PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Retail Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81

osirisboy
May 27, 2017, 8:30 AM
I am aware of Air Jordan and such. But thinking that people are living under a rock just because they aren't is a bit much.

There are lots more significant things that many people aren't aware of that would better qualify as living under a rock.

I'm not saying jordans is a significant thing. However it's something that has been a pretty ubiquitous brand in our culture for 30 years, whether or not you have use for it or if it's the most insignificant thing ever.

So assuming someone has lived here and have no idea what Jordans is (complete with a picture of the massive logo) then yes you are living under a rock. Or one of those old people I sometimes see around

MonctonRad
May 27, 2017, 12:14 PM
I collect maps. Have since I was a kid. Does this impress you guys?

I collect maps too, although not actively now.

There's a certain commonality to a lot of SSP posters I find - a history of playing SimCity, an enjoyment of trivia and statistics etc.

kwoldtimer
May 27, 2017, 1:37 PM
Lining up to give your money to a store that just opened when the same products will there in a few days when there is no iineup is not something that impresses me.

As someone who prefers to avoid crowds when possible, I've always been puzzled by line-ups for things not involving scarcity. It seems like a vivid reminder of the power of consumerism. Unless they were offering shoes at marked down prices or something like that. :shrug:

WhipperSnapper
May 27, 2017, 6:27 PM
Who's mocking? But it's not really worthy of admiration either.

I collect maps. Have since I was a kid. Does this impress you guys?

not you. (if that's who you thinking I was referencing)

WhipperSnapper
May 27, 2017, 6:34 PM
As someone who prefers to avoid crowds when possible, I've always been puzzled by line-ups for things not involving scarcity. It seems like a vivid reminder of the power of consumerism. Unless they were offering shoes at marked down prices or something like that. :shrug:

Most people lining up are lining up because it's the thing to do. It doesn't matter to them standing or sitting while on social media 12 hours a day. Some will be avid collectors. There are limited runs that sell quick with these shoes. They may have rare ones on display too exclusive to the opening.

Acajack
May 28, 2017, 2:14 AM
The last time I wore anything with an ostentatious brand name was probably a Roots sweat-shirt in the late 80s.

I did not do it very consciously but when I stopped wearing brand names on my body it coincided with travelling internationally. Wearing a name like Roots identifies you as a Canadian or a foreigner and many others will get you mistaken for an American.

isaidso
May 28, 2017, 5:25 AM
This specialty Nike brand has been around since the 80s. How could you have avoided it so long?

It took a great deal of effort. As a youngster I was a sponge absorbing anything and everything. After university my filter grew much thicker. I'm still fascinated by many things in the world but bored to tears by a lot too. I've cut out what doesn't interest me. I'm oblivious to 99% of the tv that's been made in the last 20 years. I've always done my own thing; even if it wasn't conventional, popular, accepted.

Now that someone has mentioned sneakers I vaguely remember something called a Jordan but wouldn't have made the connection unless someone made it for me. I do like some brands but they tend to be less mainsteam like Reigning Champ, Moncler, or Diesel. Even there, I won't buy anything with a visible label on it. Tacky. That said, I'd also wear something that cost $5 if I liked it.

Mass market brands like Nike? My only interest in it would be from a corporate pov. Their products don't interest me one iota.

osirisboy
May 28, 2017, 5:38 AM
Seems weird. Do you like things becuase you like them or because they aren't mass market brands? If Jordan's weren't "mainstream" would you like it then? Lmao. It's like those ppl who love independent shops but if those businesses become successful and expand they stop supporting them because they are now chains and mainstream. It's painful.

OutOfTowner
May 28, 2017, 8:24 AM
Seems weird. Do you like things becuase you like them or because they aren't mass market brands? If Jordan's weren't "mainstream" would you like it then? Lmao. It's like those ppl who love independent shops but if those businesses become successful and expand they stop supporting them because they are now chains and mainstream. It's painful.

It's the old "I love this indie band that nobody has ever heard of and you've got to hear them!"

Flash forward 5 years and everybody loves them and now.. do you hate them because they're popular or did you love them for the right reason - because they're great - or was it simply because they were unknown and you wanted to pass yourself off as some sort of cutting edge, tastemaker (god I hate that word/concept), douchebag?

I generally shy away from anything with visible labels - they should pay me for advertising their brand, not the other way around. That said, I like Columbia products, I've never had a bad experience, and they're not shy about 'putting their name out there'. It does bother me a bit but I like their stuff (slave made in Asia - that's another issue but I would either have to become a nudist or make 20 times what I do in order to avoid that ethical dilemma).

I buy my tees at Mark's (l'Équiper) because they're plain and good quality. I bought a Kanuk winter coat because they're the best, made down the street from me, and not Canada Douche (goose) with their goofy patch and people wearing them well after they should should have been put away simply because they have to be 'seen' as long as possible. Classic case of "Look how much I paid!"

Lining up for something today that you can easily get tomorrow, brand mania- is a sickness. Things have such little, lasting value any more that people will do anything to squeeze that 'extra day of cool' out of them. The built-in rendundancy ensures that no one will care about their 'cool' shoe, phone, pants, etc. a month from now and the relentless marketing machines will ensure that there's always something lineup worthy for the dimwits in society get back in line for.

Acajack
May 28, 2017, 11:44 AM

It's one thing to shun businesses you once liked simply because they've gotten bigger and become chains, but in many cases when a place goes "big" it entails major changes to the product and service offerings. Often not for the better.

In such cases it's totally legitimate for older clients to pine for the good old days and look elsewhere.

Preserving that "small is beautiful" magic is actually one of the biggest challenges of a growing business, is it not?

kwoldtimer
May 28, 2017, 2:35 PM
Independent or chain, I've long chafed at the idea that my clothing choices could turn me into an unpaid walking advertisement for some "lifestyle" brand, although I'm not a purist about it. In the case of athletic footwear, it would be hard to avoid brand logos, although my only considerations in addition to colour would be whether a wide fit is available and whether it offers good arch support (something that many of you flip-flop and flat sneaker wearing youngsters will learn about in years to come...)! ;)

hipster duck
May 28, 2017, 3:41 PM
Now that someone has mentioned sneakers I vaguely remember something called a Jordan but wouldn't have made the connection unless someone made it for me. I do like some brands but they tend to be less mainsteam like Reigning Champ, Moncler, or Diesel. Even there, I won't buy anything with a visible label on it. Tacky. That said, I'd also wear something that cost $5 if I liked it.

How would you know about labels like Reigning Champ and Moncler and not have heard of Jordans?

That's like knowing about Beau's Kissmeyer Nordic Pale Ale and Driftwood Fat Tug IPA but having never heard of Budweiser. Or, on a skyscraper page, knowing about Malmo's Turning Torso and Telus Sky but not the Empire State Building.

Something doesn't fit.

north 42
May 28, 2017, 4:39 PM
It took a great deal of effort. As a youngster I was a sponge absorbing anything and everything. After university my filter grew much thicker. I'm still fascinated by many things in the world but bored to tears by a lot too. I've cut out what doesn't interest me. I'm oblivious to 99% of the tv that's been made in the last 20 years. I've always done my own thing; even if it wasn't conventional, popular, accepted.

Mass market brands like Nike? My only interest in it would be from a corporate pov. Their products don't interest me one iota.

Diesel is a great company, 80% of my wardrobe is Diesel, mainly because the quality is so good.

osirisboy
May 29, 2017, 6:05 PM
^^yeah diesel is not too bad. But it's kind of funny for someone to look down on people liking Jordan when they shop at places like Montcler where they sell 300 dollar plus t-shirts lmao

OutOfTowner
May 30, 2017, 5:39 AM
How would you know about labels like Reigning Champ and Moncler and not have heard of Jordans?

That's like knowing about Beau's Kissmeyer Nordic Pale Ale and Driftwood Fat Tug IPA but having never heard of Budweiser. Or, on a skyscraper page, knowing about Malmo's Turning Torso and Telus Sky but not the Empire State Building.

Something doesn't fit.

Could be the pretentious c*nt factor: "Too common", "Not expensive enough", "Would not want to be seen in public without a 'proper' bag" etc.

Must keep up appearances!

I truly think that there are people who sorely regret that they can't just leave the price tags on everything they own.

OutOfTowner
May 30, 2017, 5:50 AM
^^yeah diesel is not too bad. But it's kind of funny for someone to look down on people liking Jordan when they shop at places like Montcler where they sell 300 dollar plus t-shirts lmao

They're the type who are simply DYING to tell you that they're wearing a Montcler. They'll work it into the conversation somewhere!

I'd really like to find out why a Montcler is worth 20 times as much as one of my Mark's tees.

Must be one fucking hell of a tee! (maybe it makes you tea?)

caltrane74
May 31, 2017, 11:17 PM
Hard rock totally shut down now. Interior being gutted.

LED installation continues..

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-eJuRr0g-L5w/WS9OiKv8zOI/AAAAAAAAYCM/aGpCHT8i_sgXluE0iXBmQECJKCPataIwwCHM/s1600/IMG_20170531_191441.jpg

WhipperSnapper
May 31, 2017, 11:48 PM
They're the type who are simply DYING to tell you that they're wearing a Montcler. They'll work it into the conversation somewhere!

I'd really like to find out why a Montcler is worth 20 times as much as one of my Mark's tees.

Must be one fucking hell of a tee! (maybe it makes you tea?)

Has a much more modern tailoring than Marks. The fabric is a little nicer. You can still hire a tailor to produce a bespoke t-shirt of outstanding cotton fabric for a fraction of an off the shelf Montcler.

Gerrard
Jun 1, 2017, 1:38 AM
Can I just say it's "MONCLER".

jeez

I get the label thing though. A lot of people are plastered with high end (luxury) crap for its own sake with little thought to personal "style". Which is only slightly better than someone saying "I dress for comfort" as some weird badge of honor.

WhipperSnapper
Jun 1, 2017, 5:52 PM
At the same time, polo shirts with the super sized crest overflowed the discount bins at Zellers once the season ended. It's just some people past the age of 25. No need to feel all high and mighty because you aren't one to plaster yourself with logos. You are far from being original.

kwoldtimer
Jun 1, 2017, 5:57 PM
At the same time, polo shirts with the super sized crest overflowed the discount bins at Zellers once the season ended. It's just some people past the age of 25. No need to feel all high and mighty because you aren't one to plaster yourself with logos. You are far from being original.

Can one be original while tagged with a mass-produced consumer logo? Sounds like a triumph of marketing to me.

WhipperSnapper
Jun 1, 2017, 6:07 PM
Can one be original while tagged with a mass-produced consumer logo? Sounds like a triumph of marketing to me.

There's 6 billion plus people. No one is being that original. Those that seek out corporate marking to wear or refuse to wear have more in common than those that just wear what they like and/or looks good.

caltrane74
Jun 2, 2017, 2:41 AM
More from Dundas Square.

Hard Rock gutting continues. - Line up of big rigs with billboards on Yonge.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ERyQjaSdaW0/WTDODKy1VqI/AAAAAAAAYC8/q8KbNVayIcIsiIRxz6AVuw0LklOitEuqQCHM/s1600/IMG_20170601_210149.jpghttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3QEEt5HbRts/WTDPRRdvCjI/AAAAAAAAYDE/w4SKtXSUXjEWeFRic9Nm5PFWfQrIr_uXwCHM/s1600/IMG_20170601_223549.jpg

caltrane74
Jun 3, 2017, 3:46 PM
The Hard Rock Sign on the north side is gone.

More LED billboards installed.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-o2NDkELNeN4/WTLZPnR5_rI/AAAAAAAAYDc/ROZ0RKWhCyQYYahPE-7pBMYXKy0vQjl6ACHM/s1600/IMG_20170603_114303.jpg

yaletown_fella
Jun 3, 2017, 6:28 PM
Im suprised the site wasnt sold and/or redeveloped into a mixed use/condo building or some sort of a student housing rental complex.
Such prime real estate for a dinky 3 storey building.

WhipperSnapper
Jun 3, 2017, 8:34 PM
Shakes head. Makes no sense to build a residential tower directly facing the super bright, animated billboards of Dundas Square. It's a great old building. It doesn't need to be replaced or podium-ized. The owner is also going to make a fortune without spending a 500 million plus dimes or lifting a finger on leasing the rooftop to the 3rd party advertiser.

caltrane74
Jun 4, 2017, 3:11 AM
#getoutchallange #pksubban #gopreds

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-IosGK7uFmMo/WTN5dyQcD4I/AAAAAAAAYDo/4sAGFQu2uMosu_puUK5ojzfgyQettqPuACHM/s1600/IMG_20170603_223936.jpg

The board is only halfway assembled and they were testing it today.

Shoppers Drug Mart Conversion.

TownGuy
Jun 4, 2017, 10:13 AM
They're really motoring with this thing. You can tell it's going to be the best screen in the square by a mile, love how it wraps around the corner.

urbandreamer
Jun 4, 2017, 11:44 AM
You're making me hungry thinking of Blaze Pizza. I could see a tower rise here someday--doesn't have to be all glass and black out blinds are very effective--I use them to block all the glazing.

caltrane74
Jun 4, 2017, 1:38 PM
Another picture from last night - too lazy to post.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-I5txKcUBEfM/WTQMop1iW9I/AAAAAAAAYD0/nH3BJWfeFvsazTPnme6dH-xPNiDGifdDwCHM/s1600/IMG_20170604_093418.jpg

WhipperSnapper
Jun 4, 2017, 6:33 PM
Makes you wonder what's in store for 10 Dundas.

caltrane74
Jun 4, 2017, 7:59 PM
If they want to they can make the most awesome LED Experience, they have the most square footage on the Dundas facing side of the mall. (Atrium has some space, as well as the Eaton Center)

Almost all covered in boring static ads, right now.

Looking forward to the Samsung Store at the Eaton Center. That store along with the Shoppers Drug Mart will light up the square.

caltrane74
Jun 4, 2017, 10:05 PM
These guys are not even joking around with this thing.

More pieces installed, more testing.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-b6NQKIv2m_Q/WTSDiMOHlfI/AAAAAAAAYEI/G-VpNYhp8LoDJwmmCgJ2bBrtgu5vzAScQCHM/s1600/IMG_20170604_180203.jpg

WhipperSnapper
Jun 4, 2017, 10:40 PM
If they want to they can make the most awesome LED Experience, they have the most square footage on the Dundas facing side of the mall. (Atrium has some space, as well as the Eaton Center)

Almost all covered in boring static ads, right now.

Looking forward to the Samsung Store at the Eaton Center. That store along with the Shoppers Drug Mart will light up the square.

Yep, the electronic sign is so tiny now. It's the same media company putting up this new sign over the Hard Rock Cafe too. (to compete with another media company that owns the two towers across the street)

caltrane74
Jun 5, 2017, 11:06 PM
They finished installing the billboard.

All the Hard Rock Neon is gone.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Y56Wh6496Rc/WTXip6AhTmI/AAAAAAAAYE8/06f1zkqZ6f4WGfC2RGfrP8Meqcf5ciLDgCHM/s1600/IMG_20170605_185622.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1NHfnYy7BLY/WTXi0mHk2BI/AAAAAAAAYFA/gED_1t6d0cEDm1cgABy92p4XQw9vOE9HQCHM/s1600/IMG_20170605_185841.jpg

MonctonRad
Jun 5, 2017, 11:30 PM
:previous:

The Hard Rock was so iconic on that street corner for so long that it seems absolutely plebeian that the ultimate fate for this property is to become a Shoppers Drug Mart.......... :(

kwoldtimer
Jun 6, 2017, 1:52 AM

The Hard Rock was so iconic on that street corner for so long that it seems absolutely plebeian that the ultimate fate for this property is to become a Shoppers Drug Mart.......... :(

Please, it's a FLAGSHIP Shoppers Drug Mart! For all your flagship health and beauty needs. ;)

WhipperSnapper
Jun 7, 2017, 8:34 PM

Iconic? Naw. The first New York location may have reached that status briefly in the mid 1980s.

Gerrard
Jun 7, 2017, 9:41 PM
Iconic maybe in the sense it was the first one in N.A. but isn't it basically just a Planet Hollywood for music? There are way more worthy music venues with real iconic status in Toronto -the Horseshoe, Massey Hall etc. Hard Rock was just a tourist trap that reminds us the music industry is but another corporate dragnet.

I've never been to the one in T.O. (ran out on my bill in the New Orleans one once) but frankly Rockwell Jeans meant more to me than Hard Rock ever did and that's long dead and will probably never be remembered.

WhipperSnapper
Jun 8, 2017, 1:32 AM
I hope the second floor corner window gets restored as part of the flagship Shoppers Drug Mart.

davidivivid
Jun 9, 2017, 8:50 PM
IKEA Canada Adds Quebec City to Shopping List

IKEA Canada has begun laying the foundation for its upcoming Quebec City store slated to open in the summer of 2018 after Halifax this year.

IKEA Canada has broken ground on its new store in Quebec City. Set to open in the summer of 2018, the outlet is situated southwest of the Charest and Duplessis highway interchange, at the intersection of Rue Mendel and Avenue Blaise Pascal, and will take about 16 months to complete.

At approximately 340,000 square feet, the upcoming retail location will serve as a family destination offering a wide range of supplies to include 9,500 products, room sets, a restaurant, and supervised play facility for children. Key services will entail home delivery, assembly, and returns.

Jobs will be available in sales, dining, interior design, human resources, logistics, operations, and more. The Quebec City store will maintain a keen focus on energy and waste avoidance, with waste management equipment installed to maximise material recycling and diversion from landfill.

[...]
https://brandingforum.org/branding/ikea-canada-quebec-city-shopping/

As is often the case with the opening of an IKEA store, the surroundings will change dramatically as well. Cominar, the company owning the land and building the store, plans to build a new commercial district with 5 million sf of retail space spread over 14 different buildings.

http://storage.journaldequebec.com/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/jdx-prod-images/d939029f-76a3-4cf1-80ba-787c8b5b4e12_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&version=30&size=1200x

http://storage.journaldequebec.com/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/jdx-prod-images/aa667e31-44ff-4b61-965c-499742f1162e_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&version=30&size=1200x
http://www.journaldequebec.com/2017/06/08/ikea-a-quebec-cest-parti

SpongeG
Jun 11, 2017, 10:22 PM
A number of these stores expanded into Canada in recent years, will probably have an effect up here

Ann Taylor, Dress Barn, Loft, Lane Bryant: Store closures on the way

Ascena Retail Group (ASNA) -- which owns the Ann Taylor, Dress Barn, Loft, Lane Bryant, Justice, Maurices and Catherines stores -- plans to shutter between 250 and 650 locations over the next two years.

Chief executive David Jaffe made the announcement during a conference call with investors Thursday, and he didn't specify how many store closures will affect each brand. Ascena could not be immediately reached for comment.

Jaffe said 250 locations will definitely close down, and another 400 will close their doors unless the company can negotiate lower rents at those locations.

He said that the move is necessary to help the company traverse the deeply troubled brick-and-mortar retail market. Jaffe said Ascena is facing a "persistent traffic decline" and expects that to remain a "major headwind" for the company.

Ascena is far from the only company feeling the pressure. Stores that were once staples of American malls are failing rapidly, largely because of increasing competition from digital retailers like Amazon (AMZN, Tech30).

Earlier this week, Hudson's Bay (HBAYF) -- owner of Saks Fifth Avenue and Lord & Taylor -- said it is cutting its workforce by 2,000 jobs.

Macy's (M) said earlier this year that it will close 68 stores and cut 10,000 jobs.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/10/news/companies/ascena-ann-taylor-dress-barn-loft-stores-closing/index.html

OutOfTowner
Jun 12, 2017, 7:08 AM
They finished installing the billboard.

All the Hard Rock Neon is gone.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Y56Wh6496Rc/WTXip6AhTmI/AAAAAAAAYE8/06f1zkqZ6f4WGfC2RGfrP8Meqcf5ciLDgCHM/s1600/IMG_20170605_185622.jpg

Is there an ad schedule app for Shitty Square?

Until now, I have only dreamt of ever seeng a giant Vitamin Water ad..

#Bucket list.

Acajack
Jun 12, 2017, 11:01 AM
Why is the sign on top of the former Hard Rock such a riveting work in progress with almost daily updates here?

If it was Sam the Record Man I might be more excited.

caltrane74
Jun 12, 2017, 12:43 PM
Why is the sign on top of the former Hard Rock such a riveting work in progress with almost daily updates here?

If it was Sam the Record Man I might be more excited.

Don't have a sign thread here, and they are also working on the new Shoppers.

Acajack
Jun 12, 2017, 1:00 PM
Don't have a sign thread here, and they are also working on the new Shoppers.

Don't really find that that exciting either. But post away if you like! :cheers:

But what about Sam? Also, A and A Records and Tapes used to have a cool (admittedly copycat) sign on Yonge very close to Sam.

niwell
Jun 12, 2017, 1:28 PM
But what about Sam? Also, A and A Records and Tapes used to have a cool (admittedly copycat) sign on Yonge very close to Sam.

It's supposedly being installed later this summer. Not sure on the exact timelines. On one of the Ryerson buildigns at the NE end of the square.

WhipperSnapper
Jun 12, 2017, 1:48 PM
Where's the Honest Ed's sign going?

Sams?

http://anirik-01.livejournal.com/1968671.html

niwell
Jun 12, 2017, 2:11 PM
Honest Ed's sign is going here IIRC: https://goo.gl/maps/E6mo2G4Xs4z

I imagine installation should begin soon, if it hasn't already.

WhipperSnapper
Jun 12, 2017, 2:18 PM
That's kind of disappointing. I guess it will brighten up the back of the theatre

yaletown_fella
Jun 12, 2017, 3:17 PM
Would rather the Honest Eds sign be incorporated into the new Westbank development on Bathurst. It's so contrived to put it on the back of a theatre.

Martin Mtl
Jun 12, 2017, 4:28 PM
Ne_on_crophilia.

WhipperSnapper
Jun 12, 2017, 4:30 PM
Would rather the Honest Eds sign be incorporated into the new Westbank development on Bathurst. It's so contrived to put it on the back of a theatre.

yup.

softee
Jun 12, 2017, 8:59 PM
It's supposedly being installed later this summer. Not sure on the exact timelines. On one of the Ryerson buildigns at the NE end of the square.

It's going atop the Toronto Public Health building at Dundas and Victoria.

kwoldtimer
Jun 13, 2017, 12:37 PM
Looks like Sears Canada may be on the way out.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/sears-canada-raises-doubts-about-its-future-seeks-buyer/article35295798/

Martin Mtl
Jun 13, 2017, 1:51 PM
Looks like Sears Canada may be on the way out.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/sears-canada-raises-doubts-about-its-future-seeks-buyer/article35295798/

And probably no one will notice its disappearance.

kwoldtimer
Jun 13, 2017, 3:02 PM
And probably no one will notice its disappearance.

In terms of shoppers, true. In terms of shopping mall owners and 15,000+ employees, I imagine they'll notice plenty!

WhipperSnapper
Jun 13, 2017, 3:07 PM
The office space in shitty square may get extensively reno'd too.

caltrane74
Jun 13, 2017, 3:40 PM
AMZN is gonna kill these guys, every time they bankrupt a company I plan on buying a share.

They trade at 200 times earning, but just for a fun trade.

WhipperSnapper
Jun 13, 2017, 4:33 PM
There's only certain things I'd buy on amazon. Clothing is not one of them. I end up returning 1/3rd of it. It's no longer a convenient shopping experience. Sears just has dated clothing lines that take up half the Stores' footprints.

TorontoDrew
Jun 13, 2017, 4:52 PM

#Bucket list.

I'll find you one if you can find me an app for best time to ride your new Ferris Wheel.

# Bucket List.

OutOfTowner
Jun 15, 2017, 7:56 AM
I'll find you one if you can find me an app for best time to ride your new Ferris Wheel.

# Bucket List.

Hey no worries! Maybe I'll check out your latest shitbox condo at your World's Ugliest Condofront.

That'll be super exciting!

(just let me know when the nearest Beer Store closes - I hear it's fairly 'dry', as far as 'water'fronts go)

Or maybe I should head to the toxic industrial wastelands (before the inevitable shitbox condos arrive)?

osmo
Jun 15, 2017, 8:22 AM

#Bucket list.

I am not a fan of the change. Bigger, isn't always better. Dundas Square is falling victim to complacency and cheapness as all the AD boards are just converting to simple big LED boards. The texture and variety of the old boards added more life to the square versus a bunch of large TV screens we see now.

The old Labbat Blue beer can was the best thing the Square's AD features had, the old LG circle was nice as well. All those noted just added different textures that actually caught you eye. Nobody cares to look at a big TV screen unless it is something that really catches the eye. Only thing I have see of this was when H&M broadcasted their fashion show from Paris live, and people in the Square crowded to watch it.

Times Square is doing the LED boards big time as well but there is so much visual assault and variety there it really does not matter.

Acajack
Jun 15, 2017, 11:14 AM
It also doesn't matter because Times Square is... Times Square.

caltrane74
Jun 15, 2017, 1:16 PM
I don't know why you guys get so offended by Dundas Square. It is just a small fraction of the downtown core, there is the Waterfront/Harbourfront, Yorkville, Bloor West, Little Italy, India Bazaar, Greektown, Corsa Italia, Kenaignton Market, Chinatown, Entertainment District, Riverdale, Cabbagetown, Liberty Village, The Annex, Church-Wellesley Village, St. Lawrence Market, Queen Street West, West Queen West and King Street West. Plus I probably missed a few areas downtown, its so damn big.

Anyways, Dundas Square is the Toronto temple of massive consumer consumption, its where you go to buy stuff, in a way it has to be a little crass and over the top, with all these malls intersecting at one corner along with the quasi public square. People hanging out and buying stuff, little retailer and major brand sponsored events. It is one section of the city that the public/government has given over to retailers to sell their wares. It seems incredibly popular with people, when I go there it is always packed with people buying stuff. And like we mentioned before other cities have areas reserved for consumerism as well, like in Ginza or Shinjuku/Shianuba or Piccadilly,. If you don't like it you can go to the aforementioned areas of downtown to buy stuff, hang out grab a drink/bite.

niwell
Jun 15, 2017, 1:21 PM
Hey no worries! Maybe I'll check out your latest shitbox condo at your World's Ugliest Condofront.

That'll be super exciting!

(just let me know when the nearest Beer Store closes - I hear it's fairly 'dry', as far as 'water'fronts go)

Or maybe I should head to the toxic industrial wastelands (before the inevitable shitbox condos arrive)?

It's funny how you claim some moral superiority over the rest of the forumers here based on some vague, poorly expressed anti-corporatism or whatever. Or making fun of people on a Skyscraper Board for talking about height...

And yet, 90% of your posts are semi-literate screeds in the middle of the night (wonder why...). Largely rambling rants against anything remotely related to Toronto. One could only wish to have such a fulfilling life. Did the city kick your dog as a kid? Of course we've all been over this before in your former guises.

caltrane74
Jun 15, 2017, 1:31 PM
He's like the white version of Tosin. Lol!

davidivivid
Jun 15, 2017, 1:48 PM
According to several sources, Tesla Motors will open a registered dealership in Quebec City in the coming months.

Tesla Motors veut s’implanter à Québec

Après Montréal, le fabricant californien de voitures électriques Tesla Motors lorgne le marché de Québec pour ouvrir un nouveau magasin, a appris Le Journal.

Selon nos informations, Tesla Motors aurait la ferme intention d’avoir un véritable point de services à Québec, dans le secteur de la rue Cyrille-Duquet, tout près du concessionnaire Porsche existant.

Tesla prévoit dépenser plusieurs centaines de milliers de dollars au cours des prochains mois pour aménager sa nouvelle salle d’exposition et son atelier dans un immeuble qui appartient actuellement au Fonds de placement immobilier Cominar.

La Ville de Québec aurait été mise au courant tout récemment des intentions de l’entreprise, dirigée par Elon Musk, de s’installer dans la capitale.

[...]
http://www.journaldequebec.com/2017/06/15/tesla-motors-veut-simplanter-a-quebec

kwoldtimer
Jun 16, 2017, 5:34 PM
Given that they have stores in Canada, I'll ask - Amazon is buying Whole Foods. Brilliant or weird? :shrug:

Taeolas
Jun 16, 2017, 5:38 PM
A comment from a friend of mine about that:

Bezos: "Alexa, buy dinner from Whole Foods"
Alexa: "OK. Buying Whole Foods"
Bezos: "Wait, what? ...crap."

As for the actual purchase... it's different. Not a bad way for Amazon to legitimize itself in the grocery market biz, and it takes out a competitor, while giving Whole Foods a readymade e-distribution chain.

WhipperSnapper
Jun 16, 2017, 5:46 PM
Brilliant?

I mean I like science fiction. Amazon is on the list should we end up with "a company" in a dystopian future

caltrane74
Jun 16, 2017, 6:44 PM
Pretty soon AMZN will be the only company.

Things are looking that way, I'm still trying to save up a $1000 USD to buy a single share. I bought APPL last week, and I want to own the FANG trade.

WhipperSnapper
Jun 16, 2017, 7:01 PM
Amazon share. Very elite. Apple? They're as common as people.

MonctonRad
Jun 16, 2017, 7:38 PM

Is Amazon actually making a profit yet?

caltrane74
Jun 16, 2017, 7:40 PM
They just paid 14 billion in Cash for Whole Foods, and every week they seem to put another traditional retailer out of business.

I think they are doing ok.

WhipperSnapper
Jun 16, 2017, 7:55 PM
Doesn't say much. They are very good at raising capital. There have also been others very good at raising capital in the past that no longer exist today. Eventually, you do need to show business acumen.

caltrane74
Jun 16, 2017, 8:16 PM
Huh?

Doesn't say much they are threatening the very existence of bricks and mortar retail.

How much acumen do you need?

Your buddies on Wall Street have valued the company at 200 times earnings, that is crazy and unheard of. What other company trades at such a ridiculous multiple? Obviously a lot of your rich banker friends and investors think very highly of Bezos to drive the stock so high.

WhipperSnapper
Jun 16, 2017, 8:42 PM
I'm speaking in general like I always do but, yeah, 200 times earnings speaks volumes that we are in for another tech correction at some point.

You can't pin every retail chain closing on Amazon either. That's just insanity.

LeftCoaster
Jun 16, 2017, 8:46 PM
42% of all online purchases in the United States go through Amazon. That is beyond impressive.

isaidso
Jun 16, 2017, 8:55 PM
I love Dundas Square. I'm just not a fan of the crappy building behind the wall of advertisement on the north side. They seemed so pre-occupied with the billboards that they forgot that they still needed to give Toronto a quality building.

Two smaller grievances: it's not a true public square and it's sloped. It's not public space even though it's used that way. Private security can ask anyone to exit the square for what ever reason they want. Secondly, that they put underground parking here compromised the success of the square from the get go. It still works but it's not as good as it could have been.

In other words, par for the course for Toronto. Berczy Park is one of the few times Toronto has been ambitious and delivered. Dundas Square is more in line with Toronto standards: not built right the first time. On the bright side, maybe 30 years from now Dundas Square will reach its potential. Overall I still like it.

osmo
Jun 16, 2017, 9:02 PM
Amazon wants to replace the postal service and be able to deliver everything to your door. What other reason for Whole Foods aside from they belive they can use WF distribution channels and piggy back to deliver groceries to consumers.

kwoldtimer
Jun 16, 2017, 9:53 PM
I love Dundas Square. I'm just not a fan of the crappy building behind the wall of advertisement on the north side. They seemed so pre-occupied with the billboards that they forgot that they still needed to give Toronto a quality building.

Two smaller grievances: it's not a true public square and it's sloped. It's not public space even though it's used that way. Private security can ask anyone to exit the square for what ever reason they want. Secondly, that they put underground parking here compromised the success of the square from the get go. It still works but it's not as good as it could have been.

In other words, par for the course for Toronto. Berczy Park is one of the few times Toronto has been ambitious and delivered. Dundas Square is more in line with Toronto standards: not built right the first time. On the bright side, maybe 30 years from now Dundas Square will reach its potential. Overall I still like it.

You love it because you "get" Toronto. I did not realize that Dundas Square was not a pubic space. Who owns it? You are right about Berczy Park - I think it's glorious and I'm hoping that the renewed Grange Park will be another success (and worthy home for Moore's Large Two Figures).

WhipperSnapper
Jun 16, 2017, 11:31 PM
42% of all online purchases in the United States go through Amazon. That is beyond impressive.

It's plain nuts. This could only be accomplished with investors throwing money on them hoping they become that company in the dystopian future popular in science fiction. They could also become completely irrelevant in as little as a decade to the next best thing.

WhipperSnapper
Jun 16, 2017, 11:37 PM
Dundas Square is a publicly owned square. It is, however, operated as a business.

OutOfTowner
Jun 17, 2017, 6:59 AM
It also doesn't matter because Times Square is... Times Square.

And unlike Torontonians who continuously defend Shite Square, New Yorkers universally hate Times Square, avoid it like the plague, and will gleefully tell you how much they think it sucks.

Times Square devolved into the piece of shit that it is today but was never intentionally designed to be a piece of shit.

Unlike Dundas Square.

I will never understand the thought process that lead to the construction of such a failed space in so prominent a location.

Never ever ever.

OutOfTowner
Jun 17, 2017, 7:23 AM
It's funny how you claim some moral superiority over the rest of the forumers here based on some vague, poorly expressed anti-corporatism or whatever. Or making fun of people on a Skyscraper Board for talking about height...

And yet, 90% of your posts are semi-literate screeds in the middle of the night (wonder why...). Largely rambling rants against anything remotely related to Toronto. One could only wish to have such a fulfilling life. Did the city kick your dog as a kid? Of course we've all been over this before in your former guises.

Bravo! You deftly avoided addressing any issue I brought up in the post that you quoted. Did I mention height?

You know, it was schmarmy little pretentious condescending weasels such as yourself - and there are so many of you annoying c*nts in Toronto - that turned me off the place while I lived there.

I post late because I work late. I don't have time for this crap during waking hours. Plus, my girlfriend mocks me whenever she sees me on here. "Oh sorry to interrupt you, I see you're on your penis blog!" She is wise.

Ever wonder why there are virtually no women here?

Probably not..

softee
Jun 17, 2017, 8:00 AM
New Yorkers universally hate Times Square, avoid it like the plague, and will gleefully tell you how much they think it sucks.

Many Torontonians feel the exact same way about Dundas Square. Look at any discussion about Dundas Square on Urban Toronto and /r/Toronto.

OutOfTowner
Jun 17, 2017, 8:24 AM
Many Torontonians feel the exact same way about Dundas Square. Look at any discussion about Dundas Square on Urban Toronto and /r/Toronto.

Indeed, most of my friends in Toronto hate it.

What I will never understand is how or why a city would take the singular opportunity to design such a prominent square - in a place so sorely lacking in squares - and waste that opportunity by intentionally building a tacky piece of shit that is unsuitable for practically any function that a city square is supposed to perform.

I'm baffled as to how that could be allowed to happen.

I mean.. ??????

But then, CityPlace was allowed to happen so..

Must be something in the water.

Martin Mtl
Jun 17, 2017, 2:12 PM
/\ I think that you made your point. Maybe you should let it go before alienating every member on the forum ?

Xelebes
Jun 17, 2017, 2:30 PM
OoT, it's time to move on. Thank you.

Acajack
Jun 17, 2017, 3:24 PM

What I will never understand is how or why a city would take the singular opportunity to design such a prominent square - in a place so sorely lacking in squares - and waste that opportunity by intentionally building a tacky piece of shit that is unsuitable for practically any function that a city square is supposed to perform.

I mean.. ??????

At the risk of inflaming passions, this is still an interesting point. Toronto does seem to rely a lot on what private enterprise wants to do with its public realm, and doesn't seem to provide as much "public sector steering" as some other cities do.

hipster duck
Jun 17, 2017, 3:40 PM
I can't believe I'm responding to a troll, but here goes.

Dundas Square was an opportunity to build an open space on top of a city-owned underground parking garage. Its primary purpose is to provide a venue for programmed events such as fairs, rib fests, free public concerts, etc. It does this job well. These are important functions of public spaces. Too often people feel that public space's sole purpose is to allow for unstructured, spontaneous activity. Spaces already exist in droves for that: parks, sidewalks; heck, just across the street on the west side, you have an assortment of bizarre characters and hucksters spouting off about everything from Jesus saving you to trying to sell black history pamphlets.

In the late 1990s/early 2000s when downtown revitalization was not a sure thing, Concord Pacific was probably the only development company with a track record of building urban, master planned communities of that scale. Given the size of the land, and the era in which it was sold, they were, frankly, lucky to get a developer who would slowly build high density highrise, urban condominiums over a 20 year period. I doubt that a developer in Montreal would have been able to pull off something of this scope at that time (proof? Angus Shop's lamentable conversion to a big box mall with surface parking).

At the time, the CityPlace masterplan seemed very ambitious. They even had temporary uses for the space like a golf driving range which almost felt like a "Plan B" in case the appetite for high density downtown living failed to materialize.

You have to recognize the context and era in which decisions are made. So far, your posts don't seem to suggest that you're too good in that department.

This is trolling and not worthy of a response.

kwoldtimer
Jun 17, 2017, 3:43 PM
At the risk of inflaming passions, this is still an interesting point. Toronto does seem to rely a lot on what private enterprise wants to do with its public realm, and doesn't seem to provide as much "public sector steering" as some other cities do.

That might be true, or it might reflect the scale/volume of private enterprise activity, or some combination. I suppose Dundas Sq could, arguably, support the thesis (although it is an initiative of the City) and there is the still to be determined railway deck park concept. Are there other examples?

Martin Mtl
Jun 17, 2017, 3:57 PM
I can't believe I'm responding to a troll, but here goes.

Dundas Square was an opportunity to build an open space on top of a city-owned underground parking garage. Its primary purpose is to provide a venue for programmed events such as fairs, rib fests, free public concerts, etc. It does this job well. These are important functions of public spaces. Too often people feel that public space's sole purpose is to allow for unstructured, spontaneous activity. Spaces already exist in droves for that: parks, sidewalks; heck, just across the street on the west side, you have an assortment of bizarre characters and hucksters spouting off about everything from Jesus saving you to trying to sell black history pamphlets.

In the late 1990s/early 2000s when downtown revitalization was not a sure thing, Concord Pacific was probably the only development company with a track record of building urban, master planned communities of that scale. Given the size of the land, and the era in which it was sold, they were, frankly, lucky to get a developer who would slowly build high density highrise, urban condominiums over a 20 year period. I doubt that a developer in Montreal would have been able to pull off something of this scope at that time (proof? Angus Shop's lamentable conversion to a big box mall with surface parking).

At the time, the CityPlace masterplan seemed very ambitious. They even had temporary uses for the space like a golf driving range which almost felt like a "Plan B" in case the appetite for high density downtown living failed to materialize.

You have to recognize the context and era in which decisions are made. So far, your posts don't seem to suggest that you're too good in that department.

This is trolling and not worthy of a response.

All good points, but in fairness though, there is no big box mall in the Angus shop neighborhood (which is many kilometers away from downtown, in Rosemont, so not really a fair comparison), there is one Lowblaw's with a surface parking lot though.

Even though Angus shop can feel a little suburban, it is still decent, with large parts of it made of public housing, parks, offices in mid-rises buildings. It's actually a successful sector with a good mix of residential and working spaces. The next phase will also be denser and more urban:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2935/33233706611_192848a166_b.jpg

hipster duck
Jun 17, 2017, 4:19 PM
^That's good to hear. I think if Angus Shops would be redeveloped from scratch today it would probably be a standout neighbourhood - similar to some of the stuff proposed along the Lachine Canal. I'm glad the city is redeveloping a redevelopment, so to speak.

That's the conundrum of urban development. The first mover into a new market takes on the most risk, so they end up developing something very modest on what will eventually be prime land. That's why we sometimes see really bad 1980s townhouses with garages out front in the middle of downtown.

WhipperSnapper
Jun 17, 2017, 4:31 PM
Bravo! You deftly avoided addressing any issue I brought up in the post that you quoted. Did I mention height?

You know, it was schmarmy little pretentious condescending weasels such as yourself - and there are so many of you annoying c*nts in Toronto - that turned me off the place while I lived there.

I post late because I work late. I don't have time for this crap during waking hours. Plus, my girlfriend mocks me whenever she sees me on here. "Oh sorry to interrupt you, I see you're on your penis blog!" She is wise.

Ever wonder why there are virtually no women here?

Probably not..

She is wise. Take her advice. Please stop posting.

WhipperSnapper
Jun 17, 2017, 4:46 PM

That's simply not true as much as you may or may not wish it to be. Can't be certain. You are reasonable but, you do get wrapped up in your agenda.

WhipperSnapper
Jun 17, 2017, 5:00 PM

I mean.. ??????

Downtown Toronto is hardly lacking in squares and parkettes. It's larger parks (say 25 acres) that are solely missing.

Yeah, Cityplace was allowed to happen. I'm curious on your thoughts on True North's contribution that was allowed to be built south of the Bell Centre in Montreal. It's much smaller but, still ... only a fool would say that was a lesser wasted opportunity than Cityplace or would find it master plan and architecture better. It's very easy to cherrypick things.

The fact your trolling goes on and on about Dundas Square and Cityplace instead of finding new things to bash only proves that Toronto isn't this awful corporate run wasteland you want it to be. The Bell Centre boom would be right at home in Toronto's Entertainment District. Hey, one of the tower design was originally for the Entertainment District. The two cities are actually more alike than you or Acajack have in their head.

TownGuy
Jun 17, 2017, 5:10 PM
Toronto really does suck at building great public spaces

http://www.claudecormier.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/berczy-park-71.jpg

http://www.claudecormier.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/berczy-park-67.jpg

Source (http://www.claudecormier.com/en/projet/berczy-park/)

Martin Mtl
Jun 17, 2017, 5:13 PM
Everyone hates True North's Jardin Windsor. Over at MtlUrb, it is the most hated urban intervention in Montreal for the last few decades. A huge missed opportunity, but back then nothing else was being build in this city. It's actually became a running gag. Hopefully, it will be completely surrounded by better and larger towers (CF's quad Windsor project) and be forgotten.