PDA

View Full Version : General Updates and News

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120

Wishblade
Mar 26, 2010, 1:34 PM
Strip club being redeveloped
Dartmouth's Sensations building may be replaced by offices

The Dartmouth, N.S., building that once housed a controversial strip club is being gutted and signs indicate it may be replaced with an office building.

Sensations Cabaret on Wyse Road opened in the face of protests in January 2006. Neighbours said the club would attract unsavory clientele.

Sensations faced numerous complaints before the Utility and Review Board. Its liquor license was suspended in July 2006 after the board ruled the club had defied orders to get rid of sexually explicit entertainment.

The board banned all adult entertainment at the club and suspended its liquor license for 45 days

Owner Javis Roberts said then that he would turn it into a "bring your own beer" private club with nude dancing.

Roberts died in November 2006 at age 45 and the club closed shortly after.

A sign on the building Thursday said the site is being redeveloped by DTZ Barnicke and carried an image of an office building.

The developers did not return the CBC's phone calls requesting more information and area councillor Jim Smith said the sign is the only clue he has as to the future of the site.

"I put a call in to the development officer for HRM and I haven't heard back," he said Thursday. "Of all the uses that it could be, that's probably one of the ones that local residents might approve of. There was concern it might be developed into another lounge."

Smith also said he would call DTZ Barnicke to see what the company plans.

Warren Wright, who said he has lived in the area his entire life, said he was pleased to see signs Sensations would be replaced.

"It was not liked at all. We have schools up here, a playground down there. Even when the women used to go out walking, they were scared because people were thinking they were prostitutes," he said Thursday.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2010/03/26/ns-sensations-office.html

Jonovision
Mar 26, 2010, 4:19 PM
That would be great for the area! I wonder how big it is? I'll try and go by the site sometime over the weekend and see what that sign looks like.

From today's Herald.

Expert urges downtown facelift

By CHRIS LAMBIE Business Editor

An internationally renowned ur ban design expert took a swipe at Halifax on Thursday for its blank walls and unfriendly walking areas.

Carol Coletta, president of CEOs for Cities in Chicago, wad ed into the debate about down town Barrington Street’s ghost town-like appearance while speaking to several hundred peo ple at a luncheon organized by the Greater Halifax Partnership.

“I want to point out blank walls are not so good for vibrant down towns," Coletta said.

“You want to make sure that the central city is radiating energy to the rest of the region."

She said she sees “too many blank walls" in Halifax.

That includes “not just empty lots, but also those buildings that seem to be occupied but are just not very friendly, at a first-floor level, to walkers," Coletta said.

“They’re not very interesting or (they don’t) add vibrancy."

She had a brief chance to check out the city before her talk.

“I did see some fairly formida ble walking areas — areas that would not attract many people to walk beside them.

“If you’re trying to increase vi brancy in a downtown, one of the things you must have is a walk able downtown."

By blank walls, Coun. Peter Lund (Hammonds Plains-St. Mar garets) said he assumed Coletta was talking about “all those emp ty lots in downtown Halifax."

When a building comes down and a developer wins approval for a new project to proceed, “the lots tend to sit there for many, many years before they get developed upon,mainlybased on economic" conditions, Lund said.

He asked Coletta to suggest al ternatives to empty parking lots, which Lund referred to as “a bit of an eyesore."

“Should we be considering greening them in, in the mean time, to create places where peo ple can stop, park benches or something to make it more attrac tive?"

he said. Coletta pointed out that Port land, Ore., “has done a fabulous job in (it’s) downtown with food carts."

“They have a number of park ing lots in downtown Portland that are lined with food carts, with food mobiles. So they pop up in certain hours of the day and then they go away or they’re closed. It’s a great way for entre preneurs to get into business at a low cost."

Coletta also took issue with the Halifax Regional Municipality, or HRM, label after she was ques tioned about how the city could improve its brand. The city’s working name has been hotly de bated at city hall.

A city’s brand should focus on what makes the place distinct, Co letta said.

“HRM — I don’t know what that means," she said.

“I think regionalism makes so much sense because economies are regional and environments are regional. It makes sense to think regionally. But I also think that, in thinking regionally, what we need to understand is things like HRM, to the rest of the world, mean nothing."

She garnered applause and laughter for that comment.

After the talk, Mayor Peter Kelly said the city has approved more than $3 million in spending to help rejuvenate Barrington Street.

“It is the businesses that need to open the doors and open up that space and make it welcoming."

A proposed convention centre that is still waiting for govern ment funding will help rejuve nate the downtown area, he said.

“There are over nine develop ments approved for the down town. It is the development com munity unto themselves that will decide, based upon their econom ic risk, on which to move for ward."

(clambie@herald.ca)

beyeas
Mar 26, 2010, 4:39 PM
Coletta also took issue with the Halifax Regional Municipality, or HRM, label after she was ques tioned about how the city could improve its brand. The city’s working name has been hotly de bated at city hall.

A city’s brand should focus on what makes the place distinct, Co letta said.

“HRM — I don’t know what that means," she said.

“I think regionalism makes so much sense because economies are regional and environments are regional. It makes sense to think regionally. But I also think that, in thinking regionally, what we need to understand is things like HRM, to the rest of the world, mean nothing."

She garnered applause and laughter for that comment.

(clambie@herald.ca)

Bless You Carol Coletta. I couldn't have said it any better :-)
Totally agree with her, and sometimes I think this city needs a wakeup call as to how foolish regional issues like HRM make us look to the rest of the world.

worldlyhaligonian
Mar 26, 2010, 4:41 PM
Thanks for telling us things we don't already know there Coletta and dissing our city... I'm sorry we don't live in Chicago and have a huge tax base and private sector to fix our downtown. What a waste of time bringing these people in.

beyeas
Mar 26, 2010, 4:50 PM
Thanks for telling us things we don't already know there Coletta and dissing our city... I'm sorry we don't live in Chicago and have a huge tax base and private sector to fix our downtown. What a waste of time bringing these people in.

I don't see how saying that empty lots are an eyesore and suggesting that they be greened and turned into temporary open space is something that requires a huge tax base? In fact I would suggest it should be a condition imposed if a developer flattens a site to avoid the taxes and then leaves the lot undeveloped.

Not to mention the fact that sometimes I think this city needs a wake up call. There is no doubt that Halifax is a great city... but sometimes I see a temptation to get a bit big for its britches. For example anyone who things that Halifax is such a historic jewel should go to Quebec City, and anyone who thinks that everyone outside of NS doesn't laugh at us for the HRM moniker needs to get their heads out of the sand.

We look foolish, and far to often local politicians spend to much time navel gazing and not enough time actually realizing what people from the outside think. She is by far not the only visitor to think this... in fact I would go so far as to say that any visitor to downtown Halifax this summer will drive away thinking of empty lots, empty stores and floatables.

Empire
Mar 26, 2010, 5:30 PM
Bless You Carol Coletta. I couldn't have said it any better :-)
Totally agree with her, and sometimes I think this city needs a wakeup call as to how foolish regional issues like HRM make us look to the rest of the world.

I don't know why we don't just refer to the whole region as Halifax. Because this is an isuue it shows just what an indecisive, time wasting group we have in office. By far fewer people would disagree with Halifax as opposed something as asinine as HRM.

fenwick16
Mar 26, 2010, 5:34 PM
The floatables should be gone by the summer since the Halifax wastewater plant will be operating again by then.

In my opinion, visitors to Halifax who have time to spend a few days in the city will have the following opinions:

Positives:
1) great restaurants
2) great waterfront
3) natural scenery
4) a good mix of a historic buildings and modern buildings
5) vibrant downtown with lots of live music

Negatives:
1) The empty lots and empty storefronts.
2) cold damp weather

I think that Halifax has more in common with the larger cities of Baltimore and San Francisco. Chicago has embraced tall buildings for close to 150 years now. So any heritage in Chicago revolves around modern technology (the older tall buildings mixed with modern very tall buildings). Chicago has a very impressive downtown core with tightly pacted skyscrapers and urban canyons so a visitor from Chicago won't be impressed by downtown Halifax (they are so completely different). However, Chicago doesn't have the ocean (just a large lake), very little history and not much natural scenery.

I think that Halifax is a great city and it could be even better if it would find a way to embrace modern architecture instead of fearing that tall buildings and modern architecture will destroy the city.

Empire
Mar 26, 2010, 5:51 PM
The floatables should be gone by the summer since the Halifax wastewater plant will be operating again by then.

In my opinion, visitors to Halifax who have time to spend a few days in the city will have the following opinions:

Positives:
1) great restaurants
2) great waterfront
3) natural scenery
4) a good mix of a historic buildings and modern buildings
5) vibrant downtown with lots of live music \6) doesn't snow much until Jan.

Negatives:
1) The empty lots and empty storefronts.
2) cold damp weather

Positives:
6) walkable
7) reasonable shopping
8) neighbourhood enclaves (Hydrostone, north end, Spring Garden, South Barrington)
9) steep history
10) major shipping presence

Negatives:
3) Very poorly designed mid sized buildings with cheap fake materials
4) Grand historic houses plastered with plastic siding (changing a bit for the better recently though)
5) wasted potential in brownfield sites
6) no stadium

fenwick16
Mar 26, 2010, 5:58 PM
:previous:

I thought of mentioning this: 6) no stadium

but I know some people on this forum are getting tired of me posting about it. I am glad that you brought it up. 5) is a good one. A stadium could be put on a brownfield site (north of the Halifax Forum - DND site)

JET
Mar 26, 2010, 5:59 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2010/03/26/ns-sensations-office.html

http://www.dtzbarnicke.com/client/JJB/JJBNA+Web+Listing+dB.nsf/PL/F09654D6928DF224852576E70065C76C?Open

Empire
Mar 26, 2010, 6:39 PM
[QUOTE=JET;4766999]http://www.dtzbarnicke.com/client/JJB/JJBNA+Web+Listing+dB.nsf/PL/F09654D6928DF224852576E70065C76C?Open[/QUOTE

Exactly what I expected.....................

Phalanx
Mar 26, 2010, 6:42 PM

Why get upset at what she says when she's telling us 'things we don't already know'? Truth is truth regardless of who says it. I'm willing to bet almost everyone on the Halifax section of the forum has spent some time criticizing some aspect of the city. Pot. Kettle. And we need outsiders opinions, because (as someone already said) it's a wake-up call. When you live in an area, and like an area, biases can blind you to some harsh truths.

Being defensive about reasonable, and reasoned criticism doesn't help. She didn't 'dis' Halifax, she made an observation.

...Speaking of unfriendly walking conditions downtown... Halifax really needs a better street and sidewalk cleaning policy. I know things are usually bad after the snow melts, but it's just disgusting in spots. Cigarette butts, garbage and dead leaves everywhere.

JET
Mar 26, 2010, 7:29 PM
[QUOTE=JET;4766999]http://www.dtzbarnicke.com/client/JJB/JJBNA+Web+Listing+dB.nsf/PL/F09654D6928DF224852576E70065C76C?Open[/QUOTE

It's unimpressive, but an improvement over what is there; not that it would take much to improve what is there. JET

Dmajackson
Mar 26, 2010, 7:39 PM

Not bad but also nothing very exciting ... at least it will give Notting Village some company. :rolleyes:

someone123
Mar 26, 2010, 7:47 PM
It's a bit rich for Kelly to point out that it's "up to developers" to fix the downtown. Yes, there are approved projects now, but he had a hand in delaying many of those for years while empty, ugly parking lots lingered downtown.

On top of that we have things like the Spring Garden Road improvements which were shelved for no good reason.

"HRM" has always obviously been a joke and is a sign of the region's parochialism. Dartmouth was never any more than a small town or suburb.

I don't really see Halifax being "too big for its britches". It seems like the opposite to me - many people in the city have a small-town attitude and are oblivious of the scale of the city (not that it's actually that large) and all of the things that reasonably should happen there. The only hubris I see is in the weird belief that everything in the city will be more or less fine regardless of what happens, which isn't true at all. There's a cost to making stupid decisions.

worldlyhaligonian
Mar 26, 2010, 8:23 PM
I don't see how saying that empty lots are an eyesore and suggesting that they be greened and turned into temporary open space is something that requires a huge tax base? In fact I would suggest it should be a condition imposed if a developer flattens a site to avoid the taxes and then leaves the lot undeveloped.

Not to mention the fact that sometimes I think this city needs a wake up call. There is no doubt that Halifax is a great city... but sometimes I see a temptation to get a bit big for its britches. For example anyone who things that Halifax is such a historic jewel should go to Quebec City, and anyone who thinks that everyone outside of NS doesn't laugh at us for the HRM moniker needs to get their heads out of the sand.

We look foolish, and far to often local politicians spend to much time navel gazing and not enough time actually realizing what people from the outside think. She is by far not the only visitor to think this... in fact I would go so far as to say that any visitor to downtown Halifax this summer will drive away thinking of empty lots, empty stores and floatables.

Because its obvious, duh!

First and foremost... I don't really care about the visitors, I LIVE HERE THE REST OF THE YEAR! If its not good enough for me in 365 days of the year than clearly it sucks for tourists who are here for a brief period and don't even fully experience the lack of development or services at this current point in history.

Why we don't have BRT in the railcut as a top priority is downright rediculous to me and the development situation downtown is laughable. I don't even mind the HRM in concept that much, as it is similar to a european model. I think our brand could be updated, but she's missing the boat on the real structural issues... who cares about the fluff when its the actual policies and lobby groups that have hurt Halifax. It almost reminds me of the Christian right's influence on the Bush administration's policy decisions, except these people are on the opposite end of the spectrum.

If she wants to know why all of these lots are like this... look no farther than the HT. I know it sounds like the same old from me, but I honestly believe a number of developments would have started before the recession screwed their chances of financing. That would be a number of sites that we might have buildings on right now.

Why are we gettting somebody else to tell us what is right in front of us? Are people in Halifax seriously not aware that they are being screwed by their own decisions in electing certain individuals or provincial groups.

It doesn't take a fucking luncheon with some person from Chicago to let the public or our leadership figure this one out.

Like Someone123 says, there is a small town mentality here and no matter how many times we beat the drum on the pro-development end we are still going to have obstructionists throw a wrench into the mix and we will hold more and more meetings on a "what if" Halifax.

Empire
Mar 26, 2010, 9:28 PM
Because its obvious, duh!

Why we don't have BRT in the railcut as a top priority is downright rediculous to me and the development situation downtown is laughable. ...................If she wants to know why all of these lots are like this... look no farther than the HT. I know it sounds like the same old from me, but I honestly believe a number of developments would have started before the recession screwed their chances of financing. That would be a number of sites that we might have buildings on right now.

- the railcut was built in 1895 and this herd of clowns can't even do a simple study of how best to use it....this has to change!
- the vacant lots exist because the same clowns can't figure out that if you lower taxes on a site after a building is demolished it is a huge incentive to developers to snap up prime sites and then demolish the building and get HUGE tax break.
- almost nothing this council suscribes to makes sense

worldlyhaligonian
Mar 26, 2010, 9:31 PM
Good points... we can't really blame developers either way.

DigitalNinja
Mar 26, 2010, 10:16 PM
It seems like they brought her in to make the council realize how ignorant it is... But it won't change at all.

sdm
Mar 26, 2010, 11:05 PM

Cheap

Dmajackson
Mar 29, 2010, 10:49 PM
Has it been mentioned that the Peepshow (http://www.partnersglobal.com/files/drm/d8a9d7f2-8d84-4cd4-a57c-f17a8786b441.pdf) store on Barrington Street is now closed? And the Daily Grind (http://www.partnersglobal.com/files/drm/8c1299c6-4501-42aa-8c9f-0ff76e387735.pdf) on Spring Garden is closing shortly?

Also Partners Global now has the Carsand Mosher site lite as under an agreement. Gotta wonder whats going to happen to the lot

-Harlington-
Mar 30, 2010, 12:52 AM
Has it been mentioned that the Peepshow (http://www.partnersglobal.com/files/drm/d8a9d7f2-8d84-4cd4-a57c-f17a8786b441.pdf) store on Barrington Street is now closed? And the Daily Grind (http://www.partnersglobal.com/files/drm/8c1299c6-4501-42aa-8c9f-0ff76e387735.pdf) on Spring Garden is closing shortly?

Also Partners Global now has the Carsand Mosher site lite as under an agreement. Gotta wonder whats going to happen to the lot

wow, RIP slowly dieing downtown, things really gotta stop closing like this.

someone123
Mar 30, 2010, 1:08 AM
The Daily Grind didn't close, it's moving into Mills Brothers. They are going to retain the sign.

It's natural to have a lot of churn in small businesses in a downtown area. Many are owned by the shopkeepers who take out leases for a few years and then move on to other things, sometimes selling their business and sometimes not. It's different from standard chains.

It seems to me that Barrington is clearly losing business while the downtown as a whole is very slowly improving retail-wise. Retail vacancy is not that low but there's a steady stream of new space in buildings like the Paramount or W Suites.

Barrington's fortunes really just depend on whether the planned projects happen or not.

fenwick16
Mar 30, 2010, 6:05 AM
To be completely honest, downtown Halifax is dying because there are councillors who have a small town attitude when they should be doing all that they can to work with businesses and developers to make the city a more vibrant location. It is just lip service when you hear councillors say that they are under pressure to do what is best for constituents and think that they are doing it by opposing every development that comes along. Then they ask why the downtown is dying (who is going to develop the downtown if it isn't the developers?). Personally, I have nothing against city councillors who want to preserve heritage in Halifax, however it bothers me when they can't balance heritage with growth. Downtown residents who are against new developments should be told to move to the suburbs or a small town, and then commute to the city if they need to. A city should be a location where businesses can be concentrated so that small towns aren't over-taken by development. For example, city dwellers who are against a 5 story building should hit the road; they knew they were living in a city when they decided to locate in downtown Halifax. The best way to preserve Nova Scotia for present and future generations is to concentrate growth in the Halifax area, not by forcing Nova Scotians to move to other provinces by preventing growth.

Over the past few years, downtown Halifax could of had at least two large residential developments that would have brought more residents downtown and helped to support retail downtown. They reason that they didn't get built wasn't because of a soft economy, but instead because they were delayed until it was no longer feasible to proceed. Many Halifax residents, and ex-residents who have had to move away, want progress not a small town attitude.

I really think that businesses in downtown Halifax need to support candidates in the next election who will move the city forward. Otherwise downtown Halifax is going to become a ghetto. It frustrates me that many of the people with optimism in the future of Halifax, are the ones who have moved away to more progressive cities. Others currently in Halifax are thinking of moving away. It also bothers me that Halifax seems to keep growing in spite of poor business decisions by city leaders. Instead, with the proper business friendly city leaders, Halifax could be a very vibrant city, and possibly even a booming city. Preventing growth and jobs and forcing residents to move away isn't helping Nova Scotians.

It is unbelievable to many, but some city leaders in the Halifax area do not really want development and growth. They want the status quo, to avoid development pressures.

Empire
Mar 30, 2010, 11:30 AM
To be completely honest, downtown Halifax is dying because there are councillors who have a small town attitude when they should be doing all that they can to work with businesses and developers to make the city a more vibrant location. It is just lip service when you hear councillors say that they are under pressure to do what is best for constituents and think that they are doing it by opposing every development that comes along. Then they ask why the downtown is dying (who is going to develop the downtown if it isn't the developers?). Personally, I have nothing against city councillors who want to preserve heritage in Halifax, however it bothers me when they can't balance heritage with growth. Downtown residents who are against new developments should be told to move to the suburbs or a small town, and then commute to the city if they need to. A city should be a location where businesses can be concentrated so that small towns aren't over-taken by development. For example, city dwellers who are against a 5 story building should hit the road; they knew they were living in a city when they decided to locate in downtown Halifax. The best way to preserve Nova Scotia for present and future generations is to concentrate growth in the Halifax area, not by forcing Nova Scotians to move to other provinces by preventing growth.

Over the past few years, downtown Halifax could of had at least two large residential developments that would have brought more residents downtown and helped to support retail downtown. They reason that they didn't get built wasn't because of a soft economy, but instead because they were delayed until it was no longer feasible to proceed. Many Halifax residents, and ex-residents who have had to move away, want progress not a small town attitude.

I really think that businesses in downtown Halifax need to support candidates in the next election who will move the city forward. Otherwise downtown Halifax is going to become a ghetto. It frustrates me that many of the people with optimism in the future of Halifax, are the ones who have moved away to more progressive cities. Others currently in Halifax are thinking of moving away. It also bothers me that Halifax seems to keep growing in spite of poor business decisions by city leaders. Instead, with the proper business friendly city leaders, Halifax could be a very vibrant city, and possibly even a booming city. Preventing growth and jobs and forcing residents to move away isn't helping Nova Scotians.

It is unbelievable to many, but some city leaders in the Halifax area do not really want development and growth. They want the status quo, to avoid development pressures.

You have summed up the past 15 years to a Tee. If managed properly Halifax would be booming and would have been for the last 10 years. My guess is that 50% or more of councilors don't want that. Development is seen as negative by area residents because of traffic, noise, shadows etc. Councilors look like heros for supporting the residents and fighting development. Some councilors are 100% anti-development and if they could introduce a moratorium on all development on the peninsula they would. It will be hard to vote for someone who supports development because they never seem to run for office. As for council and planning staff they would not be able to handle the work load of a boom so to avoid it works for most. There are massive hurdles to development in downtown Halifax. View protection, narrow streets, heritage issues, parking problems, height restrictions, anti-development lobby, unsupportive public office, expensive to build (bedrock and application delays-years) not to mention the peninsula is shared with mostly single family residential neighbourhoods.

someone123
Mar 30, 2010, 7:14 PM
It's a little strange because there's a lot of dissonance when you hear councillors talking. I don't really think they're lying, I think they're just in over their heads. I really think most of them are elected because they're good at listening to complaints about traffic lights and cats and that it's ridiculous to have them make decisions about larger issues.

Everything in Halifax also moves at an absolutely glacial pace, both public and private sector. It's gotten a bit better, but it's very noticeable when you compare the way things work in Halifax to how they work in Toronto or Vancouver.

Empire
Mar 31, 2010, 3:12 PM
100% bang on summary of the common usage.

At the busiest time of day how many people are on the commons, 10-15?

Herald Mar. 31 - Voice of the People

Common usage

My partner and I live within half a block of the Common, which we enjoy on a regular basis. We have attended most of the concerts and even when we didn’t, the noise usually ended at 11 p.m. and the crowds always dispersed in an orderly fashion.

I have to tell you that when the concerts are on the Garrison Grounds, they are easily audible from our back deck. Admittedly, not quite as close as the Common, but definitely predominant in the neighbourhood.

There is a need to make the Common safer and more enjoyable.

I have seen the damage caused by the audiences and the trucks on the Common. But it has always been successfully remediated.

In the meantime, the Common is nothing more than a lovely, wide-open space that people cross on their way back and forth to work; that dog walkers use; and that squeegee kids sleep on in the good weather. Oh, and don’t forget the baseball players who occupy the diamonds, and who, despite the new bathroom on the north side, still relieve themselves in the bushes nearby.

If we want to make this more public, why can’t City Hall plan some of its public events on the Common, instead of at Parade Square?

We could encourage outdoor theatre there. Just look at the Boston Common — outdoor opera performances, Pride events, Shakespeare plays, speeches by the late Martin Luther King Jr. and Pope John Paul II!

Also there should be recognition of its historical role. For example, why not make an effort with plaques or monuments to recognize the fact that thousands of Haligonians lived on the Common after the explosion of 1917?

If the Common was used this way more often, as a destination rather than a space to traverse, the large concerts (once or twice a year) would be part of the public context and not such a big deal.

Marie Thompson, Halifax

sdm
Mar 31, 2010, 5:02 PM
The Daily Grind didn't close, it's moving into Mills Brothers. They are going to retain the sign.

It's natural to have a lot of churn in small businesses in a downtown area. Many are owned by the shopkeepers who take out leases for a few years and then move on to other things, sometimes selling their business and sometimes not. It's different from standard chains.

It seems to me that Barrington is clearly losing business while the downtown as a whole is very slowly improving retail-wise. Retail vacancy is not that low but there's a steady stream of new space in buildings like the Paramount or W Suites.

Barrington's fortunes really just depend on whether the planned projects happen or not.

i understand the tea place in the w suites went bankrupt this month.

So generally retail in the core is suffering. Hopefully it will rebound, but we need to get more people living near and within the core to really push this.

halifaxboyns
Mar 31, 2010, 5:06 PM
100% bang on summary of the common usage.

At the busiest time of day how many people are on the commons, 10-15?

Herald Mar. 31 - Voice of the People

Common usage

My partner and I live within half a block of the Common, which we enjoy on a regular basis. We have attended most of the concerts and even when we didn’t, the noise usually ended at 11 p.m. and the crowds always dispersed in an orderly fashion.

I have to tell you that when the concerts are on the Garrison Grounds, they are easily audible from our back deck. Admittedly, not quite as close as the Common, but definitely predominant in the neighbourhood.

There is a need to make the Common safer and more enjoyable.

I have seen the damage caused by the audiences and the trucks on the Common. But it has always been successfully remediated.

In the meantime, the Common is nothing more than a lovely, wide-open space that people cross on their way back and forth to work; that dog walkers use; and that squeegee kids sleep on in the good weather. Oh, and don’t forget the baseball players who occupy the diamonds, and who, despite the new bathroom on the north side, still relieve themselves in the bushes nearby.

If we want to make this more public, why can’t City Hall plan some of its public events on the Common, instead of at Parade Square?

We could encourage outdoor theatre there. Just look at the Boston Common — outdoor opera performances, Pride events, Shakespeare plays, speeches by the late Martin Luther King Jr. and Pope John Paul II!

Also there should be recognition of its historical role. For example, why not make an effort with plaques or monuments to recognize the fact that thousands of Haligonians lived on the Common after the explosion of 1917?

If the Common was used this way more often, as a destination rather than a space to traverse, the large concerts (once or twice a year) would be part of the public context and not such a big deal.

Marie Thompson, Halifax

Very nicely worded - I actually know Marie. :)

someone123
Mar 31, 2010, 6:47 PM
i understand the tea place in the w suites went bankrupt this month.

So generally retail in the core is suffering. Hopefully it will rebound, but we need to get more people living near and within the core to really push this.

I don't know.. I heard about the tea place but don't have a sense of how many places overall are opening or closing. However, I think it's easy to conflate a number of factors. Closings might be due to dwindling local traffic, or they could be because it just wasn't the right kind of business, or because it was poorly managed, or because there are too many of that particular type of store downtown. In Halifax I think there has been too much tendency in the past to blame problems on a poor economy. I've heard "Downtown is dying!!" for 20 years when in reality some parts are the same and many parts are much better than they were.

Overall what we want are retail statistics for the core - vacancy rates, new construction of space, and absorption rates.

I am not personally too worried about the old North End, south end of Barrington, or Spring Garden Road since there is a decent amount of new construction and growth happening in those areas. It's not necessarily ideal since there are some underused sites that are developed too slowly, but they will probably improve on their own eventually. Barrington is a different story.

sdm
Mar 31, 2010, 11:53 PM
Overall what we want are retail statistics for the core - vacancy rates, new construction of space, and absorption rates.

numbers will be out very soon. The true cbd (not including sgr) is in a very sharp decline with negative absorb and increasing vacancy rate.

As for historical rates, well that would take some digging but i'd say we are back to where we were in the early 90's

fenwick16
Apr 1, 2010, 1:41 AM
This is not an uncommon trend. In the Toronto downtown core, over the past 20 years, there have been very few large office developments; most of the tall buildings being built now in the Toronto downtown core are condominiums. In the future, Halifax will likely have to really work at attracting development to the downtown core and much of it will likely be residential (if they don't drive it away by making it too difficult for developers to build). It seems like more and more office and residential development will be in the suburbs.

someone123
Apr 1, 2010, 4:49 AM
As for historical rates, well that would take some digging but i'd say we are back to where we were in the early 90's

You mean for retail vacancies along Barrington? That seems correct, although one key difference is that there are currently proposals and buyers for Barrington Street properties whereas nobody was touching anything there in the 90s.

Also we have both the waterfront Emera offices and Waterside Centre under construction. Both will be good for the downtown. I am hoping we also see a couple of other projects as well.

I would like to see more office development in the core but I also think that we should partly forget about the "CBD" and look at a larger area including Spring Garden Road and a bit of the North End. I would like to see a better mix of development, with some residential in the old downtown core and some office buildings sprinkled in various parts of the peninsula. This is a much better model than a 9-5 commuter downtown, both for retail and for quality of life of residents as a whole.

planarchy
Apr 6, 2010, 2:39 PM
I don' think this project has been mentioned yet - some infill on May Street.

http://www.reddoorrealty.ca/photos/750058_STREETVIEW-RHF-LOWRES_medium.jpg

May Street Condos - Brand new construction and custom design by Norman Flynn Developments. Quality high-end finishings that include a combination of walnut floors and 12"x24" porcelain tiles as well as in-floor radiant heat on all levels. A custom steel and glass staircase connects over 1500 sq. ft. of living space with an added bonus of a south-facing private courtyard (14'x25'6). See the "additional details" and "floor plans" sections for all particulars. See the showroom at Norman Flynn - 2698 Agricola Street.

Units range from $400,000 to $500,000.

More info./images here at Red Door Realty (http://www.reddoorrealty.ca/details.asp?ID=399)

phrenic
Apr 6, 2010, 3:12 PM
Want.

haligonia
Apr 6, 2010, 6:23 PM
:previous:
Those look really nice!
I'm guessing that the white bit is the NFD building on Agricola, so these will be built behind that, on the south side of May between Fern and Agricola. I have no issues with the structures, but I think that there will be a tough sell; gentrification is slowly starting to happen on this side of North, however the area is still very gritty. Grittiness is not a bad thing; in fact I know of some people who love the urban grittiness of the north end. But, it is not something that is coherent with half a million dollar condos.

someone123
Apr 6, 2010, 9:23 PM
Looks like this is mostly on the little empty lot on the south side of May Street, halfway down the block just west of Agricola..? Apparently there's also a small house that would be demolished. Looks good.

planarchy
Apr 6, 2010, 9:46 PM
Looks like this is mostly on the little empty lot on the south side of May Street, halfway down the block just west of Agricola..? Apparently there's also a small house that would be demolished. Looks good.

Here is a link to the site location -

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=may+street+halifax&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=47.948551,135.263672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=May+St,+Halifax,+Halifax+County,+Nova+Scotia&ll=44.657092,-63.595841&spn=0.006418,0.016512&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=44.657038,-63.595762&panoid=M1cqX9Y3F6ej0rRaPtud5w&cbp=12,206.33,,0,2.11

The small yellow house immediately adjacent to NFD will be removed.

halifaxboyns
Apr 6, 2010, 10:23 PM
Here is a link to the site location -

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=may+street+halifax&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=47.948551,135.263672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=May+St,+Halifax,+Halifax+County,+Nova+Scotia&ll=44.657092,-63.595841&spn=0.006418,0.016512&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=44.657038,-63.595762&panoid=M1cqX9Y3F6ej0rRaPtud5w&cbp=12,206.33,,0,2.11

The small yellow house immediately adjacent to NFD will be removed.

Interesting location - I always thought that Argyle street should have had taller buildings though - maybe no higher than the existing Aliant Central office, but still something taller.

Keith P.
Apr 7, 2010, 2:12 PM
I see in allnovascotia.com today that the NSLC seems to have committed (or at least showed some serious intent) to be a tenant in whatever gets developed on the SGR parking lot at the corner of Queen and Clyde. It says it wants to consolidate its existing Clyde St store with the Port of Wines up on Doyle and make one new big shiny store facing on Queen St. in the new development.

Hopefully this will help kickstart that development, though HRM needs to get off its collective duff and finally offer the parcel for sale.

-Harlington-
Apr 7, 2010, 6:43 PM
This parcel of land is a good thing for spring garden as it will add more retail space to an already and maybe even only good downtown area left in the city.
this the new library, city center and the new chickenburger, the area is going to be getting better and better.

someone123
Apr 7, 2010, 7:17 PM
I saw that too. It's been talked about for a while, which makes one wonder even more why the city still hasn't sold off the land. The whole process has moved at a glacial pace - perhaps the reason why it's actually happening now is that they've already spent the money that's supposed to come from the land sales. The Spring Garden Road improvements were delayed too. It feels like things are sort of adrift and people do the bare minimum of work rather than pushing things along.

All that aside, it makes a lot of sense to look at major retail down Queen Street as an extension to Spring Garden Road.

Another possibility is improvements to buildings from South Park to Summer Street along Spring Garden Road. There are a number of sites that could accommodate medium-sized buildings with storefronts. Past development along that stretch really was not designed properly.

Barrington south
Apr 7, 2010, 9:47 PM
I live in the greystones, so any devlopment on the clyde street lots will directly impeade my veiw, yet I am excited about the potential this will have for the area... so I am definiatly looking forward to this moving ahead.......finally

Keith P.
Apr 8, 2010, 2:01 AM
I live in the greystones, so any devlopment on the clyde street lots will directly impeade my veiw, yet I am excited about the potential this will have for the area... so I am definiatly looking forward to this moving ahead.......finally

Yes, that majestic view of the parking lots must be absolutely breathtaking on a summer's day... :haha:

someone123
Apr 8, 2010, 8:55 AM
The NFB Building development was reviewed by the HAC today. Unfortunately, the document links are not working, but I would guess that we'll see some renderings soon.

beyeas
Apr 8, 2010, 12:29 PM
It feels like things are sort of adrift and people do the bare minimum of work rather than pushing things along.

In Halifax? Surely not! :haha:

someone123
Apr 8, 2010, 11:57 PM
The links have been fixed. The NFB development report is available here: http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/hac/documents/BarringtonStreetHeritageNFB.pdf

The scans are very poor, but they show that the developer intends to build apartments behind the facade, put in retail at ground level, and restore the original tower on the building. There are to be 4 levels of apartments above what's now the Argyle - presumably they intend to demolish the bottom storey. Not sure what the style of the Argyle facade will be since there's no elevation provided.

Really hope this one moves forward quickly because even though it's a small development it would have a huge difference in terms of the appearance of Barrington Street. The facade right now looks like something out of a run-down part of Detroit.

The Green Lantern Building is similar and they talk about how the city is providing incentives for work there as well. Has anything been done yet?

Keith P.
Apr 9, 2010, 12:18 AM
I remain convinced that the best thing that could happen to the NFB site is an extended encounter with a Cat D10 bulldozer.

hfx_chris
Apr 9, 2010, 1:55 AM
I remain convinced that the best thing that could happen to the NFB site is an extended encounter with a Cat D10 bulldozer.
But it already had that encounter, after the fire when they demolished everything but the facade. That's the harm in cleaning up and maintaining the facade, with a new building behind?

Jonovision
Apr 9, 2010, 2:29 AM
That's awesome that they are restoring the tower on top. I didn't even know it originally had one.
Is that a light well in the middle or just the elevator lobbies?

Barrington south
Apr 9, 2010, 4:11 PM
Yes, that majestic view of the parking lots must be absolutely breathtaking on a summer's day... :haha:

i like my lots.....:P
i'm in the top floor so my veiw goes beyond the lots ...:cool: .....even a small water veiw

JET
Apr 9, 2010, 4:20 PM

It's good that we don't all agree. It will look great with the facade fixed up and the tower restored. If they plan to replace the tower it gives hope that they will do the whole restoration well. JET

spaustin
Apr 9, 2010, 6:21 PM
The city would be wise to give them the max incentives outlined in the report. If they're going to rebuild the tower, that's better than I think anyone could have hoped for or expected. From the little info there is available, this looks like it'll be a good project!

macgregor
Apr 10, 2010, 11:53 PM
The balcony concrete "railings" on the back side of Park Victoria are being removed. I hope they are replaced with something better looking.

The Capreit website shows a picture of the building with glass railings. I'm not sure if these were already replaced on the front, but google street view shows the concrete ones on the front. I would assume that the picture below was rendered.

http://www.capreit.net/Properties/PropertyImage.aspx?ImageURL=/assets/0/83/429/eadecd4c-3c37-4488-a8d2-2b6deccde8fe.jpg&ImageDescription=Building+front&PropertyID=1909&PropertyTitle=Park%20Victoria%20Apartments

someone123
Apr 11, 2010, 12:24 AM
It looks like it's a combined atrium and elevator shaft between the two parts of the NFB development. They have a roof above the first level in the rendering plus the elevator entrance and exits on floors above and below.

I wish there were better renderings, but I get the sense that this could actually become a handsome building. The plan is to significantly improve the ground floor by opening up all of the windows and bringing the front door down to street level.

Here's a shot of the present ground floor. Terrible:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/2/1545834_9edbe37d8d_o.jpg
Source (http://www.flickr.com/photos/theyoush/1545834/)

fenwick16
Apr 11, 2010, 1:50 AM
The balcony concrete "railings" on the back side of Park Victoria are being removed. I hope they are replaced with something better looking.

The Capreit website shows a picture of the building with glass railings. I'm not sure if these were already replaced on the front, but google street view shows the concrete ones on the front. I would assume that the picture below was rendered.

http://www.capreit.net/Properties/PropertyImage.aspx?ImageURL=/assets/0/83/429/eadecd4c-3c37-4488-a8d2-2b6deccde8fe.jpg&ImageDescription=Building+front&PropertyID=1909&PropertyTitle=Park%20Victoria%20Apartments

This will make a big difference. I wish that they would replace the panels below the windows with something more modern.

Is there opposition from Heritage Trust - surely Park Victoria Tower must be a heritage building by now? Although I am not serious about Park Victoria Apartments being a heritage building, I wonder how long it will be before it is on the protected list (another 30 - 40 years)? How about the Dominion Public Building (built in 1936)? Is this considered to be a heritage building (I think that it should be).

fenwick16
Apr 11, 2010, 1:59 AM
It looks like it's a combined atrium and elevator shaft between the two parts of the NFB development. They have a roof above the first level in the rendering plus the elevator entrance and exits on floors above and below.

I wish there were better renderings, but I get the sense that this could actually become a handsome building. The plan is to significantly improve the ground floor by opening up all of the windows and bringing the front door down to street level.

Here's a shot of the present ground floor. Terrible:
This building certainly is worth restoring. I really like the exterior especially the pictures in the windows. Too bad that the interior was gutted by fire.

Modern building codes have greatly decreased the threat of fire in cities - something that is never mentioned by heritage people who are against tall buildings (very seldom does one burn down). In the olden days (long before I was born), major fires would often burn several blocks of cities that were primarily built of wood or wood and brick.

Dmajackson
Apr 11, 2010, 2:30 AM
Just a shot I took today of the new boardwalk section being built;

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2078/4509715162_52528a26de_b.jpg

Empire
Apr 11, 2010, 1:15 PM
This will make a big difference. I wish that they would replace the panels below the windows with something more modern.

Is there opposition from Heritage Trust - surely Park Victoria Tower must be a heritage building by now? Although I am not serious about Park Victoria Apartments being a heritage building, I wonder how long it will be before it is on the protected list (another 30 - 40 years)? How about the Dominion Public Building (built in 1936)? Is this considered to be a heritage building (I think that it should be).

I think the Dominion Public Building is the best highrise in Halifax in its category. This is a result of quality design and quality materials. If developers were to design buildings with a similar style, especially on Barrington St. or in close proximity to hertiage buildings I think they would get a better reception from HT.

fenwick16
Apr 11, 2010, 2:42 PM
I think the Dominion Public Building is the best highrise in Halifax in it's category. This is a result of quality design and quality materials. If developers were to design buildings with a similar style, especially on Barrington St. or in close proximity to hertiage buildings I think they would get a better reception from HT.

I think that the Dominion Public Building is a quality building from the 1930's era and I hope that it will be a heritage building (if it isn't already). I believe that maintaining a historic theme along Barrington Street is important.

The Heritage Trust would have a much better reception if they could change their way of thinking which, in my opinion, is that anything tall and modern is bad. This is not going to win the Heritage Trust any support from groups (I believe to be the majority) that desire modern buildings like the United Gulf towers.

The Heritage Trust could fight to save heritage buildings and embrace modern buildings and development that will make Halifax a better place to live. By taking their own one-sided path of opposing anything tall and modern, they have alienated the majority of people. They have lost touch with reality in thinking that their opinions reflect the opinions of the majority. A good example of this is their fight to save the view from the Citadel - something that most people don't really care about.

I am fed-up with the Heritage Trust and their views. I would like to see them supplanted by another group with a more modern way of thinking (perhaps the Fusion group) that will strive to maintain important heritage buildings while allowing modern buildings - in other words be open to the opinions of the majority.

Empire
Apr 11, 2010, 3:43 PM
HT and groups like them need to embrace modern design like Purdy`s Wharf, 1801 Hollis, UG towers etc. These modern buildings add great diversity and are generally accepted by the masses. Just look at the postcards of only Purdy's buildings. Where the gray area lies, IMO, is when developers try to pass buildings such as the Roy and Discovery Centre off as modern design. These proposals fall far short of Purdy's or UG Texpark towers. I think in cases like this the developer should beef up the modern design or go with a Dominion Public Building look with a modern twist. The Alexandra is one design that leans in this direction.

fenwick16
Apr 11, 2010, 4:47 PM
HT and groups like them need to embrace modern design like Purdy`s Wharf, 1801 Hollis, UG towers etc. These modern buildings add great diversity and are generally accepted by the masses. Just look at the postcards of only Purdy's buildings. Where the gray area lies, IMO, is when developers try to pass buildings such as the Roy and Discovery Centre off as modern design. These proposals fall far short of Purdy's or UG Texpark towers. I think in cases like this the developer should beef up the modern design or go with a Dominion Public Building look with a modern twist. The Alexandra is one design that leans in this direction.

I completely agree, Purdy`s Wharf, 1801 Hollis, UG Towers are all developments that I consider to be first rate. I also like the Alexander design - does anyone know when it will proceed - downtown needs a lot more residential buildings.

someone123
Apr 11, 2010, 11:12 PM
Well part of the issue is that there are and there have been bad developments in Halifax. I think the Heritage Trust are justified in complaining about the Maritime Centre or Scotia Square. The problem is that they and some others now have a prejudice against modern development. To some degree this isn't surprising because there aren't many examples of high-quality highrise developments downtown from the last few years. We've seen proposals but nothing built so there's no modern example of a downtown highrise that looks nice, complements heritage buildings, and contributes positively to street life.

spaustin
Apr 12, 2010, 2:56 AM
I think that the Dominion Public Building is a quality building from the 1930's era and I hope that it will be a heritage building (if it isn't already). I believe that maintaining a historic theme along Barrington Street is important.

The Dominion Public Building is a federally recognized heritage building, which provides it with some protection. More importantly, the owner (the federal government, PWGSC) is serious about preserving it. The tower was recently restored even though there is no usable space inside because it can't meet the fire code. They took the tower apart brick by brick and then put it back together again with a new copper roof. Here's a pic I snapped of it from the top floor of the Centennial Building the other day.

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/2245/pics010a.jpg

hfx_chris
Apr 12, 2010, 3:15 AM
I have to admit, I much preferred the old dome.

By the way spaustin, did you go up to take a tour of the tower when they had it open? I was going to, but I just wasn't able to find the time.

cormiermax
Apr 12, 2010, 3:24 AM
no usable space inside because it can't meet the fire code.

So it's completely empty inside?

spaustin
Apr 12, 2010, 4:50 AM
Chris, that's the exact same thing that happened to me. I kept meaning to book a slot in one of the tour groups, but I had so much to do, I just never got around to it and then it was too late. Next reno :) Cormier, yes, there is no usable space in the Tower portion beyond the 7th floor. 8th floor and up is unusable due to fire regulations. Back when the fire code wasn't so strict there were offices in the tower. During World War II, the guy (can't remember his name right now) in charge of media censorship had his office up there. I don't know when they stopped using it.

Empire
Apr 12, 2010, 4:59 AM
The Dominion Public Building is a federally recognized heritage building, which provides it with some protection. More importantly, the owner (the federal government, PWGSC) is serious about preserving it. The tower was recently restored even though there is no usable space inside because it can't meet the fire code. They took the tower apart brick by brick and then put it back together again with a new copper roof. Here's a pic I snapped of it from the top floor of the Centennial Building the other day.

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/2245/pics010a.jpg

Excellent photo. It's too bad we don`t have more buildings like this. The feds have done a great job restoring it. There must be a way around the fire code issue?

someone123
Apr 13, 2010, 11:29 PM
The Dominion Public Building, Bank of Nova Scotia, Province House, and old post office are all very nice heritage buildings that should be carefully preserved.

Unfortunately some others are gone - the customs house, Royal Bank, Bank of Montreal, and two more stone office buildings next to the Halifax Club where the Joseph Howe building now stands.

sdm
Apr 15, 2010, 1:55 AM
I found this quote from the mayor of Hamilton, Bermuda Sutherland Madeiros that i really like. Too bad we don't have a mayor like him.

'If you try to restrict the height of buildings, your grandchildren and great grandchildren will look back and say how short sighted you were with a shortage of land, not letting buildings go higher in the city,' he told the Royal Gazette newspaper.

Dmajackson
Apr 15, 2010, 2:21 AM
I found this quote from the mayor of Hamilton, Bermuda Sutherland Madeiros that i really like. Too bad we don't have a mayor like him.

'If you try to restrict the height of buildings, your grandchildren and great grandchildren will look back and say how short sighted you were with a shortage of land, not letting buildings go higher in the city,' he told the Royal Gazette newspaper.

Well in Bermuda I don't imagine building out is much of an option given the land size ... If you can't build out build up.

fenwick16
Apr 15, 2010, 5:17 AM
Based on a story in the allnovascotia.com, some councillors are threatening to show municipal CAO, Dan English, the door for his criticism of proposed cuts in city staff.

To me, it sounds like very poor diplomacy by city councillors; of course Dan English should be annoyed, they are talking about cutting staff and getting municipal employees concerned unnecessarily. The city is growing - so the municipal staff workers are probably already under an increased work load and now they are being told that some should lose their jobs.

The councillors aren't going on the record as saying that the number of councillors should be cut, or that city councillor salaries should be cut. If that were the case, then I am sure that some councillors would be complaining. Maybe in the 2012 election some of the municipal councillors will be shown the door. Especially the ones who don't understand diplomacy; if they are going to talk about laying people off, then don't make it a news story - if they do make it a news story then show Dan English some understanding for defending his staff. (PS: I have never met him, I have only read his name in the news)

someone123
Apr 15, 2010, 5:49 AM
Here is an interesting comparison of the number of people on council:

Vancouver (population ~580,000) - 11
Halifax - 24
Toronto (population 2,500,000+) - 45

sdm
Apr 15, 2010, 9:48 AM
Here is an interesting comparison of the number of people on council:

Vancouver (population ~580,000) - 11
Halifax - 24
Toronto (population 2,500,000+) - 45

Boston has 13. (population 620,535)

It is very apparent that we have far too many councilors

Dmajackson
Apr 15, 2010, 11:26 AM
Shopping centre reinventing itself
Mumford Road space to house doctors, clinics
By BRUCE ERSKINE Business Reporter
Thu. Apr 15 - 4:55 AM

The Access Nova Scotia space in the Halifax Shopping Centre annex on Mumford Road is being transformed into a medical services centre.

"The building is being refocused," said Linda Townsend, Halifax marketing director for 20 Vic Management Inc., which manages the shopping centre for its owner, the Ontario Pension Board.

The new medical space will extend from The Bay to Winners and will include doctors’ offices and specialty clinics, Townsend said in an interview Wednesday.

"It’s under development right now," she said.

Townsend didn’t disclose the building’s new tenants but said the reconfigured space is expected to be complete by the spring of 2011.

The Access Nova Scotia office, which issues driver’s licences, vehicle registration permits, birth and marriage certificates and various business licences, is moving to 300 Horseshoe Lake Dr. in the Bayers Lake Business Park, effective Oct. 1.

The Mumford Road location is the only one in Halifax, and some have complained that moving it to Bayers Lake is inconvenient and will harm the environment by forcing many to drive or use transit to get there.

Service Nova Scotia and Municipal Relations, the government department responsible for the centres, said the move was necessary because the Mumford Road lease was expiring and the landlord chose not to re-offer on the department’s request for proposals.

Department spokeswoman Angel Limgenco said the original location plans for the centre were changed to meet its space requirements.

"We understand that it is a change, but it has ample parking and is on a bus route," she said in an interview Wednesday.

Limgenco said there are Access Nova Scotia offices in Dartmouth and Lower Sackville, and services are also available online.

( berskine@herald.ca )

Phalanx
Apr 15, 2010, 5:27 PM
I'm going to miss that Access Nova Scotia site... it's the one I used. It's far more convenient than going out to Bayers Lake.

cormiermax
Apr 15, 2010, 5:41 PM
I'm going to miss it as well, moving it to bears lake is ridicules.

alps
Apr 15, 2010, 6:19 PM
Horrible move. The current location is a nice middle ground between the areas it serves -- the peninsula and the mainland, with a big bus terminal to boot. They should look into moving it into one of the new developments at the Bayers Road Shopping Centre or something close by. Everyone that lives close to Bayers Lake has a car anyway...it'll take me over an hour to get there by bus. So backwards -- might as well move city hall out to Dartmouth Crossing like I vaguely remember one councillor suggesting.

someone123
Apr 15, 2010, 6:28 PM
"Is on a bus route" is kind of like saying "is on a road".

Empire
Apr 15, 2010, 7:35 PM
Boston has 13. (population 620,535)

It is very apparent that we have far too many councilors

If we axe 14 councilors immediately, then we would have $1,008,000 a year to put into a stadium fund. Let's start with the councilors most vehemently opposed the stadium.

Keith P.
Apr 15, 2010, 8:41 PM
If we axe 14 councilors immediately, then we would have $1,008,000 a year to put into a stadium fund. Let's start with the councilors most vehemently opposed the stadium.

I dunno about that, but if I had to fire 14 of them, it would be:

1. Dawn Sloane
2. Jim Smith
3. Mary Wile
4. Jennifer Watts
5. Jerry Blumenthal
6. David Hendsbee
7. Reg Rankin
8. Brad Johns
9. Jackie Barkhouse
10. Debbie Hum
11. Steve Adams (only for his taxi commission stance)
12. Russell Walker
13. Linda Mosher
14. Peter Kelly (saving the worst for first and last)

DigitalNinja
Apr 15, 2010, 9:19 PM
Whose idea was it to hire all of the councelors. They should be fired first.

someone123
Apr 15, 2010, 10:07 PM
What I've often wondered is whether or not larger districts would result in better councillors. Pay could also be increased somewhat so that it would be competitive with professional salaries - in other words, it would be plausible for somebody who isn't independently wealthy to take time out from a real career to be a councillor for a single term. Ever notice how narrow council's demographics tend to be?

The city only really needs maybe 6 councillors (officially hired on full time) plus the mayor. One thing that would definitely improve with the lower numbers, all else being equal, is that council meetings would be shorter and more coherent.

hfx_chris
Apr 15, 2010, 11:50 PM
I'm going to miss that Access Nova Scotia site... it's the one I used. It's far more convenient than going out to Bayers Lake.

You go there often?

Phalanx
Apr 16, 2010, 3:02 AM
Of course not, but given that there are always people there, it's not just about convenience for one or two people. Given enough people with enough reason to use it, it adds up. As noted by someone else Bayers Lake isn't exactly a great location for those of us without cars. I don't think I'm the only one on the forum, or in Halifax that's in that situation...

fenwick16
Apr 16, 2010, 3:35 AM
I am not sure where the thread is for this; the allnovascotia.com is reporting that the 50 Bedford Highway Bayview Motel Inn Tower will proceed in the spring 2011. This looks like 21-22 storeys on top of a 2-3 storey podium. Looks like the tallest to be built in Halifax in many years. It might not be beaten until the 32 storey King's Wharf tower is built.

They are building on the site of past developments so they don't expect to have problems with unmarked graves as has been reported.

The rendering looks like one that was previously posted (allnovascotia.com uses software that prevents the rendering from being posted here). I have to give allnovascotia.com credit, they seem to have very good sources.

Phalanx
Apr 16, 2010, 4:35 AM
It's in the Suburb forum. Click here (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164192).

fenwick16
Apr 16, 2010, 4:41 AM
Thanks. I will repost it there.

Jstaleness
Apr 16, 2010, 2:07 PM
I dunno about that, but if I had to fire 14 of them, it would be:

1. Dawn Sloane
2. Jim Smith
3. Mary Wile
4. Jennifer Watts
5. Jerry Blumenthal
6. David Hendsbee
7. Reg Rankin
8. Brad Johns
9. Jackie Barkhouse
10. Debbie Hum
11. Steve Adams (only for his taxi commission stance)
12. Russell Walker
13. Linda Mosher
14. Peter Kelly (saving the worst for first and last)

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu360/jstaleness/pete.jpg

reddog794
Apr 16, 2010, 4:53 PM
He looks either high, or giddy at the fact he fooled us into electing him again...

I like your list Keith, I was thinking about the same thing in the shower this morning. I could come up with 8 council seats, Penn, DT, Main, Clayton, Dart, Dart E/CH, Bed, Sack, and then the Mayor.

someone123
Apr 16, 2010, 8:12 PM
Allnovascotia announced two new retail openings for Barrington: a Starbucks for the old Tim Horton's location and a wine bar for the Frozen Ocean spot.

haligonia
Apr 16, 2010, 9:18 PM
Starbucks must be in some sort of expansion; there are now three opening soon. Barrington, The one across from the hydrostone, and the one in the old Dairy Queen spot at mill cove in Bedford.

That's fantastic news though. It's always good to have openings and not closings. And once the Espace is completed, i think that modern, renovated heritage space should be appealing to retailers, and the space should fill
up, no problem.

Barrington's future is looking up!

someone123
Apr 16, 2010, 9:37 PM
As I have said I am optimistic about Barrington because the economy of the city is doing well and there is demand for new construction downtown. The "fuel" for Barrington's recovery is there, it has just been held back until recently.

Another factor in a bunch of recent closings (though not all) is simply a changing retail business in general. Carsand-Mosher was a nice store but their business is half gone since the switch over to digital photography and online sales. The same thing goes with some types of book stores and Amazon. I don't feel bad about stores closing when the online services are better.

Jstaleness
Apr 17, 2010, 12:34 PM
Shopping centre reinventing itself
Mumford Road space to house doctors, clinics
By BRUCE ERSKINE Business Reporter
Thu. Apr 15 - 4:55 AM

The Access Nova Scotia space in the Halifax Shopping Centre annex on Mumford Road is being transformed into a medical services centre.

"The building is being refocused," said Linda Townsend, Halifax marketing director for 20 Vic Management Inc., which manages the shopping centre for its owner, the Ontario Pension Board.

The new medical space will extend from The Bay to Winners and will include doctors’ offices and specialty clinics, Townsend said in an interview Wednesday.

"It’s under development right now," she said.

Townsend didn’t disclose the building’s new tenants but said the reconfigured space is expected to be complete by the spring of 2011.

The Access Nova Scotia office, which issues driver’s licences, vehicle registration permits, birth and marriage certificates and various business licences, is moving to 300 Horseshoe Lake Dr. in the Bayers Lake Business Park, effective Oct. 1.

The Mumford Road location is the only one in Halifax, and some have complained that moving it to Bayers Lake is inconvenient and will harm the environment by forcing many to drive or use transit to get there.

Service Nova Scotia and Municipal Relations, the government department responsible for the centres, said the move was necessary because the Mumford Road lease was expiring and the landlord chose not to re-offer on the department’s request for proposals.

Department spokeswoman Angel Limgenco said the original location plans for the centre were changed to meet its space requirements.

"We understand that it is a change, but it has ample parking and is on a bus route," she said in an interview Wednesday.

Limgenco said there are Access Nova Scotia offices in Dartmouth and Lower Sackville, and services are also available online.

( berskine@herald.ca )

I forget who the interview was with but on News 95.7 this morning they had a spokesperson for Access Nova Scotia. She said they were unable to obtain a new lease agreement with the current location. She also claimed that there was "no" space on the peninsula for them? I find that hard to believe. She said nothing about needing more space like the article states. Wouldn't they need less space with some services being available online?

someone123
Apr 17, 2010, 8:11 PM
Wouldn't they need less space with some services being available online?

It's the NS government. There's probably still a separate horse and buggy registry with an expensive lease somewhere.

sdm
Apr 18, 2010, 1:50 AM
I forget who the interview was with but on News 95.7 this morning they had a spokesperson for Access Nova Scotia. She said they were unable to obtain a new lease agreement with the current location. She also claimed that there was "no" space on the peninsula for them? I find that hard to believe. She said nothing about needing more space like the article states. Wouldn't they need less space with some services being available online?

there was no space on the peninsula because as part of the tender they requested 150 parking stalls.

fenwick16
Apr 18, 2010, 2:22 AM
When I want to get my vehicle renewal stickers, I can go to a local automated kiosk (like a large ATM) and use my credit card to get the renewal stickers (I am in the Milton, Ontario area). So I only have to go to a vehicle licence center once every few years.

Keith P.
Apr 18, 2010, 1:02 PM
When I want to get my vehicle renewal stickers, I can go to a local automated kiosk (like a large ATM) and use my credit card to get the renewal stickers (I am in the Milton, Ontario area). So I only have to go to a vehicle licence center once every few years.

But you forget, this is Nova Scotia. A substantial percentage of citizens refuse to accept any change from the old way of doing things. They would prefer to have all registrations expire March 31st and have a lineup of hundreds of people at the counter that day.

Having said all that, this is an atrocious location choice.

fenwick16
Apr 18, 2010, 1:23 PM
But you forget, this is Nova Scotia. A substantial percentage of citizens refuse to accept any change from the old way of doing things. They would prefer to have all registrations expire March 31st and have a lineup of hundreds of people at the counter that day.

Having said all that, this is an atrocious location choice.

I didn't know that all registrations expire March 31st of each year. In Ontario, registrations expire on the car owners birthday so the expiration dates are averaged equally throughout the year. What is the logic behind having them all expire on March 31?

planarchy
Apr 19, 2010, 11:36 PM
Something for the Halifax Grain Towers??

http://www.emergingterrain.org/storedpotential/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/storedpotential01.jpg

Saw this today and was thinking about the possibilities for the grain towers in Halifax.

As Midwest metropolitan landscapes undergo change — from agrarian to suburban — the systems of earlier settlement become obsolete; farmsteads, rail, grain silos, etc. Many of these are demolished to make way for the new, with the exception of the mid-century concrete grain elevators and their assembled silos. Thick, heavily engineered construction renders them too expensive for demolition. These structures, with their economic condition and cultural narrative, are opportunity for compelling regional land use discourse.

Emerging Terrain is spearheading a collaborative endeavor to repurpose a derelict, yet iconic, historic landscape structure as contemporary cultural awareness. Creative minds nationwide will submit ideas for 20’ x 80’ images to hang on the exterior of a vacant grain elevator near downtown Omaha. Concurrent with fall harvest, a dinner table at the base of the elevator will host an epic dinner to celebrate the exhibition.

http://www.emergingterrain.org/storedpotential/