PDA

View Full Version : General Updates and News

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118

alps
Dec 7, 2010, 10:57 PM
I dunno, like I said, I see the park in front of the new library as well as the lawn in front of Dal serving a very similar purpose. Maybe I shouldn't have included the exploratory illustration since it seems to have drawn all the attention.

Have you ever seen anyone using the lawn upon which the building in blue is located? I haven't. I wouldn't mind a shop or a cafe there is all -- I think it'd bring even more action to the park.

The main triangular lawn should stay, but if it ends up being underused once the old library closed and the new one opens (replete with the second park in front), I think we would maybe want to reexamine it (in 10 years or w/e) and see if it couldn't be better used or invigorated somehow...whether through a redesign of the space, or a partial development of the lot to serve as a pedestrian magnet like the library is currently, or something..

Empire
Dec 7, 2010, 11:18 PM
I dunno, like I said, I see the park in front of the new library as well as the lawn in front of Dal serving a very similar purpose. Maybe I shouldn't have included the exploratory illustration since it seems to have drawn all the attention.

Have you ever seen anyone using the lawn upon which the building in blue is located? I haven't. I wouldn't mind a shop or a cafe there is all -- I think it'd bring even more action to the park.

The main triangular lawn should stay, but if it ends up being underused once the old library closed and the new one opens (replete with the second park in front), I think we would maybe want to reexamine it (in 10 years or w/e) and see if it couldn't be better used or invigorated somehow...whether through a redesign of the space, or a partial development of the lot to serve as a pedestrian magnet like the library is currently, or something..

Maybe we should vote on the issue? So far it would appear hands-down the green space stays. As beyeas correctly points out, a park like Union Sq. in NYC is a welcome people place in the urban jungle. Trinity Sq. park and Bryant park in NYC are very similar and the city of New York recognizes this by allowing them to stay. Just to have a place for people to veg-out in an urban landscape is very important!

alps
Dec 7, 2010, 11:45 PM
I didn't say, cut-and-dry, that the park should go. I'm not proposing anything terribly controversial; only that we shouldn't rule out the possibility of change beyond the next decade should the closure of the old library prove detrimental to the good thing we've got going here today. And that it would be neat to have a cafe on the lesser-used corner lawn.

I have no real clue what to do with the site because it's way too early to form an opinion. We don't even know what'll happen to the old library building yet. It's a bit HT-like to preemptively rule out any and all change.

Empire
Dec 8, 2010, 12:27 AM
I didn't say, cut-and-dry, that the park should go. I'm not proposing anything terribly controversial; only that we shouldn't rule out the possibility of change beyond the next decade should the closure of the old library prove detrimental to the good thing we've got going here today. And that it would be neat to have a cafe on the lesser-used corner lawn.

I have no real clue what to do with the site because it's way too early to form an opinion. We don't even know what'll happen to the old library building yet. It's a bit HT-like to preemptively rule out any and all change.

It's not a bit HT-like to oppose the elimination of this green space. HT opposes practically everything and what they approve of is garbage like the Prince George. We need more spaces like this not less and in the present retail environment more retail on Spring Garden in this location would no doubt be a wireless provider or cheap clothier like Le Chateau

Jstaleness
Dec 8, 2010, 12:46 AM
I wonder if a small sporting goods store or bike shop could work out of the old library? I believe the building is 3 stories? Maybe have converted to offices on the top 2 floors and the stores at street level? I was thinking bikes because this is one of the most pedestrian oriented area's of town. It would also be nice to be able to rent a bicycle or two and zip around the south end. I'm not not sure....just thinking.

Jstaleness
Dec 8, 2010, 1:05 AM
Also a very nice block for a residential tower.
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=rf6mt19q1wsm&lvl=19.241008888050022&dir=271.06308039653527&sty=b

-Harlington-
Dec 8, 2010, 8:10 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs586.ash2/150876_176421819052772_100000548657840_532914_6562063_n.jpg

courtesy of mayor kellys facebook
:tup:

someone123
Dec 8, 2010, 9:00 PM
That's such an optimistic view (from the perspective of Winter Games.. maybe not from the perspective of driveway shovelling). There's probably a 50/50 chance of snow or maybe less.

kph06
Dec 10, 2010, 1:55 PM
I was looking through WHW Architects website and came across the Capital Health master plan they came up with. It only contains four images, but shows massing and layout for the QEH site and a reworking of the VG.

Capital Health Master Plan (http://www.whwarchitects.com/projects/healthcare/capital_health/main.html)

Northend Guy
Dec 10, 2010, 2:48 PM
:previous: So based on the site plans on their website, the big parking lot bordered by SP, University & South is intended to be occupied by Capital Health. Look like possibly a couple of more buildings on the site (in addition to the new VG facilty replacing the old stuff) - possibly a parking stucture or two & lots of green space - looks like a pretty good balance for that block to me.

beyeas
Dec 10, 2010, 5:57 PM
Just wanted to note that in the Capital Spending Plan released yesterday, there is money budgeted for 6 school construction projects in Halifax. Some of these are already underway (and the money allocated is just for the 2011-12 phase of construction) whereas other money is for "new" school projects (although it is unclear as to whether that meant in all cases that actual construction was beginning during the next fiscal year or whether some of that money might just be for land purchase and/or architectural work.

The one that interested me the most for personal reasons is that a new building at Lemarchant/St Thomas was listed in the plans for new school construction during 2011-12.

halifaxboyns
Dec 10, 2010, 6:28 PM
I would have to agree that the park should probably stay. There is no room left in downtown other than here, Dal or the library site for a pocket park.

If a new building is constructed, you could see the nature of who uses the park change though. If the building has ground floor retail and then residential above - then you'd have more eyes on the park. Typically in that case, less desirable people tend to not like having eyes on them and would go elsewhere.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me either way if the building stays or goes.

Dmajackson
Dec 15, 2010, 6:47 PM
NEW PROPOSAL:

Gottingen Street @ Cunard Street - Saint Lenoard's Society of Nova Scotia
Unknown Height
4 floors
Mixed-Use (18 resdential units + ground floor commercial)

http://www.dawnsloane.ca/images/gottingen1.JPG

fenwick16
Dec 15, 2010, 7:07 PM
NEW PROPOSAL:

Unknown Height
4 floors

It looks like a nice development.

alps
Dec 15, 2010, 7:11 PM
Here's the lot, same perspective:

http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&ll=44.653261,-63.585214&spn=0,0.004764&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=44.653338,-63.58537&panoid=EIIn6vBxUQy3PL0xK9YqeQ&cbp=12,181.88,,0,6.77

Looks pretty good! The shop windows on Gottingen seem nice and big.

halifaxboyns
Dec 15, 2010, 9:26 PM
I'd have liked the units to have balconies; but that's just a personal preference.

JustinMacD
Dec 15, 2010, 9:27 PM
Beautiful. Gottigen is moving on up one block at a time. I love it.

A simple project but 100000X better than a disgusting empty lot (which by the looks of it could be a haven for drug activity).

worldlyhaligonian
Dec 15, 2010, 9:27 PM
Amazing! I've been waiting for this lot to be developed for years!

Let's hope nobody speaks out against this one and it gets started soon!

someone123
Dec 15, 2010, 10:06 PM
Great proposal.

eastcoastal
Dec 15, 2010, 10:09 PM
NEW PROPOSAL:

Unknown Height
4 floors

http://www.dawnsloane.ca/images/gottingen1.JPG

Anyone know who the architect is?

Jstaleness
Dec 16, 2010, 12:10 AM
Good to see this corner filled in!

Keith P.
Dec 16, 2010, 2:55 AM
C'mon folks, get real. That looks awful.

halifaxboyns
Dec 16, 2010, 4:09 AM
Well CBC late night had a story on this and it didn't take long for people to come out against this. Apparently it's a building that will help people living at the Metro Turning point to transition into the neighbourhood. The people against it are saying that it's like putting a kid in a candy store; considering it's close to drugs and on the 'roughest street' in the neighbourhood.

fenwick16
Dec 16, 2010, 4:19 AM
Well CBC late night had a story on this and it didn't take long for people to come out against this. Apparently it's a building that will help people living at the Metro Turning point to transition into the neighbourhood. The people against it are saying that it's like putting a kid in a candy store; considering it's close to drugs and on the 'roughest street' in the neighbourhood.

Maybe they mistakenly heard that there will be a Drug Store on the ground floor :)

Empire
Dec 16, 2010, 4:24 AM

I agree, must be a Nigel Savage masterpiece. It`s the same cheap cookiecutter design that has been investing the northend lately. What will make this building a loser is the cheap materials. The materials always slip through the cracks. In five years this building will have to be redone. This is such a prime corner and this is the wrong development. There should be a more substantial building with better materials and a have a mixed use.

halifaxboyns
Dec 16, 2010, 6:20 AM
There were no details on the materials - so taking that out of the argument; it fits in well in terms of adjacent buildings. Plus it's as of right.
The materials will make this good or bad. Because this is a social project; I suspect they might go cheap. It's been my experience that unless they have a huge amount of money - cheaper is better.

someone123
Dec 16, 2010, 10:03 AM
Gottingen is unlikely to see many high-end projects anytime soon. It's more important to quickly fill in the empty lots with acceptable buildings than to hold out for each lot to be perfectly developed -- once these lots are filled then some apartment buildings can be replaced.

JET
Dec 16, 2010, 3:13 PM
There were no details on the materials - so taking that out of the argument; it fits in well in terms of adjacent buildings. Plus it's as of right.
The materials will make this good or bad. Because this is a social project; I suspect they might go cheap. It's been my experience that unless they have a huge amount of money - cheaper is better.

There was a low income housing development a bit further north on the same side of the street last year, that was done well with nice exterior materials. Efforts are being made, so we shouldn't assume. Some of the newer housing not far from here is terrible in terms of looks and material. Low income/social housing doesn't necessarily translate to poor quality.

halifaxboyns
Dec 16, 2010, 3:50 PM
There was a low income housing development a bit further north on the same side of the street last year, that was done well with nice exterior materials. Efforts are being made, so we shouldn't assume. Some of the newer housing not far from here is terrible in terms of looks and material. Low income/social housing doesn't necessarily translate to poor quality.

That's true and I'm thankful this project is as of right; if the materials are right.
If the materials are bad; then this is where a DA might have been helpful.

JustinMacD
Dec 17, 2010, 4:31 PM

It's nothing special but come on. Anything for that location is a positive.

Copes
Dec 17, 2010, 4:44 PM

Its certainly not dazzling, but it's better then an empty lot, and at least someone is interested in doing something productive on Gottingen street. It's going to take small projects like this, slowly allowing the street to grow, for the street to turn around and lose it's shady rep.

worldlyhaligonian
Dec 17, 2010, 6:38 PM
Its certainly not dazzling, but it's better then an empty lot, and at least someone is interested in doing something productive on Gottingen street. It's going to take small projects like this, slowly allowing the street to grow, for the street to turn around and lose it's shady rep.

I agree... its been like that my whole life... these small empty lots ruin the urban fabric.

PS - Nice education, I have a similar background. :cheers:

Dmajackson
Dec 17, 2010, 9:37 PM
I took this photo for scenic reasons but when I went to check it on my computer I noticed the crane for the Admiral Street seniors complex was visible on the horizon line on the right side of the photo;

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5123/5269128047_5c70cb631d_z.jpg

Dmajackson
Dec 19, 2010, 4:37 AM
3150 BARRINGTON STREET - DECEMBER 18TH, 2010:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5161/5272508667_e78b20b423_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5044/5273114438_97f0e98693_z.jpg

beyeas
Dec 21, 2010, 4:51 PM
Found this in the letters page of the CH

Kick-starting Halifax

The HRM council decision to consider hosting the 2015 FIFA Women’s Championship (new stadium included), raises an opportunity to create urban signature sites here in Halifax. Naysayers determined to make Halifax a national backwater notwithstanding, we have a chance to build three innovative, multi-functional and environmentally advanced structures, giving Halifax a national identity as a place where design, arts and culture merge with green technology and proud history to celebrate human diversity and helping drive economic development.

The library building is already on this path. A new convention centre could meet platinum LEED standards using a historically relevant design to not only host conventions but also showcase our rich and growing cultural communities. Halifax could lead the development of "small city stadiums" that combine community celebrations with professional and amateur sports events. Others would emulate.

Perhaps such innovation would also increase the likelihood of federal support as a good case could be made better. This will take vision, leadership and courage — as well as a solid business case. Many will rail against this idea, as they did against the Eiffel Tower and the Sydney Opera House, to name but two. However, many would be proud to live in a city that is home to some of Canada’s most innovative and exciting urban design.

Stan Kutcher,

Federal Liberal candidate for Halifax

halifaxboyns
Dec 21, 2010, 5:11 PM
Found this in the letters page of the CH

Well he's got my vote.

Keith P.
Dec 22, 2010, 12:37 AM
Well he's got my vote.

He's a Liberal candidate, so he'll say anything to get a vote. Doesn't mean he will do anything though.

beyeas
Dec 22, 2010, 12:21 PM
Ah yes, as opposed to those pure as the driven snow conservatives (as I picture Mulroney wagging his finger during the debate, or Mackay signing the agreement that he wouldn't merge with CRAPers... I could go on... LOL)

Saying whatever you need to to get elected is just called "being a politician" there big-guy. They are all like that, Conservative, Liberal, NDP alike.

Blind allegiance based purely upon political partisanship is for people who don't know how to think for themselves.

Keith P.
Dec 22, 2010, 2:03 PM
Blind allegiance based purely upon political partisanship is for people who don't know how to think for themselves.

I know from long experience that the only thing the LPC stands for is getting and retaining power by any means possible. Other than that, they have no core values.

beyeas
Dec 22, 2010, 7:24 PM
But proroguing parliament was an act of parliamentary beneficence? :-)

ANYWAY, I'll drop it... Happy Holidays. LOL

worldlyhaligonian
Dec 22, 2010, 7:29 PM
I think it was a good statement... I mean, its all true.

Waye Mason
Dec 23, 2010, 2:44 PM

Agreed.

As a side note, did you know SSP requires at least 10 characters not including a quote before you can post? :)

kph06
Dec 23, 2010, 9:25 PM
There is a proposal for a Mr. Lube in the Home Depot on Lacewood parking lot.

Case 16678 (http://www.halifax.ca/planning/Case16678Details.html)

Dmajackson
Dec 23, 2010, 11:10 PM
Gottingen Street Photos (@Falkland Street, @Cunard Street, and two new residential projects):
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5248/5286149081_3918a3b83a_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5130/5286736484_360631195c_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5042/5286141847_6b486512be_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5289/5286143105_f80b52b87b_z.jpg

Agricola @ West Office Building - December 23rd, 2010:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5284/5286737790_31eefdc871_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5282/5286145467_67e2dba526_z.jpg

All photos taken by DJ and hosted on Flickr by SSP_Dmajackson_01.

That's all for 2010 folks. Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all fellow forumers. Here's to a great year in Halifax developments. :cheers:

DigitalNinja
Dec 24, 2010, 2:58 AM
That office building doesn't look to bad at all.

halifaxboyns
Dec 24, 2010, 5:25 AM
He's a Liberal candidate, so he'll say anything to get a vote. Doesn't mean he will do anything though.

I was attempting to be fescious (did I spell that correctly?).

JET
Dec 24, 2010, 1:07 PM
facetious

It took me a few years to find this, and many misspellings: on the post page there is a spell icon above the smilies that takes you to iespell.com
you can download an icon for your toolbar to spellcheck when on forums. Very handy, when I used it for 'fescious', one of the suggested words was 'fascias', seems appropriate for a development forum. :tup:

fenwick16
Dec 24, 2010, 2:10 PM
facetious

It took me a few years to find this, and many misspellings: on the post page there is a spell icon above the smilies that takes you to iespell.com
you can download an icon for your toolbar to spellcheck when on forums. Very handy, when I used it for 'fescious', one of the suggested words was 'fascias', seems appropriate for a development forum. :tup:

I use Mozilla Firefox as my web-browser which has a spell-check function built in (under the Tools - Options - General). I gave up on Internet Explorer a few years ago but maybe it has a similar feature.

alps
Dec 25, 2010, 1:48 AM
That Agricola office building is shaping up nicely, though the siding is pretty bland. Thanks for the pics DJ, and happy holidays everyone!

I just came across this ad on Kijiji (http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-housing-commercial-Retail-Office-Building-to-be-developed-on-Quinpool-Built-to-suit-W0QQAdIdZ247702756#) for a new building on Quinpool:

http://imgur.com/r9zZt.png

http://imgur.com/FjQvY.png

It would be nice to have the whole lot developed, but this looks decent. I like that it's right up to the corner.

kph06
Dec 25, 2010, 4:00 AM
I'm surprised there's room for anything there, it's a tight parking lot as is.

Jonovision
Dec 25, 2010, 5:00 PM
The last thing Quinpool needs is a drive through cafe. The building looks decent, but it should fill the whole lot and not have a drive through.

miesh111
Jan 4, 2011, 6:29 PM
There is a proposal for a Mr. Lube in the Home Depot on Lacewood parking lot.

Case 16678 (http://www.halifax.ca/planning/Case16678Details.html)

Am I the only one who is fundamentally against a Mr. Lube opening up here, in the current proposed design anyway? That whole area has a bunch of residential and who the hell wants to stare out at a bright sign reading "Mr. Lube" every night?

JET
Jan 4, 2011, 7:44 PM
Am I the only one who is fundamentally against a Mr. Lube opening up here, in the current proposed design anyway? That whole area has a bunch of residential and who the hell wants to stare out at a bright sign reading "Mr. Lube" every night?

Are you thinking that the bright Mr. Lube sign might outshine the Homer's sign? :)

Keith P.
Jan 4, 2011, 10:59 PM
Are you thinking that the bright Mr. Lube sign might outshine the Homer's sign? :)

No, I think the worry is more about the Smitty's and Irving signage. ;)

ScovaNotian
Jan 5, 2011, 4:34 PM
I do think that so much more could have been made of the entire area. I was disappointed when the Irving went in, and Mr Lube is not going to make it any better. There is a large number of people living in the area, and it could have become a bit of a town centre that people can walk over to and spend time at. The Starbucks is frequented heavily by people from the neighbourhood, but it's too little.

someone123
Jan 5, 2011, 8:57 PM
I do think that so much more could have been made of the entire area. I was disappointed when the Irving went in, and Mr Lube is not going to make it any better. There is a large number of people living in the area, and it could have become a bit of a town centre that people can walk over to and spend time at. The Starbucks is frequented heavily by people from the neighbourhood, but it's too little.

It is lowest-common-denominator development dictated by companies interested in making money, not constructing functional parts of the city. That sort of planning is the city's job but they seem to mostly be asleep at the switch, silent on many important issues while focusing on misguided counterproductive policies to do things like limit density.

Suburban development in Halifax is so far behind cities like Vancouver it's not funny.

macgregor
Jan 5, 2011, 10:09 PM
The former Dairy Queen on Spring Garden & South Park has a "For Lease" sign in the window now.

Too bad.

someone123
Jan 5, 2011, 10:17 PM
The former Dairy Queen on Spring Garden & South Park has a "For Lease" sign in the window now.

Too bad.

That whole corner should be redeveloped. It sounded like that was a possibility at one point with somebody announcing plans for the location next door but the lack of news and the "for lease" sign suggest otherwise.

Sometimes I wonder how much areas like Spring Garden Road are held back just because of old landlords who have little interest in doing anything but collecting rent. The empty house by HMV for example makes me think that the owner is just sitting around waiting for somebody to hand over some money, if they are even aware of the property at all. It's hard to believe that the land wouldn't be better-used in some other way.

JustinMacD
Jan 6, 2011, 1:09 AM
It's probably the most visible street corner in Atlantic Canada... and we have an abandoned DQ with no plans for redevelopment. Awesome.

Keith P.
Jan 6, 2011, 1:44 AM
That whole corner should be redeveloped. It sounded like that was a possibility at one point with somebody announcing plans for the location next door but the lack of news and the "for lease" sign suggest otherwise.

Sometimes I wonder how much areas like Spring Garden Road are held back just because of old landlords who have little interest in doing anything but collecting rent. The empty house by HMV for example makes me think that the owner is just sitting around waiting for somebody to hand over some money, if they are even aware of the property at all. It's hard to believe that the land wouldn't be better-used in some other way.

In fairness, that corner is owned by a couple named Kleronomos, who are the Greek family who ran (or maybe still run) the Lakonia olive oil import business that was or still is located in that building. They own a couple of other properties around town but are not huge landlords. I think they are just an older Greek couple who are trying to live out their lives comfortably.

The corner building lot is not all that large and for a development of any size a few adjacent parcels would have to be acquired and consolidated. Not that it couldn't be done, but it would take some deep pockets and a lot of effort to convince the owners to sell.

fenwick16
Jan 6, 2011, 4:25 AM
According to allnovascotia.com, the provincial Health Department will be moving into Barrington Towers in the fall of 2012 which is currently occupied by Emera and NSPI.

The renovation of the waterfront NSPI building is behind schedule and will likely not be ready until near the end of this year.

someone123
Jan 6, 2011, 8:24 PM
Geoff Keddy's website has a nice new rendering for the residential building on Coburg Road:

http://www.geoffkeddy.com/geoffkeddy/projects/Residential/Multi-unit/Seymour/Seymour-1.jpg
Source (http://www.geoffkeddy.com/geoffkeddy/Template.html?i=3,j=1,k=24)

There's also a Willman's Fish and Chips rendering (Kane Street):
http://www.geoffkeddy.com/geoffkeddy/projects/Commercial/Retail/Willmans/Willmans-1.jpg
Source (http://www.geoffkeddy.com/geoffkeddy/Template.html?i=1,j=3,k=68)

..and I think the McLean Street condos are new as well:
http://www.geoffkeddy.com/geoffkeddy/projects/Residential/Multi-unit/McLean-condos/McLean-condos-1.jpg
Source (http://www.geoffkeddy.com/geoffkeddy/Template.html?i=3,j=1,k=18)

JustinMacD
Jan 6, 2011, 8:53 PM
According to allnovascotia.com, the provincial Health Department will be moving into Barrington Towers in the fall of 2012 which is currently occupied by Emera and NSPI.

The renovation of the waterfront NSPI building is behind schedule and will likely not be ready until near the end of this year.

It's good that those buildings won't remain vacant.

Dmajackson
Jan 6, 2011, 9:37 PM
Geoff Keddy's website has a nice new rendering for the residential building on Coburg Road:

That will certainly liven up the Coburg streetscape. :)

There's also a Willman's Fish and Chips rendering (Kane Street):

I believe this might be under construction. There's a house being completely redone from the foundation up on Robie/Massachussetts around Kane.

My family grew up on that street (my nan lived there for 50 years) so I'll admit I'll be sad to see some of the nice houses go on the street but looking at the surroundings this appears to at the corner of Atlantic Street which means the houses that will be demolished aren't that unique or historic.

someone123
Jan 6, 2011, 9:47 PM
Looks like it's the northwest corner of McLean and Atlantic -- this makes sense since they are called the McLean Condominiums but the text underneath says Atlantic street.

The fish and chips place is under construction. I've seen pictures here or on some other site.

I'd love to see more mid-scale residential buildings like the Coburg Road one. I'd also like to see that area become more multi-unit residential.

Dmajackson
Jan 6, 2011, 10:06 PM
One thing I'm wondering is what Sue Uteck thinks of the McLean Street proposal since it is just up the street from her house. :P

halifaxboyns
Jan 6, 2011, 11:44 PM
One thing I'm wondering is what Sue Uteck thinks of the McLean Street proposal since it is just up the street from her house. :P

3 stories doesn't seem to be out of the character of the neighbourhood too much - there is the 35' height precinct in the area. The diagram does say Atlantic Avenue on his website, but I don't see any R-3 land using HRM's mapping. So given the height and lack of R-3 I'm guessing this would be a DA application?

Should be interesting to see where she stands on it; because there is no planning application data on the HRM website. It could also have been something that was on the drawing board then not going forward?

FuzzyWuz
Jan 7, 2011, 12:18 AM
http://www.geoffkeddy.com/geoffkeddy/projects/Residential/Multi-unit/McLean-condos/McLean-condos-1.jpg
Source (http://www.geoffkeddy.com/geoffkeddy/Template.html?i=3,j=1,k=18)

Could someone please draw her onto MY street?

pblaauw
Jan 7, 2011, 7:05 AM
In fairness, that corner is owned by a couple named Kleronomos, who are the Greek family who ran (or maybe still run) the Lakonia olive oil import business that was or still is located in that building. They own a couple of other properties around town but are not huge landlords. I think they are just an older Greek couple who are trying to live out their lives comfortably.

The corner building lot is not all that large and for a development of any size a few adjacent parcels would have to be acquired and consolidated. Not that it couldn't be done, but it would take some deep pockets and a lot of effort to convince the owners to sell.

Lakonia is now located in a building on Barrington, near Just Us! cafe. I always loved their huge sign on the roof. It gave the intersection more character.

I'd love to see something done with the old DQ building and that hole in the ground next door. But, since there's a new clothing store in the old London Hair space, I don't see anything drastic happening there for a while at least.

DigitalNinja
Jan 7, 2011, 8:04 PM
Fuzzy, I was thinking something similar, I want to know where I can find her :P

bluenoser
Jan 7, 2011, 9:21 PM
Just a couple of shots from the Commons skating oval this past Monday. It was fairly busy considering it had rained all morning. I'm told it gets pretty packed though, which is cool.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb406/scotian_supernova1/Commons1.jpg

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb406/scotian_supernova1/Commons2.jpg

fenwick16
Jan 7, 2011, 9:54 PM
Thanks for posting. These are great action pictures. I can see why some people want to keep the oval.

someone123
Jan 7, 2011, 11:42 PM
Great pictures -- you should post them in the Canada photo thread.

JustinMacD
Jan 8, 2011, 12:21 AM
God I wish some of those buildings around the Commons were taller.

ewjonsson
Jan 8, 2011, 4:42 AM
God I wish some of those buildings around the Commons were taller.

I agree, but not all of them. I love the old buildings on North Park there, it would be so awesome to live there one day. But the buildings on Robie would have some of the best views in town if they were highrises.

halifaxboyns
Jan 8, 2011, 5:21 AM
I agree, but not all of them. I love the old buildings on North Park there, it would be so awesome to live there one day. But the buildings on Robie would have some of the best views in town if they were highrises.

Baby steps - baby steps. It takes time for developers to see a market and piece together the right number of parcels to build something with the right density.

someone123
Jan 10, 2011, 9:04 AM
HRM will soon be looking for expressions of interest from developers for the first of the Clyde Street lots. HbD allows for 8 storeys on that site.

Nice to see this finally moving forward but wow, what a painfully slow process.

The Allnovascotia article was also depressing in that it had a bunch of quotations from Nancy Tissington (I don't think they say who she is -- merchants' association?) that focus pretty much 100% on parking. Another person from Mills Broths claimed that it would be the "demise of Spring Garden Road" to develop the lot without hourly public parking.

The attitude is that they are competing with Bayers Lake and Dartmouth Crossing for the business of suburbanites. I find it really hard to believe that people from Hammonds Plains spend more at a store like Mills than South Enders and those living in expensive condos right around the store. I do agree that parking (structured, not surface lots) can be beneficial but it seems crazy how none of these people talk about pedestrian traffic, local residents, or transit. It's like they've got blinders on and are stuck in 1970.

I think Spring Garden Road is successful primarily because it does not rely on suburbanites coming in as much as Barrington or Gottingen. Those other two streets have more limited local populations and have utterly failed to become regional shopping destinations, despite efforts to bring in subsidized public parking (MetroPark by Barrington, etc.). The idea that somebody in a far-flung suburb was ever going to get in their car and go downtown to do their regular weekend shopping was always crazy.

kph06
Jan 10, 2011, 1:44 PM
I drove by QEH today and you can see right through the Robie Street windows and out the windows facing the back Quad (new emergency side). There appears to be little of the interior structure left, I'm starting to expect to drive by very soon and see the building as just a pile of brick. It would be pretty cool to see interior pictures of it in its current state.

JustinMacD
Jan 11, 2011, 1:02 AM
Anyone check out the new RBC design on Quinpool/Oxford. Looks way nicer. They take advantage of the corner very well.

kph06
Jan 11, 2011, 2:19 AM
Anyone check out the new RBC design on Quinpool/Oxford. Looks way nicer. They take advantage of the corner very well.

Yeah, it looks awesome, I think it is a great blend of the old and new. Hopefully more projects like this happen to give Quinpool a facelift.

Jstaleness
Jan 11, 2011, 11:36 PM
Mr. Majackson should know this one. With the addition of The Terraces II and The gladstone development cranes, does that make 14 cranes in HRM?

Dmajackson
Jan 12, 2011, 12:58 AM
Trillium
Hollis @ Morris
6955 Bayers
420 Larry Uteck Blvd
King's Wharf Residences
RCMP 'H' Division Headquarters (X2)
630 Larry Uteck Blvd
Coast Guard Headquarters
Gladstone Ridge
The Grainery / Terraces II
Mount Royale
Admiral Street Retirement
Russell Lake West

So yes 13 projects and 14 cranes in HRM right now.

Anyone keeping an eye on the Shannex building going up on College? That should be next in line to be added. :)

kph06
Jan 12, 2011, 1:19 AM
Trillium

Anyone keeping an eye on the Shannex building going up on College? That should be next in line to be added. :)

I go by there everyday. So far no sign of a crane base, the basement foundation is probably 2/3 or 3/4 complete.

musicman
Jan 12, 2011, 1:20 AM
The building down by the grain elevators has been started as well.. It has a crane on it which seems to have been there for a month or so give or take... Not sure what the name of it is.

Dmajackson
Jan 12, 2011, 2:02 AM
The building down by the grain elevators has been started as well.. It has a crane on it which seems to have been there for a month or so give or take... Not sure what the name of it is.

Thats the grainery of the Terraces II (whatever you feel like calling it).

halifaxboyns
Jan 12, 2011, 6:28 PM
Thats the grainery of the Terraces II (whatever you feel like calling it).

That's pretty impressive for Halifax considering the last crane count in Calgary was 18.
So that's not far behind!

Dmajackson
Jan 13, 2011, 3:19 AM
Nathan Green Square Revitalization Project Set to Begin
Halifax Regional Municipality Press Release

(January 12, 2011) HRM and Waterfront Development Corporation (WDCL) are working together to revitalize a well-travelled and well-loved destination on the Halifax waterfront, starting this week.

The two partners are investing in the Nathan Green Square Revitalization Project to refresh this public area located next to the Halifax Ferry Terminal, between the Halifax Harbour and the Law Courts.

There will be minimal disruption for pedestrians travelling through this area and the majority of the work will be completed by March 31, 2011. The improvements include a continuation of the timber boardwalk, new seating, enhanced landscape which will add year-round interest, improved lighting, and water views, as well as better access between this public area and Historic Properties.

As part of a revitalized landscaping plan, a series of trees that are at the end of their life cycle will be removed as well as some overgrown shrubbery. This will be replaced with new vegetation designed to provide a healthier green space, while improving water views and enhancing safety for the area.

HRM and the WDCL are each contributing $200,000 toward the Capital District Opportunity Project.

Mayor Peter Kelly said it was an appropriate time to make these changes because work is already underway to convert the adjacent ferry terminal to natural gas.

“HRM is always anticipating ways to operate more efficiently,” said Mayor Kelly. “This is an opportunity to both minimize disruptions to the public and re-energize this busy public waterfront area while other work is happening in the vicinity.”

"Partnering with HRM provides another opportunity to reinvest revenue back into the waterfront for the public's enjoyment," said Colin MacLean, President and CEO of WDCL. "With these project enhancements, residents and visitors will continue to experience the water’s edge and a destination spot like Nathan Green Square, for years to come."

Other partnership projects between HRM and WDCL include the children's playground on the Halifax waterfront and the Bedford Waterfront Design Study.

The square was dedicated in the name of Judge Nathan Green in 1983 to honour the work of the first member of Nova Scotia’s Jewish community to become a judge.

Recognized for his many contributions professionally and personally, he held the role of Chief Judge of Nova Scotia’s provincial court, and was a well-respected mediator and sought-after arbitrator within the legal community. The Halifax Public Library Board, the Shaar Shalom Synagogue, and the Rotary Club are just a few of the community groups and associations he actively contributed to over the years.

“Our family is very pleased to see this important public space revitalized - a space that holds special meaning for us,” said Sean Green, grandson of Nathan Green. “We look forward to seeing people enjoying the revitalized square this year and for years to come.”

Local university student TJ Maguire worked diligently to promote the revitalization of Nathan Green Square through a class project. His efforts were integral in sparking discussion around the site’s potential.

For more information on the project visit: www.my-waterfront.ca or www.halifax.ca.

WDCL is a provincial Crown corporation that manages provincially-owned land along the waterfronts from Halifax, Dartmouth, Bedford and Lunenburg. Revenues are directly reinvested in the waterfronts to drive economic opportunity, enhance tourism, provide experiences and reflect and protect marine heritage.

someone123
Jan 13, 2011, 4:29 AM
This is the part of the waterfront they are talking about:

http://www.halifax.ca/rec/images/NGreenSq.jpg
Source (http://www.halifax.ca/rec/specialeventsites.html)

--

There was an ANS article today about development fees today with quotations from Sloane about the Sam the Record Man, Alexander, and Salter block projects possibly starting in the spring. That would be nice.

sdm
Jan 13, 2011, 11:31 AM
This is the part of the waterfront they are talking about:

http://www.halifax.ca/rec/images/NGreenSq.jpg
Source (http://www.halifax.ca/rec/specialeventsites.html)

--

There was an ANS article today about development fees today with quotations from Sloane about the Sam the Record Man, Alexander, and Salter block projects possibly starting in the spring. That would be nice.

I think there might be a project start this spring, but its not any listed above.

Northend Guy
Jan 13, 2011, 6:41 PM
So yes 13 projects and 14 cranes in HRM right now.

The apartments on top of City Center Atlantic are getting fairly close to proceeding. They are currently in the process of arranging to get things shuffled around on the roof so that the crane can start to be assembled. I imagine given the location this will be a fairly awkward process. I have heard that the intent is to get the crane up within the next couple of months.

kph06
Jan 13, 2011, 7:12 PM
My guess is they'll have things ready to swtich over from the Vic to City Centre, so I think the Vic crane will come down and get re-erected ontop of City Centre. In the past Dexel doesn't seem to start one project untill their previous project is in the final stages.

Northend Guy
Jan 13, 2011, 7:25 PM
From the news957.com website:

Downtown development not developing as fast as businesses would like
Desiree Finhert Jan 13, 2011 10:28:38 AM
Be the first to Comment 0 Recommendation(s) Nearly two dozen development projects are unfinished or haven't started construction in Halifax's downtown core according to a map released by the Downtown Halifax Business Commission and the Dalhousie-based Planning and Design Centre. The sites are all in some stage of being approved with little to no road block and yet the commission questions why there are still so many vacant lots and empty buildings in the core.

"Developers are buying and assembling land, hiring architects, and working their way through the approval system," Paul MacKinnon, executive director wrote in his press release Wednesday. "Despite this, as you will note, most of these projects are not yet underway. Many it is conjectured will not happen for years, if ever."

The map refers to 23 projects in various stages of development from the Seaport Farmers Market which is open for business, but still under construction, to International Place which received approval in 1978 and hasn't broken ground.

What's also missing is $27 to $39 million in annual municipal taxes revenue these projects would bring in once completed. MacKinnon says a lot of these projects were planned before the economy collapsed in 2009, which would explain why some shovels are not breaking ground.

Coun. Dawn Sloan (Halifax Downtown) says things are moving forward however she says council should press some developers for timelines and construction start dates. She also suggest many projects will start work in the spring.

someone123
Jan 13, 2011, 7:34 PM
The apartments on top of City Center Atlantic are getting fairly close to proceeding. They are currently in the process of arranging to get things shuffled around on the roof so that the crane can start to be assembled. I imagine given the location this will be a fairly awkward process. I have heard that the intent is to get the crane up within the next couple of months.

Looking at the Bing's bird's eye view for that area, it's going to see a lot of changes very soon -- new apartments, the new TD building, and the new library. Add to that the impact of newer highrise buildings nearby like the Trillium and Martello and the whole Spring Garden strip is going to feel very modern.

On top of that we have the Clyde lots and that rumoured second Chickenburger...

Still waiting for the city to move forward with the street overhaul.

sdm
Jan 13, 2011, 8:14 PM
Looking at the Bing's bird's eye view for that area, it's going to see a lot of changes very soon -- new apartments, the new TD building, and the new library. Add to that the impact of newer highrise buildings nearby like the Trillium and Martello and the whole Spring Garden strip is going to feel very modern.

On top of that we have the Clyde lots and that rumoured second Chickenburger...

Still waiting for the city to move forward with the street overhaul.

If the RFI put out by the city for the Clyde street lots include the requirement for surface parking then there will be little to no development take place.

Those lots went to RFP back in 1987 where many submitted proposals to develop. In the end the committee chose to cancel the RFP due to the exact hudleds a recent article in allnovascotia stated (surface parking).

At least back then the height capacity on the lots were more then the 8 stories there is today.

I would hate to see history repeat itself as those lots need high density residential in a big way in order to keep Spring Garden road a retail destination.

someone123
Jan 13, 2011, 8:31 PM
If the RFI put out by the city for the Clyde street lots include the requirement for surface parking then there will be little to no development take place.

Those lots went to RFP back in 1987 where many submitted proposals to develop. In the end the committee chose to cancel the RFP due to the exact hudleds a recent article in allnovascotia stated (surface parking).

At least back then the height capacity on the lots were more then the 8 stories there is today.

Whether or not 8 storeys is viable depends on the price put on the lot.

I agree that it would be really unfortunate for surface parking to be a requirement but my guess is that some of those overseeing the RFP will not be in favour of it.

The whole thing personally seems very messed up to me since this site is worth so much money, maybe $5M for the one lot plus however much a new development would pay in fees and taxes. How can the HRM justify paying so much to provide cheap parking for businesses like Mills? And it's not even clear that it's producing much benefit (places like City Centre Atlantic are doing just fine and they do not rely on surface parking). Absolutely crazy.

macgregor
Jan 13, 2011, 11:44 PM
From the news957.com website:

Downtown development not developing as fast as businesses would like
Desiree Finhert Jan 13, 2011 10:28:38 AM
Be the first to Comment 0 Recommendation(s) Nearly two dozen development projects are unfinished or haven't started construction in Halifax's downtown core according to a map released by the Downtown Halifax Business Commission and the Dalhousie-based Planning and Design Centre. The sites are all in some stage of being approved with little to no road block and yet the commission questions why there are still so many vacant lots and empty buildings in the core.

"Developers are buying and assembling land, hiring architects, and working their way through the approval system," Paul MacKinnon, executive director wrote in his press release Wednesday. "Despite this, as you will note, most of these projects are not yet underway. Many it is conjectured will not happen for years, if ever."

The map refers to 23 projects in various stages of development from the Seaport Farmers Market which is open for business, but still under construction, to International Place which received approval in 1978 and hasn't broken ground.

What's also missing is $27 to $39 million in annual municipal taxes revenue these projects would bring in once completed. MacKinnon says a lot of these projects were planned before the economy collapsed in 2009, which would explain why some shovels are not breaking ground.

Coun. Dawn Sloan (Halifax Downtown) says things are moving forward however she says council should press some developers for timelines and construction start dates. She also suggest many projects will start work in the spring.

The PDC article is available here http://pdcentre.ca/learn.html

alps
Jan 14, 2011, 1:02 AM
Proposed Quinpool development may create traffic problems with drive-thru
Halifax Veterinary Clinic and Planet Organic to lose parking spaces
POSTED BY TIM BOUSQUET ON MON, JAN 10, 2011 AT 2:57 PM

Louis Lawen’s Dexel Developments is moving forward with plans to build a new building at the corner of Quinpool Road and Beech Street. As sketched in an ad on Kijiji (no longer live), the building will consist of a 2,000 square-foot first floor, envisioned as a coffeeshop, and an equally sized second floor office space. The first floor is listed at $5,000 per month, the second floor at $2,500 per month.
By itself, the development is unremarkable---it is an “as right” development that fits into the Quinpool districts C-1 zoning regulations. But there are two issues that may present problems.

First, the building is slated for what is now the parking lot used by the Halifax Veterinary Clinic and Planet Organic. A site plan shows that only the row of parking spaces immediately in front of those storefronts will remain, and they’ll lose about 75 percent of the existing spaces. Neither business returned phone calls for comment, which is unsurprising as they also rent from Lawen.

The second issue may be more problematic for the wider neighbourhood: plans show the coffeeshop having a drive-thru, with cars entering on Beech Street and exiting onto the already stop-and-go Quinpool.

“Those plans are just conceptional,” says Dexel’s Crystal Sutherland, the agent handling the lease. “It depends on if the renter wants a drive-thru.”

"That would more-than-likely require a traffic impact study, because that would generate more than 100 vehicles [per day], and that’s the cut-off,” says Ashley Blissett, a development engineer with the city. “Since it’s at a location where it’s already congested, and we have a set of signals, we’d be requiring them to provide us with more information.”

Dexel hasn’t yet acquired a building permit for the development. The Kijiji ad says it will take six months to build.

http://www.thecoast.ca/RealityBites/archives/2011/01/10/proposed-quinpool-development-may-create-traffic-problems-with-drive-thru
In other Quinpool news, I noticed today that H&R Block was setting up in the former Outside the Lines Books/Kung Fu T-Shirts space.

I'm not too keen on the Royal Bank renovation. I liked that the building had survived so many decades without a gaudy corporate rebrand. I guess it addresses the corner better...I just find aspects of the design very overdone and awkward.

http://i.imgur.com/bvAUy.png
(Credit: NSARM)

Grav
Jan 14, 2011, 1:20 AM
I agree with the above. I dont particularly like the "lifestyle" looking box they attached to the old royal bank building. The two designs really clash in a bad way. "lifestyle" design doesn't go good with anything. The inside looks like its been redone too. They have banners hanging with pictures smiling people and phrases like "Loans", "Mortgages" and "Savings". Its ridiculous :yuck:

halifaxboyns
Jan 14, 2011, 3:22 AM
I agree with the above. I dont particularly like the "lifestyle" looking box they attached to the old royal bank building. The two designs really clash in a bad way. "lifestyle" design doesn't go good with anything. The inside looks like its been redone too. They have banners hanging with pictures smiling people and phrases like "Loans", "Mortgages" and "Savings". Its ridiculous :yuck:

Oh you mean 'lifestyle graphics'? Or as one of my planner commrades out here calls them: "Happy white families with white children, with white dogs?" (trust me; the ones out here are NOT multi-cultural).

They are horrible ads - they came from the US. Walgreens started using them and then Shopper's Drug mart has picked them up. I'm not sure if HRM has rules for window signs, but out here we have a blanket rule that no more than 25% of the total window area (regardless of mullions) can be covered in advertising). It's mainly to help keep shop windows open so you can see in and they out (mainly for pedestrian shopping areas like spring garden road for example). Well these graphics end up covering the whole window and its really a big problem, especially along 17th avenue (our bigger version of SGR).

Grav
Jan 14, 2011, 4:59 PM
"lifestyle" is a term I personally use to identify modern commercial architecture and building styles. Originating from "lifestyle" centers it refers to buildings that are bright inside and have very casual decor (corny banners with smiling people included) to be appealing to people from all walks of modern 21st century life. For example a modern strip mall with fake windows and decorative trimming along the roof line that you would normally see on a modern house or piece of home furniture rather than a commercial building like below vvv

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Aj7blqHp6W6QLM:http://img.hgtvpro.com/HPRO/2008/10/29/BOGH09_Ph1_StripMall_w609.jpg&t=1

Or just like you said, a modern drug store with its murals along the walls with smiling people and phrases like "great prices for YOU daily!" As well as banks which are now alot less formal and furniture as well as interior decor that you would normally see inside of a middle class suburban home.

Place Ville Marie circa 1962 for example was NOT a "lifestyle" bank with its towering marble walls and floors dimly lit by pot lights creating a classy high end professional feel. It was a place to get dressed up to go too. A suit for gentlemen and a dress with white gloves for the ladies. Very upscale professional and even a bit intimidating if you weren't used to that kind of environment. Its what I would expect of a bank even today. sadly people today would rather walk around in jeans and a stained t-shirt instead of get dressed up and look decent to go out shopping or run errands. It shows how much society has regressed in the past 50 years.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/247/517164820_d9133d55ac.jpg