PDA

View Full Version : General Updates and News

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118

someone123
Mar 21, 2021, 8:43 PM
I think this article was mentioned previously. A summary of developments in the Dutch Village Road area (need to scroll past some other material): https://www.halifaxexaminer.ca/featured/a-fair-view-of-the-future-of-dutch-village-road/

Dramatic difference particularly once you imagine the new stuff beyond what's covered there as well as the street improvements.

I wonder if the St. Lawrence Place street frontage will be redone anytime soon. The Shoppers also seems out of place here now, not unlike the one on Robie.

someone123
Mar 22, 2021, 3:08 AM
https://i.imgur.com/uSplTCD.jpg
Source (https://www.facebook.com/Developments-HFX-1613177012119225/photos)

OldDartmouthMark
Mar 22, 2021, 11:44 AM
:previous:

Looks like somebody called in the crane cavalry to solve the housing shortage!

Keith P.
Mar 22, 2021, 2:19 PM
^^^ Are the buildings mid-frame CFB Stadacona?

Bone
Mar 22, 2021, 2:21 PM
We almost need to split this forum into different sections now haha, there are so many on the go in both the urban and suburban pages.

NS Bayman
Mar 22, 2021, 2:38 PM

Yes it is. The newer and uglier building is the Jr. Ranks mess and accommodations (Fleet Club). Interesting POV with the narrows not really in view.

Dartguard
Mar 22, 2021, 9:41 PM

I know this may set you off Keith but the older red brick building to the right in the photo are the Wellington Barracks. The Barracks used to house one of the two regiments that used to Garrison the Halifax defense complex. The other Regiment would occupy the Citadel and there are stories of the residents of Wellington coming up with interesting excuses to NOT go to the Citadel. Wellington was considered leading edge accommodations for its time . The Citadel a dungeon.

Wellington also had the distinction of being the first Buildings made of N.S. red brick clay that had the mortar survive Nova Scotia Winters. It is presently condemned but there are close copies of this structure still housing elements of U.K. forces.

someone123
Mar 22, 2021, 10:32 PM
Wellington also had the distinction of being the first Buildings made of N.S. red brick clay that had the mortar survive Nova Scotia Winters. It is presently condemned but there are close copies of this structure still housing elements of U.K. forces.

Originally I believe there were two structures and only one remains. There are lots of old photos of these barracks; each looked a bit different and maps show the footprint of both. It is too bad they didn't both survive. I hope the remaining portion is preserved.

I understand that this is still a military base but Halifax is kind of odd for having such historic areas treated in a utilitarian fashion. I'm happy at least that the North Park armoury seems to be getting a good restoration job. I wonder how long it will be before the scaffolding comes off the main facade, if it's still up.

I doubt it'll happen but I wish something better would be built for the old naval clock too. Maybe it could be moved back closer to where it was around the Cogswell lands, with a reconstruction that gives an impression of what the ordnance yard was like (https://hmhps.ca/sites/halifax-ordnance-yard).

OldDartmouthMark
Mar 23, 2021, 4:32 AM
I know this may set you off Keith but the older red brick building to the right in the photo are the Wellington Barracks. The Barracks used to house one of the two regiments that used to Garrison the Halifax defense complex. The other Regiment would occupy the Citadel and there are stories of the residents of Wellington coming up with interesting excuses to NOT go to the Citadel. Wellington was considered leading edge accommodations for its time . The Citadel a dungeon.

Interesting... what year was it built?

You say it's condemned - is its demolition imminent?

OldDartmouthMark
Mar 23, 2021, 5:05 AM
I understand that this is still a military base but Halifax is kind of odd for having such historic areas treated in a utilitarian fashion.

Is this any different than how DND treats other military properties in the rest of Canada?

You're right, though, in that most historic buildings in Halifax are not treated any differently than a Burnside tilt-up that has outlived its usefulness. Thankfully some still exist, but I would consider very few to be safe against some future demolition if there happened to be a good business case for redevelopment of the property that it's on.

Drybrain
Mar 23, 2021, 11:29 AM

Yeah, I’d like to learn more about that. I’ve never heard anything about it being condemned, and it’s a federal heritage building, which should accord it maximum protection.

Keith P.
Mar 23, 2021, 12:03 PM
I know this may set you off Keith but the older red brick building to the right in the photo are the Wellington Barracks.

I have no issues with legitimately old red brick buildings. Its overuse to attempt to mimic those old buildings in new faux-Victorian structures (esp in the relatively recent past when such gestures were a necessity, along with styroforam cornice appliques), to get approval for development is what sets me off.

mleblanc
Mar 23, 2021, 1:42 PM

This link (https://hmhps.ca/sites/wellington-barracks-and-rcr-gate) has some interesting pictures from back in the day and a bit of history surrounding the Wellington Barracks. The building that is left is the Officers Quarters, and the larger building had been torn down some time ago, that is where the drill hall stands today. Interestingly, the RCR gate is still visible on Gottingen.

OldDartmouthMark
Mar 23, 2021, 3:50 PM
This link (https://hmhps.ca/sites/wellington-barracks-and-rcr-gate) has some interesting pictures from back in the day and a bit of history surrounding the Wellington Barracks. The building that is left is the Officers Quarters, and the larger building had been torn down some time ago, that is where the drill hall stands today. Interestingly, the RCR gate is still visible on Gottingen.

Thanks for that - it's very interesting.

After seeing those photos, I was reminded of a related blog post I had read some time ago:
https://halifaxbloggers.ca/noticedinnovascotia/2019/03/an-extraordinary-new-building-on-gottingen-street/

Dmajackson
Mar 26, 2021, 4:08 AM
2050 Gottingen Street

https://64.media.tumblr.com/6ad5cf7883ea54237941ca0fa538a2cd/7b1eb7b4396944f7-45/s1280x1920/f9bebc6e3cf5c0d375aa772932b4800c1b840f2a.jpg
Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson) (https://urbanhalifax.tumblr.com/)

Good Baklava
Mar 26, 2021, 4:52 AM
Interesting, is that a small gap for light in the rear of the building?

MeEtc
Mar 27, 2021, 3:00 PM
All buildings now gone and crane base was installed yesterday on the lot of former 6438-6463 Bayers Rd (area between Dr Piano and catholic church)

someone123
Mar 27, 2021, 10:26 PM
Looks like the dark brown lowrise building mid-block between Grafton and Market (former bank cheque processing facility?) is coming down: https://www.facebook.com/Developments-HFX-1613177012119225/photos/3208088642628046

Could this mean that the days are numbered for visibility of the ugly blank red wall?

kph06
Mar 27, 2021, 10:32 PM
Looks like the dark brown lowrise building mid-block between Grafton and Market (former bank cheque processing facility?) is coming down: https://www.facebook.com/Developments-HFX-1613177012119225/photos/3208088642628046

Could this mean that the days are numbered for visibility of the ugly blank red wall?

That’s positive to see. Dexel bought the building a few years ago and recently got Maxwell’s. I had heard it will likely be parking in the interim, maybe a beer garden for some of the space. They have a few projects in the queue at the moment.

Dmajackson
Mar 28, 2021, 12:51 AM
^New surface parking lots are banned in Downtown. It's the same in the Centre Plan area and is why when Steele demolished the houses on May Street the area was barricaded and left as an empty lot. The beer garden idea as an interim solution could be interesting though.

someone123
Mar 28, 2021, 12:57 AM
That’s positive to see. Dexel bought the building a few years ago and recently got Maxwell’s. I had heard it will likely be parking in the interim, maybe a beer garden for some of the space. They have a few projects in the queue at the moment.

I wonder what this means for the Maxwell's building or Pizza Corner. Maxwell's Plum is one of those "character" buildings that is not really a heritage landmark with some famous past or cultural significance (to my knowledge) but nevertheless helps to make this area interesting. Hopefully some concessions can be made around here.

Consider a lowrise streetscape concept that added more buildings that fit in with the wood and brick theme along Grafton, with residential above and a modern side on Market. It could really improve that block.

I am also curious how long it will be before we see a redo of Cambridge Suites.

atbw
Mar 28, 2021, 1:15 AM
I wonder what this means for the Maxwell's building or Pizza Corner. Maxwell's Plum is one of those "character" buildings that is not really a heritage landmark with some famous past or cultural significance (to my knowledge) but nevertheless helps to make this area interesting. Hopefully some concessions can be made around here.

Consider a lowrise streetscape concept that added more buildings that fit in with the wood and brick theme along Grafton, with residential above and a modern side on Market. It could really improve that block.

I am also curious how long it will be before we see a redo of Cambridge Suites.

I wonder what incentive there is to subdivide lots?

OldDartmouthMark
Mar 28, 2021, 4:09 AM
Just saying, I will be upset if the Maxwell's building comes down. I have filtered many a brew in that establishment over the decades - as have many many others. IMHO it should be preserved as some sort of mainstay pub location... :cheers:

Drybrain
Mar 28, 2021, 1:19 PM
Just saying, I will be upset if the Maxwell's building comes down. I have filtered many a brew in that establishment over the decades - as have many many others. IMHO it should be preserved as some sort of mainstay pub location... :cheers:

If the Maxwell's building is demolished, it'll be very unfortunate, but completely unsurprising. The building itself predates 1850 and is one of the very few old-Halifax character buildings around here. It was also one of the buildings that was listed for heritage registration last year in that big mass-heritage designation, that was gutted by council after property owners lost it over the supposed unfairness of having their buildings designated.

But, of course, the height limit here is 28 metres, so around 10 storeys, and if Dexel owns it, I can easily see it getting knocked down without a second thought. Dexel is one of the better developers in terms of quality of new builds, but is basically clueless about how to utilize historic resources to improve developments. Though that isn't unique--most of our major developers are horrendous at this. I don't have much faith that anything not nailed down with a heritage designation won't be ripped down, no matter its architectural quality, size, historic relevance, etc. (And sometimes even designated buildings are at risk. Recall Dexel's application to destroy registered heritage properties on Barrington, which fortunately seems to have passed.)

Of course, whatever happens here will almost by default have to be an improvement, since the block is so dire. But since the Maxwell's building only occupies like 5 percent of the developable area, it would be ideal if it were left alone, or more imaginatively used as a character-defining lynchpin for a new streetscape, rather than just getting casually knocked down so a handful more apartments can be built above it.

OldDartmouthMark
Mar 28, 2021, 2:03 PM
If the Maxwell's building is demolished, it'll be very unfortunate, but completely unsurprising. The building itself predates 1850 and is one of the very few old-Halifax character buildings around here. It was also one of the buildings that was listed for heritage registration last year in that big mass-heritage designation, that was gutted by council after property owners lost it over the supposed unfairness of having their buildings designated.

But, of course, the height limit here is 28 metres, so around 10 storeys, and if Dexel owns it, I can easily see it getting knocked down without a second thought. Dexel is one of the better developers in terms of quality of new builds, but is basically clueless about how to utilize historic resources to improve developments. Though that isn't unique--most of our major developers are horrendous at this. I don't have much faith that anything not nailed down with a heritage designation won't be ripped down, no matter its architectural quality, size, historic relevance, etc. (And sometimes even designated buildings are at risk. Recall Dexel's application to destroy registered heritage properties on Barrington, which fortunately seems to have passed.)

Of course, whatever happens here will almost by default have to be an improvement, since the block is so dire. But since the Maxwell's building only occupies like 5 percent of the developable area, it would be ideal if it were left alone, or more imaginatively used as a character-defining lynchpin for a new streetscape, rather than just getting casually knocked down so a handful more apartments can be built above it.

Well said, and I completely agree with every one of your points.

Sadly enough, it's true, and I've actually become quite despondent about heritage/landmark preservation in Halifax overall. On this board I used to be quite :lynchmob: whenever another heritage building was leveled or gutted, but now that's pretty much been snuffed out to a :shrug: reaction.

In this city, it's pretty much up to luck as to whether any aspect of any historical building will be saved, despite the historical nature of Halifax, and it seems that council is totally immersed in making us appear progressive (i.e. massive focus on bike lanes, zero focus on heritage preservation), while at the same time cavalierly holding up large developments on empty lots (see Richmond Yards thread) due to some inane personal preference or whatever - meanwhile people looking for places to live, or looking to change their living situation are still having a hard time finding anything while prices continue to rise. Don't get me wrong, I still think bike lanes/transit, etc., are very important, but it would be nice to see some balance here.

A person might say, well, perhaps you should form an advocacy group for heritage properties - but it has already been done (including one involving some members of the forum here) without success. In fact the Heritage Trust has become a target of mockery here, where nobody takes it seriously, and all the "friends of" groups have made anybody trying to preserve anything look like a bunch of dicks in the public's eyes, due to their apparent goal of preserving their own interests with often questionable logic.

Sigh... :(

Drybrain
Mar 28, 2021, 2:13 PM
A person might say, well, perhaps you should form an advocacy group for heritage properties - but it has already been done (including one involving some members of the forum here) without success. In fact the Heritage Trust has become a target of mockery here, where nobody takes it seriously, and all the "friends of" groups have made anybody trying to preserve anything look like a bunch of dicks in the public's eyes, due to their apparent goal of preserving their own interests with often questionable logic.

Sigh... :(

The fact that the Heritage Trust have spent two years on this ridiculous crusade (https://www.halifaxexaminer.ca/city-hall/nova-scotias-highest-court-hears-brunswick-street-heritage-appeal/) to marginally shrink down this project on Brunswick Street, even as historic buildings succumb left and right with barely a word from them, is very telling of the group's complete irrelevance.

OldDartmouthMark
Mar 28, 2021, 3:05 PM
The fact that the Heritage Trust have spent two years on this ridiculous crusade (https://www.halifaxexaminer.ca/city-hall/nova-scotias-highest-court-hears-brunswick-street-heritage-appeal/) to marginally shrink down this project on Brunswick Street, even as historic buildings succumb left and right with barely a word from them, is very telling of the group's complete irrelevance.

Not sure which project you're talking about...
This content is for subscribers only.
...but I agree with your assessment, sadly enough. I didn't mean to turn this into a debate as to the effectiveness of the HT.

But what about AGBANS (The Action Group for Better Architecture in Nova Scotia), which was formed by members of this forum to advocate for preservation of historic and significant architecture in NS. It involved very knowledgeable and well-meaning members (I don't recall who), and they seemed to have important and reasonable goals, but I noticed that their website does not exist any longer and there have been no new entries on their twitter account (https://twitter.com/theagbans?lang=en) since 2018. There is some activity on their facebook account (https://www.facebook.com/theAGBANS/), but alas, no improvement to the situation (as you mentioned).

This isn't a criticism of AGBANS either, just a note about the futility of trying to change things in Halifax.

Good Baklava
Mar 28, 2021, 5:45 PM
Maxwell’s Plum is a gem, I would be sad to see it go.

Developers are usually willing to keep heritage buildings so long as they are conducive to profit. Beyond the reluctance to get a heritage designation there are dissuading factors relating to taxes and insurance.

Drybrain
Mar 28, 2021, 7:50 PM
Maxwell’s Plum is a gem, I would be sad to see it go.

Developers are usually willing to keep heritage buildings so long as they are conducive to profit. Beyond the reluctance to get a heritage designation there are dissuading factors relating to taxes and insurance.

I can't imagine that owning a popular bar in the middle of downtown Halifax is a bad business to be in, either. It would seem to make lot of business sense to be the developer who saves one of the city's landmark pubs, and uses it as the cornerstone (almost literally) of a new development.

Think of it now: "Live at The Plum on Grafton. One-bedrooms starting at $599,000; biggest beer selection in the city literally at your doorstep."

someone123
Mar 28, 2021, 8:40 PM
I can't imagine that owning a popular bar in the middle of downtown Halifax is a bad business to be in, either. It would seem to make lot of business sense to be the developer who saves one of the city's landmark pubs, and uses it as the cornerstone (almost literally) of a new development.

Think of it now: "Live at The Plum on Grafton. One-bedrooms starting at $599,000; biggest beer selection in the city literally at your doorstep."

The development could be an opportunity to improve the bar space and enhance the building or facade.

I guess we don't know that there's won't be a good outcome. The failure is that poor municipal governance leaves too much up to chance when they could prevent some of the really bad outcomes on what amounts to perhaps the most sensitive 0.1% of potential development land in the city.

Maybe Dexel has changed their outlook due to events like the pushback against the Barrington demolitions. I think they may have exceeded the minimum heritage bar for Press Block. The potential for this block really goes beyond Maxwell's Plum since it's the biggest drag on what's overall a pretty vibrant area. A couple of good developments in key spots could tie together Spring Garden Road and the nightlife area and add a lot of commercial potential in the long run.

Dartguard
Mar 28, 2021, 8:42 PM

The new owners have reduced the Beer selection down from 100 to 60.

atbw
Mar 29, 2021, 12:21 AM
A couple of good developments in key spots could tie together Spring Garden Road and the nightlife area and add a lot of commercial potential in the long run.

Right now there is a pretty strong disconnect between this part of downtown and SGR, I agree that pushing that vibrancy through some of the surface lots would really tie in SGR to the downtown in a meaningful way.

OldDartmouthMark
Mar 29, 2021, 3:06 PM
Random thoughts from a 'regular guy on the internet who is not a planning expert':
I've been looking forward to the 'bank bunker' being taken down for years. It served its purpose, but is definitely a blight on the downtown now. It would be great if the Maxwell's building could somehow be incorporated into whatever new development goes in there, but it would have to somehow involve maintaining the existing structure, which I can't see them doing (maybe I'll be surprised). Who knows? It could involve an incorporation into the new structure a la Durty Nelly's, or maybe it will just go away (Maxwell's has been closed for some time now).

Regarding tying in the downtown to SGR, I'm not sure this alone would do it for those who feel it, but to be honest I don't really feel a disconnect when I'm there. I know it's just a two minute walk to get wherever I want to go. IMHO, if anything, I find that the Maritime Centre building cuts the downtown off from SGR more than anything...

Some retail/bar/restaurant frontage along Grafton is a must, IMHO, but anything will be better than the 'bank bunker'. Looking forward to witnessing the result...

mleblanc
Mar 29, 2021, 3:18 PM
Random thoughts from a 'regular guy on the internet who is not a planning expert':
I've been looking forward to the 'bank bunker' being taken down for years. It served its purpose, but is definitely a blight on the downtown now. It would be great if the Maxwell's building could somehow be incorporated into whatever new development goes in there, but it would have to somehow involve maintaining the existing structure, which I can't see them doing (maybe I'll be surprised). Who knows? It could involve an incorporation into the new structure a la Durty Nelly's, or maybe it will just go away (Maxwell's has been closed for some time now).

Regarding tying in the downtown to SGR, I'm not sure this alone would do it for those who feel it, but to be honest I don't really feel a disconnect when I'm there. I know it's just a two minute walk to get wherever I want to go. IMHO, if anything, I find that the Maritime Centre building cuts the downtown off from SGR more than anything...

Some retail/bar/restaurant frontage along Grafton is a must, IMHO, but anything will be better than the 'bank bunker'. Looking forward to witnessing the result...

I think it's under the view plane, so I doubt we'll see any landmark developments for this site which is a shame due to the size of the lot and location.

Working with what we have - I think a nice "Velo" style building with a good mid-rise street wall, ground floor retail, and tasteful variance on building material to break up this huge lot would fit really well here.

OldDartmouthMark
Mar 30, 2021, 12:47 PM
I think it's under the view plane, so I doubt we'll see any landmark developments for this site which is a shame due to the size of the lot and location.

Working with what we have - I think a nice "Velo" style building with a good mid-rise street wall, ground floor retail, and tasteful variance on building material to break up this huge lot would fit really well here.

I like your idea of using variances in materials to break up the building, as it's going to be a long one - almost a 'block buster' actually (another argument for saving the Maxwell's Plum bldg... lol). I'm assuming they own the surface parking lot on the corner of Market and Blowers as well?

I wonder what the max height is allowed on this lot? The Dillon has to be 9 or 10 floors on the back side, so there should be allowance for some height in that location, even if it's not a huge tower.

Whatever they do, it will be an improvement over the current situation. I'm glad to see something happening there.

IanWatson
Mar 31, 2021, 2:09 PM
Post-bonus height limit is 28 metres on that site. So probably 8-9 storeys, depending on the design.

worldlyhaligonian
Mar 31, 2021, 6:32 PM
Post-bonus height limit is 28 metres on that site. So probably 8-9 storeys, depending on the design.

It's insane how we've been normalized to these formulas... 8-9 stories is a laughable height for this site.

someone123
Mar 31, 2021, 6:36 PM
It's insane how we've been normalized to these formulas... 8-9 stories is a laughable height for this site.

I believe this one has to do with preserving views between the Citadel and George's Island so at least it does have a coherent rationale. And maybe it has become more valuable now that the island is open to the public.

I can't help but notice though how there is a cone of crappy development emanating from the Citadel around this area, extending over the likes of the MetroPark.

worldlyhaligonian
Mar 31, 2021, 6:54 PM
I believe this one has to do with preserving views between the Citadel and George's Island so at least it does have a coherent rationale. And maybe it has become more valuable now that the island is open to the public.

I can't help but notice though how there is a cone of crappy development emanating from the Citadel around this area, extending over the likes of the MetroPark.

I guess in this case... but the RCMP site (although not DT) has similar kind of metrics imposed.

In the end, I'm not sure Centre plan is a succcess.

Keith P.
Mar 31, 2021, 8:36 PM
I guess in this case... but the RCMP site (although not DT) has similar kind of metrics imposed.

In the end, I'm not sure Centre plan is a succcess.

I'm quite sure it isn't.

It is in part the result of wannabe planners like Mason and Austin acting like management staff and dictating what they wanted to see in the thing.

Good Baklava
Mar 31, 2021, 9:21 PM
I'm quite sure it isn't.

It is in part the result of wannabe planners like Mason and Austin acting like management staff and dictating what they wanted to see in the thing.

I thought Austin was a planner.

Grav
Mar 31, 2021, 11:03 PM
https://u.teknik.io/VJqUd.jpeg

Took this picture tonight, (too big to put in the post) the monochromatic blank walls and the simple line of windows is a composition only an architect could appreciate. My issue is not blank walls, it was the hostility of the buildings security to anyone passing. I understand there was sensitive information in the building criminals would love to get their hands on, but for someone like me who is not a criminal, I could care less. I would try to express how little I care but I will refrain out fear the forum would implode in on itself. Goodbye squeaky garage doors, goodbye self righteous cameras assuming every pedestrian minding their own business has criminal intent! Halifax won’t miss you!

Also, don’t mistake me as a supporter of the outrageous amount of luxury housing being built in the city. That’s a whole different problem

Keith P.
Apr 1, 2021, 11:16 AM
I thought Austin was a planner.

He gave up that job with the Feds. Unfortunately he seems to think he is now employed in the HRM PLanning Dept.

Keith P.
Apr 1, 2021, 11:19 AM
https://u.teknik.io/VJqUd.jpeg

Took this picture tonight, (too big to put in the post) the monochromatic blank walls and the simple line of windows is a composition only an architect could appreciate. My issue is not blank walls, it was the hostility of the buildings security to anyone passing. I understand there was sensitive information in the building criminals would love to get their hands on, but for someone like me who is not a criminal, I could care less. I would try to express how little I care but I will refrain out fear the forum would implode in on itself. Goodbye squeaky garage doors, goodbye self righteous cameras assuming every pedestrian minding their own business has criminal intent! Halifax won’t miss you!

Also, don’t mistake me as a supporter of the outrageous amount of luxury housing being built in the city. That’s a whole different problem

The planning dogma fails to appreciate that not every building can have street-level cafes and boutiques. Some actually have to serve their intended purpose.

As an aside, I would rather have luxury housing being built than gray concrete boxes owned by govt.

OldDartmouthMark
Apr 1, 2021, 5:22 PM
Blank walls and security cameras in general don't bother me (security cameras are in place to record events in case criminal activity occurs, not to assume all passers-by are criminals), but in this case, given its location and proximity to the Nova Centre and Argyle Street, it seems only natural that it should contain some restaurants/bars/shops to continue the vibe up one level and connect pizza corner to the NC area. I can't see how it could be perceived as a bad thing, to be honest.

And, IMHO, that Symcor bunker is butt-ugly and always has been. I'll be happy to see it go. (with the understanding that I'm not a planning expert or architect, just a guy-on-the-street with opinions about what he likes/dislikes... :D)

Saul Goode
Apr 1, 2021, 6:21 PM
Blank walls and security cameras in general don't bother me (security cameras are in place to record events in case criminal activity occurs, not to assume all passers-by are criminals)

I'm equally uncomfortable with being under video surveillance 24-7. It's hard to object to it on private property (like Symcor, in this case), but I'm really not happy about cameras installed by police or any government agency to monitor public spaces.

But I guess that's really not a discussion for this thread, so I'll just leave it at that.

Keith P.
Apr 1, 2021, 6:41 PM
Blank walls and security cameras in general don't bother me (security cameras are in place to record events in case criminal activity occurs, not to assume all passers-by are criminals), but in this case, given its location and proximity to the Nova Centre and Argyle Street, it seems only natural that it should contain some restaurants/bars/shops to continue the vibe up one level and connect pizza corner to the NC area. I can't see how it could be perceived as a bad thing, to be honest.

So by that logic, bank branches would be disallowed in that area since they do not provide the right kind of vibe. Same with medical clinics, dentists, optometrists, law offices... the list is endless. Clearly a huge gap in the much-vaunted HRM planning encyclopedia, which (thank Richard Florida!) eliminated any sort of automotive business activity in the subject area, but not those other sorts of no-vibe businesses. Clearly a major revision of the planning opus is required to bring it in line with the current dogma!

Saul Goode
Apr 1, 2021, 8:27 PM
So by that logic, bank branches would be disallowed in that area since they do not provide the right kind of vibe. Same with ... the list is endless. Clearly a huge gap in the much-vaunted HRM planning encyclopedia, which (thank Richard Florida!) eliminated any sort of automotive business activity in the subject area, but not those other sorts of no-vibe businesses. Clearly a major revision of the planning opus is required to bring it in line with the current dogma!

Sarcasm (though appreciated) aside, I think there's merit and reason in what both of you are saying. It could but needn't necessarily be bars/restaurants/storefront consumer goods retail - it could be exactly the types of uses Keith mentioned (medical clinics, dentists, optometrists, law offices). The key is not necessarily duplicating the vibe of Pizza Corner or the bar district (if I can call it that), but simply making an attractive, hospitable pedestrian-scale streetscape as opposed to a hostile monolithic concrete cheque-clearing fortress.

Keith P.
Apr 1, 2021, 9:07 PM
Sarcasm (though appreciated) aside, I think there's merit and reason in what both of you are saying. It could but needn't necessarily be bars/restaurants/storefront consumer goods retail - it could be exactly the types of uses Keith mentioned (medical clinics, dentists, optometrists, law offices). The key is not necessarily duplicating the vibe of Pizza Corner or the bar district (if I can call it that), but simply making an attractive, hospitable pedestrian-scale streetscape as opposed to a hostile monolithic concrete cheque-clearing fortress.

I have fond if somewhat blurry memories from my DT bar-hopping days of using the armored car bays along Grafton St as rain/snow shelters late at night while waiting for a ride, and also of chatting up the young ladies who worked clearing cheques when they popped out for a smoke/coffee break. That was a good vibe for me. :D

Saul Goode
Apr 1, 2021, 11:09 PM
I have fond if somewhat blurry memories from my DT bar-hopping days of using the armored car bays along Grafton St as rain/snow shelters late at night while waiting for a ride, and also of chatting up the young ladies who worked clearing cheques when they popped out for a smoke/coffee break. That was a good vibe for me. :D

"Hey sugar, looking to get your cheque cleared tonight?"

"No thanks, ma'am - there's a hold on it for now..."

Dartguard
Apr 1, 2021, 11:31 PM
"Hey sugar, looking to get your cheque cleared tonight?"

"No thanks, ma'am - there's a hold on it for now..."

Well, there's a picture that won't soon leave my head.

Why not Rub ya belly Guvna.

OldDartmouthMark
Apr 2, 2021, 5:07 AM
I'm equally uncomfortable with being under video surveillance 24-7. It's hard to object to it on private property (like Symcor, in this case), but I'm really not happy about cameras installed by police or any government agency to monitor public spaces.

But I guess that's really not a discussion for this thread, so I'll just leave it at that.

I'm not happy with any of it, but find it hard to get excited over security cameras that a company has spent money on to protect their property/employees when you consider what else is out there.

Having had the experience (as have you) of living in a time before cell phones and the internet, I've grown to detest how we as a society have willingly given up our sense of privacy in exchange for a few novel gadgets. Now that "we" have embraced using such devices in combination with the internet for bullying, shaming, cancelling, using out of context, etc., the idea of a simple security camera being used to protect a business seems kind of quaint in comparison.

Not to mention AI driven identity cameras that can be used for all kinds of nefarious or just capitalistic purposes. On top of that, other types of cameras (dashcams, small "spy" cams, etc.) also add to the saturation of visual/audio recording devices to the point that it's hard to believe I once chuckled at Orwell's 1984 as something that wouldn't/couldn't happen. In reality his prediction was just a little late.

In the end you pretty much have to accept that whenever you are in public there is a good chance you will be in somebody's video - but there's no point in driving yourself crazy over it. The tech industry had already sold out our sense of privacy a long time ago when we weren't really paying attention, and there's nothing that any of us can really do about it (unless you want to do the hermit in the woods thing while wearing your tinfoil hat...).

Anyhow, my apologies for the major derail... I suppose this was the 'not really a discussion for this thread' part? ;)

OldDartmouthMark
Apr 2, 2021, 5:16 AM
So by that logic, bank branches would be disallowed in that area since they do not provide the right kind of vibe. Same with medical clinics, dentists, optometrists, law offices... the list is endless. Clearly a huge gap in the much-vaunted HRM planning encyclopedia, which (thank Richard Florida!) eliminated any sort of automotive business activity in the subject area, but not those other sorts of no-vibe businesses. Clearly a major revision of the planning opus is required to bring it in line with the current dogma!

"Should contain some" is very far from "disallowing anything that isn't".

If there is a need for those types of businesses in this location, it seems reasonable that they should be able to open there. Heck, there are already several bank branches in the area which would prove your assertion to be correct (not to mention the BMO regional office in the NC).

I'm only saying that, as an average guy on the street, and not a pusher of planning dogma, I would like to see bars and restaurants there (because :cheers:). Nobody listens to, or cares about, what I have to say, so no need to get your knickers in a knot over it... :D

mleblanc
Apr 2, 2021, 10:08 PM
"Should contain some" is very far from "disallowing anything that isn't".

If there is a need for those types of businesses in this location, it seems reasonable that they should be able to open there. Heck, there are already several bank branches in the area which would prove your assertion to be correct (not to mention the BMO regional office in the NC).

I'm only saying that, as an average guy on the street, and not a pusher of planning dogma, I would like to see bars and restaurants there (because :cheers:). Nobody listens to, or cares about, what I have to say, so no need to get your knickers in a knot over it... :D

A lot of folks on this forum have this mentality I find, and you worded this very well. It's an obvious location where retail/hospitality would thrive; saying I advocate for it doesn't mean I would be pitchforks up about anything else.

My general attitude is that I really do love this city, and investment in human scale developments that improve the peoples lives that live in the area is a good thing and should not be thwarted as much as it happens here, by dated planning laws, attitudes, etc. The Centre Plan is a good first attempt at streamlining this process but falls incredibly short of what our potential could be IMO.

someone123
Apr 2, 2021, 10:16 PM
The Centre Plan is a good first attempt at streamlining this process but falls incredibly short of what our potential could be IMO.

I find that the Centre Plan takes a bland prescriptive tack on many issues and is obsessed with height and density to a degree that's out of scale with the true importance of those factors on quality of life of the city. I believe that in general developers and architects are better at making decisions about new developments than planners who try to predict what will be best 5-30 years into the future, and so it is good to delay decision making or leave room for creativity and flexibility whenever possible. Hopefully the Centre Plan will be a living document and will allow developers to push the envelope in the future, not set development norms of circa 2008 in stone forever.

If you think of the kind of developments that have really made great spaces in the city or in other cities, they were generally far outside of the norm of their day, and a lot of that is verboten under the style of planning rules being developed for Halifax. Imagine the Citadel being built in a town of 20,000 people or the Dominion Building going up next to a bunch of 3-4 storey structures or the Dingle rising above the trees around there. Could the Macdonald bridge even be built today? Even Richmond Yards is sort of pushing the envelope and it's about the same height as the tallest Halifax building circa 1970, going up in a semi-industrial area by a planned major transit node.

Citizen_Bane
Apr 3, 2021, 1:59 PM
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51092603845_01803e5f3c_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kQSX5R)Brewery Park 3 (https://flic.kr/p/2kQSX5R) by Citizen Bane (https://www.flickr.com/photos/187746917@N03/), on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51091794196_4dc37b8ac5_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kQNNpo)Brewery Park 2 (https://flic.kr/p/2kQNNpo) by Citizen Bane (https://www.flickr.com/photos/187746917@N03/), on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51091873949_c224a71f85_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kQPd7r)Brewery Park 1 photo (https://flic.kr/p/2kQPd7r) by Citizen Bane (https://www.flickr.com/photos/187746917@N03/), on Flickr

The house just to the north of Brewery Park on Agricola St. has come down. IIRC there is to be a second phase of this project to be built. Perhaps the second phase will be built sooner than later. The view down Bilby St. provides a bit context...so much happening in this area.

someone123
Apr 3, 2021, 5:28 PM
Nice pictures. Does anyone have a rendering of Brewery Park that includes phase 2? I only see the first part on the website. I recall an illustration with a larger row of buildings when the website first went up but I am not sure if that was meant as an accurate rendering and I cannot find it now.

Dmajackson
Apr 3, 2021, 11:44 PM
Nice pictures. Does anyone have a rendering of Brewery Park that includes phase 2? I only see the first part on the website. I recall an illustration with a larger row of buildings when the website first went up but I am not sure if that was meant as an accurate rendering and I cannot find it now.

i remember that rendering too. It was on the original website which now redirects to brewerypark.ca (https://brewerypark.ca/) which doesn't have it. No luck on their social media either.

I'm happy to see this project expand especially with the quality of the existing building. More retail and short-term accommodations are welcome additions to Agricola Street. In the next decade I think Agricola will become mostly commercial oriented from Cunard to Young. Some residential only buildings will remain and there will be gaps (Olands Brewery and Bloomfield School). Nice thing is the developments along the street are small-scale infill projects. The big projects that bring the density are nearby but none are directly impacting the streetscape. I like to imagine a vibrant retail strip connecting The Commons to The Hydrostone.

Citizen_Bane
Apr 4, 2021, 7:46 PM
Halifax ‘running out of land’ for development

Stephen Adams, executive director of Urban Development Institute of Nova Scotia, says some developers are moving outside of Halifax to take advantage of developable land
about 23 hours ago By: Chris Stoodley

2710 SCENE construction DR128
(Dan Riedlhuber/St. Albert Gazette)

While Halifax has recently seen a development boom, a local developer says the city is running out of available land to meet the demand.
“The development that’s occurring now is moving along well, but the development and the proposals and the applications that are in the queue — we’re patiently waiting to get those approved,” Stephen Adams, executive director of Urban Development Institute of Nova Scotia, says. “And we’re running out of (developable) land. There’s running out of opportunities, and I know some developers are moving outside of HRM to take advantage of that land.”

Adams told NEWS 95.7's The Rick Howe Show the boom is mostly affecting residential properties.

Despite a global pandemic, buying property in Halifax has been difficult for many homebuyers — and developers can't seem to keep up.

“The developers and the builders and everyone associated with development are chomping at the bit to get more approvals," Adams, who was a Halifax councillor for nearly three decades, says. "We see the demand. There are houses that are selling in excess of $100,000 over asking — sight unseen — and need work.

“That’s unheard of.”

As an example, Adams says someone he occasionally works with saw a property listed for $450,000, submitted an offer of $525,000 and was only the fourth highest offer.

Purchasing a property in Halifax has been competitive. In 2018, properties would be on the market for an average of 34 days; that number dropped to an average of 10 days in 2020.

But Adams says Urban Development Institute of Nova Scotia isn't looking for more land to be available for development.

Instead, he says the way money is distributed through the government is a barrier.

“When the federal government gives monies to the municipality and they have to give them to not-for-profits, that encumbers what the builders and developers can do,” he says.

In December 2020, the federal and provincial governments announced a combined investment of $10.5 million into creating 52 affordable housing units in Halifax.

The North End Community Health Association was to receive $1.2 million to create 10 units, but Adams says that's "not the way to do things."

He says a request for proposal (RFP) with specific standards and requirements should be created putting the money into the private sector. Then, the terms can be handed over to the not-for-profits to run the buildings.

At the end of last year, Halifax launched an online system meant to hasten the speed affordable housing applications are approved. However, Adams says there have been some concerns that the system isn't properly working.

When Halifax reviews its budget, Adams says he'll ask the municipality to create a four-person team to review affordable housing applications.

"That does two things," he said. "It gets the affordable housing to the market quickly and it takes the pressure off the other processes and those other streams so those that aren't under the affordable housing program will have a little more speed with their approval process, too."

Author: Chris Stoodley HalifaxToday

By 'Halifax' I assume it is meant the Halifax peninsula. If this so, then where to next?

someone123
Apr 4, 2021, 8:10 PM
I think they are talking about all of HRM, since they refer to "outside HRM". I am not sure exactly how this works but some HRM reports give the impression of a concept of urban land reserve and that council effectively doles out new sites (i.e. withhold or grant development approval on private land).

I've been seeing some large developments in areas like Hants County. This is near Mount Uniacke:

http://forestlakescountryclub.ca/media/img/new-masterplan/the-woodlands.jpg
http://forestlakescountryclub.ca

If the Halifax regional council puts too many restrictions in place there will be leap frog sprawl extending into other counties. The net result may be negative.

Good Baklava
Apr 4, 2021, 10:05 PM
But Adams says Urban Development Institute of Nova Scotia isn't looking for more land to be available for development.

Instead, he says the way money is distributed through the government is a barrier.

“When the federal government gives monies to the municipality and they have to give them to not-for-profits, that encumbers what the builders and developers can do,” he says.

In December 2020, the federal and provincial governments announced a combined investment of $10.5 million into creating 52 affordable housing units in Halifax.

The North End Community Health Association was to receive $1.2 million to create 10 units, but Adams says that's "not the way to do things."

He says a request for proposal (RFP) with specific standards and requirements should be created putting the money into the private sector. Then, the terms can be handed over to the not-for-profits to run the buildings.

It just looks to me like he wants his whining clique of exploitative developers to profit from not-for-profit housing. Don’t let this false-hearted sellout fool you; Adams doesn’t give a hoot about affordability. Going to work for UDI immediately after leaving office shows who really does the talking.

IanWatson
Apr 5, 2021, 10:43 AM
Yeah that was a strange article. The headline is about "running out of land" but the article is about how the UDI wants its members to be given federal housing money.

Keith P.
Apr 5, 2021, 11:09 AM
It just looks to me like he wants his whining clique of exploitative developers to profit from not-for-profit housing. Don’t let this false-hearted sellout fool you; Adams doesn’t give a hoot about affordability. Going to work for UDI immediately after leaving office shows who really does the talking.

Well, someone is profiting from the handouts regardless. The people running the North End group are presumably not working for free. Neither are the contractors they hire to design and build the structures.

Colin May
Apr 7, 2021, 6:26 PM
Let us not forget the not-for-profit housing group near the MacDonald bridge which went belly up and never paid the contractors for all the government funded renovations. The contractors lost well north of six figures. A former councillor headed up the organisation and the books were a mess.

kzt79
Apr 7, 2021, 7:39 PM
Let us not forget the not-for-profit housing group near the MacDonald bridge which went belly up and never paid the contractors for all the government funded renovations. The contractors lost well north of six figures. A former councillor headed up the organisation and the books were a mess.

I’m sure this sort of thing will make contractors etc that much more enthusiastic about participating in any future efforts.

MeEtc
Apr 8, 2021, 12:51 AM
3 excavators were being unloaded tonight into the former national radiator lot, beside old lion's head tavern. Expect to see the tavern gone by tomorrow.

IanWatson
Apr 13, 2021, 7:21 PM
Bruno Builders is renovating 65 King Street in Dartmouth (the old Super 8).

Jonovision
Apr 13, 2021, 7:26 PM

That's good news. They always do good work. I assume it will stay as apartments?

Saul Goode
Apr 13, 2021, 7:36 PM

And originally known as the Maranova Suites

That's good news. They always do good work. I assume it will stay as apartments?

I hope for the best. I'm sure the interior needs it. The few times I was in it (in the 80s and 90s) it reminded me of nothing so much as a dark, dank concrete mausoleum.

Sadly, I doubt there's a lot anyone could do to improve the exterior of that turd of a building.

kph06
Apr 13, 2021, 8:09 PM
Construction permits been issued for 6459 Bayers Road.

The crane is going up here today. The one that just came down at Harbour Isle.

mleblanc
Apr 13, 2021, 10:48 PM
The crane is going up here today. The one that just came down at Harbour Isle.

Is that this one? (https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default/files/documents/city-hall/community-councils/210224rccc1021_0.pdf)

They need a crane that large for this?

kph06
Apr 13, 2021, 11:01 PM
Is that this one? (https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default/files/documents/city-hall/community-councils/210224rccc1021_0.pdf)

They need a crane that large for this?

Oops, quoted the wrong post. I don’t think it has a thread but probably should due to the size. I’ll do some searching and re-quote.

kph06
Apr 13, 2021, 11:04 PM
All buildings now gone and crane base was installed yesterday on the lot of former 6438-6463 Bayers Rd (area between Dr Piano and catholic church)

This is the one with the crane going up.

MeEtc
Apr 14, 2021, 11:58 PM
This is the one with the crane going up.
Nope, this is across the street from the crane.

Crane is on the even numbered side of the street.

6459 is a lot where a bungalow stood last year, and is just a hole in the ground right now. Google Street View (https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6539884,-63.6118515,3a,57.3y,357.97h,89.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sC5Gz-Lq9QWs74WEKgp5UjA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192).

Lot with crane is from Case 20658. https://www.halifax.ca/media/41871

kph06
Apr 15, 2021, 1:46 AM
Nope, this is across the street from the crane.

Crane is on the even numbered side of the street.

6459 is a lot where a bungalow stood last year, and is just a hole in the ground right now. Google Street View (https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6539884,-63.6118515,3a,57.3y,357.97h,89.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sC5Gz-Lq9QWs74WEKgp5UjA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192).

Lot with crane is from Case 20658. https://www.halifax.ca/media/41871

Yes, that is the site, near Dr. Piano as referenced from your post I quoted. Continues to Young.

OldDartmouthMark
Apr 15, 2021, 6:41 PM
The "friends of" people are keeping active...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/new-pool-proposal-for-halifax-common-faces-resistance-from-group-1.5988717

Members of the group Friends of the Halifax Common have told a Nova Scotia legislative committee that construction of a new pool should not be permitted on the green space until the public is consulted.

They believe too much of the Common is being eroded.

"Parking garages, a soccer stadium, the Oval and now an aquatic centre," said David Garrett, co-chair of the group, noting a number of changes over the years to the popular public space in central Halifax. "Perhaps they are necessary in this location, perhaps not."

The city wants to revamp the outdoor pool area at the Common. Construction of a new pool, splash pad and changing facility could cost $16.2 million.

But the project cannot proceed until the provincial legislation governing the Halifax Common is amended. The legislature's law amendments committee heard presentations on the proposed changes on Thursday morning. Alan Ruffman, the other co-chair of Friends of the Halifax Common, also argued against approving Bill 103.

Yes, because, like, why would we want The Commons to be used and enjoyed by the public? A new pool? Blasphemous... a blank green lawn would be better... :rolleyes:

This is just getting silly.

someone123
Apr 15, 2021, 6:43 PM
Nobody has consulted the sheep and cows. Originally they had the run of this whole area but they have been sidelined in the discussions.

The pool is not even a new thing being added, it's an update.

mleblanc
Apr 15, 2021, 7:57 PM
Nobody has consulted the sheep and cows. Originally they had the run of this whole area but they have been sidelined in the discussions.

The pool is not even a new thing being added, it's an update.

I don't think ol' Pegs will be happy until the whole peninsula is returned to farmland.

I'm surprised they aren't advocating on behalf of "Friends of the Run Down Sprinkler Pad on the Commons". Modernizing existing facilities? How could this be considered a bad thing? Why does CBC give these people the time of day?

Saul Goode
Apr 15, 2021, 8:10 PM

Consulting sheep and cows would be a ba-aa-aa-ad idea. I mean, it's a moooooo-t point, really.

Okay, somebody had to start with the lame jokes. Consider it a pre-emptive strike.

mleblanc
Apr 15, 2021, 9:01 PM
For anyone not familar, this is what they are planning for the new pool:
https://i.imgur.com/T2eZnkW.png
https://i.imgur.com/1eh4hMR.png

worldlyhaligonian
Apr 16, 2021, 1:19 PM
The "friends of" people are keeping active...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/new-pool-proposal-for-halifax-common-faces-resistance-from-group-1.5988717

Yes, because, like, why would we want The Commons to be used and enjoyed by the public? A new pool? Blasphemous... a blank green lawn would be better... :rolleyes:

This is just getting silly.

Completely silly. Why is CBC platforming these people... they can't use "think of the children" this time... because it is literally a pool and facilities for childern. :haha:

Drybrain
Apr 16, 2021, 6:41 PM
Completely silly. Why is CBC platforming these people... they can't use "think of the children" this time... because it is literally a pool and facilities for childern. :haha:

As a former reporter, I can definitely say it's nothing nefarious, nor does it reflect any kind of agenda. It just makes for the quickest, easiest story: a thing is happening, some person or group opposes the thing, so there's some interesting conflict there. Easy to get quotes and put it all together, even if it doesn't reflect the complexity of the subject.

This problem has become a lot worse in recent years as newsrooms are starved of funds and forced to make do with skeleton crews of inexperienced reporters, with not a lot of senior talent on hand to guide stories. Unfortunately, in this case, I think it's just that Pam Berman isn't a very good reporter. She's been doing local development and infrastructure stories forever, so you'd think the pieces would have some greater degree of context or analysis, but each one almost seems to exist in a vacuum.

someone123
Apr 16, 2021, 6:45 PM
She's been doing local development and infrastructure stories forever, so you'd think the pieces would have some greater degree of context or analysis, but each one almost seems to exist in a vacuum.

Yeah, I find it's weak on analysis and a lot of the stories include quotes from people that are often pretty out there but there is no context. The same narrow viewpoints get published over and over. Who gets more quotes in the CBC or the Herald, the mayor or Peggy Cameron?

I doubt it is that harmful to the city since there are so many media outlets now and municipal planning forges ahead regardless of the FUD. But it is a lost opportunity for better public discourse and information. The local media are not great at even communicating the basics of what's going on in the city. For example there's the big Mills construction site and there are almost no details about that. I'd guess that is because it would take more investigative work, not mere regurgitation of HRM website material or quotes from activists who want attention.

SouthPawLaw
Apr 16, 2021, 7:13 PM
Brilliant, though I lament the loss of the Pavilion I can't remember the last time it held a show though so the wheel turns on.

This is a great modernization of crucial people infrastructure on the commons. Next I hope they can do something about that eye sore of a Canada games Feild. I'd be more inclined for it to be moved to the Robie street corner and build up a bit along Robie and Cogswell with a permanent backstop and bleachers and concourse or arcade. It would strengthen the willow tree if tasteful enough, and the now vacated field could be more active living amenities like an outdoor body weight gym. It being so close to the school and the hill, more basketball courts wouldn't be a miss either.

Saul Goode
Apr 16, 2021, 9:01 PM
Unfortunately, in this case, I think it's just that Pam Berman isn't a very good reporter. She's been doing local development and infrastructure stories forever, so you'd think the pieces would have some greater degree of context or analysis, but each one almost seems to exist in a vacuum.

Ms. Berman has been at this for 35+ years now. She was never particularly insightful and, sadly, only seems to get worse, not better, with age. She's been phoning it in for a very long time. Typically, she only delivers the barest of bones of the what but very, very rarely the why, leaving only more questions. Lazy reporting.

I've always been a CBC Radio disciple but lately I'm finding less and less reason to listen - and that goes for both local and national programming. It's very sad; all the more so because there's virtually no local radio alternative.

Dartguard
Apr 17, 2021, 3:07 AM
Ms. Berman has been at this for 35+ years now. She was never particularly insightful and, sadly, only seems to get worse, not better, with age. She's been phoning it in for a very long time. Typically, she only delivers the barest of bones of the what but very, very rarely the why, leaving only more questions. Lazy reporting.

I've always been a CBC Radio disciple but lately I'm finding less and less reason to listen - and that goes for both local and national programming. It's very sad; all the more so because there's virtually no local radio alternative.

I agree Saul, sadly the CBC lost its way in the summer of 2015 when the winds were blowing Mr Trudeau's way. The National Broadcaster has become a bullhorn for Immigrant, Indigenous, feminist and victim stories and was very pronounced when Wendy Mesley took over the National anchor chair from Mansbridge.

I have heard that their market share has dropped 25% from 2015.The Corp still vastly overpays the staff for the product delivered. Its a shame since the CBC should be the BBC of the Western hemisphere.

Keith P.
Apr 17, 2021, 12:04 PM

I remember when Berman first appeared on our TV screens maybe 10-12 years ago. I believe I even commented on it here at the time. I wondered how the heck she ever got a job as a reporter back then - she had no ability to speak on-camera and came across as someone way out of their depths. her story writing was amateurish at best. I assumed she had been parachuted into a reporting position as part of a unionized employee bumping scheme or something. The sad thing is she hasn't gotten much better in the years since. I get the sense she is just putting in time building up her pension until she can retire comfortably and nobody in management has the desire to deal with the issue.

CBC Radio is an odd duck for me. It has no real competition given the state of commercial radio here, yet it seems again and again to pander to a very narrow segment of the public, with the same old voices appearing time and time again, many of which are very fringey.

Saul Goode
Apr 17, 2021, 2:28 PM
The National Broadcaster has become a bullhorn for Immigrant, Indigenous, feminist and victim stories...

CBC Radio is an odd duck for me. It has no real competition given the state of commercial radio here, yet it seems again and again to pander to a very narrow segment of the public, with the same old voices appearing time and time again, many of which are very fringey.

Couldn't agree more with both of you. The relentless, breathless, cloying, oh-so-earnest pursuit of "victims'" and their tortured journeys to vindication and (*barf*) self-actualization are both nauseating and, worst of all, boring as hell!

Its a shame since the CBC should be the BBC of the Western hemisphere.

Yes, and it could be. If it were up to me, I'd drop CBC TV entirely. With very exceptions, it cannot compete in that medium and it's sickening to watch it try. Nor should it, as a public enterprise, be competing with private broadcasters for ad revenue. And it pains me to watch my taxes going down the toilet on such vapid dreck as Family Feud Canada (I defy anyone with even a room-temperature IQ to endure an entire episode).

We could cut TV and immediately save most of the billion-plus budget, some of which could then be re-applied to radio, where CBC absolutely could and should excel.

I remember when Berman first appeared on our TV screens maybe 10-12 years ago. I believe I even commented on it here at the time. I wondered how the heck she ever got a job as a reporter back then - she had no ability to speak on-camera and came across as someone way out of their depths. her story writing was amateurish at best. I assumed she had been parachuted into a reporting position as part of a unionized employee bumping scheme or something.

To be fair, I don't think she ever intended to be a TV reporter but, like all of her colleagues, got dragged into it by CBC's move to economize by standardizing content across all three media (radio, TV, internet). Unfortunately, she was never great on radio in the first place.

Keith P.
Apr 17, 2021, 6:23 PM
Couldn't agree more with both of you. The relentless, breathless, cloying, oh-so-earnest pursuit of "victims'" and their tortured journeys to vindication and (*barf*) self-actualization are both nauseating and, worst of all, boring as hell!

Yes, and it could be. If it were up to me, I'd drop CBC TV entirely. With very exceptions, it cannot compete in that medium and it's sickening to watch it try. Nor should it, as a public enterprise, be competing with private broadcasters for ad revenue. And it pains me to watch my taxes going down the toilet on such vapid dreck as Family Feud Canada (I defy anyone with even a room-temperature IQ to endure an entire episode).

We could cut TV and immediately save most of the billion-plus budget, some of which could then be re-applied to radio, where CBC absolutely could and should excel.

To be fair, I don't think she ever intended to be a TV reporter but, like all of her colleagues, got dragged into it by CBC's move to economize by standardizing content across all three media (radio, TV, internet). Unfortunately, she was never great on radio in the first place.

It is now clear that CBC is marching to a particular agenda these days, either one they created for themselves or one imposed upon them by the Federal govt. Just look at CBC NS news page online on any given day and you see numerous news headlines that barely qualify as "news", such as today's:

N.S. Muslim community grateful to gather for 2nd Ramadan during pandemic

Inspiring stories celebrate Black achievement in Nova Scotia

Ready and Able series explores accessibility and inclusion

Head of Dal computer science says $13M in funding will help bolster diversity

I come from the land of North Preston, the birthplace of so many entrepreneurs

How a small Halifax church and an immigrant community lifted each other

This Nova Scotia writer gives voice to generations of Black trauma, truths in new book

One of Nova Scotia's first Black nurses remembered for groundbreaking career

Expert says race-based health data in Nova Scotia 'a great start' to addressing systemic racism

I don't know how many stories like this are too many for a mainstream news organization, but it sure is a lot.

As for your comment on their reliance on victim stories, it seems to me that Elizabeth Chiu is their Chief Victim Correspondent, as everything she does seems to be in that vein, complete with an overly emotive delivery. I now switch off CBC News whenever she appears.

I fully agree with your sentiment about CBC television. It's a shame, because there is no reason for it to be so unwatchable. I can watch PBS and enjoy it, but I cannot watch virtually anything produced by CBC. And it has been that way for a great many years. It's not like the rest of TV has surpassed them either. We live in an era where the staples of both OTA networks and streaming services are some mix of dark, dystopic dramas, comic-book CGI extravaganzas, heavily scripted "reality" shows, and a mix of sci-fi futurism and medieval violence. I dislike all of those genres and it would seem there is plenty of other fertile ground to be tilled. But when they try, you get unfunny comedies or dull-as-dishwater historical dramas. They just can't make anything that attracts my interest.

Drybrain
Apr 17, 2021, 6:50 PM
N.S. Muslim community grateful to gather for 2nd Ramadan during pandemic

Inspiring stories celebrate Black achievement in Nova Scotia

Ready and Able series explores accessibility and inclusion

Head of Dal computer science says $13M in funding will help bolster diversity

I come from the land of North Preston, the birthplace of so many entrepreneurs

How a small Halifax church and an immigrant community lifted each other

This Nova Scotia writer gives voice to generations of Black trauma, truths in new book

One of Nova Scotia's first Black nurses remembered for groundbreaking career

Expert says race-based health data in Nova Scotia 'a great start' to addressing systemic racism

I don't see what's wrong with any of these stories, and they're of interest to plenty of other readers besides yourself. Other stories on the homepage right now:

How Nova Scotia plans to commemorate the 1st anniversary of April's mass killing

N.S. man builds boat as COVID-19 project

Season set to to end this weekend for Mooseheads, Eagles

Family seeks answers in Sydney woman's 2017 disappearance

More help in the works for long-term care, says premier

Sister of N.S. shooting victim wants answers

Rita MacNeil, Cape Breton's 'first lady of song,' to join Songwriters Hall of Fame

Saul Goode
Apr 17, 2021, 8:39 PM
I don't see what's wrong with any of these stories, and they're of interest to plenty of other readers besides yourself.
[/I]

There's absolutely nothing wrong with any of them per se.

But there there's no denying the preponderance of those sorts of touchy-feely, introspective "persecution and reconciliation" stories in all media these days, and particularly at the CBC. It couldn't possibly be any clearer to me as a (very) longtime CBC listener and viewer how pervasive they've become over the last decade or so; presumably as a former reporter you couldn't have failed to notice it yourself. I'm at the point of having to switch stations about every second time I turn on the radio just to escape it.

Again, there's nothing wrong with the individual stories, but at CBC they seem to have become the broadcaster's very raison d'être and, to my own taste at least, it's simply made the network stultifyingly boring. Any topic would be if repeated enough. We're practically marinating in guilt-soaked navel-gazing. Enough!

Apart from story selection, what's equally irritating to me at CBC is the woeful decline in quality of the on-air staff. There was a time when they were expected to be relatively well-informed and literate people who could at least enunciate clearly enough to be understood and string together a series of complete English sentences. The Ceeb was for the longest time the very exemplar of that. Now they're as hapless and helpless as the local CTV News Airhead Gigglefest crew of yahoos - who at least have the virtue of me not paying their salaries. Fer Chrissakes, there's even a CBC morning host on the weekends who grew up in Cape Breton but had to ask a caller from Boularderie Island "where's that?", and regularly drops gems like "me and him had a conversation about it". If I hadn't heard it myself I'd never believe it. I mean, I don't expect or want Shakespeare; simple competence would do just fine. (For that matter, I've never understood how people who are paid to speak and convey reliable information to other people, and who fancy themselves "professional communicators", don't have enough simple pride in their craft to even speak English competently or learn the pronunciation of peoples' or places' names before going on the air. CBC traffic reporters these days don't even bother to learn local geography or street names before advising people which routes to avoid, that damn Google being so damn hard to use...

As you can tell, I could (and gladly would) go on ad nauseum but we seem to have strayed very far from the topic of building in HRM so I'll just apologize and shut up now.

someone123
Apr 29, 2021, 4:15 PM
A few projects visible here. In particular I noticed East West Street (which I don't think has its own thread). 2440 Agricola site is barely visible in the lower right corner.

https://data.remaxnova.com/propimages/202109672-3.jpg
Source (https://www.remaxnova.com/residential/halifax-real-estate/2443-agricola-street-halifax-mls-202109672)

Dmajackson
May 2, 2021, 5:56 PM
I was in line the other day for a rapid test at Alderney Gate and noticed that even at only six floors the new rooftop restaurant being built at 2050 Gottingen will have some beautiful views across the harbour.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/2a3382722e1603acd86821f08ca0732c/58fd2f25a7e18b09-e2/s540x810/ecef8008b995bebdd5e3d664d97a42eb4f72c321.jpg
Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson) (https://urbanhalifax.tumblr.com/)

RoshanMcG
May 3, 2021, 9:24 PM
I guess we don't have a thread for 34Eleven (https://www.34eleven.ca/) (3411 Joseph Howe Drive)? The construction is now above grade.

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/7a1cbf_ff91850052524b4abad752182065dc4d~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_1259,h_571,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/7a1cbf_ff91850052524b4abad752182065dc4d~mv2.webp
See link above

http://i.imgur.com/zO5ouRXh.jpg (https://imgur.com/zO5ouRX)

RoshanMcG
May 3, 2021, 9:35 PM
Dalhousie Arts Centre

http://i.imgur.com/syUmp2xh.jpg (https://imgur.com/syUmp2x)

OldDartmouthMark
May 3, 2021, 11:45 PM
I must have missed the memo... what are they doing to the Dal Arts Ctr?

IanWatson
May 4, 2021, 11:30 AM
I must have missed the memo... what are they doing to the Dal Arts Ctr?

Big extension out the back. Designed by Lydon Lynch.

OldDartmouthMark
May 4, 2021, 2:13 PM
Big extension out the back. Designed by Lydon Lynch.

Cool! Thanks!

I'm interested because we tend to go there quite a bit (in non-covid times), so improvements are always good news. IMHO it's perhaps the best venue in Halifax for acoustics.

eastcoastal
May 4, 2021, 2:24 PM
Dalhousie Arts Centre

http://i.imgur.com/syUmp2xh.jpg (https://imgur.com/syUmp2x)

Hmmm... didn't realize it was going to change the front facade like this - removed some of the interesting Japanese Metabolist-leaning bits... hopefully, the building doesn't lose too much quirk.

someone123
May 4, 2021, 7:34 PM
I'm interested because we tend to go there quite a bit (in non-covid times), so improvements are always good news. IMHO it's perhaps the best venue in Halifax for acoustics.

Many years ago there was a push for a larger performing arts centre in Halifax (I think it might have been called Nova Centre). It's interesting in that, aside from covid, I am not sure the demand has dropped and the city has grown more but a project like that seems to have fallen off the radar. Roy Thompson Hall is an example of this type of venue.

There is the project in the old WTCC space but I believe it's in the same size, and presumably acoustic, ballpark as existing venues.