PDA

View Full Version : General Updates and News

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118

Empire
Jun 30, 2011, 1:40 AM
This is part of the problem with a zoning system. Where things are 'as of right' most of the time; you can't apply such a condition to approving the development. You might be able to get away with it through a development agreement (which waterside was given) - but then you risk that the developer might walk away or try to have someone on council strike that requirement.

The land use system in most of the western provinces would label this type of development discretionary, so it would be approved by a Development Officer, but you could apply a variety of conditions on the permit (such as public realm improvements, landscaping letters of credit). But the catch is that any condition can be appealed; so there is no guarentee the condition would stand on appeal. I did a project where the landscaping required a letter of credit of 2.2 million $ (it was a huge project). The guy appealed the condition of approval for the letter of credit. He ended up having to pay an extra $100,000 on top of the 2.2, because the neighbours also appealed and the appeal board added a whole bunch of trees for privacy lol.

I think if staff were to take a report forward investigating such a bond; if council decided to go with it - then you wouldn't really see any opposition from developers, since council would've made the decision.

If we are talking about Waterside specifically then we are specifically talking about a weak Development Agreement. This is no doubt the worst case in recent history. We have half a block of registered heritage buildings gutted and left for dead. This demonstrates the flaws in the DA system. IMO it isn't unreasonable to insist that a developer deliver on his commitment. If the fear is that a developer might walk unless he can have everything his own way then he can walk. Vacant lots are different in that you can take more of a risk in terms of giving the developer more latitude. Waterside is unique and it has been mishandled by HRM and the developer.

halifaxboyns
Jun 30, 2011, 2:28 AM
If we are talking about Waterside specifically then we are specifically talking about a weak Development Agreement. This is no doubt the worst case in recent history. We have half a block of registered heritage buildings gutted and left for dead. This demonstrates the flaws in the DA system. IMO it isn't unreasonable to insist that a developer deliver on his commitment. If the fear is that a developer might walk unless he can have everything his own way then he can walk. Vacant lots are different in that you can take more of a risk in terms of giving the developer more latitude. Waterside is unique and it has been mishandled by HRM and the developer.

I completely agree. I think a bond could work through a DA just not through a permit (for anything that is as of right). For me; I'd like to find a solution that works for both a DA and a permit. But in the mean time; if it can only apply to a da I won't be unhappy.

JET
Jun 30, 2011, 11:44 AM
Buildings that are being 'restored' should not be touched until the work to rebuild is ready to start. There was no need to proceed if there were still things up in the air. Doesn't look good for anyone.

JET
Jun 30, 2011, 11:46 AM
Mitchell's facade is down on Gottingen St. Nice view through the gap, of St. Patrick's church, while it lasts.

beyeas
Jun 30, 2011, 12:02 PM
Buildings that are being 'restored' should not be touched until the work to rebuild is ready to start. There was no need to proceed if there were still things up in the air. Doesn't look good for anyone.

in the case specifically he did it in large part because he was pissed off and wanted to spit in the eye of people who opposed his development. Revenge is never exactly a good motivation for deciding to bomb out buildings like that before you even have financing or tenants for your development.

fenwick16
Jun 30, 2011, 12:21 PM
Ben McCrea stated that he went ahead with the expectation that he would get the easement necessary to proceed. That easement still hasn't been granted, as far as is known. Ben McCrea even went to the media a couple times to plead his case.

It seems as if everyone is ganging up on the developer here. It is turning into a kangaroo court with lots of speculation and few established facts. I sure that none of us would want to be tried in such a manner.

If we look at the facts, Ben McCrea has done more for heritage restoration in Halifax than most of the heritage proponents such as Phil Pacey.

I am just as peeved as anyone that this Waterside project is not proceeding. However, I am completely peeved with the HRM and some Councillors who have taken a hardball approach instead of taking a realistic approach. It should be obvious that Ben McCrea doesn't have much money to be made here. Even under the best of circumstances making money on development in downtown Halifax is a risky proposition with low lease rates. So expecting to force him into proceeding with an even more costly restoration is unrealistic.

Ben McCrea doesn't have the option of simply demolishing the buildings as the HRM did when they demolished the heritage registered Wanderers Grounds clubhouse (many will say it wasn't really worth saving and are probably right, but the HRM registered the building as a heritage building and then simply deregistered it - no developer can do such a thing).

JET
Jun 30, 2011, 1:33 PM
Ben McCrea stated that he went ahead with the expectation that he would get the easement necessary to proceed. That easement still hasn't been granted, as far as is known. Ben McCrea even went to the media a couple times to plead his case.

It seems as if everyone is ganging up on the developer here. It is turning into a kangaroo court with lots of speculation and few established facts. I sure that none of us would want to be tried in such a manner.

If we look at the facts, Ben McCrea has done more for heritage restoration in Halifax than most of the heritage proponents such as Phil Pacey.

I am just as peeved as anyone that this Waterside project is not proceeding. However, I am completely peeved with the HRM and some Councillors who have taken a hardball approach instead of taking a realistic approach. It should be obvious that Ben McCrea doesn't have much money to be made here. Even under the best of circumstances making money on development in downtown Halifax is a risky proposition with low lease rates. So expecting to force him into proceeding with an even more costly restoration is unrealistic.

Ben McCrea doesn't have the option of simply demolishing the buildings as the HRM did when they demolished the heritage registered Wanderers Grounds clubhouse (many will say it wasn't really worth saving and are probably right, but the HRM registered the building as a heritage building and then simply deregistered it - no developer can do such a thing).

The wanderers clubhouse is still there, looks terrible but is still there. Odd that there was a fire in the Public Gardens, but the clubhouse is still there.

beyeas
Jun 30, 2011, 2:30 PM

Oh I think there is much blame to spread around in this situation.

No question that this is not completely McCrea's fault. The city, as shown by the Jazz debacle, is responsible for a serious number of beaurocratic delays in the development process. How some of these people at city hall have kept their jobs over the years is beyond me.

However, that is not to say that he is without blame. He did actually state in an article once that he regrets knocking the buildings down, and that he did so out of anger. It is also potentially disingenuous of him to now simply point his finger at the easement issue and say that that is why he hasn't built. There has never been a single indication that if it weren't for the easement issue that he would be under construction. Just a year ago he was blaming the Nova Centre for using public money to make it too difficult for him to attract tenants.

I don't think that McCrea should be the scapegoat here, and he has done excellent projects in the past. But much as he can take credit for good things, I just think that he does also need to share in the blame for a bad situation.

Empire
Jun 30, 2011, 4:31 PM
Ben McCrae has been around a long time and he knows exactly how the game is played. This site is an extremely controversial one and everyone knows it. The fact that he is holding the public hostage for his little spat with the city is no going over very well. If the entire project hinged on getting a seawater lateral then he should have made the DA and entire project subject to that condition. It would appear that there are many other issues and this angle of leaving the site as eyesore is the easy way out.

- financing
- market conditions
- pre-signed tenants
- approval of the trade centre
- Queen's landing financing
- proposal for Mary Ann lot

worldlyhaligonian
Jun 30, 2011, 4:37 PM
I'm not an ANS subscriber, so I have not read the info. When it was discussed awhile ago, there was mention of the dental offices on the corner, which would affect the streetscape. Can anyone copy the ANS info? thanks

Isn't that on the other side of the street? I thought we were talking about the south side of SGR before carleton? (I thought it was an investment firm or something on the south west corner at Carleton and SGR) Does this proposal even go completely to the corner?

JET
Jun 30, 2011, 5:08 PM
Isn't that on the other side of the street? I thought we were talking about the south side of SGR before carleton? (I thought it was an investment firm or something on the south west corner at Carleton and SGR) Does this proposal even go completely to the corner?

The brown buildings on the South-West corner used to be dental offices. When this was mentioned a number of months ago, it seemed like it was to go to the corner.

Dmajackson
Jun 30, 2011, 7:09 PM
5757 Inglis Street

This Heritage designated structure sits as one of Halifax’s oldest multi-unit houses. W. M. Fares Group has envisioned a plan to completely redevelop this beautiful site on one of the oldest streets in Halifax. The project encompasses a full renovation of the existing house, with the addition of six apartment units, and three townhouse units. Construction will begin May 2011, with the leasing commencing for May 2012.

The building will feature a mix of high-end rental units:

9 – Two bedroom apartment rental

1 – One bedroom apartment rental

3 – Two storey Townhouses comprised with three bedrooms

fenwick16
Jun 30, 2011, 9:16 PM
5757 Inglis Street

This Heritage designated structure sits as one of Halifax’s oldest multi-unit houses. W. M. Fares Group has envisioned a plan to completely redevelop this beautiful site on one of the oldest streets in Halifax. The project encompasses a full renovation of the existing house, with the addition of six apartment units, and three townhouse units. Construction will begin May 2011, with the leasing commencing for May 2012.

The building will feature a mix of high-end rental units:

9 – Two bedroom apartment rental

1 – One bedroom apartment rental

3 – Two storey Townhouses comprised with three bedrooms

This looks good to me. This pdf is from the halifax.ca website - http://www.halifax.ca/council/agendasc/documents/100928ca1042ppt.pdf . It seems to be a great way to densify and reuse a heritage property without outright demolition.

fenwick16
Jun 30, 2011, 9:20 PM
The wanderers clubhouse is still there, looks terrible but is still there. Odd that there was a fire in the Public Gardens, but the clubhouse is still there.

Correction: it is in the process of being demolished - http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/local/article/680870--council-votes-to-demolish-derelict-canteen . There was story in the allnovascotia.com about saving a few items and then it will come down within a month (source: Wanderers Field House Set to Tumble by Amy Pugsley Frazer, June 27, 2011)? I can't see this as being a great loss.

fenwick16
Jun 30, 2011, 10:33 PM
Oh I think there is much blame to spread around in this situation.

No question that this is not completely McCrea's fault. The city, as shown by the Jazz debacle, is responsible for a serious number of beaurocratic delays in the development process. How some of these people at city hall have kept their jobs over the years is beyond me.

However, that is not to say that he is without blame. He did actually state in an article once that he regrets knocking the buildings down, and that he did so out of anger. It is also potentially disingenuous of him to now simply point his finger at the easement issue and say that that is why he hasn't built. There has never been a single indication that if it weren't for the easement issue that he would be under construction. Just a year ago he was blaming the Nova Centre for using public money to make it too difficult for him to attract tenants.

I don't think that McCrea should be the scapegoat here, and he has done excellent projects in the past. But much as he can take credit for good things, I just think that he does also need to share in the blame for a bad situation.

Lets continue this discussion in the Waterside Centre thread - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=144928&page=52 . I would like to present a bit more evidence to illustrate my viewpoint (which is taken directly from the halifax.ca website).

someone123
Jul 3, 2011, 2:41 AM
Construction site for new four storey building at Gottingen and Cunard: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tvor/5894724415/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Hopefully we will soon see construction of Gottingen Terrace and the two apartment buildings on the former Enviro Depot and Diamonds sites.

Dmajackson
Jul 3, 2011, 3:02 AM
Construction site for new four storey building at Gottingen and Cunard: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tvor/5894724415/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Hopefully we will soon see construction of Gottingen Terrace and the two apartment buildings on the former Enviro Depot and Diamonds sites.

The Diamonds site has become something rarely found in Halifax ... a gravel-pay 'n-display parking lot. :P

I don't know the minimum amount of time these lots have to sign on for to become a parking lot but I imagine this puts the lot out of development possibility for this construction season. The other two could still go ahead though.

Dmajackson
Jul 3, 2011, 3:31 AM
A bit obstructed but 3150 Barrington does have an impact on the north-end skyline apparently (photo by me yesterday);

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6056/5895459735_3e458a4944_z.jpg

Empire
Jul 4, 2011, 2:01 AM
Bulldoze historic buildings yet again......
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Business/1251501.html

Dmajackson
Jul 5, 2011, 9:12 PM
Some Downtown Dartmouth updates;

78 Shore Road - Townhouses Proposal (http://www.halifax.ca/commcoun/hecc/documents/8.2.1VarianceAppeal78ShoreRoad.pdf)
Site Location on Bing's Bird Eye (http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=rf9zbz9q1gkc&lvl=19.28080641465972&dir=2.786794311128608&sty=b&form=LMLTCC)

Case 16687 - 224-228 Portland Street DA (http://www.halifax.ca/commcoun/hecc/documents/10.1.2Case16687MPSLUBAmendmentDAPortlandStreet.pdf)
Site Location on Bing's Bird Eye (note photo is from before fire) (http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=rfb5q19q2xsp&lvl=19.27632459710226&dir=176.15789103085876&sty=b&where1=224%20Portland%20St%2C%20Dartmouth%2C%20NS%2C%20B2Y&q=224%20Portland%20Street&form=LMLTCC)

Dmajackson
Jul 5, 2011, 9:35 PM
On the Peninsula there is only one new thing to note;

Case 16376 - Ammendments to the Beaufort-Oakland-Bellevue-Inglis Neighoburhood (http://www.halifax.ca/commcoun/pcc/documents/pccoakland.pdf)

Keith P.
Jul 5, 2011, 11:24 PM
I notice that Colliers Intl has listed for sale the property on Agricola St that currently houses the NSLC. I would take from that news that the proposed development for that site (which I cannot find a thread for but which I recall being discussed here) is now dead. Too bad. Hopefully someone will buy it and do something good with it. Wonder if that means NSLC is leaving.

someone123
Jul 6, 2011, 5:43 AM
What will the city do now that one of its great heritage gems has been destroyed?

I guess we have other historic attractions like the Dingle and Gloria McCluskey.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5156/5906953899_783bf384cf_z.jpg
Source (http://www.flickr.com/photos/avardwoolaver/5906953899/sizes/z/in/photostream/)

JET
Jul 6, 2011, 11:55 AM
What will the city do now that one of its great heritage gems has been destroyed?

I guess we have other historic attractions like the Dingle and Gloria McCluskey.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5156/5906953899_783bf384cf_z.jpg
Source (http://www.flickr.com/photos/avardwoolaver/5906953899/sizes/z/in/photostream/)

What/where, is this? Wanderers grounds?

someone123
Jul 6, 2011, 6:11 PM
Yep. The whole story is classic HRM. Debate shack ad nauseam, register as heritage for some reason, make half-assed attempt to restore the building. Oops, looks like it will actually cost money, so let's break out own rules now and tear it down.

haligonia
Jul 6, 2011, 10:04 PM
Is is just the shed or is the house coming down too?

Keith P.
Jul 6, 2011, 10:14 PM
This is the fabled Wanderers Grounds "dry canteen" which was thrown up during WWII to give the troops a place to dance. It was totally unremarkable in both design and construction. Yet HRM gerrymandered the heritage registration process a few years ago and somehow awarded this thing a designation as a heritage structure and even allocated some tax money to help the rugby team that wanted it fixed up. It was a total boondoggle.

Of course once a competent contractor took a look at it they deemed it a disaster, full of mold and rot, and totally unsalvageable. Thank god. Otherwise we would have sunk millions into restoring a completely ordinary WWII wood-frame military building.

beyeas
Jul 7, 2011, 1:06 PM
But how can they put a modern tower like that next to an historic building?!?!
Where is the Vancouver Heritage Trust when you need them?!?!

/http://www.ecofriend.com/entry/oxford-properties-reveals-west-hastings-tower-design-in-vancouver/

This will clearly be the end of civilization in Vancouver. Likely the mere mention of such plans led to mass riots. Oh the humanity.

resetcbu1
Jul 8, 2011, 1:22 AM
Stoffer smells shipyard politics
MP slams extension given to bidders
By BILL POWER Business Reporter

An unexpected two-week extension to the $35-billion shipbuilding procurement competition sounds like political interference, NDP shipbuilding critic Peter Stoffer charged Wednesday.

"Certainly, we are all now watching anxiously what will happen on July 21," said Stoffer, the MP for Sackville-Eastern Shore.

"This is the new deadline and certainly any additional delays will indicate the process is not free of political interference and is not as transparent as Canadians were led to believe. There is very good reason to be concerned about what is happening behind the scenes when only two of the competing shipyards request extra time."

Stoffer said he is troubled by the way the two-week extension was announced in a news release that was issued by Public Works Department officials at 5:30 p.m. on June 30, after most media outlets were turning their attention to preparations for Canada Day and the pending arrival of the royal couple at the nation’s capital.

"Whenever the government makes an announcement . . . at the beginning of a long weekend, it indicates they are trying to get something out under the radar," said Stoffer.

Word of the extension was greeted with suspicion by the apparent front-runners in the national competition to become Canada’s new centre of excellence for warship construction for about three decades.

There were immediate cries of foul from officials with Irving Shipbuilding Inc. of Halifax and Seaspan of Vancouver.

It was obvious the request for an extension came from the financially insolvent Davie Yards, in Levis, Que., and Upper Lakes of St. Catharines, Ont.

"July 7 was to be the drop-dead date for bids and that was that. The competing shipyards have had over a year to work on this," said Stoffer.

He said it was also troubling that the original request was for an extension of two months.

"A two-month extension is certainly out of line and you have to wonder about the merits of allowing even two weeks," he said.

The decision by the National Shipbuilding Procurement Strategy Secretariat to grant the extension is "disappointing and raises concerns whether the process is free of political interference," said Stoffer.

"I am concerned that there are players and lobbyists behind the scene who pushed for that extension and the secretariat may have been swayed in granting this request."

He said Rona Ambrose, the minister of public works and government services, has said that lobbyists would not be involved with the process.

Stoffer said the two-week bid extension will unnecessarily push back the bid evaluations and the project schedule.

In Quebec City, where voters are used to having the Bloc Quebecois support local causes regardless of the problems it might cause elsewhere in the country, the NDP’s untried new MPs were coming under pressure to stand up for local shipyard workers.

The Bloc Quebecois attacked NDP MPs for their silence in a news release Wednesday.

"Do they say no to the possibility of creating 1,500 jobs at Levis," said MP Andre Bellavance. "Or do they dare to stand up for the workers of the Davie Shipyard?"

With Stephen Maher, staff reporter

haligonia
Jul 9, 2011, 3:08 PM
From today's Herald:
Barrington looks good to communications firm

By BILL POWER Business Reporter
Sat, Jul 9 - 4:54 AM

A MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS firm is moving into the former Carsand-Mosher building in downtown Halifax with a lot of enthusiasm about the future of Barrington Street.

"Perhaps 10 years ago it wouldn’t be the best move, but today I couldn’t think up a better place than Barrington Street," Mark Gascoigne, president of Trampoline Branding, said in an interview Friday.

"We want to be part of the energy that is building in the area."

Gascoigne said the exterior of the building at the corner of Barrington and Blowers streets is undergoing a major renovation that will contribute to a renewal of the area.

The company moved into the upper level of the building on June 1, above three street-level retail spaces.

Trampoline, which employs about 15 people, is a full-service strategic communications agency that has worked for clients such as Saint Mary’s University, Halifax Shopping Centre and Nova Scotia Department of Health and Wellness. Last week the company was named the successful bidder to do work for the Waterfront Development Corp. 2012 Tall Ships event.

Gascoigne said Trampoline will offer its communications services "from a space that used to house some of the most impactful visual imagery of the region."

"We want to play a vital role in the revitalization of the downtown core," he said.

The Middle Spoon Desserterie and Bar is about to open at the street level of the same location. Argyle Fine Art is another ground-level neighbour, and a North Face outdoor equipment shop is the third.

The North Face shop is a new undertaking for Joachim Stroink, owner of the Trail Shop on Quinpool Road.

Development of the new eSpace retail and office complex in the former Sam the Record Man property is also underway across the street on Barrington.

someone123
Jul 9, 2011, 6:26 PM
Barrington does seem to be doing pretty well, despite the occasional doom and gloom type articles, which I'm sure will continue even if the street is re-paved in gold.

The "optics" of the street will be pretty good if the Espace development fills up and the Roy Building is under construction.

Not sure what's going on the the NFB redevelopment or Green Lantern Building.

haligonia
Jul 9, 2011, 6:29 PM
Apparently the Carsand Mosher Building will be getting re-clad, which should help a bit as well.

fenwick16
Jul 10, 2011, 2:28 PM
Here is a Street View image of the Green Lantern Building (http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=1585+barrington+street,+halifax.ca&ll=44.645819,-63.573364&spn=0.006007,0.016512&sll=44.645886,-63.573364&sspn=0.006295,0.006295&layer=c&cbp=13,56.97,,0,-21.44&cbll=44.645838,-63.573365&gl=ca&z=17&panoid=dAUAqHaK7zIkI67z0OFNgA).

I found this halifax.ca document regarding tax incentives and grants - http://www.halifax.ca/council/agendasc/documents/110607ca1032.pdf dated June 7, 2011. The following quote is taken from that document.
1585 Barrington Street - Green Lantern Building: The Green Lantern building was extensively damaged by Hurricane Juan in 2003 and its upper floors have been vacant since that time pending resolution of an insurance settlement and development of plans for exterior restoration/renovation and interior conversion to mixed commercial and residential use. Site plan approval and construction permits were granted in July 2010 and the owner has indicated that, with these permits in hand, he is hopeful for final settlement of the insurance claim in the near future. While he is unable to provide a definitive date for commencing construction he indicates that it is close, with contractors hired, and the project is expected to begin in 2011.

Jonovision
Jul 10, 2011, 7:08 PM
Great news Fenwick.

And here are some pics of the Barrington facade I just happened to take this afternoon.

http://inlinethumb29.webshots.com/48540/2155975570096709958S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2155975570096709958zMOLQn)

http://inlinethumb12.webshots.com/47819/2485032040096709958S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2485032040096709958PzxaKk)

http://inlinethumb29.webshots.com/48540/2155975570096709958S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2155975570096709958zMOLQn)

fenwick16
Jul 10, 2011, 8:06 PM
I just checked this document again - http://www.halifax.ca/council/agendasc/documents/110607ca1032.pdf . Although the report is from June 7, 2011 the appendix A may be from either March 2010 or March 2011 - I am no longer sure if the quote that I posted is from 2011 (both dates are given in the report).

I would certainly like to see a start on the Green Lantern Building this year. It is an interesting looking building, so fixing the facade will have a positive effect on Barrington Street.

haligonia
Jul 10, 2011, 8:30 PM
With a little TLC, Green Lantern could look incredible.

wackypacky
Jul 11, 2011, 7:28 AM
A friend of mine and the owner of a large construction company is in negotiations to purchase ocean towers and renovate them into condos. Its very early atm though and nothing is set in stone by any means. Cant say I have a good enough imagination to see a big appearance improvement without a ton of money though:)

haligonia
Jul 13, 2011, 12:16 AM
Apparently Argyle Street is now an official entertainment district. I'm doubtful how a few blocks can be considered a district, and I'm not exactly sure what this accomplishes. It sounds impressive, though.

resetcbu1
Jul 13, 2011, 12:30 AM
From todays CH...

Demand up for apartment construction
Slow growth, flat wages blamed for trend
By BRUCE ERSKINE Business Reporter
Tue, Jul 12 - 4:54 AM

This complex under construction at the corner of Almon and Gladstone streets will have 93 apartments and 20,000 square feet of ground-floor commercial space.(Christian Laforce / Staff)

SLOW ECONOMIC growth and flat wages are driving multiple housing starts in Halifax, says Matthew Gilmore, senior regional market analyst with Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp.

"Wages aren’t keeping up with inflation," he said in an interview Monday. "It doesn’t lend itself to home ownership."

According to preliminary data released Monday by CMHC, multiple housing starts in Halifax last month were more than double what they were in June 2010.

"It’s almost exclusively in rental apartments," said Gilmore. "We’re seeing well above average apartment construction."

There were 202 housing starts in Halifax in June, including 110 multiple starts and 92 single starts, CMHC said.

That compared to 125 housing starts in June 2010, which included 34 multiple starts and 91 single starts.

Gilmore said the trend to apartments has been evident for the past three years and is a reflection of economic conditions.

"The new trend is reduced demand for single, detached construction."

Gilmore said the trend to rentals began with the global economic downturn and has persisted with the low rate of full-time employment growth in Halifax, which he pegged at one per cent, compared to six per cent part-time job growth.

"There is a high demand for lower priced units," he said, including semi-detached and row housing.

Gilmore said Halifax’s relatively transient population, with an annual 20 per cent turnover, is also driving demand for rental housing.

"People are moving around," he said. "That lends itself to rental demand."

Gilmore said existing home prices in Halifax, which average $260,000 and are up three per cent from last year, aren’t a bubble waiting to burst as in other, more volatile Canadian markets.

"We wouldn’t characterize it as such," he said. "They’re in line with (market) fundamentals of supply and demand."

CMHC said there were 313 housing starts in Nova Scotia communities with populations of 10,000 or more, including Halifax, in June 2011, up from 258 in June 2010.

In the Atlantic region, there were 1,051 new starts in June 2011, compared to 1,012 units during the same period in 2010.

In urban centres across Canada, total housing starts in June increased to 15,982 from 15,346 in June 2010.

someone123
Jul 13, 2011, 1:19 AM
Housing starts up due to FAILING ECONOMY.

fenwick16
Jul 13, 2011, 2:01 AM
Housing starts up due to FAILING ECONOMY.

Another example - More Jobs, But ... from the allnovascotia.com on July 11, 2011 . The story was that Nova Scotia added 9,800 full time jobs in June 2011. It is tough to turn that into a negative story but .... they did it.

Dmajackson
Jul 13, 2011, 3:15 AM
ANS is reporting tonight that tenders have been released by CBC Broadcasting Ltd for the expansion of its Bell Road location in Halifax. WHW Architects has been selected as the designer of the new three-storey building that will connect to its existing TV building. Construction is set for next year (2012) with a completion date of 2014.

Also in ANS tonight I was confused by another article, "Wellington Appeal Delay" (All Nova Scotia; 2011.07.13). This article discusses how a rejection for a variance from an HRM development officer was appealled by the developer. The variance was for a 55-foot residential building at 1042 Wellington Street which currently falls under a 35-foot heght restriction. What confused me is the proposed building which would be 5-6 stories tall (based on given height) would only have 4 units in it.

JET
Jul 13, 2011, 12:11 PM
ANS is reporting tonight that tenders have been released by CBC Broadcasting Ltd for the expansion of its Bell Road location in Halifax. WHW Architects has been selected as the designer of the new three-storey building that will connect to its existing TV building. Construction is set for next year (2012) with a completion date of 2014.

Also in ANS tonight I was confused by another article, "Wellington Appeal Delay" (All Nova Scotia; 2011.07.13). This article discusses how a rejection for a variance from an HRM development officer was appealled by the developer. The variance was for a 55-foot residential building at 1042 Wellington Street which currently falls under a 35-foot heght restriction. What confused me is the proposed building which would be 5-6 stories tall (based on given height) would only have 4 units in it.

there are some narrow three-story condos; maybe

halifaxboyns
Jul 13, 2011, 10:25 PM
Finding new uses for old houses

By JOANN ALBERSTAT Business Reporter
Wed, Jul 13 - 4:53 AM

MORE OWNERS OF older homes in downtown Halifax are interested in turning their properties into mixed-use developments, despite the amount of time and money involved in getting planning approval, says a Halifax architect.

Nicholas Fudge of Geoff Keddy and Associates is working on a project at 1580 Queen St. that has been in the works since last September. The municipality’s design review committee is expected to approve the proposal Thursday.

The three-storey building now houses a two-level apartment, with an artist’s studio on the top floor. The renovation includes an addition to the front of the building to add commercial space.

"I think you’ll see more of this type of work being done on the old stock of housing that’s close to commercial zones," Fudge said in an interview.

The Queen Street building, located across from Royal Artillery Park, is owned by artist Marilyn McAvoy and her husband, musician Dave Marsh. The property is assessed at $398,700, according to provincial property records.

McAvoy said Tuesday she is looking for a place to move her studio, although she hopes to return to Queen Street one day.

"I really love the area. I love what’s going on in this area," said the painter, who lives nearby.

McAvoy, who has owned the building for about eight years, said the new commercial space could house a wine bar or restaurant. The cost of the project wasn’t disclosed.

Fudge said he is hoping small downtown developments like McAvoy’s will be approved faster once the municipality makes planned changes to HRM by Design rules, approved in June 2009.

"They’re actually making amendments to the site plan approval process. Right now, they don’t differentiate between a 20-storey building and a woman who’s doing a small addition to house."

A public consultation held in April attracted one person and wasn’t needed for such a small project, the architect said.

The proposed project would include 1,300 square feet of commercial space on the first two floors, with a 750-square-foot apartment on the third storey.

The vinyl siding will be replaced with red cedar, perforated metal and fibre concrete panels. An outside staircase that will serve as the apartment entrance and fire exit will be metal and wrapped in a wooden screen.

"It’s going to be like an indoor-outdoor staircase. So it has a screen that you can actually see through so it’s lit up at night," Fudge said.

Geoff Keddy and Associates is also designing the third residential tower in Dartmouth near Mic Mac Mall.

Keddy said Tuesday the Can-Euro Investments Ltd. development will be coming to community council in a couple of weeks.

The firm is also working on the 30-hectare Skipper Hill Estates & Marina development in the Chester area.

Article link is here (http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Business/1253097.html).

Dmajackson
Jul 14, 2011, 3:38 AM
There was another article on the Barrington Street parcel up for sale between Kent and Green Streets in ANS tonight. According to this article two local firms and a foreign developer from Dubai (now living in HRM) have expressed interest in purchasing the site. The developers have stated interest in building a 8-storey, 160 unit building.

Information Source: www.allnovascotia.com, 2011-07-14, "Dubai Bid Coming"

-Harlington-
Jul 14, 2011, 4:41 AM
Contractors tour Halifax oval site

CBC News Posted: Jul 13, 2011 3:09 PM AT Last Updated: Jul 13, 2011 3:09 (CBC)Municipal officials say the plan to build a permanent skating oval on the Halifax Common is moving along.

Officials hosted a tour for contractors at the site on Wednesday — a week before the tender closes for construction bids.

Project manager Terry Gallagher said excavators could be moving dirt around by mid-August.

"Everyone sees this as a fantastic project. Last year we only had one bidder. This year I think we had five bidders show up. So it's attracting a lot of attention," he told CBC News.

An oval was built for the Canada Winter Games in February. It was used for speed-skating competitions but was open to the public before and after the events.

It was so popular with local skaters that regional council decided to make it a permanent attraction.

Gallagher said the new 400-metre oval should be ready before Christmas, though skaters will have to use temporary trailers.

Municipal officials want to consult with the public first before deciding whether a permanent structure for skaters is needed at the site.

In a deal with the Games host society, the municipality is getting three refrigeration units as long as it ensures training time for high-performance athletes

someone123
Jul 14, 2011, 4:59 AM
If they do put a new building on the Common I hope it's something well thought out and attractive.

The last "contribution" was a cinder block hut with public washrooms on the far side.

Empire
Jul 15, 2011, 1:58 PM
If they do put a new building on the Common I hope it's something well thought out and attractive.

The last "contribution" was a cinder block hut with public washrooms on the far side.

Those washroom huts are a huge eyesore. If you look at them closely you can easily see the lack of thought and quality. Sadly very typical HRM.

eastcoastal
Jul 16, 2011, 12:07 PM
Those washroom huts are a huge eyesore. If you look at them closely you can easily see the lack of thought and quality. Sadly very typical HRM.

Hideous. They state that we (the City, as represented by Council) don't care about this potentially fantastic piece of civic infrastructure.

Keith P.
Jul 16, 2011, 12:32 PM
Hideous. They state that we (the City, as represented by Council) don't care about this potentially fantastic piece of civic infrastructure.

The really sad thing is that the councillor for the area fought for that, claims credit for it, and thinks it is good.

fenwick16
Jul 16, 2011, 1:01 PM
I have never seen these washroom huts in person but I found this Street View image on the internet - Commons Washroom Hut (http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=halifax,+ns&hl=en&ll=44.651124,-63.58987&spn=0.001351,0.008256&gl=ca&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=44.651123,-63.589873&panoid=X0I_AJKjGqzxJYyLVY7kAA&cbp=11,146.75,,0,4.74).

I don't think that the problem is the design but is the graffiti artists that keep defacing public property. It is time for the HRM to install cameras at susceptible locations and start criminally charging the perpetrators of graffiti.

musicman
Jul 16, 2011, 8:18 PM
Construction fencing is up around the parkade at the west end mall. Anybody know what is going on there?

Phalanx
Jul 16, 2011, 9:33 PM
Is the Eastlink Store still moving into the old Spring Garden DQ location? All the signage is down, and nothing seems to be going on inside.

haligonia
Jul 17, 2011, 2:01 AM
Is the Eastlink Store still moving into the old Spring Garden DQ location? All the signage is down, and nothing seems to be going on inside.

I've heard that it is still going ahead. I'm not positive though.

someone123
Jul 17, 2011, 4:22 AM
This monument on the Grand Parade is also very ugly: http://www.flickr.com/photos/robbins_d/5944315390/

Compare it to a similar monument from the 1850s:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_navza3ooKDw/TMH-i3RrHZI/AAAAAAAACnc/ZKYUti0n4GU/s1600/Image00001.jpg
Source (http://epterranova.blogspot.com/2010/10/hrm-monument-28-welsford-parker.html)

It is sad that we have trouble building public monuments and spaces to the standards of 150 years ago.

There was a seemingly very nice proposal to make a granite staircase up to City Hall from Barrington north of George Street -- it would have made the square more accessible to pedestrians, more open and more attractive. Not sure if it is still in the cards.

fenwick16
Jul 17, 2011, 1:38 PM
Here is a close-up view of the Grande Parade monument - http://www.flickr.com/photos/robbins_d/5943742721/in/photostream/. There are more impressive monuments in the city. However, I cannot see anything unattractive about this monument. I found information stating that this monument is dedicated to fallen peace officers (reference: http://www.thecoast.ca/halifax/grand-parade-ready-to-remember/Content?oid=1378751). Maybe the monument would look better with a large statue on top - maybe a statue of a peace officer would be fitting; but I think it looks good without.

In addition to the impressive stone work of the new monument, it has some other modern features -It will be in the form of a 14-foot high arch constructed with Litracon, a translucent concrete with fiber optic cables running through it, such that different intensity lighting can be applied through it. - from the Coast article.

musicman
Jul 17, 2011, 5:27 PM
If you hold up certain wavelenghts of light to it you can see all kinds of paterns in it. We noticed it during the new years party last year. It's very interesting.

FuzzyWuz
Jul 17, 2011, 9:44 PM
This monument on the Grand Parade is also very ugly: http://www.flickr.com/photos/robbins_d/5944315390/

It reminds me of a scene in 'Spinal Tap' where the stonehenge structure is lowered onto the stage and they see that it's 18 inches tall instead of 18 feet.

pblaauw
Jul 18, 2011, 3:37 AM
I was looking for maps of Nova Scotia when I stumbled across this little piece of nostalgia, courtesy of WordAtlas.com's Nova Scotia page (http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/namerica/province/nsz.htm).

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/namerica/province/nszpics/descriptionpics/halifaxthree.jpg

(If this would be better off in "Found Photos", feel free to move it there. :))

haligonia
Jul 18, 2011, 12:12 PM
Awesome! I've always wanted to see a picture of Purdy's under construction.

beyeas
Jul 18, 2011, 12:15 PM
Here is a close-up view of the Grande Parade monument - http://www.flickr.com/photos/robbins_d/5943742721/in/photostream/. There are more impressive monuments in the city. However, I cannot see anything unattractive about this monument. I found information stating that this monument is dedicated to fallen peace officers (reference: http://www.thecoast.ca/halifax/grand-parade-ready-to-remember/Content?oid=1378751). Maybe the monument would look better with a large statue on top - maybe a statue of a peace officer would be fitting; but I think it looks good without.

In addition to the impressive stone work of the new monument, it has some other modern features -It will be in the form of a 14-foot high arch constructed with Litracon, a translucent concrete with fiber optic cables running through it, such that different intensity lighting can be applied through it. - from the Coast article.

The thing that I didn't like about it when I saw it was the base... the arch itself was "alright", but the base just looks cheap.

pblaauw
Jul 18, 2011, 6:40 PM
Awesome! I've always wanted to see a picture of Purdy's under construction.

Yeah. but if you're trying to advertise NS as a destination (even as a 3rd party), it's best not to use a photo that's 20-25 years old. ;)

haligonia
Jul 18, 2011, 7:57 PM
I forgot to read the entire sentence. I got to "this little piece of nostalgia" and then my brain immediatley jumped to the photo. ;)

kph06
Jul 19, 2011, 12:42 AM
Demolition of building of Hollis and South has begun on the inside (photo by me):

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6021/5952155371_2da3920e31_b.jpg

someone123
Jul 19, 2011, 1:00 AM
Big loss for the city.

fenwick16
Jul 19, 2011, 1:16 AM
Yes, that does seem to be a loss. I think that Halifax has been lucky not to have lost more heritage buildings to fire. Buildings just weren't built as well back 100 - 200 years ago as they are now (in terms of fire safety, that is).

JET
Jul 19, 2011, 12:05 PM
Big loss for the city.

is that the whole block between barrington and Hollis that is coming down?

someone123
Jul 19, 2011, 7:55 PM
My understanding is that the brick row with Taj Mahal, Cafe Chianti (I think they moved?), etc. is all coming down, but that the yellow wooden apartments at the corner of Barrington are unrelated and will remain untouched.

I have not heard of plans to save the facade or building materials. I assume no news is bad news -- another missed opportunity!

fenwick16
Jul 19, 2011, 9:52 PM
Demolition of building of Hollis and South has begun on the inside (photo by me):

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6021/5952155371_2da3920e31_b.jpg

:previous: Regarding the picture by kph06 - Here is the front view of that apartment building in Bing Maps Bird's Eye View (http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=rf616y9q282g&lvl=19.295047835761302&dir=359.66638897861634&sty=b&where1=Halifax%2C%20NS&form=LMLTCC).

sdm
Jul 19, 2011, 11:35 PM
My understanding is that the brick row with Taj Mahal, Cafe Chianti (I think they moved?), etc. is all coming down, but that the yellow wooden apartments at the corner of Barrington are unrelated and will remain untouched.

I have not heard of plans to save the facade or building materials. I assume no news is bad news -- another missed opportunity!

Taj Mahal is under seperate ownership, or at least it was a few months ago.

Nonetheless, i think keeping the street facades in place with an addition to the back with some stepped up height would be ideal.

JET
Jul 20, 2011, 12:49 PM
Taj Mahal is under seperate ownership, or at least it was a few months ago.

Nonetheless, i think keeping the street facades in place with an addition to the back with some stepped up height would be ideal.

losing anything on that block is a shame, it has such a nice European feel to it, which is unique in Halifax. :(

Empire
Jul 20, 2011, 1:43 PM
losing anything on that block is a shame, it has such a nice European feel to it, which is unique in Halifax. :(

Agreed, slowly but surely the uniqueness of Halifax is disappearing. HRM should offer a massive tax incentive to save the facades of these buildings.

worldlyhaligonian
Jul 20, 2011, 4:55 PM
Somebody should write the Heritage Trust... this really should be their role... saving heritage, not thwarting development.

I wouldn't say its a "european" flair... these facades are more representative of north american brickwork like in Boston, etc.

Regardless, if these buildings are completely torn down the one positive might be that a new development will help address the block better... the north and east sides of the current building are pretty awkward in terms of their relation to Hollis.

Empire
Jul 20, 2011, 5:34 PM
Somebody should write the Heritage Trust... this really should be their role... saving heritage, not thwarting development.

I wouldn't say its a "european" flair... these facades are more representative of north american brickwork like in Boston, etc.

Regardless, if these buildings are completely torn down the one positive might be that a new development will help address the block better... the north and east sides of the current building are pretty awkward in terms of their relation to Hollis.

This is a very serious matter. These buildings should be saved. I wouldn't put any faith in developers or HRM to do the right thing here.

Look at this disaster on Barrington across from Cornwallis Park
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=HALIFAX&hl=en&ll=44.639071,-63.569942&spn=0,0.046649&z=15&layer=c&cbll=44.639,-63.569925&panoid=9f7_F5XLRHwx9TdrI3v5AA&cbp=12,300.1,,0,0

Look at this disaster on Hollis across from Cornwallis Park
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=HALIFAX&hl=en&ll=44.639651,-63.570242&spn=0,0.046649&z=15&layer=c&cbll=44.639128,-63.569538&panoid=kNb1xBrIQZip2LlqdgZZ6Q&cbp=12,176.77,,0,0

Look at these two disasters on Barrington across from Cornwallis Park
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=HALIFAX&hl=en&ll=44.640101,-63.57014&spn=0,0.002916&z=19&layer=c&cbll=44.640129,-63.569994&panoid=bRoQq5c7L49YFPYt6NjGYg&cbp=12,241.15,,0,0

This could have been a grand Montreal style square/park but it is done Halifax style and looks like Highfield Park. When these brick buildings go and are replaced with more of the same crap our great planners will have wiped out an entire historic city block. HRMxDesign had the gall to show grand buildings where the Superstore is in their vision of this block. What kind of snow job is that....the Superstore is never leaving and what's even worse they were installing their gas bar when HRmxDesign was suggesting great buildings for the site.....how pathetic...but people sucked it up.

someone123
Jul 20, 2011, 7:31 PM
I tend to agree. The Cornwallis Park area could be a real highlight of the city and a focal point of a great neighbourhood. There's lots of history in that area, including many great old homes on the hill nearby, but it has largely been squandered. Most "news" for the square has consisted of stupid complaints about how they should get rid of the Cornwallis statue because Cornwallis was supposedly a kind of 18th century Hitler (talk about being historically tone-deaf -- some people seem to think every year is 1994, even a year in the mid-1700s).

To be fair, those lowrise apartments were built in the 1990s, which were a low point for Halifax. I believe that if they were rebuilt today they'd be significantly better buildings. Unfortunately, the damage has been done. Most councillors probably think the buildings are fine despite their simplified Disney-type styling and blank ground level facades.

Retaining the facade of those rowhouses doesn't seem unreasonable and it would be a way to save some of the city's important character. I don't even think the HRM would need to provide tax incentives to save the building -- they could do this with bonus height allowances. A slender glass tower with some brick rowhouses, new underground parking, and maybe a couple of new storefronts on Hollis Street would be a wonderful addition to the area.

Keith P.
Jul 20, 2011, 8:37 PM
Since the Heritage Trust has railed against "facadism" I doubt you will get much help from them on this score.

As for the other examples cited, I agree that those Highfield Park -style apartments are a scourge wherever they appear and I would support banning that design anywhere in HRM. That type of building is a horror wherever they appear.

But as to the others, it is important to remember that the Superstore site was a gas station and car rental agency for decades prior to the store's construction, certainly for all of my living memory. So from that point of view one could argue the store development is a step forward, and the neighborhood certainly appears to support both it and the attached liquor store. As for the older brick office building on the corner of South and Barrington, it was the former Imperial Oil Building - interestingly enough, taking over from the building on Lower Water where O'Carrolls was and where Waterside Place is supposed to be built - and I always liked the design of that building, sort of 1950s modern. I find many of the other buildings in that neighborhood, both new and old, far more objectionable.

JustinMacD
Jul 20, 2011, 8:45 PM

Cafe Chianti has a beautiful new location just up the road on Barrington (it's at the bottom of a nice apartment complex.

someone123
Jul 20, 2011, 8:50 PM
Yeah, I don't agree about the 1950s building. I think it is great. Too bad the old brick building next door was replaced with a chipboard and plastic wonder.

Superstore dates to something like 1996, a period when there was very little demand for new development downtown. I think it probably was a positive change back then, and I've gone to the store many times. However, it's 15 years later, and there should be a continued push to improve the area.

I think a developer could make money building a mixed-use development with housing and smaller retail spaces fronting the square and then a Superstore in behind with parking underneath, or something similar. Superstore would also gain from having more customers nearby. It is an "everybody wins" type of scenario.

Empire
Jul 21, 2011, 2:14 AM
Whether the Superstore serves a useful purpose or not is only part of the issue. A large part of the problem is the crap developments that continually get past the gatekeeper. Downtown land is so valuable that very high standards could be placed on all development but HRM planning doesn't have the backbone to make it happen.....................

Crap Superstore design/materials in a very high profile location on Barrington.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=halifax&hl=en&ll=44.637819,-63.569727&spn=0,0.058365&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=27.497013,59.765625&z=14&layer=c&cbll=44.637891,-63.569754&panoid=MovNxXTV6LvQv-6esYygLQ&cbp=12,66.3,,0,0.39

Empire
Jul 21, 2011, 3:09 PM
This park across from the Sunlife building in Montreal has a great urban presence. Cornwallis Park had the potential for a similar appeal.

Montreal
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=montreal&hl=en&ll=45.499444,-73.571684&spn=0,0.023324&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=49.555967,95.537109&z=16&layer=c&cbll=45.498629,-73.570087&panoid=a7A7YbAc5_5s4yWo9XH0qA&cbp=12,346.43,,0,0

Halifax
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=halifax&hl=en&ll=44.639468,-63.570113&spn=0,0.046649&sll=45.499551,-73.571448&sspn=0.001641,0.002916&z=15&layer=c&cbll=44.639382,-63.570076&panoid=YF20paQjvnuXmaxOBdihhw&cbp=12,41.83,,0,0

Halifax crap
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=halifax&hl=en&ll=44.635467,-63.564491&spn=0,0.046649&sll=45.499551,-73.571448&sspn=0.001641,0.002916&layer=c&cbll=44.639382,-63.570076&panoid=YF20paQjvnuXmaxOBdihhw&cbp=12,221.83,,0,0&z=15

worldlyhaligonian
Jul 21, 2011, 7:01 PM
This is a very serious matter. These buildings should be saved. I wouldn't put any faith in developers or HRM to do the right thing here.

Look at this disaster on Barrington across from Cornwallis Park
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=HALIFAX&hl=en&ll=44.639071,-63.569942&spn=0,0.046649&z=15&layer=c&cbll=44.639,-63.569925&panoid=9f7_F5XLRHwx9TdrI3v5AA&cbp=12,300.1,,0,0

Look at this disaster on Hollis across from Cornwallis Park
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=HALIFAX&hl=en&ll=44.639651,-63.570242&spn=0,0.046649&z=15&layer=c&cbll=44.639128,-63.569538&panoid=kNb1xBrIQZip2LlqdgZZ6Q&cbp=12,176.77,,0,0

Look at these two disasters on Barrington across from Cornwallis Park
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=HALIFAX&hl=en&ll=44.640101,-63.57014&spn=0,0.002916&z=19&layer=c&cbll=44.640129,-63.569994&panoid=bRoQq5c7L49YFPYt6NjGYg&cbp=12,241.15,,0,0

This could have been a grand Montreal style square/park but it is done Halifax style and looks like Highfield Park. When these brick buildings go and are replaced with more of the same crap our great planners will have wiped out an entire historic city block. HRMxDesign had the gall to show grand buildings where the Superstore is in their vision of this block. What kind of snow job is that....the Superstore is never leaving and what's even worse they were installing their gas bar when HRmxDesign was suggesting great buildings for the site.....how pathetic...but people sucked it up.

Yes, but the HT could never allow us to have any well designed buildings surrounding a park. They can only be shitty, squat, replicas of shit.

JET
Jul 25, 2011, 7:33 PM
https://www.eastcoastcu.ca/SharedContent/documents/Dartmouth%20Construction_website%20summary.pdf

Credit Union on Ochterloney in Dartmouth, not sure if this has already been posted

someone123
Jul 25, 2011, 7:38 PM
https://www.eastcoastcu.ca/SharedContent/documents/Dartmouth%20Construction_website%20summary.pdf

Credit Union on Ochterloney in Dartmouth, not sure if this has already been posted

What a hideous building.

Empire
Jul 26, 2011, 12:23 AM
What a hideous building.

Are those sandbags around the main entrance? More economical than fake brick, vinyl or cinder blocks.

Jonovision
Jul 26, 2011, 1:34 PM
That's funny. I thought there was another rendering floating around of the Ochterloney Credit Union. Something a bit more attractive. Work is well underway though. Drove by yesterday and steel is sticking up out of what is left of the old structure.

spaustin
Jul 27, 2011, 1:21 AM
Geez the Octerloney Credit Union was ugly before the reno and apparently it's going to be ugly when they're done too.

resetcbu1
Jul 27, 2011, 4:16 AM
not sure if this is the place for this but this shows just how bad this problem has got, possibly one more business moving to the "burbs" how sad.

CH today:

Dealing with city hall a 'mind-bending experience'

By ROGER TAYLOR Business Columnist

Halifax businessman Michael Turner says he’s developed a whole new appreciation for the type of frustration developers must be encountering when dealing with city hall.

Turner, president of real estate counselling, evaluation and brokerage firm Turner Drake and Partners Ltd., says he’s been building and renovating mainly heritage buildings in Halifax for 31 years, and he’s never been more aggravated than by what he’s experienced recently, describing it as a "mind-bending experience."

In May, Turner says he acquired a property at the corner of Windsor and North streets that was until recently a real estate office. His plan was to renovate the building and simply connect it to Turner Drake’s existing offices at 6182 North St.

"It is a building that has been a target for vandals. (Century 21 Team One Real Estate Ltd.) was in there and had their windows smashed. And they put a graffiti wall up in an effort to appease the graffiti guys," Turner told me Monday.

He attempted to buy the building two years ago, he says, but the owners weren’t selling. He had all but given up trying to get the building and was investigating the possibility of moving his company to larger facilities in Burnside Park in Dartmouth.

He suspects the real estate company became discouraged. Out of the blue one Friday, Turner received a phone call from them asking if he still wanted to buy it.

"We said yes, and so we settled a deal with them within an hour."

The problems with the city started when Turner applied for a building permit, initially to renovate and raise the back of the building two storeys to allow it to be connected to the existing Turner Drake office. There was some push-back from the planning department.

But a carpenter friend suggested it would probably be easier to raze the building and replace it with another two-storey structure, this time with a full basement, since there was no historical significance to the building at the corner and it was such a target for graffiti.

"The issue really is that we wanted to put planters around the building (on two sides) and the planters on Windsor Street fall pretty well within the present encroachment of the existing building. The planters to North Street follow the line of our planters from our present building and the line of all of the gardens all the way down the street, and we’ve just gone round and round, round and round."

Putting planters in front of the building is an attempt to keep graffiti artists away and has been a very effective strategy at Turner Drake’s existing offices.

Turner insists that adding the planters to the building would be within the existing city bylaw, but he says the planning office simply doesn’t want planters included. Rather than staff simply approving the landscaping under the existing rules, Turner says, he’s been told he’d have to take the matter to city council for approval, which could take up to six months.

"What it boils down to is, nobody wants to make a decision because if they make a decision somebody might point the finger at ’em. They’re decision averse."

He presumes everyone who wants to build something in the city is having the same problem with the planning department over relatively minor issues.

"It’s no wonder that nobody wants to build anything."

Turner says he’s writing a letter to the planning department explaining his situation in one last attempt to resolve the problem.

"I’ve said in the letter that we’re starting to look again at Burnside. We would hate to leave our location but we need the space."

Another possibility, he says, is to expand Turner Drake’s Saint John, N.B., office and move some of the work and people currently in the Halifax office.

JET
Jul 27, 2011, 12:24 PM
the facade, brick, windows etc, on the Spring garden 'Dairy Queen' is being replaced.

JET
Jul 28, 2011, 12:18 PM
the empty lot next to the Company House on Gottingen has been excavated and footings are going in.

Empire
Jul 28, 2011, 12:41 PM
the empty lot next to the Company House on Gottingen has been excavated and footings are going in.

What are they building there?

JET
Jul 28, 2011, 1:15 PM
What are they building there?

http://www.thecoast.ca/RealityBites/archives/2010/06/10/saint-leonards-society-to-build-transitional-housing-project-on-gottingen-street/

Transitional Housing, the initial plan looked good, but then it was revised.

Empire
Jul 28, 2011, 4:17 PM
http://www.thecoast.ca/RealityBites/archives/2010/06/10/saint-leonards-society-to-build-transitional-housing-project-on-gottingen-street/

Transitional Housing, the initial plan looked good, but then it was revised.

Let me guess...it will look like this Gottingen St. crap?
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=halifax&hl=en&ll=44.656398,-63.589811&spn=0,0.023324&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=49.555967,95.537109&z=16&layer=c&cbll=44.656481,-63.589916&panoid=kx7tUn-0sg6kY3tyOHxWfg&cbp=12,233.19,,0,0

Or even worse, more like this Gottingen St. crap?
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=halifax&hl=en&ll=44.656749,-63.590305&spn=0,0.023324&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=49.555967,95.537109&z=16&layer=c&cbll=44.656791,-63.590355&panoid=b5xeHjyZd6E7Odult_oGcQ&cbp=12,233.19,,0,0

City planning staff seems to learn nothing from these horrid mistakes...WHY??

ZET
Jul 28, 2011, 11:50 PM
neither of those are transitional housing, just low rent apartments

Empire
Jul 29, 2011, 3:33 AM
neither of those are transitional housing, just low rent apartments

Is there a difference between low rent hidious apartments and hidious transitional housing?

JET
Jul 29, 2011, 11:59 AM
Is there a difference between low rent hidious apartments and hidious transitional housing?

Yes sometimes those who build transitional housing and those who live in transitional housing make more of an effort, than do those of low rent housing. Not always, but often. Transitional housing is often run by non-profits and there is often a commitmnet to the community. When I worked in group homes, we didn't keep up with the Jonses, we had to keep ahead of them.

Empire
Jul 29, 2011, 12:19 PM
Yes sometimes those who build transitional housing and those who live in transitional housing make more of an effort, than do those of low rent housing. Not always, but often. Transitional housing is often run by non-profits and there is often a commitmnet to the community. When I worked in group homes, we didn't keep up with the Jonses, we had to keep ahead of them.

Do you have any examples of transitional housing units?

Where do these fit in the mix?
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=halifax&hl=en&ll=44.654093,-63.587859&spn=0,0.023324&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=49.555967,95.537109&z=16&layer=c&cbll=44.654007,-63.587998&panoid=s3QhspW6wRLd_-qfvMfkAQ&cbp=12,87.23,,0,0

Northend Guy
Jul 29, 2011, 12:43 PM
DJ posted a rendering of this from Dawn Sloane's website a couple of months ago. See the Development Rumours thread post #964.

JET
Jul 29, 2011, 5:47 PM
Do you have any examples of transitional housing units?

Where do these fit in the mix?
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=halifax&hl=en&ll=44.654093,-63.587859&spn=0,0.023324&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=49.555967,95.537109&z=16&layer=c&cbll=44.654007,-63.587998&panoid=s3QhspW6wRLd_-qfvMfkAQ&cbp=12,87.23,,0,0

the thing with a lot of transitional housing is that it's meant to provide some anonymity for people and almost be invisible; so I won't point out places. I'm not sure what the above location is, but it looks OK.
The one being built was to have commercial space on the main floor, and then 3 floors of apartments and a rooftop patio. Then it was changed, no commercial on main floor, and no rooftop patio. I don't know if the design changed much, but I liked the original drawings.

Empire
Jul 29, 2011, 7:28 PM
the thing with a lot of transitional housing is that it's meant to provide some anonymity for people and almost be invisible; so I won't point out places. I'm not sure what the above location is, but it looks OK.
The one being built was to have commercial space on the main floor, and then 3 floors of apartments and a rooftop patio. Then it was changed, no commercial on main floor, and no rooftop patio. I don't know if the design changed much, but I liked the original drawings.

The development is too small for Gottingen St.. An effort should be made for larger developments that incorporate transitional/affordable housing units. Valuable real estate is not being used for its highest and best use in this area.

someone123
Jul 29, 2011, 7:47 PM
Apparently things like ground-floor retail and mixed incomes are seen as "frills". Normally groups behind these developments don't seem to appreciate the importance of improving the neighbourhood (hint: you want your low-income housing in a nice neighbourhood, not a ghetto), and the city doesn't even remotely seem to have it together enough to advocate for good urban design.

There's a general lack of creativity in many circles as well. It's odd because there are local universities, many local architects and so forth but the results of these developments are usually awful. Why aren't there better plans, like medium-sized mixed-income developments with some transitional housing, some condos for new buyers, and some mid-range units on top? The government subsidy would mean that the market-rate units could be subsidized (to offset the fact that they are in a building with transitional housing) a little and then the shared construction costs and amenities would make the whole development cheaper.

My guess is that the municipal and provincial bureaucracies make more elaborate plans impossible (see: Jazz -- trying to even build a routine condo in Halifax is like Russian roulette), but I am not really sure.