PDA

View Full Version : General Updates and News

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 [114] 115 116 117 118

kph06
Sep 12, 2023, 2:41 PM
Anyone knows what's going on the gas station at Inglis St.? It looks like repair/maintenance, but I was hopeful it was going to be replace with high density habitation. It seems a waste to have this one so close to the one at Barrington St. (~500m)
https://i.imgur.com/i2ZxzC0h.jpeg

It looks like new tanks and underground infrastructure. That station changed to Irving recently, and there aren't many in the area, so I'd say its there for the long run. Behind on Mitchell street is in the development queue with Dexel though which is very promising.

Dmajackson
Sep 17, 2023, 3:19 PM
Demolition Permit has been submitted for 2688 ROBIE STREET, HALIFAX formerly home to HalCraft Printers. Assuming they own the vacant lot in front (2696 Robie) this means a development area of 19'000 sq ft in Centre-2 zoning. The lot fronts onto Robie Street and King Street.

Building Permit submitted for 507 HERRING COVE ROAD, HALIFAX to allow for a 62-unit, 4-storey residential building. This is 100 metres south of Greystone Drive.

teddifax
Sep 17, 2023, 3:45 PM
What height is permitted in this area?

Dmajackson
Sep 18, 2023, 12:55 AM
What height is permitted in this area?

Robie Street's Centre-2 zoning allows for 90 metres so long as the F.A.R. is met. The F.A.R. on the Robie/King/St Albans/North block is 3.5.

19'000 X 3.5 = ~66'500 sq ft building allowed on site.

fatscat
Sep 19, 2023, 7:40 PM
Looks like the new developments on Scot/Joe Howe have some signage, including a site. Unfortunately I missed capturing the site name. The Fairway Halifax, or similar.

The "Water views" is kind of hilarious to me. Oooh, the Fairview Cove Terminal and basin! Technically a water view, but desirable? Idk :haha:

https://i.imgur.com/jKlcFxL.jpgp

teddifax
Sep 19, 2023, 7:53 PM
Thank you, I wish it was even higher!!!

Jreeb
Sep 20, 2023, 12:30 PM
This reminds me of The Margaretta in downtown.

Arrdeeharharharbour
Sep 20, 2023, 12:37 PM
Looks like the new developments on Scot/Joe Howe have some signage, including a site. Unfortunately I missed capturing the site name. The Fairway Halifax, or similar.

The "Water views" is kind of hilarious to me. Oooh, the Fairview Cove Terminal and basin! Technically a water view, but desirable? Idk :haha:

I've been up as high as the 5th floor in the Granbury looking down at Fairview Cove, the MacKay bridge and the basin and I suggest it's an enviable view to have. Certainly much better than looking at a neighbour's mangy backyard shed or a vinyl clad bad reno across the street.

IanWatson
Sep 20, 2023, 1:21 PM
Robie Street's Centre-2 zoning allows for 90 metres so long as the F.A.R. is met. The F.A.R. on the Robie/King/St Albans/North block is 3.5.

19'000 X 3.5 = ~66'500 sq ft building allowed on site.

AllNS has a story on it today. Same owners as the Ventura on Young. This one is planned to be 10 storeys with 60 units, which would align pretty well with your FAR calculations.

coastalkid
Sep 20, 2023, 1:50 PM
New FBM office on Cunard coming along - nice looking infill for the street.

https://i.imgur.com/0Yf7cb2h.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6UWTY1Hh.jpg

new2halifax
Sep 20, 2023, 2:21 PM
New FBM office on Cunard coming along - nice looking infill for the street.

https://i.imgur.com/6UWTY1Hh.jpg

Indeed! Though a bit out of place with the rest of the street.

kph06
Sep 21, 2023, 12:20 AM

I drove by, “thefairwayhalifax.ca”. I don’t think it’s live yet. Also an Instagram account, but also not active live. It looks like the other corner is being prepped for more than just a lay down yard. I also think the long vacant excavation across Joe Howe will be picking up soon. This will be quite an active corridor.

Dartguard
Sep 21, 2023, 2:21 AM
Indeed! Though a bit out of place with the rest of the street.

The rest of the street will probably look like this development in ten years.

Insigne
Sep 21, 2023, 5:25 AM
[QUOTE=Dmajackson;10040292]Demolition Permit has been submitted for 2688 ROBIE STREET, HALIFAX formerly home to HalCraft Printers. Assuming they own the vacant lot in front (2696 Robie) this means a development area of 19'000 sq ft in Centre-2 zoning. The lot fronts onto Robie Street and King Street.

Wouldn't hold my breath on this one. The property only has about 50' frontage on Robie Street and was sold in 2021. The Mazda dealership service bay is attached. Probably an expansion of the Mazda dealership.

IanWatson
Sep 21, 2023, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE=Dmajackson;10040292]Demolition Permit has been submitted for 2688 ROBIE STREET, HALIFAX formerly home to HalCraft Printers. Assuming they own the vacant lot in front (2696 Robie) this means a development area of 19'000 sq ft in Centre-2 zoning. The lot fronts onto Robie Street and King Street.

Wouldn't hold my breath on this one. The property only has about 50' frontage on Robie Street and was sold in 2021. The Mazda dealership service bay is attached. Probably an expansion of the Mazda dealership.

It's going to be residential. Ten storeys, 60 units.

Drybrain
Sep 21, 2023, 1:55 PM
[QUOTE=Insigne;10042912]

It's going to be residential. Ten storeys, 60 units.

Any info on that anywhere?

Good to know--I believe as well that the Centre Plan zoning prohibits not only new dealerships but even the expansion onto new land of existing dealership uses, so while we do have way too many dealerships in this area, they at least shouldn't get any bigger, as Steele did a few years ago.

fatscat
Sep 21, 2023, 2:46 PM
[QUOTE=IanWatson;10042958]

Good to know--I believe as well that the Centre Plan zoning prohibits not only new dealerships but even the expansion onto new land of existing dealership uses, so while we do have way too many dealerships in this area, they at least shouldn't get any bigger, as Steele did a few years ago.

I did notice that Volvo is also opening up in Bayers Lake (near the new outpatient facility). Don't think this them moving out (not sure if they have any presence on the peninsula), but it might be a sign of eventual momentum out of the peninsula..

https://i.imgur.com/5FSTNAn.jpg

new2halifax
Sep 21, 2023, 3:04 PM
[QUOTE=Drybrain;10043041]

I did notice that Volvo is also opening up in Bayers Lake (near the new outpatient facility). Don't think this them moving out (not sure if they have any presence on the peninsula), but it might be a sign of eventual momentum out of the peninsula..

https://i.imgur.com/5FSTNAn.jpg

They are in the peninsula, right next to Porsche I think. Would be nice to see them close the peninsula location.

IanWatson
Sep 21, 2023, 3:57 PM

AllNS had the story yesterday. Same family as the Ventura on Young, and using WM Fares again for design. So I imagine it'll be pretty similar to the Ventura.

Dmajackson
Sep 22, 2023, 10:29 AM
Construction Management Plan - 3020-3040 Oxford Street (https://cdn.halifax.ca/sites/default/files/documents/business/planning-development/3020-3040-oxford-street-cmp-rev2-36388-august-9-2023_redacted.pdf)

Another infill along Oxford Street. There is a basic elevation drawing included.

Drybrain
Sep 22, 2023, 1:02 PM
Housing minister Sean Fraser wrote to the mayor this week (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/halifax-to-consider-ottawa-tweaks-for-housing-money-1.6974239) to say that Halifax won't get the housing accelerator funding it's applied for unless it ends single-family zoning citywide, and legalizing at least fourplexes in all residential zones.

Savage says council will discuss it soon; this follows similar letters sent to other cities in the past few weeks. Seems like the feds could end up achieving what local housing advocates couldn't, if council passes the required changes.

Colin May
Sep 22, 2023, 3:07 PM
Housing minister Sean Fraser wrote to the mayor this week (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/halifax-to-consider-ottawa-tweaks-for-housing-money-1.6974239) to say that Halifax won't get the housing accelerator funding it's applied for unless it ends single-family zoning citywide, and legalizing at least fourplexes in all residential zones.

Savage says council will discuss it soon; this follows similar letters sent to other cities in the past few weeks. Seems like the feds could end up achieving what local housing advocates couldn't, if council passes the required changes.
First class political posturing, but the CBC article does not refer to any approval of funding being contingent on ending single-family zoning.

Drybrain
Sep 22, 2023, 6:22 PM
First class political posturing, but the CBC article does not refer to any approval of funding being contingent on ending single-family zoning.

Among the minister's requirements for approving the funding are legalizing at least four units on every residential lot, citywide. Ergo, ending SFH zoning.

Colin May
Sep 22, 2023, 6:44 PM
Among the minister's requirements for approving the funding are legalizing at least four units on every residential lot, citywide. Ergo, ending SFH zoning.
Great way to lose votes. Our lot is 2,550 sq ft with a house built before the Halifax explosion. Next door is a SFH with 2,010 sg ft.
The home behind me is on a 1,980 ft lot
If either house burns down does he require a 4 unit new build ?
Where does the Minister state what you claim ?
Does a lot in Sheet Harbour have to have 4 units and does he specify the square footage per unit ?
Can I turn our house into a rooming house with 4 units after a fire burns the existing home to the ground ?

Drybrain
Sep 22, 2023, 7:13 PM
Great way to lose votes. Our lot is 2,550 sq ft with a house built before the Halifax explosion. Next door is a SFH with 2,010 sg ft.
Does a lot in Sheet Harbour have to have 4 units and does he specify the square footage per unit ?
Can I turn our house into a rooming house with 4 units after a fire burns the existing home to the ground ?

Click the link to the CBC article; it's in there. The idea isn't to require lots to be built with four units, but simply allow it. It won't prevent an individual or a developer from building single houses. It just won't prohibit them from building up to fourplexes if they prefer.

alps
Sep 22, 2023, 7:59 PM
Great way to lose votes.

Why do you think they are suddenly making these announcements?

The latest federal vote intention polling indicates that the Liberals trail the Conservatives even among younger voters. The reason for this is inaction on housing.

someone123
Sep 22, 2023, 10:27 PM
Click the link to the CBC article; it's in there. The idea isn't to require lots to be built with four units, but simply allow it. It won't prevent an individual or a developer from building single houses. It just won't prohibit them from building up to fourplexes if they prefer.

There is a bit of sleight of hand happening here where NIMBYs make it sound like they're on the side of property rights. But being allowed to build on your property is a right too, and arguably closer to the original intent of property ownership than claims about being free from shadows on your property, or noise, or traffic around your property.

Municipalities implement a ban on most medium or high density construction on most urban land in Canada, going down to even 2 or 3 units on a large building lot in many cases, and sometimes restricting density below the existing historical norm in some areas. The debate is about relaxing the ban.

I think Colin's probably out of touch here in that the Liberals are polling terribly and feel they have to scramble to implement policies like this. Far too late, and it's crazy that they didn't plan for the increased immigration flows they created, but better late than never I guess.

Keith P.
Sep 23, 2023, 12:25 PM
Of course, Mason has now stated that elimination of the ridiculously low height restriction from HRM's planning opus will be a problem for Council (that is on Bousquet's Blog, and he has become stingy in offering access to non-paywalled articles, so you cannot read that here). Quelle surprise. The arrogance and hubris of Council knows few bounds.

Dmajackson
Sep 24, 2023, 3:06 PM
Demolition permit submitted for 2652 KING STREET, HALIFAX. This is only a SUD but the zoning is Centre-2 and F.A.R. of 3.5 which would allow for a mid-rise if any adjacent lots are included.

kzt79
Sep 25, 2023, 11:13 AM

LOL a desperate scramble for votes is exactly why they're doing this.

fatscat
Sep 25, 2023, 1:16 PM
Demolition permit submitted for 2652 KING STREET, HALIFAX. This is only a SUD but the zoning is Centre-2 and F.A.R. of 3.5 which would allow for a mid-rise if any adjacent lots are included.

Can you clarify for us newbies to. zoning what "and F.A.R. of 3.5" as well as "SUD" means?

Thank you! :)

Jreeb
Sep 25, 2023, 1:53 PM
Can you clarify for us newbies to. zoning what "and F.A.R. of 3.5" as well as "SUD" means?

Hi Fatscat, F.A.R. means floor area ratio and it is the ratio of a buildings total floor area compared to the lot it sits on. So if a lot is 5,000 sf with a FAR of 3.5 then the building can have a maximum area of 17,500 sf.

I believe SUD stands for Special Use District however, I am not sure how that impacts the development in question. Would love to hear an explanation from someone.

Dmajackson
Sep 25, 2023, 3:41 PM

S.U.D. in this case I meant single-unit dwelling. Normally I don't post demolition permits for those unless it is attached to a known project or on a main street. King Street is neither of these but the Centre-2 zoning it has allows for significant densification.

F.A.R. is floor-area-ratio. It's a number which you multiply by the lot size to get get the maximum allowed square footage of a new build. For example a F.A.R. of 8 means a high-rise is allowed once other rules like setbacks, and max tower dimensions are considered. Centre-2 zoning has the highest F.A.R. allowed in the Regional Centre.

For this site the lot is very small by itself. No larger than 3'000 sq ft so only 10'500 sq ft on new build is allowed. If you add the empty lot next door it is 6'000 sq ft so now 21'000 sq ft is allowed.

Across King Street a 18-19'000 sq ft lot has a 10-storey, 60-unit building planned. Scale that down by a third and this site could have a 4-storey, 16-unit building. Add in the lot to the north and 6-storey is achievable.

Also should be noted that Clifton Recycling which is directly behind 2652 King Street has long been rumoured to be owned by a development company and will be redeveloped in the near-future. I think there is a good chance that 2652 King, 2660 King, and Clifton Recycling is a single development block and this is only the first demolition permit to start the process.

PDF - Maximum Floor Area Ratio Precints (Regional Centre) (https://cdn.halifax.ca/sites/default/files/documents/about-the-city/regional-community-planning/lub_rc_sch17-maximumfloorarearatioprecincts_22aug2022_0.pdf)

The F.A.R. of 8 at Shopper's (Robie @ Almon) is the one to watch in the coming years once they move the store into Richmond Yards.

hoser111
Sep 26, 2023, 3:32 AM
Halifax about halfway through Cogswell redevelopment project

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2266892867815

Phase 2 of Cogswell project to create more detours, delays in downtown Halifax

https://www.saltwire.com/halifax/news/phase-2-of-cogswell-project-to-create-more-detours-delays-in-downtown-halifax-100895505/

fatscat
Sep 26, 2023, 12:36 PM

The F.A.R. of 8 at Shopper's (Robie @ Almon) is the one to watch in the coming years once they move the store into Richmond Yards.

Wow, thank you! Such a great explanation and love the addition of the PDF for context around the city. Appreciate you taking the time to write that out. :cheers:

terrynorthend
Sep 26, 2023, 4:03 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that a FAR of 2.25 for the old Post Office in DT Dartmouth? How are they going to build a 30 floor building there?

IanWatson
Sep 26, 2023, 6:08 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that a FAR of 2.25 for the old Post Office in DT Dartmouth? How are they going to build a 30 floor building there?

There's a policy that allows adaptive reuse of heritage buildings by development agreement. It allows wide latitude to deviate from the standard rules, as long as you're maintaining/enhancing the heritage elements. The one thing you can't deviate from is maximum height, but in DT Dartmouth the max height is 90 metres.

teddifax
Sep 27, 2023, 3:11 AM
So not understanding FAR, how high can a building with a FAR of 8.0 be built? I hope it means the tallest building in HRM!!!

IanWatson
Sep 27, 2023, 12:09 PM
So not understanding FAR, how high can a building with a FAR of 8.0 be built? I hope it means the tallest building in HRM!!!

Depends on the lot size and whether or not there is a separate height limit applied to the lot.

FAR doesn’t directly dictate height. It controls how much gross floor area you’re allowed to build. If you have a 10,000 SF lot and an FAR of 2 you’re allowed to build 2 x 10,000 = 20,000 SF. Assuming no other restrictions (setbacks etc) you could cover the lot to 2 storeys, or half the lot to 4 storeys, or a quarter of the lot to 8 storeys, etc.

All that being said, the tallest as-of-right height permitted in the Regional Centre is 90 meters. At this location you’d certainly be competing for highest elevation of the top floor, since the 90 metres is also on top of almost the highest point on the Peninsula.

Jreeb
Sep 27, 2023, 12:29 PM

Viewpoint says the Shoppers lot is 52,639 sf so theoretically the total building area could be 421,112 sf (52,639 * 8). For comparison, the Tower A at Best St. Dartmouth Towers is 33 storeys and I believe anywhere from 250,000 sf to 300,000 sf. I can't remember the number but the Shoppers site would allow for more density than this.

Who knows if the city would ever allow this...but it does have a chance to become the tallest in the city, I believe. As mentioned the maximum height limit is 90m so the build would most likely be restricted to that.

I think you could get a more accurate number by estimating an average site coverage for the lot and then an average floor sf... maybe someone wants to take a stab at it.

terrynorthend
Sep 27, 2023, 2:56 PM
In the pdf map of FAR precincts linked above, the giant former Piercey's lot behind SDM has no FAR listing.
What gives with that site? It seems like it could hold substantial development given the character of the neighborhood growing around it.

HfxGuy
Sep 27, 2023, 4:27 PM
In the pdf map of FAR precincts linked above, the giant former Piercey's lot behind SDM has no FAR listing.
What gives with that site? It seems like it could hold substantial development given the character of the neighborhood growing around it.

I believe that’s designated as one of the special planning areas or whatever they’re called. Along with the Bayers rd centre, Micmac mall etc. 100% agree it can accommodate significant density. Hopefully we see some movement on that area soon.

alps
Sep 27, 2023, 4:43 PM
I believe that’s designated as one of the special planning areas or whatever they’re called. Along with the Bayers rd centre, Micmac mall etc. 100% agree it can accommodate significant density. Hopefully we see some movement on that area soon.

Not a Special Planning Area, which is a provincial thing, but a municipally designated Future Growth Node. Some Future Growth Nodes have also been designated Special Planning Areas by the province (e.g. Penhorn, Southdale/Mount Hope).

alps
Sep 27, 2023, 4:45 PM
By Rebecca Lau
Global News
Posted September 27, 2023 1:18 pm

The Nova Scotia and federal governments plans to build 222 new public housing units — the first time the province has added to its stock in nearly three decades.

During an announcement Tuesday, the province said the housing units will be made available to families, individuals and low-income seniors in rural and urban communities.

The units will be built on provincially-owned land close to existing public housing developments in Bridgewater, Kentville, Truro, as well as multiple locations in Cape Breton and Halifax Regional Municipality.

The province is pitching in $58.8 million to the project, while the federal government is contributing $24.4 million.

Public housing is residential space owned and operated by the government, with rent based on a household’s income rather than market rates.

The units will be operated by the Nova Scotia Provincial Housing Agency, a Crown corporation created in 2022 following a damning auditor general report that found the stock was poorly managed by the province’s five former housing authorities.

Nova Scotia has around 11,200 public housing units and the average age of the structures is 42 years. The last significant public housing project was completed in 1995.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9988823/nova-scotia-public-housing-announcement/

Better late than never. we need a lot more than this however.

mleblanc
Sep 27, 2023, 5:00 PM
Better late than never. we need a lot more than this however.

This is great news. Hopefully they don't stop at 200 units, we desperately need this.

Jstaleness
Sep 27, 2023, 5:08 PM
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/halifax-will-agree-to-most-federal-tweaks-for-housing-money-but-not-height-1.6979299

CBC.ca article.

Once again Waye is given the interview and disagrees height will make a difference.

Colin May
Sep 27, 2023, 7:19 PM
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/halifax-will-agree-to-most-federal-tweaks-for-housing-money-but-not-height-1.6979299

CBC.ca article.

Once again Waye is given the interview and disagrees height will make a difference.
He didn't want height or apartments or on the empty lots on the east side of Young Avenue where very rich people live on that section of the street. Now there are single family homes on what could have been high end apartments or medium priced apartments.
And he killed the student high rise housing proposal from a Montreal developer who specialised in the building of student accommodation.
NIMBYism at its finest.

Drybrain
Sep 27, 2023, 7:22 PM

CBC.ca article.

At four units per lot, it won't really make much difference. The quibbling over what amounts to one metre of building height is a bit silly, but fundamentally council endorsed the substance of the federal request.

someone123
Sep 27, 2023, 8:04 PM
At four units per lot, it won't really make much difference.

One of the dilemmas here in Vancouver is that if you take a $2M lot and build 4 units on it the price per unit is still unaffordable to most people. But that's much less true of a comparable $700k property in the inner suburbs of Halifax.

I hope it doesn't lead to the further decimation of unregistered historic buildings. It could work out really well if a bunch of bungalows get replaced.

Drybrain
Sep 27, 2023, 8:37 PM
One of the dilemmas here in Vancouver is that if you take a $2M lot and build 4 units on it the price per unit is still unaffordable to most people. But that's much less true of a comparable $700k property in the inner suburbs of Halifax.

I hope it doesn't lead to the further decimation of unregistered historic buildings. It could work out really well if a bunch of bungalows get replaced.

A lot of the historic areas already have zoning for two or three units, and it hasn't led to widespread demolition, so I'm optimistic it won't happen. Mason's amendment actually addressed this; the full text was to enable:

1. Four units per lot in all residential zones across the municipality

2. Changes to the regional centre secondary planning strategy and land-use bylaw that would enable more missing middle housing, with a focus on smaller, faster building form and construction, and wood frame construction, while ensuring water supply and wastewater capacity are considered, and existing and proposed heritage aras are exempted.

But that's a mouthful and the "changes" are not specified. Do they include the four units? Kind of unclear. The most straightforward thing to do would have been to upzone everything, except request to temporarily carve out the Centre Plan's proposed heritage districts (which cover relatively little land area but wrap quite conveniently around much of the most significant and visible intact historic areas in the city) while the city studies them for implementation.

Mason's amendment specifically mentions exempting the heritage areas, but isn't clear on whether they would be exempted from the four units. I think it makes sense to do that until they get passed (or not) which I understand could take years given understaffing in the heritage department.

Anyway, that was one of the main concerns around this, so hopefully it's being considered carefully. Even so, I'm not too worried about it--only a little worried. If builders are going to start looking at properties for redevelopment, it definitely makes sense to start targeting small, lower-value, unremarkable properties for replacement rather than the historic ones, which will tend to be more expensive to acquire and demolish. Of course, nothing is guaranteed.

someone123
Sep 28, 2023, 1:53 AM
I worry about neighbourhoods like around May and Agricola where there's distinct character but none of the buildings themselves are particularly historic or valuable. A more upscale version is somewhere like Jubilee-Robie-Henry. Sacrificing these small historic areas would make very little difference to the housing supply. I suspect the heritage areas with character are a lot more extensive than the districts currently in place.

A lot of it comes down to the style of development. The character of a lot of these areas can be enhanced with additions. A lot of the North End would just look better with 3 or 4 storey rows instead of 2 storey boxes. The South End is full of originally higher-end houses with apartment additions in back that have little impact on the streetscape, although the houses often aren't in the greatest shape. There isn't really much direct trade-off between character and density, but it has to be managed in a particular way.

worldlyhaligonian
Sep 28, 2023, 2:20 AM
I worry about neighbourhoods like around May and Agricola where there's distinct character but none of the buildings themselves are particularly historic or valuable. A more upscale version is somewhere like Jubilee-Robie-Henry. Sacrificing these small historic areas would make very little difference to the housing supply. I suspect the heritage areas with character are a lot more extensive than the districts currently in place.

A lot of it comes down to the style of development. The character of a lot of these areas can be enhanced with additions. A lot of the North End would just look better with 3 or 4 storey rows instead of 2 storey boxes. The South End is full of originally higher-end houses with apartment additions in back that have little impact on the streetscape, although the houses often aren't in the greatest shape. There isn't really much direct trade-off between character and density, but it has to be managed in a particular way.

On point analyses as usual!

Drybrain
Sep 28, 2023, 2:51 AM

Neither of those are in the Centre Plan’s proposed HCDs, but a pretty broad swath of other stuff is. They can be found here (https://cdn.halifax.ca/sites/default/files/documents/about-the-city/regional-community-planning/smps_rc_map20-proposedheritageconservationdistrictstudyareas_22aug2022.pdf). Again, though, I’m not sure how Mason’s amendment is intended to exempt them from development pressure, but apparently it is.

Arrdeeharharharbour
Sep 28, 2023, 4:09 PM
On one day we read about how the city is battling climate change effects through efforts such as permeable lots and the next we read how the city wants to increase coverage on building lots.

Empire
Sep 28, 2023, 4:28 PM
On one day we read about how the city is battling climate change effects through efforts such as permeable lots and the next we read how the city wants to increase coverage on building lots.

And the next day we read how the city plans to build small buildings with affordable units on prime sites instead of building up and / or providing the option of expanding the buildings up for future growth. Maybe these units should have a heritage component and build with quality.

new2halifax
Sep 28, 2023, 6:30 PM
And he killed the student high rise housing proposal from a Montreal developer who specialised in the building of student accommodation.
NIMBYism at its finest.

Interesting. When was this? Was this ever covered by the local press?

someone123
Sep 28, 2023, 6:49 PM

I think it's this one: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/ashcroft-homes-inglis-street-development-1.3820249

A common NIMBY view seems to be that the universities should pay their pensions but not allow any students to live (or buy pizza outside of approved hours) within a 2 km radius. :haha:

Keith P.
Sep 29, 2023, 12:14 PM

Covered right here on this site. The link below is the last page of the thread which contains a list of all the hanky-panky and malfeasance perpetrated by Mason & co, though none of it has been, as is said, "Proven in court" because the proponent threw in the towel. But I recommend reading the whole thread from page one. It should have been shouted from the rooftops as to how a council member torpedoed a much-needed development at the behest of wealthy south-end NIMBYs. Just imagine how freeing up 1000 units of affordable rental housing would have played out if this has gone forward as desired.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224933&page=7&highlight=5900+inglis

Colin May
Sep 29, 2023, 5:06 PM
Went to SMU last night and walked across the large parking lot thinking "What could have been here instead of a large parking lot'. The presentation re First Nations law was interesting. The floodlit sports field would be the ideal location for a mini-stadium.

Jstaleness
Oct 2, 2023, 10:45 PM
Am I crazy (probably) but does anyone else remember if and who had done a Dartmouth mock-up including all new proposed towers? It included the 3 at the Double Tree site, and the 3 to 4 over on Wyse shopping centre area. I wasn't able to find it.

worldlyhaligonian
Oct 2, 2023, 10:53 PM
Am I crazy (probably) but does anyone else remember if and who had done a Dartmouth mock-up including all new proposed towers? It included the 3 at the Double Tree site, and the 3 to 4 over on Wyse shopping centre area. I wasn't able to find it.

I think this thread? https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244455

mleblanc
Oct 2, 2023, 10:53 PM

edit: Never mind, read the question wrong.

IanWatson
Oct 3, 2023, 12:12 PM

Might have been Hadrian Laing. Can't find the post though...

Jstaleness
Oct 3, 2023, 1:00 PM
I think this thread? https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244455

Thanks, this shows some of them for sure. Cheers!!

DigitalNinja
Oct 3, 2023, 4:19 PM

I did a really bad one a while ago and had it posted here.
https://imgur.com/a/Bks6RU9

teddifax
Oct 4, 2023, 2:36 AM
Looking at some pictures of the Ottawa-Pittsburg game at the Scotiabank Centre, I wonder if expansion of the building has ever been considered. I feel the Duke St end could be built out and possibly another 5000 seats could be added. I would love to see the roof raised to provide clean sight lines across from one upper bowl across to the upper bowl on the other side.

Keith P.
Oct 4, 2023, 11:01 AM
Looking at some pictures of the Ottawa-Pittsburg game at the Scotiabank Centre, I wonder if expansion of the building has ever been considered. I feel the Duke St end could be built out and possibly another 5000 seats could be added. I would love to see the roof raised to provide clean sight lines across from one upper bowl across to the upper bowl on the other side.

That has often been discussed here. The opinion seemed to be that the engineering of the building would not make it feasible to raise the roof. I don't think that just adding seats via an expansion would work well anyway because aside from a few special events, capacity is seldom reached as it is, and the necessary amenities like washrooms, concessions, concourses and the like are all inadequate as it is.

kph06
Oct 13, 2023, 1:27 AM
Demo work looks about to ramp up at the old Red Cross building. Worthy of note, that is a Volvo EC480EHR (Equipment Specs here) (https://www.volvoce.com/united-states/en-us/products/high-reach-demolition-equipment/ec480ehr/) "High Reach Demolition Equipment", I can't recall seeing this used here before. More pieces are still required.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53254068045_aacd6105c2_h.jpg

teddifax
Oct 13, 2023, 12:04 PM
What does the announcement yesterday of the NS Government taking over control does to development in HRM???? Will taller buildings now be permitted!!!!!

Keith P.
Oct 13, 2023, 1:44 PM
I always liked the design of that building. I was unaware that the Red Cross had relocated. Where are they now? And what is the proposed use of this site?

worldlyhaligonian
Oct 13, 2023, 3:19 PM
What does the announcement yesterday of the NS Government taking over control does to development in HRM???? Will taller buildings now be permitted!!!!!

Better be. The obstructionists should move aside, municipal law has no teeth!

Most people think the lack of housing is the government's fault... I guess it is indirectly by allowing these folks to shut everything down for 20 years!

fatscat
Oct 13, 2023, 3:28 PM
I always liked the design of that building. I was unaware that the Red Cross had relocated. Where are they now? And what is the proposed use of this site?

This will be the location of the new Mi'kmaw Native Friendship Centre: https://www.halifaxexaminer.ca/government/city-hall/mikmaw-native-friendship-centre-to-buy-former-red-cross-property-from-halifax-for-1/

Looks like it'll be a nice, standout building plus improved public space.

teddifax
Oct 13, 2023, 3:34 PM

Most people think the lack of housing is the government's fault... I guess it is indirectly by allowing these folks to shut everything down for 20 years!

I would love to see a cancellation or drastic modification to the view planes bylaw.... The only one that should have ever existed was out the mouth of the harbour.... with those gone, the sky is the limit!!!!!!!! Bring on the true skyscrapers!!!! Please let this happen.

kzt79
Oct 13, 2023, 4:04 PM

I would suggest it's largely a result of many DIRECT actions by all 3 levels of government to limit supply while pumping demand. It's nice to see some steps finally being taken to effect positive change.

Arrdeeharharharbour
Oct 18, 2023, 8:24 PM
It appears that the spot left vacant by Steak and Stein may be in the midst of a remodel for a new tenant.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53268628309_b3ca11521a_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2paaDm2)20231018_125156 (https://flic.kr/p/2paaDm2) by AJ Forsythe (https://www.flickr.com/photos/194233676@N07/), on Flickr

HarbingerDe
Oct 18, 2023, 9:17 PM
I would love to see a cancellation or drastic modification to the view planes bylaw.... The only one that should have ever existed was out the mouth of the harbour.... with those gone, the sky is the limit!!!!!!!! Bring on the true skyscrapers!!!! Please let this happen.

Even if the view planes don't get canceled, it looks like almost the entirety of the new Cogswell District just happens to exist outside of the view planes.

https://cdn.halifax.ca/sites/default/files/documents/city-hall/boards-committees-commissions/Map7-HalifaxCitadelViewPlains.pdf

I hope every developer that ultimately ends up purchasing land there pushes for more height, beyond the 90 meters even, and I hope the province steps in to approve it because Lord knows the council won't.

someone123
Oct 18, 2023, 10:22 PM
I hope every developer that ultimately ends up purchasing land there pushes for more height, beyond the 90 meters even, and I hope the province steps in to approve it because Lord knows the council won't.

I believe they will still be under the ramparts rule so will be quite limited. It seems like a very poor trade-off for the city. Arguably worse than most of the viewplanes that protect views of actual things instead of tiny segments of sky as seen from one location.

It's interesting in that it doesn't show up as a line item in the budget but imposing height limits on municipally-owned land has a cost. I would guess that if regional council had to vote to spend $5M or something to impose the ramparts rule on the Cogswell area it would be more controversial.

teddifax
Oct 19, 2023, 1:51 AM
Maybe the NS Government new rules will override the height restrictions.

HalifaxRetales
Oct 19, 2023, 10:59 AM
It is being split into two units and I know one is PetValu

It appears that the spot left vacant by Steak and Stein may be in the midst of a remodel for a new tenant.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53268628309_b3ca11521a_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2paaDm2)20231018_125156 (https://flic.kr/p/2paaDm2) by AJ Forsythe (https://www.flickr.com/photos/194233676@N07/), on Flickr

fatscat
Oct 21, 2023, 10:39 AM
Well balanced article on the struggles Halifax is facing with its boom, as well as the highlights of its growth. I do appreciate the "next Boston" moniker :)

https://financialpost.com/feature/halifax-booming-toronto-problems/wcm/81d42851-15bc-47f6-8fee-22f53d23808a/amp/

Arrdeeharharharbour
Oct 22, 2023, 1:45 PM
The provincial $8m loan program with up to $25k forgivable portion is probably not a bad thing but it does bring to mind that there have been many potential homes lost that developers would have built for free if not for towers having been lopped-off by multiple floors in city council's efforts to cultivate nimby-ism to garner votes.

mleblanc
Oct 23, 2023, 7:20 PM
Starting to see the new units in 1533 Barrington St. aka Freemasons Hall appear online. I'm conflicted on this one. On one hand, more units downtown is a great thing. On the other, this may be the most horrendous remodelling of a prominent historical building I've ever seen. The way they split the floors... ugh. Unit listings here (https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/342281661505051) and here (https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1286270875386373)

https://i.imgur.com/yGzzSlh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/wMS9gzK.jpg

someone123
Oct 23, 2023, 8:09 PM
Starting to see the new units in 1533 Barrington St. aka Freemasons Hall appear online. I'm conflicted on this one. On one hand, more units downtown is a great thing. On the other, this may be the most horrendous remodelling of a prominent historical building I've ever seen. The way they split the floors... ugh. Unit listings

I am sure people who live in the city have a better feel for this but it seems to me that while there have been some improvements in quality of heritage use in some new developments, there doesn't seem to have been a boost in the heritage budget to match the increase in economic vibrancy and population growth in the city. Around Barrington there's been an explosion of new construction and land values have gone way up but some of the historic remodels are so-so. I wonder how NFB will eventually look.

Some very prominent historic buildings (and new developments) have empty storefronts too. Partly that may be covid and "teething" issues around construction (adding density is eventually a plus but construction sites can be bad for nearby commercial uses).

The Green Lantern redo does seem nice, and I'm optimistic about some other projects like the Elmwood, Waverley Inn, and College St.

The Pacific Building looks really bad. If you look at even some of the decently preserve buildings on Barrington like the buildings around Prince Street they're not that great.

Drybrain
Oct 24, 2023, 1:56 AM
The Green Lantern redo does seem nice, and I'm optimistic about some other projects like the Elmwood, Waverley Inn, and College St.

Overall I agree that the bar for what we expect out of heritage restorations is too low, though I do genuinely think the Elmwood and especially the Waverley look especially promising.

Dmajackson
Oct 24, 2023, 3:23 AM
Interesting renovation permit submitted for NELSON PLACE

Mixed Use & Commercial Building Permit - Renovation - In Review - 5675 SPRING GARDEN RD, HALIFAX - $10'675'000 - Mixed Use - Residential & Other Use(s) - Retail Use - 80 Units - 8 Floors - To convert the existing Commercial building to residential, commercial tenants main floor to remain.

someone123
Oct 24, 2023, 6:42 PM
Overall I agree that the bar for what we expect out of heritage restorations is too low, though I do genuinely think the Elmwood and especially the Waverley look especially promising.

The good thing is that a lot of those building seem basically stable now so it's possible to improve them in the future. But it does feel like heritage progress on Barrington is a bit stuck lately.

What do people think of the modern-style reno for the top 2 floors of the Starfish-owned property next to the Roy?

Another one that stands out to me is the old theatre entrance next to the Green Lantern. That is a nice looking brick facade in older pictures but is now stripped down and covered in metal siding (I think it used to be painted cinder block).

Arrdeeharharharbour
Oct 25, 2023, 1:02 PM
Below are some pics taken yesterday of the old nunnery (I think that's what it was) on the corner of Normandy and High streets in the far north end of the peninsula. I haven't heard anything about this project...just happened to drive by yesterday.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53284997580_8a682f52e3_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2pbBxmQ)20231024_122337 (https://flic.kr/p/2pbBxmQ) by AJ Forsythe (https://www.flickr.com/photos/194233676@N07/), on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53283644812_49f5212d35_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2pbuBef)20231024_122442_HDR (https://flic.kr/p/2pbuBef) by AJ Forsythe (https://www.flickr.com/photos/194233676@N07/), on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53284540696_9be6fe79f0_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2pbzcxw)20231024_122446_HDR (https://flic.kr/p/2pbzcxw) by AJ Forsythe (https://www.flickr.com/photos/194233676@N07/), on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53284791973_4f53eda26e_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2pbAueT)20231024_122534_HDR (https://flic.kr/p/2pbAueT) by AJ Forsythe (https://www.flickr.com/photos/194233676@N07/), on Flickr

Keith P.
Oct 25, 2023, 3:49 PM
That's kind of out of the way, but I've always liked that area. Those might be good places to live.

ETA: I just noticed the thick layer of fiberglass insulation visible around some of the window openings. That is some serious cold protection retrofit.

Dmajackson
Oct 29, 2023, 3:32 PM
Demolition Permits Issued;

58 LAKECREST DRIVE, DARTMOUTH. This is in the centre of 'The Village on Main'.

62 THISTLE STREET, DARTMOUTH. This is only zoned ER-2 but it is a large lot (~17'000 sq ft).

Building Permits Issued;

Mixed Use & Commercial Building Permit - New Building - Issued - 513 HERRING COVE RD, HALIFAX - $5'000'000 - Dwelling - Multiple Units - Residential Use - 62 Units - 4 Floors - Scope of work: construction of new 5 storey multi-unit residential building, with parking garage. 62 units in mix of 2 bedroom and Studio.

Mixed Use & Commercial Building Permit - New Building - Issued - 2445 BRUNSWICK STREET, HALIFAX - $11'000'000 - Dwelling - Multiple Units - Residential Use - 38 Units - 4 Floors - Construct Multi-Unit Dwelling This is the Hope Cottage Rapid Housing project

Building Permit Submitted;

Mixed Use & Commercial Building Permit - New Building - In Review - 1 CIRCASSION DRIVE, COLE HARBOUR - $5'800'000 - Dwelling - Multiple Units - Residential Use - 18 Units - 3 Floors - "New 18 unit apartment building for affordable housing through Dartmouth Housing. PLANAPP 2023-00339 (formerly Case 24496): Development Agreement 1 Circassion Dr, Cole Harbour"

Arrdeeharharharbour
Nov 6, 2023, 4:30 PM
I see this morning on Viewpoint that a rather sad looking old building on the east side of Fern Lane next to Colonial Honda has a pending offer. The asking price is $1,150,000.00. My first thought was that Steele must be assembling more land though, I suppose it could be someone on Agricola Street doing the same.

someone123
Nov 6, 2023, 4:48 PM
I'm curious how the Hope Cottage project turns out. The rendering showed a historic rowhouse kind of design, which could be good or bad depending on execution.

The budgets are a bit funny. $11M for 38 units for Hope Cottage (in what looks like a fairly small building, but maybe it's a bit bigger than it seems due to the hill) and $5M for 62 units on Herring Cove Rd.

midasmull
Nov 6, 2023, 5:01 PM
The budgets are a bit funny. $11M for 38 units for Hope Cottage (in what looks like a fairly small building, but maybe it's a bit bigger than it seems due to the hill) and $5M for 62 units on Herring Cove Rd.

It's almost as if basing building permit fees on the total budget and then allowing the developer to self-report might lead to some people taking advantage of the situation.

someone123
Nov 6, 2023, 5:07 PM
It's almost as if basing building permit fees on the total budget and then allowing the developer to self-report might lead to some people taking advantage of the situation.

Shocking! :)

Do the permits connect with other taxes or can you say the unit cost you $100k for HRM building permit purposes, but then in the end for income purposes you declare say $400k costs on a unit sold for $500k?

I recall some building permit comparisons between cities being posted in the Canada section. I think that data is incredibly noisy and hard to compare across jurisdictions.

Ahogan9
Nov 23, 2023, 6:37 PM
Does anybody proposed for 2 new TV stations, CityTV and YesTV in Halifax?

TheCuriousMind
Nov 24, 2023, 3:52 PM
Hi All,

Wanted to introduce myself and figured this is the best place. I'm a long-time lurker on the forum and figured it was time to finally register an account and start contributing. I'm a structural engineer based out of Montreal who grew up in Halifax, and I try to stay connected with the city I know and love by keeping up with developments and urbanism in NS/Halifax proper. Looking forward to contributing my thoughts (and potentially conceuptual designs) for potential improvements/developments in Halifax.

Someday I dream of returning to Halifax and getting involved in local politics to turn the tide against NIMBYism and obstruction of progress into a balanced, rational urbanism that represents the diverse needs and wants of our population without being too beholden to outdated and counterproductive norms and regulations. Cheers all!

-Simon

teddifax
Nov 24, 2023, 9:39 PM
Can you start now, Simon?

Antigonish
Nov 25, 2023, 12:43 AM
Hi All,

Wanted to introduce myself and figured this is the best place. I'm a long-time lurker on the forum and figured it was time to finally register an account and start contributing. I'm a structural engineer based out of Montreal who grew up in Halifax, and I try to stay connected with the city I know and love by keeping up with developments and urbanism in NS/Halifax proper. Looking forward to contributing my thoughts (and potentially conceuptual designs) for potential improvements/developments in Halifax.

Someday I dream of returning to Halifax and getting involved in local politics to turn the tide against NIMBYism and obstruction of progress into a balanced, rational urbanism that represents the diverse needs and wants of our population without being too beholden to outdated and counterproductive norms and regulations. Cheers all!

-Simon

Welcome Simon it's good to have you on board. A lot of us are like you, yearning to come back home and make a difference after being in exile for [x] years. Stick around and join in the discussion, the more active the better :cheers:

someone123
Nov 25, 2023, 1:04 AM
Welcome!

Empire
Nov 25, 2023, 4:03 AM
Welcome Simon! It will be nice to hear your forward thinking views. So much untapped potential for improved building design in this prime development era for HRM.

Patriots
Nov 26, 2023, 2:23 PM
Since we are doing some introductions I will throw my hat in. I have followed for over a year and thought I would start contributing. Part of my formal education was in urban planning but 3 decades ago began a career in finance. My overriding concern is how we manage the provincial objective of significantly increasing Nova Scotia's population and tax revenue base, and a result Halifax's population growth in an efficient but realistic manner. I look forward to our discussions.