PDA

View Full Version : General Updates and News

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118

Dmajackson
Jan 16, 2011, 2:21 PM
Sorry about the darkness but heres a photo of Agricola@West;

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5081/5358716371_fcea205d46_z.jpg

Jstaleness
Jan 16, 2011, 4:48 PM
That's coming along nicely. I don't think they have a huge crew doing the work.

someone123
Jan 17, 2011, 4:35 AM
An article in ANS today talked about Starfish owning the recently-sold CD Plus building on Barrington and plans for a new 6 or 7 storey building.

Sounds great although I hope it is residential, not office, and that it gets built sooner rather than later. Most of the vacant storefronts on Barrington are in buildings that Starfish plans to redevelop.

JustinMacD
Jan 17, 2011, 2:06 PM
An article in ANS today talked about Starfish owning the recently-sold CD Plus building on Barrington and plans for a new 6 or 7 storey building.

Sounds great although I hope it is residential, not office, and that it gets built sooner rather than later. Most of the vacant storefronts on Barrington are in buildings that Starfish plans to redevelop.

I agree. Residential all the way. Thanks for the update.

halifaxboyns
Jan 17, 2011, 7:10 PM
I agree. Residential all the way. Thanks for the update.

Build it as tall as possible - since that's right next door to the heritage trust. :tup:

alps
Jan 17, 2011, 9:25 PM
Business as usual: Subsidizing suburban sprawl
Heated debate about puny skating oval costs; no debate about millions for suburban highways.
POSTED BY TIM BOUSQUET ON MON, JAN 17, 2011 AT 3:17 PM

As the city wrangles with the question of whether it should subsidize the cost of operating the Common skating oval at an annual estimated cost of between $110,000 and $250,000, Halifax council is poised to blithely, unthinkingly, OK the expenditure of $2.8 million to subsidize suburban sprawl in Bedford, and an as-yet untold millions more to improve car access into the suburban Bayers Lake shopping district.

Tuesday, council will deal with two budget issues related to suburban sprawl. The first involves the new Larry Uteck Boulevard interchange on the Bicentennial Highway, which is designed to handle traffic generated by new subdivisions being built in Bedford West (roughly, the land between the BiHi, Hammond Plains Road and Kearney Lake Road) and Bedford South (roughly, the land between Oceanview Drive, the Bedford Highway, Larry Uteck Boulevard and the BiHi). Council is being asked to tweak the financing formula for the interchange, with total costs pegged at $10,332,771.

Only in 2002 did the city begin to ask for authority to offset some new roadway costs by charging subdivision developers some of the costs associated with the new roads; those charges—known as "capital cost contributions"—began to be collected in 2006.

Arguably, because we wouldn't need the new Larry Uteck interchange if Bedford West and Bedford South weren't being developed, the city should simply charge the developers for the entire cost of the interchange and leave it at that. But, explains Peter Duncan, the city's manager for infrastructure planning, the city is prohibited by the city charter from charging the full costs of the new interchange to the developers; instead, the city has had to complete a traffic study and determine how many cars using the interchange will come from the new subdivisions and how many will come from existing neighbourhoods elsewhere in HRM, and then charge the developers only for the percentage their subdivisions will generate.

This is silly: the existing traffic from elsewhere in HRM is already using existing roads that have been bought and paid for; they might use the new interchange, but it will be by no means necessary to do so, as they're getting around just fine now without it.

There's another wrinkle thrown in as well: the costs for extending water, sewer and natural gas lines into the new subdivisions are charged to Halifax Water and Heritage Gas (more on this in a moment). In total, the budget for the new interchange looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/buhMK.png

The bottom line is that the city will pay $2,795.250 straight out of the general tax fund to pay for the new intersection that is required only for the new neighbourhoods—that is, it is a direct $2.8 million subsidy to facilitate suburban development.

Halifax Water's costs

A letter from 2009 included in the council paperwork for this week says that the then-anticipated $900,000 costs to Halifax Water for the interchange will come from another, second, CCC arrangement with the developers. But it's unclear whether the increased costs—$700,000 additionally, bringing total costs to about $1.6 million—will simply be tacked on to that CCC or will come from ratepayers generally. As of this writing, Halifax Water managers haven't responded to my requests for more information on how they intend to recover their portion of the Larry Uteck costs. But it is precisely these sorts of suburban costs that led many to oppose Halifax Water's recent application for a rate increase—the argument was that Halifax Water was paying for new suburban construction by saddling existing water customers in the urban core with higher rates.

Washmill underpass

A second highway project is also coming before council this week—discussion of unexpected cost overruns for the Washmill Lake Court underpass beneath the BiHi, connecting Clayton Park to the Bayers Lake Industrial Park.

The city budgeted $10 million for the project through the economic stimulus program of 2009. The money was split evenly three ways between the city, provincial and federal governments, and the work was to be completed by March 31, 2011.

Fortunately for the city, because so many economic stimulus projects are running behind schedule, the federal government has rolled back the required completion date to October 31, 2011. Washmill Court is one of those projects; says a cryptic note in the paperwork: "Original $10M budget has been spent. Project can be completed in 2011 pending budget availability and Council approval."

Presumably, the entire cost overrun on this project will come out of the city's general budget—that is, once again we will be subsidizing suburban development.

How much? We don't know—the report to council on the Washmill Court cost overrun consists of a staff presentation to be given to councillors in secret at tomorrow's meeting. There is no justification given for the secrecy, and city staffers aren't returning my phone calls related to the issue.

There's no conceivable justification for the secrecy around Washmill Court. But since the continued subsidy of suburban development is pretty much a non-issue, we may as well not say anything about this example of it either, I guess.

But boy howdy, let's watch the sparks fly when someone suggests spending some chump change on the skating oval, which might help the downtown.
http://www.thecoast.ca/RealityBites/archives/2011/01/17/business-as-usual-subsidizing-suburban-sprawl

halifaxboyns
Jan 17, 2011, 10:53 PM
This is what happens when a city focuses its growth through suburban development and not trying to push inner city densification to be much greater than it is.

Yes, I realize that emergency rooms would be flooded with people having heart attacks over all the projects for 10 storey towers all over the place; but still - if HRM had pushed inner city projects from 25% to 40% (and reduced the suburban development portion appropriately); this may not be such a big deal.

worldlyhaligonian
Jan 17, 2011, 11:58 PM
Meh, we are going to need this infrastructure regardless. This Tim guy is out to lunch.

worldlyhaligonian
Jan 17, 2011, 11:58 PM
Plus this guy was/is against the Nova Centre... which will actually bring people downtown.

halifaxboyns
Jan 18, 2011, 2:33 AM
Plus this guy was/is against the Nova Centre... which will actually bring people downtown.

I hate to say it, but I actually agree with Tim to a degree.
We're going through the same argument out here; which was on global news tonight. Mayor Nenshi ran on a platform that he wanted a better formula because out here, we (the city) pays for all the utility hookups and infrastructure; so as mayor nenshi points out - the cost to hook up one house will never be fully recovered over the taxation of that home for 30 years because the cumulative cost for the entire subdivision can be so intense.

Personally, I honestly don't know enough about the formulas out here to be able to say it should 50/50 or 25/75 (to the developer); same with Halifax. But certainly with higher density development - you probably wouldn't see as much being spent in the burbs for infrastructure. But this issue will come up more and more as growth is dealt with by suburban development.

alps
Jan 18, 2011, 4:31 AM
Eh, I agree with Bousquet on this one. TBH I don't think either of those projects were necessary at this time, and could think of a zillion ways the money could be better spent (or not).

someone123
Jan 18, 2011, 4:48 AM
Eh, I agree with Bousquet on this one. TBH I don't think either of those projects were necessary at this time, and could think of a zillion ways the money could be better spent (or not).

I can also think of many ways the money could be better spent but I'm not sure that's a useful comparison when the three levels of government are incapable or unwilling to undertake a wide variety of projects. They're also inept when it comes to setting good economic policies for the downtown.

Dmajackson
Jan 18, 2011, 5:23 AM
How did Bosque forget to mention the new Margeson Drive Interchange? If any of the three are pointless it is that one.

worldlyhaligonian
Jan 18, 2011, 7:05 AM
Good point.

Also, Washmill serves to reduce sprawl to an extent... its a connection between BL and CP and is to include a REAL sidewalk. Its within the current boundaries of the city and is quite close to Halifax.

worldlyhaligonian
Jan 18, 2011, 7:07 AM
This guy is against development downtown and against development in the burbs = anti development period.

DigitalNinja
Jan 18, 2011, 12:37 PM
Problem with saying you're against infrastructure improvements is that everyone is against them if there is no benefit to them directly. For example I live by the new margeson drive one. To me it is needed, have you not seen the traffic going out to middle/upper sackville during rush hour? Takes about 10-15 min to turn left at a light.

halifaxboyns
Jan 18, 2011, 4:44 PM
While WH makes a point about Tim - in this case (for me) you have to look beyond the writter to see the bigger picture. Essentially all the older developed parts of HRM are subsidizing the newer suburban communities of HRM and this is no different in any growing city I suspect. I know it's a huge problem here in Calgary - the only difference seems to be (and I'm going back to a comment DMJ posted in the Bedford West thread) that most of the new subdivisions seem to be hitting the minimum service threshold for public transit; where as in places like out here in Calgary they aren't.

I'd like to see a real un-biased study done to see just how much is being spent - I am sure it would be an eye opener.

beyeas
Jan 18, 2011, 5:27 PM
Problem with saying you're against infrastructure improvements is that everyone is against them if there is no benefit to them directly. For example I live by the new margeson drive one. To me it is needed, have you not seen the traffic going out to middle/upper sackville during rush hour? Takes about 10-15 min to turn left at a light.

Let me play devil's advocate though...

Is that not simply saying that infrastructure is needed because a poor planning process created a sprawl that now requires more and more tax dollars to deal with? New roads and interchanges have become "needed" because of a process and structure that not only allowed but encouraged sprawl to those regions to begin with.

I am loathe to agree with Tim Bousqet, and in fact think that the guy doesn't know what is really for or against because it makes no logical sense to be against densification and against sprawl.

But having said that, the immediate point is that a massive financial burden has been placed on this city's tax revenue to subsidize the infrastructure required to service these sprawling regions and to address things like 15 minute wait times at intersections. If we had rules and tax laws in place that incentivized densification within the core, not only would we not have these 15 minute left hand turn times, but the city would be way better off financially and/or property taxes would be lower as a whole.

The fact is, any system that allows you to build a McMansion in the 'burbs and pay less tax specifically because you live in a region that is far more expensive to service is fundamentally broken.

I have no problem with property taxes being upshifted to higher incomes, but I do have a major problem with my taxes going to subsidize new interchanges so that someone can knock 2 minutes off their commute time as they drive their Hummer out to their McMansion. That is just a poor use of tax dollars.

I am all for infrastructure that is needed, even if it is not something that I use myself, but I just don't think that the fact that sprawl exists is a justification for putting further tax money into making it even easier to drive out to the sprawling regions, thereby further perpetuating the sprawl.

PS: I do want to say that is NOT aimed at you DigitalNinja, especially since I know from your previous posts that you are all for high density developments that have been proposed... but just at the overall issue of sprawl in this city.

DigitalNinja
Jan 18, 2011, 6:40 PM
IMO what we are discussing is the past, what is done is done, there is sprawl everywhere in HRM. What should be done is to put a limitation on urban sprawl limiting the number of permits issued for dwellings and put out incentives to increase density downtown.

Bayers lake is the worst example of sprawl in Halifax, it is the worst place to drive around and impossible to get a bus out there, it takes about 2 hours from sackville on a good day. That is something that shouldn't happen when I can drive there in 15 minutes. Mind you once you get in they don't facilitate walking so you have to drive from store to store and so on. As I said, what is done is done, this money spent is spent on fixing mistakes but the problem is that these mistakes are being repeated with bedford west etc... Tokyo is an example of how you can get high density with relatively low rise buildings. Mind you Halifax doesn't need to be this extreme but just pointing out that the possibility is there.

My girlfriend is Chinese, when she came here she was surprised that grocery stores take up so much valuable real estate, a store in China for produce can be 2-3 floors high maximizing available land. But this doesn't happen here. It is honestly part of NA/Canada though. This urban sprawl doesn't happen in the rest of the world where they have a larger population and less land, we have to much land that it becomes cheap to buy the land, so people just build low rise low density buildings. Problem with this is that it is not cheap in the long run, roads and infrastructure become high costs and a burden on the rest of the city. High rise have high startup costs but no where near the long term infrastructure costs.

beyeas
Jan 18, 2011, 7:07 PM
yeah I totally agree that BLIP and DC are the absolute epitome of sprawl.

As far as grocery stores go... I have always also loved the model in some European cities where the grocery stores are smaller, located generally at the street level of a mid-rise residential building, and serves its immediate neighbourhood. It is so easy in those places to just walk to the store and pick things up, or just to pick up fresh groceries on the way home. It is so much more "neighbourhood oriented" than the huge 1 level stores that we have to drive to and pick up a weeks worth of stuff to make it worth it.

DigitalNinja
Jan 18, 2011, 7:20 PM
Yupp... Makes us the odd ones, every other country besides ones in NA are more community oriented, but over here its everyman for himself, cars are the dominant creatures.
I know me comparing Halifax to cities in China is like comparing apples to oranges, but when I was in China I like it a lot better staying there then here, everything was so close and convenient, you could walk home with your groceries, walk out the door and find 10 good restaurants just such a nice community.

I think that when Halifax starts to densitify, housing needs to be provided for not only the rich but also the middle class a family that would go out and buy a 2-3 br house for 250g should be able to buy a condo with 2-3 br downtown for that amount as well.

halifaxboyns
Jan 18, 2011, 8:14 PM
Yupp... Makes us the odd ones, every other country besides ones in NA are more community oriented, but over here its everyman for himself, cars are the dominant creatures.
I know me comparing Halifax to cities in China is like comparing apples to oranges, but when I was in China I like it a lot better staying there then here, everything was so close and convenient, you could walk home with your groceries, walk out the door and find 10 good restaurants just such a nice community.

I think that when Halifax starts to densitify, housing needs to be provided for not only the rich but also the middle class a family that would go out and buy a 2-3 br house for 250g should be able to buy a condo with 2-3 br downtown for that amount as well.

One thing I noticed on my last visit to Vancouver was that there were a bunch of IGA's all around downtown Vancouver that were exactly what you mentioned earlier - community oriented, small sized, grocerry stores. They still had full produce and everything; just in a smaller space and they were all over downtown. On that particular trip I ended up staying at the Westin Grand and one was just up the road - it was great. I never paid for any meals at the hotel or restaurants, i cooked in my room. I guess the best way to equate them was they were like the urban sobeys in Edmonton (Fresh I think is the model?).

They are called IGA Marketplaces. This (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Vancouver,+BC&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=32.112971,67.587891&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Vancouver,+Greater+Vancouver+Regional+District,+British+Columbia&ll=49.279932,-123.117594&spn=0,0.006158&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=49.279991,-123.117686&panoid=ETcGeQ0jMSs4vIBmxaxAmw&cbp=12,49.47,,0,-7.94) is the one I was refering too.

DigitalNinja
Jan 18, 2011, 8:28 PM
Great to see these, lets hope that Halifax downtown can support one or two, would be nice for a "superstore marketplace" To replace the one on barrington.

Halifax Privateer
Jan 18, 2011, 8:41 PM
Kind of like .... Pete's Fruitique.

DigitalNinja
Jan 18, 2011, 8:43 PM
Except hopefully not as over priced.

Halifax Privateer
Jan 18, 2011, 8:54 PM
I've alway's thought a good bakerey(with real bagels), a deli, buthcher shop and fresh seafood would work.

alps
Jan 18, 2011, 9:39 PM
What do you folks think of a greenbelt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_belt)/growth boundary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_growth_boundary) for Halifax? Long Lake park, Blue Mountain, Terence Bay, and other protected areas around the city make for a good start.

DigitalNinja
Jan 18, 2011, 9:44 PM
Would be a good idea Alps, and then down the road once we reach an acceptable density they could start to expand out again.

halifaxboyns
Jan 18, 2011, 10:27 PM
What do you folks think of a greenbelt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_belt)/growth boundary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_growth_boundary) for Halifax? Long Lake park, Blue Mountain, Terence Bay, and other protected areas around the city make for a good start.

It's an interesting idea - but it raises a lot of questions. Like how do you compensate the land owners that would be affected by a freeze in development? I suspect you'd get a lot of push from developers and home builders against it.

But...you might get better reaction to an increase in density through the regional plan. Btw; with the city growing faster than expected, I'm guessing they will reopen the planner soon (start the work probably in 5 ot 7 years).

planarchy
Jan 18, 2011, 10:55 PM
My girlfriend is Chinese, when she came here she was surprised that grocery stores take up so much valuable real estate, a store in China for produce can be 2-3 floors high maximizing available land. But this doesn't happen here. It is honestly part of NA/Canada though. This urban sprawl doesn't happen in the rest of the world where they have a larger population and less land, we have to much land that it becomes cheap to buy the land, so people just build low rise low density buildings. Problem with this is that it is not cheap in the long run, roads and infrastructure become high costs and a burden on the rest of the city. High rise have high startup costs but no where near the long term infrastructure costs.

The problem is that, for the most part, real estate here isn't valuable. And your are right: large tracts of land are available for little money and current MPS and zoning regulations are of little use to get anything that is remotely coherent between parcels. In addition, developers are often only required to pay initial service infrastructure costs, while the major costs - maintenance and replacement are passed on to the municipality. Low densities make this an expensive trend where the most severe financial implications have yet to be felt.

But today Sprawl does happen everywhere. Not so much in China as the gov't is in control of all land, but even there you are starting to see issues with speculative development. In India and Vietnam, sprawl is encouraged through the creation of so-called "special economic zones" that allow foreign investors to do as they please.

Even in traditionally compact and heavily controlled regions like Holland, with a long history of centralized or national planning strategies, they are dealing with issues of sprawl as demand for box retail and individual housing ownership increases.

I don't know what the solution is, but certainly efficient public transit systems, incentives for urban infill and high intensity use of the land, perhaps taxing inefficient use of land, and, maybe most of all, getting away from this manufactured ideal of single family home ownership.

dmac26
Jan 18, 2011, 11:58 PM
There are many issues contributing to sprawl in Halifax-many of those reasons being political. One issue that always comes to mind for me is that HRM is just too large! From Hubbards to Ecum Secum is a little ridiculous. I just dont think there is a tax base outside the immediate city to provide adequate services that far. There already is a growth boundary in the planning strategy, they use inside the circ highway as the urban core but there certainly is no limitation on growth outside that boundary. We need densification.

I agree these new highways will alleviate traffic in and out of many urban areas such as Burnside and Bayers Lake but I would rather see that money put into more efficient transit.

Keith P.
Jan 19, 2011, 12:22 AM
Learned to day from allnovascotia.com that the former Carroll Pontiac site on the Bedford Highway will not become condos after all. It has been leased by Steele Chrysler and they will be moving their Kempt Rd. Chrysler store there. Their Subaru franchise will move from its current shared space with Audi further down Kempt and take over the space on the corner of Kempt and Livingstone.

DigitalNinja
Jan 19, 2011, 12:29 AM
It would be interesting if we could resurrect the HDC and do something to promote density in Halifax.

someone123
Jan 19, 2011, 2:33 AM
There are many issues contributing to sprawl in Halifax-many of those reasons being political. One issue that always comes to mind for me is that HRM is just too large! From Hubbards to Ecum Secum is a little ridiculous. I just dont think there is a tax base outside the immediate city to provide adequate services that far.

There's no guarantee of equal services for all of the HRM. By population those areas are also a very small part of the municipality -- two of 23 districts contain something like 5-10% of the population and over 50% of the land area. Basically I think people make far too much of a deal out of this.

A regional authority like the HRM is a requirement for suburban sprawl regulation. In metropolitan areas where there are many small municipalities there is a race to the bottom, as there was when Halifax first lured businesses that might have located in Dartmouth with Bayers Lake.

What do you folks think of a greenbelt/growth boundary for Halifax? Long Lake park, Blue Mountain, Terence Bay, and other protected areas around the city make for a good start.

Greenbelts are not a bad idea but it is very easy to bring in regulations that encourage leap frog sprawl even farther from the city. Halifax is already particularly bad for this, with suburbs way out in areas like Sackville but very little development just west and south of the peninsula.

Jstaleness
Jan 19, 2011, 2:46 AM
Learned to day from allnovascotia.com that the former Carroll Pontiac site on the Bedford Highway will not become condos after all. It has been leased by Steele Chrysler and they will be moving their Kempt Rd. Chrysler store there. Their Subaru franchise will move from its current shared space with Audi further down Kempt and take over the space on the corner of Kempt and Livingstone.

Too Bad. I never understood why the dealerships were there in the first place. A 4 lane hwy that's busy 85% of the day just seems like the wrong place. As a driver I have enjoyed having the center lane not blocked by cars turning left into that spot for the last 6 months. All good things come to an end.

someone123
Jan 19, 2011, 4:38 AM
ANS had a sad article about Spirit Place, the seven storey Windsor Street development. Sue Uteck complained about how churches expect the city to deal with the horror of seven storey buildings along semi-major traffic routes.

Some councillors went on about how HRM by Design does not permit height (wrong -- it depends, and some areas go up to 83 m) and so they should not permit a seven storey building in this area (which, as far as I know, is not included in the HbD area). I truly feel for the few sane people working for the HRM who have to deal with this stuff.

The authors also suggested that council almost sent the development back to the drawing board and then mentioned a 17-4 vote in favour of it moving forward..?

fenwick16
Jan 19, 2011, 11:39 AM
The authors also suggested that council almost sent the development back to the drawing board and then mentioned a 17-4 vote in favour of it moving forward..?

I notice that allnovascotia.com sometimes has story titles that seem to be contrary to the content of the story. In this case was the author trying to create a controversial story where one didn't really exist? Surely with a 17-4 vote in favour there must have been many positive statements that could have been quoted by the author.

Dmajackson
Jan 19, 2011, 12:49 PM
I notice that allnovascotia.com sometimes has story titles that seem to be contrary to the content of the story. In this case was the author trying to create a controversial story where one didn't really exist? Surely with a 17-4 vote in favour there must have been many positive statements that could have been quoted by the author.

There wasn't anything positive really.

When it comes to initiating projects councillors who are voting in favour normally remain quiet and just vote to end the discussion. Last night the only people who spoke were three that ultimately voted against it. It should be noted BTW that the councillor for the project (Watts) is a congregate of the church and as such did not vote on the matter.

Jonovision
Jan 21, 2011, 1:58 PM
Gallery eyes new building
No timeframe given on when feasibility study would begin Facility is largest art museum in Atlantic Canada It's home to province’s art collection and offers range of exhibitions and programs

METRO HALIFAX
Published: January 20, 2011 12:10 a.m.
Last modified: January 19, 2011 11:56 p.m.

A feasibility study will take place for the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia to find out the price tag and benefits of a new, larger facility.

The current location on Hollis Street in downtown Halifax isn’t big or structurally sound enough to host the amount of art that gallery staff would like to display, Ray Cronin, director and CEO of AGNS, said yesterday.

“The limitations have become more and more apparent,” he said.

“So the option we’d like to explore is a new building.”

Cronin said the gallery currently has 15,000 pieces of art but is only able to display about 300 pieces at a time.

Another problem the gallery faces, Cronin said, is that because the buildings are older, it’s harder and more expensive to maintain the 50 per cent humidity and 20 C temperature needed for the art.

The Nova Scotia government announced yesterday it is investing $108,000 into the study. The federal government is chipping in $60,000 and AGNS $12,000.

The study will determine if the goal of having a new facility is realistic, Cronin said.

“If it seems possible and if we’re given the green light to go ahead, then we will,” he said.

Cronin said the amount of space they are looking for is about 100,000 square feet.

Currently, they have a total of 65,000 square feet.

Grav
Jan 21, 2011, 5:52 PM
I dont like the sound of that, I understand the need for more space, But moving out of the old one building?? We could end up with another wasted historic building rotting down town or being made into pointless offices. Plus i like the old building. They courtyard next to it is when I would expect for a downtown with its old lamps and abstract sculptures.

The new building (IF they decide to move) will no doubt be an environmentally friendly glass box with a curvy wall and roof isolated from everything elts by an over abundance of grass and other green space. It will be very bland, but at least it will be full of art work which is more than I can say for other modern buildings going up right now.

-Harlington-
Jan 21, 2011, 5:56 PM
why not just add a few floors to it ?
whether it be modern or replicated

someone123
Jan 21, 2011, 7:23 PM
That building should be preserved.

Best option would be an addition across the street on the lot next to the Dominion Building.

beyeas
Jan 21, 2011, 7:44 PM
Yeah the existing buildings should be preserved. They are some of the nicer downtown heritage buildings!

Apparently the issue is that someone (likely the Sobeys) want to donate a huge pile of art, but will only do so if it can go on permanent display, and there is no where near enough room in the existing gallery (by a long shot). The rumours are that there are private donors willing to pony up money towards this. No idea who obviously but one can imagine the Fountains etc being into this.

JET
Jan 21, 2011, 8:06 PM
Yeah the existing buildings should be preserved. They are some of the nicer downtown heritage buildings!

Apparently the issue is that someone (likely the Sobeys) want to donate a huge pile of art, but will only do so if it can go on permanent display, and there is no where near enough room in the existing gallery (by a long shot). The rumours are that there are private donors willing to pony up money towards this. No idea who obviously but one can imagine the Fountains etc being into this.

Oh no, more branding; the 'Nova Scotia Sobeys Museum'; the 'Fountain Fountain'; where will it end? I like the current building. Just build a satellite building at Dal or SMU, they've got land.

Jonovision
Jan 21, 2011, 9:11 PM
That building should be preserved.

Best option would be an addition across the street on the lot next to the Dominion Building.

I like that option the most. The old buildings are beautiful and some of the best historic buildings in the city. Having the AGNS in them ensures they will remain in good condition. The site next door would be perfect for a modern gallery. Something that could match the scale of the buildings around, but would be very modern. It could be connected underneath Bedford Row.

beyeas
Jan 21, 2011, 11:09 PM
:previous:
good idea

kph06
Jan 22, 2011, 6:24 PM
Barrington Street apartment building (photos by me).

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5048/5377888953_73726497f9_b.jpg
(note the stellar security)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5048/5377889889_85e887a90b_b.jpg

Northend Guy
Jan 24, 2011, 3:58 PM
:previous: Are there any renderings for this apartment? I have no idea what is planned for that site. Or does anyone know how many units or floors are intended? All I have seen on it are some photos some of you have posted and the occasional reference to it, but no details. Just curious if someone could fill us in?

DigitalNinja
Jan 24, 2011, 5:01 PM
I'm pretty sure this is the ugly 4 story condo place that was called "The barrington" With what looked like no ground floor retail and it was an ugly brown color. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Northend Guy
Jan 25, 2011, 1:08 PM
Perhaps someone may have posted this already. The Credit Union on Octerloney St. in Dartmouth is getting a full face lift & reno, with 2 floors of height added. I've seen some elevations. It does not appear it will be an architectural marvel, but it will add a moderate amount of height & the finishes on it appear to be fairly good as well - appears to be aluminum panels for most of it, with stone tile at street level.

I love this area of Dartmouth. I think it is great that it is getting updated a little bit. I really like what Louis Lawen did with Greenvale as well. I really hope that someone does something with the old NSP site next to the Credit union. It will also be interesting to see what kind of development happens in the properties surrounding Greenvale. I really hope that they don't impact on Greenvale too much, because that is a really attractive development.

Jonovision
Jan 25, 2011, 1:19 PM
If you have access to those elevations Northend Guy please post them. I always see so much potential in that area. I'm so glad to hear that they are renovating the credit union. It's such an ugly little thing with its big plastic columns. I'd also like to see a small apartment or condo building go up on the lot on the corner of Victoria and Ochterloney where they just tore down Fergusons Auto Shop. I'm thinking something around 6 stories.

Northend Guy
Jan 25, 2011, 1:40 PM
If you have access to those elevations Northend Guy please post them.

Sorry, don't have them in a postable format.

JET
Jan 25, 2011, 5:04 PM
If you have access to those elevations Northend Guy please post them. I always see so much potential in that area. I'm so glad to hear that they are renovating the credit union. It's such an ugly little thing with its big plastic columns. I'd also like to see a small apartment or condo building go up on the lot on the corner of Victoria and Ochterloney where they just tore down Fergusons Auto Shop. I'm thinking something around 6 stories.

The last rumour was high end condos for the ferguson's lot.

Jstaleness
Jan 25, 2011, 10:59 PM
:previous: Hopefully by high end you mean "height".

Hopefully nothing less than 7-8 stories or higher go in these current Dartmouth holes.

Keith P.
Jan 25, 2011, 11:10 PM

I find this part of Ochterloney St. pretty disappointing. Far too many former single-family houses now converted into grubby-looking offices and the like, all of them unremarkable wood-frame structures. A good part of it would benefit from razing and replacement with properly designed developments.

JET
Jan 26, 2011, 1:23 PM
:previous: Hopefully by high end you mean "height".

Hopefully nothing less than 7-8 stories or higher go in these current Dartmouth holes.

Beyeas on 10/06 stated the following: "an "ambitious" circa $10M multi-residential with as many as 60 units in a 5-6 story structure (according to AllNS)."

JET
Jan 26, 2011, 1:25 PM
I find this part of Ochterloney St. pretty disappointing. Far too many former single-family houses now converted into grubby-looking offices and the like, all of them unremarkable wood-frame structures. A good part of it would benefit from razing and replacement with properly designed developments.

Can't say that I agree. I like the mix in this area. The houses that have been made into offices have been done well. The remaining houses, that house people, would benefit from exterior reno.

Jonovision
Jan 26, 2011, 1:58 PM

I would disagree as well. Yes, there are some that are horrible looking, but more are in good condition. The ones that front onto Ochterloney are quite nice in my opinion and ad a nice character and charm to the area.

Dmajackson
Jan 27, 2011, 1:16 PM
New mosque shining light on green construction
Centre offers natural illumination
By DAVENE JEFFREY Staff Reporter
Thu, Jan 27 - 4:54 AM

Natural light streamed into the large prayer room of what will soon be west-end Halifax’s first mosque on Wednesday afternoon.

Slated to open in May, the 25,000-square-foot structure boasts a brick exterior with many green features.

"The best way to save energy is not to use it," said project manager Peter Scott.

The Ummah Mosque and Community Centre on Chebucto Road relies heavily on natural light from its many floor-to-ceiling windows.

And the energy required to heat and cool the structure comes straight from the earth. Ten 150-metre geothermal wells have been drilled outside. Scott expects the wells will pay for themselves in less than a decade.

Construction has taken nearly three years, about a year and a half longer than first projected. And the faithful Muslims are anxious to get in.

"The community has been waiting for more than a decade," said Hadi Salah, chairman of the fundraising committee.

Originally expected to cost $6 million, the final bill will be closer to $6.6 million.

"The prices of labour and materials have gone up since 2007," said Salah.

The group has been building as the cash and pledges have come in.

Wednesday afternoon, workers were busy installing drywall framing in the large prayer room that comprises most of the third floor and will be able to accommodate up to 730 worshippers. At one end, the ceiling opens up to the dome near the east end of the building. Once finished, the dome will feature a large glass chandelier, Scott said.

The room is surrounded by windows on three sides and the front of the room is oriented toward the east and Mecca.

A temporary electrical connection is powering the building, but hopefully next week Nova Scotia Power will hook up a permanent supply, Scott said. The building is now filled with a loud drone from propane heaters.

Much of the building is meant to serve as a community centre and will be open to the public.

"The facility will have an independent management," Salah said. "Those details are being worked out now."

There are three meeting rooms and a library.

In the basement is a 6,500-square-foot gymnasium with a stage, changing rooms, washrooms and kitchen facilities.

"The building is meant to be very welcoming," Salah said. "When we open it, it will be a multifaith celebration."

His group is talking with Saint Mary’s University about hosting a multifaith conference.

-Harlington-
Jan 29, 2011, 12:47 AM
From today :

the dismantling DQ:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5180/5396929148_396ae389f3.jpg

New pet store going to the right of fathers mustache:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5259/5396331557_dec75baed8.jpg

New place going into bishops landing called the bicycle thief, aha:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5220/5396936746_6a553387e0.jpg

halifaxboyns
Jan 29, 2011, 2:25 AM
The Petstore - wasn't that a magazine shop? I seem to recall it was and had a small coffee shop in the back.

someone123
Jan 29, 2011, 2:27 AM
Daily Grind? Didn't they relocate to Mills?

JustinMacD
Jan 29, 2011, 2:28 AM
I just walked by DQ an hour ago and I KNEW something looked different about it.

God, just blow it up.

halifaxboyns
Jan 29, 2011, 6:39 AM
Daily Grind? Didn't they relocate to Mills?

That's what it was called - but I honestly haven't been into mills since before I moved away. Had no idea they were in there.

macgregor
Jan 29, 2011, 5:09 PM
New place going into bishops landing called the bicycle thief, aha:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5220/5396936746_6a553387e0.jpg

Bertossi has set up a site (http://bicyclethief.ca/) with an interesting construction blog.

FuzzyWuz
Feb 1, 2011, 1:19 AM
From the cbc website.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2011/01/31/nb-u2-moncton-concert-1153.html

Iconic rock band U2 has confirmed it will play an outdoor concert at Magnetic Hill in Moncton on July 30.

The Moncton concert is the last date on U2's North American tour and is the first time the band has played in Atlantic Canada.

"The Moncton show is set to be the final date of the U2 360 Tour in North America and we're really looking forward to bringing this now legendary 360 production into Atlantic Canada for the first time," said Paul McGuinness, U2's manager, in a statement.

The Moncton stop will have a special appearance with Montreal's Arcade Fire. As well, the band Carney will open for U2.

Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc said the city is honoured to have U2 play at the outdoor concert venue, which has already hosted major bands, such as the Rolling Stones and AC/DC.

"To host one of the biggest bands, on one of the biggest stages, as part of one of the biggest tours for their final North American date is an honour," LeBlanc said in a statement.

The concert stop in Moncton will also see some changes to the Magnetic Hill concert site.

Donald K Donald, the concert promoter, said there was no venue in Atlantic Canada big enough to hold the concert, so they are altering Magnetic Hill to fit the band's stage.

"There is no stadium big enough in Atlantic Canada so we will build one and they will come," he said in a statement.

"The impossible will become possible. Moncton will host the last North American U2 360 Tour date and it promises to be the biggest and greatest entertainment spectacle in Atlantic Canada history."

Ticket prices will go on sale on Feb. 8 and range from $29.50 to $275. The general admission tickets are $65.

It wasn't long after speculation started last week about U2's pending concert date started that hotel rooms in southeastern New Brunswick started filling up.

A standard room is now going for more than $200 and some hotels are charging $379.

Along with the Rolling Stones and AC/DC, the Eagles and Bon Jovi have also played outdoor concerts at Moncton's Magnetic Hill site.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2011/01/31/nb-u2-moncton-concert-1153.html#ixzz1CfKzrJ3w

FuzzyWuz
Feb 1, 2011, 1:22 AM
It's ok. All we have to do is book Jesus Christ, Mohammad, and Jim Morrison to play at the Olympics right after we host the Superbowl and we got Moncton beat.

Suckas...

someone123
Feb 1, 2011, 2:01 AM
This is the development section. Posts like the one above should go in the entertainment section.

halifaxboyns
Feb 1, 2011, 4:54 AM
Apparently the best concert in Moncton was the rolling stones and it brought in $14 million in tourism spin-offs. Guess we missed out on that completely.

MonctonRad
Feb 3, 2011, 11:16 PM
So, it was on ATV News tonight that the Bay store in Halifax is closing. do you guys know anything about this? are there any plans for this property?

-Harlington-
Feb 3, 2011, 11:19 PM
:previous:

yeah i saw that as well, im not sure if theres plans but thats huge piece of real estate in a pretty prime area so here hoping for something good :tup:

q12
Feb 3, 2011, 11:29 PM
So, it was on ATV News tonight that the Bay store in Halifax is closing. do you guys know anything about this? are there any plans for this property?

If this is true Moncton's is probably not far behind.

R.I.P. Hudson's bay co. / Zellers :oldlady

Their only brand that probably does well is Home Outfitters.

Maybe another U.S. Retailer Like JC Penny or Kohl's will fill their void, like Target is doing with Zellers.

halifaxboyns
Feb 3, 2011, 11:34 PM

I'm not surprised considering that the HRM office and the Provincial offices jumped out of West End Mall. I'm sure it's a ghost town.
Another condo/office tower perhaps?

alps
Feb 3, 2011, 11:36 PM
To be honest I'm surprised the Halifax Bay store stayed open as long as it did. It was always very empty when I visited and has a general air of neglect. I think the Dartmouth store is staying open and they definitely do better business since it's part of Mic Mac.

DigitalNinja
Feb 3, 2011, 11:53 PM
I was in there a couple times, they did have a few good sales on kitchen stuff.
Most of the people in there were seniors from the home close by I believe.

Keith P.
Feb 4, 2011, 12:41 AM
The Bay in Halifax is a good example of poor decisions regarding store design and site selection. Pretty much from the day it opened it did less business than its previous location (the old Simpson's). Part of that was due to the parking - a multilevel garage with access to the store only by elevators that were a problem from day one. The building turned its back on the street and the only semi-friendly grade-level access was buried in the back of the West End mall parking lot. The main entrance was from the mall and there were soon no retailers there that drew people in. Once you were in the store it wasn't bad, and because of the lack of customers they often had killer sales. But over the last few years the company obviously wasn't maintaining the place and it had a really run-down feel, with the parking garage feeling really scary.

If HRM had a clue. they would lay claim to at least a strip of the property for a proper widening of Chebucto Road.

fenwick16
Feb 4, 2011, 12:57 AM
I'm not surprised considering that the HRM office and the Provincial offices jumped out of West End Mall. I'm sure it's a ghost town.

A perfect location for a stadium. It even has existing parking and most people wouldn't consider it to be on the peninsula. Plus it is close to SMU and Dalhousie.

PS: It is probably too significant a building to consider tearing it down though? Here is the streetview link - http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=The+Bay,+halifax,+nova+scotia&aq=&sll=44.647773,-63.601999&sspn=0.043294,0.132093&g=halifax,+nova+scotia&ie=UTF8&hq=The+Bay,&hnear=Halifax,+Halifax+County,+Nova+Scotia&t=h&layer=c&cbll=44.644624,-63.617355&panoid=ChaCFjJHLPb52yoop5Q35g&cbp=12,257.72,,0,1.22&ll=44.643468,-63.617781&spn=0.005412,0.020599&z=17

sdm
Feb 4, 2011, 12:59 AM

the floor plates would be to large for residential use. Office would be interesting, however again the plates are so large it would really only lend itself to call centre type tenants.

MonctonRad
Feb 4, 2011, 1:10 AM
If this is true Moncton's is probably not far behind.

Maybe another U.S. Retailer Like JC Penny or Kohl's will fill their void, like Target is doing with Zellers.

I don't disagree with you q12, The old Eaton's store at Highfield Square was very nice and really popular. The Bay subsequently took over the location but never really caught on. In the meantime, the rest of Highfield Square died (due to competition from Champlain Place aka the mall that ate Moncton).

One scenario that I have speculated on in the Moncton thread is:

1 - The Dieppe Wal-Mart moving out of Champlain Place and relocating as a new SuperCentre in the Harrisville Blvd. neighbourhood (it doesn't really belong in Champlain in any event).
2 - The Bay moving out of Highfield to the (former) Wal-Mart location at Champlain (it would fit right in with the other anchors such as Sears, H&M etc.)
3 - Highfield Square would then be flattened so that the new 10,000 seat downtown Arena/Events Centre could be built.

spaustin
Feb 4, 2011, 1:34 AM
I was in Highfield Square about a month ago (had a meeting across the street). My travel partner and I arrived early so we popped in to see about grabbing a bite at the food court. We were quite surprised to find the food court barely alive and the place pretty dead. Highfield's days look numbered. Sad to see the Halifax Bay go, but I agree, its design really set it up to fail once the Bay stopped being a store people would make a special trip to go to.

Northend Guy
Feb 4, 2011, 4:46 AM
Wouldn't be surprised to see more DND offices go in there. They've taken a pretty good chunk of the other spaces in West end mall. In addition to their recruitment office, they have another pretty substantial part of the mall. Seems to be a bit of a trend with malls lately, to secure well established office tenants. (westend, bayer's road SC).

halifaxboyns
Feb 4, 2011, 4:49 AM
If the floor plate for the bay is so big - perhaps it will be taken down? That parking garage is pretty bad - maybe you could fit 2 office towers there?

terrynorthend
Feb 4, 2011, 1:41 PM
Maybe a "Tar-zhay" (Target) to compete with WalMart 3636?

-Harlington-
Feb 7, 2011, 10:18 PM
According to CTV news the bay has been sold, but they wont say anymore than that

David1gray
Feb 7, 2011, 10:45 PM
kelly is on right now some notes:

not locked in as 10000 or 25000 seats
not a temporary complex he says it must be permanent
will be bigger then moncton
shannon park still possible as is DC, still open to other possible locations.

on the oval:

he says decision is taking to long
he wants to keep it

moncton concerts:

whats good for moncton is good for atlantic canada

sdm
Feb 8, 2011, 12:23 AM
According to CTV news the bay has been sold, but they wont say anymore than that

its likely the same owners of the mall that is attached to it. Least thats the rumour on the street.

sdm
Feb 8, 2011, 12:33 AM
Fourth quater reports are now coming out.

Looks like the downtown downward trend is still happening. Vacancy in class "a" is now pushing 13.9%.

Why can't we seem to understand that getting downtown and parking is causing the issue as the rents in the suburbs in some cases are not cheaper then downtown.

http://www.cushwake.com/cwmbs4q10/PDF/off_halifax_4q10.pdf

gm_scott
Feb 8, 2011, 12:39 AM
I found this article regarding The Bay from February Fourth

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1225848.html

someone123
Feb 8, 2011, 1:56 AM

Looks like the downtown downward trend is still happening. Vacancy in class "a" is now pushing 13.9%.

Why can't we seem to understand that getting downtown and parking is causing the issue as the rents in the suburbs in some cases are not cheaper then downtown.

By 2037 or so they'll have "express" buses parked on the Bedford Highway and everything will be fixed...

Dmajackson
Feb 8, 2011, 5:22 AM
National immigration museum opens at Pier 21
By THE CANADIAN PRESS
Mon, Feb 7 - 3:25 PM

The Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21 in Halifax opened its doors Monday, officially marking the transformation of a well-known national historic site into a national museum.
Defence Minister Peter MacKay presided over the ceremonies, inaugurating the country's sixth national museum, the second outside of the National Capital Region.

The federal government plans to spend $25 million during the next five years to upgrade the waterfront building and develop new exhibitions and programming.

MacKay said the venue pays tribute to the one million people from around the world who chose Canada as their home.

``I know I speak for all Nova Scotians in saying that we are proud to be part of ensuring this important chapter of Canadian history is preserved, promoted and shared with all Canadians,'' he said in a statement.

Heritage Minister James Moore said one in five Canadians can trace a connection to Pier 21.

From the late 1920s to the early 1970s, it was Canada's front door for more than a million immigrants, refugees, troops, wartime evacuees, war brides and their children.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper first announced the federal government's plan to change the status of Pier 21 in June 2009. Legislation came into force in November 2010.

The museum, described as Canada's last surviving ocean immigration shed, now has a broadened mandate to enhance public understanding of the vital role immigration has played in the building of Canada.

Located in the south end of Halifax, Pier 21 officially opened to immigrants on March 8, 1928. It closed in 1971, having admitted large waves of immigrants from England, Hungary, the Baltic nations, Italy and Germany.

The building also served as the point of departure for more than 500,000 Canadian troops to fight in Europe.

Pier 21 reopened as a museum in 1999.

The museum's annual operating budget is projected to be up to $7.7 million.

halifaxboyns
Feb 8, 2011, 5:24 AM

Are you suggesting that they build more parking downtown?

someone123
Feb 8, 2011, 6:38 AM

The downtown is never going to compete with suburban areas for parking, particularly when the HRM promotes low density and hands out subsidies to road development.

As many have mentioned before I think an obvious real fix consists of three things:

1) More housing and residents downtown and on the peninsula (30,000-40,000 over 10-15 years -- a significant percentage of metropolitan population growth). Great for city coffers and increases demand for nearby commercial development. Reverse commuters also work well for traffic.
2) Better transit. LRT and/or streetcars in the core and more express buses.
3) Development of business areas outside the downtown but in the city core -- Bayers Road, Dutch Village Road, downtown Dartmouth, and Young Street are examples. These should be pedestrian-oriented and well-served by transit.

The old 60's model of skyscrapers and suburbia never worked and should be abandoned.

fenwick16
Feb 8, 2011, 8:31 AM
National immigration museum opens at Pier 21
By THE CANADIAN PRESS
Mon, Feb 7 - 3:25 PM

It is great to see so much money being committed to upgrades ($25 million) and the annual operating budget ($7.7 million).

sdm
Feb 8, 2011, 1:55 PM

Not as a fix, but there should be more.

Because of the geotechincal issues of the area (slate) i believe developers should be allowed more height so that the first few levels above ground can be parking. Obviously the treatment at ground level needs to be consistent with being people friendly.This is being done else where, why not here.

I know your going to say why increase traffic by promoting more cars, but it is after all Halifax and the change is slow to come. Eventually things will change, but right now there is a critical problem that needs to be addressed as the core is losing tenancies quickly.

A real fix to the problem is transit and access to the core. Buses simply do not work as there is no dedicated route for them to take, therefore people take their own cars to work because its as fast, or in many cases faster.

Someone123 touched on residential growth, which should be a major part in the "fix". But its a chicken and egg problem. The demand for residential will be related to where people work. If people continue to work outside the core in the subs the market demand will be slow. We need to promote business to stay in the core.

halifaxboyns
Feb 8, 2011, 4:30 PM
I agree with SDM to a point. And yes, he's right about residential demand to a point - it's all about choice. People do still choose to live in downtown and commute via bus. I live in downtown Calgary (have a car) and walk to work. I got yelled at by my mechanic on the weekend for not driving enough - really?

I'd be willing to accept more parking - but how do you control it to be temporary? The answer is, you can't. So there in lines my problem with your suggestion. But I do think that having parking as levels 2 and 3 of a building (above grade) is quite acceptable. The building I live in has that and I don't have a problem with it at all. There is a building in Edmonton that did that, next to the Sobeys on Jasper. Unless you knew that the parking was there, you'd swear the windows were actually to offices - but they aren't.

This is the building here (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Jasper+Avenue+Northwest,+Edmonton,+Alberta&aq=1&sll=49.95122,-97.119141&sspn=32.037885,67.587891&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Jasper+Ave+NW,+Edmonton,+Division+No.+11,+Alberta&ll=53.542249,-113.499262&spn=0,0.004125&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.54254,-113.499276&panoid=7FOCOvgVzj3-pQ_9OO77SA&cbp=12,244.85,,0,-16.3).

The first key thing to 'fixing' downtown is to get rid of the Cogswell interchange and get a better road system in that location. Once that is done, you can incorporate a streetcar or some sort of LRT into the construction and actually get a system running. If Portland could build a 12.6km long streetcar system for $57 million, I'm sure we could build one for about $70 (given the increase in price since Portland built).

beyeas
Feb 8, 2011, 6:44 PM
I agree with SDM to a point. And yes, he's right about residential demand to a point - it's all about choice. People do still choose to live in downtown and commute via bus. I live in downtown Calgary (have a car) and walk to work. I got yelled at by my mechanic on the weekend for not driving enough - really?

I'd be willing to accept more parking - but how do you control it to be temporary? The answer is, you can't. So there in lines my problem with your suggestion. But I do think that having parking as levels 2 and 3 of a building (above grade) is quite acceptable. The building I live in has that and I don't have a problem with it at all. There is a building in Edmonton that did that, next to the Sobeys on Jasper. Unless you knew that the parking was there, you'd swear the windows were actually to offices - but they aren't.

This is the building here (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Jasper+Avenue+Northwest,+Edmonton,+Alberta&aq=1&sll=49.95122,-97.119141&sspn=32.037885,67.587891&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Jasper+Ave+NW,+Edmonton,+Division+No.+11,+Alberta&ll=53.542249,-113.499262&spn=0,0.004125&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.54254,-113.499276&panoid=7FOCOvgVzj3-pQ_9OO77SA&cbp=12,244.85,,0,-16.3).

The first key thing to 'fixing' downtown is to get rid of the Cogswell interchange and get a better road system in that location. Once that is done, you can incorporate a streetcar or some sort of LRT into the construction and actually get a system running. If Portland could build a 12.6km long streetcar system for $57 million, I'm sure we could build one for about $70 (given the increase in price since Portland built).

There was a very interesting interview in the G&M with your new mayor this past weekend. In it he had a number of quite interesting but simple viewpoints ranging from the whole concept of trying to create neighbourhoods along transit corridors, to the one that I thought was most interesting which was something along the lines of "I don't want to take the choice of living in the suburbs away from people, I just want the cost of owning that home reflective of the costs to service it". Sounds very much like the tax proposal that was killed here in Halifax mostly by the rural/sub-urban councillors.

Anyway, regardless, it was very interesting reading and the G&M noted how rare it is to have a mayor with a background and interest in development planning. Hard to read the truth though from thousands of miles away so I am always curious to see what you think of how things are going with him.

halifaxboyns
Feb 8, 2011, 7:16 PM
There was a very interesting interview in the G&M with your new mayor this past weekend. In it he had a number of quite interesting but simple viewpoints ranging from the whole concept of trying to create neighbourhoods along transit corridors, to the one that I thought was most interesting which was something along the lines of "I don't want to take the choice of living in the suburbs away from people, I just want the cost of owning that home reflective of the costs to service it". Sounds very much like the tax proposal that was killed here in Halifax mostly by the rural/sub-urban councillors.

Anyway, regardless, it was very interesting reading and the G&M noted how rare it is to have a mayor with a background and interest in development planning. Hard to read the truth though from thousands of miles away so I am always curious to see what you think of how things are going with him.

Well I think he'll probably run into some opposition from councillors who are mainly suburban communities (new greenfield). I also find it interesting that he lives in one of these new communities (Saddleridge I believe?). So that may actually play in his favour.

It's been an argument which many of the urban/inner city councillors have been making for years and the resentment continues to grow. There is huge pressure from the home builders not to do it; but I think there may be enough support on council to achieve it. But you never know; they haven't published campaign contribution lists yet - so it will all depend.

It's an interesting thought and I know Nenshi wasn't happy how Plan It Calgary (the Municipal Development Plan) got watered down at the last minute to get it passed. I wonder if in the near future we'll see direction come from council to go back and fix it - not sure.

He did narrowly get his airport tunnel approved through council - which has been a very contentious issue - which really doesn't fully solve the traffic issues for the Airport (you have restored the east/west connector, but still have lost a crucial north/south).

halifaxboyns
Feb 8, 2011, 7:31 PM
On a seperate note - I was checking out some of the posts in the Portland threads and found this really interesting development. It's short, but quite interesting. I could see this ending up in some of the height restricted areas in Halifax.
http://www.udplp.com/images/properties/main.jpg

someone123
Feb 9, 2011, 12:12 AM
I don't think there's much of a problem getting people to live downtown, particularly if we include Spring Garden Road (one of the fastest growing census tracts in the HRM). Lots of recent residential projects have been successful but red tape and restrictions on density are a problem. There also isn't much investment in the appearance of the downtown area since the streetscape projects have basically been shelved. I think those would make a difference.

Jonovision
Feb 11, 2011, 1:56 PM
I've been watching the foundations for what I assume is a new Shed for the Submarines being built. Two large trucks full of steel were delivered last weekend and the first piece rose today.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/jonovision/IMG_5095.jpg?t=1297430413