's just akin to saying 'Tim Hortons sucks'. Well, yeah. Most people know this. It's why people add a ton of sugar/cream to make it drinkable. You want a 24oz. vat of coffee for $2? It costs something to get to that price point.

Airline food is similar. It is fine for stuff that's frozen, reheated in a on-board oven and can serve a couple of hundred standardized meals. Perhaps other airlines are that much better? People seemingly want restaurant-style gourmet food in economy, I suppose.

Wigs
Mar 31, 2022, 5:20 PM
Should have clarified - those are two different thoughts. Cora definitely isn't a greasy diner place at all.

People brought up IHOP, which is gross, so I brought up a better alternative that is found throughout Canada and also has the "it's also better because it's (originally )Quebecois" vibe :D

Wigs
Mar 31, 2022, 5:25 PM
I think Cora's makes a good breakfast, and it stands out by the massive quantities of fruit you get, which offsets some of the guilt over the rest of the breakfast. I'm not a fan of the fancy shapes they cut all the fruit into, because it just looks like someone has spent far too much time playing with food that's supposed to go in my mouth.

:haha: good point

Acajack, please send that relatively unknown Quebecois chain you mentioned to southern Ontario!

acottawa
Mar 31, 2022, 5:28 PM
Oh they can judge it, certainly.

It's just akin to saying 'Tim Hortons sucks'. Well, yeah. Most people know this. It's why people add a ton of sugar/cream to make it drinkable. You want a 24oz. vat of coffee for $2? It costs something to get to that price point.

Airline food is similar. It is fine for stuff that's frozen, reheated in a on-board oven and can serve a couple of hundred standardized meals. Perhaps other airlines are that much better? People seemingly want restaurant-style gourmet food in economy, I suppose.

Airline food doesn’t have to suck, even in economy. Airlines decide whether they want decent food or not (and they share catering with other airlines, so it really is a choice). It doesn’t have to taste like a Swanson “dinner.”

MolsonExport
Mar 31, 2022, 5:38 PM
Can only assume it's a larger dose of crack than is put in the extra large doubles at Timmy's
or Timmy Ho's as my Western NY friends insist on calling it :haha:

they are too kind. I call it Rim Whoreton's.

Sorry to offend lovers of Rimmy's.

McD's coffee is the same price as Rimmy's and tastes WAY better.

le calmar
Mar 31, 2022, 5:44 PM

Hell even their donuts are better! I tried one recently for the first time and I couldn’t believe it. Donuts are supposed to be Timmies’ signature offering but a burger chain managed to outdo them.

Wigs
Mar 31, 2022, 5:48 PM

Facts, Molson. :cheers:

I rarely buy chain coffee anymore. I befriended a Colombian guy "Wilson" (I forget his actual name as he loves to go by Wilson) who's wife Adriana imports coffee directly from her cousin's plantation in the highlands on the deep outskirts of Medellín (largest city nearby in the Antioquia region). It's fair trade and they roast their own beans and ship direct to St. Catharines so it's really fresh!

Their branding kinda sucks, but it's literally the best coffee I've had (medium roast). Because it's pricey I alternate between PC Colombian and this :D
https://deliciousalldaycoffee.com/products-and-services/500g-Semi-organic-Medium-Roasted-Grounded-p162817460

from time to time they have a 10% off sale so I stock up then.

I make no commission, I just like to promote what I think is the best coffee one can get in southern Ontario. They've been certified by some coffee association that lab tests coffee. Apparently only the top 20% of coffee in the world meets the stringent criteria.

All I know is that it's amazing coffee, and you'd literally be supporting a mom and pop/and cousin family business.

Acajack
Mar 31, 2022, 6:27 PM
:haha: good point

Acajack, please send that relatively unknown Quebecois chain you mentioned to southern Ontario!

They do have a couple of locations in Ottawa, but all the rest are in Quebec.

manny_santos
Mar 31, 2022, 7:08 PM

I rarely buy chain coffee anymore. I befriended a Colombian guy "Wilson" (I forget his actual name as he loves to go by Wilson) who's wife Adriana imports coffee directly from her cousin's plantation in the highlands on the deep outskirts of Medellín (largest city nearby in the Antioquia region). It's fair trade and they roast their own beans and ship direct to St. Catharines so it's really fresh!

Their branding kinda sucks, but it's literally the best coffee I've had (medium roast). Because it's pricey I alternate between PC Colombian and this :D
https://deliciousalldaycoffee.com/products-and-services/500g-Semi-organic-Medium-Roasted-Whole-Bean-p162398065

I make no commission, I just like to promote what I think is the best coffee one can get in southern Ontario. They've been certified by some coffee association that lab tests coffee. Apparently only the top 20% of coffee in the world meets the stringent criteria.

All I know is that it's amazing coffee, and you'd literally be supporting a mom and pop/and cousin family business.

Some of the best coffee I’ve ever had was local coffee in Mexico.

If you drive into the rural parts of some of the more southerly states there, you’ll see roadside stands selling fresh coffee beans, kind of like the roadside vegetable stands you see in parts of rural Canada.

Djeffery
Mar 31, 2022, 10:14 PM

Only went to Cora's once, several years ago, and wasn't impressed. As others have said, I much prefer a local restaurant breakfast. I even prefer Denny's, out at the Flying J truck stop, over Cora's. I really miss the Fifth Wheel truck stop restaurant. We used to go there after the bars closed.

WhipperSnapper
Apr 1, 2022, 12:57 PM

https://deliciousalldaycoffee.com/products-and-services/500g-Semi-organic-Medium-Roasted-Grounded-p162817460

Oh, yeah, I find the single sourced PC coffee (there are 4 of them) to be the best value for its quality and Furry Canuck isn't around to, colourfully, say otherwise

GreatTallNorth2
Apr 1, 2022, 1:12 PM
https://cdn.canada247.info/assets/uploads/ed0e5c0de08490a0e88e0a066978dab8_-alberta-division-no-11-morinville-mcdonaldshtml.jpg

I agree that McDonald's coffee is better than the brown water Timmy's sells, but someone needs to help McDonald's with their marketing. Having a sign that says "Ground Coffee" means what? That the beans are ground before they make the coffee? Wow, brilliant!

Airboy
Apr 1, 2022, 2:54 PM
Indigo Book stores are booting Starbucks and adding Calgary based Good Earth Cafes.

https://goodearthcoffeehouse.com/

As for the debate on Coras. I prefer it over Dennys. Prices have gone up slightly but its still a decent amount of food for the price. And my wife likes it so that is more important.

However there are some decent little dinners we do go to if we can. In Edmonton Hathaway's Dinner is our go to place.

And stopped in at a New KFC last night, ( I needed some comfort fatty food.) The new design is quite nice, Wood grained tiles but brick and Barn wood wall coverings. Definitely not the average KFC. Only been to Popeyes twice and found it OK.

casper
Apr 2, 2022, 5:21 AM
Indigo Book stores are booting Starbucks and adding Calgary based Good Earth Cafes.

https://goodearthcoffeehouse.com/

As for the debate on Coras. I prefer it over Dennys. Prices have gone up slightly but its still a decent amount of food for the price. And my wife likes it so that is more important.

However there are some decent little dinners we do go to if we can. In Edmonton Hathaway's Dinner is our go to place.

And stopped in at a New KFC last night, ( I needed some comfort fatty food.) The new design is quite nice, Wood grained tiles but brick and Barn wood wall coverings. Definitely not the average KFC. Only been to Popeyes twice and found it OK.

Given the choice I would usually go for Whitespot. Their chorizo and goat cheese omelet was fantastic. However with COVID they switched to that terrible all day menu with so few choices. I do hope we get back to it and omelets made with goat cheese.

Blitz
Apr 2, 2022, 9:22 PM
The KFCs have been slowly disappearing around here but that market share has been grabbed by Popeye's. A Chick-Fil-A recently opened in Windsor and I can see why people love it. It has a simple menu but it's really good and even though it's fast food the in-person restaurant atmosphere is much better than KFC or Popeye's.

MolsonExport
Apr 2, 2022, 9:34 PM
whatever happened to Furry Canuck?
or Rusty Van Whatever?

Wigs
Apr 2, 2022, 10:23 PM
whatever happened to Furry Canuck?
or Rusty Van Whatever?

He's been MIA for quite a while.

I believe he's still teaching at U of C though.

Loco101
Apr 3, 2022, 3:59 AM
Given the choice I would usually go for Whitespot. Their chorizo and goat cheese omelet was fantastic. However with COVID they switched to that terrible all day menu with so few choices. I do hope we get back to it and omelets made with goat cheese.

That's my favourite chain restaurant when in BC. I love their West Coast salmon burger. I actually tried it for the first time on the ferry to Nanaimo as they serve many of the restaurant's dishes onboard. White Spot is also pretty decent for breakfast.

Loco101
Apr 3, 2022, 4:25 AM

I've been to both chains and love them both. I really like the way they do the fruit in many dishes at Cora. But I'd say that Allô Mon Coco is better for their breakfast dishes overall and have fancier choices. I also prefer the interior of their restaurants over Cora.

I was really happy when Allô Mon Coco opened a few years ago in Rouyn-Noranda. I hope to be there sometime soon. In Timmins, we don't have any fancy breakfast places. The fanciest you can get here is Mikes which is okay and is a Quebec chain.

Acajack
Apr 3, 2022, 12:18 PM
I've been to both chains and love them both. I really like the way they do the fruit in many dishes at Cora. But I'd say that Allô Mon Coco is better for their breakfast dishes overall and have fancier choices. I also prefer the interior of their restaurants over Cora.

I was really happy when Allô Mon Coco opened a few years ago in Rouyn-Noranda. I hope to be there sometime soon. In Timmins, we don't have any fancy breakfast places. The fanciest you can get here is Mikes which is okay and is a Quebec chain.

Along these same lines, I noticed recently that there is a place called La Belle Province in the east end Ottawa suburb of Orleans. I did a double take as the Montreal-area chain doesn't even have a location in Gatineau, but looking more closely it doesn't appear to be part of the chain. The logo and visual identity are a bit different.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x4cce124a712a4e93%3A0x856e9b6b7c455b99!3m1!7e115!4s%2Fmaps%2Fplace%2F%2522la%2Bbelle%2Bprovince%2522%2Bottawa%2F%4045.4695604%2C-75.4910935%2C3a%2C75y%2C49.48h%2C90t%2Fdata%3D*213m4*211e1*213m2*211sCW8zV2i8f3CRTH14CuIfVA*212e0*214m2*213m1*211s0x4cce124a712a4e93%3A0x856e9b6b7c455b99%3Fsa%3DX!5s%22la%20belle%20province%22%20ottawa%20-%20Google%20Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e2!2sCW8zV2i8f3CRTH14CuIfVA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjzgoe47_f2AhVGLs0KHd7YAGAQpx96BAhhEAg

J.OT13
Apr 3, 2022, 1:06 PM
Ottawa's newest Canadian Tire, u/c at Carlingwood Mall, replacing Sears which had been there since the mall's opening in 1955.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51976031104_a3561d3920_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2nbWKej)20220401_115256 (https://flic.kr/p/2nbWKej) by harley613 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/92071236@N08/), on Flickr

WhipperSnapper
Apr 4, 2022, 1:09 AM
That doesn't look like a Canadian Tire (not saying it isn't)

megadude
Apr 4, 2022, 1:36 AM
Looks more like a SAIL Outdoors store. I like it.

https://s3-media0.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/B5dtPkuRuN86cdQ5snyJHg/l.jpg
https://www.yelp.ca/biz/sail-brossard

I'm used to this. Nice and sharp looking.
https://s22.q4cdn.com/405442328/files/images/about/About-Us-Supplier-Opp.jpg
https://corp.canadiantire.ca/English/about-us/default.aspx

Did not know they also look like this one in Edmonton.
https://cdn.betakit.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Screen-Shot-2015-06-11-at-3.20.51-pm-770x379.png
https://betakit.com/canadian-tire-opens-edmonton-showcase-store-with-vr-backyard-builder-and-car-simulator/

Glad they don't look like this anymore.
https://i.postimg.cc/3xmK4QS6/montreal-canada-november-9-2018-canadian-tire-logo-in-front-of-one-of-their-stores-in-montreal-quebe.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

This one at Eaton Centre was always interesting. First time I'd seen an escalator just for carts, which went to the basement level. Funny that a Ryerson facility is on top. A school on top of retail is usually for a career college.
https://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thestar/news/city_hall/2019/11/17/is-toronto-drab-council-is-pushing-for-a-more-beautiful-city/_1_bay_dundas_building_2.jpg
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2019/12/15/think-no-good-architecture-has-been-built-in-toronto-in-the-last-50-years-this-new-book-proves-otherwise.html

Have always liked their HQ. Ain't the prettiest building, but it stands out from boring office buildings.
https://s22.q4cdn.com/405442328/files/images/corporate-cta/Our-locations1.jpg
https://corp.canadiantire.ca/English/careers/corporate/default.aspx

And always liked this throwback gas station swoosh roof design at the location across from Clarkson GO Station in Mississauga.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/resizer/aYZe8t4zIQNzzVxBOHg7hK6QnOQ=/1200x799/filters:quality(80)/arc-anglerfish-tgam-prod-tgam.s3.amazonaws.com/public/36G47L4EUBBLXP6CZYYJU2EJ4M
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/home-and-garden/architecture/a-1960s-swoosh-of-modernism-preserved-at-a-canadian-tire-gas-bar/article5087214/

le calmar
Apr 4, 2022, 2:02 AM
The Canadian Tire the one above will replace is just 5 min away from the new location and it has an escalator just for carts too. It has a strange layout.

This Canadian Tire in Shawville (https://goo.gl/maps/uLpnFq1xcqfxH7gw6) is the oldest and smallest I’ve ever seen.

JonHiseler
Apr 4, 2022, 2:25 AM
The Canadian Tire the one above will replace is just 5 min away from the new location and it has an escalator just for carts too. It has a strange layout.

This Canadian Tire in Shawville (https://goo.gl/maps/uLpnFq1xcqfxH7gw6) is the oldest and smallest I’ve ever seen.

Tiny like the one in Nipigon, which is the smallest one in the country.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.0155492,-88.2724585,3a,75y,39.37h,99.06t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sg2SbYdtmy-as-F-OiBGRAg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3Dg2SbYdtmy-as-F-OiBGRAg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D37.46984%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

Loco101
Apr 4, 2022, 2:30 AM
There are still some tiny ones in Northern Ontario. The one in Nipigon even advertises itself as the smallest in Canada.

Downtown Wawa:

https://goo.gl/maps/RQaQ7Sp6WVn88z437

Nipigon:

https://goo.gl/maps/HmCvWZTGGzfxJATm6

le calmar
Apr 4, 2022, 12:22 PM
That one in Wawa is not only small, but it is also urban. Reminds me of the old Giant Tigers. Sadly, the big chains tend to just close those down once they’ve reached their expiration date. I’ve yet to see one of those old urban legacy locations that has been renovated. It’s more simple to shut it down and move to a new shiny box outside town. And I’m not even sure they would bother opening a new location in places like Wawa and Shawville.

casper
Apr 4, 2022, 12:36 PM
That one in Wawa is not only small, but it is also urban. Reminds me of the old Giant Tigers. Sadly, the big chains tend to just close those down once they’ve reached their expiration date. I’ve yet to see one of those old urban legacy locations that has been renovated. It’s more simple to shut it down and move to a new shiny box outside town. And I’m not even sure they would bother opening a new location in places like Wawa and Shawville.

Canadian Tire tends to be franchise stores. So there is likely some negotation between the franchise owner and corporate. Giant Tigers are also franchise stores.

thewave46
Apr 4, 2022, 12:37 PM

It amuses me to think of anything in Wawa as urban, but yes, you're right.

It's more akin to a Home Hardware than Canadian Tire. Given Wawa's precipitous decline, the future is basically one of milking the last of the value from the location. Ironically, the Home Hardware - usually located in the heart of these little towns - is on the fringes of the town.

MolsonExport
Apr 4, 2022, 12:49 PM
I remember Harls once saying how much he loved the CT logo (jk)

WhipperSnapper
Apr 4, 2022, 1:15 PM
Canadian Flag at the top is super hot

megadude
Apr 4, 2022, 3:07 PM
Yeah, it's a kind of sad when one of those places closes down and then residents in the area will have a hard time to get some items they need, like immediately today. Something we take for granted. You hope something can fill the void for some items.

Those tiny hardware stores you see in Manhattan in shows or movies I've only experienced once. When I visited my cousin on the Upper West Side and stayed for 12 days. She was next door to one of those shops and I got a key cut. Was narrow, a little dark and a little grungy. Not a pleasant shopping experience, but it had many of the essentials. Those small CTs look a lot more inviting.

I have to admit, I like stepping foot in any modern CT or HD. 99.99% of the stuff I don't need but it all looks so cool and is presented well. I could easily browse around aimlessly for 15 minutes. A place like HH or Rona will keep you focused because they are smaller and to the point.

WhipperSnapper
Apr 4, 2022, 3:21 PM
There's fewer and fewer of those hardware stores in the older parts of Toronto too. Owners are dying off with no one to takeover. I'm not huge on squeezing through a hardware hoard. On the plus side, the owners are very knowledgeable; they have parts for everything unlike chain stores which only sell popular items; they seem to know where everything is in their mess.

Amazon now carries parts for just about anything.

thewave46
Apr 4, 2022, 3:54 PM
There's fewer and fewer of those hardware stores in the older parts of Toronto too. Owners are dying off with no one to takeover. I'm not huge on squeezing through a hardware hoard. On the plus side, the owners are very knowledgeable; they have parts for everything unlike chain stores which only sell popular items; they seem to know where everything is in their mess.

I think the loss of the personal touch will be the biggest tragedy.

Am otherwise indifferent CT/HD employee just can't offer the same knowledge as the old guy working in a local hardware store has.

It'll disappear like the non-upscale coffee & donut places. Maybe we can salvage it by getting some sort of ironic version like they do with dive bars today.

megadude
Apr 4, 2022, 5:42 PM
Agree with the knowledge part. For certain products, I am willing to pay extra from a small store if the guy can offer real knowledge and insight. There's still some independent fishing stores around in Scarboro, Etobicoke, Sauga and Hamilton that I've been to over the past decade +.

Some of the employees who work in the tackle or boat section of Bass Pro, Cabelas and Sail do partake in the hobby but some don't. When you walk into an indy shop, you know right away which employees, if not all, are into the sport and know their stuff. If it's not too busy, they're always willing to talk shop.

I one time walked into one of those shops with my cousin (a tournament angler who really likes these shops) in Hamilton and I had on some scrub WVU shirt. Then I heard a guy in a Southern accent say, "Hey, where'd you get that shirt from?". I told him I went to a game in 2012. He said he's from West Virginia. He met his Hamilton resident wife in Hawaii. Married her, moved here and started a family. I told him how to stream college games online and he was showing me the best colours for senko soft plastic baits. Then my cousin started talking to him about $250 bait casting reels, which I had no interest in because I ain't dropping more than 50 bones on a reel.

Acajack
Apr 4, 2022, 5:59 PM

It's not really grungy but there is one of those small, old-style neighbourhood hardware stores just around the corner from where one of my kids moved to in Montreal last year.

They lend out dollies to people who buy heavy stuff (many local residents are students without cars) so they're a regular sight on neighbouring streets.

theman23
Apr 4, 2022, 6:08 PM
That's my favourite chain restaurant when in BC. I love their West Coast salmon burger. I actually tried it for the first time on the ferry to Nanaimo as they serve many of the restaurant's dishes onboard. White Spot is also pretty decent for breakfast.

Maybe because its the only restaurant chain you know in BC, because White Spot food is pretty mediocre and the overall dining experience pretty bad when you factor in the price, crappy service, and poor upkeep of most of the restaurants.

WhipperSnapper
Apr 4, 2022, 6:24 PM
It's not really grungy but there is one of those small, old-style neighbourhood hardware stores just around the corner from where one of my kids moved to in Montreal last year.

They lend out dollies to people who buy heavy stuff (many local residents are students without cars) so they're a regular sight on neighbouring streets.

Smart/necessary service to provide.

I bought most of my tools at Atlas Tools on Queen West. Finding free/cheap parking was a chore and the store's square footage was too small for all the displays they now have at their new Etobicoke location.

WarrenC12
Apr 4, 2022, 6:33 PM
Maybe because its the only restaurant chain you know in BC, because White Spot food is pretty mediocre and the overall dining experience pretty bad when you factor in the price, crappy service, and poor upkeep of most of the restaurants.

Wow, I disagree. Decent value for a family going out to a sit down restaurant. Predictable quality, menu is varied enough.

It's not usually my first choice, but it's a reliable one. :shrug:

casper
Apr 5, 2022, 7:12 AM
Wow, I disagree. Decent value for a family going out to a sit down restaurant. Predictable quality, menu is varied enough.

I would agree. WhiteSpot is predictable. The food is good, but not spectacular. It is also everywhere.

For me the pre-Covid breakfast has to be the chorizo and goat cheese omelet. I am disappointed it has not returned yet. During COVID they switch to a simpler menu. I have had to compromise and go with the Denver omelet.

Dinner/lunch is either burger or the fish and chips. I could be persuaded to do the beef team.

They also have the mini-WhiteSpots called Triple-O's that are usually co-located with Chevron stations. Those are just really good burgers.

Airboy
Apr 5, 2022, 2:18 PM
I would agree. WhiteSpot is predictable. The food is good, but not spectacular. It is also everywhere.

For me the pre-Covid breakfast has to be the chorizo and goat cheese omelet. I am disappointed it has not returned yet. During COVID they switch to a simpler menu. I have had to compromise and go with the Denver omelet.

Dinner/lunch is either burger or the fish and chips. I could be persuaded to do the beef team.

They also have the mini-WhiteSpots called Triple-O's that are usually co-located with Chevron stations. Those are just really good burgers.

We are seeing Triple Os showing up here now as Chevron returns to Alberta.

There is a small but growing group here trying to get A&W to bring back the Whistle Dog. I'm one of them now.

JustForTheHalibut
Apr 5, 2022, 5:21 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned OEB Breakfast Co.

It's an American restaurant chain, I think, that has locations in Kelowna and several in lower mainland. Best breakfast from a chain restaurant.

https://eatoeb.com/

harls
Apr 5, 2022, 5:22 PM
Ottawa's newest Canadian Tire, u/c at Carlingwood Mall, replacing Sears which had been there since the mall's opening in 1955.

I don't get why they are building another one here. Didn't they just build a multi level one a few years ago at Carling/Queensway? Or is that one going to be bulldozed?

Fucking Canadian Tire. Useless, clueless teen employees. Stupid fake money that makes you look like you have 'fat stacks' but in reality it's about $4.55 in real money.

I remember Harls once saying how much he loved the CT logo (jk)

And that stupid female private parts logo.

JHikka
Apr 5, 2022, 6:02 PM
Fucking Canadian Tire. Useless, clueless teen employees.

Why hate the young, min wage employees?

Acajack
Apr 5, 2022, 6:08 PM
Why hate the young, min wage employees?

Yeah, they aren't any worse than teenaged employees in any other business.

The main problem at CT is that there aren't enough of them and so there is never one around when you need them.

theman23
Apr 5, 2022, 6:09 PM

Triple Os is fine and generally a better experience than White Spot, mostly because the price is lower and expectations are too. The Monty Mushroom burger is pretty good.

To each their own. If I'm spending $20 for a burger/fries (drink and tip extra!), it won't be at WhiteSpot.

lio45
Apr 5, 2022, 6:30 PM

This Canadian Tire in Shawville (https://goo.gl/maps/uLpnFq1xcqfxH7gw6) is the oldest and smallest I’ve ever seen.Did you get to know the one in Coaticook, or it was closed already when you worked there?

WarrenC12
Apr 5, 2022, 6:34 PM

It's an American restaurant chain, I think, that has locations in Kelowna and several in lower mainland. Best breakfast from a chain restaurant.

OEB is really nice, I've been to the Yaletown location a few times. Spendy though. :cool:

le calmar
Apr 5, 2022, 6:51 PM
Did you get to know the one in Coaticook, or it was closed already when you worked there?

I’ve never been to that one. From I see, that location was not franchised and the chain just decided to shut it down on a two week notice.

JustForTheHalibut
Apr 6, 2022, 8:18 PM
OEB is really nice, I've been to the Yaletown location a few times. Spendy though. :cool:

I've never been disappointed with OEB.

The Yaletown OEB must be fairly new, didn't even know they had one.
I use to go to Elbow Room on Davie Street in Yaletown.
Breakfast was good for the price and the banter with the owners was always a hoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOK_LDF6G-g

MolsonExport
Apr 6, 2022, 8:40 PM
White Spot burgers are pretty good. I enjoyed them during my BC days. I noticed that BC was completely bereft of Harvey's. Every year, there seems to be fewer and fewer Harvey's locations.

Airboy
Apr 6, 2022, 8:48 PM
Did you get to know the one in Coaticook, or it was closed already when you worked there?

The new super CT stores have that second floor and cart escalators. But try to put your wife and her wheel chair on it and they get pissed.

As for the White spot burgers its been years since we do not have a lot of them in Alberta. And Harveys is disappearing here as well. Lots of Fat Burger, Five Guys and Smash Burger places though. Last Burger for me was A&W teen. and in small town Alberta Burger Baron.

WarrenC12
Apr 6, 2022, 9:32 PM
I've never been disappointed with OEB.

The Yaletown OEB must be fairly new, didn't even know they had one.
I use to go to Elbow Room on Davie Street in Yaletown.
Breakfast was good for the price and the banter with the owners was always a hoot.

Yaletown was the first one in BC I believe. It's on Marinaside and Davie.

Elbow Room was fun for sure.

WarrenC12
Apr 6, 2022, 9:33 PM
White Spot burgers are pretty good. I enjoyed them during my BC days. I noticed that BC was completely bereft of Harvey's. Every year, there seems to be fewer and fewer Harvey's locations.

There used to be one inside Home Depot(?). Weird.

Five Guys is my go-to for a burger these days. Fat Burger is good too.

MolsonExport
Apr 6, 2022, 9:36 PM
Five guys costs like 75 bucks for a family of four. For burgers and fries. Too pricey, even if tasty.

then again, even McShitties is something like $50+ dollars.

Proof Sheet
Apr 6, 2022, 10:02 PM
Five guys costs like 75 bucks for a family of four. For burgers and fries. Too pricey, even if tasty.

I find Five Guys is the kind of place that everyone should get a burger and then share the fries between 3 or 4. One order of their fries per person is way too much.

I find there is a big gap between the look of the burger in their photos and the actual burger that they serve is quite noticeable.

I haven't been in a few years. Is the music still deafening?

WarrenC12
Apr 6, 2022, 10:03 PM
I find Five Guys is the kind of place that everyone should get a burger and then share the fries between 3 or 4. One order of their fries per person is way too much.

I find there is a big gap between the look of the burger in their photos and the actual burger that they serve is quite noticeable.

I haven't been in a few years. Is the music still deafening?

Yep. We get the smaller burger (1 patty) and share fries.

It's a great burger for a decent price IMO. Everything is inflating. :cheers:

Wigs
Apr 7, 2022, 12:01 AM
I don't get why they are building another one here. Didn't they just build a multi level one a few years ago at Carling/Queensway? Or is that one going to be bulldozed?

Fucking Canadian Tire. Useless, clueless teen employees. Stupid fake money that makes you look like you have 'fat stacks' but in reality it's about $4.55 in real money.

This is the classic SSP Canada content I'm here for :haha:
I once bought a basketball in Canadian Tire money. Like $25 but it looked like a thousand lol

Djeffery
Apr 7, 2022, 12:12 AM

I went to Wendy's last Friday night for the 3 of us. Son got a baconator combo, I had a Daves double combo and my wife had one of their salads. Still came to just shy of $50. I regretted not ordering pizza, because even at $40 for 3 of us delivered, I still have a snack for later lol.

Wigs
Apr 7, 2022, 12:21 AM
I went to Wendy's last Friday night for the 3 of us. Son got a baconator combo, I had a Daves double combo and my wife had one of their salads. Still came to just shy of $50. I regretted not ordering pizza, because even at $40 for 3 of us delivered, I still have a snack for later lol.

I used to love a Baconator when they first came out lol

best value for money as a family is probably either pizza or chinese takeout

casper
Apr 7, 2022, 2:10 AM

They do tires well. Mostly since the person at auto desk knows his stuff.

My last time buying a non-auto part was two years ago. My electric law mower died. Looked up the one I wanted. It was on-sale. Good combination between metal shell and fair price. Website said they have a dozen in stock.

Went in to the lawnmower area. Had to press the call-for-help button. The teen-age associate came and said, "here are the lawn-mowers in this row, however I am not allowed to answer any technical questions; I am only allowed to help you take it out to the car if you buy one". That was weird.

I handed him the print out from the website, saying I want this one. He looked around the department, then said we don't have any. I pointed out the printout said it was in stock and even said they have a dozen. He said "Oh!", then looked it up on his phone, wandered around the department a but more looking for it. Just as I was about to leave he said, "Please wait, I think I know where it might be, downstairs in the auto department, wait here." He came back a few minutes later with a cart with my lawnmower. He was so happy I allowed him to take for me to the self checkout and then bring it my car. He made a sale.

The moral of the story, don't expect much and you will not be disappointed.

casper
Apr 7, 2022, 2:17 AM
There used to be one inside Home Depot(?). Weird.

Five Guys is my go-to for a burger these days. Fat Burger is good too.

For years the only Harvy's in Saskatoon was inside a Home Depot. Years later I think one opened up on the university campus. They are rare site in the west.

There is something that just does not fell right about their burgers. I just cant pin it down.

Triple O does have their Tuesday special when they know a back or two off all their burgers. Even at full price they make good burgers, and identical to the whitespot burgers. Looks like they have three in Ontario. Everything else is Alberta and BC. I will also go with an A&W burger.

Loco101
Apr 7, 2022, 2:32 AM

That wasn't what I experienced in Nanaimo, Victoria, Kamloops and Abbotsford but they were all locations near or attached to hotels I stayed in. I will say that I went to a White Spot in Edmonton last Summer and it wasn't very good at all.

I have been to some BC (and western) chains that were good but I usually try independent places. Cactus Club was pretty good. I was okay with Joey. Mr Mikes was nothing special. One chain I've never been to is Ricky's All Day Grill and don't plan on eating there.

Loco101
Apr 7, 2022, 2:47 AM

For fast food I now only order on the chain's app and use coupons. The regular prices for combos at most places are quite outrageous these days.

SpongeG
Apr 7, 2022, 7:26 AM
the new Canadian Tire commercials are touting it as Canada's Kitchen Store. I find the stores far too crowded, aisles cluttered with stacks of dollar store looking products, they sell sheets? towels? Anything that is As Seen On TV. overall its the last place I go to look for something. Plus their stuff seems to go on sale every other week, why not just offer lower prices year-round than 70% off a frying pan every other week

SpongeG
Apr 7, 2022, 7:29 AM
For years the only Harvy's in Saskatoon was inside a Home Depot. Years later I think one opened up on the university campus. They are rare site in the west.

There is something that just does not fell right about their burgers. I just cant pin it down.

Triple O does have their Tuesday special when they know a back or two off all their burgers. Even at full price they make good burgers, and identical to the whitespot burgers. Looks like they have three in Ontario. Everything else is Alberta and BC. I will also go with an A&W burger.

I really like A&W lately. Harveys has a lot of locations in Alberta, Grande Prairie has two and they always were steady when I went. I don't know what the appeal is, the burgers are like the ones you get in a stack or a box at the grocery store, but they are just so good. And choosing the toppings is kind of a fun thing.

-------

As for prices I work in the industry and prices keep going up cause costs keep going up, plus so much stuff we order is very hard to get these days, Sysco is either having to sub things or they just don't have it for weeks at a time. I know last year a lot of suppliers were shut down to due all the workers being sick with covid. As an example for about 4 months we couldn't get the hashbrowns that we use and had to come up with an alternate plan, ie we had to make them which ends up costing more in labour.

jamincan
Apr 7, 2022, 11:35 AM
I really like A&W lately. Harveys has a lot of locations in Alberta, Grande Prairie has two and they always were steady when I went. I don't know what the appeal is, the burgers are like the ones you get in a stack or a box at the grocery store, but they are just so good. And choosing the toppings is kind of a fun thing.

I hate Harvey's, because it was always a battle communicating the way I want them (in short: strongly-flavoured toppings on one side, delicately-flavoured on the other). Somehow I'm happier not having the choice at all at A&W or Wendy's or wherever else.

niwell
Apr 7, 2022, 1:41 PM
I had to go to the Canadian Tire near me recently because that's where the closest Service Ontario was located. As I had to change a few things had my backpack with documents and laptop on me. Even though I was only going to the Service Ontario desk I was forced to check my backpack at the front of the store - had to take everything out because there's not way I'm leaving a laptop at the front of the store. To say I was livid would be an understatement. Apparently it's chainwide policy and despite receiving a huge number of complaints (I called to complain afterwards) refuse to budge on the issue. Seems to be a common complaint in reviews for that specific location - given where it is in Toronto I imagine it gets a lot of foot/transit traffic.

As an aside, an in-law of mine is a CT owner and has been for a long time. In addition to multiple Canadian properties they own houses in Arizona and Hawaii. At the Xmas get-together we couldn't make it to (COVID) he got in an argument with the rest of the family about sick days and how they promote laziness. Also complains that he's trained employees that leave for better opportunities. So not a whole lot of love or sympathy for that company.

MolsonExport
Apr 7, 2022, 1:59 PM

Wendy's is weird. The name is "Wendy's" but inside, everything is "Dave's"

I used to like Wendy's but their burgers are always stone cold.

MolsonExport
Apr 7, 2022, 2:02 PM
Canadian Tire clerks are generally as dumb as a bag of hammers. Or rude. Or both.

https://i.imgflip.com/6bqqt7.jpg

J.OT13
Apr 7, 2022, 2:06 PM
Wendy's is weird. The name is "Wendy's" but inside, everything is "Dave's"

I used to like Wendy's but their burgers are always stone cold.

Which is weird because they are the only ones (more or less) who use the aluminum/paper wrapping. Reason why I try to not go: it's not compostable.

Airboy
Apr 7, 2022, 2:23 PM

Have a few of them here as well.

Acajack
Apr 7, 2022, 3:09 PM
Canadian Tire clerks are generally as dumb as a bag of hammers. Or rude. Or both.

https://i.imgflip.com/6bqqt7.jpg

Which is dumb in and of itself because if there is one good thing about Canadian Tire, it's that they have almost everything.

People I know originally from other countries sometimes rave about Canadian Tire for this fact alone.

Their in-store service often sucks but their "buyers" division is top-notch for scouting out pretty much any imaginable product one might need.