PDA

View Full Version : General Updates and News

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118

halifaxboyns
Sep 2, 2011, 4:01 PM
As I recall Harold was an employee of Moosehead Breweries at the time and the event was theirs. I don't think Moosehead asked the govt for anything to prop it up.

I remember that too, because there was some sort of big event at City Hall in the plaza and they were giving away Moosehead stuff for it. I ended up with a Moosehead hat, even though I was a kid. :)

DigitalNinja
Sep 3, 2011, 12:26 PM
A flyer came into my work yesterday from DTZ barnicke. they have a few pieces of land up for sale.

565 Windmill rd is up for sale, 11.5 million. (The old steel mill)
1266 Queen st. Is up for sale. "The Mary Queen of Scots" It's a heritage building though.
They have an ad for retail in the Trillium.
1711 Barrington st is up for sale as well. For 795,000
There is also a block of houses up for sale on the corner of North and robie. Selling for 2.5mil. C2 zoned.
155 Wyse rd is vacant land up for sale.
There is an ad in here for new construction in hammonds plains that says is starting construction in fall of 2011.

And that is about it for the major stuff.

pblaauw
Sep 7, 2011, 3:59 AM
Back in '09, Peter MacKay announced a new Armoury in Bedford. Does anyone know where it was built (or where it will be built, if it hasn't already, though I suspect it has). I can only think of the shooting range as a possible location.

At some point, he also said he would be back to talk about the long runway at Shearwater. ....still waiting!

planarchy
Sep 7, 2011, 1:40 PM
I don't think there is a thread for this...Project sounds bigger than I expected. Should be a great change for a dismal corner.

Mixed Use Facilty on the development site on Brunswick and Cogswell
http://www.citadelhotelmakeover.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/rendering2.jpg

A member of the community since 1963, the Citadel Halifax Hotel is changing to better serve the community and visitors.
The development site on Brunswick and Cogswell Streets will be transformed into a mixed-use facility, featuring two new hotels and a residential building, combined with restaurant and retail space.

Join Steve Giblin, President and CEO, for a morning briefing on this exciting project.

When: September 8, 2011, 9:00 AM

Where: Citadel Halifax Hotel, Terrace Room

SilverBirch Hotels and Resorts, proud operator of the Citadel Halifax Hotel, is one of Canada's leading hotel management companies, with over 20 hotels and resorts across the country. To learn more, visit CitadelHotelMakeover.ca (http://www.CitadelHotelMakeover.ca)

Light refreshments will be served. Parking is available at the Citadel Halifax Hotel.

Event Date and Time
Thursday, September 8 - 9:00 am

Event Location
the Citadel Halifax Hotel

kph06
Sep 7, 2011, 1:47 PM
This would be quite a change:

Source (and more images) (http://www.citadelhotelmakeover.ca/images/)

planarchy
Sep 7, 2011, 1:51 PM
There’s a new look coming for Spring Garden Road

By JOHN DEMONT Business Reporter
Wed, Sep 7 - 4:54 AM

Remember Halifax’s Spring Garden Road back in the 1990s? Louis Lawen does — the empty malls, the blank storefronts, the fast-food joints occupying prime street-front real estate space.

"It didn’t much look like a place where anything was happening," the president of Dexel Developments says. "Not like now."

That’s not just a developer’s empty talk.

Lawen’s company, after all, is behind the high-end 97-unit residential development over City Centre Atlantic. But that’s only one of a long list of residential and commercial developments already underway or on the planning board for the Spring Garden Road area.

The new library, when it is finished, may be the shining symbol of the area’s rebirth. But 1,000 residential units are also set to come on stream in the next few years. And that figure is sure to soar, given the large swaths of downtown land likely to fall into developers’ hands in the near future.

All those people living in the area are, of course, good for business. At the same time, well-known entrepreneurs like Mickey MacDonald are investing. MacDonald is turning The Shops of Mills into a women’s shopping boutique and is opening a franchise of his fabled Chickenburger restaurant across the street from the new library. And national chains are again expressing interest in opening outlets on Spring Garden.

The upshot: a transformation that could eventually spark a commercial rebirth of the city’s downtown.

"In five years, we won’t even recognize Spring Garden Road," says Danny Chedrawe, president of Westwood Developments.

Thanks to Chedrawe, that metamorphosis is already underway. Among the projects on his plate are a $10-million office building on the corner of Spring Garden Road and Birmingham Street and a hotel-condominium and retail complex fronting on Spring Garden, where the Second Cup is located, and bordered by Brunswick, Queen and Doyle streets.

Chedrawe is also assembling other buildings to change the local landscape. And, he told The Chronicle Herald, he is planning another major Spring Garden development.

"Everything I’ve seen about the street’s future is encouraging."

Wadih Fares clearly feels the same way. His 19-storey The Trillium development on South Park Street will bring 84 new high-end condos to the market. A partnership between the Fares Group and Banc Developments, owned by Besim Halif, for a mixed commercial-residential development in the area of Birmingham, Clyde and Queen streets will also add to the buzz.

The new construction won’t stop there. Developer Joe Ramia of Rank Inc. is in discussions with Saint Mary’s Basilica regarding the church’s parking lot at the corner of Spring Garden Road and Grafton Street. And Shannex Inc., owned by Cape Breton tycoon Joe Shannon, is moving ahead with plans to build a seniors residence on land south of Spring Garden formerly owned by All Saints Cathedral.

In the months ahead, Halifax Regional Municipality plans to sell off hectares of vacant land in the Spring Garden area for development. Next to go on auction: the old Infirmary hospital site.

That willingness to help rather than hinder development reflects the new thinking within the municipal administration: that a strong urban core is the best way to develop the municipal economy and even the provincial one.

If that’s the case, MacDonald says, the city has to do more to make Spring Garden a superior shopping experience.

"Everything is done for the big-box stores," he says. "Spring Garden Road is the heart of Halifax. It deserves its share of incentives."

Andy Fillmore, the city’s design manager, says tax incentives are only one thing under consideration to take Spring Garden Road to the next level as a business destination. Widening sidewalks and even turning the street into a pedestrian mall are other possibilities.

Then, who knows? Spring Garden Road’s rebirth may be just beginning.

beyeas
Sep 7, 2011, 2:18 PM

Wow... that is not a reno, that is a total redo.
Not a huge fan of the design. It is ok, but fairly uninspired. But still a significant improvement over what is already there.

Wishblade
Sep 7, 2011, 2:41 PM
According to that article City Centre Atlantic will actually have more units than the Trillium which is very decieving given the vast difference in height. It states the Trillium has 84 units to CCA's 97.

halifaxboyns
Sep 7, 2011, 3:04 PM
Trillium is on a vary narrow but long lot - so I'm not surprised by this. CC has a lot more room to play with in both width and depth, so you could get more units in the space.

The Citadell Hotel drawing is interesting - that's much more than what they originally said they were going to do. I'm concerned about the level of commercial along Brunswick Street though. I'm not sure if there are enough people in that area to support that much commercial. Then again, 2 hotels plus a residential building (with 3 existing high density residential buildings near by) - it might work. Could be an interesting pedestrian oriented commercial strip.

The design itself isn't really stunning or flies off the page - but still it's a big step up from what was there before. Makes me wonder about HbD though...would the proposal go beyond the existing post bonus height limits?

The article about SGR is great. There are two comments which stand out to me in this article:

In the months ahead, Halifax Regional Municipality plans to sell off hectares of vacant land in the Spring Garden area for development. Next to go on auction: the old Infirmary hospital site. That willingness to help rather than hinder development reflects the new thinking within the municipal administration: that a strong urban core is the best way to develop the municipal economy and even the provincial one.
To this I say - it's about time. I think there just needed to be a kick and the convention centre $ I think has created buzz and energy...it's got people talking and thinking. This is good.

But my favorite comment is Danny Chedrawe's:
"In five years, we won’t even recognize Spring Garden Road," .
If he is right, I look forward to that day. I'm hopeful that all this development will finally get HRM to go ahead with the work they committed to doing on the urban realm improvements. But this is all very good buzz...

Empire
Sep 7, 2011, 3:49 PM

Too much precast..............

beyeas
Sep 7, 2011, 4:01 PM
The article about SGR is great. There are two comments which stand out to me in this article:

That willingness to help rather than hinder development reflects the new thinking within the municipal administration: that a strong urban core is the best way to develop the municipal economy and even the provincial one.

If I only I could believe the rhetoric though.
If they truly think that, why did they choose to open up the new land for expanding BLIP? Now there is nothing they can because it will all be developed as of right, but they never should have opened up that land to begin. It is like they can't help themselves... they talk a big talk about strengthening the core, and then do things that shoot that in the foot.

Personally my favourite comment was the developer's comment calling the city out on the fact that if the city truly believes in strengthening the core then they better start subsidizing/incentivizing downtown development at the same level or better than they do sub-urban power centre retail.

planarchy
Sep 7, 2011, 4:18 PM
If they truly think that, why did they choose to open up the new land for expanding BLIP? Now there is nothing they can because it will all be developed as of right, but they never should have opened up that land to begin. It is like they can't help themselves... they talk a big talk about strengthening the core, and then do things that shoot that in the foot.[/B]

Exactly. Until they get out of the business of enabling and profiting off of large scale fringe development (not by taxes, but land sale), businesses downtown will struggle.

someone123
Sep 7, 2011, 5:35 PM
Not a huge fan of the design. It is ok, but fairly uninspired. But still a significant improvement over what is already there.

I also think it is basic, but then again not every apartment building or hotel needs to be impressive. These are "background buildings" that mostly just need to function properly. The library is an example of a project that should be more architecturally ambitious, and it's only a few blocks away.

This is a great project for several reasons:

-The hotel is already there so they have a guaranteed tenant and there seems to be lots of demand for apartments.
-This can tie in with a redevelopment of the site across the street.
-The retail spaces have a good chance of being successful because visitors in hotels love to have restaurants and shops immediately nearby.
-I bet these buildings will fill in the skyline a bit from some angles.

And yeah, Spring Garden Road is doing very well.

planarchy
Sep 7, 2011, 5:37 PM
I also think it is basic, but then again not every apartment building or hotel needs to be impressive. These are "background buildings" that mostly just need to function properly and look inoffensive. The library is an example of a project that should be more architecturally ambitious, and it's only a few blocks away.

This is a great project for several reasons:

-The hotel is already there so they have a guaranteed tenant and there seems to be lots of demand for apartments.
-This can tie in with a redevelopment of the site across the street.
-The retail spaces have a good chance of being successful because visitors in hotels love to have restaurants and shops immediately nearby.
-I bet these buildings will fill in the skyline a bit from some angles.

And yeah, Spring Garden Road is doing very well.

It's also nice to see that any surface parking, if still necessary for whatever reason, moved to the interior of the block.

worldlyhaligonian
Sep 7, 2011, 6:25 PM
Too much precast..............

I think this modern style looks better than pre-cast on faux heritage elements.

Overall, I'm pleasantly suprised... so is this as of right, or does it have to go through the goon squad?

worldlyhaligonian
Sep 7, 2011, 6:28 PM
Credit: Citadelhotelmakeover.ca
http://www.citadelhotelmakeover.ca/wp-content/gallery/images/4_building-drawings-14.jpg

alps
Sep 7, 2011, 7:37 PM
Boring building but a big improvement, and I'll be so glad to see that corner surface parking lot gone (or at least hidden). But it's also too bad that the hills in Halifax seem to lead to a lot of bad street level design with the blank walls. Same thing going on here as with the Nova Centre.

halifaxboyns
Sep 7, 2011, 7:43 PM
If I only I could believe the rhetoric though.
If they truly think that, why did they choose to open up the new land for expanding BLIP? Now there is nothing they can because it will all be developed as of right, but they never should have opened up that land to begin. It is like they can't help themselves... they talk a big talk about strengthening the core, and then do things that shoot that in the foot.

Personally my favourite comment was the developer's comment calling the city out on the fact that if the city truly believes in strengthening the core then they better start subsidizing/incentivizing downtown development at the same level or better than they do sub-urban power centre retail.

I definately agree. But until there is a policy shift, I don't think you will see much of a shift from this for the forseeable future. But we can take comfort in the fact that they've realized that tax incentives for the downtown core are a good idea and moving towards them.

I look at this as a step forward.

As to the Citadell Hotel, the design is pretty interesting. I'm definately in favour of getting rid of as many surface parking lots in the City as possible. This design makes good use of the parcel, putting the building right up to the edge and then concealing the parking behind the building.

It looks like I was way off on the post bonus map. According to the HbD post bonus map, this area is in the rampart maximum heights. So with the exception of the parts falling under a viewplane, they can give'r.

Personally though - if you are going to talk about some interesting designs for hotels, I'd suggest the Coast Coal Harbour Hotel in Vancouver (alas no thread in the Vancouver section), but you can google some images (http://www.pnwarchitecture.com/LegacyImages/C/CoastCoalHarbourHotel-00909-001a.jpg). I like it because of the lobby concept - one in and out with garage and lobby under the podium and retail space facing the street. So no open parking.

Of course the other hotel design I'd love to see end up in Halifax is the Fairmont Pacific Rim (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=138029&page=35).

Keith P.
Sep 7, 2011, 9:39 PM
I am old enough to remember the original Citadel Inn - it was affiliated with a Canadian chain called Seaway Hotels, which is now long gone. There is a neat pic of it shortly after it opened:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll229/keith_p/citadelinn.jpg

bluenoser
Sep 7, 2011, 9:43 PM
I think the original design actually looks pretty cool...

I'll always be disappointed with precast and I find the design similar to the Juno (?) building at Stadacona except not as timeless... Overall though I think this development will be great for this area. The street treatment is like night and day compared to what's there now and it will definitely impact the skyline, especially from the classic downtown Dartmouth viewpoint. You can see the current hotel on the right of this pic as the last of the cluster of taller buildings.

http://www.fivb.org/Vis2009/Images/GetImage.asmx?No=201131331
http://www.fivb.org/Vis2009/Images/GetImage.asmx?No=201131331

JustinMacD
Sep 7, 2011, 10:19 PM
That's a sexy picture right there.

fenwick16
Sep 7, 2011, 11:16 PM
There are so many exciting developments taking place in the Halifax area right now. Next year, 2012, could be a booming year in the HRM. Hopefully the HRM has reached a point where all this development is financially sustainable on a continuing basis.

Based on the fact that this project can be approved through HRM_by_Design it could possibly start in the very near future.

RyeJay
Sep 8, 2011, 12:02 AM

Uninspiring, perhaps slightly. But man, I am just so happy to see a development using ALL the outside parking space for towers. Density!!

Empire
Sep 8, 2011, 1:44 AM
Credit: Citadelhotelmakeover.ca
http://www.citadelhotelmakeover.ca/wp-content/gallery/images/4_building-drawings-14.jpg

Looks a bit similar to this military residence.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=halifax&hl=en&ll=44.658824,-63.589082&spn=0.000015,0.01354&sll=44.659133,-63.589197&sspn=0.000933,0.001692&vpsrc=6&z=16&layer=c&cbll=44.658177,-63.589742&panoid=HS1ID-fUxbJIld8gv4WkTA&cbp=12,299.71,,1,-15

Waye Mason
Sep 8, 2011, 2:06 AM
I am old enough to remember the original Citadel Inn - it was affiliated with a Canadian chain called Seaway Hotels, which is now long gone. There is a neat pic of it shortly after it opened:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll229/keith_p/citadelinn.jpg

That's basically still it.... that stonework is under the expanded restaurant area is still there, the canopy/entrance is the same, the low rise is the same but might be a story or two taller... there is a tower behind it now that is eight stories. The hotel has been allowed to run down for some time, I did a conference there and it was sad, light switches and door stops that didn't work, just generally shabby.

someone123
Sep 8, 2011, 2:11 AM
I made a new thread for the Citadel redevelopment: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=5403912

beyeas
Sep 8, 2011, 12:07 PM
quoted from Tom Traves' email re: the Dal President's Report...

Those of you travelling to campus via Oxford Street know that we commenced construction this summer of an exciting expansion of the Life Sciences Centre, our Oceans Excellence Building. We also expect to start construction this Fall of a new residence building on LeMarchant Street opposite Risley Hall. This building will also house offices for a number of student service operations. In the Spring, we will start building a new Learning Commons in the Life Sciences Centre to address students' study and social needs. This project was fully funded by a generous donor whom we will identify as this exciting initiative unfolds. For those of you affected by numerous renovation projects underway across the campus, everything from fixing potholes in roadways to improving classrooms, you will appreciate, perhaps with some ambivalence since such projects inevitably create temporary inconvenience, that campus renewal is more than new buildings. Dalhousie suffers from substantial deferred maintenance issues that require persistent attention. We are making great progress in this area, but every Spring brings new potholes. Your patience while we complete these initiatives is most appreciated.

Our campus master plan also identifies three major projects that will absorb much attention in the next few years: an Interprofessional Health Education Building on our Carleton campus, a desperately needed building on Sexton Campus to meet enrolment and program growth in our Faculties of Engineering and Architecture & Planning, and a long overdue renovation and expansion of the Dalplex, built originally to meet the needs of a campus with only 8,000 students. Our students will eventually contribute $20 million from a special fee approved with student support two years ago to fund this project.

q12
Sep 8, 2011, 5:21 PM
Moved post to new thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=5404758#post5404758

RyeJay
Sep 8, 2011, 6:01 PM
Looks a bit similar to this military residence.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=halifax&hl=en&ll=44.658824,-63.589082&spn=0.000015,0.01354&sll=44.659133,-63.589197&sspn=0.000933,0.001692&vpsrc=6&z=16&layer=c&cbll=44.658177,-63.589742&panoid=HS1ID-fUxbJIld8gv4WkTA&cbp=12,299.71,,1,-15

Lol! You're right!

Hmm, this new development shall potentially broaden the scope of Halifax's skyline. A repetition in appearance will visually tie-in the buildings.

RyeJay
Sep 9, 2011, 10:32 PM
Maybe I need to teach myself how to do a basic rendering...

But a humble call out to anyone who is knowledgable in graphics: it would be very interesting, and a great generator of anticipation, if someone would be able to do a simple aerial rendering (even just of basic shapes) of all the developments we are seeing downtown:

- C.C.Atlantic
- Library
- Citadel Hotel redevelopment
- YMCA/CBC South Park St. Towers
- Fenwick renovations
- TD Spring Garden
- TD Barrington expansion
- Nova Centre
- Roy Building redevelopment
- Old Discovery Centre redevelopment
- Barrington Escape
...etc.

Even throw the potential additions of the three sister sites and the united gulf towers for the hell of 'er.

RyeJay
Sep 10, 2011, 11:26 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/RyJ/392.jpg

Somethin like that. ha! :cool:

haligonia
Sep 11, 2011, 12:42 AM

That really puts into perspective the height of Skye. Wow.

RyeJay
Sep 11, 2011, 1:32 AM

Skye has won me over. The difference in height, which I originally found jarring, is really something I've warmed up to. Aside from the classy 'Scotian-touch' of these two towers being curved to appear as though they were masts of a sailing ship, the difference in height of Skye contrasts with the rest of the skyline. This development makes the eye appreciate Halifax's density. Skye is as much of a spotlight for itself, as it is for the rest of the skyline.

fenwick16
Sep 11, 2011, 3:03 AM

Nice job.

The Alexander has been approved also (19 storeys), however, it is hard to say if it will go ahead. Here is the thread for that project - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=139698

resetcbu1
Sep 11, 2011, 5:19 AM
Reminds me of the WTC towers in that mock up.

someone123
Sep 11, 2011, 7:49 AM

The difference in height is interesting. I hope they are built.

worldlyhaligonian
Sep 11, 2011, 2:05 PM
Interesting... I think Sky would look a bit better if it was a few floors less.

Wouldn't the Alexander be a bit taller?

RyeJay
Sep 11, 2011, 2:08 PM
Interesting... I think Sky would look a bitter better if it was a few floors less.

Wouldn't the Alexander be a bit taller?

Skye may indeed be shorter, just as the Alendander is taller, in this quickly done 2D rendering.

RyeJay
Sep 12, 2011, 1:14 AM
I don't know if this has been asked, but is anyone under the impression that B.C.'s scrapping of the HST may seriously, seriously be a good thing for Halifax's chances of winning the DND shipbuilding contract?

Me thinks.

halifaxboyns
Sep 12, 2011, 4:07 AM
I don't know if this has been asked, but is anyone under the impression that B.C.'s scrapping of the HST may seriously, seriously be a good thing for Halifax's chances of winning the DND shipbuilding contract?

Me thinks.

Well it is going to have a huge impact on their budgets for the next three years, at least. All that money they received to implement the HST will have to be paid back and the fact that it won't be fully retracted for at least 18 months will mean all that money collected will have to go back to people somehow.

Empire
Sep 12, 2011, 12:12 PM
Does anyone know what the +Ten storey crane next to the Dartmouth Yacht Club is for? It is between Sheppard's Island and DYC.

Wishblade
Sep 12, 2011, 12:25 PM
Does anyone know what the +Ten storey crane next to the Dartmouth Yacht Club is for? It is between Sheppard's Island and DYC.

That would be the crane for the 6 story residential building going in at Wrights Cove:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=179769

Empire
Sep 12, 2011, 1:51 PM
That would be the crane for the 6 story residential building going in at Wrights Cove:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=179769

Oh yes, the very ugly building.

Empire
Sep 13, 2011, 2:00 AM
Halifax. Photos by Empire

Fenwick Tower
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/empire1_2007/IMG_3496.jpg

Public Gardens
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/empire1_2007/IMG_3490.jpg

Halifax Commons
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/empire1_2007/IMG_3482.jpg

Barrington St.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/empire1_2007/IMG_3480.jpg

More photos on ............. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=193843

fenwick16
Sep 13, 2011, 2:40 AM
:previous: Fantastic pictures Empire!

someone123
Sep 13, 2011, 2:44 AM
I agree, great pictures, although this would be more on-topic in the photo section of the Halifax local. You could also make a "City Photos" thread in addition to the post in the Canada section.

The Barrington view shows that the TD redevelopment will have a pretty big effect when viewed from street level. It seems like it's taking forever, but hopefully we will eventually see some significant reinvestment in Barrington.

It is also interesting to see just how many big clusters of new buildings exist in Halifax. The city has grown up a lot during the past decade, and I could see this growth accelerating. Halifax is becoming a mid-sized city with multiple busy nodes and larger scale development. It is getting into the size range where stuff like a major stadium or LRT become viable; if these happen it will be a great little city.

fenwick16
Sep 17, 2011, 2:09 PM
The office vacancy rate in downtown Halifax is starting to go down. Hopefully this means that the Waterside construction will resume soon.

As is often the case for Halifax-area news stories, a negative connotation is given in the article title. However, it is a positive story, in my opinion. Chronicle Herald link - http://thechronicleherald.ca/Business/1263610.html
'Progress downtown' means suburbs lose ground
Vacancy rate in core dips slightly in Q3
By CHRIS LAMBIE Business Editor
Sat, Sep 17 - 4:55 AM

The trend of office tenants moving to Halifax’s suburbs at the expense of the central market is cooling, according to Cushman & Wakefield.

The commercial real estate broker reported Friday that the municipality’s suburban vacancy rate dropped to nine per cent in the third quarter from 9.1 per cent in Q2. In the urban core, the vacancy rate fell to 8.3 per cent from 8.6 per cent in the second quarter.

"A bit of progress downtown" is the way Bill MacAvoy, managing director with Cushman & Wakefield Atlantic, described the Halifax situation.

worldlyhaligonian
Sep 17, 2011, 2:38 PM
Viva la downtown!

Credit: notme2000 on flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6187/6153829427_5420d9429b_b.jpg

RyeJay
Sep 17, 2011, 2:49 PM
The office vacancy rate in downtown Halifax is starting to go down. Hopefully this means that the Waterside construction will resume soon.

As is often the case for Halifax-area news stories, a negative connotation is given in the article title. However, it is a positive story, in my opinion. Chronicle Herald link - http://thechronicleherald.ca/Business/1263610.html

I LOVE the rendering of the Waterside building! It will be a nice compliment for 1801 Hollis.

The suburbs 'losing ground'? LOL. That just made my day! Even people living in the suburbs will admit this title is misleading: the suburbs of Halifax are doing very well (as always)--even with this renewed focus on the downtown.

someone123
Sep 17, 2011, 4:36 PM
I always find it a little silly how the media and real estate market analysts draw wide conclusions from what are actually only a couple of small, frequently unrelated events. For example, one quarter we might have a new company open so there is positive absorption and the downtown is "turning around". The next quarter a company moves to the suburbs or builds a new office building and the Detroit-style articles start up again. Maybe some of the blame rests on the journalists who try to come up with dramatic sounding articles in a small city that tends to move slowly.

There was a particularly bad one in ANS recently about how the increase in apartment construction starts lately must be related to the lack of full time job creation, since part time earners can't afford houses, or something. What a tenuous connection!

Jonovision
Sep 18, 2011, 1:34 PM
Viva la downtown!

Credit: notme2000 on flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6187/6153829427_5420d9429b_b.jpg

I love this! It's slowly starting to spread all over Barrington!

I took these a day or two after the first set went up.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/313335_764394116849_94807507_39444956_1940493_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/313250_764394436209_94807507_39444958_694721_n.jpg

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/302130_764397599869_94807507_39445083_3172027_n.jpg

The discovery centre has also added some new LED sporadic coloured down lighting on the Barrington Street facade.

Keith P.
Sep 18, 2011, 1:56 PM
What are these things? They look like artifacts of a 1970's video game.

Jstaleness
Sep 18, 2011, 2:01 PM
I see some Mario Bros. Looks like a Tetris as well.

halifaxboyns
Sep 18, 2011, 8:07 PM
That is awesome. Had me humming the mario cart music all morning!

coolmillion
Sep 19, 2011, 12:09 AM
These post-it note designs are popping up in office windows all over. But unlike other trends, we're not years behind:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2011/aug/30/paris-post-it-wars-french

Jonovision
Sep 19, 2011, 12:27 PM
I saw Kirby and Zelda in Maritime Centre yesterday.

halifaxboyns
Sep 20, 2011, 2:34 PM
Developer rethinks north-end plans
Talking to architects on uses for Agricola site

Tue, Sep 20 - 4:54 AM
A developer who pulled the plug earlier this year on a $20-million project once slated for north-end Halifax is mulling over the idea of building luxury apartments on the large site that’s now home to a liquor store.

Ontario developer Rick Tomulka had planned to build 110 apartments and about 1,858 square metres of commercial space at the Agricola Street location now occupied by the Nova Scotia Liquor Corp. But he scrapped those plans earlier this year, which involved an eight- to 10-storey complex.

"We’re not doing that plan," Tomulka said Monday in a telephone interview from Toronto.

"There were just too many hurdles to go through."

Tomulka said he’s not planning to sell the site, which covers more than half a hectare.

"It’s underutilized. That’s why we’re looking at different scenarios on it right now."

That area of the city is improving, he said.

"If we can get a nice plan on there, it will improve it even more."

Tomulka said he’s talked to city officials about different possibilities for the land and has architects working on various designs.

"I’m evaluating the whole site right now with architects . . . and we’re just trying to get some ideas and some feedback from the city to see what we should be doing there. I think our plan with (Halifax architect Richard) Kassner was maybe too large."

Kassner, of Kassner/Goodspeed Architects Ltd., said he hasn’t had any dealing with Tomulka since the spring.

"He called me and said, ‘I’m going to pull the plug,’ " Kassner said Monday. "We haven’t heard from him since."

If the Irving-owned Halifax Shipyard wins one of two contracts in the offing for billions of dollars in federal government shipbuilding work, predicted to provide up to 4,000 direct jobs in Nova Scotia over 30 years, Tomulka indicated the prospect of building new luxury apartments on Agricola could brighten.

"I think Halifax, if they get all those new jobs they’re talking about, the area’s only going to get better," he said.

"There’s going to be a demand for better-quality apartments. That’s why there’s a lot of stuff being built. You need to replenish with better up-to-date units. Give the tenants a modern building instead of the older housing stock."

But Tomulka said his plans don’t hang on a Halifax win on the shipyard contract.

"We’re going to go ahead with something regardless. Even if you put a shovel in the ground, it’s going to take you two years to do anything."

The liquor corporation likely wants to stay at that location, he said.

"We have a whole slew of other tenants that are interested in going in there if we do something. So I don’t think it’s a problem finding tenants for that location."

The site would be suitable for a mixed-use development that combined rental accommodations and commercial space, he said.

"I don’t think it’s a condo site, personally. I don’t think you can get the value out of it with a condo."

City spokeswoman Shaune MacKinlay said zoning on the land is residential on the Maynard Street side and commercial on Agricola.

The developer could apply to subdivide the land on Maynard and build up to four units on each 8,000-square-foot lot with a minimum frontage of 80 feet, MacKinlay said in an email.

Rest of the story is here (http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Business/1264147.html).

To say I'm disappointed is at minimum...yet again another opportunity wasted.

beyeas
Sep 20, 2011, 4:05 PM
:previous:What I would love to know is what the "hurdles" were to developing the proposed structure on that site? Given how often HT has said tall buildings could go there rather than downtown I will pissed if it is that it was going to be fought on the basis of height.

I have a feeling he probably just means that he simply didn't want to have to go through the re-zoning process at all, and now just wants to build something short and stubby that is within the 50 foot limit.

Frustrating, but on the other hand, there were actually a lot of very positive articles in the CH today, for example...

A great one on King's Wharf:
http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Business/1264028.html

Estonia wanting to run their shipping lane between Tallinn and Halifax:
http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Business/1264186.html

And a defence firm moving their headquarters to Halifax:
http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Business/1264107.html

halifaxboyns
Sep 20, 2011, 4:42 PM
I would guess that because he would've had to do a development agreement, he was a bit edgy. The way the system works is if there is a height precinct in the area (which there is - 50 feet); anyone wanting over that height would have to apply for a DA and go through a public hearing. A DA is required whenever you go outside of the as of right process.

My problem is that there seems to be more of a push to make things fall outside of the as of right process; then through a simple permit. It's the same problem here in Calgary. We use development control; which is different than zoning. You still have some uses that are as of right (permitted uses); but a lot of stuff falls into the discretionary use category - which means that even if you meet the rules; we could still say no if the context is not appropriate. I've mentioned this before but new houses in the inner city are discretionary (for the most part) because of the desire to have the best quality homes in these areas. All apartment buildings typically fall into discretionary too.

I think I get why the city wants that (in HRM's case) - because they can then require things like a wind study; traffic study, etc. But if that's part of the reason to make these types of development go through a DA; that can be addressed through the LUB requirements. If HbD can allow things to go through an as of right process; surely other areas can with some tweeks.

If I look at my vision for Agricola (which I know I preach a lot); the zoning system would allow as of right development of mixed use buildings with height ranges depending on the bonusing style of HbD. So your minimum height might start at something more like 100'; but beyond that you have to do certain things to get more height. Granted, I'd want to see a streetcar along Agricola so proposing massive buildings there would be to get people close to transit!

someone123
Sep 20, 2011, 4:50 PM
The problem with the HT saying tall buildings are fine elsewhere is that they're not the only anti-development group in the city. Maybe they don't care about Agricola but another group might -- consider the proposed apartment building on Windsor Street, for example. If all anti-development groups were satisfied there would never be any development anywhere.

I have always thought that the low as of right height limit hurts the quality of new development. There are not many controls other than height limits, rules about setbacks, etc. (all designed to reduce density) so basically a new building can be as cheap and ugly as desired as long as it is structurally sound and not too tall.

Another silly consequence of setting height limits in feet seems to be that developers squeeze in as many floors and possible. Each floor ends up being short and looking low-slung. I think the height limit in feet under the viewplane is why we have buildings like Bishop's Landing or Salters Gate with dysfunctional below-grade ground floors that feel closed and private.

Most great heritage commercial buildings have very high ceilings and nice big windows on the ground floor. There are probably many 3-4 storey heritage buildings that are as tall as 5 or 6 storey modern buildings.

Keith P.
Sep 20, 2011, 10:20 PM
I don't think the HT had anything to do with this. As you can see from Kassner's comments, the owner is simply not very engaged - a true absentee landlord - and either lost interest or was discouraged by the reaction. I hear that NSLC was unimpressed by what was set aside for them and there were rumors that they had not been talked to by the developer prior to the concept being released. Hence my prediction they were simply going to walk away from the site.

Dmajackson
Sep 21, 2011, 7:22 PM
NEW PROPOSAL TIME! :)

WM Fares Group has submitted plans for a 43-unit residential building on the north side of Windsor Street at the Connolly Street intersection. The lot is currently vacant (surface parking) and is in a row of duplexes and small apartment buildings. This is a stone's throw away from the Connaught Avenue intersection on Strawberry Hill.

Case 17108 Details (http://www.halifax.ca/planning/Case17108Details.html)

Public Information Meeting for this tonight.

September 21st, 2011 - 7pm - Bloomfield School

Dmajackson
Sep 23, 2011, 9:20 PM
According to an article in the AllNovaScotia tonight there are redevelopment plans for 6100 Younge Street (West-End Halifax). This site is currently owned by the municipality and it houses a strip mall housing, among others, Pizza Hut. The site is 2.5 acres and is part of the former Forum lands. It used to house a horse racing track.

Plans for the site are vague but the article states low-rise residential housing ground-floor commercial with some high-rise residential. Since the site is municipally owned the development would have to be approved by Regional Council along with a purchase agreement. The developer is Webcom Inc. and the architect is Paul Skerry & Associates (Halifax-based). This team is behind the approved building for 249 Windmill Road.

Of course as with any vague development there is a divide among councilors. Being the most vocal of all twenty-three Sloane has stated she is opposed because the land could be used for a future Forum expansion. Interestingly (but not suprising if you know her) Watts has some hesitance but thinks getting more residential in this area is a good idea.

Public Information Meeting - Case 17256
Wed, 5 October, 19:00 – 21:00
7071 Bayers Road, Halifax, NS (HRM Planning Services, Bayers Road Centre - Suite 2005 - Meeting Rooms 1, 2, & 3)

Case 17256 - Application by 215 Pembroke Street East Ltd. to amend the Halifax Peninsula Land Use By-law (Schedule "Q") to allow for a mixed-use development at 6100 Young Street, Halifax by development agreement.

No link available yet.

Empire
Sep 23, 2011, 11:03 PM
Public Information Meeting - Case 17256
Wed, 5 October, 19:00 – 21:00
7071 Bayers Road, Halifax, NS (HRM Planning Services, Bayers Road Centre - Suite 2005 - Meeting Rooms 1, 2, & 3)

Case 17256 - Application by 215 Pembroke Street East Ltd. to amend the Halifax Peninsula Land Use By-law (Schedule "Q") to allow for a mixed-use development at 6100 Young Street, Halifax by development agreement.

No link available yet.

This is ideal. This area of the city should be an oasis for developers, far from the prying eye of the STV.

RyeJay
Sep 24, 2011, 2:11 AM
Russians move to bolster Arctic forces
CBC - September 23, 2001

Just days after Gen. Walt Natynczyk, Canada’s chief of defence staff, left Moscow after meeting his counterpart last weekend, a Russian official announced that the country would be increasing its Arctic military presence, a move that could increase tensions in the resource-rich area.

Anton Vasilev, a special ambassador for Russia's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, was quoted this week by the Interfax news agency as saying his country would be beefing up its presence in the Arctic, and that NATO was not welcome there.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/russians-move-bolster-arctic-forces-161815931.html

Now, does anyone think this help's B.C.'s case for the shipbuilding deal?

Jonovision
Sep 25, 2011, 2:55 AM
The Salvation Army building on Gottingen is being reclad. Will try to get some pictures this week.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=gottingen+street&hl=en&ll=44.651069,-63.581938&spn=0.002068,0.004823&t=h&z=18&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=44.651069,-63.581938&panoid=BL02tk1iLo4c3_Qxein5VA&cbp=12,257.22,,0,-5.31

And I only noticed this the other day but this apartment building on South had its balconies replaced with glass. It seems it was happening while google was taking its street view pictures. Makes the building look much better in my opinion.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=gottingen+street&hl=en&ll=44.637998,-63.578525&spn=0.002069,0.004823&t=h&z=18&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=44.637933,-63.5788&panoid=OAKprX0df5LJWLmq9RAwnA&cbp=12,240.12,,0,-12.11

kph06
Sep 26, 2011, 10:29 PM
There is now a fence up around the former Blockbuster/Little Caesars/Koolex Kleaners building on Queen street. I think it was reported a while ago that a larger Needs was moving in here, and that the former building would be turned into a Sobey's gas bar.

Nifta
Sep 26, 2011, 11:17 PM
I saw Kirby and Zelda in Maritime Centre yesterday.

That's the office where I work :) Longtail Studios - we develop videogames, so couldn't be left out of this trend!

Dmajackson
Sep 29, 2011, 2:21 AM
Fellow forumer Pete Pollley has unveiled plans for a new development in North Downtown ;

There are no renderings available right now but he is applying for a building permit for a 6-storey residential building at the corner of Roberts & Maynard Streets. This is near the new office building on Agricola Street and a block away from the West Street Fire Station. The development is simply called "Q" and should start construction in December. There will be 72-units of one-bedroom and one-bedroom-and-den style.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5190/5591065280_2cbe8fbc7c_z.jpg
Photo by me back in the winter.

Empire
Sep 29, 2011, 4:34 AM
Fellow forumer Pete Pollley has unveiled plans for a new development in North Downtown ;

There are no renderings available right now but he is applying for a building permit for a 6-storey residential building at the corner of Roberts & Maynard Streets. This is near the new office building on Agricola Street and a block away from the West Street Fire Station. The development is simply called "Q" and should start construction in December. There will be 72-units of one-bedroom and one-bedroom-and-den style.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5190/5591065280_2cbe8fbc7c_z.jpg
Photo by me back in the winter.

Let's hope for a really good looking proposal with quality materials................

someone123
Sep 29, 2011, 5:59 AM
Let's hope for a really good looking proposal with quality materials................

ANS was reporting that Michael Napier is the architect for the project (same as Spice). His past projects like W Suites and the building by the Hydrostone are quite good. A project of similar quality would be a huge asset to the neighbourhood.

Seems like the North End is really taking off. It has enormous potential.

Jstaleness
Sep 29, 2011, 1:17 PM
This may be a good time to buy property in the North End. It looks as though in a few years the values are going to go up because of all the new developments.

haligonia
Sep 29, 2011, 7:33 PM
Knowing Michael Napier is the architect should at least mean that the project is interesting. I do worry though that the project could be built with cheap materials. (Like Theatre Lofts. Interesting, but cheap.)

Aya_Akai
Sep 30, 2011, 6:00 AM
I wasn't entirely sure the exact spot to put this in, or if anyone has mentioned it anywhere else, but I was down on the waterfront on Tuesday afternoon and I noticed that they're completely gutting out the former BioScience building on Lower Water Street.

kph06
Sep 30, 2011, 6:32 AM
Allnovascotia ran an article tonight about the Queen Street Sobeys - for now the Blockbuster will be torn down to make way for parking for Sobeys' staff, the needs will be torn down for more customer parking. A new Needs store and gas bar will be built on the Green/Queen corner vacant lot. Nobody within the organization would comment on the greater redevelopment concept for the area. The addition of parking seemed to be just a "for now" thing.

mcmcclassic
Sep 30, 2011, 3:47 PM
I wasn't sure if we had a thread for the west end mall / that area, so I'll put this article here for now.

Eurofax has big plans for former Bay building

Add three more storeys to the edifice best known as the former home of the Bay in Halifax and then rename the building.

That is the plan the new owner, Eurofax Properties, has for the former Bay building on Chebucto Road. The building is next to the West End Mall.

http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Business/1265878.html

JET
Sep 30, 2011, 6:25 PM
50:50 Vision of Halifax
"To celebrate its fiftieth anniversary, Dalhousie's Faculty of Architecture and Planning invites you to imagine Halifax 50 years from now."
http://architectureandplanning.dal.ca/alumni/5050.shtml

someone123
Sep 30, 2011, 7:26 PM
Allnovascotia ran an article tonight about the Queen Street Sobeys - for now the Blockbuster will be torn down to make way for parking for Sobeys' staff, the needs will be torn down for more customer parking. A new Needs store and gas bar will be built on the Green/Queen corner vacant lot. Nobody within the organization would comment on the greater redevelopment concept for the area. The addition of parking seemed to be just a "for now" thing.

I saw that -- very interesting. I hope they really do have a serious redevelopment planned, because the area can support so much more than strip malls. It would be far better to have a more urban format grocery store with parking below and apartments or condos above (great for both residents and the grocery store). These are becoming common in many other cities.

pblaauw
Oct 1, 2011, 7:09 PM
Looks like there's a new project in the works. The name doesn't roll off the tongue very well, but I like the fact it pays tribute to a rather important part of Halifax history.

The Vincent Coleman (http://thevc.ca/)

someone123
Oct 1, 2011, 7:13 PM
Looks like there's a new project in the works. The name doesn't roll off the tongue very well, but I like the fact it pays tribute to a rather important part of Halifax history.

Actually that is 6955 Bayers Road, which is already more or less complete.

RyeJay
Oct 1, 2011, 9:13 PM
I saw that -- very interesting. I hope they really do have a serious redevelopment planned, because the area can support so much more than strip malls. It would be far better to have a more urban format grocery store with parking below and apartments or condos above (great for both residents and the grocery store). These are becoming common in many other cities.

I completely agree. It will be a missed opportunity if only strip malls remain. Fenwick's renovation will be followed by additional towers (though I'm not sure of the height nor exact locations), by the same developer. The population of this area will be steadily growing; an area that is already relatively compact. It's closeness to both downtown and Point Pleasant Park make it very desirable. The ground-floor retail that will be established in the renovated Fenwick will bring a lot of walking traffic as well.

worldlyhaligonian
Oct 2, 2011, 7:58 PM

They listened to me! I mentioned making that top middle section, that almost resembles a chimney (elevator?), solid cladding instead of the clashing glass design from an earlier rendering.

This actually looks half decent now... and I saw they planted shrubs to hide the blank concrete wall for the parking garage. Still, 16 stories would have been better. Lets hope this developer does something taller for their next development.

http://thevc.ca/img/mm_home.jpg

planarchy
Oct 4, 2011, 10:44 AM
Loads of interest in Perks site
Quinpool Road location draws more calls than property management firm needs
By CHRIS LAMBIE Business Editor
Tue, Oct 4 - 6:17 AM
There was so much interest in taking over a key piece of Quinpool Road real estate, the property management firm has taken down the sign.

Perks Coffee Ltd. moved out of the key location at the intersection of Vernon Street at the end of August when the small local chain quietly shut down.

"There were staggering amounts of interest in the space," Adrian Cowling of ASL Management said Monday.

The windows are still papered over, but Cowling recently took the For Lease sign down due to the number of inquiries it was generating.

"I don’t want any more calls," he said. "I couldn’t get anything else done. . . . It was constant — from tire-kickers to people who were actually interested."

The location’s high visibility, proximity to the Willow Tree intersection and having its own parking spots are among its assets, he said.

"It’s one of the best locations on Quinpool, if not the best," Cowling said of the building owned by the Kioussis family, which once ran a shoe repair shop out of the location.

The 1,000-square foot space isn’t leased yet. Cowling’s asking for $35 a square foot net and he thinks he’ll get it.

"We don’t have a deal yet, but we’re working on that now. I expect in the next couple of weeks we’ll be finalizing something."

Merchants on the street have heard Starbucks Coffee Co. could be moving in. But Cowling wouldn’t comment on the possibility. Officials from the coffee chain couldn’t be reached for comment.

"I can’t say anything until I’ve got it signed, sealed and delivered," Cowling said.

At nearby Cyclesmith, they like the idea of a Starbucks setting up across the street.

"That’s the same rumour we heard, but as far as I know, it’s just a rumour," said Michael Harvie, who works at the bike shop.

There’s a certain symbiosis with high-end coffee and bicycles, he said, noting the Italian and French connections.

Harvie, who admits to being "kind of a coffee snob," said having a Starbucks nearby should improve the bike business.

"It definitely would."

He pointed out that lot of cyclists frequent Dartmouth’s Two if by Sea Cafe, the Founders Square outfit that opened in 2009.

"Then you saw a shop (named The Bike Pedaler) open up close to it shortly thereafter," he said.

Quinpool business owners will meet Thursday to promote the idea of bringing more diversity to the strip now lined with eateries.

"I’d like to get some retailers in on the street," said Karla Nicholson, general manager of the Quinpool Road Mainstreet District Association.

"It’s hard because when you have a business set up for a restaurant, the automatic assumption is that another restaurant will move in."

Waye Mason
Oct 4, 2011, 11:09 AM
I'm pretty sure the building owner and shoe repair guy lives with his wife in the apartment above the place, I still see him around, though not recently. He was an amazing, skilled master with a piece of leather.... I almost wish he would re-open the shoe repair place! :)

-Harlington-
Oct 4, 2011, 9:33 PM
I dont know if this has been mentioned before but Palooka boxing gym is going up for sale
I remember seeing it on the news but forgot about it .

Dmajackson
Oct 4, 2011, 11:42 PM
The rezoning for a four-storey apartment building at 222 Portland Street was approved by Regional council tonight. I believe this still needs final approval from HECC later this fall. Nobody showed up for the public hearing.

http://www.halifax.ca/Council/agendasc/documents/111004ca91.pdf

JET
Oct 5, 2011, 12:14 PM
The rezoning for a four-storey apartment building at 222 Portland Street was approved by Regional council tonight. I believe this still needs final approval from HECC later this fall. Nobody showed up for the public hearing.

It would be hard to imagine anyone being against this, the renderings look good, and that corner has gone progressively downhill. It would be nice if something was developed where the old Value Village was located. Another waste of space.

Empire
Oct 5, 2011, 12:27 PM

This building has the potential to be an aesthetic disaster.

JET
Oct 5, 2011, 5:33 PM
This building has the potential to be an aesthetic disaster.

please elucidate

Empire
Oct 5, 2011, 6:26 PM
please elucidate

The vinyl siding alone will ruin the appearance.

JET
Oct 5, 2011, 6:53 PM
while I'm not a fan of vinyl siding, there are a wide range of vinyl products. I've seen some vinyl stuff that looks remarkably like wood siding/shingles.
With this project, while they have some siding in a neutral tone, it will contrast with 'stucco or fibre cement siding/panels' in a charcoal tone.
My beef with vinyl siding is where a whole house/building is covered in beige siding without any contrast or detailing. Shouldn't be a problem here.

worldlyhaligonian
Oct 8, 2011, 7:18 PM
So another of my development prayers was answered. They are actually painting the ugly green window bays of the Cambridge Suites black. The green paint (copper patina fail) was in my opinion one of the ugliest things in HRM... and is now gone. Brick with black looks much better. The building is still crap, but at least its less shitty.

fenwick16
Oct 8, 2011, 8:04 PM
So another of my development prayers was answered. They are actually painting the ugly green window bays of the Cambridge Suites black. The green paint (copper patina fail) was in my opinion one of the ugliest things in HRM... and is now gone. Brick with black looks much better. The building is still crap, but at least its less shitty.

Good news - could someone get a picture?

someone123
Oct 8, 2011, 10:30 PM

I agree about that style. The strip mall-style building is also really inappropriate for that part of the city.

worldlyhaligonian
Oct 9, 2011, 2:34 PM
I agree about that style. The strip mall-style building is also really inappropriate for that part of the city.

Lol, and the use of fake gables on some of these buildings is brutal... I believe you've mentioned that before.

Fenwick - I wasn't able to take a pic, but I'm sure DJ will be around town and snap one for you.

kph06
Oct 9, 2011, 7:16 PM
Photos of the re-painting by me:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6093/6226859743_bcb76c9a8a_b.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6172/6227379694_6435ee0ae5_b.jpg

fenwick16
Oct 9, 2011, 7:19 PM
Thanks for the pictures. It looks so much better with the black paint. The green always stood like like a sore thumb (in my opinion).

The building actually looks quite good now.

RyeJay
Oct 10, 2011, 3:39 AM
:tup: Looks much better!

ScovaNotian
Oct 10, 2011, 4:33 PM
Have the conceptual designs for the Cunard block been posted here? They seem to have been around for a couple of months, but I don't recall having seen them: https://my-waterfront.ca/cunard/index.php

Keith P.
Oct 11, 2011, 1:46 AM
I remember seeing these previously, so they were mentioned here somewhere before.

Neither one impresses me much in their present form.